Date: 1/02/2023 00:41:28
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1988873
Subject: Chat February 2023

Ooh look! This one’s empty.

We can start filling it straight away!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 00:43:02
From: Arts
ID: 1988875
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Hello future.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 00:43:33
From: party_pants
ID: 1988876
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

you’re over 2 hours early, from my POV.

I’m just heading off to bed anyway.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 01:05:45
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1988887
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Google demonstrates MusicLM: A hi-fidelity music generating AI

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 01:08:28
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1988888
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Under pressure: Breakthrough new material solves problem of wearable sensors

A team of researchers, led by Trisha L. Andrew, professor of chemistry and chemical engineering at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, recently announced that they have synthesized a new material that solves one of the most difficult problems in the quest to create wearable, unobtrusive sensitive sensors: the problem of pressure.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 01:13:43
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1988889
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Interesting!

Even chess experts perform worse when air quality is lower, suggesting a negative effect on cognition

Here’s something else chess players need to keep in check: air pollution.

That’s the bottom line of a newly published study co-authored by an MIT researcher, showing that chess players perform objectively worse and make more suboptimal moves, as measured by a computerized analysis of their games, when there is more fine particulate matter in the air.

More specifically, given a modest increase in fine particulate matter, the probability that chess players will make an error increases by 2.1 percentage points, and the magnitude of those errors increases by 10.8%. In this setting, at least, cleaner air leads to clearer heads and sharper thinking.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 01:38:01
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1988890
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A dire forecast: Scientists used AI to find planet could cross critical warming threshold sooner than expected

CNN —

The planet could cross critical global warming thresholds sooner than previous models have predicted, even with concerted global climate action, according to a new study using machine learning.

The study estimates that the planet could reach 1.5 degrees Celsius of warming above pre-industrial levels in a decade, and found a “substantial possibility” of global temperature rises crossing the 2-degree threshold by mid-century, even with significant global efforts to bring down planet-warming pollution.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 06:41:03
From: buffy
ID: 1988905
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 8 degrees and lightly overcast. We are forecast 18 degrees and a possible shower.

I could have done without being woken at 2.00am by koalas. It’s mating season. Which is well and good, but do they have to scarper across right outside our room and then be noisy right nearby? She squeals and cries. Anyway, I’m off to the supermarkets today. I haven’t got anything else to do in Hamilton so it will be a quick trip again this week.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 07:45:14
From: buffy
ID: 1988906
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Right, I’m off to Hamilton. Seeyas later.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 07:46:05
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1988907
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning punters and correctors.
Today I’ll attempt to install the new house pump at the redoubt.
Plumbing is a black art that I’m not very good at, a lot of secret plumbing business went into the pumps initial installation.
I’m confident, very confident there will be swearing involved.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 08:27:03
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1988908
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Morning punters and correctors.
Today I’ll attempt to install the new house pump at the redoubt.
Plumbing is a black art that I’m not very good at, a lot of secret plumbing business went into the pumps initial installation.
I’m confident, very confident there will be swearing involved.

they have an inlet and an outlet. you don’t want the inlet to suck air (or grab clusters). you only want the water coming out of the end of the outlet pipe. make sure your seals are tight.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 08:30:17
From: Michael V
ID: 1988909
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning everybody.

23.5°C, 84% RH, and overcast with a light air. BoM forecasts a top of 30°C and an 80% chance of rain.

Agenda: Take Mrs V to Gympie to see the orthopaedic surgeon. Probably stop at Fraser Grill on the way home for lunch.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 08:42:52
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1988911
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Morning punters and correctors.
Today I’ll attempt to install the new house pump at the redoubt.
Plumbing is a black art that I’m not very good at, a lot of secret plumbing business went into the pumps initial installation.
I’m confident, very confident there will be swearing involved.

Some people learn by swearing, anger stimulates the nerve endings, some can grow more.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 09:11:23
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1988914
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Robot made of shape-shifting matter liquefies to escape jail

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 09:20:45
From: Michael V
ID: 1988916
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Interesting study:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-01/dolphins-and-humans-catch-more-fish-working-together/101913740

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 09:28:58
From: Woodie
ID: 1988917
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Morning punters and correctors.
Today I’ll attempt to install the new house pump at the redoubt.
Plumbing is a black art that I’m not very good at, a lot of secret plumbing business went into the pumps initial installation.
I’m confident, very confident there will be swearing involved.

I have a rather large hammer you can borrow, if you wish. Comes in very handy at times like this.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 10:59:24
From: Cymek
ID: 1988935
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Greetings

Forgot my glasses this morning, going to have a wicked headache by the days end, 9 hours I’m at work today.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:04:03
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1988936
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Greetings

Forgot my glasses this morning, going to have a wicked headache by the days end, 9 hours I’m at work today.

Can you get some readers?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:04:17
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1988937
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Greetings

Forgot my glasses this morning, going to have a wicked headache by the days end, 9 hours I’m at work today.

You need a spare pair.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:05:44
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1988938
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Cymek said:

Greetings

Forgot my glasses this morning, going to have a wicked headache by the days end, 9 hours I’m at work today.

Can you get some readers?

Is there a chemist close by ?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:06:02
From: Cymek
ID: 1988939
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Cymek said:

Greetings

Forgot my glasses this morning, going to have a wicked headache by the days end, 9 hours I’m at work today.

You need a spare pair.

I have a spare pair buts its also at home

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:06:15
From: roughbarked
ID: 1988940
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Cymek said:

Greetings

Forgot my glasses this morning, going to have a wicked headache by the days end, 9 hours I’m at work today.

You need a spare pair.

Duck out at smoko and pick up a pair of the cheapo magnifying specs.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:06:18
From: Cymek
ID: 1988941
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Cymek said:

Greetings

Forgot my glasses this morning, going to have a wicked headache by the days end, 9 hours I’m at work today.

Can you get some readers?

Like the ones they have in the chemist

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:08:35
From: roughbarked
ID: 1988942
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


sarahs mum said:

Cymek said:

Greetings

Forgot my glasses this morning, going to have a wicked headache by the days end, 9 hours I’m at work today.

Can you get some readers?

Like the ones they have in the chemist

Yes.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:14:46
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1988943
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Cymek said:

sarahs mum said:

Can you get some readers?

Like the ones they have in the chemist

Yes.

they also have them at the IGA. And also the two dollar shops.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:15:31
From: roughbarked
ID: 1988944
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


roughbarked said:

Cymek said:

Like the ones they have in the chemist

Yes.

they also have them at the IGA. And also the two dollar shops.

Prices vary but the ones at the chemist are generally of a higher quality.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:18:00
From: Tamb
ID: 1988945
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Cymek said:

Greetings

Forgot my glasses this morning, going to have a wicked headache by the days end, 9 hours I’m at work today.

You need a spare pair.

I have a spare pair buts its also at home


My distance glasses are bifocals so I can read with them. I can’t drive without them so in a way I always have my spare pair with me.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:19:26
From: ms spock
ID: 1988946
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Sláinte mhaith! (Good health) and Dia dhaoibh (Hello!) to one an all!

As the Vulcans say!

It is agreeable to see and read you all today!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:19:35
From: Arts
ID: 1988947
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Greetings

Forgot my glasses this morning, going to have a wicked headache by the days end, 9 hours I’m at work today.

Take a personal day. This is a health issue

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:22:17
From: ms spock
ID: 1988949
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Cymek said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

You need a spare pair.

I have a spare pair buts its also at home


My distance glasses are bifocals so I can read with them. I can’t drive without them so in a way I always have my spare pair with me.

Like any good Star Trek Officer – you come prepared!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:22:39
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1988950
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Is there any way of removing old thread tape, or can you just tape over the old tape.
The swearing has begun, it’s low level at the moment.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:23:54
From: transition
ID: 1988951
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Is there any way of removing old thread tape, or can you just tape over the old tape.
The swearing has begun, it’s low level at the moment.

wire brush if can’t unwrap/peel

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:23:56
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1988952
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

Cymek said:

I have a spare pair buts its also at home


My distance glasses are bifocals so I can read with them. I can’t drive without them so in a way I always have my spare pair with me.

Like any good Star Trek Officer – you come prepared!


Always wear a blue tea shirt under the red tea shirt.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:24:50
From: transition
ID: 1988953
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Is there any way of removing old thread tape, or can you just tape over the old tape.
The swearing has begun, it’s low level at the moment.

wire brush if can’t unwrap/peel

though if poly don’t go too hard

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:26:18
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1988954
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

#472: How to Remove Old Teflon Tape from Threaded Fittings – Tank Tip

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:26:49
From: Tamb
ID: 1988955
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

Sláinte mhaith! (Good health) and Dia dhaoibh (Hello!) to one an all!

As the Vulcans say!

It is agreeable to see and read you all today!

Go raibh lá maith agat (It’s the closest I can get to G’day.)

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:27:32
From: Woodie
ID: 1988956
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Is there any way of removing old thread tape, or can you just tape over the old tape.
The swearing has begun, it’s low level at the moment.

Try some metho or turps. Or just plain ordinary old elbow grease.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:27:42
From: Cymek
ID: 1988957
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

My distance glasses are bifocals so I can read with them. I can’t drive without them so in a way I always have my spare pair with me.

Like any good Star Trek Officer – you come prepared!


Always wear a blue tea shirt under the red tea shirt.

Trick the universe so it not sure if I’m disposable or not

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:28:55
From: Tamb
ID: 1988958
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

Cymek said:

I have a spare pair buts its also at home


My distance glasses are bifocals so I can read with them. I can’t drive without them so in a way I always have my spare pair with me.

Like any good Star Trek Officer – you come prepared!



Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:32:00
From: roughbarked
ID: 1988960
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Is there any way of removing old thread tape, or can you just tape over the old tape.
The swearing has begun, it’s low level at the moment.

For a good seal start anew.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:32:23
From: ms spock
ID: 1988961
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Greetings

Forgot my glasses this morning, going to have a wicked headache by the days end, 9 hours I’m at work today.

:((

I see the brains trust has covered many possiblities for you!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:33:06
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1988963
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Is there any way of removing old thread tape, or can you just tape over the old tape.
The swearing has begun, it’s low level at the moment.

Call a plumber.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:34:31
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1988964
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

BuM says: Slight chance of a shower, most likely this afternoon.

And here it is not yet afternoon, and raining.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:35:08
From: transition
ID: 1988965
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


transition said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Is there any way of removing old thread tape, or can you just tape over the old tape.
The swearing has begun, it’s low level at the moment.

wire brush if can’t unwrap/peel

though if poly don’t go too hard

one way, then the other, with the thread, gets you started

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:36:16
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1988966
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


transition said:

transition said:

wire brush if can’t unwrap/peel

though if poly don’t go too hard

one way, then the other, with the thread, gets you started

He might not have a tree stump.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:36:51
From: Cymek
ID: 1988967
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


transition said:

transition said:

wire brush if can’t unwrap/peel

though if poly don’t go too hard

one way, then the other, with the thread, gets you started

Words from the walrus

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:37:49
From: transition
ID: 1988968
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


transition said:

transition said:

though if poly don’t go too hard

one way, then the other, with the thread, gets you started

He might not have a tree stump.

chuckle

just outside door, lady’s seat

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:38:27
From: Tamb
ID: 1988969
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


transition said:

transition said:

though if poly don’t go too hard

one way, then the other, with the thread, gets you started

Words from the walrus



Ah. The serious putty method.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:39:15
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1988970
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


#472: How to Remove Old Teflon Tape from Threaded Fittings – Tank Tip

Ta.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:40:16
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1988971
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

GP today, though I’m feeling a bit like a malingerer. That melanoma is looking more and more like a fading patch of dermatitis.

What’s really causing me problems and a lot of pain is plantar fasciitis, but there’s nothing a GP can do about that.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:44:13
From: transition
ID: 1988973
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

putting out mousebait, in the old plastic tubs hidden in vegetation, has 25mm holes to help the mice find it, put some salt in bottom, discourage the snails

puts snailbait in some tubs, with, but ran out of that, salt’s all I have left for snails, they not likes it

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:45:34
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1988974
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

#472: How to Remove Old Teflon Tape from Threaded Fittings – Tank Tip

Ta.

How to Remove Old Plumbers Tape: 6 Clever Strategies

How to Dissolve Plumbing Teflon Tape

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:56:55
From: Woodie
ID: 1988976
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


transition said:

transition said:

wire brush if can’t unwrap/peel

though if poly don’t go too hard

one way, then the other, with the thread, gets you started

……. and Dettol. Don’t forget the Dettol.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 11:58:05
From: Woodie
ID: 1988977
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


GP today, though I’m feeling a bit like a malingerer. That melanoma is looking more and more like a fading patch of dermatitis.

What’s really causing me problems and a lot of pain is plantar fasciitis, but there’s nothing a GP can do about that.

Amputation??

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:00:37
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1988979
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:

Words from the walrus


Funny how the sight of a name or a word from the past fires off memory cells that have lain idle for a long time.

Just seeing ‘C4’ caused a lot of words, figures, and graphs that i thought (or hoped) i’d forgotten to leap unbidden into my consciousness.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:02:10
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1988980
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Bubblecar said:

GP today, though I’m feeling a bit like a malingerer. That melanoma is looking more and more like a fading patch of dermatitis.

What’s really causing me problems and a lot of pain is plantar fasciitis, but there’s nothing a GP can do about that.

Amputation??

Between 4th and 5th cervical vertebrae.

Cures all known ills.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:03:28
From: Tamb
ID: 1988982
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Cymek said:

Words from the walrus


Funny how the sight of a name or a word from the past fires off memory cells that have lain idle for a long time.

Just seeing ‘C4’ caused a lot of words, figures, and graphs that i thought (or hoped) i’d forgotten to leap unbidden into my consciousness.

A C4th highlander

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:05:50
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1988984
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


captain_spalding said:

Cymek said:

Words from the walrus


Funny how the sight of a name or a word from the past fires off memory cells that have lain idle for a long time.

Just seeing ‘C4’ caused a lot of words, figures, and graphs that i thought (or hoped) i’d forgotten to leap unbidden into my consciousness.

A C4th highlander

Weird lot those high landers, they can’t even wear their hats straight.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:06:16
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1988985
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


captain_spalding said:

Cymek said:

Words from the walrus


Funny how the sight of a name or a word from the past fires off memory cells that have lain idle for a long time.

Just seeing ‘C4’ caused a lot of words, figures, and graphs that i thought (or hoped) i’d forgotten to leap unbidden into my consciousness.

A C4th highlander

(golf clap)

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:09:10
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1988986
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:

Weird lot those high landers, they can’t even wear their hats straight.

David Niven mentioned those hats in one of his books.

The soldiers would sew blades from straight (‘cut-throat’) razors inside the long crease at the top.

In a bar-room fight, it took only a second to whip off the cap and flick it inside out, and it would be swung in a wide arc by the tapes/ribbons at the back of the cap.

A lot of soldiers sported fearsome razor scars.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:10:24
From: Arts
ID: 1988988
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Woodie said:

Bubblecar said:

GP today, though I’m feeling a bit like a malingerer. That melanoma is looking more and more like a fading patch of dermatitis.

What’s really causing me problems and a lot of pain is plantar fasciitis, but there’s nothing a GP can do about that.

Amputation??

Between 4th and 5th cervical vertebrae.

Cures all known ills.

that’s too low, you need to go higher… though a complete amputation at any cervical will cure everything

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:12:42
From: ms spock
ID: 1988990
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


GP today, though I’m feeling a bit like a malingerer. That melanoma is looking more and more like a fading patch of dermatitis.

What’s really causing me problems and a lot of pain is plantar fasciitis, but there’s nothing a GP can do about that.

Best to get it checked Mr Car!

I didn’t go in for my chest infection. I got a lecture how it is now wise to leave it this long.

Even if it is confirmed as dermatitas and it is not a problem. You know for sure. We can all breathe a sigh of relief.

And if it is a problem then you can get it dealt with.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:13:32
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1988991
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News:

‘Driver clocked speeding near 200kph a day after car was released from impound
ABC South East SA / By Sam Bradbrook and Selina Green
Officials in South Australia say they’re fed up with multiple dangerous driving incidents, after a man was recorded driving at 196kph overnight. It comes a day after police detected a learner driver at 143km/h above the speed limit.’

South Australians, eh?

If they can’t find someone to murder them, they’ll try to do it to themselves with their cars.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:13:44
From: ms spock
ID: 1988992
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

#472: How to Remove Old Teflon Tape from Threaded Fittings – Tank Tip

Ta.

How to Remove Old Plumbers Tape: 6 Clever Strategies

How to Dissolve Plumbing Teflon Tape

The things that you all have in your brains are amazing!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:16:42
From: ms spock
ID: 1988993
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Weird lot those high landers, they can’t even wear their hats straight.

David Niven mentioned those hats in one of his books.

The soldiers would sew blades from straight (‘cut-throat’) razors inside the long crease at the top.

In a bar-room fight, it took only a second to whip off the cap and flick it inside out, and it would be swung in a wide arc by the tapes/ribbons at the back of the cap.

A lot of soldiers sported fearsome razor scars.

Curious! I didn’t even know that was a thing!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:20:07
From: sibeen
ID: 1988995
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

South African stalwart Dane van Niekerk will miss the upcoming T20 women’s World Cup after failing a 2km time trial.

Van Niekerk has captained her country in all three formats of the game but came in 18 seconds over the nine-and-a-half minute limit imposed by Cricket South Africa.

The 29-year old said she was “absolutely broken” by the decision.

Van Niekerk has not played international cricket since September 2021 and missed last year’s ODI World Cup due to a broken ankle.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-01/dane-van-niekerk-misses-world-cup-selection/101915560

Jaysus, that’s completely idiotic.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:20:14
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1988996
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


captain_spalding said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Weird lot those high landers, they can’t even wear their hats straight.

David Niven mentioned those hats in one of his books.

The soldiers would sew blades from straight (‘cut-throat’) razors inside the long crease at the top.

In a bar-room fight, it took only a second to whip off the cap and flick it inside out, and it would be swung in a wide arc by the tapes/ribbons at the back of the cap.

A lot of soldiers sported fearsome razor scars.

Curious! I didn’t even know that was a thing!

I’d bet that neither did a lot of the victims, until they learnt of it in a most surprising manner.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:24:04
From: Woodie
ID: 1988998
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


captain_spalding said:

Cymek said:

Words from the walrus


Funny how the sight of a name or a word from the past fires off memory cells that have lain idle for a long time.

Just seeing ‘C4’ caused a lot of words, figures, and graphs that i thought (or hoped) i’d forgotten to leap unbidden into my consciousness.

A C4th highlander

A C4th sign.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:29:07
From: ms spock
ID: 1989000
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ms spock said:

captain_spalding said:

David Niven mentioned those hats in one of his books.

The soldiers would sew blades from straight (‘cut-throat’) razors inside the long crease at the top.

In a bar-room fight, it took only a second to whip off the cap and flick it inside out, and it would be swung in a wide arc by the tapes/ribbons at the back of the cap.

A lot of soldiers sported fearsome razor scars.

Curious! I didn’t even know that was a thing!

I’d bet that neither did a lot of the victims, until they learnt of it in a most surprising manner.

It would be a shock!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:36:59
From: ms spock
ID: 1989012
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

My distance glasses are bifocals so I can read with them. I can’t drive without them so in a way I always have my spare pair with me.

Like any good Star Trek Officer – you come prepared!


Always wear a blue tea shirt under the red tea shirt.

Absolutely.

You are wise in the ways of Star Trek Tau.Neutrino. Taking off the red t-shirt prevents imminent death.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:40:10
From: ms spock
ID: 1989013
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Sláinte mhaith! (Good health) and Dia dhaoibh (Hello!) to one an all!

As the Vulcans say!

It is agreeable to see and read you all today!

Go raibh lá maith agat (It’s the closest I can get to G’day.)

:))))

That’s Thank you Tamb! So cute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYJjFW80ejM

Other suggestions include

Dia duit! (one person)
Dia Daoibh (several people)

Go raibh lá maith agat is always an acceptable response!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:40:37
From: ms spock
ID: 1989014
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

ms spock said:

Like any good Star Trek Officer – you come prepared!


Always wear a blue tea shirt under the red tea shirt.

Trick the universe so it not sure if I’m disposable or not

Interesting strategy!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:40:55
From: Tamb
ID: 1989015
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

ms spock said:

Like any good Star Trek Officer – you come prepared!


Always wear a blue tea shirt under the red tea shirt.

Absolutely.

You are wise in the ways of Star Trek Tau.Neutrino. Taking off the red t-shirt prevents imminent death.

I’m wearing a kind of navy blue t-shirt. Sort of blue with a hint of red. Does that mean I’m protected?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:41:19
From: ms spock
ID: 1989016
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

My distance glasses are bifocals so I can read with them. I can’t drive without them so in a way I always have my spare pair with me.

Like any good Star Trek Officer – you come prepared!



Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:45:39
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989019
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

Like any good Star Trek Officer – you come prepared!




Spock was clever, he always wore a blue tea shirt.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:46:50
From: ms spock
ID: 1989020
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Always wear a blue tea shirt under the red tea shirt.

Absolutely.

You are wise in the ways of Star Trek Tau.Neutrino. Taking off the red t-shirt prevents imminent death.

I’m wearing a kind of navy blue t-shirt. Sort of blue with a hint of red. Does that mean I’m protected?

It does mean you are protected Tamb!

takes a deep sigh of relief

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:47:59
From: Tamb
ID: 1989021
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:


Spock was clever, he always wore a blue tea shirt.

Ah. The great dilemma. Thumb parallel to fingers or at an angle.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:48:17
From: ms spock
ID: 1989022
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:


Spock was clever, he always wore a blue tea shirt.

Spock indeed was clever. He was into protection from imminent death.

Leonard Nimoy also went on strike to make sure other workers on the set got paid their fair share.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:49:08
From: Tamb
ID: 1989023
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

Absolutely.

You are wise in the ways of Star Trek Tau.Neutrino. Taking off the red t-shirt prevents imminent death.

I’m wearing a kind of navy blue t-shirt. Sort of blue with a hint of red. Does that mean I’m protected?

It does mean you are protected Tamb!

takes a deep sigh of relief


Wonderful. We can have more conversations then.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:50:39
From: Tamb
ID: 1989024
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

ms spock said:


Spock was clever, he always wore a blue tea shirt.

Spock indeed was clever. He was into protection from imminent death.

Leonard Nimoy also went on strike to make sure other workers on the set got paid their fair share.


It was prolly pon farr time.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 12:55:51
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989025
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:05:03
From: ms spock
ID: 1989027
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

ms spock said:


Spock was clever, he always wore a blue tea shirt.

Ah. The great dilemma. Thumb parallel to fingers or at an angle.

Ah The great dilemma indeed Tamb! :)

I am hoping there’s room for all angles to be accepted. Everyone had to decided what works for them

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:09:47
From: ms spock
ID: 1989028
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

I’m wearing a kind of navy blue t-shirt. Sort of blue with a hint of red. Does that mean I’m protected?

It does mean you are protected Tamb!

takes a deep sigh of relief


Wonderful. We can have more conversations then.

It is wonderful that we can have more conversations then Tamb. I feel so lucky to have the forum to come bacn see people I have missed so much!

And some ideas for a couple of Irish phrases – just in case of an intergalatic situation that arises and you need a few phrases to save humanity! Irish phrases to copy and paste

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:10:31
From: Tamb
ID: 1989029
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Spock was clever, he always wore a blue tea shirt.

Ah. The great dilemma. Thumb parallel to fingers or at an angle.

Ah The great dilemma indeed Tamb! :)

I am hoping there’s room for all angles to be accepted. Everyone had to decided what works for them

The angle thumb suits me. If I try the parallel thumb my ring finger gets unruly.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:11:07
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989030
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

#472: How to Remove Old Teflon Tape from Threaded Fittings – Tank Tip

Ta.

LOL, wire brush. no Dettol.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:11:53
From: ms spock
ID: 1989031
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Spock was clever, he always wore a blue tea shirt.

Spock indeed was clever. He was into protection from imminent death.

Leonard Nimoy also went on strike to make sure other workers on the set got paid their fair share.


It was prolly pon farr time.

giggles

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:17:57
From: Cymek
ID: 1989032
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

Ah. The great dilemma. Thumb parallel to fingers or at an angle.

Ah The great dilemma indeed Tamb! :)

I am hoping there’s room for all angles to be accepted. Everyone had to decided what works for them

The angle thumb suits me. If I try the parallel thumb my ring finger gets unruly.

This is the more hip version

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:18:20
From: ms spock
ID: 1989033
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

Ah. The great dilemma. Thumb parallel to fingers or at an angle.

Ah The great dilemma indeed Tamb! :)

I am hoping there’s room for all angles to be accepted. Everyone had to decided what works for them

The angle thumb suits me. If I try the parallel thumb my ring finger gets unruly.

You have done your research and you can now write up your conclusive results Tamb! :)

You have found what works for you!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:18:53
From: Tamb
ID: 1989034
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

It does mean you are protected Tamb!

takes a deep sigh of relief


Wonderful. We can have more conversations then.

It is wonderful that we can have more conversations then Tamb. I feel so lucky to have the forum to come bacn see people I have missed so much!

And some ideas for a couple of Irish phrases – just in case of an intergalatic situation that arises and you need a few phrases to save humanity! Irish phrases to copy and paste


I love the “My hovercraft is full of eels” at the end.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:20:50
From: transition
ID: 1989035
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

nice big cup of tea reckon’s needed

sees three mice just outside left of the door scamper across low part of the ground cover succulent trodden down by yours truly, they be into the new bait just put in the tubs, has a good party momentarily, temporarily, won’t end well for them

puts out more mouse bait shortly

it’s war on mice, and snails, and slugs

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:21:08
From: Tamb
ID: 1989036
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

Ah The great dilemma indeed Tamb! :)

I am hoping there’s room for all angles to be accepted. Everyone had to decided what works for them

The angle thumb suits me. If I try the parallel thumb my ring finger gets unruly.

You have done your research and you can now write up your conclusive results Tamb! :)

You have found what works for you!


On the path to contentment.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:30:37
From: ms spock
ID: 1989041
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

#472: How to Remove Old Teflon Tape from Threaded Fittings – Tank Tip

Ta.

LOL, wire brush. no Dettol.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:31:27
From: ms spock
ID: 1989042
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

Ah The great dilemma indeed Tamb! :)

I am hoping there’s room for all angles to be accepted. Everyone had to decided what works for them

The angle thumb suits me. If I try the parallel thumb my ring finger gets unruly.

This is the more hip version


Let’s face it Cymek! You have always been ahead of your time!

Hope you got some glasses and won’t have a corker of a headache in 9 hours.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:33:53
From: ms spock
ID: 1989043
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

Wonderful. We can have more conversations then.

It is wonderful that we can have more conversations then Tamb. I feel so lucky to have the forum to come bacn see people I have missed so much!

And some ideas for a couple of Irish phrases – just in case of an intergalatic situation that arises and you need a few phrases to save humanity! Irish phrases to copy and paste


I love the “My hovercraft is full of eels” at the end.

It is FANTASTIC! It always make me smile!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:34:17
From: ms spock
ID: 1989044
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


nice big cup of tea reckon’s needed

sees three mice just outside left of the door scamper across low part of the ground cover succulent trodden down by yours truly, they be into the new bait just put in the tubs, has a good party momentarily, temporarily, won’t end well for them

puts out more mouse bait shortly

it’s war on mice, and snails, and slugs

The price is eternal vigilance transition!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:37:39
From: ms spock
ID: 1989046
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

The angle thumb suits me. If I try the parallel thumb my ring finger gets unruly.

You have done your research and you can now write up your conclusive results Tamb! :)

You have found what works for you!


On the path to contentment.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:38:43
From: Tamb
ID: 1989047
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


transition said:

nice big cup of tea reckon’s needed

sees three mice just outside left of the door scamper across low part of the ground cover succulent trodden down by yours truly, they be into the new bait just put in the tubs, has a good party momentarily, temporarily, won’t end well for them

puts out more mouse bait shortly

it’s war on mice, and snails, and slugs

The price is eternal vigilance transition!


I don’t poison anything because other things eat the carcases.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:41:03
From: Tamb
ID: 1989049
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

You have done your research and you can now write up your conclusive results Tamb! :)

You have found what works for you!


On the path to contentment.



How did you begin your interest in Irish Gaelic?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:44:23
From: ms spock
ID: 1989050
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

transition said:

nice big cup of tea reckon’s needed

sees three mice just outside left of the door scamper across low part of the ground cover succulent trodden down by yours truly, they be into the new bait just put in the tubs, has a good party momentarily, temporarily, won’t end well for them

puts out more mouse bait shortly

it’s war on mice, and snails, and slugs

The price is eternal vigilance transition!


I don’t poison anything because other things eat the carcases.

That’s the tricky bit hey?

That’s where ducks and chickens can come in handy.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:46:43
From: ms spock
ID: 1989051
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

On the path to contentment.



How did you begin your interest in Irish Gaelic?

I have had it all my life Tamb. My grandfather spoke Irish to his mother and grandmother. They were severely punished for speaking Irish at school. You had to speak English. English was seen as the language of the oppressors.

I always wondered what I would be like if I became a Gaeilge speaking person? If there were ways of thinking and feeling that I didn’t know because I didn’t speak Irish Gaelic. I have wanted to learn it my whole life.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:48:32
From: Tamb
ID: 1989052
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

The price is eternal vigilance transition!


I don’t poison anything because other things eat the carcases.

That’s the tricky bit hey?

That’s where ducks and chickens can come in handy.


If I have to kill something I use carbon monoxide. Painless, fast & no poisonous residue.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 13:52:05
From: Tamb
ID: 1989053
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:



How did you begin your interest in Irish Gaelic?

I have had it all my life Tamb. My grandfather spoke Irish to his mother and grandmother. They were severely punished for speaking Irish at school. You had to speak English. English was seen as the language of the oppressors.

I always wondered what I would be like if I became a Gaeilge speaking person? If there were ways of thinking and feeling that I didn’t know because I didn’t speak Irish Gaelic. I have wanted to learn it my whole life.


A family connection is the nicest reason. Learning is then a pleasure not a chore.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 14:01:28
From: ms spock
ID: 1989056
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

How did you begin your interest in Irish Gaelic?

I have had it all my life Tamb. My grandfather spoke Irish to his mother and grandmother. They were severely punished for speaking Irish at school. You had to speak English. English was seen as the language of the oppressors.

I always wondered what I would be like if I became a Gaeilge speaking person? If there were ways of thinking and feeling that I didn’t know because I didn’t speak Irish Gaelic. I have wanted to learn it my whole life.


A family connection is the nicest reason. Learning is then a pleasure not a chore.

And I have met some crazy, entertaining, and hilarious folks. There’s even a LGBTIQQA+ group and that is really chilled and easy to be in. Though I do spend so much time translating everything that they send to me!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 14:01:49
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989057
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Pump installed and works fine, a few leaks but they can wait till another day.
Had to dig out and lower the slab and buggerise around with the piping in the hot sun, my neck is redder than usual now.
And there was an ants nest under the slab and they bit me.
I can have a shower now, praise be.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 14:05:34
From: ms spock
ID: 1989060
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Pump installed and works fine, a few leaks but they can wait till another day.
Had to dig out and lower the slab and buggerise around with the piping in the hot sun, my neck is redder than usual now.
And there was an ants nest under the slab and they bit me.
I can have a shower now, praise be.

Looks impressive to me!

shakes fist a biting ants

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 14:08:31
From: Woodie
ID: 1989062
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Pump installed and works fine, a few leaks but they can wait till another day.
Had to dig out and lower the slab and buggerise around with the piping in the hot sun, my neck is redder than usual now.
And there was an ants nest under the slab and they bit me.
I can have a shower now, praise be.

I take it you now have no need for my rather large hammer.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 14:15:34
From: ms spock
ID: 1989063
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Can’t find the music thread.

This one is too good to let go by.

Talisk – Echo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZknSJwYdayI

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 14:19:34
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989065
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Pump installed and works fine, a few leaks but they can wait till another day.
Had to dig out and lower the slab and buggerise around with the piping in the hot sun, my neck is redder than usual now.
And there was an ants nest under the slab and they bit me.
I can have a shower now, praise be.

I take it you now have no need for my rather large hammer.

Thanks but not needed, I bought a rather large pair of stilsons for the job but didn’t need them either.
Cost me 50 dorrah.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 14:42:43
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989069
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

transition said:

nice big cup of tea reckon’s needed

sees three mice just outside left of the door scamper across low part of the ground cover succulent trodden down by yours truly, they be into the new bait just put in the tubs, has a good party momentarily, temporarily, won’t end well for them

puts out more mouse bait shortly

it’s war on mice, and snails, and slugs

The price is eternal vigilance transition!


I don’t poison anything because other things eat the carcases.

Yes. Though rat bait doesn’t seem to bther the meat ants.
Snail bait often kills bluetongues.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 14:44:04
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989070
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

The price is eternal vigilance transition!


I don’t poison anything because other things eat the carcases.

That’s the tricky bit hey?

That’s where ducks and chickens can come in handy.

Ducks eat snails. Chooks don’t.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 15:48:24
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989081
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News:

‘‘Ridiculously low’: Prime Minister slams penalty for lost radioactive material as hunt drags on
By Cason Ho and Amelia Searson
As the search continues for a dangerous radioactive capsule in WA, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has scoffed at the potential penalty that could be imposed on the companies behind the loss.’

I don’t know all the precise details and circumstances, but from what i’ve read and understood, this tiny pellet:

1. fell out of the container it was in

2. then fell through some gap in the floor or whatever of the vehicle.

If this is correct, then they were half-arsing it all the way.

It sounds like they were using a container which was quite unsuitable for such an item, and that they simply chucked it in there and hoped for the best.

Had they so much as put it in a standard letter envelope inside the container, then probably none of this hoo-ha would have arisen.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 15:51:30
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989085
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ABC News:

‘‘Ridiculously low’: Prime Minister slams penalty for lost radioactive material as hunt drags on
By Cason Ho and Amelia Searson
As the search continues for a dangerous radioactive capsule in WA, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has scoffed at the potential penalty that could be imposed on the companies behind the loss.’

I don’t know all the precise details and circumstances, but from what i’ve read and understood, this tiny pellet:

1. fell out of the container it was in

2. then fell through some gap in the floor or whatever of the vehicle.

If this is correct, then they were half-arsing it all the way.

It sounds like they were using a container which was quite unsuitable for such an item, and that they simply chucked it in there and hoped for the best.

Had they so much as put it in a standard letter envelope inside the container, then probably none of this hoo-ha would have arisen.

So little so much too late.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 15:57:16
From: Michael V
ID: 1989089
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

I don’t poison anything because other things eat the carcases.

That’s the tricky bit hey?

That’s where ducks and chickens can come in handy.

Ducks eat snails. Chooks don’t.

My chooks in Armidale had no problems snuffling up snails.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 15:59:00
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989090
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


roughbarked said:

Ducks eat snails. Chooks don’t.

My chooks in Armidale had no problems snuffling up snails.

We never had snails or slugs up near Bundaberg because we had bearded dragon lizards which ate all of them.

In Toowoomba, we have no such helpful predators, and we have snails and slugs.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:00:08
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989091
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


roughbarked said:

ms spock said:

That’s the tricky bit hey?

That’s where ducks and chickens can come in handy.

Ducks eat snails. Chooks don’t.

My chooks in Armidale had no problems snuffling up snails.

Once the shell is broken they are good with them.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:00:45
From: Cymek
ID: 1989092
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ABC News:

‘‘Ridiculously low’: Prime Minister slams penalty for lost radioactive material as hunt drags on
By Cason Ho and Amelia Searson
As the search continues for a dangerous radioactive capsule in WA, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has scoffed at the potential penalty that could be imposed on the companies behind the loss.’

I don’t know all the precise details and circumstances, but from what i’ve read and understood, this tiny pellet:

1. fell out of the container it was in

2. then fell through some gap in the floor or whatever of the vehicle.

If this is correct, then they were half-arsing it all the way.

It sounds like they were using a container which was quite unsuitable for such an item, and that they simply chucked it in there and hoped for the best.

Had they so much as put it in a standard letter envelope inside the container, then probably none of this hoo-ha would have arisen.

They used this company to transport it

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:02:41
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989093
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

Ducks eat snails. Chooks don’t.

My chooks in Armidale had no problems snuffling up snails.

We never had snails or slugs up near Bundaberg because we had bearded dragon lizards which ate all of them.

In Toowoomba, we have no such helpful predators, and we have snails and slugs.

I have bluetongues shinglebacks and bearded dragons. The French snails which used to be in the hundreds per square metre are rarely seen since the long dry but I have probably millions of the white Italian snails. Heaps of slugs but my main predator of seedlings is the humble slater.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:02:50
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989094
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“Millions of Australians have been slugged with new price hikes as the cost of living crisis worsens.
Beer prices will soar to as much as $12 a schooner after the Albanese government’s 3.7 per cent tax increase came into effect Wednesday, the second rise in six months.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/anthony-albanese-increases-beer-tax-as-energy-bills-soar/ar-AA16XNLQ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3f0b712179214382af1786c06d923260

Pensioners who like a beer will just have to cut back on food.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:03:48
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989095
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


captain_spalding said:

ABC News:

‘‘Ridiculously low’: Prime Minister slams penalty for lost radioactive material as hunt drags on
By Cason Ho and Amelia Searson
As the search continues for a dangerous radioactive capsule in WA, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has scoffed at the potential penalty that could be imposed on the companies behind the loss.’

I don’t know all the precise details and circumstances, but from what i’ve read and understood, this tiny pellet:

1. fell out of the container it was in

2. then fell through some gap in the floor or whatever of the vehicle.

If this is correct, then they were half-arsing it all the way.

It sounds like they were using a container which was quite unsuitable for such an item, and that they simply chucked it in there and hoped for the best.

Had they so much as put it in a standard letter envelope inside the container, then probably none of this hoo-ha would have arisen.

They used this company to transport it

No idea how swift they were but they did shift it to somewhere no one knows.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:04:28
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989096
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


“Millions of Australians have been slugged with new price hikes as the cost of living crisis worsens.
Beer prices will soar to as much as $12 a schooner after the Albanese government’s 3.7 per cent tax increase came into effect Wednesday, the second rise in six months.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/anthony-albanese-increases-beer-tax-as-energy-bills-soar/ar-AA16XNLQ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3f0b712179214382af1786c06d923260

Pensioners who like a beer will just have to cut back on food.

One can see he is no Bob Hawke.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:04:40
From: buffy
ID: 1989097
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

I don’t poison anything because other things eat the carcases.

That’s the tricky bit hey?

That’s where ducks and chickens can come in handy.

Ducks eat snails. Chooks don’t.

Some chooks do. I’ve had chooks prepared to open the packet. But mostly they would prefer slugs so they don’t have to.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:08:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989098
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

ms spock said:

That’s the tricky bit hey?

That’s where ducks and chickens can come in handy.

Ducks eat snails. Chooks don’t.

Some chooks do. I’ve had chooks prepared to open the packet. But mostly they would prefer slugs so they don’t have to.

Some or many chooks are too timid about cracking the shell. It only takes the one though and the rest learn quickly.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:10:13
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989100
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Sometimes, you can wish that you’d started a project from the other end.

Someone gave me a sliding mitre saw, and asked if i could see why it wouldn’t work.

Started with the plug; all fine, nothing wrong there,

Cable is good, tested with the multimeter, no breaks.

Switch is good, again the multimeter, when connected this way and that, says it’s doing what it should be doing.

Start-up capacitor? Hmm…charge it up, discharge it (the wrong way, zap!, oww!). OK it’s fine.

No problems with the bearings, smooth as silk, no burnt smell from the motor.

I didn’t really want to go fighting to get the casing of and go the whole hog on it, but what else could it be?

Think, think, think. Carbon brushes?

What carbon brushes? There’s no carbon brushes there! There should be, but not a skerrick!

Had i started at the motor end, it probably would have been the first thing i checked.

New brushes ordered via eBay, here in 3-4 days, less than $6.00.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:12:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989101
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

They call it Elephant garlic

I’ve always grown it as Russian garlic but it is more closely related to leek.
The story doesn’t tell us why he grows it. I wasn’t aware of a market for it.
To think I could have been famous heaps of times had I known it was something to be famous about.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:12:35
From: buffy
ID: 1989102
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Sometimes, you can wish that you’d started a project from the other end.

Someone gave me a sliding mitre saw, and asked if i could see why it wouldn’t work.

Started with the plug; all fine, nothing wrong there,

Cable is good, tested with the multimeter, no breaks.

Switch is good, again the multimeter, when connected this way and that, says it’s doing what it should be doing.

Start-up capacitor? Hmm…charge it up, discharge it (the wrong way, zap!, oww!). OK it’s fine.

No problems with the bearings, smooth as silk, no burnt smell from the motor.

I didn’t really want to go fighting to get the casing of and go the whole hog on it, but what else could it be?

Think, think, think. Carbon brushes?

What carbon brushes? There’s no carbon brushes there! There should be, but not a skerrick!

Had i started at the motor end, it probably would have been the first thing i checked.

New brushes ordered via eBay, here in 3-4 days, less than $6.00.

I’m sure there is a name for that phenomenon. Whatever you are looking for is always in the last place you look. Whatever ails a machine is always in the last component you check. Etc.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:13:39
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989103
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


captain_spalding said:

Sometimes, you can wish that you’d started a project from the other end.

Someone gave me a sliding mitre saw, and asked if i could see why it wouldn’t work.

Started with the plug; all fine, nothing wrong there,

Cable is good, tested with the multimeter, no breaks.

Switch is good, again the multimeter, when connected this way and that, says it’s doing what it should be doing.

Start-up capacitor? Hmm…charge it up, discharge it (the wrong way, zap!, oww!). OK it’s fine.

No problems with the bearings, smooth as silk, no burnt smell from the motor.

I didn’t really want to go fighting to get the casing of and go the whole hog on it, but what else could it be?

Think, think, think. Carbon brushes?

What carbon brushes? There’s no carbon brushes there! There should be, but not a skerrick!

Had i started at the motor end, it probably would have been the first thing i checked.

New brushes ordered via eBay, here in 3-4 days, less than $6.00.

I’m sure there is a name for that phenomenon. Whatever you are looking for is always in the last place you look. Whatever ails a machine is always in the last component you check. Etc.

Hidden in plain sight?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:16:23
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989105
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Sometimes, you can wish that you’d started a project from the other end.

Someone gave me a sliding mitre saw, and asked if i could see why it wouldn’t work.

Started with the plug; all fine, nothing wrong there,

Cable is good, tested with the multimeter, no breaks.

Switch is good, again the multimeter, when connected this way and that, says it’s doing what it should be doing.

Start-up capacitor? Hmm…charge it up, discharge it (the wrong way, zap!, oww!). OK it’s fine.

No problems with the bearings, smooth as silk, no burnt smell from the motor.

I didn’t really want to go fighting to get the casing of and go the whole hog on it, but what else could it be?

Think, think, think. Carbon brushes?

What carbon brushes? There’s no carbon brushes there! There should be, but not a skerrick!

Had i started at the motor end, it probably would have been the first thing i checked.

New brushes ordered via eBay, here in 3-4 days, less than $6.00.

Good work pilgrim.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:19:02
From: sibeen
ID: 1989106
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


“Millions of Australians have been slugged with new price hikes as the cost of living crisis worsens.
Beer prices will soar to as much as $12 a schooner after the Albanese government’s 3.7 per cent tax increase came into effect Wednesday, the second rise in six months.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/anthony-albanese-increases-beer-tax-as-energy-bills-soar/ar-AA16XNLQ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3f0b712179214382af1786c06d923260

Pensioners who like a beer will just have to cut back on food.

Let’s be fair, this is no more an Albanese tax hike than it was for any of the other Prime Ministers who benefited from the decision, made by Keating IIRC, to make the tax hike on beer and ciggies an automatic twice a year rise, rather than sticking it in the budget. Both parties have been quite happy to go along with it with nary a murmur of dissent.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:19:10
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989107
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


captain_spalding said:

Sometimes, you can wish that you’d started a project from the other end.

Someone gave me a sliding mitre saw, and asked if i could see why it wouldn’t work.

Started with the plug; all fine, nothing wrong there,

Cable is good, tested with the multimeter, no breaks.

Switch is good, again the multimeter, when connected this way and that, says it’s doing what it should be doing.

Start-up capacitor? Hmm…charge it up, discharge it (the wrong way, zap!, oww!). OK it’s fine.

No problems with the bearings, smooth as silk, no burnt smell from the motor.

I didn’t really want to go fighting to get the casing of and go the whole hog on it, but what else could it be?

Think, think, think. Carbon brushes?

What carbon brushes? There’s no carbon brushes there! There should be, but not a skerrick!

Had i started at the motor end, it probably would have been the first thing i checked.

New brushes ordered via eBay, here in 3-4 days, less than $6.00.

Good work pilgrim.

I’m just astonished by my talent for always approaching a problem from the ‘far’ end, and never making the right guess first.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:19:41
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989108
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Peak Warming Man said:

“Millions of Australians have been slugged with new price hikes as the cost of living crisis worsens.
Beer prices will soar to as much as $12 a schooner after the Albanese government’s 3.7 per cent tax increase came into effect Wednesday, the second rise in six months.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/anthony-albanese-increases-beer-tax-as-energy-bills-soar/ar-AA16XNLQ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3f0b712179214382af1786c06d923260

Pensioners who like a beer will just have to cut back on food.

Let’s be fair, this is no more an Albanese tax hike than it was for any of the other Prime Ministers who benefited from the decision, made by Keating IIRC, to make the tax hike on beer and ciggies an automatic twice a year rise, rather than sticking it in the budget. Both parties have been quite happy to go along with it with nary a murmur of dissent.

Well, time to get the home brew kit out of storage…

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:19:58
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989109
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Peak Warming Man said:

“Millions of Australians have been slugged with new price hikes as the cost of living crisis worsens.
Beer prices will soar to as much as $12 a schooner after the Albanese government’s 3.7 per cent tax increase came into effect Wednesday, the second rise in six months.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/anthony-albanese-increases-beer-tax-as-energy-bills-soar/ar-AA16XNLQ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3f0b712179214382af1786c06d923260

Pensioners who like a beer will just have to cut back on food.

Let’s be fair, this is no more an Albanese tax hike than it was for any of the other Prime Ministers who benefited from the decision, made by Keating IIRC, to make the tax hike on beer and ciggies an automatic twice a year rise, rather than sticking it in the budget. Both parties have been quite happy to go along with it with nary a murmur of dissent.

It has been a well fed trough over time.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:20:31
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989110
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Peak Warming Man said:

captain_spalding said:

Sometimes, you can wish that you’d started a project from the other end.

Someone gave me a sliding mitre saw, and asked if i could see why it wouldn’t work.

Started with the plug; all fine, nothing wrong there,

Cable is good, tested with the multimeter, no breaks.

Switch is good, again the multimeter, when connected this way and that, says it’s doing what it should be doing.

Start-up capacitor? Hmm…charge it up, discharge it (the wrong way, zap!, oww!). OK it’s fine.

No problems with the bearings, smooth as silk, no burnt smell from the motor.

I didn’t really want to go fighting to get the casing of and go the whole hog on it, but what else could it be?

Think, think, think. Carbon brushes?

What carbon brushes? There’s no carbon brushes there! There should be, but not a skerrick!

Had i started at the motor end, it probably would have been the first thing i checked.

New brushes ordered via eBay, here in 3-4 days, less than $6.00.

Good work pilgrim.

I’m just astonished by my talent for always approaching a problem from the ‘far’ end, and never making the right guess first.

My guess is that you were working from the safe end first.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:21:17
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989111
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


sibeen said:

Peak Warming Man said:

“Millions of Australians have been slugged with new price hikes as the cost of living crisis worsens.
Beer prices will soar to as much as $12 a schooner after the Albanese government’s 3.7 per cent tax increase came into effect Wednesday, the second rise in six months.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/anthony-albanese-increases-beer-tax-as-energy-bills-soar/ar-AA16XNLQ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3f0b712179214382af1786c06d923260

Pensioners who like a beer will just have to cut back on food.

Let’s be fair, this is no more an Albanese tax hike than it was for any of the other Prime Ministers who benefited from the decision, made by Keating IIRC, to make the tax hike on beer and ciggies an automatic twice a year rise, rather than sticking it in the budget. Both parties have been quite happy to go along with it with nary a murmur of dissent.

Well, time to get the home brew kit out of storage…

✅

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:22:51
From: Woodie
ID: 1989112
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


captain_spalding said:

ABC News:

‘‘Ridiculously low’: Prime Minister slams penalty for lost radioactive material as hunt drags on
By Cason Ho and Amelia Searson
As the search continues for a dangerous radioactive capsule in WA, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has scoffed at the potential penalty that could be imposed on the companies behind the loss.’

I don’t know all the precise details and circumstances, but from what i’ve read and understood, this tiny pellet:

1. fell out of the container it was in

2. then fell through some gap in the floor or whatever of the vehicle.

If this is correct, then they were half-arsing it all the way.

It sounds like they were using a container which was quite unsuitable for such an item, and that they simply chucked it in there and hoped for the best.

Had they so much as put it in a standard letter envelope inside the container, then probably none of this hoo-ha would have arisen.

They used this company to transport it

Sheesh….. Easy peasy. Just try at night only to find it. Just find the bit road that glows in the dark.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:24:09
From: Woodie
ID: 1989113
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


“Millions of Australians have been slugged with new price hikes as the cost of living crisis worsens.
Beer prices will soar to as much as $12 a schooner after the Albanese government’s 3.7 per cent tax increase came into effect Wednesday, the second rise in six months.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/anthony-albanese-increases-beer-tax-as-energy-bills-soar/ar-AA16XNLQ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3f0b712179214382af1786c06d923260

Pensioners who like a beer will just have to cut back on food.

Be cheaper to drink rocket fuel.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:26:39
From: Woodie
ID: 1989114
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Sometimes, you can wish that you’d started a project from the other end.

Someone gave me a sliding mitre saw, and asked if i could see why it wouldn’t work.

Started with the plug; all fine, nothing wrong there,

Cable is good, tested with the multimeter, no breaks.

Switch is good, again the multimeter, when connected this way and that, says it’s doing what it should be doing.

Start-up capacitor? Hmm…charge it up, discharge it (the wrong way, zap!, oww!). OK it’s fine.

No problems with the bearings, smooth as silk, no burnt smell from the motor.

I didn’t really want to go fighting to get the casing of and go the whole hog on it, but what else could it be?

Think, think, think. Carbon brushes?

What carbon brushes? There’s no carbon brushes there! There should be, but not a skerrick!

Had i started at the motor end, it probably would have been the first thing i checked.

New brushes ordered via eBay, here in 3-4 days, less than $6.00.

If ya’d done that first, ya mitre had a saw much quicker.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:26:52
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989115
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Peak Warming Man said:

“Millions of Australians have been slugged with new price hikes as the cost of living crisis worsens.
Beer prices will soar to as much as $12 a schooner after the Albanese government’s 3.7 per cent tax increase came into effect Wednesday, the second rise in six months.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/anthony-albanese-increases-beer-tax-as-energy-bills-soar/ar-AA16XNLQ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3f0b712179214382af1786c06d923260

Pensioners who like a beer will just have to cut back on food.

Be cheaper to drink rocket fuel.

There was something that truckies took that they called rocket fuel. Dunno what it was but it was apparently high octane.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:27:18
From: Cymek
ID: 1989116
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


captain_spalding said:

sibeen said:

Let’s be fair, this is no more an Albanese tax hike than it was for any of the other Prime Ministers who benefited from the decision, made by Keating IIRC, to make the tax hike on beer and ciggies an automatic twice a year rise, rather than sticking it in the budget. Both parties have been quite happy to go along with it with nary a murmur of dissent.

Well, time to get the home brew kit out of storage…

✅

When does a price rise outweigh its returns
I don’t drink beer but would you people pay that much money for a schooner

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:28:20
From: Woodie
ID: 1989117
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


sibeen said:

Peak Warming Man said:

“Millions of Australians have been slugged with new price hikes as the cost of living crisis worsens.
Beer prices will soar to as much as $12 a schooner after the Albanese government’s 3.7 per cent tax increase came into effect Wednesday, the second rise in six months.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/anthony-albanese-increases-beer-tax-as-energy-bills-soar/ar-AA16XNLQ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3f0b712179214382af1786c06d923260

Pensioners who like a beer will just have to cut back on food.

Let’s be fair, this is no more an Albanese tax hike than it was for any of the other Prime Ministers who benefited from the decision, made by Keating IIRC, to make the tax hike on beer and ciggies an automatic twice a year rise, rather than sticking it in the budget. Both parties have been quite happy to go along with it with nary a murmur of dissent.

Well, time to get the home brew kit out of storage…

….. or we could all go round Trev’s place.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:32:28
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989118
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

Well, time to get the home brew kit out of storage…

✅

When does a price rise outweigh its returns
I don’t drink beer but would you people pay that much money for a schooner

Wages would have to go up.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:32:33
From: btm
ID: 1989119
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Peak Warming Man said:

captain_spalding said:

Sometimes, you can wish that you’d started a project from the other end.

Someone gave me a sliding mitre saw, and asked if i could see why it wouldn’t work.

Started with the plug; all fine, nothing wrong there,

Cable is good, tested with the multimeter, no breaks.

Switch is good, again the multimeter, when connected this way and that, says it’s doing what it should be doing.

Start-up capacitor? Hmm…charge it up, discharge it (the wrong way, zap!, oww!). OK it’s fine.

No problems with the bearings, smooth as silk, no burnt smell from the motor.

I didn’t really want to go fighting to get the casing of and go the whole hog on it, but what else could it be?

Think, think, think. Carbon brushes?

What carbon brushes? There’s no carbon brushes there! There should be, but not a skerrick!

Had i started at the motor end, it probably would have been the first thing i checked.

New brushes ordered via eBay, here in 3-4 days, less than $6.00.

Good work pilgrim.

I’m just astonished by my talent for always approaching a problem from the ‘far’ end, and never making the right guess first.

But you didn’t. You went about it systematically, starting at the end that was the most likely to be the problem.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:32:55
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989120
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


captain_spalding said:

sibeen said:

Let’s be fair, this is no more an Albanese tax hike than it was for any of the other Prime Ministers who benefited from the decision, made by Keating IIRC, to make the tax hike on beer and ciggies an automatic twice a year rise, rather than sticking it in the budget. Both parties have been quite happy to go along with it with nary a murmur of dissent.

Well, time to get the home brew kit out of storage…

….. or we could all go round Trev’s place.

I’m sure he would love to meet us all, once.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:34:28
From: Cymek
ID: 1989122
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Cymek said:

roughbarked said:

✅

When does a price rise outweigh its returns
I don’t drink beer but would you people pay that much money for a schooner

Wages would have to go up.

Significantly I’d imagine.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:34:28
From: Michael V
ID: 1989123
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

Well, time to get the home brew kit out of storage…

✅

When does a price rise outweigh its returns
I don’t drink beer but would you people pay that much money for a schooner

Not a snowflake’s chance in hell.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:34:52
From: Michael V
ID: 1989124
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


captain_spalding said:

sibeen said:

Let’s be fair, this is no more an Albanese tax hike than it was for any of the other Prime Ministers who benefited from the decision, made by Keating IIRC, to make the tax hike on beer and ciggies an automatic twice a year rise, rather than sticking it in the budget. Both parties have been quite happy to go along with it with nary a murmur of dissent.

Well, time to get the home brew kit out of storage…

….. or we could all go round Trev’s place.

Now there’s an idea.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:35:06
From: Cymek
ID: 1989125
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Woodie said:

captain_spalding said:

Well, time to get the home brew kit out of storage…

….. or we could all go round Trev’s place.

I’m sure he would love to meet us all, once.

Perhaps Gloworms house

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:36:14
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989127
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


roughbarked said:

Woodie said:

….. or we could all go round Trev’s place.

I’m sure he would love to meet us all, once.

Perhaps Gloworms house

I’m beginning to doubt that she is still with us.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:36:45
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989128
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Is there any way of removing old thread tape, or can you just tape over the old tape.
The swearing has begun, it’s low level at the moment.

Very often you can tape over the old tape, although sometimes a ridge forms of accumulated tape that will not enter the receiving thread.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:40:31
From: Cymek
ID: 1989129
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Cymek said:

roughbarked said:

✅

When does a price rise outweigh its returns
I don’t drink beer but would you people pay that much money for a schooner

Not a snowflake’s chance in hell.

Yes that’s what I mean, somethings become so expensive sales would drop hugely as people aren’t willing to pay that much.
It’s scarcity becomes irrelevant and you get stuck with the product.
I was thinking of fresh fruit and vegetables, shops ask a price so high you couldn’t justify buying it, your not a complete gimp

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 16:42:36
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989130
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Michael V said:

Cymek said:

When does a price rise outweigh its returns
I don’t drink beer but would you people pay that much money for a schooner

Not a snowflake’s chance in hell.

Yes that’s what I mean, somethings become so expensive sales would drop hugely as people aren’t willing to pay that much.
It’s scarcity becomes irrelevant and you get stuck with the product.
I was thinking of fresh fruit and vegetables, shops ask a price so high you couldn’t justify buying it, your not a complete gimp

I often walk right on past if the price isn’t to my liking and often wait until it is nearer use by date… Get it cheaper then.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 17:08:05
From: ms spock
ID: 1989139
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

Ducks eat snails. Chooks don’t.

My chooks in Armidale had no problems snuffling up snails.

We never had snails or slugs up near Bundaberg because we had bearded dragon lizards which ate all of them.

In Toowoomba, we have no such helpful predators, and we have snails and slugs.

You might need to get some bearded dragons in for a weekend, just to clean the place up.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 17:09:37
From: ms spock
ID: 1989140
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


captain_spalding said:

ABC News:

‘‘Ridiculously low’: Prime Minister slams penalty for lost radioactive material as hunt drags on
By Cason Ho and Amelia Searson
As the search continues for a dangerous radioactive capsule in WA, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has scoffed at the potential penalty that could be imposed on the companies behind the loss.’

I don’t know all the precise details and circumstances, but from what i’ve read and understood, this tiny pellet:

1. fell out of the container it was in

2. then fell through some gap in the floor or whatever of the vehicle.

If this is correct, then they were half-arsing it all the way.

It sounds like they were using a container which was quite unsuitable for such an item, and that they simply chucked it in there and hoped for the best.

Had they so much as put it in a standard letter envelope inside the container, then probably none of this hoo-ha would have arisen.

They used this company to transport it

So can we all form a class action and sue them?

There’s so many people we can’t sue but surely these are some of the ones we can sue?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 17:15:17
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989143
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The fish, known as the oriental weatherloach, is a class one noxious species and when caught or captured cannot be returned to the water, due to the threat it poses to native species and the ecosystem.

As it continues to wreak havoc upstream, it has also been detected in the upper reaches of SA’s leg of the Murray River.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-01/oriental-weatherloach-pest-found-riverland-sunraysia/101899316

>as if things couldn’t get any worse.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 17:17:33
From: Cymek
ID: 1989145
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Cymek said:

captain_spalding said:

ABC News:

‘‘Ridiculously low’: Prime Minister slams penalty for lost radioactive material as hunt drags on
By Cason Ho and Amelia Searson
As the search continues for a dangerous radioactive capsule in WA, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has scoffed at the potential penalty that could be imposed on the companies behind the loss.’

I don’t know all the precise details and circumstances, but from what i’ve read and understood, this tiny pellet:

1. fell out of the container it was in

2. then fell through some gap in the floor or whatever of the vehicle.

If this is correct, then they were half-arsing it all the way.

It sounds like they were using a container which was quite unsuitable for such an item, and that they simply chucked it in there and hoped for the best.

Had they so much as put it in a standard letter envelope inside the container, then probably none of this hoo-ha would have arisen.

They used this company to transport it

So can we all form a class action and sue them?

There’s so many people we can’t sue but surely these are some of the ones we can sue?

They aren’t the real people who transported it, it’s a dodgy couriers from a sitcom, it may as well have been though.
Caesium-137 has been involved in a number of accidents and complete clusterfucks, seems to get forgotten about and abandoned.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 17:23:36
From: ms spock
ID: 1989147
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


They call it Elephant garlic

I’ve always grown it as Russian garlic but it is more closely related to leek.
The story doesn’t tell us why he grows it. I wasn’t aware of a market for it.
To think I could have been famous heaps of times had I known it was something to be famous about.

So many missed opportunities…LMAO

It is good to see the local community rally around.

Mr Thompson’s garlic was officially recorded by the Australian Giant Pumpkin and Vegetable Supporters (AGPVS) Group.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 17:32:56
From: buffy
ID: 1989151
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Food report. I bought some of this today. I’d not noticed it before in the supermarket. I’ve got a recipe for making satay sauce, and it works well. But this is easier….as long as the taste it OK. So tonight we will try it with chicken/onion/red capsicum stirfried, accompanied by steamed broccoli and corn on the cob. I was a good person and bought a pineapple too (Spencer Ranch), so I’ll put some bits of pineapple on the plates too.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 17:33:23
From: ms spock
ID: 1989152
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


roughbarked said:

Woodie said:

….. or we could all go round Trev’s place.

I’m sure he would love to meet us all, once.

Perhaps Gloworms house

Gloworm’s got a good stash there, and she’s always good with sharing.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 17:34:53
From: Cymek
ID: 1989154
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Food report. I bought some of this today. I’d not noticed it before in the supermarket. I’ve got a recipe for making satay sauce, and it works well. But this is easier….as long as the taste it OK. So tonight we will try it with chicken/onion/red capsicum stirfried, accompanied by steamed broccoli and corn on the cob. I was a good person and bought a pineapple too (Spencer Ranch), so I’ll put some bits of pineapple on the plates too.


I’ve used their Thai green curry mix, is good,

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 17:35:03
From: ms spock
ID: 1989155
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

So wonderful to see a policeman show respect for students. Wow, what a dancer!!!!

Building community could go a long way to stopping the brutality and killing of people of colour.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 17:36:36
From: buffy
ID: 1989157
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Woodie said:

Peak Warming Man said:

“Millions of Australians have been slugged with new price hikes as the cost of living crisis worsens.
Beer prices will soar to as much as $12 a schooner after the Albanese government’s 3.7 per cent tax increase came into effect Wednesday, the second rise in six months.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/anthony-albanese-increases-beer-tax-as-energy-bills-soar/ar-AA16XNLQ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3f0b712179214382af1786c06d923260

Pensioners who like a beer will just have to cut back on food.

Be cheaper to drink rocket fuel.

There was something that truckies took that they called rocket fuel. Dunno what it was but it was apparently high octane.

Amphetamines.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 17:36:37
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989158
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


ms spock said:

Cymek said:

They used this company to transport it

So can we all form a class action and sue them?

There’s so many people we can’t sue but surely these are some of the ones we can sue?

They aren’t the real people who transported it, it’s a dodgy couriers from a sitcom, it may as well have been though.
Caesium-137 has been involved in a number of accidents and complete clusterfucks, seems to get forgotten about and abandoned.

The US has lost a few atomic bombs over the years but it’s nothing to get excited about, they’ll turn up eventually as will this little piece of stuff.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 17:41:22
From: ms spock
ID: 1989161
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Food report. I bought some of this today. I’d not noticed it before in the supermarket. I’ve got a recipe for making satay sauce, and it works well. But this is easier….as long as the taste it OK. So tonight we will try it with chicken/onion/red capsicum stirfried, accompanied by steamed broccoli and corn on the cob. I was a good person and bought a pineapple too (Spencer Ranch), so I’ll put some bits of pineapple on the plates too.


I will tune in tomorrow to get yours and mr buffy’s assessment and report.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 17:42:50
From: buffy
ID: 1989163
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


buffy said:

Food report. I bought some of this today. I’d not noticed it before in the supermarket. I’ve got a recipe for making satay sauce, and it works well. But this is easier….as long as the taste it OK. So tonight we will try it with chicken/onion/red capsicum stirfried, accompanied by steamed broccoli and corn on the cob. I was a good person and bought a pineapple too (Spencer Ranch), so I’ll put some bits of pineapple on the plates too.


I’ve used their Thai green curry mix, is good,

I use their noodles. So I knew the brand name.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 17:43:51
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989164
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Food report. I bought some of this today. I’d not noticed it before in the supermarket. I’ve got a recipe for making satay sauce, and it works well. But this is easier….as long as the taste it OK. So tonight we will try it with chicken/onion/red capsicum stirfried, accompanied by steamed broccoli and corn on the cob. I was a good person and bought a pineapple too (Spencer Ranch), so I’ll put some bits of pineapple on the plates too.


I haven’t tried a box with a cross in it before, let me know how it goes.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:01:53
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989174
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

BACK and with a very achy left heel due to the fascist plantar thingy.

GP is reasonably confident that the melanoma is dermatitis, but wants to do a punch biopsy to be on the safe side.

He wanted to do it today but the room for such procedures wasn’t available, so I have to make another appointment.

But right now, cold beer.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:04:26
From: Michael V
ID: 1989176
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Gosh!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-01/whitsunday-woman-shontelle-fulton-avoids-jail-fatal-crash/101916088

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:04:27
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989177
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


BACK and with a very achy left heel due to the fascist plantar thingy.

GP is reasonably confident that the melanoma is dermatitis, but wants to do a punch biopsy to be on the safe side.

He wanted to do it today but the room for such procedures wasn’t available, so I have to make another appointment.

But right now, cold beer.

good.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:04:47
From: ms spock
ID: 1989178
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


BACK and with a very achy left heel due to the fascist plantar thingy.

GP is reasonably confident that the melanoma is dermatitis, but wants to do a punch biopsy to be on the safe side.

He wanted to do it today but the room for such procedures wasn’t available, so I have to make another appointment.

But right now, cold beer.

I am so glad the GP is checking it though Mr Car. That is thorough!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:05:07
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989179
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Food report. I bought some of this today. I’d not noticed it before in the supermarket. I’ve got a recipe for making satay sauce, and it works well. But this is easier….as long as the taste it OK. So tonight we will try it with chicken/onion/red capsicum stirfried, accompanied by steamed broccoli and corn on the cob. I was a good person and bought a pineapple too (Spencer Ranch), so I’ll put some bits of pineapple on the plates too.


I’ve got half a lemon & herb chicken. I’ll cook up a nice sauce and roast the hen on a bed of vermicelli.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:06:14
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989180
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Bubblecar said:

BACK and with a very achy left heel due to the fascist plantar thingy.

GP is reasonably confident that the melanoma is dermatitis, but wants to do a punch biopsy to be on the safe side.

He wanted to do it today but the room for such procedures wasn’t available, so I have to make another appointment.

But right now, cold beer.

I am so glad the GP is checking it though Mr Car. That is thorough!

He got one of the older doctors to look at it too, and she agreed that a punch biopsy is a sensible precaution.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:07:55
From: ms spock
ID: 1989181
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


ms spock said:

Bubblecar said:

BACK and with a very achy left heel due to the fascist plantar thingy.

GP is reasonably confident that the melanoma is dermatitis, but wants to do a punch biopsy to be on the safe side.

He wanted to do it today but the room for such procedures wasn’t available, so I have to make another appointment.

But right now, cold beer.

I am so glad the GP is checking it though Mr Car. That is thorough!

He got one of the older doctors to look at it too, and she agreed that a punch biopsy is a sensible precaution.

I love it when they are really on top of things. Quick consultation – let’s be safe than sorry!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:08:21
From: Cymek
ID: 1989182
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

They found the capsule

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-01/australian-radioactive-capsule-found-in-wa-outback-rio-tinto/101917828

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:09:48
From: ms spock
ID: 1989183
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


They found the capsule

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-01/australian-radioactive-capsule-found-in-wa-outback-rio-tinto/101917828

‘S e deagh naidheachd a tha sin! That is great news!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:10:42
From: Michael V
ID: 1989184
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woohoo! Radioactive source found!

Phew.

It will do no further mischief, as other orphan sources around the world have…

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-01/australian-radioactive-capsule-found-in-wa-outback-rio-tinto/101917828

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:12:05
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1989186
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


They found the capsule

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-01/australian-radioactive-capsule-found-in-wa-outback-rio-tinto/101917828

That’s a huge relief.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:15:53
From: Michael V
ID: 1989187
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-01/iranian-couple-sentenced-instagram-dancing-video-goes-viral/101916092

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:16:16
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989188
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


buffy said:

Food report. I bought some of this today. I’d not noticed it before in the supermarket. I’ve got a recipe for making satay sauce, and it works well. But this is easier….as long as the taste it OK. So tonight we will try it with chicken/onion/red capsicum stirfried, accompanied by steamed broccoli and corn on the cob. I was a good person and bought a pineapple too (Spencer Ranch), so I’ll put some bits of pineapple on the plates too.


I’ve got half a lemon & herb chicken. I’ll cook up a nice sauce and roast the hen on a bed of vermicelli.

…also fresh beans and garlic from the sister’s garden. She also donated me a walking stick.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:19:51
From: Cymek
ID: 1989189
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-01/iranian-couple-sentenced-instagram-dancing-video-goes-viral/101916092

I saw that, Iran you must not show happiness outside of worship

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:23:24
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989190
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

buffy said:

Food report. I bought some of this today. I’d not noticed it before in the supermarket. I’ve got a recipe for making satay sauce, and it works well. But this is easier….as long as the taste it OK. So tonight we will try it with chicken/onion/red capsicum stirfried, accompanied by steamed broccoli and corn on the cob. I was a good person and bought a pineapple too (Spencer Ranch), so I’ll put some bits of pineapple on the plates too.


I’ve got half a lemon & herb chicken. I’ll cook up a nice sauce and roast the hen on a bed of vermicelli.

…also fresh beans and garlic from the sister’s garden. She also donated me a walking stick.

I think I should get a walking stick.
I’m needing one these days.

Milan said I should get one years ago. He said I needed it to present authority to the crowd. I should wave a stick he said.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:24:32
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989191
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

I’ve got half a lemon & herb chicken. I’ll cook up a nice sauce and roast the hen on a bed of vermicelli.

…also fresh beans and garlic from the sister’s garden. She also donated me a walking stick.

I think I should get a walking stick.
I’m needing one these days.

Milan said I should get one years ago. He said I needed it to present authority to the crowd. I should wave a stick he said.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:28:10
From: Cymek
ID: 1989192
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

…also fresh beans and garlic from the sister’s garden. She also donated me a walking stick.

I think I should get a walking stick.
I’m needing one these days.

Milan said I should get one years ago. He said I needed it to present authority to the crowd. I should wave a stick he said.

:)

I imagine you could get some really cool walking sticks

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:32:32
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989193
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

I think I should get a walking stick.
I’m needing one these days.

Milan said I should get one years ago. He said I needed it to present authority to the crowd. I should wave a stick he said.

:)

I imagine you could get some really cool walking sticks

Mine’s a plain adjustable one like this.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:34:39
From: Kingy
ID: 1989194
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Cymek said:

Bubblecar said:

:)

I imagine you could get some really cool walking sticks

Mine’s a plain adjustable one like this.

You’ll need a monocle and a fob watch.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:34:41
From: Michael V
ID: 1989195
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Cymek said:

Bubblecar said:

:)

I imagine you could get some really cool walking sticks

Mine’s a plain adjustable one like this.

Mine’s like that, too, but a dark bronze colour.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:36:23
From: Arts
ID: 1989197
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

apparently the radioactive capsule has been found…

that’s kind if disappointing

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:38:00
From: Cymek
ID: 1989202
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


apparently the radioactive capsule has been found…

that’s kind if disappointing

Apparently a number of mutated animals pointed to its location

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:38:41
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989203
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

Cymek said:

I imagine you could get some really cool walking sticks

Mine’s a plain adjustable one like this.

Mine’s like that, too, but a dark bronze colour.

I don’t have a walking stick.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:40:20
From: Arts
ID: 1989205
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Arts said:

apparently the radioactive capsule has been found…

that’s kind if disappointing

Apparently a number of mutated animals pointed to its location

that’s a little more interesting…

stand by for ‘new’ species discoveries.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:41:49
From: fsm
ID: 1989206
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Arts said:

apparently the radioactive capsule has been found…

that’s kind if disappointing

Apparently a number of mutated animals pointed to its location

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:43:30
From: Cymek
ID: 1989207
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Cymek said:

Arts said:

apparently the radioactive capsule has been found…

that’s kind if disappointing

Apparently a number of mutated animals pointed to its location

that’s a little more interesting…

stand by for ‘new’ species discoveries.

Gojira Austrakangaroous

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:44:10
From: buffy
ID: 1989208
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

Mine’s a plain adjustable one like this.

Mine’s like that, too, but a dark bronze colour.

I don’t have a walking stick.

I’ve got one of my father’s (which is more of a staff really) kept at the bush for the use of older visitors. Mr buffy has got his father’s walking stick, but it was too short, so Mr buffy got one of the correct size for himself. We also have a wheelie walker which was Mr buffy’s Mum’s.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:44:15
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989209
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

fsm said:


Cymek said:

Arts said:

apparently the radioactive capsule has been found…

that’s kind if disappointing

Apparently a number of mutated animals pointed to its location


Wonder what sort of life people can expect in Cocklebiddy.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:46:24
From: buffy
ID: 1989211
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Report on that satay sauce. Adequate. Won’t buy again. Will finish off the half a tin we didn’t use.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:46:45
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989212
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


JudgeMental said:

Michael V said:

Mine’s like that, too, but a dark bronze colour.

I don’t have a walking stick.

I’ve got one of my father’s (which is more of a staff really) kept at the bush for the use of older visitors. Mr buffy has got his father’s walking stick, but it was too short, so Mr buffy got one of the correct size for himself. We also have a wheelie walker which was Mr buffy’s Mum’s.

Mine is just for while I’m suffering the plantar fasciitis, which will hopefully pass in time.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:46:50
From: Cymek
ID: 1989213
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

fsm said:


Cymek said:

Arts said:

apparently the radioactive capsule has been found…

that’s kind if disappointing

Apparently a number of mutated animals pointed to its location


The capsule was found by a team from the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation and the Department of Fire and Emergency Services.

The state’s Chief Health Officer Andy Robertson said in recognition of the great effort they put in, he’s springing for a pizza party

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:47:39
From: Cymek
ID: 1989214
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


fsm said:

Cymek said:

Apparently a number of mutated animals pointed to its location


Wonder what sort of life people can expect in Cocklebiddy.

Yeah WA has a few suburbs with poorly chosen names

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:48:12
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989215
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


fsm said:

Cymek said:

Apparently a number of mutated animals pointed to its location


Wonder what sort of life people can expect in Cocklebiddy.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:49:53
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1989216
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Cymek said:

Bubblecar said:

:)

I imagine you could get some really cool walking sticks

Mine’s a plain adjustable one like this.

You shouldn’t need to adjust it much as most adults, no matter how tall they are, have their hands at about the same height above the ground. It’s one way you can subconsciously work out if a person is tall or short by the length of their arms in a photo.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:51:51
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1989217
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

fsm said:


Wonder what sort of life people can expect in Cocklebiddy.

Heh, I’ve got a photo of that when dad & I did a lap around Australia in 2011 I think.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:52:44
From: Kingy
ID: 1989218
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Just fuelled up at the depot with another $1000 of diesel and an early knock-off.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:53:05
From: Kingy
ID: 1989219
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Now I need to buy a new garden hose for the fire station to replace the one stolen from there, buy some more beers for the station fridge, get the defib battery replaced, and get ready to go out with Ms Kingy to attend her 10 year medal presentation.
She’s a founding member of the Busselton Incident Control Team.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:57:56
From: Michael V
ID: 1989221
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


buffy said:

JudgeMental said:

I don’t have a walking stick.

I’ve got one of my father’s (which is more of a staff really) kept at the bush for the use of older visitors. Mr buffy has got his father’s walking stick, but it was too short, so Mr buffy got one of the correct size for himself. We also have a wheelie walker which was Mr buffy’s Mum’s.

Mine is just for while I’m suffering the plantar fasciitis, which will hopefully pass in time.

>>>>>plantar fasciitis, which will hopefully pass in time

Mine did. Just kept putting up with it, until it got better.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 18:59:33
From: esselte
ID: 1989222
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:

Now I need to buy a new garden hose for the fire station to replace the one stolen from there, buy some more beers for the station fridge, get the defib battery replaced, and get ready to go out with Ms Kingy to attend her 10 year medal presentation.
She’s a founding member of the Busselton Incident Control Team.

Nothing so lonesome, morbid, or morose
As a country fire station, without a hose.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:01:08
From: Michael V
ID: 1989224
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:

Now I need to buy a new garden hose for the fire station to replace the one stolen from there, buy some more beers for the station fridge, get the defib battery replaced, and get ready to go out with Ms Kingy to attend her 10 year medal presentation.
She’s a founding member of the Busselton Incident Control Team.

Thieves. Grrr.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:05:48
From: Michael V
ID: 1989226
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Wikipedia has already been updated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Australian_radioactive_capsule_incident

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:06:57
From: ms spock
ID: 1989227
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-01/iranian-couple-sentenced-instagram-dancing-video-goes-viral/101916092

Ó na daoine bochta sin! Oh those poor people!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:07:53
From: ms spock
ID: 1989231
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

I’ve got half a lemon & herb chicken. I’ll cook up a nice sauce and roast the hen on a bed of vermicelli.

…also fresh beans and garlic from the sister’s garden. She also donated me a walking stick.

I think I should get a walking stick.
I’m needing one these days.

Milan said I should get one years ago. He said I needed it to present authority to the crowd. I should wave a stick he said.

I like the idea of you waving a stick at the crowd and leading them away!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:08:11
From: Michael V
ID: 1989232
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Wikipedia has already been updated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Australian_radioactive_capsule_incident

And here, too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesium-137#January_2023_Western_Australia,_Australia

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:09:22
From: Neophyte
ID: 1989234
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:

Now I need to buy a new garden hose for the fire station to replace the one stolen from there, buy some more beers for the station fridge, get the defib battery replaced, and get ready to go out with Ms Kingy to attend her 10 year medal presentation.
She’s a founding member of the Busselton Incident Control Team.

They should make that the Busselton Incident Team Control Headquarters.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:10:23
From: ms spock
ID: 1989236
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Cymek said:

Bubblecar said:

:)

I imagine you could get some really cool walking sticks

Mine’s a plain adjustable one like this.

Svelte agus praiticiúil!

Svelte and practical

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:11:08
From: Cymek
ID: 1989237
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

…also fresh beans and garlic from the sister’s garden. She also donated me a walking stick.

I think I should get a walking stick.
I’m needing one these days.

Milan said I should get one years ago. He said I needed it to present authority to the crowd. I should wave a stick he said.

I like the idea of you waving a stick at the crowd and leading them away!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:12:11
From: Michael V
ID: 1989238
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Michael V said:

Wikipedia has already been updated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Australian_radioactive_capsule_incident

And here, too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesium-137#January_2023_Western_Australia,_Australia

But not here, yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_orphan_source_incidents#2020s

Nor here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_civilian_radiation_accidents#2020s

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:14:20
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989242
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

…also fresh beans and garlic from the sister’s garden. She also donated me a walking stick.

I think I should get a walking stick.
I’m needing one these days.

Milan said I should get one years ago. He said I needed it to present authority to the crowd. I should wave a stick he said.

I like the idea of you waving a stick at the crowd and leading them away!

I have a walking stick, of sorts.

It’s a one-metre Tasmanian oak rod, with a very small hoe blade from a hand-hoe, that Bunnings used to sell, attached to it.

I call it the Poobury Stick.

When the Wolf does some business during his walks, the Poobury Stick comes into play.

An excavation of 10-15 cm, and the ‘business’ collected on the blade of the stick, and then deposited in the howl and covered.

Also handy for picking up and disposing of less-than-savoury things sometimes found in parks.

Also useful in other ways.

A young woman was being harassed in a park by a young man one day, and i called to him to leave her alone.

He approached me in a confronting fashion, but when he saw that i not only had the Wolf with me but that i was also carrying what equated to a small axe, he stopped short, and paid heed.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:14:49
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989243
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Neophyte said:


Kingy said:

Now I need to buy a new garden hose for the fire station to replace the one stolen from there, buy some more beers for the station fridge, get the defib battery replaced, and get ready to go out with Ms Kingy to attend her 10 year medal presentation.
She’s a founding member of the Busselton Incident Control Team.

They should make that the Busselton Incident Team Control Headquarters.

Well done. I was trying to think of something similar.
Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:17:13
From: wookiemeister
ID: 1989246
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


buffy said:

JudgeMental said:

I don’t have a walking stick.

I’ve got one of my father’s (which is more of a staff really) kept at the bush for the use of older visitors. Mr buffy has got his father’s walking stick, but it was too short, so Mr buffy got one of the correct size for himself. We also have a wheelie walker which was Mr buffy’s Mum’s.

Mine is just for while I’m suffering the plantar fasciitis, which will hopefully pass in time.


Have a think about “red light therapy”

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:17:35
From: Cymek
ID: 1989248
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

I think I should get a walking stick.
I’m needing one these days.

Milan said I should get one years ago. He said I needed it to present authority to the crowd. I should wave a stick he said.

I like the idea of you waving a stick at the crowd and leading them away!

I have a walking stick, of sorts.

It’s a one-metre Tasmanian oak rod, with a very small hoe blade from a hand-hoe, that Bunnings used to sell, attached to it.

I call it the Poobury Stick.

When the Wolf does some business during his walks, the Poobury Stick comes into play.

An excavation of 10-15 cm, and the ‘business’ collected on the blade of the stick, and then deposited in the howl and covered.

Also handy for picking up and disposing of less-than-savoury things sometimes found in parks.

Also useful in other ways.

A young woman was being harassed in a park by a young man one day, and i called to him to leave her alone.

He approached me in a confronting fashion, but when he saw that i not only had the Wolf with me but that i was also carrying what equated to a small axe, he stopped short, and paid heed.

Were you also wearing women’s slacks to give you confidence

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:19:08
From: ms spock
ID: 1989251
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


JudgeMental said:

Michael V said:

Mine’s like that, too, but a dark bronze colour.

I don’t have a walking stick.

I’ve got one of my father’s (which is more of a staff really) kept at the bush for the use of older visitors. Mr buffy has got his father’s walking stick, but it was too short, so Mr buffy got one of the correct size for himself. We also have a wheelie walker which was Mr buffy’s Mum’s.

It is a good idea to have a wide range of accoutrements buffy! (Is maith an smaoineamh é raon leathan de chuntasóirí a bheith buacach!)

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:19:10
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989252
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:

Were you also wearing women’s slacks to give you confidence

No, but i had brushed my teeth with Colgate, so i had The Ring of Confidence going for me.

Which was nice.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:21:58
From: ms spock
ID: 1989254
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:

Now I need to buy a new garden hose for the fire station to replace the one stolen from there, buy some more beers for the station fridge, get the defib battery replaced, and get ready to go out with Ms Kingy to attend her 10 year medal presentation.
She’s a founding member of the Busselton Incident Control Team.

Comhghairdeachas leat Mrs Kingy! (Congratulations Mrs Kingy!)

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:22:30
From: ms spock
ID: 1989255
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

esselte said:


Kingy said:

Now I need to buy a new garden hose for the fire station to replace the one stolen from there, buy some more beers for the station fridge, get the defib battery replaced, and get ready to go out with Ms Kingy to attend her 10 year medal presentation.
She’s a founding member of the Busselton Incident Control Team.

Nothing so lonesome, morbid, or morose
As a country fire station, without a hose.

lol!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:22:35
From: Michael V
ID: 1989256
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

I think I should get a walking stick.
I’m needing one these days.

Milan said I should get one years ago. He said I needed it to present authority to the crowd. I should wave a stick he said.

I like the idea of you waving a stick at the crowd and leading them away!

I have a walking stick, of sorts.

It’s a one-metre Tasmanian oak rod, with a very small hoe blade from a hand-hoe, that Bunnings used to sell, attached to it.

I call it the Poobury Stick.

When the Wolf does some business during his walks, the Poobury Stick comes into play.

An excavation of 10-15 cm, and the ‘business’ collected on the blade of the stick, and then deposited in the howl and covered.

Also handy for picking up and disposing of less-than-savoury things sometimes found in parks.

Also useful in other ways.

A young woman was being harassed in a park by a young man one day, and i called to him to leave her alone.

He approached me in a confronting fashion, but when he saw that i not only had the Wolf with me but that i was also carrying what equated to a small axe, he stopped short, and paid heed.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:25:45
From: btm
ID: 1989259
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

According to google translate, Romanus eunt domum translates to English as The Romans are going home, whereas Romani ite domus is Romans go home.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:27:34
From: ms spock
ID: 1989261
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Cymek said:

Were you also wearing women’s slacks to give you confidence

No, but i had brushed my teeth with Colgate, so i had The Ring of Confidence going for me.

Which was nice.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:28:06
From: Cymek
ID: 1989262
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


According to google translate, Romanus eunt domum translates to English as The Romans are going home, whereas Romani ite domus is Romans go home.

The second would be something said by the characters in Asterix

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:28:16
From: ms spock
ID: 1989264
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


esselte said:

Kingy said:

Now I need to buy a new garden hose for the fire station to replace the one stolen from there, buy some more beers for the station fridge, get the defib battery replaced, and get ready to go out with Ms Kingy to attend her 10 year medal presentation.
She’s a founding member of the Busselton Incident Control Team.

Nothing so lonesome, morbid, or morose
As a country fire station, without a hose.

lol!

Do you have a whole song for that? That would make a great song!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 19:34:54
From: btm
ID: 1989269
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


btm said:

According to google translate, Romanus eunt domum translates to English as The Romans are going home, whereas Romani ite domus is Romans go home.

The second would be something said by the characters in Asterix

They’re both from the film Monty Python’s Life of Brian.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 20:17:14
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1989275
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

New analog quantum computers to solve previously unsolvable problems
by University College Dublin

Physicists have invented a new type of analog quantum computer that can tackle hard physics problems that the most powerful digital supercomputers cannot solve.

New research published in Nature Physics by collaborating scientists from Stanford University in the U.S. and University College Dublin (UCD) in Ireland has shown that a novel type of highly-specialized analog computer, whose circuits feature quantum components, can solve problems from the cutting edge of quantum physics that were previously beyond reach. When scaled up, such devices may be able to shed light on some of the most important unsolved problems in physics.

Read more:

https://phys.org/news/2023-01-analog-quantum-previously-unsolvable-problems.amp

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 20:23:07
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989276
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


New analog quantum computers to solve previously unsolvable problems
by University College Dublin

Physicists have invented a new type of analog quantum computer that can tackle hard physics problems that the most powerful digital supercomputers cannot solve.

New research published in Nature Physics by collaborating scientists from Stanford University in the U.S. and University College Dublin (UCD) in Ireland has shown that a novel type of highly-specialized analog computer, whose circuits feature quantum components, can solve problems from the cutting edge of quantum physics that were previously beyond reach. When scaled up, such devices may be able to shed light on some of the most important unsolved problems in physics.

Read more:

https://phys.org/news/2023-01-analog-quantum-previously-unsolvable-problems.amp

Read that, thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 20:52:31
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989280
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


I’ve got half a lemon & herb chicken. I’ll cook up a nice sauce and roast the hen on a bed of vermicelli.

Obviously I won’t eat the lot in one sitting.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 20:54:15
From: esselte
ID: 1989281
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


ms spock said:

esselte said:

Nothing so lonesome, morbid, or morose
As a country fire station, without a hose.

lol!

Do you have a whole song for that? That would make a great song!

Sorry, no. I just made it up. Just made me laugh, the idea a fire station without any hoses…

I asked chatGPT to write a song to the tune of a pub with no beer about a country fire station that doesn’t have any hoses and this is what it came up with. What with chatGPT going all Flowers for Algernon lately though, I’m not sure how well this works.

(Verse 1)
In a country fire station, they stand with pride
But their hoses, they have all run dry
No water to put out the flames
It’s a shame, it’s such a shame

(Chorus)
Oh, a fire station with no hoses
No way to save our homes and roses
The fire trucks stand ready to roll
But without the hoses, they’ve got no control

(Verse 2)
They’ve got the trucks and they’ve got the gear
But without the hoses, they’re in despair
The flames are raging, the people all shout
But there’s no water to douse it out

(Chorus)
Oh, a fire station with no hoses
No way to save our homes and roses
The fire trucks stand ready to roll
But without the hoses, they’ve got no control

(Bridge)
The people all pray for rain to come
To fill up the hoses and save what’s begun
For without the hoses, the fire will grow
And our homes and town will surely go

(Chorus)
Oh, a fire station with no hoses
No way to save our homes and roses
The fire trucks stand ready to roll
But without the hoses, they’ve got no control

(Outro)
So let’s all pitch in and do what we can
To make sure the fire station has a fighting stand
With hoses full, they’ll save the day
And keep our town from burning away.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 21:22:41
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989290
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

you there Mr Car?

Brooksie is up to here on another one.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 21:25:28
From: transition
ID: 1989291
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


New analog quantum computers to solve previously unsolvable problems
by University College Dublin

Physicists have invented a new type of analog quantum computer that can tackle hard physics problems that the most powerful digital supercomputers cannot solve.

New research published in Nature Physics by collaborating scientists from Stanford University in the U.S. and University College Dublin (UCD) in Ireland has shown that a novel type of highly-specialized analog computer, whose circuits feature quantum components, can solve problems from the cutting edge of quantum physics that were previously beyond reach. When scaled up, such devices may be able to shed light on some of the most important unsolved problems in physics.

Read more:

https://phys.org/news/2023-01-analog-quantum-previously-unsolvable-problems.amp

read that, cheers, master witty

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 21:26:26
From: transition
ID: 1989292
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

I’ve got half a lemon & herb chicken. I’ll cook up a nice sauce and roast the hen on a bed of vermicelli.

Obviously I won’t eat the lot in one sitting.


you made me hungry again, unnecessarily, you’re a menace

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 21:36:46
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1989296
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 21:43:24
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989298
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


a handle to carry plastic bags with.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 21:50:09
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1989300
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:

SCIENCE said:


a handle to carry plastic bags with.

apparently it weans lambs

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 21:55:41
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989302
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

fsm said:


Wonder what sort of life people can expect in Cocklebiddy.

Where’s their emus?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 22:32:32
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1989306
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Japan’s Eneos draws closer to shipping hydrogen via oil tankers
Energy company to test tech for hydrogen transport at ambient temperature

NAOYUKI TOYAMA, Nikkei staff writer
January 31, 2023 05:18 JST

TOKYO — Japanese energy company Eneos said Monday it will soon test technology that allows hydrogen to be shipped by regular oil tankers at ambient temperature, an innovation expected to drastically cut the cost of adopting the alternative energy source.

Eneos has built a demonstration plant in Brisbane, Australia that makes methylcyclohexane (MCH), a liquid hydrogen carrier. The facility will go into operation in February.

MCH is typically produced by taking hydrogen stored in tanks and reacting it with toluene — an organic chemical compound — using synthesizing equipment. Eneos is developing an electrolyzer that turns water and toluene into MCH in one step.

Through Eneos’ pioneering process, there is no need for hydrogen tanks or extra synthesizing equipment, sharply reducing costs. Hydrogen would be extracted from the MCH once it arrives at its final destination.

On its own, hydrogen must be stored at minus 253 degrees Celsius for it to remain liquefied.

The electrolyzer at Eneos’ demonstration plant will have a capacity of 150 kilowatts, with a scale roughly 150 times the capacity of the previous prototype.

The electrolyzer will be powered by solar energy, meaning the plant will release no carbon dioxide and produce green hydrogen.

Eneos plans to conduct field tests of the electrolyzer for eight months to determine the optimum operation and control technologies. The company will develop a 5 MW electrolyzer by the fiscal year ending March 2026 and then commence mass production of the hydrogen.

The specific output volume will be determined at a later date.

MCH can be stored in oil tankers at ambient temperature, which will lower transportation costs, according to Eneos. With this approach, Eneos anticipates selling hydrogen at around 330 yen ($2.54) per kilogram by 2030, less than 30% of the Japanese government’s 2021 estimate.

The MCH approach is not the only method of shipping hydrogen under ambient conditions.

Moving the fuel in the form of ammonia is considered to be the closest to commercial viability. Considering that ammonia is already used as fertilizer, it boasts an established supply chain, thereby reducing cost.

However, Eneos expects transportation of MCH to take off more quickly given handling concerns surrounding ammonia’s toxicity.

The push comes as other rivals are also developing ways to transport hydrogen. Last year, Japan’s Kawasaki Heavy Industries became the first company to successfully ship liquified hydrogen using ultra-cold storage tanks.

Kawasaki Heavy looks to develop a large hydrogen tanker by the middle of this decade in a bid to drastically reduce costs, aiming to sell hydrogen at about 330 yen per kilogram by around 2030.

Unlike MCH and ammonia, liquified hydrogen does not need to be converted at the destination.

The race to develop hydrogen transport tech is occurring around the world, especially in Europe where countries are seeking to wean themselves off Russian energy sources.

Germany’s Hydrogenious LOHC Technologies and Dutch storage tank maker Vopak this month announced they will form a joint venture for transporting ambient-temperature hydrogen, and plan to build large plants in their respective countries.

LOHC refers to liquid organic hydrogen carriers, or compounds that work similarly to MCH. Daniel Teichmann, CEO of Hydrogenious, said the company expects hydrogen to be supplied at $3 per kilogram in Germany, about half the prevailing cost.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Environment/Climate-Change/Japan-s-Eneos-draws-closer-to-shipping-hydrogen-via-oil-tankers?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 22:38:03
From: sibeen
ID: 1989307
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Japan’s Eneos draws closer to shipping hydrogen via oil tankers
Energy company to test tech for hydrogen transport at ambient temperature

NAOYUKI TOYAMA, Nikkei staff writer
January 31, 2023 05:18 JST

TOKYO — Japanese energy company Eneos said Monday it will soon test technology that allows hydrogen to be shipped by regular oil tankers at ambient temperature, an innovation expected to drastically cut the cost of adopting the alternative energy source.

Eneos has built a demonstration plant in Brisbane, Australia that makes methylcyclohexane (MCH), a liquid hydrogen carrier. The facility will go into operation in February.

MCH is typically produced by taking hydrogen stored in tanks and reacting it with toluene — an organic chemical compound — using synthesizing equipment. Eneos is developing an electrolyzer that turns water and toluene into MCH in one step.

Through Eneos’ pioneering process, there is no need for hydrogen tanks or extra synthesizing equipment, sharply reducing costs. Hydrogen would be extracted from the MCH once it arrives at its final destination.

On its own, hydrogen must be stored at minus 253 degrees Celsius for it to remain liquefied.

The electrolyzer at Eneos’ demonstration plant will have a capacity of 150 kilowatts, with a scale roughly 150 times the capacity of the previous prototype.

The electrolyzer will be powered by solar energy, meaning the plant will release no carbon dioxide and produce green hydrogen.

Eneos plans to conduct field tests of the electrolyzer for eight months to determine the optimum operation and control technologies. The company will develop a 5 MW electrolyzer by the fiscal year ending March 2026 and then commence mass production of the hydrogen.

The specific output volume will be determined at a later date.

MCH can be stored in oil tankers at ambient temperature, which will lower transportation costs, according to Eneos. With this approach, Eneos anticipates selling hydrogen at around 330 yen ($2.54) per kilogram by 2030, less than 30% of the Japanese government’s 2021 estimate.

The MCH approach is not the only method of shipping hydrogen under ambient conditions.

Moving the fuel in the form of ammonia is considered to be the closest to commercial viability. Considering that ammonia is already used as fertilizer, it boasts an established supply chain, thereby reducing cost.

However, Eneos expects transportation of MCH to take off more quickly given handling concerns surrounding ammonia’s toxicity.

The push comes as other rivals are also developing ways to transport hydrogen. Last year, Japan’s Kawasaki Heavy Industries became the first company to successfully ship liquified hydrogen using ultra-cold storage tanks.

Kawasaki Heavy looks to develop a large hydrogen tanker by the middle of this decade in a bid to drastically reduce costs, aiming to sell hydrogen at about 330 yen per kilogram by around 2030.

Unlike MCH and ammonia, liquified hydrogen does not need to be converted at the destination.

The race to develop hydrogen transport tech is occurring around the world, especially in Europe where countries are seeking to wean themselves off Russian energy sources.

Germany’s Hydrogenious LOHC Technologies and Dutch storage tank maker Vopak this month announced they will form a joint venture for transporting ambient-temperature hydrogen, and plan to build large plants in their respective countries.

LOHC refers to liquid organic hydrogen carriers, or compounds that work similarly to MCH. Daniel Teichmann, CEO of Hydrogenious, said the company expects hydrogen to be supplied at $3 per kilogram in Germany, about half the prevailing cost.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Environment/Climate-Change/Japan-s-Eneos-draws-closer-to-shipping-hydrogen-via-oil-tankers?

Sounds great, but to put some perspective on it, the demonstration plant will have a capacity of 150 kilowatts – which is about 12 times the amount of solar panel capacity I have on my roof at home.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 22:48:05
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989309
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

They’ve found it, they’ve found it.
The good people in villages right across Western Australia can rest easy tonight and Jimmy can go to sleep in his own little room again.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 23:18:58
From: party_pants
ID: 1989310
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


They’ve found it, they’ve found it.
The good people in villages right across Western Australia can rest easy tonight and Jimmy can go to sleep in his own little room again.

Yeah. They got lucky a bird didn’t think it was some nice shiny thing to take back to nest for decoration… or try to eat it.

I think Rio Tinto need to be told in plain basic Australian English that they need to lift their game a bit and have a more secure transport chain. Just saying.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 23:32:10
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989311
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

TTYL. kentucky fried chicken changed its name to KFC not because the wanted to get rid of the Fried word. But because kentucky trademarked the name Kentucky and if you wanted to use it in the name of a product you had to pay a licencing fee. KFC didn’t want to do this so they changed their name.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 23:49:07
From: Woodie
ID: 1989312
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Peak Warming Man said:

They’ve found it, they’ve found it.
The good people in villages right across Western Australia can rest easy tonight and Jimmy can go to sleep in his own little room again.

Yeah. They got lucky a bird didn’t think it was some nice shiny thing to take back to nest for decoration… or try to eat it.

I think Rio Tinto need to be told in plain basic Australian English that they need to lift their game a bit and have a more secure transport chain. Just saying.

Yes. It’s outrageous!! I’m absolutely appalled! The Minister should resign and the Ambassador must be recalled.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 23:51:21
From: party_pants
ID: 1989313
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


party_pants said:

Peak Warming Man said:

They’ve found it, they’ve found it.
The good people in villages right across Western Australia can rest easy tonight and Jimmy can go to sleep in his own little room again.

Yeah. They got lucky a bird didn’t think it was some nice shiny thing to take back to nest for decoration… or try to eat it.

I think Rio Tinto need to be told in plain basic Australian English that they need to lift their game a bit and have a more secure transport chain. Just saying.

Yes. It’s outrageous!! I’m absolutely appalled! The Minister should resign and the Ambassador must be recalled.

I have murdered the am-bass-a-dor and turned him into.. patte

Reply Quote

Date: 1/02/2023 23:53:44
From: Woodie
ID: 1989314
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


TTYL. kentucky fried chicken changed its name to KFC not because the wanted to get rid of the Fried word. But because kentucky trademarked the name Kentucky and if you wanted to use it in the name of a product you had to pay a licencing fee. KFC didn’t want to do this so they changed their name.

I suppose this was made by Mr Ken Tucky?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 00:07:22
From: sibeen
ID: 1989319
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bugger, equalled wordle record at 30 seconds.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 00:40:30
From: Kingy
ID: 1989324
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Just got home from Busso. Ms Kingy has some new bling.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 00:41:52
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989325
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Just got home from Busso. Ms Kingy has some new bling.


pass on the congrats. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 00:50:57
From: sibeen
ID: 1989326
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Just got home from Busso. Ms Kingy has some new bling.


👍

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 01:05:08
From: furious
ID: 1989328
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Peak Warming Man said:

They’ve found it, they’ve found it.
The good people in villages right across Western Australia can rest easy tonight and Jimmy can go to sleep in his own little room again.

Yeah. They got lucky a bird didn’t think it was some nice shiny thing to take back to nest for decoration… or try to eat it.

I think Rio Tinto need to be told in plain basic Australian English that they need to lift their game a bit and have a more secure transport chain. Just saying.

You know, what is in the media, and the reality of it, are different things…

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 01:13:59
From: Michael V
ID: 1989329
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Just got home from Busso. Ms Kingy has some new bling.


Cool!

Good on her.

Congratulations!

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 01:16:48
From: Michael V
ID: 1989331
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


OK, I give up.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 03:37:45
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1989341
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


JudgeMental said:

TTYL. kentucky fried chicken changed its name to KFC not because the wanted to get rid of the Fried word. But because kentucky trademarked the name Kentucky and if you wanted to use it in the name of a product you had to pay a licencing fee. KFC didn’t want to do this so they changed their name.

I suppose this was made by Mr Ken Tucky?


drink with Ken Behrens at the barbie

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 05:22:10
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1989351
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

David Attenborough Fans ·
In England you sometimes see these “wavy” brick fences. And curious as it may seem, this shape uses FEWER bricks than a straight wall. A straight wall needs at least two layers of bricks to make is sturdy, but the wavy wall is fine thanks to the arch support provided by the waves.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 06:37:41
From: buffy
ID: 1989353
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 8 degrees and just getting light. Sunup today here is at 6.50am. According to the star chart, Mercury is a little above the horizon now. There is high cloud here though, so I won’t bother to try to see him. We are forecast 16 degrees with showers increasing.

I need to do a bit more weeding at Auntie Annie’s this morning and I think Mr buffy wants me to help with firewood cutting again for a bit. We can only do that for about half an hour at a time on account of his back and knees being dodgy. I will probably do a bit more emboidery on my moths later in the day. I started the first one last night. It’s and Emperor Gum Moth. Not very showy. Lots of grey brown sorts of colours.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 06:46:15
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1989354
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Funny animal video:

Cow thinks he’s a showjumping horse.. 😅

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden/status/1620412769534382080?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 06:48:42
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989355
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Vanadium redox flow batteries

Invented in Australia in 1986.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 06:52:28
From: Michael V
ID: 1989356
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning everybody.

23.7°C, 83% RH this morning, similar to what it was at midnight – a very muggy night. It’s mostly cloudy and it’s calm. We had a persistent rainy thunderstorm yesterday afternoon, so I imagine the ORB would have over 25 mm of water in it. BoM has forecast 30°C tops and a 50% chance of rain.

Agenda: assist The Patient and go with the flow.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 06:52:29
From: buffy
ID: 1989357
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Funny animal video:

Cow thinks he’s a showjumping horse.. 😅

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden/status/1620412769534382080?

I reckon those two have grown up together.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 06:54:24
From: buffy
ID: 1989358
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I bought crunchy nut cornflakes yesterday on a whim. Because it’s many years since I et them. It will be many years before I buy another box. Soooo sweet. Waaay too sweet. I’ll eat these, but might have to go for a run or something to work them off.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 07:53:20
From: Michael V
ID: 1989360
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Good morning everybody.

23.7°C, 83% RH this morning, similar to what it was at midnight – a very muggy night. It’s mostly cloudy and it’s calm. We had a persistent rainy thunderstorm yesterday afternoon, so I imagine the ORB would have over 25 mm of water in it. BoM has forecast 30°C tops and a 50% chance of rain.

Agenda: assist The Patient and go with the flow.

For the sake of completeness, we had 48 mm in the Official Rain Bucket Mark 2.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 08:24:09
From: transition
ID: 1989361
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

armarnarmarnar

been up for a while
wishin’ I wasn’t
yeah wonders why
what nonsense
am i’ll tries a smile

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 08:41:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989363
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


armarnarmarnar

been up for a while
wishin’ I wasn’t
yeah wonders why
what nonsense
am i’ll tries a smile

I went back to the prone position for a sleep in.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:09:46
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989371
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

That capsule, why wasn’t in its yellow protective cover ?

How did it manage to jump out?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:14:03
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989373
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


That capsule, why wasn’t in its yellow protective cover ?

How did it manage to jump out?

So many questions.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:17:50
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989374
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

That capsule, why wasn’t in its yellow protective cover ?

How did it manage to jump out?

So many questions.

Don’t expect answers. It’s Rio Tinto.

They’ll pay a small fine, have lunch with a politician or two, the end.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:19:01
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989375
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

That capsule, why wasn’t in its yellow protective cover ?

How did it manage to jump out?

So many questions.

the first report gave a possible reason as to how it was lost.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:19:19
From: Woodie
ID: 1989376
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I bought crunchy nut cornflakes yesterday on a whim. Because it’s many years since I et them. It will be many years before I buy another box. Soooo sweet. Waaay too sweet. I’ll eat these, but might have to go for a run or something to work them off.

Offset the crunchy nut with a glass of diet milo.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:20:30
From: Woodie
ID: 1989377
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Michael V said:

Good morning everybody.

23.7°C, 83% RH this morning, similar to what it was at midnight – a very muggy night. It’s mostly cloudy and it’s calm. We had a persistent rainy thunderstorm yesterday afternoon, so I imagine the ORB would have over 25 mm of water in it. BoM has forecast 30°C tops and a 50% chance of rain.

Agenda: assist The Patient and go with the flow.

For the sake of completeness, we had 48 mm in the Official Rain Bucket Mark 2.

Thems is lotsa moolies.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:21:33
From: Woodie
ID: 1989378
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


transition said:

armarnarmarnar

been up for a while
wishin’ I wasn’t
yeah wonders why
what nonsense
am i’ll tries a smile

I went back to the prone position for a sleep in.

I’m prone to doing that.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:24:25
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989379
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A watch seized as part of an AFP operation:

‘Expensive’ does not necessarily mean ‘good taste/beautiful’.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/afp-sydney-money-laundering-syndicate-operation-avarus-midas/101920170

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:25:12
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989380
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


roughbarked said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

That capsule, why wasn’t in its yellow protective cover ?

How did it manage to jump out?

So many questions.

the first report gave a possible reason as to how it was lost.

I’m going with protocols weren’t followed properly.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:27:26
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989381
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


A watch seized as part of an AFP operation:

‘Expensive’ does not necessarily mean ‘good taste/beautiful’.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/afp-sydney-money-laundering-syndicate-operation-avarus-midas/101920170

Looks like a gold soccer stadium.

2 out of 10 for design.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:29:19
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989382
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The gauge was being transported by a subcontracted company, which picked it up from the mine site on 12 January to move it to a storage facility in the north-east suburbs of Perth.

When it was unpacked for inspection on 25 January the gauge was found broken apart and the radioactive capsule was gone. One of four mounting bolts and screws were also missing.

Authorities said vibrations during transit may have caused the bolts to become loose, allowing the capsule to fall through gaps in the casing and truck.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:31:21
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989384
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


A watch seized as part of an AFP operation:

‘Expensive’ does not necessarily mean ‘good taste/beautiful’.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/afp-sydney-money-laundering-syndicate-operation-avarus-midas/101920170

Bling is what people who have more money than sense buy and the market will produce it for them.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:32:21
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989385
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


The gauge was being transported by a subcontracted company, which picked it up from the mine site on 12 January to move it to a storage facility in the north-east suburbs of Perth.

When it was unpacked for inspection on 25 January the gauge was found broken apart and the radioactive capsule was gone. One of four mounting bolts and screws were also missing.

Authorities said vibrations during transit may have caused the bolts to become loose, allowing the capsule to fall through gaps in the casing and truck.

Some pretty rough roads out there.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:44:29
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989386
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


The gauge was being transported by a subcontracted company, which picked it up from the mine site on 12 January to move it to a storage facility in the north-east suburbs of Perth.

When it was unpacked for inspection on 25 January the gauge was found broken apart and the radioactive capsule was gone. One of four mounting bolts and screws were also missing.

Authorities said vibrations during transit may have caused the bolts to become loose, allowing the capsule to fall through gaps in the casing and truck.

I would be redesigning the container.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:45:03
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1989387
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

pops in

Looks like some people need to get their irony detectors fixed.

back to work.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:49:18
From: Michael V
ID: 1989390
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Michael V said:

Michael V said:

Good morning everybody.

23.7°C, 83% RH this morning, similar to what it was at midnight – a very muggy night. It’s mostly cloudy and it’s calm. We had a persistent rainy thunderstorm yesterday afternoon, so I imagine the ORB would have over 25 mm of water in it. BoM has forecast 30°C tops and a 50% chance of rain.

Agenda: assist The Patient and go with the flow.

For the sake of completeness, we had 48 mm in the Official Rain Bucket Mark 2.

Thems is lotsa moolies.

Yeah. It really persisted down for a couple of hours. Garden won’t need watering today or tomorrow. Possibly Saturday or Sunday, though.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:50:12
From: Michael V
ID: 1989391
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


A watch seized as part of an AFP operation:

‘Expensive’ does not necessarily mean ‘good taste/beautiful’.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/afp-sydney-money-laundering-syndicate-operation-avarus-midas/101920170

Heh!

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:50:44
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989392
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


JudgeMental said:

The gauge was being transported by a subcontracted company, which picked it up from the mine site on 12 January to move it to a storage facility in the north-east suburbs of Perth.

When it was unpacked for inspection on 25 January the gauge was found broken apart and the radioactive capsule was gone. One of four mounting bolts and screws were also missing.

Authorities said vibrations during transit may have caused the bolts to become loose, allowing the capsule to fall through gaps in the casing and truck.

I would be redesigning the container.

well, seeing as this doesn’t seem to happen that often maybe just a check of the present containers would suffice.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:51:47
From: Michael V
ID: 1989393
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


JudgeMental said:

roughbarked said:

So many questions.

the first report gave a possible reason as to how it was lost.

I’m going with protocols weren’t followed properly.

Ya reckon?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:53:10
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1989395
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

JudgeMental said:

The gauge was being transported by a subcontracted company, which picked it up from the mine site on 12 January to move it to a storage facility in the north-east suburbs of Perth.

When it was unpacked for inspection on 25 January the gauge was found broken apart and the radioactive capsule was gone. One of four mounting bolts and screws were also missing.

Authorities said vibrations during transit may have caused the bolts to become loose, allowing the capsule to fall through gaps in the casing and truck.

I would be redesigning the container.

well, seeing as this doesn’t seem to happen that often maybe just a check of the present containers would suffice.

Use the existing containers, just at a dab of Loktite to the threads. Problem solved.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:57:23
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989396
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

JudgeMental said:

the first report gave a possible reason as to how it was lost.

I’m going with protocols weren’t followed properly.

Ya reckon?

no, I personally, don’t reckon that.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 09:57:44
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989397
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

JudgeMental said:

The gauge was being transported by a subcontracted company, which picked it up from the mine site on 12 January to move it to a storage facility in the north-east suburbs of Perth.

When it was unpacked for inspection on 25 January the gauge was found broken apart and the radioactive capsule was gone. One of four mounting bolts and screws were also missing.

Authorities said vibrations during transit may have caused the bolts to become loose, allowing the capsule to fall through gaps in the casing and truck.

I would be redesigning the container.

well, seeing as this doesn’t seem to happen that often maybe just a check of the present containers would suffice.

Nup, if it happened like that it may happen again.

Its either protocols or vibration or both.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:00:31
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989399
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


JudgeMental said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

I would be redesigning the container.

well, seeing as this doesn’t seem to happen that often maybe just a check of the present containers would suffice.

Use the existing containers, just at a dab of Loktite to the threads. Problem solved.

I’m sure some fix will be implemented.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:00:46
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989400
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

They are lucky a bird didn’t take it.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:01:39
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989401
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Vanadium redox flow batteries can provide cheap, large-scale grid energy storage. Here’s how they work

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:06:19
From: buffy
ID: 1989404
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I thought it was getting windier. Looking at the BoM for Hamilton, it was only gusting to around 30km/hr when I went over to Auntie Annie’s around 7.00am. I was able to do a little bit of careful spraying of weeds on her path. And of the verdammte elm tree suckers. I wouldn’t be doing it now – gusting to 50s now.

I’ll go outside and pot up some plants for a friend and weed under the walnut tree. So many ivy seedlings…

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:08:12
From: ms spock
ID: 1989405
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Beannachtaí Daoine Álainn an Fhóraim Saoire (Greetings Beautiful People of the Holiday Forum)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:08:12
From: Woodie
ID: 1989406
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


They are lucky a bird didn’t take it.

Or some terrorist found it first to make a bomb out of it.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:09:23
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989407
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Spiny Norman said:

JudgeMental said:

well, seeing as this doesn’t seem to happen that often maybe just a check of the present containers would suffice.

Use the existing containers, just at a dab of Loktite to the threads. Problem solved.

I’m sure some fix will be implemented.

could be as simple as just regular checks. if that doesn’t already happen. You see vehicles quite often in town with radioactive sources onboard.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:10:33
From: buffy
ID: 1989408
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


buffy said:

I bought crunchy nut cornflakes yesterday on a whim. Because it’s many years since I et them. It will be many years before I buy another box. Soooo sweet. Waaay too sweet. I’ll eat these, but might have to go for a run or something to work them off.

Offset the crunchy nut with a glass of diet milo.

I offset it with a couple of hours of weeding couch, cutting the edges with a spade (which is a lot of cases means throwing the spade into the ground to cut the couch), cutting back plants etc. And we are just back from a walk to the bakery. I didn’t have a cake – I et a chicken and mushroom pie for my morning tea. And my usual mug of mocha. The dogs went with us…expectantly looking for a party pie to share. They got it. It’s now a town tradition. You take your dogs to the bakery, you buy a party pie for them. I know which denizen to blame. She started it with her dog.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:10:44
From: ms spock
ID: 1989409
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


They are lucky a bird didn’t take it.

Fortunately the most likely suspect is still in custody.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:11:02
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1989410
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

They are lucky a bird didn’t take it.

Or some terrorist found it first to make a bomb out of it.

Far too small a mass for that.
Fortunately.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:12:45
From: ms spock
ID: 1989411
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


JudgeMental said:

The gauge was being transported by a subcontracted company, which picked it up from the mine site on 12 January to move it to a storage facility in the north-east suburbs of Perth.

When it was unpacked for inspection on 25 January the gauge was found broken apart and the radioactive capsule was gone. One of four mounting bolts and screws were also missing.

Authorities said vibrations during transit may have caused the bolts to become loose, allowing the capsule to fall through gaps in the casing and truck.

I would be redesigning the container.

Would blu tac have helped?

Because I don’t think this was a wire brush and dettol situation. (I know I never thought I would come across a situation like this where WB&D wouldn’t help. We live in challenging times!)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:14:09
From: ms spock
ID: 1989412
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

They are lucky a bird didn’t take it.

Or some terrorist found it first to make a bomb out of it.

Between Climate Crashing and Covid I don’t think there’s much terrorists could really add at this point! j/k

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:15:05
From: ms spock
ID: 1989413
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Woodie said:

buffy said:

I bought crunchy nut cornflakes yesterday on a whim. Because it’s many years since I et them. It will be many years before I buy another box. Soooo sweet. Waaay too sweet. I’ll eat these, but might have to go for a run or something to work them off.

Offset the crunchy nut with a glass of diet milo.

I offset it with a couple of hours of weeding couch, cutting the edges with a spade (which is a lot of cases means throwing the spade into the ground to cut the couch), cutting back plants etc. And we are just back from a walk to the bakery. I didn’t have a cake – I et a chicken and mushroom pie for my morning tea. And my usual mug of mocha. The dogs went with us…expectantly looking for a party pie to share. They got it. It’s now a town tradition. You take your dogs to the bakery, you buy a party pie for them. I know which denizen to blame. She started it with her dog.

:)

Lucky I wasn’t drinking when I read that.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:15:06
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989414
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

JudgeMental said:

The gauge was being transported by a subcontracted company, which picked it up from the mine site on 12 January to move it to a storage facility in the north-east suburbs of Perth.

When it was unpacked for inspection on 25 January the gauge was found broken apart and the radioactive capsule was gone. One of four mounting bolts and screws were also missing.

Authorities said vibrations during transit may have caused the bolts to become loose, allowing the capsule to fall through gaps in the casing and truck.

I would be redesigning the container.

Would blu tac have helped?

Because I don’t think this was a wire brush and dettol situation. (I know I never thought I would come across a situation like this where WB&D wouldn’t help. We live in challenging times!)

Maybe. It is sticky.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:15:59
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989415
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Woodie said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

They are lucky a bird didn’t take it.

Or some terrorist found it first to make a bomb out of it.

Between Climate Crashing and Covid I don’t think there’s much terrorists could really add at this point! j/k

Yeah, they’re just middlemen now, no need for them.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:22:02
From: Tamb
ID: 1989416
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

Beannachtaí Daoine Álainn an Fhóraim Saoire (Greetings Beautiful People of the Holiday Forum)

Céad míle fáilte (A hundred thousand welcomes)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:24:02
From: ms spock
ID: 1989418
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

I’ve got half a lemon & herb chicken. I’ll cook up a nice sauce and roast the hen on a bed of vermicelli.

Obviously I won’t eat the lot in one sitting.


Mr Car is you were on Instagram you would have the biggest following.

tips hat

leideanna hata

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:24:25
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989419
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I iked this one.

A gowl is someone who eggs a gaff, trips over a hedgehog after legging it in the wrong direction, drops his phone down a manhole and then literally drives into a Garda car.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:26:09
From: ms spock
ID: 1989420
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

esselte said:


ms spock said:

ms spock said:

lol!

Do you have a whole song for that? That would make a great song!

Sorry, no. I just made it up. Just made me laugh, the idea a fire station without any hoses…

I asked chatGPT to write a song to the tune of a pub with no beer about a country fire station that doesn’t have any hoses and this is what it came up with. What with chatGPT going all Flowers for Algernon lately though, I’m not sure how well this works.

(Verse 1)
In a country fire station, they stand with pride
But their hoses, they have all run dry
No water to put out the flames
It’s a shame, it’s such a shame

(Chorus)
Oh, a fire station with no hoses
No way to save our homes and roses
The fire trucks stand ready to roll
But without the hoses, they’ve got no control

(Verse 2)
They’ve got the trucks and they’ve got the gear
But without the hoses, they’re in despair
The flames are raging, the people all shout
But there’s no water to douse it out

(Chorus)
Oh, a fire station with no hoses
No way to save our homes and roses
The fire trucks stand ready to roll
But without the hoses, they’ve got no control

(Bridge)
The people all pray for rain to come
To fill up the hoses and save what’s begun
For without the hoses, the fire will grow
And our homes and town will surely go

(Chorus)
Oh, a fire station with no hoses
No way to save our homes and roses
The fire trucks stand ready to roll
But without the hoses, they’ve got no control

(Outro)
So let’s all pitch in and do what we can
To make sure the fire station has a fighting stand
With hoses full, they’ll save the day
And keep our town from burning away.

Iontach! (Brilliant!)

Go raibh maith agat! (Thank you!)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:27:11
From: ms spock
ID: 1989422
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


ms spock said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

I would be redesigning the container.

Would blu tac have helped?

Because I don’t think this was a wire brush and dettol situation. (I know I never thought I would come across a situation like this where WB&D wouldn’t help. We live in challenging times!)

Maybe. It is sticky.

:)

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:27:51
From: Woodie
ID: 1989423
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Woodie said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

They are lucky a bird didn’t take it.

Or some terrorist found it first to make a bomb out of it.

Far too small a mass for that.
Fortunately.

OK. So what is all the fuss about then? Were they worried a child might swallow it?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:30:36
From: ms spock
ID: 1989424
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


ms spock said:

Woodie said:

Or some terrorist found it first to make a bomb out of it.

Between Climate Crashing and Covid I don’t think there’s much terrorists could really add at this point! j/k

Yeah, they’re just middlemen now, no need for them.

:)

It’s a terrible joke! But it is so true!

All you have to do now is get someone infected with a variant and go walking around a shopping mall.

Cesar Sayoc, Who Mailed Pipe Bombs to Trump Critics, Is Sentenced to 20 Years

If he could Science better. A lot people could have died. He could have taken out the whole branch of the elder Democracts.

9 / 11 would have been nothing if they could Science better, though they were going for a symbolic gesture.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:31:55
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989425
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Spiny Norman said:

Woodie said:

Or some terrorist found it first to make a bomb out of it.

Far too small a mass for that.
Fortunately.

OK. So what is all the fuss about then? Were they worried a child might swallow it?

It could cause severe burns if kept around one’s person for long.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:33:18
From: ms spock
ID: 1989426
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Beannachtaí Daoine Álainn an Fhóraim Saoire (Greetings Beautiful People of the Holiday Forum)

Céad míle fáilte (A hundred thousand welcomes)

Gratefully accepted with my heart Tamb! (Glactar le buíochas le mo chroí Tamb!)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:34:36
From: ms spock
ID: 1989428
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


I iked this one.

A gowl is someone who eggs a gaff, trips over a hedgehog after legging it in the wrong direction, drops his phone down a manhole and then literally drives into a Garda car.

That’s my favourite one roughbarked!

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:35:50
From: Tamb
ID: 1989429
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

Beannachtaí Daoine Álainn an Fhóraim Saoire (Greetings Beautiful People of the Holiday Forum)

Céad míle fáilte (A hundred thousand welcomes)

Gratefully accepted with my heart Tamb! (Glactar le buíochas le mo chroí Tamb!)

Má tá tú riamh istigh FNQ…..

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:35:59
From: Woodie
ID: 1989430
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Woodie said:

Spiny Norman said:

Far too small a mass for that.
Fortunately.

