Date: 20/02/2019 12:34:15
ID: 1348981
Subject: Tropical Cyclone Oma

Severe Tropical Cyclone Oma could possibly cross the southern Queensland coast, after changing direction overnight, the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) says.

The category three system is currently off New Caledonia, about 1,120 kilometres north-east of Brisbane.

BOM said it was no longer expected to turn south-east towards New Zealand over the weekend.

Forecaster Sam Campbell said instead the system was moving south-west.

He said a cyclone watch may be issued this afternoon ahead of gale force winds developing tomorrow.

“It’s now looking increasingly likely that it will continue on a westerly track towards the southern Queensland coast,” he said.

“Most likely it will weaken just a touch, it won’t be a category three by the time it gets to the coast, but just to emphasize that point we could actually see that cyclone coming into southern Queensland and possibly even a coastal crossing over the weekend.”

He said it was still unclear exactly where on the coast the system could reach.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/tropical-cyclone-oma-could-cross-the-southern-queensland-coast-bom-says/529299

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 12:38:56
ID: 1348982
Subject: re: Tropical Cyclone Oma

Ian said:

Severe Tropical Cyclone Oma could possibly cross the southern Queensland coast, after changing direction overnight, the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) says.

The category three system is currently off New Caledonia, about 1,120 kilometres north-east of Brisbane.

BOM said it was no longer expected to turn south-east towards New Zealand over the weekend.

He said a cyclone watch may be issued this afternoon ahead of gale force winds developing tomorrow.

“It’s now looking increasingly likely that it will continue on a westerly track towards the southern Queensland coast,” he said.

“Most likely it will weaken just a touch, it won’t be a category three by the time it gets to the coast, but just to emphasize that point we could actually see that cyclone coming into southern Queensland and possibly even a coastal crossing over the weekend.”

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/tropical-cyclone-oma-could-cross-the-southern-queensland-coast-bom-says/529299

Selfishly thinks. Oh goody, it’s going well south of me.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 12:44:31
ID: 1348983

Tamb said:

Ian said:

don’t feel guilt over your own self-preservation :)

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 12:47:45
ID: 1348984

Things are dying here for lack of water. I won’t say no to 150mm/day over the weekend.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 12:48:49
ID: 1348985

Ian said:

Things are dying here for lack of water. I won’t say no to 150mm/day over the weekend.

We’ve had 190+ mm so far this month.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 12:50:59
ID: 1348986

The grandmother of all storms

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 12:52:13
ID: 1348988

Ian said:

Could be another false dawn, Ian.
I really hope not.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 12:57:45
ID: 1348991

Peak Warming Man said:

Ian said:

I really hope not.

Yeah well, it’s a cyclone. But even the BOM is now saying that the option for it to veer to NZ is looking very unlikely and talking about about that sort of rainfall.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 12:59:31
ID: 1348992

Current BoM Track Map:

Current Fiji Meteorologic Service Track Map:

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 12:59:44
ID: 1348993

Ian said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Ian said:

I really hope not.

Yeah well, it’s a cyclone. But even the BOM is now saying that the option for it to veer to NZ is looking very unlikely and talking about about that sort of rainfall.

400mm possible falls on the Sunny coast.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 13:02:52
ID: 1348994

Tamb said:

Ian said:

Hamilton has had 15mm. Had 1.4mm in January. But we get our rain in the Autumn and Spring breaks. Usually.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 13:03:23
ID: 1348995

Current BoM Interactive Weather and Wave Forecast Map:

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 13:06:49
ID: 1348998

buffy said:

Tamb said:

Ian said:

Hamilton has had 15mm. Had 1.4mm in January. But we get our rain in the Autumn and Spring breaks. Usually.

February is normally our wettest month & September our driest.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 13:07:11
ID: 1348999

__

Of course, if that amount of rainfall happens it will be a case of out drought and straight into flood…. again

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 13:07:51
ID: 1349000

Michael V said:

And the Queensland regional version:

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 13:10:31
ID: 1349001

Ian said:

__

Of course, if that amount of rainfall happens it will be a case of out drought and straight into flood…. again

Dorothea Mackellar would be so proud.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 13:13:18
ID: 1349002

Ian said:

__

It’s almost a normal thing now.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 13:14:49
ID: 1349003

Michael V said:

Michael V said:

You’re all over this thing Michael :)

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 13:24:31
ID: 1349007

Ian said:

Michael V said:

Michael V said:

You’re all over this thing Michael :)

Yeah, I’ve been following the low and the resulting cyclone since before the flooding rains started up north. I had an inkling that it may have formed a cyclone in the gulf. Instead, it made rain and lots of it. Now it’s a category 3 storm and been sucking much water in from the ocean, I’m watching it carefully. Basically to see whether I need to clean up my outside junk piles. And bring in chairs and tables etc. Tomorrow afternoon or Friday we’ll have a better idea, I reckon.

Perhaps a book on where it makes landfall (or not) should be run…

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 13:26:01
ID: 1349010

sibeen said:

Ian said:

__

Dorothea Mackellar would be so proud.

Oh dear, great minds and all that. Nothing is new, is it.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 13:29:28
ID: 1349013

Still heading for New Zealand.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 13:36:23
ID: 1349019

mollwollfumble said:

Nearly 24 hours out of date, unfortunately. Cyclones move in all sorts of unpredictable ways. We’ll see what the next one brings.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 14:05:25
ID: 1349032

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/weatherpulse/player/Weatherpulse-Cyclone-Oma-uncertainty/6003708516001

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 15:04:34
ID: 1349053

Cymek said:

Golf clap.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 15:09:00
ID: 1349055

Divine Angel said:

Cymek said:

Golf clap.

You’ve heard of the Dutch Oven? Well this is the Dutch Cyclone.

God help us all…

:-)

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 15:10:59
ID: 1349058

Rule 303 said:

Divine Angel said:

Cymek said:

Golf clap.

God help us all…

Ja, my mum is Dutch. She’s known as Oma to Mini Me. I’ve already told her to tell her cyclone to back off a bit.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 15:13:10
ID: 1349060

MV had better watch out.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/tropical-cyclone-oma-now-category-3-changes-course-for-queensland-20190220-p50yxx.html

I have an emergency cyclone plan, just in case. I’ll head to my dad’s. I’m right near the bay but protected somewhat by Bribie and Moreton Islands. Wouldn’t expect any surge flooding but the winds would be a problem.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 15:18:07
ID: 1349063

Michael V said:

mollwollfumble said:

Nearly 24 hours out of date, unfortunately. Cyclones move in all sorts of unpredictable ways. We’ll see what the next one brings.

Here’s the next 4-day forecast (issued around 2pm on 20/2/19): Quite a difference, I’m sure you’ll agree.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 15:20:48
ID: 1349065

Apparently my ex lives on the GC now. It’s totally ok if Oma flattens his house.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 15:21:33
ID: 1349066

Divine Angel said:

Rule 303 said:

Divine Angel said:

Golf clap.

