Date: 6/11/2016 08:59:07
ID: 976736
Subject: November Chat 2016

There needs to be one of these in here.

I am still mowing and weeding. Presently picking peas, snap peas, asparagus, sprouting broccoli and purple cauliflower.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/11/2016 09:08:50
ID: 976738
Subject: re: November Chat 2016

buffy said:

Presently picking peas, snap peas, asparagus, sprouting broccoli and purple cauliflower.

Yum. Jealous!

Reply Quote

Date: 6/11/2016 09:28:17
ID: 976743

bluegreen said:

buffy said:

Presently picking peas, snap peas, asparagus, sprouting broccoli and purple cauliflower.

Yum. Jealous!

No broad beans?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/11/2016 12:02:50
ID: 976783

roughbarked said:

bluegreen said:

buffy said:

Yum. Jealous!

No broad beans?

There are a few plants in Casterton, I didn’t plant any here this year. I generally don’t eat the broad beans but give them to my neighbour and use the plant tops for mulch and dig the roots in. Last Sunday there was a Big Wind in Casterton, resulting in a power blackout from 4.00pm to 4.00am. It also blew over the broad bean plants. I was too busy consulting on Wednesday to see if I could stand them up again. I’ll shortly put Babuschka and myself in the car and go over there for an overnight gardening stay. A big blackwood wattle dropped it’s main trunk in the wind too. I’d planted it in 1999. They usually do better than that. But I have to start breaking up the branches so I can have a big chipping day soon.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/11/2016 20:32:44
ID: 977296

buffy said:

roughbarked said:

bluegreen said:

Yum. Jealous!

No broad beans?

There are a few plants in Casterton, I didn’t plant any here this year. I generally don’t eat the broad beans but give them to my neighbour and use the plant tops for mulch and dig the roots in. Last Sunday there was a Big Wind in Casterton, resulting in a power blackout from 4.00pm to 4.00am. It also blew over the broad bean plants. I was too busy consulting on Wednesday to see if I could stand them up again. I’ll shortly put Babuschka and myself in the car and go over there for an overnight gardening stay. A big blackwood wattle dropped it’s main trunk in the wind too. I’d planted it in 1999. They usually do better than that. But I have to start breaking up the branches so I can have a big chipping day soon.

I use broad beans as a way of improving beds and mulching them. The spin-off is more broad beans than I can eat. I cook some of the seeds as savoury crunchy snacks, freeze a lot and keep the rest to plant next season.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/11/2016 22:03:02
ID: 977362

roughbarked said:

buffy said:

roughbarked said:

No broad beans?

I use broad beans as a way of improving beds and mulching them. The spin-off is more broad beans than I can eat. I cook some of the seeds as savoury crunchy snacks, freeze a lot and keep the rest to plant next season.

I look at it this way, there’s a little less than half an acre to keep weed free. Planting broad beans thickly fixes that winter weed flush really well.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/11/2016 22:30:19
ID: 977396

roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

buffy said:

I look at it this way, there’s a little less than half an acre to keep weed free. Planting broad beans thickly fixes that winter weed flush really well.

They are a lot easier to turn to mulch and all you need to do is rake the seeds back into rows.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/11/2016 22:35:48
ID: 977399

roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

They are a lot easier to turn to mulch and all you need to do is rake the seeds back into rows.

You can grow whatever you want and get broad beans back when the weather cools.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/11/2016 22:46:29
ID: 977406

roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

I often plant corn on top of the dead plants. Corn, beans, corn, beans.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/11/2016 23:15:27
ID: 977428

roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

Right now, I’m planting corn on top of peas.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/11/2016 23:21:24
ID: 977429

roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

Right now, I’m planting corn on top of peas.

The broad beans are still in full production. Other pea trellises are getting youg tomatoes.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2016 07:11:57
ID: 977468

We have a November frost.

That puts paid to any ideas I had of planting out baby tomato plants today. But I’ll make sure their runs are ready for them.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2016 07:20:06
ID: 977469

buffy said:

That puts paid to any ideas I had of planting out baby tomato plants today. But I’ll make sure their runs are ready for them.

I’m watering as it as dry as a chip.
My minimums for this week 5°C 10°C 9°C 13°C 17°C 10°C 8°C

Reply Quote

Date: 9/11/2016 00:04:18
ID: 977783

roughbarked said:

buffy said:

Your mins are 7º to 19º too low….

Reply Quote

Date: 9/11/2016 06:35:13
ID: 977803

painmaster said:

roughbarked said:

buffy said:

‘gday pm.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/11/2016 20:57:52
ID: 978443

roughbarked said:

painmaster said:

roughbarked said:

‘gday pm.

G’day Roughy, up in Atherton at the moment, nice temps, warm but not too sweaty….

Reply Quote

Date: 9/11/2016 21:02:33
ID: 978449

painmaster said:

roughbarked said:

painmaster said:

‘gday pm.

G’day Roughy, up in Atherton at the moment, nice temps, warm but not too sweaty….

It is and has long been my choice of places to move to, if I could afford to. There or down the west side.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/11/2016 05:28:53
ID: 978730

roughbarked said:

painmaster said:

roughbarked said:

‘gday pm.

It is and has long been my choice of places to move to, if I could afford to. There or down the west side.

I walk past a few realtors on my way to the pub of an evening… they’ve got heaps of properties posted in their windows. I’ll check out the prices for you ;)

Reply Quote

Date: 12/11/2016 12:38:17
ID: 980018

first block of corn planted. I stuffed some cucumber seeds in the middle. Maybe they will groundcover for me.

Presently shelling peas. I also picked a few broccoli side sprouts and a handful of asparagus spears. I’m planning on satay chicken and veg for tea tonight. But the peas do not go in there. Too yum. They will be entree, lightly steamed and lightly buttered.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2016 08:25:41
ID: 980326

buffy said:

first block of corn planted. I stuffed some cucumber seeds in the middle. Maybe they will groundcover for me.

Presently shelling peas. I also picked a few broccoli side sprouts and a handful of asparagus spears. I’m planning on satay chicken and veg for tea tonight. But the peas do not go in there. Too yum. They will be entree, lightly steamed and lightly buttered.

peas go very nicely with chicken in a risotto…

Reply Quote

Date: 19/11/2016 10:52:29
ID: 983445

Reply Quote