Date: 17/08/2022 08:07:18
ID: 1921832
Subject: Sleep

We’re taught that sleep goes through three phases.

First light sleep, then deep sleep, then dreaming REM state being the deepest of all.

I’m finding that the sequence is different for me.
During the night I go from light sleep to REM sleep back to light sleep and REM sleep again in several cycles. No deep sleep at all.

If I sleep during the day then it’s all deep sleep, no light sleep or REM sleep at all.

How do you sleep? eg. do you start dreaming before you drop off, or wake up dreaming? Or where it feels like only a short time has passed since you popped off?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/08/2022 08:17:42
ID: 1921836
Subject: re: Sleep

mollwollfumble said:

First light sleep, then deep sleep, then dreaming REM state being the deepest of all.

During the night I go from light sleep to REM sleep back to light sleep and REM sleep again in several cycles. No deep sleep at all.

If I sleep during the day then it’s all deep sleep, no light sleep or REM sleep at all.

How do you sleep? eg. do you start dreaming before you drop off, or wake up dreaming? Or where it feels like only a short time has passed since you popped off?

How do you know what sort of sleep you had when you were asleep?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/08/2022 11:07:31
ID: 1921896

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

I know because fitbit tells me. :-)

But even without that, if on waking up from a sleep it feels like no time has passed since I fell asleep – that’s deep sleep.
If dreams can be remembered on waking or you can remember dreaming while falling asleep, that’s REM sleep.
If it feels like I’ve been tossing and turning most of the night then that’s light sleep.
Feeling groggy for some minutes after waking up – that’s also deep sleep.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/08/2022 11:19:28
ID: 1921900

mollwollfumble said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

But even without that, if on waking up from a sleep it feels like no time has passed since I fell asleep – that’s deep sleep.
If dreams can be remembered on waking or you can remember dreaming while falling asleep, that’s REM sleep.
If it feels like I’ve been tossing and turning most of the night then that’s light sleep.

OK, so you can tell what sort of sleep you were in immediately before waking, but if you don’t have a fitbit and you wake remembering a dream, how do you know if the REM sleep was preceded by deep sleep or not?

And how does a fitbit know, even if you have one?

FWIW, I very rarely remember dreams on waking (and these days I usually wake 2-3 times overnight before get up time).

Reply Quote

Date: 17/08/2022 11:20:27
ID: 1921902

mollwollfumble said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

Yes time passes when you are in REM but seems to stands still in Deep State

Reply Quote

Date: 18/08/2022 02:12:10
ID: 1922243

Or perhaps you sleep like I did a few minutes ago?

Kicking out with all my might against a nightmare enemy.

Mrs m not all that happy.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/08/2022 23:11:14
ID: 1922652

When I wake up in the morning the whole room is normally smashed up, it’s costing me a fortune, not to mention having to come up with plausible explanations to the neighbours as I put a pick axe handle through a window at 2am.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/08/2022 23:14:24
ID: 1922655

wookiemeister said:

When I wake up in the morning the whole room is normally smashed up, it’s costing me a fortune, not to mention having to come up with plausible explanations to the neighbours as I put a pick axe handle through a window at 2am.

The death threats don’t help

Reply Quote

Date: 18/08/2022 23:18:58
ID: 1922662

wookiemeister said:

wookiemeister said:

The death threats don’t help

Too soon ?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/08/2022 23:24:13
ID: 1922669

Best sleep is 10pm to 2am ( too late now)

Go out on youtube and listen to binaural beats

https://youtu.be/9TD9SM-5XSk

Reply Quote

Date: 14/09/2022 22:14:18
ID: 1932847

mollwollfumble said:

I use a CPAP machine every night, and sometimes I’ll shut my eyes to have a bit of a relax before putting the mask on. Unfortunately too often I’ll find that I’ve drifted off and have woken up several hours later. I’ll then put the mask on and go back to sleep. But one thing I’ve noticed is that I only ever dream after I put the mask on so it much mean all my dreaming is done closer to when I wake up properly in the morning.
As I wake up the dream that I had fades away, I can very rarely remember anything much about them after a short while, they fade away even if I try to remember parts of them.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/09/2022 22:18:02
ID: 1932850

Spiny Norman said:

mollwollfumble said:

I use a CPAP machine every night, and sometimes I’ll shut my eyes to have a bit of a relax before putting the mask on. Unfortunately too often I’ll find that I’ve drifted off and have woken up several hours later. I’ll then put the mask on and go back to sleep. But one thing I’ve noticed is that I only ever dream after I put the mask on so it much mean all my dreaming is done closer to when I wake up properly in the morning.
As I wake up the dream that I had fades away, I can very rarely remember anything much about them after a short while, they fade away even if I try to remember parts of them.

Yes. One tends to wake from the dream state.

Reply Quote