Date: 23/01/2022 12:42:19
ID: 1839597
Subject: Shaving Advice

Thinking of getting rid of my beard & moustache entirely in this mask-wearing era.

IMO I look better with the facial hair but since no-one outside the family gets to see my face these days, it doesn’t really matter.

Mask-wearing will be more comfortable and secure, and probably less hot, without the hair.

Trouble is I haven’t been clean-shaven for decades and don’t really know which is the best kind of razor or machine to use these days, to maintain such a look.

I currently use an old-fashioned safety razor (made in Poland) for the bits of face I do shave, but I doubt it would be the best choice for full-face shaving.

As for electric shavers, I remember finding them somehow inadequate but they may have improved by now. I have fairly tough facial hair.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 12:51:07
ID: 1839604
Subject: re: Shaving Advice

This one seems a popular purchase with good reviews:

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 12:52:56
ID: 1839605

Bubblecar said:

This one seems a popular purchase with good reviews:

That type lasts longer than the straight foil type units. And when the foil starts to fail it also starts slicing your face up.
It’s not as much fun after the first time it happens.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 12:54:03
ID: 1839606

Bubblecar said:

Thinking of getting rid of my beard & moustache entirely in this mask-wearing era.

IMO I look better with the facial hair but since no-one outside the family gets to see my face these days, it doesn’t really matter.

Mask-wearing will be more comfortable and secure, and probably less hot, without the hair.

Trouble is I haven’t been clean-shaven for decades and don’t really know which is the best kind of razor or machine to use these days, to maintain such a look.

I currently use an old-fashioned safety razor (made in Poland) for the bits of face I do shave, but I doubt it would be the best choice for full-face shaving.

As for electric shavers, I remember finding them somehow inadequate but they may have improved by now. I have fairly tough facial hair.

I, too, like to keep the facial hair down. Particularly as my mask is designed to be supported firmly on the philtrum above the upper lip, allowing comfort over the nose and freedom of movement of the lower jaw. A moustache gets in the way.

What I do lately is:

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 12:59:08
ID: 1839608

You can get rogered and burnt, I’m not telling you anything.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 12:59:52
ID: 1839610

Peak Warming Man said:

Sorry sorry, I thought that was Sharing Advice.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 13:00:01
ID: 1839611

Peak Warming Man said:

Thanks for telling us that.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 13:02:39
ID: 1839614

I used to have an electric razor, but when that stopped working I went back to razor shave and realised that the benefit of an electric razor was about -0.05.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 13:06:35
ID: 1839617

Don’t use an electric shaver, the small particles enter your throat and lungs and can cause long term health issues.
Always use soap and water or a PWM approved shaving cream and use a Gillett three blade shaving device.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 13:07:39
ID: 1839619

Peak Warming Man said:

Don’t use an electric shaver, the small particles enter your throat and lungs and can cause long term health issues.
Always use soap and water or a PWM approved shaving cream and use a Gillett three blade shaving device.

Always talks sense, that PW Man man.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 13:17:37
ID: 1839623

Peak Warming Man said:

This one?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 13:22:27
ID: 1839626

Bubblecar said:

Peak Warming Man said:

This one?

Perfect.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 13:55:13
ID: 1839633

Peak Warming Man said:

… unless your skin is susceptible to ingrown hairs or other shaving irritation. If it is, use a twin (or even single) blade shaver. The more blades, the further beneath the skin surface the hair can be cut, which sounds good, but it isn’t.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 13:58:00
ID: 1839635

Bubblecar said:

Peak Warming Man said:

This one?

That is the one Mr buffy uses. This I know because I needed very precise instructions on the shopping list recently.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 14:07:17
ID: 1839644

I use an electric razor, PHILIPS brand. I do still have a beard and mustache, but I keep these neatly trimmed with an electric beard trimmer, usually about a No, 7 cut once a week. I find that wearing a face mask over a neatly trimmed beard is no drama.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 14:17:39
ID: 1839654

The Rev Dodgson said:

I used to have an electric razor, but when that stopped working I went back to razor shave and realised that the benefit of an electric razor was about -0.05.

