Happy New Year!

Back at ya!

And you :)

and you and you and you.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/01/2017 02:47:14
ID: 1005663
Subject: re: January Chat 2017

My hydrangeas are in particularly fine form this summer.

photo IMG_20170103_205125_zps8swba9gc.jpg  photo IMG_20170103_205056_zpsqloka00n.jpg  photo IMG_20170103_205020_zps42vutk6r.jpg

Reply Quote

Date: 8/01/2017 00:04:10
ID: 1006828

bluegreen said:

My hydrangeas are in particularly fine form this summer.

Lovely blue that.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/01/2017 00:05:56
ID: 1006829

Our wet season finally arrived this week, so far 117mm has fallen, new shoots have appeared on many shrubs and trees and some nasty weeds have popped up their nasty heads. Am manually removing said weed whilst the soil is nice and moist.

The frogs are happy.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/01/2017 00:20:33
ID: 1006833

pain master said:

Our wet season finally arrived this week, so far 117mm has fallen, new shoots have appeared on many shrubs and trees and some nasty weeds have popped up their nasty heads. Am manually removing said weed whilst the soil is nice and moist.

The frogs are happy.

It is definitely easier on the back and the mind when weeds pull free from moist healthy soil.

I too have frogs all over my yard at the moment. I believe they are all banjo frogs of all sizes. I’d probably need to catch them all to see but they look similar enough for me to venture a guess that that are.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/01/2017 09:09:04
ID: 1007159

roughbarked said:

pain master said:

The frogs are happy.

It is definitely easier on the back and the mind when weeds pull free from moist healthy soil.

I too have frogs all over my yard at the moment. I believe they are all banjo frogs of all sizes. I’d probably need to catch them all to see but they look similar enough for me to venture a guess that that are.

Ours are a few different varieties of tree frog, but there is a rocket frog amongst ‘em…. plus the toads.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/01/2017 15:05:10
ID: 1013297

I noticed a few days ago that my quince tree has dropped all its fruit. It’s been getting watered. I wonder what its problem is.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/01/2017 15:16:41
ID: 1013302

buffy said:

I noticed a few days ago that my quince tree has dropped all its fruit. It’s been getting watered. I wonder what its problem is.

Look for fruit fly.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/01/2017 03:06:47
ID: 1013381

buffy said:

Has there been any sudden change in temperature?

Reply Quote

Date: 22/01/2017 09:53:27
ID: 1013625

bluegreen said:

buffy said:

It’s a bit of a weird Summer. We had a light frost in early December. It was late warming up this season. And the temperature has been up and down. We haven’t had a 40 degree day yet, but we’ve done mid thirties. And recent nights have dipped under 10. Perhaps it’s the variability.

The lack of fruit on the pomes and stones in Casterton is easily attributable to the beautiful ornamental lorikeets I seem to be keeping over there. Along with cockatoos, galahs and little corellas.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/01/2017 18:41:22
ID: 1013763

buffy said:

bluegreen said:

buffy said:

It’s a bit of a weird Summer. We had a light frost in early December. It was late warming up this season. And the temperature has been up and down. We haven’t had a 40 degree day yet, but we’ve done mid thirties. And recent nights have dipped under 10. Perhaps it’s the variability.

The lack of fruit on the pomes and stones in Casterton is easily attributable to the beautiful ornamental lorikeets I seem to be keeping over there. Along with cockatoos, galahs and little corellas.

Galahs don’t really attack fruit trees for the fruit but they can be damaging to any tree if that tree is all there is.
Lorikeets and rignecks like the fruit when it is green.

This season is doing lots of damage everywhere in fruit trees. Too much rain when it isn’t needed then not enough when it is needed.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2017 01:14:10
ID: 1013772

roughbarked said:

buffy said:

bluegreen said:

Galahs don’t really attack fruit trees for the fruit but they can be damaging to any tree if that tree is all there is.
Lorikeets and rignecks like the fruit when it is green.

This season is doing lots of damage everywhere in fruit trees. Too much rain when it isn’t needed then not enough when it is needed.

The Sulphur Cresteds will always take the last of my mangoes and the Pale Headed Rosellas don’t mind the occasional mango.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2017 01:50:56
ID: 1013788

I don’t get any almonds. The mallee ringnecks and the Major Mitchells clean them up. They try the same with my walnuts but there are too many walnuts for them to eat. The rats try the same but the sparrowhawks are ever vigilant. The ringnecks eat nectarines, peaches apples etc while they are green but also pig out on the persimmons when they are ripe. Even the butcherbirds do that though.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2017 02:16:51
ID: 1013795

Sulphur Crested Cockatoos are my problem. I reckon they are after the seed when they take the fruit.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2017 02:33:41
ID: 1013802

bluegreen said:

Sulphur Crested Cockatoos are my problem. I reckon they are after the seed when they take the fruit.

Yep.

