Date: 4/11/2018 16:09:35
ID: 1298772
Subject: AI-generated portrait fetches over $400,000 at auction

There maybe some poor artists, but some computers can be very valuable. Is this art or are the buying AI history?

>>Last week, the first ever work of AI-generated art to be sold by a major auction house fetched US$432,500. The work, entitled Portrait of Edmond Belamy, is a depiction of a fictional character and sold for an astounding 45 times its upper estimate. However, many in the AI art community are frustrated such a basic example of algorithmic art has achieved this success.<<

https://newatlas.com/ai-art-auction-obvious-belamy/56984/

Reply Quote

Date: 4/11/2018 16:12:47
ID: 1298776
Subject: re: AI-generated portrait fetches over $400,000 at auction

PermeateFree said:

There maybe some poor artists, but some computers can be very valuable. Is this art or are the buying AI history?

>>Last week, the first ever work of AI-generated art to be sold by a major auction house fetched US$432,500. The work, entitled Portrait of Edmond Belamy, is a depiction of a fictional character and sold for an astounding 45 times its upper estimate. However, many in the AI art community are frustrated such a basic example of algorithmic art has achieved this success.<<

How much did Happy Feet gross?

Reply Quote

Date: 4/11/2018 18:48:05
ID: 1298855

PermeateFree said:

It’s good.

Better than all the other portraits. A problem with all the others is the eyes, which are wrong. The balance of the others isn’t as good, either. The portrait really is a novel way of painting.

> We fed the system with a data set of 15,000 portraits painted between the 14th century to the 20th. The Generator makes a new image based on the set, then the Discriminator tries to spot the difference between a human-made image and one created by the Generator. The aim is to fool the Discriminator into thinking that the new images are real-life portraits.

With an algorithm like that, it’s not surprising that something good was churned out. I’ve heard rumours on several occasions of something similar being used in generating pop music.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/11/2018 22:11:48
ID: 1299373

Years ago on the original SSSF, after reading a Ray Kurzweil book, I made a thread about AI generated art – paintings, poetry, jokes….

This thread made me wonder what Kurzweil has been up to since then.

Gallery of completed AARON paintings

http://www.kurzweilcyberart.com/aaron/static.html

I’ve been deeply involved in Artificial Intelligence research for nearly forty years, and for most of that time I’ve watched Harold Cohen create the most sophisticated “cybernetic” art program that I’m aware of. Called “AARON,” Harold’s AI-based program actually creates original paintings on your computer’s screen, each one completely different. If a human created paintings like AARON, we would regard him or her as an acclaimed artist. Indeed hard copies of AARON paintings have hung in museums around the world (London’s Tate Modern Galley, Amsterdam’s Stedelijk Museum, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Brooklyn Museum, and Washington Capital Children’s Museum, to name a few).

I’ve had a copy of AARON running on a large panel display in my lobby for the last two years, and it never fails to elicit enormous interest. It’s often hard to get people to leave the lobby to start our meetings. So I’ve exclusively licensed Harold’s remarkable art software, and my software team has created a polished product. You can download a free trial copy or view an AARON painting (rendered stroke by stroke) that I just created.

Your screen saver will then create an endless sequence of original art. Every unique painting that appears on your screen will be different from those that appear on the many copies of AARON running on computers around the world. It’s a lot more interesting than screen savers that always look the same. You actually see each line being drawn and each color being applied stroke by stroke. Already an artist with an international reputation when he started working on AARON in the early 1970s, Harold has spent nearly thirty years teaching the AARON software how to draw, his theory of color, and the secrets of composition. It’s an outstanding example of artificial intelligence in action.

Reply Quote