Date: 24/04/2022 11:30:04
ID: 1876369
Subject: Australia National Dish?

Do we have one? Some people say it is roast lamb, but the stats don’t lie.

Stats on meat consumption in Australia is around about 44 kg per person of poultry (mainly chicken), just under 20 kg each for beef and pork, and only around 5 or 6 kg of sheep meat (lamb and mutton). Seafood is around about 12 kg.

So if we had a national dish, it should be in the chicken category, since that is by far the most popular meat. Almost as much as beef, pork and lamb combined. Roat lamb should be ruled out just based on the low numbers for sheep meat overall.

I have excluded consideration of vegetarian or vegan dishes because only around 10% of the population identify as vegan or vegetarian, meaning that 90 of the population eat meat.

So … after careful consideration, my nomination for national dish is….

Chicken Parmigiana.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 11:36:22
ID: 1876370
Subject: re: Australia National Dish?

party_pants said:

Stats on meat consumption in Australia is around about 44 kg per person of poultry (mainly chicken), just under 20 kg each for beef and pork, and only around 5 or 6 kg of sheep meat (lamb and mutton). Seafood is around about 12 kg.

So if we had a national dish, it should be in the chicken category, since that is by far the most popular meat. Almost as much as beef, pork and lamb combined. Roat lamb should be ruled out just based on the low numbers for sheep meat overall.

I have excluded consideration of vegetarian or vegan dishes because only around 10% of the population identify as vegan or vegetarian, meaning that 90 of the population eat meat.

Chicken Parmigiana.

I don’t believe a national dish needs to be the most popular. The meat pie or sausage roll would be in for a chance.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 11:38:57
ID: 1876371

Spag bol.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 11:39:01
ID: 1876372

Boris said:

party_pants said:

Chicken Parmigiana.

I don’t believe a national dish needs to be the most popular. The meat pie or sausage roll would be in for a chance.

Ackee and saltfish ftw.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 11:41:20
ID: 1876373

What about the sweet-tooths? Lamington or pavlova.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 11:43:04
ID: 1876374

Witty Rejoinder said:

ANZAC biscuit. Quite apt as well. It is one of my faves. needs to be homemade by Debbie though.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 11:43:13
ID: 1876375

Boris said:

party_pants said:

Chicken Parmigiana.

Also should be something that differentiates Australia from other countries so we should either accept the Lamington as the national dish, or if you insist on something eaten earlier in the meal go for the Barramundi.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 11:48:18
ID: 1876377

Boris said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

ANZAC biscuit. Quite apt as well. It is one of my faves. needs to be homemade by Debbie though.

you reminded me that I should make some ANZAC biscuits today..

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 11:51:35
ID: 1876378

According to a little shop on Venice beach, LA, the national dish of Australia is a pie floater.. which I had never heard of until I was reading the description at the little shop in Venice Beach, LA… it is, apparently, big with the South Australians.. and if the rest of the world is taking their cues from the South Australians, we all have bigger problems than we think

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 11:54:48
ID: 1876379

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 11:57:36
ID: 1876380

SCIENCE said:

He Parkes it wherever he wants.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 11:57:56
ID: 1876381

Arts said:

According to a little shop on Venice beach, LA, the national dish of Australia is a pie floater.. which I had never heard of until I was reading the description at the little shop in Venice Beach, LA… it is, apparently, big with the South Australians.. and if the rest of the world is taking their cues from the South Australians, we all have bigger problems than we think

Well yeah, the federation problem. So often comes up when we are trying to think of a typical national … anything. Variety between states is often so great as to make an average or typical measure meaningless. Just like we had with the discussion on typical Aussie houses a week or so ago. Australia is a federation of city-states, each their own unique circumstances.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 11:58:38
ID: 1876382

SCIENCE said:

polite applause

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 12:23:09
ID: 1876391

Vegemite on toast.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 12:30:11
ID: 1876395

Some fnck has gone over to America and opened a Pie stall at the Minnesota Twins baseball field.

Abomination claimed to be an authentic Aussie meat pie. bastard is putting sloppy Joe meat in pie casings and selling them for $12.50.

If Bub truly is an Australian he deserves nothing less than having his citizenship revoked and being force fed his own pies till he dies!

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 12:41:58
ID: 1876400

Fairy bread

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 12:44:03
ID: 1876401

Curried prawns and rice.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 12:44:35
ID: 1876402

Ooh! Ooh!

