Date: 18/08/2022 10:24:01
ID: 1922327
Subject: Australian Indigenous

Just a few numbers from the 2021 Census. Hardly worth a thread.

Given that anyone can call themselves indigenous, irrespective of ancestry, I decided to look and see how many white people were claiming to be indigenous. It turns out that there’s not enough information in a single census to tell, I’d have to track through multiple censuses. The Bureau has said that there are people out there claiming to be indigenous, neither of whose parents is indigenous. But I haven’t been able to confirm that yet.

Some mollwollfumble estimates, as of 2021.
7,887 Tribal indigenous people (claimed).
78,656 Indigenous people.
670,623 Mixed race.
Only a small number of whites are claiming to be indigenous. Definitely less than 50,000.

Info is provided state by state.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/08/2022 12:15:50
ID: 1922408
Subject: re: Australian Indigenous

mollwollfumble said:

Given that anyone can call themselves indigenous, irrespective of ancestry, I decided to look and see how many white people were claiming to be indigenous. It turns out that there’s not enough information in a single census to tell, I’d have to track through multiple censuses. The Bureau has said that there are people out there claiming to be indigenous, neither of whose parents is indigenous. But I haven’t been able to confirm that yet.

670,623 Mixed race.
Only a small number of whites are claiming to be indigenous. Definitely less than 50,000.

To be indigenous, you need to be recognised by the indigenous community. A white person cannot just claim to be one and expect to to legally accepted.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/08/2022 14:39:00
ID: 1922474

mollwollfumble said:

670,623 Mixed race.

DNA ?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/08/2022 16:12:32
ID: 1922503

PermeateFree said:

To be indigenous, you need to be recognised by the indigenous community. A white person cannot just claim to be one and expect to to legally accepted.

Yeah, that’s a weird one. Which indigenous community?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/08/2022 16:18:10
ID: 1922506

mollwollfumble said:

PermeateFree said:

the one you’re claiming to be a part of I would imagine.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/08/2022 23:04:47
ID: 1922646

I normally claim to be aboriginal on any census

Reply Quote

Date: 19/08/2022 00:17:26
ID: 1922682

mollwollfumble said:

PermeateFree said:

You are such an ignorant arsehole. I get so tired of constantly pointing out your arse-about-face way of looking at the world, but you never learn, you rarely listen and carry on with your most ridiculous view of the world, which most people if they thought that way would keep to themselves.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/08/2022 01:23:12
ID: 1922688

PermeateFree said:

mollwollfumble said:

PermeateFree said:

You are such an ignorant arsehole. I get so tired of constantly pointing out your arse-about-face way of looking at the world, but you never learn, you rarely listen and carry on with your most ridiculous view of the world, which most people if they thought that way would keep to themselves.

yeah

Reply Quote

Date: 19/08/2022 07:36:02
ID: 1922725

dv said:

PermeateFree said:

mollwollfumble said:

yeah

I did work with a lady who applied for a job with the local (‘indigenous-run’) land council, and while her indigenous origins were not at all in doubt, she was rejected for not being ‘of sufficient outward Aboriginal appearance’. Which she understood to mean ‘not black enough’.

‘But i’m a bloody sight more black than some they have working there’, she declared. Apparently the land council was renowned for embracing nepotism in all its forms.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/08/2022 07:42:26
ID: 1922726

captain_spalding said:

dv said:

PermeateFree said:

yeah

I did work with a lady who applied for a job with the local (‘indigenous-run’) land council, and while her indigenous origins were not at all in doubt, she was rejected for not being ‘of sufficient outward Aboriginal appearance’. Which she understood to mean ‘not black enough’.

‘But i’m a bloody sight more black than some they have working there’, she declared. Apparently the land council was renowned for embracing nepotism in all its forms.

In quite a few instances nepotism rears its ugly head.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/08/2022 08:27:58
ID: 1923541

wookiemeister said:

I normally claim to be aboriginal on any census

Why?

Reply Quote