Date: 19/08/2019 21:39:59
ID: 1424996
Subject: Thread from chat

This discussion looks interesting. What’s it about? How did it start?

Bubblecar said:

Arts said:

surely they have a very different concept of time than we do.. if they have a concept of time at all…
if we lived for 200 years, our concept of time and what we think about would also be different.

When we lived for average shorter lifespans our concept of what time is was different. (eg younger giving birth, working, our commitment to education etc)
The would certainly have a cyclic sense of time. When to swim here for this and there for that. They spend all their lives in the Arctic and sub-Arctic but do migrate from region to region therein at different times of year.

Arts said:

Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:
The would certainly have a cyclic sense of time. When to swim here for this and there for that. They spend all their lives in the Arctic and sub-Arctic but do migrate from region to region therein at different times of year.
+ y

certainly? my first sentence said ‘very different concept of time’

it’s an interesting Q, you know like would the basics of the human concept of time be the same if humans lived 3 x as long. Assuming same brain, childhood development the same length, (slowed ageing though thereafter, just to make the proposition marginally conceptualizable) i’d expect it would be fairly much the same, or substantially similar.

i’d expect the experience of time, the feel, for a mature human, for a conscious human (to generalize for a moment), is greatly different to all other animal species

the reason I say that is humans have a very active sense of displacement, regard the work of their minds (thoughts about thinking, if you like). Simplified – thought A displaced B, C, D, sort of thing. Feeling A displaced B, C, D. Action A displaced B, C,D. Awarenesses from, sort of a flipside psychological shadow world.

what is, contrasted with else, the latter’s the foundations of possibility space and accompanies what is, which strongly influences the feeling or sense of time passing, a sort of thermodynamic wonder power. Magic

Reply Quote

Date: 19/08/2019 21:50:30
ID: 1425003
Subject: re: Thread from chat

Humans spend much of their lives anticipating death. I’d suggest that the more intelligent and imaginative you are, the more that death comes to dominate your life from middle age onwards.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 07:57:41
ID: 1425077

Upon contemplating the phenomenon of time seeming to go faster as we age,
I came to view the individual’s concept time as a pie chart:

A year seems to drag on forever when you’re 5 yo. since it’s 1/5th of your life.
(I’m sure you already see where this is going)
By the time you’re 64, 1/64th of your life whizzes by in a virtual blink of an eye.

btw
You prolly wouldn’t find 1/64th of any pie, no matter how rich, very satisfying.
odds are you’d be wanting more…even so with time…

by the time you’re 100, you’d be afraid to close your eyes at night to sleep…
like the old chestnut about “being so old you don’t even buy green bananas!”

.: rim-shot :.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 08:11:01
ID: 1425080

I came to the same conclusion about 45 years ago, Ogmog. And it still seems to be true.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 08:31:06
ID: 1425081

Michael V said:

I came to the same conclusion about 45 years ago, Ogmog. And it still seems to be true.

45 years ago?

Seems like yesterday.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 08:33:53
ID: 1425082

Michael V said:

Time passing has, for me, two different speeds. When home waiting to go to Cairns for treatment time passes quickly. When in Cairns being treated time drags slowly by.
As for death. I have a reason for thinking about it. Every month it is possible for my haematologist to tell me that the treatment is no longer effective and that I have only a short time to live. The treatment is fairly new and there is very little long term data as yet.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 08:56:33
ID: 1425083

Morning punters and correctors.
Cool but fine, no rain.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 08:56:50
ID: 1425084

The Rev Dodgson said:

Michael V said:

45 years ago?

Seems like yesterday.

LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 09:28:31
ID: 1425085

Time keeps on slippin’, slippin’, slippin’ into the future…

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 09:33:48
ID: 1425087

JudgeMental said:

Time keeps on slippin’, slippin’, slippin’ into the future…

See what’s become of me.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 09:44:56
ID: 1425089

I quite like these ideas.

“There is little justification for taxpayers subsidising inheritances. Policy changes could help.

We recommend a higher tax on super bequests paid to non-dependents to better capture the value of the super tax breaks that are passed on rather than used for retirement. The cap on post-tax super contributions should also be lowered, to limit the re-contribution strategies.

The age pension assets test should include part of the value of the family home, perhaps the part above $500,000. Seniors with higher value properties should be allowed to borrow against their home using the Pension Loans Scheme.

This would give them the ability to stay in their home but would mean that some of the wealth that would otherwise be passed to heirs (most likely in their 50s) would instead be used to fund them, taking pressure off the pension.”

