Date: 24/01/2022 19:18:12
ID: 1840145
Subject: Propaganda

I was surprised to see the word “propaganda” used in its modern negative sense in the year 1935, so decided to look it up in the OED.

The origins were not all all as I expected.

“Propaganda” is the Roman Catholic Church. And began its use in that sense at least as early as the year 1668.

So we talk about the “Roman Propaganda”, the “Congregation of the Propaganda”, the “Italian missionary of the Propganda”,
“was educated at the Propaganda at Rome”

“theological professor at the College of Propaganda” is a quote from 1911. The word “Propaganda” had not in any sense a negative meaning.

“he attended the College of the Propaganda in Rome” comes from as recently as 1998.

In a negative sense we have this from 1929 “The term propaganda has not the sinister meaning in Europe which it has acquired in America. In European business offices the word means advertising or boosting generally.”

So it seems that the negative sense was invented in the USA. I wonder who by? And for that matter, why, in order to pretend that advertising is not evil?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/01/2022 19:31:44
ID: 1840150
Subject: re: Propaganda

The OED’s first cite in the pejorative sense is from Thomas Carlisle, 1822.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/01/2022 08:33:21
ID: 1840721

mollwollfumble said:

I was surprised to see the word “propaganda” used in its modern negative sense in the year 1935, so decided to look it up in the OED.

The origins were not all all as I expected.

“Propaganda” is the Roman Catholic Church. And began its use in that sense at least as early as the year 1668.

So we talk about the “Roman Propaganda”, the “Congregation of the Propaganda”, the “Italian missionary of the Propganda”,
“was educated at the Propaganda at Rome”

“theological professor at the College of Propaganda” is a quote from 1911. The word “Propaganda” had not in any sense a negative meaning.

“he attended the College of the Propaganda in Rome” comes from as recently as 1998.

In a negative sense we have this from 1929 “The term propaganda has not the sinister meaning in Europe which it has acquired in America. In European business offices the word means advertising or boosting generally.”

So it seems that the negative sense was invented in the USA. I wonder who by? And for that matter, why, in order to pretend that advertising is not evil?

OK, I’m killing time waiting for a food delivery
so I might as well jump in (since no one else has):

I’ve long considered organized religion (particularly the Cat-Lick one)
to be consider Propaganda… whereas the above hints at TEACHINGS
I find it beyond laughable that all these falling on their face religious types
who swear-and-be-damned toward the “God Given” LAWS Of MOSES
never stopped long enough to piece together that granted although he was
Born A Jew, etched from the waters and RAISED By a member of the Egyptian
Royal Family … who Ruled by threats of everlasting torment in A Fabricated Afterlife
wouldn’t use the same time-tested methods to control an unruly mob as he lead them to
“A Promised Land”.

the authority to perform these tasks was controlled by the pharaoh , who claimed to be the gods’
representative and managed the temples where the rituals were carried out. …etc etc…

In an early thread the topic was broached concerning “The NOAH Myth” to which I linked
to the much more ancient re-Creation STORY called the Lay of Gilgamesh …which by no small
coincidence was introduced “as Gospel Truth” in the 1st Book of BS by HOLY Moses.

So… “PROPAGANDA”? sure sounds rite to me.

Call me a cynic …but I’ve long said there’s no difference whatsoever between
“In The Beginning…” and “Once, Upon A Time…”
…or the more modernized version of, “No Shit! There I Was!” O-8=

still waiting for my eats;

so I’ll add the yet more modern version, IMPROPER-Gada; “Trust Me! I WON The ELECTION!”