OK. So what is all the fuss about then? Were they worried a child might swallow it?

It could cause severe burns if kept around one’s person for long.

So how did they pick it up when they found it? Full lead lined PPE and cordon off half the state?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:38:20
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989431
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


roughbarked said:

Woodie said:

OK. So what is all the fuss about then? Were they worried a child might swallow it?

It could cause severe burns if kept around one’s person for long.

So how did they pick it up when they found it? Full lead lined PPE and cordon off half the state?

Probably used an extendable grabber?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:39:48
From: ms spock
ID: 1989433
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

Céad míle fáilte (A hundred thousand welcomes)

Gratefully accepted with my heart Tamb! (Glactar le buíochas le mo chroí Tamb!)

Má tá tú riamh istigh FNQ…..

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:40:35
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989434
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

Beannachtaí Daoine Álainn an Fhóraim Saoire (Greetings Beautiful People of the Holiday Forum)

Céad míle fáilte (A hundred thousand welcomes)

Gratefully accepted with my heart Tamb! (Glactar le buíochas le mo chroí Tamb!)

Tthat’s quite arty crafty. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:41:23
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1989435
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Spiny Norman said:

Woodie said:

Or some terrorist found it first to make a bomb out of it.

Far too small a mass for that.
Fortunately.

OK. So what is all the fuss about then? Were they worried a child might swallow it?

It emitted enough radiation in not even a minute if you held it in your hand to possibly kill you in a few days. Swallowing it would most certainly make that happen much faster. You’d cook yourself from the inside out, and your internal organs would dissolve quite quickly.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:41:33
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989436
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

May your life be bubbles of happiness.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:44:14
From: Michael V
ID: 1989437
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Spiny Norman said:

Woodie said:

Or some terrorist found it first to make a bomb out of it.

Far too small a mass for that.
Fortunately.

OK. So what is all the fuss about then? Were they worried a child might swallow it?

Radiation sickness or death. Put it in your pocket for a few hours, and you may end up losing your leg from the radiation “burn”. If anybody swallowed it, they would definitely die.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:45:18
From: Tamb
ID: 1989438
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Woodie said:

Spiny Norman said:

Far too small a mass for that.
Fortunately.

OK. So what is all the fuss about then? Were they worried a child might swallow it?

Radiation sickness or death. Put it in your pocket for a few hours, and you may end up losing your leg from the radiation “burn”. If anybody swallowed it, they would definitely die.


Anyone or anything.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:47:14
From: ms spock
ID: 1989439
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


May your life be bubbles of happiness.


Ah na boilgeoga sonas! (Ah the bubbles of happiness!)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:49:07
From: Tamb
ID: 1989441
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


roughbarked said:

May your life be bubbles of happiness.


Ah na boilgeoga sonas! (Ah the bubbles of happiness!)

Boilgeoga crochta (bubbles of hangover)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:52:29
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1989442
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

From the Betoota Advocate.

Missing Radioactive Capsule Immediately Found By Truck Driver’s Mum After She Has A Proper Look.

www.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/missing-radioactive-capsule-immediately-found-by-truck-drivers-mum-after-she-has-a-proper-look/

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:52:56
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989443
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


roughbarked said:

May your life be bubbles of happiness.


Ah na boilgeoga sonas! (Ah the bubbles of happiness!)

Ms Spock, what are you using for a guide to pronouncing the Irish words? Are you getting advice from a fluent speaker, or is there something built in to your instructional material?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:54:09
From: Michael V
ID: 1989444
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


roughbarked said:

Woodie said:

OK. So what is all the fuss about then? Were they worried a child might swallow it?

It could cause severe burns if kept around one’s person for long.

So how did they pick it up when they found it? Full lead lined PPE and cordon off half the state?

Most likely using the proper tool for the job. (Which is like a very long pair of fireplace tongs.) The people doing the job (one operator and one observer) would each have a wearable radiation dose monitor that is sent to ARPANSA on completion. Correct PPE is important, particularly to protect the mouth (ingestion) and nose (inhalation). The observer would likely have a portable scintillometer (or similar) to record the dose rate.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:56:45
From: Michael V
ID: 1989445
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


From the Betoota Advocate.

Missing Radioactive Capsule Immediately Found By Truck Driver’s Mum After She Has A Proper Look.

www.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/missing-radioactive-capsule-immediately-found-by-truck-drivers-mum-after-she-has-a-proper-look/

Link doesn’t work. Here’s the URL.

www.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/missing-radioactive-capsule-immediately-found-by-truck-drivers-mum-after-she-has-a-proper-look/

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:58:03
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1989447
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Spiny Norman said:

From the Betoota Advocate.

Missing Radioactive Capsule Immediately Found By Truck Driver’s Mum After She Has A Proper Look.

www.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/missing-radioactive-capsule-immediately-found-by-truck-drivers-mum-after-she-has-a-proper-look/

Link doesn’t work. Here’s the URL.

www.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/missing-radioactive-capsule-immediately-found-by-truck-drivers-mum-after-she-has-a-proper-look/

I forgot to add the ‘http’ at the start. I usually check for that before I post too, sod it.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 10:59:12
From: sibeen
ID: 1989448
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Woodie said:

Spiny Norman said:

Far too small a mass for that.
Fortunately.

OK. So what is all the fuss about then? Were they worried a child might swallow it?

It emitted enough radiation in not even a minute if you held it in your hand to possibly kill you in a few days. Swallowing it would most certainly make that happen much faster. You’d cook yourself from the inside out, and your internal organs would dissolve quite quickly.

I thought it was being reported that it gave out radiation equivalent to 10 x-rays in an hour. I suspect that if you held it for a minute there would be no long term affects.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 11:11:12
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989451
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Michael V said:

Spiny Norman said:

From the Betoota Advocate.

Missing Radioactive Capsule Immediately Found By Truck Driver’s Mum After She Has A Proper Look.

www.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/missing-radioactive-capsule-immediately-found-by-truck-drivers-mum-after-she-has-a-proper-look/

Link doesn’t work. Here’s the URL.

www.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/missing-radioactive-capsule-immediately-found-by-truck-drivers-mum-after-she-has-a-proper-look/

I forgot to add the ‘http’ at the start. I usually check for that before I post too, sod it.

Honestly, that story had some potential for truth in it.

I took part in some ‘disaster exercises’ many years ago.

In one, i was one of a bunch of people lost in bushland (a National Park). Two or three of us were at the bottom of a small drop-off (over which we might have blundered in the dark), quite close to a fire trail.

We stayed there, and could hear searchers’ vehicles going back and forth throughout the day, but we were never found. If you can’t be seen from the back of the truck…

In another exercise (a ‘plane crash’, but it couldn’t be called that because once you say those magic words, the cops jump in and everyone has to do it their way or no way at all, so some things don’t get a proper workout), there was a list of ‘passengers and crew’ available to searchers.

At the end of the day, one ‘casualty’ had not been found (‘unconscious’ behind a large rock), but the search organisation was declaring over, done with, packing up. Not until they were pointedly reminded that they were short one person did they reluctantly continue their efforts.

I do hope that things have improved.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 11:19:28
From: Cymek
ID: 1989455
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Greetings

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 11:25:58
From: Tamb
ID: 1989459
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Greetings

G’day.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 11:36:01
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1989463
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Woodie said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

They are lucky a bird didn’t take it.

Or some terrorist found it first to make a bomb out of it.

Between Climate Crashing and Covid I don’t think there’s much terrorists could really add at this point! j/k

we mean people causing those disasters are the terrorists

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 11:41:39
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989468
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Spiny Norman said:

Woodie said:

Or some terrorist found it first to make a bomb out of it.

Far too small a mass for that.
Fortunately.

OK. So what is all the fuss about then? Were they worried a child might swallow it?

because it is dangerous at close quarters.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 11:42:35
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989469
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


roughbarked said:

Woodie said:

OK. So what is all the fuss about then? Were they worried a child might swallow it?

It could cause severe burns if kept around one’s person for long.

So how did they pick it up when they found it? Full lead lined PPE and cordon off half the state?

probably with a special pick-up tool.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:05:19
From: buffy
ID: 1989474
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Does anyone want to be outraged?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/australian-5-dollar-note-queen-redesign/101920798

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:09:40
From: Michael V
ID: 1989475
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Does anyone want to be outraged?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/australian-5-dollar-note-queen-redesign/101920798

Pass.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:11:13
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989476
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning pilgrims, hot ang humid in SEQ today, typical February weather.
Over.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:11:39
From: buffy
ID: 1989477
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I thought it was getting windier. I was outside potting up plants for a friend and doing some cutting pots and the trees were chucking stuff at me. I don’t think I should stay out under the big gums at the moment. BoM says now gusting into the mid 60s in Hamilton. Feels more like mid 70s to me, but perhaps I am drama queening.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:12:59
From: buffy
ID: 1989478
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Morning pilgrims, hot ang humid in SEQ today, typical February weather.
Over.

We are not typically Feb weather down here. It’s only about 15 degrees and much too humid. We’d usually be into the high 30s and humidity dropping under 10. Not complaining though, I like it cooler. Less fire worry.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:13:05
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989479
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

Does anyone want to be outraged?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/australian-5-dollar-note-queen-redesign/101920798

Pass.

I’ll see it one day.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:16:43
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989480
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Does anyone want to be outraged?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/australian-5-dollar-note-queen-redesign/101920798

The headline was enough for me.

Dutton says King Charles snub in $5 note redesign an ‘attack on society’.

> When what he actually meant was, “How dare you put an aborigine on the king’s money”.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:18:47
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989481
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Does anyone want to be outraged?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/australian-5-dollar-note-queen-redesign/101920798

outraged that dutton is outraged.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:19:56
From: Cymek
ID: 1989482
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

Does anyone want to be outraged?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/australian-5-dollar-note-queen-redesign/101920798

The headline was enough for me.

Dutton says King Charles snub in $5 note redesign an ‘attack on society’.

> When what he actually meant was, “How dare you put an aborigine on the king’s money”.

What a moronic think to think let alone say (Dutton not you)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:21:38
From: buffy
ID: 1989483
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

Does anyone want to be outraged?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/australian-5-dollar-note-queen-redesign/101920798

The headline was enough for me.

Dutton says King Charles snub in $5 note redesign an ‘attack on society’.

> When what he actually meant was, “How dare you put an aborigine on the king’s money”.

There is already an aboriginal person on one of the other notes. I understand from actually reading the news item, that a design of commemoration and recognition is to be devised.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:22:52
From: buffy
ID: 1989484
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I just flicked through the ABC JustIn. I have two questions on the Pell funeral. The first is: why a white coffin? The second is: What is the red flag the protestors are carrying. I seem to have missed that one.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:25:30
From: Michael V
ID: 1989486
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I thought it was getting windier. I was outside potting up plants for a friend and doing some cutting pots and the trees were chucking stuff at me. I don’t think I should stay out under the big gums at the moment. BoM says now gusting into the mid 60s in Hamilton. Feels more like mid 70s to me, but perhaps I am drama queening.

km/h or knots?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:26:05
From: Woodie
ID: 1989488
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Woodie said:

Spiny Norman said:

Far too small a mass for that.
Fortunately.

OK. So what is all the fuss about then? Were they worried a child might swallow it?

It emitted enough radiation in not even a minute if you held it in your hand to possibly kill you in a few days. Swallowing it would most certainly make that happen much faster. You’d cook yourself from the inside out, and your internal organs would dissolve quite quickly.

Oh well then. Much better they found it quickly then, hey what but. Wouldn’t want My Pooty getting his hands on that sorta stuff. I’m sure he’d find a myriad of use for it. Much more sophisticated than pushing them out the window.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:27:49
From: Michael V
ID: 1989489
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

Does anyone want to be outraged?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/australian-5-dollar-note-queen-redesign/101920798

The headline was enough for me.

Dutton says King Charles snub in $5 note redesign an ‘attack on society’.

> When what he actually meant was, “How dare you put an aborigine on the king’s money”.

There is already an aboriginal person on one of the other notes. I understand from actually reading the news item, that a design of commemoration and recognition is to be devised.

$50 note.

Better to celebrate many people than just one, who doesn’t even live here anyway.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:28:57
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989490
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

roughbarked said:

The headline was enough for me.

Dutton says King Charles snub in $5 note redesign an ‘attack on society’.

> When what he actually meant was, “How dare you put an aborigine on the king’s money”.

There is already an aboriginal person on one of the other notes. I understand from actually reading the news item, that a design of commemoration and recognition is to be devised.

$50 note.

Better to celebrate many people than just one, who doesn’t even live here anyway.

Yep.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:29:19
From: Woodie
ID: 1989491
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:

The observer would likely have a portable scintillometer (or similar) to record the dose rate.

That would be rather scintillating.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:30:21
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989492
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


buffy said:

Does anyone want to be outraged?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/australian-5-dollar-note-queen-redesign/101920798

outraged that dutton is outraged.

I’m glad that Dutton is outraged :)

The only people likely to share his view on this would be the handful who want him to be PM.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:31:52
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989493
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I just flicked through the ABC JustIn. I have two questions on the Pell funeral. The first is: why a white coffin? The second is: What is the red flag the protestors are carrying. I seem to have missed that one.

Red flag?

Hostile aircraft in the vicinity!

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:32:19
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989494
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Lunch: Pig sausage in a tiger roll.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:33:34
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989495
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


buffy said:

I just flicked through the ABC JustIn. I have two questions on the Pell funeral. The first is: why a white coffin? The second is: What is the red flag the protestors are carrying. I seem to have missed that one.

Red flag?

Hostile aircraft in the vicinity!

Maybe it is hostile coffin?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:34:59
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1989496
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Pharmaceutical-grade Prussian blue in particular is used for people who have ingested thallium (Tl+) or radioactive caesium (134Cs+, 137Cs+) . According to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), an adult male can eat at least 10 g of Prussian blue per day without serious harm.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:37:02
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989497
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I just flicked through the ABC JustIn. I have two questions on the Pell funeral. The first is: why a white coffin? The second is: What is the red flag the protestors are carrying. I seem to have missed that one.

Some socialist group was there.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:38:51
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989499
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


buffy said:

I just flicked through the ABC JustIn. I have two questions on the Pell funeral. The first is: why a white coffin? The second is: What is the red flag the protestors are carrying. I seem to have missed that one.

Some socialist group was there.

i just watched a chaser thing/

they crashed Pell’s funeral with boxes labelled ‘evidence’ saying it needed to be buried with him.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:43:08
From: buffy
ID: 1989500
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

I thought it was getting windier. I was outside potting up plants for a friend and doing some cutting pots and the trees were chucking stuff at me. I don’t think I should stay out under the big gums at the moment. BoM says now gusting into the mid 60s in Hamilton. Feels more like mid 70s to me, but perhaps I am drama queening.

km/h or knots?

km/hr

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:43:12
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989501
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

buffy said:

I just flicked through the ABC JustIn. I have two questions on the Pell funeral. The first is: why a white coffin? The second is: What is the red flag the protestors are carrying. I seem to have missed that one.

Some socialist group was there.

i just watched a chaser thing/

they crashed Pell’s funeral with boxes labelled ‘evidence’ saying it needed to be buried with him.

There’ll be some in the church wishing it was that easy.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:47:13
From: Michael V
ID: 1989502
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Michael V said:

buffy said:

I thought it was getting windier. I was outside potting up plants for a friend and doing some cutting pots and the trees were chucking stuff at me. I don’t think I should stay out under the big gums at the moment. BoM says now gusting into the mid 60s in Hamilton. Feels more like mid 70s to me, but perhaps I am drama queening.

km/h or knots?

km/hr

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 12:59:44
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1989503
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


buffy said:

Does anyone want to be outraged?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/australian-5-dollar-note-queen-redesign/101920798

outraged that dutton is outraged.

I used to be a noyed by this sort of thing.

These days I’m just a pathetic.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:03:29
From: sibeen
ID: 1989504
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


sarahs mum said:

buffy said:

Does anyone want to be outraged?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/australian-5-dollar-note-queen-redesign/101920798

outraged that dutton is outraged.

I used to be a noyed by this sort of thing.

These days I’m just a pathetic.

ROFL

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:05:07
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989505
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


sarahs mum said:

buffy said:

Does anyone want to be outraged?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/australian-5-dollar-note-queen-redesign/101920798

outraged that dutton is outraged.

I used to be a noyed by this sort of thing.

These days I’m just a pathetic.

At my age, life’s too short to get a noyed about much.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:05:44
From: Woodie
ID: 1989506
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


sarahs mum said:

buffy said:

Does anyone want to be outraged?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/australian-5-dollar-note-queen-redesign/101920798

outraged that dutton is outraged.

I used to be a noyed by this sort of thing.

These days I’m just a pathetic.

You really should be a lert, Mr Dodgy Rev. The country needs lerts.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:08:04
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989507
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

sarahs mum said:

outraged that dutton is outraged.

I used to be a noyed by this sort of thing.

These days I’m just a pathetic.

You really should be a lert, Mr Dodgy Rev. The country needs lerts.

Just as long as you aren’t a larm. There is too many larms about already.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:08:43
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1989508
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

sarahs mum said:

outraged that dutton is outraged.

I used to be a noyed by this sort of thing.

These days I’m just a pathetic.

You really should be a lert, Mr Dodgy Rev. The country needs lerts.

I try to be a lert, but end up just being a larmed, in spite of Mr. Howard.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:08:52
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989509
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Auditor-General has criticised the Department of Regional New South Wales, saying the process for fast-tracked grants in the Bushfire Local Economic Recovery Program (BLER Fund) “lacked integrity”.

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:13:55
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989510
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

buffy said:

I just flicked through the ABC JustIn. I have two questions on the Pell funeral. The first is: why a white coffin? The second is: What is the red flag the protestors are carrying. I seem to have missed that one.

Some socialist group was there.

i just watched a chaser thing/

they crashed Pell’s funeral with boxes labelled ‘evidence’ saying it needed to be buried with him.

Pay that one.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:16:14
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989511
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


The Auditor-General has criticised the Department of Regional New South Wales, saying the process for fast-tracked grants in the Bushfire Local Economic Recovery Program (BLER Fund) “lacked integrity”.

Link

BLERP.

Gotta love an acronym like that.

And since when has a L/NP government even recognised the existence of the word ‘integrity’?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:18:47
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989512
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

buffy said:

I just flicked through the ABC JustIn. I have two questions on the Pell funeral. The first is: why a white coffin? The second is: What is the red flag the protestors are carrying. I seem to have missed that one.

Some socialist group was there.

i just watched a chaser thing/

they crashed Pell’s funeral with boxes labelled ‘evidence’ saying it needed to be buried with him.

Here lies Pedo Pell.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:20:07
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989514
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

buffy said:

I just flicked through the ABC JustIn. I have two questions on the Pell funeral. The first is: why a white coffin? The second is: What is the red flag the protestors are carrying. I seem to have missed that one.

Some socialist group was there.

i just watched a chaser thing/

they crashed Pell’s funeral with boxes labelled ‘evidence’ saying it needed to be buried with him.

Great way to cover things up.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:20:36
From: Cymek
ID: 1989515
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


roughbarked said:

The Auditor-General has criticised the Department of Regional New South Wales, saying the process for fast-tracked grants in the Bushfire Local Economic Recovery Program (BLER Fund) “lacked integrity”.

Link

BLERP.

Gotta love an acronym like that.

And since when has a L/NP government even recognised the existence of the word ‘integrity’?

Good be a swear word or blasphemous

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:21:14
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989516
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Woodie said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

I used to be a noyed by this sort of thing.

These days I’m just a pathetic.

You really should be a lert, Mr Dodgy Rev. The country needs lerts.

I try to be a lert, but end up just being a larmed, in spite of Mr. Howard.

Imagine John Howard’s funeral, phoaw.
The left will have all their placards ready to go, just waiting for the big day.
And the ABC will be there to cover the protests…………I mean the funeral.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:22:08
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989517
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Some socialist group was there.

i just watched a chaser thing/

they crashed Pell’s funeral with boxes labelled ‘evidence’ saying it needed to be buried with him.

Great way to cover things up.

The Ivana Trump Ploy.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:22:10
From: Cymek
ID: 1989518
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Some socialist group was there.

i just watched a chaser thing/

they crashed Pell’s funeral with boxes labelled ‘evidence’ saying it needed to be buried with him.

Great way to cover things up.

Something that did annoy me besides all of the Pell saga is they had Aboriginal flags at half mast when he died, wonder if they asked them if that was OK.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:23:36
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989520
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

sarahs mum said:

i just watched a chaser thing/

they crashed Pell’s funeral with boxes labelled ‘evidence’ saying it needed to be buried with him.

Great way to cover things up.

Something that did annoy me besides all of the Pell saga is they had Aboriginal flags at half mast when he died, wonder if they asked them if that was OK.

Inappropriate use I think.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:28:14
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989522
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

sarahs mum said:

i just watched a chaser thing/

they crashed Pell’s funeral with boxes labelled ‘evidence’ saying it needed to be buried with him.

Great way to cover things up.

The Ivana Trump Ploy.

Cover up those blunt impact injuries.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:29:10
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989523
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Michael V said:

buffy said:

I thought it was getting windier. I was outside potting up plants for a friend and doing some cutting pots and the trees were chucking stuff at me. I don’t think I should stay out under the big gums at the moment. BoM says now gusting into the mid 60s in Hamilton. Feels more like mid 70s to me, but perhaps I am drama queening.

km/h or knots?

km/hr

Should be quite breezy round transition’s way too

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:29:52
From: kii
ID: 1989524
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

My Gracie Blue has been ill since Sunday. The runny nose issue stopped, she became very lethargic and was flinching away from anything touching her head. Vet checked her out and put her on prednisone. She’s much better tonight.
The flinching was very upsetting, she acted like I was going to hit her. My poor baby cakes princess.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:32:24
From: Cymek
ID: 1989525
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


My Gracie Blue has been ill since Sunday. The runny nose issue stopped, she became very lethargic and was flinching away from anything touching her head. Vet checked her out and put her on prednisone. She’s much better tonight.
The flinching was very upsetting, she acted like I was going to hit her. My poor baby cakes princess.

Good she is better, what was wrong with her

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:34:02
From: transition
ID: 1989526
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

armarnarmarnar

lady’s getting the foods for a proper lunch, meat, potatoes we has mash potatoes, lots gravy, steaming vegetables, whatever, i’m hungry for a good meal

I gots scurvy, iron deficient too probably, gots the malnutritions

not really, just wants good meal, wants meat, craves meat, we hardly eats much meat

in other news just hooks other rainwater tank up to drains it, it is draining, slowly, waters garden with, not wastes

nothing further to report

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:35:37
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989527
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


My Gracie Blue has been ill since Sunday. The runny nose issue stopped, she became very lethargic and was flinching away from anything touching her head. Vet checked her out and put her on prednisone. She’s much better tonight.
The flinching was very upsetting, she acted like I was going to hit her. My poor baby cakes princess.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:35:51
From: kii
ID: 1989528
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


kii said:

My Gracie Blue has been ill since Sunday. The runny nose issue stopped, she became very lethargic and was flinching away from anything touching her head. Vet checked her out and put her on prednisone. She’s much better tonight.
The flinching was very upsetting, she acted like I was going to hit her. My poor baby cakes princess.

Good she is better, what was wrong with her

Sinus issues…inflammation. No fever, but a few spewy mucous vomits.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:37:46
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989530
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


armarnarmarnar

lady’s getting the foods for a proper lunch, meat, potatoes we has mash potatoes, lots gravy, steaming vegetables, whatever, i’m hungry for a good meal

I gots scurvy, iron deficient too probably, gots the malnutritions

not really, just wants good meal, wants meat, craves meat, we hardly eats much meat

in other news just hooks other rainwater tank up to drains it, it is draining, slowly, waters garden with, not wastes

nothing further to report

Have a good feed of flesh.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:40:38
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989533
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

i know itis inappropriate to speak badly of the dead. But glorifying and martyrising Pell is fucked.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:42:00
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989535
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


i know itis inappropriate to speak badly of the dead. But glorifying and martyrising Pell is fucked.

Pell does not deserve that burial.

Not one bit.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:42:15
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989536
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


i know itis inappropriate to speak badly of the dead. But glorifying and martyrising Pell is fucked.

At least I am not alone in thinking that.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:44:24
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989538
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


i know itis inappropriate to speak badly of the dead. But glorifying and martyrising Pell is fucked.

I’m a bit surprised they didn’t keep it all very low key.

After his release from prison he buggered off back to Italy, no doubt on advice that his continued presence in Oz would be too controversial.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:45:09
From: Kingy
ID: 1989539
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

i know itis inappropriate to speak badly of the dead. But glorifying and martyrising Pell is fucked.

At least I am not alone in thinking that.

Someone on the radio today was claiming that he was a living Saint.

I nearly threw up.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:47:18
From: Kingy
ID: 1989540
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


roughbarked said:

The Auditor-General has criticised the Department of Regional New South Wales, saying the process for fast-tracked grants in the Bushfire Local Economic Recovery Program (BLER Fund) “lacked integrity”.

Link

BLERP.

Gotta love an acronym like that.

And since when has a L/NP government even recognised the existence of the word ‘integrity’?

The trough has enough integrity that we can consume all the taxpayers money without any leaking out to the peasantry.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:47:59
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989541
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


sarahs mum said:

buffy said:

Does anyone want to be outraged?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/australian-5-dollar-note-queen-redesign/101920798

outraged that dutton is outraged.

I used to be a noyed by this sort of thing.

These days I’m just a pathetic.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:48:11
From: Michael V
ID: 1989542
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


i know itis inappropriate to speak badly of the dead. But glorifying and martyrising Pell is fucked.

+ a zillion.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:49:13
From: Michael V
ID: 1989543
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:

i know itis inappropriate to speak badly of the dead. But glorifying and martyrising Pell is fucked.

At least I am not alone in thinking that.

Someone on the radio today was claiming that he was a living Saint.

I nearly threw up.

They are wrong. He is a dead bugger.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:49:46
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989544
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

i know itis inappropriate to speak badly of the dead. But glorifying and martyrising Pell is fucked.

At least I am not alone in thinking that.

Bury Pell under a sewer pipe.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:50:16
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989545
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


i know itis inappropriate to speak badly of the dead…

never held that view.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:50:19
From: Michael V
ID: 1989546
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

sarahs mum said:

outraged that dutton is outraged.

I used to be a noyed by this sort of thing.

These days I’m just a pathetic.


:)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 13:55:04
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989547
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


sarahs mum said:

i know itis inappropriate to speak badly of the dead…

never held that view.

good.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:00:42
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989549
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:

i know itis inappropriate to speak badly of the dead. But glorifying and martyrising Pell is fucked.

At least I am not alone in thinking that.

Bury Pell under a sewer pipe.

He always was a turd.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:03:16
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989550
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

sarahs mum said:

At least I am not alone in thinking that.

Bury Pell under a sewer pipe.

He always was a turd.

I mean he was a Conservative and a Catholic, just how evil can someone get.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:03:42
From: Cymek
ID: 1989551
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Bury Pell under a sewer pipe.

He always was a turd.

I mean he was a Conservative and a Catholic, just how evil can someone get.

He kicked dogs and cats as well

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:07:35
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989552
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Kingy said:

sarahs mum said:

At least I am not alone in thinking that.

Someone on the radio today was claiming that he was a living Saint.

I nearly threw up.

They are wrong. He is a dead bugger.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:08:02
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989553
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

He always was a turd.

I mean he was a Conservative and a Catholic, just how evil can someone get.

He kicked dogs and cats as well

bastard!!!

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:08:05
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989554
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

He always was a turd.

I mean he was a Conservative and a Catholic, just how evil can someone get.

He kicked dogs and cats as well

Probably ate pizza with pineapple on it.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:09:44
From: Cymek
ID: 1989555
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

We got our cost of living payment ($3000), backpay for wage increase and the wage increase for this pay.
Paid extra amounts of tax on it all of course, the cost of living payment is deceptive as its not $3000 at all after tax

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:09:47
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989556
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Michael V said:

Kingy said:

Someone on the radio today was claiming that he was a living Saint.

I nearly threw up.

They are wrong. He is a dead bugger.


I’d rather see the church empty.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:09:59
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989557
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Cymek said:

Peak Warming Man said:

I mean he was a Conservative and a Catholic, just how evil can someone get.

He kicked dogs and cats as well

bastard!!!

+1

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:10:48
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989558
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Cymek said:

Peak Warming Man said:

I mean he was a Conservative and a Catholic, just how evil can someone get.

He kicked dogs and cats as well

Probably ate pizza with pineapple on it.

Bastard, no one should ever do that, its just wrong.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:12:31
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989559
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Cymek said:

Peak Warming Man said:

I mean he was a Conservative and a Catholic, just how evil can someone get.

He kicked dogs and cats as well

Probably ate pizza with pineapple on it.

everyone has a redeeming trait if you look hard enough.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:13:02
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989560
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


We got our cost of living payment ($3000), backpay for wage increase and the wage increase for this pay.
Paid extra amounts of tax on it all of course, the cost of living payment is deceptive as its not $3000 at all after tax

Are you going to treat yourself to something special?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:14:22
From: Cymek
ID: 1989561
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Cymek said:

We got our cost of living payment ($3000), backpay for wage increase and the wage increase for this pay.
Paid extra amounts of tax on it all of course, the cost of living payment is deceptive as its not $3000 at all after tax

Are you going to treat yourself to something special?

Maybe, have rates to pay first.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:16:05
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989563
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Michael V said:

Kingy said:

Someone on the radio today was claiming that he was a living Saint.

I nearly threw up.

They are wrong. He is a dead bugger.


I reckon we would all be better off if all the people who went to his funeral shared Covid and passed away.

Probably similar thinkers, so nothing lost.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:16:54
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989564
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


We got our cost of living payment ($3000), backpay for wage increase and the wage increase for this pay.
Paid extra amounts of tax on it all of course, the cost of living payment is deceptive as its not $3000 at all after tax

Should be tax free.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:18:09
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989565
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Rain Band coming over, should reach Melb in around an hour or so.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:18:49
From: sibeen
ID: 1989566
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Cymek said:

We got our cost of living payment ($3000), backpay for wage increase and the wage increase for this pay.
Paid extra amounts of tax on it all of course, the cost of living payment is deceptive as its not $3000 at all after tax

Should be tax free.

Why?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:20:25
From: Cymek
ID: 1989567
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Cymek said:

We got our cost of living payment ($3000), backpay for wage increase and the wage increase for this pay.
Paid extra amounts of tax on it all of course, the cost of living payment is deceptive as its not $3000 at all after tax

Should be tax free.

You’d think so

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:21:26
From: Kingy
ID: 1989568
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


We got our cost of living payment ($3000), backpay for wage increase and the wage increase for this pay.
Paid extra amounts of tax on it all of course, the cost of living payment is deceptive as its not $3000 at all after tax

How does one acquire all of those?

Asking for a friend…

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:21:28
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989569
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Cymek said:

We got our cost of living payment ($3000), backpay for wage increase and the wage increase for this pay.
Paid extra amounts of tax on it all of course, the cost of living payment is deceptive as its not $3000 at all after tax

Should be tax free.

Why?

As a good gesture.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:21:57
From: Cymek
ID: 1989570
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Cymek said:

We got our cost of living payment ($3000), backpay for wage increase and the wage increase for this pay.
Paid extra amounts of tax on it all of course, the cost of living payment is deceptive as its not $3000 at all after tax

Should be tax free.

Why?

Its meant to help you out with expenses due to the cost of living increasing and was a specific amount offered except its not this amount
Maybe I’m dreaming

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:22:22
From: Cymek
ID: 1989571
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Cymek said:

We got our cost of living payment ($3000), backpay for wage increase and the wage increase for this pay.
Paid extra amounts of tax on it all of course, the cost of living payment is deceptive as its not $3000 at all after tax

How does one acquire all of those?

Asking for a friend…

Working for the public service

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:23:25
From: sibeen
ID: 1989572
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


sibeen said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Should be tax free.

Why?

Its meant to help you out with expenses due to the cost of living increasing and was a specific amount offered except its not this amount
Maybe I’m dreaming

But aren’t the majority of pay rises given due to the cost of living increasing?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:24:15
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989573
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Kingy said:

Cymek said:

We got our cost of living payment ($3000), backpay for wage increase and the wage increase for this pay.
Paid extra amounts of tax on it all of course, the cost of living payment is deceptive as its not $3000 at all after tax

How does one acquire all of those?

Asking for a friend…

Working for the public service

Well, that’s why i never got one.

I was in the public service for years, but no-one ever accused me of working for it.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:26:11
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989574
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I can only really afford one of two treats in the first half of this year, with option a) being slightly more expensive.

a) A seven course Renaissance-style lute.

….or

b) A new much more powerful desktop computer.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:28:08
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989575
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


I can only really afford one of two treats in the first half of this year, with option a) being slightly more expensive.

a) A seven course Renaissance-style lute.

….or

b) A new much more powerful desktop computer.


Get the lute.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:28:31
From: Cymek
ID: 1989576
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Cymek said:

sibeen said:

Why?

Its meant to help you out with expenses due to the cost of living increasing and was a specific amount offered except its not this amount
Maybe I’m dreaming

But aren’t the majority of pay rises given due to the cost of living increasing?

That is true, this was a one of payment though I did think perhaps it was the entire amount we’d get.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:30:29
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989577
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

I can only really afford one of two treats in the first half of this year, with option a) being slightly more expensive.

a) A seven course Renaissance-style lute.

….or

b) A new much more powerful desktop computer.


Get the lute.

OTOH you really need a new computer.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:31:16
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989578
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

I can only really afford one of two treats in the first half of this year, with option a) being slightly more expensive.

a) A seven course Renaissance-style lute.

….or

b) A new much more powerful desktop computer.


Get the lute.

OTOH you really need a new computer.

Get the PC first then the Lute for xmas.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:32:05
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989579
Subject: re: Chat February 2023


Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:32:49
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989580
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Get the lute.

OTOH you really need a new computer.

Get the PC first then the Lute for xmas.

Sensible advice.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:33:09
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989581
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

I can only really afford one of two treats in the first half of this year, with option a) being slightly more expensive.

a) A seven course Renaissance-style lute.

….or

b) A new much more powerful desktop computer.


Get the lute.

+1

You can then skip through the village with it singing merrily merrily merrily.
Merrily merrily merrily.
Merrily merrily.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:33:26
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989582
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

I can only really afford one of two treats in the first half of this year, with option a) being slightly more expensive.

a) A seven course Renaissance-style lute.

….or

b) A new much more powerful desktop computer.


Get the lute.

OTOH you really need a new computer.

yep. also hours of your day. also you have practice to be do already.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:33:45
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989583
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Turn all the churches and cathedrals into community art galleries where local artists can sell there work for free.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:34:16
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989584
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:




Who’s the first fellow? Looks familiar but the name escapes.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:35:33
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989585
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:



Who’s the first fellow? Looks familiar but the name escapes.

A. Blot on society, i believe.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:35:36
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989586
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Cymek said:

We got our cost of living payment ($3000), backpay for wage increase and the wage increase for this pay.
Paid extra amounts of tax on it all of course, the cost of living payment is deceptive as its not $3000 at all after tax

Should be tax free.

Why?

cos it would be nice.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:35:45
From: Michael V
ID: 1989587
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Michael V said:

Kingy said:

Someone on the radio today was claiming that he was a living Saint.

I nearly threw up.

They are wrong. He is a dead bugger.


LOLOLOLOL

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:35:56
From: sibeen
ID: 1989588
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Turn all the churches and cathedrals into community art galleries where local artists can sell there work for free.

Wouldn’t selling the work for free really just be giving it away?

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:38:11
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989589
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“George Pell go to hell, take Dutton there as well”.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/nsw/2023/02/02/protesters-rally-outside-cardinal-pell-funeral/

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:39:05
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989590
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Turn all the churches and cathedrals into community art galleries where local artists can sell there work for free.

Wouldn’t selling the work for free really just be giving it away?

:)

I meant no charge for selling.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:40:11
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989591
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:



Who’s the first fellow? Looks familiar but the name escapes.

A. Blot on society, i believe.

Ah, the bolted one. Carry on.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:41:46
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989592
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


captain_spalding said:

Bubblecar said:

Who’s the first fellow? Looks familiar but the name escapes.

A. Blot on society, i believe.

Ah, the bolted one. Carry on.

meeting of the axis of evil.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:43:07
From: buffy
ID: 1989593
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


sibeen said:

Cymek said:

Its meant to help you out with expenses due to the cost of living increasing and was a specific amount offered except its not this amount
Maybe I’m dreaming

But aren’t the majority of pay rises given due to the cost of living increasing?

That is true, this was a one of payment though I did think perhaps it was the entire amount we’d get.

Was this a State government thing?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:43:50
From: Michael V
ID: 1989594
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:




Crowds of pepe in a church? Pell’s funeral?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:44:05
From: Cymek
ID: 1989595
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


“George Pell go to hell, take Dutton there as well”.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/nsw/2023/02/02/protesters-rally-outside-cardinal-pell-funeral/

Link

You’d think with his not so clean legacy it would exclude any sort of big deal mourning.
All is forgiven if you are a Catholic

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:44:28
From: Cymek
ID: 1989596
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Cymek said:

sibeen said:

But aren’t the majority of pay rises given due to the cost of living increasing?

That is true, this was a one of payment though I did think perhaps it was the entire amount we’d get.

Was this a State government thing?

Yes

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:45:30
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989597
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:



Crowds of pepe in a church? Pell’s funeral?

Pell’s funeral with the focus on Andrew Bolt and Alan Jones.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:46:04
From: buffy
ID: 1989598
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Ah, I see the ABC piece no longer says a white coffin, but a coffin draped with a white cloth.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:46:32
From: Cymek
ID: 1989599
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


JudgeMental said:

“George Pell go to hell, take Dutton there as well”.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/nsw/2023/02/02/protesters-rally-outside-cardinal-pell-funeral/

Link

You’d think with his not so clean legacy it would exclude any sort of big deal mourning.
All is forgiven if you are a Catholic

Plus for people to protest at a funeral shows how upset they are, they aren’t some racist neo Nazis group being arseholes they are angry at the hypocrisy.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:47:43
From: Cymek
ID: 1989600
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Religion loves ritual and pageantry as well, helps to make it seem legit

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:48:57
From: Michael V
ID: 1989601
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


captain_spalding said:

Bubblecar said:

Who’s the first fellow? Looks familiar but the name escapes.

A. Blot on society, i believe.

Ah, the bolted one. Carry on.

Blot, Bolt. I saw what you did there.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:49:28
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1989602
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


sibeen said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Should be tax free.

Why?

cos it would be nice.

Much as it pains me to agree with sibeen, I approve of the principal that people who receive more income should pay more tax.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:49:56
From: Michael V
ID: 1989603
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:



Crowds of pepe in a church? Pell’s funeral?

Pell’s funeral with the focus on Andrew Bolt and Alan Jones.

Ta.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:51:18
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989604
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Religion loves ritual and pageantry as well, helps to make it seem legit

Superstition in suitably fancy dress can be very attractive to the vulnerable, which can include some otherwise intelligent people.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:51:36
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989605
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


JudgeMental said:

“George Pell go to hell, take Dutton there as well”.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/nsw/2023/02/02/protesters-rally-outside-cardinal-pell-funeral/

Link

You’d think with his not so clean legacy it would exclude any sort of big deal mourning.
All is forgiven if you are a Catholic

I think religion damages people in more ways than one.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:52:34
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989606
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:



Crowds of pepe in a church? Pell’s funeral?

Pell’s funeral with the focus on Andrew Bolt and Alan Jones.

Both of them are a waste of time.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:55:42
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989607
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Cymek said:

JudgeMental said:

“George Pell go to hell, take Dutton there as well”.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/nsw/2023/02/02/protesters-rally-outside-cardinal-pell-funeral/

Link

You’d think with his not so clean legacy it would exclude any sort of big deal mourning.
All is forgiven if you are a Catholic

I think religion damages people in more ways than one.

Some say it’s even worse for you than dope.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:58:26
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989608
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Cymek said:

You’d think with his not so clean legacy it would exclude any sort of big deal mourning.
All is forgiven if you are a Catholic

I think religion damages people in more ways than one.

Some say it’s even worse for you than dope.

Not everyone can handle dope.

Some end up in hospital.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:58:27
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989609
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Cymek said:

You’d think with his not so clean legacy it would exclude any sort of big deal mourning.
All is forgiven if you are a Catholic

I think religion damages people in more ways than one.

Some say it’s even worse for you than dope.

with religion, if you are a true believer, you have to take the whole lot. with dope you can take as much or as little as you like.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 14:59:20
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989610
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Being emotionally connected to something that does not exist must have consequences.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:00:32
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989611
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Being emotionally connected to something that does not exist must have consequences.

The first being that believing in a god affects peoples observation.

From there its down hill.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:01:55
From: sibeen
ID: 1989612
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

I think religion damages people in more ways than one.

Some say it’s even worse for you than dope.

with religion, if you are a true believer, you have to take the whole lot. with dope you can take as much or as little as you like.

I’m pretty sure that even true believers sometimes pick and choose which bits of dogma they are going to swallow. The Catholic Church still doesn’t approve of contraception, Catholics, on the other hand, are quite avid users.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:04:13
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989613
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


JudgeMental said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Some say it’s even worse for you than dope.

with religion, if you are a true believer, you have to take the whole lot. with dope you can take as much or as little as you like.

I’m pretty sure that even true believers sometimes pick and choose which bits of dogma they are going to swallow. The Catholic Church still doesn’t approve of contraception, Catholics, on the other hand, are quite avid users.

then they aren’t true believers. you either agree with an infallible god or you don’t. I mean, are you judging god?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:05:18
From: sibeen
ID: 1989614
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


sibeen said:

JudgeMental said:

with religion, if you are a true believer, you have to take the whole lot. with dope you can take as much or as little as you like.

I’m pretty sure that even true believers sometimes pick and choose which bits of dogma they are going to swallow. The Catholic Church still doesn’t approve of contraception, Catholics, on the other hand, are quite avid users.

then they aren’t true believers. you either agree with an infallible god or you don’t. I mean, are you judging god?

Yes, yes I am, I am quite judgemental.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:12:17
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989615
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

How many hours do Muslims prey for ?

That’s a lot of time that’s not recoverable.

Productivity and quality of life, gone.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:13:58
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989616
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


How many hours do Muslims prey for ?

That’s a lot of time that’s not recoverable.

Productivity and quality of life, gone.

They seem to prey a lot.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:17:58
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989617
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


How many hours do Muslims prey for ?

That’s a lot of time that’s not recoverable.

Productivity and quality of life, gone.

Every Muslim is obligated to pray five times a day – Fajr, Zuhr, Asr, Maghrib, and Isha. The prayer called Salah is prayed in the congregation every day at dawn, post noon, during the evening, at the evening, and at night.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:18:55
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989618
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

How many hours do Muslims prey for ?

That’s a lot of time that’s not recoverable.

Productivity and quality of life, gone.

Every Muslim is obligated to pray five times a day – Fajr, Zuhr, Asr, Maghrib, and Isha. The prayer called Salah is prayed in the congregation every day at dawn, post noon, during the evening, at the evening, and at night.

duration is 10-15 minutes which includes the ritual washing.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:19:55
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989619
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

How many hours do Muslims prey for ?

That’s a lot of time that’s not recoverable.

Productivity and quality of life, gone.

They seem to prey a lot.

When all the time is added up for each person over a year, its quite a significant number.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:22:19
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989620
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

How many hours do Muslims prey for ?

That’s a lot of time that’s not recoverable.

Productivity and quality of life, gone.

They seem to prey a lot.

When all the time is added up for each person over a year, its quite a significant number.

1.9 billion Muslims x number of hours over a year.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:26:17
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989621
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Peak Warming Man said:

They seem to prey a lot.

When all the time is added up for each person over a year, its quite a significant number.

1.9 billion Muslims x number of hours over a year.

why does this concern you?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:31:18
From: Woodie
ID: 1989622
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


JudgeMental said:

“George Pell go to hell, take Dutton there as well”.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/nsw/2023/02/02/protesters-rally-outside-cardinal-pell-funeral/

Link

You’d think with his not so clean legacy it would exclude any sort of big deal mourning.
All is forgiven if you are a Catholic

That is the way of the Lord our God. Repent and all your sins are forgiven, paving the way for a place in heaven and everlasting life.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:34:46
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1989623
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Bury Pell under a sewer pipe.

He always was a turd.

I mean he was a Conservative and a Catholic, just how evil can someone get.

Too conservative for most Catholics.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:38:16
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989624
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


David Attenborough Fans ·
In England you sometimes see these “wavy” brick fences. And curious as it may seem, this shape uses FEWER bricks than a straight wall. A straight wall needs at least two layers of bricks to make is sturdy, but the wavy wall is fine thanks to the arch support provided by the waves.

buffy might need a new mower.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:40:37
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1989625
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

David Attenborough Fans ·
In England you sometimes see these “wavy” brick fences. And curious as it may seem, this shape uses FEWER bricks than a straight wall. A straight wall needs at least two layers of bricks to make is sturdy, but the wavy wall is fine thanks to the arch support provided by the waves.

buffy might need a new mower.

I’ll need the Rev to confirm this I think.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:41:48
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989626
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

When all the time is added up for each person over a year, its quite a significant number.

1.9 billion Muslims x number of hours over a year.

why does this concern you?

I don’t loose any sleep over it.

Their time, not mine.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:42:29
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989627
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


PermeateFree said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

David Attenborough Fans ·
In England you sometimes see these “wavy” brick fences. And curious as it may seem, this shape uses FEWER bricks than a straight wall. A straight wall needs at least two layers of bricks to make is sturdy, but the wavy wall is fine thanks to the arch support provided by the waves.

buffy might need a new mower.

I’ll need the Rev to confirm this I think.

You can get mowers that will do that.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:43:16
From: Woodie
ID: 1989628
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

How many hours do Muslims prey for ?

That’s a lot of time that’s not recoverable.

Productivity and quality of life, gone.

They seem to prey a lot.

When all the time is added up for each person over a year, its quite a significant number.

Try that concept and philosophy for those that go to the pub.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:44:13
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989629
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Cymek said:

JudgeMental said:

“George Pell go to hell, take Dutton there as well”.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/nsw/2023/02/02/protesters-rally-outside-cardinal-pell-funeral/

Link

You’d think with his not so clean legacy it would exclude any sort of big deal mourning.
All is forgiven if you are a Catholic

That is the way of the Lord our God. Repent and all your sins are forgiven, paving the way for a place in heaven and everlasting life.

Amen.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:44:19
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989630
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Peak Warming Man said:

They seem to prey a lot.

When all the time is added up for each person over a year, its quite a significant number.

Try that concept and philosophy for those that go to the pub.

They generally talk about things that do exist.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:46:21
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989631
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Woodie said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

When all the time is added up for each person over a year, its quite a significant number.

Try that concept and philosophy for those that go to the pub.

They generally talk about things that do exist.

LOL, what difference does it make? plus most conversations would include a fair amount of dreaming and bullshit.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:47:21
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989632
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Woodie said:

Cymek said:

You’d think with his not so clean legacy it would exclude any sort of big deal mourning.
All is forgiven if you are a Catholic

That is the way of the Lord our God. Repent and all your sins are forgiven, paving the way for a place in heaven and everlasting life.

Amen.

Pell will remain in purgatory space for nearly infinite time.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:49:03
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989633
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Woodie said:

Try that concept and philosophy for those that go to the pub.

They generally talk about things that do exist.

LOL, what difference does it make? plus most conversations would include a fair amount of dreaming and bullshit.

No doubt a mixture of topics.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:49:14
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989634
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Woodie said:

That is the way of the Lord our God. Repent and all your sins are forgiven, paving the way for a place in heaven and everlasting life.

Amen.

Pell will remain in purgatory space for nearly infinite time.

so you believe in something that doesn’t exist?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:54:02
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989635
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Amen.

Pell will remain in purgatory space for nearly infinite time.

so you believe in something that doesn’t exist?

No.

However the ethics of God1 are different to Pells.

1 If God exists.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 15:59:25
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1989636
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


JudgeMental said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Pell will remain in purgatory space for nearly infinite time.

so you believe in something that doesn’t exist?

No.

However the ethics of God1 are different to Pells.

1 If God exists.

Is this the tripartite zombie Christian God or a sensible one like Allah?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:02:42
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989637
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

one for sibeen. question on the science fb page.

Howdy folks. I was looking at this chart on https://opennem.org.au/energy/sa1/?range=1y&interval=1w
and I was wondering. What does it mean when the chart goes below zero? That’s it, that’s my question. Thanks

https://opennem.org.au/energy/sa1/

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:03:23
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989638
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

JudgeMental said:

so you believe in something that doesn’t exist?

No.

However the ethics of God1 are different to Pells.

1 If God exists.

Is this the tripartite zombie Christian God or a sensible one like Allah?

Did Allah arrive in a spaceship or was that someone else?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:06:06
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1989639
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

No.

However the ethics of God1 are different to Pells.

1 If God exists.

Is this the tripartite zombie Christian God or a sensible one like Allah?

Did Allah arrive in a spaceship or was that someone else?

Not that I know of.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:07:58
From: sibeen
ID: 1989640
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


one for sibeen. question on the science fb page.

Howdy folks. I was looking at this chart on https://opennem.org.au/energy/sa1/?range=1y&interval=1w
and I was wondering. What does it mean when the chart goes below zero? That’s it, that’s my question. Thanks

https://opennem.org.au/energy/sa1/

Link

We are producing too much and need to pay for someone to take it off us. Basically happens when solar is producing out the wahzoo and wind is contributing a bit and gas is SFA.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:08:37
From: sibeen
ID: 1989641
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

Is this the tripartite zombie Christian God or a sensible one like Allah?

Did Allah arrive in a spaceship or was that someone else?

Not that I know of.

He did crack the moon into a few pieces, but it got better.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:10:07
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989642
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

No.

However the ethics of God1 are different to Pells.

1 If God exists.

Is this the tripartite zombie Christian God or a sensible one like Allah?

Did Allah arrive in a spaceship or was that someone else?

Mary becoming pregnant without sex was a the ego of a man controlling a woman.

I wonder how many times he wanted a condom?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:11:39
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989643
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

How did Allah appear?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:12:43
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989644
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


JudgeMental said:

one for sibeen. question on the science fb page.

Howdy folks. I was looking at this chart on https://opennem.org.au/energy/sa1/?range=1y&interval=1w
and I was wondering. What does it mean when the chart goes below zero? That’s it, that’s my question. Thanks

https://opennem.org.au/energy/sa1/

Link

We are producing too much and need to pay for someone to take it off us. Basically happens when solar is producing out the wahzoo and wind is contributing a bit and gas is SFA.

so exporting it to the grid to victoria etc?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:13:44
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989646
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Neutrinos Reveal New Way to Study Protons

Neutrinos are one of the most abundant particles in our universe, but they are notoriously difficult to detect and study: they don’t have an electrical charge and have nearly no mass. They are often referred to as “ghost particles” because they rarely interact with atoms.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:13:58
From: sibeen
ID: 1989647
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


sibeen said:

JudgeMental said:

one for sibeen. question on the science fb page.

Howdy folks. I was looking at this chart on https://opennem.org.au/energy/sa1/?range=1y&interval=1w
and I was wondering. What does it mean when the chart goes below zero? That’s it, that’s my question. Thanks

https://opennem.org.au/energy/sa1/

Link

We are producing too much and need to pay for someone to take it off us. Basically happens when solar is producing out the wahzoo and wind is contributing a bit and gas is SFA.

so exporting it to the grid to victoria etc?

Yes.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:15:18
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989648
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Rolls-Royce unveils early-stage design for space nuclear reactor

The company is working with the UK Space Agency for nuclear power and propulsion options in spaceflight.

more..

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:15:50
From: Michael V
ID: 1989649
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


one for sibeen. question on the science fb page.

Howdy folks. I was looking at this chart on https://opennem.org.au/energy/sa1/?range=1y&interval=1w
and I was wondering. What does it mean when the chart goes below zero? That’s it, that’s my question. Thanks

https://opennem.org.au/energy/sa1/

Link

That’s exported energy.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:16:46
From: Cymek
ID: 1989650
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


How did Allah appear?

Annoyed at what’s done in his name and for him

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:18:37
From: sibeen
ID: 1989651
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


JudgeMental said:

one for sibeen. question on the science fb page.

Howdy folks. I was looking at this chart on https://opennem.org.au/energy/sa1/?range=1y&interval=1w
and I was wondering. What does it mean when the chart goes below zero? That’s it, that’s my question. Thanks

https://opennem.org.au/energy/sa1/

Link

That’s exported energy.

Not really. Exported energy is exported energy. Sometimes it is sold at a negative price because the supplier needs to get rid of it. At other times it is sold at a very expensive positive price because the buyer urgently needs some.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:19:33
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989652
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


JudgeMental said:

one for sibeen. question on the science fb page.

Howdy folks. I was looking at this chart on https://opennem.org.au/energy/sa1/?range=1y&interval=1w
and I was wondering. What does it mean when the chart goes below zero? That’s it, that’s my question. Thanks

https://opennem.org.au/energy/sa1/

Link

That’s exported energy.

Thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:20:52
From: Cymek
ID: 1989653
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

JudgeMental said:

so you believe in something that doesn’t exist?

No.

However the ethics of God1 are different to Pells.

1 If God exists.

Is this the tripartite zombie Christian God or a sensible one like Allah?

I reckon we could go back in time to the days of all these religions formation and appear as god’s

Modern medicine healing the sick, even something as simple as antibiotics given to someone deadly ill could heal them quite quickly
Nothing about the miracles was particularly powerful or supernatural

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:23:41
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989654
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


How did Allah appear?

You are not allowed to show an image of him.
If you do at best you will lose your job as a university teacher, at worst you will lose your life.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:24:56
From: Michael V
ID: 1989655
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Michael V said:

JudgeMental said:

one for sibeen. question on the science fb page.

Howdy folks. I was looking at this chart on https://opennem.org.au/energy/sa1/?range=1y&interval=1w
and I was wondering. What does it mean when the chart goes below zero? That’s it, that’s my question. Thanks

https://opennem.org.au/energy/sa1/

Link

That’s exported energy.

Not really. Exported energy is exported energy. Sometimes it is sold at a negative price because the supplier needs to get rid of it. At other times it is sold at a very expensive positive price because the buyer urgently needs some.

Mouseover loads:exports in the legend; that’s what it shows. If the graph designer intended something else, that person should change it.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:25:06
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1989656
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Any y’all watching ‘The Last of Us’?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:26:02
From: Cymek
ID: 1989657
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Any y’all watching ‘The Last of Us’?

I plan to, have them ready to go just need the time

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:27:03
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989658
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

No.

However the ethics of God1 are different to Pells.

1 If God exists.

Is this the tripartite zombie Christian God or a sensible one like Allah?

I reckon we could go back in time to the days of all these religions formation and appear as god’s

Modern medicine healing the sick, even something as simple as antibiotics given to someone deadly ill could heal them quite quickly
Nothing about the miracles was particularly powerful or supernatural

I would just take back medicines.

Religion causes damage to peoples observation, consequences are lying, adultery, hypocrisy and for some, mental illness.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:27:32
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989659
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

How did Allah appear?

You are not allowed to show an image of him.
If you do at best you will lose your job as a university teacher, at worst you will lose your life.

So he didn’t appear at all.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:29:17
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989660
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

How did Allah appear?

You are not allowed to show an image of him.
If you do at best you will lose your job as a university teacher, at worst you will lose your life.

So he didn’t appear at all.

And if he didn’t appear at all, then they did they get to know him so well?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:30:16
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1989661
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

How did Allah appear?

You are not allowed to show an image of him.
If you do at best you will lose your job as a university teacher, at worst you will lose your life.

Some protestants don’t like graven images either.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:30:33
From: Michael V
ID: 1989662
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Any y’all watching ‘The Last of Us’?

Not I.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:33:05
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989663
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Any y’all watching ‘The Last of Us’?

Not I.

Nori

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:33:37
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989664
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Actually feeling a bit chilly here atm. Heading for 5 tonight.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:33:38
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989665
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Cymek said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

Is this the tripartite zombie Christian God or a sensible one like Allah?

I reckon we could go back in time to the days of all these religions formation and appear as god’s

Modern medicine healing the sick, even something as simple as antibiotics given to someone deadly ill could heal them quite quickly
Nothing about the miracles was particularly powerful or supernatural

I would just take back medicines.

Religion causes damage to peoples observation, consequences are lying, adultery, hypocrisy and for some, mental illness.

some great scientists believe.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:36:36
From: sibeen
ID: 1989666
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sibeen said:

Michael V said:

That’s exported energy.

Not really. Exported energy is exported energy. Sometimes it is sold at a negative price because the supplier needs to get rid of it. At other times it is sold at a very expensive positive price because the buyer urgently needs some.

Mouseover loads:exports in the legend; that’s what it shows. If the graph designer intended something else, that person should change it.

There’s other parts of the graph where it is exporting, and the price is well positive.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:38:56
From: Michael V
ID: 1989667
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Michael V said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

Any y’all watching ‘The Last of Us’?

Not I.

Nori

I think you are turning Japanese, I really think so.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:39:12
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989668
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Actually feeling a bit chilly here atm. Heading for 5 tonight.

7° here tonight.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:39:58
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989669
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Cymek said:

I reckon we could go back in time to the days of all these religions formation and appear as god’s

Modern medicine healing the sick, even something as simple as antibiotics given to someone deadly ill could heal them quite quickly
Nothing about the miracles was particularly powerful or supernatural

I would just take back medicines.

Religion causes damage to peoples observation, consequences are lying, adultery, hypocrisy and for some, mental illness.

some great scientists believe.

Some get through it ok, some don’t.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:40:24
From: Tamb
ID: 1989670
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A rellie sent this to me.
Any suggestions? I’m on a science FB page, and a lot of flat earthers have been coming out of the woodwork. What are your thoughts?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:40:29
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1989671
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Cymek said:

I reckon we could go back in time to the days of all these religions formation and appear as god’s

Modern medicine healing the sick, even something as simple as antibiotics given to someone deadly ill could heal them quite quickly
Nothing about the miracles was particularly powerful or supernatural

I would just take back medicines.

Religion causes damage to peoples observation, consequences are lying, adultery, hypocrisy and for some, mental illness.

some great scientists believe.

Some specialists in narrow fields are complete morons outside of it.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:40:36
From: sibeen
ID: 1989672
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Michael V said:

sibeen said:

Not really. Exported energy is exported energy. Sometimes it is sold at a negative price because the supplier needs to get rid of it. At other times it is sold at a very expensive positive price because the buyer urgently needs some.

Mouseover loads:exports in the legend; that’s what it shows. If the graph designer intended something else, that person should change it.

There’s other parts of the graph where it is exporting, and the price is well positive.

Ahh, and re-reading the question, it is a bit ambiguous. I was looking at the pricing graph.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:41:01
From: Tamb
ID: 1989673
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


JudgeMental said:

Michael V said:

Not I.

Nori

I think you are turning Japanese, I really think so.


Nyet.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:43:20
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989674
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


A rellie sent this to me.
Any suggestions? I’m on a science FB page, and a lot of flat earthers have been coming out of the woodwork. What are your thoughts?

what science page is it?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:43:26
From: Tamb
ID: 1989675
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Michael V said:

JudgeMental said:

Nori

I think you are turning Japanese, I really think so.


Nyet.

Or for sm: Ní mise

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:44:00
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989676
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“Justice Michael Lee on Wednesday found a series of ABC articles and broadcasts defamed Russell by conveying that he was “the subject of an active criminal investigation into his conduct as a commando in Afghanistan” and “reasonably suspected … of committing a crime or crimes when he was a commando in Afghanistan”.
The judgment found Russell was also defamed by imputations in the ABC reportage that he “had behaved so immorally when deployed in Afghanistan that American forces refused to work with him” and that “Russell, as the commander of November Platoon, habitually left ‘fire and bodies’ in his wake when deployed in Afghanistan.””

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/feb/01/abc-defamed-former-commando-heston-russell-in-afghanistan-articles-court-rules

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:44:01
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989677
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


JudgeMental said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

I would just take back medicines.

Religion causes damage to peoples observation, consequences are lying, adultery, hypocrisy and for some, mental illness.

some great scientists believe.

Some specialists in narrow fields are complete morons outside of it.

That’s hardly a religious thing though.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:44:48
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989678
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


JudgeMental said:

Michael V said:

Not I.

Nori

I think you are turning Japanese, I really think so.

lol

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:45:12
From: Cymek
ID: 1989679
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/lawyer-defends-cooments-on-dv-leave/101918600

Irony impaired or what
Criminal lawyers defend DV offenders all the time, finding ways to minimise sentences
They’d have access to all the information as well so know exactly what happened to the victims

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:47:13
From: Tamb
ID: 1989680
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Tamb said:

A rellie sent this to me.
Any suggestions? I’m on a science FB page, and a lot of flat earthers have been coming out of the woodwork. What are your thoughts?

what science page is it?


No idea. She PMd the question to me.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:47:24
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989681
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


sibeen said:

Michael V said:

Mouseover loads:exports in the legend; that’s what it shows. If the graph designer intended something else, that person should change it.

There’s other parts of the graph where it is exporting, and the price is well positive.

Ahh, and re-reading the question, it is a bit ambiguous. I was looking at the pricing graph.

extra question

thank you very much for the answer
So do you know why it goes slightly below zero on the chart that represents Australia as a whole?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:47:33
From: Michael V
ID: 1989682
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Michael V said:

sibeen said:

Not really. Exported energy is exported energy. Sometimes it is sold at a negative price because the supplier needs to get rid of it. At other times it is sold at a very expensive positive price because the buyer urgently needs some.

Mouseover loads:exports in the legend; that’s what it shows. If the graph designer intended something else, that person should change it.

There’s other parts of the graph where it is exporting, and the price is well positive.

For example?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:47:35
From: Cymek
ID: 1989683
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Tamb said:

A rellie sent this to me.
Any suggestions? I’m on a science FB page, and a lot of flat earthers have been coming out of the woodwork. What are your thoughts?

what science page is it?

Could physics be reworked to allow a flat Earth and all the various other things that occur in the sky, under the ground and so on or would you need massive amounts of gravity manipulation machinery

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:48:29
From: Michael V
ID: 1989684
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


A rellie sent this to me.
Any suggestions? I’m on a science FB page, and a lot of flat earthers have been coming out of the woodwork. What are your thoughts?

Concerted attack?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:50:42
From: Michael V
ID: 1989685
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


sibeen said:

Michael V said:

Mouseover loads:exports in the legend; that’s what it shows. If the graph designer intended something else, that person should change it.

There’s other parts of the graph where it is exporting, and the price is well positive.

Ahh, and re-reading the question, it is a bit ambiguous. I was looking at the pricing graph.

Fair enough. I was looking only at the generation graph.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:54:50
From: sibeen
ID: 1989686
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


sibeen said:

sibeen said:

There’s other parts of the graph where it is exporting, and the price is well positive.

Ahh, and re-reading the question, it is a bit ambiguous. I was looking at the pricing graph.

extra question

thank you very much for the answer
So do you know why it goes slightly below zero on the chart that represents Australia as a whole?

It’s not really going negative, the graph is overall positive, but at those points some excess energy is going into pumps, so probably some form of storage mechanism like pumped storage.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:55:40
From: Michael V
ID: 1989687
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


JudgeMental said:

sibeen said:

Ahh, and re-reading the question, it is a bit ambiguous. I was looking at the pricing graph.

extra question

thank you very much for the answer
So do you know why it goes slightly below zero on the chart that represents Australia as a whole?

It’s not really going negative, the graph is overall positive, but at those points some excess energy is going into pumps, so probably some form of storage mechanism like pumped storage.

That’s how I read it, too.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:55:51
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1989688
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

JudgeMental said:

some great scientists believe.

Some specialists in narrow fields are complete morons outside of it.

That’s hardly a religious thing though.

It refutes your claim that religious scientists are seemingly evidence of the merits of religious belief.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 16:59:27
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989691
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


A rellie sent this to me.
Any suggestions? I’m on a science FB page, and a lot of flat earthers have been coming out of the woodwork. What are your thoughts?

As we become more informed and new research is done and appears on the internet and Newton’s inability to explain why an apple doesn’t roll off a table we ar seeing more and more flat earthers.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:00:45
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989693
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


JudgeMental said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

Some specialists in narrow fields are complete morons outside of it.

That’s hardly a religious thing though.

It refutes your claim that religious scientists are seemingly evidence of the merits of religious belief.

I said nothing about the merits of religious belief just that some great scientists were/are religious.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:02:09
From: Cymek
ID: 1989694
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


JudgeMental said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

Some specialists in narrow fields are complete morons outside of it.

That’s hardly a religious thing though.

It refutes your claim that religious scientists are seemingly evidence of the merits of religious belief.

You could have a god that’s scientifically based a type II or higher on the Kardashev scale capable or manipulate on a stellar and/or atomic scale

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:04:16
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989695
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

And also tell them that excess electricity cannot just be earthed because this will cause a build of earth’s total charge, delta Tc, particularly around the edges.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:06:43
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989697
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The poster thanks sibeen. I’m just the messenger.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:09:47
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989699
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tamb said:

A rellie sent this to me.
Any suggestions? I’m on a science FB page, and a lot of flat earthers have been coming out of the woodwork. What are your thoughts?

As we become more informed and new research is done and appears on the internet and Newton’s inability to explain why an apple doesn’t roll off a table we ar seeing more and more flat earthers.

I wonder how many people observed their wee falling towards the ground and wondered why it was falling to the ground and not going the other way, upwards?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:11:46
From: Michael V
ID: 1989701
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bloody!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/toowoomba-woman-charged-after-leaving-child-in-locked-car/101921958

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/child-dies-after-left-in-hot-car-at-glenfield-south-west-sydney/101923824

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:12:30
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989702
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tamb said:

A rellie sent this to me.
Any suggestions? I’m on a science FB page, and a lot of flat earthers have been coming out of the woodwork. What are your thoughts?

As we become more informed and new research is done and appears on the internet and Newton’s inability to explain why an apple doesn’t roll off a table we ar seeing more and more flat earthers.

I wonder how many people observed their wee falling towards the ground and wondered why it was falling to the ground and not going the other way, upwards?

They took it for granted they they could jump and and down, therefore subconsciously the same for wee?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:14:31
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1989704
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

JudgeMental said:

That’s hardly a religious thing though.

It refutes your claim that religious scientists are seemingly evidence of the merits of religious belief.

You could have a god that’s scientifically based a type II or higher on the Kardashev scale capable or manipulate on a stellar and/or atomic scale

With Tom Cruise as their prophet.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:20:40
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989710
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Peak Warming Man said:

As we become more informed and new research is done and appears on the internet and Newton’s inability to explain why an apple doesn’t roll off a table we ar seeing more and more flat earthers.

I wonder how many people observed their wee falling towards the ground and wondered why it was falling to the ground and not going the other way, upwards?

They took it for granted they they could jump and and down, therefore subconsciously the same for wee?

Feynman did a famous experiment where he showed that it is muscle squeezing your bladder and not gravity that allows you to pee. he opened a window, did a handstand on the sill, and pissed.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:23:49
From: buffy
ID: 1989715
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


JudgeMental said:

sibeen said:

I’m pretty sure that even true believers sometimes pick and choose which bits of dogma they are going to swallow. The Catholic Church still doesn’t approve of contraception, Catholics, on the other hand, are quite avid users.

then they aren’t true believers. you either agree with an infallible god or you don’t. I mean, are you judging god?

Yes, yes I am, I am quite judgemental.

That’s not judging God. That is just using the brains he gave you. Did he expect you not to use them?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:25:05
From: buffy
ID: 1989716
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

David Attenborough Fans ·
In England you sometimes see these “wavy” brick fences. And curious as it may seem, this shape uses FEWER bricks than a straight wall. A straight wall needs at least two layers of bricks to make is sturdy, but the wavy wall is fine thanks to the arch support provided by the waves.

buffy might need a new mower.

The curves are a bit tight there.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:27:52
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989718
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bloody!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/toowoomba-woman-charged-after-leaving-child-in-locked-car/101921958

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/child-dies-after-left-in-hot-car-at-glenfield-south-west-sydney/101923824

shakes head

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:28:53
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989719
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


PermeateFree said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

David Attenborough Fans ·
In England you sometimes see these “wavy” brick fences. And curious as it may seem, this shape uses FEWER bricks than a straight wall. A straight wall needs at least two layers of bricks to make is sturdy, but the wavy wall is fine thanks to the arch support provided by the waves.

buffy might need a new mower.

The curves are a bit tight there.

probably foreshortened a bit.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:34:54
From: sibeen
ID: 1989721
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


The poster thanks sibeen. I’m just the messenger.

It’s a thankless task.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:35:09
From: buffy
ID: 1989722
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Actually feeling a bit chilly here atm. Heading for 5 tonight.

I’ve got a jumper on. Mr buffy turned on the heater. I suggested a jumper. It’s not warm though, and we’ve had rain and wind this afternoon.

Food report: Mr buffy is cooking a roasted bit of lamb. And steaming cauli, broccoli and carrots. I have put some bits of King Edward potatoes in the oven and I’ve prepared a roux to make gravy. There is very little fat coming out of the roast.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:37:04
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989724
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


JudgeMental said:

The poster thanks sibeen. I’m just the messenger.

It’s a thankless task.

I’ll still do it though. I help. I’m a helper.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:40:20
From: Cymek
ID: 1989727
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


sibeen said:

JudgeMental said:

The poster thanks sibeen. I’m just the messenger.

It’s a thankless task.

I’ll still do it though. I help. I’m a helper.

Toddler type help ?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:44:15
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989728
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


JudgeMental said:

sibeen said:

It’s a thankless task.

I’ll still do it though. I help. I’m a helper.

Toddler type help ?

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, ‘tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish’d. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there’s the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there’s the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;

etc.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:50:24
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989729
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Bubblecar said:

Actually feeling a bit chilly here atm. Heading for 5 tonight.

I’ve got a jumper on. Mr buffy turned on the heater. I suggested a jumper. It’s not warm though, and we’ve had rain and wind this afternoon.

Food report: Mr buffy is cooking a roasted bit of lamb. And steaming cauli, broccoli and carrots. I have put some bits of King Edward potatoes in the oven and I’ve prepared a roux to make gravy. There is very little fat coming out of the roast.

Brisbane is in the grip of a severe heatwave at the moment, apparently.
It’s not exceptionally hot, 28 degrees, but the new definition of heatwave/ severe heatwave/ catastrophic heatwave has something to do with the night temperature.
So we are having a severe heatwave and probably been having them every year for thousands of tears.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:52:10
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989730
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Is dv rotten with covid again?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:54:03
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989731
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Shakes fist at extended winter.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:56:04
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989732
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Cymek said:

JudgeMental said:

I’ll still do it though. I help. I’m a helper.

Toddler type help ?

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, ‘tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish’d. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there’s the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there’s the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;

etc.

That’s very good Boris.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:56:10
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1989733
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Is dv rotten with covid again?

Work-related absence I think.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 17:56:43
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1989734
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


JudgeMental said:

Cymek said:

Toddler type help ?

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, ‘tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish’d. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there’s the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there’s the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;

etc.

That’s very good Boris.

He got a bot to do that.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:12:26
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989735
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“Fishermen clinging to esky rescued off Albany in southern Western Australia after boat capsizes”

At $12 a schooner no wonder he had a death grip on it.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:17:07
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989736
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

To be, or not to be: that is the question:(existence)
Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to suffer (punish the plebs)
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,(get rich)
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,(employ thugs)
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;(throw them out the window)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:18:12
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989737
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


“Fishermen clinging to esky rescued off Albany in southern Western Australia after boat capsizes”

At $12 a schooner no wonder he had a death grip on it.

That got a ride back too.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:20:26
From: Cymek
ID: 1989739
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Peak Warming Man said:

“Fishermen clinging to esky rescued off Albany in southern Western Australia after boat capsizes”

At $12 a schooner no wonder he had a death grip on it.

That got a ride back too.

3 of them wasn’t there

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:21:16
From: Cymek
ID: 1989740
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


“Fishermen clinging to esky rescued off Albany in southern Western Australia after boat capsizes”

At $12 a schooner no wonder he had a death grip on it.

Soon people will rescue beer from the fridge instead of other people when a disaster is occurring

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:22:39
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1989741
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Peak Warming Man said:

“Fishermen clinging to esky rescued off Albany in southern Western Australia after boat capsizes”

At $12 a schooner no wonder he had a death grip on it.

That got a ride back too.

3 of them wasn’t there

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:29:48
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1989742
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Excuse me whilst I power vomit, then do it again a dozen times.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:33:34
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989745
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


To be, or not to be: that is the question:(existence)
Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to suffer (punish the plebs)
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,(get rich)
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,(employ thugs)
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;(throw them out the window)

LOL. No.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:34:17
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989746
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Excuse me whilst I power vomit, then do it again a dozen times.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:34:40
From: ms spock
ID: 1989747
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Peak Warming Man said:

“Fishermen clinging to esky rescued off Albany in southern Western Australia after boat capsizes”

At $12 a schooner no wonder he had a death grip on it.

Soon people will rescue beer from the fridge instead of other people when a disaster is occurring

Tá mé ag gáire ach is dócha go dtarlóidh sé i ndáiríre!

I am laughing but it is probably actually going to happen!

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:36:15
From: ms spock
ID: 1989748
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Excuse me whilst I power vomit, then do it again a dozen times.

I heard they are going to make a documentary about the lives of some of his survivors, of him. I hope they will do it.

Abbott removed $300 million dollars from Domestic Violence as well. He’s a right eejit.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:40:31
From: ms spock
ID: 1989749
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Spiny Norman said:

Excuse me whilst I power vomit, then do it again a dozen times.


Pell wasn’t just an enabler, he was a child rapist. Like so much so that the parents would discuss not letting their sons be his altar boys. Heard it myself at the kitchen table.

Ratzinger was a much bigger enabler of child sexual abuse than Pell. He was in the Office of the Holy See – not sure what it’s called. He moved and replaced and removed and replaced child rapist priests for 40 years. Someone wrote about him. Don’t read it. It’s too depressing.

Pell takes the Gold medal in Australia absolutely. He wrote a different response to for his area than to the rest of Australia. And he got away with it. Bullying victims into signing NDAs. What he did was absolutely putrid.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:45:29
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989752
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


JudgeMental said:

Spiny Norman said:

Excuse me whilst I power vomit, then do it again a dozen times.


Pell wasn’t just an enabler, he was a child rapist. Like so much so that the parents would discuss not letting their sons be his altar boys. Heard it myself at the kitchen table.

Ratzinger was a much bigger enabler of child sexual abuse than Pell. He was in the Office of the Holy See – not sure what it’s called. He moved and replaced and removed and replaced child rapist priests for 40 years. Someone wrote about him. Don’t read it. It’s too depressing.

Pell takes the Gold medal in Australia absolutely. He wrote a different response to for his area than to the rest of Australia. And he got away with it. Bullying victims into signing NDAs. What he did was absolutely putrid.

Could you please supply the evidence he was a child rapist?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:48:02
From: ms spock
ID: 1989757
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


ms spock said:

JudgeMental said:


Pell wasn’t just an enabler, he was a child rapist. Like so much so that the parents would discuss not letting their sons be his altar boys. Heard it myself at the kitchen table.

Ratzinger was a much bigger enabler of child sexual abuse than Pell. He was in the Office of the Holy See – not sure what it’s called. He moved and replaced and removed and replaced child rapist priests for 40 years. Someone wrote about him. Don’t read it. It’s too depressing.

Pell takes the Gold medal in Australia absolutely. He wrote a different response to for his area than to the rest of Australia. And he got away with it. Bullying victims into signing NDAs. What he did was absolutely putrid.

Could you please supply the evidence he was a child rapist?

Do you want to speak to someone who was sexually abused by him?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:50:09
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989758
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Peak Warming Man said:

ms spock said:

Pell wasn’t just an enabler, he was a child rapist. Like so much so that the parents would discuss not letting their sons be his altar boys. Heard it myself at the kitchen table.

Ratzinger was a much bigger enabler of child sexual abuse than Pell. He was in the Office of the Holy See – not sure what it’s called. He moved and replaced and removed and replaced child rapist priests for 40 years. Someone wrote about him. Don’t read it. It’s too depressing.

Pell takes the Gold medal in Australia absolutely. He wrote a different response to for his area than to the rest of Australia. And he got away with it. Bullying victims into signing NDAs. What he did was absolutely putrid.

Could you please supply the evidence he was a child rapist?

Do you want to speak to someone who was sexually abused by him?

That should be done in a court of law.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:50:26
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1989759
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Peak Warming Man said:

ms spock said:

Pell wasn’t just an enabler, he was a child rapist. Like so much so that the parents would discuss not letting their sons be his altar boys. Heard it myself at the kitchen table.

Ratzinger was a much bigger enabler of child sexual abuse than Pell. He was in the Office of the Holy See – not sure what it’s called. He moved and replaced and removed and replaced child rapist priests for 40 years. Someone wrote about him. Don’t read it. It’s too depressing.

Pell takes the Gold medal in Australia absolutely. He wrote a different response to for his area than to the rest of Australia. And he got away with it. Bullying victims into signing NDAs. What he did was absolutely putrid.

Could you please supply the evidence he was a child rapist?

Do you want to speak to someone who was sexually abused by him?

Don’t feed the troll.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:52:02
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989760
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


ms spock said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Could you please supply the evidence he was a child rapist?

Do you want to speak to someone who was sexually abused by him?

Don’t feed the troll.

Get fucked, you can’t make allegations on a public forum without backing it up.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:52:03
From: Michael V
ID: 1989761
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Spiny Norman said:

Excuse me whilst I power vomit, then do it again a dozen times.


:)

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:52:33
From: buffy
ID: 1989762
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Whoops.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/giant-inflatable-dome-collapses-at-port-adelaide/101923466

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:54:08
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1989763
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Spiny Norman said:

ms spock said:

Do you want to speak to someone who was sexually abused by him?

Don’t feed the troll.

Get fucked, you can’t make allegations on a public forum without backing it up.

Back under your delusional bridge.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:54:54
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989764
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Peak Warming Man said:

ms spock said:

Pell wasn’t just an enabler, he was a child rapist. Like so much so that the parents would discuss not letting their sons be his altar boys. Heard it myself at the kitchen table.

Ratzinger was a much bigger enabler of child sexual abuse than Pell. He was in the Office of the Holy See – not sure what it’s called. He moved and replaced and removed and replaced child rapist priests for 40 years. Someone wrote about him. Don’t read it. It’s too depressing.

Pell takes the Gold medal in Australia absolutely. He wrote a different response to for his area than to the rest of Australia. And he got away with it. Bullying victims into signing NDAs. What he did was absolutely putrid.

Could you please supply the evidence he was a child rapist?

Do you want to speak to someone who was sexually abused by him?

When someone is accused of sexual misconduct, usually others also abused suddenly appear wanting to ensure their conviction. However with Pell, nobody came forward, except since his death and cannot defend himself, then they creep out of the woodwork. Why would that be?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:55:57
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1989766
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Crash of Mi-8 helicopter on October 2, 1986. The tragedy was caused by pilot mistake who approached too close to the crane and rotor blades hit the cable while dropping sand to cover openings of the Chernobyl reactor #4. No survivors.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:57:48
From: Michael V
ID: 1989767
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Crash of Mi-8 helicopter on October 2, 1986. The tragedy was caused by pilot mistake who approached too close to the crane and rotor blades hit the cable while dropping sand to cover openings of the Chernobyl reactor #4. No survivors.

:(


No autorotating your way out of that.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 18:58:01
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989768
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


ms spock said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Could you please supply the evidence he was a child rapist?

Do you want to speak to someone who was sexually abused by him?

When someone is accused of sexual misconduct, usually others also abused suddenly appear wanting to ensure their conviction. However with Pell, nobody came forward, except since his death and cannot defend himself, then they creep out of the woodwork. Why would that be?

because the feel empowered by one coming out?
because the feel safe?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:00:14
From: buffy
ID: 1989769
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

There is a sunshower going on outside the kitchen window and the sunblind is still down. So it’s got a row of diamonds across the bottom. Didn’t photograph very well.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:01:03
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1989770
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Spiny Norman said:

Crash of Mi-8 helicopter on October 2, 1986. The tragedy was caused by pilot mistake who approached too close to the crane and rotor blades hit the cable while dropping sand to cover openings of the Chernobyl reactor #4. No survivors.

:(


No autorotating your way out of that.

They would never have been able to recover the bodies either I imagine. And probably nothing left of them after a few days anyway.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:03:37
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1989772
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Spiny Norman said:

ms spock said:

Do you want to speak to someone who was sexually abused by him?

Don’t feed the troll.

Get fucked, you can’t make allegations on a public forum without backing it up.

At best he ignored the evidence others were offending. It’s on the public record that he was an immoral, entitled cunt.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jan/12/george-pell-what-the-five-year-royal-commission-into-child-sexual-abuse-found

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:08:52
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989773
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


PermeateFree said:

ms spock said:

Do you want to speak to someone who was sexually abused by him?

When someone is accused of sexual misconduct, usually others also abused suddenly appear wanting to ensure their conviction. However with Pell, nobody came forward, except since his death and cannot defend himself, then they creep out of the woodwork. Why would that be?

because the feel empowered by one coming out?
because the feel safe?

But they didn’t come out when they could have played a large part in nailing Pell and so then had felt really empowered.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:11:14
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989774
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


JudgeMental said:

PermeateFree said:

When someone is accused of sexual misconduct, usually others also abused suddenly appear wanting to ensure their conviction. However with Pell, nobody came forward, except since his death and cannot defend himself, then they creep out of the woodwork. Why would that be?

because the feel empowered by one coming out?
because the feel safe?

But they didn’t come out when they could have played a large part in nailing Pell and so then had felt really empowered.

because as you said no one came out.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:13:14
From: ms spock
ID: 1989776
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


ms spock said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Could you please supply the evidence he was a child rapist?

Do you want to speak to someone who was sexually abused by him?

That should be done in a court of law.

Why? Why would anyone bother trying to get justice for someone like Pell?

I was sexually abused by my father from ages 2-15 and he raped, attacked and stalked me again in my late teens, early twenties, and then stalked and attacked me in my late twenties and early thirties and moved 8-10 blocks away from me in my late 30s and early 40s, and starting stalking me again.

You can ring the police, they might come but then again they might not. So very, very, very few get justice in the court system. It is not worth it.

If I had known my father would get to stalk and harass me for most the rest of my life. I would have stayed home when my father was threatening to kill us all, and he would have killed us all, and it would be over. The pain would be finished. I ran away and saved everyone’s lives but I still lost everything – my family, school, food to eat, connection, education, my pet cat, my books, my extended family, my friendships, my health, a place to sleep. It wasn’t worth it. Not worth living with the long term effects of what I have to struggle with each day, the ongoing nightmares, the panic attacks, the chronic feelings of shame and feeling not being good enough.

And it definitely wouldn’t be worth it to go to the police and through the court system. I saw what it did to people and the rates of self harm afterwards. It can quite easily destroy a person.

And you definitely don’t go to a court definitely not for a man like Pell, the threats and intimidation that his victims received. They were terrifying. Some of them started to feel suicidal. Yes suicide is easier than dealing with court and the blowback from Pell’s minions. Their families threatening to cut them off if they testified? Because they didn’t want the shame of someone in their family testifying in court against Pell? Some folks are still tremendously brain washed that the church is always right.

And when you have the effects of the sexual abuse. When you have been raped and abused. And beaten and emotionally abused until you stop crying. Well it effects you, you see. You get depression, anxiety, PTSD, derealisation and the very effects of the child rape makes you not a credible witness in a court of law.

That’s where the game is totally rigged in favour of child rapist’s such as Pell.

The effects of the abuse mean your word means very little in a court of law. So there’s no point. And as a lesser person with a “mental health issues” read PTSD from being raped as a child, those abusers get a lesser sentence and people like Abbott and Howard write Pell’s character references. The pressure to be silent and withdraw any statements is HUMUNGUS. What they went through was horrendous. And for Pell there were many more than finally ended up in court. The others dropped by the way side.

Go to court and watch a couple of child sexual assault cases and watch how the person is treated and then you will know why justice doesn’t happen in a court of law.

Even in Canberra this week at a Catholic School a young man did disclose and the parents wouldn’t let him come home unless he withdrew his comments about the priest. The young person was very brave and so another place for them to live had to be found.

There’s no point going to the police or a court. Even if the police believe you, if they are wealthy or well connected they will get a wrist slap.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:16:26
From: ms spock
ID: 1989777
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


ms spock said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Could you please supply the evidence he was a child rapist?

Do you want to speak to someone who was sexually abused by him?

When someone is accused of sexual misconduct, usually others also abused suddenly appear wanting to ensure their conviction. However with Pell, nobody came forward, except since his death and cannot defend himself, then they creep out of the woodwork. Why would that be?

That’s not true many came forward, but coming forward isn’t the same as having the emotional, physical, mental, and financial capacity to go through the court systems.

It takes a lot of resources to manage to go through the court system.

See Brittany Higgins, she has access to some of the best trauma informed therapy and mental health resources available in Australia and she couldn’t go through another trial.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:16:41
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1989778
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I also thought Pell did the right thing by running away from Australia because he was innocent.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:19:13
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989779
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Spiny Norman said:

Don’t feed the troll.

Get fucked, you can’t make allegations on a public forum without backing it up.

At best he ignored the evidence others were offending. It’s on the public record that he was an immoral, entitled cunt.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jan/12/george-pell-what-the-five-year-royal-commission-into-child-sexual-abuse-found

I don’t doubt that Pell acted like a swine by denying sexual abuse and via various means further reducing the seriousness to the victims abused by clergy. But for him also to be a pedophile and the accusation made against him, would indicate a long-term activity of abuse and hence more abused people coming forward.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:21:00
From: ms spock
ID: 1989781
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Spiny Norman said:

Don’t feed the troll.

Get fucked, you can’t make allegations on a public forum without backing it up.

At best he ignored the evidence others were offending. It’s on the public record that he was an immoral, entitled cunt.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jan/12/george-pell-what-the-five-year-royal-commission-into-child-sexual-abuse-found

Pell’s lawyer argued it was nothing but plain vanilla sex.

Richter tried to argue there were “no aggravating circumstances” to one of the offences. It was “no more than a plain vanilla sexual penetration case where the child is not actively participating,” he told the court.

Richter also tried to suggest that an incident in which Pell grabbed one of the boys by the genitals in an attack that lasted seconds was “fleeting” and not worthy of a jail sentence. Kidd disagreed.

“That wasn’t just a trifling sexual assault,” he said.

“Nothing is to be gained here by comparing different forms of sexual abuse of children. Of course I need to make a judgement of the overall gravity of this. But there is a limit to these kinds of comparisons.”

Abuse survivors and advocates present in the court gasped as Richter made his arguments for a lower-end sentence. He said at one point that if Pell’s victims were “truly distressed” after being abused, they would have returned to their homes exhibiting that distress.

Prosecutors described Pell as having “a degree of callous indifference” as he “humiliated, degraded” and sexually abused the boys. This offending, prosecutors said, should attract a significant sentence.

“These acts … were in our submission humiliating and degrading towards each boy and gave rise to distress in each boy as referred to in the evidence gave. recalled voicing objection.”

He said Pell’s offending implied “a degree of callous indifference in relation to those objections”.

“His state of mind suggests he had some degree of confidence as to the unlikelihood that these two boys would complain,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/27/cardinal-pell-will-go-straight-to-jail-as-bail-application-is-withdrawn

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:22:32
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989782
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Even in Canberra this week at a Catholic School a young man did disclose and the parents wouldn’t let him come home unless he withdrew his comments about the priest. The young person was very brave and so another place for them to live had to be found.

—-

I also know a fellow who reported it to his parents and they chose to believe the priest.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:22:35
From: ms spock
ID: 1989783
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


JudgeMental said:

PermeateFree said:

When someone is accused of sexual misconduct, usually others also abused suddenly appear wanting to ensure their conviction. However with Pell, nobody came forward, except since his death and cannot defend himself, then they creep out of the woodwork. Why would that be?

because the feel empowered by one coming out?
because the feel safe?

But they didn’t come out when they could have played a large part in nailing Pell and so then had felt really empowered.

You have to have a lot of support, a lot of therapy, a lot of access to resources, a lot of access to emotional support, you have to have access to money, you have to have access to safe places to stay whilst going through a court case as high profile’s as Pell.

You think having these things said about you in court would make you feel empowered?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/27/cardinal-pell-will-go-straight-to-jail-as-bail-application-is-withdrawn

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:24:39
From: btm
ID: 1989784
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


When someone is accused of sexual misconduct, usually others also abused suddenly appear wanting to ensure their conviction. However with Pell, nobody came forward, except since his death and cannot defend himself, then they creep out of the woodwork. Why would that be?

Could it be because you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about? As I’ve noted before, I know several people who were abused by Pell, including at least one of my cousins. There were cases pending after his conviction; the prosecutor said there wasn’t enough evidence to try the cases individually but together they painted a consistent picture of abuse. The judge decided that all the cases were to be tried individually, so they were dropped.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:25:09
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989785
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Peak Warming Man said:

ms spock said:

Do you want to speak to someone who was sexually abused by him?

That should be done in a court of law.

Why? Why would anyone bother trying to get justice for someone like Pell?

I was sexually abused by my father from ages 2-15 and he raped, attacked and stalked me again in my late teens, early twenties, and then stalked and attacked me in my late twenties and early thirties and moved 8-10 blocks away from me in my late 30s and early 40s, and starting stalking me again.

You can ring the police, they might come but then again they might not. So very, very, very few get justice in the court system. It is not worth it.

If I had known my father would get to stalk and harass me for most the rest of my life. I would have stayed home when my father was threatening to kill us all, and he would have killed us all, and it would be over. The pain would be finished. I ran away and saved everyone’s lives but I still lost everything – my family, school, food to eat, connection, education, my pet cat, my books, my extended family, my friendships, my health, a place to sleep. It wasn’t worth it. Not worth living with the long term effects of what I have to struggle with each day, the ongoing nightmares, the panic attacks, the chronic feelings of shame and feeling not being good enough.

And it definitely wouldn’t be worth it to go to the police and through the court system. I saw what it did to people and the rates of self harm afterwards. It can quite easily destroy a person.

And you definitely don’t go to a court definitely not for a man like Pell, the threats and intimidation that his victims received. They were terrifying. Some of them started to feel suicidal. Yes suicide is easier than dealing with court and the blowback from Pell’s minions. Their families threatening to cut them off if they testified? Because they didn’t want the shame of someone in their family testifying in court against Pell? Some folks are still tremendously brain washed that the church is always right.

And when you have the effects of the sexual abuse. When you have been raped and abused. And beaten and emotionally abused until you stop crying. Well it effects you, you see. You get depression, anxiety, PTSD, derealisation and the very effects of the child rape makes you not a credible witness in a court of law.

That’s where the game is totally rigged in favour of child rapist’s such as Pell.

The effects of the abuse mean your word means very little in a court of law. So there’s no point. And as a lesser person with a “mental health issues” read PTSD from being raped as a child, those abusers get a lesser sentence and people like Abbott and Howard write Pell’s character references. The pressure to be silent and withdraw any statements is HUMUNGUS. What they went through was horrendous. And for Pell there were many more than finally ended up in court. The others dropped by the way side.

Go to court and watch a couple of child sexual assault cases and watch how the person is treated and then you will know why justice doesn’t happen in a court of law.

Even in Canberra this week at a Catholic School a young man did disclose and the parents wouldn’t let him come home unless he withdrew his comments about the priest. The young person was very brave and so another place for them to live had to be found.

There’s no point going to the police or a court. Even if the police believe you, if they are wealthy or well connected they will get a wrist slap.

The circumstances you describe are not relatable to the Pell case. There you did have a so-called victim coming forward that it would have made his accusations seem more truthful if others also came forward, but they didn’t and in your mind let him get away with it.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:25:20
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989786
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Get fucked, you can’t make allegations on a public forum without backing it up.

At best he ignored the evidence others were offending. It’s on the public record that he was an immoral, entitled cunt.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jan/12/george-pell-what-the-five-year-royal-commission-into-child-sexual-abuse-found

Pell’s lawyer argued it was nothing but plain vanilla sex.

Richter tried to argue there were “no aggravating circumstances” to one of the offences. It was “no more than a plain vanilla sexual penetration case where the child is not actively participating,” he told the court.

Richter also tried to suggest that an incident in which Pell grabbed one of the boys by the genitals in an attack that lasted seconds was “fleeting” and not worthy of a jail sentence. Kidd disagreed.

“That wasn’t just a trifling sexual assault,” he said.

“Nothing is to be gained here by comparing different forms of sexual abuse of children. Of course I need to make a judgement of the overall gravity of this. But there is a limit to these kinds of comparisons.”

Abuse survivors and advocates present in the court gasped as Richter made his arguments for a lower-end sentence. He said at one point that if Pell’s victims were “truly distressed” after being abused, they would have returned to their homes exhibiting that distress.

Prosecutors described Pell as having “a degree of callous indifference” as he “humiliated, degraded” and sexually abused the boys. This offending, prosecutors said, should attract a significant sentence.

“These acts … were in our submission humiliating and degrading towards each boy and gave rise to distress in each boy as referred to in the evidence gave. recalled voicing objection.”

He said Pell’s offending implied “a degree of callous indifference in relation to those objections”.

“His state of mind suggests he had some degree of confidence as to the unlikelihood that these two boys would complain,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/27/cardinal-pell-will-go-straight-to-jail-as-bail-application-is-withdrawn

He had that overturned 7-0 by the high court, you are just repeating false accusations.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:25:52
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1989787
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Spiny Norman said:

ms spock said:

Do you want to speak to someone who was sexually abused by him?

Don’t feed the troll.

Get fucked, you can’t make allegations on a public forum without backing it up.

Damn this freedom of speech thing really works¡

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:28:33
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989789
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


PermeateFree said:

ms spock said:

Do you want to speak to someone who was sexually abused by him?

When someone is accused of sexual misconduct, usually others also abused suddenly appear wanting to ensure their conviction. However with Pell, nobody came forward, except since his death and cannot defend himself, then they creep out of the woodwork. Why would that be?

That’s not true many came forward, but coming forward isn’t the same as having the emotional, physical, mental, and financial capacity to go through the court systems.

It takes a lot of resources to manage to go through the court system.

See Brittany Higgins, she has access to some of the best trauma informed therapy and mental health resources available in Australia and she couldn’t go through another trial.

Where are these people who came forward saying Pell raped them? Plenty came forward to say he was protecting pedophile priests and that he was more interested in protecting them than the victims, but I do not recall any saying that he attacked them too.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:31:00
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989791
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


ms spock said:

PermeateFree said:

When someone is accused of sexual misconduct, usually others also abused suddenly appear wanting to ensure their conviction. However with Pell, nobody came forward, except since his death and cannot defend himself, then they creep out of the woodwork. Why would that be?

That’s not true many came forward, but coming forward isn’t the same as having the emotional, physical, mental, and financial capacity to go through the court systems.

It takes a lot of resources to manage to go through the court system.

See Brittany Higgins, she has access to some of the best trauma informed therapy and mental health resources available in Australia and she couldn’t go through another trial.

Where are these people who came forward saying Pell raped them? Plenty came forward to say he was protecting pedophile priests and that he was more interested in protecting them than the victims, but I do not recall any saying that he attacked them too.

check your recall.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:31:54
From: ms spock
ID: 1989792
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Get fucked, you can’t make allegations on a public forum without backing it up.

At best he ignored the evidence others were offending. It’s on the public record that he was an immoral, entitled cunt.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jan/12/george-pell-what-the-five-year-royal-commission-into-child-sexual-abuse-found

I don’t doubt that Pell acted like a swine by denying sexual abuse and via various means further reducing the seriousness to the victims abused by clergy. But for him also to be a pedophile and the accusation made against him, would indicate a long-term activity of abuse and hence more abused people coming forward.

That is not how it works.

You have such a simplistic way of seeing things.

He got away with it for decades. It was like he was invincible and they were all scared of him. Even as adults they were just as scared of him as they were as altar boys.

Read the Royal Commission into instituation responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

The trauma leaves long term effects.

I was just sexually abused by my father. I was also sexually abused at the Catholic Primary School that I went to. I was asked to put in a complaint for a proposed class action and I said no. I don’t have what it takes to get through a court case. I did court support for people. I wouldn’t never go through that.

It’s hard enough to deal with people that have no idea of what it is that you live with.

I got a life sentence from my father and I got a life sentence from the Catholic Church, and they got off scott free. But I don’t have the money and resources to go through those processes. I don’t have the emotional stamina. I gave all I had to run away from home to stop my father from killing my mother and my three sisters and two brothers.

After that I got done over by some people, and I simply have nothing left to give. I didn’t have the skills to work out who was safe and who was not safe.

Some of the things you have said have been very hurtful to me personally but I am guessing you really have no idea what you are talking about. You can read the Royal Commission.

You sit and hear people’s stories and you hear the agony over whether to go to the police or not and to some people you say “Don’t go! It’s not worth it!”

People do talk to each other about which people in which part of the Catholic Church sexually abused them. These are the conversations you have when you have lived through this type of thing. It’s like talking about the weather. But a very different type of weather.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:32:35
From: ms spock
ID: 1989793
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Even in Canberra this week at a Catholic School a young man did disclose and the parents wouldn’t let him come home unless he withdrew his comments about the priest. The young person was very brave and so another place for them to live had to be found.

—-

I also know a fellow who reported it to his parents and they chose to believe the priest.

Yeah and your heart breaks for them. Because you know what is in in store for them.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:32:53
From: btm
ID: 1989794
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Where are these people who came forward saying Pell raped them? Plenty came forward to say he was protecting pedophile priests and that he was more interested in protecting them than the victims, but I do not recall any saying that he attacked them too.

I can introduce you to a bunch of them. Would you like to meet them? Your memory is faulty.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:32:55
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989795
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Get fucked, you can’t make allegations on a public forum without backing it up.

At best he ignored the evidence others were offending. It’s on the public record that he was an immoral, entitled cunt.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jan/12/george-pell-what-the-five-year-royal-commission-into-child-sexual-abuse-found

Pell’s lawyer argued it was nothing but plain vanilla sex.

Richter tried to argue there were “no aggravating circumstances” to one of the offences. It was “no more than a plain vanilla sexual penetration case where the child is not actively participating,” he told the court.

Richter also tried to suggest that an incident in which Pell grabbed one of the boys by the genitals in an attack that lasted seconds was “fleeting” and not worthy of a jail sentence. Kidd disagreed.

“That wasn’t just a trifling sexual assault,” he said.

“Nothing is to be gained here by comparing different forms of sexual abuse of children. Of course I need to make a judgement of the overall gravity of this. But there is a limit to these kinds of comparisons.”

Abuse survivors and advocates present in the court gasped as Richter made his arguments for a lower-end sentence. He said at one point that if Pell’s victims were “truly distressed” after being abused, they would have returned to their homes exhibiting that distress.

Prosecutors described Pell as having “a degree of callous indifference” as he “humiliated, degraded” and sexually abused the boys. This offending, prosecutors said, should attract a significant sentence.

“These acts … were in our submission humiliating and degrading towards each boy and gave rise to distress in each boy as referred to in the evidence gave. recalled voicing objection.”

He said Pell’s offending implied “a degree of callous indifference in relation to those objections”.

“His state of mind suggests he had some degree of confidence as to the unlikelihood that these two boys would complain,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/27/cardinal-pell-will-go-straight-to-jail-as-bail-application-is-withdrawn

A word of advice: Don’t expect prosecuting barristers to provide good character references for those they prosecute.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:33:55
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989796
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Even in Canberra this week at a Catholic School a young man did disclose and the parents wouldn’t let him come home unless he withdrew his comments about the priest. The young person was very brave and so another place for them to live had to be found.

—-

I also know a fellow who reported it to his parents and they chose to believe the priest.

Is this about Pell or some priest?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:33:57
From: ms spock
ID: 1989797
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


PermeateFree said:

When someone is accused of sexual misconduct, usually others also abused suddenly appear wanting to ensure their conviction. However with Pell, nobody came forward, except since his death and cannot defend himself, then they creep out of the woodwork. Why would that be?

Could it be because you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about? As I’ve noted before, I know several people who were abused by Pell, including at least one of my cousins. There were cases pending after his conviction; the prosecutor said there wasn’t enough evidence to try the cases individually but together they painted a consistent picture of abuse. The judge decided that all the cases were to be tried individually, so they were dropped.

And that really broke some people’s hearts, and there were some people/survivors that didn’t even get to the stage of walking through those doors into a police station.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:34:52
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989799
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


sarahs mum said:

Even in Canberra this week at a Catholic School a young man did disclose and the parents wouldn’t let him come home unless he withdrew his comments about the priest. The young person was very brave and so another place for them to live had to be found.

—-

I also know a fellow who reported it to his parents and they chose to believe the priest.

Is this about Pell or some priest?

No. this is about another priest that kept on being transferred.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:35:12
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989800
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


PermeateFree said:

JudgeMental said:

because the feel empowered by one coming out?
because the feel safe?

But they didn’t come out when they could have played a large part in nailing Pell and so then had felt really empowered.

You have to have a lot of support, a lot of therapy, a lot of access to resources, a lot of access to emotional support, you have to have access to money, you have to have access to safe places to stay whilst going through a court case as high profile’s as Pell.

You think having these things said about you in court would make you feel empowered?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/27/cardinal-pell-will-go-straight-to-jail-as-bail-application-is-withdrawn

You are very big on opinion, but do you have any facts?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:36:29
From: ms spock
ID: 1989801
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


ms spock said:

Peak Warming Man said:

That should be done in a court of law.

Why? Why would anyone bother trying to get justice for someone like Pell?

I was sexually abused by my father from ages 2-15 and he raped, attacked and stalked me again in my late teens, early twenties, and then stalked and attacked me in my late twenties and early thirties and moved 8-10 blocks away from me in my late 30s and early 40s, and starting stalking me again.

You can ring the police, they might come but then again they might not. So very, very, very few get justice in the court system. It is not worth it.

If I had known my father would get to stalk and harass me for most the rest of my life. I would have stayed home when my father was threatening to kill us all, and he would have killed us all, and it would be over. The pain would be finished. I ran away and saved everyone’s lives but I still lost everything – my family, school, food to eat, connection, education, my pet cat, my books, my extended family, my friendships, my health, a place to sleep. It wasn’t worth it. Not worth living with the long term effects of what I have to struggle with each day, the ongoing nightmares, the panic attacks, the chronic feelings of shame and feeling not being good enough.

And it definitely wouldn’t be worth it to go to the police and through the court system. I saw what it did to people and the rates of self harm afterwards. It can quite easily destroy a person.

And you definitely don’t go to a court definitely not for a man like Pell, the threats and intimidation that his victims received. They were terrifying. Some of them started to feel suicidal. Yes suicide is easier than dealing with court and the blowback from Pell’s minions. Their families threatening to cut them off if they testified? Because they didn’t want the shame of someone in their family testifying in court against Pell? Some folks are still tremendously brain washed that the church is always right.

And when you have the effects of the sexual abuse. When you have been raped and abused. And beaten and emotionally abused until you stop crying. Well it effects you, you see. You get depression, anxiety, PTSD, derealisation and the very effects of the child rape makes you not a credible witness in a court of law.

That’s where the game is totally rigged in favour of child rapist’s such as Pell.

The effects of the abuse mean your word means very little in a court of law. So there’s no point. And as a lesser person with a “mental health issues” read PTSD from being raped as a child, those abusers get a lesser sentence and people like Abbott and Howard write Pell’s character references. The pressure to be silent and withdraw any statements is HUMUNGUS. What they went through was horrendous. And for Pell there were many more than finally ended up in court. The others dropped by the way side.

Go to court and watch a couple of child sexual assault cases and watch how the person is treated and then you will know why justice doesn’t happen in a court of law.

Even in Canberra this week at a Catholic School a young man did disclose and the parents wouldn’t let him come home unless he withdrew his comments about the priest. The young person was very brave and so another place for them to live had to be found.

There’s no point going to the police or a court. Even if the police believe you, if they are wealthy or well connected they will get a wrist slap.

The circumstances you describe are not relatable to the Pell case. There you did have a so-called victim coming forward that it would have made his accusations seem more truthful if others also came forward, but they didn’t and in your mind let him get away with it.

You really don’t get it, and you know that is probably a really good and beautiful thing. I wish more people had that experience. I wish that I had had that experience.

I didn’t go against the part of the Catholic Church where I was raped because I couldn’t. Even though so many wanted me to.

Pell was a child rapist. You don’t have to believe it. But he was. And it was widely known among the faithful.

And with your attitude I wouldn’t ask someone who was raped by him as a child to speak to you. Because you don’t have an open mind to what has happened.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:36:50
From: ms spock
ID: 1989802
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


ms spock said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

At best he ignored the evidence others were offending. It’s on the public record that he was an immoral, entitled cunt.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jan/12/george-pell-what-the-five-year-royal-commission-into-child-sexual-abuse-found

Pell’s lawyer argued it was nothing but plain vanilla sex.

Richter tried to argue there were “no aggravating circumstances” to one of the offences. It was “no more than a plain vanilla sexual penetration case where the child is not actively participating,” he told the court.

Richter also tried to suggest that an incident in which Pell grabbed one of the boys by the genitals in an attack that lasted seconds was “fleeting” and not worthy of a jail sentence. Kidd disagreed.

“That wasn’t just a trifling sexual assault,” he said.

“Nothing is to be gained here by comparing different forms of sexual abuse of children. Of course I need to make a judgement of the overall gravity of this. But there is a limit to these kinds of comparisons.”

Abuse survivors and advocates present in the court gasped as Richter made his arguments for a lower-end sentence. He said at one point that if Pell’s victims were “truly distressed” after being abused, they would have returned to their homes exhibiting that distress.

Prosecutors described Pell as having “a degree of callous indifference” as he “humiliated, degraded” and sexually abused the boys. This offending, prosecutors said, should attract a significant sentence.

“These acts … were in our submission humiliating and degrading towards each boy and gave rise to distress in each boy as referred to in the evidence gave. recalled voicing objection.”

He said Pell’s offending implied “a degree of callous indifference in relation to those objections”.

“His state of mind suggests he had some degree of confidence as to the unlikelihood that these two boys would complain,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/27/cardinal-pell-will-go-straight-to-jail-as-bail-application-is-withdrawn

He had that overturned 7-0 by the high court, you are just repeating false accusations.

That was a technicality.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:37:15
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989803
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


PermeateFree said:

When someone is accused of sexual misconduct, usually others also abused suddenly appear wanting to ensure their conviction. However with Pell, nobody came forward, except since his death and cannot defend himself, then they creep out of the woodwork. Why would that be?

Could it be because you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about? As I’ve noted before, I know several people who were abused by Pell, including at least one of my cousins. There were cases pending after his conviction; the prosecutor said there wasn’t enough evidence to try the cases individually but together they painted a consistent picture of abuse. The judge decided that all the cases were to be tried individually, so they were dropped.

That is very convenient for you and easy to say as there is no proof.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:38:16
From: ms spock
ID: 1989804
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


ms spock said:

PermeateFree said:

When someone is accused of sexual misconduct, usually others also abused suddenly appear wanting to ensure their conviction. However with Pell, nobody came forward, except since his death and cannot defend himself, then they creep out of the woodwork. Why would that be?

That’s not true many came forward, but coming forward isn’t the same as having the emotional, physical, mental, and financial capacity to go through the court systems.

It takes a lot of resources to manage to go through the court system.

See Brittany Higgins, she has access to some of the best trauma informed therapy and mental health resources available in Australia and she couldn’t go through another trial.

Where are these people who came forward saying Pell raped them? Plenty came forward to say he was protecting pedophile priests and that he was more interested in protecting them than the victims, but I do not recall any saying that he attacked them too.

That’s a fortunate reality for you to live with. Other people who were raped by him don’t get to have that fantasy.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:38:17
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989805
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Peak Warming Man said:

ms spock said:

Pell’s lawyer argued it was nothing but plain vanilla sex.

Richter tried to argue there were “no aggravating circumstances” to one of the offences. It was “no more than a plain vanilla sexual penetration case where the child is not actively participating,” he told the court.

Richter also tried to suggest that an incident in which Pell grabbed one of the boys by the genitals in an attack that lasted seconds was “fleeting” and not worthy of a jail sentence. Kidd disagreed.

“That wasn’t just a trifling sexual assault,” he said.

“Nothing is to be gained here by comparing different forms of sexual abuse of children. Of course I need to make a judgement of the overall gravity of this. But there is a limit to these kinds of comparisons.”

Abuse survivors and advocates present in the court gasped as Richter made his arguments for a lower-end sentence. He said at one point that if Pell’s victims were “truly distressed” after being abused, they would have returned to their homes exhibiting that distress.

Prosecutors described Pell as having “a degree of callous indifference” as he “humiliated, degraded” and sexually abused the boys. This offending, prosecutors said, should attract a significant sentence.

“These acts … were in our submission humiliating and degrading towards each boy and gave rise to distress in each boy as referred to in the evidence gave. recalled voicing objection.”

He said Pell’s offending implied “a degree of callous indifference in relation to those objections”.

“His state of mind suggests he had some degree of confidence as to the unlikelihood that these two boys would complain,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/27/cardinal-pell-will-go-straight-to-jail-as-bail-application-is-withdrawn

He had that overturned 7-0 by the high court, you are just repeating false accusations.

That was a technicality.

I just read this.

https://theconversation.com/how-george-pell-won-in-the-high-court-on-a-legal-technicality-133156

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:38:54
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989807
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


PermeateFree said:

ms spock said:

That’s not true many came forward, but coming forward isn’t the same as having the emotional, physical, mental, and financial capacity to go through the court systems.

It takes a lot of resources to manage to go through the court system.

See Brittany Higgins, she has access to some of the best trauma informed therapy and mental health resources available in Australia and she couldn’t go through another trial.

Where are these people who came forward saying Pell raped them? Plenty came forward to say he was protecting pedophile priests and that he was more interested in protecting them than the victims, but I do not recall any saying that he attacked them too.

check your recall.

So?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:41:51
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989809
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


PermeateFree said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

At best he ignored the evidence others were offending. It’s on the public record that he was an immoral, entitled cunt.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jan/12/george-pell-what-the-five-year-royal-commission-into-child-sexual-abuse-found

I don’t doubt that Pell acted like a swine by denying sexual abuse and via various means further reducing the seriousness to the victims abused by clergy. But for him also to be a pedophile and the accusation made against him, would indicate a long-term activity of abuse and hence more abused people coming forward.

That is not how it works.

You have such a simplistic way of seeing things.

He got away with it for decades. It was like he was invincible and they were all scared of him. Even as adults they were just as scared of him as they were as altar boys.

Read the Royal Commission into instituation responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

The trauma leaves long term effects.

I was just sexually abused by my father. I was also sexually abused at the Catholic Primary School that I went to. I was asked to put in a complaint for a proposed class action and I said no. I don’t have what it takes to get through a court case. I did court support for people. I wouldn’t never go through that.

It’s hard enough to deal with people that have no idea of what it is that you live with.

I got a life sentence from my father and I got a life sentence from the Catholic Church, and they got off scott free. But I don’t have the money and resources to go through those processes. I don’t have the emotional stamina. I gave all I had to run away from home to stop my father from killing my mother and my three sisters and two brothers.

After that I got done over by some people, and I simply have nothing left to give. I didn’t have the skills to work out who was safe and who was not safe.

Some of the things you have said have been very hurtful to me personally but I am guessing you really have no idea what you are talking about. You can read the Royal Commission.

You sit and hear people’s stories and you hear the agony over whether to go to the police or not and to some people you say “Don’t go! It’s not worth it!”

People do talk to each other about which people in which part of the Catholic Church sexually abused them. These are the conversations you have when you have lived through this type of thing. It’s like talking about the weather. But a very different type of weather.

You are convinced he was a pedophile but have no evidence. You would think that over several decades there would be some who would want to have Pell put away for a very long time, but where are they?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:43:48
From: ms spock
ID: 1989810
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


ms spock said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

At best he ignored the evidence others were offending. It’s on the public record that he was an immoral, entitled cunt.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jan/12/george-pell-what-the-five-year-royal-commission-into-child-sexual-abuse-found

Pell’s lawyer argued it was nothing but plain vanilla sex.

Richter tried to argue there were “no aggravating circumstances” to one of the offences. It was “no more than a plain vanilla sexual penetration case where the child is not actively participating,” he told the court.

Richter also tried to suggest that an incident in which Pell grabbed one of the boys by the genitals in an attack that lasted seconds was “fleeting” and not worthy of a jail sentence. Kidd disagreed.

“That wasn’t just a trifling sexual assault,” he said.

“Nothing is to be gained here by comparing different forms of sexual abuse of children. Of course I need to make a judgement of the overall gravity of this. But there is a limit to these kinds of comparisons.”

Abuse survivors and advocates present in the court gasped as Richter made his arguments for a lower-end sentence. He said at one point that if Pell’s victims were “truly distressed” after being abused, they would have returned to their homes exhibiting that distress.

Prosecutors described Pell as having “a degree of callous indifference” as he “humiliated, degraded” and sexually abused the boys. This offending, prosecutors said, should attract a significant sentence.

“These acts … were in our submission humiliating and degrading towards each boy and gave rise to distress in each boy as referred to in the evidence gave. recalled voicing objection.”

He said Pell’s offending implied “a degree of callous indifference in relation to those objections”.

“His state of mind suggests he had some degree of confidence as to the unlikelihood that these two boys would complain,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/27/cardinal-pell-will-go-straight-to-jail-as-bail-application-is-withdrawn

A word of advice: Don’t expect prosecuting barristers to provide good character references for those they prosecute.

I have never expected prosecuting barristers to provide a good character references for those they prosecute. This is really getting into strawman territory.

I am very sorry if I upset you with facts that are not part of your life or your lived experience. That was not my intent.

I refused to do documentaries or television but I have been part of the sexual abuse communities for a long time. I have been part of these communties for 37 years. I gave my first talk about my lived experience of child sexual abuse when I was 15 at a conference. I have been very active in these communities during different decades of my life.

Survivors do talk to each other and tell each other their stories.

When I found out that a famous person that I thought was a really good person with ethics and morals. I was in shock and upset and didn’t want to believe it. And perhaps this is your experience, I don’t know.

I am going to go now.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:44:20
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989812
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

some must have come forward

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/news/george-pell-death-from-jail-to-release-a-timeline-of-the-cardinals-biggest-controversies/news-story/a3fe35819f5e804240087486b7c9b541

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:45:07
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989813
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

Even in Canberra this week at a Catholic School a young man did disclose and the parents wouldn’t let him come home unless he withdrew his comments about the priest. The young person was very brave and so another place for them to live had to be found.

—-

I also know a fellow who reported it to his parents and they chose to believe the priest.

Yeah and your heart breaks for them. Because you know what is in in store for them.

You are not on Facebook, but a science base forum. If you have any evidence then produce it, but I am finding your tear-jerking replies not relevant.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:47:26
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989814
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


PermeateFree said:

Where are these people who came forward saying Pell raped them? Plenty came forward to say he was protecting pedophile priests and that he was more interested in protecting them than the victims, but I do not recall any saying that he attacked them too.

I can introduce you to a bunch of them. Would you like to meet them? Your memory is faulty.

Why not just produce the evidence rather than these silly suggestions that I meet with people that would be impossible to arrange? My BS detector is glowing red.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:49:28
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989815
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


btm said:

PermeateFree said:

Where are these people who came forward saying Pell raped them? Plenty came forward to say he was protecting pedophile priests and that he was more interested in protecting them than the victims, but I do not recall any saying that he attacked them too.

I can introduce you to a bunch of them. Would you like to meet them? Your memory is faulty.

Why not just produce the evidence rather than these silly suggestions that I meet with people that would be impossible to arrange? My BS detector is glowing red.

maybe your bullshit detector is being affected by your faulty recall.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:50:23
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989816
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


PermeateFree said:

sarahs mum said:

Even in Canberra this week at a Catholic School a young man did disclose and the parents wouldn’t let him come home unless he withdrew his comments about the priest. The young person was very brave and so another place for them to live had to be found.

—-

I also know a fellow who reported it to his parents and they chose to believe the priest.

Is this about Pell or some priest?

No. this is about another priest that kept on being transferred.

Well that is fair enough, I am not defending the Catholic Church. There is such a thing in Australia that seems to be disappearing fast and that is to give a “fair go.”

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:51:30
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1989817
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


btm said:

PermeateFree said:

When someone is accused of sexual misconduct, usually others also abused suddenly appear wanting to ensure their conviction. However with Pell, nobody came forward, except since his death and cannot defend himself, then they creep out of the woodwork. Why would that be?

Could it be because you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about? As I’ve noted before, I know several people who were abused by Pell, including at least one of my cousins. There were cases pending after his conviction; the prosecutor said there wasn’t enough evidence to try the cases individually but together they painted a consistent picture of abuse. The judge decided that all the cases were to be tried individually, so they were dropped.

That is very convenient for you and easy to say as there is no proof.

LOL no worries, talking about sexual abuse certainly is easy and convenient for people oh fuck yeah

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:51:30
From: ms spock
ID: 1989818
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


ms spock said:

PermeateFree said:

But they didn’t come out when they could have played a large part in nailing Pell and so then had felt really empowered.

You have to have a lot of support, a lot of therapy, a lot of access to resources, a lot of access to emotional support, you have to have access to money, you have to have access to safe places to stay whilst going through a court case as high profile’s as Pell.

You think having these things said about you in court would make you feel empowered?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/27/cardinal-pell-will-go-straight-to-jail-as-bail-application-is-withdrawn

You are very big on opinion, but do you have any facts?

I am not going to introduce you to any of the survivors that were raped by Pell. You have already made your mind up.

You are right (because it is true I have not provided any facts) and I am wrong.

That’s usually how this works. We go back to pretending that nothing really happened and I am just a crazy/unreliable person saying bad things about such ever good men. I have been in this movie since I was 8 years old from the first time I disclosed about the sexual abuse at home and at my wonderful Catholic school.

And you know take extra care of your self tonight because these are the very difficult conversations to have. And it is very emotionally charged on both sides. And none of us win agree/disagree/call it a draw.

So if you are feeling as half as upset as I am feeling now. Please know I don’t mean it from a malicious place to say things. I just want truth.

And you also just want truth, and thus you ask the questions and make the comments that you make and ask. It’s not easy and it is brave Peak Warming Man to challenge and ask for more information.

No matter where you stand on this one, it is heartbreaking. So I feel for you and for me, because this is tough going.

So respect Peak Warming Man, and I hope that your playtpus is going well.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:51:37
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1989819
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Oh well, the ignore list grows by one.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:53:29
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1989820
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


btm said:

PermeateFree said:

Where are these people who came forward saying Pell raped them? Plenty came forward to say he was protecting pedophile priests and that he was more interested in protecting them than the victims, but I do not recall any saying that he attacked them too.

I can introduce you to a bunch of them. Would you like to meet them? Your memory is faulty.

Why not just produce the evidence rather than these silly suggestions that I meet with people that would be impossible to arrange? My BS detector is glowing red.

why not just burn some more fossil fuels

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:54:21
From: ms spock
ID: 1989821
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


ms spock said:

PermeateFree said:

I don’t doubt that Pell acted like a swine by denying sexual abuse and via various means further reducing the seriousness to the victims abused by clergy. But for him also to be a pedophile and the accusation made against him, would indicate a long-term activity of abuse and hence more abused people coming forward.

That is not how it works.

You have such a simplistic way of seeing things.

He got away with it for decades. It was like he was invincible and they were all scared of him. Even as adults they were just as scared of him as they were as altar boys.

Read the Royal Commission into instituation responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

The trauma leaves long term effects.

I was just sexually abused by my father. I was also sexually abused at the Catholic Primary School that I went to. I was asked to put in a complaint for a proposed class action and I said no. I don’t have what it takes to get through a court case. I did court support for people. I wouldn’t never go through that.

It’s hard enough to deal with people that have no idea of what it is that you live with.

I got a life sentence from my father and I got a life sentence from the Catholic Church, and they got off scott free. But I don’t have the money and resources to go through those processes. I don’t have the emotional stamina. I gave all I had to run away from home to stop my father from killing my mother and my three sisters and two brothers.

After that I got done over by some people, and I simply have nothing left to give. I didn’t have the skills to work out who was safe and who was not safe.

Some of the things you have said have been very hurtful to me personally but I am guessing you really have no idea what you are talking about. You can read the Royal Commission.

You sit and hear people’s stories and you hear the agony over whether to go to the police or not and to some people you say “Don’t go! It’s not worth it!”

People do talk to each other about which people in which part of the Catholic Church sexually abused them. These are the conversations you have when you have lived through this type of thing. It’s like talking about the weather. But a very different type of weather.

You are convinced he was a pedophile but have no evidence. You would think that over several decades there would be some who would want to have Pell put away for a very long time, but where are they?

Pell’s Survivor’s are unable to go to court because of the long term damage of child sexual abuse.

If you read the Royal Commission into Instituation Responses for Child Sexual Abuse, you will read in one area of Pell’s area 12 boys out of one class died by suicide.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:56:33
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989822
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


PermeateFree said:

ms spock said:

Why? Why would anyone bother trying to get justice for someone like Pell?

