Date: 22/02/2019 16:28:40
ID: 1350375
Subject: Zebras' stripes found to keep flies from landing

Good marketing opportunity here.

>>In order to determine if the stripes were responsible for this difference, the researchers proceeded to cover all of the animals in cloth coats that were either solid white, solid black, or zebra-striped. Sure enough, regardless of whether it was a zebra or a domestic horse wearing the coat, flies landed on the solid colors while largely avoiding the stripes.<<

https://newatlas.com/zebras-horses-flies-stripes/58583/

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 16:44:59
ID: 1350385
Subject: re: Zebras' stripes found to keep flies from landing

PermeateFree said:

Good marketing opportunity here.

>>In order to determine if the stripes were responsible for this difference, the researchers proceeded to cover all of the animals in cloth coats that were either solid white, solid black, or zebra-striped. Sure enough, regardless of whether it was a zebra or a domestic horse wearing the coat, flies landed on the solid colors while largely avoiding the stripes.<<

https://newatlas.com/zebras-horses-flies-stripes/58583/

What we need is a stripey melting pot. Big enou big enough to hold the world and all it has got.
We’ll have stripey coloured people by the score

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 16:52:01
ID: 1350391

Damn, we need all of the clothes in Australia to be stripey.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 16:54:07
ID: 1350394

Kothos said:

We could all easily throw a striped mu mu on.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 19:56:51
ID: 1350531

roughbarked said:

Kothos said:

Worth a try.

I was looking at photos of zebras lately and thinking ‘that is not good camouflage’. But if it’s intended to discourage insects then those stripes make much more sense.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 20:06:35
ID: 1350535

mollwollfumble said:

roughbarked said:

Kothos said:

Worth a try.

I was looking at photos of zebras lately and thinking ‘that is not good camouflage’. But if it’s intended to discourage insects then those stripes make much more sense.

I dunno, as camoflague it’s not intended for our eyes but viewed from at knee height in grass and I always thought it was an element of WW2 dazzle pattern to disguise heading and speed, especially against a backdrop of similarly moving animals.

But for flies it’s good as well but dunno if that is its primary purpose, longer tail, lashes and mane would cover that.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 20:07:31
ID: 1350536

mollwollfumble said:

roughbarked said:

Kothos said:

Worth a try.

I need to develop a stripy skin, to ward off biting flies (mosquitoes, midges, march-flies).

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 20:09:02
ID: 1350539

AwesomeO said:

mollwollfumble said:

roughbarked said:

Worth a try.

I dunno, as camoflague it’s not intended for our eyes but viewed from at knee height in grass and I always thought it was an element of WW2 dazzle pattern to disguise heading and speed, especially against a backdrop of similarly moving animals.

But for flies it’s good as well but dunno if that is its primary purpose, longer tail, lashes and mane would cover that.

The science behind their finding is fairly robust.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 20:23:15
ID: 1350557

Michael V said:

AwesomeO said:

mollwollfumble said:

Worth a try.

Why can’t one feature provide more than one advantage? Sounds like a good evolutionary development.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 21:48:39
ID: 1350580

PermeateFree said:

Michael V said:

AwesomeO said:

Why can’t one feature provide more than one advantage? Sounds like a good evolutionary development.

Sure.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 13:28:07
ID: 1350908

Doesn’t seem to work

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 13:31:29
ID: 1350911

dv said:

Doesn’t seem to work

Works better than a different hide.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 14:58:58
ID: 1350974

dv said:

Doesn’t seem to work

Dang. Didn’t repel the flies, eh?

Hold on, did you try a genuine zebra onesie?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 15:03:41
ID: 1350978

mollwollfumble said:

dv said:

Doesn’t seem to work

Dang. Didn’t repel the flies, eh?

Hold on, did you try a genuine zebra onesie?

I’m really not sure that dv wants to take his science hide to stripping zebras.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 15:10:59
ID: 1350982

AwesomeO said:

mollwollfumble said:

roughbarked said:

Worth a try.

The way I have heard it explained before it confuses predators when there is a herd of zebra. Makes it harder for predators to single out one zebra in the melee if it is all a blur of stripes.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 15:11:55
ID: 1350984

party_pants said:

AwesomeO said:

mollwollfumble said:

Worth a try.

The way I have heard it explained before it confuses predators when there is a herd of zebra. Makes it harder for predators to single out one zebra in the melee if it is all a blur of stripes.

Yeah, it works with lions too.

Reply Quote