God help us all…

Ja, my mum is Dutch. She’s known as Oma to Mini Me. I’ve already told her to tell her cyclone to back off a bit.

Bit unfair on Oma to be blamed for something like this.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 15:23:18
ID: 1349069

20-02-2019

Good morning everyone, Overnight Cyclone Oma has remained a category 3 system and overnight we have models in agreement now where there is a 80% chance of a coastal crossing however where Oma crosses will majorly depend on the effects you’ll feel.

As of this morning, we’re seeing model runs as well as the BOM’s official track map, We can see good evidence that there is a high chance of a coastal crossing around Hervey Bay. However we have multiple models playing around with the location of the crossing from as far north as Rockhampton and as far south as Coffs Harbor.

So today we are sitting at about an 80% yes for an imminent event, event type Cyclone. Cyclone Debbie weakened before she hit Brisbane and surrounds a few years ago but the flooding that she caused was devastating.

A lot of people are getting worried about Oma as she is the same system that cause major flooding in Townsville a few weeks ago but also is being compared to both Debbie and the 1954 floods. All I will say for now is prepare yourself for an event. Prepare your home and have a backup plan if the weather turns dangerous or life threatening. Be informed of any updates if you are in the proposed cyclone path and should the SES supply you with evacuation orders do follow procedure. It is quite possible at the moment for this to be the first cyclone in a very long time to hit SE QLD areas and IF this were to occur we could be looking at a historical event and the impact would be extreme in such a populated area.

As you can see we could be getting a lot of rain in a few days and the imminent part of this event is huge waves as well as abnormally high tides which will be exceeding the maximum yearly king tide level.
We will continue to keep you posted on Oma, NCSC is at about a 80% lock it in but we will wait until tonight or first thing tomorrow morning to make it an official happening.

Now finally in image 4 we have our very own “Most Favoured” scenario based on all of the models and the consistency as of late. You can see that for NE NSW and SE QLD areas including the Sunshine Coast and further north that we have falls in excess of 300mm likely for major areas. This map is based purely on my own thoughts based on latest data and recent trends. The next two images are latest model predictions.. much higher.

Images 5 & 6 are off the ECMWF models predictions for rainfall. Another reason i had made my own map was because as we can see with these two images attached showing NE NSW and SE QLD rainfall totals forecast by the time Oma comes onshore. We can see totals exceeding 500 – 800mm in the GREY shaded zones where some places go as high as 1100mm…

Now this is where I want to say not to stress because EC does like to overestimate rainfalls for events like this and as we get closer to the event those totals should start to go down a little. However it’s never that simple.. Very possibly we might actually see rainfall totals like this however the probability is much lower around 20 – 30% but the totals forecast in my Map are much more likely and…balanced. None the less we do need to keep an eye out as this forecast rainfall has been persistent for 3 days now and climbing.

North Coast Storm Chasers

(An amateur bloke but is usually way out in front of all the others for rain/storm events/TC Debbie)

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 15:27:54
ID: 1349072

Divine Angel said:

MV had better watch out.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/tropical-cyclone-oma-now-category-3-changes-course-for-queensland-20190220-p50yxx.html

I have an emergency cyclone plan, just in case. I’ll head to my dad’s. I’m right near the bay but protected somewhat by Bribie and Moreton Islands. Wouldn’t expect any surge flooding but the winds would be a problem.

Our emergency plan is simple.

*Tidy yard the day before.

*Expect the power to be off for a few days and therefore the water, too.

*We have headlamp torches and small LED stick-on lights.

*We have a truckload of batteries to power them.

*We’ll buy some 20 L bottles of water to tide us over.

*Feast on everything in the fridge and freezer.

*If the house gets blown away, we’ll make our way the the community centre.

*If it’s a bushfire that’s threatening, drive to the ocean and get in the water.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 15:29:17
ID: 1349075

Mr Mutant’s father lives in Hervey Bay. If the cyclone hits there, he’s in direct fire.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 15:36:55
ID: 1349083

Divine Angel said:

Mr Mutant’s father lives in Hervey Bay. If the cyclone hits there, he’s in direct fire.

Could be a fun weekend.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 15:45:38
ID: 1349093

Apparently Rainbow Beach is now on the NSW/Qld border.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/potentially-destructive-cyclone-oma-could-hit-south-queensland-coast-this-weekend/news-story/0b440b1047702da78fa1d113041fab1a

Scroll down to the last photo.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 15:56:58
ID: 1349101

Divine Angel said:

Apparently Rainbow Beach is now on the NSW/Qld border.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/potentially-destructive-cyclone-oma-could-hit-south-queensland-coast-this-weekend/news-story/0b440b1047702da78fa1d113041fab1a

Scroll down to the last photo.

Ha!

I heard they extracted the ute yesterday on low tide.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 16:37:28
ID: 1349109

Ian said:

20-02-2019

Good morning everyone, Overnight Cyclone Oma has remained a category 3 system and overnight we have models in agreement now where there is a 80% chance of a coastal crossing however where Oma crosses will majorly depend on the effects you’ll feel.

As of this morning, we’re seeing model runs as well as the BOM’s official track map, We can see good evidence that there is a high chance of a coastal crossing around Hervey Bay. However we have multiple models playing around with the location of the crossing from as far north as Rockhampton and as far south as Coffs Harbor.

So today we are sitting at about an 80% yes for an imminent event, event type Cyclone. Cyclone Debbie weakened before she hit Brisbane and surrounds a few years ago but the flooding that she caused was devastating.

A lot of people are getting worried about Oma as she is the same system that cause major flooding in Townsville a few weeks ago but also is being compared to both Debbie and the 1954 floods. All I will say for now is prepare yourself for an event. Prepare your home and have a backup plan if the weather turns dangerous or life threatening. Be informed of any updates if you are in the proposed cyclone path and should the SES supply you with evacuation orders do follow procedure. It is quite possible at the moment for this to be the first cyclone in a very long time to hit SE QLD areas and IF this were to occur we could be looking at a historical event and the impact would be extreme in such a populated area.

As you can see we could be getting a lot of rain in a few days and the imminent part of this event is huge waves as well as abnormally high tides which will be exceeding the maximum yearly king tide level.
We will continue to keep you posted on Oma, NCSC is at about a 80% lock it in but we will wait until tonight or first thing tomorrow morning to make it an official happening.

Now finally in image 4 we have our very own “Most Favoured” scenario based on all of the models and the consistency as of late. You can see that for NE NSW and SE QLD areas including the Sunshine Coast and further north that we have falls in excess of 300mm likely for major areas. This map is based purely on my own thoughts based on latest data and recent trends. The next two images are latest model predictions.. much higher.

