Date: 13/06/2021 09:35:27
ID: 1750812
Subject: COVID June 13 to June 19

Let’s start a new one with this:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-13/australia-zero-covid-public-support-for-lockdowns-shifting/100203006

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 09:38:11
ID: 1750813
Subject: re: COVID June 13 to June 19

buffy said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-13/australia-zero-covid-public-support-for-lockdowns-shifting/100203006

Remove “australia” & insert “victoria”

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 09:44:06
ID: 1750814

buffy said:

So, the vax program is basically the stumbling block.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 09:49:24
ID: 1750815

Bogsnorkler said:

buffy said:

So, the vax program is basically the stumbling block.

Apparently.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 09:49:25
ID: 1750816

Tamb said:

buffy said:

I read that link as saying there was zero public support for lockdowns, but I see I was misled.

Isn’t having occasional short-term lockdowns with very few deaths and normal life in between much better than having fewer but much longer lockdowns with large numbers of deaths?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 10:02:40
ID: 1750817

The Rev Dodgson said:

Tamb said:

buffy said:

I read that link as saying there was zero public support for lockdowns, but I see I was misled.

Isn’t having occasional short-term lockdowns with very few deaths and normal life in between much better than having fewer but much longer lockdowns with large numbers of deaths?

clearly not, .se also “treat them mean keep them keen” principle, Trump ans Johnson and Bolsonaro and Lofven and Modi and all manner of other arseholes enjoy greater popularity

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 10:36:05
ID: 1750818

anyway yes it certainly reads like the authors are pining for an overseas holiday without quarantine and hence stealth bombing public opinion with an opinion piece masquerading as an informative article

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 11:09:38
ID: 1750832

From end of previous thread.
Do I have this right? How do they differ, eg. Abdala vs QazVac?

mollwollfumble said:

Let’s see if I have my worldwide list of approved vaccines correct. I count 16 different vaccines being used worldwide.
  • Oxford/AstraZeneca
  • Pfizer/BioNTech
  • Sinopharm/Beijing
  • Sinopharm/Wuhan
  • Sinovac
  • Sputnik V
  • Johnson&Johnson
  • Moderna
  • Covaxin
  • BBIBP-CorV
  • CanSino
  • Abdala
  • Soberana02
  • QazVac
  • EpiVacCorona
  • and whatever North Korea is using.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 11:10:30
ID: 1750833

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/article/covid-victim-photograph-sparks-fascination-and-denial-indonesia

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 11:29:20
ID: 1750835

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

Let’s see if I have my worldwide list of approved vaccines correct. I count 16 different vaccines being used worldwide.
  • Oxford/AstraZeneca
  • Pfizer/BioNTech
  • Sinopharm/Beijing
  • Sinopharm/Wuhan
  • Sinovac
  • Sputnik V
  • Johnson&Johnson
  • Moderna
  • Covaxin
  • BBIBP-CorV
  • CanSino
  • Abdala
  • Soberana02
  • QazVac
  • EpiVacCorona

whatever North Korea is using. Glock.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 11:52:04
ID: 1750837

buffy said:

rolls eyes they near ripped off their optic nerves halfway into that article

no end to the license of spin for the greater good, no guessing who some of the experts regard the greater good are, perhaps everyone could just vote via an online survey, all compare ourselves with each other, get immersed in the radical social constructionism

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 12:12:27
ID: 1750851

transition said:

buffy said:

no end to the license of spin for the greater good, no guessing who some of the experts regard the greater good are, perhaps everyone could just vote via an online survey, all compare ourselves with each other, get immersed in the radical social constructionism

But aside from that…how do we get out of this? Isolation from the world is not really an option. At some time we have to let them in again. And we haven’t got quarantine facilities for the numbers. I really haven’t got any idea if anyone has any plans.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 12:15:35
ID: 1750853

buffy said:

transition said:

buffy said:

But aside from that…how do we get out of this? Isolation from the world is not really an option. At some time we have to let them in again. And we haven’t got quarantine facilities for the numbers. I really haven’t got any idea if anyone has any plans.

what’s wrong with slow, it seems to be working very well, it’s clearly quite evident the world going fast isn’t going to peak gently

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 12:17:49
ID: 1750855

transition said:

buffy said:

transition said:

what’s wrong with slow, it seems to be working very well, it’s clearly quite evident the world going fast isn’t going to peak gently

Are you thinking quarantining everyone who comes into the country? Because we will have to prioritize our own people overseas who want to come back first. And our places in quarantine are very limited. That will take quite some time.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 12:17:50
ID: 1750856

transition said:

buffy said:

transition said:

Ehhh? Why go slow when there is no health risk to going fast re. expanding vaccination?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 12:21:38
ID: 1750857

Witty Rejoinder said:

transition said:

buffy said:

Ehhh? Why go slow when there is no health risk to going fast re. expanding vaccination?

Because, because….control. Political control.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 12:23:29
ID: 1750859

Witty Rejoinder said:

transition said:

buffy said:

there’s not much I can do about the mind virus that dismisses what works extremely well at the moment, the reality is there’s a lot of normal in Australia, continues to be, none of that is thanks to enthusiasm to dismiss that normal, to abnormalize it

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 12:29:17
ID: 1750860

transition said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

transition said:

there’s not much I can do about the mind virus that dismisses what works extremely well at the moment, the reality is there’s a lot of normal in Australia, continues to be, none of that is thanks to enthusiasm to dismiss that normal, to abnormalize it

Riiiggghhhttt…

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 12:29:21
ID: 1750861

buffy said:

transition said:

buffy said:

Are you thinking quarantining everyone who comes into the country? Because we will have to prioritize our own people overseas who want to come back first. And our places in quarantine are very limited. That will take quite some time.

Well I think the plan in Europe is to live with it, the vaccinations have brought the death rate way down particularly in the UK.
I think they’ll treat is like we have treated the flu for ages, just cop the deaths and move on.
It’s a bit like the road toll, we accept the road deaths rather than reduce the speed limit to say 50k where road deaths would plummet but that just aint gunna happen.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 12:31:39
ID: 1750862

buffy said:

transition said:

buffy said:

Vaccine passports for Aussie citizens who want to come home should entail no quarantine when they arrive IMO.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 12:35:17
ID: 1750863

Witty Rejoinder said:

buffy said:

transition said:

Vaccine passports for Aussie citizens who want to come home should entail no quarantine when they arrive IMO.

Are you going to be fussy about which country’s passports to accept?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 12:38:00
ID: 1750864

Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

transition said:

Well I think the plan in Europe is to live with it, the vaccinations have brought the death rate way down particularly in the UK.
I think they’ll treat is like we have treated the flu for ages, just cop the deaths and move on.
It’s a bit like the road toll, we accept the road deaths rather than reduce the speed limit to say 50k where road deaths would plummet but that just aint gunna happen.

There are people who never drive faster than 80kph on the open road.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 12:39:52
ID: 1750866

“Infectivity of asymptomatic versus symptomatic COVID-19”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7836843/#sec1

“Nevertheless, these findings suggest that where resources permit, contact tracing should proactively seek people with asymptomatic COVID-19 because they can transmit disease and will need to be contained if a national policy objective is to minimise cases and transmission. However, if resources are limited, then focusing contact tracing around symptomatic people who are easy to identify (by way of them seeking health care) might be more resource-effective in reducing transmission at the population level.”

“Transmissibility of asymptomatic COVID-19: Data from Japanese clusters”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7894083/

“The relative transmissibility of asymptomatic cases is limited. Observing clusters starting with symptomatic transmission might be sufficient for the control.”

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 12:39:55
ID: 1750867

buffy said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

buffy said:

There are only ten or so vaccines. A system that ties a vaccination certificate to a plane ticket shouldn’t be too hard to administer which should allow travel from any number of countries.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 13:00:56
ID: 1750868

Witty Rejoinder said:

buffy said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

There are only ten or so vaccines. A system that ties a vaccination certificate to a plane ticket shouldn’t be too hard to administer which should allow travel from any number of countries.

We had similar years ago with southern Africa and Yellow Fever. No proof of immunisation, no ticket.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 14:02:21
ID: 1750885

buffy said:

“Infectivity of asymptomatic versus symptomatic COVID-19”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7836843/#sec1

“Nevertheless, these findings suggest that where resources permit, contact tracing should proactively seek people with asymptomatic COVID-19 because they can transmit disease and will need to be contained if a national policy objective is to minimise cases and transmission. However, if resources are limited, then focusing contact tracing around symptomatic people who are easy to identify (by way of them seeking health care) might be more resource-effective in reducing transmission at the population level.”

“Transmissibility of asymptomatic COVID-19: Data from Japanese clusters”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7894083/

“The relative transmissibility of asymptomatic cases is limited. Observing clusters starting with symptomatic transmission might be sufficient for the control.”

gee that’s a difficult one, let’s see where each of those investigations was done, could the purported answers be correlated at all with how each country did, we wonder, but we aren’t making any claim about causation

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 14:04:52
ID: 1750887

Witty Rejoinder said:

buffy said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

more like which vaccine and which strains to accept oh wait because most countries have fucked things up for 15 months now even the “best” vaccines will block 50% of transmission so every returning bioweapon has a50: chance of setting off more outbreaks

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 14:07:04
ID: 1750889

Witty Rejoinder said:

transition said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

Riiiggghhhttt…

you know for all the words counted here

1. transition is really quite to the point here and
  2. if our reading of h’ is correct then really, we agree
  3. id est apart from 2-week tourism, we basically do have the country normal and everything open
Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 14:08:28
ID: 1750890

Witty Rejoinder said:

transition said:

buffy said:

or going fast with just building a few more détention centres, apparently it’s easily done to keep out the Bad Homo sapiens but can’t be done if there’s a virus

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 14:09:03
ID: 1750891

Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

transition said:

be a realistic analogy except for you excluding that people limit the amount of time on the road to reduce the risk, so I could point out most people are not driving most of the time, they don’t drive (or travel) to reduce the risk

one of those things isn’t it, obliterated from our minds, a person might consider driving, or being on the roads, the risks related that, and instantly evaporated from the mind is the reality most people avoid unnecessary time on the road

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 14:11:48
ID: 1750893

SCIENCE said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

buffy said:

more like which vaccine and which strains to accept oh wait because most countries have fucked things up for 15 months now even the “best” vaccines will block 50% of transmission so every returning bioweapon has a50: chance of setting off more outbreaks

Or not.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 14:12:35
ID: 1750895

mollwollfumble said:

• Oxford/AstraZeneca
  • Pfizer/BioNTech
  • Sinopharm/Beijing
  • Sinopharm/Wuhan
  • Sinovac
  • Sputnik V
  • Johnson&Johnson
  • Moderna
  • Covaxin
  • BBIBP-CorV
  • CanSino
  • Abdala
  • Soberana02
  • QazVac
  • EpiVacCorona

simian adenovirus ones cause thrombotic deaths and mRNA lipid vehicle ones cause myocarditic deaths

apart from that they’re essentially the same, by this time next year* they’ll all have <= 25% efficacy

*: at the rate that the world is going with “control”

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 14:13:48
ID: 1750896

Witty Rejoinder said:

SCIENCE said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

Or not.

you’re right, we meant to say more like which vaccine and which strains to accept oh wait because most countries have fucked things up for 15 months now even the “best” vaccines will block 50% of transmission so every returning bioweapon has a 50% chance of setting off more outbreaks

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 14:14:55
ID: 1750897

transition said:

Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

be a realistic analogy except for you excluding that people limit the amount of time on the road to reduce the risk, so I could point out most people are not driving most of the time, they don’t drive (or travel) to reduce the risk

one of those things isn’t it, obliterated from our minds, a person might consider driving, or being on the roads, the risks related that, and instantly evaporated from the mind is the reality most people avoid unnecessary time on the road

again we suspect we agree

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 14:22:26
ID: 1750903

Last night Margaret, who is now living in Kyogle and working in Nimben, contacted me and told me not to get the vaccine because she didn’t want me to die.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 14:25:02
ID: 1750906

sarahs mum said:

Last night Margaret, who is now living in Kyogle and working in Nimben, contacted me and told me not to get the vaccine because she didn’t want me to die.

I missed the “not” in first reading and thought “that’s nice”.

