Date: 13/11/2018 07:05:53
ID: 1302683
Subject: Nov 15, last chance to opt out.

Anyne still undecided?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 08:06:06
ID: 1302695
Subject: re: Nov 15, last chance to opt out.

roughbarked said:

Anyne still undecided?

Opt out of what?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 08:11:52
ID: 1302697

mollwollfumble said:

roughbarked said:

Anyne still undecided?

Opt out of what?

MyHealth.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 08:34:51
ID: 1302702

roughbarked said:

Anyne still undecided?

Yes. As much as I don’t trust the government to run a secure system (or restrict access to only organisations that need it), having everything in one place makes a lot more sense than faxing paper records around, especially in an emergency.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 08:38:48
ID: 1302704

cb88 said:

roughbarked said:

Anyne still undecided?

Yes. As much as I don’t trust the government to run a secure system (or restrict access to only organisations that need it), having everything in one place makes a lot more sense than faxing paper records around, especially in an emergency.

In an emergency, e.g. car crash, heart attack etc. you’re treated for whatevs going to kill you first, then, after stable they worry about the other issues you have.

IMO the health record will be more useful post acute care – i.e. for chronic care.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 08:42:34
ID: 1302705

cb88 said:

roughbarked said:

Anyne still undecided?

Yes it would be good for all as long as we were assured of its security.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 08:43:32
ID: 1302706

poikilotherm said:

cb88 said:

roughbarked said:

Anyne still undecided?

In an emergency, e.g. car crash, heart attack etc. you’re treated for whatevs going to kill you first, then, after stable they worry about the other issues you have.

IMO the health record will be more useful post acute care – i.e. for chronic care.

Yes. If you are a chronic case, you do need each practitioner to know the score.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 08:51:06
ID: 1302710

cb88 said:

roughbarked said:

Anyne still undecided?

re security – MyGov is yet to be hacked.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 08:54:33
ID: 1302711

poikilotherm said:

cb88 said:

roughbarked said:

Anyne still undecided?

Hacking is another thing. At the moment My Health isn’t tight enough.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 09:01:04
ID: 1302712

roughbarked said:

mollwollfumble said:

roughbarked said:

Anyne still undecided?

Opt out of what?

MyHealth.

Oh. I want to be on it. I don’t have a GP, just go to whoever happens to be nearest that day. It’d be so nice to have a central register.

I hope they cut out the security bullshit, all security does is lock out the people who have legitimate access. But they won’t, sigh. MyGov has already locked out both Mrs m and Missy, making it impossible for them to fill out their tax forms. Missy has even been forced to go back to snail mail to do her tax this year.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 09:08:09
ID: 1302713

poikilotherm said:

Ah, fair enough.

poikilotherm said:

Keeping the central system secure isn’t my biggest concern – that’s a tractable problem. It’s all the other computers that have access. Can one compromised computer at a GP pull everyone’s records? I’d like to think it has rate limits and anomaly detection and so on.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 09:09:20
ID: 1302714

mollwollfumble said:

I hope they cut out the security bullshit, all security does is lock out the people who have legitimate access. But they won’t, sigh. MyGov has already locked out both Mrs m and Missy, making it impossible for them to fill out their tax forms. Missy has even been forced to go back to snail mail to do her tax this year.

How does your ideal online authentication system work?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 09:10:09
ID: 1302715

mollwollfumble said:

roughbarked said:

mollwollfumble said:

Opt out of what?

MyHealth.

Oh. I want to be on it. I don’t have a GP, just go to whoever happens to be nearest that day. It’d be so nice to have a central register.

I don’t know what people are doing wrong with MyGov. But many report bad experiences.

I reckon it works brilliantly. I did my tax in less than 15 minutes, including log in, one field incorrectly filled (by me) that needed correction, and logging out again. And they had my tax assessment back to me in a week or so.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 09:17:32
ID: 1302718

mollwollfumble said:

roughbarked said:

mollwollfumble said:

Opt out of what?

MyHealth.

By locked out.. How?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 09:18:13
ID: 1302719

Michael V said:

mollwollfumble said:

roughbarked said:

MyHealth.

I don’t know what people are doing wrong with MyGov. But many report bad experiences.

I reckon it works brilliantly. I did my tax in less than 15 minutes, including log in, one field incorrectly filled (by me) that needed correction, and logging out again. And they had my tax assessment back to me in a week or so.