Reply Quote

Date: 26/01/2022 08:38:24
ID: 1840722

fixt link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_deities

Reply Quote

Date: 26/01/2022 08:41:13
ID: 1840724

fukt if i know why a link directly taken from a reference doesn’t wash elsewhere

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilgamesh

Reply Quote

Date: 26/01/2022 08:46:58
ID: 1840726

might as well make it a 3 fer

Reply Quote

Date: 26/01/2022 08:49:22
ID: 1840728

I’m sure we’d all prefer not to see that face anymore.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/01/2022 10:52:04
ID: 1840776

roughbarked said:

let us pray

Reply Quote

Date: 26/01/2022 10:53:26
ID: 1840778

Ogmog said:

roughbarked said:

let us pray

You know how far that will get us don’t you.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/01/2022 14:53:46
ID: 1840855

roughbarked said:

Ogmog said:

roughbarked said:

let us pray

You know how far that will get us don’t you.

lol talk about a circular argument

Reply Quote

Date: 26/01/2022 16:21:26
ID: 1840890

Checking use of the word “propaganda” in Australian newspapers.
Peeling them off by decades.

1826 “protection and assistance of the Sacred Congregation de Propaganda Fide”
1831 “Grand European Council of Propaganda, at Paris”
1840 “This result is due to the Cardinal Perfect of the Propaganda”
1850 “With such men as Kossuth and Bern and with the Polish propaganda they represent”
1865 “The Church. THE PROPAGANDA—DISTRIBUTION OF PRIZES. On the 31st September this college distributed”
1879 “A Scientific Propaganda. We have received the programme of a singular propaganda”
1886 “LIBERAL PROPAGANDA. The prospectus of the Nation. Liberal Printing and Publishing Association”
1896 “A propaganda has been issued forbidding French Monastic Orders to found”
1902 “university students who are conducting an active revolutionary propaganda”
1914 to 1918 “pernicious propaganda … German propaganda … good propaganda”
1918 “systematized propaganda regarding the war aims of Australia, is a necessary one”
1918 “ANARCHIST PROPAGANDA. LONDON, Wednesday.—A United Service message from Petrograd states”
1924 “it is really liquor propaganda paid for at so much per inch”
1927 “the great raid on the headquarters of Russian trade in London has not yet been justified, it can merely be shown that the building was the centre of peaceful propaganda”
1933 “There will never be a time that we are free from propaganda or its influence”
1937 “Propaganda America, the home of many weird movements, now has an Institute for Propaganda Analysis”
1938 “the propaganda used by Germany and Italy against Britain, it certainly was not very effective.”
1939 “British propaganda, handled by the Ministry of Information”
1941 “Inspriation in our Factories provides proof of the value of propaganda in war Industries”
1945 “the grant of £5000 was political propaganda to win soldiers’ votes”
1949 with “the rise and fall of Hitler, we should by now be able to recognise propaganda when we see it”
1952 “Soviet spent 10 times as much money on propaganda as the United States”

(Of couse, this last quote is totally untrue, it’s pure United States military propaganda).

In the above quotes we can see the church-based use being less important after 1870 and dying out by 1900.
Thereafter it becomes primaily political. Both positive and negative.
And then military. Both positive and negative, positive if paid for by our government and negative if paid for by any other government.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/01/2022 16:33:58
ID: 1840899

mollwollfumble said:

1840 “This result is due to the Cardinal Perfect of the Propaganda”
1850 “With such men as Kossuth and Bern and with the Polish propaganda they represent”
1865 “The Church. THE PROPAGANDA—DISTRIBUTION OF PRIZES. On the 31st September this college distributed”
1879 “A Scientific Propaganda. We have received the programme of a singular propaganda”
1886 “LIBERAL PROPAGANDA. The prospectus of the Nation. Liberal Printing and Publishing Association”
1896 “A propaganda has been issued forbidding French Monastic Orders to found”
1902 “university students who are conducting an active revolutionary propaganda”
1914 to 1918 “pernicious propaganda … German propaganda … good propaganda”
1918 “systematized propaganda regarding the war aims of Australia, is a necessary one”
1918 “ANARCHIST PROPAGANDA. LONDON, Wednesday.—A United Service message from Petrograd states”
1924 “it is really liquor propaganda paid for at so much per inch”
1927 “the great raid on the headquarters of Russian trade in London has not yet been justified, it can merely be shown that the building was the centre of peaceful propaganda”
1933 “There will never be a time that we are free from propaganda or its influence”
1937 “Propaganda America, the home of many weird movements, now has an Institute for Propaganda Analysis”
1938 “the propaganda used by Germany and Italy against Britain, it certainly was not very effective.”
1939 “British propaganda, handled by the Ministry of Information”
1941 “Inspriation in our Factories provides proof of the value of propaganda in war Industries”
1945 “the grant of £5000 was political propaganda to win soldiers’ votes”
1949 with “the rise and fall of Hitler, we should by now be able to recognise propaganda when we see it”