Seems it wasn’t.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 14:25:25
ID: 1750907

SCIENCE said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

SCIENCE said:

Or not.

you’re right, we meant to say more like which vaccine and which strains to accept oh wait because most countries have fucked things up for 15 months now even the “best” vaccines will block 50% of transmission so every returning bioweapon has a 50% chance of setting off more outbreaks

No.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 14:32:09
ID: 1750912

Witty Rejoinder said:

transition said:

buffy said:

consider for a moment, say I characterize the present climate, some forces at work, as having a perverse desire to use the vaccination to let the new coronavirus go wild

there are different categories of disease, of something like influenza that may not matter (that it is largely wild), but if it were hepatitis or something more serious you might think it madness to have a program to let it go wild, an agenda to let it go wild

coronavirus might be largely a respiratory infection, however I think it perverse to automatically equate it with something like influenza

the jury is still out on how to categorize the new coronavirus, its status as a disease after broad vaccination

anyway for the moment i’m of the opinion it’s perverse to use the vaccination as a reason to let coronavirus go wild, and i’m aware Australia is coming up to an election, and how inconvenient for some it is that the present government policies have been very effective

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 14:34:58
ID: 1750913

transition said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

transition said:

consider for a moment, say I characterize the present climate, some forces at work, as having a perverse desire to use the vaccination to let the new coronavirus go wild

there are different categories of disease, of something like influenza that may not matter (that it is largely wild), but if it were hepatitis or something more serious you might think it madness to have a program to let it go wild, an agenda to let it go wild

coronavirus might be largely a respiratory infection, however I think it perverse to automatically equate it with something like influenza

the jury is still out on how to categorize the new coronavirus, its status as a disease after broad vaccination

anyway for the moment i’m of the opinion it’s perverse to use the vaccination as a reason to let coronavirus go wild, and i’m aware Australia is coming up to an election, and how inconvenient for some it is that the present government policies have been very effective

I think the states have done a great job. I am thankful for once that we are a federation.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 14:49:46
ID: 1750918

sarahs mum said:

transition said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

I think the states have done a great job. I am thankful for once that we are a federation.

influenza kills between 300 000 and 650 000 people a year and 3-5 million severe cases per year. this is with a vaccine. we don’t lockdown for the flu every year.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 14:55:30
ID: 1750920

Bogsnorkler said:

sarahs mum said:

transition said:

influenza kills between 300 000 and 650 000 people a year and 3-5 million severe cases per year. this is with a vaccine. we don’t lockdown for the flu every year.

And we probably never look to see how many people get blood clots after the flu jab.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 14:56:29
ID: 1750921

transition said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

transition said:

I never said to let it go wild.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 14:57:14
ID: 1750922

Peak Warming Man said:

Bogsnorkler said:

sarahs mum said:

And we probably never look to see how many people get blood clots after the flu jab.

I think it would have been noticed.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:03:43
ID: 1750930

Bogsnorkler said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Bogsnorkler said:

I think it would have been noticed.

imagine all the killings we’d have from influenza last year

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:05:17
ID: 1750932

Witty Rejoinder said:

SCIENCE said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

Or not.

No.

so you’d accept no vaccines, which we agree with because they don’t adequately prevent transmission

Thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:06:21
ID: 1750933

SCIENCE said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

SCIENCE said:

No.

so you’d accept no vaccines, which we agree with because they don’t adequately prevent transmission

Thanks.

Nup.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:07:11
ID: 1750934

sarahs mum said:

Is Margaret known to you or is she just some random nutter on the net?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:09:47
ID: 1750935

How is efficacy measured, if a vaccine is described as say 70% effective does that mean that 70% of the people who have been vaccinated don’t get the virus or does it mean 70% of the people who have been vaccinated don’t get very sick or die?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:10:44
ID: 1750936

sibeen said:

sarahs mum said:

When I have talked about her to the forum in the past I have referred to her as Margaret the mad. Yeah. I know her. Fruitcake.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:11:42
ID: 1750937

sarahs mum said:

sibeen said:

sarahs mum said:

When I have talked about her to the forum in the past I have referred to her as Margaret the mad. Yeah. I know her. Fruitcake.

Sibeen’s alright.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:16:09
ID: 1750938

Peak Warming Man said:

How is efficacy measured, if a vaccine is described as say 70% effective does that mean that 70% of the people who have been vaccinated don’t get the virus or does it mean 70% of the people who have been vaccinated don’t get very sick or die?

That’s a darn good question. I haven’t seen a good answer, and I’d very much like to see it.

I do know that Uruguay has two different measures of vaccine effectivness rather than just one. One is from the chance of catching the virus with a vaccine vs without a vaccine. The second is from the chance of hospitalisation once you’ve caught the virus, again with and without the vaccine.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:16:37
ID: 1750939

Peak Warming Man said:

sarahs mum said:

sibeen said:

Sibeen’s alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxzvywR6jjs

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:18:11
ID: 1750940

Peak Warming Man said:

back in the day when herd immunity was about vaccine preventable diseases the idea was that it would stop disease spreading

now that flock immunity is about sacrificing everyone else to a disease so that The Economy Must Grow we’re not allowed to talk about herd immunity from vaccines so they’re solely to prevent vaccinated individuals dying

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:18:33
ID: 1750941

Tamb said:

mollwollfumble said:

• Oxford/AstraZeneca
  • Pfizer/BioNTech
  • Sinopharm/Beijing
  • Sinopharm/Wuhan
  • Sinovac
  • Sputnik V
  • Johnson&Johnson
  • Moderna
  • Covaxin
  • BBIBP-CorV
  • CanSino
  • Abdala
  • Soberana02
  • QazVac
  • EpiVacCorona

whatever North Korea is using. Glock.

Are you serious?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:19:21
ID: 1750942

mollwollfumble said:

Peak Warming Man said:

That’s a darn good question. I haven’t seen a good answer, and I’d very much like to see it.

I do know that Uruguay has two different measures of vaccine effectivness rather than just one. One is from the chance of catching the virus with a vaccine vs without a vaccine. The second is from the chance of hospitalisation once you’ve caught the virus, again with and without the vaccine.

oh we mean a serious question, ah, well reading 1 page behind the immediate search results would give plenty of tables where they give numbers for all the above and more

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:21:28
ID: 1750944

Bogsnorkler said:

Peak Warming Man said:

sarahs mum said:

Sibeen’s alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxzvywR6jjs

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:23:08
ID: 1750945

Bogsnorkler said:

sarahs mum said:

transition said:

Not in Australia. Very few influenza deaths in Australia. PS, I lockdown for colds and flu. Covid can go jump.

Very few deaths from any infectious disease in Australia. Other than hospital-acquired infections of course (sepsis and pneumonia). They kill everyone.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:29:57
ID: 1750947

mollwollfumble said:

Bogsnorkler said:

sarahs mum said:

Not in Australia. Very few influenza deaths in Australia. PS, I lockdown for colds and flu. Covid can go jump.

Very few deaths from any infectious disease in Australia. Other than hospital-acquired infections of course (sepsis and pneumonia). They kill everyone.

Indeed, seems like influenza is such a piss weak pathogen (PWP) that simple things like not going to work school care when you’re unwell would fix it for good but somehow The Economy Must Grow overrides that (even though sick people at work are less productive) so clearly advocates for The Economy Must Grow are actually persistently incorrect about these kinds of thing

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:50:01
ID: 1750952

LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:50:46
ID: 1750953

Um…we do understand that being vaccinated doesn’t stop you catching the thing, don’t we? It just primes your immune system to recognize the bug and deal with it a bit faster than if your system is naive to it. So it makes any subsequent infection with that particular bug less intense.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:54:02
ID: 1750955

buffy said:

Um…we do understand that being vaccinated doesn’t stop you catching the thing, don’t we? It just primes your immune system to recognize the bug and deal with it a bit faster than if your system is naive to it. So it makes any subsequent infection with that particular bug less intense.

yes no shit it’s not the only way they work but
we don’t understand that, because that is one of the way vaccines work, by preventing someone from catching a disease

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 15:55:22
ID: 1750957

buffy said:

Yep.
Here is the results of a recent large scale survey done in the UK
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.04.22.21255913v2.full-text
It’s fond that efficacy of Phiser and Astra are pretty much the same., seems very comprehensive.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 16:07:00
ID: 1750958

SCIENCE said:

buffy said:

we don’t understand that, because that is one of the way vaccines work, by preventing someone from catching a disease

Um, no.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 16:53:59
ID: 1750969

Just checked on the UK figures. Daily cases have doubled again from last week from 4000 to 8000. The week before that it was “only” 2000 cases daily.

Seems to be the Indian variant. The UK government decided not to impose travel restrictions on India because Biros was due to go there to meet the Indian PM to talk about trade deals. In the end they ended up doing the meeting remotely anyway, but the India travel bans still had to wait till after that event.

Guess which variant is responsible for the majority of new cases in the UK?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 16:54:15
ID: 1750970

buffy said:

SCIENCE said:

buffy said:

Um, no.

so you claim that vaccination does not prevent disease

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 17:39:19
ID: 1750982

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41577-020-00479-7?s=09

“A guide to vaccinology: from basic principles to new developments”

(It’s up to date, published 22/12/20)

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 17:46:53
ID: 1750983

buffy said:

this part must be out of date then

vaccine-induced protection is the induction of immune memory. Vaccines are usually developed to prevent clinical manifestations of infection. However, some vaccines, in addition to preventing the disease, may also protect against asymptomatic infection or colonization, thereby reducing the acquisition of a pathogen and thus its onward transmission, establishing herd immunity. Indeed, the induction of herd immunity is perhaps the most important characteristic of immunization programmes, with each dose of vaccine protecting many more individuals

thanks

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 17:52:55
ID: 1750984

party_pants said:

SCIENCE said:
SCIENCE said:
SCIENCE said:

oh

Good News, Vaccine Escape Variant Selection In The UK Virology Laboratory Is Almost Complete And Ready For Leakage

UK records highest COVID infections since late February

Good News, Virologists Were Right All Along When They Reassured Us There Would Be No Flock Immunity To Coronaviruses

Just checked on the UK figures. Daily cases have doubled again from last week from 4000 to 8000. The week before that it was “only” 2000 cases daily.

Seems to be the Indian variant. The UK government decided not to impose travel restrictions on India because Biros was due to go there to meet the Indian PM to talk about trade deals. In the end they ended up doing the meeting remotely anyway, but the India travel bans still had to wait till after that event.

At a guess, the one that

1. results in breakthrough symptomatic disease in 50% (versus previous strains >90%) of vaccinated people
  2. results in ongoing transmission in >75% (versus previous strains <25%) of vaccinated people
  3. has increased infectivity in younger age groups (versus previous strains with similar infectivity across all ages) who have / can not be vaccinated as yet
  4. has increased viral load and transmissibility despite non-pharmaceutical interventions (versus previous strains which were easily controlled in .sg and .vn and so forth)
  5. will therefore be able to multiply up under this selection pressure (as it already has), and further mutate to continue to break protections leading to perpandemicity (rather than endemicity)

¿

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 17:54:26
ID: 1750986

anyway don’t worry it’s peaked

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 17:57:52
ID: 1750987

SCIENCE said:

buffy said:

vaccine-induced protection is the induction of immune memory. Vaccines are usually developed to prevent clinical manifestations of infection. However, some vaccines, in addition to preventing the disease, may also protect against asymptomatic infection or colonization, thereby reducing the acquisition of a pathogen and thus its onward transmission, establishing herd immunity. Indeed, the induction of herd immunity is perhaps the most important characteristic of immunization programmes, with each dose of vaccine protecting many more individuals

thanks

The search term you are looking for is “sterilising immunity”. A quick look around the literature suggests none of the current COVID vaccines have been shown to do this. It’s a bit of a holy grail for vaccines.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 18:03:49
ID: 1750989

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-few-vaccines-prevent-infection-heres-why-thats-not-a-problem-152204

A simpler read than the scientific papers.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 18:04:37
ID: 1750991

buffy said:

SCIENCE said:

buffy said:

thanks

The search term you are looking for is “sterilising immunity”. A quick look around the literature suggests none of the current COVID vaccines have been shown to do this. It’s a bit of a holy grail for vaccines.

Fine, we assumed we were talking about vaccines in general but if we’re going to settle for vaccines that don’t work well for COVID-19 then we guess we’ll take the implicit admission that there was never going to be flock immunity to COVID-19.

