Date: 17/08/2022 11:25:25
ID: 1921905
Subject: Android (again)

Any advice on how to set up Android? Life hacks.

eg. settings or favourite apps.

eg Any advice on favourite ad-blocker, how to avoid butt dialing, how to keep a program running (rather than paused) while the lock screen is on. What to do when I can’t bring up the three buttons at the bottom of the screen, how you transfer documents, what you use a mobile phone for, should I keep bluetooth off in order to avoid inadvertent expenses, get rid of unwanted notifications, sound settings, battery saving, etc.

Just things you do on your own mobile that you’d recommend for other people.
Especially things that don’t cost money.

eg. I love the “GPS Test” program you recommended, but it stops looking for GPS values when the lock screen is on. I’m using the other GPS recommendation “Outdooractive” but it keeps butt dialing.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/08/2022 11:28:17
ID: 1921908
Subject: re: Android (again)

Have amusing pictures/cartoons for all of all your contacts that are insulting or somewhat reflective of personality including yourself, real photos of them are boring

Reply Quote

Date: 17/08/2022 11:28:42
ID: 1921909

mollwollfumble said:

eg Any advice on favourite ad-blocker, how to avoid butt dialing, how to keep a program running (rather than paused) while the lock screen is on. What to do when I can’t bring up the three buttons at the bottom of the screen, how you transfer documents, what you use a mobile phone for, should I keep bluetooth off in order to avoid inadvertent expenses, get rid of unwanted notifications, sound settings, battery saving, etc.

eg. I love the “GPS Test” program you recommended, but it stops looking for GPS values when the lock screen is on. I’m using the other GPS recommendation “Outdooractive” but it keeps butt dialing.

What is “butt dialing”?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/08/2022 11:33:43
ID: 1921912

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

What is “butt dialing”?

Dialling when in your pocket

Reply Quote

Date: 17/08/2022 12:15:11
ID: 1921919

Cymek said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

What is “butt dialing”?

Things I’ve done on my Android.
1) AutoCorrect off
2) Firefox default browser
3) Spell check on
4) Padded case to stop screen damage & butt dialing
There’s more but the settings were put in a few years ago & I can’t remember the rest.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/08/2022 02:28:34
ID: 1922251

Cymek said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

What is “butt dialing”?

Sorry, I thought the term would be familiar.

I went for a walk recently and found on checking my pocket that I’d set 13 waypoints for a round the world tour.

Will reply to other posts soon.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/08/2022 13:05:42
ID: 1922424

mollwollfumble said:

You’re Welcome :-D

Reply Quote

Date: 18/08/2022 16:58:29
ID: 1922523

Ogmog said:

mollwollfumble said:

OK then, what are your favourite settings and apps for iPhone?

Tamb said:

1) AutoCorrect off
3) Spell check on
There’s more but the settings were put in a few years ago & I can’t remember the rest.

Thanks Tamb. Will do.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/08/2022 17:02:28
ID: 1922526

mollwollfumble said:

Ogmog said:

mollwollfumble said:

OK then, what are your favourite settings and apps for iPhone?

Tamb said:

1) AutoCorrect off
3) Spell check on

Thanks Tamb. Will do.

If you want ad-blocking in a browser, try Brave or Adblock browsers. Both do a pretty reasonable job.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/08/2022 08:26:14
ID: 1923540

Tamb said:

Cymek said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

What is “butt dialing”?

1) AutoCorrect off
3) Spell check on

Firefox now default browser.

Reply Quote