Images 5 & 6 are off the ECMWF models predictions for rainfall. Another reason i had made my own map was because as we can see with these two images attached showing NE NSW and SE QLD rainfall totals forecast by the time Oma comes onshore. We can see totals exceeding 500 – 800mm in the GREY shaded zones where some places go as high as 1100mm…

Now this is where I want to say not to stress because EC does like to overestimate rainfalls for events like this and as we get closer to the event those totals should start to go down a little. However it’s never that simple.. Very possibly we might actually see rainfall totals like this however the probability is much lower around 20 – 30% but the totals forecast in my Map are much more likely and…balanced. None the less we do need to keep an eye out as this forecast rainfall has been persistent for 3 days now and climbing.

(An amateur bloke but is usually way out in front of all the others for rain/storm events/TC Debbie)

Groovy… _regrets taking that LSD.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 17:16:04
ID: 1349121

Witty Rejoinder said:

Ian said:

20-02-2019

Groovy… _regrets taking that LSD.

:)

I didn’t even post all the eyeball searing images I had.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 17:41:00
ID: 1349142

Not ever the slightest hint of rain from it on the BOM radar so far.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 17:42:47
ID: 1349144

mollwollfumble said:

Not ever the slightest hint of rain from it on the BOM radar so far.

It may not happen overnight ….

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 18:30:35
ID: 1349154

Latest Fiji Meteorological Service Threat Map:

Latest BoM Forecast Track Map:

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 18:43:36
ID: 1349155

I’m alert but not alarmed.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 18:49:34
ID: 1349156

I’ll be impressed when you get 1000 mm rain in 24 hours.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 18:57:00
ID: 1349157

OCDC said:

How about 713 mm in 3 days (529 mm in 24 hours)?

August 23-25, 2007, Rainbow Beach.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 19:01:47
ID: 1349166

Michael V said:

OCDC said:

Nah. I’ve lived through more than that.

However I misremembered this event (it was smaller than I thought):

GC flood

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 19:12:17
ID: 1349173

OCDC said:

Michael V said:
OCDC said:

GC flood

When I was working in Jamaica, we had over 140 inches (3.6 metres) of rain in 10 days. And there was three partly sunny days between the two hurricanes.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 19:15:50
ID: 1349182

Michael V said:

OCDC said:

Michael V said:

GC flood

When I was working in Jamaica, we had over 140 inches (3.6 metres) of rain in 10 days. And there was three partly sunny days between the two hurricanes.

You were working bin Jamaica?

With the bauxite people there?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 19:27:18
ID: 1349193

mollwollfumble said:

Michael V said:

OCDC said:

GC flood

You were working bin Jamaica?

With the bauxite people there?

No, a little gold mine.

IIRC, the bauxite mob was Kaiser. They were still going, but resource was running low.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:05:18
ID: 1349391

Just watched Higgins Storm Chasing’s video on Facebook. Of course, they don’t know for sure, however they’re predicting landfall at Fraser.

Hopefully by this time tomorrow, Oma will have made up her mind and decided what’s going on.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:07:29
ID: 1349396

Divine Angel said:

Just watched Higgins Storm Chasing’s video on Facebook. Of course, they don’t know for sure, however they’re predicting landfall at Fraser.

Hopefully by this time tomorrow, Oma will have made up her mind and decided what’s going on.

The big high in the southern country will be what dctates terms.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:09:40
ID: 1349399

roughbarked said:

Divine Angel said:

The big high in the southern country will be what dctates terms.

who could forget the i in dick?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:12:06
ID: 1349401

Divine Angel said:

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:14:19
ID: 1349402

Michael V said:

Divine Angel said:

https://tokyo3.org/forums/holiday/posts/1349399/

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:17:21
ID: 1349404

The latest model from both the BoM and Windy.com has the storm approaching Fraser Island then going northwards, up, but somewhat off the coast. Our cumulative rainfall prediction has been revised down from 571.8 mm to 61-odd mm. Shows how difficult these big storms are to predict…

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:17:37
ID: 1349405

Divine Angel said:

Oz Cyclone Chasers haven’t bothered my email with a comment and yes, I don’t pay them for constant updates but I do get serious warnings.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:18:05
ID: 1349407

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

Divine Angel said:

https://tokyo3.org/forums/holiday/posts/1349399/

I saw that. No comment.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:18:54
ID: 1349408

Michael V said:

The latest model from both the BoM and Windy.com has the storm approaching Fraser Island then going northwards, up, but somewhat off the coast. Our cumulative rainfall prediction has been revised down from 571.8 mm to 61-odd mm. Shows how difficult these big storms are to predict…

So you’ve unpacked your bags, and cancelled you tickets to head for the hills?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:19:16
ID: 1349410

Michael V said:

Think cyclones and anticyclones. You have a cyclone in the northeast and an anticyclone in the southwest.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:20:57
ID: 1349413

Michael V said:

Divine Angel said:

Having just look at likely tracking, I think our moolies may be revised down as well. Currently predictamed at:

WIll check again in the morning.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:21:17
ID: 1349414

Woodie said:

Michael V said:

Nah. We were going to stay and have a fun experience.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:22:20
ID: 1349418

Michael V said:

Woodie said:

Michael V said:

The high in the south is going to hold it there and overflow your rainwater storage.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:26:11
ID: 1349426

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

Woodie said:

The high in the south is going to hold it there and overflow your rainwater storage.

It can’t over flow that. I have none.

When there was >500 mm in one day (2007), according to the bloke over the road, the creek (8 metre deep gully) behind him didn’t flow at all. I wonder what it takes to make the gully fill with water?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:29:48
ID: 1349431

According to our esteem emeritus weather man, Steve(Primus) just 16 mins ago.

The models are now showing two variations. The first has Oma getting close to the coast then turning north to work its way back up the coast. The second has Oma crossing the coast possibly south of Brisbane. If the first scenario is correct, we’ll get good rain over the next four days. The coast will get a lot, we could get somewhere around 50mm, possibly more. If the second scenario happens, expect falls in excess of 200mm here and floods and disasters on the coast. Bugger the coast, let’s have 200mm!

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:30:22
ID: 1349433

Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

It can’t over flow that. I have none.

When there was >500 mm in one day (2007), according to the bloke over the road, the creek (8 metre deep gully) behind him didn’t flow at all. I wonder what it takes to make the gully fill with water?

I’m still thinking about what you said.. “I have none”.

Fer cry’s sake, there was a Jehova’s Witness who thought I should speak at their meetings when I said, every house should have a tank on every corner feeding into an underground storage.
He imagined I could shown them the way to the future, was my suspicion. I declined to speak, as you may imagine.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:32:04
ID: 1349434

Woodie said:

The models are now showing two variations. The first has Oma getting close to the coast then turning north to work its way back up the coast. The second has Oma crossing the coast possibly south of Brisbane. If the first scenario is correct, we’ll get good rain over the next four days. The coast will get a lot, we could get somewhere around 50mm, possibly more. If the second scenario happens, expect falls in excess of 200mm here and floods and disasters on the coast. Bugger the coast, let’s have 200mm!

