Date: 17/01/2019 11:58:33
ID: 1331505
Subject: 3-D colour X-ray

https://newatlas.com/3d-color-xrays-cern/55403/

I heartily approve of this. I wish I’d thought of it.

Medical X-ray scans have long been stuck in the black-and-white, silent-movie era. The contrast helps doctors spot breaks and fractures in bones, but more detail could help pinpoint other problems. Now, a company from New Zealand has developed a bioimaging scanner that can produce full color, three dimensional images of bones, lipids, and soft tissue, thanks to a sensor chip developed at CERN for use in the Large Hadron Collider. A 3D color image is generated that clearly shows muscle, bone, water, fat, disease markers – and even a watch. The end results are unnerving, like someone’s sculpted a detailed clay model of your insides.

At the heart of the Spectral CT scanner is a Medipix3 chip. This device, which detects and counts every individual particle that hits each pixel on the sensor, was originally developed at CERN to precisely track particles in the Large Hadron Collider. Measure the attenuation of specific wavelengths of the X-rays as they pass through different materials.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/01/2019 12:01:10
ID: 1331508
Subject: re: 3-D colour X-ray

mollwollfumble said:

https://newatlas.com/3d-color-xrays-cern/55403/

I heartily approve of this. I wish I’d thought of it.

Medical X-ray scans have long been stuck in the black-and-white, silent-movie era. The contrast helps doctors spot breaks and fractures in bones, but more detail could help pinpoint other problems. Now, a company from New Zealand has developed a bioimaging scanner that can produce full color, three dimensional images of bones, lipids, and soft tissue, thanks to a sensor chip developed at CERN for use in the Large Hadron Collider. A 3D color image is generated that clearly shows muscle, bone, water, fat, disease markers – and even a watch. The end results are unnerving, like someone’s sculpted a detailed clay model of your insides.

At the heart of the Spectral CT scanner is a Medipix3 chip. This device, which detects and counts every individual particle that hits each pixel on the sensor, was originally developed at CERN to precisely track particles in the Large Hadron Collider. Measure the attenuation of specific wavelengths of the X-rays as they pass through different materials.

That’s a good idea, I wonder if they assign colours to various structures.
Though about that when I see the X-ray machines at work and they do

Reply Quote

Date: 17/01/2019 18:17:22
ID: 1331747

Note that this is a bit different to X-ray tomography in the Australia Synchrotron.

At least, I hope so.

We’ve had coloured scanning electron microscope images for ages.

It’d be worth seeing what frequency spectrum X-rays they use. A standard heated filament source should give off a spectrum in the right frequency range.

Soft X-rays are removed, filtered out, because they can’t penetrate tissue but still do damage.

The X-ray band for medical CT is actually surprisingly high energy.

The following is an earlier press release from the 3-D colour X-ray New Zealand group. 14 July 2018.

Oh wait, dang it, the above is an “artist’s impression”, not a medical image. Pity.

https://thenewsrecorder.in/first-color-x-ray-inspection-on-the-human-body/

Reply Quote

Date: 17/01/2019 18:22:16
ID: 1331749

mollwollfumble said:

Note that this is a bit different to X-ray tomography in the Australia Synchrotron.

At least, I hope so.

We’ve had coloured scanning electron microscope images for ages.

It’d be worth seeing what frequency spectrum X-rays they use. A standard heated filament source should give off a spectrum in the right frequency range.

Soft X-rays are removed, filtered out, because they can’t penetrate tissue but still do damage.

The X-ray band for medical CT is actually surprisingly high energy.

The following is an earlier press release from the 3-D colour X-ray New Zealand group. 14 July 2018.

Oh wait, dang it, the above is an “artist’s impression”, not a medical image. Pity.

https://thenewsrecorder.in/first-color-x-ray-inspection-on-the-human-body/

It’s a women and has nipples won’t somebody think of the children

Reply Quote