Yes it does work brilliantly.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 09:31:52
ID: 1302723

roughbarked said:

mollwollfumble said:

roughbarked said:

MyHealth.

By locked out.. How?

Huh? Mobile phone problems of course. The security by default was linked into their mobile phones. Now Missy has two MyGov accounts and is locked out of both of them. Any problem with MyGov and the only way out is to create a new MyGov account. She has no idea why she is locked out of the second one, probably because she never received the correct password.

In short. All security is a bloody pain. Even my car alarm.

I have visions of a person lying on the emergency room operating table reciting from memory a 17 digit MyHealth password to the surgeon before they lose consciousness.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 10:02:56
ID: 1302726

mollwollfumble said:

roughbarked said:

mollwollfumble said:

By locked out.. How?

Huh? Mobile phone problems of course. The security by default was linked into their mobile phones. Now Missy has two MyGov accounts and is locked out of both of them. Any problem with MyGov and the only way out is to create a new MyGov account. She has no idea why she is locked out of the second one, probably because she never received the correct password.

In short. All security is a bloody pain. Even my car alarm.

I have visions of a person lying on the emergency room operating table reciting from memory a 17 digit MyHealth password to the surgeon before they lose consciousness.

I deliberately didn’t link security to my mobile phone. I don’t link anything to my mobile. It’s a phone. Only. Perhaps there is a lesson to be learnt somewhere there. (Apart from me being akin to a modern Luddite.)

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 10:30:36
ID: 1302734

cb88 said:

Keeping the central system secure isn’t my biggest concern – that’s a tractable problem. It’s all the other computers that have access. Can one compromised computer at a GP pull everyone’s records? I’d like to think it has rate limits and anomaly detection and so on.

Mr Mutant works with blockchain. The Aust govt was offered blockchain technology for their “secure” systems, they declined 🙄

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 08:25:43
ID: 1303112

This typical of everything the government does. Could you tell us why you decided to opt out of the My Health Record system?
Please choose all that apply: I am concerned about others having access to my private health information I am concerned about the security of my health information stored online I have no reason or would like to state another reason

Well If I chose all that apply I would first of all negate my first two answers because though very relevant and important, they aren’t all of the reason and to go any further I’d have to make a lie of the first two choices.

The proper way to do this is build an escellent system. show us how well crafted it is and how our data is accessible only by those directly concerned with saving my/our life/lives and no other parties. Then and only then ask me if I want to join.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 08:32:03
ID: 1303116

roughbarked said:

This typical of everything the government does. Could you tell us why you decided to opt out of the My Health Record system?
Please choose all that apply: I am concerned about others having access to my private health information I am concerned about the security of my health information stored online I have no reason or would like to state another reason

Well If I chose all that apply I would first of all negate my first two answers because though very relevant and important, they aren’t all of the reason and to go any further I’d have to make a lie of the first two choices.

The proper way to do this is build an escellent system. show us how well crafted it is and how our data is accessible only by those directly concerned with saving my/our life/lives and no other parties. Then and only then ask me if I want to join.

excellent.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 08:34:21
ID: 1303118

I would have liked a letter explaining what happens if you opt in and what happens if you opt out.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 08:38:32
ID: 1303120

Tau.Neutrino said:

I would have liked a letter explaining what happens if you opt in and what happens if you opt out.

You can always opt back in later.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 08:44:05
ID: 1303121

roughbarked said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

You can always opt back in later.

ok.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 08:56:23
ID: 1303123

Can people by bullied or forced to opt in?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 09:00:50
ID: 1303124

Tau.Neutrino said:

If people are forced to opt in, who do they go to to seek help?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 09:00:59
ID: 1303125

Tau.Neutrino said:

unless you opt out, you are forced to opt in.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 09:02:29
ID: 1303127

Tau.Neutrino said:

Mate put the bong down.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 09:09:24
ID: 1303129

Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Mate put the bong down.

For Tau: https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-11-14/my-health-record-opt-out-deadline-amendments-privacy-security/10481806

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 09:10:25
ID: 1303130

roughbarked said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

until the 15th

but after the 15th of nov can any other government department or insurance agency or other 34d party force you to opt in ?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 09:11:06
ID: 1303131

Tau.Neutrino said:

Not until Beijing finally takes over from Canberra.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 09:11:39
ID: 1303132

Tau.Neutrino said:

roughbarked said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

until the 15th

but after the 15th of nov can any other government department or insurance agency or other 34d party force you to opt in ?

