Date: 5/11/2018 18:45:14
ID: 1299239
Subject: Solar Powered Electricity for Industrial Use.

Just curious about whether large scale solar panels on the roofs of industrial users could directly power the factories given the complications of three-phase, differing voltages and the need for high currents?

Reply Quote

Date: 5/11/2018 18:45:55
ID: 1299240
Subject: re: Solar Powered Electricity for Industrial Use.

Witty Rejoinder said:

Just curious about whether large scale solar panels on the roofs of industrial users could directly power the factories given the complications of three-phase, differing voltages and the need for high currents?

Yes.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 5/11/2018 18:49:08
ID: 1299241

sibeen said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

Yes.

I ask because of the Victorian state government’s home solar pledge that they’re taking to the election. I reckon they should have an industrial one as well given the huge flat roofs of most factories.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/11/2018 18:49:42
ID: 1299242

I may expand. A few years ago I was designing multiple systems for a client where the installed solar panels was up to around 100 kW. Did probably around 40 sites of between the 50 and 100 kW. The biggest issue is dealing with the DNSP (power provider) as they can have very stringent rules for how much you can feed back into the grid. For some of them, ACTEW for instance, we couldn’t feed back at all.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/11/2018 18:52:27
ID: 1299243

sibeen said:

I may expand. A few years ago I was designing multiple systems for a client where the installed solar panels was up to around 100 kW. Did probably around 40 sites of between the 50 and 100 kW. The biggest issue is dealing with the DNSP (power provider) as they can have very stringent rules for how much you can feed back into the grid. For some of them, ACTEW for instance, we couldn’t feed back at all.

Interesting.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/11/2018 18:52:50
ID: 1299244

Witty Rejoinder said:

Could?

Yes.

Would it be the best or most efficient way?

Maybe not.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/11/2018 18:53:01
ID: 1299245

Witty Rejoinder said:

sibeen said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

Yes.

I ask because of the Victorian state government’s home solar pledge that they’re taking to the election. I reckon they should have an industrial one as well given the huge flat roofs of most factories.

They probably already have access to tax write offs and subsidies? If the price of power keeps going up they may do it anyway. Dunno how the economics are going to end up if hardly anyone is buying base load power but the infrastructure costs remain.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/11/2018 18:57:15
ID: 1299247

AwesomeO said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

sibeen said:

Yes.

They probably already have access to tax write offs and subsidies? If the price of power keeps going up they may do it anyway. Dunno how the economics are going to end up if hardly anyone is buying base load power but the infrastructure costs remain.

With the client I worked with it was more of a ‘to be seen to be green’ type deal. The payback just wasn’t there. I think the ROIs were out to about 12 or 15 years. They were a very large power user and paid very small tariffs on their electricity. On some usage rates they were down at around 3 cents per kWhr.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/11/2018 21:32:42
ID: 1299347

“SA Water is looking to install 152 megawatts of solar photo-voltaic generation and 35 megawatt hours of energy storage over the next two years, to realise its ambitious goal of achieving zero net electricity costs by 2020.

“Distributing generation and storage capacity across approximately 70 of its sites around the state is forecast to reduce SA Water’s electricity operating costs and deliver new revenue, to achieve the zero net outcome….

“An independent review of the deployment plan and economic assumptions has confirmed its feasibility, with benefits to be realised incrementally from the start of installation.”

https://www.sawater.com.au/news/solar-to-generate-water-savings

Reply Quote

Date: 5/11/2018 21:35:45
ID: 1299351

“SA Water will soon begin a $500,000 trial of a solar photo-voltaic (PV) and battery storage system at its Crystal Brook workshop, in an effort to further increase its energy self-sufficiency and contribute to the corporation’s goal of achieving zero net electricity costs by 2020….

“The installation of 100 kilowatts (kW) of solar PV and 50 kilowatt hours (kWh) of battery storage at the Crystal Brook workshop began earlier this month, with the panels to be in place before Christmas and the system commissioned in the New Year.

““Although small-scale, this trial will help validate the effectiveness of the technology in reducing costs, with a view for wider implementation at other SA Water sites across the state,” Roch said.

““Crystal Brook was chosen as the pilot site for quite practical reasons – its roof size and orientation, and potential for high-quality solar irradiance.”

https://www.sawater.com.au/news/crystal-brook-lights-up-sa-waters-energy-future

Reply Quote

Date: 5/11/2018 21:44:42
ID: 1299355

esselte said:

“SA Water will soon begin a $500,000 trial of a solar photo-voltaic (PV) and battery storage system at its Crystal Brook workshop, in an effort to further increase its energy self-sufficiency and contribute to the corporation’s goal of achieving zero net electricity costs by 2020….

“The installation of 100 kilowatts (kW) of solar PV and 50 kilowatt hours (kWh) of battery storage at the Crystal Brook workshop began earlier this month, with the panels to be in place before Christmas and the system commissioned in the New Year.

““Although small-scale, this trial will help validate the effectiveness of the technology in reducing costs, with a view for wider implementation at other SA Water sites across the state,” Roch said.

““Crystal Brook was chosen as the pilot site for quite practical reasons – its roof size and orientation, and potential for high-quality solar irradiance.”

https://www.sawater.com.au/news/crystal-brook-lights-up-sa-waters-energy-future

I was doing systems of 100 kW, without batteries, for around the $2000k mark, and that s without any ‘small technology certificate’ (stc) discounts. The client, with the stc discount, was probably doing it around the $150k mark. This seems way over the top pricing wise. I need to be paid as the consultant :)

Reply Quote

Date: 5/11/2018 23:50:38
ID: 1299425

“for around the $2000k mark, “

So, about 2 million dollars?

Reply Quote

Date: 5/11/2018 23:53:34
ID: 1299426

dv said:

“for around the $2000k mark, “

So, about 2 million dollars?

I was about to make a scathing comment but then noticed that someone may have introduced an extra zero into my post, the bastard.

Reply Quote