Date: 18/04/2019 19:02:45
ID: 1376829
Subject: why does compost burn?

ID: 1376792
Subject: re: April Chat 2019

Cymek said:

roughbarked said: Tau.Neutrino said: Can superbugs and bacteria mutate that can then run at higher temperatures causing combustion of other material? You are asking me? We only know what superbugs can do, well after they have done something. However, this fire would be unlikely to have been done by collusion amongst superbugs. I’ve been making compost since I could walk and the only fire I’ve ever seen in a compost heap was that caused by mrs rb tossing the ashes from the fire on an open heap without sprinkling it with water. Busy lass, often rushing too fast to think. It is weird I’veI had huge piles of grass and I’ve seen them smoking and they are quite hot to touch but this is only a small black compost bin from Bunnings

roughbarked said:

roughbarked said: Cymek said: It is weird I’veI had huge piles of grass and I’ve seen them smoking and they are quite hot to touch but this is only a small black compost bin from Bunnings I’d need to knnow what you were putting in it, whether you also added water or not and etcetera. I could suggest though that such bins work better in the shade of a tree. eg; if the bin wasn’t flat on the ground but was also moist and in the sun, air could possibly have fed a spontaneous combustion event..? http://compost.css.cornell.edu/physics.html

Cymek said:

roughbarked said: Cymek said: Mostly grass, some straw, rabbit poo, possible vegetable scraps and I water it once a week, haven’t done it in a while and I hardly ever turn it. It’s not in full sun either half in the shade Rabbit poo include paper? Some maybe, I usually take it out though

roughbarked said:

Cymek said: roughbarked said: Paper should be OK as long as it isn’t excessive in the mix. I’ll look when I get home What Causes Overheated Compost Piles To Catch Fire? A rare combination of events can cause a compost pile to catch fire. These all must be met before the occasion arises. The first is dry, unattended material with pockets of debris mixed throughout that aren’t uniform. Next, the pile must be large and insulated with limited air flow. And, finally, improper moisture distribution throughout the pile. Only the largest piles, like those in commercial composting operations, are really in any danger if they are mismanaged. Key to preventing any issues is proper maintenance of your organic matter to prevent hot compost bins or piles. Read more at Gardening Know How: My Compost Is Too Hot: What To Do About Overheated Compost Piles https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/basics/overheated-compost-piles.htm

roughbarked said:

Tau.Neutrino said: roughbarked said: Could be should be would be, if only. I’ve never actually purchased or even manufactured a tumbler. In my early years living in a farmhouse with mrs rb, I was out of work because nobody wanted a watchmaker who lived in the widerness. I had part time work snigging out bins of rice from the harvest but work could not start until the moisture content of the rice was right, each day. So I’d fork all my compost over until the call came to jump on a tractor. Ten to fourteen days and my compost was rich friable eat your dinner off it clean and nutritious. 200 litre drum, cut door, fit hinges > mount on frame etc It isn’t difficult. I happen to be a watchmaker who can weld stuff from heavy steel down to very thin gold. but hey, Composting is similar to fuelling a wood stove. Warms you thrice. Exercise isn’t to be sneered at.
Reply Quote

Date: 18/04/2019 19:03:41
ID: 1376831
Subject: re: why does compost burn?

life multiplying produces heat.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/04/2019 19:06:05
ID: 1376834

JudgeMental said:

That’s why both my kids were concieved on the same day two years apart in the middle of July.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/04/2019 19:08:31
ID: 1376839

roughbarked said:

JudgeMental said:

That’s why both my kids were concieved on the same day two years apart in the middle of July.

i before e after c equals some kind of con.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2019 00:29:38
ID: 1377010

They would be a spectrum of bugs and bacteria that make heat, some lower some higher.

Maybe there are self combusting bugs?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/04/2019 05:59:11
ID: 1377053

Tau.Neutrino said:

They would be a spectrum of bugs and bacteria that make heat, some lower some higher.

Maybe there are self combusting bugs?

The Bombardier Beetle

Reply Quote

Date: 23/04/2019 11:07:34
ID: 1378682

Could it be combusting through an oxidisation process, like how coal can spontaneously combust?

The heat of bacterial decomposition drives off moisture and the surrounding compost acts as insulation. Various gasses are produced during the compost cycle.

It doesn’t seem unlikely that a compost heap could self ignite in the right conditions.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/04/2019 11:12:29
ID: 1378683

Lary said:

Could it be combusting through an oxidisation process, like how coal can spontaneously combust?

The heat of bacterial decomposition drives off moisture and the surrounding compost acts as insulation. Various gasses are produced during the compost cycle.

It doesn’t seem unlikely that a compost heap could self ignite in the right conditions.

The right conditions happen to be all wrong for proper composting.

Reply Quote