Chicken parmigiana.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 12:46:14
ID: 1876403

captain_spalding said:

Curried prawns and rice.

According to Sam Kekovich it’s lamb.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 12:51:29
ID: 1876404

captain_spalding said:

Ooh! Ooh!

Chicken parmigiana.

i’ve never eaten one.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 12:52:27
ID: 1876405

sarahs mum said:

captain_spalding said:

Ooh! Ooh!

Chicken parmigiana.

i’ve never eaten one.

I don’t like chicken.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 13:13:50
ID: 1876406

sarahs mum said:

captain_spalding said:

Ooh! Ooh!

Chicken parmigiana.

i’ve never eaten one.

They’re certainly palatable mostly. Give one a whirl when you’re next down the pub.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 13:18:02
ID: 1876408

Witty Rejoinder said:

sarahs mum said:

captain_spalding said:

Ooh! Ooh!

Chicken parmigiana.

i’ve never eaten one.

They’re certainly palatable mostly. Give one a whirl when you’re next down the pub.

Don’t try one of those frozen meal ones from the shops, they’re dreadful.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 13:23:36
ID: 1876409

Witty Rejoinder said:

sarahs mum said:

captain_spalding said:

Ooh! Ooh!

Chicken parmigiana.

i’ve never eaten one.

Its been a long time since I was in a pub.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 13:41:18
ID: 1876412

Witty Rejoinder said:

sarahs mum said:

captain_spalding said:

Ooh! Ooh!

Chicken parmigiana.

i’ve never eaten one.

They usually overcook the chicken making it dry the rest is just artery hardening.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 13:49:58
ID: 1876413

Witty Rejoinder said:

sarahs mum said:

captain_spalding said:

Ooh! Ooh!

Chicken parmigiana.

i’ve never eaten one.

………… and don’t let ‘em deep fry the shit outa the schnitzely bit then put shit on top and cremate it under the gorilla.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 13:59:49
ID: 1876416

woodie took me out to the pub..maybe six years ago?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 14:10:29
ID: 1876417

sarahs mum said:

dens of inequity.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 14:10:32
ID: 1876418

sarahs mum said:

I went to the new syd with DO and Jo…I don’t remember when. Maybe 8 years ago.

And Sarah took me to the pub for a meal last year but it was a wanker pub and the food didn’t live up to the wank.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 14:17:10
ID: 1876423

sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:

And Sarah took me to the pub for a meal last year but it was a wanker pub and the food didn’t live up to the wank.

looking back…most of my pubbing this century has been with forummers.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 14:19:33
ID: 1876426

sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:

looking back…most of my pubbing this century has been with forummers.

Because of Covid, it has been probably more than a year since I last visited a pub.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 14:26:35
ID: 1876428

I have just made some ANZAC biscuits with the teenagers.. I would absolutely share them, but they are really horrible, so I will take one for the team and eat them all myself..

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 14:29:32
ID: 1876429

Arts said:

I have just made some ANZAC biscuits with the teenagers.. I would absolutely share them, but they are really horrible, so I will take one for the team and eat them all myself..

you know the history of those biscuit and how women in australia made them to send to poor men who were far away? well, i’m far away.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 14:36:58
ID: 1876431

Arts said:

The teens or the biscuits?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 14:37:41
ID: 1876433

Boris said:

Arts said:

you know the history of those biscuit and how women in australia made them to send to poor men who were far away? well, i’m far away.

I watched a youtube history last night. They said it was originally a reinvention of Scottish oatcakes. It speculated that not many were sent to the front and more often than not they were sold as fundraisers.Also the coconut was a latter addition.

They said that the hard tack the ANZACs had was better than most because of sugar and milk powder.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 14:41:37
ID: 1876435

Boris said:

Arts said:

the next time I see you they will probably still be ok…

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 14:41:58
ID: 1876437

party_pants said:

Arts said:

The teens or the biscuits?

ha.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 14:44:42
ID: 1876439

sarahs mum said:

Boris said:

Arts said:

I watched a youtube history last night. They said it was originally a reinvention of Scottish oatcakes. It speculated that not many were sent to the front and more often than not they were sold as fundraisers.Also the coconut was a latter addition.