If you don’t opt out, you are already force opted in.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 09:12:06
ID: 1303133

captain_spalding said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Which probably isn’t a fantasy.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 09:12:34
ID: 1303134

roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Mate put the bong down.

For Tau: https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-11-14/my-health-record-opt-out-deadline-amendments-privacy-security/10481806

Thanks

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 09:24:30
ID: 1303137

roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Hard to imagine a government that’s more terrified of its own people.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 09:26:12
ID: 1303138

captain_spalding said:

roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

Hard to imagine a government that’s more terrified of its own people.

I’m terrified of some politicians.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 09:32:50
ID: 1303140

Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Mate put the bong down.

Looks around.

Why isnt the webpage secure with a green lock? It has a yellow triangle saying parts of the webpage are un secure?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 09:37:02
ID: 1303141

Tau.Neutrino said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Mate put the bong down.

Looks around.

Why isnt the webpage secure with a green lock? It has a yellow triangle saying parts of the webpage are un secure?

It means something on the page was loaded without HTTPS. Nothing in the forum itself does that. It was most likely an image in a post that was embedded from somewhere else.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 09:38:09
ID: 1303142

cb88 said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Mate put the bong down.

Looks around.

It means something on the page was loaded without HTTPS. Nothing in the forum itself does that. It was most likely an image in a post that was embedded from somewhere else.

ok, thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 10:05:14
ID: 1303148

> Why isn’t the webpage secure with a green lock? It has a yellow triangle saying parts of the webpage are unsecure?

What makes you think that https is any more secure than http?

If I was a hacker, I’d be hacking https pages, not htttp pages. Being encrypted just means that someone has the key. Make a copy of the key and all the security is gone.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 10:09:43
ID: 1303150

mollwollfumble said:

> Why isn’t the webpage secure with a green lock? It has a yellow triangle saying parts of the webpage are unsecure?

If I was a hacker, I’d be hacking https pages, not htttp pages. Being encrypted just means that someone has the key. Make a copy of the key and all the security is gone.

It was a joke attempt at being paranoid on the bong, which was bought about by feeling paranoid about being forced into opting in myhealth after the 15th by a 3rd party.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 10:11:44
ID: 1303151

mollwollfumble said:

A guarantee that you’re communicating with someone holding the key is a much better than no guarantee at all.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/11/2018 14:52:51
ID: 1303213

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-14/my-health-record-opt-out-period-extended-as-website-hits-issues/10496032

Reply Quote

Date: 15/11/2018 08:30:49
ID: 1303487

cb88 said:

mollwollfumble said:

A guarantee that you’re communicating with someone holding the key is a much better than no guarantee at all.

I totally disagree.

If someone sends me plain text then I can look at it, remove the bloatware, fix the bugs and immediately detect any malware.

If someone sends me a long random string of encrypted digits then it could contain every sort of malware and there’s no way for me to check it and fix it.

Plain text is far safer.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/11/2018 08:31:45
ID: 1303488

mollwollfumble said:

cb88 said:

mollwollfumble said:

I totally disagree.

If someone sends me plain text then I can look at it,

And so can everyone else.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/11/2018 08:46:32
ID: 1303490

poikilotherm said:

mollwollfumble said:

cb88 said:

I totally disagree.

If someone sends me plain text then I can look at it,

And so can everyone else.

If making a copy of the key is so easy why are some in the government calling for police to have new powers over encryption to catch criminals and terrorists?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/11/2018 08:56:47
ID: 1303494

mollwollfumble said:

cb88 said:

mollwollfumble said:

I totally disagree.

If someone sends me plain text then I can look at it, remove the bloatware, fix the bugs and immediately detect any malware.

If someone sends me a long random string of encrypted digits then it could contain every sort of malware and there’s no way for me to check it and fix it.

Plain text is far safer.

Are we still talking about HTTPS here? Your computer is able to decrypt the responses, so you can still look at it.

Without encryption, the data you’re receiving could have been modified by anyone during transit and you’d have no way to know. In the past there have been ISPs caught rewriting pages to insert their own ads – that’s impractical now that 80%+ of web traffic is encrypted.

Reply Quote