Date: 20/04/2024 08:40:36
ID: 2146395
Subject: Widespread liver problems

Reading in New Scientist today that:

1/3 of all adults have a potentially dangerous fatty liver.
Most don’t know it, because it is usually asymptomatic, but it can lead to life threatening conditions.
It is associated with obesity.

The condition is known as NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty-liver disease) or MASLD (Metabolic dysfunction associated steatotic liver disease).

I had never heard of this before, and it seems there is no monitoring for this condition, but it does seem like a very good reason to lose weight.

He said looking at no-one in particular.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2024 09:05:59
ID: 2146401
Subject: re: Widespread liver problems

Hypercholesterolaemia¡

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2024 09:12:14
ID: 2146403

The Rev Dodgson said:

Reading in New Scientist today that:

1/3 of all adults have a potentially dangerous fatty liver.
Most don’t know it, because it is usually asymptomatic, but it can lead to life threatening conditions.
It is associated with obesity.

The condition is known as NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty-liver disease) or MASLD (Metabolic dysfunction associated steatotic liver disease).

I had never heard of this before, and it seems there is no monitoring for this condition, but it does seem like a very good reason to lose weight.

He said looking at no-one in particular.

Okay

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2024 09:21:53
ID: 2146406

When I fell off a ladder, their X-Ray was temporarily down so they did a full torso CT scan.
I read the report with the CT images. It said my liver was 25% callcified. I asked my doctor what that meant and was told that this is considered normal for my age at the time. This was in 2008.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2024 13:03:57
ID: 2146519

So do can dangerously fatty liver not be detected by routine blood tests?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2024 13:06:50
ID: 2146522

Bubblecar said:

>A health care professional may take a blood sample from you and send the sample to a lab. Your doctor may suspect you have NAFLD if your blood test shows increased levels of the liver enzymes alanine aminotransferase (ALT) and aspartate aminotransferase (AST).

Your doctor may use the results of routine blood tests to calculate special scores, such as the FIB-4 or APRI. These scores can help doctors identify or rule out advanced liver fibrosis, or scarring.

Your doctor may perform additional blood tests to find out if you have other health conditions that may increase your liver enzyme levels.

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/liver-disease/nafld-nash/diagnosis#:~:text=Blood%20tests,-A%20health%20care&text=Your%20doctor%20may%20suspect%20you,the%20FIB%2D4%20or%20APRI.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2024 13:07:26
ID: 2146523

Bubblecar said:

So do can = So can

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2024 13:09:08
ID: 2146525

Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

>A health care professional may take a blood sample from you and send the sample to a lab. Your doctor may suspect you have NAFLD if your blood test shows increased levels of the liver enzymes alanine aminotransferase (ALT) and aspartate aminotransferase (AST).

Your doctor may use the results of routine blood tests to calculate special scores, such as the FIB-4 or APRI. These scores can help doctors identify or rule out advanced liver fibrosis, or scarring.

Your doctor may perform additional blood tests to find out if you have other health conditions that may increase your liver enzyme levels.

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/liver-disease/nafld-nash/diagnosis#:~:text=Blood%20tests,-A%20health%20care&text=Your%20doctor%20may%20suspect%20you,the%20FIB%2D4%20or%20APRI.

My GP told me my last blood tests (earlier this year) showed normal liver function.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2024 13:13:34
ID: 2146528

Bubblecar said:

Its function can be impaired without derangement of blood tests. Ditto most things.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2024 13:18:59
ID: 2146531

Bubblecar said:

If I recall the article correctly, you can get good indications from standard blood tests, but next to no-one does it.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2024 14:12:42
ID: 2146559

Bubblecar said:

Yes it can.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2024 14:26:08
ID: 2146571

roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

Yes it can.

Need follow up ultrasound. I’ve had plenty of them because haemochromatosis.. another risk factor.. for joy.

Or CT, MRI

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2024 14:28:16
ID: 2146576

Ian said:

roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

Yes it can.

Need follow up ultrasound. I’ve had plenty of them because haemochromatosis.. another risk factor.. for joy.

Or CT, MRI

Yeah every scan reduces your chances.

Reply Quote