They said that the hard tack the ANZACs had was better than most because of sugar and milk powder.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/apr/22/historic-biscuits-where-the-pavlova-divides-us-the-anzac-unites-us#:~:text=“The%20first%20Anzac%20biscuit%20was,to%20name%20but%20a%20few.”

Link

those biscuits in the top pic are not like the ANZACS I know. too thick.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 14:53:06
ID: 1876444

Woodie said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

sarahs mum said:

i’ve never eaten one.

………… and don’t let ‘em deep fry the shit outa the schnitzely bit then put shit on top and cremate it under the gorilla.

Long, long ago, when it was in its old premises, the British Ex-Services Club in Sydney did the very best chicken and veal schnitzels.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 14:56:46
ID: 1876445

Boris said:

sarahs mum said:

Boris said:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/apr/22/historic-biscuits-where-the-pavlova-divides-us-the-anzac-unites-us#:~:text=“The%20first%20Anzac%20biscuit%20was,to%20name%20but%20a%20few.”

Link

SF flour. To a point thicker is better because then they are chewy.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 14:59:16
ID: 1876447

Witty Rejoinder said:

Boris said:

sarahs mum said:

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 15:00:03
ID: 1876448

Witty Rejoinder said:

True. But the plain flour ones can often have brandy-snap sort of texture to them, which is appealing.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 15:01:43
ID: 1876449

Boris said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

Boris said:

Link

I used plain flour but just rolled them into balls without too much flattening so they aren’t super thin.. I was going for chewy

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 15:53:32
ID: 1876456

SCIENCE said:

LOL
Anyway, meat pie and tomato sauce washed down with a beer on a hot day in the sun at the cricket without a hat or a shirt is near enough.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 16:13:35
ID: 1876458

A kebab to be eaten at 3 am

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 16:20:05
ID: 1876460

Boris said:

sarahs mum said:

dens of inequity.

Well obviously the ones Woodie frequents are…

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 17:14:34
ID: 1876471

dv said:

A kebab to be eaten at 3 am

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 18:33:25
ID: 1876496

Michael V said:

Ackee and saltfish ftw.

Isn’t “ackee and saltfish” the Jamaica national dish?

It’s said of Australian cuisine that we “take recipes from all over the world and improve on them”. I like that description.

When feeling homesick for Australian food during our visit to Jamaica, I went to a Chinese take-away. It was exactly like we have in Australia.

The book by Cribb, “Wild food of Australia” starts with “Australian native food is edible but not worth eating”.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 18:39:03
ID: 1876498

mollwollfumble said:

The book by Cribb, “Wild food of Australia” starts with “Australian native food is edible but not worth eating”.

There was a punishment regime in some US prisons.

Meatloaf.

Rebellious/violent/untameable prisoners would be put on a diet of meatloaf.

It had all of the required nutrients, proteins, vitamins, you name it. But it was meatloaf, as bland as you could make it.

Meatloaf for breakfast. Meatloaf for lunch. Meatloaf for dinner.

Day after day after day.

I think that the longest hold out was three weeks. Then, like all the rest, he promised to be a good boy, but for chrissake, gimme something else to eat!

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 18:42:04
ID: 1876499

captain_spalding said:

mollwollfumble said:

There was a punishment regime in some US prisons.

Meatloaf.

Rebellious/violent/untameable prisoners would be put on a diet of meatloaf.

It had all of the required nutrients, proteins, vitamins, you name it. But it was meatloaf, as bland as you could make it.

Meatloaf for breakfast. Meatloaf for lunch. Meatloaf for dinner.

Day after day after day.

I think that the longest hold out was three weeks. Then, like all the rest, he promised to be a good boy, but for chrissake, gimme something else to eat!

I like the story about Fort William where they put the inmates on the cheapest diet at the time. Potatoes and herring. After a short while the inmates were healthier than the rest of the population.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 18:42:17
ID: 1876500

mollwollfumble said:

Michael V said:

Ackee and saltfish ftw.

Isn’t “ackee and saltfish” the Jamaica national dish?

It’s said of Australian cuisine that we “take recipes from all over the world and improve on them”. I like that description.

When feeling homesick for Australian food during our visit to Jamaica, I went to a Chinese take-away. It was exactly like we have in Australia.

Yes it is, of course. We don’t have ackee in Australia, and precious little saltfish.

I lived in a country village when I worked in Jamaica. Not much choice for food. Rice and curry, jerk pork to buy locally. The jerk pork was to die for. It was fantastic. Otherwise we cooked for ourselves. Roast chicken with jerk seasoning was a common evening meal.