Allow me some of that rain, too!

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:32:26
ID: 1349435

roughbarked said:

I declined to speak, as you may imagine.

Actually I find that quite hard to imagine.

;)

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:32:54
ID: 1349437

Michael V said:

Woodie said:

You would definitely fill your tanks, if you had them.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:33:01
ID: 1349438

Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

;)

ROFL

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:33:45
ID: 1349439

Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

;)

Well, I can only say that you have only begun to know me. ;)

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:36:52
ID: 1349442

roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

;)

What none of your stat searches will tell you, is the posts I don’t reply to. Unless you look, of course.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:39:31
ID: 1349445

roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

;)

What none of your stat searches will tell you, is the posts I don’t reply to. Unless you look, of course.

So Boris is the jokester and I am the poster yet sibeen is the losestar.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:46:03
ID: 1349455

Woodie said:

Bugger. I’d rather hoped it would make landfall here. Bring some excitement to my otherwise brain-foggy, psoriatic-arthritic life. And give Mrs V a bit of excitement, too. She’s only experienced Debbie. And by the time it got here, it was only half a cyclone. The northern half had disappeared…

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:48:20
ID: 1349458

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

Woodie said:

You would definitely fill your tanks, if you had them.

Council wouldn’t allow them with the new building works. Cover too much of the block, you see. Now theyve inspected, I may get one, but I’m too arthritic to get stuff out of the way…

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:55:22
ID: 1349469

MetEye has a prediction for slightly northerer of Fraser.

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:59:28
ID: 1349474

Divine Angel said:

You really should pay attention to how the high down south works.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-226.24,-30.69,526

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 22:59:58
ID: 1349475

Divine Angel said:

Tomorrow arvo, or Friday morning we’ll know better. So many models. They will converge closer to the event.

I was interested in your comment about all the water missing from the shelves. Perhaps we’ll buy some 20 L buckets from the baker or 20 L drums from the fish shop and fill them with town water…

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 23:01:10
ID: 1349479

Michael V said:

Divine Angel said:

Tomorrow arvo, or Friday morning we’ll know better. So many models. They will converge closer to the event.

I was interested in your comment about all the water missing from the shelves. Perhaps we’ll buy some 20 L buckets from the baker or 20 L drums from the fish shop and fill them with town water…

You and many others.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 23:03:49
ID: 1349482

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

Divine Angel said:

You and many others.

Maybe. If so, we’ll fill the bath with water, after cleaning it. And boil that water when we go to consume it. No biggie.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2019 23:04:17
ID: 1349484

Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

You and many others.

Maybe. If so, we’ll fill the bath with water, after cleaning it. And boil that water when we go to consume it. No biggie.

yep.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 07:43:40
ID: 1349564

Latest from the BoM:

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 07:47:56
ID: 1349565

Latest from Fiji:

http://www.met.gov.fj/index.php?page=threadmap

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 07:53:17
ID: 1349567

Latest BoM satellite image. Oma looks less ferocious than this time yesterday.

http://satview.bom.gov.au/

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 08:00:18
ID: 1349568

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-21/cyclone-oma-less-likely-to-make-landfall-bom-says/10831036

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 08:03:53
ID: 1349569

Some of the words under the Bom’s track map. URL immediately below.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Details of Tropical Cyclone Oma at 4:00 am AEST:

Intensity: category 2, sustained winds near the centre of 95 kilometres per hour with wind gusts to 130 kilometres per hour.
Location: within 55 kilometres of 22.1 degrees South, 160.5 degrees East , 960 kilometres northeast of Brisbane .
Movement: south southwest at 8 kilometres per hour .

Tropical Cyclone Oma is expected to continue moving in a general southwesterly direction for the next couple of days whilst maintaining category 2 intensity, bringing it closer to the southeast Queensland coast on Friday. Oma’s motion becomes slow moving and more uncertain over the weekend, possibly taking a more northwest track off the Queensland coast. Oma may still be close enough to produce direct impacts along the Queensland coast even if it does not make landfall.

Hazards:

Abnormally high tides and dangerous surf conditions are expected along the southern Queensland coast over the next few days and into early next week. Seas and swell are also expected to increase well ahead of the approach of Oma. A Severe Weather Warning for Abnormally High Tides and Dangerous Surf and a Hazardous Surf Warning are current.
Gale force winds are expected to develop along exposed coastal areas of southern Queensland during Friday well ahead of Oma.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 09:15:17
ID: 1349581

Interesting story with some pictures from the 1893 Brisbane floods.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-21/cyclone-oma-is-not-the-first-cyclone-to-threaten-brisbane/10829026

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 09:17:36
ID: 1349582

Stormy

One model of several

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/weatherpulse/player/Weatherpulse-Cyclone-Oma-approaching/6004362058001

WZ notes that Oma’s track in a SW direction is very unusual.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 09:18:39
ID: 1349583

Windy.com’s latest model shows Oma coming near here, then northwards, but well away from the coast, to cross north of Mackay with lots of rain there (again).

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 09:21:08
ID: 1349585

Michael V said:

Windy.com’s latest model shows Oma coming near here, then northwards, but well away from the coast, to cross north of Mackay with lots of rain there (again).

Well that’s no good from my point of view :)

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 09:22:05
ID: 1349586

Michael V said:

That trough/TC just looooooooves that area.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 09:23:21
ID: 1349587

Ian said:

Michael V said:

Nor mine, really. That model has us with very little rain.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 09:35:31
ID: 1349588

Michael V said:

Ian said:

Michael V said:

shakes fist at Oma

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 09:43:39
ID: 1349590

Peak Warming Man said:

Michael V said:

Ian said:

shakes fist at Oma

Latest BOM

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 09:48:00
ID: 1349591

I’m constantly shaking my head and rolling my eyes at Oma.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 11:40:56
ID: 1349663

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 11:44:05
ID: 1349666

There’s a high pressure ridge in the Tasman which is probably going to block the southerly movement of the storm and send it north.. … we’re saved… no one gives a shit about QLD north of noosa.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 11:46:37
ID: 1349667

Dropbear said:

There’s a high pressure ridge in the Tasman which is probably going to block the southerly movement of the storm and send it north.. … we’re saved… no one gives a shit about QLD north of noosa.

Oh great. I have to go to Cairns at the end of the month. Looks like it will be just in time for Oma. :(

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 11:47:16
ID: 1349669

Tamb said:

Dropbear said:

Oh great. I have to go to Cairns at the end of the month. Looks like it will be just in time for Oma. :(

nah …. I think it’s going to be felt more rocky/mackay …all depends when it hooks a right

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 11:58:30
ID: 1349675

Dropbear said:

Nice bar-steward you turned out to be…

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 11:59:55
ID: 1349676

Michael V said:

Dropbear said:

heheheeh

;)

to be fair I have better things to do than look for wankers who fall off their windsurfers in 40 kts..