+1 Scissors to bring it into range of a throw away razor and the a few quick swipes and you are done. Nil electricity bills.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 14:22:39
ID: 1839660

roughbarked said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

+1 Scissors to bring it into range of a throw away razor and the a few quick swipes and you are done. Nil electricity bills.

A quick BOTE suggests that even a relatively long shave with an electric razor should cost you about a quarter of a cent.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 14:23:47
ID: 1839661

sibeen said:

roughbarked said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

A quick BOTE suggests that even a relatively long shave with an electric razor should cost you about a quarter of a cent.

Who gives a rats? ;) I haven’t shaved in fifty years at least.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 14:24:38
ID: 1839663

sibeen said:

roughbarked said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

A year’s shaving for one dollar!

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 14:26:32
ID: 1839665

Michael V said:

sibeen said:

roughbarked said:

A year’s shaving for one dollar!

A dollar saved is a dolllar earned.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 15:52:49
ID: 1839697

Bubblecar said:

Peak Warming Man said:

This one?

I recently moved away from these accursed devices because I was losing more and more epidermis to them.

Straight foil electric shaver now.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 20:47:58
ID: 1839814

sibeen said:

roughbarked said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Out of interest, how much should it cost to run an average 3-speed pedestal fan for an hour on speed 2?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 20:50:06
ID: 1839815

Bubblecar said:

sibeen said:

roughbarked said:

Out of interest, how much should it cost to run an average 3-speed pedestal fan for an hour on speed 2?

not much at all very energy efficient

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 20:55:59
ID: 1839818

monkey skipper said:

Bubblecar said:

sibeen said:

I hope so.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 20:57:09
ID: 1839819

Bubblecar said:

monkey skipper said:

Bubblecar said:

I hope so.

link to model?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 21:03:11
ID: 1839820

JudgeMental said:

Bubblecar said:

monkey skipper said:

I hope so.

link to model?

It’s an Arlec 40cm pedestal fan (black).

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 21:03:29
ID: 1839821

Bubblecar said:

JudgeMental said:

Bubblecar said:

I hope so.

link to model?

…5 blades.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 21:04:44
ID: 1839822

Bubblecar said:

JudgeMental said:

Bubblecar said:

I hope so.

link to model?

50W, so can run it for 20 hours approx for 1 unit of electricity.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 21:06:57
ID: 1839823

JudgeMental said:

Bubblecar said:

JudgeMental said:

link to model?

So how much is a unit?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 21:07:34
ID: 1839824

Bubblecar said:

JudgeMental said:

Bubblecar said:

So how much is a unit?

look at your power bill.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 21:12:33
ID: 1839826

I see, a unit is the same as a kWh.

So that’s about 25c per unit.

Seems remarkably cheap.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 21:12:36
ID: 1839827

Bubblecar said:

sibeen said:

roughbarked said:

No more than 2 cents.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/01/2022 21:14:50
ID: 1839830

sibeen said:

Bubblecar said:

sibeen said:

No more than 2 cents.

Jolly good.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/01/2022 12:10:52
ID: 1840400

I’d be buying a good shaver, because once you start, you’ll continue so may as well do it with the better razor/shaver instead of the disposables that will cost you a lot in the long run.. unless, of course, they tell us tomorrow that we will never have to wear a mask again…

Reply Quote

Date: 25/01/2022 12:48:33
ID: 1840420

Arts said:

I’d be buying a good shaver, because once you start, you’ll continue so may as well do it with the better razor/shaver instead of the disposables that will cost you a lot in the long run.. unless, of course, they tell us tomorrow that we will never have to wear a mask again…

I’ll probably get an electric shaver and one of the recommended razors, to compare.

But not for a couple weeks or so. My and my beard need a bit more time together.

Reply Quote