Date: 14/08/2018 03:41:13
ID: 1262695
Subject: Plants in space?

What do you know about the success or otherwise of attempts to grow plants in space?

eg. Review and analysis of over 40 years of space plant growth systems

Some issues that have come up are:

ADVASC did well with seeds, managing two full generations of arabidopsis and one full generation of soybean with produced seed germination rates comparable to those on Earth.

On August 10 in 2015 astronauts were, for the first time ever, officially allowed to eat their space-grown vegetables.

The whole set of experiments can be seen as slowly working towards a protocol for the optimal growth, seed viability and sterilisation of space-based plants.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/08/2018 10:32:59
ID: 1262736
Subject: re: Plants in space?

It’s not plants in space but could we design a probe that lands on the Moon and/or Mars creates an enclosed dome and then starts to add various nutrients, water, gases, etc and then plant seeds to see if they grow. I imagine you wouldn’t be allowed to do it due to contamination but it should be something achievable

Reply Quote

Date: 14/08/2018 10:38:54
ID: 1262739

I wonder how cannabis plants in space would go?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/08/2018 12:45:48
ID: 1262833

Cymek said:

It’s not plants in space but could we design a probe that lands on the Moon and/or Mars creates an enclosed dome and then starts to add various nutrients, water, gases, etc and then plant seeds to see if they grow. I imagine you wouldn’t be allowed to do it due to contamination but it should be something achievable

Oh yes. I think that would be a great idea. There is/was already a project on the ISS (on the outside of the ISS) to look at how organisms grow in Martian conditions of radiation, soil and atmosphere.

Tau.Neutrino said:

That’s a very good point, medicinal plants rather than food plants. Opium poppy would be another good one, as the seeds can survive ungerminated for a very long time. Cannabis and hops are closely related. I can think of a use for hops in space.

“Well-known members of Rosales include: roses, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries, apples and pears, plums, peaches and apricots, almonds, rowan and hawthorn, jujube, elms, banyans, figs, mulberries, breadfruit, nettles, hops, and cannabis.” Hmm, bad news, I don’t think any of those have been tried yet.

One possibility that I’d love to try in space has been referred to by a farm researcher as “green panic”. Rather than taking up into space one or two species of herb, take up several hundred – plant them together in an area of a few square metres and see what thrives best. It’s a bit like the biological equivalent of combinatorial chemistry.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/08/2018 12:49:27
ID: 1262839

mollwollfumble said:

Cymek said:

Oh yes. I think that would be a great idea. There is/was already a project on the ISS (on the outside of the ISS) to look at how organisms grow in Martian conditions of radiation, soil and atmosphere.

Tau.Neutrino said:

That’s a very good point, medicinal plants rather than food plants. Opium poppy would be another good one, as the seeds can survive ungerminated for a very long time. Cannabis and hops are closely related. I can think of a use for hops in space.

I was going to bring that up. It could attract investors easily. As far as I know, it isn’t yet illegal to grow such things in space.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/08/2018 12:53:59
ID: 1262850

roughbarked said:

mollwollfumble said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

I was going to bring that up. It could attract investors easily. As far as I know, it isn’t yet illegal to grow such things in space.

Does that mean it’s also not illegal in international waters? And on Antarctica?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/08/2018 12:54:26
ID: 1262854

roughbarked said:

mollwollfumble said:

Cymek said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Imagines cannabis plantation is space!

Thousands of different varieties.

later

Millions of different varieties.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/08/2018 12:55:16
ID: 1262856

mollwollfumble said:

roughbarked said:

mollwollfumble said:

Does that mean it’s also not illegal in international waters? And on Antarctica?

Possibly, as long as you don’t transport the product anywhere?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/08/2018 12:56:41
ID: 1262859

roughbarked said:

mollwollfumble said:

roughbarked said:

plus it would be rather expensive dope.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/08/2018 12:57:01
ID: 1262860

JudgeMental said:

roughbarked said:

mollwollfumble said:

indeed.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/08/2018 13:14:14
ID: 1262884

JudgeMental said:

roughbarked said:

mollwollfumble said:

Why expensive? It’s often grown indoors even now.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/08/2018 13:27:10
ID: 1262891

mollwollfumble said:

JudgeMental said:

roughbarked said:

It would appear that it is mostly grown indoors.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/08/2018 13:43:56
ID: 1262894

mollwollfumble said:

JudgeMental said:

roughbarked said:

i’ll let you think about it. then get back to me when the penny drops.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/08/2018 14:30:23
ID: 1262913

JudgeMental said:

mollwollfumble said:

JudgeMental said:

Penny not dropping.

On a different topic, I’m trying to think up a biology-related insult for Good Scientist Cartoon and have been forced to admit that I’m lousy at insults. It’s no good calling someone a neanderthal because that’s almost human. An ass is the symbol for the Republican party. Bullshit makes good fertilizer. A sloth is cute. Dickhead is Richard Kopf, a Senior United States District Judge. Fathead = Pachycephalosaurus, which has redeeming features. Even a slime mould is fascinating.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/08/2018 14:42:21
ID: 1262920

mollwollfumble said:

JudgeMental said:

mollwollfumble said:

Penny not dropping.

On a different topic, I’m trying to think up a biology-related insult for Good Scientist Cartoon and have been forced to admit that I’m lousy at insults. It’s no good calling someone a neanderthal because that’s almost human. An ass is the symbol for the Republican party. Bullshit makes good fertilizer. A sloth is cute. Dickhead is Richard Kopf, a Senior United States District Judge. Fathead = Pachycephalosaurus, which has redeeming features. Even a slime mould is fascinating.

heaps of water. heaps of power.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/08/2018 15:02:47
ID: 1262921

FIFA removes corruption as an official misdemeanour from its latest code of ethics, introducing defamation and halving the time prosecutors have to bring other charges to light.”

That’s fixed that.

Reply Quote