Id est, it was always a stupid idea to go for natural flock immunity whatever that was even supposed to mean.

Of course before those places continued to fk it up and manufacture / weaponise breakthrough variants, there were claims that mRNA vaccines were achieving 90% prevention of ongoing transmission (does that count as sterilising ¿) but we guess the correct strategy is to let a lethal disease evolve until vaccines don’t work just to prove their position correct.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 18:06:37
ID: 1750993

buffy said:

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-few-vaccines-prevent-infection-heres-why-thats-not-a-problem-152204

A simpler read than the scientific papers.

Yeah well some prévention is probably better than none.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 18:15:28
ID: 1750997

A town in Brazil has vaccinated nearly everyone against covid-19
Its success shows what could have been in the rest of the country

Jun 12th 2021 edition

Before the pandemic, Celso Vigo walked for 90 minutes each day through the streets of Serrana, a town of 45,000 people surrounded by sugarcane fields in the state of São Paulo. But when covid-19 hit, the 75-year-old retired bank clerk, who played football “well into my 60s”, was reduced to doing loops around his house. It reminded him of how Brazil, too, was going in circles. After a second wave killed 87,000 people in April, cases and deaths remain high.

But Serrana was given a way out. Between February and April, all adults were offered jabs as part of a study by the Butantan Institute, which produces CoronaVac, a vaccine developed by Sinovac, a Chinese firm. More than 95% of serranenses got jabbed, despite Jair Bolsonaro, the president, claiming that it was unsafe. Preliminary results released on May 31st showed that symptomatic cases and deaths fell by 80% and 95%, respectively. Only two covid-19 patients remain hospitalised in the local clinic (both refused the vaccine). Mr Vigo is once again pounding the pavements.

Serrana is a tantalising glimpse of an alternative reality in Brazil—one in which Mr Bolsonaro did not squander his chances to mount an effective public-health campaign and, later, to buy vaccines. But the study also has global implications. In phase three trials, CoronaVac had efficacy rates as low as 50%, the minimum required by the who. The lower the efficacy, the higher the share of people who must be jabbed to slow contagion. The trial in Serrana sought to discover that share. The town was split into four cohorts, that got jabbed in successive weeks. Contagion dropped dramatically after three out of the four had received two doses of the vaccine, suggesting that herd immunity is attained at around 75%.

These results could boost vaccine uptake across Brazil, hopes Ethel Maciel, an epidemiologist. But 75% is a long way off. Only 11% of Brazilians are fully vaccinated, and the rate has slowed because of a shortage of ingredients for CoronaVac, which are imported from China. Chile, which has vaccinated 45% of its population, mostly with CoronaVac, is also suffering near-record cases.

But Serrana itself has become an oasis. On a recent morning, children ran round a fountain in the plaza. Across the street a fabric shop that caters to elderly women had a steady stream of customers. A gang of old men occupied their usual benches. They discussed Mr Bolsonaro’s decision to host the Copa América, a football tournament, even though a third wave seems imminent. “Stupid,” a 97-year-old said. Half of them scattered when an outsider showed up. “We’re still scared,” explained Florivaldo Leandro, a retired police officer. Serrana’s calm came at a cost, he said. “We lost friends, neighbours and relatives. Our conscientiousness was forced upon us.”

https://www.economist.com/the-americas/2021/06/12/a-town-in-brazil-has-vaccinated-nearly-everyone-against-covid-19

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 18:22:18
ID: 1750999

SCIENCE said:

buffy said:

SCIENCE said:

thanks

Fine, we assumed we were talking about vaccines in general but if we’re going to settle for vaccines that don’t work well for COVID-19 then we guess we’ll take the implicit admission that there was never going to be flock immunity to COVID-19.

Id est, it was always a stupid idea to go for natural flock immunity whatever that was even supposed to mean.

Of course before those places continued to fk it up and manufacture / weaponise breakthrough variants, there were claims that mRNA vaccines were achieving 90% prevention of ongoing transmission (does that count as sterilising ¿) but we guess the correct strategy is to let a lethal disease evolve until vaccines don’t work just to prove their position correct.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 18:53:12
ID: 1751011

buffy said:

SCIENCE said:

buffy said:

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

correct

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 18:57:21
ID: 1751012

Witty Rejoinder said:

Jun 12th 2021 edition

Serrana was given a way out. Between February and April, all adults were offered jabs as part of a study by the Butantan Institute, which produces CoronaVac, a vaccine developed by Sinovac, a Chinese firm. More than 95% of serranenses got jabbed, despite Jair Bolsonaro, the president, claiming that it was unsafe. Preliminary results released on May 31st showed that symptomatic cases and deaths fell by 80% and 95%, respectively.

Only 11% of Brazilians are fully vaccinated, and the rate has slowed because of a shortage of ingredients for CoronaVac, which are imported from China. Chile, which has vaccinated 45% of its population, mostly with CoronaVac, is also suffering near-record cases.

https://www.economist.com/the-americas/2021/06/12/a-town-in-brazil-has-vaccinated-nearly-everyone-against-covid-19

bizarre

We mean uh call us racist or whatever but we legit’ thought that those CHINA vaccines didn’t work very well, yet there they are, so we’re not sure what to make of it.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 19:35:04
ID: 1751017

Witty Rejoinder said:

Jun 12th 2021 edition

Before the pandemic, Celso Vigo walked for 90 minutes each day through the streets of Serrana, a town of 45,000 people surrounded by sugarcane fields in the state of São Paulo. But when covid-19 hit, the 75-year-old retired bank clerk, who played football “well into my 60s”, was reduced to doing loops around his house. It reminded him of how Brazil, too, was going in circles. After a second wave killed 87,000 people in April, cases and deaths remain high.

But Serrana was given a way out. Between February and April, all adults were offered jabs as part of a study by the Butantan Institute, which produces CoronaVac, a vaccine developed by Sinovac, a Chinese firm. More than 95% of serranenses got jabbed, despite Jair Bolsonaro, the president, claiming that it was unsafe. Preliminary results released on May 31st showed that symptomatic cases and deaths fell by 80% and 95%, respectively. Only two covid-19 patients remain hospitalised in the local clinic (both refused the vaccine). Mr Vigo is once again pounding the pavements.

Serrana is a tantalising glimpse of an alternative reality in Brazil—one in which Mr Bolsonaro did not squander his chances to mount an effective public-health campaign and, later, to buy vaccines. But the study also has global implications. In phase three trials, CoronaVac had efficacy rates as low as 50%, the minimum required by the who. The lower the efficacy, the higher the share of people who must be jabbed to slow contagion. The trial in Serrana sought to discover that share. The town was split into four cohorts, that got jabbed in successive weeks. Contagion dropped dramatically after three out of the four had received two doses of the vaccine, suggesting that herd immunity is attained at around 75%.

These results could boost vaccine uptake across Brazil, hopes Ethel Maciel, an epidemiologist. But 75% is a long way off. Only 11% of Brazilians are fully vaccinated, and the rate has slowed because of a shortage of ingredients for CoronaVac, which are imported from China. Chile, which has vaccinated 45% of its population, mostly with CoronaVac, is also suffering near-record cases.

But Serrana itself has become an oasis. On a recent morning, children ran round a fountain in the plaza. Across the street a fabric shop that caters to elderly women had a steady stream of customers. A gang of old men occupied their usual benches. They discussed Mr Bolsonaro’s decision to host the Copa América, a football tournament, even though a third wave seems imminent. “Stupid,” a 97-year-old said. Half of them scattered when an outsider showed up. “We’re still scared,” explained Florivaldo Leandro, a retired police officer. Serrana’s calm came at a cost, he said. “We lost friends, neighbours and relatives. Our conscientiousness was forced upon us.”

Nice.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 19:41:24
ID: 1751019

In other news, I had a successful day of hacking.

I managed to dust off my 30yo C programming skills and fail completely at programming an Arduino board. So I got a mate to write the code I wanted, and I made some changes. (I got the LED to blink when it did what it was supposed to)

Will take it into the field next week and see if it does what we hope it does.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 23:30:31
ID: 1751063

how’s the flattening of the curve going?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/06/2021 23:33:17
ID: 1751064

Arts said:

When it gets squashed in the middle, it bulges at the ends…

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 00:13:12
ID: 1751069

furious said:

Arts said:

I notice how international travel and mask wearing doesn’t apply to the g2 summit people. Obviously if you are famous and wear a mask how does anyone tell you are famous

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 00:16:17
ID: 1751071

Arts said:

furious said:

Arts said:

I notice how international travel and mask wearing doesn’t apply to the g2 summit people. Obviously if you are famous and wear a mask how does anyone tell you are famous

7. Whatever. No one cares anyway

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 00:16:56
ID: 1751073

Arts said:

Arts said:

furious said:

are you ok?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 00:19:31
ID: 1751074

furious said:

Arts said:

Arts said:

are you ok?

I think my brain is broken

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 00:25:08
ID: 1751075

Arts said:

furious said:

Arts said:

are you ok?

I think my brain is broken

Sorry to hear that…

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 00:25:33
ID: 1751076

Arts said:

furious said:

Arts said:

I think all the world leaders have been vaccined now. This is supposed to be our future about a year from now when we’ve all had it too.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 00:27:37
ID: 1751077

party_pants said:

Arts said:

furious said:

I think all the world leaders have been vaccined now. This is supposed to be our future about a year from now when we’ve all had it too.

So, in a year, I’ll be meeting the queen? Better have a shave then…

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 00:30:24
ID: 1751079

furious said:

party_pants said:

Arts said:

Yeah, sure.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 00:31:38
ID: 1751080

party_pants said:

furious said:

party_pants said:

Yeah, sure.

Well, if Peta Credlin can get a queen’s birthday honour, anything can happen…

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 00:33:48
ID: 1751081

furious said:

party_pants said:

furious said:

Yeah, sure.

Not really. You gotta move in the right circles to get a gong these days.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 00:52:22
ID: 1751087

party_pants said:

furious said:

party_pants said:

Yeah, sure.

whilst we agree it’s disgusting above

we also must apologise that we’re bringing the thread back on topic with something that might be slightly interesting

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/12/world/china-covid-delta-variant-guangzhou.html?smid=tw-share

Delta variant of the coronavirus spreads in southeastern China, doctors say they are finding that the symptoms are different and more dangerous than those they saw when the initial version of the virus

The virus concentrations that are detected in their bodies climb to levels higher than previously seen, and then decline only slowly

Britain and Brazil have reported similar trends with the variants that circulated in those countries, but the severity of those variants has not yet been confirmed.

The authorities said that they had conducted 32 million tests in Guangzhou, which has 18 million people, and 10 million in the adjacent city of Foshan, which has seven million.

Guangzhou has also isolated and quarantined tens of thousands of residents who had been anywhere near those infected. The testing and quarantine appear to have slowed but not stopped the outbreak.

LOL

this is probably because CHINA are technically backward and incompetent

these strains don’t cause any trouble in free and advanced countries

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 00:54:10
ID: 1751088

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 00:54:29
ID: 1751089

SCIENCE said:

party_pants said:

furious said:

whilst we agree it’s disgusting above

we also must apologise that we’re bringing the thread back on topic with something that might be slightly interesting

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/12/world/china-covid-delta-variant-guangzhou.html?smid=tw-share

Delta variant of the coronavirus spreads in southeastern China, doctors say they are finding that the symptoms are different and more dangerous than those they saw when the initial version of the virus

The virus concentrations that are detected in their bodies climb to levels higher than previously seen, and then decline only slowly

Britain and Brazil have reported similar trends with the variants that circulated in those countries, but the severity of those variants has not yet been confirmed.

The authorities said that they had conducted 32 million tests in Guangzhou, which has 18 million people, and 10 million in the adjacent city of Foshan, which has seven million.

Guangzhou has also isolated and quarantined tens of thousands of residents who had been anywhere near those infected. The testing and quarantine appear to have slowed but not stopped the outbreak.

LOL

My sarcasm detector is making noises.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 01:02:22
ID: 1751092

party_pants said:

SCIENCE said:

My sarcasm detector is making noises.

Fair play, we’re actually quite concerned at what these developments mean. Possibly nothing different to what we already know but hey, more evidence.