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 12:03:14
ID: 1349682
Weather Situation: At 10am AEST Thursday, tropical cyclone Oma (category 2) was situated over the southern Coral Sea, approximately 890 kilometres northeast of Brisbane, and moving in a southwesterly direction. Oma is expected to continue moving in a general southwesterly direction towards southeast Queensland during during today and into Friday, whilst maintaining category 2 intensity. Dangerous surf conditions are forecast to develop about the east coast of Fraser Island and Wide Bay coast between about Seventeen Seventy and Bargara later this afternoon and evening. These conditions are then expected to extend southwards along the remainder of the southeast Queensland coast, including the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast, during this evening and Friday. Water levels on the morning high tide are likely to exceed the highest tide of the year along the southeast Queensland coast during today and Friday. Water levels may exceed the highest tide of the year by around one metre about beachfront areas exposed to wave action. Beach erosion is likely to continue due to a combination of the increasing surf and abnormally high tides. Locations which may be affected include Gold Coast, Maroochydore, Moreton Island, Noosa Heads, Caloundra, Rainbow Beach, Fraser Island and Seventeen Seventy. A Tropical Cyclone Watch will soon be issued for areas between Bundaberg and Ballina (NSW).

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ21037.shtml
(10:54am)

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 12:06:22
ID: 1349684

Dropbear said:

Michael V said:

Dropbear said:

heheheeh

;)

to be fair I have better things to do than look for wankers who fall off their windsurfers in 40 kts..

Some mothers do have them.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 12:09:21
ID: 1349685

Michael V said:

Dropbear said:

Michael V said:

heheheeh

;)

Some mothers do have them.

You do have to be quite frank about them

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 12:14:53
ID: 1349687

Latest on Oma from BoM – now there’s a declared watch zone:

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 12:18:19
ID: 1349689

I can report Moreton Bay at Redcliffe is rather choppy and higher-than-normal waves hitting the shore. Then again, Moreton at Reddy is normally dead flat thanks to Moreton Island.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 12:39:54
ID: 1349717

BOM has issued cyclone warning from Bundaberg to Ballina.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 12:46:24
ID: 1349722

Ian said:

i been everywhere man

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 12:48:41
ID: 1349726

Dropbear said:

Ian said:

i been everywhere man

See Ballina and die

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 13:10:28
ID: 1349741

Divine Angel said:

I can report Moreton Bay at Redcliffe is rather choppy and higher-than-normal waves hitting the shore. Then again, Moreton at Reddy is normally dead flat thanks to Moreton Island.

> Then again, Moreton at Reddy is normally dead flat thanks to Moreton Island.

That matches my memory.

I’m extremely interested to know whether the place I used to live in gets flooded by the storm surge. Pummicestone Passage.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 13:12:35
ID: 1349743

mollwollfumble said:

Divine Angel said:

> Then again, Moreton at Reddy is normally dead flat thanks to Moreton Island.

That matches my memory.

I’m extremely interested to know whether the place I used to live in gets flooded by the storm surge. Pummicestone Passage.

nice place that

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 14:26:35
ID: 1349823

The wind has picked up quite a bit from this morning. Here it’s currently a gusty strong breeze. Double Island point is recording near-gale conditions.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 14:31:46
ID: 1349828

Michael V said:

The wind has picked up quite a bit from this morning. Here it’s currently a gusty strong breeze. Double Island point is recording near-gale conditions.

How is Gale?

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 14:33:28
ID: 1349829

Michael V said:

38 kts max gust at DIP… no need to panic just yet

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ60801/IDQ60801.94584.shtml

You can see it’s on the rise though

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 14:36:02
ID: 1349831

Dropbear said:

Michael V said:

Caused by the oil layer on the ocean

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 14:37:45
ID: 1349832

Zarkov said:

fuck off, dipshit.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 14:40:40
ID: 1349836

Michael V said:

Double Island point is nowhere near two islands. Stoopid queenslanders.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 14:41:23
ID: 1349837

Dropbear said:

Michael V said:

How is Gale?

Shoosh, you!

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 14:43:53
ID: 1349840

Dropbear said:

Michael V said:

No panic. Just reporting, using the Beaufort Wind Scale.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 14:44:06
ID: 1349841

Dropbear said:

Zarkov said:

fuck off, dipshit.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 14:44:17
ID: 1349842

Zarkov said:

Dropbear said:

Michael V said:

Nonsense!

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 14:46:14
ID: 1349845

sibeen said:

Michael V said:

Poms, you mean. It was Captain Cook who named it in 1770. Originally as “Double Island”, but revised when he go closer and saw the feature was attached to the mainland.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 14:48:49
ID: 1349846

Zarkov said:

Dropbear said:

Zarkov said:

fuck off, dipshit.

Why are you calling yourself names

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 14:51:01
ID: 1349848

Michael V said:

sibeen said:

Michael V said:

Poms, you mean. It was Captain Cook who named it in 1770. Originally as “Double Island”, but revised when he go closer and saw the feature was attached to the mainland.

He was a migrant, came to Australia and stayed for a month or two near Cooktown and all he did was whinge, it’s too hot, too many mossies, on and on he went, shithouse country, no vegetables……. on and on, whinge whinge whinge.
And then he fucked off home.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 14:54:56
ID: 1349850

Peak Warming Man said:

Michael V said:

sibeen said:

He was a migrant, came to Australia and stayed for a month or two near Cooktown and all he did was whinge, it’s too hot, too many mossies, on and on he went, shithouse country, no vegetables……. on and on, whinge whinge whinge.

typical yorkshireman. like boycott.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 15:35:36
ID: 1349861

Ian said:

CORRECTION: There is no cyclone warning so you can stand down.

There is a cyclone watch however so don’t lie down. (at least keep one eye open if you do)

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 15:42:50
ID: 1349865

ChrispenEvan said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Michael V said:

typical yorkshireman. like boycott.

snigger

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 16:15:57
ID: 1349874

very close to Gale Force winds now at Cape Moreton and Double Island point (32 knots).. Gale Force officially starts at 34 knots sustained surface winds.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 16:17:45
ID: 1349875

Dropbear said:

very close to Gale Force winds now at Cape Moreton and Double Island point (32 knots).. Gale Force officially starts at 34 knots sustained surface winds.

Forcing wind is probably not good for Gale

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 16:46:30
ID: 1349876

Cymek said:

Dropbear said:

Forcing wind is probably not good for Gale

It’s unsustainable.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 16:57:50
ID: 1349878

Peak Warming Man said:

Michael V said:

sibeen said:

Sounds like a great number of poms that came here – except for the Cooktown bit

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 18:45:24
ID: 1349916

Currently gusting at 72kph and getting stronger.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 18:46:36
ID: 1349917

Latest BoM track map and gale watch areas:

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 18:58:48
ID: 1349929

Questions from Mini Me:

Will the cyclone hit us?
Will the cyclone hit the playground?
Will the cyclone hit the library?
Will the cyclone hit Oma’s house?
Will the cyclone hit open Mic?
Dorothy doesn’t like cyclones. Will the cyclone take me to the wizard of Oz?