I was sexually abused by my father from ages 2-15 and he raped, attacked and stalked me again in my late teens, early twenties, and then stalked and attacked me in my late twenties and early thirties and moved 8-10 blocks away from me in my late 30s and early 40s, and starting stalking me again.

You can ring the police, they might come but then again they might not. So very, very, very few get justice in the court system. It is not worth it.

If I had known my father would get to stalk and harass me for most the rest of my life. I would have stayed home when my father was threatening to kill us all, and he would have killed us all, and it would be over. The pain would be finished. I ran away and saved everyone’s lives but I still lost everything – my family, school, food to eat, connection, education, my pet cat, my books, my extended family, my friendships, my health, a place to sleep. It wasn’t worth it. Not worth living with the long term effects of what I have to struggle with each day, the ongoing nightmares, the panic attacks, the chronic feelings of shame and feeling not being good enough.

And it definitely wouldn’t be worth it to go to the police and through the court system. I saw what it did to people and the rates of self harm afterwards. It can quite easily destroy a person.

And you definitely don’t go to a court definitely not for a man like Pell, the threats and intimidation that his victims received. They were terrifying. Some of them started to feel suicidal. Yes suicide is easier than dealing with court and the blowback from Pell’s minions. Their families threatening to cut them off if they testified? Because they didn’t want the shame of someone in their family testifying in court against Pell? Some folks are still tremendously brain washed that the church is always right.

And when you have the effects of the sexual abuse. When you have been raped and abused. And beaten and emotionally abused until you stop crying. Well it effects you, you see. You get depression, anxiety, PTSD, derealisation and the very effects of the child rape makes you not a credible witness in a court of law.

That’s where the game is totally rigged in favour of child rapist’s such as Pell.

The effects of the abuse mean your word means very little in a court of law. So there’s no point. And as a lesser person with a “mental health issues” read PTSD from being raped as a child, those abusers get a lesser sentence and people like Abbott and Howard write Pell’s character references. The pressure to be silent and withdraw any statements is HUMUNGUS. What they went through was horrendous. And for Pell there were many more than finally ended up in court. The others dropped by the way side.

Go to court and watch a couple of child sexual assault cases and watch how the person is treated and then you will know why justice doesn’t happen in a court of law.

Even in Canberra this week at a Catholic School a young man did disclose and the parents wouldn’t let him come home unless he withdrew his comments about the priest. The young person was very brave and so another place for them to live had to be found.

There’s no point going to the police or a court. Even if the police believe you, if they are wealthy or well connected they will get a wrist slap.

The circumstances you describe are not relatable to the Pell case. There you did have a so-called victim coming forward that it would have made his accusations seem more truthful if others also came forward, but they didn’t and in your mind let him get away with it.

You really don’t get it, and you know that is probably a really good and beautiful thing. I wish more people had that experience. I wish that I had had that experience.

I didn’t go against the part of the Catholic Church where I was raped because I couldn’t. Even though so many wanted me to.

Pell was a child rapist. You don’t have to believe it. But he was. And it was widely known among the faithful.

And with your attitude I wouldn’t ask someone who was raped by him as a child to speak to you. Because you don’t have an open mind to what has happened.

Unfortunately, there are so many people around these days just waiting to call every male that even in reply says hello to a child. These people are 100% emotion and have no control over their thoughts in this regard. Your background has obviously colored your view on the matter, but you are not discussing Pell but a crime the High Court has declared him innocent 7 to 0.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:56:33
From: btm
ID: 1989823
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


btm said:

PermeateFree said:

When someone is accused of sexual misconduct, usually others also abused suddenly appear wanting to ensure their conviction. However with Pell, nobody came forward, except since his death and cannot defend himself, then they creep out of the woodwork. Why would that be?

Could it be because you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about? As I’ve noted before, I know several people who were abused by Pell, including at least one of my cousins. There were cases pending after his conviction; the prosecutor said there wasn’t enough evidence to try the cases individually but together they painted a consistent picture of abuse. The judge decided that all the cases were to be tried individually, so they were dropped.

That is very convenient for you and easy to say as there is no proof.

I’ll tell you what; I’ll set up a meeting with those of Pell’s victims that I know, and you can call them liars to their faces. How would that be?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:57:25
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989825
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


PermeateFree said:

ms spock said:

Pell’s lawyer argued it was nothing but plain vanilla sex.

Richter tried to argue there were “no aggravating circumstances” to one of the offences. It was “no more than a plain vanilla sexual penetration case where the child is not actively participating,” he told the court.

Richter also tried to suggest that an incident in which Pell grabbed one of the boys by the genitals in an attack that lasted seconds was “fleeting” and not worthy of a jail sentence. Kidd disagreed.

“That wasn’t just a trifling sexual assault,” he said.

“Nothing is to be gained here by comparing different forms of sexual abuse of children. Of course I need to make a judgement of the overall gravity of this. But there is a limit to these kinds of comparisons.”

Abuse survivors and advocates present in the court gasped as Richter made his arguments for a lower-end sentence. He said at one point that if Pell’s victims were “truly distressed” after being abused, they would have returned to their homes exhibiting that distress.

Prosecutors described Pell as having “a degree of callous indifference” as he “humiliated, degraded” and sexually abused the boys. This offending, prosecutors said, should attract a significant sentence.

“These acts … were in our submission humiliating and degrading towards each boy and gave rise to distress in each boy as referred to in the evidence gave. recalled voicing objection.”

He said Pell’s offending implied “a degree of callous indifference in relation to those objections”.

“His state of mind suggests he had some degree of confidence as to the unlikelihood that these two boys would complain,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/27/cardinal-pell-will-go-straight-to-jail-as-bail-application-is-withdrawn

A word of advice: Don’t expect prosecuting barristers to provide good character references for those they prosecute.

I have never expected prosecuting barristers to provide a good character references for those they prosecute. This is really getting into strawman territory.

I am very sorry if I upset you with facts that are not part of your life or your lived experience. That was not my intent.

I refused to do documentaries or television but I have been part of the sexual abuse communities for a long time. I have been part of these communties for 37 years. I gave my first talk about my lived experience of child sexual abuse when I was 15 at a conference. I have been very active in these communities during different decades of my life.

Survivors do talk to each other and tell each other their stories.

When I found out that a famous person that I thought was a really good person with ethics and morals. I was in shock and upset and didn’t want to believe it. And perhaps this is your experience, I don’t know.

I am going to go now.

I’ll listen to the opinion of seven high court judges well ahead of the unsubstantiated opinions of someone in an internet chat room.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:57:57
From: ms spock
ID: 1989826
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

Even in Canberra this week at a Catholic School a young man did disclose and the parents wouldn’t let him come home unless he withdrew his comments about the priest. The young person was very brave and so another place for them to live had to be found.

—-

I also know a fellow who reported it to his parents and they chose to believe the priest.

Yeah and your heart breaks for them. Because you know what is in in store for them.

You are not on Facebook, but a science base forum. If you have any evidence then produce it, but I am finding your tear-jerking replies not relevant.

It is true I am not on Facebook, but there are different Facebook groups run by survivors of sexual abuse of different priests, such as Pell for survivors of such priests.

I understand. There is no point in us discussing this further.

But consider your very attitude – if you had been sexually abused by a family priest for a decade and you heard what you have said tonight and you have serious emotional vulnerabilities due to that child rape, would you be more or less likely to disclose that sexual abuse?

I called you Peak Warming Man and I apologise to both you and PWM. I got confused.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 19:59:22
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989827
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Unfortunately, there are so many people around these days just waiting to call every male that even in reply says hello to a child
—-

hmmm.

Na.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:00:30
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1989828
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


ms spock said:

PermeateFree said:

A word of advice: Don’t expect prosecuting barristers to provide good character references for those they prosecute.

I have never expected prosecuting barristers to provide a good character references for those they prosecute. This is really getting into strawman territory.

I am very sorry if I upset you with facts that are not part of your life or your lived experience. That was not my intent.

I refused to do documentaries or television but I have been part of the sexual abuse communities for a long time. I have been part of these communties for 37 years. I gave my first talk about my lived experience of child sexual abuse when I was 15 at a conference. I have been very active in these communities during different decades of my life.

Survivors do talk to each other and tell each other their stories.

When I found out that a famous person that I thought was a really good person with ethics and morals. I was in shock and upset and didn’t want to believe it. And perhaps this is your experience, I don’t know.

I am going to go now.

I’ll listen to the opinion of seven high court judges well ahead of the unsubstantiated opinions of someone in an internet chat room.

See royal commision.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:01:04
From: ms spock
ID: 1989829
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


ms spock said:

PermeateFree said:

A word of advice: Don’t expect prosecuting barristers to provide good character references for those they prosecute.

I have never expected prosecuting barristers to provide a good character references for those they prosecute. This is really getting into strawman territory.

I am very sorry if I upset you with facts that are not part of your life or your lived experience. That was not my intent.

I refused to do documentaries or television but I have been part of the sexual abuse communities for a long time. I have been part of these communties for 37 years. I gave my first talk about my lived experience of child sexual abuse when I was 15 at a conference. I have been very active in these communities during different decades of my life.

Survivors do talk to each other and tell each other their stories.

When I found out that a famous person that I thought was a really good person with ethics and morals. I was in shock and upset and didn’t want to believe it. And perhaps this is your experience, I don’t know.

I am going to go now.

I’ll listen to the opinion of seven high court judges well ahead of the unsubstantiated opinions of someone in an internet chat room.

We have that clear.

So let’s move on to something else.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:03:47
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989831
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


PermeateFree said:

ms spock said:

Pell’s lawyer argued it was nothing but plain vanilla sex.

Richter tried to argue there were “no aggravating circumstances” to one of the offences. It was “no more than a plain vanilla sexual penetration case where the child is not actively participating,” he told the court.

Richter also tried to suggest that an incident in which Pell grabbed one of the boys by the genitals in an attack that lasted seconds was “fleeting” and not worthy of a jail sentence. Kidd disagreed.

“That wasn’t just a trifling sexual assault,” he said.

“Nothing is to be gained here by comparing different forms of sexual abuse of children. Of course I need to make a judgement of the overall gravity of this. But there is a limit to these kinds of comparisons.”

Abuse survivors and advocates present in the court gasped as Richter made his arguments for a lower-end sentence. He said at one point that if Pell’s victims were “truly distressed” after being abused, they would have returned to their homes exhibiting that distress.

Prosecutors described Pell as having “a degree of callous indifference” as he “humiliated, degraded” and sexually abused the boys. This offending, prosecutors said, should attract a significant sentence.

“These acts … were in our submission humiliating and degrading towards each boy and gave rise to distress in each boy as referred to in the evidence gave. recalled voicing objection.”

He said Pell’s offending implied “a degree of callous indifference in relation to those objections”.

“His state of mind suggests he had some degree of confidence as to the unlikelihood that these two boys would complain,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/27/cardinal-pell-will-go-straight-to-jail-as-bail-application-is-withdrawn

A word of advice: Don’t expect prosecuting barristers to provide good character references for those they prosecute.

I have never expected prosecuting barristers to provide a good character references for those they prosecute. This is really getting into strawman territory.

I am very sorry if I upset you with facts that are not part of your life or your lived experience. That was not my intent.

I refused to do documentaries or television but I have been part of the sexual abuse communities for a long time. I have been part of these communties for 37 years. I gave my first talk about my lived experience of child sexual abuse when I was 15 at a conference. I have been very active in these communities during different decades of my life.

Survivors do talk to each other and tell each other their stories.

When I found out that a famous person that I thought was a really good person with ethics and morals. I was in shock and upset and didn’t want to believe it. And perhaps this is your experience, I don’t know.

I am going to go now.

My experiences tend to be scientifically based and I try not to come to conclusions purely on emotional considerations. You have completely misrepresented the discussion over Pell by your own experiences that are NOT related. And please stop trying to determine my life experiences as like much of what you detail here are silly tear-jerking attempts to gain support.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:03:53
From: ms spock
ID: 1989832
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Peak Warming Man said:

ms spock said:

I have never expected prosecuting barristers to provide a good character references for those they prosecute. This is really getting into strawman territory.

I am very sorry if I upset you with facts that are not part of your life or your lived experience. That was not my intent.

I refused to do documentaries or television but I have been part of the sexual abuse communities for a long time. I have been part of these communties for 37 years. I gave my first talk about my lived experience of child sexual abuse when I was 15 at a conference. I have been very active in these communities during different decades of my life.

Survivors do talk to each other and tell each other their stories.

When I found out that a famous person that I thought was a really good person with ethics and morals. I was in shock and upset and didn’t want to believe it. And perhaps this is your experience, I don’t know.

I am going to go now.

I’ll listen to the opinion of seven high court judges well ahead of the unsubstantiated opinions of someone in an internet chat room.

See royal commision.

The Royal Commission does have a lot of information.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:04:50
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989833
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


PermeateFree said:

btm said:

I can introduce you to a bunch of them. Would you like to meet them? Your memory is faulty.

Why not just produce the evidence rather than these silly suggestions that I meet with people that would be impossible to arrange? My BS detector is glowing red.

maybe your bullshit detector is being affected by your faulty recall.

WHAT recall have I got wrong?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:08:14
From: ms spock
ID: 1989834
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dear BTM,

I hope that I have not upset you or caused you harm and/or distress. I had no idea that the conversation would develop in this manner.

And this might be a space where you keep out of your mind the support that you give others that have suffered so much.

So sending good wishes and I presume that people have read the Royal Commission and have more knowledge than they sometimes have.

When I was 15 I thought we would be way much further away along then we are, so much respect for you for those that your support who suffered at Pell’s hands. A most worthy and heart breaking task.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:12:35
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989835
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


PermeateFree said:

ms spock said:

You have to have a lot of support, a lot of therapy, a lot of access to resources, a lot of access to emotional support, you have to have access to money, you have to have access to safe places to stay whilst going through a court case as high profile’s as Pell.

You think having these things said about you in court would make you feel empowered?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/27/cardinal-pell-will-go-straight-to-jail-as-bail-application-is-withdrawn

You are very big on opinion, but do you have any facts?

I am not going to introduce you to any of the survivors that were raped by Pell. You have already made your mind up.

You are right (because it is true I have not provided any facts) and I am wrong.

That’s usually how this works. We go back to pretending that nothing really happened and I am just a crazy/unreliable person saying bad things about such ever good men. I have been in this movie since I was 8 years old from the first time I disclosed about the sexual abuse at home and at my wonderful Catholic school.

And you know take extra care of your self tonight because these are the very difficult conversations to have. And it is very emotionally charged on both sides. And none of us win agree/disagree/call it a draw.

So if you are feeling as half as upset as I am feeling now. Please know I don’t mean it from a malicious place to say things. I just want truth.

And you also just want truth, and thus you ask the questions and make the comments that you make and ask. It’s not easy and it is brave Peak Warming Man to challenge and ask for more information.

No matter where you stand on this one, it is heartbreaking. So I feel for you and for me, because this is tough going.

So respect Peak Warming Man, and I hope that your playtpus is going well.

Stop trying to demonise me please! You are right you produce no facts only an account of your childhood that is not relevant. I am not interested in your childhood, and it should not be used here as some kind of proof of your convictions. Unfortunately, there are too many people like you who will accuse people of the most horrendous deeds without a scrape of proof, just to satisfy your distorted outlook.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:14:23
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989836
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


PermeateFree said:

ms spock said:

That is not how it works.

You have such a simplistic way of seeing things.

He got away with it for decades. It was like he was invincible and they were all scared of him. Even as adults they were just as scared of him as they were as altar boys.

Read the Royal Commission into instituation responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

The trauma leaves long term effects.

I was just sexually abused by my father. I was also sexually abused at the Catholic Primary School that I went to. I was asked to put in a complaint for a proposed class action and I said no. I don’t have what it takes to get through a court case. I did court support for people. I wouldn’t never go through that.

It’s hard enough to deal with people that have no idea of what it is that you live with.

I got a life sentence from my father and I got a life sentence from the Catholic Church, and they got off scott free. But I don’t have the money and resources to go through those processes. I don’t have the emotional stamina. I gave all I had to run away from home to stop my father from killing my mother and my three sisters and two brothers.

After that I got done over by some people, and I simply have nothing left to give. I didn’t have the skills to work out who was safe and who was not safe.

Some of the things you have said have been very hurtful to me personally but I am guessing you really have no idea what you are talking about. You can read the Royal Commission.

You sit and hear people’s stories and you hear the agony over whether to go to the police or not and to some people you say “Don’t go! It’s not worth it!”

People do talk to each other about which people in which part of the Catholic Church sexually abused them. These are the conversations you have when you have lived through this type of thing. It’s like talking about the weather. But a very different type of weather.

You are convinced he was a pedophile but have no evidence. You would think that over several decades there would be some who would want to have Pell put away for a very long time, but where are they?

Pell’s Survivor’s are unable to go to court because of the long term damage of child sexual abuse.

If you read the Royal Commission into Instituation Responses for Child Sexual Abuse, you will read in one area of Pell’s area 12 boys out of one class died by suicide.

Well that is proof positive of his pedophile guilt then.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:16:44
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989839
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


PermeateFree said:

btm said:

Could it be because you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about? As I’ve noted before, I know several people who were abused by Pell, including at least one of my cousins. There were cases pending after his conviction; the prosecutor said there wasn’t enough evidence to try the cases individually but together they painted a consistent picture of abuse. The judge decided that all the cases were to be tried individually, so they were dropped.

That is very convenient for you and easy to say as there is no proof.

I’ll tell you what; I’ll set up a meeting with those of Pell’s victims that I know, and you can call them liars to their faces. How would that be?

You are proving to be even more ridiculous that I initially thought you were.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:17:52
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989840
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


ms spock said:

PermeateFree said:

A word of advice: Don’t expect prosecuting barristers to provide good character references for those they prosecute.

I have never expected prosecuting barristers to provide a good character references for those they prosecute. This is really getting into strawman territory.

I am very sorry if I upset you with facts that are not part of your life or your lived experience. That was not my intent.

I refused to do documentaries or television but I have been part of the sexual abuse communities for a long time. I have been part of these communties for 37 years. I gave my first talk about my lived experience of child sexual abuse when I was 15 at a conference. I have been very active in these communities during different decades of my life.

Survivors do talk to each other and tell each other their stories.

When I found out that a famous person that I thought was a really good person with ethics and morals. I was in shock and upset and didn’t want to believe it. And perhaps this is your experience, I don’t know.

I am going to go now.

I’ll listen to the opinion of seven high court judges well ahead of the unsubstantiated opinions of someone in an internet chat room.

+1

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:20:18
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989842
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


PermeateFree said:

ms spock said:

Yeah and your heart breaks for them. Because you know what is in in store for them.

You are not on Facebook, but a science base forum. If you have any evidence then produce it, but I am finding your tear-jerking replies not relevant.

It is true I am not on Facebook, but there are different Facebook groups run by survivors of sexual abuse of different priests, such as Pell for survivors of such priests.

I understand. There is no point in us discussing this further.

But consider your very attitude – if you had been sexually abused by a family priest for a decade and you heard what you have said tonight and you have serious emotional vulnerabilities due to that child rape, would you be more or less likely to disclose that sexual abuse?

I called you Peak Warming Man and I apologise to both you and PWM. I got confused.

Please go a cry on some other person’s shoulder, we all have had our problems and I don’t need yours as well.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:22:03
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989843
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Unfortunately, there are so many people around these days just waiting to call every male that even in reply says hello to a child
—-

hmmm.

Na.

Oh yes, and being a male I think I know a little more than you.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:23:54
From: ms spock
ID: 1989844
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


ms spock said:

PermeateFree said:

A word of advice: Don’t expect prosecuting barristers to provide good character references for those they prosecute.

I have never expected prosecuting barristers to provide a good character references for those they prosecute. This is really getting into strawman territory.

I am very sorry if I upset you with facts that are not part of your life or your lived experience. That was not my intent.

I refused to do documentaries or television but I have been part of the sexual abuse communities for a long time. I have been part of these communties for 37 years. I gave my first talk about my lived experience of child sexual abuse when I was 15 at a conference. I have been very active in these communities during different decades of my life.

Survivors do talk to each other and tell each other their stories.

When I found out that a famous person that I thought was a really good person with ethics and morals. I was in shock and upset and didn’t want to believe it. And perhaps this is your experience, I don’t know.

I am going to go now.

My experiences tend to be scientifically based and I try not to come to conclusions purely on emotional considerations. You have completely misrepresented the discussion over Pell by your own experiences that are NOT related. And please stop trying to determine my life experiences as like much of what you detail here are silly tear-jerking attempts to gain support.

I would suggest that you read the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse

It would seem to me, though a learned person in many arenas, that you are not basing your assessments on the facts because you haven’t availed yourself of them. And I seriously wish I was not as conversant with this situation as I am.

I can see that your experiences tend to be scientifically based and it is logical to not come to conclusions purely on emotional considerations. That is why Mr Spock is my favourite Star Trek Character. I have not communicated in a meaningful way with you and I am sorry for that. I didn’t mean to anger or upset you or show disrepect for your scientific methods. For me the discussion over Pell represent by some of my own experiences are related in demonstrating why people don’t go to a police station and proceed to the courts. I thought that would be meaningful to you but I was wrong.

I can only speak from my heart and it seems that really missed the mark with you here because I came across to you as corny and as someone who is attempting silly tear-jerking attempts to gain support. Because I am not someone who garners support on the whole. I don’t maintain connections. Whatever the legacy of the sexual abuse was on me, it definitely impacted on my capacity to be in connection with other people. Apparently it is called disorganised attachment. So I know that there is something off about me in this arena, and I am working on trying to heal that part of myself but I am not there yet.

I am not wanting to garner tear jerking support what I am wanting is intergenerational social change. And if we don’t discuss the hard issues how can that ever happen?

I will stop trying to determine your life experiences, I was trying to build rapport and empathy to try and understand what it is that you are saying to a deeper level and how you came to the conclusions you came to. Once again I missed the mark and came across in a way that doesn’t fit with your scientifically based experiences.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:24:16
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1989845
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


sarahs mum said:

Unfortunately, there are so many people around these days just waiting to call every male that even in reply says hello to a child
—-

hmmm.

Na.

Oh yes, and being a male I think I know a little more than you.

Have you been saying hello to random six year-olds at the supermarket again?

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:24:47
From: btm
ID: 1989846
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Dear BTM,

I hope that I have not upset you or caused you harm and/or distress. I had no idea that the conversation would develop in this manner.

And this might be a space where you keep out of your mind the support that you give others that have suffered so much.

So sending good wishes and I presume that people have read the Royal Commission and have more knowledge than they sometimes have.

When I was 15 I thought we would be way much further away along then we are, so much respect for you for those that your support who suffered at Pell’s hands. A most worthy and heart breaking task.

Thanks, ms spock. You didn’t upset me, but PF did. I’ve read the RC’s report (I gave evidence to it,) but not sure I’ve got more information than you. Your posts here make me think you’re much stronger than me.

I keep hoping that we, as a society. can stop this from happening, but it seems to be getting worse.

Sending good wishes to you, too.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:27:01
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1989848
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


ms spock said:

PermeateFree said:

A word of advice: Don’t expect prosecuting barristers to provide good character references for those they prosecute.

I have never expected prosecuting barristers to provide a good character references for those they prosecute. This is really getting into strawman territory.

I am very sorry if I upset you with facts that are not part of your life or your lived experience. That was not my intent.

I refused to do documentaries or television but I have been part of the sexual abuse communities for a long time. I have been part of these communties for 37 years. I gave my first talk about my lived experience of child sexual abuse when I was 15 at a conference. I have been very active in these communities during different decades of my life.

Survivors do talk to each other and tell each other their stories.

When I found out that a famous person that I thought was a really good person with ethics and morals. I was in shock and upset and didn’t want to believe it. And perhaps this is your experience, I don’t know.

I am going to go now.

My experiences tend to be scientifically based and I try not to come to conclusions purely on emotional considerations. You have completely misrepresented the discussion over Pell by your own experiences that are NOT related. And please stop trying to determine my life experiences as like much of what you detail here are silly tear-jerking attempts to gain support.

as SCIENCE we know this thing above here is false

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:29:00
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1989849
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:

ms spock said:

PermeateFree said:

You are not on Facebook, but a science base forum. If you have any evidence then produce it, but I am finding your tear-jerking replies not relevant.

It is true I am not on Facebook, but there are different Facebook groups run by survivors of sexual abuse of different priests, such as Pell for survivors of such priests.

I understand. There is no point in us discussing this further.

But consider your very attitude – if you had been sexually abused by a family priest for a decade and you heard what you have said tonight and you have serious emotional vulnerabilities due to that child rape, would you be more or less likely to disclose that sexual abuse?

I called you Peak Warming Man and I apologise to both you and PWM. I got confused.

Please go a cry on some other person’s shoulder, we all have had our problems and I don’t need yours as well.

we have solutions

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:29:47
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1989850
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:

sarahs mum said:

Unfortunately, there are so many people around these days just waiting to call every male that even in reply says hello to a child
—-

hmmm.

Na.

Oh yes, and being a male I think I know a little more than you.

ah yes being a child sexual abuse survivor means one must know nothing but as long as one is cisgendermale then all good

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:31:21
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1989851
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:

PermeateFree said:

sarahs mum said:

Unfortunately, there are so many people around these days just waiting to call every male that even in reply says hello to a child
—-

hmmm.

Na.

Oh yes, and being a male I think I know a little more than you.

Have you been saying hello to random six year-olds at the supermarket again?

“Hello, I am PermeateFree, I keep getting called for saying hello so this must be an every male problem and not special knowledge on my own part…”

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:31:32
From: ms spock
ID: 1989852
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


ms spock said:

PermeateFree said:

You are very big on opinion, but do you have any facts?

I am not going to introduce you to any of the survivors that were raped by Pell. You have already made your mind up.

You are right (because it is true I have not provided any facts) and I am wrong.

That’s usually how this works. We go back to pretending that nothing really happened and I am just a crazy/unreliable person saying bad things about such ever good men. I have been in this movie since I was 8 years old from the first time I disclosed about the sexual abuse at home and at my wonderful Catholic school.

And you know take extra care of your self tonight because these are the very difficult conversations to have. And it is very emotionally charged on both sides. And none of us win agree/disagree/call it a draw.

So if you are feeling as half as upset as I am feeling now. Please know I don’t mean it from a malicious place to say things. I just want truth.

And you also just want truth, and thus you ask the questions and make the comments that you make and ask. It’s not easy and it is brave Peak Warming Man to challenge and ask for more information.

No matter where you stand on this one, it is heartbreaking. So I feel for you and for me, because this is tough going.

So respect Peak Warming Man, and I hope that your playtpus is going well.

Stop trying to demonise me please! You are right you produce no facts only an account of your childhood that is not relevant. I am not interested in your childhood, and it should not be used here as some kind of proof of your convictions. Unfortunately, there are too many people like you who will accuse people of the most horrendous deeds without a scrape of proof, just to satisfy your distorted outlook.

I am curious what distorted outlook would I be satisfying?

I was given the option by my mother that if I came back and lied and said it didn’t happen I could come back and live in the house. The price of telling the truth in these situations are very, very, very high. To disclose is to lose so much.

You asked why people didn’t come forward to testify against Pell. As someone who was sexually abused at home and in the Catholic Church. I thought an explaination of why I couldn’t step forward to go to the police and to the courts might give you some insight of why the survivors of Pell’s sexual abuse might not be able to come forward.

And I know when I disclosed about my father it gave him even more access to even more children as everyone wanted to prove that they trusted him and such a good man in their community couldn’t behave in that manner.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:32:56
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989853
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


PermeateFree said:

ms spock said:

I have never expected prosecuting barristers to provide a good character references for those they prosecute. This is really getting into strawman territory.

I am very sorry if I upset you with facts that are not part of your life or your lived experience. That was not my intent.

I refused to do documentaries or television but I have been part of the sexual abuse communities for a long time. I have been part of these communties for 37 years. I gave my first talk about my lived experience of child sexual abuse when I was 15 at a conference. I have been very active in these communities during different decades of my life.

Survivors do talk to each other and tell each other their stories.

When I found out that a famous person that I thought was a really good person with ethics and morals. I was in shock and upset and didn’t want to believe it. And perhaps this is your experience, I don’t know.

I am going to go now.

My experiences tend to be scientifically based and I try not to come to conclusions purely on emotional considerations. You have completely misrepresented the discussion over Pell by your own experiences that are NOT related. And please stop trying to determine my life experiences as like much of what you detail here are silly tear-jerking attempts to gain support.

I would suggest that you read the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse

It would seem to me, though a learned person in many arenas, that you are not basing your assessments on the facts because you haven’t availed yourself of them. And I seriously wish I was not as conversant with this situation as I am.

I can see that your experiences tend to be scientifically based and it is logical to not come to conclusions purely on emotional considerations. That is why Mr Spock is my favourite Star Trek Character. I have not communicated in a meaningful way with you and I am sorry for that. I didn’t mean to anger or upset you or show disrepect for your scientific methods. For me the discussion over Pell represent by some of my own experiences are related in demonstrating why people don’t go to a police station and proceed to the courts. I thought that would be meaningful to you but I was wrong.

I can only speak from my heart and it seems that really missed the mark with you here because I came across to you as corny and as someone who is attempting silly tear-jerking attempts to gain support. Because I am not someone who garners support on the whole. I don’t maintain connections. Whatever the legacy of the sexual abuse was on me, it definitely impacted on my capacity to be in connection with other people. Apparently it is called disorganised attachment. So I know that there is something off about me in this arena, and I am working on trying to heal that part of myself but I am not there yet.

I am not wanting to garner tear jerking support what I am wanting is intergenerational social change. And if we don’t discuss the hard issues how can that ever happen?

I will stop trying to determine your life experiences, I was trying to build rapport and empathy to try and understand what it is that you are saying to a deeper level and how you came to the conclusions you came to. Once again I missed the mark and came across in a way that doesn’t fit with your scientifically based experiences.

FFS, yes I am guilty of saying things you did not want the hear and that it was you who have been trying to state the facts and not me asking for them. And stop playing the poor little me card who nobody understands, because it is wearing a little thin now.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:35:23
From: ms spock
ID: 1989855
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Unfortunately, there are so many people around these days just waiting to call every male that even in reply says hello to a child
—-

hmmm.

Na.

Of course we are all liars despite the lifelong profound and back breaking struggles, that we live with.

There is almost no benefit to disclosing your sexual abuse and there is every benefit to not speaking up and not disclosing. Like having a home and food to eat. Like being isolated and totally losing your whole family or having a family.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:35:44
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1989856
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:

ms spock said:

PermeateFree said:

My experiences tend to be scientifically based and I try not to come to conclusions purely on emotional considerations. You have completely misrepresented the discussion over Pell by your own experiences that are NOT related. And please stop trying to determine my life experiences as like much of what you detail here are silly tear-jerking attempts to gain support.

I would suggest that you read the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse

It would seem to me, though a learned person in many arenas, that you are not basing your assessments on the facts because you haven’t availed yourself of them. And I seriously wish I was not as conversant with this situation as I am.

I can see that your experiences tend to be scientifically based and it is logical to not come to conclusions purely on emotional considerations. That is why Mr Spock is my favourite Star Trek Character. I have not communicated in a meaningful way with you and I am sorry for that. I didn’t mean to anger or upset you or show disrepect for your scientific methods. For me the discussion over Pell represent by some of my own experiences are related in demonstrating why people don’t go to a police station and proceed to the courts. I thought that would be meaningful to you but I was wrong.

I can only speak from my heart and it seems that really missed the mark with you here because I came across to you as corny and as someone who is attempting silly tear-jerking attempts to gain support. Because I am not someone who garners support on the whole. I don’t maintain connections. Whatever the legacy of the sexual abuse was on me, it definitely impacted on my capacity to be in connection with other people. Apparently it is called disorganised attachment. So I know that there is something off about me in this arena, and I am working on trying to heal that part of myself but I am not there yet.

I am not wanting to garner tear jerking support what I am wanting is intergenerational social change. And if we don’t discuss the hard issues how can that ever happen?

I will stop trying to determine your life experiences, I was trying to build rapport and empathy to try and understand what it is that you are saying to a deeper level and how you came to the conclusions you came to. Once again I missed the mark and came across in a way that doesn’t fit with your scientifically based experiences.

FFS, yes I am guilty of saying things you did not want the hear and that it was you who have been trying to state the facts and not me asking for them. And stop playing the poor little me card who nobody understands, because it is wearing a little thin now.

LOL literally DARVO

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:37:11
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989858
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Four Corners report on Pell included interviews with a number of men who claimed to have been sexually assaulted by him when he was a young priest

He was known as “Big George” by the boys who encountered him in his those days and who warned each other about him.

Actually getting these “holy men” prosecuted for their crimes can be a monumental undertaking. Have a read of the Broken Rites website.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:37:40
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989860
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


PermeateFree said:

sarahs mum said:

Unfortunately, there are so many people around these days just waiting to call every male that even in reply says hello to a child
—-

hmmm.

Na.

Oh yes, and being a male I think I know a little more than you.

Have you been saying hello to random six year-olds at the supermarket again?

:) Yes there was this overly friendly little girl who came and sat on my bench is the supermarket who loudly said hello. I was reading my purchases receipt rather intently so did not have to respond to her periodic chatter. Such interactions I try to avoid.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:39:03
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1989863
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

PermeateFree said:

Oh yes, and being a male I think I know a little more than you.

Have you been saying hello to random six year-olds at the supermarket again?

:) Yes there was this overly friendly little girl who came and sat on my bench is the supermarket who loudly said hello. I was reading my purchases receipt rather intently so did not have to respond to her periodic chatter. Such interactions I try to avoid.

didn’t say hello but being a male thinks he knows more than people who didn’t say hello

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:40:10
From: ms spock
ID: 1989864
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


ms spock said:

PermeateFree said:

You are not on Facebook, but a science base forum. If you have any evidence then produce it, but I am finding your tear-jerking replies not relevant.

It is true I am not on Facebook, but there are different Facebook groups run by survivors of sexual abuse of different priests, such as Pell for survivors of such priests.

I understand. There is no point in us discussing this further.

But consider your very attitude – if you had been sexually abused by a family priest for a decade and you heard what you have said tonight and you have serious emotional vulnerabilities due to that child rape, would you be more or less likely to disclose that sexual abuse?

I called you Peak Warming Man and I apologise to both you and PWM. I got confused.

Please go a cry on some other person’s shoulder, we all have had our problems and I don’t need yours as well.

Absolutely Permeate Free, I would not even consider crying on your shoulder. You definitely don’t need my problems as well. I respect that.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:42:21
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1989866
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

Unfortunately, there are so many people around these days just waiting to call every male that even in reply says hello to a child
—-

hmmm.

Na.

Of course we are all liars despite the lifelong profound and back breaking struggles, that we live with.

There is almost no benefit to disclosing your sexual abuse and there is every benefit to not speaking up and not disclosing. Like having a home and food to eat. Like being isolated and totally losing your whole family or having a family.

You must walk around with a bucket to catch all your tears.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:48:01
From: ms spock
ID: 1989868
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


ms spock said:

Dear BTM,

I hope that I have not upset you or caused you harm and/or distress. I had no idea that the conversation would develop in this manner.

And this might be a space where you keep out of your mind the support that you give others that have suffered so much.

So sending good wishes and I presume that people have read the Royal Commission and have more knowledge than they sometimes have.

When I was 15 I thought we would be way much further away along then we are, so much respect for you for those that your support who suffered at Pell’s hands. A most worthy and heart breaking task.

Thanks, ms spock. You didn’t upset me, but PF did. I’ve read the RC’s report (I gave evidence to it,) but not sure I’ve got more information than you. Your posts here make me think you’re much stronger than me.

I keep hoping that we, as a society. can stop this from happening, but it seems to be getting worse.

Sending good wishes to you, too.

Wow kudos to you for testifying at the Royal Commission btm. That’s really huge!

I did consider testifying but I was unable to even walk in the door for the intial statement. You are amazingly strong!

So much respect and thank you btm for having your saying for the so many survivors, like me, that didn’t even manage to walk in the door. I wasn’t strong enough to do that.

I am sure you know way more than me btm. But that is good as I can learn from you.

I am so passionate about intergenerational social change. Like you btm, I keep hoping that we, as a society can stop this from happening, but it seems the denial is getting stronger and in some ways I agree, to be getting worse.

I was talking to a psychiatrist who teaches psychiatrists to be trauma informed and she told me that the research shows that 96% of the allegations of child sexual abuse are found to be credible. I am really going to have to follow up and get a copy of that.

Thanks for the good wishes, gratefully accepted btm.

This was definitely not the conversation I thought I would be having tonight.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 20:50:25
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989870
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Take two.
I’ve got choc coated ice-cream on a stick (known as haveahearts when I were lad) and I’ll probably have two and you can’t stop me.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 21:03:04
From: ms spock
ID: 1989876
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


The Four Corners report on Pell included interviews with a number of men who claimed to have been sexually assaulted by him when he was a young priest

He was known as “Big George” by the boys who encountered him in his those days and who warned each other about him.

Actually getting these “holy men” prosecuted for their crimes can be a monumental undertaking. Have a read of the Broken Rites website.

Heya Mr Car…

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 21:16:21
From: ms spock
ID: 1989879
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Take two.
I’ve got choc coated ice-cream on a stick (known as haveahearts when I were lad) and I’ll probably have two and you can’t stop me.

Sounds great! I hope that you enjoy them!

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 22:18:31
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1989894
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Taken when it was raining fairly heavily here. The rain seems to have sucked the colour out of nearly everything further away than the fence, and also blurred the photo a little so it’s a bit like it’s a painting.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 22:41:33
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1989899
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Taken when it was raining fairly heavily here. The rain seems to have sucked the colour out of nearly everything further away than the fence, and also blurred the photo a little so it’s a bit like it’s a painting.


Needs some rainy day music to accompany (actually a nocturne):

Chopin Nocturnes, Op. 48: No. 1 in C Minor. Lento performed by Earl Wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81cfzu3XEhY

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 22:53:35
From: transition
ID: 1989900
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

bidibie

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 23:04:34
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1989902
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 2/02/2023 23:20:06
From: transition
ID: 1989904
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I tells ya this’s a nice cup of tea

has me a few sweet biscuits with, dunked ya know

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 00:18:02
From: ms spock
ID: 1989921
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


I tells ya this’s a nice cup of tea

has me a few sweet biscuits with, dunked ya know

It is in that dunking of a few sweet biscuits that a lot of joy and satisfaction can be head transition.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 01:41:27
From: Kingy
ID: 1989925
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Just got home from a funeral and a wake for a fallen firey.

It’s been a busy few days at work, but I had to knock off early, find my dress shirt and bling in order to be a part of the procession.

As it turned out, I had to stand to attention as the hearse drove by.

There was a LOT of DFES people there.

I wasn’t expecting to be important, I just want to go home and hide. Luckily there were a lot of more important people than me were there, so i was able to go and find someone in the corner and have a chat.

Vale Rob Bootsma.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 02:04:50
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989926
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Just got home from a funeral and a wake for a fallen firey.

It’s been a busy few days at work, but I had to knock off early, find my dress shirt and bling in order to be a part of the procession.

As it turned out, I had to stand to attention as the hearse drove by.

There was a LOT of DFES people there.

I wasn’t expecting to be important, I just want to go home and hide. Luckily there were a lot of more important people than me were there, so i was able to go and find someone in the corner and have a chat.

Vale Rob Bootsma.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 02:33:11
From: dv
ID: 1989928
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Hey what’s happening with the cool kids?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 02:36:26
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989930
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Hey what’s happening with the cool kids?

It’s more cold than cool. About 4 or 5 degrees. Silly summer stuff.

Howzit with you?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 02:43:13
From: dv
ID: 1989931
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


dv said:

Hey what’s happening with the cool kids?

It’s more cold than cool. About 4 or 5 degrees. Silly summer stuff.

Howzit with you?

Pretty hot today

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 02:46:34
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989932
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Stadium at Mac Point – the new hot topic
Newsletter no.64 from Cr Anna Reynolds
27 January 2023

https://mailchi.mp/cf52d054ef05/how-to-spend-a-billion-bucks-in-hobart

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 03:17:45
From: kii
ID: 1989938
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Strange noise disturbed Gracie, the cat and me at 4am-ish. Mainly strange because Gracie didn’t bark, just very alert. It sounded like a wheezy, rasping, groaning person. I thought it was Grace or the cat at first – they both snore with allergies. After checking out windows and a brief look out the front door I called 911. Supposedly they sent someone to check.

After listening to it when I was outside, it was definitely human.
The 911 operator asked if I had looked around outside to check if it was a person…I’m like…no…..I’m not going to look around outside.

I received 2 texts from them with a follow up phone number and a survey. So that’s good.

Waiting for shopping to be delivered, hopefully the Vegetarian Green Chile Tamales arrive with the order this week.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 03:22:29
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989939
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Strange noise disturbed Gracie, the cat and me at 4am-ish. Mainly strange because Gracie didn’t bark, just very alert. It sounded like a wheezy, rasping, groaning person. I thought it was Grace or the cat at first – they both snore with allergies. After checking out windows and a brief look out the front door I called 911. Supposedly they sent someone to check.

After listening to it when I was outside, it was definitely human.
The 911 operator asked if I had looked around outside to check if it was a person…I’m like…no…..I’m not going to look around outside.

I received 2 texts from them with a follow up phone number and a survey. So that’s good.

Waiting for shopping to be delivered, hopefully the Vegetarian Green Chile Tamales arrive with the order this week.

That’s odd. And also quite unnerving i suppose.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 03:25:01
From: kii
ID: 1989941
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


kii said:

Strange noise disturbed Gracie, the cat and me at 4am-ish. Mainly strange because Gracie didn’t bark, just very alert. It sounded like a wheezy, rasping, groaning person. I thought it was Grace or the cat at first – they both snore with allergies. After checking out windows and a brief look out the front door I called 911. Supposedly they sent someone to check.

After listening to it when I was outside, it was definitely human.
The 911 operator asked if I had looked around outside to check if it was a person…I’m like…no…..I’m not going to look around outside.

I received 2 texts from them with a follow up phone number and a survey. So that’s good.

Waiting for shopping to be delivered, hopefully the Vegetarian Green Chile Tamales arrive with the order this week.

That’s odd. And also quite unnerving i suppose.

Yes, I’ll call them soon and hopefully get an update. It might have been a homeless person in distress, I really didn’t want to call at first, because police and stuff. It was also below freezing at 4am.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 03:29:46
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989943
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


sarahs mum said:

kii said:

Strange noise disturbed Gracie, the cat and me at 4am-ish. Mainly strange because Gracie didn’t bark, just very alert. It sounded like a wheezy, rasping, groaning person. I thought it was Grace or the cat at first – they both snore with allergies. After checking out windows and a brief look out the front door I called 911. Supposedly they sent someone to check.

After listening to it when I was outside, it was definitely human.
The 911 operator asked if I had looked around outside to check if it was a person…I’m like…no…..I’m not going to look around outside.

I received 2 texts from them with a follow up phone number and a survey. So that’s good.

Waiting for shopping to be delivered, hopefully the Vegetarian Green Chile Tamales arrive with the order this week.

That’s odd. And also quite unnerving i suppose.

Yes, I’ll call them soon and hopefully get an update. It might have been a homeless person in distress, I really didn’t want to call at first, because police and stuff. It was also below freezing at 4am.

It’s 5ish degrees here. Happy summer stuff. I’ve just yelled at Paisley for scratching on the door to come in and then refusing to come in. what she wants is the door left open. But its 3.30 and it’s cold and she is not in charge.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 03:30:47
From: kii
ID: 1989944
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


kii said:

sarahs mum said:

That’s odd. And also quite unnerving i suppose.

Yes, I’ll call them soon and hopefully get an update. It might have been a homeless person in distress, I really didn’t want to call at first, because police and stuff. It was also below freezing at 4am.

It’s 5ish degrees here. Happy summer stuff. I’ve just yelled at Paisley for scratching on the door to come in and then refusing to come in. what she wants is the door left open. But its 3.30 and it’s cold and she is not in charge.

Lolol….are you sure she’s not a cat?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 03:33:01
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989945
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


sarahs mum said:

kii said:

Yes, I’ll call them soon and hopefully get an update. It might have been a homeless person in distress, I really didn’t want to call at first, because police and stuff. It was also below freezing at 4am.

It’s 5ish degrees here. Happy summer stuff. I’ve just yelled at Paisley for scratching on the door to come in and then refusing to come in. what she wants is the door left open. But its 3.30 and it’s cold and she is not in charge.

Lolol….are you sure she’s not a cat?

self centred enough to be feline.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 03:36:32
From: kii
ID: 1989946
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


kii said:

sarahs mum said:

It’s 5ish degrees here. Happy summer stuff. I’ve just yelled at Paisley for scratching on the door to come in and then refusing to come in. what she wants is the door left open. But its 3.30 and it’s cold and she is not in charge.

Lolol….are you sure she’s not a cat?

self centred enough to be feline.

Speaking of dogs….the next door noisy sausage dog, Frank, moved out a few weeks back. I noticed a handyman putting up an 8ft fence in the side passageway. Apparently a German Shepherd is moving in – with some people. So….I’ve got that to look forward to.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 03:53:09
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1989947
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


sarahs mum said:

kii said:

Lolol….are you sure she’s not a cat?

self centred enough to be feline.

Speaking of dogs….the next door noisy sausage dog, Frank, moved out a few weeks back. I noticed a handyman putting up an 8ft fence in the side passageway. Apparently a German Shepherd is moving in – with some people. So….I’ve got that to look forward to.

at least you have a way out

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 05:22:12
From: transition
ID: 1989948
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Spiny Norman said:

Taken when it was raining fairly heavily here. The rain seems to have sucked the colour out of nearly everything further away than the fence, and also blurred the photo a little so it’s a bit like it’s a painting.


Needs some rainy day music to accompany (actually a nocturne):

Chopin Nocturnes, Op. 48: No. 1 in C Minor. Lento performed by Earl Wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81cfzu3XEhY

https://youtu.be/32FpqysC1PY?t=1558

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 06:59:23
From: buffy
ID: 1989949
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 5 degrees and overcast. We have had rain overnight. Lovely wet ground and puddles. We are forecast a showery 15 and the wind is expected to return.

We are going to the bush to pick up the tractor and bring it back for servicing. This excursion will take some hours. I may do a short wander, but I’m not keen on walking in the rain in the bush. You don’t only get wet from above, you get wet from the ground/bracken and from the bushes.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 07:51:46
From: buffy
ID: 1989950
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC news quiz

7/10. Two guesses were right. Obviously some others were wrong…

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 07:59:07
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989951
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


ABC news quiz

7/10. Two guesses were right. Obviously some others were wrong…

I got 8/10 because I didn’t know anything about American TV or Indie rock.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 08:00:25
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1989952
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


ABC news quiz

7/10. Two guesses were right. Obviously some others were wrong…

We mortals sometimes get things wrong even when we aren’t guessing.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 08:12:37
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989953
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Radioactive capsule in WA has been found, but what would happen if you put it in your pocket?

Any damage would depend on the potency of the radioactive source.

But if the level was high enough, the exposure of having a radioactive source in your pocket could lead to leg amputation, or even death.

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 08:40:36
From: ms spock
ID: 1989956
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Beannachtaí gach duine! Lá maith ag foghlaim na Gaeilge inniu!

Greetings one and all! A good day for learning Irish today!

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 08:41:46
From: ms spock
ID: 1989957
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Just got home from a funeral and a wake for a fallen firey.

It’s been a busy few days at work, but I had to knock off early, find my dress shirt and bling in order to be a part of the procession.

As it turned out, I had to stand to attention as the hearse drove by.

There was a LOT of DFES people there.

I wasn’t expecting to be important, I just want to go home and hide. Luckily there were a lot of more important people than me were there, so i was able to go and find someone in the corner and have a chat.

Vale Rob Bootsma.

Sorry to read that Kingy.

I hope that you are okay!

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 08:42:19
From: ms spock
ID: 1989958
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


sarahs mum said:

dv said:

Hey what’s happening with the cool kids?

It’s more cold than cool. About 4 or 5 degrees. Silly summer stuff.

Howzit with you?

Pretty hot today

+1

Almost too hot to go outside and do gardening already.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 08:44:19
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989959
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Hey what’s happening with the cool kids?

stuff. exciting stuff.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 08:47:44
From: ms spock
ID: 1989960
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Strange noise disturbed Gracie, the cat and me at 4am-ish. Mainly strange because Gracie didn’t bark, just very alert. It sounded like a wheezy, rasping, groaning person. I thought it was Grace or the cat at first – they both snore with allergies. After checking out windows and a brief look out the front door I called 911. Supposedly they sent someone to check.

After listening to it when I was outside, it was definitely human.
The 911 operator asked if I had looked around outside to check if it was a person…I’m like…no…..I’m not going to look around outside.

I received 2 texts from them with a follow up phone number and a survey. So that’s good.

Waiting for shopping to be delivered, hopefully the Vegetarian Green Chile Tamales arrive with the order this week.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 08:48:51
From: ms spock
ID: 1989961
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


sarahs mum said:

kii said:

Yes, I’ll call them soon and hopefully get an update. It might have been a homeless person in distress, I really didn’t want to call at first, because police and stuff. It was also below freezing at 4am.

It’s 5ish degrees here. Happy summer stuff. I’ve just yelled at Paisley for scratching on the door to come in and then refusing to come in. what she wants is the door left open. But its 3.30 and it’s cold and she is not in charge.

Lolol….are you sure she’s not a cat?

:)

+1

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 08:49:34
From: ms spock
ID: 1989962
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


sarahs mum said:

kii said:

Lolol….are you sure she’s not a cat?

self centred enough to be feline.

Speaking of dogs….the next door noisy sausage dog, Frank, moved out a few weeks back. I noticed a handyman putting up an 8ft fence in the side passageway. Apparently a German Shepherd is moving in – with some people. So….I’ve got that to look forward to.

Oh dear…

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 08:51:41
From: ms spock
ID: 1989963
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Good morning Holidayers. Presently 5 degrees and overcast. We have had rain overnight. Lovely wet ground and puddles. We are forecast a showery 15 and the wind is expected to return.

We are going to the bush to pick up the tractor and bring it back for servicing. This excursion will take some hours. I may do a short wander, but I’m not keen on walking in the rain in the bush. You don’t only get wet from above, you get wet from the ground/bracken and from the bushes.

And there’s the ticks – do you get the ticks down your way?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 08:56:49
From: ms spock
ID: 1989964
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

roughbarked said:

May your life be bubbles of happiness.


Ah na boilgeoga sonas! (Ah the bubbles of happiness!)

Boilgeoga crochta (bubbles of hangover)

:)

Ní ólaim ach is féidir liom pian na boilgeoga póite a shamhlú!
I don’t drink but I can imagine the pain of the bubbles of hangover!

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 09:17:30
From: roughbarked
ID: 1989966
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

More things from my camera.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 09:17:35
From: ms spock
ID: 1989967
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ms spock said:

roughbarked said:

May your life be bubbles of happiness.


Ah na boilgeoga sonas! (Ah the bubbles of happiness!)

Ms Spock, what are you using for a guide to pronouncing the Irish words? Are you getting advice from a fluent speaker, or is there something built in to your instructional material?

I am going to be studying with some native speakers Captain Spalding. My first class is today! I am so excited! Pronunciation is really tricky and there are three/four dialects as well.

How many Irish dialects are there?

There are three primary dialects of Irish:

Munster, spoken in the southern part of the island (Counties Cork, Kerry, and Clare).

Connacht, spoken in the western part of the island (primarily Counties Galway, Mayo, and Sligo).

Ulster, spoken in the northern part of the island (Mostly in County Donegal, but also in parts of Monaghan, Cavan, Derry, Antrim, Down, Armagh, Fermanagh, and Tyrone).

There used to be a fourth regional dialect — Leinster Irish, spoken in the eastern part of the island — but Leinster Irish has died out as a distinct dialect. :(((((

https://www.bitesize.irish/blog/irish-dialects/

So far I am doing Duolingo Irish Gaelic, which has both spoken and written elements.

Just started to listening to Bitesize Irish on YouTube where the prouniciation is written out so you can see it in relationship to the spelling of Irish, which is very, very, very different to the spelling of the Irish.

I am listening as much as I can as well to Irish speaking radio stations, Irish speaking TV station as well as one resource which is surprisingly useful and that is the Irish news read out slowly – so you can see the pronunciation in contrast to the spelling. I understand one or two words here and there. I have a very basic vocabularly of about 50 words! LOL

I am also watching Ros na Run – which is a Irish speaking soap opera, and some episodes have subtitles and some don’t. So I am hearing one or two words here and there.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 10:21:58
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989971
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning punters and correctors.
Today I’ll be doing……………………..umm………………..bugger all.
Might do a spot of mowing in the cool of the gloaming later on.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 10:55:11
From: sibeen
ID: 1989976
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


ABC news quiz

7/10. Two guesses were right. Obviously some others were wrong…

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 10:56:22
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1989977
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


buffy said:

ABC news quiz

7/10. Two guesses were right. Obviously some others were wrong…


If you’re ‘perfect’ at 9/10, what does 10/10 get you?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 11:05:05
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1989978
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


sibeen said:

buffy said:

ABC news quiz

7/10. Two guesses were right. Obviously some others were wrong…


If you’re ‘perfect’ at 9/10, what does 10/10 get you?

a gold watch as big as a banjo.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 11:06:15
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1989979
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


ABC news quiz

7/10. Two guesses were right. Obviously some others were wrong…

5/10 Very poor half smart result. Can do better.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 11:06:24
From: Cymek
ID: 1989980
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Greetings

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 11:10:47
From: Cymek
ID: 1989982
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


buffy said:

ABC news quiz

7/10. Two guesses were right. Obviously some others were wrong…

5/10 Very poor half smart result. Can do better.

7/10 and a number were guesses some educated

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 11:42:35
From: btm
ID: 1989992
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

ABC news quiz

7/10. Two guesses were right. Obviously some others were wrong…

5/10 Very poor half smart result. Can do better.

7/10 and a number were guesses some educated

10/10, with 7 guesses.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 11:49:24
From: ms spock
ID: 1989993
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


Cymek said:

Peak Warming Man said:

5/10 Very poor half smart result. Can do better.

7/10 and a number were guesses some educated

10/10, with 7 guesses.

LOL I don’t get that much with guesses!

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 12:04:26
From: ms spock
ID: 1989998
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I turned up 24 hours early! The teacher jumped on so that was hilarious! LMAO ROFL LOL!

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 12:06:59
From: transition
ID: 1990000
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

and back from momentary internetlessness, provider apparently (temporally I hope) deprived us of ~10GB last third of data that would have provided uninterrupted service, a glitch of some sort, their computer probably developed self-awareness and got a hunch about how the whole thing works

whatever a recharge happened, more money was fed into the machine, it works

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 12:12:02
From: transition
ID: 1990002
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


and back from momentary internetlessness, provider apparently (temporally I hope) deprived us of ~10GB last third of data that would have provided uninterrupted service, a glitch of some sort, their computer probably developed self-awareness and got a hunch about how the whole thing works

whatever a recharge happened, more money was fed into the machine, it works

perhaps it was data deflation in response to inflation, about 33%

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 12:22:36
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990006
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 12:26:29
From: ms spock
ID: 1990008
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



Wow go bhfuil an phéintéireacht ag teacht ar aghaidh go deas!
Wow that painting is coming along nicely!

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 12:27:56
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990009
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:


Wow go bhfuil an phéintéireacht ag teacht ar aghaidh go deas!
Wow that painting is coming along nicely!

we were just talking about glazing some bluey browny green into the water. she’s afraid. i understand.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 12:34:02
From: buffy
ID: 1990010
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Back for lunch. We’ve been to Digby and the Bobcat is now in the shed here.

And the car trailer is ready to go back to the place in Hamilton ($60 for a day hire).

I did a really quick wander while Mr buffy did the tiedowns. Found three hyacinth orchids in flower and one that I’d seen before and is still going Here is one of them.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 12:34:07
From: ms spock
ID: 1990011
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:


Wow go bhfuil an phéintéireacht ag teacht ar aghaidh go deas!
Wow that painting is coming along nicely!

we were just talking about glazing some bluey browny green into the water. she’s afraid. i understand.

It’s a big risk.

It could pay off.

But then it’s already so alive.

I find these decisions a bit nail baiting, apart from my general inability to make decisions.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 12:37:59
From: buffy
ID: 1990012
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


buffy said:

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 5 degrees and overcast. We have had rain overnight. Lovely wet ground and puddles. We are forecast a showery 15 and the wind is expected to return.

We are going to the bush to pick up the tractor and bring it back for servicing. This excursion will take some hours. I may do a short wander, but I’m not keen on walking in the rain in the bush. You don’t only get wet from above, you get wet from the ground/bracken and from the bushes.

And there’s the ticks – do you get the ticks down your way?

No.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 12:48:38
From: buffy
ID: 1990014
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OK, we are off again. Taking the car trailer back now.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 12:51:38
From: ms spock
ID: 1990015
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


ms spock said:

buffy said:

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 5 degrees and overcast. We have had rain overnight. Lovely wet ground and puddles. We are forecast a showery 15 and the wind is expected to return.

We are going to the bush to pick up the tractor and bring it back for servicing. This excursion will take some hours. I may do a short wander, but I’m not keen on walking in the rain in the bush. You don’t only get wet from above, you get wet from the ground/bracken and from the bushes.

And there’s the ticks – do you get the ticks down your way?

No.

That is such a relief. We get ticks and there’s meant to be a tick season, but with the weather changes they seem to be all year round.

Spiny Norman swells up like a balloon.

Looks like some serious machinery for some serious work buffy!

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 12:52:55
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990017
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Hey, buffy,

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 12:56:35
From: Michael V
ID: 1990020
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:


Wow go bhfuil an phéintéireacht ag teacht ar aghaidh go deas!
Wow that painting is coming along nicely!

we were just talking about glazing some bluey browny green into the water. she’s afraid. i understand.

What does that involve?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 13:03:38
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990022
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

ms spock said:

Wow go bhfuil an phéintéireacht ag teacht ar aghaidh go deas!
Wow that painting is coming along nicely!

we were just talking about glazing some bluey browny green into the water. she’s afraid. i understand.

What does that involve?

it’s using a bit of paint in a lot of medium. washing it over so you can still see the layer underneath.

In water colour you would be mixing a little pigment with water and washing it over.

it’s this browny green pattern on the water,

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 13:05:03
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990025
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Back for lunch. We’ve been to Digby and the Bobcat is now in the shed here.

And the car trailer is ready to go back to the place in Hamilton ($60 for a day hire).

I did a really quick wander while Mr buffy did the tiedowns. Found three hyacinth orchids in flower and one that I’d seen before and is still going Here is one of them.


Hang on, hang on, where did this here Bobcat come from?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 13:11:08
From: Michael V
ID: 1990031
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

we were just talking about glazing some bluey browny green into the water. she’s afraid. i understand.

What does that involve?

it’s using a bit of paint in a lot of medium. washing it over so you can still see the layer underneath.

In water colour you would be mixing a little pigment with water and washing it over.

it’s this browny green pattern on the water,


Thanks for explaining.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 13:53:43
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990035
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

John West wild caught tuna in naturally pressed virgin olive oil with fresh caucasian bread and butter.
Over.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 14:00:08
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990038
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cannabis Hub
13 h ·
High Times “Top Strains of 1977”

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 14:05:55
From: ms spock
ID: 1990039
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Captain Spalding did you see my explanation about dialects and native speakers?

I turned up one day early for one class but fortunately that meant as I was around I was on time for another class! I knew about 8 words.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 14:07:41
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1990041
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Minerals are crucial for electric cars and wind turbines. Some worry whether we have enough.

Minerals are crucial for electric cars, wind turbines, and solar panels. Some worry whether the future supply can meet the rising demand.

By Shannon Osaka
February 2, 2023 at 6:30 a.m. EST

Over 20 years ago, two geologists made a stark prediction in Scientific American: “Probably within 10 years,” they wrote, “global production of conventional oil will begin to decline.” This argument, which became known as “peak oil,” captured public attention for well over a decade, sparking worries that abundant reserves of oil would give way to scarcity, runs on gas stations and sky-high inflation.

Peak oil, however, never came to pass. U.S. oil production increased far beyond the peak oil predictions, thanks to the increased use of “fracking” and other production methods. The term faded out of use, and concerns about oil shifted from a fear of running out of oil to fears of runaway global warming.

Now, as the world begins to slowly shift to renewable energy sources, there is a new focus on the materials that will be required to build electric vehicles, solar panels, wind turbines and much more. According to the International Energy Agency, the average electric car requires six times the mineral inputs of a conventional gas-powered car; an offshore wind-turbine, meanwhile, requires nine times the mineral inputs of a typical gas-fired power plant.

So, will we run out?
There is no doubt that clean energy — that is, solar, wind, geothermal, nuclear and other sources that do not produce greenhouse gas emissions — requires more mineral inputs than power plants run on fossil fuels. The IEA estimates that if the world builds enough renewable energy to meet the goals established in the 2015 Paris Agreement, mineral demand will double or quadruple in the next 20 years. Countries will need copper for power and transmission lines, lithium for batteries, silicon for solar panels and zinc for wind turbines.

But there are a few reasons to think that — even as the world prepares to mine huge quantities of minerals — we won’t run out anytime soon.

Abigail Wulf, vice president of critical minerals for Securing America’s Future Energy (SAFE), a D.C.-based energy think tank, says that when minerals become valuable enough, people get motivated.

“It all has to do with economics,” she said. “If people get super desperate for these minerals, they will find very creative ways to find them.”

The first is that there is a difference between the available reserves of a mineral and the resources of that mineral. Reserves are the amount of a mineral that humans know they can efficiently and economically mine. Resources are a best guess of the total amount of that mineral available in the world — whether they are cost-effective to mine or not.

Take cobalt, for example — a key ingredient in the lithium-ion batteries that power electric cars, smartphones and other electronics. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, there are approximately 7.6 million tons of cobalt reserves worldwide. But the total cobalt resources far exceed this number: The USGS estimates that there are 25 million tons of cobalt resources available from the earth’s surface and 120 million tons of cobalt on the sea floor.

And those numbers tend to increase. Ten years ago, world cobalt reserves were estimated at 7.5 million tons and resources were only estimated to be about 15 million tons. As a commodity becomes more valuable, two things happen simultaneously: Reserves increase, as previously uneconomical resources become economical. And resources increase as well, as governments and companies put more effort into mapping and exploring minerals in the earth’s crust and on the sea floor. In 2012, the world’s lithium reserves sat at 13 million tons; now, they’re around 22 million tons. During that same period, the world’s estimated lithium resources more than doubled — from 40 to 88 million tons.

Companies are already touting the discoveries of new deposits of critical minerals. A Swedish state-owned mining company last month announced a deposit of 1 million tons of rare earth metals in the Lapland province. U.S. companies have also recently claimed discoveries of new deposits in Wyoming and Montana.

Recent research has also shown that the amount of minerals required for the shift to renewable energy is significant — but falls well within the amount of reserves available. A study released recently by scientists at the University of California at Irvine and MIT found that current reserves of minerals like aluminum, copper, manganese, silver and more should support building enough wind and solar power to meet climate targets.

What’s more, the mining from those operations would not have an outsize impact on global warming. (One repeated critique of renewable energy is that the intensity of mining might counteract the emissions benefits of wind and solar.) According to the study, the materials required for the transition to low-carbon electricity would take up somewhere between 1 and 9 percent of the remaining carbon budget: a significant amount but one that wouldn’t undercut overall climate goals.

“The emissions to produce a refined ton of steel or aluminum to meet all of this demand would not really threaten global carbon budgets,” said Seaver Wang, the co-director of climate and energy at the energy think tank the Breakthrough Institute and the lead author on the paper. (The study focused on electricity generation. The researchers did not look at the mineral requirements for transportation or electric vehicles.)

The larger problem may be not whether the world as a whole has enough critical minerals — but whether they are available quickly enough and in the right places. Minerals are not distributed equally around the globe — for example, much of the cobalt mined right now is from the Democratic Republic of Congo, most of the rare earths are mined in China, and much of the lithium is mined in Australia. China also dominates the world’s processing of critical minerals: 80 percent of rare earth metals, over 60 percent of cobalt and over 50 percent of lithium are processed there. According to a recent analysis by the USGS, the United States relies on imports for almost 50 percent of the minerals it consumes.

Wang said that there will probably be enough minerals — and that the environmental impacts of mining them should pale in comparison to the damages of fossil fuels. (Humanity “mines” billions of tons of fossil fuels from the ground every year; even a huge increase in mineral mining will only be millions of tons.)

But much still has to be done to ensure mining is safe for ecosystems and the people that will surround them. “The bottom line is that if a lot of these commodities are really going to be as hot as people say, there ought to be enough economic benefit to ensure that more goes to the community and to the workers,” Wang said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/02/02/critical-minerals-run-out-shortage/?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 14:08:49
From: ms spock
ID: 1990043
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Cannabis Hub
13 h ·
High Times “Top Strains of 1977”

Were you some hot shot in the cannabis world at some time sarahs mum?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 14:10:30
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990044
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

Cannabis Hub
13 h ·
High Times “Top Strains of 1977”

Were you some hot shot in the cannabis world at some time sarahs mum?

no. but i remember some of those. also…these look pathetic in comparison to today’s cultivars. So someone has been working hard on genetics.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 14:12:31
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990045
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Cannabis Hub
13 h ·
High Times “Top Strains of 1977”

Scrawny looking buds.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 14:13:15
From: Cymek
ID: 1990046
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Minerals are crucial for electric cars and wind turbines. Some worry whether we have enough.

Minerals are crucial for electric cars, wind turbines, and solar panels. Some worry whether the future supply can meet the rising demand.

By Shannon Osaka
February 2, 2023 at 6:30 a.m. EST

Over 20 years ago, two geologists made a stark prediction in Scientific American: “Probably within 10 years,” they wrote, “global production of conventional oil will begin to decline.” This argument, which became known as “peak oil,” captured public attention for well over a decade, sparking worries that abundant reserves of oil would give way to scarcity, runs on gas stations and sky-high inflation.

Peak oil, however, never came to pass. U.S. oil production increased far beyond the peak oil predictions, thanks to the increased use of “fracking” and other production methods. The term faded out of use, and concerns about oil shifted from a fear of running out of oil to fears of runaway global warming.

Now, as the world begins to slowly shift to renewable energy sources, there is a new focus on the materials that will be required to build electric vehicles, solar panels, wind turbines and much more. According to the International Energy Agency, the average electric car requires six times the mineral inputs of a conventional gas-powered car; an offshore wind-turbine, meanwhile, requires nine times the mineral inputs of a typical gas-fired power plant.

So, will we run out?
There is no doubt that clean energy — that is, solar, wind, geothermal, nuclear and other sources that do not produce greenhouse gas emissions — requires more mineral inputs than power plants run on fossil fuels. The IEA estimates that if the world builds enough renewable energy to meet the goals established in the 2015 Paris Agreement, mineral demand will double or quadruple in the next 20 years. Countries will need copper for power and transmission lines, lithium for batteries, silicon for solar panels and zinc for wind turbines.

But there are a few reasons to think that — even as the world prepares to mine huge quantities of minerals — we won’t run out anytime soon.

Abigail Wulf, vice president of critical minerals for Securing America’s Future Energy (SAFE), a D.C.-based energy think tank, says that when minerals become valuable enough, people get motivated.

“It all has to do with economics,” she said. “If people get super desperate for these minerals, they will find very creative ways to find them.”

The first is that there is a difference between the available reserves of a mineral and the resources of that mineral. Reserves are the amount of a mineral that humans know they can efficiently and economically mine. Resources are a best guess of the total amount of that mineral available in the world — whether they are cost-effective to mine or not.

Take cobalt, for example — a key ingredient in the lithium-ion batteries that power electric cars, smartphones and other electronics. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, there are approximately 7.6 million tons of cobalt reserves worldwide. But the total cobalt resources far exceed this number: The USGS estimates that there are 25 million tons of cobalt resources available from the earth’s surface and 120 million tons of cobalt on the sea floor.

And those numbers tend to increase. Ten years ago, world cobalt reserves were estimated at 7.5 million tons and resources were only estimated to be about 15 million tons. As a commodity becomes more valuable, two things happen simultaneously: Reserves increase, as previously uneconomical resources become economical. And resources increase as well, as governments and companies put more effort into mapping and exploring minerals in the earth’s crust and on the sea floor. In 2012, the world’s lithium reserves sat at 13 million tons; now, they’re around 22 million tons. During that same period, the world’s estimated lithium resources more than doubled — from 40 to 88 million tons.

Companies are already touting the discoveries of new deposits of critical minerals. A Swedish state-owned mining company last month announced a deposit of 1 million tons of rare earth metals in the Lapland province. U.S. companies have also recently claimed discoveries of new deposits in Wyoming and Montana.

Recent research has also shown that the amount of minerals required for the shift to renewable energy is significant — but falls well within the amount of reserves available. A study released recently by scientists at the University of California at Irvine and MIT found that current reserves of minerals like aluminum, copper, manganese, silver and more should support building enough wind and solar power to meet climate targets.

What’s more, the mining from those operations would not have an outsize impact on global warming. (One repeated critique of renewable energy is that the intensity of mining might counteract the emissions benefits of wind and solar.) According to the study, the materials required for the transition to low-carbon electricity would take up somewhere between 1 and 9 percent of the remaining carbon budget: a significant amount but one that wouldn’t undercut overall climate goals.

“The emissions to produce a refined ton of steel or aluminum to meet all of this demand would not really threaten global carbon budgets,” said Seaver Wang, the co-director of climate and energy at the energy think tank the Breakthrough Institute and the lead author on the paper. (The study focused on electricity generation. The researchers did not look at the mineral requirements for transportation or electric vehicles.)

The larger problem may be not whether the world as a whole has enough critical minerals — but whether they are available quickly enough and in the right places. Minerals are not distributed equally around the globe — for example, much of the cobalt mined right now is from the Democratic Republic of Congo, most of the rare earths are mined in China, and much of the lithium is mined in Australia. China also dominates the world’s processing of critical minerals: 80 percent of rare earth metals, over 60 percent of cobalt and over 50 percent of lithium are processed there. According to a recent analysis by the USGS, the United States relies on imports for almost 50 percent of the minerals it consumes.

Wang said that there will probably be enough minerals — and that the environmental impacts of mining them should pale in comparison to the damages of fossil fuels. (Humanity “mines” billions of tons of fossil fuels from the ground every year; even a huge increase in mineral mining will only be millions of tons.)

But much still has to be done to ensure mining is safe for ecosystems and the people that will surround them. “The bottom line is that if a lot of these commodities are really going to be as hot as people say, there ought to be enough economic benefit to ensure that more goes to the community and to the workers,” Wang said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/02/02/critical-minerals-run-out-shortage/?

Asteroids and the moon if we are really desperate
I wonder what the actual real amount of these resources exist on the planet, those way out of reach for whatever reason.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 14:14:48
From: ms spock
ID: 1990048
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

Cannabis Hub
13 h ·
High Times “Top Strains of 1977”

Were you some hot shot in the cannabis world at some time sarahs mum?

no. but i remember some of those. also…these look pathetic in comparison to today’s cultivars. So someone has been working hard on genetics.

They have indeed been working hard on genetics. Apparently there are sampling parties that occur where all the best breeders/growers of cannabis get together and sample each other’s wares.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 14:16:29
From: Cymek
ID: 1990050
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

ms spock said:

Were you some hot shot in the cannabis world at some time sarahs mum?

no. but i remember some of those. also…these look pathetic in comparison to today’s cultivars. So someone has been working hard on genetics.

They have indeed been working hard on genetics. Apparently there are sampling parties that occur where all the best breeders/growers of cannabis get together and sample each other’s wares.

They got tegridy

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 14:19:09
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990051
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Captain Spalding did you see my explanation about dialects and native speakers?

I turned up one day early for one class but fortunately that meant as I was around I was on time for another class! I knew about 8 words.

Yes, i read that, thanks, ms s.

Dialects are something that happens with French, too.

My first French teacher could speak the Breton dialect, as his family originated there.

Another chap i knew from France was married to a lady from the French/German border area. She spoke a dialect from there, but it was pretty much a language of its own. He said that he lived there for several years when they first married, but he never mastered more than a few simple phrases.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 14:23:42
From: ms spock
ID: 1990053
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ms spock said:

Captain Spalding did you see my explanation about dialects and native speakers?

I turned up one day early for one class but fortunately that meant as I was around I was on time for another class! I knew about 8 words.

Yes, i read that, thanks, ms s.

Dialects are something that happens with French, too.

My first French teacher could speak the Breton dialect, as his family originated there.

Another chap i knew from France was married to a lady from the French/German border area. She spoke a dialect from there, but it was pretty much a language of its own. He said that he lived there for several years when they first married, but he never mastered more than a few simple phrases.

Wow that is fascinating isn’t it?

I am trying to learn with as many different folks with as many different dialects as possible. As far as I understand there’s not that gap in language or learning in Irish Gaeilge/Gaelic.

I had my first lesson today. It was so exciting.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 14:44:09
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990057
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The person who wrote this article could well be a closet round earther.
They say ‘around’ to start with then correct it to the more conventional ‘across’
Make no mistake there are still some round earthers out there.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 14:49:15
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990060
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


The person who wrote this article could well be a closet round earther.
They say ‘around’ to start with then correct it to the more conventional ‘across’
Make no mistake there are still some round earthers out there.

No one who understands navigation believes in a flat Earth.

Spherical trigonometry is the basis of navigation. It just would not work on a flat Earth.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 14:50:49
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1990061
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Peak Warming Man said:

The person who wrote this article could well be a closet round earther.
They say ‘around’ to start with then correct it to the more conventional ‘across’
Make no mistake there are still some round earthers out there.

No one who understands navigation believes in a flat Earth.

Spherical trigonometry is the basis of navigation. It just would not work on a flat Earth.

Nothing does!

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 14:52:52
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990063
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Peak Warming Man said:

The person who wrote this article could well be a closet round earther.
They say ‘around’ to start with then correct it to the more conventional ‘across’
Make no mistake there are still some round earthers out there.

No one who understands navigation believes in a flat Earth.

Spherical trigonometry is the basis of navigation. It just would not work on a flat Earth.

They’re even among us.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 14:57:03
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990064
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


captain_spalding said:

Peak Warming Man said:

The person who wrote this article could well be a closet round earther.
They say ‘around’ to start with then correct it to the more conventional ‘across’
Make no mistake there are still some round earthers out there.

No one who understands navigation believes in a flat Earth.

Spherical trigonometry is the basis of navigation. It just would not work on a flat Earth.

They’re even among us.

Round Earthers right here on the bench beside me!

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 14:58:25
From: buffy
ID: 1990065
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


buffy said:

Back for lunch. We’ve been to Digby and the Bobcat is now in the shed here.

And the car trailer is ready to go back to the place in Hamilton ($60 for a day hire).

I did a really quick wander while Mr buffy did the tiedowns. Found three hyacinth orchids in flower and one that I’d seen before and is still going Here is one of them.


Hang on, hang on, where did this here Bobcat come from?

Mr buffy bought it about 18 months ago from these folks:

https://www.clarkfarmequipment.com.au/product/1422/-Bobcat-CT2035

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:01:37
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990067
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

Back for lunch. We’ve been to Digby and the Bobcat is now in the shed here.

And the car trailer is ready to go back to the place in Hamilton ($60 for a day hire).

I did a really quick wander while Mr buffy did the tiedowns. Found three hyacinth orchids in flower and one that I’d seen before and is still going Here is one of them.


Hang on, hang on, where did this here Bobcat come from?

Mr buffy bought it about 18 months ago from these folks:

https://www.clarkfarmequipment.com.au/product/1422/-Bobcat-CT2035

And what is he going to use it for? besides fun.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:05:07
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990068
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


buffy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Hang on, hang on, where did this here Bobcat come from?

Mr buffy bought it about 18 months ago from these folks:

https://www.clarkfarmequipment.com.au/product/1422/-Bobcat-CT2035

And what is he going to use it for? besides fun.

he’s going to lift things up and put them down.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:06:22
From: Kingy
ID: 1990069
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:07:18
From: buffy
ID: 1990070
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Hey, buffy,


Not really a common way to rest the arrow. Doesn’t look particularly stable to me and I’d be a bit concerned about damage to that finger. I think there is a little bit of tilt on the bow too, which if we do anything like that on the range you can hear a low growl from the instructor. I suppose at least she is not strangling the bow with her holding hand.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:08:01
From: transition
ID: 1990071
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

lady just looking at weather forecast, 8C tonight

I could have a fire going, but won’t, i’ll just shiver and chatter my teeth to stay warm, keeps them hypothermia monsters away

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:08:04
From: buffy
ID: 1990072
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


John West wild caught tuna in naturally pressed virgin olive oil with fresh caucasian bread and butter.
Over.

We et slices of turkey in sammiches. Mr buffy had cheese and lettuce with his. I had red currant jam.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:12:41
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1990075
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Turkish wetlands
Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:13:40
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1990076
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Indonesia’s Padar Island

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:14:01
From: buffy
ID: 1990077
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


buffy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Hang on, hang on, where did this here Bobcat come from?

Mr buffy bought it about 18 months ago from these folks:

https://www.clarkfarmequipment.com.au/product/1422/-Bobcat-CT2035

And what is he going to use it for? besides fun.

As we are getting older now, he uses the bucket to pick up the logs for firewood and put them up into the ute tray to bring home. And he has put a couple of new walking tracks through, and before he takes the Razorback through to cut the bracken down, he goes through with the Bobcat pushing shrubbery and fallen logs aside. And for fun.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:15:57
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1990078
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Ibex

Looks windy.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:15:58
From: Cymek
ID: 1990079
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Indonesia’s Padar Island

We have a beautiful planet

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:19:27
From: transition
ID: 1990081
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


lady just looking at weather forecast, 8C tonight

I could have a fire going, but won’t, i’ll just shiver and chatter my teeth to stay warm, keeps them hypothermia monsters away

and back to the news desk

we removed some cactus and whatever(lady mostly did that), from inner yard, puts it on some tarp out back ready to spray, gets a good dose of grow-no-more

was mostly around tank i’m emptying, readying to clean it, wash it all out, makes it easier, not gets attacked by cactus

not likes cactus attacks me

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:20:51
From: Michael V
ID: 1990082
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

Back for lunch. We’ve been to Digby and the Bobcat is now in the shed here.

And the car trailer is ready to go back to the place in Hamilton ($60 for a day hire).

I did a really quick wander while Mr buffy did the tiedowns. Found three hyacinth orchids in flower and one that I’d seen before and is still going Here is one of them.


Hang on, hang on, where did this here Bobcat come from?

Mr buffy bought it about 18 months ago from these folks:

https://www.clarkfarmequipment.com.au/product/1422/-Bobcat-CT2035

It’s like a Swiss Army Tractor, from the photos on the website.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:23:23
From: Michael V
ID: 1990083
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Turkish wetlands

Nice one!

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:24:03
From: Michael V
ID: 1990084
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Indonesia’s Padar Island

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:25:23
From: Michael V
ID: 1990085
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Ibex

Looks windy.

Looks cold to me.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:26:45
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990086
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Ibex

Looks windy.

Blowing their horns back.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:36:20
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1990091
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

What’s keeping DV away from the forum:

Could vanadium spell the downfall of your ASX 200 lithium shares?

Could this be the next green battery metal to take the ASX by storm?

https://www.fool.com.au/2023/02/02/could-vanadium-spell-the-downfall-of-your-asx-200-lithium-shares/

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:39:43
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990092
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


What’s keeping DV away from the forum:

Could vanadium spell the downfall of your ASX 200 lithium shares?

Could this be the next green battery metal to take the ASX by storm?

https://www.fool.com.au/2023/02/02/could-vanadium-spell-the-downfall-of-your-asx-200-lithium-shares/

he was here briefly at 3am.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:39:53
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990093
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


What’s keeping DV away from the forum:

Could vanadium spell the downfall of your ASX 200 lithium shares?

Could this be the next green battery metal to take the ASX by storm?

https://www.fool.com.au/2023/02/02/could-vanadium-spell-the-downfall-of-your-asx-200-lithium-shares/

He did drop in and say hello.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:43:51
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990094
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


What’s keeping DV away from the forum:

Could vanadium spell the downfall of your ASX 200 lithium shares?

Could this be the next green battery metal to take the ASX by storm?

https://www.fool.com.au/2023/02/02/could-vanadium-spell-the-downfall-of-your-asx-200-lithium-shares/

How’s zinc going?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:44:19
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990095
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Still no sign of Mr Tunks. Said he’d be here this week.

My garden is looking disgraceful, front and back.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:47:18
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990096
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

Back for lunch. We’ve been to Digby and the Bobcat is now in the shed here.

And the car trailer is ready to go back to the place in Hamilton ($60 for a day hire).

I did a really quick wander while Mr buffy did the tiedowns. Found three hyacinth orchids in flower and one that I’d seen before and is still going Here is one of them.


Hang on, hang on, where did this here Bobcat come from?

Mr buffy bought it about 18 months ago from these folks:

https://www.clarkfarmequipment.com.au/product/1422/-Bobcat-CT2035

It not Bobcat, it Tractor.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:48:22
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990097
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

What’s keeping DV away from the forum:

Could vanadium spell the downfall of your ASX 200 lithium shares?

Could this be the next green battery metal to take the ASX by storm?

https://www.fool.com.au/2023/02/02/could-vanadium-spell-the-downfall-of-your-asx-200-lithium-shares/

How’s zinc going?

Oh, zinc.

Is there anything it can’t do?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:49:08
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990098
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Still no sign of Mr Tunks. Said he’d be here this week.

My garden is looking disgraceful, front and back.

Probably rotten with covid.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:49:48
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1990099
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Rolls-Royce unveils early-stage design for space nuclear reactor

By Elizabeth Howell published 1 day ago

The company is working with the UK Space Agency for nuclear power and propulsion options in spaceflight.

https://www.space.com/rolls-royce-early-design-space-nuclear-reactor

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 15:58:53
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990103
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

COURT SAYS JOHN BARILARO IS CRAZY!

John Barilaro has assault charges dismissed on mental health grounds
By court reporter Jamie McKinnell
The former NSW deputy premier, 51, denied charges of common assault and destroying or damaging property over the incident at Manly in July last year.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:00:26
From: Michael V
ID: 1990104
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-03/summer-snow-in-australian-alps/101926526

Meanwhile, in Queensland:

http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/warnings/heatwave.shtml

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:01:46
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990105
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-03/summer-snow-in-australian-alps/101926526

Meanwhile, in Queensland:

http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/warnings/heatwave.shtml

You can get anything you want
At Albanese’s Restaurant

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:02:25
From: Cymek
ID: 1990106
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Still no sign of Mr Tunks. Said he’d be here this week.

My garden is looking disgraceful, front and back.

Rodney finally has company

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:03:49
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990108
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


COURT SAYS JOHN BARILARO IS CRAZY!

John Barilaro has assault charges dismissed on mental health grounds
By court reporter Jamie McKinnell
The former NSW deputy premier, 51, denied charges of common assault and destroying or damaging property over the incident at Manly in July last year.

Well why was he elected to his position? Didn’t anyone notice before?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:05:53
From: Cymek
ID: 1990109
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


captain_spalding said:

COURT SAYS JOHN BARILARO IS CRAZY!

John Barilaro has assault charges dismissed on mental health grounds
By court reporter Jamie McKinnell
The former NSW deputy premier, 51, denied charges of common assault and destroying or damaging property over the incident at Manly in July last year.

Well why was he elected to his position? Didn’t anyone notice before?

Hitting the bong too much and had an episode ?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:06:11
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990110
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


captain_spalding said:

COURT SAYS JOHN BARILARO IS CRAZY!

John Barilaro has assault charges dismissed on mental health grounds
By court reporter Jamie McKinnell
The former NSW deputy premier, 51, denied charges of common assault and destroying or damaging property over the incident at Manly in July last year.

Well why was he elected to his position? Didn’t anyone notice before?

“you know, John displays all the signs of a really narcissistic, sociopathic character with tendencies to criminality.”

“Really? We’ve been looking for someone to be the L/NP govt’s Deputy premier.”

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:06:59
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990111
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-03/summer-snow-in-australian-alps/101926526

Meanwhile, in Queensland:

http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/warnings/heatwave.shtml

I think they’ve redefined ‘heatwave;
I mean Brisbane is supposed to be in a Severe Heatwave.
In all my summers this is pretty normal for summer in Brisbane in February, it’s 3pm and 31 degrees.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:08:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990112
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

COURT SAYS JOHN BARILARO IS CRAZY!

John Barilaro has assault charges dismissed on mental health grounds
By court reporter Jamie McKinnell
The former NSW deputy premier, 51, denied charges of common assault and destroying or damaging property over the incident at Manly in July last year.

Well why was he elected to his position? Didn’t anyone notice before?

“you know, John displays all the signs of a really narcissistic, sociopathic character with tendencies to criminality.”

“Really? We’ve been looking for someone to be the L/NP govt’s Deputy premier.”

He just fell into the job.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:08:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990113
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

What’s keeping DV away from the forum:

Could vanadium spell the downfall of your ASX 200 lithium shares?

Could this be the next green battery metal to take the ASX by storm?

https://www.fool.com.au/2023/02/02/could-vanadium-spell-the-downfall-of-your-asx-200-lithium-shares/

How’s zinc going?

Oh, zinc.

Is there anything it can’t do?

Trouble is it sometimes rots.

Toy van attacked by “zinc pest”.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:08:59
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1990114
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

France’s first voyage to Mars

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:08:59
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990115
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Michael V said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-03/summer-snow-in-australian-alps/101926526

Meanwhile, in Queensland:

http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/warnings/heatwave.shtml

I think they’ve redefined ‘heatwave;
I mean Brisbane is supposed to be in a Severe Heatwave.
In all my summers this is pretty normal for summer in Brisbane in February, it’s 3pm and 31 degrees.

Not so bad in Toowoomba right now (31 deg), and the highest was 32 about 30 mins ago.

Could be a lot worse.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:09:00
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990116
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


COURT SAYS JOHN BARILARO IS CRAZY!

John Barilaro has assault charges dismissed on mental health grounds
By court reporter Jamie McKinnell
The former NSW deputy premier, 51, denied charges of common assault and destroying or damaging property over the incident at Manly in July last year.

There’s definitely a roo loose in the top paddock.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:09:07
From: buffy
ID: 1990117
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Hmm…

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-03/qld-robodebt-scheme-government-royal-commission-review-pwc/101900514

What is it? Don’t start an investigation before setting out the conclusion?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:09:36
From: Cymek
ID: 1990118
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

COURT SAYS JOHN BARILARO IS CRAZY!

John Barilaro has assault charges dismissed on mental health grounds
By court reporter Jamie McKinnell
The former NSW deputy premier, 51, denied charges of common assault and destroying or damaging property over the incident at Manly in July last year.

Well why was he elected to his position? Didn’t anyone notice before?

“you know, John displays all the signs of a really narcissistic, sociopathic character with tendencies to criminality.”

“Really? We’ve been looking for someone to be the L/NP govt’s Deputy premier.”

Probably not wrong
We’ve had some nutters come through our

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:12:51
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1990119
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“So, I said to him….”

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:13:41
From: Cymek
ID: 1990120
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


France’s first voyage to Mars

cinq

quatre

trois

deux

un

enlever du singe qui mange du fromage en route vers Mars

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:14:44
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1990121
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:14:58
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990122
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


PermeateFree said:

France’s first voyage to Mars

cinq

quatre

trois

deux

un

enlever du singe qui mange du fromage en route vers Mars

Mars Needs Monkeys.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:17:26
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1990123
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

High above Tocopilla, Chile, one of SQMs Boxcabs coasts downhill to the Reverso switchback.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:18:56
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1990124
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

National park “Sviati Hory” (Holy Mountains), Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine Balkhovitin

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:21:17
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1990125
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Sarychev Peak Volcano erupts June 12, 2009, on Matua Island (North Kuril Islands)
Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:22:41
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990126
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


High above Tocopilla, Chile, one of SQMs Boxcabs coasts downhill to the Reverso switchback.

I’d get DV’s company to have a look at that one.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:22:45
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1990127
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Magistrate Beth Campbell dismissed the charge, deciding no conviction should be recorded.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:24:43
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1990129
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A medieval tiny house.

Broadway Tower in Cotswolds, England.
Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:31:05
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990130
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


A medieval tiny house.

Broadway Tower in Cotswolds, England.

Phoaw!, wouldn’t mind one of those in the south forty.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:31:25
From: Michael V
ID: 1990131
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Michael V said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-03/summer-snow-in-australian-alps/101926526

Meanwhile, in Queensland:

http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/warnings/heatwave.shtml

I think they’ve redefined ‘heatwave;
I mean Brisbane is supposed to be in a Severe Heatwave.
In all my summers this is pretty normal for summer in Brisbane in February, it’s 3pm and 31 degrees.

“Heatwave” only got defined by the BoM in 2014.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-14/bureau-of-meteorology-provides-national-heatwave-definition/5199712

Perhaps the re-assessment of getting information to the media after the 1998 Hobart yacht race disaster means we now have a definition and more media coverage.

“Heatwave Assessment and Forecast

Abstract

The Bureau of Meteorology defines a heatwave as three or more days in a row when both daytime and night-time temperatures are unusually high—in relation to the local long-term climate and the recent past. There is no single temperature threshold for a heatwave in Australia. For each part of the country, the Bureau compares the forecast maximum and minimum temperatures for each three-day period in the coming week (e.g. Monday–Wednesday, Tuesday–Thursday) to the ‘normal’ temperatures expected for that location at that time of year, and to observed temperatures over the last 30 days.

Heatwaves are classified into three types, based on intensity. Comparing forecast temperatures to the last 30 days of temperatures allows the Bureau to gauge the size of the temperature change, physical and behavioural preparedness for such heat, and how challenging it could be for people and infrastructure:

1. Low-intensity heatwaves are the most common—most people are able to cope with this level of heat.
2. Severe heatwaves are less frequent and are challenging for vulnerable people such as the elderly—particularly those with pre-existing medical conditions.
3. Extreme heatwaves are the rarest kind. They affect the reliability of infrastructure, like power and transport, and are dangerous for anyone who does not take precautions to keep cool—even those who are healthy. People who work or exercise outdoors are particularly at risk.

The heatwave product includes two heatwave assessment (last two three-day periods) and five heatwave forecasts (three-day periods) starting on each of the next five days.

Caution. The maps provided by the Heatwave Forecast will show a reduced severity level or remove the indication of heatwave before the heatwave actually ends. This occurs because the maps are calculated across today, tomorrow and the next day. If the temperature is lower on the last day(s) then the map will indicate a lower risk despite unusually hot conditions being present for the first day or two. The Heatwave Assessment will show how heatwaves are finishing due to the combination of recent days with the current forecast days.”

http://www.bom.gov.au/metadata/catalogue/19115/ANZCW0503900601#:~:text=The%20Bureau%20of%20Meteorology%20defines,for%20a%20heatwave%20in%20Australia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Sydney_to_Hobart_Yacht_Race#Coroner’s_inquest

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:33:49
From: Michael V
ID: 1990133
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


captain_spalding said:

Peak Warming Man said:

How’s zinc going?

Oh, zinc.

Is there anything it can’t do?

Trouble is it sometimes rots.

Toy van attacked by “zinc pest”.

All the new door handles and cabin hooks to hold the doors open, are going the way of zinc rot.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:33:57
From: Kingy
ID: 1990134
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Going for a personal best lift.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:36:21
From: Michael V
ID: 1990135
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:



Nice one!

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:38:14
From: Michael V
ID: 1990137
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Sarychev Peak Volcano erupts June 12, 2009, on Matua Island (North Kuril Islands)

That’s some photo. Brilliant.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:40:24
From: Cymek
ID: 1990139
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Going for a personal best lift.


This is a real deadlift, looks very similar assuming the first one is real.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:41:15
From: Cymek
ID: 1990140
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


PermeateFree said:

Sarychev Peak Volcano erupts June 12, 2009, on Matua Island (North Kuril Islands)

That’s some photo. Brilliant.

Eruptions always look cool don’t they, can imagine asteroid strikes would as well, just not be near them.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:42:28
From: Michael V
ID: 1990141
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


A medieval tiny house.

Broadway Tower in Cotswolds, England.
Interesting folly.

Built for Barbara, Countess of Coventry in 1798–1799, so not medieval.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadway_Tower,_Worcestershire

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:43:30
From: Cymek
ID: 1990142
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Kingy said:

Going for a personal best lift.


This is a real deadlift, looks very similar assuming the first one is real.

The big weight bar obviously

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:44:01
From: Michael V
ID: 1990143
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Going for a personal best lift.


LOLOL

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:45:50
From: Michael V
ID: 1990145
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

captain_spalding said:

Oh, zinc.

Is there anything it can’t do?

Trouble is it sometimes rots.

Toy van attacked by “zinc pest”.

All the new door handles and cabin hooks to hold the doors open in our house, are going the way of zinc rot.

Fixed.

“in our house” added

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:54:47
From: Arts
ID: 1990147
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Kingy said:

Going for a personal best lift.


This is a real deadlift, looks very similar assuming the first one is real.

the ‘weights’ in that second photos are just filled with air..

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:55:02
From: Michael V
ID: 1990148
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Huh!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-03/australian-open-debut-for-99yo-tennis-player-henry-young/101927538

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:56:32
From: buffy
ID: 1990150
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Food report: I am cook. I am making red-cooked chicken. This stock has now been going for some years. I do a cook, then I freeze the stock again. It’s getting quite flavoured now. The original recipe was one of Terry Durack’s from 2000 in The Age magazine “Good Weekend”. I bought chicken cutlets (skin on). I’m cooking a dozen. We will have three each tonight, served on boiled rice with peas and corn mixed through, and drizzled with some of the cooking liquor. The other 6 pieces of chicken will be fridged to be used for cold meat in the next couple of days. It’s just as tasty cold as warm.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:57:36
From: Cymek
ID: 1990151
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Cymek said:

Kingy said:

Going for a personal best lift.


This is a real deadlift, looks very similar assuming the first one is real.

the ‘weights’ in that second photos are just filled with air..

He does have the world record for the deadlift 501 kg

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 16:59:00
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990153
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Cymek said:

Kingy said:

Going for a personal best lift.


This is a real deadlift, looks very similar assuming the first one is real.

the ‘weights’ in that second photos are just filled with air..

they should have ’1 TON” written on them

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:01:57
From: Cymek
ID: 1990154
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Arts said:

Cymek said:

This is a real deadlift, looks very similar assuming the first one is real.

the ‘weights’ in that second photos are just filled with air..

He does have the world record for the deadlift 501 kg

I wonder if that is getting to the limit for unaided human strength

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:04:53
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990155
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Food report: I am cook. I am making red-cooked chicken. This stock has now been going for some years. I do a cook, then I freeze the stock again. It’s getting quite flavoured now. The original recipe was one of Terry Durack’s from 2000 in The Age magazine “Good Weekend”. I bought chicken cutlets (skin on). I’m cooking a dozen. We will have three each tonight, served on boiled rice with peas and corn mixed through, and drizzled with some of the cooking liquor. The other 6 pieces of chicken will be fridged to be used for cold meat in the next couple of days. It’s just as tasty cold as warm.

Baked pink ling here, served with a green & feta salad, lemon vinaigrette.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:06:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990156
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Arts said:

Cymek said:

This is a real deadlift, looks very similar assuming the first one is real.

the ‘weights’ in that second photos are just filled with air..

He does have the world record for the deadlift 501 kg

Terrible for the back, I’d use a forklift.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:10:07
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990159
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Pink ling is the most endangered fish in the world with only about a dozen left in the wild.
For tea I’ll be having lamb chops, mashed potato, fried tomato and gravy washed down with popular cola.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:11:49
From: transition
ID: 1990161
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNdnlrkx-wg
The De-Population Bomb

watching that^, quite good

dinner done, coffee landed

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:12:19
From: Arts
ID: 1990162
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Arts said:

Cymek said:

This is a real deadlift, looks very similar assuming the first one is real.

the ‘weights’ in that second photos are just filled with air..

they should have ’1 TON” written on them

and ACME

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:13:49
From: Cymek
ID: 1990165
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


JudgeMental said:

Arts said:

the ‘weights’ in that second photos are just filled with air..

they should have ’1 TON” written on them

and ACME

They do look weird I agree

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:14:20
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990166
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BIcAZxFfrc

Link

Vaccines and Autism: A Measured Response

Entertaining presenter. 1hr 45mins

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:15:33
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990168
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Pink ling is the most endangered fish in the world with only about a dozen left in the wild.
For tea I’ll be having lamb chops, mashed potato, fried tomato and gravy washed down with popular cola.

Needs a green veg as well.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:21:45
From: Michael V
ID: 1990169
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


buffy said:

Food report: I am cook. I am making red-cooked chicken. This stock has now been going for some years. I do a cook, then I freeze the stock again. It’s getting quite flavoured now. The original recipe was one of Terry Durack’s from 2000 in The Age magazine “Good Weekend”. I bought chicken cutlets (skin on). I’m cooking a dozen. We will have three each tonight, served on boiled rice with peas and corn mixed through, and drizzled with some of the cooking liquor. The other 6 pieces of chicken will be fridged to be used for cold meat in the next couple of days. It’s just as tasty cold as warm.

Baked pink ling here, served with a green & feta salad, lemon vinaigrette.

Just had lunch – fruit salad and ice cream.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:25:42
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1990173
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Cymek said:

Kingy said:

Going for a personal best lift.


This is a real deadlift, looks very similar assuming the first one is real.

the ‘weights’ in that second photos are just filled with air..

density of liquid air is still pretty close to density of water

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:26:50
From: buffy
ID: 1990174
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The chef from the pub just made a flying visit…he’s out of lemons! (We have more than we can use by a long shot)

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:28:46
From: esselte
ID: 1990175
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


A medieval tiny house.

Broadway Tower in Cotswolds, England.

Cute, but let down by the lack of machicolations for times when you get those unwanted visitors.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:30:55
From: buffy
ID: 1990176
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Opinions please. I have suggested we give “Night Train to Lisbon” a go tonight on SBS on demand. I am known to be a really bad chooser of films. This one didn’t get good reviews. So, have any of you lot watched it, and what did you think?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:32:46
From: Michael V
ID: 1990177
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Food report: I am cook. I am making red-cooked chicken. This stock has now been going for some years. I do a cook, then I freeze the stock again. It’s getting quite flavoured now. The original recipe was one of Terry Durack’s from 2000 in The Age magazine “Good Weekend”. I bought chicken cutlets (skin on). I’m cooking a dozen. We will have three each tonight, served on boiled rice with peas and corn mixed through, and drizzled with some of the cooking liquor. The other 6 pieces of chicken will be fridged to be used for cold meat in the next couple of days. It’s just as tasty cold as warm.

Is this the recipe?

https://tandcake.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/chinese-red-cooked-chicken/

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:33:24
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990178
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

esselte said:


PermeateFree said:

A medieval tiny house.

Broadway Tower in Cotswolds, England.

Cute, but let down by the lack of machicolations for times when you get those unwanted visitors.

You could see a Jehovah Witness coming for miles, plenty of time to get a good fire going under the oil.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:34:13
From: Michael V
ID: 1990179
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Opinions please. I have suggested we give “Night Train to Lisbon” a go tonight on SBS on demand. I am known to be a really bad chooser of films. This one didn’t get good reviews. So, have any of you lot watched it, and what did you think?

I’ve not seen it.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:35:02
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990180
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


esselte said:

PermeateFree said:

A medieval tiny house.

Broadway Tower in Cotswolds, England.

Cute, but let down by the lack of machicolations for times when you get those unwanted visitors.

You could see a Jehovah Witness coming for miles, plenty of time to get a good fire going under the oil.

if that was in australia telstra would put a mobile phone tower on top of it.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:35:51
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990181
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

Opinions please. I have suggested we give “Night Train to Lisbon” a go tonight on SBS on demand. I am known to be a really bad chooser of films. This one didn’t get good reviews. So, have any of you lot watched it, and what did you think?

I’ve not seen it.

+1

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:38:11
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990183
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Peak Warming Man said:

esselte said:

Cute, but let down by the lack of machicolations for times when you get those unwanted visitors.

You could see a Jehovah Witness coming for miles, plenty of time to get a good fire going under the oil.

if that was in australia telstra would put a mobile phone tower on top of it.

OneTel did that, put a gazillion towers on everything above head height then went belly-up.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:38:23
From: buffy
ID: 1990184
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

Food report: I am cook. I am making red-cooked chicken. This stock has now been going for some years. I do a cook, then I freeze the stock again. It’s getting quite flavoured now. The original recipe was one of Terry Durack’s from 2000 in The Age magazine “Good Weekend”. I bought chicken cutlets (skin on). I’m cooking a dozen. We will have three each tonight, served on boiled rice with peas and corn mixed through, and drizzled with some of the cooking liquor. The other 6 pieces of chicken will be fridged to be used for cold meat in the next couple of days. It’s just as tasty cold as warm.

Is this the recipe?

https://tandcake.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/chinese-red-cooked-chicken/

Yep.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:42:29
From: Cymek
ID: 1990185
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


esselte said:

PermeateFree said:

A medieval tiny house.

Broadway Tower in Cotswolds, England.

Cute, but let down by the lack of machicolations for times when you get those unwanted visitors.

You could see a Jehovah Witness coming for miles, plenty of time to get a good fire going under the oil.

Irony of them being taken out by a watchtower

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:47:25
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990186
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Peak Warming Man said:

esselte said:

Cute, but let down by the lack of machicolations for times when you get those unwanted visitors.

You could see a Jehovah Witness coming for miles, plenty of time to get a good fire going under the oil.

Irony of them being taken out by a watchtower

lol

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:48:29
From: sibeen
ID: 1990187
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Peak Warming Man said:

esselte said:

Cute, but let down by the lack of machicolations for times when you get those unwanted visitors.

You could see a Jehovah Witness coming for miles, plenty of time to get a good fire going under the oil.

Irony of them being taken out by a watchtower

golf clap

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:52:14
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1990188
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Opinions please. I have suggested we give “Night Train to Lisbon” a go tonight on SBS on demand. I am known to be a really bad chooser of films. This one didn’t get good reviews. So, have any of you lot watched it, and what did you think?

I’ll wait for Sibeen’s wise counsel…

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 17:56:27
From: Cymek
ID: 1990189
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


buffy said:

Opinions please. I have suggested we give “Night Train to Lisbon” a go tonight on SBS on demand. I am known to be a really bad chooser of films. This one didn’t get good reviews. So, have any of you lot watched it, and what did you think?

I’ll wait for Sibeen’s wise counsel…

What about Train To Busan instead

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 18:05:22
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990190
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Opinions please. I have suggested we give “Night Train to Lisbon” a go tonight on SBS on demand. I am known to be a really bad chooser of films. This one didn’t get good reviews. So, have any of you lot watched it, and what did you think?

I just read the plot in wiki, it’s complex.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 18:06:49
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990191
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


buffy said:

Opinions please. I have suggested we give “Night Train to Lisbon” a go tonight on SBS on demand. I am known to be a really bad chooser of films. This one didn’t get good reviews. So, have any of you lot watched it, and what did you think?

I just read the plot in wiki, it’s complex.

It is complex but I also found it interesting.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 18:11:20
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990192
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

Opinions please. I have suggested we give “Night Train to Lisbon” a go tonight on SBS on demand. I am known to be a really bad chooser of films. This one didn’t get good reviews. So, have any of you lot watched it, and what did you think?

I just read the plot in wiki, it’s complex.

It is complex but I also found it interesting.

Come with me Roughie, I’ll make a nice cup of tea.
Sit down, you’ll be better sitting down.
Comfortable? good good.
I’ll be blunt, Night Train To Lisbon is not true.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 18:11:43
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990193
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


PermeateFree said:

Sarychev Peak Volcano erupts June 12, 2009, on Matua Island (North Kuril Islands)

That’s some photo. Brilliant.

Tthey were all quite good but this and the polar bear were the picks.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 18:50:15
From: Michael V
ID: 1990198
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Michael V said:

buffy said:

Food report: I am cook. I am making red-cooked chicken. This stock has now been going for some years. I do a cook, then I freeze the stock again. It’s getting quite flavoured now. The original recipe was one of Terry Durack’s from 2000 in The Age magazine “Good Weekend”. I bought chicken cutlets (skin on). I’m cooking a dozen. We will have three each tonight, served on boiled rice with peas and corn mixed through, and drizzled with some of the cooking liquor. The other 6 pieces of chicken will be fridged to be used for cold meat in the next couple of days. It’s just as tasty cold as warm.

Is this the recipe?

https://tandcake.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/chinese-red-cooked-chicken/

Yep.

Thanks. Do you add more spices/soy/wine as you re-use the stock?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 18:51:00
From: Michael V
ID: 1990199
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Peak Warming Man said:

esselte said:

Cute, but let down by the lack of machicolations for times when you get those unwanted visitors.

You could see a Jehovah Witness coming for miles, plenty of time to get a good fire going under the oil.

Irony of them being taken out by a watchtower

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 18:52:56
From: buffy
ID: 1990200
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

Michael V said:

Is this the recipe?

https://tandcake.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/chinese-red-cooked-chicken/

Yep.

Thanks. Do you add more spices/soy/wine as you re-use the stock?

I haven’t. Although I just noticed when we et the chicken that the salt level has fallen. So it will need a bit more soy put in. I’ll do that now (as you reminded me of it) before I refreeze the stock.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 18:53:32
From: buffy
ID: 1990201
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Michael V said:

buffy said:

Yep.

Thanks. Do you add more spices/soy/wine as you re-use the stock?

I haven’t. Although I just noticed when we et the chicken that the salt level has fallen. So it will need a bit more soy put in. I’ll do that now (as you reminded me of it) before I refreeze the stock.

Oh, and I have used it for meat other than chicken, but you know, I can’t remember what. Probably pork fillet or something.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 18:54:57
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990202
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

BACK with further FNDC supplies, after a walk that would have been pleasant were it not for the almost crippling fascist plantar.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 18:57:21
From: buffy
ID: 1990204
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


buffy said:

Michael V said:

Thanks. Do you add more spices/soy/wine as you re-use the stock?

I haven’t. Although I just noticed when we et the chicken that the salt level has fallen. So it will need a bit more soy put in. I’ll do that now (as you reminded me of it) before I refreeze the stock.

Oh, and I have used it for meat other than chicken, but you know, I can’t remember what. Probably pork fillet or something.

And, I think I like the chicken better cold than warm as suggested in the recipe. When we eat the cold bits tomorrow or Sunday I’ll try to remember to report on that.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:00:32
From: Michael V
ID: 1990205
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


buffy said:

buffy said:

I haven’t. Although I just noticed when we et the chicken that the salt level has fallen. So it will need a bit more soy put in. I’ll do that now (as you reminded me of it) before I refreeze the stock.

Oh, and I have used it for meat other than chicken, but you know, I can’t remember what. Probably pork fillet or something.

And, I think I like the chicken better cold than warm as suggested in the recipe. When we eat the cold bits tomorrow or Sunday I’ll try to remember to report on that.

Thanks.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:04:38
From: Cymek
ID: 1990206
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


BACK with further FNDC supplies, after a walk that would have been pleasant were it not for the almost crippling fascist plantar.

How far is the walk ?
I remember the pain of walking when me ticker was dodgy and when I fractured my foot and ignored it thinking it was just a sprain.
Spoils the walk

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:08:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990207
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Bubblecar said:

BACK with further FNDC supplies, after a walk that would have been pleasant were it not for the almost crippling fascist plantar.

How far is the walk ?
I remember the pain of walking when me ticker was dodgy and when I fractured my foot and ignored it thinking it was just a sprain.
Spoils the walk

About 1km each way.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:08:43
From: Michael V
ID: 1990208
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


BACK with further FNDC supplies, after a walk that would have been pleasant were it not for the almost crippling fascist plantar.

They’re awful. Our Post Office lady was telling us about hers this afternoon

Keep walking on it and the pain will go away. It’s like cutting a tooth. The bone spur has to cut into the heel pad. It may take a few weeks. I think mine took three weeks or so.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:11:18
From: sibeen
ID: 1990209
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

BACK with further FNDC supplies, after a walk that would have been pleasant were it not for the almost crippling fascist plantar.

They’re awful. Our Post Office lady was telling us about hers this afternoon

Keep walking on it and the pain will go away. It’s like cutting a tooth. The bone spur has to cut into the heel pad. It may take a few weeks. I think mine took three weeks or so.

Can you rub some bonjela on it?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:13:02
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990210
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

BACK with further FNDC supplies, after a walk that would have been pleasant were it not for the almost crippling fascist plantar.

They’re awful. Our Post Office lady was telling us about hers this afternoon

Keep walking on it and the pain will go away. It’s like cutting a tooth. The bone spur has to cut into the heel pad. It may take a few weeks. I think mine took three weeks or so.

I don’t think there’s any spur involved. Often there isn’t, according to the experts.

>WHAT IS PLANTAR FASCIITIS?

Plantar fasciitis is a painful inflammatory heel condition affecting the large ligament-type structure in the base of the foot that can cause arch pain and heel pain. The plantar fascia can become thick and inflamed due to the irritation at its attachment, at the base of the heel bone. In some patients, small tears can develop and these people suffer from acute pain that can be excruciating. Sometimes, on x-ray, heel spurs (bone spurs) can be seen, but these are not usually the cause of the patient’s heel pain.

It should be noted that “heel spurs” is a misleading diagnosis that has been used by podiatrists and doctors for many years. More and more practitioners today are open to the fact that heel spurs are not the problem and that these bone spurs don’t cause pain. Instead, the source of pain is the inflammation within the plantar fascia surrounding the spur itself.

https://sydneyheelpain.com.au/what-is-plantar-fasciitis/

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:13:03
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990211
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

I just read the plot in wiki, it’s complex.

It is complex but I also found it interesting.

Come with me Roughie, I’ll make a nice cup of tea.
Sit down, you’ll be better sitting down.
Comfortable? good good.
I’ll be blunt, Night Train To Lisbon is not true.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:13:24
From: Cymek
ID: 1990212
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Cymek said:

Bubblecar said:

BACK with further FNDC supplies, after a walk that would have been pleasant were it not for the almost crippling fascist plantar.

How far is the walk ?
I remember the pain of walking when me ticker was dodgy and when I fractured my foot and ignored it thinking it was just a sprain.
Spoils the walk

About 1km each way.

Not too bad a walk then, bit less than my walk to the shops / train station

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:14:22
From: 19 shillings
ID: 1990213
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


BACK with further FNDC supplies, after a walk that would have been pleasant were it not for the almost crippling fascist plantar.

—-

I found wearing oofos thongs helped my plantar fascitis a lot.
They are not cheap but worth it. 70 to 90 dorah

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:15:51
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990214
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

19 shillings said:


Bubblecar said:

BACK with further FNDC supplies, after a walk that would have been pleasant were it not for the almost crippling fascist plantar.

—-

I found wearing oofos thongs helped my plantar fascitis a lot.
They are not cheap but worth it. 70 to 90 dorah

I’ll look into that for around the house, ta.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:16:11
From: Michael V
ID: 1990215
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

BACK with further FNDC supplies, after a walk that would have been pleasant were it not for the almost crippling fascist plantar.

They’re awful. Our Post Office lady was telling us about hers this afternoon

Keep walking on it and the pain will go away. It’s like cutting a tooth. The bone spur has to cut into the heel pad. It may take a few weeks. I think mine took three weeks or so.

Can you rub some bonjela on it?

LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:18:24
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990217
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Anyway I’m back now with the foot at a comfortable angle, and a few large pink gins will doubtless provide extra relief.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:22:40
From: Michael V
ID: 1990218
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

BACK with further FNDC supplies, after a walk that would have been pleasant were it not for the almost crippling fascist plantar.

They’re awful. Our Post Office lady was telling us about hers this afternoon

Keep walking on it and the pain will go away. It’s like cutting a tooth. The bone spur has to cut into the heel pad. It may take a few weeks. I think mine took three weeks or so.

I don’t think there’s any spur involved. Often there isn’t, according to the experts.

>WHAT IS PLANTAR FASCIITIS?

Plantar fasciitis is a painful inflammatory heel condition affecting the large ligament-type structure in the base of the foot that can cause arch pain and heel pain. The plantar fascia can become thick and inflamed due to the irritation at its attachment, at the base of the heel bone. In some patients, small tears can develop and these people suffer from acute pain that can be excruciating. Sometimes, on x-ray, heel spurs (bone spurs) can be seen, but these are not usually the cause of the patient’s heel pain.

It should be noted that “heel spurs” is a misleading diagnosis that has been used by podiatrists and doctors for many years. More and more practitioners today are open to the fact that heel spurs are not the problem and that these bone spurs don’t cause pain. Instead, the source of pain is the inflammation within the plantar fascia surrounding the spur itself.

https://sydneyheelpain.com.au/what-is-plantar-fasciitis/

Amazing how knowledge and expertise can change in just a few years.

The imaging specialist wrote in his report to my GP that it was a heel spur causing the PF. In any case, mine went away in a short time whilst I continued to walk on it. I did not get special shoes made (as recommended by the Doctor). I just continued on in my thongs.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:23:45
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990219
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“”:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-03/tga-approves-psilocybin-mdma-for-treating-depression-ptsd/101929578

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:24:20
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990220
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


“Australia’s medical regulator has approved the use of psychedelics to treat some mental health conditions, making the country one of the first in the world to “officially recognise MDMA and psilocybin as medicines.

fixed

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:24:48
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990221
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Fancy car lock, 1933.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:26:14
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990222
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

Michael V said:

They’re awful. Our Post Office lady was telling us about hers this afternoon

Keep walking on it and the pain will go away. It’s like cutting a tooth. The bone spur has to cut into the heel pad. It may take a few weeks. I think mine took three weeks or so.

I don’t think there’s any spur involved. Often there isn’t, according to the experts.

>WHAT IS PLANTAR FASCIITIS?

Plantar fasciitis is a painful inflammatory heel condition affecting the large ligament-type structure in the base of the foot that can cause arch pain and heel pain. The plantar fascia can become thick and inflamed due to the irritation at its attachment, at the base of the heel bone. In some patients, small tears can develop and these people suffer from acute pain that can be excruciating. Sometimes, on x-ray, heel spurs (bone spurs) can be seen, but these are not usually the cause of the patient’s heel pain.

It should be noted that “heel spurs” is a misleading diagnosis that has been used by podiatrists and doctors for many years. More and more practitioners today are open to the fact that heel spurs are not the problem and that these bone spurs don’t cause pain. Instead, the source of pain is the inflammation within the plantar fascia surrounding the spur itself.

https://sydneyheelpain.com.au/what-is-plantar-fasciitis/

Amazing how knowledge and expertise can change in just a few years.

The imaging specialist wrote in his report to my GP that it was a heel spur causing the PF. In any case, mine went away in a short time whilst I continued to walk on it. I did not get special shoes made (as recommended by the Doctor). I just continued on in my thongs.

I’ve had it now and then for short periods in either foot, mysteriously coming and going.

But this left foot bout has been going for a few weeks now.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:27:04
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990223
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Fancy car lock, 1933.


And all those cars would have had stonking big engines in them, that gulped fuel like a Saturn V rocket.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:36:39
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990224
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

You could buy a (used) classic sports car for under fifty quid in those days.


Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:44:22
From: Arts
ID: 1990225
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

Michael V said:

They’re awful. Our Post Office lady was telling us about hers this afternoon

Keep walking on it and the pain will go away. It’s like cutting a tooth. The bone spur has to cut into the heel pad. It may take a few weeks. I think mine took three weeks or so.

I don’t think there’s any spur involved. Often there isn’t, according to the experts.

>WHAT IS PLANTAR FASCIITIS?

Plantar fasciitis is a painful inflammatory heel condition affecting the large ligament-type structure in the base of the foot that can cause arch pain and heel pain. The plantar fascia can become thick and inflamed due to the irritation at its attachment, at the base of the heel bone. In some patients, small tears can develop and these people suffer from acute pain that can be excruciating. Sometimes, on x-ray, heel spurs (bone spurs) can be seen, but these are not usually the cause of the patient’s heel pain.

It should be noted that “heel spurs” is a misleading diagnosis that has been used by podiatrists and doctors for many years. More and more practitioners today are open to the fact that heel spurs are not the problem and that these bone spurs don’t cause pain. Instead, the source of pain is the inflammation within the plantar fascia surrounding the spur itself.

https://sydneyheelpain.com.au/what-is-plantar-fasciitis/

Amazing how knowledge and expertise can change in just a few years.

The imaging specialist wrote in his report to my GP that it was a heel spur causing the PF. In any case, mine went away in a short time whilst I continued to walk on it. I did not get special shoes made (as recommended by the Doctor). I just continued on in my thongs.

I had some sort of injection and it cleared it right up within a day or two…

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:50:02
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990226
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


You could buy a (used) classic sports car for under fifty quid in those days.



8-litre Bentley

This is a 1936 8-litre Bentley:

That bonnet is long for a reason.

This is a 1931 Bentley tourer 8-litre engine:

It’s not an engine, it’s a wheeled powerhouse.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:52:05
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990227
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

I don’t think there’s any spur involved. Often there isn’t, according to the experts.

>WHAT IS PLANTAR FASCIITIS?

Plantar fasciitis is a painful inflammatory heel condition affecting the large ligament-type structure in the base of the foot that can cause arch pain and heel pain. The plantar fascia can become thick and inflamed due to the irritation at its attachment, at the base of the heel bone. In some patients, small tears can develop and these people suffer from acute pain that can be excruciating. Sometimes, on x-ray, heel spurs (bone spurs) can be seen, but these are not usually the cause of the patient’s heel pain.

It should be noted that “heel spurs” is a misleading diagnosis that has been used by podiatrists and doctors for many years. More and more practitioners today are open to the fact that heel spurs are not the problem and that these bone spurs don’t cause pain. Instead, the source of pain is the inflammation within the plantar fascia surrounding the spur itself.

https://sydneyheelpain.com.au/what-is-plantar-fasciitis/

Amazing how knowledge and expertise can change in just a few years.

The imaging specialist wrote in his report to my GP that it was a heel spur causing the PF. In any case, mine went away in a short time whilst I continued to walk on it. I did not get special shoes made (as recommended by the Doctor). I just continued on in my thongs.

I had some sort of injection and it cleared it right up within a day or two…

My GP didn’t offer any injection. Just said “plantar fasciitis can be a tough nut to crack” blah blah.

Suggested rolling an ice-filled water bottle under the foot if it gets bad when I’m sitting down.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:53:29
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990228
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Bubblecar said:

You could buy a (used) classic sports car for under fifty quid in those days.



8-litre Bentley

This is a 1936 8-litre Bentley:

That bonnet is long for a reason.

This is a 1931 Bentley tourer 8-litre engine:

It’s not an engine, it’s a wheeled powerhouse.

In contrast to the used cars, that was a very expensive one :)

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:56:54
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990230
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


captain_spalding said:

Bubblecar said:

You could buy a (used) classic sports car for under fifty quid in those days.



8-litre Bentley

This is a 1936 8-litre Bentley:

That bonnet is long for a reason.

This is a 1931 Bentley tourer 8-litre engine:

It’s not an engine, it’s a wheeled powerhouse.

In contrast to the used cars, that was a very expensive one :)

Guaranteed to do 120 mph.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:58:21
From: mollwollfumble
ID: 1990231
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Is there someone called “Stephen Boris” on this forum?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 19:59:43
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990232
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

captain_spalding said:

8-litre Bentley

This is a 1936 8-litre Bentley:

That bonnet is long for a reason.

This is a 1931 Bentley tourer 8-litre engine:

It’s not an engine, it’s a wheeled powerhouse.

In contrast to the used cars, that was a very expensive one :)

Guaranteed to do 120 mph.

And anything over that is just gravy.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:00:46
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990233
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


captain_spalding said:

Bubblecar said:

You could buy a (used) classic sports car for under fifty quid in those days.



8-litre Bentley

This is a 1936 8-litre Bentley:

That bonnet is long for a reason.

This is a 1931 Bentley tourer 8-litre engine:

It’s not an engine, it’s a wheeled powerhouse.

In contrast to the used cars, that was a very expensive one :)

Bentley was already owned by Rolls Royce at that stage.

W.O Bentley himself left the company in 1935 and joined Lagonda, where in 1937 he produced what’s often described as his finest car, the V-12 Rapide.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:03:22
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990234
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News”

One Nation MP calls for boost to mental health resources following father’s sudden death
ABC North and West SA / By Dixie Sulda and Narelle Graham
South Australian MLC Sarah Game is advocating for more access to mental health services throughout the state, particularly in regional areas.

Well, she’s right in her advocacy.

But really…

…who’s going to take the slightest bit of notice of what a South Australian MLC from One Nation says about anything?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:04:16
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990235
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

captain_spalding said:

8-litre Bentley

This is a 1936 8-litre Bentley:

That bonnet is long for a reason.

This is a 1931 Bentley tourer 8-litre engine:

It’s not an engine, it’s a wheeled powerhouse.

In contrast to the used cars, that was a very expensive one :)

Bentley was already owned by Rolls Royce at that stage.

W.O Bentley himself left the company in 1935 and joined Lagonda, where in 1937 he produced what’s often described as his finest car, the V-12 Rapide.