From the article it sounds like they haven’t jumped straight to massive lockdown yet (authoritarian accusations here we come) so you’d hope the implication is merely that this is incredibly difficult to control without shutting everything down (probably still possible but it’s a fine line).

If it turns out they’ve actually been secretly locked down and it’s still spreading, then … well, we d’n‘o’.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 03:09:08
ID: 1751108

What’s impressive in this case is how this strategic revelation comes after 14 months of pandemic.

We’re also a bit slow in that the article is from 2 weeks ago, of course.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/singapore-to-also-isolate-household-members-of-a-close-contact-of-covid-19-case

Singapore to also isolate household members of close contacts of Covid-19 cases

SINGAPORE – Singapore will begin putting entire households in isolation, should one household member be identified as a close contact of a Covid-19 case, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Monday (May 31). This is because the country’s experience has shown that an infected person is quite likely to pass the virus on to others in the same household.

If the first-degree contact tests negative, the entire household can be safely released from isolation, PM Lee added. “But if later, the first-degree contact tests positive, we will have saved precious time by isolating his household members earlier,” he said. “This more aggressive approach will help us to shut down clusters more quickly, and with fewer cases.”

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 03:31:14
ID: 1751111

> Delta variant of the coronavirus spreads in southeastern China, doctors say they are finding that the symptoms are different and more dangerous than those they saw when the initial version of the virus

Eek. No deaths in China since Jan 2021.

My news this week is more muted. Covid deaths are on the rise worldwide again, after decreasing at the end of the 3rd wave. And without a corresponding increase in the number of cases. Suggesting some more deadly strain has arrived.

Not much new in the chart of worst off countries. Uruguay is slightly better, offsetting a horror week last week. Paraguay is noticeably worse. Eastern Europe continues to improve, with Macedonia and Bulgaria no longer countries of interest. Bahrain the worst off non SAm country, is getting better, fingers crossed. Malaysia is looking slightly better off than last week. Australia is now 5 1/2 months without a single covid death.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 09:53:27
ID: 1751155

mollwollfumble said:

> Delta variant of the coronavirus spreads in southeastern China, doctors say they are finding that the symptoms are different and more dangerous than those they saw when the initial version of the virus

My news this week is more muted. Covid deaths are on the rise worldwide again, after decreasing at the end of the 3rd wave. And without a corresponding increase in the number of cases. Suggesting some more deadly strain has arrived.

Not much new in the chart of worst off countries. Uruguay is slightly better, offsetting a horror week last week. Paraguay is noticeably worse. Eastern Europe continues to improve, with Macedonia and Bulgaria no longer countries of interest. Bahrain the worst off non SAm country, is getting better, fingers crossed. Malaysia is looking slightly better off than last week. Australia is now 5 1/2 months without a single covid death.

How can deaths/population/week be an integer greater than 1, and how can it be negative?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 10:00:25
ID: 1751162

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

How can deaths/population/week be an integer greater than 1, and how can it be negative?

Some people just don’t understand the zombie apocalypse sheesh.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 10:55:42
ID: 1751202

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

This is ranking. -1, -2, -3, … for worst, second worst, third worst country etc.

Actual numbers last week ranged up to 133*10^-6 deaths per person per week.

I use minus because otherwise the chart is upside down.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 11:00:00
ID: 1751204

mollwollfumble said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

This is ranking. -1, -2, -3, … for worst, second worst, third worst country etc.

Actual numbers last week ranged up to 133*10^-6 deaths per person per week.

I use minus because otherwise the chart is upside down.

Thanks.

Wouldn’t the actual numbers give a better picture though?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 11:34:03
ID: 1751223

The Betoota advocate:

‘Melbourne Man Caught Trying To Enter International Space Station.

“Why can’t people from Melbourne just stay in Melbourne? How hard is it?” said Home Affairs Minister Karen Andrews, who said her team is now tasked with the job of getting this fucking man back to Australia from outer space.

“They go on about how much they love it in Melbourne and all they do is get caught leaving it,”

“Now we have this pelican trying to get into the International Space Station. For Christ’s sake! Just do what you’re fucking told!”

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 13:53:04
ID: 1751282

Probably the fault of the vaccine-hesitant boom-boom-boomers who don’t want to die from unusual clots, this has nothing to do with

By Peter Marsh

Some Victorian vaccination hubs have paused walk-in appointments of the Pfizer vaccine

We’re expecting to hear more about this today, but from what we heard yesterday this is because the supply of the vaccine for the week has already been allocated to 50,000 people who have made bookings (and keeping doses aside for those who need their second).

This doesn’t apply to the AstraZeneca vaccine.

If you’re not sure or want more info, you can call the coronavirus hotline on 1800 675 398,

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 14:00:02
ID: 1751284

Another bullshit pi’e dream in the sky story about a disease that only kills a few people but lets The Economy Must Grow regardless, it’s mostly like a mild ‘flu’, there’s a vaccine, but suppression-elimination-eradication is impossible.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-14/patient-zero-polio-re-emerged-children-across-western-pacific/100162048

Don’t worry it mostly affects children just like COVID-19 will once we’ve shot all the adults, and then we can just let it rip and live like old normal and melt the glaciers and let the children spread it happily around because they don’t get sick from it at all yeah oh wait.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 15:09:44
ID: 1751306

https://www.theage.com.au/national/seasonal-flu-nowhere-to-be-seen-in-australia-20210612-p580gk.html

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 15:34:14
ID: 1751314

Witty Rejoinder said:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/seasonal-flu-nowhere-to-be-seen-in-australia-20210612-p580gk.html

From that piece (I haven’t read all of it yet)

“A similar trend has been reported by chairman of the Immunisation Coalition and GP, Rod Pearce, who helps undertake COVID-19 testing through a respiratory clinic in South Australia.

The testing doesn’t just pick up coronavirus, but another 10 viruses.”

I thought we established by searching the sources that a COVID19 PCR test only tests for COVID19. Maybe his particular respiratory clinic does big tests, but I don’t think it is done generally.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 15:42:04
ID: 1751316

Found the link.

“It is important to note that due to the COVID-19 epidemic in Australia, data reported from the various influenza surveillance systems may not represent an accurate reflection of influenza activity. Results should be interpreted with caution, especially where comparisons are made to previous influenza seasons. Interpretation of influenza activity data from April 2020 onwards should take into account, but are not limited to, the impact of social distancing measures, likely changes in health seeking behaviour of the community including access to alternative streams of acute respiratory infection specific health services, and focussed testing for COVID-19 response activities. Current COVID-19 related public health measures and the community’s adherence to public health messages are also likely having an effect on transmission of acute respiratory infections, including influenza.” (My emphasis)

From the Department of Health:

https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/cda-surveil-ozflu-flucurr.htm

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 18:20:04
ID: 1751380

buffy said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

From that piece (I haven’t read all of it yet)

“The testing doesn’t just pick up coronavirus, but another 10 viruses.”

I thought we established by searching the sources that a COVID19 PCR test only tests for COVID19. Maybe his particular respiratory clinic does big tests, but I don’t think it is done generally.

1. “the testing” must be interpreted as the specific test alone
  2. yes if what was established was actually that a whole heap of viruses have been tested for more in the past year plus
Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 21:22:51
ID: 1751427

Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Beyond Amoy Gardens: Completing the Incomplete Legacy

Ignatius Tak-Sun Yu, Hong Qiu, Lap Ah Tse, and Tze Wai Wong
Division of Occupational and Environmental Health, JC School of Public Health and Primary Care, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China

The temporal and spatial distributions of the 2003 severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) outbreak in Amoy Gardens of Hong Kong was reexamined using all confirmed cases. The outbreak actually extended to nearby residential complexes. Airborne spread was the most likely explanation, and the SARS coronavirus could have spread over a distance of 200 m.

Received 19 September 2013; accepted 24 November 2013; electronically published 6 December 2013.

LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 21:53:35
ID: 1751439

Witty Rejoinder said:

There hasn’t been a single flu death reported in 2021, and there were less than 40 in 2020. This compares to more than 800 in 2019, a particularly bad season.

There were just nine cases of the flu confirmed in the first week of this month, according to the Immunisation Coalition. So far this year, there have been just 60 notifications of influenza in Victoria and 32 in NSW. Queensland has seen the most cases – at 171.

no wonder they say this COVID-19 thing which is just a very mild ‘flu’ is harmless, not worth worrying about, let it rip

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 21:55:17
ID: 1751440

SCIENCE said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

There hasn’t been a single flu death reported in 2021, and there were less than 40 in 2020. This compares to more than 800 in 2019, a particularly bad season.

There were just nine cases of the flu confirmed in the first week of this month, according to the Immunisation Coalition. So far this year, there have been just 60 notifications of influenza in Victoria and 32 in NSW. Queensland has seen the most cases – at 171.

no wonder they say this COVID-19 thing which is just a very mild ‘flu’ is harmless, not worth worrying about, let it rip

Of course, it is like bushfires. Every year with no bushfires just makes the eventual bushfire deadlier.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 21:57:30
ID: 1751446

Dark Orange said:

SCIENCE said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

Of course, it is like bushfires. Every year with no bushfires just makes the eventual bushfire deadlier.

ah like smallpox

Reply Quote

Date: 14/06/2021 22:01:48
ID: 1751447

Witty Rejoinder said:

“It’s either eradicated, or it’s at such low levels we’re having trouble detecting it,” said the Doherty Institute’s Professor Ian Barr.

LOL get real, everyone knows that endemic diseases we love to spread around can’t possibly be eradicated, who the hell are these dough boy institute anyway, as if some uneducated grunts would know anything about medicine or disease

Reply Quote

Date: 15/06/2021 17:08:16
ID: 1751670

Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said formal hotel quarantine was offered to people in those situations if they wanted.

But he said there had been “great success” with positive cases isolating at home, and said apartment buildings were different to hotel quarantine because there were no staff being potentially exposed.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/06/2021 22:46:54
ID: 1751742

LOL

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-15/nsw-hotel-quarantine-covid19-case-possible-spread-breach/100218310

NSW Health authorities are investigating another possible instance of COVID-19 spreading among returned travellers in hotel quarantine.

NSW Health said tonight it was unclear how and where transmission occurred from a couple to another returned traveller who were all staying on the fourth floor of the Radisson Blu quarantine hotel. All three cases arrived in Sydney on the same flight from Doha on June 1, and stayed in adjacent rooms in the quarantine hotel in Sydney’s CBD. Genomic sequencing has shown all three cases have identical viral sequences of the UK variant, also known as the Alpha strain, of the virus.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 08:29:31
ID: 1751819

see just a mild ‘flu’ easy

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-16/us-covid-death-toll-milestone-vaccine-grand-reopening/100218430

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 09:07:19
ID: 1751825

Analysis suggests COVID-19 was in US by Christmas 2019

A new analysis of blood samples from 24,000 Americans taken early last year is the latest and largest study to suggest that the new coronavirus popped up in the US in December 2019 — weeks before cases were first recognised by health officials.

The analysis is not definitive, and some experts remain sceptical, but federal health officials are increasingly accepting a timeline in which small numbers of COVID-19 infections may have occurred in the US before the world ever became aware of a dangerous new virus erupting in China.

“The studies are pretty consistent,” said Natalie Thornburg of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“There was probably very rare and sporadic cases here earlier than we were aware of. But it was not widespread and didn’t become widespread until late February.”

Such results underscore the need for countries to work together and identify newly emerging viruses as quickly and collaboratively as possible, she added.

AP

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-16/covid-live-update-latest-news-nsw-hotel-quarantine/100218512

I haven’t yet looked for the actual paper that reports this.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 09:10:43
ID: 1751828

Michael V said:

A new analysis of blood samples from 24,000 Americans taken early last year is the latest and largest study to suggest that the new coronavirus popped up in the US in December 2019 — weeks before cases were first recognised by health officials.

The analysis is not definitive, and some experts remain sceptical, but federal health officials are increasingly accepting a timeline in which small numbers of COVID-19 infections may have occurred in the US before the world ever became aware of a dangerous new virus erupting in China.

“The studies are pretty consistent,” said Natalie Thornburg of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“There was probably very rare and sporadic cases here earlier than we were aware of. But it was not widespread and didn’t become widespread until late February.”

Such results underscore the need for countries to work together and identify newly emerging viruses as quickly and collaboratively as possible, she added.