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 19:01:16
ID: 1349934

Divine Angel said:

Questions from Mini Me:

Will the cyclone hit us?
Will the cyclone hit the playground?
Will the cyclone hit the library?
Will the cyclone hit Oma’s house?
Will the cyclone hit open Mic?
Dorothy doesn’t like cyclones. Will the cyclone take me to the wizard of Oz?

Oh the joy…

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2019 19:15:27
ID: 1349952

Image posted in chat by PWM:

“Oh, lets turn it off for four days so we can replace the wigwam to a gooses bridle bit.” says the BoM head technician.

I guess they’ve still got the old Marburg radar…

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 02:44:46
ID: 1350118

Feb 21

The category 2 cyclone is sitting about 890km northeast of Brisbane, noticeably closer than the 950km distance recorded this morning.

Oma is currently travelling southwest at 11km/h and is expected to continue moving towards the southeast cost of Queensland today and tomorrow.

Earlier forecasters thought it was becoming less likely that the tropical cyclone would cross the Queensland coast.

Bureau of Meteorology senior forecaster Jonty Hall said Oma will maintain its slow path towards the coast until tomorrow.

After that, its behaviour is less predictable.

There is a reasonable consensus that Oma will be on that NNW track by 24th however there are 20 models all showing different things happening after that including…

Wandering around in much the same area
Turning back toward the SE Qld coast
Tracking all the way up to Cairns
Tracking all the way down to Port Macquarie

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 02:49:56
ID: 1350119

I wonder if exploding a nuclear bomb in the middle of a cyclone would disperse it.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 03:08:47
ID: 1350120

Bubblecar said:

I wonder if exploding a nuclear bomb in the middle of a cyclone would disperse it.

Nah. Probly just make it angry.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 08:18:36
ID: 1350128

Ian said:

Bubblecar said:

Nah. Probly just make it angry.

Never piss off a Dutch or German woman.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 08:21:01
ID: 1350129

Winds gusting at 65 kph. We got a few drops of rain last night.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 08:23:58
ID: 1350130

Divine Angel said:

Winds gusting at 65 kph. We got a few drops of rain last night.

Looks like most of the rain fell south of the border overnight.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 08:59:29
ID: 1350134

Been feeling the influence of Oma overnight. Winds gusting to 31 km/h.

1.5 mm rain. (nearby locations got 30, 60 mm (grrr))

The surfers seem to be enjoying it. I feel a trip to the coast coming on :)

nigj

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 09:09:18
ID: 1350135

Bubblecar said:

That question used to be favourite one in cold war times.

The simple answer is “no”, a hurricane contains too much energy.

A more complicated answer is that a hurricane feeds off heat. Adding an atomic blast adds to that heat. It would intensify the hurricane, slightly.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 09:11:07
ID: 1350136

Latest track map from BoM. Oma is now a Cat 1 storm, but expected to go back to Cat 2 again today. The cyclone watch and zone has been cancelled. We got a little rain last night, including one very heavy but short shower. All up, about 2 mm.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 09:15:32
ID: 1350137

Michael V said:

Latest track map from BoM. Oma is now a Cat 1 storm, but expected to go back to Cat 2 again today. The cyclone watch and zone has been cancelled. We got a little rain last night, including one very heavy but short shower. All up, about 2 mm.

> The cyclone watch and zone has been cancelled.

That’s good news. I think.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 09:27:46
ID: 1350139

mollwollfumble said:

Michael V said:

> The cyclone watch and zone has been cancelled.

That’s good news. I think.

Yeah. Pretty much.

But I was looking forward to some rain and wind. I’ve even weighted down the stuff in the yard I think night become missiles, or moved them to shelter in the garage or house.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 09:43:50
ID: 1350146

It’s a big disappointment, delivering no rain anywhere that I want.
Cyclone Oma is going on my list of things that can get fucked.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 10:04:16
ID: 1350149

Peak Warming Man said:

LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 10:07:31
ID: 1350150

Parking spots at a premium… above at Rainbow Beach

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 10:20:53
ID: 1350151

Peak Warming Man said:

Above paddock trees?

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 10:27:56
ID: 1350152

Ian said:

LOL.

What a fool. Big waves plus a high King Tide has eroded the beach, so he tries to drive around the exposed rocks…

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 10:45:17
ID: 1350155

First blackout. It’s been reset quickly though. There may be more blackouts. I don’t have the internet without electricity, so I may be gone some little while if there is a major disruption to electricity infrastructure.

Off to check the high tide at the beach and Inskip Point.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 13:17:38
ID: 1350259

Ian said:

nigj

Was this a tic post? We’ve been gusting in the thirties all morning and we certainly aren’t in the influence of any cyclone. Thirties is a zephyr. I fought to hang out sheets a couple of weeks ago and when I checked, the gusts were 60-70. Dried the sheets very efficiently and removed lots of wrinkles too.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 13:21:06
ID: 1350262

buffy said:

Ian said:

nigj

Was this a tic post? We’ve been gusting in the thirties all morning and we certainly aren’t in the influence of any cyclone. Thirties is a zephyr. I fought to hang out sheets a couple of weeks ago and when I checked, the gusts were 60-70. Dried the sheets very efficiently and removed lots of wrinkles too.

Looks like it may go away but I don’t like these sort of cyclones. They seem to be looking where they might do the most damage.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 13:24:40
ID: 1350263

Tamb said:

buffy said:

Ian said:

nigj

Looks like it may go away but I don’t like these sort of cyclones. They seem to be looking where they might do the most damage.

It’s the big wobbly bubblegum monster and he’s blowing a bubble at southern QLD!

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 13:33:26
ID: 1350268

Michael V said:

Ian said:

LOL.

What a fool. Big waves plus a high King Tide has eroded the beach, so he tries to drive around the exposed rocks…

Clearly people who shouldn’t be allowed to have cars.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 13:36:06
ID: 1350272

Tamb said:

buffy said:

Ian said:

nigj

Cyclone track going epicycle?

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 13:45:54
ID: 1350278

buffy said:

Ian said:

nigj

Huh? Was this a tic post? A zephyr is a light breeze.. 6 – 11 km/h

The coast is under a warning for gale force winds. Currently gusting to 65 km/h

Your abilty to hang sheets in a gale does not concern me.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 14:04:12
ID: 1350285

mollwollfumble said:

Tamb said:

buffy said:

Probably as good as any prediction.

