Date: 15/06/2021 09:54:46
ID: 1751492
Subject: Swapping paint

When two cars bump into each other, there’s often paint from the first car on the second car, and vice-versa.

How is paint swapped like that?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/06/2021 10:15:33
ID: 1751496
Subject: re: Swapping paint

Spiny Norman said:

When two cars bump into each other, there’s often paint from the first car on the second car, and vice-versa.

Energy from the impact fragmenting pieces onto the parts that make contact maybe

Reply Quote

Date: 15/06/2021 11:05:34
ID: 1751509

Cymek said:

Spiny Norman said:

Energy from the impact fragmenting pieces onto the parts that make contact maybe

Physics. Everything is physics. Friction?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/06/2021 11:18:39
ID: 1751516

buffy said:

Cymek said:

Spiny Norman said:

Physics. Everything is physics. Friction?

I suppose friction comes into it, but I’d say the main cause was conservation of momentum and the second law of motion.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/06/2021 13:32:49
ID: 1751565

Locard’s exchange principle.. every contact leaves a trace.. “with contact between two items, there will be an exchange.”

but I suspect you mean for a physic perspective.. car paint is in layers, so the catching of one layer on another might result in transferral of paint chips/shards.. then rubbing would also cause some exchange at the fragment level… like a smear

Reply Quote

Date: 15/06/2021 14:58:38
ID: 1751623

you mean like how a rubber will pick up pencil from paper but also leave rubber on paper

Reply Quote

Date: 15/06/2021 16:44:08
ID: 1751661

that’s the general vibe of Locard’s principle… it’s used mainly in forensic investigation, but it’s applicable to all manner of circumstances.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/06/2021 17:08:42
ID: 1751671

Arts said:

that’s the general vibe of Locard’s principle… it’s used mainly in forensic investigation, but it’s applicable to all manner of circumstances.

For the benefit of the less forensically knowledgeable amongst us:

“Locard’s principle holds that the perpetrator of a crime will bring something into the crime scene and leave with something from it, and that both can be used as forensic evidence.”

Reply Quote

Date: 15/06/2021 17:11:23
ID: 1751672

oops again.

I should probably read a couple of posts up, before posting valuable new information.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/06/2021 17:14:46
ID: 1751674

The Rev Dodgson said:

The Rev Dodgson said:
Arts said:

For the benefit of the less forensically knowledgeable amongst us:

“Locard’s principle holds that the perpetrator of a crime will bring something into the crime scene and leave with something from it, and that both can be used as forensic evidence.”

oops again.

I should probably read a couple of posts up, before posting valuable new information.

but surely this is a mere instance of the general principle of quantum mechanics, whereby any agent of an interaction will introduce information to a system, and simultaneously extract information from the system, and both can (must in concert) be used as scientific evidence

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 10:24:10
ID: 1751862

The Rev Dodgson said:

Doing that now. I agree with Cymek that cracking and fragmentation is the dominant mechanism, followed in importance by friction and gouging. But depending on the impact angle it could be the other way around.

I was removing a top layer of paint from powder-coated metal yesterday, and brittle cracking and fragmentation using a scraper was a much easier way to get the paint off than sandpapering.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 10:28:18
ID: 1751864

mollwollfumble said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Doing that now. I agree with Cymek that cracking and fragmentation is the dominant mechanism, followed in importance by friction and gouging. But depending on the impact angle it could be the other way around.

I was removing a top layer of paint from powder-coated metal yesterday, and brittle cracking and fragmentation using a scraper was a much easier way to get the paint off than sandpapering.

I think that there’s a couple of episodes in the various ‘CSI’ series that cover this topic. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 10:34:44
ID: 1751866

captain_spalding said:

mollwollfumble said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

I think that there’s a couple of episodes in the various ‘CSI’ series that cover this topic. :)

Yes they zoomed in and enhanced from a reflection of a reflection in a puddle

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 10:46:13
ID: 1751869

Cymek said:

captain_spalding said:

mollwollfumble said:

don’t get me started.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 10:47:41
ID: 1751870

Arts said:

Cymek said:

captain_spalding said:

don’t get me started.

Why not? You get better as you warm up.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 10:53:16
ID: 1751871

roughbarked said:

Arts said:

Cymek said:

don’t get me started.

dude.. seriously?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 10:56:48
ID: 1751872

Arts said:

roughbarked said:

Arts said:

don’t get me started.

dude.. seriously?