AP

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-16/covid-live-update-latest-news-nsw-hotel-quarantine/100218512

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciab519/6294073

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 09:12:48
ID: 1751830

Michael V said:

AP

Looks like it’s old news though.

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-united-states-december-2019.html

That’s dated 2/12/20

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 09:14:07
ID: 1751831

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

AP

That one is not looking as far back as December 2019.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 09:16:20
ID: 1751832

buffy said:

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

AP

I see.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 09:17:43
ID: 1751833

roughbarked said:

buffy said:

roughbarked said:

I see.

I probably clicked on the wrong link. The latest study, published Tuesday online by the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases, is by a team including researchers at the National Institutes of Health. They analyzed blood samples from more than 24,000 people across the country, collected in the first three months of 2020 as part of a long-term study called “All Of Us” that seeks to track 1 million Americans over years to study health.

Like the CDC study, these researchers looked for antibodies in the blood that are taken as evidence of coronavirus infection, and can be detected as early as two weeks after a person is first infected. The researchers say nine study participants — five from Illinois, and one each from Massachusetts, Mississippi, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin — were infected earlier than any COVID-19 case was ever reported in those states. One of the Illinois cases was infected as early as Christmas Eve, said Keri Althoff, an associate professor at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and the study’s lead author.

June 15, 2021 at 08:04 AM in COVID-19, Medical testing | Permalink | Comments (0) https://crofsblogs.typepad.com/h5n1/

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 09:18:36
ID: 1751834

roughbarked said:

buffy said:

roughbarked said:

I see.

But this one was published 30 November 2020.

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/72/12/e1004/6012472

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 09:21:34
ID: 1751835

It can be difficult to distinguish antibodies that neutralize SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, from antibodies that fight other coronaviruses, including some that cause the common cold. Researchers in both the NIH and CDC studies used multiple types of tests to minimize false positive results, but some experts say it still is possible their 2019 positives were infections by other coronaviruses and not the pandemic strain.

“While it is entirely plausible that the virus was introduced into the United States much earlier than is usually appreciated, it does not mean that this is necessarily strong enough evidence to change how we’re thinking about this,” said William Hanage, a Harvard University expert on disease dynamics.

The NIH researchers have not followed up with study participants yet to see if any had traveled out of the U.S. prior to their infection. But they found it noteworthy that the seven did not live in or near New York City or Seattle, where the first wave of U.S. cases were concentrated.

“The question is how did, and where did, the virus take seed,” Althoff said. The new study indicates “it probably seeded in multiple places in our country,” she added.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 09:23:32
ID: 1751837

And then there was evidence of it being in Italy earlier too. From sewerage testing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7428442/

And more generally:

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-circulating-italy-earlier-thought.html

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 09:24:16
ID: 1751838

buffy said:

And then there was evidence of it being in Italy earlier too. From sewerage testing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7428442/

And more generally:

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-circulating-italy-earlier-thought.html

Yes. I thought that the earliest cases were in Italy.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 09:34:14
ID: 1751841

all bullshit it was clearly leaked from a laboratory in CHINA and your claims are just more propaganda

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 09:35:02
ID: 1751842

SCIENCE said:

all bullshit it was clearly leaked from a laboratory in CHINA and your claims are just more propaganda

We all know that.. When it arrived in places outside China though…

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 09:44:54
ID: 1751843

roughbarked said:

SCIENCE said:

you mean they were skilled enough to smuggle it into various countries

and then make sure it didn’t explode for months despite being absolutely fucking crazy these days

and then pretend it was all a wet market

and then be sure when they told everyone oh shit better mask up and lock down that nobody except Jacinda would listen

we mean who are these geniuses who can so dominate the world with their intellectual superiority

and we thought Russian cryptocurrency ransomware hackers were the shit

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 09:48:09
ID: 1751844

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

SCIENCE said:

you mean they were skilled enough to smuggle it into various countries

and then make sure it didn’t explode for months despite being absolutely fucking crazy these days

and then pretend it was all a wet market

and then be sure when they told everyone oh shit better mask up and lock down that nobody except Jacinda would listen

we mean who are these geniuses who can so dominate the world with their intellectual superiority

and we thought Russian cryptocurrency ransomware hackers were the shit

No I don’t mean that at all.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 11:09:08
ID: 1751877

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

Have they finished? They have also slipped another notch down the deaths per million chart to number 35 now. (USA and UK running neck for neck at 19 and 20)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 14:02:44
ID: 1751948

Indian authorities have launched an investigation after an internal government report concluded that some private agencies responsible for coronavirus testing on pilgrims at a sprawling Hindu festival forged at least 100,000 results.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 14:04:46
ID: 1751950

Australian Age Author Acts As Asian Apologist

https://www.theage.com.au/national/we-probably-should-have-been-wearing-masks-the-whole-time-20210615-p5819r.html

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 15:37:50
ID: 1751978

And off we go again.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-16/nsw-covid19-positive-locally-acquired-case-recorded/100218700

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 16:11:36
ID: 1751983

LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 16:44:33
ID: 1751990

buffy said:

And off we go again.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-16/nsw-covid19-positive-locally-acquired-case-recorded/100218700

He was a driver for flight crew, apparently.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 17:24:12
ID: 1752000

Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

And off we go again.

Gold Standard

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 00:03:21
ID: 1752128

Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

And off we go again.

And a bloke who lived in the same residence has now tested positive.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 00:54:36
ID: 1752129

sibeen said:

Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

And off we go again.

Just when I was thinking I’m nearly out of toilet paper.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 07:58:36
ID: 1752133

roughbarked said:

sibeen said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Just when I was thinking I’m nearly out of toilet paper.

BUY BUY BUY

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 08:03:22
ID: 1752137

buffy said:

poikilotherm said:

Evening, I feel a bit fkd after the second Covid shot now. Got all the fatigue and myalgia of a viral infection. Not overly autistic compared to usual though.

That was from poik at 21:12 last night. Apparently this response is showing up quite consistently.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-06-17/side-effect-astra-pfizer-vaccine-australia-safety-data/100202616

AstraZeneca and Pfizer COVID vaccine shots lead to missed work days, survey reveals

LOL damn that Economy Must Really Grow, imagine the damage losing work days must do, better get out there and catch that Let It Rip instead, a mild ‘flu’ wouldn’t cost as much sick leave

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 11:25:32
ID: 1752222

Australia’s vaccine experts are expected to further restrict the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine, recommending that people under 60 receive Pfizer.

The change, which sources have told the ABC the federal government is expected to agree to, will further complicate the national vaccine rollout.

The federal government is yet to receive the advice from the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI), with sources saying they hope it would be before them by 2pm AEST.

The vaccine is currently recommended for use by the over-50s, and that health advice has not yet changed.

Some experts had been calling for a review of the age rule, after a 52-year-old woman died from a clotting condition last week.

Health ministers across the country are also expected to receive the advice in the coming hours.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison is currently flying back from Europe to Australia, and is expected to land this afternoon.

Source have told the ABC that there has been no emergency National Cabinet meeting arranged.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-17/atagi-to-change-astrazeneca-age-rules/100222464

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 12:30:21
ID: 1752237

sarahs mum said:

Australia’s vaccine experts are expected to further restrict the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine, recommending that people under 60 receive Pfizer.

The change, which sources have told the ABC the federal government is expected to agree to, will further complicate the national vaccine rollout.

The federal government is yet to receive the advice from the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI), with sources saying they hope it would be before them by 2pm AEST.

The vaccine is currently recommended for use by the over-50s, and that health advice has not yet changed.

Some experts had been calling for a review of the age rule, after a 52-year-old woman died from a clotting condition last week.

Health ministers across the country are also expected to receive the advice in the coming hours.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison is currently flying back from Europe to Australia, and is expected to land this afternoon.

Source have told the ABC that there has been no emergency National Cabinet meeting arranged.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-17/atagi-to-change-astrazeneca-age-rules/100222464

Surely The Economy Must Grow is always more important than a few lazy old decrepits dying.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 12:33:48
ID: 1752239

SCIENCE said:

sarahs mum said:

Surely The Economy Must Grow is always more important than a few lazy old decrepits dying.

Perhaps us old over-60s are, by some arcane mechanism and measurement, immune to the lethal potentialities of the A-Z juice?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 12:51:52
ID: 1752241

SCIENCE said:

sarahs mum said:

I wonder the acceptable death number is before the economy must slow down or stop for a while

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 13:04:52
ID: 1752246

captain_spalding said:

SCIENCE said:

sarahs mum said:

Perhaps us old over-60s are, by some arcane mechanism and measurement, immune to the lethal potentialities of the A-Z juice?

That’ll be our immune system petering out as we age…

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 13:10:44
ID: 1752251

buffy said:

captain_spalding said:

SCIENCE said:

So is having an almost zero immune system a good thing for the way over 60s?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 13:16:26
ID: 1752256

Tamb said:

buffy said:

captain_spalding said:

Not really. And likely why your doctor is holding you back from the vaccine at the moment, I would think.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 13:43:14
ID: 1752264

buffy said:

Tamb said:

buffy said:

Not really. And likely why your doctor is holding you back from the vaccine at the moment, I would think.

I concur. It’s a bit worrying.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 13:50:20
ID: 1752265

Tamb said:

buffy said:

Tamb said:

It’s risk management. And it’s a Good Thing.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 13:53:26
ID: 1752266

buffy said:

Tamb said:

buffy said:

It’s risk management. And it’s a Good Thing.

I understand & agree with the logic but it’s still a bit of a worry.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 14:56:10
ID: 1752271

LOL

@ your

ABC

compare front reference

to headline

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-17/victoria-records-no-new-local-cases-of-coronavirus/100221856

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 15:17:36
ID: 1752280

SCIENCE said:

LOL

@ your

ABC

compare front reference

to headline

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-17/victoria-records-no-new-local-cases-of-coronavirus/100221856

Health workers, nurses,,,, working at secondary sites is way too easy for clusters to generate.

Same thing for chauffeurs, limousine drivers, taxi drivers, Uber drivers etc to spread COVID around creating multiple point to point contacts.

And other “positive round robin spreaders”.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 15:29:23
ID: 1752288

Tau.Neutrino said:

SCIENCE said:

LOL

@ your

ABC

compare front reference

to headline

Health workers, nurses,,,, working at secondary sites is way too easy for clusters to generate.

Same thing for chauffeurs, limousine drivers, taxi drivers, Uber drivers etc to spread COVID around creating multiple point to point contacts.

And other “positive round robin spreaders”.

Yes, “easing restrictions” is different to “concerned about restrictions”.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 15:39:04
ID: 1752296

All these latest pop ups of covid are breach issues with returning overseas travellers.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 16:04:50
ID: 1752311

Seems like Mr Car’s sister is one of the cases that made the govt change the astrazeneca roll out.

(Here I am think that there ain’t much difference in risk between a 58 year old and a 61 one year old. Or a 63 year old with a similar life style to the 58 year old.)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 16:36:16
ID: 1752335

Tau.Neutrino said:

All these latest pop ups of covid are breach issues with returning overseas travellers.

how convenient, just the impetus we need to stop the boats for the federal election

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 17:38:39
ID: 1752362

SCIENCE said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

how convenient, just the impetus we need to stop the boats for the federal election

Why cant there be compulsory quarantine for all returning people

grrr,

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 20:05:50
ID: 1752445

SCIENCE said:

SCIENCE said:
party_pants said:
SCIENCE said:

At a guess, the one that

1. results in breakthrough symptomatic disease in 50% (versus previous strains >90%) of vaccinated people
  2. results in ongoing transmission in >75% (versus previous strains <25%) of vaccinated people
  3. has increased infectivity in younger age groups (versus previous strains with similar infectivity across all ages) who have / can not be vaccinated as yet
  4. has increased viral load and transmissibility despite non-pharmaceutical interventions (versus previous strains which were easily controlled in .sg and .vn and so forth)
  5. will therefore be able to multiply up under this selection pressure (as it already has), and further mutate to continue to break protections leading to perpandemicity (rather than endemicity)

¿

well it looked better for a few days

Reply Quote

Date: 17/06/2021 20:47:54
ID: 1752458

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-17/astrazeneca-vaccine-covid-rollout-second-dose-pfizer/100222484

The health advice remains that you should not mix and match vaccines, for instance by following up an AstraZeneca shot with a Pfizer shot.

