Date: 22/02/2019 19:00:20
ID: 1350485
Subject: Ryugu landing

The Hayabusa 2 has landed on Ryugu and is all set for sample collection and return.

Seen on ABC News. Along with news about Israel rocket launch in preparation for a moon landing later.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 19:05:01
ID: 1350493
Subject: re: Ryugu landing

mollwollfumble said:

The Hayabusa 2 has landed on Ryugu and is all set for sample collection and return.

Seen on ABC News. Along with news about Israel rocket launch in preparation for a moon landing later.

saw report about them and science guy on news talking about it before left to come home

be nice to see a space station on the moon, two perhaps, one for the science, another for the yobbo tourists

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 19:06:08
ID: 1350496

transition said:

mollwollfumble said:

saw report about them and science guy on news talking about it before left to come home

be nice to see a space station on the moon, two perhaps, one for the science, another for the yobbo tourists

I’ve always wondered. They left a Bulova accutron on the moon. I’ve never heard any more about it.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2019 19:34:31
ID: 1350526

roughbarked said:

transition said:

mollwollfumble said:

I’ve always wondered. They left a Bulova accutron on the moon. I’ve never heard any more about it.

A what? Oh, a watch. Presumably jettisoned as useless weight.

“The spacecraft has fired a small projectile into the surface of Ryugu to collect particles to bring back to Earth for analysis, the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) said on Friday.”

The projectile created a crater and Hayabusa 2 landed in the crater. Thus resolving the problem of having an asteroid too rough to land on. And also producing lots of little easy to pick up pieces.

Video (possibly) about the touchdown at
https://www.firstpost.com/tech/science/touchdown-japans-hayabusa2-spacecraft-lands-on-distant-asteroid-to-grab-sample-6133751.html

Have an image.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 09:24:37
ID: 1350733

Press release video of landing, and earlier successes. In Japanese with some English text.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9EJO6yyEZlk

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 09:40:28
ID: 1350737

mollwollfumble said:

Press release video of landing, and earlier successes. In Japanese with some English text.

Not much English text. 17 minutes in, 184 metres above the landing point. Nail-biting drama.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 09:57:56
ID: 1350741

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

Not much English text. 17 minutes in, 184 metres above the landing point. Nail-biting drama.

27 minutes in. Talking about future JAXA missions, including one to Io !? Compares water on Earth to water on other solar system bodies. Great little graphics showing that there is less water on Earth than on some moons of the giant planets. I should screen dump those slides.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 10:12:39
ID: 1350744

Future JAXA missions. Heavily into sample return, thankfully.

MMX https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_Moons_Exploration
“The spacecraft will enter orbit around Mars, then transfer to Phobos, and land once or twice and gather sand-like regolith particles using a simple pneumatic system. The lander mission aims to retrieve a minimum 10 g (0.35 oz) of samples. The spacecraft will then take off from Phobos and make several flybys of the smaller moon Deimos before sending the Sample Return Capsule back to Earth, arriving in July 2029.”

DESTINY+
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DESTINY%2B
Demonstration and Experiment of Space Technology for INterplanetary voYage Phaethon fLyby dUSt science
“planned mission to flyby the meteor shower parent body 3200 Phaethon, as well as various minor bodies originating from the rock comet”. Launch in 2022. “A Lunar flyby will accelerate the probe into an interplanetary orbit. During this cruise time it will flyby a few near Earth objects for study, including the transition body 3200 Phaethon, as well as measure interplanetary and interstellar dust. The probe’s ion engines have the capability to perform another orbit transfer to study additional objects.”

CAESAR
(Comet Astrobiology Exploration Sample Return) is a proposed sample-return mission to comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 10:22:31
ID: 1350746

37 minutes in. 60 metre above the surface. We’ve seen a 3-D image of the landing site. It looks like this will be literally touch and go. Only landing for long enough to grab a sample.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 10:49:36
ID: 1350761

mollwollfumble said:

37 minutes in. 60 metre above the surface. We’ve seen a 3-D image of the landing site. It looks like this will be literally touch and go. Only landing for long enough to grab a sample.

52 minutes in. Impactor test on Earth. Like a large bullet impact.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 11:04:48
ID: 1350766

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

1:03 minutes in, what has happened, they’re clapping as if the touchdown has already occurred, but so far as I can tell the impactor hasn’t even been fired yet and they are still 44 metes up. By the way, the control room has been filling up, standing room only.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 11:17:39
ID: 1350771

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

1:03 minutes in, what has happened, they’re clapping as if the touchdown has already occurred, but so far as I can tell the impactor hasn’t even been fired yet and they are still 44 metes up. By the way, the control room has been filling up, standing room only.

Must have been the landing. By 2:12 in the video the spacecraft has already retreated to an altitude of 6 km.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 13:27:46
ID: 1350907

Nice

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2019 03:52:21
ID: 1351166

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

27 minutes in. Talking about future JAXA missions, including one to Io !? Compares water on Earth to water on other solar system bodies. Great little graphics showing that there is less water on Earth than on some moons of the giant planets. I should screen dump those slides.

Volume of Earth’s salt and fresh water, compared to volume of Earth

Volume of Earth’s water compared to that of some moons.

Spot the difference? The above graphic has Triton, while I have Tethys. Very interesting. The values quoted above are almost all within the ranges I’ve given below.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2019 21:44:33
ID: 1351522

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

Spot the difference? The above graphic has Triton, while I have Tethys. Very interesting. The values quoted above are almost all within the ranges I’ve given below.

How much water (all phases) on Venus, Jupiter and Saturn? There has to be some because the clouds on Venus are all water, and parts of the clouds on Jupiter and Satun are too.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2019 22:09:48
ID: 1351526

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

How much water (all phases) on Venus, Jupiter and Saturn? There has to be some because the clouds on Venus are all water, and parts of the clouds on Jupiter and Satun are too.

For Venus, we’re talking about 200 ppm water, perhaps a whisker less, throughout the atmosphere. From https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00320633 But Wikipedia says only 20 ppm. Perhaps wikipedia ignores the water in cloud drops, perhaps not.

Mass of atmosphere 4.8*10^20 kg.

That gives a range of 10^16 to 10^17 kg of water. 10,000 to 100,000 cubic kilometres of water.

Or 0.00001 to 0.0001 ZL of water. Much less than Enceladus, but not zero.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2019 22:22:09
ID: 1351527

Any of y’all watch the ‘Magical land of Oz’ on the ABC tonight? Any good?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2019 22:25:22
ID: 1351528

Opps sorry.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2019 17:00:45
ID: 1352178

Witty Rejoinder said:

Any of y’all watch the ‘Magical land of Oz’ on the ABC tonight? Any good?

The shadow of Hayabusa2 can be seen on the asteroid’s surface, along with the new dark smudge at the touchdown site.

From https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/02/dramatic-dark-smudge-appears-where-hayabusa2-landed-on-ryugu-asteroid/amp

> To gather samples, the Hayabusa2 probe used a projector—a kind of gun—to shoot a 5-gram tantalum bullet into the surface of Ryugu at 300 meters per second, or nearly 304.80m per second. Debris kicked up by the impact was then collected by the probe’s sampler horn. At least in theory—we won’t truly know if material entered into the horn until the probe returns to Earth in December 2020.

Um isn’t that lack of information something of an oversight?

Reply Quote