Date: 8/11/2018 22:53:32
ID: 1300764
Subject: Molecular Solar Thermal Energy Storage

Molecular Solar Thermal Energy Storage

Researchers have invented a liquid isomer that can store and release solar energy.
The team has solved problems other researchers have previously encountered.
The discovery could lead to more widespread use of solar energy.
In the last year, a team from Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, essentially figured out how to bottle solar energy. They developed a liquid fuel containing the compound norbornadiene that—when struck by sunlight—rearranges its carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen atoms into an energy-storing isomer, quadricyclane. Quadricyclane holds onto the energy, estimated to be up to 250 watt-hours of energy per kilogram, even after it cools and for an extended period of time. For use, it’s passed through a cobalt-based catalyst, at which point the energy is released as heat. The team’s research could be a breakthrough in making solar energy transportable and thus even more usable for meeting real-world energy needs.

What’s more, the team has been adjusting the molecular makeup of their fuel so that it doesn’t break down as a result of storage and release cycles. It can be used over and over again. “We’ve run it though 125 cycles without any significant degradation,” according to researcher Kasper Moth-Poulsen.

As a result, the scientists envision a round-trip energy system they call MOST, which stands for Molecular Solar Thermal Energy Storage.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 23:00:26
ID: 1300766
Subject: re: Molecular Solar Thermal Energy Storage

dv said:

Researchers have invented a liquid isomer that can store and release solar energy.
In the last year, a team from Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, essentially figured out how to bottle solar energy. They developed a liquid fuel containing the compound norbornadiene that—when struck by sunlight—rearranges its carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen atoms into an energy-storing isomer, quadricyclane. Quadricyclane holds onto the energy, estimated to be up to 250 watt-hours of energy per kilogram, even after it cools and for an extended period of time. For use, it’s passed through a cobalt-based catalyst, at which point the energy is released as heat. The team’s research could be a breakthrough in making solar energy transportable and thus even more usable for meeting real-world energy needs.

What’s more, the team has been adjusting the molecular makeup of their fuel so that it doesn’t break down as a result of storage and release cycles. It can be used over and over again. “We’ve run it though 125 cycles without any significant degradation,” according to researcher Kasper Moth-Poulsen.

As a result, the scientists envision a round-trip energy system they call MOST, which stands for Molecular Solar Thermal Energy Storage.

Sounds good, let’s hope it’s a goer.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 23:00:58
ID: 1300767

So 0.9MJ/kg, about what a good lithium-ion battery can do.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/11/2018 23:56:48
ID: 1300782

Shouldn’t that be MoSTES?

Also, can you make heat packs out of it? :-p

(No seriously though, this is cool.)

Reply Quote

Date: 9/11/2018 16:15:44
ID: 1301045

dv said:

MOST is taken. It means My Own Space Telescope.

> They developed a liquid fuel containing the compound norbornadiene that—when struck by sunlight—rearranges its carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen atoms into an energy-storing isomer, quadricyclane. Quadricyclane holds onto the energy, estimated to be up to 250 watt-hours of energy per kilogram, even after it cools and for an extended period of time.

I bet that it doesn’t absorb sunlight very efficiently. Despite that, it may end up working better than phase change energy storage.

I can’t read the full technical paper yet.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/11/2018 04:38:10
ID: 1302280

mollwollfumble said:

dv said:

> They developed a liquid fuel containing the compound norbornadiene that—when struck by sunlight—rearranges its carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen atoms into an energy-storing isomer, quadricyclane. Quadricyclane holds onto the energy, estimated to be up to 250 watt-hours of energy per kilogram, even after it cools and for an extended period of time.

I bet that it doesn’t absorb sunlight very efficiently. Despite that, it may end up working better than phase change energy storage.

Technical article https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/2018/ee/c8ee01011k

This is a solar water heater with added storage in the form of chemical storage. The energy not absorbed by the chemical is not wasted, but is available for immediate use and is storable for the length of time that the hot water insulation keeps it hot. The chemical storage is available for longer, the half life is 30 days. I like this system.

> The onset of this absorbance extends to 380 nm, thus leading to a calculated 4.0% absorption of all incoming photons from the solar spectrum

I can live with that. The actual rate of absorption may not be as high as the calculated value for several reasons.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/11/2018 08:29:22
ID: 1302293

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

dv said:

Technical article https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/2018/ee/c8ee01011k

This is a solar water heater with added storage in the form of chemical storage. The energy not absorbed by the chemical is not wasted, but is available for immediate use and is storable for the length of time that the hot water insulation keeps it hot. The chemical storage is available for longer, the half life is 30 days. I like this system.

> The onset of this absorbance extends to 380 nm, thus leading to a calculated 4.0% absorption of all incoming photons from the solar spectrum

I can live with that. The actual rate of absorption may not be as high as the calculated value for several reasons.

So in effect you get an extra 4% stored as heat?

Wouldn’t it be easier and more effective to install an extra panel and high efficiency hot water storage tank?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/11/2018 15:07:17
ID: 1302407

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

Wouldn’t it be easier and more effective to install an extra panel and high efficiency hot water storage tank?

At present, yes.

There was a time when solar-electric was like that, worse than solar hot water. But it’s better now. Let’s watch what happens as the technology improves.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/11/2018 15:48:00
ID: 1302445

It’s not stored as heat, though. It’s stored as enthalpy.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/11/2018 15:58:44
ID: 1302451

dv said:

It’s not stored as heat, though. It’s stored as enthalpy.

OK, but you can only get heat out of it.

My point was that if they are only storing 4% of the input energy, and after 30 days you only get half of that back as low grade heat, there must be easier and cheaper ways of doing that.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/11/2018 16:06:03
ID: 1302455

mollwollfumble said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

At present, yes.

There was a time when solar-electric was like that, worse than solar hot water. But it’s better now. Let’s watch what happens as the technology improves.

Not really. Solar electric was always better than solar hot water because you got electricity as the end product, rather than just hot water.

Even if this technology gets much cheaper, its hard to see the benefit over solar hot water + a bigger storage tank with better insulation.

Reply Quote