Date: 15/08/2018 05:21:04
ID: 1263073
Subject: How we explain the behavior of others depends on our beliefs about their 'true selves'

How we explain the behavior of others depends on our beliefs about their ‘true selves’

Why did they do that? It’s a question we ask every day in attempting to understand the behavior of others and make meaning of the world around us. How we answer the question, however, varies depending on our moral attitudes toward the behavior.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 16/08/2018 00:22:34
ID: 1263564
Subject: re: How we explain the behavior of others depends on our beliefs about their 'true selves'

Tau.Neutrino said:

How we explain the behavior of others depends on our beliefs about their ‘true selves’

Why did they do that? It’s a question we ask every day in attempting to understand the behavior of others and make meaning of the world around us. How we answer the question, however, varies depending on our moral attitudes toward the behavior.

more…

> a bias to believe that people have “virtuous true selves“—the idea that, at least “deep down,” everyone is innately good. People who disapprove of a behavior are more likely to explain it in terms of the situation or circumstances rather than attributing it to the other person’s agency.

Interesting. Yes, now that you point it out. On encountering an axe murderer I would be more likely to look for reasons why the person behaved that way in terms of upbringing or mental illness, rather than just accepting that the person was bad. On the other hand, on encountering a Mother Teresa I would be less likely to look for mental illness as the cause.

> Cullen found that the more strongly participants condemned abortion, the more likely they became to report that some external factor (for example, peer pressure) must have caused the individual to make that choice. Also people’s reactions to someone who crosses political lines.

Interesting.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/08/2018 00:41:57
ID: 1263581
Subject: re: How we explain the behavior of others depends on our beliefs about their 'true selves'

I’ve never suffered from any phobia at all other than an inherent fear of other people’s fears. Though I admit that there isn’t room for fear when caught within the zone of influence of a lightning strike.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/08/2018 00:53:44
ID: 1263596

roughbarked said:

I’ve never suffered from any phobia at all other than an inherent fear of other people’s fears. Though I admit that there isn’t room for fear when caught within the zone of influence of a lightning strike.

What brought that on?

The “You can’t ask that” on schizophrenia tonight was interesting. Only one went out of their way to be violent to others. Plenty of talk about voices, personal tormentors, paranoia, and a bit on hallucinations. To what extent can mental illness be blamed for violent behaviour?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/08/2018 00:56:20
ID: 1263600

mollwollfumble said:

roughbarked said:

What brought that on?

The “You can’t ask that” on schizophrenia tonight was interesting. Only one went out of their way to be violent to others. Plenty of talk about voices, personal tormentors, paranoia, and a bit on hallucinations. To what extent can mental illness be blamed for violent behaviour?

What brought that on? Risk minimisation relies upon being wary of any risk.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/08/2018 00:59:02
ID: 1263604

roughbarked said:

mollwollfumble said:

roughbarked said:

What brought that on?

What brought that on? Risk minimisation relies upon being wary of any risk.

Ah, I see. A lot of people don’t do risk minimisation. Some play sport for example.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/08/2018 10:08:40
ID: 1263676

doesn’t get off to a good start that article.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/08/2018 10:32:24
ID: 1263683

transition said:

doesn’t get off to a good start that article.

Looks good to me. What do you see that I don’t?

Reply Quote