Date: 19/08/2022 03:19:38
ID: 1922709
Subject: Across the Universe

Movie

I stumbled upon this last weekend on ABC TV… A musical built around numerous 60s pop cultural moments and Beatles references, and featuriing 33 Beatles tracks.

It follows the journey of an alienated Pommy lad who sails to America and gets involved in the university scene, New York – Greenwich Village.. anti-Vietnam and anti-segregation protests.. psychedelia.. bands..art…

I was prepared to be disappointed but was quitely impressed instead. I thought that the music and the production was outstanding.

Wikipedia

“The film received mixed reviews from critics, with many praising the visuals, cast and singing performances, though criticized the plot and direction.”

“Psychedelic musical numbers can’t mask Across the Universe’s clichéd love story and thinly written characters.”

“Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times was extremely positive towards the film, giving it four stars, calling it “an audacious marriage of cutting-edge visual techniques, heart-warming performances, 1960s history and The Beatles songbook” and calling Julie Taymor an “inventive choreographer”. The film appeared on a few notable critics’ top ten lists of the best films of 2007.”

Reply Quote

Date: 19/08/2022 03:35:22
ID: 1922710
Subject: re: Across the Universe

Ian said:

Movie

I stumbled upon this last weekend on ABC TV… A musical built around numerous 60s pop cultural moments and Beatles references, and featuriing 33 Beatles tracks.

It follows the journey of an alienated Pommy lad who sails to America and gets involved in the university scene, New York – Greenwich Village.. anti-Vietnam and anti-segregation protests.. psychedelia.. bands..art…

I was prepared to be disappointed but was quitely impressed instead. I thought that the music and the production was outstanding.

Wikipedia

“The film received mixed reviews from critics, with many praising the visuals, cast and singing performances, though criticized the plot and direction.”

“Psychedelic musical numbers can’t mask Across the Universe’s clichéd love story and thinly written characters.”

“Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times was extremely positive towards the film, giving it four stars, calling it “an audacious marriage of cutting-edge visual techniques, heart-warming performances, 1960s history and The Beatles songbook” and calling Julie Taymor an “inventive choreographer”. The film appeared on a few notable critics’ top ten lists of the best films of 2007.”

I have not seen/heard of it. But I am glad ringo and Paul liked it.\\

Have you seen yesterday?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/08/2022 03:44:29
ID: 1922711

No, but I have seen Get Back.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/08/2022 03:50:58
ID: 1922712

Ian said:

I watched Get back last week.

I did enjoy yesterday. I didn’t think I was going to but I was wrong.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/08/2022 03:58:03
ID: 1922713

sarahs mum said:

Ian said:

I thought the first two eps were interesting though excruciating to watch.. big pay-off in the third.
I have a newfound respect for Ringo.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/08/2022 04:11:44
ID: 1922714

Ian said:

sarahs mum said:

Ian said:

I thought the first two eps were interesting though excruciating to watch.. big pay-off in the third.

I know what you mean re Ringo.

I over indulged in nostalgia. I remembered how invested in it I was.

I am not sure what people got out of it if they were not fans or musos.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/08/2022 05:31:27
ID: 1922715

sarahs mum said:

Ian said:

sarahs mum said:

I saw Help and Hard Days night. As well, I saw yellow submarine but I was never really a beatles fan.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2022 02:35:01
ID: 1924476

roughbarked said:

sarahs mum said:

Ian said:

I saw Help and Hard Days night. As well, I saw yellow submarine but I was never really a beatles fan.

A Hard Day’s Night was their best effort imo… saw it at the drive-in
Also a good single.
Also a good album… the first LP I bought

On the set of Help, The Beatles were so stoned they had to be fed the script by line or possibly word by word.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2022 03:16:50
ID: 1924481

Across the Universe

Song

I never paid much attention do this song but the lyrics are interesting..

One night in 1967, the phrase “words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup” came to Lennon after listening to the voice of his then-wife Cynthia.

JL: I was lying next to my first wife in bed, you know, and I was irritated, and I was thinking. She must have been going on and on about something and she’d gone to sleep and I kept hearing these words over and over, flowing like an endless stream. I went downstairs and it turned into a sort of cosmic song rather than an irritated song, rather than a “Why are you always mouthing off at me?”  were purely inspirational and were given to me as boom! I don’t own it you know; it came through like that.

One thing that intrigued me though was Lennon’s reference to “jackaroo days or Dave” in the chorus as I don’t think the he had any experience of outback Australia.

I now realise it’s some Maharishi mantra..

Jai guru deva, om
Nothing’s gonna change my world

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2022 03:24:24
ID: 1924483

On 4 February 2008, at 00:00 UTCNASA transmitted the Interstellar Message “Across the Universe” in the direction of the star Polaris, 431 light years from Earth. 

The transmission was made using a 70-metre antenna in the Deep Space Network’s Madrid Deep Space Communication Complex, located outside of Madrid, Spain. It was done with an “X band” transmitter, radiating into the antenna at 18 kW. This was done to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the song’s recording, the 45th anniversary of the Deep Space Network (DSN), and the 50th anniversary of NASA.

The idea was hatched by Beatles historian Mark Lewisohn, who encouraged all Beatles fans to play the track as it was beamed to the distant star. The event marked the first time a song had ever been intentionally transmitted into deep space.

Fuck knows what the inhabitants of the Polaris system will make of it.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2022 03:25:15
ID: 1924484

Ian said:

Across the Universe

Song

One night in 1967, the phrase “words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup” came to Lennon after listening to the voice of his then-wife Cynthia.

JL: I was lying next to my first wife in bed, you know, and I was irritated, and I was thinking. She must have been going on and on about something and she’d gone to sleep and I kept hearing these words over and over, flowing like an endless stream. I went downstairs and it turned into a sort of cosmic song rather than an irritated song, rather than a “Why are you always mouthing off at me?”  were purely inspirational and were given to me as boom! I don’t own it you know; it came through like that.

One thing that intrigued me though was Lennon’s reference to “jackaroo days or Dave” in the chorus as I don’t think the he had any experience of outback Australia.

Jai guru deva, om

i had the sheet music. No confusion with the lyric.

While watching Get Back I wondered if I could still play the intro to I dig a pony.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2022 07:28:40
ID: 1924495

Ian said:

roughbarked said:

sarahs mum said:

A Hard Day’s Night was their best effort imo… saw it at the drive-in
Also a good single.
Also a good album… the first LP I bought

On the set of Help, The Beatles were so stoned they had to be fed the script by line or possibly word by word.

You should have seen them doing magical mystery tour.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2022 07:30:40
ID: 1924497

Ian said:

Across the Universe

Song

Jai guru deva, om

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2022 09:50:51
ID: 1924530

Ian said:

Across the Universe

Song

Jai guru deva, om

yeah

Reply Quote