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-20/inheritances-as-we-know-them-are-broken/11429540

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 09:56:20
ID: 1425093

> The would certainly have a cyclic sense of time. When to swim here for this and there for that. They spend all their lives in the Arctic and sub-Arctic but do migrate from region to region therein at different times of year.

Whales?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:01:48
ID: 1425096

“Thread from chat” is not a suitable Subject line for a thread about Animals’ experience of time.

Poor foruming, 1.5 stars.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:02:56
ID: 1425097

Michael V said:

“There is little justification for taxpayers subsidising inheritances. Policy changes could help.

We recommend a higher tax on super bequests paid to non-dependents to better capture the value of the super tax breaks that are passed on rather than used for retirement. The cap on post-tax super contributions should also be lowered, to limit the re-contribution strategies.

The age pension assets test should include part of the value of the family home, perhaps the part above $500,000. Seniors with higher value properties should be allowed to borrow against their home using the Pension Loans Scheme.

This would give them the ability to stay in their home but would mean that some of the wealth that would otherwise be passed to heirs (most likely in their 50s) would instead be used to fund them, taking pressure off the pension.”

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-20/inheritances-as-we-know-them-are-broken/11429540

fair

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:15:36
ID: 1425100

dv said:

Michael V said:

fair

Or instead of convoluted schemes that will inevitably have unintended consequences why not just tax inherited wealth?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:19:42
ID: 1425102

The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

Michael V said:

fair

Or instead of convoluted schemes that will inevitably have unintended consequences why not just tax inherited wealth?

Is it sorry we don’t have the money anymore to fund pensions, we policy makers and politicians will be sweet, but stuff the rest of you

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:21:43
ID: 1425103

The working class can kiss my arse.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:22:19
ID: 1425105

dv said:

Michael V said:

fair

Not sure about the $500,000 part.
That money in Sydney gets toy a hovel. In the bush it gets you a palace & 500 acres.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:22:22
ID: 1425107

>There is little justification for taxpayers subsidising inheritances.

excepting the marginalized fact there, that it is almost by definition the purpose of culture, culture is what you inherit, its purpose is to outlive individuals, it preserves inheritances, including wealth.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:25:24
ID: 1425110

mollwollfumble said:

> The would certainly have a cyclic sense of time. When to swim here for this and there for that. They spend all their lives in the Arctic and sub-Arctic but do migrate from region to region therein at different times of year.

Whales?

Bowhead whales.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:27:03
ID: 1425112

transition said:

excepting the marginalized fact there, that it is almost by definition the purpose of culture, culture is what you inherit, its purpose is to outlive individuals, it preserves inheritances, including wealth.

you inherited the ABC, for example, courtesy taxes

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:32:28
ID: 1425121

transition said:

Some cultures preserve destructive religious memes including paedophile priests.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:34:56
ID: 1425126

Tau.Neutrino said:

transition said:

Some cultures preserve destructive religious memes including paedophile priests.

Culture is adaptive or should be and many traditions are outdated or stupid or both and should be gotten rid of

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:35:13
ID: 1425128

Heh, smbc have published a cartoon that appears to be a response to my question on what bowhead whales think about

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:36:29
ID: 1425129

Tau.Neutrino said:

transition said:

you just dropped your pants and did a dirty big turd in the thread, save furthering the wandering, loose, wayward associations, i’ll ignore it, and go do some jobs

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:37:04
ID: 1425131

dv said:

Heh, smbc have published a cartoon that appears to be a response to my question on what bowhead whales think about

That seems to have been prompted by Boris tho.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:37:29
ID: 1425133

dv said:

That’s quite amusing :)

(in a disturbing sort of way)

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:38:13
ID: 1425136

Cymek said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

transition said:

Culture is adaptive or should be and many traditions are outdated or stupid or both and should be gotten rid of

Culture can be adaptive.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:39:22
ID: 1425138

sarahs mum said:

dv said:

I’ll make sure he is duly credited

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:40:32
ID: 1425141

dv said:

I actually posted that response, what is it like to be a bat. it is a philosophical question. wiki it.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:41:55
ID: 1425143

dv said:

sarahs mum said:

dv said:

I’ll make sure he is duly credited

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Is_it_Like_to_Be_a_Bat%3F

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:42:18
ID: 1425144

JudgeMental said:

dv said:

I actually posted that response, what is it like to be a bat. it is a philosophical question. wiki it.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:42:40
ID: 1425145

JudgeMental said:

dv said:

No-one reads your posts.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:43:20
ID: 1425146

dv said:

JudgeMental said:

dv said:

dowsing with a bat????