And car design has, quite obviously, never achieved such heights again.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:05:10
From: Michael V
ID: 1990237
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

mollwollfumble said:


Is there someone called “Stephen Boris” on this forum?

Why?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:05:50
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990238
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Talking about cars:

I mentioned ‘Hogan’s Heroes’ the other day.

General Buchalter’s car in that series was a ‘genuine’ Nazi limo, one of only four such cars built.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:06:13
From: mollwollfumble
ID: 1990239
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


mollwollfumble said:

Is there someone called “Stephen Boris” on this forum?

Why?

Facebook wants me to friend him.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:08:10
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990240
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Talking about cars:

I mentioned ‘Hogan’s Heroes’ the other day.

General Buchalter’s car in that series was a ‘genuine’ Nazi limo, one of only four such cars built.

Yanks confiscated it after the war?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:08:20
From: sibeen
ID: 1990241
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

mollwollfumble said:


Michael V said:

mollwollfumble said:

Is there someone called “Stephen Boris” on this forum?

Why?

Facebook wants me to friend him.

OH – GOD NO!!!!

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:09:31
From: Michael V
ID: 1990242
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

In contrast to the used cars, that was a very expensive one :)

Bentley was already owned by Rolls Royce at that stage.

W.O Bentley himself left the company in 1935 and joined Lagonda, where in 1937 he produced what’s often described as his finest car, the V-12 Rapide.

And car design has, quite obviously, never achieved such heights again.

WO Bentley reportedly said “Superchargers are an abomination! If you want more power, build a bigger engine.”

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:10:55
From: Michael V
ID: 1990243
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

mollwollfumble said:


Michael V said:

mollwollfumble said:

Is there someone called “Stephen Boris” on this forum?

Why?

Facebook wants me to friend him.

That person is: Chrispen Evan, JudgeMental or boris.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:11:40
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990244
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


captain_spalding said:

Bubblecar said:

Bentley was already owned by Rolls Royce at that stage.

W.O Bentley himself left the company in 1935 and joined Lagonda, where in 1937 he produced what’s often described as his finest car, the V-12 Rapide.

And car design has, quite obviously, never achieved such heights again.

WO Bentley reportedly said “Superchargers are an abomination! If you want more power, build a bigger engine.”

Quite clearly with a bigger fuel tank.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:12:21
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990245
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


mollwollfumble said:

Michael V said:

Why?

Facebook wants me to friend him.

That person is: Chrispen Evan, JudgeMental or boris.

He could also snorkel in bogs.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:14:20
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990246
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Assorted amazing painting of fabric.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:14:51
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990247
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

mollwollfumble said:


Michael V said:

mollwollfumble said:

Is there someone called “Stephen Boris” on this forum?

Why?

Facebook wants me to friend him.

it isn’t me making that request.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:17:57
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990248
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


mollwollfumble said:

Michael V said:

Why?

Facebook wants me to friend him.

it isn’t me making that request.

You’ll eventually get a friend.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:20:42
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990249
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


JudgeMental said:

mollwollfumble said:

Facebook wants me to friend him.

it isn’t me making that request.

You’ll eventually get a friend.

I’ve been cheated, been mistreated
When will I be loved

I’ve been put down, I’ve been pushed ‘round
When will I be loved

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:21:05
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990250
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


JudgeMental said:

mollwollfumble said:

Facebook wants me to friend him.

it isn’t me making that request.

You’ll eventually get a friend.

Sounds promising.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:21:07
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990251
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Speaking of friends, my mate who had $5 at 100 to 1 for the Heat to win the slap and tickle says he aint going to lay any of it off, he’s riding this baby all the way he said.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:22:46
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990252
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Assorted amazing painting of fabric.


A lot of work went into those depictions. You can almost smell the Omo :)

Actually all that would be dry-clean only.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:32:41
From: mollwollfumble
ID: 1990253
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


mollwollfumble said:

Michael V said:

Why?

Facebook wants me to friend him.

That person is: Chrispen Evan, JudgeMental or boris.

Thanks. Clears up a lot.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:33:39
From: Arts
ID: 1990254
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I wouldn’t be friends with anyone that Facebook tells me to

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:34:31
From: mollwollfumble
ID: 1990255
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

New? photo from James Webb. Jupiter again.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:35:47
From: mollwollfumble
ID: 1990256
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


I wouldn’t be friends with anyone that Facebook tells me to

99 times out of 100, they’re relatives of Mrs m.
She has quite an extended family.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:51:57
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990257
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Juvenile devil. I did not know that they did that.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 20:54:23
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990258
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Juvenile devil. I did not know that they did that.

It’s cuteness all the way until they bite your nose off.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:07:49
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990260
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Speaking of friends, my mate who had $5 at 100 to 1 for the Heat to win the slap and tickle says he aint going to lay any of it off, he’s riding this baby all the way he said.

And after you slapped his face, did he say ‘thanks, i needed that’?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:11:04
From: mollwollfumble
ID: 1990261
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Juvenile devil. I did not know that they did that.

It’s cuteness all the way until they bite your nose off.

A conversation at the zoo.

Keeper: “don’t get too close to the Tasmanian devils or they’ll attack you.”
Me: “I already discovered that”.
The look on the keeper’s face was interesting.

——————

Recognise this photo?
No, It’s not sandstone, it’s a recent photo of the Andromeda galaxy from Hubble.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:11:33
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990262
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Speaking of friends, my mate who had $5 at 100 to 1 for the Heat to win the slap and tickle says he aint going to lay any of it off, he’s riding this baby all the way he said.

And after you slapped his face, did he say ‘thanks, i needed that’?

Well he’s only going to lose five bucks as the worst scenario.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:14:40
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990263
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


captain_spalding said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Speaking of friends, my mate who had $5 at 100 to 1 for the Heat to win the slap and tickle says he aint going to lay any of it off, he’s riding this baby all the way he said.

And after you slapped his face, did he say ‘thanks, i needed that’?

Well he’s only going to lose five bucks as the worst scenario.

It wasn’‘t the odds that concerned me, it was the hysteria evidenced by his language.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:16:02
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990264
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Brooksie’s latest.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:16:22
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990265
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:16:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990266
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

mollwollfumble said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

Juvenile devil. I did not know that they did that.

It’s cuteness all the way until they bite your nose off.

A conversation at the zoo.

Keeper: “don’t get too close to the Tasmanian devils or they’ll attack you.”
Me: “I already discovered that”.
The look on the keeper’s face was interesting.

——————

Recognise this photo?
No, It’s not sandstone, it’s a recent photo of the Andromeda galaxy from Hubble.


Looks a bit like analogue TV static.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:19:40
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990267
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Brooksie’s latest.

Intriguing, but I don’t really understand that foreground structure.

Looks like some kind of metal sculpture.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:25:34
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990268
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

And after you slapped his face, did he say ‘thanks, i needed that’?

Well he’s only going to lose five bucks as the worst scenario.

It wasn’‘t the odds that concerned me, it was the hysteria evidenced by his language.

Almost frothing at the mouth?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:28:07
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990269
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Juvenile devil. I did not know that they did that.

I doubt that the adults are so limber.

https://www.aussieark.org.au/

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:28:31
From: ms spock
ID: 1990270
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


captain_spalding said:

Peak Warming Man said:

The person who wrote this article could well be a closet round earther.
They say ‘around’ to start with then correct it to the more conventional ‘across’
Make no mistake there are still some round earthers out there.

No one who understands navigation believes in a flat Earth.

Spherical trigonometry is the basis of navigation. It just would not work on a flat Earth.

They’re even among us.

It can’t be truth. There can’t be round earthers here?

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:28:54
From: ms spock
ID: 1990271
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

captain_spalding said:

No one who understands navigation believes in a flat Earth.

Spherical trigonometry is the basis of navigation. It just would not work on a flat Earth.

They’re even among us.

Round Earthers right here on the bench beside me!

***GOES WHITE AND LOOKS SHOCKED***

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:29:45
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990272
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Brooksie’s latest.

Intriguing, but I don’t really understand that foreground structure.

Looks like some kind of metal sculpture.

I think it might be one of those lamp stand/ashtray thingies. But with a Brooksie twist. I’m loving the gleam on the dust jackets.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:30:52
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1990273
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Brooksie’s latest.

Intriguing, but I don’t really understand that foreground structure.

Looks like some kind of metal sculpture.

It’s th

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:30:53
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1990274
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Brooksie’s latest.

Intriguing, but I don’t really understand that foreground structure.

Looks like some kind of metal sculpture.

It’s th

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:31:39
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1990275
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Brooksie’s latest.

Intriguing, but I don’t really understand that foreground structure.

Looks like some kind of metal sculpture.

It’s the old misshapen crane eating the cow-turtle. Very common motif.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:32:07
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990276
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

Brooksie’s latest.

Intriguing, but I don’t really understand that foreground structure.

Looks like some kind of metal sculpture.

It’s the old misshapen crane eating the cow-turtle. Very common motif.

This.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:40:00
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990277
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Old London Photographs
Old Pictures. · 20 m ·
The skull of Joseph Merrick, also known as the Elephant Man. The entire skeleton is on display in the Royal London Hospital.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:40:49
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990278
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

Brooksie’s latest.

Intriguing, but I don’t really understand that foreground structure.

Looks like some kind of metal sculpture.

It’s the old misshapen crane eating the cow-turtle. Very common motif.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:41:03
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990279
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:



On the other hand, the scammers are not all exactly criminal geniuses, either.

As this sample pic of the compliance into which they themselves can be inveigled demonstrates:

For much more similar jollity:

https://www.419eater.com/

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:41:17
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990280
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Old London Photographs
Old Pictures. · 20 m ·
The skull of Joseph Merrick, also known as the Elephant Man. The entire skeleton is on display in the Royal London Hospital.

Pass.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:42:00
From: buffy
ID: 1990281
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Couldn’t find Last Train to Lisbon on the SBS on demand thing. So we watched The Mystery of Henri Pick. Quite good. Neither of us saw the answer.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:46:40
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990282
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

Brooksie’s latest.

Intriguing, but I don’t really understand that foreground structure.

Looks like some kind of metal sculpture.

I think it might be one of those lamp stand/ashtray thingies. But with a Brooksie twist. I’m loving the gleam on the dust jackets.

I’m not surprised he has those particular volumes on his shelves :)

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:48:44
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990283
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Intriguing, but I don’t really understand that foreground structure.

Looks like some kind of metal sculpture.

I think it might be one of those lamp stand/ashtray thingies. But with a Brooksie twist. I’m loving the gleam on the dust jackets.

I’m not surprised he has those particular volumes on his shelves :)

It’s probably a great little library.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:50:20
From: Kingy
ID: 1990284
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Old London Photographs
Old Pictures. · 20 m ·
The skull of Joseph Merrick, also known as the Elephant Man. The entire skeleton is on display in the Royal London Hospital.

Bone cancer is very unpleasant.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:53:17
From: Kingy
ID: 1990285
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

They’re even among us.

Round Earthers right here on the bench beside me!

***GOES WHITE AND LOOKS SHOCKED***

There are quite a lot of Oblate Spheroidists on this forum too.

I think there is one quite close to you. Don’t believe his claims, it’s turtles all the way down.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 21:54:26
From: mollwollfumble
ID: 1990286
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A Garella is a cross between a galah x little corella.

I hadn’t known that they could cross breed.

Here are pictures of two of them.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 22:10:30
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990288
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

mollwollfumble said:


A Garella is a cross between a galah x little corella.

I hadn’t known that they could cross breed.

Here are pictures of two of them.


Don’t do it again.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 22:23:58
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990289
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Watching Quatermass 2 (1957), the Hammer film of the TV series.

Like The Quatermass Experiment, it has lots of cosy nocturnal scenes, such as this view of the radio telescope control room.

Also, Sid James is in this one, doing a role played by Roger Delgado in the TV series.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 22:27:02
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990290
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News:

‘Frustrated Texans endure winter storm with no power or heat
Hundreds of thousands of Texans shiver without power for a second day as an icy winter storm reminds the state’s residents of a deadly 2021 blackout.’‘

What’s their problem?

Thanks to Ron de Santis, Florida has lots and lots of books that have been removed from Florida schools.

They could be sent to Texas, where the peasantry could burn them to keep warm, and simultaneously satisfy the fascist tastes of de Santis and Texas governor Greg Abbott.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 22:34:48
From: btm
ID: 1990291
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Couldn’t find Last Train to Lisbon on the SBS on demand thing. So we watched The Mystery of Henri Pick. Quite good. Neither of us saw the answer.

There was a Night Train to Lisbon (I’ve got a copy of that around here somewhere), but I don’t know of a Last Train to Lisbon.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 22:37:12
From: sibeen
ID: 1990292
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


buffy said:

Couldn’t find Last Train to Lisbon on the SBS on demand thing. So we watched The Mystery of Henri Pick. Quite good. Neither of us saw the answer.

There was a Night Train to Lisbon (I’ve got a copy of that around here somewhere), but I don’t know of a Last Train to Lisbon.

Buffy was probably thinking of Last Train to Clarksville.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 23:28:40
From: furious
ID: 1990293
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


btm said:

buffy said:

Couldn’t find Last Train to Lisbon on the SBS on demand thing. So we watched The Mystery of Henri Pick. Quite good. Neither of us saw the answer.

There was a Night Train to Lisbon (I’ve got a copy of that around here somewhere), but I don’t know of a Last Train to Lisbon.

Buffy was probably thinking of Last Train to Clarksville.

Last train to Freo…

Reply Quote

Date: 3/02/2023 23:28:46
From: furious
ID: 1990294
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


btm said:

buffy said:

Couldn’t find Last Train to Lisbon on the SBS on demand thing. So we watched The Mystery of Henri Pick. Quite good. Neither of us saw the answer.

There was a Night Train to Lisbon (I’ve got a copy of that around here somewhere), but I don’t know of a Last Train to Lisbon.

Buffy was probably thinking of Last Train to Clarksville.

Last train to Freo…

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 01:55:26
From: Michael V
ID: 1990313
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

furious said:


sibeen said:

btm said:

There was a Night Train to Lisbon (I’ve got a copy of that around here somewhere), but I don’t know of a Last Train to Lisbon.

Buffy was probably thinking of Last Train to Clarksville.

Last train to Freo…

I took the last train to Tenterfield, NSW. I helped turn the steam locomotive on the turntable. Balancing was the thing.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 02:24:20
From: dv
ID: 1990321
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

quote=sibeen]
dv said:


Bloody hell, my list is in the header links. I’m going to have to take updating it seriously.

I’m normally not one to complain, nor to call out fault; but I have been biting my tongue in this case.

Sadly I sometimes have other duties

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 02:27:03
From: furious
ID: 1990322
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


quote=sibeen]
dv said:

Bloody hell, my list is in the header links. I’m going to have to take updating it seriously.

I’m normally not one to complain, nor to call out fault; but I have been biting my tongue in this case.

Sadly I sometimes have other duties

You’re famous now, that’s a lot to live up to…

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 02:41:01
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1990323
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

1.2-Million-Year Old Obsidian Axes Found in Ethiopia

ROME, ITALY—According to a Vice report, some 575 hand axes made of obsidian have been discovered at the site of Melka Kunture, which is located in Ethiopia’s Awash River Valley, by a team of researchers led by Margherita Mussi of the Sapienza University of Rome. The tools have been dated to 1.2 million years ago, pushing back the use of obsidian tools by 500,000 years.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 02:42:45
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1990324
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Is Wolf 1069 b the Earth-like exoplanet we’ve been looking for?

Astronomers discover potential habitable exoplanet only 31 light-years from Earth.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 02:46:18
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1990326
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

furious said:

dv said:

sibeen said:

dv said:

Bloody hell, my list is in the header links. I’m going to have to take updating it seriously.

I’m normally not one to complain, nor to call out fault; but I have been biting my tongue in this case.

Sadly I sometimes have other duties

You’re famous now, that’s a lot to live up to…

we thought ‘e set it up to automatically update anyway

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 02:49:53
From: dv
ID: 1990327
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

furious said:

dv said:

Sadly I sometimes have other duties

You’re famous now, that’s a lot to live up to…

we thought ‘e set it up to automatically update anyway

Well that’s where you’re wrong boyo.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 02:55:26
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1990328
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

furious said:

dv said:

Sadly I sometimes have other duties

You’re famous now, that’s a lot to live up to…

we thought ‘e set it up to automatically update anyway

well all right but respect then since even we didn’t have the patience to scrape 800 left columns / pages of earlier threads

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 02:55:44
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1990329
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:

SCIENCE said:

furious said:

You’re famous now, that’s a lot to live up to…

we thought ‘e set it up to automatically update anyway

Well that’s where you’re wrong boyo.

well all right but respect then since even we didn’t have the patience to scrape 800 left columns / pages of earlier threads

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 03:03:06
From: dv
ID: 1990331
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Anyway it is updated now.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 03:06:57
From: sibeen
ID: 1990332
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Anyway it is updated now.

The forum gives it thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 03:09:16
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1990334
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A way to produce hydrogen directly from untreated sea water

A team of engineering and materials scientists from China, Australia and the U.S. has developed a process for using sea water to produce hydrogen without having to first pretreat the water. In their paper published in the journal Nature Energy, the group describes their new process and how well it worked compared to other processes that involve pretreated water.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 03:29:12
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1990340
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tuning into brainwave rhythms speeds up learning in adults, study finds

Scientists have shown for the first time that briefly tuning into a person’s individual brainwave cycle before they perform a learning task dramatically boosts the speed at which cognitive skills improve.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 03:33:14
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1990342
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Scientists Want to Create New ‘Quantum Light’ With Mind-Bending Powers

Quantum light would let us peer into atoms like never before, paving a way to solve longstanding mysteries in materials physics.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 03:46:13
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1990346
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

For the First Time Hubble Directly Measures Mass of a Lone White Dwarf

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 03:49:42
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990348
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A mudlarker says he has been told he has found a “rare” near-complete Roman cup from the banks of the River Thames.

Malcom Russell, 49, from London, pulled the artefact from the mud when he ventured out last week, during some of the lowest tides of the year.

He said Museum of London archaeologists believed the object might date back to the 2nd Century AD.

Mr Russell said it was “high up” on his “list of dream finds”, and his Twitter post about the find had gone viral.

Popularised by the Victorians, mudlarking involves going down to the banks of the Thames at low tide and searching for interesting historical objects.

Mr Russell, who is from Walthamstow in east London and has been mudlarking for seven years, says he “was excited about what might turn up” because “when the tide is super low obviously more of the riverbed gets exposed and you stand a greater chance of finding things”.

more..
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-64468180

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 03:56:56
From: kii
ID: 1990349
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


A mudlarker says he has been told he has found a “rare” near-complete Roman cup from the banks of the River Thames.

Malcom Russell, 49, from London, pulled the artefact from the mud when he ventured out last week, during some of the lowest tides of the year.

He said Museum of London archaeologists believed the object might date back to the 2nd Century AD.

Mr Russell said it was “high up” on his “list of dream finds”, and his Twitter post about the find had gone viral.

Popularised by the Victorians, mudlarking involves going down to the banks of the Thames at low tide and searching for interesting historical objects.

Mr Russell, who is from Walthamstow in east London and has been mudlarking for seven years, says he “was excited about what might turn up” because “when the tide is super low obviously more of the riverbed gets exposed and you stand a greater chance of finding things”.

more..
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-64468180

Wowsers! Did you see the episode of Nicola White and a friend finding two treasures. I’ll find the link…

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 03:57:34
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1990350
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


A mudlarker says he has been told he has found a “rare” near-complete Roman cup from the banks of the River Thames.

Malcom Russell, 49, from London, pulled the artefact from the mud when he ventured out last week, during some of the lowest tides of the year.

He said Museum of London archaeologists believed the object might date back to the 2nd Century AD.

Mr Russell said it was “high up” on his “list of dream finds”, and his Twitter post about the find had gone viral.

Popularised by the Victorians, mudlarking involves going down to the banks of the Thames at low tide and searching for interesting historical objects.

Mr Russell, who is from Walthamstow in east London and has been mudlarking for seven years, says he “was excited about what might turn up” because “when the tide is super low obviously more of the riverbed gets exposed and you stand a greater chance of finding things”.

more..
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-64468180

Wow, great find.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 04:01:51
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1990351
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tuning into brainwave rhythms speeds up learning in adults, study finds

Scientists have shown for the first time that briefly tuning into a person’s individual brainwave cycle before they perform a learning task dramatically boosts the speed at which cognitive skills improve.

more…

thanks

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 04:03:51
From: kii
ID: 1990352
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Found in The Mud & Straight to The London Museum

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 04:06:13
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1990354
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A 500-Year-Old ‘Paradox’ by Leonardo da Vinci Has Finally Been Solved, Study Says

More than 500 years ago, Leonardo da Vinci was watching air bubbles float up through water—as you do when you’re a Renaissance-era polymath—when he noticed that some bubbles inexplicably started spiraling or zigzagging instead of making a straight ascent to the surface.

For centuries, nobody has offered a satisfying explanation for this weird periodic deviation in the motion of some bubbles through water, which has been called “Leonardo’s paradox.”

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 04:07:26
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1990355
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:

sarahs mum said:

A mudlarker says he has been told he has found a “rare” near-complete Roman cup from the banks of the River Thames.

Malcom Russell, 49, from London, pulled the artefact from the mud when he ventured out last week, during some of the lowest tides of the year.

He said Museum of London archaeologists believed the object might date back to the 2nd Century AD.

Mr Russell said it was “high up” on his “list of dream finds”, and his Twitter post about the find had gone viral.

Popularised by the Victorians, mudlarking involves going down to the banks of the Thames at low tide and searching for interesting historical objects.

Mr Russell, who is from Walthamstow in east London and has been mudlarking for seven years, says he “was excited about what might turn up” because “when the tide is super low obviously more of the riverbed gets exposed and you stand a greater chance of finding things”.

more..
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-64468180

Wow, great find.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-03/roman-sewer-repair-reveals-statue-of-emperor-posing-as-hercules/101930192

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 04:17:09
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990356
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Found in The Mud & Straight to The London Museum

shall watch tomorrow. Ta.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 04:18:01
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1990357
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

sarahs mum said:

A mudlarker says he has been told he has found a “rare” near-complete Roman cup from the banks of the River Thames.

Malcom Russell, 49, from London, pulled the artefact from the mud when he ventured out last week, during some of the lowest tides of the year.

He said Museum of London archaeologists believed the object might date back to the 2nd Century AD.

Mr Russell said it was “high up” on his “list of dream finds”, and his Twitter post about the find had gone viral.

Popularised by the Victorians, mudlarking involves going down to the banks of the Thames at low tide and searching for interesting historical objects.

Mr Russell, who is from Walthamstow in east London and has been mudlarking for seven years, says he “was excited about what might turn up” because “when the tide is super low obviously more of the riverbed gets exposed and you stand a greater chance of finding things”.

more..
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-64468180

Wow, great find.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-03/roman-sewer-repair-reveals-statue-of-emperor-posing-as-hercules/101930192

Another Great Find…

Clunk.

Ouch, what hit me just then.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 04:18:43
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990358
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


kii said:

Found in The Mud & Straight to The London Museum

shall watch tomorrow. Ta.

oh. it’s a short. shall dive in.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 04:23:05
From: kii
ID: 1990359
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

kii said:

Found in The Mud & Straight to The London Museum

shall watch tomorrow. Ta.

oh. it’s a short. shall dive in.

Cool. Nicola gets a bit annoying, but it’s a great find. Actually the guy she’s with found it IIRC, and she digs them out.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 04:25:17
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1990360
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Found in The Mud & Straight to The London Museum

Watched that.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 04:25:58
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990361
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:

shall watch tomorrow. Ta.

oh. it’s a short. shall dive in.

Cool. Nicola gets a bit annoying, but it’s a great find. Actually the guy she’s with found it IIRC, and she digs them out.

I like nicola well enough…but i can’t handle the wind. So many of her vids are ruined with rattling wind.Yeah i know. Outside. To be expected.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 04:33:15
From: kii
ID: 1990362
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


kii said:

sarahs mum said:

oh. it’s a short. shall dive in.

Cool. Nicola gets a bit annoying, but it’s a great find. Actually the guy she’s with found it IIRC, and she digs them out.

I like nicola well enough…but i can’t handle the wind. So many of her vids are ruined with rattling wind.Yeah i know. Outside. To be expected.

I remember some videos where she’d play music over the windy bits. I sort of got overloaded with mudlarking videos…so I haven’t watched any for a while. I know they’re amateur filmmakers etc, but I was starting to do amateur psychoanalysis on them – especially the two groups that are mother/daughter.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 04:35:16
From: kii
ID: 1990363
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


sarahs mum said:

kii said:

Cool. Nicola gets a bit annoying, but it’s a great find. Actually the guy she’s with found it IIRC, and she digs them out.

I like nicola well enough…but i can’t handle the wind. So many of her vids are ruined with rattling wind.Yeah i know. Outside. To be expected.

I remember some videos where she’d play music over the windy bits. I sort of got overloaded with mudlarking videos…so I haven’t watched any for a while. I know they’re amateur filmmakers etc, but I was starting to do amateur psychoanalysis on them – especially the two groups that are mother/daughter.

Northern Mudlarks and Mudlarking with Kit and Caboodlers – the crafting videos from both groups are great. The Caboodlers started doing up an old doll’s house – which was good.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 04:49:07
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1990364
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The bubbling universe: A previously unknown phase transition in the early universe

Think of bringing a pot of water to the boil: As the temperature reaches the boiling point, bubbles form in the water, burst and evaporate as the water boils. This continues until there is no more water changing phase from liquid to steam.

This is roughly the idea of what happened in the very early universe, right after the Big Bang, 13.7 billion years ago.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 07:14:53
From: buffy
ID: 1990366
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 9 degrees and overcast. We have had quite a bit of rain (well, not by Queensland standards, but by our own Summer standards). Probably about 30mm over the past two days, extrapolating from the BoM reports for the places around us. Today we are forecast 19 degrees, with showers this morning.

Not sure what I’ll do today. Go to the bakery at 8.00am for bread an milk. Some embroidery and plant IDs this morning. Mr buffy wants to cut more firewood up, but we don’t do that in the rain. There are still more weeds at Auntie Annie’s to go into her FOGO bin. The lady she pays to do weeding and pruning hasn’t been able to fit in Annie’s lately, so I have been doing some. If I can get the prickly lettuce out before it flowers, there should be less of it next year.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 07:25:37
From: buffy
ID: 1990367
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


buffy said:

Couldn’t find Last Train to Lisbon on the SBS on demand thing. So we watched The Mystery of Henri Pick. Quite good. Neither of us saw the answer.

There was a Night Train to Lisbon (I’ve got a copy of that around here somewhere), but I don’t know of a Last Train to Lisbon.

Ooh, maybe we searched on the wrong name…

Never mind, what we watched was quite acceptable.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 07:28:07
From: buffy
ID: 1990368
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


btm said:

buffy said:

Couldn’t find Last Train to Lisbon on the SBS on demand thing. So we watched The Mystery of Henri Pick. Quite good. Neither of us saw the answer.

There was a Night Train to Lisbon (I’ve got a copy of that around here somewhere), but I don’t know of a Last Train to Lisbon.

Ooh, maybe we searched on the wrong name…

Never mind, what we watched was quite acceptable.

Nup, it’s not up o n their “on demand”. They must be just running it on World Movies only.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 07:32:11
From: transition
ID: 1990370
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Good morning Holidayers. Presently 9 degrees and overcast. We have had quite a bit of rain (well, not by Queensland standards, but by our own Summer standards). Probably about 30mm over the past two days, extrapolating from the BoM reports for the places around us. Today we are forecast 19 degrees, with showers this morning.

Not sure what I’ll do today. Go to the bakery at 8.00am for bread an milk. Some embroidery and plant IDs this morning. Mr buffy wants to cut more firewood up, but we don’t do that in the rain. There are still more weeds at Auntie Annie’s to go into her FOGO bin. The lady she pays to do weeding and pruning hasn’t been able to fit in Annie’s lately, so I have been doing some. If I can get the prickly lettuce out before it flowers, there should be less of it next year.

>30mm

save watering for a while

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 07:36:58
From: buffy
ID: 1990371
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


buffy said:

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 9 degrees and overcast. We have had quite a bit of rain (well, not by Queensland standards, but by our own Summer standards). Probably about 30mm over the past two days, extrapolating from the BoM reports for the places around us. Today we are forecast 19 degrees, with showers this morning.

Not sure what I’ll do today. Go to the bakery at 8.00am for bread an milk. Some embroidery and plant IDs this morning. Mr buffy wants to cut more firewood up, but we don’t do that in the rain. There are still more weeds at Auntie Annie’s to go into her FOGO bin. The lady she pays to do weeding and pruning hasn’t been able to fit in Annie’s lately, so I have been doing some. If I can get the prickly lettuce out before it flowers, there should be less of it next year.

>30mm

save watering for a while

A few days, anyway. Heading back up into the thirties by mid week, so we should enjoy the reprieve.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 08:15:10
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990376
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


buffy said:

btm said:

There was a Night Train to Lisbon (I’ve got a copy of that around here somewhere), but I don’t know of a Last Train to Lisbon.

Ooh, maybe we searched on the wrong name…

Never mind, what we watched was quite acceptable.

Nup, it’s not up o n their “on demand”. They must be just running it on World Movies only.

Yep. Over and over.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 08:59:55
From: Michael V
ID: 1990377
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning everybody.

Overcast, light breezes, 23.5°C and 97% RH at our place. It’s again Very Muggy this morning. BoM forecasts a good chance of rain all day, and a top of 31°C, so I expect the Very Muggy conditions to remain all day.

Agenda: More sorting of Mum’s Stuff. Pay some bills. Write some emails. Take The Patient out for an afternoon walk. Yesterday, we went down town to the pharmacy and the Post Office, then out to Carlo Point. The Patient walked around 500 metres on various footpaths. Uneven surfaces are not the go yet. We don’t have a concrete footpath on our street.

Breakfast will likely be sausage and kimchi. Lunch: maybe cold chook and salad. I might have fruit salad and ice cream like yesterday. Dinner: unknown but hopefully something cold.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 09:28:44
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1990379
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Antidepressants may be contributing to antibiotic resistance, UQ researchers find

Last year 42 million prescriptions were dispensed in this country alone. Now, researchers have revealed a dire consequence that affects all of us.

Warren Barnsley / Health & Wellbeing / Updated 2 days ago

Antidepressants – including those which are prescribed to Australians in their tens of millions each year – may be contributing to the looming public health disaster of antibiotic resistance after being found to reduce the effect of drugs to treat bacterial infections.

Common brands of antidepressants Zoloft, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta and Valdoxan were tested by University of Queensland researchers who exposed their active drugs to a strain of bacteria E. coli in plates.

Read more:

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/antidepressants-may-be-contributing-to-antibiotic-resistance-uq-researchers-find-c-9617649.amp

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 09:38:08
From: Michael V
ID: 1990380
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Good morning Holidayers. Presently 9 degrees and overcast. We have had quite a bit of rain (well, not by Queensland standards, but by our own Summer standards). Probably about 30mm over the past two days, extrapolating from the BoM reports for the places around us. Today we are forecast 19 degrees, with showers this morning.

Not sure what I’ll do today. Go to the bakery at 8.00am for bread an milk. Some embroidery and plant IDs this morning. Mr buffy wants to cut more firewood up, but we don’t do that in the rain. There are still more weeds at Auntie Annie’s to go into her FOGO bin. The lady she pays to do weeding and pruning hasn’t been able to fit in Annie’s lately, so I have been doing some. If I can get the prickly lettuce out before it flowers, there should be less of it next year.

prickly lettuce

You’ve mentioned it a couple of times, so I thought I’d better find out about it. Lactuca serriola It’s the plant that in Armidale is called “compass weed”. Wikipedia and several other sites have it as the wild progenitor of cultivated lettuce . Interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactuca_serriola

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 10:03:56
From: ms spock
ID: 1990381
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

Back for lunch. We’ve been to Digby and the Bobcat is now in the shed here.

And the car trailer is ready to go back to the place in Hamilton ($60 for a day hire).

I did a really quick wander while Mr buffy did the tiedowns. Found three hyacinth orchids in flower and one that I’d seen before and is still going Here is one of them.


Hang on, hang on, where did this here Bobcat come from?

Mr buffy bought it about 18 months ago from these folks:

https://www.clarkfarmequipment.com.au/product/1422/-Bobcat-CT2035

That is a nifty piece of equipment.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 10:08:56
From: ms spock
ID: 1990382
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dia dhaoibh Hello!

Lá scamallach agus báistí atá ann inniu! (It is an overcast and rainy day today!)

Lá iontach chun go leor fiailí a dhéanamh inniu! (A very good day to get lots of weeding done today!)

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 10:23:56
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990383
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

buffy said:

Ooh, maybe we searched on the wrong name…

Never mind, what we watched was quite acceptable.

Nup, it’s not up o n their “on demand”. They must be just running it on World Movies only.

Yep. Over and over.

SBS’s own version of ‘Pretty Woman’?

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 10:30:41
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990384
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning punters, overcast track a good 4.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 10:40:01
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990385
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


btm said:

buffy said:

Couldn’t find Last Train to Lisbon on the SBS on demand thing. So we watched The Mystery of Henri Pick. Quite good. Neither of us saw the answer.

There was a Night Train to Lisbon (I’ve got a copy of that around here somewhere), but I don’t know of a Last Train to Lisbon.

Ooh, maybe we searched on the wrong name…

Never mind, what we watched was quite acceptable.

What you watched was French I’m afraid.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 10:46:28
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990386
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:

What you watched was French I’m afraid.

It’s all right. Most people recover from exposure to something French, it’s not always fatal.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 10:52:32
From: Tamb
ID: 1990387
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


buffy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Hang on, hang on, where did this here Bobcat come from?

Mr buffy bought it about 18 months ago from these folks:

https://www.clarkfarmequipment.com.au/product/1422/-Bobcat-CT2035

That is a nifty piece of equipment.

Thanks for the name hyacinth orchid. I get them here but didn’t know their name.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 10:55:49
From: Tamb
ID: 1990389
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

Dia dhaoibh Hello!

Lá scamallach agus báistí atá ann inniu! (It is an overcast and rainy day today!)

Lá iontach chun go leor fiailí a dhéanamh inniu! (A very good day to get lots of weeding done today!)


Maidin mhaith ms.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 10:57:09
From: Tamb
ID: 1990390
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Peak Warming Man said:

What you watched was French I’m afraid.

It’s all right. Most people recover from exposure to something French, it’s not always fatal.


Unless it contains avec.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 11:10:52
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990393
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 11:56:22
From: Michael V
ID: 1990401
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


The bubbling universe: A previously unknown phase transition in the early universe

Think of bringing a pot of water to the boil: As the temperature reaches the boiling point, bubbles form in the water, burst and evaporate as the water boils. This continues until there is no more water changing phase from liquid to steam.

This is roughly the idea of what happened in the very early universe, right after the Big Bang, 13.7 billion years ago.

more…

Thanks. That was interesting.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:00:01
From: Michael V
ID: 1990403
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


A mudlarker says he has been told he has found a “rare” near-complete Roman cup from the banks of the River Thames.

Malcom Russell, 49, from London, pulled the artefact from the mud when he ventured out last week, during some of the lowest tides of the year.

He said Museum of London archaeologists believed the object might date back to the 2nd Century AD.

Mr Russell said it was “high up” on his “list of dream finds”, and his Twitter post about the find had gone viral.

Popularised by the Victorians, mudlarking involves going down to the banks of the Thames at low tide and searching for interesting historical objects.

Mr Russell, who is from Walthamstow in east London and has been mudlarking for seven years, says he “was excited about what might turn up” because “when the tide is super low obviously more of the riverbed gets exposed and you stand a greater chance of finding things”.

more..
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-64468180

Nice.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:06:37
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990405
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

A mudlarker says he has been told he has found a “rare” near-complete Roman cup from the banks of the River Thames.

Malcom Russell, 49, from London, pulled the artefact from the mud when he ventured out last week, during some of the lowest tides of the year.

He said Museum of London archaeologists believed the object might date back to the 2nd Century AD.

Mr Russell said it was “high up” on his “list of dream finds”, and his Twitter post about the find had gone viral.

Popularised by the Victorians, mudlarking involves going down to the banks of the Thames at low tide and searching for interesting historical objects.

Mr Russell, who is from Walthamstow in east London and has been mudlarking for seven years, says he “was excited about what might turn up” because “when the tide is super low obviously more of the riverbed gets exposed and you stand a greater chance of finding things”.

more..
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-64468180

Nice.

Yeah well………….apart from pottery what did they ever do for us.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:07:35
From: Michael V
ID: 1990406
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Found in The Mud & Straight to The London Museum

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:14:41
From: buffy
ID: 1990409
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


buffy said:

btm said:

There was a Night Train to Lisbon (I’ve got a copy of that around here somewhere), but I don’t know of a Last Train to Lisbon.

Ooh, maybe we searched on the wrong name…

Never mind, what we watched was quite acceptable.

What you watched was French I’m afraid.

Yes, I know. And I seem to have slipped in my French anything boycott. We’ve watched a few French movies and TV series in the past few months. I should find some German ones. I wouldn’t have to concentrate on the subtitles so intensely.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:15:36
From: buffy
ID: 1990410
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

buffy said:

Mr buffy bought it about 18 months ago from these folks:

https://www.clarkfarmequipment.com.au/product/1422/-Bobcat-CT2035

That is a nifty piece of equipment.

Thanks for the name hyacinth orchid. I get them here but didn’t know their name.

They only grow under stringybarks because they have some sort of fungus symbiosis with the roots. You can’t grow them in a pot (because you can’t grow a stringybark in a pot…)

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:15:54
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990411
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


kii said:

Found in The Mud & Straight to The London Museum

:)

Probably put in in the pool room.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:17:10
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990412
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

Ooh, maybe we searched on the wrong name…

Never mind, what we watched was quite acceptable.

What you watched was French I’m afraid.

Yes, I know. And I seem to have slipped in my French anything boycott. We’ve watched a few French movies and TV series in the past few months. I should find some German ones. I wouldn’t have to concentrate on the subtitles so intensely.

No, those long multisyllabic German words give you plenty of time to work out what they’re saying.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:18:45
From: buffy
ID: 1990413
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I have done weeding and digging and stone moving again this morning. Now I have photographed some of my plants for recording the fact that they are still flowering. Just the last few straggler flowers for the season.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:19:36
From: Tamb
ID: 1990414
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

That is a nifty piece of equipment.

Thanks for the name hyacinth orchid. I get them here but didn’t know their name.

They only grow under stringybarks because they have some sort of fungus symbiosis with the roots. You can’t grow them in a pot (because you can’t grow a stringybark in a pot…)


Maybe I’m wrong about the name. There are no stringybarks near here.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:19:48
From: buffy
ID: 1990415
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


buffy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

What you watched was French I’m afraid.

Yes, I know. And I seem to have slipped in my French anything boycott. We’ve watched a few French movies and TV series in the past few months. I should find some German ones. I wouldn’t have to concentrate on the subtitles so intensely.

No, those long multisyllabic German words give you plenty of time to work out what they’re saying.

As well as…I did German for 5 years plus a term at High School and I did French for one term. And we’ve watched a lot of Kommissar Rex.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:23:46
From: Tamb
ID: 1990417
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


captain_spalding said:

buffy said:

Yes, I know. And I seem to have slipped in my French anything boycott. We’ve watched a few French movies and TV series in the past few months. I should find some German ones. I wouldn’t have to concentrate on the subtitles so intensely.

No, those long multisyllabic German words give you plenty of time to work out what they’re saying.

As well as…I did German for 5 years plus a term at High School and I did French for one term. And we’ve watched a lot of Kommissar Rex.

:)


My French is barely passable but part way through a French comedy I find I’m no longer reading the subtitles.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:24:40
From: buffy
ID: 1990418
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


buffy said:

Tamb said:

Thanks for the name hyacinth orchid. I get them here but didn’t know their name.

They only grow under stringybarks because they have some sort of fungus symbiosis with the roots. You can’t grow them in a pot (because you can’t grow a stringybark in a pot…)


Maybe I’m wrong about the name. There are no stringybarks near here.

You do have them in Queensland. Here is the link to the iNaturalist observations for Dipodium. You have some different ones as well as what we have. If you click on the “map” thing (Top left) you get distribution.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=7308&taxon_id=140795

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:25:46
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990420
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

That is a nifty piece of equipment.

Thanks for the name hyacinth orchid. I get them here but didn’t know their name.

They only grow under stringybarks because they have some sort of fungus symbiosis with the roots. You can’t grow them in a pot (because you can’t grow a stringybark in a pot…)

or not for very long anyway.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:26:05
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990422
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:

As well as…I did German for 5 years plus a term at High School and I did French for one term. And we’ve watched a lot of Kommissar Rex.

:)

I must have seen every episode of that show fourtimes.

I can’t speak German, but…

…one evening, i was on the couch and Rex was on TV, for the umpteenth repeat. I was doing something else at the time, so not watching closely.

But, i suddenly realised that, despite not looking at the screen, i had been following the dialogue.

Shows you how ‘immersion’ can teach language. I must have absorbed enough over the years to have some level of understanding.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:26:53
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990423
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I have done weeding and digging and stone moving again this morning. Now I have photographed some of my plants for recording the fact that they are still flowering. Just the last few straggler flowers for the season.


Very scientific.
What species is the lighter one?

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:27:23
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990424
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


buffy said:

Tamb said:

Thanks for the name hyacinth orchid. I get them here but didn’t know their name.

They only grow under stringybarks because they have some sort of fungus symbiosis with the roots. You can’t grow them in a pot (because you can’t grow a stringybark in a pot…)


Maybe I’m wrong about the name. There are no stringybarks near here.

Check potato orchid?

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:27:34
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990425
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


buffy said:

captain_spalding said:

No, those long multisyllabic German words give you plenty of time to work out what they’re saying.

As well as…I did German for 5 years plus a term at High School and I did French for one term. And we’ve watched a lot of Kommissar Rex.

:)


My French is barely passable but part way through a French comedy I find I’m no longer reading the subtitles.

Try watching the French news on TV. They speak lovely, easily-understood French.

Then they cut to a ‘man-in-the-street’ interview, and whoa, slow ‘er down a bit there, Tex!

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:28:21
From: Michael V
ID: 1990427
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


1.2-Million-Year Old Obsidian Axes Found in Ethiopia

ROME, ITALY—According to a Vice report, some 575 hand axes made of obsidian have been discovered at the site of Melka Kunture, which is located in Ethiopia’s Awash River Valley, by a team of researchers led by Margherita Mussi of the Sapienza University of Rome. The tools have been dated to 1.2 million years ago, pushing back the use of obsidian tools by 500,000 years.

more…

Thanks.

More info about this tool factory here:

https://archaeologymag.com/2023/01/obsidian-handaxe-making-workshop-found-in-ethiopia/

And the original paper’s abstract here:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-022-01970-1

And some photos of these 1.2 million year old hominin obsidian tools:

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:28:59
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990428
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


captain_spalding said:

buffy said:

Yes, I know. And I seem to have slipped in my French anything boycott. We’ve watched a few French movies and TV series in the past few months. I should find some German ones. I wouldn’t have to concentrate on the subtitles so intensely.

No, those long multisyllabic German words give you plenty of time to work out what they’re saying.

As well as…I did German for 5 years plus a term at High School and I did French for one term. And we’ve watched a lot of Kommissar Rex.

:)

English is Germanic in part.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:30:17
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990429
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

1.2-Million-Year Old Obsidian Axes Found in Ethiopia

ROME, ITALY—According to a Vice report, some 575 hand axes made of obsidian have been discovered at the site of Melka Kunture, which is located in Ethiopia’s Awash River Valley, by a team of researchers led by Margherita Mussi of the Sapienza University of Rome. The tools have been dated to 1.2 million years ago, pushing back the use of obsidian tools by 500,000 years.

more…

Thanks.

More info about this tool factory here:

https://archaeologymag.com/2023/01/obsidian-handaxe-making-workshop-found-in-ethiopia/

And the original paper’s abstract here:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-022-01970-1

And some photos of these 1.2 million year old hominin obsidian tools:


Nice sharp blades by the looks.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:30:29
From: Tamb
ID: 1990430
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Tamb said:

buffy said:

They only grow under stringybarks because they have some sort of fungus symbiosis with the roots. You can’t grow them in a pot (because you can’t grow a stringybark in a pot…)


Maybe I’m wrong about the name. There are no stringybarks near here.

You do have them in Queensland. Here is the link to the iNaturalist observations for Dipodium. You have some different ones as well as what we have. If you click on the “map” thing (Top left) you get distribution.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=7308&taxon_id=140795

Thank you. Leafy hyacinth orchid exactly where the dot is on the map.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:31:03
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990432
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

1.2-Million-Year Old Obsidian Axes Found in Ethiopia

ROME, ITALY—According to a Vice report, some 575 hand axes made of obsidian have been discovered at the site of Melka Kunture, which is located in Ethiopia’s Awash River Valley, by a team of researchers led by Margherita Mussi of the Sapienza University of Rome. The tools have been dated to 1.2 million years ago, pushing back the use of obsidian tools by 500,000 years.

more…

Thanks.

More info about this tool factory here:

https://archaeologymag.com/2023/01/obsidian-handaxe-making-workshop-found-in-ethiopia/

And the original paper’s abstract here:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-022-01970-1

And some photos of these 1.2 million year old hominin obsidian tools:


I remember coming across a question about ‘why don’t they make scalpel blades from obsidian, if it can be so super-sharp?’, and i think the answer was that yeah, it’s super-sharp, but it also goes blunt super-quick.

Is that right?

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:31:51
From: transition
ID: 1990433
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:



just showed lady that, she has a good chuckle

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:32:16
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990434
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


buffy said:

Tamb said:

Maybe I’m wrong about the name. There are no stringybarks near here.

You do have them in Queensland. Here is the link to the iNaturalist observations for Dipodium. You have some different ones as well as what we have. If you click on the “map” thing (Top left) you get distribution.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=7308&taxon_id=140795

Thank you. Leafy hyacinth orchid exactly where the dot is on the map.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:33:51
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990435
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Michael V said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

1.2-Million-Year Old Obsidian Axes Found in Ethiopia

ROME, ITALY—According to a Vice report, some 575 hand axes made of obsidian have been discovered at the site of Melka Kunture, which is located in Ethiopia’s Awash River Valley, by a team of researchers led by Margherita Mussi of the Sapienza University of Rome. The tools have been dated to 1.2 million years ago, pushing back the use of obsidian tools by 500,000 years.

more…

Thanks.

More info about this tool factory here:

https://archaeologymag.com/2023/01/obsidian-handaxe-making-workshop-found-in-ethiopia/

And the original paper’s abstract here:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-022-01970-1

And some photos of these 1.2 million year old hominin obsidian tools:


I remember coming across a question about ‘why don’t they make scalpel blades from obsidian, if it can be so super-sharp?’, and i think the answer was that yeah, it’s super-sharp, but it also goes blunt super-quick.

Is that right?

Like any blade, they need constant resharpening only in the case of obsidian, too much loss of material is required. Meaning they do wear down very quickly.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:34:48
From: Tamb
ID: 1990436
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Tamb said:

buffy said:

As well as…I did German for 5 years plus a term at High School and I did French for one term. And we’ve watched a lot of Kommissar Rex.

:)


My French is barely passable but part way through a French comedy I find I’m no longer reading the subtitles.

Try watching the French news on TV. They speak lovely, easily-understood French.

Then they cut to a ‘man-in-the-street’ interview, and whoa, slow ‘er down a bit there, Tex!


That’s what I do before going overseas. Watch the news from the target country. Even picked a bit of Russian doing that.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:41:33
From: Michael V
ID: 1990441
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Tamb said:

buffy said:

They only grow under stringybarks because they have some sort of fungus symbiosis with the roots. You can’t grow them in a pot (because you can’t grow a stringybark in a pot…)


Maybe I’m wrong about the name. There are no stringybarks near here.

You do have them in Queensland. Here is the link to the iNaturalist observations for Dipodium. You have some different ones as well as what we have. If you click on the “map” thing (Top left) you get distribution.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=7308&taxon_id=140795

Interesting, thanks. I have seen one of the species recorded here (slender), but not the other (yellow)

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:45:49
From: Michael V
ID: 1990445
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


buffy said:

Tamb said:

Maybe I’m wrong about the name. There are no stringybarks near here.

You do have them in Queensland. Here is the link to the iNaturalist observations for Dipodium. You have some different ones as well as what we have. If you click on the “map” thing (Top left) you get distribution.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=7308&taxon_id=140795

Thank you. Leafy hyacinth orchid exactly where the dot is on the map.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:51:29
From: Michael V
ID: 1990451
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Michael V said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

1.2-Million-Year Old Obsidian Axes Found in Ethiopia

ROME, ITALY—According to a Vice report, some 575 hand axes made of obsidian have been discovered at the site of Melka Kunture, which is located in Ethiopia’s Awash River Valley, by a team of researchers led by Margherita Mussi of the Sapienza University of Rome. The tools have been dated to 1.2 million years ago, pushing back the use of obsidian tools by 500,000 years.

more…

Thanks.

More info about this tool factory here:

https://archaeologymag.com/2023/01/obsidian-handaxe-making-workshop-found-in-ethiopia/

And the original paper’s abstract here:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-022-01970-1

And some photos of these 1.2 million year old hominin obsidian tools:


I remember coming across a question about ‘why don’t they make scalpel blades from obsidian, if it can be so super-sharp?’, and i think the answer was that yeah, it’s super-sharp, but it also goes blunt super-quick.

Is that right?

Shouldn’t be. Obsidian is a glass so has a hardness between 6 and 7. Scalpel blade likely has a hardness between 5.5 and 6.5.

Obsidian is very brittle (like most glasses). Steel scalpels are quite elastic and somewhat flexible. I think flexible would be better – less likely to shatter into tiny pieces.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:55:33
From: buffy
ID: 1990455
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Now this is cute. A pygmy possum photographed in the Little Desert in November.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:56:34
From: buffy
ID: 1990457
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

I have done weeding and digging and stone moving again this morning. Now I have photographed some of my plants for recording the fact that they are still flowering. Just the last few straggler flowers for the season.


Very scientific.
What species is the lighter one?

I think, not sure, Dianella callicarpa.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:56:59
From: buffy
ID: 1990459
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


buffy said:

As well as…I did German for 5 years plus a term at High School and I did French for one term. And we’ve watched a lot of Kommissar Rex.

:)

I must have seen every episode of that show fourtimes.

I can’t speak German, but…

…one evening, i was on the couch and Rex was on TV, for the umpteenth repeat. I was doing something else at the time, so not watching closely.

But, i suddenly realised that, despite not looking at the screen, i had been following the dialogue.

Shows you how ‘immersion’ can teach language. I must have absorbed enough over the years to have some level of understanding.

“Such, Rex!!”

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:57:18
From: buffy
ID: 1990460
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tamb said:

buffy said:

They only grow under stringybarks because they have some sort of fungus symbiosis with the roots. You can’t grow them in a pot (because you can’t grow a stringybark in a pot…)


Maybe I’m wrong about the name. There are no stringybarks near here.

Check potato orchid?

Very dull by comparison.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:58:21
From: buffy
ID: 1990462
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Tamb said:

buffy said:

As well as…I did German for 5 years plus a term at High School and I did French for one term. And we’ve watched a lot of Kommissar Rex.

:)


My French is barely passable but part way through a French comedy I find I’m no longer reading the subtitles.

Try watching the French news on TV. They speak lovely, easily-understood French.

Then they cut to a ‘man-in-the-street’ interview, and whoa, slow ‘er down a bit there, Tex!

I prefer Hochdeutsch, because that is how I was taught. Rex is good, because it is clear Hochdeutsh. Something else we watched took me a while to click in because it was more street German.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:59:01
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990463
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


captain_spalding said:

Michael V said:

Thanks.

More info about this tool factory here:

https://archaeologymag.com/2023/01/obsidian-handaxe-making-workshop-found-in-ethiopia/

And the original paper’s abstract here:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-022-01970-1

And some photos of these 1.2 million year old hominin obsidian tools:


I remember coming across a question about ‘why don’t they make scalpel blades from obsidian, if it can be so super-sharp?’, and i think the answer was that yeah, it’s super-sharp, but it also goes blunt super-quick.

Is that right?

Shouldn’t be. Obsidian is a glass so has a hardness between 6 and 7. Scalpel blade likely has a hardness between 5.5 and 6.5.

Obsidian is very brittle (like most glasses). Steel scalpels are quite elastic and somewhat flexible. I think flexible would be better – less likely to shatter into tiny pieces.

one surgeon did an eye op with an obsidian blade.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/1981/01/01/doctor-archeologist-find-new-use-for-ancient-tool/2ffcd6e9-b1a9-4aae-b6dc-8c2846d08dd2/

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 12:59:52
From: buffy
ID: 1990464
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


buffy said:

Tamb said:

Maybe I’m wrong about the name. There are no stringybarks near here.

You do have them in Queensland. Here is the link to the iNaturalist observations for Dipodium. You have some different ones as well as what we have. If you click on the “map” thing (Top left) you get distribution.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=7308&taxon_id=140795

Thank you. Leafy hyacinth orchid exactly where the dot is on the map.

So one of your neighbours submits to iNaturalist. Or a passing person did.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 13:00:07
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990465
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“The Canadian government on Friday suspended proposed sanctions on gun control legislation banning certain types of rifles and shotguns, a package of measures introduced in the wake of the Uvalade shooting that would have sparked controversy among affected farmers and hunters.”

It takes a politician of substance to go through with these sorts of reforms.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 13:01:33
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990466
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


captain_spalding said:

Tamb said:

My French is barely passable but part way through a French comedy I find I’m no longer reading the subtitles.

Try watching the French news on TV. They speak lovely, easily-understood French.

Then they cut to a ‘man-in-the-street’ interview, and whoa, slow ‘er down a bit there, Tex!

I prefer Hochdeutsch, because that is how I was taught. Rex is good, because it is clear Hochdeutsh. Something else we watched took me a while to click in because it was more street German.

Vulgar or classical German?

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 13:01:38
From: Michael V
ID: 1990467
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Now this is cute. A pygmy possum photographed in the Little Desert in November.


Nice one. Looks like we are somewhat north of the eastern pygmy possum’s range.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 13:02:10
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990468
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

I have done weeding and digging and stone moving again this morning. Now I have photographed some of my plants for recording the fact that they are still flowering. Just the last few straggler flowers for the season.


Very scientific.
What species is the lighter one?

I think, not sure, Dianella callicarpa.

One I’ve not seen before.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 13:16:25
From: party_pants
ID: 1990470
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


“The Canadian government on Friday suspended proposed sanctions on gun control legislation banning certain types of rifles and shotguns, a package of measures introduced in the wake of the Uvalade shooting that would have sparked controversy among affected farmers and hunters.”

It takes a politician of substance to go through with these sorts of reforms.

Yes. Unfortunately for Canada they voted in Trudeau.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 13:19:48
From: Michael V
ID: 1990472
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Peak Warming Man said:

“The Canadian government on Friday suspended proposed sanctions on gun control legislation banning certain types of rifles and shotguns, a package of measures introduced in the wake of the Uvalade shooting that would have sparked controversy among affected farmers and hunters.”

It takes a politician of substance to go through with these sorts of reforms.

Yes. Unfortunately for Canada they voted in Trudeau.

Pretty-boy Trudeau…

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 13:33:03
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1990474
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

The bubbling universe: A previously unknown phase transition in the early universe

Think of bringing a pot of water to the boil: As the temperature reaches the boiling point, bubbles form in the water, burst and evaporate as the water boils. This continues until there is no more water changing phase from liquid to steam.

This is roughly the idea of what happened in the very early universe, right after the Big Bang, 13.7 billion years ago.

more…

Thanks. That was interesting.

:)

But did they take account of “Leonardo’s Paradox” in their analysis? :)

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 13:40:51
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1990475
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

1.2-Million-Year Old Obsidian Axes Found in Ethiopia

ROME, ITALY—According to a Vice report, some 575 hand axes made of obsidian have been discovered at the site of Melka Kunture, which is located in Ethiopia’s Awash River Valley, by a team of researchers led by Margherita Mussi of the Sapienza University of Rome. The tools have been dated to 1.2 million years ago, pushing back the use of obsidian tools by 500,000 years.

more…

Thanks.

More info about this tool factory here:

https://archaeologymag.com/2023/01/obsidian-handaxe-making-workshop-found-in-ethiopia/

And the original paper’s abstract here:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-022-01970-1

And some photos of these 1.2 million year old hominin obsidian tools:


Highly skilled manufacture too, they obviously were pretty bright people for the time.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 13:44:48
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1990476
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Michael V said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

1.2-Million-Year Old Obsidian Axes Found in Ethiopia

ROME, ITALY—According to a Vice report, some 575 hand axes made of obsidian have been discovered at the site of Melka Kunture, which is located in Ethiopia’s Awash River Valley, by a team of researchers led by Margherita Mussi of the Sapienza University of Rome. The tools have been dated to 1.2 million years ago, pushing back the use of obsidian tools by 500,000 years.

more…

Thanks.

More info about this tool factory here:

https://archaeologymag.com/2023/01/obsidian-handaxe-making-workshop-found-in-ethiopia/

And the original paper’s abstract here:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-022-01970-1

And some photos of these 1.2 million year old hominin obsidian tools:


I remember coming across a question about ‘why don’t they make scalpel blades from obsidian, if it can be so super-sharp?’, and i think the answer was that yeah, it’s super-sharp, but it also goes blunt super-quick.

Is that right?

Some cutting edges are still extremely sharp after thousands of years. Probably modern surgeons are not very good nappers.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 13:46:28
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990477
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


captain_spalding said:

Michael V said:

Thanks.

More info about this tool factory here:

https://archaeologymag.com/2023/01/obsidian-handaxe-making-workshop-found-in-ethiopia/

And the original paper’s abstract here:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-022-01970-1

And some photos of these 1.2 million year old hominin obsidian tools:


I remember coming across a question about ‘why don’t they make scalpel blades from obsidian, if it can be so super-sharp?’, and i think the answer was that yeah, it’s super-sharp, but it also goes blunt super-quick.

Is that right?

Some cutting edges are still extremely sharp after thousands of years. Probably modern surgeons are not very good nappers.

This.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 13:48:21
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990478
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Tamb said:

buffy said:

You do have them in Queensland. Here is the link to the iNaturalist observations for Dipodium. You have some different ones as well as what we have. If you click on the “map” thing (Top left) you get distribution.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=7308&taxon_id=140795

Thank you. Leafy hyacinth orchid exactly where the dot is on the map.

:)

Note: No leafless species of Dipodium has been sustained in cultivation due to the inability to replicate its association with mycorrhizal fungi in a horticultural context.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 13:49:59
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1990479
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

‘Could this possibly be?’: Hobbyist finds 500-year-old pendant linked to Henry VIII

By Daniel Victor
February 4, 2023 — 11.05am

London: Charlie Clarke, a 34-year-old cafe owner in Birmingham, England, was feeling down about losing his dog to cancer, so he went over to a friend’s place in the countryside to take a stroll and get some fresh air. He brought his metal detector with him, gear for the new hobby he had picked up six months earlier.

When he heard the unusually loud beeps emitted while he walked on his friend’s property in nearby Warwickshire, he thought he had probably come across a soda can. Instead, about a foot (30 cms) down into the earth, he happened upon a treasure that has electrified researchers and could very well change the course of his family’s future.

A chain with a pendant, associated with Henry VIII and his first wife, Katherine of Aragon. The heart shaped pendant was found by a metal detectorist in Warwickshire.

Clarke pulled up a gold chain and heart-shaped pendant, adorned with symbols his friend recognised as connected to Henry VIII and his first wife, Katherine of Aragon. At first, he thought it must have been from a costume, but it seemed far too heavy for that, he said in an interview Friday.

“I knew it was special,” he said.

The pendant itself was an ornate spectacle: The front was decorated with a pomegranate bush, an emblem of Katherine, and an entwined, double-headed Tudor rose, which was employed by the Tudors starting in 1486. On the other side, the letters H and K — for Henry and Katherine — were written in Lombardic script and connected by a ribbon.

There hasn’t been anything comparable dating from the Renaissance era found in the past 100 years, said one expert.

By law, those who find treasure in Britain are required to report their finds, allowing museums the chance to acquire them, paying a fee that is split evenly between the finder and the landowner. After finding the pendant, in 2019, Clarke first brought it to an expert in Birmingham, who he recalled was “shaking when she held it, her jaw was on the floor”.

It was then sent to the British Museum, where researchers were similarly agog.

“We all thought: My goodness, is this for real? Could this possibly be?” Rachel King, curator of Renaissance Europe for the British Museum, said in an interview on Friday.

Researchers have confirmed the pendant’s authenticity, placing it at about 500 years old, but those who have examined it are left to speculate on the story behind it. It appeared to be hastily crafted, seemingly built more to be seen than to endure, King said. The chain is small, suggesting that someone of a slight stature was meant to wear it.

The chain with a pendant is linked with King Henry VIII and his first wife, Katherine of Aragon and a silver strap-end depicting a bird-like animal, dating back to the 14th century. Both objects were found by metal detectorists.

King said there were no portraits from the period showing men or women wearing jewels of the type, but one thing was for certain: Henry VIII loved to party. One hypothesis holds that it was created for a banquet or as a prize for a jousting tournament; winners could have worn it or melted it down for the gold, she said.

No one knows how it might have ended up in the field in Warwickshire; it could have been buried by someone trying to protect it, or perhaps by a thief trying to hide their loot, she said.

But King said the pendant was the most significant find in the 25 years since the government began recording British treasure finds, and there hasn’t been anything comparable dating from the Renaissance era found in the past 100 years, she said. She also said that most items connected to Katherine had been destroyed, and that there was “very, very little that keeps her memory alive”.

When the item is eventually sold, likely for a hefty fee, the money will be split between Clarke and his friend, the landowner. Clarke said that the money could be life-changing for him and his 4-year-old son.

“Birmingham’s a pretty rough place, right where I’m from,” he said. “If I could get him some good education out of this, that’s the benefit of it all.”

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/could-this-possibly-be-hobbyist-finds-500-year-old-pendant-linked-to-henry-viii-20230204-p5chvx.html

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 13:56:23
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990480
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


‘Could this possibly be?’: Hobbyist finds 500-year-old pendant linked to Henry VIII

By Daniel Victor
February 4, 2023 — 11.05am

London: Charlie Clarke, a 34-year-old cafe owner in Birmingham, England, was feeling down about losing his dog to cancer, so he went over to a friend’s place in the countryside to take a stroll and get some fresh air. He brought his metal detector with him, gear for the new hobby he had picked up six months earlier.

When he heard the unusually loud beeps emitted while he walked on his friend’s property in nearby Warwickshire, he thought he had probably come across a soda can. Instead, about a foot (30 cms) down into the earth, he happened upon a treasure that has electrified researchers and could very well change the course of his family’s future.

A chain with a pendant, associated with Henry VIII and his first wife, Katherine of Aragon. The heart shaped pendant was found by a metal detectorist in Warwickshire.

Clarke pulled up a gold chain and heart-shaped pendant, adorned with symbols his friend recognised as connected to Henry VIII and his first wife, Katherine of Aragon. At first, he thought it must have been from a costume, but it seemed far too heavy for that, he said in an interview Friday.

“I knew it was special,” he said.

The pendant itself was an ornate spectacle: The front was decorated with a pomegranate bush, an emblem of Katherine, and an entwined, double-headed Tudor rose, which was employed by the Tudors starting in 1486. On the other side, the letters H and K — for Henry and Katherine — were written in Lombardic script and connected by a ribbon.

There hasn’t been anything comparable dating from the Renaissance era found in the past 100 years, said one expert.

By law, those who find treasure in Britain are required to report their finds, allowing museums the chance to acquire them, paying a fee that is split evenly between the finder and the landowner. After finding the pendant, in 2019, Clarke first brought it to an expert in Birmingham, who he recalled was “shaking when she held it, her jaw was on the floor”.

It was then sent to the British Museum, where researchers were similarly agog.

“We all thought: My goodness, is this for real? Could this possibly be?” Rachel King, curator of Renaissance Europe for the British Museum, said in an interview on Friday.

Researchers have confirmed the pendant’s authenticity, placing it at about 500 years old, but those who have examined it are left to speculate on the story behind it. It appeared to be hastily crafted, seemingly built more to be seen than to endure, King said. The chain is small, suggesting that someone of a slight stature was meant to wear it.

The chain with a pendant is linked with King Henry VIII and his first wife, Katherine of Aragon and a silver strap-end depicting a bird-like animal, dating back to the 14th century. Both objects were found by metal detectorists.

King said there were no portraits from the period showing men or women wearing jewels of the type, but one thing was for certain: Henry VIII loved to party. One hypothesis holds that it was created for a banquet or as a prize for a jousting tournament; winners could have worn it or melted it down for the gold, she said.

No one knows how it might have ended up in the field in Warwickshire; it could have been buried by someone trying to protect it, or perhaps by a thief trying to hide their loot, she said.

But King said the pendant was the most significant find in the 25 years since the government began recording British treasure finds, and there hasn’t been anything comparable dating from the Renaissance era found in the past 100 years, she said. She also said that most items connected to Katherine had been destroyed, and that there was “very, very little that keeps her memory alive”.

When the item is eventually sold, likely for a hefty fee, the money will be split between Clarke and his friend, the landowner. Clarke said that the money could be life-changing for him and his 4-year-old son.

“Birmingham’s a pretty rough place, right where I’m from,” he said. “If I could get him some good education out of this, that’s the benefit of it all.”

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/could-this-possibly-be-hobbyist-finds-500-year-old-pendant-linked-to-henry-viii-20230204-p5chvx.html


Totally amazing.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 13:58:37
From: transition
ID: 1990482
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Now this is cute. A pygmy possum photographed in the Little Desert in November.


lady and I just looks at that, very cute

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 13:58:43
From: Michael V
ID: 1990483
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


‘Could this possibly be?’: Hobbyist finds 500-year-old pendant linked to Henry VIII

By Daniel Victor
February 4, 2023 — 11.05am

London: Charlie Clarke, a 34-year-old cafe owner in Birmingham, England, was feeling down about losing his dog to cancer, so he went over to a friend’s place in the countryside to take a stroll and get some fresh air. He brought his metal detector with him, gear for the new hobby he had picked up six months earlier.

When he heard the unusually loud beeps emitted while he walked on his friend’s property in nearby Warwickshire, he thought he had probably come across a soda can. Instead, about a foot (30 cms) down into the earth, he happened upon a treasure that has electrified researchers and could very well change the course of his family’s future.

A chain with a pendant, associated with Henry VIII and his first wife, Katherine of Aragon. The heart shaped pendant was found by a metal detectorist in Warwickshire.

Clarke pulled up a gold chain and heart-shaped pendant, adorned with symbols his friend recognised as connected to Henry VIII and his first wife, Katherine of Aragon. At first, he thought it must have been from a costume, but it seemed far too heavy for that, he said in an interview Friday.

“I knew it was special,” he said.

The pendant itself was an ornate spectacle: The front was decorated with a pomegranate bush, an emblem of Katherine, and an entwined, double-headed Tudor rose, which was employed by the Tudors starting in 1486. On the other side, the letters H and K — for Henry and Katherine — were written in Lombardic script and connected by a ribbon.

There hasn’t been anything comparable dating from the Renaissance era found in the past 100 years, said one expert.

By law, those who find treasure in Britain are required to report their finds, allowing museums the chance to acquire them, paying a fee that is split evenly between the finder and the landowner. After finding the pendant, in 2019, Clarke first brought it to an expert in Birmingham, who he recalled was “shaking when she held it, her jaw was on the floor”.

It was then sent to the British Museum, where researchers were similarly agog.

“We all thought: My goodness, is this for real? Could this possibly be?” Rachel King, curator of Renaissance Europe for the British Museum, said in an interview on Friday.

Researchers have confirmed the pendant’s authenticity, placing it at about 500 years old, but those who have examined it are left to speculate on the story behind it. It appeared to be hastily crafted, seemingly built more to be seen than to endure, King said. The chain is small, suggesting that someone of a slight stature was meant to wear it.

The chain with a pendant is linked with King Henry VIII and his first wife, Katherine of Aragon and a silver strap-end depicting a bird-like animal, dating back to the 14th century. Both objects were found by metal detectorists.

King said there were no portraits from the period showing men or women wearing jewels of the type, but one thing was for certain: Henry VIII loved to party. One hypothesis holds that it was created for a banquet or as a prize for a jousting tournament; winners could have worn it or melted it down for the gold, she said.

No one knows how it might have ended up in the field in Warwickshire; it could have been buried by someone trying to protect it, or perhaps by a thief trying to hide their loot, she said.

But King said the pendant was the most significant find in the 25 years since the government began recording British treasure finds, and there hasn’t been anything comparable dating from the Renaissance era found in the past 100 years, she said. She also said that most items connected to Katherine had been destroyed, and that there was “very, very little that keeps her memory alive”.

When the item is eventually sold, likely for a hefty fee, the money will be split between Clarke and his friend, the landowner. Clarke said that the money could be life-changing for him and his 4-year-old son.

“Birmingham’s a pretty rough place, right where I’m from,” he said. “If I could get him some good education out of this, that’s the benefit of it all.”

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/could-this-possibly-be-hobbyist-finds-500-year-old-pendant-linked-to-henry-viii-20230204-p5chvx.html

The other side and the chain.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/the-british-museum-shows-the-tudor-jewel-found-in-2021-photos/ss-AA1707Wt#image=3

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 14:01:04
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990484
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


‘Could this possibly be?’: Hobbyist finds 500-year-old pendant linked to Henry VIII

By Daniel Victor
February 4, 2023 — 11.05am

London: Charlie Clarke, a 34-year-old cafe owner in Birmingham, England, was feeling down about losing his dog to cancer, so he went over to a friend’s place in the countryside to take a stroll and get some fresh air. He brought his metal detector with him, gear for the new hobby he had picked up six months earlier.

When he heard the unusually loud beeps emitted while he walked on his friend’s property in nearby Warwickshire, he thought he had probably come across a soda can. Instead, about a foot (30 cms) down into the earth, he happened upon a treasure that has electrified researchers and could very well change the course of his family’s future.

A chain with a pendant, associated with Henry VIII and his first wife, Katherine of Aragon. The heart shaped pendant was found by a metal detectorist in Warwickshire.

Clarke pulled up a gold chain and heart-shaped pendant, adorned with symbols his friend recognised as connected to Henry VIII and his first wife, Katherine of Aragon. At first, he thought it must have been from a costume, but it seemed far too heavy for that, he said in an interview Friday.

“I knew it was special,” he said.

The pendant itself was an ornate spectacle: The front was decorated with a pomegranate bush, an emblem of Katherine, and an entwined, double-headed Tudor rose, which was employed by the Tudors starting in 1486. On the other side, the letters H and K — for Henry and Katherine — were written in Lombardic script and connected by a ribbon.

There hasn’t been anything comparable dating from the Renaissance era found in the past 100 years, said one expert.

By law, those who find treasure in Britain are required to report their finds, allowing museums the chance to acquire them, paying a fee that is split evenly between the finder and the landowner. After finding the pendant, in 2019, Clarke first brought it to an expert in Birmingham, who he recalled was “shaking when she held it, her jaw was on the floor”.

It was then sent to the British Museum, where researchers were similarly agog.

“We all thought: My goodness, is this for real? Could this possibly be?” Rachel King, curator of Renaissance Europe for the British Museum, said in an interview on Friday.

Researchers have confirmed the pendant’s authenticity, placing it at about 500 years old, but those who have examined it are left to speculate on the story behind it. It appeared to be hastily crafted, seemingly built more to be seen than to endure, King said. The chain is small, suggesting that someone of a slight stature was meant to wear it.

The chain with a pendant is linked with King Henry VIII and his first wife, Katherine of Aragon and a silver strap-end depicting a bird-like animal, dating back to the 14th century. Both objects were found by metal detectorists.

King said there were no portraits from the period showing men or women wearing jewels of the type, but one thing was for certain: Henry VIII loved to party. One hypothesis holds that it was created for a banquet or as a prize for a jousting tournament; winners could have worn it or melted it down for the gold, she said.

No one knows how it might have ended up in the field in Warwickshire; it could have been buried by someone trying to protect it, or perhaps by a thief trying to hide their loot, she said.

But King said the pendant was the most significant find in the 25 years since the government began recording British treasure finds, and there hasn’t been anything comparable dating from the Renaissance era found in the past 100 years, she said. She also said that most items connected to Katherine had been destroyed, and that there was “very, very little that keeps her memory alive”.

When the item is eventually sold, likely for a hefty fee, the money will be split between Clarke and his friend, the landowner. Clarke said that the money could be life-changing for him and his 4-year-old son.

“Birmingham’s a pretty rough place, right where I’m from,” he said. “If I could get him some good education out of this, that’s the benefit of it all.”

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/could-this-possibly-be-hobbyist-finds-500-year-old-pendant-linked-to-henry-viii-20230204-p5chvx.html

There seems to be a lot of good shit being found this week.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 14:03:59
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990486
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


buffy said:

Now this is cute. A pygmy possum photographed in the Little Desert in November.


lady and I just looks at that, very cute

Not quite sure how pretending to be dead is cute but, yeah the pigmy possies are cute as cute is defined.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 14:04:43
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990487
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

‘Could this possibly be?’: Hobbyist finds 500-year-old pendant linked to Henry VIII

By Daniel Victor
February 4, 2023 — 11.05am

London: Charlie Clarke, a 34-year-old cafe owner in Birmingham, England, was feeling down about losing his dog to cancer, so he went over to a friend’s place in the countryside to take a stroll and get some fresh air. He brought his metal detector with him, gear for the new hobby he had picked up six months earlier.

When he heard the unusually loud beeps emitted while he walked on his friend’s property in nearby Warwickshire, he thought he had probably come across a soda can. Instead, about a foot (30 cms) down into the earth, he happened upon a treasure that has electrified researchers and could very well change the course of his family’s future.

A chain with a pendant, associated with Henry VIII and his first wife, Katherine of Aragon. The heart shaped pendant was found by a metal detectorist in Warwickshire.

Clarke pulled up a gold chain and heart-shaped pendant, adorned with symbols his friend recognised as connected to Henry VIII and his first wife, Katherine of Aragon. At first, he thought it must have been from a costume, but it seemed far too heavy for that, he said in an interview Friday.

“I knew it was special,” he said.

The pendant itself was an ornate spectacle: The front was decorated with a pomegranate bush, an emblem of Katherine, and an entwined, double-headed Tudor rose, which was employed by the Tudors starting in 1486. On the other side, the letters H and K — for Henry and Katherine — were written in Lombardic script and connected by a ribbon.

There hasn’t been anything comparable dating from the Renaissance era found in the past 100 years, said one expert.

By law, those who find treasure in Britain are required to report their finds, allowing museums the chance to acquire them, paying a fee that is split evenly between the finder and the landowner. After finding the pendant, in 2019, Clarke first brought it to an expert in Birmingham, who he recalled was “shaking when she held it, her jaw was on the floor”.

It was then sent to the British Museum, where researchers were similarly agog.

“We all thought: My goodness, is this for real? Could this possibly be?” Rachel King, curator of Renaissance Europe for the British Museum, said in an interview on Friday.

Researchers have confirmed the pendant’s authenticity, placing it at about 500 years old, but those who have examined it are left to speculate on the story behind it. It appeared to be hastily crafted, seemingly built more to be seen than to endure, King said. The chain is small, suggesting that someone of a slight stature was meant to wear it.

The chain with a pendant is linked with King Henry VIII and his first wife, Katherine of Aragon and a silver strap-end depicting a bird-like animal, dating back to the 14th century. Both objects were found by metal detectorists.

King said there were no portraits from the period showing men or women wearing jewels of the type, but one thing was for certain: Henry VIII loved to party. One hypothesis holds that it was created for a banquet or as a prize for a jousting tournament; winners could have worn it or melted it down for the gold, she said.

No one knows how it might have ended up in the field in Warwickshire; it could have been buried by someone trying to protect it, or perhaps by a thief trying to hide their loot, she said.

But King said the pendant was the most significant find in the 25 years since the government began recording British treasure finds, and there hasn’t been anything comparable dating from the Renaissance era found in the past 100 years, she said. She also said that most items connected to Katherine had been destroyed, and that there was “very, very little that keeps her memory alive”.

When the item is eventually sold, likely for a hefty fee, the money will be split between Clarke and his friend, the landowner. Clarke said that the money could be life-changing for him and his 4-year-old son.

“Birmingham’s a pretty rough place, right where I’m from,” he said. “If I could get him some good education out of this, that’s the benefit of it all.”

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/could-this-possibly-be-hobbyist-finds-500-year-old-pendant-linked-to-henry-viii-20230204-p5chvx.html

There seems to be a lot of good shit being found this week.

Probably better than mentioning the war.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 14:10:08
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1990488
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Got some good news & bad news about the plumbing outside the house.
The good news is that we now know where the pipe is, the bad news is that I found it with the sharp end of a pick when digging a hole for a plant. So quickly up to the water meter, turn the water off, then go through my stash of plumbing fittings. Found the right one and I was able to fix it relatively easily.
Oh, and the extra fun part was that a similar diameter tree root ran parallel to the pipe, that was run to remove without damaging the pipe any further. And of course it’s pussing down so at least everything was well lubricated.
Yay.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 14:13:22
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990489
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Got some good news & bad news about the plumbing outside the house.
The good news is that we now know where the pipe is, the bad news is that I found it with the sharp end of a pick when digging a hole for a plant. So quickly up to the water meter, turn the water off, then go through my stash of plumbing fittings. Found the right one and I was able to fix it relatively easily.
Oh, and the extra fun part was that a similar diameter tree root ran parallel to the pipe, that was run to remove without damaging the pipe any further. And of course it’s pussing down so at least everything was well lubricated.
Yay.


Good fun, had by many of us at some time or other in our long lives as exceptional drivers.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 14:28:50
From: Arts
ID: 1990496
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


then go through my stash of plumbing fittings. Found the right one

That never happens, you’re lying.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 14:31:07
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1990497
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Spiny Norman said:

then go through my stash of plumbing fittings. Found the right one

That never happens, you’re lying.

A curse upon you and your family.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 14:32:32
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990498
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Spiny Norman said:

then go through my stash of plumbing fittings. Found the right one

That never happens, you’re lying.

Some of us do have everything we need. If only we could find where we put it.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 14:36:18
From: kii
ID: 1990499
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Spiny Norman said:

then go through my stash of plumbing fittings. Found the right one

That never happens, you’re lying.

This week I started sorting through used and new fittings for EVERYTHING! My husband was prepared for all the things.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 14:38:48
From: buffy
ID: 1990500
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Arts said:

Spiny Norman said:

then go through my stash of plumbing fittings. Found the right one

That never happens, you’re lying.

This week I started sorting through used and new fittings for EVERYTHING! My husband was prepared for all the things.

Some time ago, when the local plumber was doing some work for us, we gave him a box of bits and pieces. He was happy to take them.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 14:47:18
From: Michael V
ID: 1990502
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Got some good news & bad news about the plumbing outside the house.
The good news is that we now know where the pipe is, the bad news is that I found it with the sharp end of a pick when digging a hole for a plant. So quickly up to the water meter, turn the water off, then go through my stash of plumbing fittings. Found the right one and I was able to fix it relatively easily.
Oh, and the extra fun part was that a similar diameter tree root ran parallel to the pipe, that was run to remove without damaging the pipe any further. And of course it’s pussing down so at least everything was well lubricated.
Yay.


Bugger.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 15:00:25
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1990508
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Spiny Norman said:

then go through my stash of plumbing fittings. Found the right one

That never happens, you’re lying.

I just remembered why I have those fittings – About two or so years ago the same thing happened in a different spot, and I had to make a dash to Bunnings to get some fittings. So I got a few of them that looked like they might work, and only used one of them. And so one of the surplus ones did the job today.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 15:09:21
From: transition
ID: 1990509
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Got some good news & bad news about the plumbing outside the house.
The good news is that we now know where the pipe is, the bad news is that I found it with the sharp end of a pick when digging a hole for a plant. So quickly up to the water meter, turn the water off, then go through my stash of plumbing fittings. Found the right one and I was able to fix it relatively easily.
Oh, and the extra fun part was that a similar diameter tree root ran parallel to the pipe, that was run to remove without damaging the pipe any further. And of course it’s pussing down so at least everything was well lubricated.
Yay.



those sort are good, do good range wall thickness, rubber hose^ and whatever

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 15:12:08
From: party_pants
ID: 1990511
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Arts said:

Spiny Norman said:

then go through my stash of plumbing fittings. Found the right one

That never happens, you’re lying.

I just remembered why I have those fittings – About two or so years ago the same thing happened in a different spot, and I had to make a dash to Bunnings to get some fittings. So I got a few of them that looked like they might work, and only used one of them. And so one of the surplus ones did the job today.

I think you need to get a map of where the pipes are on your property and stop digging there.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 15:40:40
From: Arts
ID: 1990512
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Arts said:

Spiny Norman said:

then go through my stash of plumbing fittings. Found the right one

That never happens, you’re lying.

This week I started sorting through used and new fittings for EVERYTHING! My husband was prepared for all the things.

I always think I have the thing I need for the garden reticulation or something.. and then I go through the box and realises I don’t have that particular one and so I have to trot off to Bunnings again… but do I discard any oft he things that didn’t fit? no I do not… I keep them for next time… I’m still waiting for next time…

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 15:47:23
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990513
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


kii said:

Arts said:

That never happens, you’re lying.

This week I started sorting through used and new fittings for EVERYTHING! My husband was prepared for all the things.

I always think I have the thing I need for the garden reticulation or something.. and then I go through the box and realises I don’t have that particular one and so I have to trot off to Bunnings again… but do I discard any oft he things that didn’t fit? no I do not… I keep them for next time… I’m still waiting for next time…

I lost the rose to one of my watering cans. but as we all know a rose for any another can will fit just the same.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 16:09:51
From: Neophyte
ID: 1990518
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


captain_spalding said:

buffy said:

Yes, I know. And I seem to have slipped in my French anything boycott. We’ve watched a few French movies and TV series in the past few months. I should find some German ones. I wouldn’t have to concentrate on the subtitles so intensely.

No, those long multisyllabic German words give you plenty of time to work out what they’re saying.

As well as…I did German for 5 years plus a term at High School and I did French for one term. And we’ve watched a lot of Kommissar Rex.

:)

Did so much German at high school that my best friend married the German teacher.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 17:30:16
From: Michael V
ID: 1990525
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts: are you going to the stadium tonight?

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 17:46:38
From: buffy
ID: 1990526
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Food report: South Melbourne dim sims. Two each. Preceded by a bowl of spicy stirfried veggies.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 17:57:42
From: buffy
ID: 1990527
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-04/nt-nakara-abduction-darwin-children-alert-police/101931510

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 18:46:31
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990529
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Anyone else here in the SNDC besides me and Cholmondely, the barman?

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 18:49:35
From: party_pants
ID: 1990531
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Anyone else here in the SNDC besides me and Cholmondely, the barman?

I’ve just come back from having my hair shortened, stopped at the bottle-o and bought a carton of beers on my way home. So count me in, I guess. Wasn’t going to start until the cricket starts, but I can start early just for the forum.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:06:59
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990533
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


captain_spalding said:

Anyone else here in the SNDC besides me and Cholmondely, the barman?

I’ve just come back from having my hair shortened, stopped at the bottle-o and bought a carton of beers on my way home. So count me in, I guess. Wasn’t going to start until the cricket starts, but I can start early just for the forum.

Stout fellow. Cheers.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:07:45
From: Michael V
ID: 1990534
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Arts: are you going to the stadium tonight?

No answer, so I guess she is there.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:08:29
From: Michael V
ID: 1990535
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Anyone else here in the SNDC besides me and Cholmondely, the barman?

I will be, but a bit later on.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:17:33
From: party_pants
ID: 1990536
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Michael V said:

Arts: are you going to the stadium tonight?

No answer, so I guess she is there.

I expect she would be. They are members. What’s the point of going to all the home games and missing the grad final?

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:22:38
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990537
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I am currently enjoying a Chateau Cardboard sauv blanc, with ice cubes, because i’m in Qld and it’s warm, and i paid for it, and, and, and, so there.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:24:15
From: sibeen
ID: 1990538
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

raises stubbie

Settles in to watch the cricket.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:26:12
From: Michael V
ID: 1990539
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Michael V said:

Michael V said:

Arts: are you going to the stadium tonight?

No answer, so I guess she is there.

I expect she would be. They are members. What’s the point of going to all the home games and missing the grad final?

Ah. Members. Didn’t know that. All very la-di-da.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:27:20
From: Michael V
ID: 1990540
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


raises stubbie

Settles in to watch the cricket.

I’ll go to the other building to watch.

BBL

;)

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:27:21
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990541
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


party_pants said:

Michael V said:

No answer, so I guess she is there.

I expect she would be. They are members. What’s the point of going to all the home games and missing the grad final?

Ah. Members. Didn’t know that. All very la-di-da.

I’m thinking of joining the Royal Agricultural Society of Qld.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:27:46
From: party_pants
ID: 1990542
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


I am currently enjoying a Chateau Cardboard sauv blanc, with ice cubes, because i’m in Qld and it’s warm, and i paid for it, and, and, and, so there.

Don’t feel ashamed to drink chilled wine in hot weather.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:29:27
From: party_pants
ID: 1990543
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:

All very la-di-da.

Not for the T20 cricket. I think they are Perth Scorchers members. The WACA members are a bit more uppity.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:31:07
From: sibeen
ID: 1990544
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


captain_spalding said:

I am currently enjoying a Chateau Cardboard sauv blanc, with ice cubes, because i’m in Qld and it’s warm, and i paid for it, and, and, and, so there.

Don’t feel ashamed to drink chilled wine in hot weather.

On a hot day I have no problem throwing my red into an ice bucket.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:33:35
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990545
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


captain_spalding said:

I am currently enjoying a Chateau Cardboard sauv blanc, with ice cubes, because i’m in Qld and it’s warm, and i paid for it, and, and, and, so there.

Don’t feel ashamed to drink chilled wine in hot weather.

Oh, no, i’m not.

I asked Len Evans about that many years back.

He said that the room-temperature thing was a European thing that dated from before any form of effective central heating.

‘And’, he said, ‘if you’d been in some of the European rooms in which i’ve been served wine, you would never assume that ‘room temperature’ means ‘warm’. Chill your wine as you like, son, and enjoy it’.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:52:42
From: Michael V
ID: 1990547
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Michael V said:

party_pants said:

I expect she would be. They are members. What’s the point of going to all the home games and missing the grad final?

Ah. Members. Didn’t know that. All very la-di-da.

I’m thinking of joining the Royal Agricultural Society of Qld.

Really?

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:53:14
From: Michael V
ID: 1990548
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Michael V said:
All very la-di-da.

Not for the T20 cricket. I think they are Perth Scorchers members. The WACA members are a bit more uppity.

Oh, I see.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:55:06
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990549
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


party_pants said:

captain_spalding said:

Anyone else here in the SNDC besides me and Cholmondely, the barman?

I’ve just come back from having my hair shortened, stopped at the bottle-o and bought a carton of beers on my way home. So count me in, I guess. Wasn’t going to start until the cricket starts, but I can start early just for the forum.

Stout fellow. Cheers.

Dry evening this end after drinking a little too much last night.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:56:26
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990550
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


captain_spalding said:

Michael V said:

Ah. Members. Didn’t know that. All very la-di-da.

I’m thinking of joining the Royal Agricultural Society of Qld.

Really?

Yeah.

You get two free entries to the Toowoomba Show, you can park on the grounds in the members’ car park, and you get some discounts for events, a few perks like that.

And i walk the Wolf around the showgrounds often enough to feel like maybe i should join.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:56:41
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990551
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


captain_spalding said:

party_pants said:

I’ve just come back from having my hair shortened, stopped at the bottle-o and bought a carton of beers on my way home. So count me in, I guess. Wasn’t going to start until the cricket starts, but I can start early just for the forum.

Stout fellow. Cheers.

Dry evening this end after drinking a little too much last night.

Wisdom.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 19:57:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990552
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Michael V said:

captain_spalding said:

I’m thinking of joining the Royal Agricultural Society of Qld.

Really?

Yeah.

You get two free entries to the Toowoomba Show, you can park on the grounds in the members’ car park, and you get some discounts for events, a few perks like that.

And i walk the Wolf around the showgrounds often enough to feel like maybe i should join.

But you don’t even grow peanuts.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 20:01:04
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990553
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Food report: South Melbourne dim sims. Two each. Preceded by a bowl of spicy stirfried veggies.

Just a lamb chop accompanied by nuked veg: fresh green beans, broccoli, onion, garlic, parsley, hen stock.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 20:01:22
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990554
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


captain_spalding said:

Michael V said:

Really?

Yeah.

You get two free entries to the Toowoomba Show, you can park on the grounds in the members’ car park, and you get some discounts for events, a few perks like that.

And i walk the Wolf around the showgrounds often enough to feel like maybe i should join.

But you don’t even grow peanuts.

Believe me, there’s enough peanuts in Qld, they don’t need me adding more.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 20:05:58
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990556
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


party_pants said:

Michael V said:
All very la-di-da.

Not for the T20 cricket. I think they are Perth Scorchers members. The WACA members are a bit more uppity.

Oh, I see.

It’s appropriately very hot for the Heat v Scorchers game.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 20:31:05
From: poikilotherm
ID: 1990557
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Michael V said:

party_pants said:

Not for the T20 cricket. I think they are Perth Scorchers members. The WACA members are a bit more uppity.

Oh, I see.

It’s appropriately very hot for the Heat v Scorchers game.

It’s ‘ken freezing in the Styx.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 20:31:48
From: poikilotherm
ID: 1990558
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


captain_spalding said:

I am currently enjoying a Chateau Cardboard sauv blanc, with ice cubes, because i’m in Qld and it’s warm, and i paid for it, and, and, and, so there.

Don’t feel ashamed to drink chilled wine in hot weather.

Chilled is fine, the ice cubes though…

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 20:47:40
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990562
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

poikilotherm said:


party_pants said:

captain_spalding said:

I am currently enjoying a Chateau Cardboard sauv blanc, with ice cubes, because i’m in Qld and it’s warm, and i paid for it, and, and, and, so there.

Don’t feel ashamed to drink chilled wine in hot weather.

Chilled is fine, the ice cubes though…

Radical.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 21:07:51
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990563
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

That’s competitive from the heat, might be a bit short of what they need.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 21:09:29
From: sibeen
ID: 1990564
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


That’s competitive from the heat, might be a bit short of what they need.

Yeah, it could still go either way.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 21:16:42
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990565
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

poikilotherm said:


party_pants said:

captain_spalding said:

I am currently enjoying a Chateau Cardboard sauv blanc, with ice cubes, because i’m in Qld and it’s warm, and i paid for it, and, and, and, so there.

Don’t feel ashamed to drink chilled wine in hot weather.

Chilled is fine, the ice cubes though…

I know, i know…

When it comes to spirits, especially good quality spirits, the slogan that ‘ice is for polar bears and savages’ holds sway.

But with Chateau Cardboard…

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 21:22:06
From: Arts
ID: 1990566
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Peak Warming Man said:

That’s competitive from the heat, might be a bit short of what they need.

Yeah, it could still go either way.

Atmosphere is tops here.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 21:22:49
From: sibeen
ID: 1990567
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Why didn’t the Flynn water scandal in the USA end up being called watergate?

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 21:23:21
From: sibeen
ID: 1990568
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sibeen said:

Peak Warming Man said:

That’s competitive from the heat, might be a bit short of what they need.

Yeah, it could still go either way.

Atmosphere is tops here.

I do hope you are enjoying yourself.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 21:24:58
From: Arts
ID: 1990569
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Arts said:

sibeen said:

Yeah, it could still go either way.

Atmosphere is tops here.

I do hope you are enjoying yourself.

We’ll see. Count down has started.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 21:25:36
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990570
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Why didn’t the Flynn water scandal in the USA end up being called watergate?

flint

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 21:26:21
From: sibeen
ID: 1990571
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


sibeen said:

Why didn’t the Flynn water scandal in the USA end up being called watergate?

flint

Yeah.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 21:26:40
From: buffy
ID: 1990572
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

poikilotherm said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Michael V said:

Oh, I see.

It’s appropriately very hot for the Heat v Scorchers game.

It’s ‘ken freezing in the Styx.

Chilly here too. It was 9 this morning and I think we got up to about 20. Similar tomorrow according to the forecast. We’ve had some nice rain though, tanks are refilled, aquifer got a charging.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 21:27:13
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990573
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-04/swan-river-shark-attack/101931866

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 21:31:36
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990575
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


JudgeMental said:

sibeen said:

Why didn’t the Flynn water scandal in the USA end up being called watergate?

flint

Yeah.

no worries.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 21:42:59
From: btm
ID: 1990576
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


poikilotherm said:

party_pants said:

Don’t feel ashamed to drink chilled wine in hot weather.

Chilled is fine, the ice cubes though…

I know, i know…

When it comes to spirits, especially good quality spirits, the slogan that ‘ice is for polar bears and savages’ holds sway.

But with Chateau Cardboard…

I respectfully suggest that a good whisky can have its flavour enhanced by having an ice cube dropped in it, although a similar effect can be obtained with the ice pre-melted. Try a before and after with a Dailuaine, for instance, or a (more complex) Glenfarclas 105. Make sure you cleanse your palate between tastes.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 21:44:21
From: sibeen
ID: 1990577
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

That is fucking lazy running.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 21:52:41
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990578
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Why didn’t the Flynn water scandal in the USA end up being called watergate?

Was a gate involved?

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 21:57:35
From: sibeen
ID: 1990580
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


sibeen said:

Why didn’t the Flynn water scandal in the USA end up being called watergate?

Was a gate involved?

No, but the general rule with scandals is to add a ‘gate’ onto the end.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 22:01:10
From: sibeen
ID: 1990582
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Approximately 50,000 arseholes are now puckering up in Perth.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 22:01:42
From: Arts
ID: 1990583
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Fuck

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 22:01:58
From: Arts
ID: 1990584
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


That is fucking lazy running.

Yes it was

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 22:10:17
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990585
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

White dog spotted living with coyote pack in Henderson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH3J1bZhooA
—-

was rescued from the coyotes. It seems like life was hard for him.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 22:21:47
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990586
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 22:35:21
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990588
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



That looks quite different from its last appearance. She seems to have painted over some details.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 22:38:01
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990589
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:


That looks quite different from its last appearance. She seems to have painted over some details.

she does seem to have done that. She seems happier about it. I’m into some shadows appearing.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 22:46:50
From: sibeen
ID: 1990590
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


That is fucking lazy running.

That is fucking stupid running.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 22:47:19
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1990591
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



Tides gone out.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 22:52:13
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990592
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


sibeen said:

That is fucking lazy running.

That is fucking stupid running.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 23:00:36
From: sibeen
ID: 1990593
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I think if young Connolly wants to get laid tonight there is a fair chance he could find a willing partner :)

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 23:01:25
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990594
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Damn, good game though.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 23:08:06
From: party_pants
ID: 1990595
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Wow. Amazing game. Never confident until the last 4 balls of the last over.

Full credit to the Heat, great effort. One of the classic games. Amazing run to get to the final after being cellar dwellers in the first half of the season.

This is why I love the T20 tournament format. Sell-out crowd, game goes down to the last over with the result still in doubt.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 23:11:45
From: sibeen
ID: 1990596
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Wow. Amazing game. Never confident until the last 4 balls of the last over.

Full credit to the Heat, great effort. One of the classic games. Amazing run to get to the final after being cellar dwellers in the first half of the season.

This is why I love the T20 tournament format. Sell-out crowd, game goes down to the last over with the result still in doubt.

I was never a fan of the format when it first began, but it got my sprogs into cricket so I changed my mind.

It really has changed the game in many ways. Batsman now play shots that wouldn’t have been thought possible when I was growing up.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 23:16:12
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990597
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Ontario has claimed that it does not need to pay billions of dollars owed to First Nations over broken treaty obligations, arguing that it has already spent the sum on the historical costs of resource extraction and the infrastructure of “colonization”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/03/ontario-colonization-costs-billions-first-nations-treaty

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 23:16:41
From: party_pants
ID: 1990598
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


party_pants said:

Wow. Amazing game. Never confident until the last 4 balls of the last over.

Full credit to the Heat, great effort. One of the classic games. Amazing run to get to the final after being cellar dwellers in the first half of the season.

This is why I love the T20 tournament format. Sell-out crowd, game goes down to the last over with the result still in doubt.

I was never a fan of the format when it first began, but it got my sprogs into cricket so I changed my mind.

It really has changed the game in many ways. Batsman now play shots that wouldn’t have been thought possible when I was growing up.

I think it is great at domestic level for a tournament, to get a few club cricketers noticed and involved at a higher level.

I hate meaningless T20 internationals of 2 or 3 games that don’t lead to anything.

As you said, it is an introduction to cricket for the younger generation, hopefully they move on to the purer form of the game.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 23:17:18
From: sibeen
ID: 1990599
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


party_pants said:

Wow. Amazing game. Never confident until the last 4 balls of the last over.

Full credit to the Heat, great effort. One of the classic games. Amazing run to get to the final after being cellar dwellers in the first half of the season.

This is why I love the T20 tournament format. Sell-out crowd, game goes down to the last over with the result still in doubt.

I was never a fan of the format when it first began, but it got my sprogs into cricket so I changed my mind.

It really has changed the game in many ways. Batsman now play shots that wouldn’t have been thought possible when I was growing up.

I was actually a reasonable cricketer; if I’d tried one of those shots in the nets a coach would have spent 10 minutes yelling at me for being a fucking dickhead. If I’d tried one in a game, I would have been shunned for all eternity.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 23:21:28
From: party_pants
ID: 1990600
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


sibeen said:

party_pants said:

Wow. Amazing game. Never confident until the last 4 balls of the last over.

Full credit to the Heat, great effort. One of the classic games. Amazing run to get to the final after being cellar dwellers in the first half of the season.

This is why I love the T20 tournament format. Sell-out crowd, game goes down to the last over with the result still in doubt.

I was never a fan of the format when it first began, but it got my sprogs into cricket so I changed my mind.

It really has changed the game in many ways. Batsman now play shots that wouldn’t have been thought possible when I was growing up.

I was actually a reasonable cricketer; if I’d tried one of those shots in the nets a coach would have spent 10 minutes yelling at me for being a fucking dickhead. If I’d tried one in a game, I would have been shunned for all eternity.

Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 23:22:59
From: sibeen
ID: 1990601
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


sibeen said:

sibeen said:

I was never a fan of the format when it first began, but it got my sprogs into cricket so I changed my mind.

It really has changed the game in many ways. Batsman now play shots that wouldn’t have been thought possible when I was growing up.

I was actually a reasonable cricketer; if I’d tried one of those shots in the nets a coach would have spent 10 minutes yelling at me for being a fucking dickhead. If I’d tried one in a game, I would have been shunned for all eternity.

Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis

Yep. Hey, 4 years of latin does come in handy sometimes :)

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 23:24:07
From: Arts
ID: 1990602
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

That’s how you play a final. Great game stadium was wild.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 23:28:05
From: sibeen
ID: 1990603
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


That’s how you play a final. Great game stadium was wild.

You missed a comma, for gawds sake. Unacceptable.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 23:29:33
From: Arts
ID: 1990604
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Arts said:

That’s how you play a final. Great game stadium was wild.

You missed a comma, for gawds sake. Unacceptable.

I’m too many matsos in to care about punctuation

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 23:31:28
From: sibeen
ID: 1990605
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sibeen said:

Arts said:

That’s how you play a final. Great game stadium was wild.

You missed a comma, for gawds sake. Unacceptable.

I’m too many matsos in to care about punctuation

:)

Congrats. Hope you, and the family, had a fantastic night :)

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 23:42:49
From: Arts
ID: 1990606
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Arts said:

sibeen said:

You missed a comma, for gawds sake. Unacceptable.

I’m too many matsos in to care about punctuation

:)

Congrats. Hope you, and the family, had a fantastic night :)

Thanks.

Next season is going to be shorter.. so the internationals don’t cry.

Reply Quote

Date: 4/02/2023 23:58:04
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990607
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Six-year-old uses father’s phone to order $1,000 worth of food on Grubhub

Michigan boy Mason Stonehouse had jumbo shrimp, shawarma, salads, chicken pita sandwiches and chili cheese fries delivered

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/feb/03/six-year-old-orders-1000-worth-food-grubhub

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 00:05:18
From: Arts
ID: 1990610
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


I think if young Connolly wants to get laid tonight there is a fair chance he could find a willing partner :)

Not with that haircut.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 00:08:20
From: sibeen
ID: 1990611
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sibeen said:

I think if young Connolly wants to get laid tonight there is a fair chance he could find a willing partner :)

Not with that haircut.

Yeah, even with that haircut.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 00:11:28
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990612
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


party_pants said:

sibeen said:

I was actually a reasonable cricketer; if I’d tried one of those shots in the nets a coach would have spent 10 minutes yelling at me for being a fucking dickhead. If I’d tried one in a game, I would have been shunned for all eternity.

Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis

Yep. Hey, 4 years of latin does come in handy sometimes :)

You sure
https://youtu.be/wjOfQfxmTLQ

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 00:15:44
From: sibeen
ID: 1990613
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


sibeen said:

party_pants said:

Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis

Yep. Hey, 4 years of latin does come in handy sometimes :)

You sure
https://youtu.be/wjOfQfxmTLQ

Seen that about a 100 times. Always good :)

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 00:24:12
From: party_pants
ID: 1990614
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Peak Warming Man said:

sibeen said:

Yep. Hey, 4 years of latin does come in handy sometimes :)

You sure
https://youtu.be/wjOfQfxmTLQ

Seen that about a 100 times. Always good :)

I was thinking more of Yes Prime Minister

this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beuKfLn8a6c

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 00:34:56
From: transition
ID: 1990617
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

was just in bed, hears what think’s an owl, so up for brief look, too cold out there so i’ll have noodles then back to bed

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 00:45:33
From: sibeen
ID: 1990619
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


sibeen said:

Peak Warming Man said:

You sure
https://youtu.be/wjOfQfxmTLQ

Seen that about a 100 times. Always good :)

I was thinking more of Yes Prime Minister

this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beuKfLn8a6c

Also seen that about a 100 times. Always good :)

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 01:09:07
From: Michael V
ID: 1990621
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Michael V said:

captain_spalding said:

I’m thinking of joining the Royal Agricultural Society of Qld.

Really?

Yeah.

You get two free entries to the Toowoomba Show, you can park on the grounds in the members’ car park, and you get some discounts for events, a few perks like that.

And i walk the Wolf around the showgrounds often enough to feel like maybe i should join.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 01:11:59
From: Michael V
ID: 1990622
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

poikilotherm said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Michael V said:

Oh, I see.

It’s appropriately very hot for the Heat v Scorchers game.

It’s ‘ken freezing in the Styx.

Send some up here. 25.2°C, 79% RH. And it’s gone midnight.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 01:18:29
From: Michael V
ID: 1990624
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Wow. Amazing game. Never confident until the last 4 balls of the last over.

Full credit to the Heat, great effort. One of the classic games. Amazing run to get to the final after being cellar dwellers in the first half of the season.

This is why I love the T20 tournament format. Sell-out crowd, game goes down to the last over with the result still in doubt.

:)

Good game. The nobodies almost won, hey.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 01:19:51
From: Michael V
ID: 1990625
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


sibeen said:

party_pants said:

Wow. Amazing game. Never confident until the last 4 balls of the last over.

Full credit to the Heat, great effort. One of the classic games. Amazing run to get to the final after being cellar dwellers in the first half of the season.

This is why I love the T20 tournament format. Sell-out crowd, game goes down to the last over with the result still in doubt.

I was never a fan of the format when it first began, but it got my sprogs into cricket so I changed my mind.

It really has changed the game in many ways. Batsman now play shots that wouldn’t have been thought possible when I was growing up.

I think it is great at domestic level for a tournament, to get a few club cricketers noticed and involved at a higher level.

I hate meaningless T20 internationals of 2 or 3 games that don’t lead to anything.

As you said, it is an introduction to cricket for the younger generation, hopefully they move on to the purer form of the game.

Thumbs up!

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 01:24:06
From: party_pants
ID: 1990626
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


party_pants said:

Wow. Amazing game. Never confident until the last 4 balls of the last over.

Full credit to the Heat, great effort. One of the classic games. Amazing run to get to the final after being cellar dwellers in the first half of the season.

This is why I love the T20 tournament format. Sell-out crowd, game goes down to the last over with the result still in doubt.

:)

Good game. The nobodies almost won, hey.

Please don’t hold The Worst Australian as representative of the general population. That was a very cringeworthy headline and just the thing to give the opposition psychological ammo to prove them wrong. Never give the opposition ammo, always talk them up.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 01:43:49
From: Michael V
ID: 1990627
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Michael V said:

party_pants said:

Wow. Amazing game. Never confident until the last 4 balls of the last over.

Full credit to the Heat, great effort. One of the classic games. Amazing run to get to the final after being cellar dwellers in the first half of the season.

This is why I love the T20 tournament format. Sell-out crowd, game goes down to the last over with the result still in doubt.

:)

Good game. The nobodies almost won, hey.

Please don’t hold The Worst Australian as representative of the general population. That was a very cringeworthy headline and just the thing to give the opposition psychological ammo to prove them wrong. Never give the opposition ammo, always talk them up.

:)

Good night all. BBL was good.

BBL.

Tomorrow morning. Seeyas.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 02:49:58
From: Ian
ID: 1990628
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


sarahs mum said:


Tides gone out.

I was swimming in an identical scene last week.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 02:56:00
From: Ian
ID: 1990629
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Ian said:


PermeateFree said:

sarahs mum said:


Tides gone out.

I was swimming in an identical scene last week.

Well, identical in terms of the king tide..

Not so much the topography or the path or the rocks or the trees or the wind or the lighting or the colours…

Yeah, identical

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 03:01:57
From: sibeen
ID: 1990630
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Ian said:


Ian said:

PermeateFree said:

Tides gone out.

I was swimming in an identical scene last week.

Well, identical in terms of the king tide..

Not so much the topography or the path or the rocks or the trees or the wind or the lighting or the colours…

Yeah, identical

Oh, come on, you were on the east coast, this looks like it’s Indian Ocean, if it is in Oz.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 03:12:39
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990631
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Ian said:


Ian said:

PermeateFree said:

Tides gone out.

I was swimming in an identical scene last week.

Well, identical in terms of the king tide..

Not so much the topography or the path or the rocks or the trees or the wind or the lighting or the colours…

Yeah, identical

lagoon at Macmasters.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 07:06:19
From: buffy
ID: 1990643
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 11 degrees and overcast. We are forecast a cloudy 21 degrees today.

Mr buffy wants to do some more firewood cutting. I’ll do more weeding at Auntie Annie’s. She is very unwell at present. Her Melbourne son has come up to see her. There will be arguments.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 07:40:26
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990644
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning pilgrims it looks set fair today.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 08:27:21
From: Michael V
ID: 1990646
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light breezes, 23.0°C, 91% RH. It feels cooler and less muggy than the last few mornings. Maybe it’s the breezes. Anyway, the BoM forecasts 29°C, and a good chance of rain all day. Looking outside, I doubt the rain. Well, at least for the next hour or so.

Agenda: go for a walk with The Patient before breakfast, while it’s still bearable; ie before it gets too hot and muggy. Breakfast: sausage with kimchi. Package remaining sausages in lots of 2 and freeze them. Then do the things I meant to do yesterday. The mugginess was so draining yesterday that I managed to get exactly zero planned work done.

What are you all up to today?

I notice PWM didn’t give his tips yesterday. That’s at least two weeks now. Tut, tut. I feel sure he knows how valuable his tips are to the community.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 08:33:28
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1990648
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

how is it news that independent schools pay teachers more

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-05/public-schools-losing-teachers-to-private-education-jobs/101748966

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 08:47:14
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990653
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

One of Asia’s biggest textile manufacturers and exporters, China-based Jinsheng Textiles, has paid around $120 million for Gundaline Station, a massive irrigated cotton farm near Darlington Point in the NSW Riverina.

The deal is the second $100 million-plus farming transaction involving offshore investors this year, highlighting the global appeal of prime Australian farmland.

Gundaline spans around 14,916-ha at Carrathool in the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area. Of this almost half – 6000ha -is developed to flood irrigation, with the balance comprising dryland cropping and grazing. Included in the sale were significant water entitlements.

>the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 08:58:34
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990655
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Train crashes usually don’t go up in flames.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 09:42:31
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1990657
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

we’ll see

In an Australian first, Victorian authorities have announced they would be introducing anti-theft numberplates with a built-in hologram feature, similar to makings embedded on Australian banknotes. The Victorian government said it would make them clone-proof with security markings that make it impossible to copy or transfer to another plate without causing “irreparable damage” to the hologram.

or we won’t see

something like that

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 09:43:22
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1990659
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


One of Asia’s biggest textile manufacturers and exporters, China-based Jinsheng Textiles, has paid around $120 million for Gundaline Station, a massive irrigated cotton farm near Darlington Point in the NSW Riverina.

The deal is the second $100 million-plus farming transaction involving offshore investors this year, highlighting the global appeal of prime Australian farmland.

Gundaline spans around 14,916-ha at Carrathool in the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area. Of this almost half – 6000ha -is developed to flood irrigation, with the balance comprising dryland cropping and grazing. Included in the sale were significant water entitlements.

>the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

What’s the problem with commercial operations conducting commerce, surely The Economy Must Grow and so forth, this is good news.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 09:52:36
From: Michael V
ID: 1990661
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Train crashes usually don’t go up in flames.


I suppose it depends on whether they are carrying flammable stuff, I suppose.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 09:54:00
From: Michael V
ID: 1990662
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Anyway, the walk with The Patient is now done, so I can cross that off the list. Breakfast next, after Mrs V has had her first cup of tea.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 09:56:01
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990664
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


roughbarked said:

One of Asia’s biggest textile manufacturers and exporters, China-based Jinsheng Textiles, has paid around $120 million for Gundaline Station, a massive irrigated cotton farm near Darlington Point in the NSW Riverina.

The deal is the second $100 million-plus farming transaction involving offshore investors this year, highlighting the global appeal of prime Australian farmland.

Gundaline spans around 14,916-ha at Carrathool in the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area. Of this almost half – 6000ha -is developed to flood irrigation, with the balance comprising dryland cropping and grazing. Included in the sale were significant water entitlements.

>the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

What’s the problem with commercial operations conducting commerce, surely The Economy Must Grow and so forth, this is good news.

‘China owns this. This is now China.’

Where’s all the water gone?’

‘China needs cotton. Cotton needs water. China got the water. China’s water now. You go away now.’

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 09:56:25
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990665
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


roughbarked said:

Train crashes usually don’t go up in flames.


I suppose it depends on whether they are carrying flammable stuff, I suppose.

I’ll put a dollar on that horse.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 09:57:49
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990666
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

One of Asia’s biggest textile manufacturers and exporters, China-based Jinsheng Textiles, has paid around $120 million for Gundaline Station, a massive irrigated cotton farm near Darlington Point in the NSW Riverina.

The deal is the second $100 million-plus farming transaction involving offshore investors this year, highlighting the global appeal of prime Australian farmland.

Gundaline spans around 14,916-ha at Carrathool in the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area. Of this almost half – 6000ha -is developed to flood irrigation, with the balance comprising dryland cropping and grazing. Included in the sale were significant water entitlements.

>the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

What’s the problem with commercial operations conducting commerce, surely The Economy Must Grow and so forth, this is good news.

‘China owns this. This is now China.’

Where’s all the water gone?’

‘China needs cotton. Cotton needs water. China got the water. China’s water now. You go away now.’

and some typical australian wanted money more than being concerned with their country. typical greedy aussie.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 10:02:17
From: transition
ID: 1990667
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

how is it news that independent schools pay teachers more

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-05/public-schools-losing-teachers-to-private-education-jobs/101748966

darwinian arseholes running the show, undue influence over the culture, from across the pacific substantial part, to be emulated apparently, whatever, if you can retain even a vestige of a working concept of public you’re probably doing well

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 10:03:27
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990668
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


roughbarked said:

One of Asia’s biggest textile manufacturers and exporters, China-based Jinsheng Textiles, has paid around $120 million for Gundaline Station, a massive irrigated cotton farm near Darlington Point in the NSW Riverina.

The deal is the second $100 million-plus farming transaction involving offshore investors this year, highlighting the global appeal of prime Australian farmland.

Gundaline spans around 14,916-ha at Carrathool in the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area. Of this almost half – 6000ha -is developed to flood irrigation, with the balance comprising dryland cropping and grazing. Included in the sale were significant water entitlements.

>the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

What’s the problem with commercial operations conducting commerce, surely The Economy Must Grow and so forth, this is good news.


This is growing whose economy?

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 10:05:16
From: transition
ID: 1990669
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


SCIENCE said:

how is it news that independent schools pay teachers more

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-05/public-schools-losing-teachers-to-private-education-jobs/101748966

darwinian arseholes running the show, undue influence over the culture, from across the pacific substantial part, to be emulated apparently, whatever, if you can retain even a vestige of a working concept of public you’re probably doing well

not sure the broadcaster helps much, I mean you could watch and read it regularly and not have your working concept re that latter improved much at all, possibly get it secretly dissolved, who knows

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 10:06:35
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990670
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


SCIENCE said:

how is it news that independent schools pay teachers more

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-05/public-schools-losing-teachers-to-private-education-jobs/101748966

darwinian arseholes running the show, undue influence over the culture, from across the pacific substantial part, to be emulated apparently, whatever, if you can retain even a vestige of a working concept of public you’re probably doing well

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 10:06:54
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990671
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

One of Asia’s biggest textile manufacturers and exporters, China-based Jinsheng Textiles, has paid around $120 million for Gundaline Station, a massive irrigated cotton farm near Darlington Point in the NSW Riverina.

The deal is the second $100 million-plus farming transaction involving offshore investors this year, highlighting the global appeal of prime Australian farmland.

Gundaline spans around 14,916-ha at Carrathool in the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area. Of this almost half – 6000ha -is developed to flood irrigation, with the balance comprising dryland cropping and grazing. Included in the sale were significant water entitlements.

>the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

What’s the problem with commercial operations conducting commerce, surely The Economy Must Grow and so forth, this is good news.


This is growing whose economy?

Aye, there’s the rub.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 10:06:54
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990672
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

One of Asia’s biggest textile manufacturers and exporters, China-based Jinsheng Textiles, has paid around $120 million for Gundaline Station, a massive irrigated cotton farm near Darlington Point in the NSW Riverina.

The deal is the second $100 million-plus farming transaction involving offshore investors this year, highlighting the global appeal of prime Australian farmland.

Gundaline spans around 14,916-ha at Carrathool in the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area. Of this almost half – 6000ha -is developed to flood irrigation, with the balance comprising dryland cropping and grazing. Included in the sale were significant water entitlements.

>the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

What’s the problem with commercial operations conducting commerce, surely The Economy Must Grow and so forth, this is good news.


This is growing whose economy?

Aye, there’s the rub.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 10:10:25
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990674
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News:

‘From this snowy lair in the German Alps, a physicist spends his nights firing lasers into the sky’

It keeps him off the streets.

Obviously hasn’t got to the stage where the peasants take up torches and pitchforks yet.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 10:13:01
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990676
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

One of Asia’s biggest textile manufacturers and exporters, China-based Jinsheng Textiles, has paid around $120 million for Gundaline Station, a massive irrigated cotton farm near Darlington Point in the NSW Riverina.

The deal is the second $100 million-plus farming transaction involving offshore investors this year, highlighting the global appeal of prime Australian farmland.

Gundaline spans around 14,916-ha at Carrathool in the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area. Of this almost half – 6000ha -is developed to flood irrigation, with the balance comprising dryland cropping and grazing. Included in the sale were significant water entitlements.

>the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

What’s the problem with commercial operations conducting commerce, surely The Economy Must Grow and so forth, this is good news.


This is growing whose economy?

where was the outrage when a Dutch company bought it in 2019?

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 10:13:59
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990678
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


roughbarked said:

SCIENCE said:

What’s the problem with commercial operations conducting commerce, surely The Economy Must Grow and so forth, this is good news.


This is growing whose economy?

where was the outrage when a Dutch company bought it in 2019?

https://www.commercialrealestate.com.au/news/dutch-investors-add-gundaline-aussie-buying-spree-52853/

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 10:15:27
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990679
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


roughbarked said:

SCIENCE said:

What’s the problem with commercial operations conducting commerce, surely The Economy Must Grow and so forth, this is good news.


This is growing whose economy?

where was the outrage when a Dutch company bought it in 2019?

Well, you’re right, but that was kept comparatively quiet.

And no-one sees the Dutch as much of a threat these days. They haven’t occupied and militarised islands in this region for a good few hundred years now.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 10:16:58
From: Michael V
ID: 1990680
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

Train crashes usually don’t go up in flames.


I suppose it depends on whether they are carrying flammable stuff, I suppose.

I’ll put a dollar on that horse.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 10:21:27
From: Michael V
ID: 1990683
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


transition said:

SCIENCE said:

how is it news that independent schools pay teachers more

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-05/public-schools-losing-teachers-to-private-education-jobs/101748966

darwinian arseholes running the show, undue influence over the culture, from across the pacific substantial part, to be emulated apparently, whatever, if you can retain even a vestige of a working concept of public you’re probably doing well


I like that image, and I’ve appropriated it for my own use.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 10:25:55
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1990689
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


roughbarked said:

SCIENCE said:

What’s the problem with commercial operations conducting commerce, surely The Economy Must Grow and so forth, this is good news.


This is growing whose economy?

where was the outrage when a Dutch company bought it in 2019?

The outrage bus was getting serviced at the time.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 10:27:56
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990691
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


JudgeMental said:

roughbarked said:

This is growing whose economy?

where was the outrage when a Dutch company bought it in 2019?

The outrage bus was getting serviced at the time.

obviously. or the old, didn’t see that news item. yeah didn’t see it because it wasn’t chinese.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 10:30:47
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990696
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

JudgeMental said:

where was the outrage when a Dutch company bought it in 2019?

The outrage bus was getting serviced at the time.

obviously. or the old, didn’t see that news item. yeah didn’t see it because it wasn’t chinese.

Look, it’s a fact of life.

You put a typical Dutch capitalist in a line-up with people like Twiggy Forrest, Clive Palmer, Anthony Pratt, and he blends right in.

Put a Chinese capitalist investor in there, he stands out like a sore thumb.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 10:32:06
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1990697
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

JudgeMental said:

where was the outrage when a Dutch company bought it in 2019?

The outrage bus was getting serviced at the time.

obviously. or the old, didn’t see that news item. yeah didn’t see it because it wasn’t chinese.

DIRTY ASIANS!

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 10:34:22
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990699
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:

DIRTY ASIANS!

I don’t want dirty Asians here.

Or dirty Norwegians.

Or dirty Chileans. Or others.

Regular washing benefits everyone.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 11:08:27
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990727
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

If Bubblecar is about:

dulcimers!

https://imgur.com/gallery/IupDkdd

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 11:26:40
From: ms spock
ID: 1990746
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dia daoibh to all Earthlings!

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 11:27:08
From: buffy
ID: 1990747
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-05/mount-buffalo-chalet-shut-to-tourists-as-cafe-fails-to-open/101926766

I’m not sure I see a way of making the chalet viable for accommodation these days. People aren’t going to accept shared bathrooms and small rooms now. So the insides would have to be massively adjusted for the “modern” expectations.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 11:45:01
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1990756
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Well oops.

Man attempts trip to Sydney, Australia – and ends up in Sidney, Montana

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/feb/03/sydney-australia-montana-flight-mixup

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 12:35:44
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990764
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Back for coffee .

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 13:02:04
From: transition
ID: 1990777
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

been listening different owls on the tube and stuff related, mostly interested in barn owls

think one or two around here lastnight

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 13:04:04
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990778
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


been listening different owls on the tube and stuff related, mostly interested in barn owls

think one or two around here lastnight

Wouldn’t care to be a rodent around your way, then.

Found some big owl pellets the other day when taking the Wolf to the park for morning constitutional.

Big pellets, lots of fur and feet and tails in them.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 13:10:31
From: transition
ID: 1990781
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


transition said:

been listening different owls on the tube and stuff related, mostly interested in barn owls

think one or two around here lastnight

Wouldn’t care to be a rodent around your way, then.

Found some big owl pellets the other day when taking the Wolf to the park for morning constitutional.

Big pellets, lots of fur and feet and tails in them.

have got good pictures before, one in the yard here as wandered out back with torch, was able to follow it with the torch and where landed tended to stay as approached, for good pictures, probably blind once torch light on them

anyway lastnight heard screeching from treeline direction down back, later thought that possibly barn owl mating calls whatever

then just after went bed heard low frequency hoots and could hear bird on my roof, foot activity

sees nothing, brief look was all, cold and crook again with presume latest covid, lady symptoms similar

anyway keep an ear out tonight, have a look around again

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 13:36:05
From: Michael V
ID: 1990786
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


captain_spalding said:

transition said:

been listening different owls on the tube and stuff related, mostly interested in barn owls

think one or two around here lastnight

Wouldn’t care to be a rodent around your way, then.

