Date: 6/11/2018 15:17:16
ID: 1299606
Subject: New Studies, Linux/Ubuntu

No I don’t mean new studies as in clinical trials and that sort of thing. I mean I am doing new studies, and for the first time it’s got ‘science’ in it.

Bachelor of Computer Science at UNE, and starting this week. Today I went through my first week’s lectures (nice to have a public holiday where I actually have time to study).

First unit is “Introduction to programming in a UNIX environment,” using Linux. I have access to Turing at UNE, but I thought I’d have a bit of fun playing around with Linux on my own laptop, so I’m currently downloading Ubuntu (if the damn download would start).

I’m just wondering…. does anyone know what you could do with Linux? It’s my first try looking at it, and I have no idea what it’s used for, apart from being another OS. So with Linux here on my own laptop, any idea what the benefit is of having it?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/11/2018 15:23:26
ID: 1299610
Subject: re: New Studies, Linux/Ubuntu

How are you planning on running it on your lap top? Will you be doing a full installation, dual boot or running it as a live USB? Or, other?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/11/2018 15:24:57
ID: 1299612

JTQ said:

So with Linux here on my own laptop, any idea what the benefit is of having it?

It allows the person using the computer to feel morally superior, because they are supporting free open source, rather than the products of evil commercial empires.

It’s just an OS.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/11/2018 15:28:42
ID: 1299614

furious said:

How are you planning on running it on your lap top? Will you be doing a full installation, dual boot or running it as a live USB? Or, other?

Just booting from USB

Reply Quote

Date: 6/11/2018 15:29:39
ID: 1299616

The Rev Dodgson said:

It allows the person using the computer to feel morally superior, because they are supporting free open source, rather than the products of evil commercial empires.

It’s just an OS.

Ahh, fair enough then. I suspected that but thought I’d ask just in case there’s some major benefit to having it that I’m unaware of.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/11/2018 15:32:06
ID: 1299618

Should also opt for Persistence but, regardless, from experience running from USB can be slow…

Reply Quote

Date: 6/11/2018 15:33:28
ID: 1299621

Well my other option is to run it through virtualbox, which I’m still considering. I might just give that a go if it’s going to run quicker.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/11/2018 15:34:21
ID: 1299622

Can’t hurt to try the USB first off…

Reply Quote

Date: 6/11/2018 15:39:38
ID: 1299627

JTQ said:

No I don’t mean new studies as in clinical trials and that sort of thing. I mean I am doing new studies, and for the first time it’s got ‘science’ in it.

Bachelor of Computer Science at UNE, and starting this week. Today I went through my first week’s lectures (nice to have a public holiday where I actually have time to study).

First unit is “Introduction to programming in a UNIX environment,” using Linux. I have access to Turing at UNE, but I thought I’d have a bit of fun playing around with Linux on my own laptop, so I’m currently downloading Ubuntu (if the damn download would start).

I’m just wondering…. does anyone know what you could do with Linux? It’s my first try looking at it, and I have no idea what it’s used for, apart from being another OS. So with Linux here on my own laptop, any idea what the benefit is of having it?

I would have thought they’d start you off with Assembly.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/11/2018 15:40:04
ID: 1299629

Turing at UNE

———

Uh-oh. That brings back memories Four mates and I were mucking around one Friday lunchtime on Turing. We managed to crash it. Both computer labs were full. The collective loud sigh from the lab indicated that around 100 people didn’t save their assignments that were due immediately after lunch. We bolted. I was quite seriously worried for about a week that we’d get caught. I felt bad for the people whose work we wrecked.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/11/2018 15:45:35
ID: 1299631

Peak Warming Man said:

I would have thought they’d start you off with Assembly.

lol .. just something basic to ease us in to the concept of programming…..

I’ve already completed 3 units at Didasko/Latrobe but they were absolutely useless. Transferred to UNE and still negotiating claiming my 3 unit credits, but looks like I’ll get them.

So this year I’ve done HTML, CSS, Javascript and Java. I have little bits of prior experience with C#, XML/XSLT, VB(5 thru 2013), SQL and PHP (I’m sure there’s more I’m forgetting). This current unit at UNE is based on Python. Later on in this degree they’re also taking us through bits of Processing 2.0 (why?), C++ and Scala, as well as the HTML, CSS, Javascript and Java which I should easily fly through.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/11/2018 15:45:57
ID: 1299632

Michael V said:

Turing at UNE

———

Uh-oh. That brings back memories Four mates and I were mucking around one Friday lunchtime on Turing. We managed to crash it. Both computer labs were full. The collective loud sigh from the lab indicated that around 100 people didn’t save their assignments that were due immediately after lunch. We bolted. I was quite seriously worried for about a week that we’d get caught. I felt bad for the people whose work we wrecked.

You utter bastard.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/11/2018 15:46:26
ID: 1299633

JTQ said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

It’s just an OS.

Ahh, fair enough then. I suspected that but thought I’d ask just in case there’s some major benefit to having it that I’m unaware of.

I suppose I should confess that I’ve never actually used Linux :)

Reply Quote

Date: 6/11/2018 15:49:00
ID: 1299636

The Rev Dodgson said:

I suppose I should confess that I’ve never actually used Linux :)

lol .. reminds me of Monkey Business with The Marx Brothers.

Distressed woman: A doctor! I need a doctor!
Harpo and Chico come over and start hassling her
Distressed woman: Oh you fools! I’m not the patient!
Chico: Well, we’re not a doctor. (wanders off)

Reply Quote

Date: 6/11/2018 15:51:50
ID: 1299637

Peak Warming Man said:

Michael V said:

Turing at UNE

———

You utter bastard.

Yeah, I know, right. 100 people had to do another semester, because they failed. The knock-on effect to the Australian economy was enormous.

I was in therapy for years over it. Then I realised: they should have saved their work…

Reply Quote

Date: 6/11/2018 17:16:45
ID: 1299706

I’ve never had Linux much, but used to use Unix and the immitation unix known as cygwin.

I find it is better than both windows and android for the following:

Also, for fun, I open up the clock on the desktop.

And open up a pair of eyes that follow the cursor around the screen – never lose your cursor again.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 06:51:08
ID: 1300354

If you already run Windows 10 and you mostly need the Linux command line, give Windows Subsystem for Linux a try. Microsoft have implemented a compatibility layer that allows Linux applications to run within Windows.

JTQ said:

So with Linux here on my own laptop, any idea what the benefit is of having it?

I mostly develop applications for Linux servers, so running Linux means I can work on things in their native environment without a virtual machine.

As mollwollfumble mentioned, a Unix-like environment is the best place to program in many languages (particularly C, which was created to write Unix in the first place).

Linux also doesn’t come with ads for Candy Crush in the start menu, and it goddamn restarts to install updates when I want it to. But that might be the smug superiority showing through :)

Reply Quote

Date: 9/11/2018 00:43:45
ID: 1300799

Hey cool, are you a distance or on-campus student?

Reply Quote