Date: 10/11/2018 12:18:40
ID: 1301414
Subject: Armisitice Day

On Armistice Day
The Philharmonic will play
But the songs that we sing
Will be sad

Alexander (Sandy) CRANSTON was born on 8 Feb 1879 in Leith, Scotland. He died on 26 Mar 1918 in Pozieres, France.

John Buchan CRANSTON was born on 3 Apr 1882 at Direlton, East Lothian, Scotland. He died on 16 Jul 1916 in Vermelles, France.

William CRANSTON was born on 20 Jan 1884 in Scotland. He died on 14 Apr 1957 in Lauder, , Berwickshire, Scotland.

James Buchan “Jim” CRANSTON was born on 3 Jul 1887 in Scotland. He died on 18 May 1916 in Court Street, Haddington, East Lothian, Scotland.

Adam Lindsay CRANSTON was born on 12 Feb 1889 at Haddington, East Lothian, Scotland. He died on 13 Nov 1916 in Serre, France.

George McLean CRANSTON was born on 30 Sep 1892 at Haddington, East Lothian, Scotland. He died on 19 Jul 1963 in Australia

Robert “Bob” CRANSTON was born on 6 Aug 1899 in Scotland. He died on 5 Nov 1950 in Rozelle, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

And the band played the Flowers of the Forest.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/11/2018 12:32:14
ID: 1301418
Subject: re: Armisitice Day

The Green Fields Of France

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKHt43DDars

Reply Quote

Date: 10/11/2018 13:19:36
ID: 1301439

Might be worth taking a leaf out of New Zealand’s book…

———————

‘Roaring chorus’ to mark centenary of Armistice Day peace

It is almost a century since the signing of the armistice in a French forest banished the shattering sounds of the First World War and replaced them with the crescendo of peace.

That moment, on November 11, 1918, triggered a cacophony of joy around the world, though news of the ceasefire only reached New Zealand the following day.

School was abandoned for the day and factories came to a standstill as thousands of people filled streets in towns and cities across the country to celebrate.

The Evening Post in Wellington described a scene of “songs and cheers, miscellaneous pipings and blastings, and tootings and rattlings – a roaring chorus of gladsome sounds”.

That “roaring chorus” will be recreated at 11.02am this November 11 to mark the event’s centenary, a joyful noise to signal the end of a nationwide two-minute silence and the beginning of the fresh hope the end of the war brought.

A fanfare played by the bells of the National War Memorial Carillon during a ceremony in Wellington will strike the first notes, before celebrations ring out across New Zealand.

Church and cathedral bells will toll for up to 45 minutes, linking with similar campaigns in the UK, Germany and the United States.

The public are also invited to be involved, with vintage cars honking their horns, singing and drumming at community events and even a mine’s siren being used to mark the moment.

Tens of thousands of people are expected to bring horns, bells and hooters to a service at the Auckland War Memorial Museum, while in Hokitika cannon and period rifles will be fired.

Ships and boats around the coast will sound their horns to commemorate the troop ships, warships, merchant vessels and hospital ships involved in the war, with ferries, tugboats and HMNZS Canterbury in Wellington taking part.

Fire trucks and police cars will sound their sirens where they can, the TSS Earnslaw on Lake Wakatipu will recreate the tooting of its predecessor steamship Ben Lomond as it heralded the news with its horn, and KiwiRail’s train and ferry services will also take part.

An estimated 8000 railway employees fought during the war, at least 450 of them never returning home.

But when news of the armistice reached Otago, it was reported that “all the steam whistles and church bells in the district were going, and each railway engine in passing added its quote to the general rejoicing”.

KiwiRail acting chief executive Todd Moyle said: “A hundred years on, we can only imagine the joy and relief that Kiwis must have felt when they heard the war was over.

“Sounding the horns of our trains and ferries, as happened then, is a reminder of that joy, but also of the sacrifices that were made.”

Sarah Davies, director of ww100, the First World War centenary programme, said the roaring chorus would allow communities to break the silence in a way that is relevant to them.

“After four years of remembrance, we can now reconnect with the sense of joy and relief that swept the county when news of the end of fighting came through.

“The thanksgiving and jubilation overwhelmed the New Zealanders who had endured so much hardship and loss since 1914.”

from https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/108222178/roaring-chorus-to-mark-centenary-of-armistice-day-peace?rm=m

Reply Quote

Date: 10/11/2018 13:26:50
ID: 1301442

Neophyte said:

Might be worth taking a leaf out of New Zealand’s book…

———————

‘Roaring chorus’ to mark centenary of Armistice Day peace

It is almost a century since the signing of the armistice in a French forest banished the shattering sounds of the First World War and replaced them with the crescendo of peace.

