Date: 15/09/2018 23:43:16
ID: 1276674
Subject: Where in the solar system?

Hi all,

I want to collect together 12 images of different solar system objects (either close up or distant) for a “Where in the solar system” quiz. Ideally a range from easy to nearly impossible to identify.

Not as easy as the rings of Saturn or an image of the Moon seen from Earth.

What are your 12 favourite solar system images?
Or any suggestions.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/09/2018 00:05:02
ID: 1276690
Subject: re: Where in the solar system?

I’ll have a think about this tomorrow.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/09/2018 00:05:04
ID: 1276691

mollwollfumble said:

Hi all,

I want to collect together 12 images of different solar system objects (either close up or distant) for a “Where in the solar system” quiz. Ideally a range from easy to nearly impossible to identify.

Or any suggestions.

I looked in my camera and I have a couple of attempts at partial lunar eclipses.

I have probably more aurora shots from a completely improbable location. Like once in fifty or more years opportunity.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/09/2018 00:08:00
ID: 1276694

Does Halley count?

Death valley?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/09/2018 00:29:24
ID: 1276711

Those poles of Jupiter ones.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/09/2018 07:34:11
ID: 1276759

sarahs mum said:

Does Halley count?

Death valley?

Halley’s comet from Giotto

Death valley – which one?

or Sahara from ISS?

Ian said:

Those poles of Jupiter ones.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/09/2018 08:07:03
ID: 1276767

mollwollfumble said:

Hi all,

Or any suggestions.

Venus from Akatsuki

Which for the following four from Mars? Vote for favourite.

Mars from Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter

Mars from Viking 1

Mars from Opportunity Rover

Mars from MSL Curiosity

Saturn from Cassini

Neptune from Voyager

Pluto from New Horizons

Pan from Cassini

67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko from Rosetta

Io from Galileo

Reply Quote

Date: 16/09/2018 08:44:08
ID: 1276772

mollwollfumble said:

Hi all,

Or any suggestions.

Phobos from MRO

Ceres from Dawn

Iapetus from Cassini

Hyperion from Cassini

Miranda from Voyager

Titan from Huygens

Ganymede from Galileo

Have I missed anything?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/09/2018 08:57:00
ID: 1276775

Now, that’s a dent.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/09/2018 09:00:39
ID: 1276776

I have been looking for my Radiation Safety Officer’s certificate for three days now. Has anybody seen it?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/09/2018 09:35:13
ID: 1276783

mollwollfumble said:

Hi all,

Or any suggestions.

Don’t know really.

I’d ask mollwollfumble.

But looking through the images so far, there’s none I’d call easy.

Is Jupiter red spot too easy?

Mars would be pretty easy I suppose.

For a hard one, anywhere on Earth that looks like another planet.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/09/2018 09:35:42
ID: 1276784

Here’s one for this thread – I’ve got it set as my wallpaper but have no label
?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/09/2018 09:40:26
ID: 1276787

I like the Mars one with the big green footprints.

I suppose the other Mars one, showing the mountains, is pretty easy.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/09/2018 10:55:34
ID: 1276831

> Is Jupiter red spot too easy?

Not too easy. Good one.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/09/2018 15:06:59
ID: 1276974

mollwollfumble said:

Hi all,

Or any suggestions.

OK, finished now and printing.
I couldn’t cut it down to less than 24, and am still kicking myself for missing Itokawa by Hayabusa.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/09/2018 15:13:02
ID: 1276982

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

Hi all,

Or any suggestions.

OK, finished now and printing.
I couldn’t cut it down to less than 24, and am still kicking myself for missing Itokawa by Hayabusa.

Space poo.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/09/2018 17:18:28
ID: 1277034

Ian said:

?

S’Ok guys, I’m getting closer without your assistance..

CHANDRA. Le télescope spatial Chandra est un observatoire dédié à l’étude des trous noirs, des galaxies et des étoiles lointaines dans le domaine des rayons X. Il pointe parfois aussi son optique vers les planètes du système solaire. C’est ce qu’il a fait en octobre 2011 en observant Jupiter alors qu’elle était frappée par un flux de particules très dense, émis lors d’une tempête solaire qui a généré une éjection de masse coronale.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/09/2018 17:24:20
ID: 1277037

Translation

Solar storms trigger northern lights on Jupiter eight times brighter than normal and hundreds of times more powerful than on Earth.
The Chandra Space Telescope is an observatory dedicated to the study of black holes, galaxies and distant stars in the field of X-rays . He sometimes also points his perspective towards the planets of the solar system. This is what he did in October 2011, observing Jupiter as it was hit by a very dense particle flow, emitted during a solar storm that generated a coronal mass ejection . This is the first time such an event has been observed in the X-ray field. The Chandra data are published in the Journal of Geophysical Research . They reveal that the solar particles strongly hit the magnetosphere of Jupiter (the region of space under the influence of the magnetic field of the planet) and push its boundary of more than a million and a half kilometers inland. This interaction causes gigantic, highly energetic aurora borealis that cover an area larger than the surface of the Earth. The effect of the solar storm is clearly observable in the two images below. The first was taken on October 2, 2011 when the particle flow was intense and the second two days later when the solar wind had returned to its usual pace. “There is a constant power struggle between the solar wind and the magnetosphere of Jupiter, we want to understand this interaction and what effect it has on the planet.” By studying how auroras vary, we can discover more about the region. of the space controlled by Jupiter’s magnetic field and how it is influenced by the Sun. Understanding this relationship is important for magnetic objects that are innumerable across the galaxy, such as exoplanets, brown dwarfs, neutron stars , “says William Dunn, lead author of the study. Starting next July, astronomers will benefit from one more tool to analyze Jupiter’s magnetic field with the planned arrival of the Juno probe and its eight scientific instruments to decode “ the Rosetta Stone of our solar system As Juno astronomer Scott Bolton called it during the launch of the spacecraft in 2011.

__

Ya. Thought it was Jupiter.. Solar wind.. Magnetic field

Youse can relax now

Reply Quote

Date: 16/09/2018 17:27:42
ID: 1277041

Ian said:

Ian said:

?

S’Ok guys, I’m getting closer without your assistance..

CHANDRA. Le télescope spatial Chandra est un observatoire dédié à l’étude des trous noirs, des galaxies et des étoiles lointaines dans le domaine des rayons X. Il pointe parfois aussi son optique vers les planètes du système solaire. C’est ce qu’il a fait en octobre 2011 en observant Jupiter alors qu’elle était frappée par un flux de particules très dense, émis lors d’une tempête solaire qui a généré une éjection de masse coronale.

Clearly an artist’s impression, so I hadn’t looked it up.

It appeared on Apod.
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160406.html

Explanation: Jupiter has auroras. Like near the Earth, the magnetic field of our Solar System’s largest planet compresses when impacted by a gust of charged particles from the Sun. This magnetic compression funnels charged particles towards Jupiter’s poles and down into the atmosphere. There, electrons are temporarily excited or knocked away from atmospheric gases, after which, when de-exciting or recombining with atmospheric ions, auroral light is emitted. The featured illustration portrays the magnificent magnetosphere around Jupiter in action. In the inset image released last month, the Earth-orbiting Chandra X-ray Observatory shows unexpectedly powerful X-ray light emitted by Jovian auroras, depicted in false-colored purple. That Chandra inset is superposed over an optical image taken at a different time by the Hubble Space Telescope. This aurora on Jupiter was seen in October 2011, several days after the Sun emitted a powerful Coronal Mass Ejection (CME).

Reply Quote