Date: 19/04/2013 01:41:00
ID: 297234
Subject: "Error accessing the system registry" in Office VBA Editor

I’ve encountered a problem in the VBA editor of my Office applications. When I select Tools > References, I get “Error accessing the system registry”. I don’t know how long this error has existed because I rarely look at Tools > Reference. The problem is in the standard user account that I usually use, but not in the administrators account that I rarely use. However, I tried creating a new standard user account, but the error occurs there as well. I’m running Office 2010 in Windows 7 on a PC that’s about six months old. There doesn’t seem to be any other problem with the system (although a few days ago, I did have some sort of hiccup that seemed to be about the video card, and this was while Excel was in use, but I doubt it’s related).

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 01:46:16
ID: 297236
Subject: re: "Error accessing the system registry" in Office VBA Editor

KJW said:

Windows 7

64-bit version.

I can’t specifically recall ever looking a Tools > References on this system (the last time may have been on my old system more than six months ago).

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 07:50:00
ID: 297247

If you can access it through the admin log in, then it’s probably something to do with the permissions set up for user accounts. Try adjusting the permissions of the user accounts through the admin account…

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 08:18:40
ID: 297249

I haven’t had that problem, but I always run from an account with admin rights.

I’ll have a look with a non-admin account and let you know.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 08:40:40
ID: 297254

Just logged on with a guest account, and had no problem accessing Tools References.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 11:33:35
ID: 297313

I don’t know much about Windows or VBA, but this looks like a similar error. I assume you aren’t running Crystal Reports, but I guess that the repair suggestion ought to work.

But I’d be tempted to run ccleaner first – it’s pretty good at cleaning up minor registry stuff.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 14:08:00
ID: 297383

The Rev Dodgson said:

It isn’t account permissions because I also tried creating a new administrators account and it failed there also.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 14:11:00
ID: 297387

KJW said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

It isn’t account permissions because I also tried creating a new administrators account and it failed there also.

Re-install Office or use ccleaner?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 14:23:22
ID: 297393

PM 2Ring said:

I don’t know much about Windows or VBA, but this looks like a similar error. I assume you aren’t running Crystal Reports, but I guess that the repair suggestion ought to work.

But I’d be tempted to run ccleaner first – it’s pretty good at cleaning up minor registry stuff.

No, I’m not (as far as I know) running Crystal Reports, though I did see from the Microsoft site that to be a cause of my problem. I attempted their solution, but could not locate the problem using either method.

Where do I get ccleaner from?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 14:24:22
ID: 297394

KJW said:

PM 2Ring said:

No, I’m not (as far as I know) running Crystal Reports, though I did see from the Microsoft site that to be a cause of my problem. I attempted their solution, but could not locate the problem using either method.

Where do I get ccleaner from?

Google seems to escape you :P

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 14:25:51
ID: 297395

poikilotherm said:

I don’t think the problem is in Office because it does work in the administrators account that I created when the PC was new.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 14:29:33
ID: 297396

poikilotherm said:

Google seems to escape you :P

Well no. I just don’t trust Googled internet sites for something so close to the operating system as a registry cleaner.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 14:35:23
ID: 297398

I hoping hoping that the problem was with the specific user account and that it would be solved by creating a fresh account, but no.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 14:38:58
ID: 297400

KJW said:

I hoping hoping that the problem was with the specific user account and that it would be solved by creating a fresh account, but no.

It seems to me like your user accounts don’t have access to the registry and the VBA editor needs it. Could be wrong.

Can you run regedit through a user account?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 14:45:00
ID: 297403

poikilotherm said:

The problem isn’t with account permissions because newly created administrators accounts also fail.

poikilotherm said:

I can and have run regedit, but what then?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 14:45:40
ID: 297404

KJW said:

poikilotherm said:

The problem isn’t with account permissions because newly created administrators accounts also fail.

poikilotherm said:

I can and have run regedit, but what then?

There goes my theory then, that’s what.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 14:46:48
ID: 297405

poikilotherm said:

KJW said:

It seems to me like your user accounts don’t have access to the registry and the VBA editor needs it. Could be wrong.

I only looked quickly so I could be wrong, but I was able to access VBA Tools-references when using a guest account without admin rights.