(Of couse, this last quote is totally untrue, it’s pure United States military propaganda).

In the above quotes we can see the church-based use being less important after 1870 and dying out by 1900.
Thereafter it becomes primaily political. Both positive and negative.
And then military. Both positive and negative, positive if paid for by our government and negative if paid for by any other government.

Of couse, this last quote is totally untrue, it’s pure United States military propaganda).

How do you know that?

Reply Quote

Date: 27/01/2022 03:33:24
ID: 1841052

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

< snip >

(Of course, this last quote is totally untrue, it’s pure United States military propaganda).

Thereafter it becomes primarily political. Both positive and negative.

Of course, this last quote is totally untrue, it’s pure United States military propaganda).

How do you know that?

because they’re so dedicated to the proposition
that all people, in every nation, has the right to
determine the way things are run by consensus
that they’re willing to kill anyone who disagrees.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/01/2022 10:27:03
ID: 1841070

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-21/mark-mcgowan-wa-border-opening-backflip-poses-risk-analysis/100771704

whoops wrong thread

Reply Quote

Date: 27/01/2022 10:58:50
ID: 1841075

transition said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-21/mark-mcgowan-wa-border-opening-backflip-poses-risk-analysis/100771704

whoops wrong thread

i’d rate it an expert level wrong thread example

Reply Quote

Date: 27/01/2022 11:09:30
ID: 1841080

Ogmog said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

< snip >

(Of course, this last quote is totally untrue, it’s pure United States military propaganda).

Thereafter it becomes primarily political. Both positive and negative.

Of course, this last quote is totally untrue, it’s pure United States military propaganda).

How do you know that?

Who are?

And what does that have to do with the question, which was about a specific amount of money spent on propoganda?

Reply Quote

Date: 27/01/2022 17:10:47
ID: 1841185

The Rev Dodgson said:

Ogmog said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

How do you know that?

Who are?

And what does that have to do with the question, which was about a specific amount of money spent on propoganda?

who they are: the US Military Complex
and the rich prix that finance them in order to attain/maintain power

Reply Quote

Date: 27/01/2022 17:16:25
ID: 1841188

Ogmog said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Ogmog said:

Who are?

Reptilians?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/01/2022 04:32:21
ID: 1841364

Ogmog said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Ogmog said:

Who are?

The worshipers of that ancient occult symbol – the pentagon.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/01/2022 07:58:29
ID: 1841373

I’m still waiting to see some evidence on the relative spending of USA and ussr in 1952 on propaganda.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/01/2022 08:54:49
ID: 1841383

The Rev Dodgson said:

I’m still waiting to see some evidence on the relative spending of USSA and ussr in 1952 on propaganda.

the more they spend the less they spend

Reply Quote

Date: 28/01/2022 09:11:35
ID: 1841392

SCIENCE said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

I’m still waiting to see some evidence on the relative spending of USSA and ussr in 1952 on propaganda.

atom bombs are impressive, not a few were tested, lot of testing, lot of messages in all that, powerful messages

Reply Quote

Date: 28/01/2022 09:13:59
ID: 1841395

SCIENCE said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Please show working.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/01/2022 09:22:29
ID: 1841400

transition said:

SCIENCE said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

atom bombs are impressive, not a few were tested, lot of testing, lot of messages in all that, powerful messages

Certainly we might say that all government spending sends a message of some sort, but to extend that to say that all government spending is propaganda is totally changing the accepted meaning of the word.