Found some big owl pellets the other day when taking the Wolf to the park for morning constitutional.

Big pellets, lots of fur and feet and tails in them.

have got good pictures before, one in the yard here as wandered out back with torch, was able to follow it with the torch and where landed tended to stay as approached, for good pictures, probably blind once torch light on them

anyway lastnight heard screeching from treeline direction down back, later thought that possibly barn owl mating calls whatever

then just after went bed heard low frequency hoots and could hear bird on my roof, foot activity

sees nothing, brief look was all, cold and crook again with presume latest covid, lady symptoms similar

anyway keep an ear out tonight, have a look around again

More Covids? What a bummer.

:(

Good luck with that. You and you lady: get well soon.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 13:53:35
From: Michael V
ID: 1990788
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.sciencealert.com/archaeologists-mayve-discovered-the-oldest-and-most-complete-egyptian-mummy-yet

Preservation is exquisite. For images of statues, wall paintings etc, see:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn5ADD9ttgE/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=57134599-372d-42c0-bc50-93976640bc5e

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 14:25:01
From: buffy
ID: 1990795
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


captain_spalding said:

transition said:

been listening different owls on the tube and stuff related, mostly interested in barn owls

think one or two around here lastnight

Wouldn’t care to be a rodent around your way, then.

Found some big owl pellets the other day when taking the Wolf to the park for morning constitutional.

Big pellets, lots of fur and feet and tails in them.

have got good pictures before, one in the yard here as wandered out back with torch, was able to follow it with the torch and where landed tended to stay as approached, for good pictures, probably blind once torch light on them

anyway lastnight heard screeching from treeline direction down back, later thought that possibly barn owl mating calls whatever

then just after went bed heard low frequency hoots and could hear bird on my roof, foot activity

sees nothing, brief look was all, cold and crook again with presume latest covid, lady symptoms similar

anyway keep an ear out tonight, have a look around again

Again? Will you test this time? Or just assume again.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 14:27:30
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990796
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Time for a shower before heading for the shops for some wine to accompany tonight’s cheesy vegetarian pasta.

Still no sign of Mr Tunks. Neighbours must be shaking their heads and tut-tutting about the length of my grass.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 14:30:34
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990797
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Time for a shower before heading for the shops for some wine to accompany tonight’s cheesy vegetarian pasta.

Still no sign of Mr Tunks. Neighbours must be shaking their heads and tut-tutting about the length of my grass.

“That fat old cripple can’t mow his own grass, but he has no trouble toddling to the bottlo and back.”

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 14:43:08
From: party_pants
ID: 1990799
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Time for a shower before heading for the shops for some wine to accompany tonight’s cheesy vegetarian pasta.

Still no sign of Mr Tunks. Neighbours must be shaking their heads and tut-tutting about the length of my grass.

“That fat old cripple can’t mow his own grass, but he has no trouble toddling to the bottlo and back.”

I think you worry too much about what other people might be thinking about you.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 14:57:30
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990802
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Hey, Mr Car,

Did you see my earlier pointer to the posts about dulcimers?

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 14:59:51
From: transition
ID: 1990803
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

haircut and shave day, did the annual shower yesterday so good that way for another year

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 15:03:19
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990804
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

No cyclones this year, not on the east coast at any rate.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 15:05:21
From: Michael V
ID: 1990805
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Time for a shower before heading for the shops for some wine to accompany tonight’s cheesy vegetarian pasta.

Still no sign of Mr Tunks. Neighbours must be shaking their heads and tut-tutting about the length of my grass.

“That fat old cripple can’t mow his own grass, but he has no trouble toddling to the bottlo and back.”

Ha!

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 15:10:45
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990806
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


If Bubblecar is about:

dulcimers!

https://imgur.com/gallery/IupDkdd

Ta, Appalachian dulcimer. Actually an American version of the fretted zithers once popular in Scandinavia and Germany etc.

I’ve never owned or made a fretted zither but my big psaltery can be played as a hammered dulcimer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammered_dulcimer

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 15:16:55
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990808
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


captain_spalding said:

If Bubblecar is about:

dulcimers!

https://imgur.com/gallery/IupDkdd

Ta, Appalachian dulcimer. Actually an American version of the fretted zithers once popular in Scandinavia and Germany etc.

I’ve never owned or made a fretted zither but my big psaltery can be played as a hammered dulcimer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammered_dulcimer

Interesting word, psaltery.

Anything to do with psalms?

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 15:19:03
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990809
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Bubblecar said:

captain_spalding said:

If Bubblecar is about:

dulcimers!

https://imgur.com/gallery/IupDkdd

Ta, Appalachian dulcimer. Actually an American version of the fretted zithers once popular in Scandinavia and Germany etc.

I’ve never owned or made a fretted zither but my big psaltery can be played as a hammered dulcimer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammered_dulcimer

Interesting word, psaltery.

Anything to do with psalms?

According to Wiki:

The word psaltery derives from the Ancient Greek ψαλτήριον (psaltḗrion), “stringed instrument, psaltery, harp” and that from the verb ψάλλω (psállō), “to touch sharply, to pluck, pull, twitch” and in the case of the strings of musical instruments, “to play a stringed instrument with the fingers, and not with the plectrum.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psaltery

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 15:19:22
From: transition
ID: 1990810
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

cutting the neck hair, with no clear demarcation between that and the back hair…

me asks whataya do insert mrs transition’s name when you get down down to the bottom of the neck hair

lady responds I just make a line and stick with’t

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 15:21:40
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990811
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


cutting the neck hair, with no clear demarcation between that and the back hair…

me asks whataya do insert mrs transition’s name when you get down down to the bottom of the neck hair

lady responds I just make a line and stick with’t

I see, human from the neck up.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 15:22:15
From: transition
ID: 1990812
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

headhair done, reckon’s time to hack at the beard

shake off she says, outside

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 15:23:50
From: transition
ID: 1990813
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


transition said:

cutting the neck hair, with no clear demarcation between that and the back hair…

me asks whataya do insert mrs transition’s name when you get down down to the bottom of the neck hair

lady responds I just make a line and stick with’t

I see, human from the neck up.

i’m evolving

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 15:25:35
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990814
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Another Appalachian dulcimer clip:

https://imgur.com/gallery/r7wmpiC

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 15:26:35
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990815
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

having a habitation dispute with a spotted ground spider. fast little bugger that is hanging around the laptop and in the bit of mess located behind such. i try to ignore spiders except when they are the bath. and now on the keyboard. I just flicked him across the room but I bet he comes back.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 15:29:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990816
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

My psaltery, snapped some years back in the old cottage, with some huge feathers buffy sent me to pluck it with.

Thinking of tarting up that blank side with a fancy Morrocan frieze panel (lower picture).

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 15:29:27
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990817
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Another Appalachian dulcimer clip:

https://imgur.com/gallery/r7wmpiC

Joni Mitchell – Carey (Live London 1983)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnQK53FMxGw

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 15:30:28
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990818
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


having a habitation dispute with a spotted ground spider. fast little bugger that is hanging around the laptop and in the bit of mess located behind such. i try to ignore spiders except when they are the bath. and now on the keyboard. I just flicked him across the room but I bet he comes back.

Mostly just daddy longlegs in this house.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 15:31:50
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990819
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


My psaltery, snapped some years back in the old cottage, with some huge feathers buffy sent me to pluck it with.

Thinking of tarting up that blank side with a fancy Morrocan frieze panel (lower picture).


Mock-up in Photoshop of what it might look like:

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 15:36:54
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990820
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Now i’m put off BBQ ribs forever.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 15:39:58
From: buffy
ID: 1990821
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Time for a shower before heading for the shops for some wine to accompany tonight’s cheesy vegetarian pasta.

Still no sign of Mr Tunks. Neighbours must be shaking their heads and tut-tutting about the length of my grass.

I wouldn’t be expecting him on a Sunday.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 16:21:49
From: Michael V
ID: 1990830
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

My psaltery, snapped some years back in the old cottage, with some huge feathers buffy sent me to pluck it with.

Thinking of tarting up that blank side with a fancy Morrocan frieze panel (lower picture).


Mock-up in Photoshop of what it might look like:


I worked at a Chinese restaurant when I was a teenager. My boss, Wally Ng played a 2-bridge Yanqin – a Chinese dulcimer, and several other Chinese instruments, including what he called a two-string and three-string violins. A search reveals the names Erhu and Sanxian respectively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yangqin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanxian

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 16:52:29
From: transition
ID: 1990832
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dinner will be pasta, carbonara whatever, creamy bacon sort, on toast

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 17:06:33
From: transition
ID: 1990835
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


dinner will be pasta, carbonara whatever, creamy bacon sort, on toast

grated carrot too, italian dressing on

for car’s benefit, likes to know i’m eating properly

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 17:10:43
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990836
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News:

‘Over 500 Marilyn Monroe look-alikes flock to Adelaide beach, raising $200,000 for cancer research’

Of course, if Marilyn Monroe was still alive, she’d have no chance in that contest, because she’d be 94 years old and look nothing like the popular conception of Marilyn Monroe.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 17:12:19
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990837
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

My psaltery, snapped some years back in the old cottage, with some huge feathers buffy sent me to pluck it with.

Thinking of tarting up that blank side with a fancy Morrocan frieze panel (lower picture).


Mock-up in Photoshop of what it might look like:


I worked at a Chinese restaurant when I was a teenager. My boss, Wally Ng played a 2-bridge Yanqin – a Chinese dulcimer, and several other Chinese instruments, including what he called a two-string and three-string violins. A search reveals the names Erhu and Sanxian respectively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yangqin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanxian

My psaltery is partly strung with Chinese guzheng strings, but when I get around to it I’m going to restring it entirely with piano wire.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 17:13:11
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990839
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

BACK after a walk that would have been pleasant were it not for the savagely hot sun and gruelling foot pain.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 17:14:27
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990840
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


BACK after a walk that would have been pleasant were it not for the savagely hot sun and gruelling foot pain.

Savagely hot? Coldest February day in ages.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 17:18:12
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990841
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

BACK after a walk that would have been pleasant were it not for the savagely hot sun and gruelling foot pain.

Savagely hot? Coldest February day in ages.

I was cold the other night and I checked. 5 degrees. Better than 40 but…

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 17:18:50
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990842
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

BACK after a walk that would have been pleasant were it not for the savagely hot sun and gruelling foot pain.

Savagely hot? Coldest February day in ages.

I was cold the other night and I checked. 5 degrees. Better than 40 but…

25 here today but hotter than that while walking in the naked sun.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 17:20:06
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990843
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tonight’s dinner will be the same wholesome mix of greens as last night, but with the addition of a splash of white wine, handful of spirals and some grated Mainland Extra Tasty.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 17:21:32
From: transition
ID: 1990844
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


BACK after a walk that would have been pleasant were it not for the savagely hot sun and gruelling foot pain.

subject walks, might do that myself shortly, though bit warm I dawdles so homeostasis not a punishing experience

there was a time I didn’t know what homeostasis was, barely had a concept, but resolved the excesses of the mind over matter business, tamed it some, after not a few experiences of punishing heat

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 17:25:27
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990845
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

roughbarked said:

Savagely hot? Coldest February day in ages.

I was cold the other night and I checked. 5 degrees. Better than 40 but…

25 here today but hotter than that while walking in the naked sun.

I’d ask it to dress before dinner.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 17:31:26
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990847
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


captain_spalding said:

Another Appalachian dulcimer clip:

https://imgur.com/gallery/r7wmpiC

Joni Mitchell – Carey (Live London 1983)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnQK53FMxGw

One of my fave Joni songs.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 17:32:35
From: buffy
ID: 1990850
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Tonight’s dinner will be the same wholesome mix of greens as last night, but with the addition of a splash of white wine, handful of spirals and some grated Mainland Extra Tasty.

We are going to eat the cold Red Cooked Chicken tonight. With lettuce and fetta and tomato and onion salad. And the leftover baked potatoes from the other night. I’ll nuke them and then toss them in the wok to crisp the outsides up again.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 19:28:00
From: Kingy
ID: 1990878
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’ve been pretty busy lately and rarely get time to pop in, but I msgd CB88 a couple of weeks ago about including DV’s index in the headers. Just got a reply yesterday and there it is. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 19:31:16
From: sibeen
ID: 1990879
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


I’ve been pretty busy lately and rarely get time to pop in, but I msgd CB88 a couple of weeks ago about including DV’s index in the headers. Just got a reply yesterday and there it is. :)

And the “CNTL f “ search function works within it. Win all round :)

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 19:34:27
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990880
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Kingy said:

I’ve been pretty busy lately and rarely get time to pop in, but I msgd CB88 a couple of weeks ago about including DV’s index in the headers. Just got a reply yesterday and there it is. :)

And the “CNTL f “ search function works within it. Win all round :)

the what, double interrobang

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 19:39:50
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990881
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


I’ve been pretty busy lately and rarely get time to pop in, but I msgd CB88 a couple of weeks ago about including DV’s index in the headers. Just got a reply yesterday and there it is. :)

that’s convenient.

thanks. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 19:42:48
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990883
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


I’ve been pretty busy lately and rarely get time to pop in, but I msgd CB88 a couple of weeks ago about including DV’s index in the headers. Just got a reply yesterday and there it is. :)

Kewl.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 19:43:45
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990884
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Maidstone Zoo in Kent closed the year of my birth, 1959.

Felicity the duck was the constant companion of Miss Joyce Theobald, who looked after a group of animals at Maidstone Zoo.
She was a great favourite with the children who brought along material to make her a coat, June 1948.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 19:44:39
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990886
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Kingy said:

I’ve been pretty busy lately and rarely get time to pop in, but I msgd CB88 a couple of weeks ago about including DV’s index in the headers. Just got a reply yesterday and there it is. :)

Kewl.

Yeah, i noticed that. Good idea, that.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 19:45:00
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990887
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Maidstone Zoo in Kent closed the year of my birth, 1959.

Felicity the duck was the constant companion of Miss Joyce Theobald, who looked after a group of animals at Maidstone Zoo.
She was a great favourite with the children who brought along material to make her a coat, June 1948.


How could the duck fly with that getup on?

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 19:46:43
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990888
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

Maidstone Zoo in Kent closed the year of my birth, 1959.

Felicity the duck was the constant companion of Miss Joyce Theobald, who looked after a group of animals at Maidstone Zoo.
She was a great favourite with the children who brought along material to make her a coat, June 1948.


How could the duck fly with that getup on?

Probably went First Class. They’re used to eccentric celebrities.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 19:47:22
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990889
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

Maidstone Zoo in Kent closed the year of my birth, 1959.

Felicity the duck was the constant companion of Miss Joyce Theobald, who looked after a group of animals at Maidstone Zoo.
She was a great favourite with the children who brought along material to make her a coat, June 1948.


How could the duck fly with that getup on?

Probably went First Class. They’re used to eccentric celebrities.

Heh.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 19:48:34
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990890
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Anyway, that’s my backyard lawns mowed, a lot of weeding done.
Now to patch up my poor cracked hands.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 19:49:17
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990891
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

Maidstone Zoo in Kent closed the year of my birth, 1959.

Felicity the duck was the constant companion of Miss Joyce Theobald, who looked after a group of animals at Maidstone Zoo.
She was a great favourite with the children who brought along material to make her a coat, June 1948.


How could the duck fly with that getup on?

domestic ducks don’t do much flying.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 19:52:33
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990892
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

Maidstone Zoo in Kent closed the year of my birth, 1959.

Felicity the duck was the constant companion of Miss Joyce Theobald, who looked after a group of animals at Maidstone Zoo.
She was a great favourite with the children who brought along material to make her a coat, June 1948.


How could the duck fly with that getup on?

domestic ducks don’t do much flying.

So somebody put the duck on her shoulder?

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 19:53:35
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990893
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

At Maidstone Zoo you could ride a real elephant, a real pony or a stuffed lion.

Brothers Gordon and Alec Crouch pose on the lion in 1936

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 19:54:59
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990894
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

roughbarked said:

How could the duck fly with that getup on?

domestic ducks don’t do much flying.

So somebody put the duck on her shoulder?

The cutest little ladder you’ve ever seen…

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 19:58:54
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990895
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


At Maidstone Zoo you could ride a real elephant, a real pony or a stuffed lion.

Brothers Gordon and Alec Crouch pose on the lion in 1936

You could ride on an elephant’s back at Sydney’s Taronga Park Zoo, certainly until the late 1960s.

When i was about 9, i asked the elephant handler if the elephant’s minded, and he said that they seemed to enjoy it, and if it upset them, they wouldn’t have them do it.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 19:59:30
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990896
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

roughbarked said:

How could the duck fly with that getup on?

domestic ducks don’t do much flying.

So somebody put the duck on her shoulder?


reckon.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 19:59:54
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990897
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

There was a large park for some of the animals but others were relegated to the sad small cages that were common in those days.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:02:17
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990898
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Bubblecar said:

At Maidstone Zoo you could ride a real elephant, a real pony or a stuffed lion.

Brothers Gordon and Alec Crouch pose on the lion in 1936

You could ride on an elephant’s back at Sydney’s Taronga Park Zoo, certainly until the late 1960s.

When i was about 9, i asked the elephant handler if the elephant’s minded, and he said that they seemed to enjoy it, and if it upset them, they wouldn’t have them do it.

don’t admit these days that you enjoy that memory. I did. in a facebook group. animal rights came at me from all sides.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:02:57
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990899
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Bubblecar said:

At Maidstone Zoo you could ride a real elephant, a real pony or a stuffed lion.

Brothers Gordon and Alec Crouch pose on the lion in 1936

You could ride on an elephant’s back at Sydney’s Taronga Park Zoo, certainly until the late 1960s.

When i was about 9, i asked the elephant handler if the elephant’s minded, and he said that they seemed to enjoy it, and if it upset them, they wouldn’t have them do it.

I had the obligatory elephant ride at Adelaide Zoo as a youngster (this snap is from that zoo but in the 1920s).

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:05:38
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990900
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Geoscience Australia confirms 4.1-magnitude earthquake between Arthur River and Wagin

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:05:41
From: sibeen
ID: 1990901
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


captain_spalding said:

Bubblecar said:

At Maidstone Zoo you could ride a real elephant, a real pony or a stuffed lion.

Brothers Gordon and Alec Crouch pose on the lion in 1936

You could ride on an elephant’s back at Sydney’s Taronga Park Zoo, certainly until the late 1960s.

When i was about 9, i asked the elephant handler if the elephant’s minded, and he said that they seemed to enjoy it, and if it upset them, they wouldn’t have them do it.

don’t admit these days that you enjoy that memory. I did. in a facebook group. animal rights came at me from all sides.

Tell them to fuck off :)

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:11:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990902
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Taronga Zoo elephant ride in Edwardian days.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:12:31
From: Arts
ID: 1990903
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


At Maidstone Zoo you could ride a real elephant, a real pony or a stuffed lion.

Brothers Gordon and Alec Crouch pose on the lion in 1936

that lion looks sick

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:12:57
From: Arts
ID: 1990904
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Bubblecar said:

At Maidstone Zoo you could ride a real elephant, a real pony or a stuffed lion.

Brothers Gordon and Alec Crouch pose on the lion in 1936

You could ride on an elephant’s back at Sydney’s Taronga Park Zoo, certainly until the late 1960s.

When i was about 9, i asked the elephant handler if the elephant’s minded, and he said that they seemed to enjoy it, and if it upset them, they wouldn’t have them do it.

how would the handler know?

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:13:39
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990905
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Alfred Hitchcock sitting on a turtle during his visit to Taronga Zoo during his 1960 visit to Australia to promote his film Psycho.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:13:49
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990906
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News:

‘Pakistan’s last military ruler Pervez Musharraf dies aged 79’

I think that it ought to read ‘most recent’ rather than ‘last’.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:13:54
From: Kingy
ID: 1990907
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Geoscience Australia confirms 4.1-magnitude earthquake between Arthur River and Wagin

Not far from the farm that I grew up on.

My first memory is of getting thrown around by the Meckering earthquake and running outside to watch the house and tv aerial shake and wobble.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:14:00
From: sibeen
ID: 1990908
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Bubblecar said:

At Maidstone Zoo you could ride a real elephant, a real pony or a stuffed lion.

Brothers Gordon and Alec Crouch pose on the lion in 1936

that lion looks sick

It’s pining for the veldt.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:14:13
From: Arts
ID: 1990909
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


There was a large park for some of the animals but others were relegated to the sad small cages that were common in those days.

yes animal husbandry methods have come a long way since those days…

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:14:17
From: Kingy
ID: 1990910
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Bubblecar said:

At Maidstone Zoo you could ride a real elephant, a real pony or a stuffed lion.

Brothers Gordon and Alec Crouch pose on the lion in 1936

that lion looks sick

Fully Sik!

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:15:37
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990911
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


captain_spalding said:

Bubblecar said:

At Maidstone Zoo you could ride a real elephant, a real pony or a stuffed lion.

Brothers Gordon and Alec Crouch pose on the lion in 1936

You could ride on an elephant’s back at Sydney’s Taronga Park Zoo, certainly until the late 1960s.

When i was about 9, i asked the elephant handler if the elephant’s minded, and he said that they seemed to enjoy it, and if it upset them, they wouldn’t have them do it.

how would the handler know?

Well, i’ve been thinking about that, and with the relationships, affection and understanding that we see developed between zoo animals and their particular keepers in various presentations on TV, i imagine that he probably had some insight.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:16:16
From: Arts
ID: 1990912
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


captain_spalding said:

Bubblecar said:

At Maidstone Zoo you could ride a real elephant, a real pony or a stuffed lion.

Brothers Gordon and Alec Crouch pose on the lion in 1936

You could ride on an elephant’s back at Sydney’s Taronga Park Zoo, certainly until the late 1960s.

When i was about 9, i asked the elephant handler if the elephant’s minded, and he said that they seemed to enjoy it, and if it upset them, they wouldn’t have them do it.

don’t admit these days that you enjoy that memory. I did. in a facebook group. animal rights came at me from all sides.

they don’t shift their minds on a temporal level.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:16:45
From: Kingy
ID: 1990913
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I think this is someone we know.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:17:05
From: roughbarked
ID: 1990914
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Bubblecar said:

At Maidstone Zoo you could ride a real elephant, a real pony or a stuffed lion.

Brothers Gordon and Alec Crouch pose on the lion in 1936

that lion looks sick

Actually looks quite stuffed.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:17:12
From: Arts
ID: 1990915
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Arts said:

Bubblecar said:

At Maidstone Zoo you could ride a real elephant, a real pony or a stuffed lion.

Brothers Gordon and Alec Crouch pose on the lion in 1936

that lion looks sick

It’s pining for the veldt.

speaking of wildcats.. we made it to the playoffs in spectacular fashion.. another nail bitter..

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:19:50
From: Arts
ID: 1990916
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Arts said:

captain_spalding said:

You could ride on an elephant’s back at Sydney’s Taronga Park Zoo, certainly until the late 1960s.

When i was about 9, i asked the elephant handler if the elephant’s minded, and he said that they seemed to enjoy it, and if it upset them, they wouldn’t have them do it.

how would the handler know?

Well, i’ve been thinking about that, and with the relationships, affection and understanding that we see developed between zoo animals and their particular keepers in various presentations on TV, i imagine that he probably had some insight.

yeah… I don’t know how old you are or how long ago that was… but I still doubt that wasn’t anything more than what they should say…

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:20:31
From: Arts
ID: 1990917
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


I think this is someone we know.


I hope my hair covers the great cranium.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:21:04
From: Arts
ID: 1990918
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Arts said:

Bubblecar said:

At Maidstone Zoo you could ride a real elephant, a real pony or a stuffed lion.

Brothers Gordon and Alec Crouch pose on the lion in 1936

that lion looks sick

Actually looks quite stuffed.

that was my first impression, but who knows in those days,, it could just be drugged

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:22:27
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990919
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bears at Adelaide Zoo had a habit of ripping keepers’ arms off.

Adelaide Zoo’s dark history a tale of massacre, dismemberment and drunk elephant handlers

This brown bear (now stuffed) ripped a keeper’s arm off in 1902, but there was a similar episode involving a polar bear in 1920.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-09/tour-the-dark-history-of-the-adelaide-zoo/9791234

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:22:58
From: sibeen
ID: 1990920
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sibeen said:

Arts said:

that lion looks sick

It’s pining for the veldt.

speaking of wildcats.. we made it to the playoffs in spectacular fashion.. another nail bitter..

I think you need to work on your segueing.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:24:14
From: Arts
ID: 1990921
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Arts said:

sibeen said:

It’s pining for the veldt.

speaking of wildcats.. we made it to the playoffs in spectacular fashion.. another nail bitter..

I think you need to work on your segueing.

no. I don’t

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:32:33
From: tauto
ID: 1990922
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sibeen said:

Arts said:

speaking of wildcats.. we made it to the playoffs in spectacular fashion.. another nail bitter..

I think you need to work on your segueing.

no. I don’t

—-

That was one of the best big bash games ever. All lost for the scorchers at the end of over 17 and 19yo Cooper Connely comes to the crease and announces himself to the world.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:39:45
From: Kingy
ID: 1990923
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Here’s something cool.

“The video shows four dots of light moving in partial concentric circles around a black disk at their center. What you’re actually looking at is a planetary system.

The four dots are exoplanets, with the black disk obscuring their star, 133.3 light-years away from Earth. The partial circles are their orbital motions, a time-lapse compiled from 12 years of observations.

The star is HR8799, and in 2008 its exoplanets made up the first system (not the first exoplanet, that was 2M1207b in 2004) astronomers had ever seen directly.

Since then, astronomer Jason Wang of Northwestern University has been watching it avidly. He’s compiled those observations into a time-lapse – not for any scientific reason, but just because it’s super awesome.”

https://www.sciencealert.com/incredible-footage-shows-planets-circling-a-star-light-years-away

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:43:47
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990924
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Here’s something cool.

“The video shows four dots of light moving in partial concentric circles around a black disk at their center. What you’re actually looking at is a planetary system.

The four dots are exoplanets, with the black disk obscuring their star, 133.3 light-years away from Earth. The partial circles are their orbital motions, a time-lapse compiled from 12 years of observations.

The star is HR8799, and in 2008 its exoplanets made up the first system (not the first exoplanet, that was 2M1207b in 2004) astronomers had ever seen directly.

Since then, astronomer Jason Wang of Northwestern University has been watching it avidly. He’s compiled those observations into a time-lapse – not for any scientific reason, but just because it’s super awesome.”

https://www.sciencealert.com/incredible-footage-shows-planets-circling-a-star-light-years-away

Astronomers of the previous century would be astounded.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:47:01
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990925
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

60 DAYS 06 HOURS. until easter.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:48:15
From: Arts
ID: 1990926
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


60 DAYS 06 HOURS. until easter.

Easter eggs have been in the shops for a while and hot cross buns since Boxing Day… that’ll be marketing’s handiwork again.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:50:41
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990927
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


JudgeMental said:

60 DAYS 06 HOURS. until easter.

Easter eggs have been in the shops for a while and hot cross buns since Boxing Day… that’ll be marketing’s handiwork again.

i think they were festival eggs and holiday buns.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:51:42
From: tauto
ID: 1990928
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


60 DAYS 06 HOURS. until easter.

—-

Why does google say 63 days?

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:55:14
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990929
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

tauto said:


JudgeMental said:

60 DAYS 06 HOURS. until easter.

—-

Why does google say 63 days?

Yanks. plus I took to good friday whilst ‘easter” is sunday.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 20:58:07
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990930
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


tauto said:

JudgeMental said:

60 DAYS 06 HOURS. until easter.

—-

Why does google say 63 days?

Yanks. plus I took to good friday whilst ‘easter” is sunday.

60 DAYS
06 HOURS
02 MINUTES
29 SECONDS
Time until Friday, 7 April 2023 (WA time)

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 21:01:15
From: tauto
ID: 1990931
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


JudgeMental said:

tauto said:

—-

Why does google say 63 days?

Yanks. plus I took to good friday whilst ‘easter” is sunday.

60 DAYS
06 HOURS
02 MINUTES
29 SECONDS
Time until Friday, 7 April 2023 (WA time)

_

So it is special to you for non obvious religious reasons?

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 21:03:04
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990932
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

tauto said:


JudgeMental said:

JudgeMental said:

Yanks. plus I took to good friday whilst ‘easter” is sunday.

60 DAYS
06 HOURS
02 MINUTES
29 SECONDS
Time until Friday, 7 April 2023 (WA time)

_

So it is special to you for non obvious religious reasons?

not special. just annoying people with a countdown. plus thinking of those treats and how long it is before one can legally have them.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 21:14:52
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1990933
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


tauto said:

JudgeMental said:

60 DAYS
06 HOURS
02 MINUTES
29 SECONDS
Time until Friday, 7 April 2023 (WA time)

_

So it is special to you for non obvious religious reasons?

not special. just annoying people with a countdown. plus thinking of those treats and how long it is before one can legally have them.

I don’t think you can do anything to make yourself more annoying.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 21:16:23
From: buffy
ID: 1990934
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Anyway, that’s my backyard lawns mowed, a lot of weeding done.
Now to patch up my poor cracked hands.

Gloves. Wear gloves when weeding.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 21:18:14
From: tauto
ID: 1990935
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


tauto said:

JudgeMental said:

60 DAYS
06 HOURS
02 MINUTES
29 SECONDS
Time until Friday, 7 April 2023 (WA time)

_

So it is special to you for non obvious religious reasons?

not special. just annoying people with a countdown. plus thinking of those treats and how long it is before one can legally have them.

_

Yeah it pisses me off too, that Jesus wouldn’t give a shit about hot cross buns and easter eggs.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 21:18:39
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990936
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


JudgeMental said:

tauto said:

_

So it is special to you for non obvious religious reasons?

not special. just annoying people with a countdown. plus thinking of those treats and how long it is before one can legally have them.

I don’t think you can do anything to make yourself more annoying.

pffft hold my beer.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 21:20:36
From: Kingy
ID: 1990937
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Kingy said:

Here’s something cool.

“The video shows four dots of light moving in partial concentric circles around a black disk at their center. What you’re actually looking at is a planetary system.

The four dots are exoplanets, with the black disk obscuring their star, 133.3 light-years away from Earth. The partial circles are their orbital motions, a time-lapse compiled from 12 years of observations.

The star is HR8799, and in 2008 its exoplanets made up the first system (not the first exoplanet, that was 2M1207b in 2004) astronomers had ever seen directly.

Since then, astronomer Jason Wang of Northwestern University has been watching it avidly. He’s compiled those observations into a time-lapse – not for any scientific reason, but just because it’s super awesome.”

https://www.sciencealert.com/incredible-footage-shows-planets-circling-a-star-light-years-away

Astronomers of the previous century would be astounded.

I’m astounded now. That’s the first time I’ve seen a moving image of a real solar system that isn’t ours.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 21:23:04
From: Kingy
ID: 1990938
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Bubblecar said:

Kingy said:

Here’s something cool.

“The video shows four dots of light moving in partial concentric circles around a black disk at their center. What you’re actually looking at is a planetary system.

The four dots are exoplanets, with the black disk obscuring their star, 133.3 light-years away from Earth. The partial circles are their orbital motions, a time-lapse compiled from 12 years of observations.

The star is HR8799, and in 2008 its exoplanets made up the first system (not the first exoplanet, that was 2M1207b in 2004) astronomers had ever seen directly.

Since then, astronomer Jason Wang of Northwestern University has been watching it avidly. He’s compiled those observations into a time-lapse – not for any scientific reason, but just because it’s super awesome.”

https://www.sciencealert.com/incredible-footage-shows-planets-circling-a-star-light-years-away

Astronomers of the previous century would be astounded.

I’m astounded now. That’s the first time I’ve seen a moving image of a real solar system that isn’t ours.

I haven’t looked up the details, but there is a tiny slim chance that there is life on one of those dots.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 21:25:24
From: buffy
ID: 1990939
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Geoscience Australia confirms 4.1-magnitude earthquake between Arthur River and Wagin

>>Residents south-east of Perth have reported “unreal” shaking that sounded “like heavy trucks” following a 4.1-magnitude earthquake.<<

We live 50m from the highway which is used by the B double pine log trucks. And other B doubles. If we felt something like that we would just say “Another truck”. But we would probably know it was coming because we can hear them braking from about a km out of town. And on a still night from further than that.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 21:25:36
From: tauto
ID: 1990940
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


JudgeMental said:

tauto said:

_

So it is special to you for non obvious religious reasons?

not special. just annoying people with a countdown. plus thinking of those treats and how long it is before one can legally have them.

I don’t think you can do anything to make yourself more annoying.

Hey witty, did you ever figure out why i called you jittery i wonder?

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 21:29:18
From: Kingy
ID: 1990941
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Nice pic of the Chinese spy balloon.

Luckily there is an F22 air defense system:

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 21:34:48
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1990942
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

tauto said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

JudgeMental said:

not special. just annoying people with a countdown. plus thinking of those treats and how long it is before one can legally have them.

I don’t think you can do anything to make yourself more annoying.

Hey witty, did you ever figure out why i called you jittery i wonder?

I do not recall.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 21:38:40
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990943
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


JudgeMental said:

60 DAYS 06 HOURS. until easter.

Easter eggs have been in the shops for a while and hot cross buns since Boxing Day… that’ll be marketing’s handiwork again.

Last year, in January, I asked Mrs S’s nephew (a baker for a bakery chain) when they’d start making hot cross buns.

‘Been bakin’ em since October’, he said.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 21:39:50
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1990944
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

tauto said:

Yeah it pisses me off too, that Jesus wouldn’t give a shit about hot cross buns and easter eggs.

Well, he might have liked them, if they’d had them then.

But, of course, it was up to him to create the ‘need’ for them.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 22:23:57
From: Kingy
ID: 1990946
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

One of the younger guys in the fire brigade asked me yesterday if I would like to join him in a car cruise today. He has a car club, which is part of a larger car club. It’s the first time that I have been in the passenger seat, I don’t like it.

I took a bunch of pics of the various cars, which I may be able to post from my phone shortly…

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 22:28:33
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990947
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Henry Stuart’s Great Western Store, Tambaroora Street, Hill End, NSW in 1873 and in 2023. Now a museum.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 22:31:56
From: Kingy
ID: 1990948
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 22:42:04
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990949
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:



Stumpy would have enjoyed that meeting.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 22:46:42
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990950
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

Geoscience Australia confirms 4.1-magnitude earthquake between Arthur River and Wagin

>>Residents south-east of Perth have reported “unreal” shaking that sounded “like heavy trucks” following a 4.1-magnitude earthquake.<<

We live 50m from the highway which is used by the B double pine log trucks. And other B doubles. If we felt something like that we would just say “Another truck”. But we would probably know it was coming because we can hear them braking from about a km out of town. And on a still night from further than that.

When the earthquake started at South Mole Creek I was in the old house and at first thought it was another possum loudly stomping on the roof, but then immediately the entire roof started shaking with a deafening roar.

That’s why timber houses with iron roofs are regarded as good earthquake structures – the vibrations are transmitted through the wooden frames and dissipated by the shaking roof.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 22:50:33
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990952
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Kingy said:


Stumpy would have enjoyed that meeting.

That was what I was thinking.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 22:55:12
From: dv
ID: 1990953
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-04/jupiter-moon-count-jumps-to-record-92/101931202
Astronomers have discovered 12 new moons around Jupiter, putting the total count at a record-breaking 92.
That is more than any other planet in our solar system. Saturn, the one-time leader, comes in a close second with 83 confirmed moons.
Jupiter’s moons were added recently to a list kept by the International Astronomical Union’s Minor Planet Center, said Scott Sheppard of the Carnegie Institution, who was part of the team.

They were discovered using telescopes in Hawaii and Chile in 2021 and 2022, and their orbits were confirmed with follow-up observations.

These newest moons range in size from 1 kilometre to 3 kilometres, according to Dr Sheppard

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 22:58:47
From: dv
ID: 1990955
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Nice to see such a big collection of cars that can still be hotwired

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 22:59:26
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990956
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-04/jupiter-moon-count-jumps-to-record-92/101931202
Astronomers have discovered 12 new moons around Jupiter, putting the total count at a record-breaking 92.
That is more than any other planet in our solar system. Saturn, the one-time leader, comes in a close second with 83 confirmed moons.
Jupiter’s moons were added recently to a list kept by the International Astronomical Union’s Minor Planet Center, said Scott Sheppard of the Carnegie Institution, who was part of the team.

They were discovered using telescopes in Hawaii and Chile in 2021 and 2022, and their orbits were confirmed with follow-up observations.

These newest moons range in size from 1 kilometre to 3 kilometres, according to Dr Sheppard

That’s a PB for Jupiter.
>>They were discovered using telescopes
Well done.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:04:11
From: dv
ID: 1990957
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


dv said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-04/jupiter-moon-count-jumps-to-record-92/101931202
Astronomers have discovered 12 new moons around Jupiter, putting the total count at a record-breaking 92.
That is more than any other planet in our solar system. Saturn, the one-time leader, comes in a close second with 83 confirmed moons.
Jupiter’s moons were added recently to a list kept by the International Astronomical Union’s Minor Planet Center, said Scott Sheppard of the Carnegie Institution, who was part of the team.

They were discovered using telescopes in Hawaii and Chile in 2021 and 2022, and their orbits were confirmed with follow-up observations.

These newest moons range in size from 1 kilometre to 3 kilometres, according to Dr Sheppard

That’s a PB for Jupiter.
>>They were discovered using telescopes
Well done.

Also I just discovered there is a moon of Uranus called Margaret.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:06:12
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990958
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Just been enjoying the cool night air on the front porch with a glass of chilled bubbly. There’s a fine full moon out there.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:07:49
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990959
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Peak Warming Man said:

dv said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-04/jupiter-moon-count-jumps-to-record-92/101931202
Astronomers have discovered 12 new moons around Jupiter, putting the total count at a record-breaking 92.
That is more than any other planet in our solar system. Saturn, the one-time leader, comes in a close second with 83 confirmed moons.
Jupiter’s moons were added recently to a list kept by the International Astronomical Union’s Minor Planet Center, said Scott Sheppard of the Carnegie Institution, who was part of the team.

They were discovered using telescopes in Hawaii and Chile in 2021 and 2022, and their orbits were confirmed with follow-up observations.

These newest moons range in size from 1 kilometre to 3 kilometres, according to Dr Sheppard

That’s a PB for Jupiter.
>>They were discovered using telescopes
Well done.

Also I just discovered there is a moon of Uranus called Margaret.

Named after…?

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:08:40
From: Arts
ID: 1990960
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

It’s graduations time at the University near us. We can hear the fireworks from inside the house and see them if we stand out in the street.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:08:49
From: dv
ID: 1990961
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


dv said:

Peak Warming Man said:

That’s a PB for Jupiter.
>>They were discovered using telescopes
Well done.

Also I just discovered there is a moon of Uranus called Margaret.

Named after…?

Character in Much Ado About Nothing

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:09:10
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990962
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Just been enjoying the cool night air on the front porch with a glass of chilled bubbly. There’s a fine full moon out there.

Aye, it accompanied me down the range this evening, it was a harvest moon.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:09:26
From: dv
ID: 1990963
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


It’s graduations time at the University near us. We can hear the fireworks from inside the house and see them if we stand out in the street.

Are they going to throw their boards in the air?

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:09:38
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990964
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


It’s graduations time at the University near us. We can hear the fireworks from inside the house and see them if we stand out in the street.

Graduating in February, that was a short academic year.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:10:49
From: dv
ID: 1990965
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I have to say I’m not a big fan of MAAN. Certainly prefer the tragedies.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:11:21
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990966
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


dv said:

Peak Warming Man said:

That’s a PB for Jupiter.
>>They were discovered using telescopes
Well done.

Also I just discovered there is a moon of Uranus called Margaret.

Named after…?

Margaret Thatcher, she was a scientist and the first world leader to alert the world to climate change in a headland speech to the United Nations.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:12:15
From: Arts
ID: 1990967
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Arts said:

It’s graduations time at the University near us. We can hear the fireworks from inside the house and see them if we stand out in the street.

Are they going to throw their boards in the air?

I don’t know…. I can’t see that but.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:13:04
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990968
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Peak Warming Man said:

dv said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-04/jupiter-moon-count-jumps-to-record-92/101931202
Astronomers have discovered 12 new moons around Jupiter, putting the total count at a record-breaking 92.
That is more than any other planet in our solar system. Saturn, the one-time leader, comes in a close second with 83 confirmed moons.
Jupiter’s moons were added recently to a list kept by the International Astronomical Union’s Minor Planet Center, said Scott Sheppard of the Carnegie Institution, who was part of the team.

They were discovered using telescopes in Hawaii and Chile in 2021 and 2022, and their orbits were confirmed with follow-up observations.

These newest moons range in size from 1 kilometre to 3 kilometres, according to Dr Sheppard

That’s a PB for Jupiter.
>>They were discovered using telescopes
Well done.

Also I just discovered there is a moon of Uranus called Margaret.

that’s mad!

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:13:17
From: Arts
ID: 1990969
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Arts said:

It’s graduations time at the University near us. We can hear the fireworks from inside the house and see them if we stand out in the street.

Graduating in February, that was a short academic year.

No they graduate in Feb from 2022. It’s because some students get supplementary exams etc and grades aren’t finalised until now…. The uni i work at doesn’t do them until March.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:13:28
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990970
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I have to say I’m not a big fan of MAAN. Certainly prefer the tragedies.

Uranus needs a moon called Dogberry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogberry

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:13:36
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990971
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


dv said:

Arts said:

It’s graduations time at the University near us. We can hear the fireworks from inside the house and see them if we stand out in the street.

Are they going to throw their boards in the air?

I don’t know…. I can’t see that but.

Will the ones who failed get counciling?

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:14:08
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990972
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Bubblecar said:

Arts said:

It’s graduations time at the University near us. We can hear the fireworks from inside the house and see them if we stand out in the street.

Graduating in February, that was a short academic year.

No they graduate in Feb from 2022. It’s because some students get supplementary exams etc and grades aren’t finalised until now…. The uni i work at doesn’t do them until March.

Ah.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:15:03
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990973
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Arts said:

dv said:

Are they going to throw their boards in the air?

I don’t know…. I can’t see that but.

Will the ones who failed get counciling?

counselling

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:16:55
From: party_pants
ID: 1990974
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Just been enjoying the cool night air on the front porch with a glass of chilled bubbly. There’s a fine full moon out there.

Aye. In my case the back courtyard, with cold beer. But still the same fine full moon. Just watched it rise over here.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:17:02
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990975
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Arts said:

I don’t know…. I can’t see that but.

Will the ones who failed get counciling?

counselling

Ta.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:19:05
From: Arts
ID: 1990976
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Arts said:

dv said:

Are they going to throw their boards in the air?

I don’t know…. I can’t see that but.

Will the ones who failed get counciling?

Sometimes if they need it. See, even though people can still be emotionally fucked over, just like the ‘good old days’, we try to provide supports for those who seek it, so they will either try again or try another thing, instead of heading to depression, drug use or other antisocial behaviours.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:19:12
From: dv
ID: 1990977
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

dv said:

Also I just discovered there is a moon of Uranus called Margaret.

Named after…?

Margaret Thatcher, she was a scientist and the first world leader to alert the world to climate change in a headland speech to the United Nations.

I wonder whether anything is signified by the fact that the two longest serving female leaders from western Europe were both chemists.

Certainly makes a nice change from lawyer, lawyer, banker, union official, agribusinessman, lawyer…

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:19:26
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990978
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

no moon here. but then i’m inside. plus unless it is different then I have seen this one a few times.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:19:58
From: dv
ID: 1990979
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


dv said:

I have to say I’m not a big fan of MAAN. Certainly prefer the tragedies.

Uranus needs a moon called Dogberry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogberry

Surely Uranus needs a moon called Bottom

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:20:03
From: Arts
ID: 1990980
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


no moon here. but then i’m inside. plus unless it is different then I have seen this one a few times.

Since the dawn of time.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:22:37
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990981
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Bubblecar said:

dv said:

I have to say I’m not a big fan of MAAN. Certainly prefer the tragedies.

Uranus needs a moon called Dogberry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogberry

Surely Uranus needs a moon called Bottom

Where the hell did Shakespear get a name like that from.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:23:45
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1990982
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Bubblecar said:

dv said:

I have to say I’m not a big fan of MAAN. Certainly prefer the tragedies.

Uranus needs a moon called Dogberry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogberry

Surely Uranus needs a moon called Bottom

Especially as it already has Puck, Titania and Oberon.

Maybe they thought Bottom would be too coarse a match with the parent planet.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:23:55
From: dv
ID: 1990983
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


dv said:

Bubblecar said:

Uranus needs a moon called Dogberry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogberry

Surely Uranus needs a moon called Bottom

Where the hell did Shakespear get a name like that from.

Bit of a stealth pun. He gets turned into an ass.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:24:00
From: Kingy
ID: 1990984
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Arts said:

I don’t know…. I can’t see that but.

Will the ones who failed get counciling?

Sometimes if they need it. See, even though people can still be emotionally fucked over, just like the ‘good old days’, we try to provide supports for those who seek it, so they will either try again or try another thing, instead of heading to depression, drug use or other antisocial behaviours.

Or end up here with the few people who still understand facts and science.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:26:00
From: Kingy
ID: 1990985
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


dv said:

Bubblecar said:

Uranus needs a moon called Dogberry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogberry

Surely Uranus needs a moon called Bottom

Where the hell did Shakespear get a name like that from.

He visited Western Australia where we have spearmint as a milkshake flavour.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:26:34
From: sibeen
ID: 1990986
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Arts said:

I don’t know…. I can’t see that but.

Will the ones who failed get counciling?

Sometimes if they need it. See, even though people can still be emotionally fucked over, just like the ‘good old days’, we try to provide supports for those who seek it, so they will either try again or try another thing, instead of heading to depression, drug use or other antisocial behaviours.

So they become counsellors?

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:26:55
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1990987
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Peak Warming Man said:

dv said:

Surely Uranus needs a moon called Bottom

Where the hell did Shakespear get a name like that from.

Bit of a stealth pun. He gets turned into an ass.

Yeah, right.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:31:59
From: transition
ID: 1990988
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

must be must be nearly nearly time
time for’t rhyme I poems the
yeah be a goodnight a goodbye see
did done do alphabetly writly
word salad’s English vomit lines of’t

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:32:07
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990989
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

my brother John once had a shop called Bottom the Weaver.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:33:36
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990991
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Arts said:

I don’t know…. I can’t see that but.

Will the ones who failed get counciling?

Sometimes if they need it. See, even though people can still be emotionally fucked over, just like the ‘good old days’, we try to provide supports for those who seek it, so they will either try again or try another thing, instead of heading to depression, drug use or other antisocial behaviours.

In the good old days they’d drop out, smoke dope
sing songs of dissolution,
ban the bomb and beat pollution
write on walls about a revolution
that’s guaranteed to grow

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:34:22
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1990992
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

dv said:

Surely Uranus needs a moon called Bottom

Where the hell did Shakespear get a name like that from.

He visited Western Australia where we have spearmint as a milkshake flavour.

Fair enough then.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:34:27
From: party_pants
ID: 1990993
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Bubblecar said:

dv said:

I have to say I’m not a big fan of MAAN. Certainly prefer the tragedies.

Uranus needs a moon called Dogberry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogberry

Surely Uranus needs a moon called Bottom

Or two, called Rik and Adrian.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:35:30
From: dv
ID: 1990994
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


my brother John once had a shop called Bottom the Weaver.

and did you?

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:36:40
From: dv
ID: 1990995
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

While I’m out here I’ll sketch the moon.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:37:36
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1990996
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


sarahs mum said:

my brother John once had a shop called Bottom the Weaver.

and did you?

no.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:39:10
From: tauto
ID: 1990997
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Arts said:

I don’t know…. I can’t see that but.

Will the ones who failed get counciling?

Sometimes if they need it. See, even though people can still be emotionally fucked over, just like the ‘good old days’, we try to provide supports for those who seek it, so they will either try again or try another thing, instead of heading to depression, drug use or other antisocial behaviours.

—
You sound very jaundiced.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yKNxeF4KMsY

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:48:39
From: Kingy
ID: 1990998
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Arts said:

I don’t know…. I can’t see that but.

Will the ones who failed get counciling?

Sometimes if they need it. See, even though people can still be emotionally fucked over, just like the ‘good old days’, we try to provide supports for those who seek it, so they will either try again or try another thing, instead of heading to depression, drug use or other antisocial behaviours.

As it turns out, Ms Kingy and I are each others emotional support animals after our previous lives.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:50:40
From: dv
ID: 1990999
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I think the smallest lunar feature I can see is Sinus Medii, which is about 2 minutes of arc wide.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/02/2023 23:51:41
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991000
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I think the smallest lunar feature I can see is Sinus Medii, which is about 2 minutes of arc wide.

Patient work.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:07:02
From: Arts
ID: 1991004
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Arts said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Will the ones who failed get counciling?

Sometimes if they need it. See, even though people can still be emotionally fucked over, just like the ‘good old days’, we try to provide supports for those who seek it, so they will either try again or try another thing, instead of heading to depression, drug use or other antisocial behaviours.

In the good old days they’d drop out, smoke dope
sing songs of dissolution,
ban the bomb and beat pollution
write on walls about a revolution
that’s guaranteed to grow

maybe we just need to reintroduce the draft again…

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:08:44
From: Arts
ID: 1991006
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Arts said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Will the ones who failed get counciling?

Sometimes if they need it. See, even though people can still be emotionally fucked over, just like the ‘good old days’, we try to provide supports for those who seek it, so they will either try again or try another thing, instead of heading to depression, drug use or other antisocial behaviours.

As it turns out, Ms Kingy and I are each others emotional support animals after our previous lives.

she’s gotta be somewhat amazing :P

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:09:17
From: dv
ID: 1991007
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


dv said:

I think the smallest lunar feature I can see is Sinus Medii, which is about 2 minutes of arc wide.

Patient work.

Some people see a man in the moon but I just see the bunny.

For most of history, the moon was drawn as a plain disk or crescent, or sometimes with a human face. I think I mentioned that the first known drawing of the moon that shows its actual features was Crucifixion and Last Judgement diptych by van Eyck, mid 15th century.

This always struck me as very odd indeed. The moon has been such a big deal for humanity for millennia, culturally and practically. Why didn’t anyone draw or paint its features?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:10:45
From: Arts
ID: 1991010
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

oh for those who aren’t on Facebook.. (shebs) my coauthored chapter has finally been released…

if you want some light reading…

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-030-98711-4_16-1

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:11:22
From: Arts
ID: 1991011
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Bubblecar said:

dv said:

I think the smallest lunar feature I can see is Sinus Medii, which is about 2 minutes of arc wide.

Patient work.

Some people see a man in the moon but I just see the bunny.

For most of history, the moon was drawn as a plain disk or crescent, or sometimes with a human face. I think I mentioned that the first known drawing of the moon that shows its actual features was Crucifixion and Last Judgement diptych by van Eyck, mid 15th century.

This always struck me as very odd indeed. The moon has been such a big deal for humanity for millennia, culturally and practically. Why didn’t anyone draw or paint its features?

the flat moon society will get hold of it next

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:19:07
From: dv
ID: 1991015
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


oh for those who aren’t on Facebook.. (shebs) my coauthored chapter has finally been released…

if you want some light reading…

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-030-98711-4_16-1

Just tell us what parts you wrote

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:20:01
From: party_pants
ID: 1991016
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


dv said:

Bubblecar said:

Patient work.

Some people see a man in the moon but I just see the bunny.

For most of history, the moon was drawn as a plain disk or crescent, or sometimes with a human face. I think I mentioned that the first known drawing of the moon that shows its actual features was Crucifixion and Last Judgement diptych by van Eyck, mid 15th century.

This always struck me as very odd indeed. The moon has been such a big deal for humanity for millennia, culturally and practically. Why didn’t anyone draw or paint its features?

the flat moon society will get hold of it next

Congrats

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:22:13
From: Arts
ID: 1991017
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Arts said:

oh for those who aren’t on Facebook.. (shebs) my coauthored chapter has finally been released…

if you want some light reading…

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-030-98711-4_16-1

Just tell us what parts you wrote

you should read the whole thing…

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:26:11
From: sibeen
ID: 1991019
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


oh for those who aren’t on Facebook.. (shebs) my coauthored chapter has finally been released…

if you want some light reading…

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-030-98711-4_16-1

Yeah, that’s some bedtime reading :)

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:26:46
From: party_pants
ID: 1991020
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


oh for those who aren’t on Facebook.. (shebs) my coauthored chapter has finally been released…

if you want some light reading…

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-030-98711-4_16-1

congrats for this one too :)

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:28:11
From: Arts
ID: 1991021
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Arts said:

oh for those who aren’t on Facebook.. (shebs) my coauthored chapter has finally been released…

if you want some light reading…

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-030-98711-4_16-1

Yeah, that’s some bedtime reading :)

now you see why I come here for some light relief…

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:29:25
From: btm
ID: 1991022
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


oh for those who aren’t on Facebook.. (shebs) my coauthored chapter has finally been released…

if you want some light reading…

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-030-98711-4_16-1

Girly swot.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:34:01
From: dv
ID: 1991023
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


dv said:

Arts said:

oh for those who aren’t on Facebook.. (shebs) my coauthored chapter has finally been released…

if you want some light reading…

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-030-98711-4_16-1

Just tell us what parts you wrote

you should read the whole thing…

Very well then.

Congratulations btw 8^)

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:36:10
From: Arts
ID: 1991024
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Arts said:

oh for those who aren’t on Facebook.. (shebs) my coauthored chapter has finally been released…

if you want some light reading…

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-030-98711-4_16-1

congrats for this one too :)

thank you

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:36:19
From: Arts
ID: 1991026
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


Arts said:

oh for those who aren’t on Facebook.. (shebs) my coauthored chapter has finally been released…

if you want some light reading…

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-030-98711-4_16-1

Girly swot.

thank you

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:36:27
From: Arts
ID: 1991027
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Arts said:

dv said:

Just tell us what parts you wrote

you should read the whole thing…

Very well then.

Congratulations btw 8^)

thank you

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:40:40
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991029
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


dv said:

Arts said:

you should read the whole thing…

Very well then.

Congratulations btw 8^)

thank you

Congratulations are on order.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:43:11
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1991030
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Jupiter’s moon count jumps to 92, most in solar system

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:43:24
From: sibeen
ID: 1991031
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


Arts said:

oh for those who aren’t on Facebook.. (shebs) my coauthored chapter has finally been released…

if you want some light reading…

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-030-98711-4_16-1

Girly swot.

Damn, that’s my line.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:48:14
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1991032
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

NASA rover discovers a hefty meteorite on Mars

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 00:57:05
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991033
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


NASA rover discovers a hefty meteorite on Mars

Nice big lump of iron.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 01:19:54
From: Kingy
ID: 1991035
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RV9b6ZQBSw

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 01:32:11
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991036
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RV9b6ZQBSw

It’s quite relaxing to watch.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 01:33:46
From: btm
ID: 1991037
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The psychic I went to see yesterday was very fat. He was a four-chin teller.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 01:43:21
From: sibeen
ID: 1991038
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


The psychic I went to see yesterday was very fat. He was a four-chin teller.

Nup, cannot come up with a decent riposte to that.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 02:19:00
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991044
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The editorial in UK’s Motor Sport magazine, October 1939.


Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 05:48:13
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1991052
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

We Can Now Hear The ‘Sound’ of One of The Most Beautiful Stars

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 05:49:38
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1991053
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The first stars may have held up to 100,000 times the mass of the sun

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 06:14:24
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1991056
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Webb telescope’s new galactic picture is jaw-dropping

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 06:27:38
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991057
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning all.
Going to max out at 31 today and hovering just under 13 degrees at the moment.
Off to the dentist where no doubt he’ll peer into my maw and shake his head muttering tut tut.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 06:53:05
From: buffy
ID: 1991059
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 11 degrees and overcast. We are forecast a cloudy 23 degrees.

This is an interesting chart:

From:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-06/baby-boomers-generation-x-millennials-housing-interest-rate-rise/101929468

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 07:00:56
From: poikilotherm
ID: 1991060
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Good morning Holidayers. Presently 11 degrees and overcast. We are forecast a cloudy 23 degrees.

This is an interesting chart:

From:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-06/baby-boomers-generation-x-millennials-housing-interest-rate-rise/101929468

Wonder why they used median house prices and not median wages? It looks a lot worse when the median wage is used.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 07:31:13
From: buffy
ID: 1991062
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

poikilotherm said:


buffy said:

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 11 degrees and overcast. We are forecast a cloudy 23 degrees.

This is an interesting chart:

From:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-06/baby-boomers-generation-x-millennials-housing-interest-rate-rise/101929468

Wonder why they used median house prices and not median wages? It looks a lot worse when the median wage is used.

I reckon they have muddled it. The heading says median house prices, but in the body of the table it says average.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 07:34:06
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991063
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


poikilotherm said:

buffy said:

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 11 degrees and overcast. We are forecast a cloudy 23 degrees.

This is an interesting chart:

From:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-06/baby-boomers-generation-x-millennials-housing-interest-rate-rise/101929468

Wonder why they used median house prices and not median wages? It looks a lot worse when the median wage is used.

I reckon they have muddled it. The heading says median house prices, but in the body of the table it says average.

Wondered how long it would take you to notice that.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 07:34:28
From: buffy
ID: 1991064
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


oh for those who aren’t on Facebook.. (shebs) my coauthored chapter has finally been released…

if you want some light reading…

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-030-98711-4_16-1

Thanks…I think the abstract will be enough detail for me.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 07:48:35
From: buffy
ID: 1991067
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

poikilotherm said:

Wonder why they used median house prices and not median wages? It looks a lot worse when the median wage is used.

I reckon they have muddled it. The heading says median house prices, but in the body of the table it says average.

Wondered how long it would take you to notice that.

No, you didn’t.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 08:02:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991069
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

I reckon they have muddled it. The heading says median house prices, but in the body of the table it says average.

Wondered how long it would take you to notice that.

No, you didn’t.

How do you know?
You don’t so I wish you wouldn’t.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 08:49:05
From: buffy
ID: 1991073
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

roughbarked said:

Wondered how long it would take you to notice that.

No, you didn’t.

How do you know?
You don’t so I wish you wouldn’t.

I’ve been reading you long enough to know.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 08:51:14
From: transition
ID: 1991074
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

me could walkies
limbers up
make’t blood flow
I propels it
here body-vehicle
I animates
motivate ya know

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 08:51:46
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991075
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

No, you didn’t.

How do you know?
You don’t so I wish you wouldn’t.

I’ve been reading you long enough to know.

You only think you know what I haven’t said.
Because I was wondering without typing my wonderment, you cannot read my mind.
You can make up all sorts of bullshit you like but you aren’t a psychologist nor a mind reader.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 08:52:57
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991076
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


me could walkies
limbers up
make’t blood flow
I propels it
here body-vehicle
I animates
motivate ya know

Been there done all of that.
Off to have the dentist poke around in my mouth.
Then charge me north and south.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 08:54:39
From: buffy
ID: 1991077
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

roughbarked said:

How do you know?
You don’t so I wish you wouldn’t.

I’ve been reading you long enough to know.

You only think you know what I haven’t said.
Because I was wondering without typing my wonderment, you cannot read my mind.
You can make up all sorts of bullshit you like but you aren’t a psychologist nor a mind reader.

Talking of making up bullshit…have you been partaking?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 08:55:33
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991078
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

I’ve been reading you long enough to know.

You only think you know what I haven’t said.
Because I was wondering without typing my wonderment, you cannot read my mind.
You can make up all sorts of bullshit you like but you aren’t a psychologist nor a mind reader.

Talking of making up bullshit…have you been partaking?

I wish you’d stop that shit too. You don’t know and you are digging away at that hole.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 09:23:43
From: kii
ID: 1991082
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

I’ve been reading you long enough to know.

You only think you know what I haven’t said.
Because I was wondering without typing my wonderment, you cannot read my mind.
You can make up all sorts of bullshit you like but you aren’t a psychologist nor a mind reader.

Talking of making up bullshit…have you been partaking?

So what if he has?
Lololol…..@you both!

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 09:27:54
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991083
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/05/chile-wildfires-kill-at-least-23-people-as-state-of-emergency-extended-further

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 09:48:19
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991084
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Who was saying ,just yesterday, i think, that eastern Australia had had no cyclones so far this season?

ABC News:

‘Low pressure system off Queensland coast ‘could be cyclone by Wednesday’, BOM warns’

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-06/qld-bom-possible-cyclone-queensland-coast/101934334

When i read that Forum post, i thought, ‘uh-oh now you’ve done it…’

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 09:54:53
From: transition
ID: 1991085
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Who was saying ,just yesterday, i think, that eastern Australia had had no cyclones so far this season?

ABC News:

‘Low pressure system off Queensland coast ‘could be cyclone by Wednesday’, BOM warns’

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-06/qld-bom-possible-cyclone-queensland-coast/101934334

When i read that Forum post, i thought, ‘uh-oh now you’ve done it…’

blame PWM

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 10:02:15
From: Tamb
ID: 1991087
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


captain_spalding said:

Who was saying ,just yesterday, i think, that eastern Australia had had no cyclones so far this season?

ABC News:

‘Low pressure system off Queensland coast ‘could be cyclone by Wednesday’, BOM warns’

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-06/qld-bom-possible-cyclone-queensland-coast/101934334

When i read that Forum post, i thought, ‘uh-oh now you’ve done it…’

blame PWM

No. It’s my fault. Picked up my repaired genset yesterday.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 10:30:38
From: transition
ID: 1991089
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


transition said:

captain_spalding said:

Who was saying ,just yesterday, i think, that eastern Australia had had no cyclones so far this season?

ABC News:

‘Low pressure system off Queensland coast ‘could be cyclone by Wednesday’, BOM warns’

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-06/qld-bom-possible-cyclone-queensland-coast/101934334

When i read that Forum post, i thought, ‘uh-oh now you’ve done it…’

blame PWM

No. It’s my fault. Picked up my repaired genset yesterday.

tamb then, pissed off the gods by anticipating their work, the arrogance

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 10:39:59
From: Tamb
ID: 1991092
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Tamb said:

transition said:

blame PWM

No. It’s my fault. Picked up my repaired genset yesterday.

tamb then, pissed off the gods by anticipating their work, the arrogance


They shouldn’t have broken it.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 10:41:04
From: Michael V
ID: 1991094
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.sciencealert.com/it-took-doctors-2-years-to-figure-out-why-a-woman-couldnt-stop-vomiting

cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 11:00:41
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991095
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning punters and correctors.
It’s sunny and clear in the Pearl.
Today I’d better pay some pressing bills and then……..umm……………..might have lunch at Bunnings.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 11:18:36
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991096
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“Thousands of people gathered in Copenhagen on Sunday to protest a bill put forward by the government to a scrap a public holiday to help finance increased defence spending.
The demonstration was organised by the country’s biggest labour unions which oppose abolishing the Great Prayer Day, a Christian holiday that falls on the fourth Friday after Easter and dates back to 1686. “

Scrapping a Christain holiday to save money to buy weapons!!
I don’t think the lad from Bethlehem would approve.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 11:30:24
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991097
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


“Thousands of people gathered in Copenhagen on Sunday to protest a bill put forward by the government to a scrap a public holiday to help finance increased defence spending.
The demonstration was organised by the country’s biggest labour unions which oppose abolishing the Great Prayer Day, a Christian holiday that falls on the fourth Friday after Easter and dates back to 1686. “

Scrapping a Christain holiday to save money to buy weapons!!
I don’t think the lad from Bethlehem would approve.

Danes are possibly the most holiday-minded people on the planet. Any excuse will do.

A Danish bloke once mentioned about how Danes will quite regularly ask their boss if they can knock off at say 2:30pm on a Friday because they want to get to their holiday house for bthe weekend.

Even though the whole country is about as big as six phone boxes shunted together, and the drive to the holiday house takes about 40 mins.

And the boss will almost certainly say ‘yes’.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 11:35:11
From: Tamb
ID: 1991098
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Peak Warming Man said:

“Thousands of people gathered in Copenhagen on Sunday to protest a bill put forward by the government to a scrap a public holiday to help finance increased defence spending.
The demonstration was organised by the country’s biggest labour unions which oppose abolishing the Great Prayer Day, a Christian holiday that falls on the fourth Friday after Easter and dates back to 1686. “

Scrapping a Christain holiday to save money to buy weapons!!
I don’t think the lad from Bethlehem would approve.

Danes are possibly the most holiday-minded people on the planet. Any excuse will do.

A Danish bloke once mentioned about how Danes will quite regularly ask their boss if they can knock off at say 2:30pm on a Friday because they want to get to their holiday house for bthe weekend.

Even though the whole country is about as big as six phone boxes shunted together, and the drive to the holiday house takes about 40 mins.

And the boss will almost certainly say ‘yes’.


We do OK on that score too. Moving public holidays around to make a long weekend.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 11:42:19
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1991102
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:

captain_spalding said:

Peak Warming Man said:

“Thousands of people gathered in Copenhagen on Sunday to protest a bill put forward by the government to a scrap a public holiday to help finance increased defence spending.
The demonstration was organised by the country’s biggest labour unions which oppose abolishing the Great Prayer Day, a Christian holiday that falls on the fourth Friday after Easter and dates back to 1686. “

Scrapping a Christain holiday to save money to buy weapons!!
I don’t think the lad from Bethlehem would approve.

Danes are possibly the most holiday-minded people on the planet. Any excuse will do.

A Danish bloke once mentioned about how Danes will quite regularly ask their boss if they can knock off at say 2:30pm on a Friday because they want to get to their holiday house for bthe weekend.

Even though the whole country is about as big as six phone boxes shunted together, and the drive to the holiday house takes about 40 mins.

And the boss will almost certainly say ‘yes’.

We do OK on that score too. Moving public holidays around to make a long weekend.

imagine flexible working arrangements so they don’t even need to drive anywhere or consider a regular 7-day cycle of weekends

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 11:43:55
From: Tamb
ID: 1991103
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

Tamb said:

captain_spalding said:

Danes are possibly the most holiday-minded people on the planet. Any excuse will do.

A Danish bloke once mentioned about how Danes will quite regularly ask their boss if they can knock off at say 2:30pm on a Friday because they want to get to their holiday house for bthe weekend.

Even though the whole country is about as big as six phone boxes shunted together, and the drive to the holiday house takes about 40 mins.

And the boss will almost certainly say ‘yes’.

We do OK on that score too. Moving public holidays around to make a long weekend.

imagine flexible working arrangements so they don’t even need to drive anywhere or consider a regular 7-day cycle of weekends


If you add 9 day fortnights into the mix you can go close to that.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 11:46:57
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991105
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

Tamb said:

captain_spalding said:

Danes are possibly the most holiday-minded people on the planet. Any excuse will do.

A Danish bloke once mentioned about how Danes will quite regularly ask their boss if they can knock off at say 2:30pm on a Friday because they want to get to their holiday house for bthe weekend.

Even though the whole country is about as big as six phone boxes shunted together, and the drive to the holiday house takes about 40 mins.

And the boss will almost certainly say ‘yes’.

We do OK on that score too. Moving public holidays around to make a long weekend.

imagine flexible working arrangements so they don’t even need to drive anywhere or consider a regular 7-day cycle of weekends

That would work well for the Danes who knock off early so they can go to their holiday houses. Which some of them actually do from time to time, apparently.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 11:49:10
From: Tamb
ID: 1991106
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


SCIENCE said:

Tamb said:

We do OK on that score too. Moving public holidays around to make a long weekend.

imagine flexible working arrangements so they don’t even need to drive anywhere or consider a regular 7-day cycle of weekends

That would work well for the Danes who knock off early so they can go to their holiday houses. Which some of them actually do from time to time, apparently.


And now they have an Aussie for a Princess they can only improve.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 11:53:03
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991107
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“In the country’s northeast, the summit of Mount Washington in New Hampshire recorded a record windchill of minus 77 degrees Celsius over the weekend.”

I remember running into a Queenslander in New Hampshire one winter.
He was in winter national dress of shorts, thongs and a woollen singlet, he was flapping his arms around saying jazus it’s bloody cold.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 11:57:17
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991108
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


“In the country’s northeast, the summit of Mount Washington in New Hampshire recorded a record windchill of minus 77 degrees Celsius over the weekend.”

I remember running into a Queenslander in New Hampshire one winter.
He was in winter national dress of shorts, thongs and a woollen singlet, he was flapping his arms around saying jazus it’s bloody cold.

You can’t fool us Queenslanders, we’re an observant lot.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 11:58:22
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991109
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News:

‘Man selling phone allegedly stabbed by prospective buyer
A 35-year-old Adelaide man has been taken to hospital after he was allegedly stabbed by a prospective buyer who came to his home to purchase a mobile phone.’

‘Stabbing’ seems to be very much the ‘in’ thing for SA/Adelaide this year.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 11:58:44
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991110
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ABC News:

‘Man selling phone allegedly stabbed by prospective buyer
A 35-year-old Adelaide man has been taken to hospital after he was allegedly stabbed by a prospective buyer who came to his home to purchase a mobile phone.’

‘Stabbing’ seems to be very much the ‘in’ thing for SA/Adelaide this year.

Actually, for the country in general.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 12:13:29
From: transition
ID: 1991113
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’s chops the dead wood out of the white cedars, got damaged those five or so dry years previous, gots to some of them bit slow during heatwaves, anyway prunes them and gives a good drink, few more be pulled out eventually

not that matters there be lot of them, most are in good health, cactus and all else well-established now also

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 12:22:50
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991116
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


I’s chops the dead wood out of the white cedars, got damaged those five or so dry years previous, gots to some of them bit slow during heatwaves, anyway prunes them and gives a good drink, few more be pulled out eventually

not that matters there be lot of them, most are in good health, cactus and all else well-established now also

What do you call white cedars?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 12:25:18
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991117
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


transition said:

I’s chops the dead wood out of the white cedars, got damaged those five or so dry years previous, gots to some of them bit slow during heatwaves, anyway prunes them and gives a good drink, few more be pulled out eventually

not that matters there be lot of them, most are in good health, cactus and all else well-established now also

What do you call white cedars?

“This Australian native tree is one of the very few that are deciduous, making it an ideal choice for winter light and summer shade. It makes an impressive umbrella-shaped shade tree with distinctive ridged bark, twisting over time, and mauve and white fragrant flowers in autumn. Ornamental yellow fruit, produced in profusion, hang decoratively from branches throughout winter. An adaptable tree, tolerant of a wide range of conditions from waterlogging to drought. Caution: fruit is toxic. Fast growth rate.”

Got it, rhought it might have been a nick name etc.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 12:26:53
From: Michael V
ID: 1991118
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


transition said:

I’s chops the dead wood out of the white cedars, got damaged those five or so dry years previous, gots to some of them bit slow during heatwaves, anyway prunes them and gives a good drink, few more be pulled out eventually

not that matters there be lot of them, most are in good health, cactus and all else well-established now also

What do you call white cedars?

I would imagine Melia azedarach.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 12:30:05
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991119
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Peak Warming Man said:

transition said:

I’s chops the dead wood out of the white cedars, got damaged those five or so dry years previous, gots to some of them bit slow during heatwaves, anyway prunes them and gives a good drink, few more be pulled out eventually

not that matters there be lot of them, most are in good health, cactus and all else well-established now also

What do you call white cedars?

“This Australian native tree is one of the very few that are deciduous, making it an ideal choice for winter light and summer shade. It makes an impressive umbrella-shaped shade tree with distinctive ridged bark, twisting over time, and mauve and white fragrant flowers in autumn. Ornamental yellow fruit, produced in profusion, hang decoratively from branches throughout winter. An adaptable tree, tolerant of a wide range of conditions from waterlogging to drought. Caution: fruit is toxic. Fast growth rate.”

Got it, rhought it might have been a nick name etc.

“Is Australian white cedar poisonous?
I
Symptoms: All parts of the plant are poisonous, although it is the fruits that are usually eaten. Symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, confusion, coma, seizures, and death.”

Oooh

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 12:37:48
From: transition
ID: 1991122
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Peak Warming Man said:

What do you call white cedars?

“This Australian native tree is one of the very few that are deciduous, making it an ideal choice for winter light and summer shade. It makes an impressive umbrella-shaped shade tree with distinctive ridged bark, twisting over time, and mauve and white fragrant flowers in autumn. Ornamental yellow fruit, produced in profusion, hang decoratively from branches throughout winter. An adaptable tree, tolerant of a wide range of conditions from waterlogging to drought. Caution: fruit is toxic. Fast growth rate.”

Got it, rhought it might have been a nick name etc.

“Is Australian white cedar poisonous?
I
Symptoms: All parts of the plant are poisonous, although it is the fruits that are usually eaten. Symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, confusion, coma, seizures, and death.”

Oooh

missy sheep likes the bark, and doesn’t mind some dry fruit, never killed her

but nah I won’t be putting them on the table for dinner

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 13:21:10
From: transition
ID: 1991131
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

smell of chlorine momentarily, dropped some bleach in vap coolers, flushed pads while, clean the bleeders out

just use bic biro outers for bleeders, little side-hole drilled out bit bigger, point it into a potplant outside the door

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:02:19
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991137
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Samantha Whinger has served court papers to Prince Ginger and Meghan Whinger, calling on the couple to testify separately under oath in her defamation lawsuit against her half sister.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:10:27
From: transition
ID: 1991138
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I looks along treeline out back, sees gordon and other birds, then sees two gordons, then three, then four, five, starts use other hand of fingers gets nine, yes nine gordons

must a be a good day when sees nine gordons

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:11:55
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991139
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


I looks along treeline out back, sees gordon and other birds, then sees two gordons, then three, then four, five, starts use other hand of fingers gets nine, yes nine gordons

must a be a good day when sees nine gordons

Maybe one of them is a Trevor, just saying.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:12:27
From: sibeen
ID: 1991140
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Samantha Whinger has served court papers to Prince Ginger and Meghan Whinger, calling on the couple to testify separately under oath in her defamation lawsuit against her half sister.

Yeah, no idea.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:14:27
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991141
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Samantha Whinger has served court papers to Prince Ginger and Meghan Whinger, calling on the couple to testify separately under oath in her defamation lawsuit against her half sister.

Yeah, no idea.

It was in The Mirror.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:17:32
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991142
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Been having some white peaches from Coles lately, they are excellent, dunno where they were grown.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:19:38
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1991143
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/05/chile-wildfires-kill-at-least-23-people-as-state-of-emergency-extended-further

I think nature has had enough of us.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:19:53
From: transition
ID: 1991144
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


transition said:

I looks along treeline out back, sees gordon and other birds, then sees two gordons, then three, then four, five, starts use other hand of fingers gets nine, yes nine gordons

must a be a good day when sees nine gordons

Maybe one of them is a Trevor, just saying.

there ya go, airborne

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:23:44
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991146
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


transition said:

I’s chops the dead wood out of the white cedars, got damaged those five or so dry years previous, gots to some of them bit slow during heatwaves, anyway prunes them and gives a good drink, few more be pulled out eventually

not that matters there be lot of them, most are in good health, cactus and all else well-established now also

What do you call white cedars?

Melia azaradach.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:23:46
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991147
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


sarahs mum said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/05/chile-wildfires-kill-at-least-23-people-as-state-of-emergency-extended-further

I think nature has had enough of us.

betcha they are ready for el nino to start up again.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:24:06
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991148
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Peak Warming Man said:

transition said:

I’s chops the dead wood out of the white cedars, got damaged those five or so dry years previous, gots to some of them bit slow during heatwaves, anyway prunes them and gives a good drink, few more be pulled out eventually

not that matters there be lot of them, most are in good health, cactus and all else well-established now also

What do you call white cedars?

“This Australian native tree is one of the very few that are deciduous, making it an ideal choice for winter light and summer shade. It makes an impressive umbrella-shaped shade tree with distinctive ridged bark, twisting over time, and mauve and white fragrant flowers in autumn. Ornamental yellow fruit, produced in profusion, hang decoratively from branches throughout winter. An adaptable tree, tolerant of a wide range of conditions from waterlogging to drought. Caution: fruit is toxic. Fast growth rate.”

Got it, rhought it might have been a nick name etc.

It is. It isn’t a cedar.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:25:29
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991149
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Peak Warming Man said:

What do you call white cedars?

“This Australian native tree is one of the very few that are deciduous, making it an ideal choice for winter light and summer shade. It makes an impressive umbrella-shaped shade tree with distinctive ridged bark, twisting over time, and mauve and white fragrant flowers in autumn. Ornamental yellow fruit, produced in profusion, hang decoratively from branches throughout winter. An adaptable tree, tolerant of a wide range of conditions from waterlogging to drought. Caution: fruit is toxic. Fast growth rate.”

Got it, rhought it might have been a nick name etc.

“Is Australian white cedar poisonous?
I
Symptoms: All parts of the plant are poisonous, although it is the fruits that are usually eaten. Symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, confusion, coma, seizures, and death.”

Oooh

The hairy grubs.. Processional caterpillars, think they are delish. Which adds another unsavoury aspect towards them not being a favourable shade tree.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:26:28
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991150
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


I looks along treeline out back, sees gordon and other birds, then sees two gordons, then three, then four, five, starts use other hand of fingers gets nine, yes nine gordons

must a be a good day when sees nine gordons

Gordon being?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:27:07
From: transition
ID: 1991151
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


transition said:

I looks along treeline out back, sees gordon and other birds, then sees two gordons, then three, then four, five, starts use other hand of fingers gets nine, yes nine gordons

must a be a good day when sees nine gordons

Gordon being?

herons

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:28:05
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991152
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


roughbarked said:

transition said:

I looks along treeline out back, sees gordon and other birds, then sees two gordons, then three, then four, five, starts use other hand of fingers gets nine, yes nine gordons

must a be a good day when sees nine gordons

Gordon being?

herons

:) So where did gordon come in? I would have called them Blue or old whiteface.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:28:57
From: Michael V
ID: 1991153
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Samantha Whinger has served court papers to Prince Ginger and Meghan Whinger, calling on the couple to testify separately under oath in her defamation lawsuit against her half sister.

So they are both from dysfunctional families?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:29:20
From: transition
ID: 1991154
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


transition said:

roughbarked said:

Gordon being?

herons

:) So where did gordon come in? I would have called them Blue or old whiteface.

daughter named it

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:29:55
From: Michael V
ID: 1991155
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


I looks along treeline out back, sees gordon and other birds, then sees two gordons, then three, then four, five, starts use other hand of fingers gets nine, yes nine gordons

must a be a good day when sees nine gordons

What type of bird is a gordon?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:30:59
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991156
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Many feared dead after magnitude-7.8 quake destroys buildings in Türkiye.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:31:42
From: transition
ID: 1991157
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


transition said:

I looks along treeline out back, sees gordon and other birds, then sees two gordons, then three, then four, five, starts use other hand of fingers gets nine, yes nine gordons

must a be a good day when sees nine gordons

What type of bird is a gordon?

white-faced herons

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:32:02
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991158
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


roughbarked said:

transition said:

herons

:) So where did gordon come in? I would have called them Blue or old whiteface.

daughter named it

fairynuff. I still call a screwdriver a doodiver after hearing what wife’s sister called it when she was an anklebiter.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:32:24
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991159
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


transition said:

I looks along treeline out back, sees gordon and other birds, then sees two gordons, then three, then four, five, starts use other hand of fingers gets nine, yes nine gordons

must a be a good day when sees nine gordons

What type of bird is a gordon?

Looks like a white faced heron.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:33:32
From: Michael V
ID: 1991160
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Michael V said:

transition said:

I looks along treeline out back, sees gordon and other birds, then sees two gordons, then three, then four, five, starts use other hand of fingers gets nine, yes nine gordons

must a be a good day when sees nine gordons

What type of bird is a gordon?

white-faced herons

Cheers. I’ve never heard them called that before.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:36:00
From: transition
ID: 1991161
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


transition said:

Michael V said:

What type of bird is a gordon?

white-faced herons

Cheers. I’ve never heard them called that before.

oh’s idiomatic imitation toddler vernacular for humorous regression

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:42:25
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991163
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


transition said:

Michael V said:

What type of bird is a gordon?

white-faced herons

Cheers. I’ve never heard them called that before.

They get called blue herons by a lot of people.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:43:20
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991164
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

transition said:

I’s chops the dead wood out of the white cedars, got damaged those five or so dry years previous, gots to some of them bit slow during heatwaves, anyway prunes them and gives a good drink, few more be pulled out eventually

not that matters there be lot of them, most are in good health, cactus and all else well-established now also

What do you call white cedars?

Melia azaradach.

It doesn’t matter what you call them, they never come when you call.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:43:55
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991165
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

shakes fist at Optus
I wanted to do some online transactions today but at that speed it would probably fall over half way through.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:48:07
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991166
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

On Saturday when going up the range at an 80kph section came round a corner doing 90kph, there was a cop with a speed gun pointed right at me.
I’m expecting a bluey in the mail soon.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:52:01
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991167
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


On Saturday when going up the range at an 80kph section came round a corner doing 90kph, there was a cop with a speed gun pointed right at me.
I’m expecting a bluey in the mail soon.

Going uphill, more likely than coming down. ;)

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:53:02
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991168
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

What do you call white cedars?

Melia azaradach.

It doesn’t matter what you call them, they never come when you call.

The Beachcomber confessed that he called them lilac or something like that because when the smell came on in flowering they came to you.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 14:54:16
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991169
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


On Saturday when going up the range at an 80kph section came round a corner doing 90kph, there was a cop with a speed gun pointed right at me.
I’m expecting a bluey in the mail soon.

That’ll be nice.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 15:03:32
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991170
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

It’s no good, I’ve got to call Mr Tunks and find out what’s going on.

That grass gets any longer, the council will have me arrested.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 15:06:54
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991171
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


It’s no good, I’ve got to call Mr Tunks and find out what’s going on.

That grass gets any longer, the council will have me arrested.

…and as I suspected, sad news :(

He hasn’t been here ‘cos his partner died last week. She had been ill for a long time.

Anyway he says he’ll get here when he can, probably later in the week.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 15:13:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991172
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


It’s no good, I’ve got to call Mr Tunks and find out what’s going on.

That grass gets any longer, the council will have me arrested.

Did you actually see him leave last time he was there? Haven’t smelled anything peculiar of late?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 15:13:53
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991173
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

It’s no good, I’ve got to call Mr Tunks and find out what’s going on.

That grass gets any longer, the council will have me arrested.

…and as I suspected, sad news :(

He hasn’t been here ‘cos his partner died last week. She had been ill for a long time.

Anyway he says he’ll get here when he can, probably later in the week.

Poor bugger will have big jobs to do everywhere.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 15:24:52
From: transition
ID: 1991174
Subject: re: Chat February 2023


there’s one of, keeping lookout over dam, others still back on scrubline

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 15:27:21
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991175
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:



there’s one of, keeping lookout over dam, others still back on scrubline

I love them. I did a couple of manipulations of blue heron images way back.. I’ll have to see if I can find them but they are all on old computer and old CD’s.. .

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 15:35:51
From: Michael V
ID: 1991176
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


On Saturday when going up the range at an 80kph section came round a corner doing 90kph, there was a cop with a speed gun pointed right at me.
I’m expecting a bluey in the mail soon.

Ooh-ah.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 15:36:57
From: Michael V
ID: 1991178
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

It’s no good, I’ve got to call Mr Tunks and find out what’s going on.

That grass gets any longer, the council will have me arrested.

…and as I suspected, sad news :(

He hasn’t been here ‘cos his partner died last week. She had been ill for a long time.

Anyway he says he’ll get here when he can, probably later in the week.

Oh.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 15:37:09
From: buffy
ID: 1991179
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Been having some white peaches from Coles lately, they are excellent, dunno where they were grown.

It’s probably written on the box you got them from in the supermarket.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 15:39:08
From: Michael V
ID: 1991180
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


buffy said:

buffy said:

I haven’t. Although I just noticed when we et the chicken that the salt level has fallen. So it will need a bit more soy put in. I’ll do that now (as you reminded me of it) before I refreeze the stock.

Oh, and I have used it for meat other than chicken, but you know, I can’t remember what. Probably pork fillet or something.

And, I think I like the chicken better cold than warm as suggested in the recipe. When we eat the cold bits tomorrow or Sunday I’ll try to remember to report on that.

So, is the red-cooked chicken better cold or hot?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 15:42:25
From: buffy
ID: 1991181
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


It’s no good, I’ve got to call Mr Tunks and find out what’s going on.

That grass gets any longer, the council will have me arrested.

Around here the Country Fire Authority sends you a cleanup notice. And if you don’t clean up, someone comes and does it and you get the bill. We suspect our Next Door (not Auntie Annie) got one. Cleaning up is going on in there. It’s a rare occurrence.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 15:43:51
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991182
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Been having some white peaches from Coles lately, they are excellent, dunno where they were grown.

It’s probably written on the box you got them from in the supermarket.

These days they only say white or yellow peach.

They are most often known by numbers these days. Row #12 tree # 486. This is oft how the nurseries get new variety budwood.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 15:44:33
From: buffy
ID: 1991183
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

buffy said:

Oh, and I have used it for meat other than chicken, but you know, I can’t remember what. Probably pork fillet or something.

And, I think I like the chicken better cold than warm as suggested in the recipe. When we eat the cold bits tomorrow or Sunday I’ll try to remember to report on that.

So, is the red-cooked chicken better cold or hot?

Not hugely different, I like it both hot and cold, but I think cold wins. It’s good for a picnic, done with drumsticks.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 15:47:05
From: buffy
ID: 1991184
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Been having some white peaches from Coles lately, they are excellent, dunno where they were grown.

It’s probably written on the box you got them from in the supermarket.

These days they only say white or yellow peach.

They are most often known by numbers these days. Row #12 tree # 486. This is oft how the nurseries get new variety budwood.

The boxes I’ve seen have the growers name and place on them. For cherries, plums, other stone fruit. Pineapples have their grower on the tag stuck on with Impossible Gunk. Broccoli etc is taken out of the boxes, so you can’t check them, same with bananas. Unless you are there and chatting with the shelf fillers. As I go shopping early, I often am there at the same time as them.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 15:53:30
From: buffy
ID: 1991185
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

This is my understanding of trans. As I’ve mentioned here before, I know of another couple who did this, but a lot further back in time, in the 1980s. It was a very difficult thing to do then.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-06/transwoman-kate-toyer-advocates-for-greater-diversity-among-vets/101914704

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 15:54:12
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991186
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

It’s probably written on the box you got them from in the supermarket.

These days they only say white or yellow peach.

They are most often known by numbers these days. Row #12 tree # 486. This is oft how the nurseries get new variety budwood.

The boxes I’ve seen have the growers name and place on them. For cherries, plums, other stone fruit. Pineapples have their grower on the tag stuck on with Impossible Gunk. Broccoli etc is taken out of the boxes, so you can’t check them, same with bananas. Unless you are there and chatting with the shelf fillers. As I go shopping early, I often am there at the same time as them.

Of white peaches, the old names, you don’t see them any more unless you have an old tree about. The fruit would have the five prints of fingers and thumb from where you picked the peach, bruises within a couple of hours of being picked. They were peaches you had to drink off the tree.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 15:56:59
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991187
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Bubblecar said:

It’s no good, I’ve got to call Mr Tunks and find out what’s going on.

That grass gets any longer, the council will have me arrested.

Around here the Country Fire Authority sends you a cleanup notice. And if you don’t clean up, someone comes and does it and you get the bill. We suspect our Next Door (not Auntie Annie) got one. Cleaning up is going on in there. It’s a rare occurrence.

Do you think that someone may have informed on them to the CFA?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 16:02:48
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991188
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


buffy said:

Bubblecar said:

It’s no good, I’ve got to call Mr Tunks and find out what’s going on.

That grass gets any longer, the council will have me arrested.

Around here the Country Fire Authority sends you a cleanup notice. And if you don’t clean up, someone comes and does it and you get the bill. We suspect our Next Door (not Auntie Annie) got one. Cleaning up is going on in there. It’s a rare occurrence.

Do you think that someone may have informed on them to the CFA?

No. They do their own inspections.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 16:07:47
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991189
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

Around here the Country Fire Authority sends you a cleanup notice. And if you don’t clean up, someone comes and does it and you get the bill. We suspect our Next Door (not Auntie Annie) got one. Cleaning up is going on in there. It’s a rare occurrence.

Do you think that someone may have informed on them to the CFA?

No. They do their own inspections.

That would be a crazy waste of resources, I’m sure they rely on public complaints.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 16:44:54
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991190
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Peak Warming Man said:

transition said:

I looks along treeline out back, sees gordon and other birds, then sees two gordons, then three, then four, five, starts use other hand of fingers gets nine, yes nine gordons

must a be a good day when sees nine gordons

Maybe one of them is a Trevor, just saying.

there ya go, airborne

Fine group of gordons. Squadron is probably the correct term.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 16:47:14
From: btm
ID: 1991191
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


transition said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Maybe one of them is a Trevor, just saying.

there ya go, airborne

Fine group of gordons. Squadron is probably the correct term.

They look like they’re dancing, which would make them happy.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 16:51:07
From: Michael V
ID: 1991192
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Michael V said:

buffy said:

And, I think I like the chicken better cold than warm as suggested in the recipe. When we eat the cold bits tomorrow or Sunday I’ll try to remember to report on that.

So, is the red-cooked chicken better cold or hot?

Not hugely different, I like it both hot and cold, but I think cold wins. It’s good for a picnic, done with drumsticks.

Thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 16:52:22
From: buffy
ID: 1991193
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


buffy said:

Bubblecar said:

It’s no good, I’ve got to call Mr Tunks and find out what’s going on.

That grass gets any longer, the council will have me arrested.

Around here the Country Fire Authority sends you a cleanup notice. And if you don’t clean up, someone comes and does it and you get the bill. We suspect our Next Door (not Auntie Annie) got one. Cleaning up is going on in there. It’s a rare occurrence.

Do you think that someone may have informed on them to the CFA?

Not us, although we were sorely tempted. Mr buffy “accidentally” oversprays with the Roundup along the fenceline periodically to keep the grass back from the shared fence.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 16:54:39
From: buffy
ID: 1991194
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

roughbarked said:

These days they only say white or yellow peach.

They are most often known by numbers these days. Row #12 tree # 486. This is oft how the nurseries get new variety budwood.

The boxes I’ve seen have the growers name and place on them. For cherries, plums, other stone fruit. Pineapples have their grower on the tag stuck on with Impossible Gunk. Broccoli etc is taken out of the boxes, so you can’t check them, same with bananas. Unless you are there and chatting with the shelf fillers. As I go shopping early, I often am there at the same time as them.

Of white peaches, the old names, you don’t see them any more unless you have an old tree about. The fruit would have the five prints of fingers and thumb from where you picked the peach, bruises within a couple of hours of being picked. They were peaches you had to drink off the tree.

PWM mentioned that he didn’t know where they were grown. I don’t think the variety was under discussion. My white peaches are almost ready. Usually second week of February, as with the white nectarines.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 16:56:00
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991195
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

The boxes I’ve seen have the growers name and place on them. For cherries, plums, other stone fruit. Pineapples have their grower on the tag stuck on with Impossible Gunk. Broccoli etc is taken out of the boxes, so you can’t check them, same with bananas. Unless you are there and chatting with the shelf fillers. As I go shopping early, I often am there at the same time as them.

Of white peaches, the old names, you don’t see them any more unless you have an old tree about. The fruit would have the five prints of fingers and thumb from where you picked the peach, bruises within a couple of hours of being picked. They were peaches you had to drink off the tree.

PWM mentioned that he didn’t know where they were grown. I don’t think the variety was under discussion. My white peaches are almost ready. Usually second week of February, as with the white nectarines.

At the moment, they are coming from the unflooded peach orchards.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 17:15:53
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991196
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News:

‘Woman charged with attempted murder after stabbing in Brisbane
A 44-year-old woman is charged with attempted murder in relation to an alleged domestic violence incident in Brisbane’s north last week. ‘

Stabbing, it’s what all the cool folks are doing this season.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 17:16:14
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991197
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

1931, the days when Qantas sold goggles.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 17:21:47
From: buffy
ID: 1991198
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m onto my third blood plum for today. I think I need to limit myself a bit. Moving into my fruit eating time of year (plums, then peaches and nectarines, then various apples) I may have to pace myself a bit. So far three days of three plums a day hasn’t caused any problems.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 17:24:14
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991199
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I’m onto my third blood plum for today. I think I need to limit myself a bit. Moving into my fruit eating time of year (plums, then peaches and nectarines, then various apples) I may have to pace myself a bit. So far three days of three plums a day hasn’t caused any problems.

Too many plums in one sitting and they’re anxious to be free again.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 17:25:23
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991200
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A Bently won the Bathurst 12 hour, I say.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 17:27:00
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991201
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


1931, the days when Qantas sold goggles.


I’d wear those when driving my Bently.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 17:32:48
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991202
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

1931, the days when Qantas sold goggles.


I’d wear those when driving my Bently.

Proper Bentley, 1930.

Airfix based their famous 1/12 plastic kit on this model.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 17:55:33
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991203
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Praise the Lord
https://youtu.be/FFiU5VVU9XU
A river being born again.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 17:59:08
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991204
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Praise the Lord
https://youtu.be/FFiU5VVU9XU
A river being born again.

It’s a fine sight. I wouldn’t drink it though.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 18:06:24
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991205
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Praise the Lord
https://youtu.be/FFiU5VVU9XU
A river being born again.

It’s a fine sight. I wouldn’t drink it though.

I’ve seen men crazy with thirst, laughing and crying hysterically as they dive into it, drinking the sticks and the froth.
Well not actually seen them but seen them in movies that are based on fact.
Great and terrible thing.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 18:18:07
From: sibeen
ID: 1991206
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Praise the Lord
https://youtu.be/FFiU5VVU9XU
A river being born again.

That was 9 months ago. It’s probably as dry as a pommie’s bathmat now.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 18:18:14
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991207
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Praise the Lord
https://youtu.be/FFiU5VVU9XU
A river being born again.

It’s a fine sight. I wouldn’t drink it though.

I’ve seen men crazy with thirst, laughing and crying hysterically as they dive into it, drinking the sticks and the froth.
Well not actually seen them but seen them in movies that are based on fact.
Great and terrible thing.

I’d likely strain it and boil it first.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 18:22:28
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991208
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Praise the Lord
https://youtu.be/FFiU5VVU9XU
A river being born again.

That was 9 months ago. It’s probably as dry as a pommie’s bathmat now.

lol

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 18:23:38
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991209
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Praise the Lord
https://youtu.be/FFiU5VVU9XU
A river being born again.

That was 9 months ago. It’s probably as dry as a pommie’s bathmat now.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 18:26:17
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991210
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Bubblecar said:

It’s a fine sight. I wouldn’t drink it though.

I’ve seen men crazy with thirst, laughing and crying hysterically as they dive into it, drinking the sticks and the froth.
Well not actually seen them but seen them in movies that are based on fact.
Great and terrible thing.

I’d likely strain it and boil it first.

When you’re dying of thirst every second is vital.
The strainers and the boilers are dead, all dead Jim.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 18:35:33
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1991211
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

there is a little town in central Queensland called Mercy. they have a speciality tea. Made from koalas. They leave the fur on for some reason. they won’t strain it for you. They reckon that the koala tea of mercy is not strained.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 18:38:10
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991212
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


there is a little town in central Queensland called Mercy. they have a speciality tea. Made from koalas. They leave the fur on for some reason. they won’t strain it for you. They reckon that the koala tea of mercy is not strained.

Keep working for as long as you can.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 18:39:19
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1991213
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


JudgeMental said:

there is a little town in central Queensland called Mercy. they have a speciality tea. Made from koalas. They leave the fur on for some reason. they won’t strain it for you. They reckon that the koala tea of mercy is not strained.

Keep working for as long as you can.

I’m retired. I have time on my hands. and on my face.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 18:41:59
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991214
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Peak Warming Man said:

JudgeMental said:

there is a little town in central Queensland called Mercy. they have a speciality tea. Made from koalas. They leave the fur on for some reason. they won’t strain it for you. They reckon that the koala tea of mercy is not strained.

Keep working for as long as you can.

I’m retired. I have time on my hands. and on my face.

That’s quite good.
I’ll use that one, without attribution.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 18:42:30
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991215
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Man attempts trip to Sydney, Australia – and ends up in Sidney, Montana

‘I saw a mountaintop covered in white snow. At that point, I knew I was in trouble,’ says Kingsley Burnett, who mixed up airport codes

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/feb/03/sydney-australia-montana-flight-mixup

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 18:59:49
From: Michael V
ID: 1991216
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


A Bently won the Bathurst 12 hour, I say.

Which class, which year? I watched a Mercedes-AMG win.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 19:05:54
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991218
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“Inspirational surfing star Bethany Hamilton has threatened to boycott the World Surf League tour after it changed the rules allowing transgender athletes to compete against women without consultation with the current surfers.

Hamilton only has one arm after a shark attack when she was just 13 years old but has overcome that severe injury to become a popular and successful competitor on the WSL Tour.
The WSL has released its International Surfing Association’s (ISA) transgender policy for all of its tours that will allow for all transgender athletes to compete in the women’s competitions.
It comes after a push from athlete’s like Western Australian transgender surfer Sarah Jane Lowerson who recently took first place in both the open Women’s and open Women’s Logger competitions at the West Coast Suspensions Longboard and Logger State Championships in WA.”

Here’s Sarah hanging five.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 19:06:10
From: Michael V
ID: 1991219
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Praise the Lord
https://youtu.be/FFiU5VVU9XU
A river being born again.

I’ve witnessed similar on the Upper Clarence at Rivertree.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 19:07:08
From: Michael V
ID: 1991220
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Praise the Lord
https://youtu.be/FFiU5VVU9XU
A river being born again.

That was 9 months ago. It’s probably as dry as a pommie’s bathmat now.

LOLOL

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 19:07:18
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991221
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Peak Warming Man said:

A Bently won the Bathurst 12 hour, I say.

Which class, which year? I watched a Mercedes-AMG win.

This year, I looked it up but I must have cocked that up.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 19:07:52
From: Michael V
ID: 1991222
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


there is a little town in central Queensland called Mercy. they have a speciality tea. Made from koalas. They leave the fur on for some reason. they won’t strain it for you. They reckon that the koala tea of mercy is not strained.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 19:15:38
From: Michael V
ID: 1991223
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Michael V said:

Peak Warming Man said:

A Bently won the Bathurst 12 hour, I say.

Which class, which year? I watched a Mercedes-AMG win.

This year, I looked it up but I must have cocked that up.

1st Mercedes-AMG
2nd Porsche
3rd BMW

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 19:16:17
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991224
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


JudgeMental said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Keep working for as long as you can.

I’m retired. I have time on my hands. and on my face.

That’s quite good.
I’ll use that one, without attribution.

Yes. Diamonds and such can be stolen by only one thief at a time. Quotes and jokes can be stolen by multitudes simultaneously.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 19:17:30
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991225
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Michael V said:

Which class, which year? I watched a Mercedes-AMG win.

This year, I looked it up but I must have cocked that up.

1st Mercedes-AMG
2nd Porsche
3rd BMW

It vas ein wery Cherman result, nein?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 19:28:57
From: Michael V
ID: 1991227
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Michael V said:

Peak Warming Man said:

This year, I looked it up but I must have cocked that up.

1st Mercedes-AMG
2nd Porsche
3rd BMW

It vas ein wery Cherman result, nein?

Jawohl.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 19:42:27
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991228
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

12th century chair from Suntak Old Church, Sweden.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 20:13:29
From: Kingy
ID: 1991231
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


there is a little town in central Queensland called Mercy. they have a speciality tea. Made from koalas. They leave the fur on for some reason. they won’t strain it for you. They reckon that the koala tea of mercy is not strained.

ffs, I’ve just finished work and this is the first post I click on?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 20:34:18
From: transition
ID: 1991233
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

who’s making coffee

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 20:42:57
From: Kingy
ID: 1991234
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


who’s making coffee

At this time of night?

Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 20:45:47
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1991235
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:

Man attempts trip to Sydney, Australia – and ends up in Sidney, Montana

‘I saw a mountaintop covered in white snow. At that point, I knew I was in trouble,’ says Kingsley Burnett, who mixed up airport codes

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/feb/03/sydney-australia-montana-flight-mixup”:https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/feb/03/sydney-australia-montana-flight-mixup

¿¡Acronym¡¿

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 20:48:50
From: transition
ID: 1991236
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


transition said:

who’s making coffee

At this time of night?

Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

i’ll make’t, stay seated

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 20:54:04
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991237
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-06/live-turkiye-and-syria-earthquake/101937804

It’s reading like it’s really really bad.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 20:54:46
From: buffy
ID: 1991239
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-06/live-turkiye-and-syria-earthquake/101937804

It’s reading like it’s really really bad.

It does read that way.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 20:56:44
From: Kingy
ID: 1991241
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Our 737 waterbomber has just crashed. :(

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 20:58:13
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991242
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Our 737 waterbomber has just crashed. :(

Badly?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 20:59:34
From: Kingy
ID: 1991243
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Kingy said:

Our 737 waterbomber has just crashed. :(

Badly?

It appears that the pilots have survived.

No more news yet.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 20:59:48
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991244
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Didn’t know we had an Australian bush cashmere goat.
https://www.australiancashmere.com.au/the-australian-cashmere-story

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 21:14:23
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991245
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Our 737 waterbomber has just crashed. :(

Jebus H. Palomino.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 21:15:20
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991246
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The woman who painted science | BBC Ideas
https://fb.watch/iwzbSQ5Xpb/

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 21:16:49
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991247
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Kingy said:

Our 737 waterbomber has just crashed. :(

Badly?

It appears that the pilots have survived.

No more news yet.

Waiting anxiously here.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 21:17:07
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991248
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Kingy said:

Our 737 waterbomber has just crashed. :(

Jebus H. Palomino.

Ouch. I hope the crew are OK.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 21:17:47
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991249
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Didn’t know we had an Australian bush cashmere goat.
https://www.australiancashmere.com.au/the-australian-cashmere-story

I thought that was one of the oldest stories.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 21:18:59
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991250
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


sarahs mum said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-06/live-turkiye-and-syria-earthquake/101937804

It’s reading like it’s really really bad.

It does read that way.

A lot of people live in that earthquake zone. They are often bad.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 21:24:17
From: furious
ID: 1991251
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Kingy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Badly?

It appears that the pilots have survived.

No more news yet.

Waiting anxiously here.

Plane crashes as firefighters battle blaze in WA’s south

“It is unclear if the two people who freed themselves from the wreckage were the only occupants of the plane.”

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 21:39:50
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1991252
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Our 737 waterbomber has just crashed. :(

Oh crap, that’s very bad. :(

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 21:40:59
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991253
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Another quake just hit central Türkiye
2m ago

By Caitlyn Davey
Key Event

That’s according to the European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre which says a 7.5 magnitude quake just hit central Türkiye.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 21:44:27
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991254
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The abc couldn’t find footage of a 737.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 21:45:34
From: Kingy
ID: 1991255
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

This one

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 21:55:36
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991256
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


The abc couldn’t find footage of a 737.

The.Best.Selling. Jet. Aircraft. Of. All. Time.

And they had no video of it.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 21:57:19
From: ms spock
ID: 1991257
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Oíche mhaith amháin agus go léir!
(Good evening one and all!)

Link name

Siobhán Mhic Thréinfhir is one of those whose prounciation I am practicing for my Irish at the moment. She’s a good singer as well.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 21:59:27
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991258
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

Oíche mhaith amháin agus go léir!
(Good evening one and all!)

Link name

Siobhán Mhic Thréinfhir is one of those whose prounciation I am practicing for my Irish at the moment. She’s a good singer as well.

All i know is that ‘Siobhán’ is ‘Shivawn’.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:09:23
From: sibeen
ID: 1991259
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ms spock said:

Oíche mhaith amháin agus go léir!
(Good evening one and all!)

Link name

Siobhán Mhic Thréinfhir is one of those whose prounciation I am practicing for my Irish at the moment. She’s a good singer as well.

All i know is that ‘Siobhán’ is ‘Shivawn’.

Many years ago my mother ran into someone at the F&C shop who she slightly new. he was a new father and very chuffed about it. Mum asked what was the babie’s name, and he proudly told her it was an Irish name, and it was Siobhán – except he pronounced it in phonetic English. Mum was a bit perplexed and asked him to spell it. The poor bloke had to go home and tell his wife the correct pronunciation :)

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:11:07
From: ms spock
ID: 1991260
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2335515-deadly-pakistan-floods-are-a-climate-catastrophe-says-un-chief/

https://news.un.org/en/story/2023/01/1132522

I was practicing with another student, who is a psychiatrist in Pakistan. He and his father run a free medical health centre. He has to have his patients come back to take their antibiotics and watch them take their medication because otherwise they will stop taking them when they start feeling better and keep them for another time.

They had a 7 year old come in the other day asking for a job because his 4 year old sister hadn’t had anything to eat that day. He was most upset. So he has started some schools teaching English so the children from the poorer areas will have a chance of better education and a job.

There is a great stigma about poor mental health and he talks on the TV.

The extremists read out the Koran out 24/7 so where he lives they literally don’t get a moment’s peace. It’s always on in the background.

They have two hours electricity then no electricity for two hours. Even in the larger cities.

Because they are the so poor I didn’t think they could lose much more but the floods washed away their roads.

He gets pulled up when he goes running and the police check his shorts are not above his knees.

He has spoken out against human rights violations so he is at risk. A guy asked a question about the Koran the other day and they hung him up in his work place by a noose. He sent the video and his family got angry at him for bringing attention to it. They beg him not to speak out because it could cost him his life.

Pakistanis are under a lot of stress. For even doing exercise, you have to meet criteria with dress and he is a man.

If there is a religious festival in Pakistan they turn off the Internet so the terrorists cannot set off bombs using mobile phones, and if there are too many bombings then they turn off the Internet in certain towns and regions.

The more time zones you study across the more people you meet living in the most challenging of circumstances.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:11:30
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991261
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-06/water-bomber-crashes-fighting-wa-bushfire-two-people-hospital/101938070

“The two pilots onboard were retrieved from the crash site by helicopter and airlifted to Ravensthorpe Health Service,” (WA Police) said in a statement.

A St John Ambulance WA spokesperson said the two people were not believed to be seriously injured.”

This suggests that there was only the two aboard.

If so, praise be to Dog.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:14:22
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991262
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2335515-deadly-pakistan-floods-are-a-climate-catastrophe-says-un-chief/

https://news.un.org/en/story/2023/01/1132522

I was practicing with another student, who is a psychiatrist in Pakistan. He and his father run a free medical health centre. He has to have his patients come back to take their antibiotics and watch them take their medication because otherwise they will stop taking them when they start feeling better and keep them for another time.

They had a 7 year old come in the other day asking for a job because his 4 year old sister hadn’t had anything to eat that day. He was most upset. So he has started some schools teaching English so the children from the poorer areas will have a chance of better education and a job.

There is a great stigma about poor mental health and he talks on the TV.

The extremists read out the Koran out 24/7 so where he lives they literally don’t get a moment’s peace. It’s always on in the background.

They have two hours electricity then no electricity for two hours. Even in the larger cities.

Because they are the so poor I didn’t think they could lose much more but the floods washed away their roads.

He gets pulled up when he goes running and the police check his shorts are not above his knees.

He has spoken out against human rights violations so he is at risk. A guy asked a question about the Koran the other day and they hung him up in his work place by a noose. He sent the video and his family got angry at him for bringing attention to it. They beg him not to speak out because it could cost him his life.

Pakistanis are under a lot of stress. For even doing exercise, you have to meet criteria with dress and he is a man.

If there is a religious festival in Pakistan they turn off the Internet so the terrorists cannot set off bombs using mobile phones, and if there are too many bombings then they turn off the Internet in certain towns and regions.

The more time zones you study across the more people you meet living in the most challenging of circumstances.

Well, as long as Allah/God/Walt Disney/whatever is happy and reassured, it’s all for the good.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:15:26
From: ms spock
ID: 1991263
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ms spock said:

Oíche mhaith amháin agus go léir!
(Good evening one and all!)

Link name

Siobhán Mhic Thréinfhir is one of those whose prounciation I am practicing for my Irish at the moment. She’s a good singer as well.

All i know is that ‘Siobhán’ is ‘Shivawn’.

Well you knew more than me captain spalding until earlier today when I learnt her name is prounciation Shivawn!

I have a lot of Irish homework to do. I am doing a number of classes. I can’t believe the amount of free Irish courses that there are on each day. I could easily do once class per day each week. It’s grand!

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:16:29
From: ms spock
ID: 1991264
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


captain_spalding said:

ms spock said:

Oíche mhaith amháin agus go léir!
(Good evening one and all!)

Link name

Siobhán Mhic Thréinfhir is one of those whose prounciation I am practicing for my Irish at the moment. She’s a good singer as well.

All i know is that ‘Siobhán’ is ‘Shivawn’.

Many years ago my mother ran into someone at the F&C shop who she slightly new. he was a new father and very chuffed about it. Mum asked what was the babie’s name, and he proudly told her it was an Irish name, and it was Siobhán – except he pronounced it in phonetic English. Mum was a bit perplexed and asked him to spell it. The poor bloke had to go home and tell his wife the correct pronunciation :)

:)

Lucky your mother was around to save the day!

Do you speak Irish as well?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:21:11
From: ms spock
ID: 1991266
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ABC News:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-06/water-bomber-crashes-fighting-wa-bushfire-two-people-hospital/101938070

“The two pilots onboard were retrieved from the crash site by helicopter and airlifted to Ravensthorpe Health Service,” (WA Police) said in a statement.

A St John Ambulance WA spokesperson said the two people were not believed to be seriously injured.”

This suggests that there was only the two aboard.

If so, praise be to Dog.

Yes praise a madra or madrai, in case of plural dogs!

So

Praise be to the dog or Praise be to the dogs!
Moladh don mhadra nó moladh do na madraí!

Just throwing some options out there.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:21:39
From: sibeen
ID: 1991267
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sibeen said:

captain_spalding said:

All i know is that ‘Siobhán’ is ‘Shivawn’.

Many years ago my mother ran into someone at the F&C shop who she slightly new. he was a new father and very chuffed about it. Mum asked what was the babie’s name, and he proudly told her it was an Irish name, and it was Siobhán – except he pronounced it in phonetic English. Mum was a bit perplexed and asked him to spell it. The poor bloke had to go home and tell his wife the correct pronunciation :)

:)

Lucky your mother was around to save the day!

Do you speak Irish as well?

Nah. Dad was from Northern Ireland, but not in a part that spoke gaelic. One of my cousins lived in a town on the coast of Donegal that was nearly fully gaelic speaking. I would walk into her house and she’d be chatting away with friends and they’d take one look at me and switch to English.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:21:45
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1991268
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ABC News:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-06/water-bomber-crashes-fighting-wa-bushfire-two-people-hospital/101938070

“The two pilots onboard were retrieved from the crash site by helicopter and airlifted to Ravensthorpe Health Service,” (WA Police) said in a statement.

A St John Ambulance WA spokesperson said the two people were not believed to be seriously injured.”

This suggests that there was only the two aboard.

If so, praise be to Dog.

Yeah only two crew in a 737.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:27:31
From: ms spock
ID: 1991270
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ms spock said:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2335515-deadly-pakistan-floods-are-a-climate-catastrophe-says-un-chief/

https://news.un.org/en/story/2023/01/1132522

I was practicing with another student, who is a psychiatrist in Pakistan. He and his father run a free medical health centre. He has to have his patients come back to take their antibiotics and watch them take their medication because otherwise they will stop taking them when they start feeling better and keep them for another time.

They had a 7 year old come in the other day asking for a job because his 4 year old sister hadn’t had anything to eat that day. He was most upset. So he has started some schools teaching English so the children from the poorer areas will have a chance of better education and a job.

There is a great stigma about poor mental health and he talks on the TV.

The extremists read out the Koran out 24/7 so where he lives they literally don’t get a moment’s peace. It’s always on in the background.

They have two hours electricity then no electricity for two hours. Even in the larger cities.

Because they are the so poor I didn’t think they could lose much more but the floods washed away their roads.

He gets pulled up when he goes running and the police check his shorts are not above his knees.

He has spoken out against human rights violations so he is at risk. A guy asked a question about the Koran the other day and they hung him up in his work place by a noose. He sent the video and his family got angry at him for bringing attention to it. They beg him not to speak out because it could cost him his life.

Pakistanis are under a lot of stress. For even doing exercise, you have to meet criteria with dress and he is a man.

If there is a religious festival in Pakistan they turn off the Internet so the terrorists cannot set off bombs using mobile phones, and if there are too many bombings then they turn off the Internet in certain towns and regions.

The more time zones you study across the more people you meet living in the most challenging of circumstances.

Well, as long as Allah/God/Walt Disney/whatever is happy and reassured, it’s all for the good.

There was an illiterate cleaner who burnt a page of the Quran, and he was killed for it. I kind of have to read the Pakistanis news before practicing with him, to be on top of what is going on. The lower caste to clean the sewers are usually Christians without PPEs.

To live in a country where are mob will surround a person and literally pull them apart is a very different mindset to many other countries. Though Indigenous Australians certainly die in custody.

It’s a very different life style.

And you are not really into being a Muslim you really can’t speak up about it. It’s dangerous.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:27:47
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991271
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ABC News:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-06/water-bomber-crashes-fighting-wa-bushfire-two-people-hospital/101938070

“The two pilots onboard were retrieved from the crash site by helicopter and airlifted to Ravensthorpe Health Service,” (WA Police) said in a statement.

A St John Ambulance WA spokesperson said the two people were not believed to be seriously injured.”

This suggests that there was only the two aboard.

If so, praise be to Dog.

Excellent.

still it is sad to be down a plane and this point in the season.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:29:13
From: ms spock
ID: 1991273
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


ms spock said:

sibeen said:

Many years ago my mother ran into someone at the F&C shop who she slightly new. he was a new father and very chuffed about it. Mum asked what was the babie’s name, and he proudly told her it was an Irish name, and it was Siobhán – except he pronounced it in phonetic English. Mum was a bit perplexed and asked him to spell it. The poor bloke had to go home and tell his wife the correct pronunciation :)

:)

Lucky your mother was around to save the day!

Do you speak Irish as well?

Nah. Dad was from Northern Ireland, but not in a part that spoke gaelic. One of my cousins lived in a town on the coast of Donegal that was nearly fully gaelic speaking. I would walk into her house and she’d be chatting away with friends and they’d take one look at me and switch to English.

Oh wow! That’s so exciting!

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:32:49
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991275
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I got drunk in a bar in donegal and sang ‘the rose of Tralee’ with no accompaniment.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:35:17
From: ms spock
ID: 1991277
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


I got drunk in a bar in donegal and sang ‘the rose of Tralee’ with no accompaniment.

I am sorry to have missed that sarahs mum.

I trust if you do a repeat performance that I will be in attendance!

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:38:41
From: sibeen
ID: 1991278
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


I got drunk in a bar in donegal and sang ‘the rose of Tralee’ with no accompaniment.

I got drunk in a many bars in Donegal. I didn’t sing :)

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:41:11
From: ms spock
ID: 1991279
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

What do you call white cedars?

Melia azaradach.

It doesn’t matter what you call them, they never come when you call.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:42:11
From: sibeen
ID: 1991280
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

spocky, my forum name is from one of the spellings for an illegal bar in Ireland. Anglicised as Shebeen.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:43:17
From: sibeen
ID: 1991281
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


spocky, my forum name is from one of the spellings for an illegal bar in Ireland. Anglicised as Shebeen.

So I do know at least one gaelic word :)

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:44:30
From: ms spock
ID: 1991282
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:



there’s one of, keeping lookout over dam, others still back on scrubline

Loving the close up!

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:48:08
From: ms spock
ID: 1991283
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy I hope that your 737 plane and colleagues are okay.

I also didn’t know that Australia has Cashmere Goats.

That’s just beautiful Sarah’s Mum! The woman who painted science

I am hoping that Mr Car will not be arrested over the length of his grass. Sorry to hear his partner, who had been sick for some time has died Mr Car!

Bummer about the Bluey PWM! May the device have been incapacitated at the time of your egress.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:49:19
From: ms spock
ID: 1991284
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


spocky, my forum name is from one of the spellings for an illegal bar in Ireland. Anglicised as Shebeen.

Oh sibeen! I didn’t know that! Go raibh maith agat for telling me!

I hope that I get an opportunity to go to that illegal bar one day! Not that I drink but it would be fun to go to an illegal bar.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:50:17
From: ms spock
ID: 1991285
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


sibeen said:

spocky, my forum name is from one of the spellings for an illegal bar in Ireland. Anglicised as Shebeen.

So I do know at least one gaelic word :)

LOL

I will put that into my homework this week. I have to write a dialogue. So I will put that in that I want to go to the Sibeen! LOL Thanks for helping me with my homework!

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:53:46
From: sibeen
ID: 1991286
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sibeen said:

sibeen said:

spocky, my forum name is from one of the spellings for an illegal bar in Ireland. Anglicised as Shebeen.

So I do know at least one gaelic word :)

LOL

I will put that into my homework this week. I have to write a dialogue. So I will put that in that I want to go to the Sibeen! LOL Thanks for helping me with my homework!

Another, and perhaps better known spelling, is síbín.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:54:25
From: Arts
ID: 1991287
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


sarahs mum said:

I got drunk in a bar in donegal and sang ‘the rose of Tralee’ with no accompaniment.

I got drunk in a many bars in Donegal. I didn’t sing :)

You get drunk even without the bar.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:56:41
From: sibeen
ID: 1991288
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sibeen said:

sarahs mum said:

I got drunk in a bar in donegal and sang ‘the rose of Tralee’ with no accompaniment.

I got drunk in a many bars in Donegal. I didn’t sing :)

You get drunk even without the bar.

There is some merit in what you say.

Hey, I could only get the abstract of “My favourite Serial Killers”, or whatever the name you gave it was.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 22:58:00
From: ms spock
ID: 1991289
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


ms spock said:

sibeen said:

So I do know at least one gaelic word :)

LOL

I will put that into my homework this week. I have to write a dialogue. So I will put that in that I want to go to the Sibeen! LOL Thanks for helping me with my homework!

Another, and perhaps better known spelling, is síbín.

I will get them to have a dialogue about which pub they want to go to along with the general formal greetings! That will give my homework the edge. (puts head on desk and laughs) I am so competative it’s ridiculous!

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:01:04
From: ms spock
ID: 1991291
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


Bubblecar said:

transition said:

there ya go, airborne

Fine group of gordons. Squadron is probably the correct term.

They look like they’re dancing, which would make them happy.

Dia duit btm!

I never knew of them as gordons! Learning more each day!

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:02:25
From: Arts
ID: 1991293
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Arts said:

sibeen said:

I got drunk in a many bars in Donegal. I didn’t sing :)

You get drunk even without the bar.

There is some merit in what you say.

Hey, I could only get the abstract of “My favourite Serial Killers”, or whatever the name you gave it was.

If you want the whole chapter tell e you email, and I’ll send it to you.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:05:44
From: ms spock
ID: 1991294
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


I got drunk in a bar in donegal and sang ‘the rose of Tralee’ with no accompaniment.

This is all great I will rewrite it in Irish Gaelic and make quite the dialogue, which will probably make sense to no one but me. But I am a learner and expect to make many mistakes!

I am trying to respond to several emails at once so I didn’t fill up the VBT.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:05:53
From: sibeen
ID: 1991295
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sibeen said:

Arts said:

You get drunk even without the bar.

There is some merit in what you say.

Hey, I could only get the abstract of “My favourite Serial Killers”, or whatever the name you gave it was.

If you want the whole chapter tell e you email, and I’ll send it to you.

joe at sidco dot com dot au

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:06:40
From: ms spock
ID: 1991296
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

It’s probably written on the box you got them from in the supermarket.

These days they only say white or yellow peach.

They are most often known by numbers these days. Row #12 tree # 486. This is oft how the nurseries get new variety budwood.

The boxes I’ve seen have the growers name and place on them. For cherries, plums, other stone fruit. Pineapples have their grower on the tag stuck on with Impossible Gunk. Broccoli etc is taken out of the boxes, so you can’t check them, same with bananas. Unless you are there and chatting with the shelf fillers. As I go shopping early, I often am there at the same time as them.

Very interesting buffy! I don’t shop early. We get fruit and vegetables delivered by a local farmer.
——————————————————
That is so cool buffy!

A couple I know had just gone through this. They also seem to be going well with the transition! They work in mental health, so that’s a bit different. But great these good folks are creating support structures for other folks.

Rainbow Vets and Allies (ARVA) as an advocacy and support group for LGBT individuals in veterinary practice in Australia and South-East Asia
————————————————————

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:14:25
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991297
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

I got drunk in a bar in donegal and sang ‘the rose of Tralee’ with no accompaniment.

This is all great I will rewrite it in Irish Gaelic and make quite the dialogue, which will probably make sense to no one but me. But I am a learner and expect to make many mistakes!

I am trying to respond to several emails at once so I didn’t fill up the VBT.

I also interrupted a drunk local throwing glasses from the pub onto a neighbouring roof and shattering them.

‘Why should I stop?’ he said.

‘Why did you start?’

