Date: 27/05/2008 02:39:49
ID: 15384
Subject: Inflation and Petrol prices

Hi all,

Just wanted to voice an opinion…….i know i know uffff here we go again someone with an idea.

With inflationary increases the government take on the GST also increase. Its like a hidden tax where the gst rate will never have to increase as long as we have inflation rather tha deflation.

eg. when bread or milk goes up by $1. then the gst take is 10 cents higher.

John Howard once gave himself a pat on the back with the introduction of GST and said the it now provides the states with rivers of money.

My question is do they publically declare how much GST was taken and what amounts were given to each state?

next question is why not keep the GSt on petrol and REMOVE the state exise (tax) component instead which is roughly at 40 cent in the dollar the last time i checked.

With all these tollways being rammed down our throats, its not like the fuel exise is being used on our roads

ok last Question:

why are workers frowned upon when asking for a payrise that exceeds the inflation rate of 3%. Politicians always whack the unions for asking for a 4 or 5% increase yet they, the pollies can recieve a 9% increase in pay (without considering super or any ather little packaged perk).
Over the past 5 years private health insurance has risen by 6% – 7% per year.

private health insurance = new tax for middle incomes

maybe i should just shut up and get job at Macquarie bank for ten years and retire for life.

We have lots of pollies and captains of industry, but where are our community LEADERS without vested interests.

off my soapbox again i promise this time for today LOL
i guess i missed the VIP summit.. i could have met Cate Blanchett LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 27/05/2008 04:39:34
ID: 15385
Subject: re: Inflation and Petrol prices

With inflationary increases the government take on the GST also increase. Its like a hidden tax where the gst rate will never have to increase as long as we have inflation rather tha deflation.
============
You could say the same about the taxes the GST replaced.. The gst IS fixed though, where the old taxes were not.

My question is do they publically declare how much GST was taken and what amounts were given to each state?
============
Yes they do.

next question is why not keep the GSt on petrol and REMOVE the state exise (tax) component instead which is roughly at 40 cent in the dollar the last time i checked.
=============
Excise is a federal thing, isn’t it?

With all these tollways being rammed down our throats, its not like the fuel exise is being used on our roads
=============
The tollways are optional. You can choose to go around them, or live where there are no toll roads. AFAIK, SA, Tassie and the NT have no toll roads. WA certainly has no toll roads,

why are workers frowned upon when asking for a payrise that exceeds the inflation rate of 3%. Politicians always whack the unions for asking for a 4 or 5% increase yet they, the pollies can recieve a 9% increase in pay (without considering super or any ather little packaged perk).
Over the past 5 years private health insurance has risen by 6% – 7% per year.
==============
Be good if a large part of the pollies’ pay was withheld until the next election to be paid if promises from the last election were kept..

We have lots of pollies and captains of industry, but where are our community LEADERS without vested interests.
=============
There are lots of people in sporting clubs, service clubs etc doing this quietly, but without the fanfair that is deserved..

Reply Quote

Date: 27/05/2008 08:44:38
ID: 15394

you’re in fine fettle this morning WH.

I worry that this ‘user pays’ business is unjust. only the rich can ‘pay’, but the poor must ‘use’ like anyone else.
ditch the GST altogether in my view. we are an incredibly tolerant people who are overtaxed full stop.
as for petrol – lower consumption or find an alternative – ethanol – i reckon.

this is pepe (on his soapbox and he reverses the right to change his views at any time)

Reply Quote

Date: 27/05/2008 08:48:45
ID: 15396

this is pepe (on his soapbox and he reverses the right to change his views at any time)
—-

…reserves the right…..
(brain doesn’t work in the mornings – or the nights – and i’m not too sure about the middle of the day either)

Reply Quote

Date: 27/05/2008 22:19:15
ID: 15465

sorry about the fettle pepe. must be the sleep deprivation.

There is a State and Federal excise as well as the GST on top.

there may be no tollways in certain states for now, yet there will Surely be a PPP of some sort. Public , Private Partnership.

Most people do avoid the tolls, hence the jammed Westgate bridge and free flowing Bolte bridge in melbourne. one example.

public Transport would be ok if it was up to scratch. The fee for service is questionable.

