Date: 24/09/2021 13:45:23
ID: 1794597
Subject: The generals

I’m just starting to read about ancient Rome again, and happened to notice how closely the military was tied in with the government.

Which made me wonder. I usually think of Government as a battle between the politicians and the beaurocracy, as satirised in that TV documentary series “Yes Minister”.

But there are a lot of governments around the world in which the military plays a large role, either directly (eg. Fiji, Myanmar, Israel) or indirectly where world leaders are ex-servicemen (or intelligence officers).

Generals play a big role in US government. Less so in Australia.

So, thinking of government as a three-proged affair: politicians+bureaucracy+military, who are the generals?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/09/2021 13:50:09
ID: 1794599
Subject: re: The generals

mollwollfumble said:

I’m just starting to read about ancient Rome again, and happened to notice how closely the military was tied in with the government.

Which made me wonder. I usually think of Government as a battle between the politicians and the beaurocracy, as satirised in that TV documentary series “Yes Minister”.

But there are a lot of governments around the world in which the military plays a large role, either directly (eg. Fiji, Myanmar, Israel) or indirectly where world leaders are ex-servicemen (or intelligence officers).

So, thinking of government as a three-proged affair: politicians+bureaucracy+military, who are the generals?

Joint Chiefs of Staff ?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/09/2021 15:27:36
ID: 1794627

Hello there!

Reply Quote

Date: 24/09/2021 15:29:40
ID: 1794630

dv said:

Hello there!

Is that a generalisation?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/09/2021 15:31:07
ID: 1794633

Michael V said:

dv said:

Hello there!

Is that a generalisation?

Something like that

Reply Quote

Date: 24/09/2021 15:32:44
ID: 1794636

It took we a while to reply as everything on my desk was a mess and I couldn’t find the keyboard

Reply Quote

Date: 25/09/2021 04:52:59
ID: 1794857

Cymek said:

mollwollfumble said:

Joint Chiefs of Staff ?

Yes. What is their attitude and how does it affect government?

Reply Quote

Date: 25/09/2021 07:07:48
ID: 1794861

mollwollfumble said:

Cymek said:

mollwollfumble said:

Joint Chiefs of Staff ?

In Australia, the military/armed forces have no political role or outlook.

They don’t have a political stance, they don’t try to exert influence over government policies, or pursue and political, geo-political, or policy agendas of their own.

They, through, the Defence Force Staff, can advise and assist the government of the day in formulating and implementing its policies, but have no partisan preferences. Their job is to support the government, and to help it make the best decisions in the running of, the equipping of, and the use of the defence forces.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/09/2021 07:52:52
ID: 1794867

captain_spalding said:

mollwollfumble said:

Cymek said:

Joint Chiefs of Staff ?

They don’t have a political stance, they don’t try to exert influence over government policies, or pursue and political, geo-political, or policy agendas of their own.

They, through, the Defence Force Staff, can advise and assist the government of the day in formulating and implementing its policies, but have no partisan preferences. Their job is to support the government, and to help it make the best decisions in the running of, the equipping of, and the use of the defence forces.

^^^

Reply Quote

Date: 25/09/2021 07:59:25
ID: 1794870

Michael V said:

captain_spalding said:

mollwollfumble said:

^^^

Australia isn’t a military state.
Others may be.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/09/2021 19:36:26
ID: 1795218

roughbarked said:

Australia isn’t a military state.
Others may be.

Agree, but what would be the mindset of Australia’s and the US’s generals?

Would they tend more towards the “average Joe” mindset or more towards the “extreme military” mindset?

By “extreme military” mindset I would include:

Throughout andient Rome, WWI and WWII, all generals have held to these opinions. I’m wondering whether such private opinions remain during peacetime.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/09/2021 20:28:11
ID: 1795232

Russia’s best general was General Winter.
Defeated Napoleon and Hitler

Reply Quote

Date: 25/09/2021 20:36:07
ID: 1795233

Peak Warming Man said:

Hitler defeated Hitler in Russia.

I recommend Anthony Beevor’s ‘Stalingrad’.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/09/2021 20:38:08
ID: 1795234

captain_spalding said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Hitler defeated Hitler in Russia.

I recommend Anthony Beevor’s ‘Stalingrad’.

Hitler tended to take personal charge of things. When he left war to the generals things went well, when he intervened they went not so well.

Reply Quote