Date: 3/09/2016 09:20:38
ID: 950436
Subject: Blueberries

I know nothing. I ate some at breakfast. That’s the extent of my knowledge…

anyone else no any more?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/09/2016 09:31:32
ID: 950443
Subject: re: Blueberries

painmaster said:

anyone else no any more?

Not a lot. I’ve never grown them. They are scrumptious if you can get them fresh and they do keep longer than many other (so called) berries. Apparently grow easily where soil and climate conditions suit. Not a subject for my climate though.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/09/2016 09:45:43
ID: 950445

roughbarked said:

painmaster said:

anyone else no any more?

Not a lot. I’ve never grown them. They are scrumptious if you can get them fresh and they do keep longer than many other (so called) berries. Apparently grow easily where soil and climate conditions suit. Not a subject for my climate though.

Supposed to be good for you. My grandkids practically inhale them.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/09/2016 09:50:11
ID: 950448

bluegreen said:

roughbarked said:

painmaster said:

anyone else no any more?

Supposed to be good for you. My grandkids practically inhale them.

They are indeed yummy.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/09/2016 19:28:37
ID: 951618

Grow in slightly acidic soil as for azaleas. Water when the surface soil is drying out. They do love a good drink of worm wee.

There’s fights over MY blueberries ;)

Reply Quote

Date: 6/09/2016 19:55:35
ID: 951628

Little update on moi.
Next grandbaby due in Oct :) KK and LeLe are expecting their first. Hubby went a little overboard at the baby shops. He bought practical things but also toys that he likes, lol.

I’m stuck at home recovering, can’t leave the house other than a quick drive to the corner iga. Been dx’d with colitis. Bluddy toxic pharma meds nearly killed me and I ended up in hossy. I got out of there as soon as I could. I’m doing my own treatment, diet and natural herbal preps and feeling heaps better. I cleared the front garden of tall weeds and ended up with a trailer full. I’m turning it in the trailer and it’s breaking down well. The chooks will clean it of seeds next, then it’ll be ready to put back in the front.
Chooks..just coming back to laying the last 10 days or so and suddenly got a glut of eggs. Lin Lin is now 11 years old and still going strong. She will lay the occasional soft shelled egg but also a good egg now and then.

My little 18 month old grandson had a bad run of gastro and nothing seemed to be helping. So I went over to babysit armed with my home made yoghurt and raw honey mixed through. He loved it and ate the whole little pot. That did it..next day his runs stopped and he came good and quickly put on the weight he’d lost. Then I find out you’re not supposed
to give raw honey to bubs until they turn two, because of the risk of botulism.
I know nuffin!
But it worked :)

Max is doing great :)

Reply Quote

Date: 6/09/2016 19:56:04
ID: 951629

Opps. That was supposed to be in sept chat.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/09/2016 09:23:36
ID: 951747

Happy Potter said:

My little 18 month old grandson had a bad run of gastro and nothing seemed to be helping. So I went over to babysit armed with my home made yoghurt and raw honey mixed through. He loved it and ate the whole little pot. That did it..next day his runs stopped and he came good and quickly put on the weight he’d lost. Then I find out you’re not supposed
I know nuffin!

Hi HP. I suspect the botulism in raw honey is like the whole raw milk thing. Not a problem in properly managed systems. I read recently that someone did a comparison in the USA and discovered that raw milk was safer than eating green veg.

Sorry to hear about your gut issues. I do worry about the way medications are automatically prescribed and then people are left taking them indefinitely.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/09/2016 09:48:51
ID: 951751

bluegreen said:

Happy Potter said:

I know nuffin!

Hi HP. I suspect the botulism in raw honey is like the whole raw milk thing. Not a problem in properly managed systems. I read recently that someone did a comparison in the USA and discovered that raw milk was safer than eating green veg.

Sorry to hear about your gut issues. I do worry about the way medications are automatically prescribed and then people are left taking them indefinitely.