I don’t remember reading that in Cribb.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 18:47:26
ID: 1876503

sarahs mum said:

I like the story about Fort William where they put the inmates on the cheapest diet at the time. Potatoes and herring. After a short while the inmates were healthier than the rest of the population.

The same is true of the Royal Navy in the Napoleonic wars/Nelson’s time.

The victuals and diet there were not much by our standards, but the fact was that , especially in ‘home’ waters, common sailors generally ate far better than they would have ashore, and indeed better than a large part of the population ashore.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 18:50:23
ID: 1876504

captain_spalding said:

sarahs mum said:

The same is true of the Royal Navy in the Napoleonic wars/Nelson’s time.

The victuals and diet there were not much by our standards, but the fact was that , especially in ‘home’ waters, common sailors generally ate far better than they would have ashore, and indeed better than a large part of the population ashore.

The 1700’s and early 1800’s seem to be when the interest was high about rations and nutrition.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 18:54:21
ID: 1876508

sarahs mum said:

The 1700’s and early 1800’s seem to be when the interest was high about rations and nutrition.

The necessity of keeping ships constantly at sea on Continental blockade provided a good deal of data on dietary illnesses. While ‘dietetics’ was an unknown term then, some patterns were glaringly obvious.

Despite popular myth, the causes and cures of scurvy were well known by the, and the big problem was to provide the necessary preventives in a durable form for ships on extended commissions.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 19:35:19
ID: 1876515

Australia’s National Dish would be whatever item is most frequently bought at McDonald’s.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 19:36:48
ID: 1876516

> I lived in a country village when I worked in Jamaica. Not much choice for food. Rice and curry, jerk pork to buy locally. The jerk pork was to die for. It was fantastic. Otherwise we cooked for ourselves. Roast chicken with jerk seasoning was a common evening meal.

I’d be interested in knowing where in Jamaica? Was your visit bauxite related?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 19:43:48
ID: 1876517

Bubblecar said:

Australia’s National Dish would be whatever item is most frequently bought at McDonald’s.

So Red Rooster is the most popular Australian fast food joint. Cool, TIL.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 19:48:12
ID: 1876518

Kingy said:

Bubblecar said:

?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 19:49:41
ID: 1876519

Bubblecar said:

Kingy said:

Bubblecar said:

?

the others are american.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 19:50:25
ID: 1876520

Bubblecar said:

I take it that the % are the people who visit that establishment at least once a year?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 19:51:22
ID: 1876522

Boris said:

Bubblecar said:

Kingy said:

?

the others are american.

Ah.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 19:55:19
ID: 1876524

https://www.edigitalagency.com.au/digital-trends/most-popular-takeaway-food-australia/#:~:text=AUSTRALIAN%20TAKEAWAY%20FOOD%20STATISTICS,fast%20food%20restaurant%20in%20Australia.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 19:59:55
ID: 1876529

Bubblecar said:

https://www.edigitalagency.com.au/digital-trends/most-popular-takeaway-food-australia/#:~:text=AUSTRALIAN%20TAKEAWAY%20FOOD%20STATISTICS,fast%20food%20restaurant%20in%20Australia.

I don’t eat at any of those.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:00:46
ID: 1876530

Mind you it’s true that lamb was much more popular in the olden days, when it was cheaper.

As for chicken, I remember my Australian bro-in-law’s grandmother (a country lady) would never serve chicken on its own to men – it had to be accompanied by a red meat.

Women could get by on chicken and veg alone, but men needed “proper meat”.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:01:32
ID: 1876531

roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

Me neither.

I wonder what the most common home-cooked meal is.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:06:16
ID: 1876534

Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

Me neither.

Spag bol.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:06:42
ID: 1876535

Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

Me neither.

Two minute noodles.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:07:06
ID: 1876536

Bubblecar said:

Mind you it’s true that lamb was much more popular in the olden days, when it was cheaper.

As for chicken, I remember my Australian bro-in-law’s grandmother (a country lady) would never serve chicken on its own to men – it had to be accompanied by a red meat.

We could afford a leg of lamb once a week. Maybe a hunk of silverside. That Sunday roast would last all week eaten cold.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:07:30
ID: 1876537

sibeen said:

Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

Me neither.

Spag bol.

