Date: 23/08/2019 02:01:38
ID: 1426347
Subject: Modal time theory:...

Modal time theory: Understanding human existence through time travel and music

Time is a fundamental dimension of human existence and comes in many forms. Using a comparative approach, philosopher and physicist Norman Sieroka looks at what distinguishes them, using time travel and music.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2019 09:32:59
ID: 1426373
Subject: re: Modal time theory:...

Tau.Neutrino said:

Time is a fundamental dimension of human existence and comes in many forms. Using a comparative approach, philosopher and physicist Norman Sieroka looks at what distinguishes them, using time travel and music.

more…

I don’t get why the time travel so called paradox thing is seen as a real problem.

Either time travel is possible or it isn’t.
If it isn’t there is no possible paradox.
If it is, either the past is fixed or it isn’t.
If it is fixed, you can’t prevent your parents from conceiving you, because that is what happened, and it is fixed. So no paradox.
If it isn’t fixed then there must be multiple timelines, in some of which your parents did not conceive you. So no paradox.

Seems pretty straightforward and non-paradoxical to me.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2019 13:09:43
ID: 1426433

The Rev Dodgson said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

more…

I don’t get why the time travel so called paradox thing is seen as a real problem.

If it is fixed, you can’t prevent your parents from conceiving you, because that is what happened, and it is fixed. So no paradox.
If it isn’t fixed then there must be multiple timelines, in some of which your parents did not conceive you. So no paradox.

rest easy, for you and me that is what time does, thermodynamics in fact, so you can go back, meddling, interfering

(some) people get bored, they’d like time (the past) to yield to the work of their minds, but fortunately it becomes largely invisible, subject to the forgetory, the obliviator

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2019 13:10:36
ID: 1426434

transition said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

more…

rest easy, for you and me that is what time does, thermodynamics in fact, so you can go back, meddling, interfering

(some) people get bored, they’d like time (the past) to yield to the work of their minds, but fortunately it becomes largely invisible, subject to the forgetory, the obliviator

make that can’t go back

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2019 13:27:34
ID: 1426443

transition said:

transition said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

make that can’t go back

Well we don’t actually know that it is impossible.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2019 14:24:40
ID: 1426462

The Rev Dodgson said:

transition said:

transition said:

make that can’t go back

Well we don’t actually know that it is impossible.

I haven’t seen any evidence, that it’s been done, or’s likely possible

not sure what a we might do, or could do, powers multiplied

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2019 15:01:12
ID: 1426483

Some thoughts.

Doesn’t time slow down around a black hole?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole

To a distant observer, clocks near a black hole would appear to tick more slowly than those further away from the black hole. Due to this effect, known as gravitational time dilation, an object falling into a black hole appears to slow as it approaches the event horizon, taking an infinite time to reach it.

Im not quite sure of gravitational time dilation but I think time behaves differently at different scales, Mollwollfumble would know.

Time behaviour around the whole universe.

Time behaviour around a large BH.

Time behaviour at the atomic level.

Time behaviour at the quantum level.

The quantum level is different to the atomic level, our level (BHs ,stars & planets) is different to the atomic level, the next level up is the large scale structure of the universe, the next level up again is the whole universe.

The spooky interaction of things at a distance is a property of the quantum world.

see

Einstein’s ‘spooky action at a distance spotted in objects almost big enough to see
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/04/einstein-s-spooky-action-distance-spotted-objects-almost-big-enough-see

One of the strangest aspects of quantum physics is entanglement: If you observe a particle in one place, another particle—even one light-years away—will instantly change its properties, as if the two are connected by a mysterious communication channel. Scientists have observed this phenomenon in tiny objects such as atoms and electrons. But in two new studies, researchers report seeing entanglement in devices nearly visible to the naked eye.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2019 15:07:26
ID: 1426491

Time is effected by Gravity at each level or realm. (scale)

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2019 15:22:34
ID: 1426508

>>>Im not quite sure of gravitational time dilation but I think time behaves differently at different scales, Mollwollfumble would know.

I stuffed that up

Im not quite sure of how time behaves at different scales or if its gravitational time dilation at different scales, Mollwollfumble would know.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2019 15:27:10
ID: 1426513

> Mollwollfumble would know.

Ze would?

OK. I’ll think about it. A lot to think about there.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2019 19:15:05
ID: 1426660

mollwollfumble said:

> Mollwollfumble would know.

Ze would?

OK. I’ll think about it. A lot to think about there.

OK. I’ve thought about it.

> False Metaphors

The title of the paper “False Metaphors” neatly sums up its content.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2019 08:56:15
ID: 1426853

The Rev Dodgson said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

more…

A good summary.

Reply Quote