48 hrs ago BOM was predicting rainfall totals of around 300 mm over the weekend. Now, almost zero except for some showers on the very coastal strip.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 14:05:37
ID: 1350287

Ian said:

mollwollfumble said:

Tamb said:

48 hrs ago BOM was predicting rainfall totals of around 300 mm over the weekend. Now, almost zero except for some showers on the very coastal strip.

the high down south has held up it’s progress and will push it back.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 14:14:13
ID: 1350297

roughbarked said:

Ian said:

mollwollfumble said:

Back to where though?

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 14:15:27
ID: 1350300

Ian said:

roughbarked said:

Ian said:

Back to where though?

North. I doubt it will make land.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 16:27:12
ID: 1350374

Michael V said:

First blackout. It’s been reset quickly though. There may be more blackouts. I don’t have the internet without electricity, so I may be gone some little while if there is a major disruption to electricity infrastructure.

Blackout until a few minutes ago.

High tide at Inskip Point: Much erosion happening. Lots of trees have been toppled and washed into sea. Water much higher than I’ve ever seen it.

At Rainbow Beach beach: higher than it’s been for a couple of years at least. Eroding back into the shallow sand-cliff near the base of the low fore-dune. 2-4 m surf. Water brown.

There’s been some very strong wind gusts; it’s blowing a gale…

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 16:29:42
ID: 1350376

Tamb said:

buffy said:

Ian said:

nigj

Heh!

It looks that way…

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 16:52:40
ID: 1350393

Michael V said:

Michael V said:

High tide at Inskip Point: Much erosion happening. Lots of trees have been toppled and washed into sea. Water much higher than I’ve ever seen it.

At Rainbow Beach beach: higher than it’s been for a couple of years at least. Eroding back into the shallow sand-cliff near the base of the low fore-dune. 2-4 m surf. Water brown.

On Higgins Storm Chasing Facebook page, they’re saying the far side of Moreton island had 13m waves and about the same for Caloundra.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 16:56:20
ID: 1350398

Divine Angel said:

Michael V said:

Michael V said:

On Higgins Storm Chasing Facebook page, they’re saying the far side of Moreton island had 13m waves and about the same for Caloundra.

13 metres!

Sounds a bit big to me. At Caloundra, that’d be well into the shopping centre, wouldn’t it?

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 16:58:14
ID: 1350400

Michael V said:

Divine Angel said:

Michael V said:

13 metres!

Sounds a bit big to me. At Caloundra, that’d be well into the shopping centre, wouldn’t it?

I daresay there will be more images of inundated cars.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 16:59:14
ID: 1350401

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

Divine Angel said:

13 metres!

I daresay there will be more images of inundated cars.

Last news I noted which was early this morning, the waves were getting above six metres.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 17:38:20
ID: 1350421

Michael V said:

Michael V said:

Picsorban

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 17:41:50
ID: 1350423

Ian said:

Michael V said:

Michael V said:

Picsorban

Ban.

No pics.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 18:26:33
ID: 1350449

It’s a big sucker.. twice the diameter of Debbie

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/weatherpulse/player/Weatherpulse-Cyclone-Oma-this-weekend/6005556230001

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 18:33:57
ID: 1350450

Ian said:

buffy said:

Ian said:

nigj

Huh? Was this a tic post? A zephyr is a light breeze.. 6 – 11 km/h

The coast is under a warning for gale force winds. Currently gusting to 65 km/h

Your abilty to hang sheets in a gale does not concern me.

I was questioning that gusts at 31km/hr were anything out of the ordinary.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 18:34:46
ID: 1350451

Latest from the BoM:

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 18:37:02
ID: 1350453

Michael V said:

Latest from the BoM:

So if it is coming to land, it is still in the same range it was, this morning.

I keep saying that it is the high and highs down south that will keep this off the coast for a while yet.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 07:43:54
ID: 1350724

Oma expected to weaken into a tropical low and be de-named this morning.

Well, that was a fizzer.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 08:01:14
ID: 1350725

Divine Angel said:

Well, that was a fizzer.

It certainly wet a lot of FNQ before it fizzled.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 09:21:43
ID: 1350730

Latest from the BoM:

So from last night Oma has intensified to Cat 2, but is now “undergoing extratropical transition” and is expected to be de-named. What does this bit of jargon actually mean?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 09:25:19
ID: 1350734

Michael V said:

Latest from the BoM:

So from last night Oma has intensified to Cat 2, but is now “undergoing extratropical transition” and is expected to be de-named. What does this bit of jargon actually mean?

It’s like being ‘drummed out of the Army’. The cyclone is paraded in front of its peers, has its badges of rank and regiment torn off, and is forcibly ejected into the wilderness.

It’s the ultimate disgrace for a tropical weather system. some have been known to turn around, and come back stonger than ever as revenge.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 09:31:05
ID: 1350736

Divine Angel said:

Well, that was a fizzer.

Predictions for Oma have changed a half a dozen times this morning. The last one I heard was was the BOM “reckoned” it would turn northward and drop below cyclone strength, but a lot of uncertainty remained.

(New protocols have been instituted at the BOM. One bloke spins another around and around before he/she lobs the darts over the shoulder toward where the dartboard would be positioned if it had not be removed altogether.

ingsnss :)

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 09:41:50
ID: 1350738

Ian said:

Divine Angel said:

Well, that was a fizzer.

Predictions for Oma have changed a half a dozen times this morning. The last one I heard was was the BOM “reckoned” it would turn northward and drop below cyclone strength, but a lot of uncertainty remained.

(New protocols have been instituted at the BOM. One bloke spins another around and around before he/she lobs the darts over the shoulder toward where the dartboard would be positioned if it had not be removed altogether.

ingsnss :)

‘The El Niño–Southern Oscillation (ENSO) remains neutral. However, the Bureau’s ENSO Outlook remains at El Niño WATCH, meaning there is approximately a 50% chance of El Niño developing during the southern hemisphere autumn or winter, twice the normal likelihood.’ – BOM website

The BOM like to warn of the approach of El nino like the L/NP likes to warn about ‘the boats’. Like the arival of one of ‘the boats’ for the govt, the arrival of an El Nino is a god-send for BOM. Anytime anything severe and/or unexpected happens anywhere, BOM can just shrug and say, ‘well, El Nino…’

I’m not saying their predictions aren’t accurate or necessary – but having an El Nino makes life rather less complicated for them.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 09:53:00
ID: 1350739

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 09:53:53
ID: 1350740

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extratropical_cyclone#Extratropical_transition

It seems that the structure and organisation of the storm changes. The storm may even become bigger and the core becomes weaker.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 10:02:11
ID: 1350742

I’m not saying their predictions aren’t accurate or necessary – but having an El Nino makes life rather less complicated for them.

But have you factored in Madden-Julian Oscillation?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 10:03:47
ID: 1350743

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ21037.shtml

“Locally damaging wind gusts in excess of 90 kilometres per hour are likely about the exposed coast and islands between Sandy Cape and the Qld/NSW border today. These damaging wind gusts may extend to the southern border ranges, inland to about Springbrook and Tamborine Mountain, today and into Sunday.