Moll suggested that the claim that USSR spent 10x more on propaganda than USA in 1952 was total nonsense, and to substantiate that he or his helpers have to use the most restrictive meaning of the word, not a ridiculously general one.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/01/2022 09:28:49
ID: 1841401

The Rev Dodgson said:

transition said:

SCIENCE said:

Certainly we might say that all government spending sends a message of some sort, but to extend that to say that all government spending is propaganda is totally changing the accepted meaning of the word.

Moll suggested that the claim that USSR spent 10x more on propaganda than USA in 1952 was total nonsense, and to substantiate that he or his helpers have to use the most restrictive meaning of the word, not a ridiculously general one.

The Internet says that propaganda means:
“information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view.”

I’d say in the context of this discussion the information has to be false or deliberately misleading to count as propaganda, rather than just advertising, self promotion, or similar.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/01/2022 09:32:28
ID: 1841403

The Rev Dodgson said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

transition said:

“information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view.”

I’d say in the context of this discussion the information has to be false or deliberately misleading to count as propaganda, rather than just advertising, self promotion, or similar.

The Brits cleverly invented James Bond & made money out of the propaganda business.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/01/2022 09:33:27
ID: 1841404

The Rev Dodgson said:

transition said:

SCIENCE said:

I certainly never indicated all government spending was propaganda

and maybe you stumbled upon something there, in accepted meaning of words

in unaccepted meaning, or unacceptable meaning, the more interesting dimension of the words you used

Reply Quote

Date: 28/01/2022 09:33:30
ID: 1841405

The Rev Dodgson said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

transition said:

Actually he said “this last quote is totally untrue, it’s pure United States military propaganda”, but let’s just focus on whether it was “totally untrue” for the time being.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/01/2022 09:34:21
ID: 1841406

Tamb said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

The Brits cleverly invented James Bond & made money out of the propaganda business.

So that’s negative spending on propaganda is it?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/01/2022 09:34:23
ID: 1841407

The Rev Dodgson said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

transition said:

I’m with you rev.
In the case of religious teachings, it is all false and misleading. Unless they tell you that if you want your prayers answered, you have to do that work yourself.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/01/2022 09:35:32
ID: 1841408

transition said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

transition said:

in unaccepted meaning, or unacceptable meaning, the more interesting dimension of the words you used

OK, glad to learn I misinterpreted you on that.

Exactly what did you mean then?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/01/2022 09:36:01
ID: 1841409

The Rev Dodgson said:

Tamb said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

I think so.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/01/2022 09:38:13
ID: 1841410

Tamb said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Tamb said:

I think so.

Clearly we don’t need to deduct this income from the USA spending though, as it originated in the UK.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/01/2022 09:39:52
ID: 1841414

The Rev Dodgson said:

Tamb said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

I think so.

Clearly we don’t need to deduct this income from the USA spending though, as it originated in the UK.

Your logic is, as always, impeccable.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/01/2022 09:42:55
ID: 1841416

Tamb said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Tamb said:

I think so.

Your logic is, as always, impeccable.

He is Dodgson, the most reverend.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/01/2022 09:47:28
ID: 1841418

The Rev Dodgson said:

transition said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

OK, glad to learn I misinterpreted you on that.

Exactly what did you mean then?

bit early for thinking really, not want hurt my neuron too much, discourage it with disproportionate discomfort

was thinking about nuclear arms race, cold war

communicating with bombs, you know they show up on the seismograph

Reply Quote

Date: 29/01/2022 10:41:56
ID: 1841898

it means to have a really really good look at something.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/01/2022 10:44:42
ID: 1841899

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:

Heh.

It is what the goose does or is it what does the goose?

Reply Quote

Date: 29/01/2022 10:45:29
ID: 1841901

you’re a real goose, Trev.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/01/2022 10:50:09
ID: 1841905

Heh

Reply Quote