Date: 8/11/2018 08:07:06
ID: 1300361
Subject: Power bills up?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-08/high-voltage-fuelling-increased-electricity-consumption/10460212

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 08:37:31
ID: 1300368
Subject: re: Power bills up?

roughbarked said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-08/high-voltage-fuelling-increased-electricity-consumption/10460212

sibeen will be in later, he’ll explain that in the age of high tech an ohm is still a fucking ohm.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 08:39:53
ID: 1300370

transition said:

roughbarked said:

sibeen will be in later, he’ll explain that in the age of high tech an ohm is still a fucking ohm.

I’m sure that he will. ;)

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 08:46:53
ID: 1300375

Where’s volty?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 09:05:10
ID: 1300382

roughbarked said:

“Based on the 254 volts I’m getting here, I’m roughly paying about $1,200 more for my electricity each year than I need to.”

He must have a very high electricity bill then.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 09:16:22
ID: 1300384

Just read the article. I cannot believe they didn’t drag the Voltscomissioner out of his cupboard.

And yeah, $1,200 more because the voltage is a tad high – ROFL, and I bet he’s got something to sell.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 09:23:42
ID: 1300387

sibeen said:

Just read the article. I cannot believe they didn’t drag the Voltscomissioner out of his cupboard.

And yeah, $1,200 more because the voltage is a tad high – ROFL, and I bet he’s got something to sell.

Any ideas on how much 10% high voltage would actually increase your consumption?

I guess it depends how much is used generating heat.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 09:25:00
ID: 1300388

The Rev Dodgson said:

sibeen said:

Any ideas on how much 10% high voltage would actually increase your consumption?

If it’s used generating heat, surely a thermostat would kick in quicker and even things out?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 09:32:50
ID: 1300390

pommiejohn said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

sibeen said:

If it’s used generating heat, surely a thermostat would kick in quicker and even things out?

Yeah, that was my point. Presumably power to lights and electronics is wasted, but if you are heating then every watt is the same regardless of the voltage.

What about fridges and air conditioners? Is there a loss in efficiency with higher voltage with them, or is power consumption for a given temperature drop about the same?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 09:37:37
ID: 1300392

>Yeah, that was my point. Presumably power to lights and electronics is wasted, but if you are heating then every watt is the same regardless of the voltage.

perhaps not quite so for reverse cycle, but yeah

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 09:41:14
ID: 1300394

A lot of this comes back to Australia deciding to play nice with others and standardise on the IEC voltage of 230/415 volts. Generally states in Australia produced voltage at 240 volts, the UK, NZ and others are in the same boat, there were countries in the IEC world who produced voltage at 230/400 and others who produced at 220/380 volts. They all got together and decided to ‘normalise’ the standard voltage to 230/400.

So out standards in Oz changed. The voltage didn’t. From memory the old standard was something like 240V plus/minus 10%. So the range was 216 to 264. With the new standard they tightened it up to 230 + 10% – 6%, so the range is now 216 at the low end to 253 at the high. The one thing the article does have correct is the pain in the arse solar production is for the energy providers. The network really wasn’t designed for it.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 09:48:04
ID: 1300396

transition said:

>Yeah, that was my point. Presumably power to lights and electronics is wasted, but if you are heating then every watt is the same regardless of the voltage.

perhaps not quite so for reverse cycle, but yeah

upping voltage on lines reduces the extent of the voltage sag (how low it gets, particularly important at loaded ends of lines), and of many loads reduces the I (current), including by reducing duty cycle on time, so keeping the voltage up can have power savings.

it’s why high voltage is used, a lovely discovery, that and the old fashioned brute power transformer. Of course there are lots of switching power conversion these days, which does quite well over a wide voltage range, and doesn’t mind a bit of a rest with higher voltages.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 09:58:02
ID: 1300399

sibeen said:

The one thing the article does have correct is the pain in the arse solar production is for the energy providers. The network really wasn’t designed for it.

With the costs of battery storage plummeting, only poor people will need the grid in a decade or so…

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 10:00:15
ID: 1300401

Yeah, solar subsidies are throwing money at rich people :)

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 10:02:35
ID: 1300402

sibeen said:

Don’t even need the subsidies for solar looking at most cost curves…although, to be fair, these things were done by economists so it’s probably safe to assume they’re wrong.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 11:03:45
ID: 1300429

poikilotherm said:

sibeen said:

Don’t even need the subsidies for solar looking at most cost curves…although, to be fair, these things were done by economists so it’s probably safe to assume they’re wrong.

peers over spectacles

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 23:58:13
ID: 1300784

sibeen said:

Was his annual bill, like, $50,000?