Of course not.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 11:01:43
ID: 1751873

Arts said:

Cymek said:

captain_spalding said:

don’t get me started.

Could you post the science and technology behind it please, it sounds interesting, magical almost

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 11:07:19
ID: 1751875

Cymek said:

Arts said:

Cymek said:

don’t get me started.

Could you post the science and technology behind it please, it sounds interesting, magical almost

yes: it’s bullshit.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 11:09:46
ID: 1751878

Arts said:

Cymek said:

Arts said:

don’t get me started.

I know I’m being cheeky

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 11:12:18
ID: 1751879

Arts said:

Cymek said:

Arts said:

don’t get me started.

Your just jealous cos you don’t have fancy machines with the coloured lights!

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 11:16:24
ID: 1751883

Bogsnorkler said:

Arts said:

Cymek said:

ping

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 11:16:56
ID: 1751884

Bogsnorkler said:

Arts said:

Cymek said:

imagine how great it would be if we could solve shit in an hour and with machines that go ping…

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 11:18:30
ID: 1751885

Arts said:

Bogsnorkler said:

Arts said:

imagine how great it would be if we could solve shit in an hour and with machines that go ping…

You need the World’s Experts in everything.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 13:18:56
ID: 1751929

mollwollfumble said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

I was of the impression that the “damage” was no worse than “a paint exchange”
so I left you to argue the mechanics of said transfer without stating what I thought was obvious:
A superficial kiss of the top clear & top coat could be easily RUBBED AWAY by using
Rubbing Compound.
https://www.turtlewax.com/products/rubbing-compound-heavy-duty-cleaner-105fl-oz

depending upon the depth of the damage (scratches) more steps may need to be employed:
https://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Rubbing-Compound

NOTE: RUBBING Compound is Different from POLISHING Compound

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 17:30:10
ID: 1752008

Arts said:

but I suspect you mean for a physic perspective.. car paint is in layers, so the catching of one layer on another might result in transferral of paint chips/shards.. then rubbing would also cause some exchange at the fragment level… like a smear

That’s more what I’m asking, thanks.
I also thought that perhaps the paint on one car might get hotter than the paint on the contact patch of the other car and so leave a streak of (say) red paint on the (say) other white car. Then at some point the other car’s paint gets hotter and starts leaving a trail on the other car. Repeat as long as there’s contact.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/06/2021 19:27:02
ID: 1752068

Spiny Norman said:

Arts said:

That’s more what I’m asking, thanks.
I also thought that perhaps the paint on one car might get hotter than the paint on the contact patch of the other car and so leave a streak of (say) red paint on the (say) other white car. Then at some point the other car’s paint gets hotter and starts leaving a trail on the other car. Repeat as long as there’s contact.

Auto-Motive STD

Reply Quote

Date: 2/07/2021 17:05:33
ID: 1759079

I’m going to call it ‘Friction stir’, after the welding technique of the same name.

(did it to a corner of the Rulemobile on a yellow post the other morning. Felt the weight of the forum’s reputation for being excellent drivers crashing down upon me. Not happy)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/07/2021 17:07:16
ID: 1759082

Rule 303 said:

I’m going to call it ‘Friction stir’, after the welding technique of the same name.

(did it to a corner of the Rulemobile on a yellow post the other morning. Felt the weight of the forum’s reputation for being excellent drivers crashing down upon me. Not happy)

It was obviously the post’s fault, not yours. It should not have tried to emulate those roadside trees that jump out and grab cars. (Yes, too long living with an ambo…)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/07/2021 17:12:48
ID: 1759091

buffy said:

Rule 303 said:

It was obviously the post’s fault, not yours. It should not have tried to emulate those roadside trees that jump out and grab cars. (Yes, too long living with an ambo…)

Richard Brautigan wrote of such things
I’m still looking for that book so I can copy the prose.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/07/2021 17:14:01
ID: 1759093

buffy said:

Rule 303 said:

Don’t mean to sound like I’m pouting, but I have complained about this particular facility multiple times that entering and leaving three side-by-side vehicle bays through one narrow door is guaranteed to cause low-speed maneuvering crashes. Yep.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/07/2021 17:25:03
ID: 1759115

surely anyone who has acquired gravel rash knows that the gravel also acquires flesh rash

Reply Quote