That moment, on November 11, 1918, triggered a cacophony of joy around the world, though news of the ceasefire only reached New Zealand the following day.

School was abandoned for the day and factories came to a standstill as thousands of people filled streets in towns and cities across the country to celebrate.

The Evening Post in Wellington described a scene of “songs and cheers, miscellaneous pipings and blastings, and tootings and rattlings – a roaring chorus of gladsome sounds”.

That “roaring chorus” will be recreated at 11.02am this November 11 to mark the event’s centenary, a joyful noise to signal the end of a nationwide two-minute silence and the beginning of the fresh hope the end of the war brought.

A fanfare played by the bells of the National War Memorial Carillon during a ceremony in Wellington will strike the first notes, before celebrations ring out across New Zealand.

Church and cathedral bells will toll for up to 45 minutes, linking with similar campaigns in the UK, Germany and the United States.

The public are also invited to be involved, with vintage cars honking their horns, singing and drumming at community events and even a mine’s siren being used to mark the moment.

Tens of thousands of people are expected to bring horns, bells and hooters to a service at the Auckland War Memorial Museum, while in Hokitika cannon and period rifles will be fired.

Ships and boats around the coast will sound their horns to commemorate the troop ships, warships, merchant vessels and hospital ships involved in the war, with ferries, tugboats and HMNZS Canterbury in Wellington taking part.

Fire trucks and police cars will sound their sirens where they can, the TSS Earnslaw on Lake Wakatipu will recreate the tooting of its predecessor steamship Ben Lomond as it heralded the news with its horn, and KiwiRail’s train and ferry services will also take part.

An estimated 8000 railway employees fought during the war, at least 450 of them never returning home.

But when news of the armistice reached Otago, it was reported that “all the steam whistles and church bells in the district were going, and each railway engine in passing added its quote to the general rejoicing”.

KiwiRail acting chief executive Todd Moyle said: “A hundred years on, we can only imagine the joy and relief that Kiwis must have felt when they heard the war was over.

“Sounding the horns of our trains and ferries, as happened then, is a reminder of that joy, but also of the sacrifices that were made.”

Sarah Davies, director of ww100, the First World War centenary programme, said the roaring chorus would allow communities to break the silence in a way that is relevant to them.

“After four years of remembrance, we can now reconnect with the sense of joy and relief that swept the county when news of the end of fighting came through.

“The thanksgiving and jubilation overwhelmed the New Zealanders who had endured so much hardship and loss since 1914.”

from https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/108222178/roaring-chorus-to-mark-centenary-of-armistice-day-peace?rm=m

Thanks for this post.

:)

Not all sad.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/11/2018 13:31:34
ID: 1301448

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/07/eerie-recording-reveals-moment-the-guns-fell-silent-at-the-end-of-ww1-8114109/?ito=social&fbclid=IwAR0M6AGspVieo2FAAHm-35vhv2B7F61b2NCnhYaFNz6oTeAsa0CS4iFOpc4

Reply Quote

Date: 10/11/2018 15:40:39
ID: 1301534

Sydneysiders celebrating the news in Martin Place

Reply Quote

Date: 10/11/2018 15:54:26
ID: 1301537

sarahs mum said:

Sydneysiders celebrating the news in Martin Place

Unless it was an unseasonaly cold day in Sydney those people are wearing way too much clothing.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/11/2018 15:55:49
ID: 1301538

shouldn’t it be ‘‘Disarmistice Day”?

Reply Quote

Date: 11/11/2018 02:38:28
ID: 1301940

sarahs mum said:

On Armistice Day
The Philharmonic will play
But the songs that we sing
Will be sad

Alexander (Sandy) CRANSTON was born on 8 Feb 1879 in Leith, Scotland. He died on 26 Mar 1918 in Pozieres, France.

John Buchan CRANSTON was born on 3 Apr 1882 at Direlton, East Lothian, Scotland. He died on 16 Jul 1916 in Vermelles, France.

William CRANSTON was born on 20 Jan 1884 in Scotland. He died on 14 Apr 1957 in Lauder, , Berwickshire, Scotland.

James Buchan “Jim” CRANSTON was born on 3 Jul 1887 in Scotland. He died on 18 May 1916 in Court Street, Haddington, East Lothian, Scotland.