“There are some trials looking at a mix-and-match approach,” Professor Kelly said. “There is very little evidence that it is either effective or safe.”

LOL

well yes, that’s because this thing is barely a year old

seems to be doing just fine overseas

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 02:11:01
ID: 1752499

sarahs mum said:

sad

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 02:13:15
ID: 1752500

SCIENCE said:

SCIENCE said:
SCIENCE said:

At a guess, the one that

¿

https://www.channel4.com/news/hospitals-told-to-brace-for-double-wave-of-covid-and-child-infections

An internal NHS email seen by Channel 4 News shows how hospitals are being told to prepare for a third Covid-19 wave at the same time as a spike in serious infections among very young children.

The email begins: “We are preparing for a third wave of Covid.”

It goes on: “We are following national guidance on planning, which is to plan for 50 per cent of the first wave, with fewer patients needing (intensive care) and admitted patients being younger and less sick. This is the pattern we’re currently seeing across the trust.

“The peak is expected to be 1st August but that is likely to change as we get more information.

“At the same time as COVID, we are predicting a national wave of RSV infections in children, which will likely lead to more admissions, (non-invasive ventilation) and intubation among very young children.

“The size and duration of the wave is not yet known, but it’s likely to start in July or August.”

LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 06:47:52
ID: 1752504

SCIENCE said:

sarahs mum said:

sad

Probably still win next election…

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 06:59:51
ID: 1752506

Are there any COVID developments in China? I haven’t seen any mention of such, but i may not have been paying close enough attention.

While India struggles, and the Western world deals with the arrival of this strain and that strain and this wave and maybe the next, is China now clear, fine, no problems here, it’s all over and done with, thanks?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 07:21:26
ID: 1752508

captain_spalding said:

Are there any COVID developments in China? I haven’t seen any mention of such, but i may not have been paying close enough attention.

While India struggles, and the Western world deals with the arrival of this strain and that strain and this wave and maybe the next, is China now clear, fine, no problems here, it’s all over and done with, thanks?

Depending on where your conspiracy theory meter is sitting, you may or may not believe the Worldometers numbers:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 07:25:07
ID: 1752509

And they appear to come down fast and hard on any new cases.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/16/chinas-guangzhou-reports-zero-new-cases-for-first-time-in-new-cluster.html

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 07:28:37
ID: 1752510

And a Reuters report:

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-reports-19-new-covid-19-cases-june-16-vs-21-day-earlier-2021-06-17/

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 09:02:51
ID: 1752514

buffy said:

buffy said:
buffy said:
captain_spalding said:

Depending on where your conspiracy theory meter is sitting, you may or may not believe the Worldometers numbers:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

And they appear to come down fast and hard on any new cases.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/16/chinas-guangzhou-reports-zero-new-cases-for-first-time-in-new-cluster.html

And a Reuters report:

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-reports-19-new-covid-19-cases-june-16-vs-21-day-earlier-2021-06-17/

On Wednesday, Chen Bin, deputy director of the Guangzhou Municipal Health Commission, said zero cases “does not mean zero risk,” according to comments reported by local media.

“they appear to come down fast and hard on any new cases”

Those Communists In CHINA Are Harbouring Virology Secrets And Must Know Something About Pandemic Control That We Don’t, If It Is Even Possible That Their Minimal Caseload Is Not Just Propaganda

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 13:33:05
ID: 1752611

“Current data in Australia says that the over-60s, of those who contract COVID, 14 per cent of those die. So, it’s a really important message that this vaccine will protect you from this virus, but you do need to get the vaccine. If you’ve had your first dose of AstraZeneca, please don’t hesitate to get your second dose.”

From “Chief nursing officer urges people to get vaccinated”

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-18/covid-live-update-latest-news/100224426

Anyone got any idea where that 14% comes from? I don’t think it’s even that high for the over 80s.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 13:39:45
ID: 1752612

buffy said:

“Current data in Australia says that the over-60s, of those who contract COVID, 14 per cent of those die. So, it’s a really important message that this vaccine will protect you from this virus, but you do need to get the vaccine. If you’ve had your first dose of AstraZeneca, please don’t hesitate to get your second dose.”

Anyone got any idea where that 14% comes from? I don’t think it’s even that high for the over 80s.

OK, the ABS says it’s quite serious if you are male and over 80. See case fatality rates:

https://www.abs.gov.au/articles/covid-19-mortality-0

But I don’t know how you get a number for over 60s.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 13:41:58
ID: 1752614

buffy said:

buffy said:

OK, the ABS says it’s quite serious if you are male and over 80. See case fatality rates:

https://www.abs.gov.au/articles/covid-19-mortality-0

But I don’t know how you get a number for over 60s.

They probably should update that page now. The numbers might not be the same after the second wave with few deaths.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 13:47:41
ID: 1752619

The Ganges Is Returning the Dead. It Does Not Lie.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/17/opinion/india-covid-ganges.html

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 15:12:28
ID: 1752708

Queensland police fine a Melbourne couple more than $4,000 each after they allegedly lied on their border declaration passes and later tested positive to COVID-19 on the Sunshine Coast.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 15:16:12
ID: 1752709

roughbarked said:

Queensland police fine a Melbourne couple more than $4,000 each after they allegedly lied on their border declaration passes and later tested positive to COVID-19 on the Sunshine Coast.

good.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 15:17:50
ID: 1752710

Peak Warming Man said:

roughbarked said:

good.

Should stand as a warning to other selfish people but the fines should get bigger each offence.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 15:26:02
ID: 1752711

roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

roughbarked said:

good.

Should stand as a warning to other selfish people but the fines should get bigger each offence.

What about the contention that people will now be less likely to come forward and own up to where they’ve been ¿

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 15:27:16
ID: 1752712

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

good.

What about the contention that people will now be less likely to come forward and own up to where they’ve been ¿

Greater punishment should ensue. The more that do it the bigger the fines get.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 15:29:32
ID: 1752713

roughbarked said:

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

Greater punishment should ensue. The more that do it the bigger the fines get.

Indexed to their financial placement. That time they tried to sail around the blockades to get to where they were going, their boat should have been sent to the crushers and their property impounded.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 15:31:54
ID: 1752716

Peak Warming Man said:

roughbarked said:

good.

That all? It costs $4k to quarantine them.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 15:33:01
ID: 1752717

Dark Orange said:

Peak Warming Man said:

roughbarked said:

good.

So they’re paying $8000 then ¿

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 15:33:07
ID: 1752718

Dark Orange said:

Peak Warming Man said:

roughbarked said:

good.

They should have to pay that as well and including all court costs.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 15:33:51
ID: 1752719

SCIENCE said:

Dark Orange said:

Peak Warming Man said:

good.

Makes nodding motions.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 15:34:37
ID: 1752720

SCIENCE said:

Dark Orange said:

Peak Warming Man said:

good.

Yup – only twice the cost of doing it legitimately. If they hadn’t actually had covid, they’d have saved $4k.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 15:35:30
ID: 1752722

SCIENCE said:

Dark Orange said:
Peak Warming Man said:

good.

actually no we get your point, they’re federal government cronies and this is yet again another bullshit way of getting the public to believe that the justice has been served, while generous party donors with good financial backing get to pay the market rate for hotel accommodation which normal people wouldn’t even get access to owing to being strictly meant to shelter in place

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 15:35:41
ID: 1752723

Dark Orange said:

SCIENCE said:

Dark Orange said:

Yup – only twice the cost of doing it legitimately. If they hadn’t actually had covid, they’d have saved $4k.

No.. If they hadn’t lied..

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 15:36:14
ID: 1752724

SCIENCE said:

SCIENCE said:
Dark Orange said:

actually no we get your point, they’re federal government cronies and this is yet again another bullshit way of getting the public to believe that the justice has been served, while generous party donors with good financial backing get to pay the market rate for hotel accommodation which normal people wouldn’t even get access to owing to being strictly meant to shelter in place

Somewhat true as well.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 15:37:09
ID: 1752725

Hey DO.

You tube offered me

Did I Just Break My GOLD SNIPING RECORD? Crevices Loaded With GOLD NUGGETS!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aTePQUEMpE

Have you watched them?

And also…I watched this vid on Jordies.

7 NEWS JUST SCREWED FRIENDLY JORDIES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csBnxm4_bS8

For those who watched the Jordies vids it is obvious to see how they were editted for spin.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 17:20:23
ID: 1752744

sarahs mum said:

Hey DO.

You tube offered me

Did I Just Break My GOLD SNIPING RECORD? Crevices Loaded With GOLD NUGGETS!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aTePQUEMpE

Have you watched them?

And also…I watched this vid on Jordies.

7 NEWS JUST SCREWED FRIENDLY JORDIES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csBnxm4_bS8

For those who watched the Jordies vids it is obvious to see how they were editted for spin.

of latter of course I haven’t watched it or anything related, so couldn’t possibly comment

but hypothetically, if I consulted my crystal ball, delved the realm of possibility space, imagined an example, totally random, considered whatever in generalities, I might conjure an example that was more about fixation than terrorism, or I might not, and I might wonder if people are sometimes waiting for something to happen, or I might not, waiting with their recording devices, which could be to invite something, and then claim it was unexpected

I should though mention not all fixated ideas are wrong, or entirely wrong, or bad, or fixations maybe I should say, if there was any fixations, which maybe there wasn’t, I couldn’t be sure, not even sure where I heard that word, perhaps I didn’t and i’m misremembering, an inexactitude i’ll call it

mainstream media tend to arrange content for anyone to be able to understand, a special sort of right thinking, eventually I think garden vegetables will able to watch that sort of news and get the gist of what’s going on, or understand the intended message, and even if they don’t quite get that far they’ll internalize the messaging, the method

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 18:18:19
ID: 1752779

SCIENCE said:

sarahs mum said:

sad

might be over the top to claim it’s disastrous, in my vernacular that’s exaggeration anyway

gets a bit lost in the noise, but the reality is vaccines have been fast tracked, the greater testing on larger populations is going well, the AZ age recommendations have been adjusted for example

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 18:34:16
ID: 1752784

transition said:

SCIENCE said:

sarahs mum said:

sad

might be over the top to claim it’s disastrous, in my vernacular that’s exaggeration anyway

gets a bit lost in the noise, but the reality is vaccines have been fast tracked, the greater testing on larger populations is going well, the AZ age recommendations have been adjusted for example

Yes. I love all the people who have eagle eyed hindsight.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 18:36:07
ID: 1752785

“Almost one-third of WA nurses working in aged care say they would rather quit their jobs than be forced to have a COVID-19 vaccine, according to a survey by the Australian Nursing Federation.

The WA branch of the federation (ANF) surveyed 800 of its members working in aged care and found 31 per cent would leave their job if they were forced to be vaccinated against coronavirus.

Earlier this month, Premier Mark McGowan said his government was looking at making it mandatory by sometime in August for aged care workers to be vaccinated against COVID-19.

Mr McGowan said he supported the idea, subject to exemptions, because elderly people were very vulnerable to the virus and the workforce was a potential source of infection.”

Around 30% of aged-care nurses clearly have little medical understanding, it seems to me. This might be a way of getting rid of them.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 18:37:32
ID: 1752786

Michael V said:

“Almost one-third of WA nurses working in aged care say they would rather quit their jobs than be forced to have a COVID-19 vaccine, according to a survey by the Australian Nursing Federation.

The WA branch of the federation (ANF) surveyed 800 of its members working in aged care and found 31 per cent would leave their job if they were forced to be vaccinated against coronavirus.

Earlier this month, Premier Mark McGowan said his government was looking at making it mandatory by sometime in August for aged care workers to be vaccinated against COVID-19.

Mr McGowan said he supported the idea, subject to exemptions, because elderly people were very vulnerable to the virus and the workforce was a potential source of infection.”

Around 30% of aged-care nurses clearly have little medical understanding, it seems to me. This might be a way of getting rid of them.

Ref:

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 18:38:46
ID: 1752787

sibeen said:

transition said:

SCIENCE said:

sad

what about the people who have been telling truth all along

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 18:45:54
ID: 1752791

Michael V said:

Yeah, I read that earlier today. It does seem odd that medically trained personages would be opposed to the vaccine.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 18:48:30
ID: 1752793

SCIENCE said:

sibeen said:

transition said:

You can’t handle the truth!