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:43:45
ID: 1425148

dv said:

JudgeMental said:

dv said:

Ha! A bent-wing bat.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:44:44
ID: 1425150

sibeen said:

JudgeMental said:

dv said:

No-one reads your posts.

good. i’d hate all the attention and adoration my intelligent posts would elicit.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:45:03
ID: 1425151

JudgeMental said:

dv said:

JudgeMental said:

dowsing with a bat????

:-)

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:45:15
ID: 1425152

sibeen said:

JudgeMental said:

dv said:

No-one reads your posts.

I do.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:45:15
ID: 1425153

transition said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

transition said:

you just dropped your pants and did a dirty big turd in the thread, save furthering the wandering, loose, wayward associations, i’ll ignore it, and go do some jobs

I keep my pants on while I read the news. I’m just having a coffee and reflecting on the past.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:45:55
ID: 1425154

JudgeMental said:

dv said:

Bats also have emotions as shown by them hanging off your arm & purring.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:47:02
ID: 1425155

dv said:

JudgeMental said:

dv said:

Plastic handle ?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:48:18
ID: 1425159

Tau.Neutrino said:

dv said:

JudgeMental said:

Plastic handle ?

It’s in pommie land. Far too easy to find water there.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:50:28
ID: 1425165

Remember that aluminium bat that Lillee was using?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:51:17
ID: 1425169

dv said:

I do, cant remember it’s name though.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:52:05
ID: 1425171

Peak Warming Man said:

dv said:

You can call it Al.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:52:10
ID: 1425172

dv said:

It was banned wasn’t it? Sounded horrible when he hit a ball with it.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:52:43
ID: 1425174

Peak Warming Man said:

dv said:

Titanium handles might be better than plastic ones.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:54:20
ID: 1425179

Peak Warming Man said:

dv said:

Lucille

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:54:52
ID: 1425180

Tau.Neutrino said:

Peak Warming Man said:

dv said:

Titanium handles might be better than plastic ones.

I think he was promoting it so kids could afford a much cheaper bat.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 10:56:21
ID: 1425184

According to WP it was called the ComBat and there were complaints about it damaging the ball

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 11:49:23
ID: 1425228

China’s ‘participatory authoritarianism’ plans to boot out bad personal behaviour in a few clicks
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-20/beijing-given-vote-to-decide-on-uncivilised-behaviour/11427054

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 11:52:32
ID: 1425229

Tau.Neutrino said:

China’s ‘participatory authoritarianism’ plans to boot out bad personal behaviour in a few clicks
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-20/beijing-given-vote-to-decide-on-uncivilised-behaviour/11427054

Discouraged ‘uncivilised behaviour’

Spitting, not using toilets, or throwing litter
Not classifying waste
Walking dogs without a leash, not picking up their faeces, or rearing large or strong dogs illegally
Burning paper money on the street or roadside
Storing personal items in communal corridors
Smoking in public places where smoking is prohibited
Disobeying traffic rules as a pedestrian or in vehicles other than cars
Cutting lines, stealing someone’s seat, or shouting loudly on public transport
Being loud while watching sports or arts performances, or littering at performance venues
Square dancing that disturb others
Throwing things from the upper floors of a building
Parking share bikes messily after using them
Graffiti, or scrawling over small advertisements
Trampling over flowers and plants, destroying greenery, and damaging public property
Exposing your upper body, damaging the appearance of a city
Using rude or coarse language, spreading bad taste, and feudal superstition online
Wasting food in restaurants
Using fireworks or firecrackers in violation of bans

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 11:53:03
ID: 1425230

Tau.Neutrino said:

I wonder if it includes running people over in tanks

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 11:56:02
ID: 1425232

Cymek said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

That’s bad behaviour, it should be added to the list.

Religious insults is bad behaviour that can be added too.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 11:57:12
ID: 1425233

Tau.Neutrino said:

Cymek said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

That’s bad behaviour, it should be added to the list.

Religious insults is bad behaviour that can be added too.

