Date: 1/04/2020 02:15:30
ID: 1528958
Subject: South Philippine dwarf kingfisher

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/wildlife/2020/03/this-rare-kingfisher-will-bring-some-colour-to-your-life/

These are the first photographs ever taken of the South Philippine dwarf kingfisher.
Perhaps the most colourful kingfisher on the globe, this bird was first formally described by Johann Jakob von Kaup 172 years ago.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 02:16:48
ID: 1528959
Subject: re: South Philippine dwarf kingfisher

What prevented photography for 172 years ¿

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 02:39:57
ID: 1528960

dv said:

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/wildlife/2020/03/this-rare-kingfisher-will-bring-some-colour-to-your-life/

These are the first photographs ever taken of the South Philippine dwarf kingfisher.
Perhaps the most colourful kingfisher on the globe, this bird was first formally described by Johann Jakob von Kaup 172 years ago.

Absolutely gorgeous.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 02:46:36
ID: 1528962

SCIENCE said:

What prevented photography for 172 years ¿

The extreme rarity and erratic habits of the bird. It has only been sighted a few times.

It has eluded scientists for over a hundred years because of its behavior. It is difficult to see as it perches quietly and darts invisibly from perch to perch.

But thanks to Miguel David De Leon, a Filipino field biologist and director of the Robert S. Kennedy Bird Conservancy, we get a glimpse of the beautiful bird that is sadly threatened with extinction.

De Leon has been a field biologist for ten years in the Philippines and this is his first sighting of the critter.

I erred before I saying it was Kaup who discovered this bird 172 years ago. Kaup discovered Ceyx melanurus.

The Southern Philippines dwarf kingfisher, Ceyx mindanensis, was discovered by Joseph Beal Steere in 1890. C. mindanesis was previously considered a subspecies of Ceyx melanurus.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 03:04:16
ID: 1528963

Beautiful plumage!

Remarkable bird the South Philippine dwarf Bignose!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 03:14:36
ID: 1528965

PermeateFree said:

dv said:

Absolutely gorgeous.

Concur.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 03:19:30
ID: 1528966

And thanks to this bird, I learned a new word.
Lore:
The region between the eyes and nostrils of birds, reptiles, and amphibians.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 03:29:37
ID: 1528967

For desparate people online.

$19-50 plus free delivery

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10Pc-Disposable-Face-Mask-3-Layer-Masks-Protective-20-Tabs-Panadol-Bundle-Deal-/164143390800

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 03:31:00
ID: 1528968

PermeateFree said:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10Pc-Disposable-Face-Mask-3-Layer-Masks-Protective-20-Tabs-Panadol-Bundle-Deal-/164143390800

Sorry, should be in chat.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 03:32:00
ID: 1528969

PermeateFree said:

Wrong thread -> Chat

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 04:33:31
ID: 1528971

dv said:

Lore:

I learnt that only when in Perth, less than a month ago :-)

Agree, totally gorgeous bignose. May have been photographed before, but …

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 09:49:06
ID: 1529022

mollwollfumble said:

dv said:

Lore:

I learnt that only when in Perth, less than a month ago :-)

Agree, totally gorgeous bignose. May have been photographed before, but …

I can’t remember ever seeing a photograph before this.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 09:57:52
ID: 1529038

A very pretty bird. Yery.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 09:59:07
ID: 1529040

Michael V said:

A very pretty bird. Yery.

Definitely not fit for being a cage bird though.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 10:07:31
ID: 1529046

mollwollfumble said:

. May have been photographed before, but …

Okay so what are you basing that on?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 10:12:54
ID: 1529050

dv said:

mollwollfumble said:

Not accepting the story as fact?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 10:15:12
ID: 1529053

roughbarked said:

dv said:

mollwollfumble said:

Yes, what are you basing that on?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 10:20:55
ID: 1529060

dv said:

roughbarked said:

dv said:

Yes, what are you basing that on?

We’ll have to wait for his answer I suppose.
Looked through my backyard avian photos and it wasn’t there.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 11:34:33
ID: 1529141

dv said:

mollwollfumble said:

Cameras were invented a long time ago. Have even been in the Philippines for a very long time. And, given the propensity of humans to photograph everything that moves, the probability that a particular species in the Philippines has been photographed is calculable.

Only a tiny percentage of all photographs are on the web and in glossies. eg. you won’t find my photo of a Jamaican mongoose on the web.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 11:38:56
ID: 1529147

mollwollfumble said:

dv said:

mollwollfumble said:

Cameras were invented a long time ago. Have even been in the Philippines for a very long time. And, given the propensity of humans to photograph everything that moves, the probability that a particular species in the Philippines has been photographed is calculable.

Only a tiny percentage of all photographs are on the web and in glossies. eg. you won’t find my photo of a Jamaican mongoose on the web.

Wasn’t your photograph goood enough to show to others?

I have countless photos, slides and digital photos that have never been deleted but also have never been shown too anyone. Other than an artist once who was staying with me and I caught him filching slides out of my not for display stuff. His explanation was that though I didn’t think they were good enough, he could see lots of material to work with. He was a surrealist.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 14:38:48
ID: 1529335

mollwollfumble said:

dv said:

mollwollfumble said:

For publication you need to make it educational or a news item. Most of my photographs numbering in their thousands have/are published on the Internet and are viewed by hundreds of people each week. If you just take a photo without relevance, it will only be viewed by the people you show it to, unless someone includes it in the website which has a viewing audience.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2020 14:44:05
ID: 1529341

mollwollfumble said:

There are few of these birds: there are only a few thousand of them. They are small. They are fast and jittery. Hardly anyone has even seen it, let alone been ready to take a picture in the fraction of a second that it is stationary.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/04/2020 15:05:18
ID: 1530074

dv said:

Ian said:

Beautiful plumage!

Remarkable bird the South Philippine dwarf Bignose!

There are few of these birds: there are only a few thousand of them. They are small. They are fast and jittery. Hardly anyone has even seen it, let alone been ready to take a picture in the fraction of a second that it is stationary.

Ah!
Then it also has a silly walk!
Well, that explains it then.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/04/2020 15:59:31
ID: 1530120

roughbarked said:

mollwollfumble said:

dv said:

Wasn’t your photograph goood enough to show to others?

I have countless photos, slides and digital photos that have never been deleted but also have never been shown too anyone. Other than an artist once who was staying with me and I caught him filching slides out of my not for display stuff. His explanation was that though I didn’t think they were good enough, he could see lots of material to work with. He was a surrealist.

S’truth
ya’ never know
what an artist’ll get up to

Reply Quote