Date: 15/01/2019 11:56:47
ID: 1330370
Subject: lilliums

I’m in the SW and moved to a new house a year ago. In January some bulbs started growing into low clumps, couldn’t identify until winter/spring when they grew tall stems and flowered around Christmas time and then died back. I want to move them this year and all info says autumn is the time to do it but as last year they are already starting to send up green shoots. Does anyone know if I should move them now when it’s likely to get hotter over the next few weeks or leave them till autumn and move the whole plant. Apparently you can’t dig up lilliums and store like other bulbs but should dig and replant straight away. They grew in a sunny position and will be moving to a similar position (just closer to the house where we can enjoy the amazing perfume)

Reply Quote

Date: 15/01/2019 14:14:13
ID: 1330439
Subject: re: lilliums

wayne said:

I’m in the SW and moved to a new house a year ago. In January some bulbs started growing into low clumps, couldn’t identify until winter/spring when they grew tall stems and flowered around Christmas time and then died back. I want to move them this year and all info says autumn is the time to do it but as last year they are already starting to send up green shoots. Does anyone know if I should move them now when it’s likely to get hotter over the next few weeks or leave them till autumn and move the whole plant. Apparently you can’t dig up lilliums and store like other bulbs but should dig and replant straight away. They grew in a sunny position and will be moving to a similar position (just closer to the house where we can enjoy the amazing perfume)

It really is a bit hot right now.
Temp on my car thermometer as I arrived home at lunch;

Can dig and transplant if you keep all the root ball and soak them in well while shading the new shoots from the hot sun. If you really want to do it now, that is. I’d wait for a day when Huey drags some shade cloth over. (clouds)

Reply Quote

Date: 15/01/2019 20:49:53
ID: 1330648

Thanks for that info, I would rather wait until autumn but if they come up the same as last year the plant above ground will be quite substantial by then. I don’t know how well that would transplant. I’m surprised these bulbs come up at this time of year considering they don’t flower until Christmas.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/01/2019 07:05:43
ID: 1330713

wayne said:

Thanks for that info, I would rather wait until autumn but if they come up the same as last year the plant above ground will be quite substantial by then. I don’t know how well that would transplant. I’m surprised these bulbs come up at this time of year considering they don’t flower until Christmas.

If you want bulbs that flower without apprently needng leaves, try belladonna lilies.

As I said though wait for shady moist weather and still protect the shoots from sun while the plants are transitioning the transplant.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/01/2019 07:07:36
ID: 1330715

wayne said:

Actually once they have flowered the stems can be cut and the bulbs transplanted at that point. If they are tiger lilies as you suggest then the bulbs can be broken into pieces that will all grow.

Reply Quote