He slammed another down and walked away.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:16:21
From: ms spock
ID: 1991298
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Roughbarked I was not aware that “They were peaches you had to drink off the tree”.
———————————————————————-
Hoping Mrs V is making a solid recovery Mr V.
———————————————————————-
buffy said:


I’m onto my third blood plum for today. I think I need to limit myself a bit. Moving into my fruit eating time of year (plums, then peaches and nectarines, then various apples) I may have to pace myself a bit. So far three days of three plums a day hasn’t caused any problems.

I find that hard to do because they are so tasty!
—————————————————————————————————-

Greenough River: a dry river awakens
That is stunning Peak Warming Man!
—————————————————————————————————-

JudgeMental said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Keep working for as long as you can.

I’m retired. I have time on my hands. and on my face.

Brilliant!

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:17:17
From: ms spock
ID: 1991299
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

I got drunk in a bar in donegal and sang ‘the rose of Tralee’ with no accompaniment.

This is all great I will rewrite it in Irish Gaelic and make quite the dialogue, which will probably make sense to no one but me. But I am a learner and expect to make many mistakes!

I am trying to respond to several emails at once so I didn’t fill up the VBT.

I also interrupted a drunk local throwing glasses from the pub onto a neighbouring roof and shattering them.

‘Why should I stop?’ he said.

‘Why did you start?’

He slammed another down and walked away.

That’s great! You know you are inspiring my Irish homework to be somewhat amusing? Go raibh maith agat!

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:20:07
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991300
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

ms spock said:

This is all great I will rewrite it in Irish Gaelic and make quite the dialogue, which will probably make sense to no one but me. But I am a learner and expect to make many mistakes!

I am trying to respond to several emails at once so I didn’t fill up the VBT.

I also interrupted a drunk local throwing glasses from the pub onto a neighbouring roof and shattering them.

‘Why should I stop?’ he said.

‘Why did you start?’

He slammed another down and walked away.

That’s great! You know you are inspiring my Irish homework to be somewhat amusing? Go raibh maith agat!

I have the feeling if I wasn’t an australian female I would have been decked.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:22:32
From: ms spock
ID: 1991301
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

I also interrupted a drunk local throwing glasses from the pub onto a neighbouring roof and shattering them.

‘Why should I stop?’ he said.

‘Why did you start?’

He slammed another down and walked away.

That’s great! You know you are inspiring my Irish homework to be somewhat amusing? Go raibh maith agat!

I have the feeling if I wasn’t an australian female I would have been decked.

LOL!

Ah well that is rather fortunate though hey?

Not being decked is a win!

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:23:34
From: ms spock
ID: 1991302
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

I also interrupted a drunk local throwing glasses from the pub onto a neighbouring roof and shattering them.

‘Why should I stop?’ he said.

‘Why did you start?’

He slammed another down and walked away.

That’s great! You know you are inspiring my Irish homework to be somewhat amusing? Go raibh maith agat!

I have the feeling if I wasn’t an australian female I would have been decked.

Read you tomorrow Sarah’s Mum! :)

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:24:34
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991303
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

ms spock said:

That’s great! You know you are inspiring my Irish homework to be somewhat amusing? Go raibh maith agat!

I have the feeling if I wasn’t an australian female I would have been decked.

Read you tomorrow Sarah’s Mum! :)

I’ll be here.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:29:16
From: Arts
ID: 1991304
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Arts said:

sibeen said:

There is some merit in what you say.

Hey, I could only get the abstract of “My favourite Serial Killers”, or whatever the name you gave it was.

If you want the whole chapter tell e you email, and I’ll send it to you.

joe at sidco dot com dot au

done

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:30:26
From: party_pants
ID: 1991305
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sibeen said:

Arts said:

If you want the whole chapter tell e you email, and I’ll send it to you.

joe at sidco dot com dot au

done

I just hope it is not written in Gaelic.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:31:47
From: sibeen
ID: 1991307
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sibeen said:

Arts said:

If you want the whole chapter tell e you email, and I’ll send it to you.

joe at sidco dot com dot au

done

And got. I’m going to Mallacoota on Friday for a week off. I’ll read it there; that way if I wake screaming the sprogs, who are remaining in Melbourne, won’t hear me.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:32:24
From: sibeen
ID: 1991308
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Arts said:

sibeen said:

joe at sidco dot com dot au

done

And got. I’m going to Mallacoota on Friday for a week off. I’ll read it there; that way if I wake screaming the sprogs, who are remaining in Melbourne, won’t hear me.

And I just noticed the heading of the email :)

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:32:33
From: Arts
ID: 1991309
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Arts said:

sibeen said:

joe at sidco dot com dot au

done

And got. I’m going to Mallacoota on Friday for a week off. I’ll read it there; that way if I wake screaming the sprogs, who are remaining in Melbourne, won’t hear me.

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it..

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:34:45
From: Arts
ID: 1991310
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


sibeen said:

Arts said:

done

And got. I’m going to Mallacoota on Friday for a week off. I’ll read it there; that way if I wake screaming the sprogs, who are remaining in Melbourne, won’t hear me.

And I just noticed the heading of the email :)

since writing the case studies was one of my roles, you aren’t far wrong with your title suggestion… I did just pop in a few of my favs…

Reply Quote

Date: 6/02/2023 23:50:13
From: transition
ID: 1991314
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

armarnarmarnar

coffee also’t toast
latter a crust
very crunchy was
promite over
yummy ya knows
finish mustly
shortly bed I goes
tooth scrubly
will does because
decay no fun
bacteria I not host
acid’n teethy
neutral-ize why so
I gets it done
ways’t mum show
wee boy see
properly high’n low
‘n’ up’n down
all ‘round needs go

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 00:34:45
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991326
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

We’re going to wrap up the blog for today but here’s the current update on what’s happened.

Rescue efforts are underway in Türkiye and Syria Death toll is expected to rise according to World Health Organization, it’s currently sitting at more than 1,300 There were two earthquakes, one registering at 7.8 magnitude over night and a second on Monday afternoon registering at 7.6 More than 45 countries have offered assistance and aid
Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 02:21:03
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1991333
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


The woman who painted science | BBC Ideas
https://fb.watch/iwzbSQ5Xpb/

And nature was her passion.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 02:30:57
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991334
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


sarahs mum said:

The woman who painted science | BBC Ideas
https://fb.watch/iwzbSQ5Xpb/

And nature was her passion.

It is the most awsome passion.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 03:53:14
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991338
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A care home in Iowa has been fined $10,000 after wrongly declaring a patient dead. The woman, who was 66 years old, had spent almost 50 minutes zipped inside a body bag while being transported to a funeral home before staff members realized she was still alive.

https://www.iflscience.com/-dead-woman-discovered-alive-and-gasping-for-air-in-body-bag-67407

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 05:08:19
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1991339
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/vic-magistrate-stood-down-after-fresh-complaint/ar-AA178XrU?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=c52bb36189e24f49b0e4e8f7899b0974

Vic magistrate stood down after fresh complaint.

Story by Emily Woods • Yesterday 12:50 pm
7 Comments

A Victorian magistrate who previously made comments about a rape victim experiencing “buyer’s remorse” has been stood down following a new complaint about his behaviour.

A Victorian magistrate has been stood down after a fresh complaint.

Magistrate Richard Pithouse, who was appointed to the bench in 2008, was previously investigated for his comments to a rape victim and was also before a court charged with a driving offence.

He was spared a conviction when put on a diversion program after failing to immediately stop after he smashed into the back of a parked car and drove off in 2017.

Then, in 2018, Mr Pithouse suggested a rape victim had experienced “buyer’s remorse” during a compensation claim, after being told she called a sexual assault crisis line the morning after the incident.

He also remarked “intoxication is not an excuse for the purposes of the Tribunal” and said the woman had “put herself in that position”.

The Judicial Commission of Victoria investigated and found the remarks were highly inappropriate and insensitive.

The victim said she was left devastated by the comments and did not think he deserved to keep his job.

But he kept his position and in 2021 the commission recommended the magistrate instead be personally counselled by Chief Magistrate Lisa Hannan over his conduct.

A fresh complaint was lodged about Mr Pithouse’s in-court behaviour in September last year, the commission said on Monday.

Details about the new complaint have not yet been revealed.

The commission recommended the magistrate be stood down from office in light of the complaint as it could amount to “proved misbehaviour or incapacity of the officer”.

If he remained in the role, the commission said it would likely impair public confidence in Mr Pithouse or the court’s impartiality, independence or integrity.

Ms Hannan agreed to stand Mr Pithouse down until further notice, preventing him from performing functions in an open court.

The standing down does not affect his salary, allowances or entitlements.

The fresh complaint was referred to an investigating panel in December 2022 and the investigation is ongoing, the commission said.

“As the investigation is ongoing, the commission will not be commenting further at this time,” it said.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 06:59:00
From: buffy
ID: 1991340
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. It’s 11 degrees here, overcast, and there is a very fine spitting “rain” going on. We are forecast a cloudy 23 degrees, working up to 33 on Friday. As presently forecast.

It’s Bakery Breakfast morning again. I might have a caramelized onion pie today.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 08:15:14
From: Michael V
ID: 1991342
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light breezes gusting to moderate, 24.0°C and 67% RH. The oppressive, energy-sapping mugginess of the last week has finally gone. BoM forecasts 29°C maximum and no chance of rain.

Agenda: take The Patient out to Rainbow Shores again, to walk some distance along the concrete path in the forest back to town. Yesterday she walked 650 steps out before returning, a significant improvement on 500 steps the day before. Try to get a few things done that should have been done in the last week but weren’t because of the oppressive weather.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:01:15
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991345
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light breezes gusting to moderate, 24.0°C and 67% RH. The oppressive, energy-sapping mugginess of the last week has finally gone. BoM forecasts 29°C maximum and no chance of rain.

Agenda: take The Patient out to Rainbow Shores again, to walk some distance along the concrete path in the forest back to town. Yesterday she walked 650 steps out before returning, a significant improvement on 500 steps the day before. Try to get a few things done that should have been done in the last week but weren’t because of the oppressive weather.


That’s good news. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:08:34
From: Tamb
ID: 1991348
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light breezes gusting to moderate, 24.0°C and 67% RH. The oppressive, energy-sapping mugginess of the last week has finally gone. BoM forecasts 29°C maximum and no chance of rain.

Agenda: take The Patient out to Rainbow Shores again, to walk some distance along the concrete path in the forest back to town. Yesterday she walked 650 steps out before returning, a significant improvement on 500 steps the day before. Try to get a few things done that should have been done in the last week but weren’t because of the oppressive weather.


Morning all.
23°, 6/8 cloud. Nothing further to report.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:18:38
From: ms spock
ID: 1991350
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

I have the feeling if I wasn’t an australian female I would have been decked.

Read you tomorrow Sarah’s Mum! :)

I’ll be here.

It is always good to know that Sarah’s Mum. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:19:41
From: ms spock
ID: 1991351
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Arts said:

sibeen said:

joe at sidco dot com dot au

done

I just hope it is not written in Gaelic.

Would you like a translation? I can give a guaranteed low quality confusing Irish translation at any time of day or night!

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:22:34
From: Tamb
ID: 1991353
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

ms spock said:

Read you tomorrow Sarah’s Mum! :)

I’ll be here.

It is always good to know that Sarah’s Mum. :)

+1

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:23:22
From: ms spock
ID: 1991354
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sibeen said:

Arts said:

done

And got. I’m going to Mallacoota on Friday for a week off. I’ll read it there; that way if I wake screaming the sprogs, who are remaining in Melbourne, won’t hear me.

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it..

If you don’t mind me asking what are you writing about Arts? I am curious to know!

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:37:47
From: ms spock
ID: 1991361
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


We’re going to wrap up the blog for today but here’s the current update on what’s happened.

Rescue efforts are underway in Türkiye and Syria Death toll is expected to rise according to World Health Organization, it’s currently sitting at more than 1,300 There were two earthquakes, one registering at 7.8 magnitude over night and a second on Monday afternoon registering at 7.6 More than 45 countries have offered assistance and aid

:(

Na daoine bochta, bochta sin! (Those poor, poor people!)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:39:25
From: dv
ID: 1991363
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.fox4news.com/news/fort-worth-residents-venture-out-as-north-texas-unthaws

Unthaws?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:39:38
From: sibeen
ID: 1991364
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Arts said:

sibeen said:

And got. I’m going to Mallacoota on Friday for a week off. I’ll read it there; that way if I wake screaming the sprogs, who are remaining in Melbourne, won’t hear me.

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it..

If you don’t mind me asking what are you writing about Arts? I am curious to know!

spocky, not bedtime reading.

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-030-98711-4_16-1

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:39:43
From: ms spock
ID: 1991365
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


sarahs mum said:

The woman who painted science | BBC Ideas
https://fb.watch/iwzbSQ5Xpb/

And nature was her passion.

It is just stunning!

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:43:41
From: ms spock
ID: 1991367
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

monkey skipper said:


https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/vic-magistrate-stood-down-after-fresh-complaint/ar-AA178XrU?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=c52bb36189e24f49b0e4e8f7899b0974

Vic magistrate stood down after fresh complaint.

Story by Emily Woods • Yesterday 12:50 pm
7 Comments

A Victorian magistrate who previously made comments about a rape victim experiencing “buyer’s remorse” has been stood down following a new complaint about his behaviour.

A Victorian magistrate has been stood down after a fresh complaint.

Magistrate Richard Pithouse, who was appointed to the bench in 2008, was previously investigated for his comments to a rape victim and was also before a court charged with a driving offence.

He was spared a conviction when put on a diversion program after failing to immediately stop after he smashed into the back of a parked car and drove off in 2017.

Then, in 2018, Mr Pithouse suggested a rape victim had experienced “buyer’s remorse” during a compensation claim, after being told she called a sexual assault crisis line the morning after the incident.

He also remarked “intoxication is not an excuse for the purposes of the Tribunal” and said the woman had “put herself in that position”.

The Judicial Commission of Victoria investigated and found the remarks were highly inappropriate and insensitive.

The victim said she was left devastated by the comments and did not think he deserved to keep his job.

But he kept his position and in 2021 the commission recommended the magistrate instead be personally counselled by Chief Magistrate Lisa Hannan over his conduct.

A fresh complaint was lodged about Mr Pithouse’s in-court behaviour in September last year, the commission said on Monday.

Details about the new complaint have not yet been revealed.

The commission recommended the magistrate be stood down from office in light of the complaint as it could amount to “proved misbehaviour or incapacity of the officer”.

If he remained in the role, the commission said it would likely impair public confidence in Mr Pithouse or the court’s impartiality, independence or integrity.

Ms Hannan agreed to stand Mr Pithouse down until further notice, preventing him from performing functions in an open court.

The standing down does not affect his salary, allowances or entitlements.

The fresh complaint was referred to an investigating panel in December 2022 and the investigation is ongoing, the commission said.

“As the investigation is ongoing, the commission will not be commenting further at this time,” it said.

In the family court there was a judge that said – even given sexual abuse by a parent – that didn’t mean that parent could not have unsupervised access. It caused a bit of an uproar at the time. His paragraph was in law textbooks at the time. I have to find that again. I think Jess Hill wrote about it.

These comments are the norm though and not the exception. I did a ton of court support. You become cynical, jaded and desentised to it all. The training has to start in Law School. Trauma and it’s effects should be taught in Law School.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:43:45
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991368
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


https://www.fox4news.com/news/fort-worth-residents-venture-out-as-north-texas-unthaws

Unthaws?

A very odd choice of word.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:44:42
From: ms spock
ID: 1991369
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Good morning Holidayers. It’s 11 degrees here, overcast, and there is a very fine spitting “rain” going on. We are forecast a cloudy 23 degrees, working up to 33 on Friday. As presently forecast.

It’s Bakery Breakfast morning again. I might have a caramelized onion pie today.

Go blasta! (Delicious!)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:45:23
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991370
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


monkey skipper said:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/vic-magistrate-stood-down-after-fresh-complaint/ar-AA178XrU?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=c52bb36189e24f49b0e4e8f7899b0974

Vic magistrate stood down after fresh complaint.

Story by Emily Woods • Yesterday 12:50 pm
7 Comments

A Victorian magistrate who previously made comments about a rape victim experiencing “buyer’s remorse” has been stood down following a new complaint about his behaviour.

A Victorian magistrate has been stood down after a fresh complaint.

Magistrate Richard Pithouse, who was appointed to the bench in 2008, was previously investigated for his comments to a rape victim and was also before a court charged with a driving offence.

He was spared a conviction when put on a diversion program after failing to immediately stop after he smashed into the back of a parked car and drove off in 2017.

Then, in 2018, Mr Pithouse suggested a rape victim had experienced “buyer’s remorse” during a compensation claim, after being told she called a sexual assault crisis line the morning after the incident.

He also remarked “intoxication is not an excuse for the purposes of the Tribunal” and said the woman had “put herself in that position”.

The Judicial Commission of Victoria investigated and found the remarks were highly inappropriate and insensitive.

The victim said she was left devastated by the comments and did not think he deserved to keep his job.

But he kept his position and in 2021 the commission recommended the magistrate instead be personally counselled by Chief Magistrate Lisa Hannan over his conduct.

A fresh complaint was lodged about Mr Pithouse’s in-court behaviour in September last year, the commission said on Monday.

Details about the new complaint have not yet been revealed.

The commission recommended the magistrate be stood down from office in light of the complaint as it could amount to “proved misbehaviour or incapacity of the officer”.

If he remained in the role, the commission said it would likely impair public confidence in Mr Pithouse or the court’s impartiality, independence or integrity.

Ms Hannan agreed to stand Mr Pithouse down until further notice, preventing him from performing functions in an open court.

The standing down does not affect his salary, allowances or entitlements.

The fresh complaint was referred to an investigating panel in December 2022 and the investigation is ongoing, the commission said.

“As the investigation is ongoing, the commission will not be commenting further at this time,” it said.

In the family court there was a judge that said – even given sexual abuse by a parent – that didn’t mean that parent could not have unsupervised access. It caused a bit of an uproar at the time. His paragraph was in law textbooks at the time. I have to find that again. I think Jess Hill wrote about it.

These comments are the norm though and not the exception. I did a ton of court support. You become cynical, jaded and desentised to it all. The training has to start in Law School. Trauma and it’s effects should be taught in Law School.

Dick Pithouse. It is like his parent’s knew..

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:46:03
From: ms spock
ID: 1991371
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light breezes gusting to moderate, 24.0°C and 67% RH. The oppressive, energy-sapping mugginess of the last week has finally gone. BoM forecasts 29°C maximum and no chance of rain.

Agenda: take The Patient out to Rainbow Shores again, to walk some distance along the concrete path in the forest back to town. Yesterday she walked 650 steps out before returning, a significant improvement on 500 steps the day before. Try to get a few things done that should have been done in the last week but weren’t because of the oppressive weather.

Great news about the increased steps by The Patient! Is dea-scéal é seo i ndáiríre! (This is really good news!)

The weather had been dreadful!

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:47:08
From: ms spock
ID: 1991373
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Michael V said:

Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light breezes gusting to moderate, 24.0°C and 67% RH. The oppressive, energy-sapping mugginess of the last week has finally gone. BoM forecasts 29°C maximum and no chance of rain.

Agenda: take The Patient out to Rainbow Shores again, to walk some distance along the concrete path in the forest back to town. Yesterday she walked 650 steps out before returning, a significant improvement on 500 steps the day before. Try to get a few things done that should have been done in the last week but weren’t because of the oppressive weather.


Morning all.
23°, 6/8 cloud. Nothing further to report.

Dia duit Tamb!

Tá sé go deas tú a léamh inniu! (It is good to read you today!)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:51:02
From: ms spock
ID: 1991375
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

I’ll be here.

It is always good to know that Sarah’s Mum. :)

+1

Daoine a bheith acu le bheith in éineacht leo agus a bheith ag caitheamh aimsire leo. Is mór an saibhreas go deimhin Tamb!
(To have folks to be with and hang out with. Is a great richness indeed Tamb!)

Tá an t-ádh linn Tamb!
(We are so lucky Tamb!)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:51:31
From: Tamb
ID: 1991376
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

Michael V said:

Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light breezes gusting to moderate, 24.0°C and 67% RH. The oppressive, energy-sapping mugginess of the last week has finally gone. BoM forecasts 29°C maximum and no chance of rain.

Agenda: take The Patient out to Rainbow Shores again, to walk some distance along the concrete path in the forest back to town. Yesterday she walked 650 steps out before returning, a significant improvement on 500 steps the day before. Try to get a few things done that should have been done in the last week but weren’t because of the oppressive weather.


Morning all.
23°, 6/8 cloud. Nothing further to report.

Dia duit Tamb!

Tá sé go deas tú a léamh inniu! (It is good to read you today!)


Agus a bhean dhil

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:56:31
From: ms spock
ID: 1991379
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

We’re going to wrap up the blog for today but here’s the current update on what’s happened.

Rescue efforts are underway in Türkiye and Syria Death toll is expected to rise according to World Health Organization, it’s currently sitting at more than 1,300 There were two earthquakes, one registering at 7.8 magnitude over night and a second on Monday afternoon registering at 7.6 More than 45 countries have offered assistance and aid

:(

Na daoine bochta, bochta sin! (Those poor, poor people!)

:(

“At least now, no one is going to bomb us as we work.”

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-07/who-expects-death-toll-from-earthquake-to-rise/101938426

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 09:58:47
From: ms spock
ID: 1991381
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


ms spock said:

Arts said:

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it..

If you don’t mind me asking what are you writing about Arts? I am curious to know!

spocky, not bedtime reading.

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-030-98711-4_16-1

Oh wow!

***beams proudly***

Sin éacht!
(What an accomplishment!)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 10:02:24
From: ms spock
ID: 1991383
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


monkey skipper said:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/vic-magistrate-stood-down-after-fresh-complaint/ar-AA178XrU?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=c52bb36189e24f49b0e4e8f7899b0974

Vic magistrate stood down after fresh complaint.

Story by Emily Woods • Yesterday 12:50 pm
7 Comments

A Victorian magistrate who previously made comments about a rape victim experiencing “buyer’s remorse” has been stood down following a new complaint about his behaviour.

A Victorian magistrate has been stood down after a fresh complaint.

Magistrate Richard Pithouse, who was appointed to the bench in 2008, was previously investigated for his comments to a rape victim and was also before a court charged with a driving offence.

He was spared a conviction when put on a diversion program after failing to immediately stop after he smashed into the back of a parked car and drove off in 2017.

Then, in 2018, Mr Pithouse suggested a rape victim had experienced “buyer’s remorse” during a compensation claim, after being told she called a sexual assault crisis line the morning after the incident.

He also remarked “intoxication is not an excuse for the purposes of the Tribunal” and said the woman had “put herself in that position”.

The Judicial Commission of Victoria investigated and found the remarks were highly inappropriate and insensitive.

The victim said she was left devastated by the comments and did not think he deserved to keep his job.

But he kept his position and in 2021 the commission recommended the magistrate instead be personally counselled by Chief Magistrate Lisa Hannan over his conduct.

A fresh complaint was lodged about Mr Pithouse’s in-court behaviour in September last year, the commission said on Monday.

Details about the new complaint have not yet been revealed.

The commission recommended the magistrate be stood down from office in light of the complaint as it could amount to “proved misbehaviour or incapacity of the officer”.

If he remained in the role, the commission said it would likely impair public confidence in Mr Pithouse or the court’s impartiality, independence or integrity.

Ms Hannan agreed to stand Mr Pithouse down until further notice, preventing him from performing functions in an open court.

The standing down does not affect his salary, allowances or entitlements.

The fresh complaint was referred to an investigating panel in December 2022 and the investigation is ongoing, the commission said.

“As the investigation is ongoing, the commission will not be commenting further at this time,” it said.

In the family court there was a judge that said – even given sexual abuse by a parent – that didn’t mean that parent could not have unsupervised access. It caused a bit of an uproar at the time. His paragraph was in law textbooks at the time. I have to find that again. I think Jess Hill wrote about it.

These comments are the norm though and not the exception. I did a ton of court support. You become cynical, jaded and desentised to it all. The training has to start in Law School. Trauma and it’s effects should be taught in Law School.

OMG!

I missed the point monkey skipper!

He is being held accountable! This is a cause for celebration! This is amazing!

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 10:04:35
From: ms spock
ID: 1991386
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

monkey skipper said:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/vic-magistrate-stood-down-after-fresh-complaint/ar-AA178XrU?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=c52bb36189e24f49b0e4e8f7899b0974

Vic magistrate stood down after fresh complaint.

Story by Emily Woods • Yesterday 12:50 pm
7 Comments

A Victorian magistrate who previously made comments about a rape victim experiencing “buyer’s remorse” has been stood down following a new complaint about his behaviour.

A Victorian magistrate has been stood down after a fresh complaint.

Magistrate Richard Pithouse, who was appointed to the bench in 2008, was previously investigated for his comments to a rape victim and was also before a court charged with a driving offence.

He was spared a conviction when put on a diversion program after failing to immediately stop after he smashed into the back of a parked car and drove off in 2017.

Then, in 2018, Mr Pithouse suggested a rape victim had experienced “buyer’s remorse” during a compensation claim, after being told she called a sexual assault crisis line the morning after the incident.

He also remarked “intoxication is not an excuse for the purposes of the Tribunal” and said the woman had “put herself in that position”.

The Judicial Commission of Victoria investigated and found the remarks were highly inappropriate and insensitive.

The victim said she was left devastated by the comments and did not think he deserved to keep his job.

But he kept his position and in 2021 the commission recommended the magistrate instead be personally counselled by Chief Magistrate Lisa Hannan over his conduct.

A fresh complaint was lodged about Mr Pithouse’s in-court behaviour in September last year, the commission said on Monday.

Details about the new complaint have not yet been revealed.

The commission recommended the magistrate be stood down from office in light of the complaint as it could amount to “proved misbehaviour or incapacity of the officer”.

If he remained in the role, the commission said it would likely impair public confidence in Mr Pithouse or the court’s impartiality, independence or integrity.

Ms Hannan agreed to stand Mr Pithouse down until further notice, preventing him from performing functions in an open court.

The standing down does not affect his salary, allowances or entitlements.

The fresh complaint was referred to an investigating panel in December 2022 and the investigation is ongoing, the commission said.

“As the investigation is ongoing, the commission will not be commenting further at this time,” it said.

In the family court there was a judge that said – even given sexual abuse by a parent – that didn’t mean that parent could not have unsupervised access. It caused a bit of an uproar at the time. His paragraph was in law textbooks at the time. I have to find that again. I think Jess Hill wrote about it.

These comments are the norm though and not the exception. I did a ton of court support. You become cynical, jaded and desentised to it all. The training has to start in Law School. Trauma and it’s effects should be taught in Law School.

Dick Pithouse. It is like his parent’s knew..

Bastard! But a bastard not getting away with it. This is a huge sign of a significan cultural shift!

Go raigh maith agait for that monkey skipper! I will sent it out to the folks this will be very meaningful to!

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 10:14:38
From: ms spock
ID: 1991391
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

Morning all.
23°, 6/8 cloud. Nothing further to report.

Dia duit Tamb!

Tá sé go deas tú a léamh inniu! (It is good to read you today!)


Agus a bhean dhil

And his wife Dill?

I ran this through google translate english to irish and that is what I got. Can you tell me a little more Tamb? Who is Dill and what is her/his husband like?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 10:18:25
From: Tamb
ID: 1991393
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

Dia duit Tamb!

Tá sé go deas tú a léamh inniu! (It is good to read you today!)


Agus a bhean dhil

And his wife Dill?

I ran this through google translate english to irish and that is what I got. Can you tell me a little more Tamb? Who is Dill and what is her/his husband like?


The translator took the meaning of the word lady to mean wife not simply lady as in “dear lady”

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 10:35:47
From: Michael V
ID: 1991396
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Michael V said:

Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light breezes gusting to moderate, 24.0°C and 67% RH. The oppressive, energy-sapping mugginess of the last week has finally gone. BoM forecasts 29°C maximum and no chance of rain.

Agenda: take The Patient out to Rainbow Shores again, to walk some distance along the concrete path in the forest back to town. Yesterday she walked 650 steps out before returning, a significant improvement on 500 steps the day before. Try to get a few things done that should have been done in the last week but weren’t because of the oppressive weather.


That’s good news. :)

813 steps out today. Bought some groceries on the way back home.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 10:40:01
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991398
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light breezes gusting to moderate, 24.0°C and 67% RH. The oppressive, energy-sapping mugginess of the last week has finally gone. BoM forecasts 29°C maximum and no chance of rain.

Agenda: take The Patient out to Rainbow Shores again, to walk some distance along the concrete path in the forest back to town. Yesterday she walked 650 steps out before returning, a significant improvement on 500 steps the day before. Try to get a few things done that should have been done in the last week but weren’t because of the oppressive weather.


That’s good news. :)

813 steps out today. Bought some groceries on the way back home.

Ah. She’s on the mend. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 10:42:46
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991399
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light breezes gusting to moderate, 24.0°C and 67% RH. The oppressive, energy-sapping mugginess of the last week has finally gone. BoM forecasts 29°C maximum and no chance of rain.

Agenda: take The Patient out to Rainbow Shores again, to walk some distance along the concrete path in the forest back to town. Yesterday she walked 650 steps out before returning, a significant improvement on 500 steps the day before. Try to get a few things done that should have been done in the last week but weren’t because of the oppressive weather.


That’s good news. :)

813 steps out today. Bought some groceries on the way back home.

She’ll be running soon.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 10:43:50
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991400
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Yoday will involve some mowing and some navel gazing.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 10:43:51
From: Woodie
ID: 1991401
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Nom noms…. 🍸🍸 ….. and ize got me a bottle!!

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 10:46:17
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991402
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Yoday will involve some mowing and some navel gazing.

Did Yoda say he’d be involved?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 10:47:40
From: Tamb
ID: 1991404
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Yoday will involve some mowing and some navel gazing.

Did Yoda say he’d be involved?

No. Victa.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 10:56:50
From: Cymek
ID: 1991405
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Greetings

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 10:58:00
From: Tamb
ID: 1991406
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Greetings

G’day.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 11:16:23
From: transition
ID: 1991408
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

i’ll makes me own coffee, don’t you be troublin’ now, keeps ya arse on that arsepark

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 11:17:38
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991409
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

No photos of the crashed water bomber in WA as yet?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 11:23:05
From: Tamb
ID: 1991410
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


No photos of the crashed water bomber in WA as yet?

This is all I could find:

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 11:32:27
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991414
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Peak Warming Man said:

No photos of the crashed water bomber in WA as yet?

This is all I could find:

The ABC did find a proper photo to put on their news page but not of the plane after it crashed.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 11:44:26
From: Michael V
ID: 1991417
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

That’s good news. :)

813 steps out today. Bought some groceries on the way back home.

She’ll be running soon.

That I seriously doubt. She couldn’t run properly before. She walks faster than she runs, because her running technique is so odd.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 11:45:19
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991419
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Michael V said:

813 steps out today. Bought some groceries on the way back home.

She’ll be running soon.

That I seriously doubt. She couldn’t run properly before. She walks faster than she runs, because her running technique is so odd.

and it is too late to learn anew.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 11:45:29
From: Michael V
ID: 1991420
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Nom noms…. 🍸🍸 ….. and ize got me a bottle!!


It’s a good-un?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 11:56:20
From: Kingy
ID: 1991423
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


No photos of the crashed water bomber in WA as yet?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 11:59:01
From: Kingy
ID: 1991425
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

No photos of the crashed water bomber in WA as yet?

Rumour is they lost an engine, but I have nothing to back that up.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:00:36
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991426
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

No photos of the crashed water bomber in WA as yet?

I imagine it’ll take quite a while, but it’ll be interesting to learn the cause(s) of the crash.

In that sort of country, it seems unlikely that terrain played a big part. So, technical failures? Pilot error?

At least the two chaps seem to have survived without major injury, and (AFAIK) no-one on the ground was hurt.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:01:01
From: Tamb
ID: 1991427
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Kingy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

No photos of the crashed water bomber in WA as yet?

Rumour is they lost an engine, but I have nothing to back that up.


So ironic that a firefighting device is on fire.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:03:40
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991428
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Kingy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

No photos of the crashed water bomber in WA as yet?

Rumour is they lost an engine, but I have nothing to back that up.

If an engine was actually lost i.e. fell off, that’s one thing.

But, as i remarked a few days back, the ‘loss’ of an engine through it ceasing to function is another. Forumites reassured me that today’s two-engine aircraft could handle difficulties with only one of the more powerful modern engines, but…

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:06:46
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991430
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

No photos of the crashed water bomber in WA as yet?

Not much of it left then.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:08:26
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991432
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Kingy said:

Kingy said:

Rumour is they lost an engine, but I have nothing to back that up.

If an engine was actually lost i.e. fell off, that’s one thing.

But, as i remarked a few days back, the ‘loss’ of an engine through it ceasing to function is another. Forumites reassured me that today’s two-engine aircraft could handle difficulties with only one of the more powerful modern engines, but…

Not easily at very low altitudes.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:14:03
From: Cymek
ID: 1991433
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Kingy said:

Kingy said:

Rumour is they lost an engine, but I have nothing to back that up.

If an engine was actually lost i.e. fell off, that’s one thing.

But, as i remarked a few days back, the ‘loss’ of an engine through it ceasing to function is another. Forumites reassured me that today’s two-engine aircraft could handle difficulties with only one of the more powerful modern engines, but…

It was arriving with water ?
Unbalanced ?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:15:04
From: Tamb
ID: 1991434
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Kingy said:

Kingy said:

Rumour is they lost an engine, but I have nothing to back that up.

If an engine was actually lost i.e. fell off, that’s one thing.

But, as i remarked a few days back, the ‘loss’ of an engine through it ceasing to function is another. Forumites reassured me that today’s two-engine aircraft could handle difficulties with only one of the more powerful modern engines, but…

Bit too much to cut & paste but a good read: How controllable is the 737 in single-engine manual-reversion flight? Is it controllably landable (or go-around-able) in this condition?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:20:28
From: Kingy
ID: 1991436
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Kingy said:

Kingy said:

Rumour is they lost an engine, but I have nothing to back that up.

If an engine was actually lost i.e. fell off, that’s one thing.

But, as i remarked a few days back, the ‘loss’ of an engine through it ceasing to function is another. Forumites reassured me that today’s two-engine aircraft could handle difficulties with only one of the more powerful modern engines, but…

Bills the man for these questions, but I think those engines can flame out if they get a gutful of very hot and deoxygenated smoke plume. They are only a few hundred feet above the ground and that doesn’t leave much time to spool up the second engine.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:22:32
From: Woodie
ID: 1991437
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Woodie said:

Nom noms…. 🍸🍸 ….. and ize got me a bottle!!


It’s a good-un?

Got it down south. On the weekend. Sunday spent at https://www.northofeden.com.au/ after nephew’s wedding on Saturday.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:27:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991439
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


captain_spalding said:

Kingy said:

Rumour is they lost an engine, but I have nothing to back that up.

If an engine was actually lost i.e. fell off, that’s one thing.

But, as i remarked a few days back, the ‘loss’ of an engine through it ceasing to function is another. Forumites reassured me that today’s two-engine aircraft could handle difficulties with only one of the more powerful modern engines, but…

It was arriving with water ?
Unbalanced ?

Again another big difficulty at low altitudes.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:27:19
From: Michael V
ID: 1991440
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


captain_spalding said:

Kingy said:

Rumour is they lost an engine, but I have nothing to back that up.

If an engine was actually lost i.e. fell off, that’s one thing.

But, as i remarked a few days back, the ‘loss’ of an engine through it ceasing to function is another. Forumites reassured me that today’s two-engine aircraft could handle difficulties with only one of the more powerful modern engines, but…

Bills the man for these questions, but I think those engines can flame out if they get a gutful of very hot and deoxygenated smoke plume. They are only a few hundred feet above the ground and that doesn’t leave much time to spool up the second engine.

Sounds very plausible.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:28:09
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991441
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


captain_spalding said:

Kingy said:

Rumour is they lost an engine, but I have nothing to back that up.

If an engine was actually lost i.e. fell off, that’s one thing.

But, as i remarked a few days back, the ‘loss’ of an engine through it ceasing to function is another. Forumites reassured me that today’s two-engine aircraft could handle difficulties with only one of the more powerful modern engines, but…

Bills the man for these questions, but I think those engines can flame out if they get a gutful of very hot and deoxygenated smoke plume. They are only a few hundred feet above the ground and that doesn’t leave much time to spool up the second engine.

This is a very likely scenario.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:29:41
From: Woodie
ID: 1991443
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


captain_spalding said:

Kingy said:

Rumour is they lost an engine, but I have nothing to back that up.

If an engine was actually lost i.e. fell off, that’s one thing.

But, as i remarked a few days back, the ‘loss’ of an engine through it ceasing to function is another. Forumites reassured me that today’s two-engine aircraft could handle difficulties with only one of the more powerful modern engines, but…

It was arriving with water ?
Unbalanced ?

If it was full of water then it would have put the fire out.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:31:02
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991444
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Cymek said:

captain_spalding said:

If an engine was actually lost i.e. fell off, that’s one thing.

But, as i remarked a few days back, the ‘loss’ of an engine through it ceasing to function is another. Forumites reassured me that today’s two-engine aircraft could handle difficulties with only one of the more powerful modern engines, but…

It was arriving with water ?
Unbalanced ?

If it was full of water then it would have put the fire out.

Burning fuel floats on water.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:31:08
From: buffy
ID: 1991445
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy, do you know if they were Australian or international pilots?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:33:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991446
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Kingy, do you know if they were Australian or international pilots?

They were part of the Coulson team. Is all the news has said.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:34:28
From: Michael V
ID: 1991447
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Michael V said:

Woodie said:

Nom noms…. 🍸🍸 ….. and ize got me a bottle!!


It’s a good-un?

Got it down south. On the weekend. Sunday spent at https://www.northofeden.com.au/ after nephew’s wedding on Saturday.

Cool!

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:38:43
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991450
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Woodie said:

Michael V said:

It’s a good-un?

Got it down south. On the weekend. Sunday spent at https://www.northofeden.com.au/ after nephew’s wedding on Saturday.

Cool!

:)

Were any oysters harmed during its production?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:38:44
From: Woodie
ID: 1991451
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Since when did i become Türkiye?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:39:46
From: Cymek
ID: 1991452
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Since when did i become Türkiye?

Last year I think, they changed it as they were sick of Turkey/turkey jokes

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:40:19
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991454
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Since when did i become Türkiye?

Not long ago.
https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022/06/28/turkey-is-now-turkiye-what-other-countries-have-changed-their-name

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:40:55
From: Cymek
ID: 1991456
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Woodie said:

Since when did i become Türkiye?

Last year I think, they changed it as they were sick of Turkey/turkey jokes

https://flytrippers.com/turkey-name-change/#:~:text=Turkish%20President%20Recep%20Tayyip%20Erdo%C4%9Fan,shocked%20about%20the%20name%20change.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:41:06
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991457
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Woodie said:

Since when did i become Türkiye?

Last year I think, they changed it as they were sick of Turkey/turkey jokes

Maybe they got sick of being pardonned every now and then by an American president.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:41:13
From: Woodie
ID: 1991458
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Since when did i become Türkiye?

About the same time it became Keeeev?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:41:45
From: Michael V
ID: 1991459
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Since when did i become Türkiye?

You didn’t.

The country asked the international community to spell it correctly (Türkiye) a couple of years back.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:43:29
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991460
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Cymek said:

Woodie said:

Since when did i become Türkiye?

Last year I think, they changed it as they were sick of Turkey/turkey jokes

https://flytrippers.com/turkey-name-change/#:~:text=Turkish%20President%20Recep%20Tayyip%20Erdo%C4%9Fan,shocked%20about%20the%20name%20change.

Must have been a Queenslander: Turkey eh.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:44:08
From: Kingy
ID: 1991461
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Kingy, do you know if they were Australian or international pilots?

Fairly sure they were Coulson pilots from Canada. Not certain though.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:44:30
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991462
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Woodie said:

Since when did i become Türkiye?

You didn’t.

The country asked the international community to spell it correctly (Türkiye) a couple of years back.

Dropping all the anglicisations over time since the British Empire shrunk.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:46:58
From: buffy
ID: 1991464
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Thank you. I cared for the vision of one of the pilots who worked internationally, but he was Australian. He may not still be flying the water bombers now though.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:47:02
From: Kingy
ID: 1991465
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Since when did i become Türkiye?

It was Turkey until yesterday then a massive earthquake jumbled up the letters.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:47:10
From: kii
ID: 1991466
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A great week with Gracie reacting to prednisone, which didn’t happen last time she was on it. Apparently it can cause anxiety, so the vet prescribed her gabapentin. There’s nothing worse than your gorgeous nutcase dog standing in the dark staring at the floor.

Then this morning Pom Pom, the feral standard poodle, wanted to mount her as we attempted to go for our walk. Gracie was completely zoned out and barely registering the planet we were attempting to walk on..

Pom’s owner is hopeless at controlling his dog. Plus Pom Pom had diarrhoea all down his back legs from eating a burrito yesterday.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:47:21
From: dv
ID: 1991467
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Since when did i become Türkiye?

We respect your choices.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:48:25
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991469
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Woodie said:

Since when did i become Türkiye?

It was Turkey until yesterday then a massive earthquake jumbled up the letters.

Points given.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 12:53:19
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991470
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Since when did i become Türkiye?

A while back some journo discovered that an alternative to Governor Generals was Governors General.
Well didn’t they go nuts with it

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:13:07
From: Kingy
ID: 1991473
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Just finished installing a new CB radio in the Ute.

I’d best do some actual work now. This is the sandpit I was at yesterday.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:19:20
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991475
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Just finished installing a new CB radio in the Ute.

I’d best do some actual work now. This is the sandpit I was at yesterday.


Roger.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:20:22
From: Cymek
ID: 1991476
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Just finished installing a new CB radio in the Ute.

I’d best do some actual work now. This is the sandpit I was at yesterday.


Do you have a call sign say Poppa Bear or the Kingmeister

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:21:29
From: Cymek
ID: 1991477
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Didn’t realise the payload on the Chinese accidently drifting over the Unites States weather balloon was so big, no wonder they were loath to shoot it down.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:23:12
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991479
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Didn’t realise the payload on the Chinese accidently drifting over the Unites States weather balloon was so big, no wonder they were loath to shoot it down.

The payload itself was the size of three buses.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:24:41
From: Cymek
ID: 1991480
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Cymek said:

Didn’t realise the payload on the Chinese accidently drifting over the Unites States weather balloon was so big, no wonder they were loath to shoot it down.

The payload itself was the size of three buses.

Yes

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:25:26
From: Woodie
ID: 1991481
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Woodie said:

Since when did i become Türkiye?

A while back some journo discovered that an alternative to Governor Generals was Governors General.
Well didn’t they go nuts with it

Wait til they discover the very model of a modern Major-General.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:27:04
From: Michael V
ID: 1991482
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Didn’t realise the payload on the Chinese accidently drifting over the Unites States weather balloon was so big, no wonder they were loath to shoot it down.

ref?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:27:56
From: Woodie
ID: 1991483
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Just finished installing a new CB radio in the Ute.

What would happen if I accidentally pushed that big red button?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:29:51
From: Kingy
ID: 1991485
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Kingy said:

Just finished installing a new CB radio in the Ute.

What would happen if I accidentally pushed that big red button?

The trailer brakes would release. Not very exciting unless you are parked on a hill.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:30:41
From: Michael V
ID: 1991487
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Woodie said:

Since when did i become Türkiye?

A while back some journo discovered that an alternative to Governor Generals was Governors General.
Well didn’t they go nuts with it

Wait til they discover the very model of a modern Major-General.

They might have to go to Penzance to discover it though.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:30:57
From: Cymek
ID: 1991488
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Cymek said:

Didn’t realise the payload on the Chinese accidently drifting over the Unites States weather balloon was so big, no wonder they were loath to shoot it down.

ref?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_China_balloon_incident

The balloon carried an underslung payload described as a “technology bay” estimated to be the size of “two or three school buses”, and was powered by solar panels mounted on the payload. The envelope of the balloon itself was “much larger”, according to a U.S. official cited by CBS News. The same official described the craft as featuring a rudder for limited steering. Years earlier in Japan, a balloon with a cross-shaped payload bay was reported, adding two propellers mounted on the side of the chassis, possibly for more controllability. It is unknown whether the balloon that overflew North America featured propulsion.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:31:03
From: Kingy
ID: 1991489
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Kingy said:

Just finished installing a new CB radio in the Ute.

I’d best do some actual work now. This is the sandpit I was at yesterday.


Do you have a call sign say Poppa Bear or the Kingmeister

Umm, usually just “6 wheeler” or “Truck”.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:32:34
From: Woodie
ID: 1991490
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Woodie said:

Kingy said:

Just finished installing a new CB radio in the Ute.

What would happen if I accidentally pushed that big red button?

The trailer brakes would release. Not very exciting unless you are parked on a hill.

Ah…. so the world would not get blown to bits then?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:33:09
From: Michael V
ID: 1991492
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Michael V said:

Cymek said:

Didn’t realise the payload on the Chinese accidently drifting over the Unites States weather balloon was so big, no wonder they were loath to shoot it down.

ref?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_China_balloon_incident

The balloon carried an underslung payload described as a “technology bay” estimated to be the size of “two or three school buses”, and was powered by solar panels mounted on the payload. The envelope of the balloon itself was “much larger”, according to a U.S. official cited by CBS News. The same official described the craft as featuring a rudder for limited steering. Years earlier in Japan, a balloon with a cross-shaped payload bay was reported, adding two propellers mounted on the side of the chassis, possibly for more controllability. It is unknown whether the balloon that overflew North America featured propulsion.

Thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:33:46
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991493
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Kingy said:

Woodie said:

What would happen if I accidentally pushed that big red button?

The trailer brakes would release. Not very exciting unless you are parked on a hill.

Ah…. so the world would not get blown to bits then?

That’s ony in Dr Who.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:35:04
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991495
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“Despite the large size of the aircraft involved, it is understood both men only suffered minor injuries.”

If it was an Antonov Heavy Lift they wouldn’t have survived because they are rooly rooly big.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:42:53
From: Kingy
ID: 1991496
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Michael V said:

Cymek said:

Didn’t realise the payload on the Chinese accidently drifting over the Unites States weather balloon was so big, no wonder they were loath to shoot it down.

ref?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_China_balloon_incident

The balloon carried an underslung payload described as a “technology bay” estimated to be the size of “two or three school buses”, and was powered by solar panels mounted on the payload. The envelope of the balloon itself was “much larger”, according to a U.S. official cited by CBS News. The same official described the craft as featuring a rudder for limited steering. Years earlier in Japan, a balloon with a cross-shaped payload bay was reported, adding two propellers mounted on the side of the chassis, possibly for more controllability. It is unknown whether the balloon that overflew North America featured propulsion.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 13:45:50
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1991498
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Since when did i become Türkiye?

Don’t know.

I didn’t even know you were a country.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 14:06:19
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1991507
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Madagascar’s sacred baobab trees have gradually taken root farther northward as deforestation and climate change have hit.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 14:18:44
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991512
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Arts said:

Peak Warming Man said:

BREAKING

Reports are coming in from PWM at Bunnings that trollies wheels are locked on shopping escalators.

that should keep the US politicians busy enough to ignore gun control and public health for another week or two..

You have Bunnings with escalators?

Of such thing, we rustics in the provinces might dream, but never dare hope to see.

Yeth, Bunnings at Manly West is three stories.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 14:25:21
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991513
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


captain_spalding said:

Arts said:

that should keep the US politicians busy enough to ignore gun control and public health for another week or two..

You have Bunnings with escalators?

Of such thing, we rustics in the provinces might dream, but never dare hope to see.

Yeth, Bunnings at Manly West is three stories.

Trolly compliant escalators.. What will they think of next?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 14:32:16
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991514
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

captain_spalding said:

You have Bunnings with escalators?

Of such thing, we rustics in the provinces might dream, but never dare hope to see.

Yeth, Bunnings at Manly West is three stories.

Trolly compliant escalators.. What will they think of next?

Oh, i’ve seen them, even in the benighted backblocks of regional Qld.

The rims on the hard plastic wheels of the trolleys engage with the metal grid of the ‘travelling walkway’ (not an ‘escalator’ as such) so as to prevent the trolley moving without definite effort from the shopper.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 14:35:48
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991515
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Yeth, Bunnings at Manly West is three stories.

Trolly compliant escalators.. What will they think of next?

Oh, i’ve seen them, even in the benighted backblocks of regional Qld.

The rims on the hard plastic wheels of the trolleys engage with the metal grid of the ‘travelling walkway’ (not an ‘escalator’ as such) so as to prevent the trolley moving without definite effort from the shopper.

Yeah. I get that. However, this could also promote problems at the end for many. unless a clever engineer provided a built in solution. ;)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 14:38:21
From: Tamb
ID: 1991516
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


captain_spalding said:

roughbarked said:

Trolly compliant escalators.. What will they think of next?

Oh, i’ve seen them, even in the benighted backblocks of regional Qld.

The rims on the hard plastic wheels of the trolleys engage with the metal grid of the ‘travelling walkway’ (not an ‘escalator’ as such) so as to prevent the trolley moving without definite effort from the shopper.

Yeah. I get that. However, this could also promote problems at the end for many. unless a clever engineer provided a built in solution. ;)

A ramp under the walkway which lifts the wheels free.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 14:39:03
From: Cymek
ID: 1991517
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


captain_spalding said:

roughbarked said:

Trolly compliant escalators.. What will they think of next?

Oh, i’ve seen them, even in the benighted backblocks of regional Qld.

The rims on the hard plastic wheels of the trolleys engage with the metal grid of the ‘travelling walkway’ (not an ‘escalator’ as such) so as to prevent the trolley moving without definite effort from the shopper.

Yeah. I get that. However, this could also promote problems at the end for many. unless a clever engineer provided a built in solution. ;)

They unlock as it gets to the top and normal flooring takes over

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 14:39:16
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991518
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

Oh, i’ve seen them, even in the benighted backblocks of regional Qld.

The rims on the hard plastic wheels of the trolleys engage with the metal grid of the ‘travelling walkway’ (not an ‘escalator’ as such) so as to prevent the trolley moving without definite effort from the shopper.

Yeah. I get that. However, this could also promote problems at the end for many. unless a clever engineer provided a built in solution. ;)

A ramp under the walkway which lifts the wheels free.

^ a clever engineering type brain at work. ;)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 14:40:35
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991519
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

Oh, i’ve seen them, even in the benighted backblocks of regional Qld.

The rims on the hard plastic wheels of the trolleys engage with the metal grid of the ‘travelling walkway’ (not an ‘escalator’ as such) so as to prevent the trolley moving without definite effort from the shopper.

Yeah. I get that. However, this could also promote problems at the end for many. unless a clever engineer provided a built in solution. ;)

They unlock as it gets to the top and normal flooring takes over

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 14:40:42
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991520
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Me, I would have told Erdogan where to go:

In December 2021, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan issued a circular, calling for exports to be labelled “Made in Türkiye”. The circular also stated that in relation to other governmental communications, the “necessary sensitivity will be shown on the use of the phrase ‘Türkiye’ instead of phrases such as ‘Turkey’, ‘Türkei’, ‘Turquie’ etc.” The reason given in the circular for preferring Türkiye was that it “represents and expresses the culture, civilisation, and values of the Turkish nation in the best way”.

According to Turkish state broadcaster TRT World, it was also to avoid a pejorative association with turkey, the bird. It was reported in January 2022 that the government planned to register Türkiye with the United Nations. Minister of Foreign Affairs Mevlüt Çavusoglu sent letters to the UN and other international organisations on 31 May 2022, requesting that they use Türkiye. The UN agreed and implemented the request immediately. The United States Department of State officially began using Türkiye in January 2023.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey#Name

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 14:43:31
From: Tamb
ID: 1991522
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tamb said:

roughbarked said:

Yeah. I get that. However, this could also promote problems at the end for many. unless a clever engineer provided a built in solution. ;)

A ramp under the walkway which lifts the wheels free.

^ a clever engineering type brain at work. ;)


Any engineering smarts I possess come from my father.
He finished his working life in the Qantas tech school teaching other engineers.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 14:43:49
From: Cymek
ID: 1991523
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Me, I would have told Erdogan where to go:

In December 2021, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan issued a circular, calling for exports to be labelled “Made in Türkiye”. The circular also stated that in relation to other governmental communications, the “necessary sensitivity will be shown on the use of the phrase ‘Türkiye’ instead of phrases such as ‘Turkey’, ‘Türkei’, ‘Turquie’ etc.” The reason given in the circular for preferring Türkiye was that it “represents and expresses the culture, civilisation, and values of the Turkish nation in the best way”.

According to Turkish state broadcaster TRT World, it was also to avoid a pejorative association with turkey, the bird. It was reported in January 2022 that the government planned to register Türkiye with the United Nations. Minister of Foreign Affairs Mevlüt Çavusoglu sent letters to the UN and other international organisations on 31 May 2022, requesting that they use Türkiye. The UN agreed and implemented the request immediately. The United States Department of State officially began using Türkiye in January 2023.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey#Name

At the Internet does lots of memes about changing the turkey birds name to match

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 14:45:09
From: Michael V
ID: 1991524
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Yeth, Bunnings at Manly West is three stories.

Trolly compliant escalators.. What will they think of next?

Oh, i’ve seen them, even in the benighted backblocks of regional Qld.

The rims on the hard plastic wheels of the trolleys engage with the metal grid of the ‘travelling walkway’ (not an ‘escalator’ as such) so as to prevent the trolley moving without definite effort from the shopper.

Braked supermarket trolley wheels (red) for travelators. Standard trolley wheel is grey.

The braked wheels’ rims drop into slots on the travelator, causing the brake to engage with the walkway.

https://www.fallshaw.com.au/product-range/castors/specialised-castors/supermarket-trolleys-and-travelator

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 14:45:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991525
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Bubblecar said:

Me, I would have told Erdogan where to go:

In December 2021, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan issued a circular, calling for exports to be labelled “Made in Türkiye”. The circular also stated that in relation to other governmental communications, the “necessary sensitivity will be shown on the use of the phrase ‘Türkiye’ instead of phrases such as ‘Turkey’, ‘Türkei’, ‘Turquie’ etc.” The reason given in the circular for preferring Türkiye was that it “represents and expresses the culture, civilisation, and values of the Turkish nation in the best way”.

According to Turkish state broadcaster TRT World, it was also to avoid a pejorative association with turkey, the bird. It was reported in January 2022 that the government planned to register Türkiye with the United Nations. Minister of Foreign Affairs Mevlüt Çavusoglu sent letters to the UN and other international organisations on 31 May 2022, requesting that they use Türkiye. The UN agreed and implemented the request immediately. The United States Department of State officially began using Türkiye in January 2023.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey#Name

At the Internet does lots of memes about changing the turkey birds name to match

That’s a bit cruel. Turkeys are probably relieved that they’re no longer associated with Erdogan.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 14:45:32
From: Tamb
ID: 1991526
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Bubblecar said:

Me, I would have told Erdogan where to go:

In December 2021, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan issued a circular, calling for exports to be labelled “Made in Türkiye”. The circular also stated that in relation to other governmental communications, the “necessary sensitivity will be shown on the use of the phrase ‘Türkiye’ instead of phrases such as ‘Turkey’, ‘Türkei’, ‘Turquie’ etc.” The reason given in the circular for preferring Türkiye was that it “represents and expresses the culture, civilisation, and values of the Turkish nation in the best way”.

According to Turkish state broadcaster TRT World, it was also to avoid a pejorative association with turkey, the bird. It was reported in January 2022 that the government planned to register Türkiye with the United Nations. Minister of Foreign Affairs Mevlüt Çavusoglu sent letters to the UN and other international organisations on 31 May 2022, requesting that they use Türkiye. The UN agreed and implemented the request immediately. The United States Department of State officially began using Türkiye in January 2023.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey#Name

At the Internet does lots of memes about changing the turkey birds name to match


Going cold Türkiye?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 14:57:40
From: Arts
ID: 1991528
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tamb said:

roughbarked said:

Yeah. I get that. However, this could also promote problems at the end for many. unless a clever engineer provided a built in solution. ;)

A ramp under the walkway which lifts the wheels free.

^ a clever engineering type brain at work. ;)

What a time to be alive.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 15:10:31
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991533
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


roughbarked said:

Tamb said:

A ramp under the walkway which lifts the wheels free.

^ a clever engineering type brain at work. ;)


Any engineering smarts I possess come from my father.
He finished his working life in the Qantas tech school teaching other engineers.

Inheritance is a part of life.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 15:11:07
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991534
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


captain_spalding said:

roughbarked said:

Trolly compliant escalators.. What will they think of next?

Oh, i’ve seen them, even in the benighted backblocks of regional Qld.

The rims on the hard plastic wheels of the trolleys engage with the metal grid of the ‘travelling walkway’ (not an ‘escalator’ as such) so as to prevent the trolley moving without definite effort from the shopper.

Braked supermarket trolley wheels (red) for travelators. Standard trolley wheel is grey.

The braked wheels’ rims drop into slots on the travelator, causing the brake to engage with the walkway.

https://www.fallshaw.com.au/product-range/castors/specialised-castors/supermarket-trolleys-and-travelator


Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 15:11:44
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991535
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Michael V said:

captain_spalding said:

Oh, i’ve seen them, even in the benighted backblocks of regional Qld.

The rims on the hard plastic wheels of the trolleys engage with the metal grid of the ‘travelling walkway’ (not an ‘escalator’ as such) so as to prevent the trolley moving without definite effort from the shopper.

Braked supermarket trolley wheels (red) for travelators. Standard trolley wheel is grey.

The braked wheels’ rims drop into slots on the travelator, causing the brake to engage with the walkway.

https://www.fallshaw.com.au/product-range/castors/specialised-castors/supermarket-trolleys-and-travelator


oops. Ta. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 15:31:47
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991540
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

‘Enormous’ coral find revealed off popular Sunshine Coast beaches
ABC Sunshine Coast
/ By Owen Jacques
An abundance of healthy, thriving coral along a heavily developed coastline — far beyond what the team expected — has been uncovered by divers and researchers.

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 15:33:35
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991541
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Google reveals AI search tech Bard, as Microsoft adds ChatGPT to Bing in the fight for search engine supremacy

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 16:21:46
From: transition
ID: 1991562
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dinner is creamy chicken noodle soup, cup of

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 16:24:16
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991563
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


dinner is creamy chicken noodle soup, cup of

A growing lad probably needs some bread dunked in that.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 16:26:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991564
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


transition said:

dinner is creamy chicken noodle soup, cup of

A growing lad probably needs some bread dunked in that.

+1.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 16:30:50
From: sibeen
ID: 1991566
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Elder sprog is cook tonight and as she’s just back from the supermarket she tells me that we’re having home made French onion soup with crusty bread.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 16:37:02
From: transition
ID: 1991568
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


transition said:

dinner is creamy chicken noodle soup, cup of

A growing lad probably needs some bread dunked in that.

did folded breads with butter on earlier today

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 16:38:02
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1991569
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Elder sprog is cook tonight and as she’s just back from the supermarket she tells me that we’re having home made French onion soup with crusty bread.

Won’t the soup be rather cold by the time she gets back from your home in France?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 16:40:55
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991571
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Elder sprog is cook tonight and as she’s just back from the supermarket she tells me that we’re having home made French onion soup with crusty bread.

Sounds good but what about protein?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 16:43:00
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991574
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


sibeen said:

Elder sprog is cook tonight and as she’s just back from the supermarket she tells me that we’re having home made French onion soup with crusty bread.

Won’t the soup be rather cold by the time she gets back from your home in France?

Vichyssoise?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 16:43:34
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991575
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sibeen said:

Elder sprog is cook tonight and as she’s just back from the supermarket she tells me that we’re having home made French onion soup with crusty bread.

Sounds good but what about protein?

It isn’t always a necessary component of every meal.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 16:43:50
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991576
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

It’s Matt number one’s birthday. I’ve prepared takeaway spag bog and little apricot tea cakes.

So I have dinner done for self. No brown food from the freezer tonight.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 16:44:37
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991577
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sibeen said:

Elder sprog is cook tonight and as she’s just back from the supermarket she tells me that we’re having home made French onion soup with crusty bread.

Sounds good but what about protein?

Should be in the stock.

When I make french onion soup I do it the day before.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 16:44:44
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991578
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


It’s Matt number one’s birthday. I’ve prepared takeaway spag bog and little apricot tea cakes.

So I have dinner done for self. No brown food from the freezer tonight.

Sounds good but what is Matt#1 eating?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 16:48:45
From: sibeen
ID: 1991581
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Elder sprog is cook tonight and as she’s just back from the supermarket she tells me that we’re having home made French onion soup with crusty bread.

Dear lord, she’s started cooking but is playing rather loud doof doof as an accompaniment.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 16:54:33
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991583
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


sibeen said:

Elder sprog is cook tonight and as she’s just back from the supermarket she tells me that we’re having home made French onion soup with crusty bread.

Dear lord, she’s started cooking but is playing rather loud doof doof as an accompaniment.

It is her way of stirring the soup?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 16:55:46
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991584
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Elder sprog is cook tonight and as she’s just back from the supermarket she tells me that we’re having home made French onion soup with crusty bread.

A growing lad probably needs some bread dunked in that.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 16:58:38
From: dv
ID: 1991585
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Can’t spell food without doof

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 16:59:43
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991586
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Can’t spell food without doof

anti food.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:00:29
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991587
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Can’t spell food without doof

Back and forth like a babe in a cradle.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:07:33
From: ms spock
ID: 1991591
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I tried to post to the Holiday Forum from an iPad and it wouldn’t let me.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:13:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991597
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

sibeen said:

Elder sprog is cook tonight and as she’s just back from the supermarket she tells me that we’re having home made French onion soup with crusty bread.

Sounds good but what about protein?

Should be in the stock.

When I make french onion soup I do it the day before.

I’ll sometimes serve it with cheese sandwiches.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:14:06
From: ms spock
ID: 1991598
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


It’s Matt number one’s birthday. I’ve prepared takeaway spag bog and little apricot tea cakes.

So I have dinner done for self. No brown food from the freezer tonight.

Breithla sona duit to Matt number one’s (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:14:29
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991599
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Sounds good but what about protein?

Should be in the stock.

When I make french onion soup I do it the day before.

I’ll sometimes serve it with cheese sandwiches.

Sounds quite cheesy.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:15:23
From: ms spock
ID: 1991600
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


sibeen said:

Elder sprog is cook tonight and as she’s just back from the supermarket she tells me that we’re having home made French onion soup with crusty bread.

Dear lord, she’s started cooking but is playing rather loud doof doof as an accompaniment.

:)

Does that mean you need a taster for your food? To be sure that the doof, doof has not poisoned the food?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:15:24
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991601
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


It’s Matt number one’s birthday. I’ve prepared takeaway spag bog and little apricot tea cakes.

So I have dinner done for self. No brown food from the freezer tonight.

Goodo.

I had a late lunch of eggmess so I’ll some kind of small dinner quite late.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:17:34
From: ms spock
ID: 1991602
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Sounds good but what about protein?

Should be in the stock.

When I make french onion soup I do it the day before.

I’ll sometimes serve it with cheese sandwiches.

Is ainmhithe cóisire fiáine sibh ar fad!
You are all wild party animals!

I love a good french onion dip! I must say!
Is breá liom snámh maith oinniún french! Caithfidh mé a rá!

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:22:17
From: ms spock
ID: 1991604
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

Agus a bhean dhil

And his wife Dill?

I ran this through google translate english to irish and that is what I got. Can you tell me a little more Tamb? Who is Dill and what is her/his husband like?


The translator took the meaning of the word lady to mean wife not simply lady as in “dear lady”

Aha! I am learning new things every day!

Even armed with dictionaries and google translate and other translators that actually do the four types of prounciation. I still struggle.

But it is exciting to have someone to share a few sentences of Irish with Tamb!

Do I remember correctly that you speak Indonesia as another language!

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:24:38
From: ms spock
ID: 1991606
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light breezes gusting to moderate, 24.0°C and 67% RH. The oppressive, energy-sapping mugginess of the last week has finally gone. BoM forecasts 29°C maximum and no chance of rain.

Agenda: take The Patient out to Rainbow Shores again, to walk some distance along the concrete path in the forest back to town. Yesterday she walked 650 steps out before returning, a significant improvement on 500 steps the day before. Try to get a few things done that should have been done in the last week but weren’t because of the oppressive weather.


That’s good news. :)

813 steps out today. Bought some groceries on the way back home.

Wow! 813 steps!

The patient is improving and making progress!

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:26:48
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991607
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Best eaten as an entree, after skinning and gutting fry in duck fat and serve on a skewer.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:34:10
From: ms spock
ID: 1991613
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

No photos of the crashed water bomber in WA as yet?

So were they friends of yours Kingy? Folks that you know?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:35:19
From: ms spock
ID: 1991614
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Kingy said:

Kingy said:

Rumour is they lost an engine, but I have nothing to back that up.


So ironic that a firefighting device is on fire.

It is Tamb!

It also feels a little bit unfair. The firefighters have been slammed for so many years in a row. And now this…

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:37:39
From: ms spock
ID: 1991616
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Best eaten as an entree, after skinning and gutting fry in duck fat and serve on a skewer.

You would never believe the people that would find them and bring them into WIRES or Wildcare. They are tiny little things. Not enough for an entree! And folks found them again and again. And would bring them in, and they survived. Such teeny little critters.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:43:30
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1991617
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

Kingy said:

Rumour is they lost an engine, but I have nothing to back that up.


So ironic that a firefighting device is on fire.

It is Tamb!

It also feels a little bit unfair. The firefighters have been slammed for so many years in a row. And now this…

Losing an engine shouldn’t cause a crash, they are certified to be able to climb away at max weight on a hot day on one engine. There must have been contributing factors.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:45:29
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991618
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Best eaten as an entree, after skinning and gutting fry in duck fat and serve on a skewer.

After all of the above, there is barely a tablespoon of delightful wanton murder to savour..

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:48:05
From: ms spock
ID: 1991622
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Didn’t realise the payload on the Chinese accidently drifting over the Unites States weather balloon was so big, no wonder they were loath to shoot it down.

Apparently it was as big as three buses. Not sure which standard unit of bus measurement they were referring to though.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:48:25
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991623
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

So ironic that a firefighting device is on fire.

It is Tamb!

It also feels a little bit unfair. The firefighters have been slammed for so many years in a row. And now this…

Losing an engine shouldn’t cause a crash, they are certified to be able to climb away at max weight on a hot day on one engine. There must have been contributing factors.

Like too close to the ground and hot ash in the intake?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:49:52
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991625
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Cymek said:

Didn’t realise the payload on the Chinese accidently drifting over the Unites States weather balloon was so big, no wonder they were loath to shoot it down.

Apparently it was as big as three buses. Not sure which standard unit of bus measurement they were referring to though.

Approx: 131.2335958 feet.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:50:45
From: ms spock
ID: 1991626
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Cymek said:

Michael V said:

ref?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_China_balloon_incident

The balloon carried an underslung payload described as a “technology bay” estimated to be the size of “two or three school buses”, and was powered by solar panels mounted on the payload. The envelope of the balloon itself was “much larger”, according to a U.S. official cited by CBS News. The same official described the craft as featuring a rudder for limited steering. Years earlier in Japan, a balloon with a cross-shaped payload bay was reported, adding two propellers mounted on the side of the chassis, possibly for more controllability. It is unknown whether the balloon that overflew North America featured propulsion.


LOL Did you do that yourself?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:51:56
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991629
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Kingy said:

Cymek said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_China_balloon_incident

The balloon carried an underslung payload described as a “technology bay” estimated to be the size of “two or three school buses”, and was powered by solar panels mounted on the payload. The envelope of the balloon itself was “much larger”, according to a U.S. official cited by CBS News. The same official described the craft as featuring a rudder for limited steering. Years earlier in Japan, a balloon with a cross-shaped payload bay was reported, adding two propellers mounted on the side of the chassis, possibly for more controllability. It is unknown whether the balloon that overflew North America featured propulsion.


LOL Did you do that yourself?

Nah.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:52:41
From: ms spock
ID: 1991630
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Madagascar’s sacred baobab trees have gradually taken root farther northward as deforestation and climate change have hit.

What a great photo. It is amazing how much things are changing.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:53:46
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991632
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


PermeateFree said:

Madagascar’s sacred baobab trees have gradually taken root farther northward as deforestation and climate change have hit.

What a great photo. It is amazing how much things are changing.

What is of constant amazement is the propensity for nature to adapt.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:58:04
From: Michael V
ID: 1991634
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Elder sprog is cook tonight and as she’s just back from the supermarket she tells me that we’re having home made French onion soup with crusty bread.

Sounds like a great entrée.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:58:53
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991635
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sibeen said:

Elder sprog is cook tonight and as she’s just back from the supermarket she tells me that we’re having home made French onion soup with crusty bread.

Sounds like a great entrée.

Sounds like the correct cut.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 17:59:26
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991636
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Smoked cod tonight, mixed in with some left over potato bake.
I reckon it will come up a treat.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 18:01:00
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991638
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Haven’t seen DO in a while.
Might have gone bush.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 18:01:02
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991639
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Smoked cod tonight, mixed in with some left over potato bake.
I reckon it will come up a treat.

If I smoked that it would likely come up as a treat.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 18:02:04
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1991640
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Woodie said:

Peak Warming Man said:

A while back some journo discovered that an alternative to Governor Generals was Governors General.
Well didn’t they go nuts with it

Wait til they discover the very model of a modern Major-General.

They might have to go to Penzance to discover it though.

Used to go on holidays there.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 18:02:11
From: sibeen
ID: 1991641
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Haven’t seen DO in a while.
Might have gone bush.

He’s decided to give the forum a miss.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 18:03:30
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991642
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Haven’t seen DO in a while.
Might have gone bush.

He’s decided to give the forum a miss.

Fair enough.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 18:03:38
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991643
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Haven’t seen DO in a while.
Might have gone bush.

He’s decided to give the forum a miss.

So we are a pack of dead ends?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 18:04:17
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991644
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


sibeen said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Haven’t seen DO in a while.
Might have gone bush.

He’s decided to give the forum a miss.

Fair enough.

Want something done? Ask a busy person.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 18:05:53
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991646
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

In defiance of the former government’s vow that he would never set foot on Australia soil, refugee and journalist Behrouz Boochani calls for a royal commission into immigration detention, as he stands in Parliament House. Link

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 18:08:55
From: Michael V
ID: 1991647
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Best eaten as an entree, after skinning and gutting fry in duck fat and serve on a skewer.

You’d want half a dozen per person as an entrée.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 18:10:55
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991648
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peter Foster best known for rogering Samantha Fox and being a professional cheat, cad and bounder is in trouble again.

“Self-described international man of mischief Peter Foster says he’s “not going away” after suffering a setback in an ownership row over a banned Australian racehorse.
“I have been in 21 jails in six countries – I don’t scare easy,” Mr Foster said.
The convicted conman is the agent for Benjamin Connolly Racing Trust (BCRT) which is seeking the return of former Group One winner Azkadellia in a multi-million dollar lawsuit.
Mr Foster alleges Azkadellia is illegally residing at a property of vehicle repair chain Ultra Tune’s boss Sean Buckley in Victoria.”

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 18:30:39
From: Woodie
ID: 1991651
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Smoked cod tonight, mixed in with some left over potato bake.
I reckon it will come up a treat.

A perfect dish for the microwave. Done in seconds.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 18:37:02
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991652
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Haven’t seen DO in a while.
Might have gone bush.

He’s decided to give the forum a miss.

That’s sad, I appreciated his Ukraine updates.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 18:40:15
From: Cymek
ID: 1991653
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sibeen said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Haven’t seen DO in a while.
Might have gone bush.

He’s decided to give the forum a miss.

That’s sad, I appreciated his Ukraine updates.

Probably planning his next evil scheme against his forum arch nemesis

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 18:45:00
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991654
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Matt number one was happily piicked up his dinner and cake. He told me a story. He has a st00pid black staffy rescue dog. Bear. He has only had the dog six months but it is a co dependent thing they have going on. He took Bear to the IGA the other night. 7.30 ish. Left dog in car while he went to get milk and bread and fags. Woman comes into IGA and wants to know who owns dog. He asks what is wrong. And she goes off at him. Says she has taken his rego and threatens him with reporting his cruelty. (Dog is whining. It is about 15 degrees. he was going to spend 5 minutes in car alone.) She calls him alll sorts of fucker and everyone in the shop is looking at them.

Coz this is how we treat people with anxiety and depression. We have to keep them on their toes.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 18:47:15
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991655
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Matt number one was happily piicked up his dinner and cake. He told me a story. He has a st00pid black staffy rescue dog. Bear. He has only had the dog six months but it is a co dependent thing they have going on. He took Bear to the IGA the other night. 7.30 ish. Left dog in car while he went to get milk and bread and fags. Woman comes into IGA and wants to know who owns dog. He asks what is wrong. And she goes off at him. Says she has taken his rego and threatens him with reporting his cruelty. (Dog is whining. It is about 15 degrees. he was going to spend 5 minutes in car alone.) She calls him alll sorts of fucker and everyone in the shop is looking at them.

Coz this is how we treat people with anxiety and depression. We have to keep them on their toes.

`She’s obviously got a lot of issues.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 18:51:47
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991656
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Matt number one was happily piicked up his dinner and cake. He told me a story. He has a st00pid black staffy rescue dog. Bear. He has only had the dog six months but it is a co dependent thing they have going on. He took Bear to the IGA the other night. 7.30 ish. Left dog in car while he went to get milk and bread and fags. Woman comes into IGA and wants to know who owns dog. He asks what is wrong. And she goes off at him. Says she has taken his rego and threatens him with reporting his cruelty. (Dog is whining. It is about 15 degrees. he was going to spend 5 minutes in car alone.) She calls him alll sorts of fucker and everyone in the shop is looking at them.

Coz this is how we treat people with anxiety and depression. We have to keep them on their toes.

Madness. Dogs left in cars outside the IGA for a few minutes is a several-times-everyday thing.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 18:57:05
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991657
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Matt number one was happily piicked up his dinner and cake. He told me a story. He has a st00pid black staffy rescue dog. Bear. He has only had the dog six months but it is a co dependent thing they have going on. He took Bear to the IGA the other night. 7.30 ish. Left dog in car while he went to get milk and bread and fags. Woman comes into IGA and wants to know who owns dog. He asks what is wrong. And she goes off at him. Says she has taken his rego and threatens him with reporting his cruelty. (Dog is whining. It is about 15 degrees. he was going to spend 5 minutes in car alone.) She calls him alll sorts of fucker and everyone in the shop is looking at them.

Coz this is how we treat people with anxiety and depression. We have to keep them on their toes.

Madness. Dogs left in cars outside the IGA for a few minutes is a several-times-everyday thing.

More often than not. But they don’t all whine.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 19:00:29
From: Michael V
ID: 1991658
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Matt number one was happily piicked up his dinner and cake. He told me a story. He has a st00pid black staffy rescue dog. Bear. He has only had the dog six months but it is a co dependent thing they have going on. He took Bear to the IGA the other night. 7.30 ish. Left dog in car while he went to get milk and bread and fags. Woman comes into IGA and wants to know who owns dog. He asks what is wrong. And she goes off at him. Says she has taken his rego and threatens him with reporting his cruelty. (Dog is whining. It is about 15 degrees. he was going to spend 5 minutes in car alone.) She calls him alll sorts of fucker and everyone in the shop is looking at them.

Coz this is how we treat people with anxiety and depression. We have to keep them on their toes.

Self-appointed RSPCA police, goes in with guns blazing. Asks no questions gets told no lies…

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 19:04:48
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991659
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Master milkman. Well.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 19:10:00
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991660
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Master milkman. Well.

Ta. I would have called the knife grinder a tinker.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 19:11:22
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991661
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Master milkman. Well.

Ta. I would have called the knife grinder a tinker.

It’s a nice set of pics. They would be good for a collage and a photopolymer plate.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 19:23:42
From: Michael V
ID: 1991662
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Typo – TC “Freedy”?

IIRC it should be “Freddy”.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 19:26:09
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991663
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Typo – TC “Freedy”?

IIRC it should be “Freddy”.

Hehe, good pick up.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 19:27:40
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991664
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Typo – TC “Freedy”?

IIRC it should be “Freddy”.

‘Freedy’ is good. Non-binary.

Let’s give up male/female names for cyclones. Use gender-neutral things.

Cylcone Tablelamp. Cyclone Chiko Roll. Cyclone Treestump. Stuff like that.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 19:33:28
From: Michael V
ID: 1991665
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Michael V said:

Typo – TC “Freedy”?

IIRC it should be “Freddy”.

‘Freedy’ is good. Non-binary.

Let’s give up male/female names for cyclones. Use gender-neutral things.

Cylcone Tablelamp. Cyclone Chiko Roll. Cyclone Treestump. Stuff like that.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 19:36:32
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991666
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Michael V said:

Typo – TC “Freedy”?

IIRC it should be “Freddy”.

‘Freedy’ is good. Non-binary.

Let’s give up male/female names for cyclones. Use gender-neutral things.

Cylcone Tablelamp. Cyclone Chiko Roll. Cyclone Treestump. Stuff like that.

Cyclone Stuff Like That would make you sit bolt upright in bed.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 19:47:36
From: Neophyte
ID: 1991667
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


captain_spalding said:

Michael V said:

Typo – TC “Freedy”?

IIRC it should be “Freddy”.

‘Freedy’ is good. Non-binary.

Let’s give up male/female names for cyclones. Use gender-neutral things.

Cylcone Tablelamp. Cyclone Chiko Roll. Cyclone Treestump. Stuff like that.

Cyclone Stuff Like That would make you sit bolt upright in bed.

Just as long as they don’t sell the naming rights, so we get Cyclone Rothmans King Size Really Satisfies Why Don’t You Buy Twenty Today.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 19:54:04
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991668
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Ta. I would have called the knife grinder a tinker.

…and the fishmonger a stinker :)

There was that London fishmonger whose sales cry was “Stinking fish! Buy my stinking fish! Lord ‘ow they do stink today!”

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 19:57:26
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991669
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Ta. I would have called the knife grinder a tinker.

…and the fishmonger a stinker :)

There was that London fishmonger whose sales cry was “Stinking fish! Buy my stinking fish! Lord ‘ow they do stink today!”

Oh dear.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:00:51
From: Michael V
ID: 1991670
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Neophyte said:


Peak Warming Man said:

captain_spalding said:

‘Freedy’ is good. Non-binary.

Let’s give up male/female names for cyclones. Use gender-neutral things.

Cylcone Tablelamp. Cyclone Chiko Roll. Cyclone Treestump. Stuff like that.

Cyclone Stuff Like That would make you sit bolt upright in bed.

Just as long as they don’t sell the naming rights, so we get Cyclone Rothmans King Size Really Satisfies Why Don’t You Buy Twenty Today.

Giggles.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:01:01
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991671
Subject: re: Chat February 2023


I mean why, why do they want to dress in drag and engage with toddlers and young children.
What’s the end game? what are they trying to achieve?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-07/christian-lobby-anti-pussay-poppins-drag-library-launceston/101937194

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:05:03
From: Kingy
ID: 1991672
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Kingy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

No photos of the crashed water bomber in WA as yet?

So were they friends of yours Kingy? Folks that you know?

Not friends as such, but we had a chat in late December when I got a tour of the C-130. We weren’t allowed on the 737 which was parked next to it, and no photos allowed while inside the main fence. Some friends/aquaintances are the retardant reloaders though.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:05:33
From: Michael V
ID: 1991673
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Ta. I would have called the knife grinder a tinker.

…and the fishmonger a stinker :)

There was that London fishmonger whose sales cry was “Stinking fish! Buy my stinking fish! Lord ‘ow they do stink today!”

My grandmother’s great uncle was a London Eeler. Sold them jellied, live or cooked. He was 6’5” tall. She had a photo of him standing very tall in an East London market.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:12:49
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991674
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Ta. I would have called the knife grinder a tinker.

…and the fishmonger a stinker :)

There was that London fishmonger whose sales cry was “Stinking fish! Buy my stinking fish! Lord ‘ow they do stink today!”

Oh dear.

I have an illustrated book of Old London Street Cries, but it’s also on Gutenberg:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/61861/61861-h/61861-h.htm

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:19:11
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991675
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:



I mean why, why do they want to dress in drag and engage with toddlers and young children.
What’s the end game? what are they trying to achieve?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-07/christian-lobby-anti-pussay-poppins-drag-library-launceston/101937194

It’s a popular passing fad. In fairness though men-in-drag is a traditional feature of children’s pantomimes.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:19:16
From: buffy
ID: 1991676
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Back from archery. I just put the chicken carcases on to boil up for the dogs. And the gas ran out. I’ve been able to smell gas for about a week, you can always tell when the bottle is getting low. So I’ve switched to the full bottle and we will order a new one. I think the bottle lasted a couple of years, so now I guess we will find out how expensive they are now. Then again, I can’t remember what the last one cost. I think they are around $130 to $150 from a quick Google.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:21:34
From: buffy
ID: 1991677
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Elder sprog is cook tonight and as she’s just back from the supermarket she tells me that we’re having home made French onion soup with crusty bread.

It’s a while since I did that. Does she know about putting a piece of toast in the bottom of the bowl with tasty cheese on it and pouring the soup over it?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:21:35
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991678
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:


I mean why, why do they want to dress in drag and engage with toddlers and young children.
What’s the end game? what are they trying to achieve?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-07/christian-lobby-anti-pussay-poppins-drag-library-launceston/101937194

It’s a popular passing fad. In fairness though men-in-drag is a traditional feature of children’s pantomimes.

And childhood tv.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:23:31
From: buffy
ID: 1991679
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


It’s Matt number one’s birthday. I’ve prepared takeaway spag bog and little apricot tea cakes.

So I have dinner done for self. No brown food from the freezer tonight.

I’m finishing my serve of lemon chicken. We et some food sitting by Lake Hamilton, but the serves were rather large. I had a hankering for lemon chicken from the Chinese takeaway. They do it better than I can do – well differently. I don’t deepfry in my kitchen. Too much mess.I haven’t had lemon chicken for many months.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:23:58
From: Kingy
ID: 1991680
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Some speculation now that it clipped a ridge. It wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve seen how low they fly, and have seen a ground crew pull sticks out of the underside of a single engine air tanker.

https://youtu.be/O2KCYhULWZ8

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:24:09
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991681
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


sibeen said:

Elder sprog is cook tonight and as she’s just back from the supermarket she tells me that we’re having home made French onion soup with crusty bread.

It’s a while since I did that. Does she know about putting a piece of toast in the bottom of the bowl with tasty cheese on it and pouring the soup over it?

Soupe à l’Oignon Gratinée (Parisian French Onion Soup)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:24:50
From: sibeen
ID: 1991682
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


sibeen said:

Elder sprog is cook tonight and as she’s just back from the supermarket she tells me that we’re having home made French onion soup with crusty bread.

It’s a while since I did that. Does she know about putting a piece of toast in the bottom of the bowl with tasty cheese on it and pouring the soup over it?

She did the grilled cheese (Gruyère) on toasted sourdough rolls.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:25:25
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991683
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


sarahs mum said:

It’s Matt number one’s birthday. I’ve prepared takeaway spag bog and little apricot tea cakes.

So I have dinner done for self. No brown food from the freezer tonight.

I’m finishing my serve of lemon chicken. We et some food sitting by Lake Hamilton, but the serves were rather large. I had a hankering for lemon chicken from the Chinese takeaway. They do it better than I can do – well differently. I don’t deepfry in my kitchen. Too much mess.I haven’t had lemon chicken for many months.

years. i might do something about that.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:27:15
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991684
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Some speculation now that it clipped a ridge. It wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve seen how low they fly, and have seen a ground crew pull sticks out of the underside of a single engine air tanker.

https://youtu.be/O2KCYhULWZ8


Looks like they were very lucky to get out alive.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:27:43
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991685
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


buffy said:

sibeen said:

Elder sprog is cook tonight and as she’s just back from the supermarket she tells me that we’re having home made French onion soup with crusty bread.

It’s a while since I did that. Does she know about putting a piece of toast in the bottom of the bowl with tasty cheese on it and pouring the soup over it?

She did the grilled cheese (Gruyère) on toasted sourdough rolls.

Like I said, cheese sammidges :)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:40:52
From: buffy
ID: 1991686
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Some speculation now that it clipped a ridge. It wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve seen how low they fly, and have seen a ground crew pull sticks out of the underside of a single engine air tanker.

https://youtu.be/O2KCYhULWZ8

I was listening to an ABC reporter on the radio while Mr buffy got the Chinese food. It sounded like they might have actually landed the thing in the bush. It remains to be seen if the fire bit happened before they landed or as a consequence of landing. Whichever way, they had time to get out. Which is a Good Thing.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:45:36
From: Kingy
ID: 1991687
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Kingy said:

Some speculation now that it clipped a ridge. It wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve seen how low they fly, and have seen a ground crew pull sticks out of the underside of a single engine air tanker.

https://youtu.be/O2KCYhULWZ8

I was listening to an ABC reporter on the radio while Mr buffy got the Chinese food. It sounded like they might have actually landed the thing in the bush. It remains to be seen if the fire bit happened before they landed or as a consequence of landing. Whichever way, they had time to get out. Which is a Good Thing.

It caught fire on impact. I think the engines would have ingested dry scrub and set fire to it. They were lucky to have flat, sandy ground with just scrub and nothing substantial to hit.

I wonder how much Coulson’s insurance premiums are about to increase by.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:46:12
From: buffy
ID: 1991688
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Some speculation now that it clipped a ridge. It wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve seen how low they fly, and have seen a ground crew pull sticks out of the underside of a single engine air tanker.

https://youtu.be/O2KCYhULWZ8

mr buffy says there is something salvageable…the sign on the tail.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:47:30
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991689
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:


I mean why, why do they want to dress in drag and engage with toddlers and young children.
What’s the end game? what are they trying to achieve?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-07/christian-lobby-anti-pussay-poppins-drag-library-launceston/101937194

It’s a popular passing fad. In fairness though men-in-drag is a traditional feature of children’s pantomimes.

Women in drag, too. ‘The principal boy’.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:48:56
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991690
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Some speculation now that it clipped a ridge. It wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve seen how low they fly, and have seen a ground crew pull sticks out of the underside of a single engine air tanker.

https://youtu.be/O2KCYhULWZ8

They wont be able to fix it at site, probably need to take it to town.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:49:10
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991691
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I must get some bits of 737 to use as firestarters next winter.

They seem to burn well.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:52:39
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1991692
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Kingy said:

Some speculation now that it clipped a ridge. It wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve seen how low they fly, and have seen a ground crew pull sticks out of the underside of a single engine air tanker.

https://youtu.be/O2KCYhULWZ8

They wont be able to fix it at site, probably need to take it to town.

a good cut and polish, and a buff of course, and it’ll be good as new

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 20:59:34
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1991693
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Kingy said:

Some speculation now that it clipped a ridge. It wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve seen how low they fly, and have seen a ground crew pull sticks out of the underside of a single engine air tanker.

https://youtu.be/O2KCYhULWZ8

They wont be able to fix it at site, probably need to take it to town.

a good cut and polish, and a buff of course, and it’ll be good as new

Yeah I read that they’d clipped the top of a ridge. Good job getting it back onto the ground and living, seriously bad job having to do that though.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 21:00:11
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991694
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Kingy said:

Some speculation now that it clipped a ridge. It wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve seen how low they fly, and have seen a ground crew pull sticks out of the underside of a single engine air tanker.

https://youtu.be/O2KCYhULWZ8

They wont be able to fix it at site, probably need to take it to town.

a good cut and polish, and a buff of course, and it’ll be good as new

Going to be hard to come up with a convincing story to blame it on an ‘unknown driver’.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 21:06:14
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1991695
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Some speculation now that it clipped a ridge. It wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve seen how low they fly, and have seen a ground crew pull sticks out of the underside of a single engine air tanker.

https://youtu.be/O2KCYhULWZ8

It’s difficult to tell if the engines are at the crash site. I think perhaps in the first photo I can see what should be engine #2 still there, I can’t really see #1 in any of the photos though. If they did hit the ridge I would have expected the engines to have broken away.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 21:17:05
From: buffy
ID: 1991696
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Kingy said:

Some speculation now that it clipped a ridge. It wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve seen how low they fly, and have seen a ground crew pull sticks out of the underside of a single engine air tanker.

https://youtu.be/O2KCYhULWZ8

It’s difficult to tell if the engines are at the crash site. I think perhaps in the first photo I can see what should be engine #2 still there, I can’t really see #1 in any of the photos though. If they did hit the ridge I would have expected the engines to have broken away.

I thought the area was pretty flat. No sign of a ridge in those photos.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 21:29:49
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1991700
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Spiny Norman said:

Kingy said:

Some speculation now that it clipped a ridge. It wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve seen how low they fly, and have seen a ground crew pull sticks out of the underside of a single engine air tanker.

https://youtu.be/O2KCYhULWZ8

It’s difficult to tell if the engines are at the crash site. I think perhaps in the first photo I can see what should be engine #2 still there, I can’t really see #1 in any of the photos though. If they did hit the ridge I would have expected the engines to have broken away.

I thought the area was pretty flat. No sign of a ridge in those photos.

It would have landed a good kilometre or more after the initial impact.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 21:30:25
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991701
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Matt number one was happily piicked up his dinner and cake. He told me a story. He has a st00pid black staffy rescue dog. Bear. He has only had the dog six months but it is a co dependent thing they have going on. He took Bear to the IGA the other night. 7.30 ish. Left dog in car while he went to get milk and bread and fags. Woman comes into IGA and wants to know who owns dog. He asks what is wrong. And she goes off at him. Says she has taken his rego and threatens him with reporting his cruelty. (Dog is whining. It is about 15 degrees. he was going to spend 5 minutes in car alone.) She calls him alll sorts of fucker and everyone in the shop is looking at them.

Coz this is how we treat people with anxiety and depression. We have to keep them on their toes.

Wot’s she worried about? The dog didn’t eat her arm off as she walked past.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 21:35:48
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1991702
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


buffy said:

Spiny Norman said:

It’s difficult to tell if the engines are at the crash site. I think perhaps in the first photo I can see what should be engine #2 still there, I can’t really see #1 in any of the photos though. If they did hit the ridge I would have expected the engines to have broken away.

I thought the area was pretty flat. No sign of a ridge in those photos.

It would have landed a good kilometre or more after the initial impact.

That national park is quite hilly. Lovely bit of country.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 21:36:48
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991703
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

Matt number one was happily piicked up his dinner and cake. He told me a story. He has a st00pid black staffy rescue dog. Bear. He has only had the dog six months but it is a co dependent thing they have going on. He took Bear to the IGA the other night. 7.30 ish. Left dog in car while he went to get milk and bread and fags. Woman comes into IGA and wants to know who owns dog. He asks what is wrong. And she goes off at him. Says she has taken his rego and threatens him with reporting his cruelty. (Dog is whining. It is about 15 degrees. he was going to spend 5 minutes in car alone.) She calls him alll sorts of fucker and everyone in the shop is looking at them.

Coz this is how we treat people with anxiety and depression. We have to keep them on their toes.

Wot’s she worried about? The dog didn’t eat her arm off as she walked past.

some of the people on my facebook have been posting stuff about how you shouldn’t ever clip dogs with undercoats. however Cobbett jumped into the dogwash trailer without being asked. And he is so much happier now. Same people did not click like when i posted pic. their problem. Cbbbett and I are happy.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 21:43:11
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991704
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:

some of the people on my facebook have been posting stuff about how you shouldn’t ever clip dogs with undercoats. however Cobbett jumped into the dogwash trailer without being asked. And he is so much happier now. Same people did not click like when i posted pic. their problem. Cbbbett and I are happy.

When the Black Wolf of the Ranges was with us (him being mostly kelpie, maybe some German Shepherd), we’d get his coat clipped for the summer.

He’d seem a little embarrassed about it in the first few days, but he was quite obviously much more comfortable through the hot weather.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 21:58:35
From: diddly-squat
ID: 1991705
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

good evening people of holiday forum lifeboat.. how sails ye?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 22:10:01
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991706
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


sarahs mum said:

some of the people on my facebook have been posting stuff about how you shouldn’t ever clip dogs with undercoats. however Cobbett jumped into the dogwash trailer without being asked. And he is so much happier now. Same people did not click like when i posted pic. their problem. Cbbbett and I are happy.

When the Black Wolf of the Ranges was with us (him being mostly kelpie, maybe some German Shepherd), we’d get his coat clipped for the summer.

He’d seem a little embarrassed about it in the first few days, but he was quite obviously much more comfortable through the hot weather.

No embarassment for Cobbett. He knows he is beautiful now.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 22:10:24
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991707
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:


good evening people of holiday forum lifeboat.. how sails ye?

somewhat rudderless.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 22:10:49
From: sibeen
ID: 1991708
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:


good evening people of holiday forum lifeboat.. how sails ye?

Yeah…good…I suppose.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 22:12:45
From: diddly-squat
ID: 1991709
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


diddly-squat said:

good evening people of holiday forum lifeboat.. how sails ye?

somewhat rudderless.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 22:13:25
From: tauto
ID: 1991710
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:


good evening people of holiday forum lifeboat.. how sails ye?

—

All good here, but can I ask you for info about jobs available for newly graduated geologists?
After covid caused a decamp, my sons girlfiend, the new geologist has returned from England to find a job in Oz . Any suggestions?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 22:13:31
From: party_pants
ID: 1991711
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Kingy said:

Some speculation now that it clipped a ridge. It wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve seen how low they fly, and have seen a ground crew pull sticks out of the underside of a single engine air tanker.

https://youtu.be/O2KCYhULWZ8

They wont be able to fix it at site, probably need to take it to town.

I have misgivings about such aircraft being used in such a role.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 22:13:33
From: diddly-squat
ID: 1991712
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

well that didn’t work

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 22:14:25
From: diddly-squat
ID: 1991713
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


diddly-squat said:

good evening people of holiday forum lifeboat.. how sails ye?

Yeah…good…I suppose.

good job someone is keeping the lights on

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 22:15:40
From: diddly-squat
ID: 1991714
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

tauto said:


diddly-squat said:

good evening people of holiday forum lifeboat.. how sails ye?

—

All good here, but can I ask you for info about jobs available for newly graduated geologists?
After covid caused a decamp, my sons girlfiend, the new geologist has returned from England to find a job in Oz . Any suggestions?

what type of geologist is she?

lots of jobs out there but depends a lot on her interests

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 22:16:35
From: diddly-squat
ID: 1991715
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:


tauto said:

diddly-squat said:

good evening people of holiday forum lifeboat.. how sails ye?

—

All good here, but can I ask you for info about jobs available for newly graduated geologists?
After covid caused a decamp, my sons girlfiend, the new geologist has returned from England to find a job in Oz . Any suggestions?

what type of geologist is she?

lots of jobs out there but depends a lot on her interests

also depends greatly on where she wants to live

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 22:17:38
From: tauto
ID: 1991716
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:


tauto said:

diddly-squat said:

good evening people of holiday forum lifeboat.. how sails ye?

—

All good here, but can I ask you for info about jobs available for newly graduated geologists?
After covid caused a decamp, my sons girlfiend, the new geologist has returned from England to find a job in Oz . Any suggestions?

what type of geologist is she?

lots of jobs out there but depends a lot on her interests

—

Ta, I’ll find out.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 22:19:49
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991717
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:


well that didn’t work

How long should I give it?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 22:25:23
From: diddly-squat
ID: 1991718
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

tauto said:


diddly-squat said:

tauto said:

—

All good here, but can I ask you for info about jobs available for newly graduated geologists?
After covid caused a decamp, my sons girlfiend, the new geologist has returned from England to find a job in Oz . Any suggestions?

what type of geologist is she?

lots of jobs out there but depends a lot on her interests

—

Ta, I’ll find out.

if she is a recent grad then she should have an idea if she wants to be: – a mine geologist – an exploration geologist – a resource geologist

Not that those definitions are discrete things, more areas of speciality

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 22:25:57
From: diddly-squat
ID: 1991719
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


diddly-squat said:

well that didn’t work

How long should I give it?

hold steady lad.. I’ll let you know when it’s ok to blink

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 22:33:31
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991721
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Aus v India test starts tomorrow, 2pm Queensland Standard Universal Time or 3pm pretend time.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 22:37:31
From: sibeen
ID: 1991722
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Aus v India test starts tomorrow, 2pm Queensland Standard Universal Time or 3pm pretend time.

I didn’t realise that instead of initiating daylight savings like the rest of the east coast, Queensland instead decided to jump forward a whole day.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 22:39:15
From: tauto
ID: 1991723
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:


tauto said:

diddly-squat said:

what type of geologist is she?

lots of jobs out there but depends a lot on her interests

—

Ta, I’ll find out.

if she is a recent grad then she should have an idea if she wants to be: – a mine geologist – an exploration geologist – a resource geologist

Not that those definitions are discrete things, more areas of speciality


__

Thanks.

They are going on a roadtrip to see the great barrier reef first.
3 years between seeing each other shows commitment.
She sees no future for herself in UK as a geo.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 22:41:34
From: tauto
ID: 1991724
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Aus v India test starts tomorrow, 2pm Queensland Standard Universal Time or 3pm pretend time.

__

You are a day early

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 23:01:16
From: ms spock
ID: 1991732
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

PermeateFree said:

Madagascar’s sacred baobab trees have gradually taken root farther northward as deforestation and climate change have hit.

What a great photo. It is amazing how much things are changing.

What is of constant amazement is the propensity for nature to adapt.

Iontach! (Amazing!)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 23:03:43
From: ms spock
ID: 1991733
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


In defiance of the former government’s vow that he would never set foot on Australia soil, refugee and journalist Behrouz Boochani calls for a royal commission into immigration detention, as he stands in Parliament House. Link

I want all the money tracked and traced. I want to know who go it all.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 23:05:41
From: ms spock
ID: 1991734
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Matt number one was happily piicked up his dinner and cake. He told me a story. He has a st00pid black staffy rescue dog. Bear. He has only had the dog six months but it is a co dependent thing they have going on. He took Bear to the IGA the other night. 7.30 ish. Left dog in car while he went to get milk and bread and fags. Woman comes into IGA and wants to know who owns dog. He asks what is wrong. And she goes off at him. Says she has taken his rego and threatens him with reporting his cruelty. (Dog is whining. It is about 15 degrees. he was going to spend 5 minutes in car alone.) She calls him alll sorts of fucker and everyone in the shop is looking at them.

Coz this is how we treat people with anxiety and depression. We have to keep them on their toes.

:(((

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 23:07:38
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991735
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


roughbarked said:

In defiance of the former government’s vow that he would never set foot on Australia soil, refugee and journalist Behrouz Boochani calls for a royal commission into immigration detention, as he stands in Parliament House. Link

I want all the money tracked and traced. I want to know who go it all.

He would have made a good citizen. and he is far stronger and resilient than self.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 23:08:55
From: ms spock
ID: 1991736
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


captain_spalding said:

Michael V said:

Typo – TC “Freedy”?

IIRC it should be “Freddy”.

‘Freedy’ is good. Non-binary.

Let’s give up male/female names for cyclones. Use gender-neutral things.

Cylcone Tablelamp. Cyclone Chiko Roll. Cyclone Treestump. Stuff like that.

Cyclone Stuff Like That would make you sit bolt upright in bed.

Coinín Cyclone (Rabbit cyclone)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 23:11:57
From: ms spock
ID: 1991737
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


ms spock said:

Kingy said:

So were they friends of yours Kingy? Folks that you know?

Not friends as such, but we had a chat in late December when I got a tour of the C-130. We weren’t allowed on the 737 which was parked next to it, and no photos allowed while inside the main fence. Some friends/aquaintances are the retardant reloaders though.

I hope that they are okay.
(Tá súil agam go bhfuil siad ceart go leor!)

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 23:12:48
From: ms spock
ID: 1991738
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:



I mean why, why do they want to dress in drag and engage with toddlers and young children.
What’s the end game? what are they trying to achieve?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-07/christian-lobby-anti-pussay-poppins-drag-library-launceston/101937194

The priests in the Catholic Church definitely frock up.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 23:14:23
From: ms spock
ID: 1991739
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Some speculation now that it clipped a ridge. It wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve seen how low they fly, and have seen a ground crew pull sticks out of the underside of a single engine air tanker.

https://youtu.be/O2KCYhULWZ8

It’s hard to believe that they came out of that alive!

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 23:16:26
From: ms spock
ID: 1991740
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Peak Warming Man said:


I mean why, why do they want to dress in drag and engage with toddlers and young children.
What’s the end game? what are they trying to achieve?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-07/christian-lobby-anti-pussay-poppins-drag-library-launceston/101937194

It’s a popular passing fad. In fairness though men-in-drag is a traditional feature of children’s pantomimes.

And childhood tv.

Dame Edna Everage?

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 23:19:53
From: transition
ID: 1991741
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

i’ll make my own coffee

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 23:22:14
From: party_pants
ID: 1991742
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


i’ll make my own coffee

I should hope so!

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 23:41:37
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991747
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

>>australian news media is shit..

Anyone watch Mediawatch?

‘Shameful’: Media run government propaganda | Media Watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkJ8oz9BFrk

Reply Quote

Date: 7/02/2023 23:59:04
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991751
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

NewExaminer
28 m ·
DRAG STORYTIME CHRISTIAN FURORE – “CHILDREN SHOULD BE MOLESTED BY PRIESTS, NOT POOFS”
The Australian Christian Lobby has condemned the sold-out Drag Queen Storytime at the Launceston Library as an attempt to sexualise toddlers and encourage gender dysphoria.
Spokeswoman Lisa Skender, who identifies as a Living Biological Woman, says God’s children must be protected.
“Impressionable young children should not be exposed to abhorrent, deviant lifestyles,” Skender said, presumably referring to Anglican Priest Garth Hawkins, who pleaded guilty to anally raping seven Tasmanian kids after Sunday School in the 1970s and 1980s.
Hawkins recently told a Court he enjoyed sharing the young boys around, at one stage with another priest who is now a senior Bishop.
Tasmanian Christian Lobby director, Christopher Brohier is another critic, calling on the government to intervene and “stop Tasmanian toddlers being introduced to drag culture”.
The New Examiner has written to Mr Brohier asking a number of questions.
Those questions include: “What did the ACL do to protect young girls when former cricket umpire Steve Randell was convicted of fiddling with pre-pubescent kids”. “Did you call for an enquiry when it was revealed half the teaching staff at Burnie’s Marist College were under investigation for sex offences?” And finally, “Why weren’t you outraged when a Tasmanian teacher recently admitted under oath that he drugged and fucked three young boys in the 1970s?”
We also contacted Tasmania’s Deputy Premier, Michael Ferguson, who simply replied with “it’s not the sort of event I’d take my children to.”
The New Examiner notes that Mr Ferguson’s three children are adults, and agrees it would be inappropriate for a man his age to take adult children to an event aimed at toddlers.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 00:15:29
From: transition
ID: 1991758
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


>>australian news media is shit..

Anyone watch Mediawatch?

‘Shameful’: Media run government propaganda | Media Watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkJ8oz9BFrk

I been following it some

too many people are in the movie business these days, starring in their own movies

but it could be the way of future, a dystopia where a lot of people live to see some trouble on their electric rectangles, every day

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 00:20:18
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991760
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


sarahs mum said:

>>australian news media is shit..

Anyone watch Mediawatch?

‘Shameful’: Media run government propaganda | Media Watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkJ8oz9BFrk

I been following it some

too many people are in the movie business these days, starring in their own movies

but it could be the way of future, a dystopia where a lot of people live to see some trouble on their electric rectangles, every day

Representation by lying about throwing children overboard. it works.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 00:23:02
From: sibeen
ID: 1991761
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


transition said:

sarahs mum said:

>>australian news media is shit..

Anyone watch Mediawatch?

‘Shameful’: Media run government propaganda | Media Watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkJ8oz9BFrk

I been following it some

too many people are in the movie business these days, starring in their own movies

but it could be the way of future, a dystopia where a lot of people live to see some trouble on their electric rectangles, every day

Representation by lying about throwing children overboard. it works.

Jaysus, that was over 20 years ago. We’ve had quite a few governments and Prime Ministers since.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 00:24:28
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991763
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


sarahs mum said:

transition said:

I been following it some

too many people are in the movie business these days, starring in their own movies

but it could be the way of future, a dystopia where a lot of people live to see some trouble on their electric rectangles, every day

Representation by lying about throwing children overboard. it works.

Jaysus, that was over 20 years ago. We’ve had quite a few governments and Prime Ministers since.

yes. but the spinning ain’t stopped. It’s just become the norm.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 00:26:01
From: sibeen
ID: 1991765
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sibeen said:

sarahs mum said:

Representation by lying about throwing children overboard. it works.

Jaysus, that was over 20 years ago. We’ve had quite a few governments and Prime Ministers since.

yes. but the spinning ain’t stopped. It’s just become the norm.

I suspect that the influence of the right of centre media has waned considerably over that period.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 00:28:11
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991766
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sibeen said:

sarahs mum said:

Representation by lying about throwing children overboard. it works.

Jaysus, that was over 20 years ago. We’ve had quite a few governments and Prime Ministers since.

yes. but the spinning ain’t stopped. It’s just become the norm.

That media watch episode i linked. It discussed the drops from the govt to the press to put a lid on the robodebt negative stories. Tudge’s asst was questioned about what press was regarded left wing…and who would run the propaganda as long as they got the exclusive.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 00:33:49
From: ms spock
ID: 1991770
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


i’ll make my own coffee

Sounds good. You know how you like it!

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 00:35:21
From: ms spock
ID: 1991772
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


>>australian news media is shit..

Anyone watch Mediawatch?

‘Shameful’: Media run government propaganda | Media Watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkJ8oz9BFrk

:((

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 00:36:48
From: transition
ID: 1991773
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


transition said:

sarahs mum said:

>>australian news media is shit..

Anyone watch Mediawatch?

‘Shameful’: Media run government propaganda | Media Watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkJ8oz9BFrk

I been following it some

too many people are in the movie business these days, starring in their own movies

but it could be the way of future, a dystopia where a lot of people live to see some trouble on their electric rectangles, every day

Representation by lying about throwing children overboard. it works.

i’d like to see more dry factual reporting from news, like you might get from an imaginary friend that appreciates your situation

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 00:37:53
From: ms spock
ID: 1991774
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


NewExaminer
28 m ·
DRAG STORYTIME CHRISTIAN FURORE – “CHILDREN SHOULD BE MOLESTED BY PRIESTS, NOT POOFS”
The Australian Christian Lobby has condemned the sold-out Drag Queen Storytime at the Launceston Library as an attempt to sexualise toddlers and encourage gender dysphoria.

Spokeswoman Lisa Skender, who identifies as a Living Biological Woman, says God’s children must be protected.
“Impressionable young children should not be exposed to abhorrent, deviant lifestyles,” Skender said, presumably referring to Anglican Priest Garth Hawkins, who pleaded guilty to anally raping seven Tasmanian kids after Sunday School in the 1970s and 1980s.

Hawkins recently told a Court he enjoyed sharing the young boys around, at one stage with another priest who is now a senior Bishop.

Tasmanian Christian Lobby director, Christopher Brohier is another critic, calling on the government to intervene and “stop Tasmanian toddlers being introduced to drag culture”.
The New Examiner has written to Mr Brohier asking a number of questions.

Those questions include: “What did the ACL do to protect young girls when former cricket umpire Steve Randell was convicted of fiddling with pre-pubescent kids”. “Did you call for an enquiry when it was revealed half the teaching staff at Burnie’s Marist College were under investigation for sex offences?” And finally, “Why weren’t you outraged when a Tasmanian teacher recently admitted under oath that he drugged and fucked three young boys in the 1970s?”
We also contacted Tasmania’s Deputy Premier, Michael Ferguson, who simply replied with “it’s not the sort of event I’d take my children to.”

The New Examiner notes that Mr Ferguson’s three children are adults, and agrees it would be inappropriate for a man his age to take adult children to an event aimed at toddlers.

Yeah but it’s hardly worth saying anymore.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 00:39:11
From: ms spock
ID: 1991776
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


transition said:

sarahs mum said:

>>australian news media is shit..

Anyone watch Mediawatch?

‘Shameful’: Media run government propaganda | Media Watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkJ8oz9BFrk

I been following it some

too many people are in the movie business these days, starring in their own movies

but it could be the way of future, a dystopia where a lot of people live to see some trouble on their electric rectangles, every day

Representation by lying about throwing children overboard. it works.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 00:43:21
From: Arts
ID: 1991779
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

sibeen said:

Jaysus, that was over 20 years ago. We’ve had quite a few governments and Prime Ministers since.

yes. but the spinning ain’t stopped. It’s just become the norm.

That media watch episode i linked. It discussed the drops from the govt to the press to put a lid on the robodebt negative stories. Tudge’s asst was questioned about what press was regarded left wing…and who would run the propaganda as long as they got the exclusive.

Murdoch has been manipulating the news for years and years… this media manipulation should not be surprising to anyone.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 01:03:10
From: sibeen
ID: 1991780
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:

yes. but the spinning ain’t stopped. It’s just become the norm.

That media watch episode i linked. It discussed the drops from the govt to the press to put a lid on the robodebt negative stories. Tudge’s asst was questioned about what press was regarded left wing…and who would run the propaganda as long as they got the exclusive.

Murdoch has been manipulating the news for years and years… this media manipulation should not be surprising to anyone.

Sure he does. Does left wing media try to do any less?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 01:04:30
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991781
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Five Years After SpaceX Launched A Tesla To Space, Where Is It Now?

https://www.iflscience.com/five-years-after-spacex-launched-a-tesla-to-space-where-is-it-now-67419
—-

‘The Starman placed in the vehicle, assuming it is still intact and somehow achieves sentience, may pray for a sooner impact. While traveling through space, the dummy has listened to David Bowie’s Space Oddity 496,287 times in one ear, and David Bowie’s Life On Mars? has played in his other ear 668,726 times.’

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 01:17:48
From: Arts
ID: 1991782
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Arts said:

sarahs mum said:

That media watch episode i linked. It discussed the drops from the govt to the press to put a lid on the robodebt negative stories. Tudge’s asst was questioned about what press was regarded left wing…and who would run the propaganda as long as they got the exclusive.

Murdoch has been manipulating the news for years and years… this media manipulation should not be surprising to anyone.

Sure he does. Does left wing media try to do any less?

I try to balance my left and right wing media consumption…

it all tastes like chicken in the end

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 01:23:52
From: sibeen
ID: 1991783
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sibeen said:

Arts said:

Murdoch has been manipulating the news for years and years… this media manipulation should not be surprising to anyone.

Sure he does. Does left wing media try to do any less?

I try to balance my left and right wing media consumption…

it all tastes like chicken in the end

The ABC is probably the most right of centre media I consume – compared to my normal reading. I’m not sure that I could describe its taste.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 01:41:47
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1991785
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


I must get some bits of 737 to use as firestarters next winter.

They seem to burn well.

LOL. First time in a long time I’ve sprayed coffee over the keyboard!

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 02:01:13
From: Arts
ID: 1991788
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Arts said:

sibeen said:

Sure he does. Does left wing media try to do any less?

I try to balance my left and right wing media consumption…

it all tastes like chicken in the end

The ABC is probably the most right of centre media I consume – compared to my normal reading. I’m not sure that I could describe its taste.

chicken

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 02:05:38
From: sibeen
ID: 1991789
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sibeen said:

Arts said:

I try to balance my left and right wing media consumption…

it all tastes like chicken in the end

The ABC is probably the most right of centre media I consume – compared to my normal reading. I’m not sure that I could describe its taste.

chicken

Really, it was more like some snake that I once ate in Beijing :)

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 06:28:30
From: buffy
ID: 1991794
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 9 degrees and starting to get light. We are forecast a partly cloudy 25 degrees today.

It’s supermarket shopping day today. I’d better do my stretches, eat something for breakfast (although with the amount of lemon chicken I et last night breakfast is probably redundant this morning) and head to Hamilton early. I like to be in a quiet supermarket.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 06:34:55
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991796
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

G’day. 16˚ here. Will get to 34˚ later.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 09:02:15
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1991807
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Arts said:

sarahs mum said:

That media watch episode i linked. It discussed the drops from the govt to the press to put a lid on the robodebt negative stories. Tudge’s asst was questioned about what press was regarded left wing…and who would run the propaganda as long as they got the exclusive.

Murdoch has been manipulating the news for years and years… this media manipulation should not be surprising to anyone.

Sure he does. Does left wing media try to do any less?

What is this “left wing media” of which you speak?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 09:33:49
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1991811
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


sibeen said:

Arts said:

Murdoch has been manipulating the news for years and years… this media manipulation should not be surprising to anyone.

Sure he does. Does left wing media try to do any less?

What is this “left wing media” of which you speak?

‘The Guardian’ for one. The Australian edition is not too different from the UK publication:

The paper’s readership is generally on the mainstream left of British political opinion, and the term “Guardian reader” is used to imply a stereotype of liberal, left-wing or “politically correct” views.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian

And ‘The Age’ and SMH are generally considered centre-left IME.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 09:44:56
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1991813
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

sibeen said:

Sure he does. Does left wing media try to do any less?

What is this “left wing media” of which you speak?

‘The Guardian’ for one. The Australian edition is not too different from the UK publication:

The paper’s readership is generally on the mainstream left of British political opinion, and the term “Guardian reader” is used to imply a stereotype of liberal, left-wing or “politically correct” views.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian

And ‘The Age’ and SMH are generally considered centre-left IME.

Yeah, “mainstream left” is about where I’d put it. A long way from “left wing”.

I wouldn’t call SMH “centre left”; a little to the right of centre, if anything.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 09:51:52
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991814
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

What is this “left wing media” of which you speak?

‘The Guardian’ for one. The Australian edition is not too different from the UK publication:

The paper’s readership is generally on the mainstream left of British political opinion, and the term “Guardian reader” is used to imply a stereotype of liberal, left-wing or “politically correct” views.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian

And ‘The Age’ and SMH are generally considered centre-left IME.

Yeah, “mainstream left” is about where I’d put it. A long way from “left wing”.

I wouldn’t call SMH “centre left”; a little to the right of centre, if anything.

Leftwing media outlets are The Guardian, their ABC, Crikey, The Conversation, The Saturday Paper.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 09:53:36
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991815
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning Pilgrims.
Today will be a quiet day of reflection.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 09:59:19
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1991816
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

‘The Guardian’ for one. The Australian edition is not too different from the UK publication:

The paper’s readership is generally on the mainstream left of British political opinion, and the term “Guardian reader” is used to imply a stereotype of liberal, left-wing or “politically correct” views.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian

And ‘The Age’ and SMH are generally considered centre-left IME.

Yeah, “mainstream left” is about where I’d put it. A long way from “left wing”.

I wouldn’t call SMH “centre left”; a little to the right of centre, if anything.

Leftwing media outlets are The Guardian, their ABC, Crikey, The Conversation, The Saturday Paper.

I asked Bing for some information about what The Internet had to say about this, and it said exactly the same thing.

Mind you, that came from a site called “The Daily Declaration”, a Voice for Values Down Under, Christian News.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 10:03:34
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1991818
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Peak Warming Man said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Yeah, “mainstream left” is about where I’d put it. A long way from “left wing”.

I wouldn’t call SMH “centre left”; a little to the right of centre, if anything.

Leftwing media outlets are The Guardian, their ABC, Crikey, The Conversation, The Saturday Paper.

I asked Bing for some information about what The Internet had to say about this, and it said exactly the same thing.

Mind you, that came from a site called “The Daily Declaration”, a Voice for Values Down Under, Christian News.

Also from The Internet:
“Simply put, there is NO Left-Wing media in Australia. NONE.

What these other answers claim to be Left-Wing (Guardian, ABC, etc.) are Centre-Right at best.

We have two major parties:

The Right/Far-Right Liberal-National coalition
The Right/Centre-Right Labor party”

Now that’s more like it :)

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 10:06:47
From: diddly-squat
ID: 1991820
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

sibeen said:

Sure he does. Does left wing media try to do any less?

What is this “left wing media” of which you speak?

‘The Guardian’ for one. The Australian edition is not too different from the UK publication:

The paper’s readership is generally on the mainstream left of British political opinion, and the term “Guardian reader” is used to imply a stereotype of liberal, left-wing or “politically correct” views.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian

And ‘The Age’ and SMH are generally considered centre-left IME.

I think in Australian when someone referrers to the “left-wing” media it’s largely a proxy reference to the ABC and The Guardian

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 10:07:17
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991821
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Peak Warming Man said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Yeah, “mainstream left” is about where I’d put it. A long way from “left wing”.

I wouldn’t call SMH “centre left”; a little to the right of centre, if anything.

Leftwing media outlets are The Guardian, their ABC, Crikey, The Conversation, The Saturday Paper.

I asked Bing for some information about what The Internet had to say about this, and it said exactly the same thing.

Mind you, that came from a site called “The Daily Declaration”, a Voice for Values Down Under, Christian News.

So, it would appear to the far right that everything not far right, if left of their center? They actually see themselves as being center. Not right nor left.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 10:12:51
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991823
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

What is this “left wing media” of which you speak?

‘The Guardian’ for one. The Australian edition is not too different from the UK publication:

The paper’s readership is generally on the mainstream left of British political opinion, and the term “Guardian reader” is used to imply a stereotype of liberal, left-wing or “politically correct” views.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian

And ‘The Age’ and SMH are generally considered centre-left IME.

I think in Australian when someone referrers to the “left-wing” media it’s largely a proxy reference to the ABC and The Guardian

Meaning that they are far right and everything that isn’t is thus called left wing?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 10:14:35
From: diddly-squat
ID: 1991824
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Leftwing media outlets are The Guardian, their ABC, Crikey, The Conversation, The Saturday Paper.

I asked Bing for some information about what The Internet had to say about this, and it said exactly the same thing.

Mind you, that came from a site called “The Daily Declaration”, a Voice for Values Down Under, Christian News.

So, it would appear to the far right that everything not far right, if left of their center? They actually see themselves as being center. Not right nor left.

I’m not sure the description “far right” is very helpful in this context… there are some people that are simply not open to hearing about, or even considering, views that they consider unacceptable (irrespective of their ideological implications). I think these people by-and-large identify themselves as belonging to a discrete group, as opposed to seeing themselves sitting on some sort of continuum.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 10:18:02
From: diddly-squat
ID: 1991826
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


diddly-squat said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

‘The Guardian’ for one. The Australian edition is not too different from the UK publication:

The paper’s readership is generally on the mainstream left of British political opinion, and the term “Guardian reader” is used to imply a stereotype of liberal, left-wing or “politically correct” views.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian

And ‘The Age’ and SMH are generally considered centre-left IME.

I think in Australian when someone referrers to the “left-wing” media it’s largely a proxy reference to the ABC and The Guardian

Meaning that they are far right and everything that isn’t is thus called left wing?

no, it’s a deliberate dog whistle… They are using the term to describe those media outlets as “extreme” and/or “untrustworthy”

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 10:18:41
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1991827
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Leftwing media outlets are The Guardian, their ABC, Crikey, The Conversation, The Saturday Paper.

I asked Bing for some information about what The Internet had to say about this, and it said exactly the same thing.

Mind you, that came from a site called “The Daily Declaration”, a Voice for Values Down Under, Christian News.

Also from The Internet:
“Simply put, there is NO Left-Wing media in Australia. NONE.

What these other answers claim to be Left-Wing (Guardian, ABC, etc.) are Centre-Right at best.

We have two major parties:

The Right/Far-Right Liberal-National coalition
The Right/Centre-Right Labor party”

Now that’s more like it :)

Who’s mad spiel is that?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 10:21:56
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1991829
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

I asked Bing for some information about what The Internet had to say about this, and it said exactly the same thing.

Mind you, that came from a site called “The Daily Declaration”, a Voice for Values Down Under, Christian News.

Also from The Internet:
“Simply put, there is NO Left-Wing media in Australia. NONE.

What these other answers claim to be Left-Wing (Guardian, ABC, etc.) are Centre-Right at best.

We have two major parties:

The Right/Far-Right Liberal-National coalition
The Right/Centre-Right Labor party”

Now that’s more like it :)

Who’s mad spiel is that?

Just some random extremist from the Internet :) (from a Quora discussion).

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 10:26:57
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1991830
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:

(from a Quora discussion).

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 10:29:31
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991833
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Also from The Internet:
“Simply put, there is NO Left-Wing media in Australia. NONE.

What these other answers claim to be Left-Wing (Guardian, ABC, etc.) are Centre-Right at best.

We have two major parties:

The Right/Far-Right Liberal-National coalition
The Right/Centre-Right Labor party”

Now that’s more like it :)

Who’s mad spiel is that?

Just some random extremist from the Internet :) (from a Quora discussion).

There are a lot of arseholes…….I mean a lot of opinions on the internet.
You can go out there, out into the internet and find one that suits you.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 10:32:38
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1991834
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 10:46:20
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991837
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“A senior Labour frontbencher today laid into Jeremy Corbyn over his soft stance on Putin’s invasion of Ukraine and demanded the government urgently rearm in case of a future conflict.

Shadow defence secretary John Healey distanced the party from its former leader after he said he would not send UK military aid to Kyiv if he was in charge in case it was used to invade Russia.”

We need to talk about Jeremy.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 10:51:21
From: buffy
ID: 1991838
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Morning Pilgrims.
Today will be a quiet day of reflection.