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 18:50:30
ID: 1752794

Witty Rejoinder said:

SCIENCE said:
sibeen said:

You can’t handle the truth!

true

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 18:55:05
ID: 1752796

Michael V said:

That does not necessarily mean they wont get vaccinated, some of them might have just been protesting about the ‘being forced’ bit.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 19:56:24
ID: 1752846

party_pants said:

Michael V said:

Yeah, I read that earlier today. It does seem odd that medically trained personages would be opposed to the vaccine.

maybe they see the vaccination as being used for political purposes, that to be too readily obliging is to invite letting it (coronavirus) go wild, and if you work in a hospital or services related you get to work around the most serious dimension of medical outcomes of infection, contagion-central if you will, and the reality is vaccinated people can still carry the infection, and even get seriously ill (though statistically a lot less likely that latter)

people that work in hospitals are very alert to moving infections around, preventing it is part of their training, so it should be an unsurprise to learn their attitudes add up to don’t let it go wild, i’m not helping anyone do that

I mean vaccine hesitancy (some of) can be seen as a prophylaxis to letting it go wild (a stance, to maximize elimination strategies), and i’d bet there is some of that happening, though you won’t read about it for various reasons

there are some forces presently that have near a monistic view that the vaccine is the singular big fix, if everyone would just get it done in a hurry, then everything would get back to normal, which is disingenuous really given much has actually been normal (in Australia)

there is though a threat to maintaining that normal if coronavirus was let go wild, even with mostly everyone vaccinated, and the casualties of the let it go wild policy end up in hospitals, the attending staff are constantly exposed by proximity, which comes with more constraints and testing etc (a higher risk hospital staff might carry and transmit it)

the category and related status of the disease post broad vaccination isn’t known yet, and that isn’t (only) because most people haven’t been vaccinated, and consider the insanity of the view it would be (known) if most people got vaccinated and it was let go wild, imagine the bullshit if that doesn’t go so well

there’s always plenty bullshit, who needs more of it

for some, notionally, most people vaccinated = let it go wild, not everyone is enthusiastic about that

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 19:59:28
ID: 1752850

transition said:

party_pants said:

Michael V said:

maybe they see the vaccination as being used for political purposes, that to be too readily obliging is to invite letting it (coronavirus) go wild, and if you work in a hospital or services related you get to work around the most serious dimension of medical outcomes of infection, contagion-central if you will, and the reality is vaccinated people can still carry the infection, and even get seriously ill (though statistically a lot less likely that latter)

people that work in hospitals are very alert to moving infections around, preventing it is part of their training, so it should be an unsurprise to learn their attitudes add up to don’t let it go wild, i’m not helping anyone do that

I mean vaccine hesitancy (some of) can be seen as a prophylaxis to letting it go wild (a stance, to maximize elimination strategies), and i’d bet there is some of that happening, though you won’t read about it for various reasons

there are some forces presently that have near a monistic view that the vaccine is the singular big fix, if everyone would just get it done in a hurry, then everything would get back to normal, which is disingenuous really given much has actually been normal (in Australia)

there is though a threat to maintaining that normal if coronavirus was let go wild, even with mostly everyone vaccinated, and the casualties of the let it go wild policy end up in hospitals, the attending staff are constantly exposed by proximity, which comes with more constraints and testing etc (a higher risk hospital staff might carry and transmit it)

the category and related status of the disease post broad vaccination isn’t known yet, and that isn’t (only) because most people haven’t been vaccinated, and consider the insanity of the view it would be (known) if most people got vaccinated and it was let go wild, imagine the bullshit if that doesn’t go so well

there’s always plenty bullshit, who needs more of it

for some, notionally, most people vaccinated = let it go wild, not everyone is enthusiastic about that

So will you be getting vaccinated?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 20:00:44
ID: 1752853

Thank goodness deaths in Uruguay have started to drop. Lowest there since early April.
Fingers crossed that the very high vaccination rate there is responsible.

And here are vaccination rates for the same countries over the same time period.
I hadn’t realised that just a week ago, Bahrain also had both an exceptionally high vaccination rate and exceptionally high death rate.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/06/2021 20:27:24
ID: 1752863

mollwollfumble said:

Thank goodness deaths in Uruguay have started to drop. Lowest there since early April.
Fingers crossed that the very high vaccination rate there is responsible.

And here are vaccination rates for the same countries over the same time period.
I hadn’t realised that just a week ago, Bahrain also had both an exceptionally high vaccination rate and exceptionally high death rate.

Deaths per million population (7 day rolling average). Changes over the past fortnight.

South America dominates of course, and Paraguay we already knew was a worlds worst disaster area. But it’s rapidly getting worse.

Watch out for the counties not in South America, ie. Seychelles (Indian Ocean), Namibia (Africa), Bahrain (Persian Gulf), Bosnia (Balkans) and Tunisia (North Africa). Any one of those could be the hot spot for future spread.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 09:46:51
ID: 1752930

Turns Out AstraZeneca Is Run By Christian Porter

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-19/astrazeneca-eu-vaccine-supply-court/100228188

A Belgian court ruled that coronavirus vaccine-maker AstraZeneca had committed a “serious breach” of its contract with the European Union amid a major legal battle over delivery obligations that has tarnished the company’s image.

The court ordered AstraZeneca to deliver a total of 80.2 million doses to the EU from the time the contract was agreed up until September 27. The Commission, for its part, also claimed a victory in that the judge had ordered the company to respect a delivery schedule of 15 million doses by July 26, 20 million doses by August 23 and 15 million doses by September 27. It ordered a fine of $AUD 15 per dose not delivered.

But the Anglo-Swedish company claimed victory, saying that this was far fewer than the 120 million doses that the EU’s executive branch, the European Commission, was seeking in total by the end of June. “We are pleased with the Court’s order,” Executive Vice-President Jeffrey Pott said in a statement.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 09:49:32
ID: 1752932

LOL

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-06-19/australia-call-to-lengthen-covid-quarantine-period/100018300

you get all this transmission from air crew and diplomats who have to quarantine for virtually no time and now it’s about lengthening it for others

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 10:02:17
ID: 1752934

Strange AFL match in Geelong last night. Crowd was restricted to 25%, 7000 people, yet for some reason all the fans were seated together instead of spread out around the stadium.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 10:32:54
ID: 1752942

A quick video I put together of a map of Covid deaths /1M worldwide as a function of time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1us8vyMy3ueBZuw9PQVjSgcLCcf5NB25y/view?usp=sharing

It’s worth watching all the way through several times.

From https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths
metric=“confirmed deaths”, interval=“7-day rolling average” (or “biweekly”), tick “relative to population”
Click on “maps”, scroll back to the start and press play.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 10:39:33
ID: 1752943

mollwollfumble said:

A quick video I put together of a map of Covid deaths /1M worldwide as a function of time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1us8vyMy3ueBZuw9PQVjSgcLCcf5NB25y/view?usp=sharing

metric=“confirmed deaths”, interval=“7-day rolling average” (or “biweekly”), tick “relative to population”

Australia is looking good. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 10:49:48
ID: 1752946

Dark Orange said:

mollwollfumble said:

Australia is looking good. :)

There was just a brief interval when Australia wasn’t exceedingly healthy, mid September 2020, see below.
Australia is now approaching 6 months with zero Covid deaths, only 9 more days to go.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 11:03:32
ID: 1752948

mollwollfumble said:

I’m not quite clear. Is that deaths per million (cumulative deaths/total population) or deaths per million per week (number of deaths this week/total population)? Because the size of the population in each country wouldn’t change a lot and if each week you added some more deaths to your total, you wouldn’t get reductions in deaths per million. That is, the number of deaths per million population would just keep getting bigger over time, so countries would just keep getting redder.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 11:24:23
ID: 1752951

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 11:27:52
ID: 1752952

SCIENCE said:

Yeah, but…Vic still did more tests yesterday than NSW. (30,843 to 26,631)

REF: ABC COVID live updates

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 11:29:15
ID: 1752953

buffy said:

SCIENCE said:

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 11:30:34
ID: 1752954

and then there was this Victorian traitor

Fortunately, expert epidemiologist Professor Catherine Bennett at Melbourne’s Deakin University agrees, for now.

Professor Bennett said the response to find, test and isolate known exposed people was working for the city, adding that comparisons between the Sydney eastern suburb’s cases and Melbourne’s cluster were worlds apart.

“The latest Melbourne outbreaks, including the Delta cluster, were three weeks in the making before discovery,” Professor Bennett said.

NSW is different. On the upside whilst they are yet to figure out how the index case acquired the virus, authorities can be reasonably confident that this is the cross-over point into the community.

“They are therefore only a generation of spread behind the virus, not four or five like Melbourne.”

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 11:34:02
ID: 1752957

buffy said:

mollwollfumble said:

I’m not quite clear. Is that deaths per million (cumulative deaths/total population) or deaths per million per week (number of deaths this week/total population)? Because the size of the population in each country wouldn’t change a lot and if each week you added some more deaths to your total, you wouldn’t get reductions in deaths per million. That is, the number of deaths per million population would just keep getting bigger over time, so countries would just keep getting redder.

Looks like it is confirmed deaths, 7 day rolling average, relative to population.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 11:35:57
ID: 1752959

SCIENCE said:

SCIENCE said:

SCIENCE said:

https://www.channel4.com/news/hospitals-told-to-brace-for-double-wave-of-covid-and-child-infections

An internal NHS email seen by Channel 4 News shows how hospitals are being told to prepare for a third Covid-19 wave at the same time as a spike in serious infections among very young children.

The email begins: “We are preparing for a third wave of Covid.”

It goes on: “We are following national guidance on planning, which is to plan for 50 per cent of the first wave, with fewer patients needing (intensive care) and admitted patients being younger and less sick. This is the pattern we’re currently seeing across the trust.

“The peak is expected to be 1st August but that is likely to change as we get more information.

“At the same time as COVID, we are predicting a national wave of RSV infections in children, which will likely lead to more admissions, (non-invasive ventilation) and intubation among very young children.

“The size and duration of the wave is not yet known, but it’s likely to start in July or August.”

LOL

ooh ooooh ooooooh

(just to reorient everyone, this is “United Kingdom” from https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6 as you may have guessed)

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 11:39:27
ID: 1752961

SCIENCE said:

and then there was this Victorian traitor

Fortunately, expert epidemiologist Professor Catherine Bennett at Melbourne’s Deakin University agrees, for now.

Professor Bennett said the response to find, test and isolate known exposed people was working for the city, adding that comparisons between the Sydney eastern suburb’s cases and Melbourne’s cluster were worlds apart.

“The latest Melbourne outbreaks, including the Delta cluster, were three weeks in the making before discovery,” Professor Bennett said.

NSW is different. On the upside whilst they are yet to figure out how the index case acquired the virus, authorities can be reasonably confident that this is the cross-over point into the community.

“They are therefore only a generation of spread behind the virus, not four or five like Melbourne.”

I don’t understand this. Didn’t the latest Melbourne outbreak come from someone out of Adelaide quarantine and it was found immediately they arrived in Melbourne?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 12:49:00
ID: 1752978

SCIENCE said:

buffy said:

SCIENCE said:

With just 26,631 tests administered yesterday, NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard urges Sydney residents to take the “near and present danger” of the state’s COVID cluster more seriously.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 13:10:22
ID: 1752984

The Boss has laid down strict rules for attendees of Springsteen on Broadway, which reopens on 26 June at the St James theatre. For admission, ticketholders must be able to prove they have received one of the three Covid-19 vaccinations with emergency use authorisation from the US Food and Drug Administration: the two-dose Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines, or the single-shot Johnson & Johnson.

This means those who have had doses of the AstraZeneca-Oxford jab, which is not approved for use in the US but is popular in Canada, the UK and other countries, will not be allowed in for what the show’s producers are billing “an intimate night with Bruce, his guitar, a piano and his stories”.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jun/18/bruce-springsteen-vaccine-astrazeneca-broadway

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 13:23:27
ID: 1752989

sarahs mum said:

The Boss has laid down strict rules for attendees of Springsteen on Broadway, which reopens on 26 June at the St James theatre. For admission, ticketholders must be able to prove they have received one of the three Covid-19 vaccinations with emergency use authorisation from the US Food and Drug Administration: the two-dose Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines, or the single-shot Johnson & Johnson.