Not to mention they don’t work that well. In an effort to control symptoms the medication greatly increases ones chances of cancer.
No, bugger that. I’ve a fabulous biochemist helping me and others and we are currently trying to find a good holistic GP. I’ll be fine soon enough :)

The honey I gave the little one was from my own hive, filtered well and kept in a previously sterilized jar.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/09/2016 08:51:42
ID: 956483

I once picked Bluberries in Tumbarumba.

They have to be one of the worst fruits to pick for money.

Paid by weight. Berries had to be the correct size and you could only pick from dawn until 10AM as picking them during the heat of the day makes the fruit susceptible to damage.

Impossible to earn any decent money.

I still don’t like them.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/09/2016 10:21:42
ID: 956495

Teleost said:

Paid by weight. Berries had to be the correct size and you could only pick from dawn until 10AM as picking them during the heat of the day makes the fruit susceptible to damage.

I still don’t like them.

I’ve done my share of fruit picking. Olives are less profitable. Mark one and not get paid for the box. The box took an hour to pick and was worth $1.20. The downside is: Picking strawberries or blueberries etc, at least you get a feed. Try that with green olives off the tree.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/09/2016 04:54:55
ID: 958610

roughbarked said:

Teleost said:

I still don’t like them.

I’ve done my share of fruit picking. Olives are less profitable. Mark one and not get paid for the box. The box took an hour to pick and was worth $1.20. The downside is: Picking strawberries or blueberries etc, at least you get a feed. Try that with green olives off the tree.

Picking cranberries would be a damp job.

I have met a man whom can eat a green olive straight from the tree… poor chap.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/09/2016 19:52:22
ID: 958986

I have two blueberry plants – Denise and Blue Rose. Still very small. It would have been three, but one (Revielle) died over this last Winter. Actually the Revielle was quite a nice berry, I might get another and try again on that. Anyway, I’m lucky to get a dozen berries so far, but I don’t share them. Usually. I think I might have given Mr buffy one last year…

Anyway, I have various types of thyme bordering their bed and I feed them with camellia food and lots of mowed up oak leaves. They also seem to like a sprinkling of Aquasol occasionally.

I’d never been a fan, but the fresh ones off the bush are heavenly.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/09/2016 19:56:01
ID: 958998

buffy said:

I have two blueberry plants – Denise and Blue Rose. Still very small. It would have been three, but one (Revielle) died over this last Winter. Actually the Revielle was quite a nice berry, I might get another and try again on that. Anyway, I’m lucky to get a dozen berries so far, but I don’t share them. Usually. I think I might have given Mr buffy one last year…

Anyway, I have various types of thyme bordering their bed and I feed them with camellia food and lots of mowed up oak leaves. They also seem to like a sprinkling of Aquasol occasionally.

I’d never been a fan, but the fresh ones off the bush are heavenly.

I doubt I’d get any berries even if I did bother to grow them without netting. They may be very attractive to blackbirds and I don’t want to encourage them. It is hard enough trying to keep them off the strawberry patch.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/09/2016 07:08:07
ID: 959112

I net. I have a store bought garden arch over the top and I throw netting over that at the appropriate time.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/09/2016 07:30:55
ID: 959120

For me it is better to give the space to what people call kiwi fruit. Gets bucket loads and the birds don’t touch them.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/09/2016 09:30:20
ID: 959142

A friend has a plant and she put a wire cage over it, otherwise the birds got all the fruit.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/09/2016 21:17:11
ID: 959455

roughbarked said:

For me it is better to give the space to what people call kiwi fruit. Gets bucket loads and the birds don’t touch them.

Blergh….don’t like furry things. Although I’ll eat a white fleshed peach as long as I can peel it first.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/09/2016 08:49:09
ID: 959583

buffy said:

roughbarked said:

Blergh….don’t like furry things. Although I’ll eat a white fleshed peach as long as I can peel it first.

Yes. Some people are very sensitive to furry fruit. I worked with one family and the matriarch said that they once had a lovely farm of peaches but her boys made her pull them out because they couldn’t pick the peaches for the fuzz.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/09/2016 12:18:38
ID: 959649

buffy said:

roughbarked said:

I slice them in half and scoop out the guts with a teaspoon.

Reply Quote