Btw as an alternative propulsion system….. we could use Natural Gas as Australia has plenty. The questions raised then How will it be TAXED and supplied. they don’t want us tapping into out gas supplies at home. hmmmmm wonder why? $$$$$ to be made

gonna get some sleep now LOL

WH

Reply Quote

Date: 28/05/2008 07:25:05
ID: 15510

we are starting to car pool. ms pepe shares with one other person and that halves both cosy and consumption.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/05/2008 07:40:33
ID: 15519

pepe said:

we are starting to car pool. ms pepe shares with one other person and that halves both cosy and consumption.

….costs and consumption – oh dear

Reply Quote

Date: 28/05/2008 07:45:33
ID: 15521

ethanol – i reckon.

All of us with older cars can’t use that

Reply Quote

Date: 30/05/2008 05:28:15
ID: 15832

Most suburban Milk Bars died a slow death when the Petrol station outlets stole their thunder and put then out of business.

With fuel prices rising so rapidly it will be interesting to see the effects on the way we shop.

The humble milk bar within walking distance and strip shopping may make a comeback.

Following the American style of Town planning and having sprawling capital cities may not have been the best way to go. Perhaps European styled regional villages.

Time will tell…………………………….

I might start buying shares in bicycle companies LOL
And learn how to build horse draw carts. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 30/05/2008 05:40:55
ID: 15833

The price of oil per barrel has almost doubled over the past 2 years and they say it is due to demand.

Has demand really doubled in 18 months??????????

The northern Hemisphere’s winter is over so oil using for heating etc should have reduced but oil is now looking to breach the $140p/barrel mark soon.

Are countries beginning to stockpile and therefore create the extra demand????

something just feels a little odd to me.

I remember when I was young, SUper was 35 cents per litre.
I walked 10 mile to school in the rain, barefoot. After having to sleep on a bale of straw with my 24 brothers and sister. We did it tough back then but they don’t build em like they used to……….. heheheheheheehe LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 30/05/2008 09:55:28
ID: 15849

I might start buying shares in bicycle companies LOL
—-
remember when everyone pushed their bicycles to school. where i was (in the city) we used to hog the roads in convoys 5 deep – motorists were forced to the other side of the road – and duly wrote to the papers saying how school aged kids were endangering life.

Reply Quote

Date: 30/05/2008 19:51:42
ID: 15996

When I first came to PNG, Diesel was K2.50 a litre, today it is K3.50. Pretty big leap in two years.

Reply Quote

Date: 30/05/2008 19:54:41
ID: 15998

pain master said:

When I first came to PNG, Diesel was K2.50 a litre, today it is K3.50. Pretty big leap in two years.

how much is that in Australian dollars.

Reply Quote

Date: 30/05/2008 20:05:15
ID: 16000

veg gardener said:

pain master said:

heaps

Reply Quote

Date: 30/05/2008 20:06:17
ID: 16001

i reckon soon there will be massive consequences from oil shortage and prices. governments worldwide are pretty powerless to do anything…and if there was something to do, they’re not serious enough at the moment. i think it will escalate rather quickly. recession on global scale.

Reply Quote

Date: 30/05/2008 20:07:59
ID: 16003

pain master said:

veg gardener said:

pain master said:

heaps

1 kina = approx 0.36 ozzie dollar at the moment

Reply Quote

Date: 30/05/2008 20:32:08
ID: 16010

>1 kina = approx 0.36 ozzie dollar at the moment

It was 1kina to A$1.60 when I was there…

Reply Quote

Date: 30/05/2008 20:36:19
ID: 16011

colliewa said:

>1 kina = approx 0.36 ozzie dollar at the moment

It was 1kina to A$1.60 when I was there…

It was in parity with the US dollar at one stage…

Reply Quote

Date: 15/11/2023 16:35:02
ID: 2094517

Just for currency in terms of currency in 2023.

Pump is going at about $2(+) / L while the energy content is about 9(-) kWh / L which makes the going rate $0.22 to $0.24 per kWh.

Of course we should utilisez le Système International d’Unités ou mourez when possible so let’s call that $66 / MJ.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/12/2023 07:13:37
ID: 2107082

SCIENCE said:

Just for currency in terms of currency in 2023.

Pump is going at about $2(+) / L while the energy content is about 9(-) kWh / L which makes the going rate $0.22 to $0.24 per kWh.

Of course we should utilisez le Système International d’Unités ou mourez when possible so let’s call that $66 / MJ.

or in other words, a lot of dosh.

Reply Quote