Date: 13/11/2018 07:40:01
ID: 1302688
Subject: TOP 500 Computer List

TOP 500 Computer List

The 52nd edition of the TOP500 list saw five US Department of Energy (DOE) supercomputers in the top 10 positions, with the first two captured by Summit at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and Sierra at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL).

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 08:51:04
ID: 1302709
Subject: re: TOP 500 Computer List

Tau.Neutrino said:

TOP 500 Computer List

The 52nd edition of the TOP500 list saw five US Department of Energy (DOE) supercomputers in the top 10 positions, with the first two captured by Summit at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and Sierra at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL).

more…

I still think at least some Google computers are in the top 5. They have to be in order to handle the workload. But the actual size is secret.

China has slipped down to numbers 3 and 4. For a while there they held the top two.

Nice to see Cray still around with numbers 5 and 6. I have very fond memories of using the Cray-1 back in the late 1980s.

Switzerland manages number 5. Didn’t expect that. It also has a small number of cores and small power requirement for its speed.

Japan 7
Germany 8
Korea 13
Italy 15
France 16
Taiwan 20 – now that surprises me.
Spain 25
Saudi Arabia 33

Australia 130 – Raijin at the National Computational Infrastructure National Facility in Canberra.
https://www.top500.org/site/47369

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 09:16:30
ID: 1302717

mollwollfumble said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

TOP 500 Computer List

more…

I still think at least some Google computers are in the top 5. They have to be in order to handle the workload. But the actual size is secret.

China has slipped down to numbers 3 and 4. For a while there they held the top two.

Nice to see Cray still around with numbers 5 and 6. I have very fond memories of using the Cray-1 back in the late 1980s.

Switzerland manages number 5. Didn’t expect that. It also has a small number of cores and small power requirement for its speed.

Japan 7
Germany 8
Korea 13
Italy 15
France 16
Spain 25
Saudi Arabia 33

Australia 130 – Raijin at the National Computational Infrastructure National Facility in Canberra.

They don’t stay on the list long. I had a bit to do with the installation of an IBM Deep Blue machine at Melbourne uni about 10 years ago. I was in the data centre about 6 months ago and noticed it was no longer in the computer room. I asked what had happened – “threw it out” was the response. They’d actually asked around to see if anyone was interested in having it and found zero interest.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 09:29:31
ID: 1302722

sibeen said:

mollwollfumble said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

TOP 500 Computer List

more…

Japan 7
Germany 8
Korea 13
Italy 15
France 16
Spain 25
Saudi Arabia 33

They don’t stay on the list long. I had a bit to do with the installation of an IBM Deep Blue machine at Melbourne uni about 10 years ago. I was in the data centre about 6 months ago and noticed it was no longer in the computer room. I asked what had happened – “threw it out” was the response. They’d actually asked around to see if anyone was interested in having it and found zero interest.

‘coz an iphone 5 would be more powerful than it these days iirc.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/11/2018 14:15:52
ID: 1302795

sibeen said:

mollwollfumble said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

TOP 500 Computer List

more…

Japan 7
Germany 8
Korea 13
Italy 15
France 16
Spain 25
Saudi Arabia 33

Yuk. At least the Cray-1 made a snazzy space heater when decommissioned.

Deep Blue. Where do I know that from, it was famous.

Ah yes. “ It is known for being the first computer chess-playing system to win both a chess game and a chess match against a reigning world champion under regular time controls.” A pretty little machine. There ought to be a museum of technology for beauties like this.

Reply Quote