I don’t know, that’s a bit involved. More likely to be something like cheese on toast.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:08:16
ID: 1876538

Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

Me neither.

With such a multicultural society, probably many.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:09:33
ID: 1876540

Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

Me neither.

Going by the stats, it would be something based on chicken.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:10:07
ID: 1876541

party_pants said:

Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

Me neither.

roast.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:10:41
ID: 1876542

roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

We could afford a leg of lamb once a week. Maybe a hunk of silverside. That Sunday roast would last all week eaten cold.

I grew up on a wheat and sheep farm. Lamb and veg for almost every meal except brekky(weatbix), and xmas(pork).

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:10:58
ID: 1876544

Boris said:

party_pants said:

Bubblecar said:

Me neither.

roast.

stir fry or pan fry, with some kind of sauce.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:11:25
ID: 1876545

Boris said:

party_pants said:

Bubblecar said:

Me neither.

roast.

Curry.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:11:46
ID: 1876546

Kingy said:

Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

Me neither.

Two minute noodles.

There was a time when we ate these often but I haven’t had them for decades. Though some brands of angelhair cooks in two minutes. I put my own flavours in though. Anything from home made pesto to a good home made pasta sauce.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:12:25
ID: 1876547

party_pants said:

Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

Me neither.

A lot of things; tastes like chicken.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:12:56
ID: 1876548

Kingy said:

roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

I grew up on a wheat and sheep farm. Lamb and veg for almost every meal except brekky(weatbix), and xmas(pork).

Dad usually had a pot of porridge ready when we got up.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:13:28
ID: 1876550

party_pants said:

Boris said:

party_pants said:

roast.

stir fry or pan fry, with some kind of sauce.

Bubble&squeak.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:13:49
ID: 1876551

Kingy said:

roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

Do you still eat lamb in the same quantities?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:14:26
ID: 1876552

sibeen said:

Spag bol.

prolly , what about a bbq snags onions and the trimmings?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:15:36
ID: 1876554

Kingy said:

Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

Me neither.

Two minute noodles.

never had them.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:16:00
ID: 1876555

when I was a kid it would have been a lamb roast or lamb chops with mash.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:17:16
ID: 1876556

monkey skipper said:

sibeen said:

Spag bol.

prolly , what about a bbq snags onions and the trimmings?

I tend to eat those only when I’m doing a barbie. Don’t really cook them up much in the kitchen.

If I want a quick and easy meal at home I do fish finger sandwiches with a bit of lettuce and cheese and some tartar sauce.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:17:25
ID: 1876557

roughbarked said:

Kingy said:

roughbarked said:

My dad would often cook it before he went to bed and just bring it to the boil with some water from the kettle in the morning. much better.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:17:34
ID: 1876558

roughbarked said:

A lot of things tastes like chicken.

Too many things.

In the backblocks of Thailand near Burma/Myanmar, i was enjoying the food that had been provided.

‘This is good!’, i said ‘What is it?’

Some sideways glances among my hosts.

‘Uhhh…chicken!’, one said

I carried on eating and enjoying.

Eventually, it dawned on me that i hadn’t seen any chickens anywhere for about a week.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:18:11
ID: 1876559

party_pants said:

Kingy said:

roughbarked said:

My sarah was raised on sides of hogget.

Now I can’t really afford to eat lamb.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:20:10
ID: 1876560

captain_spalding said:

roughbarked said:

Too many things.

In the backblocks of Thailand near Burma/Myanmar, i was enjoying the food that had been provided.

Eventually, it dawned on me that i hadn’t seen any chickens anywhere for about a week.

that’s cos they’d eaten em all.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:21:34
ID: 1876561

captain_spalding said:

roughbarked said:

Too many things.

Their dogs clean up under the loo and then they eat the dogs.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:22:52
ID: 1876564

roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

roughbarked said:

Too many things.

No, i knew that it wasn’t dog.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:24:19
ID: 1876565

captain_spalding said:

roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

Too many things.

Probably python then?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:25:26
ID: 1876566

roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

roughbarked said:

Probably python then?

Snakemeat. That’s one possibility.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:27:29
ID: 1876568

party_pants said:

Kingy said:

roughbarked said:

Nope, costs too much now. I eat a lot more pork coz it’s so much cheaper than beef or lamb. I left farming when we got paid $50 for an entire double deck truckload of prime lamb.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:28:44
ID: 1876571

> I wonder what the most common home-cooked meal is.