Alan Jones insult can be added to the list.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 12:12:45
ID: 1425236

Tau.Neutrino said:

quite a good read that, highlights the/ir methods of behavior controls, outside an egalitarian ethic, while pretending to be egalitarian, which is instructive regard our own (free ways) informal behavior controls

when discretion fades in Australia, and it rains expiation notices, or the threat of, you’ll be able to look back on the lesson of China, at the discretion that became litter, and joy at how tidy everything is, even your thoughts

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 12:45:15
ID: 1425260

Foreign Agents and Terrorists: How China Is Framing Hong Kong’s Protests
https://www.nytimes.com/video/world/asia/100000006660097/foreign-agents-and-terrorists-how-china-is-framing-hong-kongs-protests.html

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 12:49:21
ID: 1425262

Tau.Neutrino said:

https://www.nytimes.com/video/world/asia/100000006660097/foreign-agents-and-terrorists-how-china-is-framing-hong-kongs-protests.html

Retraining the protestors?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 12:50:13
ID: 1425263

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

I mean

Will they retrain the protestors ?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 13:05:10
ID: 1425269

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

I mean

Harvest organs and then bury them somewhere

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 13:07:09
ID: 1425273

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

I mean

Yes. They’ll be retrained as landfill.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 13:12:44
ID: 1425274

fairly sure thinking about thinking (unique to consciousness) influences sense of time, the feel of it

it comes with tricks, like you can merge (parts, or aspects of) two structures (say information, for starters) that previously through time were isolated, often by space, of cognitive tools (faculties) it’d be more domains maybe

so you sort of get additive or composite products (+ potentials), and understanding that comes with awareness of displacement

other animals probably ‘think’ more like people do in an emergency, there’s less (or no) deliberation, no mediation, indicated by an inner voice. Same or similar when you’re half asleep and wander into the kitchen, into the fridge, you can eat and apparently not think at all

drugs effect sense of time, probably in great part their attraction, reduce inhibitory mediation also

or sex, going to more the work of instincts, the conclusional highlights of sex aren’t greatly mediated

a sense of time (the displacement aspects) for humans is burdensome

i’d expect one of the accidental (happened upon) outcomes/features of the evolved mind is ways to make being around for a long time more tolerable, even enjoyable if you can manage it, a demanding, perhaps continuous task requiring some creativity for a conscious creature

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 13:20:29
ID: 1425278

captain_spalding said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

I mean

The Chinese are clever

They get rid of protestors, criminals, religious people and troublemakers.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 13:21:44
ID: 1425280

School imposes time on children fairly abruptly.

Before the school years, time is something for the grownups to worry about. The child might be shepherded about but can enjoy the unfolding world without having to take responsibility for the passage of time.

School changes that. Conforming to time constraints increasingly becomes your own responsibility.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 13:23:09
ID: 1425282

Tau.Neutrino said:

captain_spalding said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

I mean

The Chinese are clever

I wonder if the various communist nations look at their nation and think yes we achieved what we wanted and got rid of those despots who ruled with an iron fist and used the people as fodder.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 13:26:20
ID: 1425286

Cymek said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

captain_spalding said:

The Chinese are clever

I wonder if the various communist nations look at their nation and think yes we achieved what we wanted and got rid of those despots who ruled with an iron fist and used the people as fodder.

More likely they congratulate themselves on how much more efficient they are at crushing any notions of individual freedom.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 13:28:01
ID: 1425287

Bubblecar said:

Cymek said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

The Chinese are clever

More likely they congratulate themselves on how much more efficient they are at crushing any notions of individual freedom.

Yeah exactly became worse than what they set out to get rid of

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 13:28:47
ID: 1425288

Cymek said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

captain_spalding said:

The Chinese are clever

Yes, but I think its something deeper, like some sort of genetic generational inception.

Like a movie about one person controlling billions then someone else does the same thing.

And they keep doing that.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 13:30:24
ID: 1425290

Sometimes it’s hard to distinguish who those people really are; some genuinely believe that their system is better and needs to be imposed on everyone. Others are simply in it for the power / wealth & don’t care who they smash to achieve their goals.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 13:30:30
ID: 1425291

Cymek said:

Bubblecar said:

Cymek said:

Yeah exactly became worse than what they set out to get rid of

The Chinese are becoming Borg without even realising it.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 13:31:31
ID: 1425292

Tau.Neutrino said:

Cymek said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

The Chinese are clever

Yes, but I think its something deeper, like some sort of genetic generational inception.

Like a movie about one person controlling billions then someone else does the same thing.

Like that old joke: Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it is the other way around.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 13:34:16
ID: 1425295

Obviousman said:

Sometimes it’s hard to distinguish who those people really are; some genuinely believe that their system is better and needs to be imposed on everyone. Others are simply in it for the power / wealth & don’t care who they smash to achieve their goals.

