Date: 29/06/2017 05:42:53
ID: 1084161
Subject: re: Consciousness helps us learn quickly in a changing world

Isn’t it an odd thing to be able to hunt around in ones own head, for memories, for feelings, for tools. Well, maybe to consider that might be aided by temporarily thinking of it as odd. Just doing that – trying to make it seem somewhat odd – could be an example of hunting, a trick. I could do that to fuck with the automated aspects, to unhide them. It could turn out like a loose spanner in a running gearbox, we’ll see.

I say hunting rather than summon, because sometimes it’s a work more like hunting.

Often I hunt for stumps for the fire, or hunt down my tools i’ve left around the place after a machine repair. Or the shovel that’s wandered out of the ute into the garden someplace.

Hunting internally to me seems similar. Finding whatever. Of course the things inside (my head) aren’t found by images of some internal terrain, it’s a different sort of terrain, more involving a feel-sense. Probably closer to feeling around with eyes closed, or in the dark.

I’m using the word hunting and exploring the possibility our ancestors hunting-for-food (shelter too, and mates) mental tools happened upon a few accidents over time with benefits.

When looking internally you don’t have to know exactly what you are looking for, and it’s all in the cranium anyway, very near, how far do you have to look? Very near and familiar. Handy really.

So what sort of accident of proximity/presence detection might result in enhanced internal hunting?

Reply Quote View full thread