Meat and 3 veg.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:29:30
ID: 1876572

sarahs mum said:

roughbarked said:

Kingy said:

My dad would often cook it before he went to bed and just bring it to the boil with some water from the kettle in the morning. much better.

We used to have breakfast delight (semolina) with tinned peaches for dessert . I think crumbed lamb cutlets or rissoles ,mashed potato , peas and cooked carrot and gravy was on the menu a lot in the 70’s.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:29:47
ID: 1876573

mollwollfumble said:

Meat and 3 veg.

Blimey, i haven’t had that for years!

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:31:32
ID: 1876575

captain_spalding said:

mollwollfumble said:

Meat and 3 veg.

Blimey, i haven’t had that for years!

had it tonight but with 4 vege. had bubble and squeak the other day.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:33:20
ID: 1876576

Kingy said:

party_pants said:

Kingy said:

Nope, costs too much now. I eat a lot more pork coz it’s so much cheaper than beef or lamb. I left farming when we got paid $50 for an entire double deck truckload of prime lamb.

Sad. What happened that lamb never bounced back after such a crash? Is it all wool now and the animals are too valuable to be used for meat? Why is there not a meat lamb industry grown up alongside wool using different breeds of sheep more suited to meat?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:33:22
ID: 1876577

mollwollfumble said:

Meat and 3 veg.

Not around here. ;)

I’m recalling a tale told to me by my FiL (Archie) about one of his forestry labourers.

Every smoko or meal break this bloke would open his lunchbox and exclaim, “oh no, not vegemite sandwiches again”.

Arch asked him, “why not ask your wife to make you something else?”
“Haven’t got a wife”.

OK, well why don’t you make something else?”

“Can’t think of anything else”.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:36:32
ID: 1876581

mince and sausages with spices of choice , such as savoury rice, tacos , curried sausages and rice , or spag bol as sibeen mentioned/

Australia has a huge fusion cuisine these days.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:37:22
ID: 1876584

party_pants said:

Kingy said:

party_pants said:

Sad. What happened that lamb never bounced back after such a crash? Is it all wool now and the animals are too valuable to be used for meat? Why is there not a meat lamb industry grown up alongside wool using different breeds of sheep more suited to meat?

There was a long slow rebuild, but in the last few years, the end of the Eastern States drought has meant that a lot of farmers over there are restocking with WA sheep. Some of the prices they are paying at auctions are staggering, so not many are going to the food market.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:38:05
ID: 1876585

monkey skipper said:

mince and sausages with spices of choice , such as savoury rice, tacos , curried sausages and rice , or spag bol as sibeen mentioned/

Australia has a huge fusion cuisine these days.

Indeed. Multiculturism is good for the culinary delights.

Far better than the same old stodge we used to eat.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:38:52
ID: 1876587

Kingy said:

party_pants said:

Kingy said:

There was a long slow rebuild, but in the last few years, the end of the Eastern States drought has meant that a lot of farmers over there are restocking with WA sheep. Some of the prices they are paying at auctions are staggering, so not many are going to the food market.

There’s a heck of a lot of them not even stocking sheep these days.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:39:00
ID: 1876588

party_pants said:

Kingy said:

party_pants said:

High international prices for Aussie lamb pushes the local price up. Farmers get more money for smaller flocks.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:40:41
ID: 1876591

I eat lamb. chops with mint sauce. don’t often get a roast being single. sometimes get forequarter chops for a casserole. i don’t usually worry about the price of stuff i like or need.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:41:34
ID: 1876592

Bubblecar said:

party_pants said:

Kingy said:

High international prices for Aussie lamb pushes the local price up. Farmers get more money for smaller flocks.

It was the wool market crash. Here in Tas and no doubt in many other places across the country spring lamb was a merino mother with meat sheep ram over it.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:42:07
ID: 1876594

Boris said:

I eat lamb. chops with mint sauce. don’t often get a roast being single. sometimes get forequarter chops for a casserole. i don’t usually worry about the price of stuff i like or need.

Comfortably off then?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:44:30
ID: 1876597

sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

party_pants said:

It was the wool market crash. Here in Tas and no doubt in many other places across the country spring lamb was a merino mother with meat sheep ram over it.

https://www.mla.com.au/prices-markets/Trends-analysis/sheep-projections/

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:45:02
ID: 1876598

roughbarked said:

Boris said:

Comfortably off then?