I suppose if you crave power you are the wrong person for the job, even some power corrupts or attracts the corruptible

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 13:35:48
ID: 1425296

Obviousman said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Cymek said:

Like that old joke: Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it is the other way around.

Capitalism you have more freedom so authorities find sneakier ways to exploit you, communists don’t care so are perhaps much more obvious about it.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 13:39:01
ID: 1425298

Tau.Neutrino said:

captain_spalding said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

I mean

The Chinese are clever

If there were right wing nutters and Nazis running around the Chinese would get rid of them as well.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 13:45:40
ID: 1425300

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

captain_spalding said:

The Chinese are clever

If there were right wing nutters and Nazis running around the Chinese would get rid of them as well.

The Chinese government are right wing nutters.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 15:11:03
ID: 1425321

dv said:

“Thread from chat” is not a suitable Subject line for a thread about Animals’ experience of time.

Poor foruming, 1.5 stars.

No option. Computer freezing so i coudn’t scroll back to find the start of the discussion.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/08/2019 15:23:38
ID: 1425332

Obviousman said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Cymek said:

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 21/08/2019 17:49:16
ID: 1425679

Tau.Neutrino said:

captain_spalding said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

I mean

The Chinese are clever

‘Real Bodies: The Exhibition’, controversy about ‘disturbing’ origins of corpses

Reply Quote

Date: 21/08/2019 17:54:22
ID: 1425680

Ogmog said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

captain_spalding said:

The Chinese are clever

‘Real Bodies: The Exhibition’, controversy about ‘disturbing’ origins of corpses

that was pretty interesting news last year

Reply Quote

Date: 21/08/2019 18:08:03
ID: 1425682

dv said:

Ah, bowhead whales, at last we find out.

If you read the Animorph books (based on the tv series) they give a remarkably good rendition of what it’s like mentally to think like all those animals they change into – shrew, red-tailed hawk, dolphin, gorilla etc.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/08/2019 18:16:34
ID: 1425684

Tamb said:

dv said:

They tried using Aluminium bats in pro baseball for a while
because fans were in danger of being injured by bits of bats
due to wooden bats shattering upon contact with the ball, but
not only did the fans object to the PING of the bat instead of
the familiar (and beloved) CRACK associated with “A Homer”
but the resultant “BUZZ” & STING was also proving injurious to
the Batsman’s hand and forearms to the point that the batsmen
almost DREADED the Bat coming in full contact with the Ball! D-x

side note: Aluminium bats are still used in school athletic venues to
prevent the possibility of becoming impaled by bits of shattered bat.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/08/2019 18:43:50
ID: 1425696

Ogmog said:

Tamb said:

dv said:

They tried using Aluminium bats in pro baseball for a while
because fans were in danger of being injured by bits of bats
due to wooden bats shattering upon contact with the ball, but
not only did the fans object to the PING of the bat instead of
the familiar (and beloved) CRACK associated with “A Homer”
but the resultant “BUZZ” & STING was also proving injurious to
the Batsman’s hand and forearms to the point that the batsmen
almost DREADED the Bat coming in full contact with the Ball! D-x

side note: Aluminium bats are still used in school athletic venues to
prevent the possibility of becoming impaled by bits of shattered bat.

And cost. AL bats don’t break.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/08/2019 19:42:25
ID: 1425746

mollwollfumble said:

dv said:

Ah, bowhead whales, at last we find out.

If you read the Animorph books (based on the tv series) they give a remarkably good rendition of what it’s like mentally to think like all those animals they change into – shrew, red-tailed hawk, dolphin, gorilla etc.

A bowhead whale would have an excellent sense of smell. So most of it’s thoughts would be smell related, such as “someone’s set up an illegal tannery in that river that i’ve just passed 20 km off the coast” or “dang these lower pollution levels, now i can’t tell one river from the next” or “oh oh, orca pack feeding ahead”.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/08/2019 19:48:01
ID: 1425750

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19211-how-does-a-bowhead-whale-smell-quite-well-actually/

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2019 05:34:23
ID: 1426841

>Before the school years, time is something for the grownups to worry about. The child might be shepherded about but can enjoy the unfolding world without having to take responsibility for the passage of time.

imagines school setting

looks at clock …..ten minutes to lunch

looks a clock…….half our to hometime

hears bell

you very much learn you’ve got to do this to get that, the territory of instrumental desires, well that’s the idea, amongst it all are the tools of The Lie, the fact teach knows more about how minds ought work than do work, and the masters of ought conspire.

Reply Quote