This means those who have had doses of the AstraZeneca-Oxford jab, which is not approved for use in the US but is popular in Canada, the UK and other countries, will not be allowed in for what the show’s producers are billing “an intimate night with Bruce, his guitar, a piano and his stories”.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jun/18/bruce-springsteen-vaccine-astrazeneca-broadway

Ah well. There will have to be a next timer.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 13:42:12
ID: 1752996

Bandung, Indonesia
Exhausted gravediggers rest between funerals at a cemetery designated for Covid-19 victims in Bandung as infection numbers soar in Indonesia

Photograph: Timur Matahari/AFP/Getty Images

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 13:45:27
ID: 1752998

sarahs mum said:

Bandung, Indonesia
Exhausted gravediggers rest between funerals at a cemetery designated for Covid-19 victims in Bandung as infection numbers soar in Indonesia

Photograph: Timur Matahari/AFP/Getty Images

The cleanest looking grave diggers that I’ve ever seen.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 13:47:26
ID: 1752999

Is this a 4th wave yet?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 14:25:48
ID: 1753011

party_pants said:

Is this a 4th wave yet?

But, but…haven’t they got a good level of vaccination under their belts now?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 14:26:32
ID: 1753013

party_pants said:

Is this a 4th wave yet?

What’s the daily deaths chart look like?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 14:28:07
ID: 1753015

Peak Warming Man said:

party_pants said:

Is this a 4th wave yet?

What’s the daily deaths chart look like?

Here you go:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 14:28:33
ID: 1753017

buffy said:

party_pants said:

Is this a 4th wave yet?

But, but…haven’t they got a good level of vaccination under their belts now?

I don’t know anyone who is fully vaccinated IRL.

Today I met a woman who has lost many friends and family members in India. She told me she phones every day and every day there are more to add to the list :(

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 14:34:35
ID: 1753021

My Journal – Day 412

I did it. I got my second jab today – that AZ one, too. Let’s see if I die.

My Journal – Day 413

Hmm – I feel quite OK, no issues. I’d better wait…

My Journal – Day 416

Hey! I’m fine! Another 10 days and I’ll be fully vaccinated! That’s a load off my mind.

(Walks outside… whereupon he is instantly killed by a falling grand piano)

>>>> boom tish! <<<<<<

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 14:40:43
ID: 1753025

Obviousman said:

My Journal – Day 412

My Journal – Day 413

My Journal – Day 416

Hey! I’m fine! Another 10 days and I’ll be fully vaccinated! That’s a load off my mind.

>>>> boom tish! <<<<<<

And you can’t be vaccinates against grand pianos……well you can if you are leaning on one when vaccinated I suppose.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 14:50:18
ID: 1753038

Peak Warming Man said:

Obviousman said:

My Journal – Day 412

My Journal – Day 413

My Journal – Day 416

>>>> boom tish! <<<<<<

And you can’t be vaccinates against grand pianos……well you can if you are leaning on one when vaccinated I suppose.

What was that book or movie that had someone who got injected with luck; for like 10 mins they were the luckiest person on Earth.

Stainless Steel Rat?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 14:54:34
ID: 1753042

Obviousman said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Obviousman said:

My Journal – Day 412

My Journal – Day 413

My Journal – Day 416

>>>> boom tish! <<<<<<

What was that book or movie that had someone who got injected with luck; for like 10 mins they were the luckiest person on Earth.

Stainless Steel Rat?

Not SSR.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 14:56:37
ID: 1753044

Obviousman said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Obviousman said:

My Journal – Day 412

My Journal – Day 413

My Journal – Day 416

>>>> boom tish! <<<<<<

Stainless Steel Rat?

Wasn’t that one of the harry potter books?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 14:57:41
ID: 1753046

btm said:

Obviousman said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Stainless Steel Rat?

It doesn’t ring a bell for the Potter books either.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 15:00:32
ID: 1753048

btm said:

Obviousman said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Stainless Steel Rat?

I know there were spells.

HANG ON!

I think it is one of the Piers Anthony books: one of the Incarnations of Immortality books.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 15:10:25
ID: 1753052

Obviousman said:

btm said:

Obviousman said:

Stainless Steel Rat?

HANG ON!

I think it is one of the Piers Anthony books: one of the Incarnations of Immortality books.

The Luck of Teela Brown by Larry Niven?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 15:15:33
ID: 1753053

btm said:

Obviousman said:

btm said:

HANG ON!

Also, a quick check online confirms that harry potter drinks liquid luck in The Half Blood Prince.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 15:20:34
ID: 1753054

btm said:

btm said:

Obviousman said:

HANG ON!

Also, a quick check online confirms that harry potter drinks liquid luck in The Half Blood Prince.

I’m replying before checking here, but I think it may be ‘On a Pale Horse’, where the guy kills Death, and takes his place.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 16:28:46
ID: 1753069

> you can’t be vaccinates against grand pianos……well you can if you are leaning on one when vaccinated I suppose.

Pity. We could do with a vaccination against grand pianos. Someone we know moving into a smaller apartment wants to dump one on us.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/06/2021 22:36:17
ID: 1753223

Namibia’s in trouble. Serious trouble.

At least Malaysia is looking slightly better this week.

Daily deaths in Brazil are on the rise again. Colombia is all-time maximum Covid deaths. So is Argentina.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/06/2021 01:50:08
ID: 1753232

wait we thought the whole idea of letting it rip was to kill off the fat lazy useless demented old people so we wouldn’t have waste resources looking after them

not to create a whole new 3 generations of them for the remaining 0 unaffected generations to burden themselves with

Reply Quote

Date: 20/06/2021 11:28:17
ID: 1753274

Seems increasingly like the sensible thing to do would be to extend quarantine to 3 weeks and build capacity for it, but when do they do sensible ¿

By Michael Doyle

More on Queensland’s new case

The woman arrived on June 5 and left hotel quarantine yesterday. 

She had been out in the community, travelling in a private shuttle bus to accommodation in Hamilton, north of Brisbane yesterday morning, before going to the DFO shopping centre near Brisbane airport in the afternoon.

Queensland Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said the risk to others was low.

“It’s really important — anyone who was at the DFO at the airport between 4:00pm and 4:30pm yesterday — they need to immediately isolate themselves wherever they are,” she said.

Queensland CHO Dr Jeannette Young says authorities are treating this case as a Delta variant

Dr Young said:

On the flight that she was on when she returned from Dubai to Brisbane, and Emirates flight, there was a passenger who tested positive for the Delta variant and she was a contact of the passenger. That is the most likely source. But we will find that out when we get the whole gene sequencing back. That is why I assume that it is Delta and that is why I am taking a cautious approach.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/06/2021 11:29:17
ID: 1753275

Gold Standard

NSW had 24,468 yests yesterday, which Premier Gladys Bereijiklian said was not bad

Yesterday, the Health Minister said he was not happy with 26,000 tests

Clarifying the new cases in NSW

Two locally acquired cases were recorded in the 24 hours to 8pm last night, one of which was a man in his 30s who was announced yesterday morning. The other case is a household contact of his.

Since 8:00pm last night, NSW Health recorded two more additional cases of locally acquired transmission. These two cases will be officially recorded in tomorrow’s numbers. 

Reply Quote

Date: 20/06/2021 11:46:30
ID: 1753280

UK pushes for fully vaccinated to be exempt from Covid self-isolation

“We know that the vaccine, particularly after two doses, is highly effective at stopping you from getting seriously ill, 20 times less likely to end up in hospital.

“We also know that it will reduce your chances of getting milder illness and infecting other people, but it’s probably less good at doing that than it is preventing you getting seriously ill, so it’s a kind of balance of risk thing.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/19/uk-pushes-for-fully-vaccinated-to-be-exempt-from-covid-self-isolation

LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 20/06/2021 12:01:33
ID: 1753282

SCIENCE said:

UK pushes for fully vaccinated to be exempt from Covid self-isolation

“We know that the vaccine, particularly after two doses, is highly effective at stopping you from getting seriously ill, 20 times less likely to end up in hospital.

“We also know that it will reduce your chances of getting milder illness and infecting other people, but it’s probably less good at doing that than it is preventing you getting seriously ill, so it’s a kind of balance of risk thing.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/19/uk-pushes-for-fully-vaccinated-to-be-exempt-from-covid-self-isolation

LOL

what they do in their own country …

Reply Quote

Date: 20/06/2021 12:36:23
ID: 1753303

https://www.sciencealert.com/mounting-evidence-suggests-covid-19-was-spreading-in-the-us-by-december-2019

Reply Quote

Date: 20/06/2021 12:41:45
ID: 1753304

https://www.michaelwest.com.au/governments-appalling-error-rejects-offer-of-40-million-pfizer-doses-in-july-2020/

Reply Quote

Date: 20/06/2021 12:45:09
ID: 1753307

Bogsnorkler said:

https://www.michaelwest.com.au/governments-appalling-error-rejects-offer-of-40-million-pfizer-doses-in-july-2020/

Bloody!

Reply Quote

Date: 20/06/2021 12:57:50
ID: 1753314

SCIENCE said:

Seems increasingly like the sensible thing to do would be to extend quarantine to 3 weeks and build capacity for it, but when do they do sensible ¿

By Michael Doyle

More on Queensland’s new case

The woman arrived on June 5 and left hotel quarantine yesterday. 

She had been out in the community, travelling in a private shuttle bus to accommodation in Hamilton, north of Brisbane yesterday morning, before going to the DFO shopping centre near Brisbane airport in the afternoon.

Queensland Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said the risk to others was low.

“It’s really important — anyone who was at the DFO at the airport between 4:00pm and 4:30pm yesterday — they need to immediately isolate themselves wherever they are,” she said.

Queensland CHO Dr Jeannette Young says authorities are treating this case as a Delta variant

Dr Young said:

On the flight that she was on when she returned from Dubai to Brisbane, and Emirates flight, there was a passenger who tested positive for the Delta variant and she was a contact of the passenger. That is the most likely source. But we will find that out when we get the whole gene sequencing back. That is why I assume that it is Delta and that is why I am taking a cautious approach.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-20/queensland-coronavirus-one-new-case/100228090

Reply Quote

Date: 20/06/2021 13:06:59
ID: 1753315

Michael V said:

“https://www.sciencealert.com/mounting-evidence-suggests-covid-19-was-spreading-in-the-us-by-december-2019”

damn we’ve always said those spies from CHINA must be geniuses, they were able to spread it around in the USSA before they leaked it in their own home base and then introduce it to some bats in a wet market, just to make it look even more like a a laboratory accident and not a behind-the-lines act of biological warfare

Reply Quote

Date: 20/06/2021 13:13:43
ID: 1753316

Michael V said:

Bogsnorkler said:

Bloody!

Very bloody bloody.

But how good is AZ?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/06/2021 13:16:16
ID: 1753317

Ian said:

Michael V said:
Bogsnorkler said:

Bloody!

Very bloody bloody.

But how good is AZ?

note of course that for months people claiming stuff like this

Sources say it appears the government decided to go with AZ for financial reasons. It was cheaper and AstraZeneca was allowing CSL to manufacture the vaccine in Melbourne. Studies have since shown the AZ vaccine to be far less effective against certain strains of COVID emerging from South Africa.

were laughed out of town

Reply Quote

Date: 20/06/2021 13:16:34
ID: 1753318

Seems there is quite a gap between excess deaths and reported Covid deaths in Hungary this year.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/06/2021 13:20:10
ID: 1753319

dv said:

Seems there is quite a gap between excess deaths and reported Covid deaths in Hungary this year.

must have been the suicides and the car crashes and the lockdown poverty starvation

Reply Quote

Date: 20/06/2021 13:29:56
ID: 1753322

SCIENCE said:

dv said:

must have been the suicides and the car crashes and the lockdown poverty starvation

Lot of people having pianos dropped on their heads

Reply Quote

Date: 20/06/2021 13:31:23
ID: 1753323

dv said:

SCIENCE said:

dv said:

ACME pianos…

Reply Quote

Date: 20/06/2021 13:33:31
ID: 1753324

Reply Quote

Date: 20/06/2021 13:37:57
ID: 1753327

Michael V said:

dv said:

SCIENCE said:

ACME pianos…

You’re right, we mean ACNE caused by face mask wearing being compulsory ¡

Reply Quote