I’m also using 64 bit Windows 7.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 14:49:14
ID: 297406

If ccleaner doesn’t fix it, re-install.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 14:49:29
ID: 297407

Try going to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14, then right click on Excel.exe. Click Properties. on the compatibility tab and check the box “Run as administrator” and click Apply/OK.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 14:51:24
ID: 297411

Sorry, I just saw you’re on 64 bit – it’s probably in the normal Programs file

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 14:56:04
ID: 297414

The problem is something that isn’t shared by ALL accounts, but it is transferred to NEW accounts, irrespective of the new account’s permissions (administrator or standard).

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 14:58:11
ID: 297415

The Rev Dodgson said:

I only looked quickly so I could be wrong, but I was able to access VBA Tools-references when using a guest account without admin rights.

I’ll have a check with my guest account.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 15:08:32
ID: 297419

KJW said:

I’ll have a check with my guest account.

The guest account also failed. However, my try did run the guest account for the first time.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 15:16:02
ID: 297421

Teleost said:

Sorry, I just saw you’re on 64 bit – it’s probably in the normal Programs file

Actually, it’s in the “Program Files (x86)” folder. The OS is the 64 bit version, but I don’t think Office is.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 15:20:04
ID: 297423

Teleost said:

Try going to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14, then right click on Excel.exe. Click Properties. on the compatibility tab and check the box “Run as administrator” and click Apply/OK.

Running Excel.exe from this account (where it fails) as an administrator WORKS!

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 15:22:01
ID: 297424

KJW said:

Running Excel.exe from this account (where it fails) as an administrator WORKS!

But running Excel from a newly created administrator account did NOT work.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 15:25:07
ID: 297426

I suspect that if I were to create a new administrator account and run Excel.exe from this account as THAT administrator, then it wouldn’t work.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 15:37:51
ID: 297433

KJW said:

I suspect that if I were to create a new administrator account and run Excel.exe from this account as THAT administrator, then it wouldn’t work.

Interestingly, I was wrong. I created a new administrators account. Though Excel failed when logged into that account, it succeeded when when I ran it logged into this standard account as that administrator.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 15:42:47
ID: 297438

KJW said:

poikilotherm said:

I don’t think the problem is in Office because it does work in the administrators account that I created when the PC was new.

The problem was probably caused by the installation of some other software that’s mucked up some registry entries. And hopefully re-installing Office will fix those registry entries.

Running ccleaner first is a good idea because it will get rid of obsolete registry entries. It’s not uncommon for software to leave a mess behind in the registry when you un-install it.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 15:44:40
ID: 297439

KJW said:

KJW said:

Interestingly, I was wrong. I created a new administrators account. Though Excel failed when logged into that account, it succeeded when when I ran it logged into this standard account as that administrator.

I think I know why. Maybe selecting the administrator account is only about the password and that the real administrator is the SYSTEM (a hidden account).

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 15:53:03
ID: 297440

PM 2Ring said:

The problem was probably caused by the installation of some other software that’s mucked up some registry entries. And hopefully re-installing Office will fix those registry entries.

Running ccleaner first is a good idea because it will get rid of obsolete registry entries. It’s not uncommon for software to leave a mess behind in the registry when you un-install it.

I should point out that the problem occurs in both the Office applications and Access which was a seperately purchased & installed application. Do you think just reinstalling Access would work?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 15:55:41
ID: 297441

The actual thing that fails is about getting the definitions of the various classes throughout the system.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 16:02:58
ID: 297442

KJW said:

PM 2Ring said:

I should point out that the problem occurs in both the Office applications and Access which was a seperately purchased & installed application. Do you think just reinstalling Access would work?

That might work. Or the Access installer might see that Office has already set up those registry entries and leave them as they are.

But I’m just guessing; wait to see what the actual Windows experts say.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 16:15:08
ID: 297448

PM 2Ring said:

KJW said:

PM 2Ring said:

That might work. Or the Access installer might see that Office has already set up those registry entries and leave them as they are.

That was my thought also.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 19:36:34
ID: 297581

If its a 32 bit client the registry on the 64bit machine is not where the 32 bit client expects it to be..

The keys will be under WOW64

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 19:41:36
ID: 297589

Dropbear said:

If its a 32 bit client the registry on the 64bit machine is not where the 32 bit client expects it to be..

The keys will be under WOW64

I don’t think this is a compatibility issue. I believe that once-upon-a-time it did work.

