Date: 4/10/2017 21:24:15
ID: 1127534
Subject: Outwards into October

I hope you have all been out there doing stuff. Buffy regularly reports action outdoors. Which is probably healthy for an optometrist type person.
Same for me where a lot of time is otherwise spent sitting on my coit. I’ve been out there shifting rocks in the semi-dark. Putting back a path where I’d shifted beds.

I really don’t think we should ever quit talking about gardening and other outdoor activities.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/10/2017 23:18:26
ID: 1127650
Subject: re: Outwards into October

roughbarked said:

I really don’t think we should ever quit talking about gardening and other outdoor activities.

Absolutely agreed!

Reply Quote

Date: 6/10/2017 07:57:00
ID: 1128282

I’m late getting all my citrus off. The fruit would normally be on the ground by now. It is the smallest citrus fruit I’ve ever seen this year.
No fruit fly seen yet this season. Hopefully the coldest winter for decades, gave them a bit of a fright.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/10/2017 23:27:59
ID: 1134264

I hear it has been raining at home (I’m not there by the way), which should mean when I do get home, I’ll need to cut some grass and remove some weeds from the vegetable garden.

Looking forward to it and missing it by the way.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/10/2017 13:56:36
ID: 1134535

so 68mm has fallen so far and the ground seems to be sucking it up like a big sponge. Amazing just how much greener the town looks with all the dust washed off. The frogs are very happy.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/10/2017 17:41:54
ID: 1134593

Inbetween showers, I have wandered around and cleaned up the garden a little… my Dragonfruit required a little support and some material to keep it tied to the right track. An orchid that I have in the fork of a tree which has not flowered for me before, has now flowered. It is a little bashed up due to the precipitation which continues to fall… I’m contemplating removing my mangoes from the trees. They are ever so close to harvest, but this wet rain after such a dry spell has split a few fruit, and this is probably my best season so far…

Reply Quote

Date: 20/10/2017 09:54:28
ID: 1134840

rainfall has passed the 100mm for this rain event…. blue skies this morning, hopefully a chance for the ground to suck up the puddles and for some warmth in the ground to generate new growth.

Would be nice to suggest that this could be the start of a proper wet season, but November and December can be horribly hot and dry.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/10/2017 15:16:17
ID: 1135065

I put six boxes of oranges through the jucer last night. another six or so to go.

I tend to freeze the excess as ice blocks for summer drinks.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/10/2017 16:00:19
ID: 1135086

roughbarked said:

I put six boxes of oranges through the jucer last night. another six or so to go.

I tend to freeze the excess as ice blocks for summer drinks.

And how many litres does 12 boxes of oranges make?

Reply Quote

Date: 22/10/2017 15:08:19
ID: 1136429

I seem to have been rather enthusiastic with the tomato seed. I have twelve varieties germinated. These are: Black Krim, Tigerella, Gorsse Lisse, San Marzano, Rouge de Marmande, Brown Berry, Brandy Wine, Mortgage lifter, Ananas Noir, Violet Jasper, Tommy Toe and Periforme. I should go out and prick out the biggest ones. My chilli and capsicum seeds aren’t doing well, but it is early. A few germinated, but then we had a couple of days trying to hit 30 degrees, and although I’d unzipped the mini greenhouse, they cooked. I’ll have to start them off again.

On the flower front, the roses have started. And the species gladdies are out. Babiana are finishing. Native frangipani is heavily in bud.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/10/2017 19:27:41
ID: 1136528

Some pictures. Roses – the pink one is flooding the kitchen with perfume. I’m not a great fan of pink roses, but this one gets to live because of the fragrance.

I can’t remember the name of this purpley one:

Reply Quote

Date: 22/10/2017 19:28:45
ID: 1136530

And the species gladdies

And columbines

Reply Quote

Date: 22/10/2017 19:30:01
ID: 1136531

And the beautiful quince flowers. As good has having a magnolia in the backyard, and a lot more useful

And the redcurrants are setting

Reply Quote

Date: 22/10/2017 21:08:14
ID: 1136567

buffy said:

I seem to have been rather enthusiastic with the tomato seed. I have twelve varieties germinated. These are: Black Krim, Tigerella, Gorsse Lisse, San Marzano, Rouge de Marmande, Brown Berry, Brandy Wine, Mortgage lifter, Ananas Noir, Violet Jasper, Tommy Toe and Periforme. I should go out and prick out the biggest ones. My chilli and capsicum seeds aren’t doing well, but it is early. A few germinated, but then we had a couple of days trying to hit 30 degrees, and although I’d unzipped the mini greenhouse, they cooked. I’ll have to start them off again.

On the flower front, the roses have started. And the species gladdies are out. Babiana are finishing. Native frangipani is heavily in bud.

Nice work with the tom seeds!

