Date: 23/02/2019 03:11:28
ID: 1350705
Subject: Cab Ride Through Gotthard Base Tunnel

The longest railway tunnel in the world at 57km, the Gotthard Base Tunnel was opened in 2016. This relaxing 25 minute ride takes us through this sleek, brightly illuminated tunnel at high speed. It’s like something from the 21st century!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2hLNEKDFnA

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 03:16:09
ID: 1350706
Subject: re: Cab Ride Through Gotthard Base Tunnel

Bubblecar said:

The longest railway tunnel in the world at 57km, the Gotthard Base Tunnel was opened in 2016. This relaxing 25 minute ride takes us through this sleek, brightly illuminated tunnel at high speed. It’s like something from the 21st century!

Okay. I ‘ll give it a go.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 03:49:52
ID: 1350710

sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Pretty non eventful.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 03:54:56
ID: 1350712

sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Pretty non eventful.

Join me here in NM where it’s very eventful in my bathroom.

Grace is now chasing joggers along the back fence.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 03:56:17
ID: 1350713

sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Pretty non eventful.

It’s soothing in its way.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 04:02:35
ID: 1350717

Just the sheer number of lights is impressive. Must be astronomically expensive to power that tunnel but the Swiss are very wealthy.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 04:14:28
ID: 1350718

kii said:

sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:

Pretty non eventful.

Join me here in NM where it’s very eventful in my bathroom.

Grace is now chasing joggers along the back fence.

My dog has been farting all night.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 04:36:28
ID: 1350720

The Gotthard Base Tunnel, a project of unprecedented scale

An unprecedented feat of engineering will be unveiled to the world on June 1, 2016: the Gotthard Base railway tunnel. Here are some facts about the record-breaking achievement:

The tunnel in figures

- At 57,1 kilometres long, the Gotthard Base Tunnel is the longest train tunnel in the world.

- By comparison, the English Channel train tunnel is 50.5 km long, and the previous record-holder, Japan’s Seikan tunnel is 53.8 km long.

- The total cost reached 10.9 billions euros, entirely paid for by Switzerland. It is the same as the budget of the 2012 London Olympics.

- The construction works lasted 17 years during which work continued non-stop, with workers doing eight hours shifts.

- Over 2,600 workers were involved in the construction; nine of them were killed on site.

- To dig the tunnel, workers excavated 13.3 million cubic metres of rubble, five times the volume of the Great Pyramid of Giza.

- The first Gotthard Railway tunnel, built between 1872 and 1882 is 15 kilometres long. Its construction killed 177 workers and left 700 injured.

- At its lowest point, the tunnel is up to 2,300 metres under the surface.

- Passengers trains will run under the mountains at up to 250 km/h and freight trains will reach 160km/h.

- The 50 planned passenger trains going through the tunnel each day will thus take on average 20 minutes to go from one end of the tunnel to the other.

- It takes a car 1 hour to drive the 79 kilometres of mountain road separating Erstfeld and Biasca, the two ends of the tunnel.

- Thanks to the tunnel, a Berlin-Milan train trip will be reduced by 1 hours and 58 minutes.

https://www.euronews.com/2016/05/31/the-gotthard-base-tunnel-a-project-of-unprecedented-scale

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 04:45:49
ID: 1350721

Bubblecar said:

Just the sheer number of lights is impressive. Must be astronomically expensive to power that tunnel but the Swiss are very wealthy.

I wonder. Haven’t watched link yet.

Rev D would need to check, but I think lights in a tunnel can be fainter, use less power, than those on an open road.

“The lamps used in streetlights vary in both size and consumption (typically between 35 and 250 Watts) depending upon whether they are lighting a residential area, main road or a town centre. It is generally assumed that the average wattage of a streetlight is about 80 watts.”

“metal halide street light 400 watts, high-pressure sodium light 250 watts, mercury vapor light 100 watts, LED street light 73 watts.”

I just had one of those weird moments – what if the lights in the Gotthard Tunnel dimmed when the Large Hadron Collider was switched on? LOL.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 04:47:38
ID: 1350722

Bubblecar said:

The Gotthard Base Tunnel, a project of unprecedented scale

An unprecedented feat of engineering will be unveiled to the world on June 1, 2016: the Gotthard Base railway tunnel. Here are some facts about the record-breaking achievement:

The tunnel in figures

- At 57,1 kilometres long, the Gotthard Base Tunnel is the longest train tunnel in the world.

- By comparison, the English Channel train tunnel is 50.5 km long, and the previous record-holder, Japan’s Seikan tunnel is 53.8 km long.

- The total cost reached 10.9 billions euros, entirely paid for by Switzerland. It is the same as the budget of the 2012 London Olympics.