Yes, I did see “WOW” entries during my head-spinning examination of the registry and events last night.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 19:47:29
ID: 297591

BTW, what actually IS the registry? By that, I mean, how can I make sense of what the various entries in it actually mean? For a start, what does all that hexadecimal between the braces “{…}” actually mean?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 19:50:12
ID: 297595

KJW said:

BTW, what actually IS the registry? By that, I mean, how can I make sense of what the various entries in it actually mean? For a start, what does all that hexadecimal between the braces “{…}” actually mean?

It’s a database of key:value pairs in a hierarchical structure. The value can be of different types.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 19:51:20
ID: 297596

I actually did a blog post about WOW64:

http://newtonexcelbach.wordpress.com/2013/03/28/installing-dlls-on-64-bit-windows/

But I don’t think that will help your problem.

You shouldn’t have to mess around with the registry just to open the references in the VBE.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2013 20:11:51
ID: 297628

The Rev Dodgson said:

You shouldn’t have to mess around with the registry just to open the references in the VBE.

I agree, but I might have to if something stuffed up some entries.

I do feel a little bit more secure now that I know Excel works properly if run as an administrator. That is, at least I know Excel itself isn’t damaged and I rarely (if ever) need to access other applications anyway.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 19:11:51
ID: 298401

Well, tried running ccleaner on the registry, and the problem wasn’t fixed. I then tried the following sequence:

Uninstall Access
Run ccleaner on the registry
Install Access

That also didn’t work.

I’m somewhat hesitant about reinstalling ALL the Office applications, and I’m especially reluctant to reinstall Windows 7.

My biggest problem, assuming it’s a misconfigured entry in the registry, is how to find it. Any suggestions that doesn’t involve manually looking at each entry?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 19:13:23
ID: 298404

KJW said:

Well, tried running ccleaner on the registry, and the problem wasn’t fixed. I then tried the following sequence:

Uninstall Access
Run ccleaner on the registry
Install Access

That also didn’t work.

I’m somewhat hesitant about reinstalling ALL the Office applications, and I’m especially reluctant to reinstall Windows 7.

My biggest problem, assuming it’s a misconfigured entry in the registry, is how to find it. Any suggestions that doesn’t involve manually looking at each entry?

Could you simply do a system restore to the date prior to the error reading in the system?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 19:16:33
ID: 298407

monkey skipper said:

Could you simply do a system restore to the date prior to the error reading in the system?

I don’t know when the problem actually started, and I’m very reluctant to do any sort of extensive “Undo” operation.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 19:17:07
ID: 298409

KJW said:

monkey skipper said:

I don’t know when the problem actually started, and I’m very reluctant to do any sort of extensive “Undo” operation.

I would.

:-)

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 19:21:37
ID: 298416

monkey skipper said:

KJW said:

I’m very reluctant to do any sort of extensive “Undo” operation.

I would.

While I’m very thankful that the “Undo” button (or whatever) exists, I very strongly dislike using it.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 19:25:27
ID: 298419

KJW said:

monkey skipper said:

KJW said:

I’m very reluctant to do any sort of extensive “Undo” operation.

I would.

While I’m very thankful that the “Undo” button (or whatever) exists, I very strongly dislike using it.

Could you right click on the message that displays and select locate file or something similar to what is possible in XP?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 19:29:33
ID: 298422

monkey skipper said:

KJW said:

monkey skipper said:

I would.

Could you right click on the message that displays and select locate file or something similar to what is possible in XP?

I don’t know. The Help button wasn’t useful.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 19:30:00
ID: 298423

KJW said:

monkey skipper said:

KJW said:

How helpful

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 19:31:13
ID: 298427

KJW said:

monkey skipper said:

KJW said:

Right-clicking the MsgBox didn’t do anything.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 19:33:00
ID: 298428

KJW said:

KJW said:

monkey skipper said:

If you put the error message into google I would suspect strongly an array of explanations will display. there are often sites about such error messages and bulletin boards where they discuss the steps to fix the errors.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 19:35:11
ID: 298431

monkey skipper said:

How helpful

This helpful:

Some operations must access your system’s registration database. This error has the following cause and solution:

The registration database for your system has been corrupted.
Run the Setup program for the host application again.

For additional information, select the item in question and press F1 (in Windows) or HELP (on the Macintosh).

© 2010 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

However, that was the Offline Help screen. Maybe I should try the Online version.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 19:36:55
ID: 298432

KJW said:

monkey skipper said:

How helpful

This helpful:

Some operations must access your system’s registration database. This error has the following cause and solution:

The registration database for your system has been corrupted.
Run the Setup program for the host application again.

