Date: 16/01/2019 14:28:35
ID: 1330959
Subject: One for Scribbly

Just curious if anyone knows what this might be. I was going through one of my uni lectures on my laptop, and while writing notes I saw something small crawling across the page I was writing on. It was about 1/2mm long, so I got out my new USB digital microscope (thanks, Santa!) and snapped a few images on my tablet.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/01/2019 14:30:28
ID: 1330962
Subject: re: One for Scribbly

JTQ said:

Just curious if anyone knows what this might be. I was going through one of my uni lectures on my laptop, and while writing notes I saw something small crawling across the page I was writing on. It was about 1/2mm long, so I got out my new USB digital microscope (thanks, Santa!) and snapped a few images on my tablet.

It’s a very hungry caterpillar and friends?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/01/2019 14:34:45
ID: 1330968

roughbarked said:

lol .. I didn’t realise it looked like there’s more than one. The dark ones is just ink on the paper. I’ve got a nice black pen I’m using. Really just curious about the little light-coloured crawler.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/01/2019 14:40:36
ID: 1330971

JTQ said:

roughbarked said:

lol .. I didn’t realise it looked like there’s more than one. The dark ones is just ink on the paper. I’ve got a nice black pen I’m using. Really just curious about the little light-coloured crawler.

It is probably just a lost pantry moth.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/01/2019 14:41:32
ID: 1330973

JTQ said:

Some species of booklouse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psocoptera

Reply Quote

Date: 16/01/2019 14:43:05
ID: 1330976

Bubblecar said:

JTQ said:

A definite posssibility. At this time of year there are a lot of almost invisible caterpillars about.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/01/2019 14:53:14
ID: 1330987

That looks pretty much exactly like it. Cheers :)

It says on the wiki page that they’re generally sized 1-10mm, but this was much smaller than 1mm, probably 1/2mm. How unusual for wikipedia to be wrong…….

/tic

Reply Quote

Date: 16/01/2019 15:05:16
ID: 1330994

JTQ said:

That looks pretty much exactly like it. Cheers :)

It says on the wiki page that they’re generally sized 1-10mm, but this was much smaller than 1mm, probably 1/2mm. How unusual for wikipedia to be wrong…….

/tic

The thickening of the antennae at the end, suggest a beetle or bug to me. Very unlikely to be an adult, but something in its first moult (1st star).

Reply Quote

Date: 16/01/2019 22:20:07
ID: 1331242

Bubblecar said:

JTQ said:

That’s way better than my guess.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/01/2019 22:21:37
ID: 1331245

JTQ said:

I can’t help you with the query but I have a microscope with a camera attached… I really should do a project with it.. I was thinking of hair analysis between species

Reply Quote

Date: 16/01/2019 22:24:27
ID: 1331248

mollwollfumble said:

Bubblecar said:

JTQ said:

The small size and transparency suggests baby.

If not a booklouse then perhaps a baby aphid?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/01/2019 22:26:10
ID: 1331250

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

Bubblecar said:

There’s all sorts of things in a house, carpet beetles etc.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/01/2019 22:36:03
ID: 1331261

Arts said:

JTQ said:

I can’t help you with the query but I have a microscope with a camera attached… I really should do a project with it.. I was thinking of hair analysis between species

The very famous early studies with a microscope had a look at pond water to see what was swimming in it. Quite possibly different for different places around Australia. I intended to look for tiny littoral creatures such as comb jellies, but didn’t succeed. Ditto with tardigrade.

I’ve only ever used a proper microscope with camera for indentifying single-celled algae, we were growing algae at CSIRO. I also looked at the green algae in my bird bath. I used it to calculate the number of chloroplasts.

For cheap 8 times magnifier that attaches to USB cable, I looked at some small insects. A thrips, some whitefly, vinegar flies, small wasp and beetles. Identification was not all that much better than I could get with the video camera on macro setting. Higher resolution but lighting was tougher.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/01/2019 22:37:57
ID: 1331262

roughbarked said:

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

Carpet beetles are bigger than that, the ones we have here anyway. More like 2 to 3 mm long, and dark coloured mostly.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/01/2019 22:41:55
ID: 1331265

mollwollfumble said:

Arts said:

JTQ said:

The very famous early studies with a microscope had a look at pond water to see what was swimming in it. Quite possibly different for different places around Australia. I intended to look for tiny littoral creatures such as comb jellies, but didn’t succeed. Ditto with tardigrade.

I’ve only ever used a proper microscope with camera for indentifying single-celled algae, we were growing algae at CSIRO. I also looked at the green algae in my bird bath. I used it to calculate the number of chloroplasts.

For cheap 8 times magnifier that attaches to USB cable, I looked at some small insects. A thrips, some whitefly, vinegar flies, small wasp and beetles. Identification was not all that much better than I could get with the video camera on macro setting. Higher resolution but lighting was tougher.

yeah I have done things like fly wings and a small snakes tooth… but a project is what is needed.. a real project

Reply Quote

Date: 16/01/2019 22:45:48
ID: 1331268

mollwollfumble said:

roughbarked said:

mollwollfumble said:

Carpet beetles are bigger than that, the ones we have here anyway. More like 2 to 3 mm long, and dark coloured mostly.

but the larvae? Well yes, they are bigger and different. https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef601

Reply Quote