OAP which is nigh on $1000 a fortnight. low power bills. don’t drink much. don’t go out.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:46:28
ID: 1876602

Boris said:

roughbarked said:

Boris said:

Comfortably off then?

OAP which is nigh on $1000 a fortnight. low power bills. don’t drink much. don’t go out.

Same. ;)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:47:56
ID: 1876604

sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

party_pants said:

Now demand for lamb is very high (especially for the export market) but supply is relatively low.

The prices we pay for lamb are still regarded as cheap in the export destinations.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:49:43
ID: 1876606

Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Now demand for lamb is very high (especially for the export market) but supply is relatively low.

The prices we pay for lamb are still regarded as cheap in the export destinations.

https://www.awe.gov.au/abares/research-topics/agricultural-outlook/sheep

https://www.farmonline.com.au/story/7602337/sheep-market-prices-defying-expectations/

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:51:23
ID: 1876608

I eat lamb chops, cutlets or sausages quite regularly.

Don’t often buy roasting pieces ‘cos it’s too much of an indulgence for a one-person table.

The Ross people don’t eat lamb because they think the animals are too cute. Ditto ducks.

I quietly roll my eyes :)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:52:25
ID: 1876609

Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

that’s because they import them live on those smelly sheep ships rather than import them frozen and tightly packed into reefer boxes, right?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:52:59
ID: 1876610

https://www.mla.com.au/prices-markets/

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:54:09
ID: 1876611

Bubblecar said:

Don’t often buy roasting pieces ‘cos it’s too much of an indulgence for a one-person table.

The Ross people don’t eat lamb because they think the animals are too cute. Ditto ducks.

But don’t you make things like crepes with duck for gatherings?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:55:54
ID: 1876612

party_pants said:

that’s because they import them live on those smelly sheep ships rather than import them frozen and tightly packed into reefer boxes, right?

They don’t want to miss out on the fun of cutting their throats themselves.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:56:00
ID: 1876613

party_pants said:

Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

We send live sheep to Muslim countries but I would have thought we just send dead meat to Europe, China, US etc.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:57:04
ID: 1876614

furious said:

IT’S NOT DUCK!

IT’S SUSTAINABLY-FARMED WATERFOWL!

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:57:09
ID: 1876615

furious said:

Bubblecar said:

I haven’t used duck for gatherings since the Ross people decided they don’t eat it.

I have used turkey though which they’re happy to gobble.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:57:51
ID: 1876616

captain_spalding said:

party_pants said:

probably more to do with lack of refrigeration.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:58:30
ID: 1876617

furious said:

Bubblecar said:

some people reckon they’re crepe…

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 20:58:36
ID: 1876618

Boris said:

captain_spalding said:

party_pants said:

What? Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States can’t afford fridges?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 21:00:07
ID: 1876619

Boris said:

captain_spalding said:

party_pants said:

You’d think a region awash with oil would have enough electricity capacity to support a cold storage supply chain.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 21:01:15
ID: 1876620

party_pants said:

Boris said:

captain_spalding said:

You’d think a region awash with oil would have enough electricity capacity to support a cold storage supply chain.

They have a lot of lights in big buildings.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 21:02:02
ID: 1876622

party_pants said:

Boris said:

captain_spalding said:

They have to be killed just so…

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 21:02:05
ID: 1876623

captain_spalding said:

Boris said:

captain_spalding said:

cold store logistics away from large towns.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 21:02:55
ID: 1876624

Boris said:

captain_spalding said:

Boris said:

Oh, well, no, they couldn’t hope to aspire to such things.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 21:04:31
ID: 1876625

furious said:

party_pants said:

Boris said:

They have to be killed just so…

plus some like fresh meat rather than chilled or frozen. plus they would just buy what they want from somewhere else.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 21:07:17
ID: 1876627

captain_spalding said:

Boris said:

captain_spalding said:

Oh, well, no, they couldn’t hope to aspire to such things.

well actually, aussie killed lamb exports have been increasing so i guess some aspirations are being met.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 21:09:15
ID: 1876630

I actually haven’t eaten lamb for over 20 years so I really shouldn’t comment…

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 21:09:57
ID: 1876632

captain_spalding said:

party_pants said:

Like the jews? or are they off limits?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 21:13:40
ID: 1876634

furious said:

I actually haven’t eaten lamb for over 20 years so I really shouldn’t comment…

It was a night in 1972, if I recall correctly. The last time a lamb chop was on my plate.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 21:16:06
ID: 1876636

Boris said:

captain_spalding said:

party_pants said:

All of the muslim halal slaughter requirements are compatible with modern slaughterhouse techniques – except for the prayer/blessing required for each animal.