Yeah, I’m going to do that. But while I do it, I’ll pick out the weeds around the veggie plants.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 10:56:55
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1991840
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

better talk shit about former Labour leaders to distract from outright bankrolling of Russian interests by conservatives

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 11:09:01
From: Cymek
ID: 1991842
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Greetings

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 11:09:25
From: Cymek
ID: 1991843
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

better talk shit about former Labour leaders to distract from outright bankrolling of Russian interests by conservatives

That Bob Hawke, what a pisshead

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 11:17:18
From: dv
ID: 1991849
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


SCIENCE said:

better talk shit about former Labour leaders to distract from outright bankrolling of Russian interests by conservatives

That Bob Hawke, what a pisshead

Crossbones, what a nofriends ranga

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 11:25:00
From: Cymek
ID: 1991852
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Cymek said:

SCIENCE said:

better talk shit about former Labour leaders to distract from outright bankrolling of Russian interests by conservatives

That Bob Hawke, what a pisshead

Crossbones, what a nofriends ranga

Paul Keating what a poor excuse for a vampire

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 11:25:35
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991853
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Cymek said:

SCIENCE said:

better talk shit about former Labour leaders to distract from outright bankrolling of Russian interests by conservatives

That Bob Hawke, what a pisshead

Crossbones, what a nofriends ranga

And Keating, what a privileged toff he became.
The best way to see Darwin is looking down on it from 30,000 feet while flying to Paris.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 11:29:37
From: buffy
ID: 1991854
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

You know what Arts says about criminals often appearing to be quite “normal”? Just heard on the grapevine about a local offender who I know reasonably well, as well as spouse and offspring. I know they are somewhat “rough” and unrefined, but the offender has copped quite a long sentence for serious offending. A little bit surprised. I can’t find anything online about the case (which we didn’t even know about until now), possibly to protect the victim(s).

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 11:51:19
From: Woodie
ID: 1991859
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


dv said:

Cymek said:

That Bob Hawke, what a pisshead

Crossbones, what a nofriends ranga

And Keating, what a privileged toff he became.
The best way to see Darwin is looking down on it from 30,000 feet while flying to Paris.

Mr Keating thinks Tik Tok is a place in Paris to buy clocks.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 11:56:21
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991863
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


dv said:

Cymek said:

That Bob Hawke, what a pisshead

Crossbones, what a nofriends ranga

And Keating, what a privileged toff he became.
The best way to see Darwin is looking down on it from 30,000 feet while flying to Paris.

All i’ve ever seen of Darwin was what i could see through the bottom of a glass while the C-130 on which i was having a seriously-less-than-comfortable (if free) journey from Perth to Sydney was being refuelled.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:00:50
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991866
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Here’s one for Ms Spock.

Stars that great actress and Irish-speaker, O’Hara, M.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:12:09
From: dv
ID: 1991869
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


You know what Arts says about criminals often appearing to be quite “normal”?

That’s how I know everyone here is on the straight and narrow

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:12:47
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991870
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

You can count on Trump to produce the goods.

It was wet tea-bags all the time. Who’da thunk it?

Boy, i’ll bet buffy will be annoyed about this.

All those macular degeneration cures she must have thrown out with the garbage over the years…

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:12:58
From: dv
ID: 1991871
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Peak Warming Man said:

dv said:

Crossbones, what a nofriends ranga

And Keating, what a privileged toff he became.
The best way to see Darwin is looking down on it from 30,000 feet while flying to Paris.

All i’ve ever seen of Darwin was what i could see through the bottom of a glass while the C-130 on which i was having a seriously-less-than-comfortable (if free) journey from Perth to Sydney was being refuelled.

I had a decent time in Darwin.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:13:28
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991872
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


buffy said:

You know what Arts says about criminals often appearing to be quite “normal”?

That’s how I know everyone here is on the straight and narrow

Thou whom knowest.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:13:58
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991873
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


buffy said:

You know what Arts says about criminals often appearing to be quite “normal”?

That’s how I know everyone here is on the straight and narrow

She said that they ‘often’ appear to be quite normal.

She never said there wasn’t any raving ratbag loonies amongst them at all.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:14:31
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991874
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


You can count on Trump to produce the goods.

It was wet tea-bags all the time. Who’da thunk it?

Boy, i’ll bet buffy will be annoyed about this.

All those macular degeneration cures she must have thrown out with the garbage over the years…

Dunno. Does she use tea bags? ;)

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:15:06
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991875
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


captain_spalding said:

Peak Warming Man said:

And Keating, what a privileged toff he became.
The best way to see Darwin is looking down on it from 30,000 feet while flying to Paris.

All i’ve ever seen of Darwin was what i could see through the bottom of a glass while the C-130 on which i was having a seriously-less-than-comfortable (if free) journey from Perth to Sydney was being refuelled.

I had a decent time in Darwin.

I might have had, too, but the opportunity was not there.

The aircraft was staying only as long as necessary to refuel, and i was in the bar doing the same.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:16:28
From: Tamb
ID: 1991876
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


buffy said:

You know what Arts says about criminals often appearing to be quite “normal”?

That’s how I know everyone here is on the straight and narrow


Yes, I’m straight but I’m getting less narrow each year.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:17:33
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991877
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

That’s a good sweat from mowing in the sun.
They say you should build up a good healthy sweat once a day.
That’s why Scandinavians invented the sauna but we don’t need them, just being out working in nature gets us sweaty and healthy.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:17:43
From: Tamb
ID: 1991879
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


captain_spalding said:

Peak Warming Man said:

And Keating, what a privileged toff he became.
The best way to see Darwin is looking down on it from 30,000 feet while flying to Paris.

All i’ve ever seen of Darwin was what i could see through the bottom of a glass while the C-130 on which i was having a seriously-less-than-comfortable (if free) journey from Perth to Sydney was being refuelled.

I had a decent time in Darwin.


I went to high school there. Got my driving license there too.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:21:24
From: Arts
ID: 1991880
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


captain_spalding said:

Peak Warming Man said:

And Keating, what a privileged toff he became.
The best way to see Darwin is looking down on it from 30,000 feet while flying to Paris.

All i’ve ever seen of Darwin was what i could see through the bottom of a glass while the C-130 on which i was having a seriously-less-than-comfortable (if free) journey from Perth to Sydney was being refuelled.

I had a decent time in Darwin.

too humid for me to enjoy it too much..

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:22:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991881
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


That’s a good sweat from mowing in the sun.
They say you should build up a good healthy sweat once a day.
That’s why Scandinavians invented the sauna but we don’t need them, just being out working in nature gets us sweaty and healthy.

You didn’t have any snow to dive into?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:22:35
From: Arts
ID: 1991882
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


dv said:

buffy said:

You know what Arts says about criminals often appearing to be quite “normal”?

That’s how I know everyone here is on the straight and narrow

She said that they ‘often’ appear to be quite normal.

She never said there wasn’t any raving ratbag loonies amongst them at all.

everyone is a criminal… at some level.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:22:49
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991883
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


dv said:

captain_spalding said:

All i’ve ever seen of Darwin was what i could see through the bottom of a glass while the C-130 on which i was having a seriously-less-than-comfortable (if free) journey from Perth to Sydney was being refuelled.

I had a decent time in Darwin.

too humid for me to enjoy it too much..

I’d be in the same boat.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:24:03
From: dv
ID: 1991885
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


dv said:

captain_spalding said:

All i’ve ever seen of Darwin was what i could see through the bottom of a glass while the C-130 on which i was having a seriously-less-than-comfortable (if free) journey from Perth to Sydney was being refuelled.

I had a decent time in Darwin.

too humid for me to enjoy it too much..

Kind of similar to my home town except without any really hot days.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:24:06
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991886
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


dv said:

captain_spalding said:

All i’ve ever seen of Darwin was what i could see through the bottom of a glass while the C-130 on which i was having a seriously-less-than-comfortable (if free) journey from Perth to Sydney was being refuelled.

I had a decent time in Darwin.


I went to high school there. Got my driving license there too.

And I bet the Philistines didn’t teach you anything about Comtoise, Morbier or Morez clocks.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:24:10
From: Arts
ID: 1991887
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Arts said:

dv said:

I had a decent time in Darwin.

too humid for me to enjoy it too much..

I’d be in the same boat.

I went on a boat while I was there, it is probably my favourite moment.. I sat at the front and they kept feeding me and topping up my champagne glass.. for a three hour tour…

it was quite lovely

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:24:21
From: Tamb
ID: 1991888
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

That’s a good sweat from mowing in the sun.
They say you should build up a good healthy sweat once a day.
That’s why Scandinavians invented the sauna but we don’t need them, just being out working in nature gets us sweaty and healthy.

You didn’t have any snow to dive into?


We moved there from Jakarta, so not too humid.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:25:56
From: Tamb
ID: 1991889
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tamb said:

dv said:

I had a decent time in Darwin.


I went to high school there. Got my driving license there too.

And I bet the Philistines didn’t teach you anything about Comtoise, Morbier or Morez clocks.


No but we learned how to drive, ride & shoot.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:26:46
From: Cymek
ID: 1991890
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


buffy said:

You know what Arts says about criminals often appearing to be quite “normal”?

That’s how I know everyone here is on the straight and narrow

Some real double Y chromos appear in the courts though, bit of a circus out there at times

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:27:04
From: dv
ID: 1991891
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tamb said:

I went to high school there. Got my driving license there too.

And I bet the Philistines didn’t teach you anything about Comtoise, Morbier or Morez clocks.


No but we learned how to drive, ride & shoot.

I didn’t do any shooting but it was fun to find out what my safe maximum speed in the Camry is.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:30:30
From: Michael V
ID: 1991893
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


Death valley – the lowest point in the contiguous US. From there (apparently) you can see the highest point in the 48 contiguous states. I forget the name of that mountain.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:32:14
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991894
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I have never been to Darwin. My father went there and they bombed all around him.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:34:43
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991895
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


dv said:

buffy said:

You know what Arts says about criminals often appearing to be quite “normal”?

That’s how I know everyone here is on the straight and narrow

Some real double Y chromos appear in the courts though, bit of a circus out there at times

Don’t make eye contact type people.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:37:12
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991896
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


SCIENCE said:


Death valley – the lowest point in the contiguous US. From there (apparently) you can see the highest point in the 48 contiguous states. I forget the name of that mountain.

mckinley?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:37:38
From: Michael V
ID: 1991897
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


SCIENCE said:


Death valley – the lowest point in the contiguous US. From there (apparently) you can see the highest point in the 48 contiguous states. I forget the name of that mountain.

Mount Whitney. I used the internet to jog my memory.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:37:38
From: Cymek
ID: 1991898
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Cymek said:

dv said:

That’s how I know everyone here is on the straight and narrow

Some real double Y chromos appear in the courts though, bit of a circus out there at times

Don’t make eye contact type people.

Yes, I mean its somewhat expected given the environment.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:41:54
From: buffy
ID: 1991899
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Lunch report: home made egg and bacon rolls (well, Cam the baker made the bread rolls). Because the four remaining rashers of bacon had reached the stage my mother called “we’d better eat them up to save their lives”.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:43:18
From: Michael V
ID: 1991900
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Michael V said:

SCIENCE said:


Death valley – the lowest point in the contiguous US. From there (apparently) you can see the highest point in the 48 contiguous states. I forget the name of that mountain.

mckinley?

Denali (formerly Mt McKinley) is in Alaska, not part of the 48 contiguous US states. It is the highest mountain in the US and North America, though.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:44:12
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991901
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

gathers pace
chest a little side on at delivery
follows through while looking menacingly…….at

Just activating some muscle twitch memory in case the phone rings.

gathers pace…….

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:44:23
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991902
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

Michael V said:

Death valley – the lowest point in the contiguous US. From there (apparently) you can see the highest point in the 48 contiguous states. I forget the name of that mountain.

mckinley?

Denali (formerly Mt McKinley) is in Alaska, not part of the 48 contiguous US states. It is the highest mountain in the US and North America, though.

righto.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:51:07
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991903
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“Interesting treatment of the pitch in Nagpur. The groundstaff watered the entire centre of the surface & only the length areas outside the left-hander’s leg stump & then rolled only the centre, stopping short every time they got to the good length areas at both ends,”

Someone is throwing aspersions at ground staff gentlemen.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:51:15
From: Woodie
ID: 1991904
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


SCIENCE said:


Death valley – the lowest point in the contiguous US. From there (apparently) you can see the highest point in the 48 contiguous states. I forget the name of that mountain.

I read a survey once, that said 77% of respondents thought that Brokeback Mountain was the highest mountain in the US.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:52:14
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1991905
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


You know what Arts says about criminals often appearing to be quite “normal”? Just heard on the grapevine about a local offender who I know reasonably well, as well as spouse and offspring. I know they are somewhat “rough” and unrefined, but the offender has copped quite a long sentence for serious offending. A little bit surprised. I can’t find anything online about the case (which we didn’t even know about until now), possibly to protect the victim(s).

What was the offence?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:53:43
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1991906
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


captain_spalding said:

Peak Warming Man said:

And Keating, what a privileged toff he became.
The best way to see Darwin is looking down on it from 30,000 feet while flying to Paris.

All i’ve ever seen of Darwin was what i could see through the bottom of a glass while the C-130 on which i was having a seriously-less-than-comfortable (if free) journey from Perth to Sydney was being refuelled.

I had a decent time in Darwin.

me too. but i was a lot younger when i lived there and it was a bit of a frontier town then.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:55:22
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1991907
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


dv said:

captain_spalding said:

All i’ve ever seen of Darwin was what i could see through the bottom of a glass while the C-130 on which i was having a seriously-less-than-comfortable (if free) journey from Perth to Sydney was being refuelled.

I had a decent time in Darwin.

too humid for me to enjoy it too much..

go in The Dry next time.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:56:31
From: buffy
ID: 1991908
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


buffy said:

You know what Arts says about criminals often appearing to be quite “normal”? Just heard on the grapevine about a local offender who I know reasonably well, as well as spouse and offspring. I know they are somewhat “rough” and unrefined, but the offender has copped quite a long sentence for serious offending. A little bit surprised. I can’t find anything online about the case (which we didn’t even know about until now), possibly to protect the victim(s).

What was the offence?

I don’t know exactly, but it was sexual in nature. And at least partly historic.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:56:35
From: dv
ID: 1991909
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I just looked up the highest peak in the Americas, which is also the highest peak outside Asia.

Honestly never heard of it, which is somewhat embarrassing.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:57:24
From: sibeen
ID: 1991910
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


dv said:

captain_spalding said:

All i’ve ever seen of Darwin was what i could see through the bottom of a glass while the C-130 on which i was having a seriously-less-than-comfortable (if free) journey from Perth to Sydney was being refuelled.

I had a decent time in Darwin.

me too. but i was a lot younger when i lived there and it was a bit of a frontier town then.

I did a lot of work there, and in Katherine, in the late 80s. It has changed considerably since then.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:58:40
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1991911
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I just looked up the highest peak in the Americas, which is also the highest peak outside Asia.

Honestly never heard of it, which is somewhat embarrassing.

Did you think it was something else?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:58:48
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1991912
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I just looked up the highest peak in the Americas, which is also the highest peak outside Asia.

Honestly never heard of it, which is somewhat embarrassing.

look on the bright side, we can’t call you a know-it-all now.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 12:58:50
From: buffy
ID: 1991913
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

So now we are going metric and airliners and football fields. Probably metres would have done for all measurements really:

>>The balloon was an estimated 60 metres tall and was carrying a long sensor package underneath, which General VanHerck estimated was the size of a small regional jet.<<

>>The balloon debris is scattered in waters that are about 15 metres deep, but stretch across an area 15 football fields long and 15 football fields across, according to General VanHerck.<<

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:02:26
From: dv
ID: 1991914
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


dv said:

I just looked up the highest peak in the Americas, which is also the highest peak outside Asia.

Honestly never heard of it, which is somewhat embarrassing.

Did you think it was something else?

Not especially

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:13:03
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991915
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

dv said:

I just looked up the highest peak in the Americas, which is also the highest peak outside Asia.

Honestly never heard of it, which is somewhat embarrassing.

Did you think it was something else?

Not especially

It’s also the highest summit in the southern hemisphere.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:13:06
From: buffy
ID: 1991916
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/earthquake-turkiye-why-do-buildings-collapse-like-pancakes/101941856

I was listening to NewsRadio in the car this morning and they were talking to an Australian woman who has been living in Turkiye for 9 years with her husband and family (he is Turkish). They live in a village near the Syrian border. She was explaining that while you are supposed to get permits to build, many people don’t. As a consequence, there are houses which were built 40 and more years ago for the parents, which have had a second storey added for offspring, and sometimes a third also. So they are built on the foundations for a single storey but end up higher. And they collapse in an earthquake.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:13:54
From: Michael V
ID: 1991917
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


“Interesting treatment of the pitch in Nagpur. The groundstaff watered the entire centre of the surface & only the length areas outside the left-hander’s leg stump & then rolled only the centre, stopping short every time they got to the good length areas at both ends,”

Someone is throwing aspersions at ground staff gentlemen.

So, what do you reckon that means for Indian and Australian bowling?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:14:46
From: Michael V
ID: 1991918
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Michael V said:

SCIENCE said:


Death valley – the lowest point in the contiguous US. From there (apparently) you can see the highest point in the 48 contiguous states. I forget the name of that mountain.

I read a survey once, that said 77% of respondents thought that Brokeback Mountain was the highest mountain in the US.

Cowboys…

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:15:59
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991919
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Peak Warming Man said:

“Interesting treatment of the pitch in Nagpur. The groundstaff watered the entire centre of the surface & only the length areas outside the left-hander’s leg stump & then rolled only the centre, stopping short every time they got to the good length areas at both ends,”

Someone is throwing aspersions at ground staff gentlemen.

So, what do you reckon that means for Indian and Australian bowling?

Australia has a shed load (6) lefthand batsmen.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:18:18
From: Michael V
ID: 1991920
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I just looked up the highest peak in the Americas, which is also the highest peak outside Asia.

Honestly never heard of it, which is somewhat embarrassing.

Aconcagua, Argentina, according to the electric internet. I’d not heard of it either. No need to be embarrassed.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:25:02
From: Arts
ID: 1991921
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Arts said:

dv said:

I had a decent time in Darwin.

too humid for me to enjoy it too much..

go in The Dry next time.

I don’t think I’ll go again… I did the tour of the parks and the holes in the ground with the waters.. and saw some crocodiles.. and that’s me done for Darwin… now there’s not a capital city in Australia that I haven’t; been to.. plus a few of the touristy type places… it’s a beautiful country, but I like it where I am.. so once is enough for most places.

I would probably revisit Uluru – since when I was there it was raining .. which is unusual … and I would go back to Thredbo.. because skiing is fun… but other than that… the next flight I have scheduled is Melbourne at the end of the year for the conference…

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:34:02
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991924
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Michael V said:

Peak Warming Man said:

“Interesting treatment of the pitch in Nagpur. The groundstaff watered the entire centre of the surface & only the length areas outside the left-hander’s leg stump & then rolled only the centre, stopping short every time they got to the good length areas at both ends,”

Someone is throwing aspersions at ground staff gentlemen.

So, what do you reckon that means for Indian and Australian bowling?

Australia has a shed load (6) lefthand batsmen.

The bottom line is you can’t trust Indians, right now in India they are auctioning off women, that’s right auctioning off women for the highest price.
It’s not right.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:35:24
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991926
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Michael V said:

So, what do you reckon that means for Indian and Australian bowling?

Australia has a shed load (6) lefthand batsmen.

The bottom line is you can’t trust Indians, right now in India they are auctioning off women, that’s right auctioning off women for the highest price.
It’s not right.

Well, you can’t trust Indians in the coal industry, that seems fairly certain.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:35:26
From: Michael V
ID: 1991927
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Michael V said:

So, what do you reckon that means for Indian and Australian bowling?

Australia has a shed load (6) lefthand batsmen.

The bottom line is you can’t trust Indians, right now in India they are auctioning off women, that’s right auctioning off women for the highest price.
It’s not right.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:37:32
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991928
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

And Craig Foster’s head is shrinking, like those ones you see in museums.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:38:48
From: Neophyte
ID: 1991929
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


JudgeMental said:

dv said:

I had a decent time in Darwin.

me too. but i was a lot younger when i lived there and it was a bit of a frontier town then.

I did a lot of work there, and in Katherine, in the late 80s. It has changed considerably since then.

A friend of mine moved there in the late 80s – said it was not so much a place people went to, more a place where people ended up.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:38:52
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991930
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


And Craig Foster’s head is shrinking, like those ones you see in museums.

Probably won’t be long before he has to move into politics.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:42:34
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991931
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael Parkinson told of how his cricket-mad Yorkshire dad dreamed of putting together a side of nothing but left-handers.

Apparently he never quite achieved it, only getting 9 or so left-handers together, but even so, said Parkinson, the look on the faces of opposition bowlers as left-hander followed left-hander followed left-hander to the crease was something to behold.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:42:36
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991932
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Neophyte said:


sibeen said:

JudgeMental said:

me too. but i was a lot younger when i lived there and it was a bit of a frontier town then.

I did a lot of work there, and in Katherine, in the late 80s. It has changed considerably since then.

A friend of mine moved there in the late 80s – said it was not so much a place people went to, more a place where people ended up.

my dad ended up there after they bombed Darwin

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:48:20
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991934
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Michael Parkinson told of how his cricket-mad Yorkshire dad dreamed of putting together a side of nothing but left-handers.

Apparently he never quite achieved it, only getting 9 or so left-handers together, but even so, said Parkinson, the look on the faces of opposition bowlers as left-hander followed left-hander followed left-hander to the crease was something to behold.


I got the book “My Sporting Life” by Michael Parkinson for Christmas.
Haven’t read it yet but that story could well be in it.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:50:15
From: Cymek
ID: 1991935
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

What is it with people not scanning documents lined up properly, its not hard

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:54:31
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1991936
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


JudgeMental said:

Arts said:

too humid for me to enjoy it too much..

go in The Dry next time.

I don’t think I’ll go again… I did the tour of the parks and the holes in the ground with the waters.. and saw some crocodiles.. and that’s me done for Darwin… now there’s not a capital city in Australia that I haven’t; been to.. plus a few of the touristy type places… it’s a beautiful country, but I like it where I am.. so once is enough for most places.

I would probably revisit Uluru – since when I was there it was raining .. which is unusual … and I would go back to Thredbo.. because skiing is fun… but other than that… the next flight I have scheduled is Melbourne at the end of the year for the conference…

Thanks for giving ample notice.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:56:05
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1991937
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Australia has a shed load (6) lefthand batsmen.

The bottom line is you can’t trust Indians, right now in India they are auctioning off women, that’s right auctioning off women for the highest price.
It’s not right.

Well, you can’t trust Indians in the coal industry, that seems fairly certain.

He’s got his finger in many pies: many much bigger than coal.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:56:57
From: sibeen
ID: 1991938
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Arts said:

JudgeMental said:

go in The Dry next time.

I don’t think I’ll go again… I did the tour of the parks and the holes in the ground with the waters.. and saw some crocodiles.. and that’s me done for Darwin… now there’s not a capital city in Australia that I haven’t; been to.. plus a few of the touristy type places… it’s a beautiful country, but I like it where I am.. so once is enough for most places.

I would probably revisit Uluru – since when I was there it was raining .. which is unusual … and I would go back to Thredbo.. because skiing is fun… but other than that… the next flight I have scheduled is Melbourne at the end of the year for the conference…

Thanks for giving ample notice.

I want exact dates so I can book Mallacoota.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:57:09
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991939
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Just saw a bloke run past with long flowing grey hair and a long flowing grey beard.
He was not struggling, he was striding out.
Now he is either a young bloke who’s had a very hard life or some seventy old very fit bloke.
Or he might have just stolen something.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:57:26
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1991940
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


What is it with people not scanning documents lined up properly, its not hard

Sociopaths.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 13:59:19
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991941
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


What is it with people not scanning documents lined up properly, its not hard

Bastards they are.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:00:06
From: Neophyte
ID: 1991943
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Cymek said:

What is it with people not scanning documents lined up properly, its not hard

Bastards they are.

Worse than Ivan Milat, for sure.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:00:47
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1991944
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


What is it with people not scanning documents lined up properly, its not hard

O tempora, o mores.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:05:47
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991945
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Shoalhaven becomes latest koala extinction region, study finds

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:08:35
From: btm
ID: 1991946
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


What is it with people not scanning documents lined up properly, its not hard

People are damned ignorant apes.
    —  Estragon, Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:11:03
From: Michael V
ID: 1991947
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


What is it with people not scanning documents lined up properly, its not hard

I don’t understand what you mean.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:18:05
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1991948
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Cymek said:

What is it with people not scanning documents lined up properly, its not hard

I don’t understand what you mean.

legit’ though isn’t this what document feeders are for, to make work easy for the bottom feeders

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:21:21
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991949
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


Michael V said:

Cymek said:

What is it with people not scanning documents lined up properly, its not hard

I don’t understand what you mean.

legit’ though isn’t this what document feeders are for, to make work easy for the bottom feeders

subdued polite golf clap

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:22:39
From: Cymek
ID: 1991950
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Cymek said:

What is it with people not scanning documents lined up properly, its not hard

Sociopaths.

I reckon

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:23:09
From: Cymek
ID: 1991951
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Just saw a bloke run past with long flowing grey hair and a long flowing grey beard.
He was not struggling, he was striding out.
Now he is either a young bloke who’s had a very hard life or some seventy old very fit bloke.
Or he might have just stolen something.

Gandalf the Grey on his way to talk with Saruman

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:23:55
From: Cymek
ID: 1991952
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Cymek said:

What is it with people not scanning documents lined up properly, its not hard

I don’t understand what you mean.

They feed them in on an angle so they are scanned not straight.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:24:29
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991953
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Just saw a bloke run past with long flowing grey hair and a long flowing grey beard.
He was not struggling, he was striding out.
Now he is either a young bloke who’s had a very hard life or some seventy old very fit bloke.
Or he might have just stolen something.

Gandalf the Grey on his way to talk with Saruman

smacks forehead
Of course

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:31:56
From: Arts
ID: 1991954
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Arts said:

JudgeMental said:

go in The Dry next time.

I don’t think I’ll go again… I did the tour of the parks and the holes in the ground with the waters.. and saw some crocodiles.. and that’s me done for Darwin… now there’s not a capital city in Australia that I haven’t; been to.. plus a few of the touristy type places… it’s a beautiful country, but I like it where I am.. so once is enough for most places.

I would probably revisit Uluru – since when I was there it was raining .. which is unusual … and I would go back to Thredbo.. because skiing is fun… but other than that… the next flight I have scheduled is Melbourne at the end of the year for the conference…

Thanks for giving ample notice.

why do you think I said it :). rest assured I will not be organising a pud..

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:32:32
From: Arts
ID: 1991955
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Arts said:

I don’t think I’ll go again… I did the tour of the parks and the holes in the ground with the waters.. and saw some crocodiles.. and that’s me done for Darwin… now there’s not a capital city in Australia that I haven’t; been to.. plus a few of the touristy type places… it’s a beautiful country, but I like it where I am.. so once is enough for most places.

I would probably revisit Uluru – since when I was there it was raining .. which is unusual … and I would go back to Thredbo.. because skiing is fun… but other than that… the next flight I have scheduled is Melbourne at the end of the year for the conference…

Thanks for giving ample notice.

I want exact dates so I can book Mallacoota.

actually, that would be good, then I can stay at your place…

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:43:36
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1991956
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


What is it with people not scanning documents lined up properly, its not hard

Worse than Putin, Stalin, Mao and Hitler.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:47:41
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991957
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

New Zealand authorities recover cocaine worth $450 million from Pacific Ocean
New Zealand authorities believes 3.2 tonnes of cocaine floating at sea was bound for Australia.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:48:22
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1991958
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Cymek said:

What is it with people not scanning documents lined up properly, its not hard

Worse than Putin, Stalin, Mao and Hitler.

War criminals that deserve that black robed skeleton guy with the rounded knife blade.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:49:33
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1991959
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


New Zealand authorities recover cocaine worth $450 million from Pacific Ocean
New Zealand authorities believes 3.2 tonnes of cocaine floating at sea was bound for Australia.

New Zealand authorities, feel good now, really good now.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:49:55
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991960
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Cymek said:

What is it with people not scanning documents lined up properly, its not hard

Worse than Putin, Stalin, Mao and Hitler.

War criminals that deserve that black robed skeleton guy with the rounded knife blade.

Scythe.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:51:35
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991961
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


roughbarked said:

New Zealand authorities recover cocaine worth $450 million from Pacific Ocean
New Zealand authorities believes 3.2 tonnes of cocaine floating at sea was bound for Australia.

New Zealand authorities, feel good now, really good now.

All they need now is the call girls.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:52:09
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1991962
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Worse than Putin, Stalin, Mao and Hitler.

War criminals that deserve that black robed skeleton guy with the rounded knife blade.

Scythe.

Thank you. I could not recall the spelling.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:53:27
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991963
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“The iconic sitcom is being revived by Castle Rock Entertainment, with John Cleese writing and starring in the series alongside his daughter, Camilla Cleese.
Matthew George, Rob Reiner, Michele Reiner and Derrick Rossi are set to executive produce the long-awaited reboot.
John, 83 – who co-wrote the original series and played the part of hotel owner Basil Fawlty – said: “What I like about Matt is that, unlike many producers, he really ‘gets’ the creative process.”

Madness.

Last thing he want’s to see in his wiki entry.

“In 2023 Cleese then made a disastrous remake of Fawlty Towers which was a resounding flop resulting with Cleese being hospitalized with early onset curmudgeon.”

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:55:39
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1991964
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

roughbarked said:

New Zealand authorities recover cocaine worth $450 million from Pacific Ocean
New Zealand authorities believes 3.2 tonnes of cocaine floating at sea was bound for Australia.

New Zealand authorities, feel good now, really good now.

All they need now is the call girls.

Then they feel even much better.

Then later, they get punished for feeling way much better, because no one else could feel that good.

Punish those who feel much better than us.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:57:38
From: Cymek
ID: 1991965
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


“The iconic sitcom is being revived by Castle Rock Entertainment, with John Cleese writing and starring in the series alongside his daughter, Camilla Cleese.
Matthew George, Rob Reiner, Michele Reiner and Derrick Rossi are set to executive produce the long-awaited reboot.
John, 83 – who co-wrote the original series and played the part of hotel owner Basil Fawlty – said: “What I like about Matt is that, unlike many producers, he really ‘gets’ the creative process.”

Madness.

Last thing he want’s to see in his wiki entry.

“In 2023 Cleese then made a disastrous remake of Fawlty Towers which was a resounding flop resulting with Cleese being hospitalized with early onset curmudgeon.”

Likely to be what happens.
It worked for the era it was set in, not sure how that would work in modern times

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:57:53
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1991966
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


“The iconic sitcom is being revived by Castle Rock Entertainment, with John Cleese writing and starring in the series alongside his daughter, Camilla Cleese.
Matthew George, Rob Reiner, Michele Reiner and Derrick Rossi are set to executive produce the long-awaited reboot.
John, 83 – who co-wrote the original series and played the part of hotel owner Basil Fawlty – said: “What I like about Matt is that, unlike many producers, he really ‘gets’ the creative process.”

Madness.

Last thing he want’s to see in his wiki entry.

“In 2023 Cleese then made a disastrous remake of Fawlty Towers which was a resounding flop resulting with Cleese being hospitalized with early onset curmudgeon.”

He could make another one where that guy finally gets his glass of wine.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 14:58:28
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1991967
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

roughbarked said:

New Zealand authorities recover cocaine worth $450 million from Pacific Ocean
New Zealand authorities believes 3.2 tonnes of cocaine floating at sea was bound for Australia.

New Zealand authorities, feel good now, really good now.

All they need now is the call girls.

this shit would never have been sorted under Ardern and all her communists

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 15:01:08
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1991968
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

New Zealand authorities, feel good now, really good now.

All they need now is the call girls.

this shit would never have been sorted under Ardern and all her communists

The orgies dwindled down to one, after which its not fun any more.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 15:02:41
From: Cymek
ID: 1991969
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

All they need now is the call girls.

this shit would never have been sorted under Ardern and all her communists

The orgies dwindled down to one, after which its not fun any more.

Poor lonely sheep

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 15:05:45
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1991971
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:

New Zealand authorities, feel good now, really good now.

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

All they need now is the call girls.

this shit would never have been sorted under Ardern and all her communists

The orgies dwindled down to one, after which its not fun any more.

The cocaine shipment arrived too late.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 15:22:08
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991974
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Quicksand warning at Tasmanian beach — but expert says threat is minimal

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/quicksand-warning-at-kingston-beach-hobart/101940532

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 15:27:52
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1991976
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Quicksand warning at Tasmanian beach — but expert says threat is minimal

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/quicksand-warning-at-kingston-beach-hobart/101940532

Good job I haven’t been to a beach in years and years, I might be buried beneath the sands by now.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 15:28:16
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1991977
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The man detectives are seeking is described as being of Mediterranean or Middle Eastern appearance, about 175cm tall with a medium build and dark beard.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 15:31:18
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991978
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Quicksand warning at Tasmanian beach — but expert says threat is minimal

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/quicksand-warning-at-kingston-beach-hobart/101940532

Good job I haven’t been to a beach in years and years, I might be buried beneath the sands by now.

It would have got you back in the sixties but quicksand isn’t much of a risk anymore.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 15:40:13
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1991981
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Arts said:

I don’t think I’ll go again… I did the tour of the parks and the holes in the ground with the waters.. and saw some crocodiles.. and that’s me done for Darwin… now there’s not a capital city in Australia that I haven’t; been to.. plus a few of the touristy type places… it’s a beautiful country, but I like it where I am.. so once is enough for most places.

I would probably revisit Uluru – since when I was there it was raining .. which is unusual … and I would go back to Thredbo.. because skiing is fun… but other than that… the next flight I have scheduled is Melbourne at the end of the year for the conference…

Thanks for giving ample notice.

why do you think I said it :). rest assured I will not be organising a pud..

But Moll will be hosting?!?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 15:45:06
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1991983
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“Australian Brumby Alliance loses Supreme Court case to stop culling in Victoria’s Alpine National Park”

I’m ambivalent on this one.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 15:48:59
From: Michael V
ID: 1991984
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Michael V said:

Cymek said:

What is it with people not scanning documents lined up properly, its not hard

I don’t understand what you mean.

They feed them in on an angle so they are scanned not straight.

Ah. Is some OCD showing there?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 15:52:49
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1991985
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Shoalhaven becomes latest koala extinction region, study finds

Spent the weekend just N of Nowra.

Didn’t see any koalas, but we were visited by kangaroos in the evening.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 15:54:14
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991987
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


roughbarked said:

Shoalhaven becomes latest koala extinction region, study finds

Spent the weekend just N of Nowra.

Didn’t see any koalas, but we were visited by kangaroos in the evening.

Kangaroos can often hop out of the way of fires but Koalas have a worse time of it.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 15:56:06
From: dv
ID: 1991989
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://fb.watch/iyUCAbZVz2/?mibextid=NnVzG8

Ye olde Two Ronnies twin sketch popped up in my feed

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 15:56:11
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1991990
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


“Australian Brumby Alliance loses Supreme Court case to stop culling in Victoria’s Alpine National Park”

I’m ambivalent on this one.

I’m into culling all the stallions and old mares. And then buying a stallion for a half mill at the yearling sales and letting it go.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 15:59:17
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991992
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Peak Warming Man said:

“Australian Brumby Alliance loses Supreme Court case to stop culling in Victoria’s Alpine National Park”

I’m ambivalent on this one.

I’m into culling all the stallions and old mares. And then buying a stallion for a half mill at the yearling sales and letting it go.

I reckon there’s plenty of cleared spaces to put horses. It is criminal to leave them on critically endangered habitat.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:00:48
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991995
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Anyway. Charlie has put his face on a stamp.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:00:55
From: sibeen
ID: 1991996
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sibeen said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

Thanks for giving ample notice.

I want exact dates so I can book Mallacoota.

actually, that would be good, then I can stay at your place…

We have a spare room and we’re 5 minutes walk from the train station which takes 20 minutes into town.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:01:18
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1991997
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

Peak Warming Man said:

“Australian Brumby Alliance loses Supreme Court case to stop culling in Victoria’s Alpine National Park”

I’m ambivalent on this one.

I’m into culling all the stallions and old mares. And then buying a stallion for a half mill at the yearling sales and letting it go.

I reckon there’s plenty of cleared spaces to put horses. It is criminal to leave them on critically endangered habitat.

like an empty plate, or the glue machine

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:03:13
From: esselte
ID: 1991998
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


New Zealand authorities recover cocaine worth $450 million from Pacific Ocean
New Zealand authorities believes 3.2 tonnes of cocaine floating at sea was bound for Australia.

What with the water damage I don’t think we should offer them any more than $400 million for it.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:04:29
From: roughbarked
ID: 1991999
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Thieving murdering bastards stole orchids they won’t be able to grow. Which means they will surely die.
Link

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:04:52
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992000
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

esselte said:


roughbarked said:

New Zealand authorities recover cocaine worth $450 million from Pacific Ocean
New Zealand authorities believes 3.2 tonnes of cocaine floating at sea was bound for Australia.

What with the water damage I don’t think we should offer them any more than $400 million for it.

treefiddy

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:06:32
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992001
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

Peak Warming Man said:

“Australian Brumby Alliance loses Supreme Court case to stop culling in Victoria’s Alpine National Park”

I’m ambivalent on this one.

I’m into culling all the stallions and old mares. And then buying a stallion for a half mill at the yearling sales and letting it go.

I reckon there’s plenty of cleared spaces to put horses. It is criminal to leave them on critically endangered habitat.

you’re right. Some of those alpine meadow are beautiful in flower in spring/summer.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:13:05
From: buffy
ID: 1992002
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


What is it with people not scanning documents lined up properly, its not hard

I probably can’t comment on that – I recently scanned one upside down. But I did turn it before I sent it on to the solicitor.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:16:18
From: Michael V
ID: 1992003
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


roughbarked said:

sarahs mum said:

I’m into culling all the stallions and old mares. And then buying a stallion for a half mill at the yearling sales and letting it go.

I reckon there’s plenty of cleared spaces to put horses. It is criminal to leave them on critically endangered habitat.

like an empty plate, or the glue machine

Approve.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:18:47
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992004
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


https://fb.watch/iyUCAbZVz2/?mibextid=NnVzG8

Ye olde Two Ronnies twin sketch popped up in my feed

It’s an amusing one.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:21:20
From: Woodie
ID: 1992005
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


The man detectives are seeking is described as being of Mediterranean or Middle Eastern appearance, about 175cm tall with a medium build and dark beard.

Well that rules me out then, hey what but.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:21:23
From: Cymek
ID: 1992006
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


dv said:

https://fb.watch/iyUCAbZVz2/?mibextid=NnVzG8

Ye olde Two Ronnies twin sketch popped up in my feed

It’s an amusing one.

Does it hold up in this day and age

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:22:52
From: buffy
ID: 1992007
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


SCIENCE said:

The man detectives are seeking is described as being of Mediterranean or Middle Eastern appearance, about 175cm tall with a medium build and dark beard.

Well that rules me out then, hey what but.

Yes, it doesn’t say anything about him being competent in high heels.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:24:35
From: buffy
ID: 1992008
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Mr buffy just pointed this out to me:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/tanya-plibersek-blocks-clive-palmer-central-qld-coal-mine/101945208

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:27:52
From: buffy
ID: 1992009
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Mr buffy is reading the news. On this one, he wants to know what the problem is with these cameras, considering the number of tourists who rattle through the war memorial every year…with cameras…

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/chinese-made-cameras-removed-from-australian-war-memorial/101945414

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:28:32
From: Woodie
ID: 1992010
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Woodie said:

SCIENCE said:

The man detectives are seeking is described as being of Mediterranean or Middle Eastern appearance, about 175cm tall with a medium build and dark beard.

Well that rules me out then, hey what but.

Yes, it doesn’t say anything about him being competent in high heels.

:)

Ms Buffy, I am also not Mediterranean nor of Middle Eastern appearance, nor about 175cm tall am not of medium build and do not have a dark beard.

However I do wear glasses. 😎🤓

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:31:44
From: buffy
ID: 1992011
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


buffy said:

Woodie said:

Yes, it doesn’t say anything about him being competent in high heels.

:)

Ms Buffy, I am also not Mediterranean nor of Middle Eastern appearance, nor about 175cm tall am not of medium build and do not have a dark beard.

However I do wear glasses. 😎🤓


So I take it you are a tall, svelte blonde of Scandinavian extraction. In terms of looks, anyway…

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:33:47
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992012
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


SCIENCE said:

The man detectives are seeking is described as being of Mediterranean or Middle Eastern appearance, about 175cm tall with a medium build and dark beard.

Well that rules me out then, hey what but.

Might have been your twin brother.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:35:06
From: buffy
ID: 1992013
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

And isn’t he a handsome one! This is labelled as a Southern Blue Devil, someone photographed at the end of January near Queenscliff.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:36:44
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992014
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


And isn’t he a handsome one! This is labelled as a Southern Blue Devil, someone photographed at the end of January near Queenscliff.


Yeah well it was blue that day.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:37:52
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1992016
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Mr buffy just pointed this out to me:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/tanya-plibersek-blocks-clive-palmer-central-qld-coal-mine/101945208

These greedy sociopaths have got to be stopped. Well done, Tanya.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:39:39
From: Woodie
ID: 1992017
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Woodie said:

buffy said:

Ms Buffy, I am also not Mediterranean nor of Middle Eastern appearance, nor about 175cm tall am not of medium build and do not have a dark beard.

However I do wear glasses. 😎🤓


So I take it you are a tall, svelte blonde of Scandinavian extraction. In terms of looks, anyway…

All of the above. With glasses.👓 and a hat. 🤠

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:42:10
From: buffy
ID: 1992018
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


buffy said:

Woodie said:

So I take it you are a tall, svelte blonde of Scandinavian extraction. In terms of looks, anyway…

All of the above. With glasses.👓 and a hat. 🤠

I hope you sport a feather of great colour in your hat.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:48:53
From: Michael V
ID: 1992019
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


buffy said:

Mr buffy just pointed this out to me:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/tanya-plibersek-blocks-clive-palmer-central-qld-coal-mine/101945208

These greedy sociopaths have got to be stopped. Well done, Tanya.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:49:08
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1992020
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:

buffy said:

Mr buffy just pointed this out to me:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/tanya-plibersek-blocks-clive-palmer-central-qld-coal-mine/101945208

These greedy sociopaths have got to be stopped. Well done, Tanya.

rich businessarsehole played it wrong though, made enemies running funnel parties, would have been more successful by doing what USSA got and capturing the major righter party, ah well there’s still next time

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:50:07
From: Woodie
ID: 1992021
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Woodie said:

SCIENCE said:

The man detectives are seeking is described as being of Mediterranean or Middle Eastern appearance, about 175cm tall with a medium build and dark beard.

Well that rules me out then, hey what but.

Might have been your twin brother.

He’s a fraud and a charlatan.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:55:40
From: buffy
ID: 1992023
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Food report. I am cook. I have prepared a tuna bake including multitudinous chopped veggies of various colours, grated cheese, French onion soup mix, macaroni, milk and topped with home made bread crumbs (sometimes I remember to crumb the stale bread and freeze it). I may have over catered. I think I probably have about 8 serves in the big baking dish – once I started chopping veggies, I just kept going. I expect I can freeze some. Or have it again in a couple of days time, without doing the preparing bit.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 16:56:37
From: Cymek
ID: 1992024
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

PermeateFree said:

buffy said:

Mr buffy just pointed this out to me:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/tanya-plibersek-blocks-clive-palmer-central-qld-coal-mine/101945208

These greedy sociopaths have got to be stopped. Well done, Tanya.

rich businessarsehole played it wrong though, made enemies running funnel parties, would have been more successful by doing what USSA got and capturing the major righter party, ah well there’s still next time

Funnel parties sound kinky, some German thing I bet

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:03:31
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992025
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Mr buffy just pointed this out to me:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/tanya-plibersek-blocks-clive-palmer-central-qld-coal-mine/101945208

Block everything he tries to do.

This would be good for everyone.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:04:54
From: Michael V
ID: 1992026
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/fact-check-did-labor-just-introduce-a-sneaky-new-beer-tax/101928006

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:08:20
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1992028
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


buffy said:

Mr buffy just pointed this out to me:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/tanya-plibersek-blocks-clive-palmer-central-qld-coal-mine/101945208

Block everything he tries to do.

This would be good for everyone.

‘Block his consumption of oxygen’ springs to mind.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:08:51
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1992029
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Woodie said:

Well that rules me out then, hey what but.

Might have been your twin brother.

He’s a fraud and a charlatan.

So, he’s a relation, then?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:11:54
From: transition
ID: 1992031
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I reads lot of different news, watches stuff on the tube too

and just reads this below
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/alcohol-restrictions-introduced-in-laverton-to-combat-violence/101921210

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:11:57
From: Michael V
ID: 1992032
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

buffy said:

Mr buffy just pointed this out to me:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/tanya-plibersek-blocks-clive-palmer-central-qld-coal-mine/101945208

Block everything he tries to do.

This would be good for everyone.

‘Block his consumption of oxygen’ springs to mind.

LOLOL

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:12:08
From: buffy
ID: 1992034
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/fact-check-did-labor-just-introduce-a-sneaky-new-beer-tax/101928006

As a non beer drinker I didn’t bother to read that. I’ve now skimmed it. I didn’t need to know.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:12:39
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992036
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Food report. I am cook. I have prepared a tuna bake including multitudinous chopped veggies of various colours, grated cheese, French onion soup mix, macaroni, milk and topped with home made bread crumbs (sometimes I remember to crumb the stale bread and freeze it). I may have over catered. I think I probably have about 8 serves in the big baking dish – once I started chopping veggies, I just kept going. I expect I can freeze some. Or have it again in a couple of days time, without doing the preparing bit.

Goodo.

Weight loss diet in full swing this end so it’s just a nuked eggmess of 1 x egg, peas, spinach, no added fat.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:15:05
From: Michael V
ID: 1992038
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Michael V said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/fact-check-did-labor-just-introduce-a-sneaky-new-beer-tax/101928006

As a non beer drinker I didn’t bother to read that. I’ve now skimmed it. I didn’t need to know.

Basically, the opposition member lied in almost all aspects of his statement to the public.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:15:23
From: dv
ID: 1992039
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Anyway. Charlie has put his face on a stamp.

I suppose that means 1st class, but that really looks like a capital I rather than a 1.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:19:50
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1992040
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


roughbarked said:

Anyway. Charlie has put his face on a stamp.

I suppose that means 1st class, but that really looks like a capital I rather than a 1.

Doesn’t ‘first class post’ mean that your mail gets delayed/lost/damaged in a superior locale?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:20:46
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1992042
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


roughbarked said:

Anyway. Charlie has put his face on a stamp.

I suppose that means 1st class, but that really looks like a capital I rather than a 1.

it is the german ist, so is king charles. a nod to his heritage.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:25:08
From: dv
ID: 1992043
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


dv said:

roughbarked said:

Anyway. Charlie has put his face on a stamp.

I suppose that means 1st class, but that really looks like a capital I rather than a 1.

it is the german ist, so is king charles. a nod to his heritage.

Wer ist der König?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:26:32
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992044
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

For high fibre, low calorie snacks I’m going to pickle some turnips next week.

Pleasantly crisp and slightly hot, not many carbs. Not much else in them either but they’re satisfying.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:29:04
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992045
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


For high fibre, low calorie snacks I’m going to pickle some turnips next week.

Pleasantly crisp and slightly hot, not many carbs. Not much else in them either but they’re satisfying.

In the Middle East they cut them into sticks and pickle them with beetroot to make them pink.

But I’m going to thinly slice them and leave them white.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:32:45
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1992046
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


JudgeMental said:

dv said:

I suppose that means 1st class, but that really looks like a capital I rather than a 1.

it is the german ist, so is king charles. a nod to his heritage.

Wer ist der König?

the poms are subtle.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:33:18
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1992047
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


roughbarked said:

Anyway. Charlie has put his face on a stamp.

I suppose that means 1st class, but that really looks like a capital I rather than a 1.

I’m not au fait with British stamps but are we sure it doesn’t mean 1 pound sterling?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:36:10
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1992048
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


dv said:

roughbarked said:

Anyway. Charlie has put his face on a stamp.

I suppose that means 1st class, but that really looks like a capital I rather than a 1.

I’m not au fait with British stamps but are we sure it doesn’t mean 1 pound sterling?

What does 1st mean on a British stamp?
After first- and second-class postage was introduced, Non-Value Indicated (NVI) stamps were produced marked “1st” and “2nd”, valid for the lowest weight of that class. Either a “class” stamp can be used, or denominated stamps to the value of the postage.

wiki

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:36:59
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992049
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


dv said:

roughbarked said:

Anyway. Charlie has put his face on a stamp.

I suppose that means 1st class, but that really looks like a capital I rather than a 1.

I’m not au fait with British stamps but are we sure it doesn’t mean 1 pound sterling?

No, it does just mean 1st class.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:37:20
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1992050
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

dv said:

I suppose that means 1st class, but that really looks like a capital I rather than a 1.

I’m not au fait with British stamps but are we sure it doesn’t mean 1 pound sterling?

What does 1st mean on a British stamp?
After first- and second-class postage was introduced, Non-Value Indicated (NVI) stamps were produced marked “1st” and “2nd”, valid for the lowest weight of that class. Either a “class” stamp can be used, or denominated stamps to the value of the postage.

wiki

Ta.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:38:40
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992051
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Mr buffy is reading the news. On this one, he wants to know what the problem is with these cameras, considering the number of tourists who rattle through the war memorial every year…with cameras…

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/chinese-made-cameras-removed-from-australian-war-memorial/101945414

The cameras call home to the manufacturing country.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:39:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992052
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


And isn’t he a handsome one! This is labelled as a Southern Blue Devil, someone photographed at the end of January near Queenscliff.


Bewdiful.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:42:37
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992053
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


roughbarked said:

Anyway. Charlie has put his face on a stamp.

I suppose that means 1st class, but that really looks like a capital I rather than a 1.

1 pound sterling.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:43:25
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992054
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


dv said:

roughbarked said:

Anyway. Charlie has put his face on a stamp.

I suppose that means 1st class, but that really looks like a capital I rather than a 1.

I’m not au fait with British stamps but are we sure it doesn’t mean 1 pound sterling?

Nods.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 17:44:16
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992055
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

dv said:

I suppose that means 1st class, but that really looks like a capital I rather than a 1.

I’m not au fait with British stamps but are we sure it doesn’t mean 1 pound sterling?

What does 1st mean on a British stamp?
After first- and second-class postage was introduced, Non-Value Indicated (NVI) stamps were produced marked “1st” and “2nd”, valid for the lowest weight of that class. Either a “class” stamp can be used, or denominated stamps to the value of the postage.

wiki

Well blow me down with a feather.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 18:02:01
From: buffy
ID: 1992058
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

For high fibre, low calorie snacks I’m going to pickle some turnips next week.

Pleasantly crisp and slightly hot, not many carbs. Not much else in them either but they’re satisfying.

In the Middle East they cut them into sticks and pickle them with beetroot to make them pink.

But I’m going to thinly slice them and leave them white.

Yuck. I’ll eat the beetroot.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 18:03:16
From: buffy
ID: 1992059
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

Mr buffy is reading the news. On this one, he wants to know what the problem is with these cameras, considering the number of tourists who rattle through the war memorial every year…with cameras…

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/chinese-made-cameras-removed-from-australian-war-memorial/101945414

The cameras call home to the manufacturing country.

Well, I got that that is what is being inferred. But what is there to see in a public museum that could be considered a problem?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 18:03:32
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992060
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

For high fibre, low calorie snacks I’m going to pickle some turnips next week.

Pleasantly crisp and slightly hot, not many carbs. Not much else in them either but they’re satisfying.

In the Middle East they cut them into sticks and pickle them with beetroot to make them pink.

But I’m going to thinly slice them and leave them white.

Yuck. I’ll eat the beetroot.

I’ve always loved turnips. They’re like oversized radishes.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 18:04:20
From: buffy
ID: 1992061
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


buffy said:

Bubblecar said:

In the Middle East they cut them into sticks and pickle them with beetroot to make them pink.

But I’m going to thinly slice them and leave them white.

Yuck. I’ll eat the beetroot.

I’ve always loved turnips. They’re like oversized radishes.

I don’t like radishes either, except that I do like the look of radish roses as a garnish. I use turnip only in pasties.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 18:06:40
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992062
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Bubblecar said:

buffy said:

Yuck. I’ll eat the beetroot.

I’ve always loved turnips. They’re like oversized radishes.

I don’t like radishes either, except that I do like the look of radish roses as a garnish. I use turnip only in pasties.

Swede is more common in pasties than turnip, but yes, that’s an admirable replacement. I’m not much of a fan of swede.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 18:08:24
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1992063
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

Mr buffy is reading the news. On this one, he wants to know what the problem is with these cameras, considering the number of tourists who rattle through the war memorial every year…with cameras…

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/chinese-made-cameras-removed-from-australian-war-memorial/101945414

The cameras call home to the manufacturing country.

Well, I got that that is what is being inferred. But what is there to see in a public museum that could be considered a problem?

I think it concerns the secure computer networks on the museum system. I imagine something as simple as being part of the wider defense department network could be a problem.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 18:15:04
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992064
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

Mr buffy is reading the news. On this one, he wants to know what the problem is with these cameras, considering the number of tourists who rattle through the war memorial every year…with cameras…

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/chinese-made-cameras-removed-from-australian-war-memorial/101945414

The cameras call home to the manufacturing country.

Well, I got that that is what is being inferred. But what is there to see in a public museum that could be considered a problem?

Like you I am mystified.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 18:16:24
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992065
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


buffy said:

roughbarked said:

The cameras call home to the manufacturing country.

Well, I got that that is what is being inferred. But what is there to see in a public museum that could be considered a problem?

I think it concerns the secure computer networks on the museum system. I imagine something as simple as being part of the wider defense department network could be a problem.

Making a little more sense.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 18:17:40
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1992066
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

Mr buffy is reading the news. On this one, he wants to know what the problem is with these cameras, considering the number of tourists who rattle through the war memorial every year…with cameras…

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-08/chinese-made-cameras-removed-from-australian-war-memorial/101945414

The cameras call home to the manufacturing country.

Well, I got that that is what is being inferred. But what is there to see in a public museum that could be considered a problem?

the story explains it.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 18:24:52
From: Cymek
ID: 1992069
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

roughbarked said:

The cameras call home to the manufacturing country.

Well, I got that that is what is being inferred. But what is there to see in a public museum that could be considered a problem?

Like you I am mystified.

You’d think if you had concerns you could get an expert in to go through the code and see if it dials home with information you haven’t authorised.
If it did you could feed it false data

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 18:40:00
From: buffy
ID: 1992076
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


buffy said:

roughbarked said:

The cameras call home to the manufacturing country.

Well, I got that that is what is being inferred. But what is there to see in a public museum that could be considered a problem?

I think it concerns the secure computer networks on the museum system. I imagine something as simple as being part of the wider defense department network could be a problem.

I wouldn’t expect the museum to be part of the defense department. I think it is quite independent.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 18:40:26
From: buffy
ID: 1992077
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


buffy said:

roughbarked said:

The cameras call home to the manufacturing country.

Well, I got that that is what is being inferred. But what is there to see in a public museum that could be considered a problem?

the story explains it.

Does it? Which bit did I miss?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 18:45:39
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1992081
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


JudgeMental said:

buffy said:

Well, I got that that is what is being inferred. But what is there to see in a public museum that could be considered a problem?

the story explains it.

Does it? Which bit did I miss?

“But in saying that, I wouldn’t install Hikvision in every location, because, in my opinion, when it comes to national security we need to be extremely selective.

“If are connected to the main network, let’s say, where there is secret information, that’s a big no-no.

……

Unless one knows how their IT system is set up then basically all here are in the dark. It could be that people in parliament house have access to feeds from the AWM. They could then be on PH network which might have sensitive data on it.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 18:55:05
From: Cymek
ID: 1992083
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


buffy said:

JudgeMental said:

the story explains it.

Does it? Which bit did I miss?

“But in saying that, I wouldn’t install Hikvision in every location, because, in my opinion, when it comes to national security we need to be extremely selective.

“If are connected to the main network, let’s say, where there is secret information, that’s a big no-no.

……

Unless one knows how their IT system is set up then basically all here are in the dark. It could be that people in parliament house have access to feeds from the AWM. They could then be on PH network which might have sensitive data on it.

With the resources on an entire nation and being inscrutable they’d likely try to gathering information in this manner.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 19:11:09
From: buffy
ID: 1992093
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


buffy said:

JudgeMental said:

the story explains it.

Does it? Which bit did I miss?

“But in saying that, I wouldn’t install Hikvision in every location, because, in my opinion, when it comes to national security we need to be extremely selective.

“If are connected to the main network, let’s say, where there is secret information, that’s a big no-no.

……

Unless one knows how their IT system is set up then basically all here are in the dark. It could be that people in parliament house have access to feeds from the AWM. They could then be on PH network which might have sensitive data on it.

Pretty much anyone can use the AWM online. I used it to track down some information about Mr buffy’s Dad. Although I did then go there to the library to look at some books and records that I requested they get out for me. I suspect a lot more of it is now digitised.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 19:14:45
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1992094
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


JudgeMental said:

buffy said:

Does it? Which bit did I miss?

“But in saying that, I wouldn’t install Hikvision in every location, because, in my opinion, when it comes to national security we need to be extremely selective.

“If are connected to the main network, let’s say, where there is secret information, that’s a big no-no.

……

Unless one knows how their IT system is set up then basically all here are in the dark. It could be that people in parliament house have access to feeds from the AWM. They could then be on PH network which might have sensitive data on it.

Pretty much anyone can use the AWM online. I used it to track down some information about Mr buffy’s Dad. Although I did then go there to the library to look at some books and records that I requested they get out for me. I suspect a lot more of it is now digitised.

can you use the security cameras?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 19:50:06
From: buffy
ID: 1992097
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


buffy said:

JudgeMental said:

“But in saying that, I wouldn’t install Hikvision in every location, because, in my opinion, when it comes to national security we need to be extremely selective.

“If are connected to the main network, let’s say, where there is secret information, that’s a big no-no.

……

Unless one knows how their IT system is set up then basically all here are in the dark. It could be that people in parliament house have access to feeds from the AWM. They could then be on PH network which might have sensitive data on it.

Pretty much anyone can use the AWM online. I used it to track down some information about Mr buffy’s Dad. Although I did then go there to the library to look at some books and records that I requested they get out for me. I suspect a lot more of it is now digitised.

can you use the security cameras?

I wouldn’t expect people at Parliament house to be able to either. I think I’m missing something here.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 19:50:57
From: buffy
ID: 1992098
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Anyway, I’m off to sit in front of the TV for a bit. Hard Quiz and Charlie Pickering. I don’t think Charlie is going to be able to poke much fun at the news this week.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 19:51:48
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1992099
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


JudgeMental said:

buffy said:

Pretty much anyone can use the AWM online. I used it to track down some information about Mr buffy’s Dad. Although I did then go there to the library to look at some books and records that I requested they get out for me. I suspect a lot more of it is now digitised.

can you use the security cameras?

I wouldn’t expect people at Parliament house to be able to either. I think I’m missing something here.

Maybe the security people in PH can.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 19:54:12
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1992100
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

it’s important to look at the bigger picture here though, if the concern is that CHINA produces cameras that return to CHINA and that’s bad then all we need is a simple realignment with shared goals with CHINA for security and social credit and it all becomes good

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 20:04:23
From: Woodie
ID: 1992102
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Anyway, I’m off to sit in front of the TV for a bit. Hard Quiz and Charlie Pickering. I don’t think Charlie is going to be able to poke much fun at the news this week.

Balloon…….. POP………..Plop.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 21:47:34
From: ms spock
ID: 1992116
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Spiny Norman said:

Arts said:

That never happens, you’re lying.

I just remembered why I have those fittings – About two or so years ago the same thing happened in a different spot, and I had to make a dash to Bunnings to get some fittings. So I got a few of them that looked like they might work, and only used one of them. And so one of the surplus ones did the job today.

I think you need to get a map of where the pipes are on your property and stop digging there.

+1

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 21:54:57
From: ms spock
ID: 1992119
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Neophyte said:


buffy said:

captain_spalding said:

No, those long multisyllabic German words give you plenty of time to work out what they’re saying.

As well as…I did German for 5 years plus a term at High School and I did French for one term. And we’ve watched a lot of Kommissar Rex.

:)

Did so much German at high school that my best friend married the German teacher.

This is in intriguing comment.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 22:09:09
From: transition
ID: 1992121
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

armarnarmarnar

hears crickets out there, outside

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 22:12:15
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1992123
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

soooo you think you’re a keen fisherman/woman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ1IdfrvW0A

Link

CRAZIEST CLIFF FISHING LOCATION

Gido’s Fishing Adventures

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 22:21:27
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1992124
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Sumitomo Electric plans long-life battery plant in North America
Redox flow cells can last 30 years, or twice as long as lithium-ion ones

Sumitomo Electric’s test facility for redox flow batteries in California.
February 7, 2023 18:19 JST

OSAKA — Japan’s Sumitomo Electric Industries plans to build a new battery plant in North America as the U.S. accelerates its shift to sustainable energy, Nikkei has learned.

Sumitomo wants to produce large-capacity batteries called “redox flow cells,” which are used to store electricity generated by wind turbines and other forms of renewable energy. The batteries are less prone to degradation than conventional lithium-ion batteries. Their battery life of up to 30 years is expected to be twice as long as that of lithium-ion batteries.

The battery market in North America is expected to expand to 1.7 trillion yen ($12.9 billion) by 2035, according to Japanese research firm Fuji Keizai Group. Sumitomo hopes that by building a local production base, it would gain first-mover advantage.

Osamu Inoue, president of the company, told Nikkei in a recent interview that the U.S. will become the world’s largest battery market, with California state leading the way. He added that the company planned to expand its business by producing batteries in the U.S. and Japan.

The company is in the midst of planning such a move and it sees Texas and the city of Aguascalientes in Mexico as options for its base.

Sumitomo hopes to open the plant by 2024. The company plans to procure key materials from local companies and assemble them before it delivers the batteries to utility companies. The company wants to make the batteries in Osaka as well and expects to increase production capacity by three times, with the aim of generating 10 billion yen in sales from the business by 2025.

The redox flow battery works by circulating vanadium, in liquid form, in the tank. The battery uses vanadium electrolyte to store energy and enable batteries to have a longer and safer life. Given that renewable energy is subject to weather and its supply can be unstable, such batteries would be greatly useful for the transition from fossil fuels.

Fuji Keizai Group expects that the global market of stationary batteries will grow 3.8 times to 5.4 trillion yen by 2035 from 2021. North America will lead the growth with an increase of 4.1 times to 1.7 trillion yen, followed by 1.1 trillion yen in China, and 746.6 billion yen in Europe.

Renewables currently account for 21% of the energy mix in the U.S., according to the International Energy Agency, lower than that of China and some European countries.

President Joe Biden’s administration has pledged to achieve net-zero emissions in the electricity sector by 2035 and wants to introduce offshore wind power and other renewables. In California, the local government requires some utility companies to install large batteries.

While lithium-ion batteries are widely used, companies are racing to develop new types of energy storage, including solid-state batteries for electric vehicles.

Sumitomo led the way in developing redox flow batteries by putting them into commercial use in 2001 for the first time in the world. The battery is too large to be used in EVs but it is safe and durable for large-capacity storage.

The installation costs of such batteries vary but are often around 1.5 times higher than those of lithium-ion batteries. The company believes that its redox flow batteries can be more competitive in the long run as their capacity can be increased by adding electrolyte.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Technology/Sumitomo-Electric-plans-long-life-battery-plant-in-North-America?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 22:23:50
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1992125
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Sumitomo Electric plans long-life battery plant in North America
Redox flow cells can last 30 years, or twice as long as lithium-ion ones

Sumitomo Electric’s test facility for redox flow batteries in California.
February 7, 2023 18:19 JST

OSAKA — Japan’s Sumitomo Electric Industries plans to build a new battery plant in North America as the U.S. accelerates its shift to sustainable energy, Nikkei has learned.

Sumitomo wants to produce large-capacity batteries called “redox flow cells,” which are used to store electricity generated by wind turbines and other forms of renewable energy. The batteries are less prone to degradation than conventional lithium-ion batteries. Their battery life of up to 30 years is expected to be twice as long as that of lithium-ion batteries.

The battery market in North America is expected to expand to 1.7 trillion yen ($12.9 billion) by 2035, according to Japanese research firm Fuji Keizai Group. Sumitomo hopes that by building a local production base, it would gain first-mover advantage.

Osamu Inoue, president of the company, told Nikkei in a recent interview that the U.S. will become the world’s largest battery market, with California state leading the way. He added that the company planned to expand its business by producing batteries in the U.S. and Japan.

The company is in the midst of planning such a move and it sees Texas and the city of Aguascalientes in Mexico as options for its base.

Sumitomo hopes to open the plant by 2024. The company plans to procure key materials from local companies and assemble them before it delivers the batteries to utility companies. The company wants to make the batteries in Osaka as well and expects to increase production capacity by three times, with the aim of generating 10 billion yen in sales from the business by 2025.

The redox flow battery works by circulating vanadium, in liquid form, in the tank. The battery uses vanadium electrolyte to store energy and enable batteries to have a longer and safer life. Given that renewable energy is subject to weather and its supply can be unstable, such batteries would be greatly useful for the transition from fossil fuels.

Fuji Keizai Group expects that the global market of stationary batteries will grow 3.8 times to 5.4 trillion yen by 2035 from 2021. North America will lead the growth with an increase of 4.1 times to 1.7 trillion yen, followed by 1.1 trillion yen in China, and 746.6 billion yen in Europe.

Renewables currently account for 21% of the energy mix in the U.S., according to the International Energy Agency, lower than that of China and some European countries.

President Joe Biden’s administration has pledged to achieve net-zero emissions in the electricity sector by 2035 and wants to introduce offshore wind power and other renewables. In California, the local government requires some utility companies to install large batteries.

While lithium-ion batteries are widely used, companies are racing to develop new types of energy storage, including solid-state batteries for electric vehicles.

Sumitomo led the way in developing redox flow batteries by putting them into commercial use in 2001 for the first time in the world. The battery is too large to be used in EVs but it is safe and durable for large-capacity storage.

The installation costs of such batteries vary but are often around 1.5 times higher than those of lithium-ion batteries. The company believes that its redox flow batteries can be more competitive in the long run as their capacity can be increased by adding electrolyte.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Technology/Sumitomo-Electric-plans-long-life-battery-plant-in-North-America?

nicely excluded that this is an Australian invention

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 22:25:08
From: Woodie
ID: 1992126
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

How many different coal mines has Clive Palmer had blocked? Or is it the same one over and over and over again?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 22:28:20
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1992127
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Sumitomo Electric plans long-life battery plant in North America
Redox flow cells can last 30 years, or twice as long as lithium-ion ones

Sumitomo Electric’s test facility for redox flow batteries in California.
February 7, 2023 18:19 JST

OSAKA — Japan’s Sumitomo Electric Industries plans to build a new battery plant in North America as the U.S. accelerates its shift to sustainable energy, Nikkei has learned.

Sumitomo wants to produce large-capacity batteries called “redox flow cells,” which are used to store electricity generated by wind turbines and other forms of renewable energy. The batteries are less prone to degradation than conventional lithium-ion batteries. Their battery life of up to 30 years is expected to be twice as long as that of lithium-ion batteries.

The battery market in North America is expected to expand to 1.7 trillion yen ($12.9 billion) by 2035, according to Japanese research firm Fuji Keizai Group. Sumitomo hopes that by building a local production base, it would gain first-mover advantage.

Osamu Inoue, president of the company, told Nikkei in a recent interview that the U.S. will become the world’s largest battery market, with California state leading the way. He added that the company planned to expand its business by producing batteries in the U.S. and Japan.

The company is in the midst of planning such a move and it sees Texas and the city of Aguascalientes in Mexico as options for its base.

Sumitomo hopes to open the plant by 2024. The company plans to procure key materials from local companies and assemble them before it delivers the batteries to utility companies. The company wants to make the batteries in Osaka as well and expects to increase production capacity by three times, with the aim of generating 10 billion yen in sales from the business by 2025.

The redox flow battery works by circulating vanadium, in liquid form, in the tank. The battery uses vanadium electrolyte to store energy and enable batteries to have a longer and safer life. Given that renewable energy is subject to weather and its supply can be unstable, such batteries would be greatly useful for the transition from fossil fuels.

Fuji Keizai Group expects that the global market of stationary batteries will grow 3.8 times to 5.4 trillion yen by 2035 from 2021. North America will lead the growth with an increase of 4.1 times to 1.7 trillion yen, followed by 1.1 trillion yen in China, and 746.6 billion yen in Europe.

Renewables currently account for 21% of the energy mix in the U.S., according to the International Energy Agency, lower than that of China and some European countries.

President Joe Biden’s administration has pledged to achieve net-zero emissions in the electricity sector by 2035 and wants to introduce offshore wind power and other renewables. In California, the local government requires some utility companies to install large batteries.

While lithium-ion batteries are widely used, companies are racing to develop new types of energy storage, including solid-state batteries for electric vehicles.

Sumitomo led the way in developing redox flow batteries by putting them into commercial use in 2001 for the first time in the world. The battery is too large to be used in EVs but it is safe and durable for large-capacity storage.

The installation costs of such batteries vary but are often around 1.5 times higher than those of lithium-ion batteries. The company believes that its redox flow batteries can be more competitive in the long run as their capacity can be increased by adding electrolyte.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Technology/Sumitomo-Electric-plans-long-life-battery-plant-in-North-America?

Very good to see.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 22:46:57
From: party_pants
ID: 1992128
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


How many different coal mines has Clive Palmer had blocked? Or is it the same one over and over and over again?

All I know about Clive Palmer is that he is the enemy of the people of WA.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 22:53:32
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992129
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Sumitomo Electric plans long-life battery plant in North America
Redox flow cells can last 30 years, or twice as long as lithium-ion ones

Sumitomo Electric’s test facility for redox flow batteries in California.
February 7, 2023 18:19 JST

OSAKA — Japan’s Sumitomo Electric Industries plans to build a new battery plant in North America as the U.S. accelerates its shift to sustainable energy, Nikkei has learned.

Sumitomo wants to produce large-capacity batteries called “redox flow cells,” which are used to store electricity generated by wind turbines and other forms of renewable energy. The batteries are less prone to degradation than conventional lithium-ion batteries. Their battery life of up to 30 years is expected to be twice as long as that of lithium-ion batteries.

The battery market in North America is expected to expand to 1.7 trillion yen ($12.9 billion) by 2035, according to Japanese research firm Fuji Keizai Group. Sumitomo hopes that by building a local production base, it would gain first-mover advantage.

Osamu Inoue, president of the company, told Nikkei in a recent interview that the U.S. will become the world’s largest battery market, with California state leading the way. He added that the company planned to expand its business by producing batteries in the U.S. and Japan.

The company is in the midst of planning such a move and it sees Texas and the city of Aguascalientes in Mexico as options for its base.

Sumitomo hopes to open the plant by 2024. The company plans to procure key materials from local companies and assemble them before it delivers the batteries to utility companies. The company wants to make the batteries in Osaka as well and expects to increase production capacity by three times, with the aim of generating 10 billion yen in sales from the business by 2025.

The redox flow battery works by circulating vanadium, in liquid form, in the tank. The battery uses vanadium electrolyte to store energy and enable batteries to have a longer and safer life. Given that renewable energy is subject to weather and its supply can be unstable, such batteries would be greatly useful for the transition from fossil fuels.

Fuji Keizai Group expects that the global market of stationary batteries will grow 3.8 times to 5.4 trillion yen by 2035 from 2021. North America will lead the growth with an increase of 4.1 times to 1.7 trillion yen, followed by 1.1 trillion yen in China, and 746.6 billion yen in Europe.

Renewables currently account for 21% of the energy mix in the U.S., according to the International Energy Agency, lower than that of China and some European countries.

President Joe Biden’s administration has pledged to achieve net-zero emissions in the electricity sector by 2035 and wants to introduce offshore wind power and other renewables. In California, the local government requires some utility companies to install large batteries.

While lithium-ion batteries are widely used, companies are racing to develop new types of energy storage, including solid-state batteries for electric vehicles.

Sumitomo led the way in developing redox flow batteries by putting them into commercial use in 2001 for the first time in the world. The battery is too large to be used in EVs but it is safe and durable for large-capacity storage.

The installation costs of such batteries vary but are often around 1.5 times higher than those of lithium-ion batteries. The company believes that its redox flow batteries can be more competitive in the long run as their capacity can be increased by adding electrolyte.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Technology/Sumitomo-Electric-plans-long-life-battery-plant-in-North-America?

I read something about those batteries a while ago, can’t remember much.
Is vanadium plentiful?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 22:56:14
From: party_pants
ID: 1992130
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Sumitomo Electric plans long-life battery plant in North America
Redox flow cells can last 30 years, or twice as long as lithium-ion ones

Sumitomo Electric’s test facility for redox flow batteries in California.
February 7, 2023 18:19 JST

OSAKA — Japan’s Sumitomo Electric Industries plans to build a new battery plant in North America as the U.S. accelerates its shift to sustainable energy, Nikkei has learned.

Sumitomo wants to produce large-capacity batteries called “redox flow cells,” which are used to store electricity generated by wind turbines and other forms of renewable energy. The batteries are less prone to degradation than conventional lithium-ion batteries. Their battery life of up to 30 years is expected to be twice as long as that of lithium-ion batteries.

The battery market in North America is expected to expand to 1.7 trillion yen ($12.9 billion) by 2035, according to Japanese research firm Fuji Keizai Group. Sumitomo hopes that by building a local production base, it would gain first-mover advantage.

Osamu Inoue, president of the company, told Nikkei in a recent interview that the U.S. will become the world’s largest battery market, with California state leading the way. He added that the company planned to expand its business by producing batteries in the U.S. and Japan.

The company is in the midst of planning such a move and it sees Texas and the city of Aguascalientes in Mexico as options for its base.

Sumitomo hopes to open the plant by 2024. The company plans to procure key materials from local companies and assemble them before it delivers the batteries to utility companies. The company wants to make the batteries in Osaka as well and expects to increase production capacity by three times, with the aim of generating 10 billion yen in sales from the business by 2025.

The redox flow battery works by circulating vanadium, in liquid form, in the tank. The battery uses vanadium electrolyte to store energy and enable batteries to have a longer and safer life. Given that renewable energy is subject to weather and its supply can be unstable, such batteries would be greatly useful for the transition from fossil fuels.

Fuji Keizai Group expects that the global market of stationary batteries will grow 3.8 times to 5.4 trillion yen by 2035 from 2021. North America will lead the growth with an increase of 4.1 times to 1.7 trillion yen, followed by 1.1 trillion yen in China, and 746.6 billion yen in Europe.

Renewables currently account for 21% of the energy mix in the U.S., according to the International Energy Agency, lower than that of China and some European countries.

President Joe Biden’s administration has pledged to achieve net-zero emissions in the electricity sector by 2035 and wants to introduce offshore wind power and other renewables. In California, the local government requires some utility companies to install large batteries.

While lithium-ion batteries are widely used, companies are racing to develop new types of energy storage, including solid-state batteries for electric vehicles.

Sumitomo led the way in developing redox flow batteries by putting them into commercial use in 2001 for the first time in the world. The battery is too large to be used in EVs but it is safe and durable for large-capacity storage.

The installation costs of such batteries vary but are often around 1.5 times higher than those of lithium-ion batteries. The company believes that its redox flow batteries can be more competitive in the long run as their capacity can be increased by adding electrolyte.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Technology/Sumitomo-Electric-plans-long-life-battery-plant-in-North-America?

I read something about those batteries a while ago, can’t remember much.
Is vanadium plentiful?

Only in Western Australia…

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:07:56
From: transition
ID: 1992131
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sees moon

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:09:23
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992132
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


sees moon

That’s a lovely one.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:09:57
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992133
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


sees moon

nice.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:11:48
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992134
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


transition said:

sees moon

nice.

Pink posted this one yesterday on Facebook.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:14:45
From: transition
ID: 1992135
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

transition said:

sees moon

nice.

Pink posted this one yesterday on Facebook.


that nice one, likes moonrise and moonsets

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:16:50
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992136
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A bit of a hoarder’: woodpeckers stash 700lbs of nuts in California home

Birds stored haul of acorns over the years in Santa Rosa house’s chimney, where they spilled into a wall cavity

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/feb/07/woodpeckers-700lbs-acorns-santa-rosa-california

Pink pigeon allegedly dyed for gender reveal party has died, US officials say

Charity says death of bird named Flamingo in Manhattan likely ‘caused by inhaling the toxins’ from pink dye

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/07/new-york-pink-pigeon-flamingo-gender-reveal-party

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:19:20
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992137
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

He’s declared it finished.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:19:28
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992138
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


A bit of a hoarder’: woodpeckers stash 700lbs of nuts in California home

Birds stored haul of acorns over the years in Santa Rosa house’s chimney, where they spilled into a wall cavity

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/feb/07/woodpeckers-700lbs-acorns-santa-rosa-california

Pink pigeon allegedly dyed for gender reveal party has died, US officials say

Charity says death of bird named Flamingo in Manhattan likely ‘caused by inhaling the toxins’ from pink dye

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/07/new-york-pink-pigeon-flamingo-gender-reveal-party

700lbs is over 317kg.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:20:03
From: ms spock
ID: 1992139
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


sees moon

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:20:16
From: transition
ID: 1992140
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


A bit of a hoarder’: woodpeckers stash 700lbs of nuts in California home

Birds stored haul of acorns over the years in Santa Rosa house’s chimney, where they spilled into a wall cavity

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/feb/07/woodpeckers-700lbs-acorns-santa-rosa-california

Pink pigeon allegedly dyed for gender reveal party has died, US officials say

Charity says death of bird named Flamingo in Manhattan likely ‘caused by inhaling the toxins’ from pink dye

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/07/new-york-pink-pigeon-flamingo-gender-reveal-party

woodpecker got lots acorn, been busy

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:20:29
From: ms spock
ID: 1992141
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

transition said:

sees moon

nice.

Pink posted this one yesterday on Facebook.


Wow! Iontach!

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:24:52
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992143
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


He’s declared it finished.

sarahs mum said:


He’s declared it finished.

Well done. Seems the flamingos-on-turtle-dragon-with-snake is a traditional Chinese motif, below symbolising love or suchlike.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:28:27
From: ms spock
ID: 1992145
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


He’s declared it finished.

Iontach!

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:29:47
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992146
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

He’s declared it finished.

sarahs mum said:


He’s declared it finished.

Well done. Seems the flamingos-on-turtle-dragon-with-snake is a traditional Chinese motif, below symbolising love or suchlike.


…actually Japanese and cranes not flamingos.

Here’s one that looks more like his example:

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:31:13
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992147
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

He’s declared it finished.

sarahs mum said:


He’s declared it finished.

Well done. Seems the flamingos-on-turtle-dragon-with-snake is a traditional Chinese motif, below symbolising love or suchlike.


…actually Japanese and cranes not flamingos.

Here’s one that looks more like his example:

Well found.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:34:30
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992148
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Well done. Seems the flamingos-on-turtle-dragon-with-snake is a traditional Chinese motif, below symbolising love or suchlike.


…actually Japanese and cranes not flamingos.

Here’s one that looks more like his example:

Well found.

From here:

Japanese Gilt Bronze Candlestick Figure of a Crane on a Turtle, 19th Century

From another site:

This figure represent ‘longevity’ & ‘conjugal happiness’. The crane (tsuru) is said to live 1000 years, while the turtle (kame) is considered to have a lifespan of 10,000 years. The crane chooses its partner for life, while the turtle is capable of great friendship. The combination is auspicious indeed!

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:39:27
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992149
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


sees moon

Picturesque moon shot.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:49:48
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992150
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

…actually Japanese and cranes not flamingos.

Here’s one that looks more like his example:

Well found.

From here:

Japanese Gilt Bronze Candlestick Figure of a Crane on a Turtle, 19th Century

From another site:

This figure represent ‘longevity’ & ‘conjugal happiness’. The crane (tsuru) is said to live 1000 years, while the turtle (kame) is considered to have a lifespan of 10,000 years. The crane chooses its partner for life, while the turtle is capable of great friendship. The combination is auspicious indeed!

It seems ornate for something japanese.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/02/2023 23:59:21
From: party_pants
ID: 1992151
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

On your marks,

get set,

GO -flood the forum with Wordle and Quordle and spoilers!

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 00:00:02
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1992152
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

We shall!!

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 00:12:35
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992155
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


On your marks,

get set,

GO -flood the forum with Wordle and Quordle and spoilers!

had to answer some facebook msgs.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 00:17:12
From: ms spock
ID: 1992157
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1622649126952239122

So much devastation from the earthquake…

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 00:31:50
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992163
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

book review

https://fb.watch/iznsQRZkqj/

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 00:36:23
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992164
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


book review

https://fb.watch/iznsQRZkqj/

That was a very involved process.

At least he didn’t have to read it :)

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 00:39:23
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992165
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Wouldn’t mind a buttered hot cross bun at this very moment, but:

a) I’m on a diet.

b) I don’t have any butter or hot cross buns.

So I’ll settle for a cup of tea.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 05:19:42
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1992174
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Turkey and Syria earthquake: death toll nears 12,000 –

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 06:57:54
From: buffy
ID: 1992176
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Ten degrees and Quite Foggy here. Visibility less than 50m. We are forecast a sunny 29, so apparently the fog will burn off.

Mr buffy wants us to do some wood splitting. So we will have to get onto that before it warms up too much for me to be outside.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 07:08:41
From: Michael V
ID: 1992177
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


How many different coal mines has Clive Palmer had blocked? Or is it the same one over and over and over again?

One.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 08:03:04
From: transition
ID: 1992179
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sunrise from transitionville, while kettle boils, flame on low of course, have wandered off before to come back and find it boiled dry and glowing orange hot, destroyed that kettle

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 08:05:28
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992180
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


sunrise from transitionville, while kettle boils, flame on low of course, have wandered off before to come back and find it boiled dry and glowing orange hot, destroyed that kettle

So much to do while the kettle boils away. ‘SoK kause kettles are cheap.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 08:08:12
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992181
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning punters and correctors.
Looks like being a corker day at the redoubt, today I’ll start digging out the inlet pipe from the tank to the house pump with the aim of installing another takeoff for fire fighting.
I’ve got a submersible pump for that at the moment but it’s a lot of stuffing around so I’m going to put in a tee piece and valve so I can quickly hook up one of my pumps.
I’ve got a hose connection at the other end of the house but it’s a fairway away and I can also use this connection for water to the big shed…….umm when I finish it.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 08:13:52
From: ms spock
ID: 1992182
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Blunt message after alleged $3.3m NDIS fraud

It’s alleged the men, who know each other, set up or acquired businesses as disability providers before going on to submit false claims for NDIS services that were never provided.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/blunt-message-after-alleged-3-3m-ndis-fraud/ar-AA17dPsD?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7a38364ea4e94a29ab499d08e5f86864

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 08:15:00
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992183
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Morning punters and correctors.
Looks like being a corker day at the redoubt, today I’ll start digging out the inlet pipe from the tank to the house pump with the aim of installing another takeoff for fire fighting.
I’ve got a submersible pump for that at the moment but it’s a lot of stuffing around so I’m going to put in a tee piece and valve so I can quickly hook up one of my pumps.
I’ve got a hose connection at the other end of the house but it’s a fairway away and I can also use this connection for water to the big shed…….umm when I finish it.

Do a good job, won’t you, :)

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 08:16:18
From: ms spock
ID: 1992184
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

monkey skipper said:


Turkey and Syria earthquake: death toll nears 12,000 –

:(

Tá brón orm. (literally the sadness is on me but meaning I am sad!)

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 08:17:08
From: ms spock
ID: 1992185
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Woodie said:

How many different coal mines has Clive Palmer had blocked? Or is it the same one over and over and over again?

One.

And he has spent millions and millions of dollars in advertising and running as a dodgy candidate to get it through.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 08:23:36
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992187
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Michael V said:

Woodie said:

How many different coal mines has Clive Palmer had blocked? Or is it the same one over and over and over again?

One.

And he has spent millions and millions of dollars in advertising and running as a dodgy candidate to get it through.

Keeps the economy ticking over?

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 08:28:01
From: ms spock
ID: 1992189
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


sunrise from transitionville, while kettle boils, flame on low of course, have wandered off before to come back and find it boiled dry and glowing orange hot, destroyed that kettle

I am sorry to read about your kettle transition but such an stunning view would tend to distract and
mesmerize you!

Cén radharc iontach chun tús a chur le do lá saor!
What a wonderful view to start your day off!

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 08:30:17
From: ms spock
ID: 1992191
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

Michael V said:

One.

And he has spent millions and millions of dollars in advertising and running as a dodgy candidate to get it through.

Keeps the economy ticking over?

What we are all here to serve, the economy indeed! It must keep going!

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 08:34:09
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992193
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

An audit of Commonwealth offices uncovers more than 900 units of surveillance equipment that have been built by companies linked to the Chinese government and are banned in the US and UK.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 09:10:50
From: Woodie
ID: 1992194
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Good morning Holidayers. Ten degrees and Quite Foggy here. Visibility less than 50m. We are forecast a sunny 29, so apparently the fog will burn off.

Mr buffy wants us to do some wood splitting. So we will have to get onto that before it warms up too much for me to be outside.

How much wood would a wood split split if a wood split could split wood?

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 09:14:40
From: Woodie
ID: 1992195
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


sunrise from transitionville, while kettle boils, flame on low of course, have wandered off before to come back and find it boiled dry and glowing orange hot, destroyed that kettle

A watched kettle never boils ya know.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 09:16:14
From: Woodie
ID: 1992196
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Morning punters and correctors.
Looks like being a corker day at the redoubt, today I’ll start digging out the inlet pipe from the tank to the house pump with the aim of installing another takeoff for fire fighting.
I’ve got a submersible pump for that at the moment but it’s a lot of stuffing around so I’m going to put in a tee piece and valve so I can quickly hook up one of my pumps.
I’ve got a hose connection at the other end of the house but it’s a fairway away and I can also use this connection for water to the big shed…….umm when I finish it.

How much water would a water pipe pipe if a water pipe could pipe water?

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 09:36:53
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1992197
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Biggest Penguin That Ever Existed Was a ‘Monster Bird’
Fossils found in New Zealand highlight an era after the dinosaurs when giant flightless birds prowled the seas for prey.

By Jack Tamisiea
Feb. 8, 2023, 12:00 p.m. ET

New Zealand has been a haven for earthbound birds for eons. The absence of terrestrial predators allowed flightless parrots, kiwis and moas to thrive. Now researchers are adding two prehistoric penguins to this grounded aviary. One species is a beefy behemoth that waddled along the New Zealand coastline nearly 60 million years ago. At almost 350 pounds, it weighed as much as an adult gorilla and is the heaviest penguin known to science.

Alan Tennyson, a paleontologist at Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, discovered the supersize seabird’s bones in 2017. They were deposited on a beach known for large, cannonball-shaped concretions called the Moeraki Boulders. The churn of the tide cracked open several of these 57-million-year-old boulders, revealing bits of fossilized bones inside.

Dr. Tennyson and his colleagues identified the fossilized remains of two large penguins. The humerus of one, at more than nine and a half inches long, was nearly twice the size of those found in emperor penguins, the largest living penguin. Other boulders yielded bones from a smaller, more complete penguin species that also appeared to be larger than a modern emperor penguin.

The researchers described the ancient birds Wednesday in the Journal of Paleontology. They named the larger penguin Kumimanu (a mash-up of the Maori words for “monster” and “bird”) fordycei and named the smaller penguin Petradyptes (“rock diver”) stonehousei.

By creating 3-D models of Kumimanu’s humongous humerus and comparing its size and shape with the flipper bones of prehistoric and modern penguins, the researchers estimate that the “monster bird” weighed a whopping 340 pounds — 15 pounds heavier than Lane Johnson, the right tackle anchoring the Philadelphia Eagles offensive line in the Super Bowl.

According to Daniel Ksepka, a paleontologist at the Bruce Museum in Greenwich, Conn., and an author of the new study, the Kumimanu’s fragmented skeleton makes it difficult to pinpoint its height. Dr. Ksepka estimates that it stood around 5 feet 2 inches, giving it a stocky build. Petradyptes was not a lightweight, either. It weighed 110 pounds, making it heftier than modern emperor penguins, which top out at 88 pounds.

Both Kumimanu and Petradyptes plied the waters off New Zealand during a sweet spot in oceanic history, according to Dr. Ksepka. The asteroid impact that ended the dinosaur era had wiped out most marine reptiles while the ancestors of seals and whales were still on land. This meant there were few things that would mess with a black-bear-size penguin.

“If you’re a little one-pound penguin, a gull can just rip your head off,” Dr. Ksepka said. “But a 300-pound penguin is not going to worry about a sea gull landing near it because it would just crush it.”

Despite their prodigious size, Kumimanu and Petradyptes possessed primitive flippers reminiscent of modern seabirds like auks and puffins that fly and dive. Julia Clarke, a paleontologist at the University of Texas at Austin who studies the evolution of diving in birds and was not involved in the new study, said it would make sense for early penguins like Kumimanu and Petradyptes to retain several features left over from their ancestors’ airborne lifestyle.

A black-and-white skeletal diagram of three penguins in profile, with the largest at left, an emperor penguin at right and the second fossil skeleton in the middle.

A skeletal sketch comparing, from left, Kumimanu, Petradyptes, the two new fossil penguins, and an emperor penguin.Credit…Simone Giovanardi

The new species add evidence that prehistoric penguins became huge before they fine-tuned their flippers into paddle-like appendages. Heavier seabirds are able to dive deeper and longer than their lighter counterparts, Dr. Ksepka said. The extra paunch would also have helped these penguins stay warm in the water.

While Kumimanu was mighty, it didn’t crowd out its smaller penguin cousins. “You have super large penguins eating the largest prey items and you also have mid-sized and smaller-bodied penguins, and they can all specialize within a crowded penguin environment,” Dr. Clarke said.

Despite plenty of seafood and little competition, these penguins could probably grow only so big.

“I believe that Kumimanu is close to the upper limit of a flightless seabird and I do not expect substantially larger penguins to be found,” said Gerald Mayr, a paleontologist at the Senckenberg Research Institute in Frankfurt who described the closely related 220-pound Kumimanu biceae. Dr. Mayr, who was not involved in the new study, notes that heavier birds would most likely crush their eggs into yolky smithereens.

As some of the earliest fossil penguins, Kumimanu and Petradyptes reveal just how quickly penguins packed on pounds after they stopped taking to the skies.

“Once you know you’re not flying anymore,” Dr. Ksepka said, “the sky’s the limit.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/08/science/giant-penguin-fossil.html?

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 09:46:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992198
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Live updates ABC Trailblazer winners head to Parliament House to pitch their big ideas to change regional Australia.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 09:50:52
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1992199
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


buffy said:

Good morning Holidayers. Ten degrees and Quite Foggy here. Visibility less than 50m. We are forecast a sunny 29, so apparently the fog will burn off.

Mr buffy wants us to do some wood splitting. So we will have to get onto that before it warms up too much for me to be outside.

How much wood would a wood split split if a wood split could split wood?

Don’t know Chuck.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 09:53:43
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1992200
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bird Flu Outbreak Is a Wake-Up Call for Agriculture
The H5N1 virus has been rampaging through poultry farms and a Spanish mink facility.

By Faye Flam
9 February 2023 at 01:00 GMT+11

Perhaps we can blame Covid fatigue for numbing us to the risks of other viruses. But it should be bigger news that a bird flu has mutated to spread through mammals and is ominously appearing among wild and domesticated animals around the globe. In the past, the inability to spread from one mammal to another was the barrier that prevented bird flu, H5N1 — which has a 50% fatality rate in humans — from becoming a human pandemic. It’s not clear this version, which spread through minks, would be easily transmitted in people, but it has made a step in a dangerous direction.

It’s unthinkable to consider lockdowns or mask mandates over some new disease, which is why it’s better to take simpler, less costly action early. What matters now is surveillance among farmed animals and giving up particularly dangerous practices. Maybe we just can’t have mink coats and cheap eggs.

One reason there so many dangerous animal viruses around now is that the crowded conditions of mass-farmed animals tend to spread viruses — and there has never been more worldwide demand for meat, dairy products and eggs. As one investigation revealed, egg-laying chickens in big operations are genetically identical, have no immunity to influenza and make easy kindling for viral bonfires.

While it might cost money to move to safer chicken farming practices, doing nothing is expensive, too. Last year, egg prices rose as 58 million US birds were destroyed in H5N1 outbreaks.

The outbreak that has spurred the latest fears happened at a mink farm in Spain. “The fact that it spread through the facility is quite concerning,” said Jeff Bender, a professor of veterinary medicine at the University of Minnesota.

In this case, the surveillance system worked — the outbreak was identified, people were tested and found to be negative, and more than 50,000 minks were euthanized. But it’s not clear all farms around the world are under good surveillance, and since getting a positive test means being forced to kill valuable animals, farmers may have an incentive to avoid it.

“We’re getting better but there’s a value for integrating surveillance systems,” Bender said. We’ve been talking about improving it, but there’s a long way to go.”

Mink farms may pose a pandemic risk that’s not worth having. They aren’t a source of food — and there are safer sources of fur. They are typically raised in close quarters, and unlike most farm animals, they are carnivores and can pick up viruses from the animals they are fed. Farmed minks sometimes get fed discarded chicken carcasses, Bender said, which can harbor H5N1. And there are plenty of opportunities for people working on mink farms to get infected. In a worst-case scenario, a worker would pick up a variation of this virus capable of moving from human to human. “That’s exactly the pandemic scenario we worry about,” said Bender.

It isn’t yet clear whether multiple animals picked up the virus separately from a contaminated batch of food, but researchers have found that the virus emanated from a couple of hotspots, indicating that one or two infected animals likely spread the disease to their neighbors. Genetic tests showed that this virus carried a mutation that allows it to spread in mammals as well as one that has been identified in gulls. That suggests gulls are still carrying this concerning variant.

H5N1 has a natural host in wild waterfowl, and some of them carry the virus around the globe with their migrations. It was first discovered to be capable of jumping to humans in southern China and Hong Kong in the 1990s, and has been bubbling up around the world ever since. What’s worrisome now is that it’s getting into so may new hosts — eagles, owls, as well as foxes, grizzly bears and seals.

In birds, H5N1 is a gastrointestinal virus, spread by droppings, but it can become a respiratory virus in mammals, said Purdue University virologist David Sanders. The gastrointestinal tracts and respiratory tracts are similar enough that the virus can adapt easily from one to the other.

Most bird influenza isn’t equipped to get into the cells of mammals, said Sanders, but this bird flu virus is what scientists call promiscuous. “If it’s transmitted to mink, it hasn’t had time to be a mink-specific thing — so there’s a good chance it can go to humans,” he said. So far, we haven’t seen a version that can spread from human to human — but only by pure luck.

Sanders said the deadly 1918 flu pandemic started with a bird flu that jumped to humans, and the 2009 swine flu was a descendant of this virus, having jumped from humans to pigs in the 1920s before jumping back to humans. Likewise, there is still a school of thought that the omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2 had acquired its large number of mutations by jumping from a human to another animal and then back to humans.

As a point of counterintuitive reassurance, Sanders said that if H5N1 did start spreading in humans and it remained 50% lethal, it might be more easily contained, like SARS1 was in 2005. The Covid-19 pandemic is being fueled by a combination of transmission before symptoms start and people who get such minimal symptoms that they have no idea they’re sick while they circulate and spread disease. And by staying in the upper respiratory tract, omicron is even more wildly contagious than its predecessors.

So there is no guarantee that an H5N1 pandemic would be “even deadlier” than SARS-CoV-2. Plus, we already have a vaccine for H5N1, although it would take months to scale up production.

Even so, why wait to find out how deadly a human H5N1 pandemic would be? Cost-saving measures and mass farming already gave us foot and mouth disease and mad cow disease. And from the point of view of a virus, we humans, with our urban lifestyles, are just the equivalent of captive animals in one vast, interconnected worldwide farm.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2023-02-08/high-egg-prices-h1n5-bird-flu-outbreak-could-cause-bigger-problems?

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 10:34:23
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1992201
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Drought may have doomed ancient Hittite empire, tree study reveals
Examination of trees alive at the time shows three years of severe drought that may have caused crop failures and famine

Reuters
Thu 9 Feb 2023 07.18 AEDT

Researchers have offered new insight into the abrupt collapse of the ancient Hittite civilization, with an examination of trees alive at the time showing three consecutive years of severe drought that may have caused crop failures, famine and political-societal disintegration.

Around 1200 BC, human civilization experienced a harrowing setback with the near-simultaneous demise or diminishment of several important empires in the Middle East and eastern Mediterranean region, an event called the Bronze Age collapse.

One of the mightiest to perish was the Hittite empire, centered in modern Turkey and spanning parts of Syria and Iraq.

Read more:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/08/ancient-hittite-empire-tree-study-drought

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 10:37:16
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992202
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Drought may have doomed ancient Hittite empire, tree study reveals
Examination of trees alive at the time shows three years of severe drought that may have caused crop failures and famine

Reuters
Thu 9 Feb 2023 07.18 AEDT

Researchers have offered new insight into the abrupt collapse of the ancient Hittite civilization, with an examination of trees alive at the time showing three consecutive years of severe drought that may have caused crop failures, famine and political-societal disintegration.

Around 1200 BC, human civilization experienced a harrowing setback with the near-simultaneous demise or diminishment of several important empires in the Middle East and eastern Mediterranean region, an event called the Bronze Age collapse.

One of the mightiest to perish was the Hittite empire, centered in modern Turkey and spanning parts of Syria and Iraq.

Read more:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/08/ancient-hittite-empire-tree-study-drought

We’ll all be rooned, said Hanrahan.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 10:39:08
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992203
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Live updates ABC Trailblazer winners head to Parliament House to pitch their big ideas to change regional Australia.

What’s your big idea to change Australia?
3m ago

By Bridget Judd

While we wait for the live stream to kick off in the next couple of minutes, I want to know — if you could pitch any idea, how would you change Australia?

You can leave a comment using the big blue button above 👆

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 10:46:56
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992204
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


roughbarked said:

Live updates ABC Trailblazer winners head to Parliament House to pitch their big ideas to change regional Australia.

What’s your big idea to change Australia?
3m ago

By Bridget Judd

While we wait for the live stream to kick off in the next couple of minutes, I want to know — if you could pitch any idea, how would you change Australia?

You can leave a comment using the big blue button above 👆

Link

Thirteen inspiring young Aussies are about to pitch their big ideas to change their communities.

You can watch live using the YouTube stream at the top of the page 👆

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 10:47:52
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1992205
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Drought may have doomed ancient Hittite empire, tree study reveals
Examination of trees alive at the time shows three years of severe drought that may have caused crop failures and famine

Reuters
Thu 9 Feb 2023 07.18 AEDT

Researchers have offered new insight into the abrupt collapse of the ancient Hittite civilization, with an examination of trees alive at the time showing three consecutive years of severe drought that may have caused crop failures, famine and political-societal disintegration.

Around 1200 BC, human civilization experienced a harrowing setback with the near-simultaneous demise or diminishment of several important empires in the Middle East and eastern Mediterranean region, an event called the Bronze Age collapse.

One of the mightiest to perish was the Hittite empire, centered in modern Turkey and spanning parts of Syria and Iraq.

Read more:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/08/ancient-hittite-empire-tree-study-drought

If they had only read their bibles they would have been ready for 3 years drought + another 4.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 10:53:35
From: sibeen
ID: 1992206
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Drought may have doomed ancient Hittite empire, tree study reveals
Examination of trees alive at the time shows three years of severe drought that may have caused crop failures and famine

Reuters
Thu 9 Feb 2023 07.18 AEDT

Researchers have offered new insight into the abrupt collapse of the ancient Hittite civilization, with an examination of trees alive at the time showing three consecutive years of severe drought that may have caused crop failures, famine and political-societal disintegration.

Around 1200 BC, human civilization experienced a harrowing setback with the near-simultaneous demise or diminishment of several important empires in the Middle East and eastern Mediterranean region, an event called the Bronze Age collapse.

One of the mightiest to perish was the Hittite empire, centered in modern Turkey and spanning parts of Syria and Iraq.

Read more:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/08/ancient-hittite-empire-tree-study-drought

If they had only read their bibles they would have been ready for 3 years drought + another 4.

They would have needed to be able to get their hands on one of the early pre-print editions.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:01:08
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992207
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Mr Tunks is here and making gardening noises.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:03:56
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992208
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Drought may have doomed ancient Hittite empire, tree study reveals
Examination of trees alive at the time shows three years of severe drought that may have caused crop failures and famine

Reuters
Thu 9 Feb 2023 07.18 AEDT

Researchers have offered new insight into the abrupt collapse of the ancient Hittite civilization, with an examination of trees alive at the time showing three consecutive years of severe drought that may have caused crop failures, famine and political-societal disintegration.

Around 1200 BC, human civilization experienced a harrowing setback with the near-simultaneous demise or diminishment of several important empires in the Middle East and eastern Mediterranean region, an event called the Bronze Age collapse.

One of the mightiest to perish was the Hittite empire, centered in modern Turkey and spanning parts of Syria and Iraq.

Read more:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/08/ancient-hittite-empire-tree-study-drought

If they had only read their bibles they would have been ready for 3 years drought + another 4.

This was pre biblical times so they wouldn’t have known what a plague or pestilence was let alone how to use thoughts and prayers to ameliorate them.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:04:27
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992209
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Mr Tunks is here and making gardening noises.

Praise the Lord.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:09:27
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1992210
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

Drought may have doomed ancient Hittite empire, tree study reveals
Examination of trees alive at the time shows three years of severe drought that may have caused crop failures and famine

Reuters
Thu 9 Feb 2023 07.18 AEDT

Researchers have offered new insight into the abrupt collapse of the ancient Hittite civilization, with an examination of trees alive at the time showing three consecutive years of severe drought that may have caused crop failures, famine and political-societal disintegration.

Around 1200 BC, human civilization experienced a harrowing setback with the near-simultaneous demise or diminishment of several important empires in the Middle East and eastern Mediterranean region, an event called the Bronze Age collapse.

One of the mightiest to perish was the Hittite empire, centered in modern Turkey and spanning parts of Syria and Iraq.

Read more:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/08/ancient-hittite-empire-tree-study-drought

If they had only read their bibles they would have been ready for 3 years drought + another 4.

They would have needed to be able to get their hands on one of the early pre-print editions.

I have now done my own research, and it seems you are correct.

The Internet tells me that the Book of Exodus was written some time between 500 BCE and 1999 CE.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:15:25
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992211
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I was just visited by freak (Mandi) She has just spent a few days on bruny with friends and is headed up the midlands now. I tried to be awake.

She says hello.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:15:45
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992212
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

Mr Tunks is here and making gardening noises.

Praise the Lord.

He’s gone again. Maybe to get some more fuel or something.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:16:32
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992213
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


I was just visited by freak (Mandi) She has just spent a few days on bruny with friends and is headed up the midlands now. I tried to be awake.

She says hello.

waves at the departing freak

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:20:11
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992215
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I haven’t had much sleep either. I went to bed for a while then found I had to get up to record a minor key version of La Volta on three citterns, then look up mushroom pickling recipes.

Now I have to stay awake until Mr Tunks has finished so I can pay him.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:22:44
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992216
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

After years of punting I’m beginning to think that trainers don’t treat a syndicated horse, a horse that Barry and Trevor have bought a share of off the internet the same way as a horse owned by a wealthy Arab Sheik.
I mean they still charge Barry and Trev a shed load to look after it and run it in a maiden plate at Moe every now and then but eventually tell them that it got struck by lightning or some such but they have another potential Melbourne Cup winner that they might be interested in but they have to be quick, shares are selling fast.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:35:13
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992217
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


I haven’t had much sleep either. I went to bed for a while then found I had to get up to record a minor key version of La Volta on three citterns, then look up mushroom pickling recipes.

Now I have to stay awake until Mr Tunks has finished so I can pay him.

Yeah, if you pay him before he’s finished he’s likely to go straight to the pub.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:38:23
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992219
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

I haven’t had much sleep either. I went to bed for a while then found I had to get up to record a minor key version of La Volta on three citterns, then look up mushroom pickling recipes.

Now I have to stay awake until Mr Tunks has finished so I can pay him.

Yeah, if you pay him before he’s finished he’s likely to go straight to the pub.

I shouldn’t think he’s a pub-going man.

Anyway he’s not in a celebratory mood. His partner died last week from a very long illness. He was her carer for years.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:43:21
From: Cymek
ID: 1992221
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Greetings

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:43:49
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992222
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


I was just visited by freak (Mandi) She has just spent a few days on bruny with friends and is headed up the midlands now. I tried to be awake.

She says hello.

Hello Mandi.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:46:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992224
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Bubblecar said:

I haven’t had much sleep either. I went to bed for a while then found I had to get up to record a minor key version of La Volta on three citterns, then look up mushroom pickling recipes.

Now I have to stay awake until Mr Tunks has finished so I can pay him.

Yeah, if you pay him before he’s finished he’s likely to go straight to the pub.

I shouldn’t think he’s a pub-going man.

Anyway he’s not in a celebratory mood. His partner died last week from a very long illness. He was her carer for years.

On the + side, he’s now got a lot more time on his hands.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:46:28
From: buffy
ID: 1992225
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


buffy said:

Good morning Holidayers. Ten degrees and Quite Foggy here. Visibility less than 50m. We are forecast a sunny 29, so apparently the fog will burn off.

Mr buffy wants us to do some wood splitting. So we will have to get onto that before it warms up too much for me to be outside.

How much wood would a wood split split if a wood split could split wood?

Quite a lot, as it turns out. This is the little old 6×4 trailer that normally lives in the bush block shed. Mr buffy bought it for trailing behind the Jimny collecting wood. We used it a couple of weeks ago to bring home the Razorback mower/slasher for servicing.

The Bobcat is still here too, it has also been serviced. Mr buffy pulled the trailer full of wood up to the woodshed with the Bobcat. I might be stronger than I look, but that was beyond my capabilities….We don’t need either of them at the block at present and I’ve suggested we keep them here over the fire season. Or at least the slasher.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:46:43
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992226
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Greetings

How’s today’s court proceedings been treating you?

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:49:01
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992227
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Woodie said:

buffy said:

Good morning Holidayers. Ten degrees and Quite Foggy here. Visibility less than 50m. We are forecast a sunny 29, so apparently the fog will burn off.

Mr buffy wants us to do some wood splitting. So we will have to get onto that before it warms up too much for me to be outside.

How much wood would a wood split split if a wood split could split wood?

Quite a lot, as it turns out. This is the little old 6×4 trailer that normally lives in the bush block shed. Mr buffy bought it for trailing behind the Jimny collecting wood. We used it a couple of weeks ago to bring home the Razorback mower/slasher for servicing.

The Bobcat is still here too, it has also been serviced. Mr buffy pulled the trailer full of wood up to the woodshed with the Bobcat. I might be stronger than I look, but that was beyond my capabilities….We don’t need either of them at the block at present and I’ve suggested we keep them here over the fire season. Or at least the slasher.


I’m still doing all that stuff by hand mostly. I haven’t even used a chainsaw for a more than couple of years.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:52:58
From: Cymek
ID: 1992229
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Cymek said:

Greetings

How’s today’s court proceedings been treating you?

quiet so far

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:56:40
From: ms spock
ID: 1992230
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dia duit! (Hello Earthlings)

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 11:58:40
From: Michael V
ID: 1992231
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


I was just visited by freak (Mandi) She has just spent a few days on bruny with friends and is headed up the midlands now. I tried to be awake.

She says hello.

That’s nice.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 12:12:41
From: ms spock
ID: 1992236
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Playing Dress-Up: Benefits, How to Start, and Tips
https://www.healthline.com/health/childrens-health/playing-dress-up

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 12:14:09
From: Michael V
ID: 1992238
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


I haven’t had much sleep either. I went to bed for a while then found I had to get up to record a minor key version of La Volta on three citterns, then look up mushroom pickling recipes.

Now I have to stay awake until Mr Tunks has finished so I can pay him.

I’ve never had pickled mushrooms. Are they good?

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 12:46:47
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992260
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

I haven’t had much sleep either. I went to bed for a while then found I had to get up to record a minor key version of La Volta on three citterns, then look up mushroom pickling recipes.

Now I have to stay awake until Mr Tunks has finished so I can pay him.

I’ve never had pickled mushrooms. Are they good?

They are. The mushrooms sold in antipasto as “marinated mushrooms” are usually pickled (i.e. stored for a while in vinegar and brine before being mixed with other stuff, but you can add the olive oil and herbs to the jars).

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 12:51:27
From: Cymek
ID: 1992262
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

People

This couple started a fight in a Salvos store, the women pushed a display over that fell into a POS terminal breaking it, the man threw a lamp onto the ground, the store was evacuated and when they left the man threw a brick through the window.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 12:54:43
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992263
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Mr Tunks has gone again, to lunch this time I’d imagine.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 12:56:01
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992264
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


People

This couple started a fight in a Salvos store, the women pushed a display over that fell into a POS terminal breaking it, the man threw a lamp onto the ground, the store was evacuated and when they left the man threw a brick through the window.

There’s a word for people like that.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:04:59
From: ms spock
ID: 1992268
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


People

This couple started a fight in a Salvos store, the women pushed a display over that fell into a POS terminal breaking it, the man threw a lamp onto the ground, the store was evacuated and when they left the man threw a brick through the window.

Are you okay Cymek?

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:08:31
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992270
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


People

This couple started a fight in a Salvos store, the women pushed a display over that fell into a POS terminal breaking it, the man threw a lamp onto the ground, the store was evacuated and when they left the man threw a brick through the window.

Adults unable to control their emotions.

Its about time to make a law about this.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:09:40
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1992272
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Cymek said:

People

This couple started a fight in a Salvos store, the women pushed a display over that fell into a POS terminal breaking it, the man threw a lamp onto the ground, the store was evacuated and when they left the man threw a brick through the window.

Adults unable to control their emotions.

Its about time to make a law about this.

These laws already exist.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:09:43
From: ms spock
ID: 1992273
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Cymek said:

People

This couple started a fight in a Salvos store, the women pushed a display over that fell into a POS terminal breaking it, the man threw a lamp onto the ground, the store was evacuated and when they left the man threw a brick through the window.

Adults unable to control their emotions.

Its about time to make a law about this.

Yeah

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:12:56
From: sibeen
ID: 1992275
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Cymek said:

People

This couple started a fight in a Salvos store, the women pushed a display over that fell into a POS terminal breaking it, the man threw a lamp onto the ground, the store was evacuated and when they left the man threw a brick through the window.

Adults unable to control their emotions.

Its about time to make a law about this.

These laws already exist.

Well, a new law, one that is better than the last one. It’s new laws for everyone!

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:13:19
From: ms spock
ID: 1992276
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Whilst we are waiting to find out if Cymek is okay. I will whinge about the below

The Director of Training at our institute is a shocker. There is nothing she can’t make worse, even when you think she couldn’t do anything more. I am writing a scathing resignation letter to her now. She puts other professional in danger because of how incompetent, grossly negligent and without a finger on any pulse, if she actually has a pulse. Like a dummy sitting at her desk would improve safety outcomes by a huge margin just because it wouldn’t put people’s lives in danger.

I have written a very long detailed letter. Because I want to record what is going on. I am never going back. And mostly I am writing all my anger out. Then I will draft it.

But right now I wish I could send the pestilence of a 1000 fiery suns on her gonads, the gonads of her ancestors and the gonads of her descendants. I can’t even come up with any decent insults. It’s an insult to all insults to try to insult this woman.

She was really unwise, when she sent her gaslighting lying letter for which I can take some screen shots and prove are untrue, she Cced in the big boss. So I will hit reply all with my rebuttal.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:14:14
From: ms spock
ID: 1992278
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Cymek said:

People

This couple started a fight in a Salvos store, the women pushed a display over that fell into a POS terminal breaking it, the man threw a lamp onto the ground, the store was evacuated and when they left the man threw a brick through the window.

Adults unable to control their emotions.

Its about time to make a law about this.

These laws already exist.

I thought Tau.Neutrino was being ironic.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:14:50
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992279
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Adults unable to control their emotions.

Its about time to make a law about this.

These laws already exist.

Well, a new law, one that is better than the last one. It’s new laws for everyone!

Seems those old laws don’t work so new ones be required.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:15:56
From: Michael V
ID: 1992281
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


People

This couple started a fight in a Salvos store, the women pushed a display over that fell into a POS terminal breaking it, the man threw a lamp onto the ground, the store was evacuated and when they left the man threw a brick through the window.

Bugger.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:18:07
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992283
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Adults unable to control their emotions.

Its about time to make a law about this.

These laws already exist.

I thought Tau.Neutrino was being ironic.

Yes, adults throwing tantrums.

They need to go to an anti- tantrum school.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:19:26
From: Cymek
ID: 1992284
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Cymek said:

People

This couple started a fight in a Salvos store, the women pushed a display over that fell into a POS terminal breaking it, the man threw a lamp onto the ground, the store was evacuated and when they left the man threw a brick through the window.

Are you okay Cymek?

Not me it was client I was processing.
They were put on an order for it.
Just the things people do with no regards for others.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:21:11
From: Cymek
ID: 1992287
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


ms spock said:

Cymek said:

People

This couple started a fight in a Salvos store, the women pushed a display over that fell into a POS terminal breaking it, the man threw a lamp onto the ground, the store was evacuated and when they left the man threw a brick through the window.

Are you okay Cymek?

Not me it was client I was processing.
They were put on an order for it.
Just the things people do with no regards for others.

Sorry I should have clarified that.
I’m at work I read through the police facts and some of the offences people get charged with are shocking.
Like the one I mentioned, people everywhere in the shop and they are wrecking it.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:23:12
From: ms spock
ID: 1992288
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


ms spock said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

These laws already exist.

I thought Tau.Neutrino was being ironic.

Yes, adults throwing tantrums.

They need to go to an anti- tantrum school.

I think we need to build as many as we can as soon as possible!

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:23:41
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992289
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Cymek said:

ms spock said:

Are you okay Cymek?

Not me it was client I was processing.
They were put on an order for it.
Just the things people do with no regards for others.

Sorry I should have clarified that.
I’m at work I read through the police facts and some of the offences people get charged with are shocking.
Like the one I mentioned, people everywhere in the shop and they are wrecking it.

They will end up paying for it I presume.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:23:48
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1992290
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:

Cymek said:

ms spock said:

Are you okay Cymek?

Not me it was client I was processing.
They were put on an order for it.
Just the things people do with no regards for others.

Sorry I should have clarified that.
I’m at work I read through the police facts and some of the offences people get charged with are shocking.
Like the one I mentioned, people everywhere in the shop and they are wrecking it.

how much confidentiality is required

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:24:05
From: ms spock
ID: 1992291
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


ms spock said:

Cymek said:

People

This couple started a fight in a Salvos store, the women pushed a display over that fell into a POS terminal breaking it, the man threw a lamp onto the ground, the store was evacuated and when they left the man threw a brick through the window.

Are you okay Cymek?

Not me it was client I was processing.
They were put on an order for it.
Just the things people do with no regards for others.

Oh so that person was a bit upset about it and you heard all about it.

The things that people do with no regards for others can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:25:02
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992293
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

ms spock said:

I thought Tau.Neutrino was being ironic.

Yes, adults throwing tantrums.

They need to go to an anti- tantrum school.

I think we need to build as many as we can as soon as possible!

We spend millions on eduction people go through the eduction system and as adults are unable to control their emotions, I find that strange.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:27:26
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1992295
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:

ms spock said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Yes, adults throwing tantrums.

They need to go to an anti- tantrum school.

I think we need to build as many as we can as soon as possible!

We spend millions on eduction people go through the eduction system and as adults are unable to control their emotions, I find that strange.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:27:52
From: Cymek
ID: 1992296
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

Cymek said:

Cymek said:

Not me it was client I was processing.
They were put on an order for it.
Just the things people do with no regards for others.

Sorry I should have clarified that.
I’m at work I read through the police facts and some of the offences people get charged with are shocking.
Like the one I mentioned, people everywhere in the shop and they are wrecking it.

how much confidentiality is required

From me ?

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:28:12
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992297
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Cymek said:

ms spock said:

Are you okay Cymek?

Not me it was client I was processing.
They were put on an order for it.
Just the things people do with no regards for others.

Oh so that person was a bit upset about it and you heard all about it.

The things that people do with no regards for others can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Yes, and probably all over a very trivial matter.

People getting emotional over trivial matters.

Strange that.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:29:25
From: ms spock
ID: 1992298
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Cymek said:

ms spock said:

Are you okay Cymek?

Not me it was client I was processing.
They were put on an order for it.
Just the things people do with no regards for others.

Sorry I should have clarified that.
I’m at work I read through the police facts and some of the offences people get charged with are shocking.
Like the one I mentioned, people everywhere in the shop and they are wrecking it.

I imagine that they are really shocking! I misunderstood. I presumed you were at the scene of the crime. So I was concerned for your safety.

Vicarious trauma is a thing too Cymek – that’s a lot of things that people do who have no regards for others that you are processing. I hope you get some support/outlett for that.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:32:34
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1992301
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:

SCIENCE said:

Cymek said:

Sorry I should have clarified that.
I’m at work I read through the police facts and some of the offences people get charged with are shocking.
Like the one I mentioned, people everywhere in the shop and they are wrecking it.

how much confidentiality is required

From me ?

well yes we mean people absolutely do find the cases interesting but are these on the public record already or should we be more cautious about spilling the beans

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:38:00
From: Woodie
ID: 1992304
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

The things that people do with no regards for others can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Yes. Like leaving the door open, or taking 13 items through the 12 items or less supermarket checkout.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:39:27
From: ms spock
ID: 1992306
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


ms spock said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Yes, adults throwing tantrums.

They need to go to an anti- tantrum school.

I think we need to build as many as we can as soon as possible!

We spend millions on eduction people go through the eduction system and as adults are unable to control their emotions, I find that strange.

It is strange, and if we invested in early childhood education, we could solve with some multipronged solutions in a couple of generations. Howard cut the funding for some effective evidenced based programmes for underserved communities.

So all poor children with the option of pre-school with breakfast, lunch and dinner to take home and some to share.

With 1 in 5 children going to bed without dinner or to school – learning how to emotionally regulate is challenging.

Mental health workers/counsellors with police – to attend DV – 1 in 3 women live with DV – so there were houses the whole family could move into with 24/7 assistance. The parents were taught parenting skills and substance issues and depression were assisted with. Children were encouraged to play and have access to a whole range of experiences. The families that lived in these houses for 12 months changed in ways that wasn’t through possible.

Rape prevention – 1 in 4 girls they say 1 in 6 or 1 in 8 boys are sexually abused before they turn 16. Resources to help people who have the impulses to sexually abuse could really stem the tide.

Trauma informed psychologists available at every school just linke in Finland. Nurses in each school just like in Finland.

Housing

Enough Food to Eat

UBI or meaningful work.

Teachers are not as bad as what nurses experience but one of my local high schools had over 1500 assaults of teachers. Class sizes need to be 10 -12 students so you can sit with each one and help them process their feelings and do their learning.

Finland does all this and so much more.

If a child is struggling a support teacher’s aide comes immediately. No 60 pages of documentation you have to fill out in Australia and nothing being done to the following year when you are told you have to refill out the 60 pages of documentation.

Climate change action – the kids are freaking out about it. The adults can ignore it but the kids anxiety is goig through the roof. They are scared.

Leaders that behave with ethics, not my ethics, but just some ethics of their’s right or left wing it doesn’t matter.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:42:00
From: Arts
ID: 1992309
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


ms spock said:

Cymek said:

Not me it was client I was processing.
They were put on an order for it.
Just the things people do with no regards for others.

Oh so that person was a bit upset about it and you heard all about it.

The things that people do with no regards for others can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Yes, and probably all over a very trivial matter.

People getting emotional over trivial matters.

Strange that.

I mean, it’s usually not over a trivial matter, we call it displacement of anger… these outbursts are more often than not the end result of a series of negative experiences that culminate into an outburst – usually towards objects and people not involved, in places unrelated to the frustrations.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:42:55
From: ms spock
ID: 1992310
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


ms spock said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Yes, adults throwing tantrums.

They need to go to an anti- tantrum school.

I think we need to build as many as we can as soon as possible!

Also China limits children to Tik Tock to 100 minutes per day.

Articles I have read say a lot of Silicon Valley don’t let their children have phones but when they do it’s 2-4 hours and never any mobile phones in the bedrooms.

We spend millions on eduction people go through the eduction system and as adults are unable to control their emotions, I find that strange.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:45:30
From: Cymek
ID: 1992312
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

Cymek said:

SCIENCE said:

how much confidentiality is required

From me ?

well yes we mean people absolutely do find the cases interesting but are these on the public record already or should we be more cautious about spilling the beans

I try not to reveal anything that could identify people.
I don’t have to do it if people are worried.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:46:13
From: ms spock
ID: 1992313
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


ms spock said:

The things that people do with no regards for others can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Yes. Like leaving the door open, or taking 13 items through the 12 items or less supermarket checkout.

