Date: 17/09/2018 14:17:07
ID: 1277387
Subject: Giant iceberg as large as a small country, finally heads out to sea

You wouldn’t want this in a shipping lane near you.

https://newatlas.com/giant-iceberg-free/56334

Reply Quote

Date: 17/09/2018 14:23:22
ID: 1277390
Subject: re: Giant iceberg as large as a small country, finally heads out to sea

PermeateFree said:

Pity we can’t use it as a fresh water supply.
I wonder what its worth

Reply Quote

Date: 17/09/2018 14:24:58
ID: 1277391
Subject: re: Giant iceberg as large as a small country, finally heads out to sea

Cymek said:

PermeateFree said:

I wonder what its worth

Nothing.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/09/2018 14:29:50
ID: 1277395

sibeen said:

Cymek said:

PermeateFree said:

I wonder what its worth

Nothing.

True but if it was worth it’s weight in fresh water even say at a cent a ton it’s worth a decent amount

Reply Quote

Date: 17/09/2018 14:33:31
ID: 1277397

From the article:

“Despite the small army of scientists and support staff swarming over it, the Antarctic has the justifiable reputation as the loneliest spot on Earth. It’s a small wonder, therefore that the sudden movement of a floating sheet of ice covering 6,000-km² (2,300-mi²) and 190-m (625-ft) thick wasn’t seen directly by human eye”

Jaysus, Antarctica is twice the size of Australia, basically no-one lives on it, and the article is surprised a very small slice doesn’t get seen.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/09/2018 14:34:23
ID: 1277398

Cymek said:

sibeen said:

Cymek said:

I wonder what its worth

Nothing.

True but if it was worth it’s weight in fresh water even say at a cent a ton it’s worth a decent amount

I pay $1.99 per kL (cubic metre, tonne) of council-supplied water.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/09/2018 14:35:06
ID: 1277399

Cymek said:

sibeen said:

Cymek said:

I wonder what its worth

Nothing.

Look, you seem like a nice bloke, what say I give you a decent price. 0.1 cent per tonne and it’s yours, done and dusted.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/09/2018 14:37:01
ID: 1277402

sibeen said:

Cymek said:

sibeen said:

Nothing.

Look, you seem like a nice bloke, what say I give you a decent price. 0.1 cent per tonne and it’s yours, done and dusted.

Will you chuck in a bridge

Reply Quote

Date: 17/09/2018 14:38:17
ID: 1277403

Cymek said:

sibeen said:

Cymek said:

sucks air through teeth

You drive a hard bargain.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/09/2018 14:41:53
ID: 1277405

Michael V said:

Cymek said:

sibeen said:

Nothing.

so ~$2.28 trillion, treated and delivered via pipes to houses.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/09/2018 14:43:36
ID: 1277406

Cymek said:

sibeen said:

Cymek said:

You’ll need a boat.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/09/2018 14:50:04
ID: 1277413

Michael V said:

Michael V said:

Cymek said:

so ~$2.28 trillion, treated and delivered via pipes to houses.

I’m only charging Cymek just over a billion.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/09/2018 14:51:06
ID: 1277414

could make a giant salad.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/09/2018 14:59:52
ID: 1277420

JudgeMental said:

could make a giant salad.

Yes. Lettuce do this.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/09/2018 21:40:35
ID: 1280080

Cymek said:

PermeateFree said:

I wonder what its worth

> it was regarded as a major scientific opportunity that would allow researchers to study 5,818 km² (2,246 mi²) of newly-exposed seabed that had been hidden for over 120,000 years.

I hadn’t thought of that. Serious scientific value.

Worth as an aircraft carrier. A new aircraft carrier costs up to $13 billion, but that includes propulsion and weaponry.

If you could establish a base there then there would be a value from the 12 nautical mile limit.

But as ice. Hmm. The wholesale value of ice is what? Retail, ice sells for $330 per tonne. About 5 times the price of iron ore. 3 times the price of coal. Half the price of rice. My main worry about selling that much ice is that it would flood the market. TIC.

As water, where on the coast of Australia is water most expensive? In South Australia, water prices are up to $3.65 per tonne. A floating sheet of ice covering 6,000-km² and 190-m thick weighs in at 1,000,000,000,000 tonne. I suppose 3.65 trillion dollars isn’t to be sneezed at, but there is a transportation problem.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/09/2018 21:49:49
ID: 1280082

mollwollfumble said:

Cymek said:

PermeateFree said:

I wonder what its worth

> it was regarded as a major scientific opportunity that would allow researchers to study 5,818 km² (2,246 mi²) of newly-exposed seabed that had been hidden for over 120,000 years.

I hadn’t thought of that. Serious scientific value.

Worth as an aircraft carrier. A new aircraft carrier costs up to $13 billion, but that includes propulsion and weaponry.

If you could establish a base there then there would be a value from the 12 nautical mile limit.

But as ice. Hmm. The wholesale value of ice is what? Retail, ice sells for $330 per tonne. About 5 times the price of iron ore. 3 times the price of coal. Half the price of rice. My main worry about selling that much ice is that it would flood the market. TIC.

As water, where on the coast of Australia is water most expensive? In South Australia, water prices are up to $3.65 per tonne. A floating sheet of ice covering 6,000-km² and 190-m thick weighs in at 1,000,000,000,000 tonne. I suppose 3.65 trillion dollars isn’t to be sneezed at, but there is a transportation problem.

A single million tonne object is not too big to transport by sea. Break it up carefully by explosives and drive chunks north for a 1 to 2 million dollar profit on each journey. That’s a tempting business proposition.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/09/2018 22:49:46
ID: 1280091

mollwollfumble said:

Cymek said:

I wonder what its worth

A single million tonne object is not too big to transport by sea. Break it up carefully by explosives and drive chunks north for a 1 to 2 million dollar profit on each journey. That’s a tempting business proposition.

The ice berg is off South America, so a trip of a million tonne piece to Chile or Argentina seems most feasible.

But let’s say we want to ship some chunks to an ice and water handling facility in Australia. I’d recommend taking over a coastal salt producing plant for the duration. They have coastal sites with good transportation and have experience in moving large quantities of both water and solid minerals.

Possible landing sites include Dry Creek, Whyalla and 3 other locations in South Australia.

Possible landing locations in Western Australia don’t seem to include salt producing plants because they are all too far north, or inland.

Reply Quote