Reply Quote

Date: 9/11/2018 00:10:19
ID: 1300788

If you look at footage of buildings or trees or other things during a nuclear explosion, there are three distinct components: a thermal pulse, a high-pressure pulse, then a low-pressure pulse. The high-pressure pulse is obviously from the sudden increase in pressure from the explosion, but what causes the low-pressure pulse? It seems to be almost as powerful as the high-pressure pulse (though I haven’t checked this, only inferred it from videos.)

Reply Quote

Date: 9/11/2018 00:11:13
ID: 1300789

btm said:

If you look at footage of buildings or trees or other things during a nuclear explosion, there are three distinct components: a thermal pulse, a high-pressure pulse, then a low-pressure pulse. The high-pressure pulse is obviously from the sudden increase in pressure from the explosion, but what causes the low-pressure pulse? It seems to be almost as powerful as the high-pressure pulse (though I haven’t checked this, only inferred it from videos.)

Sorry, that was meant for chat.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/11/2018 00:18:42
ID: 1300791

btm said:

guess the explosion involves a displacement of atmosphere, then a collapse, + there’s a massive high pressure force outward that has to equalize, or start to equalize, so maybe that’s what you see.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/11/2018 21:46:05
ID: 1302223

over voltage has always been a problem of the power network

seen those scary looking buildings where electrical company have huge transformers and bars everywhere?

theres a small meter that measures the current being drawn by local houses – the more current drawn the hotter the wires to those houses so they bump the voltage up at the transformer to account for the voltage drop – theres a team within the power company called “voltage regulation” – they install and fault find all the problems regarding voltage regulation

regardless of the regulation the end of electrical circuits can be at a voltage level much higher than normal – this has always been a problem

the thing that drives cost to the consumer are the power companies demand for money per KWh used by the customer..

when electrical power was cheap the same inefficiencies would have been present but no one noticed as power was cheap. now power is expensive its more noticeable but only because prices per KWh have soared.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/11/2018 21:57:31
ID: 1302232

and of course voltage will vary at you house depending on demand – the more demand on the power system in your street the higher the voltages will go to ensure correct voltage at the end of the line

the longer the circuit the more likely over voltage will occur.

in this case you complain and they switch off the circuit to your street / local area (11 kv network) and adjust the number of turns in your local transformer to adjust voltage in a much more localised area

as an apprentice i helped this crew of fellahs to commission a 132KV/ 11KV transformer

they couldn’t make the thing work – i realised what might be the problem and was told to shut up by the drunk of the team so i sat back whilst they cursed and raged over the solution

when the drunk walked off the job – disgusted at his incompetence i moved back in to the job – first i demonstrated that the tap selector had been wired incorrectly (when you selected up the turns were selected down and vica vers, the tap selctor was a three phase motor so by changing over two phase wires eg red white blue changed to red blue white – the 3 phase tap selector worked correctly.)

the second problem presented

when the tap was selected inside by the brain sometimes it would work , sometimes not – i realised that there was something wrong with the circuit but not recognisable by an apprentice or by looking at the voluminous circuit diagrams – i finally persuaded the fellah i was with to call the dept assigned to designing the circuits and we discovered that we had fitted a superfluous relay that was competing with a relay inside the control building. all up it took 2 hours to rectify and test the transformer.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/11/2018 23:04:34
ID: 1302264

>regardless of the regulation the end of electrical circuits can be at a voltage level much higher than normal – this has always been a problem

i’d guess demand has increased, it’s a sprawl, many upgrades have been deferred (possibly into non existence), like extra transformers, extra wire, and the geniuses figure solar etc are going to tighten the voltages up (offset sag) over the range of load variations. Certainly would add a new dimension to dynamic regulation.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/11/2018 22:02:33
ID: 1305549

transition said:

>regardless of the regulation the end of electrical circuits can be at a voltage level much higher than normal – this has always been a problem

i’d guess demand has increased, it’s a sprawl, many upgrades have been deferred (possibly into non existence), like extra transformers, extra wire, and the geniuses figure solar etc are going to tighten the voltages up (offset sag) over the range of load variations. Certainly would add a new dimension to dynamic regulation.

i got it arse about tit

i meant to say its the end of the circuit closest to the transformer

you bump up the voltage to make sure the end of the circuit has 230 / 240 V under load

Reply Quote