For additional information, select the item in question and press F1 (in Windows) or HELP (on the Macintosh).

© 2010 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

However, that was the Offline Help screen. Maybe I should try the Online version.

Sounds like a plan.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 19:38:41
ID: 298433

monkey skipper said:

KJW said:

KJW said:

If you put the error message into google I would suspect strongly an array of explanations will display. there are often sites about such error messages and bulletin boards where they discuss the steps to fix the errors.

I actually have done that and did find information about the error. The problem is that I need to find the offending registry entries and fix them.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 19:39:24
ID: 298434

KJW said:

monkey skipper said:

KJW said:

I actually have done that and did find information about the error. The problem is that I need to find the offending registry entries and fix them.

Does the error message have a number?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 19:44:09
ID: 298438

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?545433-RESOLVED-Sudden-quot-Error-accessing-the-system-registry-quot

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 19:45:16
ID: 298440

monkey skipper said:

Sounds like a plan.

The Online version said the same thing.

Anyway, I already have a good idea about what the error is about. It seems to be about the VBA editor making a request to the registry and that request being denied due to insufficient permissions.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 19:58:02
ID: 298451

wookiemeister said:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?545433-RESOLVED-Sudden-quot-Error-accessing-the-system-registry-quot

Thanks wookiemeister. :-) That seems to be along the same lines as what I’ve already read, BUT… it does provide more detail about the fix.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 20:11:06
ID: 298457

KJW said:

wookiemeister said:

Thanks wookiemeister. :-) That seems to be along the same lines as what I’ve already read, BUT… it does provide more detail about the fix.

normally you’ll find something in forums for this kind of thing

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 20:34:46
ID: 298471

Crispin said:

Smile Re: Sudden “Error accessing the system registry”

Another update:

iTunes (and other apps yet to come) may also cause this problem in Win7. This is because it runs a service which creates registry keys under the SYSTEM account. When VB tries to enumerate the keys under HKCR\TypeLib it fails and gives the error because the user running VB6.EXE (even if it set to run as administrator) does not automatically have READ rights to the key. At that point you get the “Error accessing the system registry” dialog. To workaround/fix this: 1. Download Procmon and PsExec from sysinternals. 2. Run Procmon and add a “ProcessName” filter with VB6.EXE as the process name. 3. Then Select Project->References. And the error dialog should pop up. 4. Switch to procmon and scroll to the end of the events list – you’re looking for the last “ACCESS_DENIED” message for opening a registry key under HKCR\TypeLib. 5. Thats the first key you need to change permissions on – so you’ll need to run regedit in the same account context that the keys were created in – the SYSTEM account. to do this install psexec on the windows PATH somewhere then run: psexec -i -d -s c:\windows\regedit.exe (obviously change the path if yours is different) this will run regedit through the SYSTEM account. You can verify that even the administrator account does NOT have permission to edit these keys by running regedit through a Start->Run dialog as this elevates the priv’ level to administrator. 6. Find the key you identified in step 4 – right click it and select Permissions. 7. Find the current logged on user that you use to run VB6 with and add them with full control to the permissions list. 8. Repeat steps 3-7 because there may be more keys that exhibit this behaviour, until the Project->References dialog appears in VB6 without error. You could also open the .vbp in notepad to see the references if you’re stuck and dont have time to do the above…..
Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 22:12:51
ID: 298551

I fixed it! :-)

It only took the editing of the permissions of a single key in the registry.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 22:30:13
ID: 298563

KJW said:

Congratulations!

How did you find which one?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 22:42:13
ID: 298565

The Rev Dodgson said:

KJW said:

Congratulations!

How did you find which one?

By running Procmon (downloaded from sysinternals). I had already done this the other night, but didn’t know how to filter the events so that only Excel events were displayed. While Procmon is capturing (Excel) events, evoke the error in Excel, then look for the key that has the “ACCESS DENIED”.

To edit the registry, one needs to run regedit under the SYSTEM account.

Post 298471 above outlines the procedure (for VB6).

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2013 23:03:54
ID: 298572

KJW said:

Post 298471 above outlines the procedure (for VB6).

One thing I should say is that whereas that post says to give the user “Full Control” permission, it is only necessary to give it “Read” permission.

I more-or-less followed this list which I obtained from elsewhere:

Administrators – Full Control
Everyone – Read
System – Full
Users – Read
Modify the user list to suite your needs.

Reply Quote