Adam Lindsay CRANSTON was born on 12 Feb 1889 at Haddington, East Lothian, Scotland. He died on 13 Nov 1916 in Serre, France.

George McLean CRANSTON was born on 30 Sep 1892 at Haddington, East Lothian, Scotland. He died on 19 Jul 1963 in Australia

Robert “Bob” CRANSTON was born on 6 Aug 1899 in Scotland. He died on 5 Nov 1950 in Rozelle, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

And the band played the Flowers of the Forest.

Thanks for the memories.

Mrs m was singing in and playing for a choir in a church for armistice day. They sang some good old hymns that haven’t been heard for forty years or more.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/11/2018 12:00:01
ID: 1301989

Lest we forget.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/11/2018 12:21:43
ID: 1301990

Peak Warming Man said:

Lest we forget.

Yes.

Lest we forget.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/11/2018 12:24:10
ID: 1301991

11th of November 1918
Armistice Day, Hunter Street, Sydney

I wish I could be in Haddington to go to the service with the other rellies later today. Lest we forget.

Let us also remember peace. Even if it doesn’t last as long as we would like it to.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/11/2018 12:28:39
ID: 1301992

War! What is it good for.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/11/2018 12:38:20
ID: 1301995

Ian said:

Absolutely nuthin’

Reply Quote

Date: 11/11/2018 16:18:09
ID: 1302052

So that’s it.. all over for another 100 years or 165 days which ever comes first.

The 11/11/18 armistice ended fighting on land, sea and air in World War I between the Allies and their opponent, Germany; or more correctly marks the centenary of when the guns fell silent on the Western Front.

But what miliary action really ended WW1?

It took 3 days for word of the armistice to reach Zambia and fighting ened in the East African theatre.

In January 1919, Hermann Detzner became the last German to surrender. An officer in the colonial security force in then German New Guinea, he’d evaded Australian forces for four years.

Five days after Detzner’s surrender, the Siege of Medina in modern-day Saudi Arabia ended when renegade Ottoman general Fakhri Pasha – who ignored direct orders from the Sultan to lay down arms – was arrested by his own men and handed to British-backed Arab forces fully 72 days after the official end of the war.

German High Seas Fleet (53 ships) scuttled in Scapa Flow with nine deaths, the last casualties of the war. (Wikipedia)

January 10 1920 First meeting of the League of Nations held in London. Official end of World War I.

The North Russia Intervention (August 1918 to April 1919) seems to omitted from WW1 histories. Ostensibly sent to Russia to prevent a German advance and to help reopen the Eastern Front, American soldiers found themselves fighting Bolshevik revolutionaries for months after the Armistice ended fighting in France.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/11/2018 17:39:08
ID: 1302075

It’s also my grandfather’s birthday. He would be 95. (Died in 2016.)

Reply Quote

Date: 11/11/2018 17:43:03
ID: 1302076

Divine Angel said:

We are doing happies now. So happy birthday to him. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 11/11/2018 17:47:17
ID: 1302078

sarahs mum said:

Divine Angel said:

That’s why I didn’t post earlier. I did the minute’s silence (I was driving) and there was a tribute on the radio with the horrors of war recounted by a 100 yr old WWI veteran, which was recorded in 1998.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/11/2018 17:54:59
ID: 1302082

Divine Angel said:

sarahs mum said:

Divine Angel said:

That’s why I didn’t post earlier. I did the minute’s silence (I was driving) and there was a tribute on the radio with the horrors of war recounted by a 100 yr old WWI veteran, which was recorded in 1998.

I slept through it. I didn’t mean to but I was worked into the night last night.

But I spent all day yesterday grieving and so I did it already. Although the pics aren’t in yet for the Haddington Memorial in Scotland.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/11/2018 21:19:01
ID: 1302199

jihadis will go on a stabbing spree and then celebrate in their dept of housing accommodation with their multiple wives

labor has promised gold bars to be delivered to various communities to ensure electoral support

liberal is a bit behind by transferring refugees to the mainland , gold bars and weapons have been promised to various jihadi groups along with training by special forces in western sydney

Reply Quote

Date: 12/11/2018 03:11:31
ID: 1302272

roughbarked said:

Ian said:

Absolutely nuthin’

Kneejerk reaction – totally agree.

After some deliberation – still totally agree.

It’s no good for population reduction (because resources are destroyed faster than population). It’s no good for the environment. It’s no good for killing off the warrior caste (because they’re not on the front line). It’s no good for quality of life. It’s no good for politics. It’s no good for employment. It’s no good for technological development (because even military technology advances faster in peacetime).

Reply Quote