Reply Quote

Date: 25/10/2017 20:57:00
ID: 1138046

Hello :)
Sorry, I’ve been so slack to catch up. I never stop talking about gardening. And preserving the fruits of what I grow. But house renovations to do and gardening and cooking were put aside. New guttering and leaf guard all round, new floors, tiles down in all wet areas, large dark grey herringbone pattern and we love it! New guttering, my stars, you wouldn’t believe how much work we had to do just for that job to go ahead. Had to get other trades ppl in to do most of it. Remove twenty solar panels on the lowest rung and replace after new gutter was done, and remove roofing on the carport and the pergola. Old colourbond carport and pergola polycarbonate wasn’t going back on so ordered new stuff. The budget blew out- this meant a new ensuite bathroom rip out and refit, and hardwood floors to lounge and bedrooms will have to wait until next year. The main bathroom was done and it looks fabulous. We took the fernery frame off ourselves and got my apiarist friend to take the beehive offsite for the duration. New porch enclosure with two added windows, looks great and it stopped the severe wind and weather, and at the moment we’re repainting the eves.
To do all the tiling meant taking all the cupboards and furniture out and once it was outside we decided it wasn’t coming back in. We’d lived with second hand things from day dot so it was time to get new stuff just, for us. I’ve spent weeks listing three quarters of the house contents on free sites and it all got picked up. Only one trailer load went to the tip. I’ve had fun redecorating! We had a lot of things stored for giant son that were no longer needed, heaps of boxes of kitchen items and various bits furniture for when we changed over broken for unbroken, all went out. There’s so much space now, we think we’d forgotten just how big the house is.

Giant son is now permanently and forever housed in a secure unit for the severely mentally ill. He is fine and well looked after. We don’t see him because he no longer recognizes us, but we get weekly reports on how he is going. The grief is terrible and confusing, like you’ve lost a child except the child is still alive. We’re grateful for the help he is getting, and for the fun videos we have of the good times. We have to be careful we don’t hole ourselves up and wallow, gotta get out there and continue life and keep going.

Garden- fruit trees are blessing us with loads of lovely produce. I didn’t grow any winter veg though, no time. Chooks forever following me, beautiful eggs galore. Old Lin Lin the matriarch silkie is now 12 yo. She wont let anyone else take over while she’s still walking. She doesn’t lay now and even stopped going broody.

The grandbabies are growing, birthdays and family events getting bigger with more members :)
Ta ta for now. I promise I’ll try to pop in more often! And see if I can get photobucket to play nicely again. Gotta pick up the eldest daughter from tulla airport at 6 am, so it’s an early night for me :)

Reply Quote

Date: 26/10/2017 08:08:08
ID: 1138238

The winter was harsh and dry here. I had trouble growing anything much but the stuff I struggled with took off rapidly when spring arrived and since the two decent falls of 18 mm each. Am now munching on lotsa lettuce spinach and beetroot, peas and tomatoes at the same time. I only got a couple of handfuls of broad beans and the frosts decimated some fruit trees flowering. Looks like I’ll get very little in the way of fruit. My plumcot has been reduced to about a dozen fruits. My citrus was the smallest I’ve ever seen.
I’m considering getting truckloads of grape marc again because there’s no way I can afford to buy town water for the garden anymore. Grape marc is a good way to hold the water in the soil. Lasts heaps longer than straw mulch.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/10/2017 08:09:16
ID: 1138239

It is good to see that others are doing well in their gardening efforts.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/10/2017 09:45:18
ID: 1138267

No gardening happening here. My health means that the only things that grow are the ones that can look after themselves and at the moment that is mostly weeds. At the moment there are some iris flowers poking their heads above the weeds. For a while I had a local come and cut my grass when he did the CFA grounds but he has gone and got bowel cancer and I don’t expect to see him do it again. Another fellow came and did around the driveway area but inside the fence it is waist high with Spring annual grasses. Green for now but it will dry off before long, Summer is coming!

I am down to two bantams chooks and they are both broody. I am asking around for some fertile duck eggs to replace the ducks I lost over Winter to a fox. I’ve got this whizz-bang duck house sitting empty and I miss the duck eggs I had for breakfast.

I just had a lovely weekend with my two sisters. We are trying to get together once a year if possible but I can’t travel so it means them coming here from their homes in NSW.

I’m sorry to hear that GS no longer recognises you HP. That must be heartbreaking but it is good that he is in good care and you get updates. With all the work you are doing with the house you won’t know yourself! How to get a brand new house without moving!

Reply Quote

Date: 28/10/2017 14:25:39
ID: 1139356

Anyone recognise this?

Reply Quote

Date: 29/10/2017 08:23:01
ID: 1139680

roughbarked said:

Anyone recognise this?

Looks kind of familiar but couldn’t tell you what it is.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/10/2017 12:52:34
ID: 1139828

roughbarked said:

Anyone recognise this?

Plum?

Reply Quote

Date: 29/10/2017 13:21:25
ID: 1139834

My new ducks :)

Reply Quote

Date: 29/10/2017 14:16:59
ID: 1139847

bluegreen said:

roughbarked said:

Anyone recognise this?

Looks kind of familiar but couldn’t tell you what it is.

The neighbour came over with two leaves in his hands.
I said that leaf is from Box-Elder Maple, Acer Negundo.
This leaf looks kind of familiar but the name isn’t falling out of my head.

So yes. The same as what you said.

Reply Quote