If only they’d allow some sort of post-slaughter blessing, like saying grace before the meal is served.

Kosher slaughter is more strict, and requires the animal to be killed by the cutting of the throat only. it does not allow for stunning before this step.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 21:20:14
ID: 1876640

party_pants said:

Boris said:

captain_spalding said:

All of the muslim halal slaughter requirements are compatible with modern slaughterhouse techniques – except for the prayer/blessing required for each animal.

If only they’d allow some sort of post-slaughter blessing, like saying grace before the meal is served.

Kosher slaughter is more strict, and requires the animal to be killed by the cutting of the throat only. it does not allow for stunning before this step.

yep. I was just bringing up the fact that it always seems when ritual slaughter is mentioned it is muslim, jewish rites never seem to get a look-in. Israel has ceased live imports from australia in the last couple of years i believe,

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 22:13:32
ID: 1876707

Kingy said:

Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

Me neither.

Two minute noodles.

We only had them in the house for the time Mr buffy worked at Nestle in the mid 1980s. They were even cheaper for staff than they are in the supermarket.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 22:16:20
ID: 1876709

buffy said:

Kingy said:

Bubblecar said:

Me neither.

Two minute noodles.

We only had them in the house for the time Mr buffy worked at Nestle in the mid 1980s. They were even cheaper for staff than they are in the supermarket.

I go through a pack of 5 about every month. Don’t particularly like them. don’t eat them often. Usually when I am in a rush to grab something to eat,

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 22:18:26
ID: 1876713

party_pants said:

buffy said:

Kingy said:

Two minute noodles.

I go through a pack of 5 about every month. Don’t particularly like them. don’t eat them often. Usually when I am in a rush to grab something to eat,

You know, there are many brands, some of them are quite good…

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 22:19:40
ID: 1876715

party_pants said:

buffy said:

Kingy said:

Two minute noodles.

I’d rather get some angelhair and chuck a stock cube and a pinch of thyme and oregano from the garden maybe a titch of vegemite in. Chuck some garden parsley on top. Way nicerer than your two minute nooodles.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 22:22:50
ID: 1876716

furious said:

party_pants said:

buffy said:

I used to make a somewhat puttanesca-like meal I make, puttanesque you might say, with a base of onions, garlic, red chili, salt, black pepper, paprika, mustard, tomato paste, mustard, chorizo, and I used to put it with spiral pasta or whatever, but one day we had no pasta so I just put it with ramen, and it became one of their favourite foods. Thing is this means we have leftover packets of flavouring that came with the noodle packs. I’m not sure whether there is somewhere that just sells the ramen with no flavourings but let me know.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 22:31:10
ID: 1876718

dv said:

furious said:

party_pants said:

I used to make a somewhat puttanesca-like meal I make, puttanesque you might say, with a base of onions, garlic, red chili, salt, black pepper, paprika, mustard, tomato paste, mustard, chorizo, and I used to put it with spiral pasta or whatever, but one day we had no pasta so I just put it with ramen, and it became one of their favourite foods. Thing is this means we have leftover packets of flavouring that came with the noodle packs. I’m not sure whether there is somewhere that just sells the ramen with no flavourings but let me know.

https://www.amazon.com/plain-ramen-noodles/s?k=plain+ramen+noodles

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 22:32:07
ID: 1876719

furious said:

party_pants said:

buffy said:

I did not know.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2022 22:39:41
ID: 1876720

party_pants said:

furious said:

party_pants said:

I did not know.

I have these in the pantry – they don’t have flavour sachets. Only used a flavour sachet once. I decided I might just as well put in a teaspoon of salt. So I have them with soy sauce instead. Or sometimes with butter.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/04/2022 13:58:36
ID: 1876944

We do a bit of lamb here but honestly, probably only three times a year? Like the boss lady does a big roast Moroccan lamb shoulder in the summer, and I make a lamb, plum and chili stew in the winter.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/04/2022 14:03:31
ID: 1876945

roast lamb way well have been our national dish in 1922, but prolly not so much in 2022.

Reply Quote