- The construction works lasted 17 years during which work continued non-stop, with workers doing eight hours shifts.

- Over 2,600 workers were involved in the construction; nine of them were killed on site.

- To dig the tunnel, workers excavated 13.3 million cubic metres of rubble, five times the volume of the Great Pyramid of Giza.

- The first Gotthard Railway tunnel, built between 1872 and 1882 is 15 kilometres long. Its construction killed 177 workers and left 700 injured.

- At its lowest point, the tunnel is up to 2,300 metres under the surface.

- Passengers trains will run under the mountains at up to 250 km/h and freight trains will reach 160km/h.

- The 50 planned passenger trains going through the tunnel each day will thus take on average 20 minutes to go from one end of the tunnel to the other.

- It takes a car 1 hour to drive the 79 kilometres of mountain road separating Erstfeld and Biasca, the two ends of the tunnel.

- Thanks to the tunnel, a Berlin-Milan train trip will be reduced by 1 hours and 58 minutes.

https://www.euronews.com/2016/05/31/the-gotthard-base-tunnel-a-project-of-unprecedented-scale

Thanks for that.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 13:27:21
ID: 1350906

I must admit that when you said cab ride, I thought you meant taxi cab ride.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 16:01:27
ID: 1351015

It might be an impressive bit of engineering but it makes for a boring Youtube video.
Did anyone really watch the whole 23 minutes ?
How does the train driver keep awake?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 16:02:50
ID: 1351016

gaghalfrunt said:

It might be an impressive bit of engineering but it makes for a boring Youtube video.

Meth.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 16:07:54
ID: 1351018

roughbarked said:

gaghalfrunt said:

Meth.

Of course. Its probably legal over there too.
Without it the worlds trucking industry would grind to a halt.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 16:09:40
ID: 1351020

gaghalfrunt said:

roughbarked said:

gaghalfrunt said:

Meth.

Of course. Its probably legal over there too.
Without it the worlds trucking industry would grind to a halt.

Since you are here, could you give me a description of what was in the stuff the truckies called “rocket fuel”?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 16:12:11
ID: 1351021

gaghalfrunt said:

Yes.
No, I skipped the middle bit.
There are various bells and whistles.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 16:15:24
ID: 1351022

gaghalfrunt said:

Impressive engineering always keeps me awake. Particularly when either the white lines cross or the roadworks flip upside dow. At these points one needs to pull over. and have a coffee, walk around a bit to get back to earth or snuggle up for a bit of kip.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 16:20:35
ID: 1351024

roughbarked said:

gaghalfrunt said:

Impressive engineering always keeps me awake. Particularly when either the white lines cross or the roadworks flip upside dow. At these points one needs to pull over. and have a coffee, walk around a bit to get back to earth or snuggle up for a bit of kip.

Apart from the one time I said, which could have been what my brain thought it said,said, “it is only two minutes to breakfast, I can coast behind this truck to there”. Unfortunately my consciousness asked why are we going through this rusty zincalume and into this person’s garden?
Which is actually where I ended up.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 16:20:39
ID: 1351025

gaghalfrunt said:

Was this the slow train, the goods train, travelling at only 160 km/hr?
The passenger train travels through the tunnel at 250 km/hr, which is fast enough to keep anyone awake.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 18:48:37
ID: 1351063

mollwollfumble said:

gaghalfrunt said:

Was this the slow train, the goods train, travelling at only 160 km/hr?
The passenger train travels through the tunnel at 250 km/hr, which is fast enough to keep anyone awake.

Is that why you can’t sleep when flying?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 21:55:12
ID: 1351101

>Did anyone really watch the whole 23 minutes ?

I watched it all the way through, then rewound it and watched it again.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 22:21:05
ID: 1351109

Bubblecar said:

I was completely, totally and utterly bored after a couple of minutes, but fast forwarded to the couple of “stations” that appeared.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 22:28:07
ID: 1351113

Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

I was completely, totally and utterly bored after a couple of minutes, but fast forwarded to the couple of “stations” that appeared.

I was completely, totally and utterly bored after a few minutes.

But I watched more than an hour of the ryugu landing video straight through, this morning.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 22:35:25
ID: 1351120

mollwollfumble said:

Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

I was completely, totally and utterly bored after a few minutes.

But I watched more than an hour of the ryugu landing video straight through, this morning.

Yeah, but that’s exciting new science. (I didn’t watch it BTW. Instead, I read your comments.)

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2019 23:10:28
ID: 1351138

Bubblecar said:

I watched it all. didn’t find it satisfying. I prefer more tunnels and more not tunnels.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2019 22:36:05
ID: 1351530

sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Pretty non eventful.

It has that modern look which suggests if anything went wrong, one would be calling for International Rescue.

Reply Quote