Once I had a stray sulphur crested here with the Major Mitchells. I told him not to tell his mates where I live.

Same as I get the odd corella mixed with the galahs.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2017 04:02:40
ID: 1013859

the sulphur cresteds get into the cherry plums on the ground and crack out the seeds.

And they seem to have mistaken my bloodplums for cherry plums…

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2017 05:20:32
ID: 1013887

buffy said:

the sulphur cresteds get into the cherry plums on the ground and crack out the seeds.

And they seem to have mistaken my bloodplums for cherry plums…

It is all a smorgasbord for them.

Reply Quote

Date: 31/01/2017 14:03:53
ID: 1018543

G’day :) My ten year Aust. garden forum anniversary this month.

Birds are attacking my apples apricots and figs. I haven’t netted because I left them the top fruit but I bagged the lower with small bags made from sheer curtains. I haven’t photos because p’bucket seems to have a grudge against me and wont let me sign back in.

All is good with myself, family and GS. And dog.

I’ve been canning veges, soups and whatever else I can get my hands on. Today I canned home made baked beans, thirty three 8 oz jars. I have been so busy. I traded eggs for bags of unsterilized mushroom compost and got loads of fruit! Dried, marinated, pressure canned, there’s jars of them everywhere. They’ve stopped producing now with the heat but I have plenty to last. The mushie compost will go into a closed raised bed, an ibc half, for growing raspberries. At least they wont take over this time.
Picking lots of green beans too, that’ll be another double stacked load for the canner. I don’t know how I ever lived without that pressure canner! Nowadays I only need to shop for things I haven’t room to grow, and meats.
Chickens are getting zucchinis and any too large cucumbers. Silkie Lin Lin is now 11.5 yo, still lays the occasional egg. There’s a couple hamburgs now around 5 yo that aren’t laying, but they are good at keeping law and order in the henhouse and are just part of the household. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2017 02:36:18
ID: 1018671

Happy Potter said:

G’day :) My ten year Aust. garden forum anniversary this month.

Birds are attacking my apples apricots and figs. I haven’t netted because I left them the top fruit but I bagged the lower with small bags made from sheer curtains. I haven’t photos because p’bucket seems to have a grudge against me and wont let me sign back in.

All is good with myself, family and GS. And dog.

I’ve been canning veges, soups and whatever else I can get my hands on. Today I canned home made baked beans, thirty three 8 oz jars. I have been so busy. I traded eggs for bags of unsterilized mushroom compost and got loads of fruit! Dried, marinated, pressure canned, there’s jars of them everywhere. They’ve stopped producing now with the heat but I have plenty to last. The mushie compost will go into a closed raised bed, an ibc half, for growing raspberries. At least they wont take over this time.
Picking lots of green beans too, that’ll be another double stacked load for the canner. I don’t know how I ever lived without that pressure canner! Nowadays I only need to shop for things I haven’t room to grow, and meats.
Chickens are getting zucchinis and any too large cucumbers. Silkie Lin Lin is now 11.5 yo, still lays the occasional egg. There’s a couple hamburgs now around 5 yo that aren’t laying, but they are good at keeping law and order in the henhouse and are just part of the household. :)

Awesome Happy Potter! Living the dream! Dreaming is about the closest I get to gardening these days but I live in hope that one day I will be able to grow my own veges again. I had a lovely weekend with family. My son is over from living in America for 2 1/2 years and I had all three of my children, the two partners and the two grandchildren here. I figured it must be about 8 years since they have been all together with me as my son was in Sydney for 5 years before that.

photo DSCF0539_zpsxoonh63f.jpg

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2017 12:15:50
ID: 1018917

The birds have been consuming fruit here too. In Casterton where I am not there all the time, I don’t think I’ll get many fruit for me at all… maybe a few Bramley apples. Between the lorikeets, sulphur cresteds, corellas and galahs…..feasting has been avian.

I also made a note to myself today. I’m not going to put the mulch of sheep poo and old straw on the veggie garden any more as it just encourages the blackbirds to scratch it around. And they don’t respect my plants. So I’ll leave the dirt uncovered in the beds that aren’t completely baked every day. The baking ones will still need some mulch though, so the old stick garden will have to prevail.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2017 12:47:13
ID: 1018928

buffy said:

The birds have been consuming fruit here too. In Casterton where I am not there all the time, I don’t think I’ll get many fruit for me at all… maybe a few Bramley apples. Between the lorikeets, sulphur cresteds, corellas and galahs…..feasting has been avian.

I also made a note to myself today. I’m not going to put the mulch of sheep poo and old straw on the veggie garden any more as it just encourages the blackbirds to scratch it around. And they don’t respect my plants. So I’ll leave the dirt uncovered in the beds that aren’t completely baked every day. The baking ones will still need some mulch though, so the old stick garden will have to prevail.

Rat traps with either black or red fruit on them.

Reply Quote