Locations which may be affected include Gold Coast, Maroochydore, Moreton Island, North Stradbroke Island, Noosa Heads, Caloundra, Rainbow Beach, Fraser Island, Tamborine Mountain and Springbrook.

Maximum wave heights of 12-13m recorded at Mooloolaba and off Point Lookout during Friday, which is larger than those recorded in cyclone Oswald.”

I withdraw my comments (yesterday) about 13 metre wave heights. That’s extraordinary. We didn’t have anything like that. Probably 4 metres maximum. (Still bloody big, though!)

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 10:22:59
ID: 1350747

Ian said:

No, i was saving that in case anything that BOM says about El Nino etc started to make sense. If that should happen, i coud just lob in the MJO, like a hand grenade, and restore things to normal.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 10:26:37
ID: 1350748

‘Canberra’s chaplain community slams what it says is the “ludicrous” decision to ban all chaplains from ACT public schools’ – ABC News

Aww, no more taxpayer-funded religious recruiting.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 10:27:00
ID: 1350749

Aaannnd, wrong thread – again.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 10:40:16
ID: 1350757

Ian said:

Or Duckworth- Lewis. They forgot about how much is a duck worth, Lewis.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 10:45:28
ID: 1350759

Woodie said:

Ian said:

It’s worth a wet cricket.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 10:48:30
ID: 1350760

Tamb said:

Woodie said:

Ian said:

It’s worth a wet cricket.

The difference between high and ;low pressure.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 11:01:03
ID: 1350764

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 11:07:15
ID: 1350768

Tamb said:

We had a new ‘psychic’ (Pete the Medium, was his moniker) arrive in Bundaberg some several years back. He got a write-up in the local paper (not known for being averse to a bit of twaddle), and he made some predictions.

One was that a cyclone would form, and cross the Qld coast ‘soon’ and ‘near Bundaberg’.

I wrote to the paper, asking what he considered to be a cyclone, just how soon ‘soon’ might be (a week? eight weeks? two years?), and just how near was ‘near’ (10 km? 200km? 1,000 km?).

No response. Also, no cyclone.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 11:10:43
ID: 1350769

Tamb said:

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 11:18:48
ID: 1350772

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-23/tropical-cyclone-oma-weakens-off-southern-queensland-coast/10839374

“Tropical Cyclone Oma has weakened to a sub-tropical low but is still whipping up damaging winds and dangerous surf, the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) says.

Senior forecaster Gabriel Brunescu said the system was currently 700 kilometres east of Brisbane and was forecast to turn and head north.

“Tonight ex-tropical cyclone Oma will head back to the north, over the next coming days and into next week, but staying well away from our shores,” he said.”

Nothing about that on the BoM website, and their last track map has yet to be updated.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 11:19:53
ID: 1350773

Tamb said:

LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 11:23:31
ID: 1350775

Michael V said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-23/tropical-cyclone-oma-weakens-off-southern-queensland-coast/10839374

“Tropical Cyclone Oma has weakened to a sub-tropical low but is still whipping up damaging winds and dangerous surf, the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) says.

Senior forecaster Gabriel Brunescu said the system was currently 700 kilometres east of Brisbane and was forecast to turn and head north.

“Tonight ex-tropical cyclone Oma will head back to the north, over the next coming days and into next week, but staying well away from our shores,” he said.”

Nothing about that on the BoM website, and their last track map has yet to be updated.

It has been out dominated by the high pressure systems in the south.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 11:29:33
ID: 1350781

Michael V said:

Update due at 11am

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 12:18:23
ID: 1350852

Latest advice from the BoM – Oma is now an Ex-TC, but still packing a punch:

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 12:19:52
ID: 1350856

Michael V said:

They call that a north coast low, those who around the Northern Rivers area.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 12:32:01
ID: 1350870

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

Not really. An east coast low develops as an extra-tropical cyclone. eg:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_east_coast_low

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 13:12:38
ID: 1350895

Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

Not really. An east coast low develops as an extra-tropical cyclone. eg:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_east_coast_low

Yeah. Ex TC Oma is being now being referred to as a subtropical low.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 18:04:16
ID: 1351050

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2019 12:03:56
ID: 1351241

Saturday:

All Gold Coast beaches remained closed for swimming on Saturday, but the big waves lured surfers to take to the water in droves.

Mooloolaba received an offshore swell of up to 13 metres on Friday, and Coastalwatch crowed over a video of Kirra Beach showing Mick Fanning, Joel Parkinson, Mitch Parkinson and “many more core lords getting mega slotted”.

Between Noosa and Mooloolaba, lifesavers rescued 43 surfers on Thursday, the ABC reported.

Today:

The system, which has been downgraded from a category two to a sub-tropical low, is currently 700 kilometres east of Brisbane.

A warning remains in place from Fraser Island to the New South Wales border for damaging winds, abnormally high tides, and dangerous surf. 

All beaches on the Gold Coast were closed on Saturday due to the wild conditions, while some of the more protected beaches on the Sunshine Coast are open.

A rescue helicopter pulled a man from the surf on the Gold Coast after an incident with a jet ski.

Eight people were also pulled from the water during dawn patrols this morning.

Lifesavers said an overseas tourist was almost swept away while taking photos in ankle-deep water on a beach.

—-

Amazing no one been drowned.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2019 12:06:29
ID: 1351244

Ian said:

Saturday:

All Gold Coast beaches remained closed for swimming on Saturday, but the big waves lured surfers to take to the water in droves.

Mooloolaba received an offshore swell of up to 13 metres on Friday, and Coastalwatch crowed over a video of Kirra Beach showing Mick Fanning, Joel Parkinson, Mitch Parkinson and “many more core lords getting mega slotted”.

Between Noosa and Mooloolaba, lifesavers rescued 43 surfers on Thursday, the ABC reported.

Today:

The system, which has been downgraded from a category two to a sub-tropical low, is currently 700 kilometres east of Brisbane.

A warning remains in place from Fraser Island to the New South Wales border for damaging winds, abnormally high tides, and dangerous surf. 

All beaches on the Gold Coast were closed on Saturday due to the wild conditions, while some of the more protected beaches on the Sunshine Coast are open.

A rescue helicopter pulled a man from the surf on the Gold Coast after an incident with a jet ski.

Lifesavers said an overseas tourist was almost swept away while taking photos in ankle-deep water on a beach.

—-

Ankle deep? Do they mean a rogue wave got him? (Which would not be ankle deep and is very very scary)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2019 12:15:52
ID: 1351248

buffy said:

Ian said:

Saturday:

Today:

—-

Ankle deep? Do they mean a rogue wave got him? (Which would not be ankle deep and is very very scary)

Dunno. Ankle-deep is a common term while half-way-up-the-shin-deep is not.

shrug

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2019 19:43:05
ID: 1351867

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-02-25/cudgen-banana-crop-damaged-cyclone-oma/10847430

Reply Quote