Date: 15/09/2018 14:59:42
ID: 1276443
Subject: Freeze-Dried Ice Age Wolf Pup & Caribou Found in Canada

Over 50,000 years old.

Two mummified ice age mammals – a wolf pup and a caribou calf – were discovered by gold miners in the area in 2016 and unveiled on Thursday at a ceremony in Dawson in Yukon territory.

It is extremely rare for fur, skin and muscle tissues to be preserved in the fossil record, but all three are present on these specimens, which have been radiocarbon-dated to more than 50,000 years old.

The wolf pup is preserved in its entirety, including exceptional details of the head, tail, paws, skin and hair. The caribou calf is partially preserved, with head, torso and two front limbs intact.

“To our knowledge, this is the only mummified ice age wolf ever found in the world,” said Grant Zazula, a local palaeontologist working with the Yukon government, who also emphasised the support of the local gold miners and mining community for palaeontology research.

Julie Meachen, a carnivore morphologist who works with ice age mammals at Des Moines University and will soon be doing research on the wolf pup, said: “When Grant sent me the pictures and asked me to participate I was really, really excited. I was sort of beside myself.

“We want to do an ancient DNA test to see who it’s related to and look at its microbiome to see if there are gut bacteria still there.”

Other researchers around the world reacted with similar excitement to the discovery of this ancient predator and its prey, which are well enough preserved to allow for future investigation of factors such as cause of death, diet, health, age and genetics.

Full Report

Reply Quote

Date: 15/09/2018 15:04:30
ID: 1276451
Subject: re: Freeze-Dried Ice Age Wolf Pup & Caribou Found in Canada

Bubblecar said:

Over 50,000 years old.

Two mummified ice age mammals – a wolf pup and a caribou calf – were discovered by gold miners in the area in 2016 and unveiled on Thursday at a ceremony in Dawson in Yukon territory.

It is extremely rare for fur, skin and muscle tissues to be preserved in the fossil record, but all three are present on these specimens, which have been radiocarbon-dated to more than 50,000 years old.

The wolf pup is preserved in its entirety, including exceptional details of the head, tail, paws, skin and hair. The caribou calf is partially preserved, with head, torso and two front limbs intact.

“To our knowledge, this is the only mummified ice age wolf ever found in the world,” said Grant Zazula, a local palaeontologist working with the Yukon government, who also emphasised the support of the local gold miners and mining community for palaeontology research.

Julie Meachen, a carnivore morphologist who works with ice age mammals at Des Moines University and will soon be doing research on the wolf pup, said: “When Grant sent me the pictures and asked me to participate I was really, really excited. I was sort of beside myself.

“We want to do an ancient DNA test to see who it’s related to and look at its microbiome to see if there are gut bacteria still there.”

Other researchers around the world reacted with similar excitement to the discovery of this ancient predator and its prey, which are well enough preserved to allow for future investigation of factors such as cause of death, diet, health, age and genetics.

Full Report

Good stuff.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/09/2018 15:18:41
ID: 1276465

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic wolf. Long will be that wolf. Better than he was before. Better…stronger…faster.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/09/2018 15:21:39
ID: 1276467

Worked out better than that episode in “Northern Exposure” about the mammoth.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/09/2018 15:24:05
ID: 1276468

What a cutie!

Long is wuffing his appreciation. Although he is looking out the window, so he might well be wuffing at a leaf or something.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/09/2018 15:26:16
ID: 1276469

Puts a new perspective on “Forever Young”

Reply Quote

Date: 15/09/2018 15:28:10
ID: 1276470

So I lifted Hei Long onto the computer table, pointed his face at the Pug puppy picture on the screen and he proceeded to sniff at the screen. Dogs are not supposed to recognize pictures….

Reply Quote

Date: 15/09/2018 15:35:52
ID: 1276472

buffy said:

So I lifted Hei Long onto the computer table, pointed his face at the Pug puppy picture on the screen and he proceeded to sniff at the screen. Dogs are not supposed to recognize pictures….

Try him on some youtube.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/09/2018 15:38:18
ID: 1276473

Michael V said:

ROFL.

I did enjoy that show. Nice and quirky.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/09/2018 17:26:54
ID: 1276533

sibeen said:

Michael V said:

ROFL.

“Fortitude” came to my mind.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/09/2018 17:59:27
ID: 1276547

buffy said:

sibeen said:

Michael V said:

ROFL.

I couldn’t finish watching “Fortitude”. It was too, well, too, I don’t know; too much, I guess.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/09/2018 18:01:55
ID: 1276549

Michael V said:

buffy said:

sibeen said:

ROFL.

I couldn’t finish watching “Fortitude”. It was too, well, too, I don’t know; too much, I guess.

I’d never heard of “Fortitude” until now.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/09/2018 18:20:53
ID: 1276555

sibeen said:

Michael V said:

buffy said:

It was very, very intense and really hard going. But we made it to the end.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/09/2018 18:33:15
ID: 1276564

buffy said:

sibeen said:

Michael V said:

It was very, very intense and really hard going. But we made it to the end.

I chickened out.

Reply Quote