With trauma a lot of responses can be to things that happened years ago, family member kills other family member, being beaten until unconscious, domestic violence, sexual abuse, and the person is reacting to that time and those circumstances which might seem trivial at the time without a person’s trauma history or life story.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:48:03
From: ms spock
ID: 1992314
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


SCIENCE said:

Cymek said:

From me ?

well yes we mean people absolutely do find the cases interesting but are these on the public record already or should we be more cautious about spilling the beans

I try not to reveal anything that could identify people.
I don’t have to do it if people are worried.

I am not worried about that.

I was just worried about you. If you are okay, and you need to vent or share from time to time. I don’t understand the complexity of what you are doing, but I can be a sympathetic pointed ear from time to time.

And as I learn to insult and swear at people in Irish Gaelic I will be a better support person. Swearing can assist in discharging the nervous system.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 13:55:27
From: Cymek
ID: 1992315
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Woodie said:

ms spock said:

The things that people do with no regards for others can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Yes. Like leaving the door open, or taking 13 items through the 12 items or less supermarket checkout.

With trauma a lot of responses can be to things that happened years ago, family member kills other family member, being beaten until unconscious, domestic violence, sexual abuse, and the person is reacting to that time and those circumstances which might seem trivial at the time without a person’s trauma history or life story.

Like this one now, six children living in a drug house, were found wandering around the streets as parents are out of it.
House had no food, not enough beds, unclean, years worth of needles in the house, bedroom missing a window.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:05:21
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1992318
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Adults unable to control their emotions.

Its about time to make a law about this.

These laws already exist.

Well, a new law, one that is better than the last one. It’s new laws for everyone!

not for me, i’m a free person beholden to no laws.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:05:50
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1992319
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:

SCIENCE said:

Cymek said:

From me ?

well yes we mean people absolutely do find the cases interesting but are these on the public record already or should we be more cautious about spilling the beans

I try not to reveal anything that could identify people.
I don’t have to do it if people are worried.

fair enough, we’re all cool, just making sure you’r‘n’t going to get into trouble for posting details of cases

like in our activities we’d get talked to if we put too much detail out there

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:07:51
From: Arts
ID: 1992320
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


sibeen said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

These laws already exist.

Well, a new law, one that is better than the last one. It’s new laws for everyone!

not for me, i’m a free person beholden to no laws.

sovereignty has worked so well for so many individuals lately

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:09:34
From: Arts
ID: 1992322
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

Cymek said:

SCIENCE said:

well yes we mean people absolutely do find the cases interesting but are these on the public record already or should we be more cautious about spilling the beans

I try not to reveal anything that could identify people.
I don’t have to do it if people are worried.

fair enough, we’re all cool, just making sure you’r‘n’t going to get into trouble for posting details of cases

like in our activities we’d get talked to if we put too much detail out there

for a lot of what I do, it’s the same… and on a forum any bigger I might advise Cymek to be careful, since Perth is a small place and where he works even smaller…. however if anything he says is a matter of public record, then I guess he can go for it.. and it saves me having to look stuff up sometimes :)

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:11:13
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1992323
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


JudgeMental said:

sibeen said:

Well, a new law, one that is better than the last one. It’s new laws for everyone!

not for me, i’m a free person beholden to no laws.

sovereignty has worked so well for so many individuals lately

I have read both the magna carta and maritime laws. I’m the full bottle .

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:12:50
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1992324
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


ms spock said:

The things that people do with no regards for others can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Yes. Like leaving the door open, or taking 13 items through the 12 items or less supermarket checkout.

12 items or fewer.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:12:56
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1992325
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:

sibeen said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

These laws already exist.

Well, a new law, one that is better than the last one. It’s new laws for everyone!

not for me, i’m a free person beholden to no laws.

Even a free particle is subject to the law of
Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:13:44
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1992326
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:

Woodie said:

ms spock said:

The things that people do with no regards for others can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Yes. Like leaving the door open, or taking 13 items through the 12 items or less supermarket checkout.

12 items or fewer.

less, we only make irrational purchases

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:19:38
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1992328
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Arts said:

JudgeMental said:

not for me, i’m a free person beholden to no laws.

sovereignty has worked so well for so many individuals lately

I have read both the magna carta and maritime laws. I’m the full bottle .

Ok, off the top of your head then (no googling allowed) what’s the summary import of Rules 2,5,7 and 8 of the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea, 1972?

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:26:11
From: Arts
ID: 1992332
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Arts said:

JudgeMental said:

not for me, i’m a free person beholden to no laws.

sovereignty has worked so well for so many individuals lately

I have read both the magna carta and maritime laws. I’m the full bottle .

maritime law, by far the worst of all the laws…

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:28:30
From: Michael V
ID: 1992333
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Arts said:

JudgeMental said:

not for me, i’m a free person beholden to no laws.

sovereignty has worked so well for so many individuals lately

I have read both the magna carta and maritime laws. I’m the full bottle .

Done your own research. Good to go then.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:30:20
From: Arts
ID: 1992335
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

we are advised to access ChatGPT and ask the same assessment questions we would ask students.. so I go to chatGPT and get
“ChatGPT is at capacity right now
Get notified when we’re back”

so it looks like it won’t be as big a problem as it could be

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:30:56
From: Arts
ID: 1992337
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


JudgeMental said:

Arts said:

sovereignty has worked so well for so many individuals lately

I have read both the magna carta and maritime laws. I’m the full bottle .

Done your own research. Good to go then.

lol

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:31:44
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992338
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


ms spock said:

The things that people do with no regards for others can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Yes. Like leaving the door open, or taking 13 items through the 12 items or less supermarket checkout.

I call them out and make a scene, some old ladies start saying things like ‘oh I didn’t know I had thirteen items’ and then start crying but it’s the only way they’ll learn.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:31:54
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1992339
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:

we are advised to access ChatGPT and ask the same assessment questions we would ask students.. so I go to chatGPT and get
“ChatGPT is at capacity right now
Get notified when we’re back”

so it looks like it won’t be as big a problem as it could be

you mean the students have already gotten onto it

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:32:23
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992340
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Mr Tunks has done a lovely job as usual. We had a good long chat afterwards.

He’s still deep in grief as you’d expect and really just trying to take his mind off things. Finding it difficult to go back to an empty house :(

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:33:25
From: sibeen
ID: 1992341
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


we are advised to access ChatGPT and ask the same assessment questions we would ask students.. so I go to chatGPT and get
“ChatGPT is at capacity right now
Get notified when we’re back”

so it looks like it won’t be as big a problem as it could be

There’s probably around 200 million users by now. They’ll just chuck money at processing power and the bottlenecks will ease. it’s going to be a huge problem. Also a huge boon.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:35:19
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992342
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Mr Tunks has done a lovely job as usual. We had a good long chat afterwards.

He’s still deep in grief as you’d expect and really just trying to take his mind off things. Finding it difficult to go back to an empty house :(

Must be tough loosing a life long partner.
There must be a lot of things in the house that remind him of her, poor bloke.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:35:26
From: Michael V
ID: 1992343
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Mr Tunks has done a lovely job as usual. We had a good long chat afterwards.

He’s still deep in grief as you’d expect and really just trying to take his mind off things. Finding it difficult to go back to an empty house :(

Poor bugger.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:38:34
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1992345
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:

Arts said:

we are advised to access ChatGPT and ask the same assessment questions we would ask students.. so I go to chatGPT and get
“ChatGPT is at capacity right now
Get notified when we’re back”

so it looks like it won’t be as big a problem as it could be

There’s probably around 200 million users by now. They’ll just chuck money at processing power and the bottlenecks will ease. it’s going to be a huge problem. Also a huge boon.

oh for the times back when the mining industry meant cryptocurrency

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:39:13
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1992346
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

captain_spalding said:

Woodie said:

Yes. Like leaving the door open, or taking 13 items through the 12 items or less supermarket checkout.

12 items or fewer.

less, we only make irrational purchases

tough crowd

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:39:31
From: Cymek
ID: 1992347
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Woodie said:

ms spock said:

The things that people do with no regards for others can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Yes. Like leaving the door open, or taking 13 items through the 12 items or less supermarket checkout.

I call them out and make a scene, some old ladies start saying things like ‘oh I didn’t know I had thirteen items’ and then start crying but it’s the only way they’ll learn.

I sneak up behind them and add an item or two, they then argue with the checkout person and get banned from the store.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:39:52
From: transition
ID: 1992348
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I watches edumacational stuff on the tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7lnh6tb1HA
The P-51 Mustang , the American Fighter And Fighter-Bomber that was key in winning the war

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:41:13
From: Arts
ID: 1992349
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

Arts said:

we are advised to access ChatGPT and ask the same assessment questions we would ask students.. so I go to chatGPT and get
“ChatGPT is at capacity right now
Get notified when we’re back”

so it looks like it won’t be as big a problem as it could be

you mean the students have already gotten onto it

that will be interesting because unit outlines aren’t released yet

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:41:51
From: Arts
ID: 1992350
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Arts said:

we are advised to access ChatGPT and ask the same assessment questions we would ask students.. so I go to chatGPT and get
“ChatGPT is at capacity right now
Get notified when we’re back”

so it looks like it won’t be as big a problem as it could be

There’s probably around 200 million users by now. They’ll just chuck money at processing power and the bottlenecks will ease. it’s going to be a huge problem. Also a huge boon.

at least it’ll make marking less frustrating… the essays might have some coherency about them

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 14:42:24
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992351
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

Mr Tunks has done a lovely job as usual. We had a good long chat afterwards.

He’s still deep in grief as you’d expect and really just trying to take his mind off things. Finding it difficult to go back to an empty house :(

Must be tough loosing a life long partner.
There must be a lot of things in the house that remind him of her, poor bloke.

It was a hard blow because although she’d been ill with cancer for a long time she’d been given the all clear late last year, and they were making all sorts of plans for the new year.

Then shortly before Christmas she was diagnosed with a completely new lot, much more aggressive and she went downhill fast. Towards the end she couldn’t walk or talk but still hung on for some weeks.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 15:00:23
From: Michael V
ID: 1992354
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Bubblecar said:

Mr Tunks has done a lovely job as usual. We had a good long chat afterwards.

He’s still deep in grief as you’d expect and really just trying to take his mind off things. Finding it difficult to go back to an empty house :(

Must be tough loosing a life long partner.
There must be a lot of things in the house that remind him of her, poor bloke.

It was a hard blow because although she’d been ill with cancer for a long time she’d been given the all clear late last year, and they were making all sorts of plans for the new year.

Then shortly before Christmas she was diagnosed with a completely new lot, much more aggressive and she went downhill fast. Towards the end she couldn’t walk or talk but still hung on for some weeks.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 15:32:37
From: buffy
ID: 1992358
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


ms spock said:

The things that people do with no regards for others can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Yes. Like leaving the door open, or taking 13 items through the 12 items or less supermarket checkout.

We don’t seem to have the signs up about 12 items or less now. I think it dates from when the self serve checkouts started. But it’s a terrible checkout at the smokes desk, no little conveyor for your stuff, very little space. Someone with a full trolley really gums up the works.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 16:24:21
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1992362
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Chinese Scientists Propose New Way to Break Encryption, Changing the World of Security Forever
by SOFREP
1 day ago

In a major breakthrough, Chinese scientists have published a paper proposing using quantum computing techniques to break modern-day encryption systems.

Their technique involves using 372 qubits on an IBM quantum computer combined with Schnoor’s classical factoring algorithm for RSA 2048-bit numbers used in encryption systems. If the paper’s findings are accurate, then it could have serious implications for military and intelligence communication, financial transactions, and text messages around the world since existing cryptographic protocols would become vulnerable to attack.

The paper is currently under peer review, and its validity has been questioned by experts such as Lawrence Gasman, president of Inside Quantum Technology, who believes that it should at least be taken seriously given the possible consequences of its findings.

Read more:

https://sofrep.com/news/chinese-scientists-propose-new-way-to-break-encryption-changing-the-world-of-security-forever/

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 17:07:29
From: Elvis_Rieu
ID: 1992368
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

S
P
A
C
E

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 17:25:50
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992369
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Elvis_Rieu said:


S
P
A
C
E

the final frontier.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 17:39:12
From: transition
ID: 1992370
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

lady puzzling in Womans Day Super Puzzle book

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretarybird

“The secretarybird or secretary bird (Sagittarius serpentarius) is a large, mostly terrestrial bird of prey. Endemic to Africa, it is usually found in the open grasslands and savanna of the sub-Saharan region. John Frederick Miller described the species in 1779. Although a member of the order Accipitriformes, which also includes many other diurnal birds of prey such as kites, hawks, vultures, and harriers, it is placed in its own family, Sagittariidae.

The secretarybird is instantly recognizable as a very large bird with an eagle-like body on crane-like legs that give the bird a height of as much as 1.3 m (4 ft 3 in). The sexes are similar in appearance. Adults have a featherless red-orange face and predominantly grey plumage, with a flattened dark crest and black flight feathers and thighs. It also has very long eyelashes….”

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 17:44:49
From: transition
ID: 1992371
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


I watches edumacational stuff on the tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7lnh6tb1HA
The P-51 Mustang , the American Fighter And Fighter-Bomber that was key in winning the war

and covered the Merlin engines

now moving onto the Griffon engines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxW3xCLmDl0
New DVD Title! Inside The Rolls-Royce Griffon Aero Engine…

36.7L displacement

2450HP at takeoff I reckons in the supermarine spitfire

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 17:46:44
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992372
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


lady puzzling in Womans Day Super Puzzle book

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretarybird

“The secretarybird or secretary bird (Sagittarius serpentarius) is a large, mostly terrestrial bird of prey. Endemic to Africa, it is usually found in the open grasslands and savanna of the sub-Saharan region. John Frederick Miller described the species in 1779. Although a member of the order Accipitriformes, which also includes many other diurnal birds of prey such as kites, hawks, vultures, and harriers, it is placed in its own family, Sagittariidae.

The secretarybird is instantly recognizable as a very large bird with an eagle-like body on crane-like legs that give the bird a height of as much as 1.3 m (4 ft 3 in). The sexes are similar in appearance. Adults have a featherless red-orange face and predominantly grey plumage, with a flattened dark crest and black flight feathers and thighs. It also has very long eyelashes….”

It is one of the world’s weirder birdies.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 17:56:10
From: Cymek
ID: 1992373
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


transition said:

lady puzzling in Womans Day Super Puzzle book

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretarybird

“The secretarybird or secretary bird (Sagittarius serpentarius) is a large, mostly terrestrial bird of prey. Endemic to Africa, it is usually found in the open grasslands and savanna of the sub-Saharan region. John Frederick Miller described the species in 1779. Although a member of the order Accipitriformes, which also includes many other diurnal birds of prey such as kites, hawks, vultures, and harriers, it is placed in its own family, Sagittariidae.

The secretarybird is instantly recognizable as a very large bird with an eagle-like body on crane-like legs that give the bird a height of as much as 1.3 m (4 ft 3 in). The sexes are similar in appearance. Adults have a featherless red-orange face and predominantly grey plumage, with a flattened dark crest and black flight feathers and thighs. It also has very long eyelashes….”

It is one of the world’s weirder birdies.

They look like fake legs that’s for sure

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 18:01:31
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992376
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


transition said:

lady puzzling in Womans Day Super Puzzle book

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretarybird

“The secretarybird or secretary bird (Sagittarius serpentarius) is a large, mostly terrestrial bird of prey. Endemic to Africa, it is usually found in the open grasslands and savanna of the sub-Saharan region. John Frederick Miller described the species in 1779. Although a member of the order Accipitriformes, which also includes many other diurnal birds of prey such as kites, hawks, vultures, and harriers, it is placed in its own family, Sagittariidae.

The secretarybird is instantly recognizable as a very large bird with an eagle-like body on crane-like legs that give the bird a height of as much as 1.3 m (4 ft 3 in). The sexes are similar in appearance. Adults have a featherless red-orange face and predominantly grey plumage, with a flattened dark crest and black flight feathers and thighs. It also has very long eyelashes….”

It is one of the world’s weirder birdies.

a hoot of a bird.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 18:04:21
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992378
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

a selection of photos taken by Nadion her visit.




and she found dust in mineable quantities.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 18:05:01
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992379
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


a selection of photos taken by Nadion her visit.




and she found dust in mineable quantities.

a selection of photos taken by Nadion her visit.

Mandi. Mandi.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 18:06:01
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992380
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

a selection of photos taken by Nadion her visit.




and she found dust in mineable quantities.

a selection of photos taken by Nadion her visit.

Mandi. Mandi.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 18:13:58
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1992383
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


transition said:

I watches edumacational stuff on the tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7lnh6tb1HA
The P-51 Mustang , the American Fighter And Fighter-Bomber that was key in winning the war

and covered the Merlin engines

now moving onto the Griffon engines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxW3xCLmDl0
New DVD Title! Inside The Rolls-Royce Griffon Aero Engine…

36.7L displacement

2450HP at takeoff I reckons in the supermarine spitfire

But, Packard-built and RR-built Merlins were not precisely identical, and parts were not always interchangeable.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/classic-cars/a30763715/rolls-royce-vs-packard-who-built-a-better-merlin/

You could still buy WW2 production Merlins, mostly Packards, in their original crates up to at least the middling 1970s.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 18:25:17
From: transition
ID: 1992387
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

an unpleasantness outdoors, wind and dust, wind got stronger, more dust, bad enough to to wear a mask while moving the hose

been a hot day

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 18:50:53
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992392
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Mary Queen of Scots secret lost letters decoded more than 430 years later

A team of codebreakers have managed to decipher secret correspondence from Mary Queen of Scots which were penned while imprisoned by her cousin Queen Elizabeth I.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/read-this/mary-queen-of-scots-secret-lost-letters-decoded-more-than-430-years-later-4019329

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 18:52:42
From: Michael V
ID: 1992393
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


transition said:

transition said:

I watches edumacational stuff on the tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7lnh6tb1HA
The P-51 Mustang , the American Fighter And Fighter-Bomber that was key in winning the war

and covered the Merlin engines

now moving onto the Griffon engines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxW3xCLmDl0
New DVD Title! Inside The Rolls-Royce Griffon Aero Engine…

36.7L displacement

2450HP at takeoff I reckons in the supermarine spitfire

But, Packard-built and RR-built Merlins were not precisely identical, and parts were not always interchangeable.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/classic-cars/a30763715/rolls-royce-vs-packard-who-built-a-better-merlin/

You could still buy WW2 production Merlins, mostly Packards, in their original crates up to at least the middling 1970s.

Interesting, ta.

Mid 1970’s I was offered a cheap Merlin engine, but when I measured it up it would have been very difficult to shoe-horn it into my 1968 Holden panel van.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 18:54:35
From: transition
ID: 1992394
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


captain_spalding said:

transition said:

and covered the Merlin engines

now moving onto the Griffon engines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxW3xCLmDl0
New DVD Title! Inside The Rolls-Royce Griffon Aero Engine…

36.7L displacement

2450HP at takeoff I reckons in the supermarine spitfire

But, Packard-built and RR-built Merlins were not precisely identical, and parts were not always interchangeable.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/classic-cars/a30763715/rolls-royce-vs-packard-who-built-a-better-merlin/

You could still buy WW2 production Merlins, mostly Packards, in their original crates up to at least the middling 1970s.

Interesting, ta.

Mid 1970’s I was offered a cheap Merlin engine, but when I measured it up it would have been very difficult to shoe-horn it into my 1968 Holden panel van.

chuckle

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 19:06:01
From: buffy
ID: 1992399
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Food report: I was cook. I have made – and we have consumed – sweet and sour pork and veggies. I used real pineapple. The pineapples have been good lately. So now there is some chopped pineapple for me to eat with cream for dessert.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 19:20:13
From: buffy
ID: 1992405
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

And testing the little antenna thingy for the wireless mouse and keyboard. They have been not talking to each other. So it’s on an extension lead and up on the desk with direct line of sight to the gadgets. Seems to be working a lot better.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 20:05:13
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992424
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Alphabet shares dive by $144b after Google AI chatbot Bard makes error in ad

Google AI chatbot Bard causes error shares dive by $144b

Gives credit to NASA telescope instead of ESO telescope.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 21:10:36
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1992436
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

well that was some nice Adelaide Hills truffle brie

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 21:14:14
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992439
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

well that was some nice Adelaide Hills truffle brie

Goodo. There’s a fine one produced here in the Tamar Valley.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 21:16:32
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992440
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


SCIENCE said:

well that was some nice Adelaide Hills truffle brie

Goodo. There’s a fine one produced here in the Tamar Valley.


Never tried it, looks interesting.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 21:27:24
From: Kingy
ID: 1992442
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

It’s been a busy day, but after work I was able to collect the new navigation tabs for our firetrucks.

Now I have to log them in to the WiFi, update them, and get them ready for use.

It appears that next week’s fire brigade training is sorted, I just need to find out how they work.

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 22:07:00
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992450
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Samsung takes mobile photography to 200 megapixels with Galaxy S23 Ultra

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 22:10:00
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992454
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Eye-pressure-sensing contact lens both monitors and manages glaucoma

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 22:10:45
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1992455
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:

Samsung takes mobile photography to 200 megapixels with Galaxy S23 Ultra

nice, fill up a hard drive with each snap

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 22:21:55
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992462
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AI-aided alien search detects 8 “very suspicious” radio signals

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 22:28:20
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1992467
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


AI-aided alien search detects 8 “very suspicious” radio signals

https://seti.berkeley.edu/ml_gbt/MLSETI_NatAstron_arxiv3.pdf

Link

A deep-learning search for technosignatures of 820
nearby stars

ABSTRACT
The goal of the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) is to quantify the prevalence of technological life beyond Earth via their “technosignatures”. One theorized technosignature is narrowband Doppler drifting radio signals. The principal challenge in conducting SETI in the radio domain is developing a generalized technique to reject human radio frequency interference (RFI). Here, we present the most comprehensive deep-learning based technosignature search to date, returning 8 promising ETI signals of interest for re-observation as part of the Breakthrough Listen initiative. The search comprises 820 unique targets observed with the Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope, totaling over 480 hr of on-sky data. We implement a novel β−Convolutional Variational Autoencoder to identify technosignature candidates in a semi-unsupervised manner while keeping the false positive rate manageably low. This new approach presents itself as a leading solution in accelerating SETI and other transient research into the age of data-driven astronomy

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 22:49:07
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992471
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A circular economy to tackle space junk

Southampton researchers have developed the world’s first robust method for estimating the value and mass of space junk.

A fully circular economy for space—removing space junk and reusing or recycling it—is a viable possibility to safeguard the future for satellites and space exploration, according to new research from the University of Southampton.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 22:59:24
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992472
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Oldest fossil mushroom so far discovered, age 115 million years. A lucky find in limestone from Brazil.

https://news.illinois.edu/view/6367/513053

Reply Quote

Date: 9/02/2023 23:06:05
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992473
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Oldest fossil mushroom so far discovered, age 115 million years. A lucky find in limestone from Brazil.

https://news.illinois.edu/view/6367/513053


…although microscopic fungal structures much older than that, that may have had fruiting mushrooms, have since been discovered (between 715 and 810 million years old).

First mushrooms appeared earlier than previously thought.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 00:00:17
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992480
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Designing a label for the large jar of pickled mushrooms I’ll be doing next week.

The weight is speculative at this stage.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 00:04:26
From: Kingy
ID: 1992484
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Somewhere about now ish, the SSSF/holiday is getting on towards about a quarter of a century old.

Do we know the actual date when it started?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 00:07:46
From: sibeen
ID: 1992486
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Somewhere about now ish, the SSSF/holiday is getting on towards about a quarter of a century old.

Do we know the actual date when it started?

Boris will know. He was old and wise even back then

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 00:13:44
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1992490
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Designing a label for the large jar of pickled mushrooms I’ll be doing next week.

The weight is speculative at this stage.


Like.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 00:55:40
From: dv
ID: 1992493
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

If the inflows to Lake Eyre increased greatly*, eventually it would increase to the size shown here, with a surface elevation of 87 metres above sea level.

At that height it would spill over into the Lake Torrens basin. This would I suppose fill, and would in turn spill into the Pirie–Torrens corridor down to Spencer Gulf once its surface elevation reached 41 metres.

*It would need to be around to be around 1600 gigalitres per day just to overcome evaporation.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 00:58:00
From: dv
ID: 1992494
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Kingy said:

Somewhere about now ish, the SSSF/holiday is getting on towards about a quarter of a century old.

Do we know the actual date when it started?

Boris will know. He was old and wise even back then

Post 1 on the SSSF in its familiar format occurred at 15/10/99 16:32:05 but I gather there was some kind of board before that.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 00:58:02
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992495
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


If the inflows to Lake Eyre increased greatly*, eventually it would increase to the size shown here, with a surface elevation of 87 metres above sea level.

At that height it would spill over into the Lake Torrens basin. This would I suppose fill, and would in turn spill into the Pirie–Torrens corridor down to Spencer Gulf once its surface elevation reached 41 metres.

*It would need to be around to be around 1600 gigalitres per day just to overcome evaporation.

like… an inland sea?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 00:58:49
From: dv
ID: 1992496
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


dv said:

If the inflows to Lake Eyre increased greatly*, eventually it would increase to the size shown here, with a surface elevation of 87 metres above sea level.

At that height it would spill over into the Lake Torrens basin. This would I suppose fill, and would in turn spill into the Pirie–Torrens corridor down to Spencer Gulf once its surface elevation reached 41 metres.

*It would need to be around to be around 1600 gigalitres per day just to overcome evaporation.

like… an inland sea?

I suppose so

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 01:00:32
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1992497
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Funny cat video:

“I meant to do that” 😂

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden/status/1623076705672781825?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 01:01:11
From: party_pants
ID: 1992498
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


If the inflows to Lake Eyre increased greatly*, eventually it would increase to the size shown here, with a surface elevation of 87 metres above sea level.

At that height it would spill over into the Lake Torrens basin. This would I suppose fill, and would in turn spill into the Pirie–Torrens corridor down to Spencer Gulf once its surface elevation reached 41 metres.

*It would need to be around to be around 1600 gigalitres per day just to overcome evaporation.

I wonder how big the waves would be, if you wanted to sail from one shore to the other, if there was a good strong wind blowing over the lake.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 01:06:25
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992499
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Funny cat video:

“I meant to do that” 😂

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden/status/1623076705672781825?

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 01:18:55
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992500
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Designing a label for the large jar of pickled mushrooms I’ll be doing next week.

The weight is speculative at this stage.


Further developed.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 01:27:51
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992501
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Designing a label for the large jar of pickled mushrooms I’ll be doing next week.

The weight is speculative at this stage.


Further developed.


Text on the right is slightly more centred.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 01:31:26
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992502
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Designing a label for the large jar of pickled mushrooms I’ll be doing next week.

The weight is speculative at this stage.


Further developed.


Text on the right is slightly more centred.

how many jars are you going to make?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 01:43:23
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992503
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Further developed.


Text on the right is slightly more centred.

how many jars are you going to make?

Just one to begin with but if they’re good, I’ll probably do them regularly and may do some as gifts.

I’ll be using the big 1.36kg Coles pickles jars, with their labels removed. I now have three of these.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 01:44:32
From: dv
ID: 1992504
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I thought maybe the Titus Salt school logo was cropped because of some web design issue.

But nope… that’s the whole logo.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 01:53:00
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992505
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I thought maybe the Titus Salt school logo was cropped because of some web design issue.

But nope… that’s the whole logo.


Wonder how long that will last before those in charge say “Actually, nah…”

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 01:54:06
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992506
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Text on the right is slightly more centred.

how many jars are you going to make?

Just one to begin with but if they’re good, I’ll probably do them regularly and may do some as gifts.

I’ll be using the big 1.36kg Coles pickles jars, with their labels removed. I now have three of these.


Try to imagine it full of mushrooms instead of pickles :)

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 01:54:33
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992507
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

how many jars are you going to make?

Just one to begin with but if they’re good, I’ll probably do them regularly and may do some as gifts.

I’ll be using the big 1.36kg Coles pickles jars, with their labels removed. I now have three of these.


Try to imagine it full of mushrooms instead of pickles :)


Um, instead of cucumbers I mean.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 02:51:10
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1992513
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:

I’ll be using the big 1.36kg Coles pickles jars, with their labels removed. I now have three of these.

Thanks for reminding me! I have a can of Dill Pickles that has been in my fridge for some time.
They’ll get scoffed in the next few days!

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 02:54:37
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992514
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Burt Bacharach has passed away at 94

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 02:59:51
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1992515
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Burt Bacharach has passed away at 94

He had a good life, and leaves behind many memories.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/burt-bacharach-legendary-composer-of-pop-songs-dies-at-94/101955388

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 03:03:31
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992516
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Iranian press review: Conservatives offended by seeing belly buttons in public

You want to tell these people to grow up.

But they are already grown up.

I suppose hair on women’s legs would drive them crazy.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 03:07:10
From: dv
ID: 1992517
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Just one to begin with but if they’re good, I’ll probably do them regularly and may do some as gifts.

I’ll be using the big 1.36kg Coles pickles jars, with their labels removed. I now have three of these.


Try to imagine it full of mushrooms instead of pickles :)


Um, instead of cucumbers I mean.

I see your logos is an ellipse, rather than just the rightmost 63% of an ellipse.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 05:45:45
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1992518
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Raising sons is so draining, orca moms struggle to have more kids, study says

By Leo Sands
February 9, 2023 at 10:01 a.m. EST

LONDON — Orca whale mothers sacrifice so much energy parenting and feeding their male offspring that it drastically reduces their chances of raising another calf again, a new study has found.

Male killer whale children were already known to be needier than their female counterparts, demanding continual feeding by their mothers — who bite salmon in half and share it with their male sons, even after they are fully grown.

Yet the multigenerational field study, published Wednesday in the journal Current Biology, is the first time scientists have observed that this preferential treatment extracts a permanent toll on whale mothers. With dwindling food supplies in the Pacific, the strategy is now adding to concerns over the orca population’s overall future, researchers said.

“For their whole life, these sons are imposing a cost on their mother, and this is highly unusual,” Sam Ellis, an animal behavioral researcher at England’s University of Exeter, who co-wrote the study, said in an interview. The study is also the first time scientists have documented a lifelong toll on mothers in any large mammal species that usually reproduces more than once.

Researchers studied decades-worth of census data that tracked 40 female orcas living off the Pacific coast of Washington state and British Columbia since 1982.

They found that female orcas who had a son were about 50 percent less likely than those who had daughters to have another whale baby survive its first year of life, in any given year. That held true even after the sons reached adulthood, from 12 to 15 years old.

In contrast, researchers found no evidence that raising female offspring — who achieve complete independence from their parent and do not demand continued feeding as adults — reduce a mother’s future reproductive chances.

“What the killer whales seem to be doing is having a son, and investing in that son for the rest of their life,” Ellis said. “That is regardless of whether the son is 3 or 30.”

“It’s unusual because you would expect under most scenarios your best option as a female is to have your offspring, get them big and strong, and then have another offspring,” Ellis added. When orca mothers catch large salmon, they feed portions to their infants — and any adult sons, he said.

The strategy of orca whale moms feeding males into adulthood may have an evolutionary motivation — as these sons often go on to father many more offspring of their own.

By giving male offspring preferential treatment into adulthood, mothers may increase their chance of raising a son who grows up to become the dominant member of the group, Ellis said. In any given year, it is the oldest male in a group of orca whales — or occasionally the two oldest — who will father all the offspring in a group, Ellis explained.

So by raising her son to become the dominant group member — even if it means neglecting her female offspring and sacrificing her future child-rearing capacity — a mother killer whale could still be increasing her chance of becoming a grandmother to many.

“From a female’s point of view, if you invest in your son — if you keep your son alive, and keep them big, you might hit the jackpot and have loads of grand-offspring from your son,” Ellis said.

But less available salmon means orca moms may now be feeding their sons at the cost of their own survival. “When in the past there were lots of salmon — this strategy of investing everything in your son was a really great idea,” Ellis said.

Orca vs. shark: Rare drone footage shows killer whales mauling great whites

But “the amount of salmon available is just declining” in the Pacific, he added. “If there was more salmon around, this increased investment in males would matter less — because there’s still enough food for females to both invest in their sons and invest in themselves.”

There are just 73 southern resident killer whales alive in the Pacific, a population that has been in decline since the early 1990s.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2023/02/09/orca-mothers-sons-lifelong-toll/?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 06:43:11
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992520
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

2.9-million-year-old butchery site in Kenya suggests humans perhaps weren’t first to use crafted stone tools.
Link

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 06:52:14
From: buffy
ID: 1992524
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 11 degrees at the back door, and there is a light breeze. And a moderate fog – ooh, which in the last 5 minutes has thickened to a heavy fog. About 20m visibility. Once that clears, we are forecast 33 degrees, than down into the twenties for a few days and presently next Thursday is forecast a 37.

Nothing specific planned for today. A bit more weeding. A bit of pruning. I picked the first barely ripe Red Delicious apple of the season yesterday. I haven’t eaten it yet. I expect it to be rather tart. I should check the Snow Apples. They are generally quite early to ripen.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 08:25:22
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1992527
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Wi-Fi signals could prove useful for spies
A router’s emissions can paint a picture of activity in a room

Jan 25th 2023

Like all radio waves, Wi-Fi signals undergo subtle shifts when they encounter objects—human beings included. These can reveal information about the shape and motion of what has been encountered, in a manner akin to the way a bat’s chirps reveal obstacles and prey.

Starting from this premise Jiaqi Geng, Dong Huang and Fernando De la Torre, of Carnegie Mellon University, in Pittsburgh, wondered if they could use Wi-Fi to record the behaviour of people inside otherwise unobservable rooms. As they describe in a posting on arXiv, they have found that they can. “DensePose from Wi-Fi”, the paper in question, describes how they ran Wi-Fi signals from a room with appropriate routers in it through an artificial-intelligence algorithm trained on signals from people engaging in various, known activities. This algorithm was able to reconstruct moving digital portraits, called pose estimations, of the individuals in the room.

Mr Geng, Dr Huang and Dr De la Torre are not the first to think of doing this. But they seem to have made a significant advance. Earlier experiments had managed to obtain two-dimensional (2d) pose estimations based on as many as 17 “vector points” on the body—such as head, chest, knees, elbows and hands. The new paper, by contrast, describes “2.5d” portraits that track 24 vector points (see picture). And, according Dr Huang, the team has now built an enhanced version capable of generating complete 3d body reconstructions that track thousands of vector points. Moreover, this work employed standard antennas of the sort used in household Wi-Fi routers. Previous efforts have relied on souped-up versions of the equipment.

Detailed Wi-Fi-based body-tracking with a standard-issue router would have many uses. Mr Geng, Dr Huang and Dr De la Torre talk of employing it to “monitor the well-being of elder people”. A team working on similar technology, led by Yili Ren of Florida State University, suggests it could be used in interactive gaming and exercise monitoring. And, in 2016, Dina Katabi, Mingmin Zhao and Fadel Adib of the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology demonstrated how Wi-Fi-like radio signals could detect a volunteer’s heartbeat (and thus his or her emotional state) remotely.

These ideas are, however, distractions from what any such system would almost certainly be used for to start with, namely surveillance and espionage. In 2018, for example, Yanzi Zhu of the University of California, Santa Barbara and his colleagues showed how hackers posted outside someone’s home could track the movements (though not then visualise the postures) of people inside, by intercepting escaping Wi-Fi signals.

It is easy to imagine who might be interested in the ability to turn any building’s Wi-Fi network into a mini panopticon. Dr Huang declined to say who is sponsoring his team’s work. However, another of their projects—developing techniques for detecting specific human behaviours in video-surveillance footage—is paid for by iarpa, the research hub of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, which oversees America’s spies.

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2023/01/25/wi-fi-signals-could-prove-useful-for-spies?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 09:07:10
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1992536
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:

Wi-Fi signals could prove useful for spies
A router’s emissions can paint a picture of activity in a room

Jan 25th 2023

Like all radio waves, Wi-Fi signals undergo subtle shifts when they encounter objects—human beings included. These can reveal information about the shape and motion of what has been encountered, in a manner akin to the way a bat’s chirps reveal obstacles and prey.

Starting from this premise Jiaqi Geng, Dong Huang and Fernando De la Torre, of Carnegie Mellon University, in Pittsburgh, wondered if they could use Wi-Fi to record the behaviour of people inside otherwise unobservable rooms. As they describe in a posting on arXiv, they have found that they can. “DensePose from Wi-Fi”, the paper in question, describes how they ran Wi-Fi signals from a room with appropriate routers in it through an artificial-intelligence algorithm trained on signals from people engaging in various, known activities. This algorithm was able to reconstruct moving digital portraits, called pose estimations, of the individuals in the room.

Mr Geng, Dr Huang and Dr De la Torre are not the first to think of doing this. But they seem to have made a significant advance. Earlier experiments had managed to obtain two-dimensional (2d) pose estimations based on as many as 17 “vector points” on the body—such as head, chest, knees, elbows and hands. The new paper, by contrast, describes “2.5d” portraits that track 24 vector points (see picture). And, according Dr Huang, the team has now built an enhanced version capable of generating complete 3d body reconstructions that track thousands of vector points. Moreover, this work employed standard antennas of the sort used in household Wi-Fi routers. Previous efforts have relied on souped-up versions of the equipment.

Detailed Wi-Fi-based body-tracking with a standard-issue router would have many uses. Mr Geng, Dr Huang and Dr De la Torre talk of employing it to “monitor the well-being of elder people”. A team working on similar technology, led by Yili Ren of Florida State University, suggests it could be used in interactive gaming and exercise monitoring. And, in 2016, Dina Katabi, Mingmin Zhao and Fadel Adib of the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology demonstrated how Wi-Fi-like radio signals could detect a volunteer’s heartbeat (and thus his or her emotional state) remotely.

These ideas are, however, distractions from what any such system would almost certainly be used for to start with, namely surveillance and espionage. In 2018, for example, Yanzi Zhu of the University of California, Santa Barbara and his colleagues showed how hackers posted outside someone’s home could track the movements (though not then visualise the postures) of people inside, by intercepting escaping Wi-Fi signals.

It is easy to imagine who might be interested in the ability to turn any building’s Wi-Fi network into a mini panopticon. Dr Huang declined to say who is sponsoring his team’s work. However, another of their projects—developing techniques for detecting specific human behaviours in video-surveillance footage—is paid for by iarpa, the research hub of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, which oversees America’s spies.

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2023/01/25/wi-fi-signals-could-prove-useful-for-spies??

In Breaking News, Light Can Be Used To Visualise Objects, In Real Time

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 09:58:52
From: ms spock
ID: 1992547
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Maidin an-mhaith daoibh go léir! (A very good morning to you all!)

LOL Tá mé go maith! (I am pretty good!)

I am doing my Gaelic homework in which I get drunk and sing in an Irish pub like Sarah’s mum (she’s my current homework muse)

Tá sé an-tais anseo inniu! (It is already very humid here today!)

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:02:30
From: Tamb
ID: 1992549
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Maidin an-mhaith daoibh go léir! (A very good morning to you all!)

LOL Tá mé go maith! (I am pretty good!)

I am doing my Gaelic homework in which I get drunk and sing in an Irish pub like Sarah’s mum (she’s my current homework muse)

Tá sé an-tais anseo inniu! (It is already very humid here today!)


McGinty’s Irish Bar in Cairns does a lot of Irish singing. It goes well with the draught Guinness.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:04:21
From: ms spock
ID: 1992551
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Maidin an-mhaith daoibh go léir! (A very good morning to you all!)

LOL Tá mé go maith! (I am pretty good!)

I am doing my Gaelic homework in which I get drunk and sing in an Irish pub like Sarah’s mum (she’s my current homework muse)

Tá sé an-tais anseo inniu! (It is already very humid here today!)


McGinty’s Irish Bar in Cairns does a lot of Irish singing. It goes well with the draught Guinness.

I am along way from Cairns Tamb! I also don’t drink Guiness but I will be there in spirit! Do they have Zoom access so you can sing along from home?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:11:04
From: Tamb
ID: 1992553
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

Maidin an-mhaith daoibh go léir! (A very good morning to you all!)

LOL Tá mé go maith! (I am pretty good!)

I am doing my Gaelic homework in which I get drunk and sing in an Irish pub like Sarah’s mum (she’s my current homework muse)

Tá sé an-tais anseo inniu! (It is already very humid here today!)


McGinty’s Irish Bar in Cairns does a lot of Irish singing. It goes well with the draught Guinness.

I am along way from Cairns Tamb! I also don’t drink Guiness but I will be there in spirit! Do they have Zoom access so you can sing along from home?


No zoom access. Quite a traditional pub. Not much more sophisticated than sawdust on the floor. I live about 160 km from Cairns so only call in when I’m in Cairns for chemo.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:14:07
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1992554
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:

Not much more sophisticated than sawdust on the floor.

Sawdust on the floor=sophistication?

Sawdust on the floor orginated from a need to have something to soak up slopped beer, vomit, and blood from fights.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:15:47
From: Tamb
ID: 1992555
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Tamb said:

Not much more sophisticated than sawdust on the floor.

Sawdust on the floor=sophistication?

Sawdust on the floor orginated from a need to have something to soak up slopped beer, vomit, and blood from fights.


The joke is that it’s not sawdust it’s last night furniture.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:29:53
From: ms spock
ID: 1992556
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

McGinty’s Irish Bar in Cairns does a lot of Irish singing. It goes well with the draught Guinness.

I am along way from Cairns Tamb! I also don’t drink Guiness but I will be there in spirit! Do they have Zoom access so you can sing along from home?


No zoom access. Quite a traditional pub. Not much more sophisticated than sawdust on the floor. I live about 160 km from Cairns so only call in when I’m in Cairns for chemo.

Fair enough!

That is quite the drive!

I hope your chemo is going okay.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:35:49
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992557
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning Pilgrims, a bit overcast and relatively cool in the Pearl this morning.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:35:57
From: Tamb
ID: 1992558
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

I am along way from Cairns Tamb! I also don’t drink Guiness but I will be there in spirit! Do they have Zoom access so you can sing along from home?


No zoom access. Quite a traditional pub. Not much more sophisticated than sawdust on the floor. I live about 160 km from Cairns so only call in when I’m in Cairns for chemo.

Fair enough!

That is quite the drive!

I hope your chemo is going okay.


Yes thank you. They have reduced it from 7 working days to 5 so I can drive down on Monday & drive back home on Friday.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:37:18
From: buffy
ID: 1992559
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/cyclist-dies-fatal-collision-illowa/101956288

This corner has killed before in the 40+ years we have been in the district. I thought it had been realigned with an offset. 7.15am…the sun would have been up (but only just, sunrise was about 7.10 this morning, and we had a heavy fog here inland. There may well have been an even heavier sea fog down there.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:42:14
From: buffy
ID: 1992562
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/friday-news-quiz/101952396

7/10. I had to use my ABCD guess method for 4 questions. It got the right answer 3 times this week. One of the ones I thought I knew (the COVID one) I was wrong on.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:43:08
From: ms spock
ID: 1992563
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Morning Pilgrims, a bit overcast and relatively cool in the Pearl this morning.

Duit duit PWM!

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:44:14
From: ms spock
ID: 1992564
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

No zoom access. Quite a traditional pub. Not much more sophisticated than sawdust on the floor. I live about 160 km from Cairns so only call in when I’m in Cairns for chemo.

Fair enough!

That is quite the drive!

I hope your chemo is going okay.


Yes thank you. They have reduced it from 7 working days to 5 so I can drive down on Monday & drive back home on Friday.

That sounds so arduous Tamb!

I am glad to read it is reduced from 7 days to 5 days but that is quite the treatment regime!

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:44:49
From: ms spock
ID: 1992565
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/cyclist-dies-fatal-collision-illowa/101956288

This corner has killed before in the 40+ years we have been in the district. I thought it had been realigned with an offset. 7.15am…the sun would have been up (but only just, sunrise was about 7.10 this morning, and we had a heavy fog here inland. There may well have been an even heavier sea fog down there.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:45:25
From: ms spock
ID: 1992566
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I have to return to my Gaeilge homework now!

Slan!

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:49:22
From: dv
ID: 1992568
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/friday-news-quiz/101952396

7/10. I had to use my ABCD guess method for 4 questions. It got the right answer 3 times this week. One of the ones I thought I knew (the COVID one) I was wrong on.

6/10 here

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:49:54
From: Tamb
ID: 1992569
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

Fair enough!

That is quite the drive!

I hope your chemo is going okay.


Yes thank you. They have reduced it from 7 working days to 5 so I can drive down on Monday & drive back home on Friday.

That sounds so arduous Tamb!

I am glad to read it is reduced from 7 days to 5 days but that is quite the treatment regime!


It’s bearable. The Azacitidine is administered subcutaneously not intravenously so I don’t feel too sick & I keep my hair.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:55:19
From: Tamb
ID: 1992571
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

I have to return to my Gaeilge homework now!

Slan!

Fanacht sábháilte

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:55:29
From: buffy
ID: 1992572
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Ooh! Chilly. But actually a good idea.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/swedish-kids-take-the-plunge-in-icy-lake-survival-lessons/101955092

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:57:04
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992573
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


buffy said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/friday-news-quiz/101952396

7/10. I had to use my ABCD guess method for 4 questions. It got the right answer 3 times this week. One of the ones I thought I knew (the COVID one) I was wrong on.

6/10 here

Seven.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 10:59:56
From: buffy
ID: 1992576
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

(I’m catching up on the news from overnight. Our Interwebs were fractious last night and we gave up around 8.30pm)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-09/dubbo-storm-no-power-emergecy-crews-responding/101954624

I see Orange copped it a bit too. I wonder if poik got wet/pummelled.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 11:00:47
From: Cymek
ID: 1992577
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Greetings

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 11:01:13
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992578
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Funny dog video. Excitement of the match is a bit too much for this fan.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1605535284405452805

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 11:02:43
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992579
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


(I’m catching up on the news from overnight. Our Interwebs were fractious last night and we gave up around 8.30pm)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-09/dubbo-storm-no-power-emergecy-crews-responding/101954624

I see Orange copped it a bit too. I wonder if poik got wet/pummelled.

I wonder if chemists have fridge stored items?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 11:05:26
From: Tamb
ID: 1992580
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


buffy said:

(I’m catching up on the news from overnight. Our Interwebs were fractious last night and we gave up around 8.30pm)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-09/dubbo-storm-no-power-emergecy-crews-responding/101954624

I see Orange copped it a bit too. I wonder if poik got wet/pummelled.

I wonder if chemists have fridge stored items?


Almost everyone here, shops included, have gensets.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 11:13:22
From: Michael V
ID: 1992581
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Morning Pilgrims, a bit overcast and relatively cool in the Pearl this morning.

Windy, partly cloudy, quite warm here.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 11:18:00
From: Michael V
ID: 1992582
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Funny dog video. Excitement of the match is a bit too much for this fan.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1605535284405452805

LOLOLOL

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 11:25:49
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992584
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

Funny dog video. Excitement of the match is a bit too much for this fan.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1605535284405452805

LOLOLOL

Hehe.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 11:28:14
From: Cymek
ID: 1992586
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

Funny dog video. Excitement of the match is a bit too much for this fan.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1605535284405452805

LOLOLOL

Hehe.

The animal excited videos and doing silly/cute/funny things are good for helping get rid of the blues.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 11:39:16
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992589
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Vale Burt Bacharach.
He had a good innings, 94.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 11:41:17
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992591
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Vale Burt Bacharach.
He had a good innings, 94.

I wonder if in years to come some Rap composer will be remembered so fondly for their fucking lyrics.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 11:45:17
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992592
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Funny dog video. Excitement of the match is a bit too much for this fan.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1605535284405452805

like.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 11:49:31
From: Tamb
ID: 1992593
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Funny dog video. Excitement of the match is a bit too much for this fan.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1605535284405452805

like.


https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=crufts+agility+funny&docid=603527348461249267&mid=D12CBD2B7399A04E5A18D12CBD2B7399A04E5A18&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 12:08:11
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1992595
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Vale Burt Bacharach.
He had a good innings, 94.

I wonder if in years to come some Rap composer will be remembered so fondly for their fucking lyrics.

Presumably they will be by people who like Rap with fucking lyrics.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 12:11:52
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992596
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Vale Burt Bacharach.
He had a good innings, 94.

I wonder if in years to come some Rap composer will be remembered so fondly for their fucking lyrics.

What do you get when you fall in love?
A guy with pin to burst your bubble.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 12:30:46
From: buffy
ID: 1992613
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Hmm…smelling smoke outside, and then seeing a haze…check with VicEmergency…planned burns about 20km away underway today.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 12:52:41
From: dv
ID: 1992620
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Back in Perf.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 12:59:25
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992622
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Back in Perf.

Ah, just what was needed, a nice relaxing moment.

One could imagine just floating on a boat.

Do away with anger at the world.

Become one with the universe again.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:06:13
From: dv
ID: 1992625
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A grebe has built a nest on the head of the fountain. Someone’s going to get a rude shock when that gets switched on.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:06:27
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992626
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Back in Perf.

lovely

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:13:27
From: Tamb
ID: 1992628
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


dv said:

Back in Perf.

lovely


The Millstream in my backyard is a tad more turbulent:

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:19:25
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992630
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

dv said:

Back in Perf.

lovely


The Millstream in my backyard is a tad more turbulent:

The pump, how is the pump?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:20:17
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992631
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

To hell with it, I’m going to have another cup of tea.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:22:52
From: Tamb
ID: 1992632
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tamb said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

lovely


The Millstream in my backyard is a tad more turbulent:

The pump, how is the pump?


I’ve given up on the pump & bought a 42400 litre rainwater tank. That plus the other three tanks gives me ample water storage.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:24:31
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992633
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tamb said:

The Millstream in my backyard is a tad more turbulent:

The pump, how is the pump?


I’ve given up on the pump & bought a 42400 litre rainwater tank. That plus the other three tanks gives me ample water storage.

I canna find a Millstream river, can find a Millstream Falls though.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:28:09
From: Tamb
ID: 1992634
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tamb said:

Peak Warming Man said:

The pump, how is the pump?


I’ve given up on the pump & bought a 42400 litre rainwater tank. That plus the other three tanks gives me ample water storage.

I canna find a Millstream river, can find a Millstream Falls though.


It i the Millstream (nothing about rivers)
If you find the two Millstream falls. (big & little)I live between them.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:28:18
From: buffy
ID: 1992635
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Funny dog video. Excitement of the match is a bit too much for this fan.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1605535284405452805

like.


https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=crufts+agility+funny&docid=603527348461249267&mid=D12CBD2B7399A04E5A18D12CBD2B7399A04E5A18&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Thanks Tamb….I haven’t watched any Crufts dog dancing for ages. I may be quite some time.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:29:37
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1992637
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


To hell with it, I’m going to have another cup of tea.

I envy you.

You live a life of unending excitement.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:30:32
From: dv
ID: 1992638
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

You know, even though Australia is the driest non-polar continent, there’s nowhere in it that is all that dry. Like even in the dead heart of solid Hot Desert, you see plants growing on the side of a dune. Swainson-peas and such.

How the fuck are you going to make an existence on the side of a dune? It is literally a moving wave of sand. Breed fast my friends.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:30:37
From: Tamb
ID: 1992639
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Tamb said:

sarahs mum said:

like.


https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=crufts+agility+funny&docid=603527348461249267&mid=D12CBD2B7399A04E5A18D12CBD2B7399A04E5A18&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Thanks Tamb….I haven’t watched any Crufts dog dancing for ages. I may be quite some time.

:)


Mz Tamb & I used to go every two years.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:33:21
From: Cymek
ID: 1992640
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/perth-man-arrested-for-allegedly-having-two-wives-bigamy-case/101957646

Perth man charged with bigamy over allegations he had too many wives, faces jail time

Her indoors and her outdoors

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:34:45
From: transition
ID: 1992642
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


To hell with it, I’m going to have another cup of tea.

that’s the spirit, defiantly hydrating

we has same, the lady and I, properly Englished I speakied it

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:36:01
From: Tamb
ID: 1992643
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/perth-man-arrested-for-allegedly-having-two-wives-bigamy-case/101957646

Perth man charged with bigamy over allegations he had too many wives, faces jail time

Her indoors and her outdoors

In Australia are Muslims permitted to haver more than one wife?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:36:59
From: Tamb
ID: 1992644
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Cymek said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/perth-man-arrested-for-allegedly-having-two-wives-bigamy-case/101957646

Perth man charged with bigamy over allegations he had too many wives, faces jail time

Her indoors and her outdoors

In Australia are Muslims permitted to haver more than one wife?


haver = have

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:37:09
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992645
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Peak Warming Man said:

To hell with it, I’m going to have another cup of tea.

I envy you.

You live a life of unending excitement.

Aye it’s a fortunate life but sometimes…………….sometimes I wish I were a lumberjack.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:37:42
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992646
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


You know, even though Australia is the driest non-polar continent, there’s nowhere in it that is all that dry. Like even in the dead heart of solid Hot Desert, you see plants growing on the side of a dune. Swainson-peas and such.

How the fuck are you going to make an existence on the side of a dune? It is literally a moving wave of sand. Breed fast my friends.


That fly in the ointment.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:39:41
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992647
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tamb said:

I’ve given up on the pump & bought a 42400 litre rainwater tank. That plus the other three tanks gives me ample water storage.

I canna find a Millstream river, can find a Millstream Falls though.


It i the Millstream (nothing about rivers)
If you find the two Millstream falls. (big & little)I live between them.

Ta.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:40:19
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1992648
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Back in Perf.

Were you gallivanting this past week?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:40:20
From: dv
ID: 1992649
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


dv said:

You know, even though Australia is the driest non-polar continent, there’s nowhere in it that is all that dry. Like even in the dead heart of solid Hot Desert, you see plants growing on the side of a dune. Swainson-peas and such.

How the fuck are you going to make an existence on the side of a dune? It is literally a moving wave of sand. Breed fast my friends.


That fly in the ointment.

heh

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:40:33
From: dv
ID: 1992651
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Tamb said:

Cymek said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/perth-man-arrested-for-allegedly-having-two-wives-bigamy-case/101957646

Perth man charged with bigamy over allegations he had too many wives, faces jail time

Her indoors and her outdoors

In Australia are Muslims permitted to haver more than one wife?


haver = have

When I haver, you know I’m gonna be

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:40:55
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992652
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Cymek said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/perth-man-arrested-for-allegedly-having-two-wives-bigamy-case/101957646

Perth man charged with bigamy over allegations he had too many wives, faces jail time

Her indoors and her outdoors

In Australia are Muslims permitted to haver more than one wife?

Australian law recognises both marriages and de facto relationships. While bigamy is a criminal offence (under section 94 of the Marriage Act 1961), it is not an offence to have multiple simultaneous de facto relationships.

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/FlagPost/2016/December/Polygamy_and_welfare

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:41:33
From: dv
ID: 1992653
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


dv said:

Back in Perf.

Were you gallivanting this past week?


gallivant
/ˈɡalɪvant/

verb
gerund or present participle: gallivanting
go around from one place to another in the pursuit of pleasure or entertainment.

No

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:41:55
From: Tamb
ID: 1992654
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Tamb said:

Tamb said:

In Australia are Muslims permitted to haver more than one wife?


haver = have

When I haver, you know I’m gonna be


Haver: talk foolishly; babble.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:42:11
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992655
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Tamb said:

Cymek said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/perth-man-arrested-for-allegedly-having-two-wives-bigamy-case/101957646

Perth man charged with bigamy over allegations he had too many wives, faces jail time

Her indoors and her outdoors

In Australia are Muslims permitted to haver more than one wife?

Australian law recognises both marriages and de facto relationships. While bigamy is a criminal offence (under section 94 of the Marriage Act 1961), it is not an offence to have multiple simultaneous de facto relationships.

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/FlagPost/2016/December/Polygamy_and_welfare

Roger.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:42:35
From: buffy
ID: 1992656
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


captain_spalding said:

Peak Warming Man said:

To hell with it, I’m going to have another cup of tea.

I envy you.

You live a life of unending excitement.

Aye it’s a fortunate life but sometimes…………….sometimes I wish I were a lumberjack.

My one of these arrived today. I’ve just done the (minimal) putting together (putting on the twiddly thing to hold the top bar in place and a couple of nuts/washers/bolts on the struts). It didn’t come with a log, but we’ve got our own.

Mr buffy wants to try it out, but it’s waaaay too hot out there to do that at the moment.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:42:36
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1992657
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Cymek said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/perth-man-arrested-for-allegedly-having-two-wives-bigamy-case/101957646

Perth man charged with bigamy over allegations he had too many wives, faces jail time

Her indoors and her outdoors

In Australia are Muslims permitted to haver more than one wife?

To ‘haver’ is ‘to hem and haw’.

I would say that, yes, they can haver more than one wife, but should expect to have to explain to various husbands and wives why they were hemming and hawing at ladies.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:43:38
From: Tamb
ID: 1992659
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Tamb said:

Cymek said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/perth-man-arrested-for-allegedly-having-two-wives-bigamy-case/101957646

Perth man charged with bigamy over allegations he had too many wives, faces jail time

Her indoors and her outdoors

In Australia are Muslims permitted to haver more than one wife?

Australian law recognises both marriages and de facto relationships. While bigamy is a criminal offence (under section 94 of the Marriage Act 1961), it is not an offence to have multiple simultaneous de facto relationships.

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/FlagPost/2016/December/Polygamy_and_welfare


Ta.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:44:27
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1992660
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Cymek said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/perth-man-arrested-for-allegedly-having-two-wives-bigamy-case/101957646

Perth man charged with bigamy over allegations he had too many wives, faces jail time

Her indoors and her outdoors

In Australia are Muslims permitted to haver more than one wife?

Only the first is official.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:45:47
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1992661
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

dv said:

Back in Perf.

Were you gallivanting this past week?


gallivant
/ˈɡalɪvant/

verb
gerund or present participle: gallivanting
go around from one place to another in the pursuit of pleasure or entertainment.

No

In Oz or overseas?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:45:50
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1992662
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

captain_spalding said:

I envy you.

You live a life of unending excitement.

Aye it’s a fortunate life but sometimes…………….sometimes I wish I were a lumberjack.

My one of these arrived today. I’ve just done the (minimal) putting together (putting on the twiddly thing to hold the top bar in place and a couple of nuts/washers/bolts on the struts). It didn’t come with a log, but we’ve got our own.

Mr buffy wants to try it out, but it’s waaaay too hot out there to do that at the moment.

I just make something akin to this:

out of timber from a loading pallet or two.

When it gets too beat up, i just take the bolts out of it, use them in a new one, and burn the old one.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:46:06
From: Tamb
ID: 1992664
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Tamb said:

Cymek said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/perth-man-arrested-for-allegedly-having-two-wives-bigamy-case/101957646

Perth man charged with bigamy over allegations he had too many wives, faces jail time

Her indoors and her outdoors

In Australia are Muslims permitted to haver more than one wife?

To ‘haver’ is ‘to hem and haw’.

I would say that, yes, they can haver more than one wife, but should expect to have to explain to various husbands and wives why they were hemming and hawing at ladies.


Obviously hawing not whoring.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:46:16
From: dv
ID: 1992665
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Tamb said:

Cymek said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/perth-man-arrested-for-allegedly-having-two-wives-bigamy-case/101957646

Perth man charged with bigamy over allegations he had too many wives, faces jail time

Her indoors and her outdoors

In Australia are Muslims permitted to haver more than one wife?

To ‘haver’ is ‘to hem and haw’.

I would say that, yes, they can haver more than one wife, but should expect to have to explain to various husbands and wives why they were hemming and hawing at ladies.

hem: “turn under and sew the edge of (a piece of cloth)”

haw: “(of an animal) To turn towards the driver, typically to the left”

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:46:43
From: dv
ID: 1992666
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


dv said:

Witty Rejoinder said:


gallivant
/ˈɡalɪvant/

verb
gerund or present participle: gallivanting
go around from one place to another in the pursuit of pleasure or entertainment.

No

In Oz or overseas?

Oz

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:49:51
From: buffy
ID: 1992667
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


buffy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Aye it’s a fortunate life but sometimes…………….sometimes I wish I were a lumberjack.

My one of these arrived today. I’ve just done the (minimal) putting together (putting on the twiddly thing to hold the top bar in place and a couple of nuts/washers/bolts on the struts). It didn’t come with a log, but we’ve got our own.

Mr buffy wants to try it out, but it’s waaaay too hot out there to do that at the moment.

I just make something akin to this:

out of timber from a loading pallet or two.

When it gets too beat up, i just take the bolts out of it, use them in a new one, and burn the old one.

We aren’t that clever around here.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:52:53
From: Arts
ID: 1992668
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

captain_spalding said:

I envy you.

You live a life of unending excitement.

Aye it’s a fortunate life but sometimes…………….sometimes I wish I were a lumberjack.

My one of these arrived today. I’ve just done the (minimal) putting together (putting on the twiddly thing to hold the top bar in place and a couple of nuts/washers/bolts on the struts). It didn’t come with a log, but we’ve got our own.

Mr buffy wants to try it out, but it’s waaaay too hot out there to do that at the moment.

I have no idea what that is…

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:53:43
From: buffy
ID: 1992669
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/perth-man-arrested-for-allegedly-having-two-wives-bigamy-case/101957646

So the wives ganged up on him.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:53:44
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992670
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


captain_spalding said:

buffy said:

My one of these arrived today. I’ve just done the (minimal) putting together (putting on the twiddly thing to hold the top bar in place and a couple of nuts/washers/bolts on the struts). It didn’t come with a log, but we’ve got our own.

Mr buffy wants to try it out, but it’s waaaay too hot out there to do that at the moment.

I just make something akin to this:

out of timber from a loading pallet or two.

When it gets too beat up, i just take the bolts out of it, use them in a new one, and burn the old one.

We aren’t that clever around here.

An old fashioned sawhorse?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:54:32
From: transition
ID: 1992671
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


buffy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Aye it’s a fortunate life but sometimes…………….sometimes I wish I were a lumberjack.

My one of these arrived today. I’ve just done the (minimal) putting together (putting on the twiddly thing to hold the top bar in place and a couple of nuts/washers/bolts on the struts). It didn’t come with a log, but we’ve got our own.

Mr buffy wants to try it out, but it’s waaaay too hot out there to do that at the moment.

I have no idea what that is…

possibly for chainsawing logs to suitable length to fit in the dephlogisticator

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:54:40
From: buffy
ID: 1992672
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


buffy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Aye it’s a fortunate life but sometimes…………….sometimes I wish I were a lumberjack.

My one of these arrived today. I’ve just done the (minimal) putting together (putting on the twiddly thing to hold the top bar in place and a couple of nuts/washers/bolts on the struts). It didn’t come with a log, but we’ve got our own.

Mr buffy wants to try it out, but it’s waaaay too hot out there to do that at the moment.

I have no idea what that is…

It holds the firewood log steady so it can be docked (chainsawed) to the appropriate length before splitting. At present I am the log holder. But I won’t hold close to the chainsaw.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:55:20
From: buffy
ID: 1992673
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


buffy said:

captain_spalding said:

I just make something akin to this:

out of timber from a loading pallet or two.

When it gets too beat up, i just take the bolts out of it, use them in a new one, and burn the old one.

We aren’t that clever around here.

An old fashioned sawhorse?

That is what we are using at the moment, but “someone” has to hold the end of the log…

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:56:35
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1992674
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:

But I won’t hold close to the chainsaw.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:57:33
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992675
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Arts said:

buffy said:

My one of these arrived today. I’ve just done the (minimal) putting together (putting on the twiddly thing to hold the top bar in place and a couple of nuts/washers/bolts on the struts). It didn’t come with a log, but we’ve got our own.

Mr buffy wants to try it out, but it’s waaaay too hot out there to do that at the moment.

I have no idea what that is…

possibly for chainsawing logs to suitable length to fit in the dephlogisticator

LOL, took my breath away.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:58:33
From: buffy
ID: 1992676
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I bought one of these cantilever some years ago, and it’s good, but only for reasonably skinny logs. I think it’s originally a Scandinavian design and is probably excellent for their nice straight, lightweight logs. We’ve got cantankerous eucalyptus logs. And the current ones which we’ve been cutting and splitting are very hard wood. The chainsaw needs sharpening quite a lot.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:58:36
From: dv
ID: 1992677
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


transition said:

Arts said:

I have no idea what that is…

possibly for chainsawing logs to suitable length to fit in the dephlogisticator

LOL, took my breath away.

heh

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:59:26
From: Tamb
ID: 1992679
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

We aren’t that clever around here.

An old fashioned sawhorse?

That is what we are using at the moment, but “someone” has to hold the end of the log…


I have one a bit similar but the log is held on place by an old seatbelt attached to the frame on one end and a heavy weight on the other.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 13:59:29
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1992680
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

We aren’t that clever around here.

An old fashioned sawhorse?

That is what we are using at the moment, but “someone” has to hold the end of the log…

I have about 1 metre of moderately heavy chain bolted to the front of the sawhorse. It has two housebricks at the end of it.

I put the log on the sawhorse, and if the log needs ‘holding’, i simply drape the chain over the end of the log, away from the chain saw.

Keeps it from rolling under the chain’s movement, and holds down the end of the log which would otherwise tend to rise up.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 14:00:18
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1992681
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


buffy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

An old fashioned sawhorse?

That is what we are using at the moment, but “someone” has to hold the end of the log…


I have one a bit similar but the log is held on place by an old seatbelt attached to the frame on one end and a heavy weight on the other.

Great minds think alike.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 14:02:22
From: Arts
ID: 1992683
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Arts said:

buffy said:

My one of these arrived today. I’ve just done the (minimal) putting together (putting on the twiddly thing to hold the top bar in place and a couple of nuts/washers/bolts on the struts). It didn’t come with a log, but we’ve got our own.

Mr buffy wants to try it out, but it’s waaaay too hot out there to do that at the moment.

I have no idea what that is…

It holds the firewood log steady so it can be docked (chainsawed) to the appropriate length before splitting. At present I am the log holder. But I won’t hold close to the chainsaw.

ah a chain saw.. I was trying to managing how this would make chopping wood easier, but I couldn’t.. it makes much more sense if you switch the axe out for a chainsaw…

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 14:04:17
From: Arts
ID: 1992684
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


buffy said:

Arts said:

I have no idea what that is…

It holds the firewood log steady so it can be docked (chainsawed) to the appropriate length before splitting. At present I am the log holder. But I won’t hold close to the chainsaw.

ah a chain saw.. I was trying to managing how this would make chopping wood easier, but I couldn’t.. it makes much more sense if you switch the axe out for a chainsaw…

*imagine

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 14:22:17
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1992690
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A decades-old model of animal (and human) learning is under fire
The result might be better AI

Jan 18th 2023

The buzz of a notification or the ding of an email might inspire excitement—or dread. In a famous experiment, Ivan Pavlov (pictured) showed that dogs can be taught to salivate at the tick of a metronome or the sound of a harmonium. This connection of cause to effect—known as associative, or reinforcement learning—is central to how most animals deal with the world.

Since the early 1970s the dominant theory of what is going on has been that animals learn by trial and error. Associating a cue (a metronome) with a reward (food) happens as follows. When a cue comes, the animal predicts when the reward will occur. Then, it waits to see what arrives. After that, it computes the difference between prediction and result—the error. Finally, it uses that error estimate to update things to make better predictions in future.

Belief in this approach was itself reinforced in the late 20th century by two things. One of these was the discovery that it is also good at solving engineering problems related to artificial intelligence (ai). Deep neural networks learn by minimising the error in their predictions.

The other reinforcing observation was a paper published in Science in 1997. It noted that fluctuations in levels in the brain of dopamine, a chemical which carries signals between some nerve cells and was known to be associated with the experience of reward, looked like prediction-error signals. Dopamine-generating cells are more active when the reward comes sooner than expected or is not expected at all, and are inhibited when the reward comes later or not at all—precisely what would happen if they were indeed such signals.

A nice story, then, of how science works. But if a new paper, also published in Science, turns out to be correct, it is wrong.

Researchers have known for a while that some aspects of dopamine activity are inconsistent with the prediction-error model. But, in part because it works so well for training artificial agents, these problems have been swept under the carpet. Until now. The new study, by Huijeong Jeong and Vijay Namboodiri of the University of California, San Francisco, and a team of collaborators, has turned the world of neuroscience on its head. It proposes a model of associative learning which suggests that researchers have got things backwards. Their suggestion, moreover, is supported by an array of experiments.

The old model looks forward, associating cause with effect. The new one does the opposite. It associates effect with cause. They think that when an animal receives a reward (or punishment), it looks back through its memory to work out what might have prompted this event. Dopamine’s role in the model is to flag events meaningful enough to act as causes for possible future rewards or punishments.

Looking at things this way deals with two things that have always bugged the old model. One is sensitivity to timescale. The other is computational tractability.

The timescale problem is that cause and effect may be separated by milliseconds (switching on a light bulb and experiencing illumination), minutes (having a drink and feeling tipsy) or even hours (eating something bad and getting food poisoning). Looking backward, Dr Namboodiri explains, permits investigation of an arbitrarily long list of possible causes. Looking forward, without always knowing in advance how far to look, is much trickier.

This leads to the second problem. Sensory experience is rich, and everything therein could potentially predict an outcome. Making predictions based on every single possible cue would be somewhere between difficult and impossible. It is far simpler, when a meaningful event happens, to look backwards through other potentially meaningful events for a cause.

In practice, however, it is hard to distinguish experimentally between the two models. And that is especially true if you do not even bother to look—which, until now, people have not. Dr Jeong and Dr Namboodiri have done so. They devised and conducted 11 experiments involving mice, buzzers and drops of sugar solution that were designed specifically for the purpose. During these they measured, in real time, the amount of dopamine being released by the nucleus accumbens, a region of the brain in which dopamine is implicated in learning and addiction. All of the experiments came down in favour of the new model.

The 180° turnabout in thinking—from prospective to retrospective—that is implied by these experiments is causing quite a stir in the world of neuroscience. It is “thought-provoking and represents a stimulating new direction,” says Ilana Witten, a neuroscientist at Princeton University uninvolved with the paper.

More experiments will be needed to confirm the new findings. But if confirmation comes, it will have ramifications beyond neuroscience. It will suggest that the way ai works does not, as currently argued, have even a tenuous link with how brains operate, but was actually a lucky guess.

But it might also suggest better ways of doing ai. Dr Namboodiri thinks so, and is exploring the possibilities. Evolution has had hundreds of millions of years to optimise the process of learning. So learning from nature is rarely a bad idea.

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2023/01/18/a-decades-old-model-of-animal-and-human-learning-is-under-fire?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 14:39:51
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992692
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Arts said:

buffy said:

My one of these arrived today. I’ve just done the (minimal) putting together (putting on the twiddly thing to hold the top bar in place and a couple of nuts/washers/bolts on the struts). It didn’t come with a log, but we’ve got our own.

Mr buffy wants to try it out, but it’s waaaay too hot out there to do that at the moment.

I have no idea what that is…

It holds the firewood log steady so it can be docked (chainsawed) to the appropriate length before splitting. At present I am the log holder. But I won’t hold close to the chainsaw.

You definitely do not want to bump that with a running chainsaw. I’ve watched it happen and I know it can have very serious consequences.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 14:41:08
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992693
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


buffy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

An old fashioned sawhorse?

That is what we are using at the moment, but “someone” has to hold the end of the log…


I have one a bit similar but the log is held on place by an old seatbelt attached to the frame on one end and a heavy weight on the other.

+1

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 14:47:20
From: Cymek
ID: 1992695
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munster_Technological_University_ransomware_attack

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 14:59:23
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992697
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Scientists Discover Molten Layer of Rock Beneath Earth’s Crust

This is what happens when radioactive cores melt through the floor of the nuclear reactor when they cannot maintain stability.

Now its melted the Earth underneath the crust.

Do they know how long its going to take to fix it?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 15:08:20
From: Michael V
ID: 1992705
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Back in Perf.

Nice. Wears ya bin?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 15:09:04
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992706
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Scientists Discover Molten Layer of Rock Beneath Earth’s Crust

This is what happens when radioactive cores melt through the floor of the nuclear reactor when they cannot maintain stability.

Now its melted the Earth underneath the crust.

Do they know how long its going to take to fix it?

Who’s going to pay for it?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 15:10:28
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992708
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Scientists Discover Molten Layer of Rock Beneath Earth’s Crust

This is what happens when radioactive cores melt through the floor of the nuclear reactor when they cannot maintain stability.

Now its melted the Earth underneath the crust.

Do they know how long its going to take to fix it?

Who’s going to pay for it?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 15:13:00
From: Michael V
ID: 1992710
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

dv said:

Back in Perf.

lovely


The Millstream in my backyard is a tad more turbulent:

Amazing. I take it you have now had a goodly spot of rain.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 15:16:33
From: Tamb
ID: 1992711
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Tamb said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

lovely


The Millstream in my backyard is a tad more turbulent:

Amazing. I take it you have now had a goodly spot of rain.


So far this year we have had 6 days without rain. About 500mm so far.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 15:26:09
From: dv
ID: 1992717
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Scientists Discover Molten Layer of Rock Beneath Earth’s Crust

This is what happens when radioactive cores melt through the floor of the nuclear reactor when they cannot maintain stability.

Now its melted the Earth underneath the crust.

Do they know how long its going to take to fix it?

Who’s going to pay for it?

I assume you’re kidding.

In any case, here’s the article, which is about partial melting in the asthenosphere, something already well documented, being more widespread than previously thought.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-022-01116-9

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 15:28:02
From: Michael V
ID: 1992718
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

captain_spalding said:

I envy you.

You live a life of unending excitement.

Aye it’s a fortunate life but sometimes…………….sometimes I wish I were a lumberjack.

My one of these arrived today. I’ve just done the (minimal) putting together (putting on the twiddly thing to hold the top bar in place and a couple of nuts/washers/bolts on the struts). It didn’t come with a log, but we’ve got our own.

Mr buffy wants to try it out, but it’s waaaay too hot out there to do that at the moment.

FORESTWEST Log Stand Chainsaw Stand B BM11536B. Nice.

Years ago I made something completely different to do the same job, out of used timber (4×2 and floor boards).

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 15:30:51
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992720
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Scientists Discover Molten Layer of Rock Beneath Earth’s Crust

This is what happens when radioactive cores melt through the floor of the nuclear reactor when they cannot maintain stability.

Now its melted the Earth underneath the crust.

Do they know how long its going to take to fix it?

Who’s going to pay for it?

I assume you’re kidding.

In any case, here’s the article, which is about partial melting in the asthenosphere, something already well documented, being more widespread than previously thought.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-022-01116-9

Yes just kidding having fun with the heading.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 15:33:31
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992723
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


dv said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Who’s going to pay for it?

I assume you’re kidding.

In any case, here’s the article, which is about partial melting in the asthenosphere, something already well documented, being more widespread than previously thought.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-022-01116-9

Yes just kidding having fun with the heading.

They made it sound like molten rock had not been previously discovered.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 15:39:36
From: Michael V
ID: 1992724
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


buffy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Aye it’s a fortunate life but sometimes…………….sometimes I wish I were a lumberjack.

My one of these arrived today. I’ve just done the (minimal) putting together (putting on the twiddly thing to hold the top bar in place and a couple of nuts/washers/bolts on the struts). It didn’t come with a log, but we’ve got our own.

Mr buffy wants to try it out, but it’s waaaay too hot out there to do that at the moment.

I just make something akin to this:

out of timber from a loading pallet or two.

When it gets too beat up, i just take the bolts out of it, use them in a new one, and burn the old one.

Did you pinch my design?

(Actually not quite the same, but really, really similar.)

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 15:43:51
From: Michael V
ID: 1992725
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


buffy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

An old fashioned sawhorse?

That is what we are using at the moment, but “someone” has to hold the end of the log…

I have about 1 metre of moderately heavy chain bolted to the front of the sawhorse. It has two housebricks at the end of it.

I put the log on the sawhorse, and if the log needs ‘holding’, i simply drape the chain over the end of the log, away from the chain saw.

Keeps it from rolling under the chain’s movement, and holds down the end of the log which would otherwise tend to rise up.

Nice one.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 15:48:56
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992728
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


captain_spalding said:

buffy said:

My one of these arrived today. I’ve just done the (minimal) putting together (putting on the twiddly thing to hold the top bar in place and a couple of nuts/washers/bolts on the struts). It didn’t come with a log, but we’ve got our own.

Mr buffy wants to try it out, but it’s waaaay too hot out there to do that at the moment.

I just make something akin to this:

out of timber from a loading pallet or two.

When it gets too beat up, i just take the bolts out of it, use them in a new one, and burn the old one.

Did you pinch my design?

(Actually not quite the same, but really, really similar.)

I think the bottom design would be safer to use.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 15:50:16
From: Michael V
ID: 1992730
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


A decades-old model of animal (and human) learning is under fire
The result might be better AI

Jan 18th 2023

The buzz of a notification or the ding of an email might inspire excitement—or dread. In a famous experiment, Ivan Pavlov (pictured) showed that dogs can be taught to salivate at the tick of a metronome or the sound of a harmonium. This connection of cause to effect—known as associative, or reinforcement learning—is central to how most animals deal with the world.

Since the early 1970s the dominant theory of what is going on has been that animals learn by trial and error. Associating a cue (a metronome) with a reward (food) happens as follows. When a cue comes, the animal predicts when the reward will occur. Then, it waits to see what arrives. After that, it computes the difference between prediction and result—the error. Finally, it uses that error estimate to update things to make better predictions in future.

Belief in this approach was itself reinforced in the late 20th century by two things. One of these was the discovery that it is also good at solving engineering problems related to artificial intelligence (ai). Deep neural networks learn by minimising the error in their predictions.

The other reinforcing observation was a paper published in Science in 1997. It noted that fluctuations in levels in the brain of dopamine, a chemical which carries signals between some nerve cells and was known to be associated with the experience of reward, looked like prediction-error signals. Dopamine-generating cells are more active when the reward comes sooner than expected or is not expected at all, and are inhibited when the reward comes later or not at all—precisely what would happen if they were indeed such signals.

A nice story, then, of how science works. But if a new paper, also published in Science, turns out to be correct, it is wrong.

Researchers have known for a while that some aspects of dopamine activity are inconsistent with the prediction-error model. But, in part because it works so well for training artificial agents, these problems have been swept under the carpet. Until now. The new study, by Huijeong Jeong and Vijay Namboodiri of the University of California, San Francisco, and a team of collaborators, has turned the world of neuroscience on its head. It proposes a model of associative learning which suggests that researchers have got things backwards. Their suggestion, moreover, is supported by an array of experiments.

The old model looks forward, associating cause with effect. The new one does the opposite. It associates effect with cause. They think that when an animal receives a reward (or punishment), it looks back through its memory to work out what might have prompted this event. Dopamine’s role in the model is to flag events meaningful enough to act as causes for possible future rewards or punishments.

Looking at things this way deals with two things that have always bugged the old model. One is sensitivity to timescale. The other is computational tractability.

The timescale problem is that cause and effect may be separated by milliseconds (switching on a light bulb and experiencing illumination), minutes (having a drink and feeling tipsy) or even hours (eating something bad and getting food poisoning). Looking backward, Dr Namboodiri explains, permits investigation of an arbitrarily long list of possible causes. Looking forward, without always knowing in advance how far to look, is much trickier.

This leads to the second problem. Sensory experience is rich, and everything therein could potentially predict an outcome. Making predictions based on every single possible cue would be somewhere between difficult and impossible. It is far simpler, when a meaningful event happens, to look backwards through other potentially meaningful events for a cause.

In practice, however, it is hard to distinguish experimentally between the two models. And that is especially true if you do not even bother to look—which, until now, people have not. Dr Jeong and Dr Namboodiri have done so. They devised and conducted 11 experiments involving mice, buzzers and drops of sugar solution that were designed specifically for the purpose. During these they measured, in real time, the amount of dopamine being released by the nucleus accumbens, a region of the brain in which dopamine is implicated in learning and addiction. All of the experiments came down in favour of the new model.

The 180° turnabout in thinking—from prospective to retrospective—that is implied by these experiments is causing quite a stir in the world of neuroscience. It is “thought-provoking and represents a stimulating new direction,” says Ilana Witten, a neuroscientist at Princeton University uninvolved with the paper.

More experiments will be needed to confirm the new findings. But if confirmation comes, it will have ramifications beyond neuroscience. It will suggest that the way ai works does not, as currently argued, have even a tenuous link with how brains operate, but was actually a lucky guess.

But it might also suggest better ways of doing ai. Dr Namboodiri thinks so, and is exploring the possibilities. Evolution has had hundreds of millions of years to optimise the process of learning. So learning from nature is rarely a bad idea.

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2023/01/18/a-decades-old-model-of-animal-and-human-learning-is-under-fire?

Very, very interesting, thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 15:56:16
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1992732
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Michael V said:

captain_spalding said:

I just make something akin to this:

out of timber from a loading pallet or two.

When it gets too beat up, i just take the bolts out of it, use them in a new one, and burn the old one.

Did you pinch my design?

(Actually not quite the same, but really, really similar.)

I think the bottom design would be safer to use.

Think you might need a bit of muscle power to position the logs with the top one.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 15:59:06
From: buffy
ID: 1992733
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Michael V said:

Did you pinch my design?

(Actually not quite the same, but really, really similar.)

I think the bottom design would be safer to use.

Think you might need a bit of muscle power to position the logs with the top one.

Either way you have to lift the logs on and move them along. I prefer something other than me holding down the flailing end as the chainsaw pushes down.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 16:04:47
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1992734
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


PermeateFree said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

I think the bottom design would be safer to use.

Think you might need a bit of muscle power to position the logs with the top one.

Either way you have to lift the logs on and move them along. I prefer something other than me holding down the flailing end as the chainsaw pushes down.

Position the log centrally on the cutting horse. Saw off size required from each end to keep it balanced, then saw to size between the three supports. Only a single placement of the log.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 16:13:17
From: Tamb
ID: 1992740
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


buffy said:

PermeateFree said:

Think you might need a bit of muscle power to position the logs with the top one.

Either way you have to lift the logs on and move them along. I prefer something other than me holding down the flailing end as the chainsaw pushes down.

Position the log centrally on the cutting horse. Saw off size required from each end to keep it balanced, then saw to size between the three supports. Only a single placement of the log.


I use a secondary flat stand to support the excess log length. It’s simple to slide the log along the required distance for the next cut.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 16:17:23
From: Michael V
ID: 1992742
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Scientists Discover Molten Layer of Rock Beneath Earth’s Crust

This is what happens when radioactive cores melt through the floor of the nuclear reactor when they cannot maintain stability.

Now its melted the Earth underneath the crust.

Do they know how long its going to take to fix it?

Partial melt – not molten. Paper title: “Asthenospheric low-velocity zone consistent with globally prevalent partial melting”

I’m no seismic geophysicist, but dv is. Perhaps he can comment on the original Nature Geoscience paper (which is referenced in the article you linked.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-022-01116-9.epdf?sharing_token=d6AA1GXX6L1IR_Dp-SDQz9RgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0MadI_Y92iXSiTL4ub7EGojIxIg2rhdlq6HGIDJnkTmw3Wuu5-vx4_kyoEiUnRQnvSJDGkOZeHL0CutM2Ed9hJ2lftMmD3Bxm4HsNQI4se5gGRZWYf6BqIAn0idnyoy24JDDw2h7Pe0SP7CyGenAryGC6_1FGl8h0W-PnJTu8SxWTnpQNfPq3eKWbHR1rSPSqE%3D&tracking_referrer=www.gizmodo.com.au

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 16:20:58
From: Michael V
ID: 1992745
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Michael V said:

Tamb said:

The Millstream in my backyard is a tad more turbulent:

Amazing. I take it you have now had a goodly spot of rain.


So far this year we have had 6 days without rain. About 500mm so far.

A proper wet, then.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 16:24:25
From: Tamb
ID: 1992747
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Tamb said:

Michael V said:

Amazing. I take it you have now had a goodly spot of rain.


So far this year we have had 6 days without rain. About 500mm so far.

A proper wet, then.


The rapids are getting really noisy. TV with the cordless earphones tonight.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 16:28:49
From: Michael V
ID: 1992749
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


buffy said:

PermeateFree said:

Think you might need a bit of muscle power to position the logs with the top one.

Either way you have to lift the logs on and move them along. I prefer something other than me holding down the flailing end as the chainsaw pushes down.

Position the log centrally on the cutting horse. Saw off size required from each end to keep it balanced, then saw to size between the three supports. Only a single placement of the log.

Amazing how many solutions to the same problem. My log-holder had just two set of “X” legs and had floor boards inside the upper part of the X. Distance between the legs was shorter than the longest length taken by our fires. Log-holder’s hands were never anywhere near the chainsaw.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 16:32:30
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1992750
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


PermeateFree said:

buffy said:

Either way you have to lift the logs on and move them along. I prefer something other than me holding down the flailing end as the chainsaw pushes down.

Position the log centrally on the cutting horse. Saw off size required from each end to keep it balanced, then saw to size between the three supports. Only a single placement of the log.

Amazing how many solutions to the same problem. My log-holder had just two set of “X” legs and had floor boards inside the upper part of the X. Distance between the legs was shorter than the longest length taken by our fires. Log-holder’s hands were never anywhere near the chainsaw.

eight star pickets. two rows of four. rows about 300mm apart. pickets about 400 or 500mm apart. stack logs between rows. use chainsaw between pickets.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 16:39:22
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1992752
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


PermeateFree said:

buffy said:

Either way you have to lift the logs on and move them along. I prefer something other than me holding down the flailing end as the chainsaw pushes down.

Position the log centrally on the cutting horse. Saw off size required from each end to keep it balanced, then saw to size between the three supports. Only a single placement of the log.

Amazing how many solutions to the same problem. My log-holder had just two set of “X” legs and had floor boards inside the upper part of the X. Distance between the legs was shorter than the longest length taken by our fires. Log-holder’s hands were never anywhere near the chainsaw.

I just had 4 metal fencing posts that were hammered into two V shapes where I could stack up to 20 logs, then just saw down through the lot. Great way for quick safe sawing, but too many large logs can slow things down and better to restrict under 6” dia..

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 16:50:43
From: Arts
ID: 1992754
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

there is apparently a protest planned int he city tomorrow… I wonder that that’s about

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 16:53:43
From: Arts
ID: 1992755
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

oh. Iranian activists plan to protest at Forrest Place in Perth,

support of Iranian anti-government protesters

one of my colleagues has been involved in these… she’s really mad at the treatment of women in her home country

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 16:53:46
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992756
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


there is apparently a protest planned int he city tomorrow… I wonder that that’s about

shakes fist

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 16:56:06
From: ms spock
ID: 1992757
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


dv said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Who’s going to pay for it?

I assume you’re kidding.

In any case, here’s the article, which is about partial melting in the asthenosphere, something already well documented, being more widespread than previously thought.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-022-01116-9

Yes just kidding having fun with the heading.

You both cracked me up!

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 16:56:43
From: Cymek
ID: 1992758
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


there is apparently a protest planned int he city tomorrow… I wonder that that’s about

This it seems

https://crisis24.garda.com/alerts/2023/02/australia-iranian-activists-plan-to-protest-at-forrest-place-in-perth-western-australia-1100-feb-11

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:06:48
From: ms spock
ID: 1992763
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Tamb said:

Michael V said:

Amazing. I take it you have now had a goodly spot of rain.


So far this year we have had 6 days without rain. About 500mm so far.

A proper wet, then.

***nods***

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:08:02
From: ms spock
ID: 1992764
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Michael V said:

Tamb said:

So far this year we have had 6 days without rain. About 500mm so far.

A proper wet, then.


The rapids are getting really noisy. TV with the cordless earphones tonight.

Naughty noisy water!

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:09:37
From: ms spock
ID: 1992766
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


oh. Iranian activists plan to protest at Forrest Place in Perth,

support of Iranian anti-government protesters

one of my colleagues has been involved in these… she’s really mad at the treatment of women in her home country

Ceart mar sin! Tá sé outrageous! (Rightly so! It’s outrageous!)

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:13:25
From: Tamb
ID: 1992768
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Michael V said:

Tamb said:

So far this year we have had 6 days without rain. About 500mm so far.

A proper wet, then.

***nods***


Rained all day today. Not heavy but non-stop.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:14:25
From: Tamb
ID: 1992770
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

Michael V said:

A proper wet, then.


The rapids are getting really noisy. TV with the cordless earphones tonight.

Naughty noisy water!


What sort of weather do you get?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:19:05
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992772
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

photo taken by Di yesterday at maatsuyker island.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:20:39
From: ms spock
ID: 1992774
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

The rapids are getting really noisy. TV with the cordless earphones tonight.

Naughty noisy water!


What sort of weather do you get?

Mostly it is a bit playful! Like it wants you to come outside and play! :)

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:22:55
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992775
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


photo taken by Di yesterday at maatsuyker island.

Kelvin- Helmholtz wave cloud

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:25:56
From: Tamb
ID: 1992776
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

Naughty noisy water!


What sort of weather do you get?

Mostly it is a bit playful! Like it wants you to come outside and play! :)


Nothing too extreme?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:26:58
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1992777
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

TTYL. Around 10 000 people died at the Battle of Waterloo yet only a few skeletons have ever been found. Appears that the locals dug up the mass graves and sold the bones to sugar refiners to purify sugar beet to make sugar. They were burnt to produce bone char. Some present day sugar refineries still use bone char. Hopefully not made from human bones.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:27:02
From: Michael V
ID: 1992778
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


photo taken by Di yesterday at maatsuyker island.

Nice one!

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:37:56
From: ms spock
ID: 1992781
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


photo taken by Di yesterday at maatsuyker island.

WOW! Tá sé sin chomh mistéireach freisin! (Wow! That is so mysterious as well!)

***tips hat to Di***

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:40:03
From: ms spock
ID: 1992783
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

What sort of weather do you get?

Mostly it is a bit playful! Like it wants you to come outside and play! :)


Nothing too extreme?

Not at all!

We literally live on the top of the hill that the bad weather literally parts and goes around our part of the hill. I had an amazing conversation with our deceased neighbour about that once. She used to watch this wild weather approach us and then disappear around us and go off into the distance.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:40:24
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992784
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


TTYL. Around 10 000 people died at the Battle of Waterloo yet only a few skeletons have ever been found. Appears that the locals dug up the mass graves and sold the bones to sugar refiners to purify sugar beet to make sugar. They were burnt to produce bone char. Some present day sugar refineries still use bone char. Hopefully not made from human bones.

Hopefully.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:41:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992785
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

Naughty noisy water!


What sort of weather do you get?

Mostly it is a bit playful! Like it wants you to come outside and play! :)

Here it chases you into any shade and sprinklers you can find.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:42:02
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992786
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

Mostly it is a bit playful! Like it wants you to come outside and play! :)


Nothing too extreme?

Not at all!

We literally live on the top of the hill that the bad weather literally parts and goes around our part of the hill. I had an amazing conversation with our deceased neighbour about that once. She used to watch this wild weather approach us and then disappear around us and go off into the distance.

The rain does that here. Splits and goes around us.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:46:09
From: Tamb
ID: 1992790
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

Mostly it is a bit playful! Like it wants you to come outside and play! :)


Nothing too extreme?

Not at all!

We literally live on the top of the hill that the bad weather literally parts and goes around our part of the hill. I had an amazing conversation with our deceased neighbour about that once. She used to watch this wild weather approach us and then disappear around us and go off into the distance.


I have something the same. There is a hill to the East which pushes the cyclonic winds up & over me. Next door has a saddle to the East & cops the wind big time.
The plus for him is he gets about 20% more rain than I do.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:46:17
From: ms spock
ID: 1992791
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

What sort of weather do you get?

Mostly it is a bit playful! Like it wants you to come outside and play! :)

Here it chases you into any shade and sprinklers you can find.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:46:34
From: ms spock
ID: 1992792
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

Nothing too extreme?

Not at all!

We literally live on the top of the hill that the bad weather literally parts and goes around our part of the hill. I had an amazing conversation with our deceased neighbour about that once. She used to watch this wild weather approach us and then disappear around us and go off into the distance.

The rain does that here. Splits and goes around us.

It’s pretty amazing when you can see it happening.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:48:01
From: ms spock
ID: 1992794
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

Nothing too extreme?

Not at all!

We literally live on the top of the hill that the bad weather literally parts and goes around our part of the hill. I had an amazing conversation with our deceased neighbour about that once. She used to watch this wild weather approach us and then disappear around us and go off into the distance.


I have something the same. There is a hill to the East which pushes the cyclonic winds up & over me. Next door has a saddle to the East & cops the wind big time.
The plus for him is he gets about 20% more rain than I do.

It is amazing how detailed the weather is, and I love that you know he gets 20% more rain than he does, but you are safe from the cyclonic winds.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:50:33
From: buffy
ID: 1992796
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Food report: Mr buffy is “cook”. Chicken schnitzel and chips and salad (takeaway) from the pub. One serve split into two plates. I’ve made up a couple of bowls of home grown lettuce + cubes of feta + pickled onions + gherkins to supplement the salad for each of us. I’m so looking forward to some homegrown tomatoes. I’ve finally got some starting to pale off prior to going red. Some hot days coming up. Shouldn’t be too long now.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:52:11
From: Tamb
ID: 1992797
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

Not at all!

We literally live on the top of the hill that the bad weather literally parts and goes around our part of the hill. I had an amazing conversation with our deceased neighbour about that once. She used to watch this wild weather approach us and then disappear around us and go off into the distance.


I have something the same. There is a hill to the East which pushes the cyclonic winds up & over me. Next door has a saddle to the East & cops the wind big time.
The plus for him is he gets about 20% more rain than I do.

It is amazing how detailed the weather is, and I love that you know he gets 20% more rain than he does, but you are safe from the cyclonic winds.


The Tableland is famous for it’s microclimates.
Town gets 1200mm pa I get 1000mm & a bloke about 6km from here gets 2500mm

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:52:19
From: ms spock
ID: 1992798
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

Yes thank you. They have reduced it from 7 working days to 5 so I can drive down on Monday & drive back home on Friday.

That sounds so arduous Tamb!

I am glad to read it is reduced from 7 days to 5 days but that is quite the treatment regime!


It’s bearable. The Azacitidine is administered subcutaneously not intravenously so I don’t feel too sick & I keep my hair.

That’s a real bonus Tamb! I am so glad to read that.

Keeping your hair and not feeling so sick would be such a big life style change for you. You must be exhausted from the chemo.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:52:44
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992799
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

>>Food report: Mr buffy is “cook”. Chicken schnitzel and chips and salad (takeaway) from the pub

Stop right there pilgrim, in no way does that constitute ‘cook’

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:53:48
From: Tamb
ID: 1992801
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Food report: Mr buffy is “cook”. Chicken schnitzel and chips and salad (takeaway) from the pub. One serve split into two plates. I’ve made up a couple of bowls of home grown lettuce + cubes of feta + pickled onions + gherkins to supplement the salad for each of us. I’m so looking forward to some homegrown tomatoes. I’ve finally got some starting to pale off prior to going red. Some hot days coming up. Shouldn’t be too long now.

You’ve reminded me. Best go & put dinner on.
Back tomorrow.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:53:52
From: ms spock
ID: 1992802
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

I have to return to my Gaeilge homework now!

Slan!

Fanacht sábháilte

D’fhan mé slán!

I had a great class from a Tasmanian Gaelic Teacher online and then I practiced with one of my study buddies!

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 17:57:24
From: ms spock
ID: 1992804
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

A decades-old model of animal (and human) learning is under fire
The result might be better AI

Jan 18th 2023

The buzz of a notification or the ding of an email might inspire excitement—or dread. In a famous experiment, Ivan Pavlov (pictured) showed that dogs can be taught to salivate at the tick of a metronome or the sound of a harmonium. This connection of cause to effect—known as associative, or reinforcement learning—is central to how most animals deal with the world.

Since the early 1970s the dominant theory of what is going on has been that animals learn by trial and error. Associating a cue (a metronome) with a reward (food) happens as follows. When a cue comes, the animal predicts when the reward will occur. Then, it waits to see what arrives. After that, it computes the difference between prediction and result—the error. Finally, it uses that error estimate to update things to make better predictions in future.

Belief in this approach was itself reinforced in the late 20th century by two things. One of these was the discovery that it is also good at solving engineering problems related to artificial intelligence (ai). Deep neural networks learn by minimising the error in their predictions.

The other reinforcing observation was a paper published in Science in 1997. It noted that fluctuations in levels in the brain of dopamine, a chemical which carries signals between some nerve cells and was known to be associated with the experience of reward, looked like prediction-error signals. Dopamine-generating cells are more active when the reward comes sooner than expected or is not expected at all, and are inhibited when the reward comes later or not at all—precisely what would happen if they were indeed such signals.

A nice story, then, of how science works. But if a new paper, also published in Science, turns out to be correct, it is wrong.

Researchers have known for a while that some aspects of dopamine activity are inconsistent with the prediction-error model. But, in part because it works so well for training artificial agents, these problems have been swept under the carpet. Until now. The new study, by Huijeong Jeong and Vijay Namboodiri of the University of California, San Francisco, and a team of collaborators, has turned the world of neuroscience on its head. It proposes a model of associative learning which suggests that researchers have got things backwards. Their suggestion, moreover, is supported by an array of experiments.

The old model looks forward, associating cause with effect. The new one does the opposite. It associates effect with cause. They think that when an animal receives a reward (or punishment), it looks back through its memory to work out what might have prompted this event. Dopamine’s role in the model is to flag events meaningful enough to act as causes for possible future rewards or punishments.

Looking at things this way deals with two things that have always bugged the old model. One is sensitivity to timescale. The other is computational tractability.

The timescale problem is that cause and effect may be separated by milliseconds (switching on a light bulb and experiencing illumination), minutes (having a drink and feeling tipsy) or even hours (eating something bad and getting food poisoning). Looking backward, Dr Namboodiri explains, permits investigation of an arbitrarily long list of possible causes. Looking forward, without always knowing in advance how far to look, is much trickier.

This leads to the second problem. Sensory experience is rich, and everything therein could potentially predict an outcome. Making predictions based on every single possible cue would be somewhere between difficult and impossible. It is far simpler, when a meaningful event happens, to look backwards through other potentially meaningful events for a cause.

In practice, however, it is hard to distinguish experimentally between the two models. And that is especially true if you do not even bother to look—which, until now, people have not. Dr Jeong and Dr Namboodiri have done so. They devised and conducted 11 experiments involving mice, buzzers and drops of sugar solution that were designed specifically for the purpose. During these they measured, in real time, the amount of dopamine being released by the nucleus accumbens, a region of the brain in which dopamine is implicated in learning and addiction. All of the experiments came down in favour of the new model.

The 180° turnabout in thinking—from prospective to retrospective—that is implied by these experiments is causing quite a stir in the world of neuroscience. It is “thought-provoking and represents a stimulating new direction,” says Ilana Witten, a neuroscientist at Princeton University uninvolved with the paper.

More experiments will be needed to confirm the new findings. But if confirmation comes, it will have ramifications beyond neuroscience. It will suggest that the way ai works does not, as currently argued, have even a tenuous link with how brains operate, but was actually a lucky guess.

But it might also suggest better ways of doing ai. Dr Namboodiri thinks so, and is exploring the possibilities. Evolution has had hundreds of millions of years to optimise the process of learning. So learning from nature is rarely a bad idea.

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2023/01/18/a-decades-old-model-of-animal-and-human-learning-is-under-fire?

Very, very interesting, thanks.

That’s fascinating. I have a friend who is going to love this!

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 18:02:51
From: buffy
ID: 1992806
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


>>Food report: Mr buffy is “cook”. Chicken schnitzel and chips and salad (takeaway) from the pub

Stop right there pilgrim, in no way does that constitute ‘cook’

Yeah, but it is cooked chook…

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 18:04:16
From: buffy
ID: 1992808
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/plibersek-backs-kosciuszko-national-park-brumby-senate-inquiry/101957568

Tanya will be remembered by history, I think.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 18:09:59
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1992810
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/plibersek-backs-kosciuszko-national-park-brumby-senate-inquiry/101957568

Tanya will be remembered by history, I think.

And well deserved on initial actions.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 18:28:06
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992813
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

should I watch ‘The Time Bandits’ for the umpteenth time?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 18:28:48
From: Arts
ID: 1992814
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


should I watch ‘The Time Bandits’ for the umpteenth time?

yes

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 18:29:41
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992815
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


should I watch ‘The Time Bandits’ for the umpteenth time?

Yeah, that should be ok.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 18:32:16
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992816
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Movie: Time Bandits
Friday 10th February at 7:20 pm (130 minutes)
Six fractious dwarfs steal a precious map that shows the locations of a series of time holes scattered across the universe, enabling them to travel back in time. Crashing through the bedroom wardrobe of 11 year old Craig Warnock and taking him along with them for the ride, they find themselves involved in a series of eccentric encounters with famous historical figures, amongst them Napoleon, Robin Hood and ancient Greece ruler, Agamemnon.
Actors/Presenters: Ian Holm, John Cleese, Sean Connery, Shelley Duvall, Katherine Helmond, Michael Palin
PG
1981, UK, Premiere, Comedy, Adventure, Fantasy
(Classification)

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 18:39:11
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992817
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:

Movie: Time Bandits
Friday 10th February at 7:20 pm (130 minutes)
Six fractious dwarfs steal a precious map that shows the locations of a series of time holes scattered across the universe, enabling them to travel back in time. Crashing through the bedroom wardrobe of 11 year old Craig Warnock and taking him along with them for the ride, they find themselves involved in a series of eccentric encounters with famous historical figures, amongst them Napoleon, Robin Hood and ancient Greece ruler, Agamemnon.
Actors/Presenters: Ian Holm, John Cleese, Sean Connery, Shelley Duvall, Katherine Helmond, Michael Palin
PG
1981, UK, Premiere, Comedy, Adventure, Fantasy
(Classification)

I’ve seen it umpteen times as well. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 18:41:38
From: ms spock
ID: 1992818
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

I have something the same. There is a hill to the East which pushes the cyclonic winds up & over me. Next door has a saddle to the East & cops the wind big time.
The plus for him is he gets about 20% more rain than I do.

It is amazing how detailed the weather is, and I love that you know he gets 20% more rain than he does, but you are safe from the cyclonic winds.


The Tableland is famous for it’s microclimates.
Town gets 1200mm pa I get 1000mm & a bloke about 6km from here gets 2500mm

I would love to see that in action!

We have microclimates on the same property. Doesn’t matter how hot it is everywhere there are a couple of places that are always cool.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 18:47:16
From: Neophyte
ID: 1992821
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sarahs mum said:

should I watch ‘The Time Bandits’ for the umpteenth time?

yes

The movie after “How To Be A Good Wife” is pretty good too.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 18:47:53
From: Michael V
ID: 1992822
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


buffy said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/plibersek-backs-kosciuszko-national-park-brumby-senate-inquiry/101957568

Tanya will be remembered by history, I think.

And well deserved on initial actions.

I’d be quite happy to eat feral horse meat.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 18:48:17
From: Neophyte
ID: 1992823
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

In fact, so is “Three Colours:Red“after that.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 18:56:39
From: ms spock
ID: 1992825
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


PermeateFree said:

buffy said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/plibersek-backs-kosciuszko-national-park-brumby-senate-inquiry/101957568

Tanya will be remembered by history, I think.

And well deserved on initial actions.

I’d be quite happy to eat feral horse meat.

It would be good if they could stop all those hooves destroying our soil structure.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 19:21:38
From: buffy
ID: 1992826
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I don’t think you could dream up a more precarious situation really.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/man-trapped-canyon-5tonne-boulder-macquarie-pass-near-wollongong/101959620

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 19:22:26
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992827
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Michael V said:

PermeateFree said:

And well deserved on initial actions.

I’d be quite happy to eat feral horse meat.

It would be good if they could stop all those hooves destroying our soil structure.

They should have been removed long ago. However, the sooner the better.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 19:24:43
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992829
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I don’t think you could dream up a more precarious situation really.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/man-trapped-canyon-5tonne-boulder-macquarie-pass-near-wollongong/101959620

I agree.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 19:28:12
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992830
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

I don’t think you could dream up a more precarious situation really.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/man-trapped-canyon-5tonne-boulder-macquarie-pass-near-wollongong/101959620

I agree.

i hope there is still circulation in his legs..

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 19:28:36
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992831
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 19:29:43
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992832
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

I don’t think you could dream up a more precarious situation really.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/man-trapped-canyon-5tonne-boulder-macquarie-pass-near-wollongong/101959620

I agree.

i hope there is still circulation in his legs..

It is pretty well serious if pinned at the hip.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 19:37:47
From: buffy
ID: 1992833
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Right then, we are going to watch an episode of Murdoch Mysteries. Lightweight and doesn’t require thinking.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 19:41:15
From: ms spock
ID: 1992835
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I don’t think you could dream up a more precarious situation really.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/man-trapped-canyon-5tonne-boulder-macquarie-pass-near-wollongong/101959620

Those poor people! Even the paramedic and doctor are in significant danger from the rains!

My brain hurts thinking about how they would even do it!

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 19:41:49
From: ms spock
ID: 1992836
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:



What’s that one called?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 19:42:52
From: ms spock
ID: 1992837
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 19:44:57
From: Michael V
ID: 1992838
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“Denis Sore faces court for alleged murder of his sister Samantha Bong in Townsville” (ABC headline.)

What unfortunate surnames.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-10/denis-sore-court-trial-alleged-murder-sister-townsville/101951096

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 19:45:21
From: Michael V
ID: 1992839
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


roughbarked said:


What’s that one called?

A butterfly.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 19:51:21
From: ms spock
ID: 1992842
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


ms spock said:

roughbarked said:


What’s that one called?

A butterfly.

Cheeky buggah!

Best wishes to The Patient! How many steps today?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 19:55:31
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992843
Subject: re: Chat February 2023


It was supposed to be a boring job.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 19:57:09
From: Michael V
ID: 1992844
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Michael V said:

ms spock said:

What’s that one called?

A butterfly.

Cheeky buggah!

Best wishes to The Patient! How many steps today?

:)

Lots of steps. 1321 in each direction. I expect in the next day or two, it will be a kilometre each way.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 19:58:51
From: Michael V
ID: 1992846
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



It was supposed to be a boring job.

I suppose it was. Bored a hole in him with a knife.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 20:03:57
From: transition
ID: 1992848
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

home sweet home and coffee landed, I needs a coffee

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 20:17:11
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992851
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 20:18:53
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992852
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

CSIRO
18 m ·
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, so let’s get mushy. 😍
Emperor cortinar (Cortinarius archeri) is a lovely lavender fungus in the ‘Cortinariaceae’ family of gilled mushrooms.
Like any good couple, this mushroom is typically found in pairs in eucalypt forests. They reproduce by producing brown coloured spores. 💜
CSIRO does not endorse the consumption of any fungi referenced in Fungi Friday

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 20:27:38
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992854
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


CSIRO
18 m ·
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, so let’s get mushy. 😍
Emperor cortinar (Cortinarius archeri) is a lovely lavender fungus in the ‘Cortinariaceae’ family of gilled mushrooms.
Like any good couple, this mushroom is typically found in pairs in eucalypt forests. They reproduce by producing brown coloured spores. 💜
CSIRO does not endorse the consumption of any fungi referenced in Fungi Friday

A wise disclaimer.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 20:35:53
From: ms spock
ID: 1992855
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


ms spock said:

Michael V said:

A butterfly.

Cheeky buggah!

Best wishes to The Patient! How many steps today?

:)

Lots of steps. 1321 in each direction. I expect in the next day or two, it will be a kilometre each way.

Great progress!

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 20:36:36
From: buffy
ID: 1992856
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Well, that’s confuddling. One of the characters in the present Murdoch Mysteries plays Six in Dark Matter, which we are also watching. You know when you recognize someone (and for me when you recognize a voice), but the period clothes momentarily stop you.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 20:37:08
From: ms spock
ID: 1992857
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:



Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 20:38:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992858
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Need some more heel balm but it’s pretty expensive.

The main active ingredient is urea, so I wonder if you could make your own just by pissing in a jar of moisturiser.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 20:39:04
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992859
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Peak Warming Man said:


Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

that’s good hmmm, right?

My daughter says ‘hmmmm’ to me lots and I take it badly.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 20:40:30
From: buffy
ID: 1992860
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Peak Warming Man said:


Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

That picture screams bushfire to me…I don’t like that hazy red light.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 20:43:45
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992861
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Need some more heel balm but it’s pretty expensive.

The main active ingredient is urea, so I wonder if you could make your own just by pissing in a jar of moisturiser.

Answer appears to be no (here they’re talking about using urine on your face):

“Urine is basically water. It has a little bit of urea in it, and there are some minerals and enzymes,” she explains. “But I don’t think it’s ideal to use urine on your skin.”

In fact, what Christy and other fans of this beauty trend are really touting is the urea found in urine. “Urea certainly does have beneficial properties for moisturization,” says Gohara. But the amounts found in your pee are so small, you’re probably better off just using beauty products from brands like Eucerin that use a more concentrated amount of synthetic urea.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/anti-aging/tips/a25534/urine-for-skin/

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 20:45:12
From: buffy
ID: 1992862
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Need some more heel balm but it’s pretty expensive.

The main active ingredient is urea, so I wonder if you could make your own just by pissing in a jar of moisturiser.

Answer appears to be no (here they’re talking about using urine on your face):

“Urine is basically water. It has a little bit of urea in it, and there are some minerals and enzymes,” she explains. “But I don’t think it’s ideal to use urine on your skin.”

In fact, what Christy and other fans of this beauty trend are really touting is the urea found in urine. “Urea certainly does have beneficial properties for moisturization,” says Gohara. But the amounts found in your pee are so small, you’re probably better off just using beauty products from brands like Eucerin that use a more concentrated amount of synthetic urea.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/anti-aging/tips/a25534/urine-for-skin/

Lanolin works well. Not that easy to get these days though as it’s no longer used for babies’ bums. Something about chemicals I think.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 20:48:11
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992863
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Need some more heel balm but it’s pretty expensive.

The main active ingredient is urea, so I wonder if you could make your own just by pissing in a jar of moisturiser.

Answer appears to be no (here they’re talking about using urine on your face):

“Urine is basically water. It has a little bit of urea in it, and there are some minerals and enzymes,” she explains. “But I don’t think it’s ideal to use urine on your skin.”

In fact, what Christy and other fans of this beauty trend are really touting is the urea found in urine. “Urea certainly does have beneficial properties for moisturization,” says Gohara. But the amounts found in your pee are so small, you’re probably better off just using beauty products from brands like Eucerin that use a more concentrated amount of synthetic urea.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/anti-aging/tips/a25534/urine-for-skin/

This stuff looks far better value than Heel Balm though.

$6.50 for 100gm, while Heel Balm is $15 for 75gm.

https://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/topiderm-urea-10-cream-100g

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 20:53:07
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1992864
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

This deer carefully maneuvers its antlers to walk under a gate.

https://twitter.com/fasc1nate/status/1623516137727164416?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 20:55:25
From: buffy
ID: 1992865
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Need some more heel balm but it’s pretty expensive.

The main active ingredient is urea, so I wonder if you could make your own just by pissing in a jar of moisturiser.

Answer appears to be no (here they’re talking about using urine on your face):

“Urine is basically water. It has a little bit of urea in it, and there are some minerals and enzymes,” she explains. “But I don’t think it’s ideal to use urine on your skin.”

In fact, what Christy and other fans of this beauty trend are really touting is the urea found in urine. “Urea certainly does have beneficial properties for moisturization,” says Gohara. But the amounts found in your pee are so small, you’re probably better off just using beauty products from brands like Eucerin that use a more concentrated amount of synthetic urea.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/anti-aging/tips/a25534/urine-for-skin/

Lanolin works well. Not that easy to get these days though as it’s no longer used for babies’ bums. Something about chemicals I think.

On further investigation, you can get it at Coles and Woolies. I used to use Amolin, but they took the lanolin out of that years ago. I guess the lanolin is just not in the baby section shelves now. I’ve still got some lanolin in a tube I’ve had for years. I don’t think it was expensive. But if I put it on my heels, I make sure I will be putting socks on over it. Makes a mess of the sheets on the bed if you put it on before going to bed and don’t wear socks. And it’s too hot for me to wear socks in bed. Except after I’ve had a COVID jab. So I lanolin my heels before I put my wool explorer socks on to go out gardening.

That got a bit rambly…I should probably head off to bed. Tomorrow morning we are going to Warrambool for Mr buffy to get some polo shirts from RB Sellars, out to Grassmere to George Taylor’s disposals for me to get some plastic buckets and a dish for bird water in the garden and then a bit further on to pick up a new trailer that Mr buffy ordered.

https://www.georgetaylorsstores.com.au/

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 20:59:03
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992867
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cheaper again – 500ml at 25% urea for $25

I’m assuming ml and gm are basically interchangeable for creams like this.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 20:59:40
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992868
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


This deer carefully maneuvers its antlers to walk under a gate.

https://twitter.com/fasc1nate/status/1623516137727164416?

I wonder what it’s IQ is?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 20:59:45
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992869
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Give this game a go Mr Car. You might like.

https://www.chronophoto.app/game.html

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 21:01:30
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992870
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


buffy said:

Bubblecar said:

Answer appears to be no (here they’re talking about using urine on your face):

“Urine is basically water. It has a little bit of urea in it, and there are some minerals and enzymes,” she explains. “But I don’t think it’s ideal to use urine on your skin.”

In fact, what Christy and other fans of this beauty trend are really touting is the urea found in urine. “Urea certainly does have beneficial properties for moisturization,” says Gohara. But the amounts found in your pee are so small, you’re probably better off just using beauty products from brands like Eucerin that use a more concentrated amount of synthetic urea.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/anti-aging/tips/a25534/urine-for-skin/

Lanolin works well. Not that easy to get these days though as it’s no longer used for babies’ bums. Something about chemicals I think.

On further investigation, you can get it at Coles and Woolies. I used to use Amolin, but they took the lanolin out of that years ago. I guess the lanolin is just not in the baby section shelves now. I’ve still got some lanolin in a tube I’ve had for years. I don’t think it was expensive. But if I put it on my heels, I make sure I will be putting socks on over it. Makes a mess of the sheets on the bed if you put it on before going to bed and don’t wear socks. And it’s too hot for me to wear socks in bed. Except after I’ve had a COVID jab. So I lanolin my heels before I put my wool explorer socks on to go out gardening.

That got a bit rambly…I should probably head off to bed. Tomorrow morning we are going to Warrambool for Mr buffy to get some polo shirts from RB Sellars, out to Grassmere to George Taylor’s disposals for me to get some plastic buckets and a dish for bird water in the garden and then a bit further on to pick up a new trailer that Mr buffy ordered.

https://www.georgetaylorsstores.com.au/

I use sorbolene as a general moisturiser. I could try lanolin.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 21:02:14
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992871
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Give this game a go Mr Car. You might like.

https://www.chronophoto.app/game.html

scored 3527 on my first attempt.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 21:05:06
From: buffy
ID: 1992872
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


buffy said:

buffy said:

Lanolin works well. Not that easy to get these days though as it’s no longer used for babies’ bums. Something about chemicals I think.

On further investigation, you can get it at Coles and Woolies. I used to use Amolin, but they took the lanolin out of that years ago. I guess the lanolin is just not in the baby section shelves now. I’ve still got some lanolin in a tube I’ve had for years. I don’t think it was expensive. But if I put it on my heels, I make sure I will be putting socks on over it. Makes a mess of the sheets on the bed if you put it on before going to bed and don’t wear socks. And it’s too hot for me to wear socks in bed. Except after I’ve had a COVID jab. So I lanolin my heels before I put my wool explorer socks on to go out gardening.

That got a bit rambly…I should probably head off to bed. Tomorrow morning we are going to Warrambool for Mr buffy to get some polo shirts from RB Sellars, out to Grassmere to George Taylor’s disposals for me to get some plastic buckets and a dish for bird water in the garden and then a bit further on to pick up a new trailer that Mr buffy ordered.

https://www.georgetaylorsstores.com.au/

I use sorbolene as a general moisturiser. I could try lanolin.

Sorbolene soaks in waaaay quicker than lanolin. Lanolin is, because it is wool fat, greasy.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 21:05:58
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992873
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


roughbarked said:


What’s that one called?

Orchard swallowtail

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 21:06:01
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992874
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


I use sorbolene as a general moisturiser. I could try lanolin.

You might well be best off avoiding the sorbolene (aqueous cream):

British researchers found evidence that using the cream to moisturize areas affected by eczema may actually aggravate the condition. They suggested this was due to skin-thinning effects of a detergent sodium lauryl sulfate. The National Eczema Society recommends alternatives such as white soft paraffin wax or other types of emollient without such a high content of sodium lauryl sulfate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqueous_cream

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 21:06:23
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992875
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


ms spock said:

roughbarked said:


What’s that one called?

A butterfly.

true

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 21:08:11
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992876
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

Give this game a go Mr Car. You might like.

https://www.chronophoto.app/game.html

scored 3527 on my first attempt.

Ta, I’ll have a look later.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 21:08:11
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992877
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

I use sorbolene as a general moisturiser. I could try lanolin.

You might well be best off avoiding the sorbolene (aqueous cream):

British researchers found evidence that using the cream to moisturize areas affected by eczema may actually aggravate the condition. They suggested this was due to skin-thinning effects of a detergent sodium lauryl sulfate. The National Eczema Society recommends alternatives such as white soft paraffin wax or other types of emollient without such a high content of sodium lauryl sulfate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqueous_cream

oh.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 21:18:15
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992879
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:

Give this game a go Mr Car. You might like.

https://www.chronophoto.app/game.html

scored 3527 on my first attempt.

Ta, I’ll have a look later.

It would be better if the game told you something about the photo after you made your guess.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 21:32:09
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992880
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Heat-loving lightweight superalloy promises higher turbine efficiency

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 21:41:53
From: dv
ID: 1992881
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

China National Highway 109 connects Beijing with Lhasa. It runs westwards from Beijing via Datong, Yinchuan and Xining to Golmud before turning southwest to Lhasa. The portion of the highway from Xining to Lhasa is known as the Qinghai-Tibet Highway. The total length of the route is 3,901 km.

Fushi Road or Jinglan Road forms the stretch of G109 in Beijing, as it begins from Fuchengmen and traverses through Shijingshan. The majority of the Beijing section is in Mentougou District.

The section of the highway within western Qinghai and Tibet, from Golmud to Lhasa, is paralleled by the Qinghai-Tibet Railway. The highway reaches its highest elevation of 5,231 meters (17,162 ft) at Tanggula Pass. Construction of this section started on 11 May 1954.

“Tasked with carrying upwards of 85 per cent of goods in and out of Tibet, the Qinghai-Tibet Highway has been dubbed the “Lifeline of Tibet.” … Since it was opened to traffic in 1954, the central government has spent nearly 3 billion yuan (US$362 million) on three major overhauls. It was asphalted in 1985.”

The route also holds importance as one of the main coal transport routes in southern Inner Mongolia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_National_Highway_109

That’s rather higher than any permanent settlement. Air pressure would be about half. I wonder if the truckers need to take any special precautions.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 21:45:47
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992882
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

scored 3527 on my first attempt.

Ta, I’ll have a look later.

It would be better if the game told you something about the photo after you made your guess.

4028 here. I bungled the 1990s one and put it in 1980s.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 21:46:34
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1992883
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


China National Highway 109 connects Beijing with Lhasa. It runs westwards from Beijing via Datong, Yinchuan and Xining to Golmud before turning southwest to Lhasa. The portion of the highway from Xining to Lhasa is known as the Qinghai-Tibet Highway. The total length of the route is 3,901 km.

Fushi Road or Jinglan Road forms the stretch of G109 in Beijing, as it begins from Fuchengmen and traverses through Shijingshan. The majority of the Beijing section is in Mentougou District.

The section of the highway within western Qinghai and Tibet, from Golmud to Lhasa, is paralleled by the Qinghai-Tibet Railway. The highway reaches its highest elevation of 5,231 meters (17,162 ft) at Tanggula Pass. Construction of this section started on 11 May 1954.

“Tasked with carrying upwards of 85 per cent of goods in and out of Tibet, the Qinghai-Tibet Highway has been dubbed the “Lifeline of Tibet.” … Since it was opened to traffic in 1954, the central government has spent nearly 3 billion yuan (US$362 million) on three major overhauls. It was asphalted in 1985.”

The route also holds importance as one of the main coal transport routes in southern Inner Mongolia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_National_Highway_109

That’s rather higher than any permanent settlement. Air pressure would be about half. I wonder if the truckers need to take any special precautions.

They probably used natural selection to evolve a team of drivers who could handle the conditions safely.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 21:47:03
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992884
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


China National Highway 109 connects Beijing with Lhasa. It runs westwards from Beijing via Datong, Yinchuan and Xining to Golmud before turning southwest to Lhasa. The portion of the highway from Xining to Lhasa is known as the Qinghai-Tibet Highway. The total length of the route is 3,901 km.

Fushi Road or Jinglan Road forms the stretch of G109 in Beijing, as it begins from Fuchengmen and traverses through Shijingshan. The majority of the Beijing section is in Mentougou District.

The section of the highway within western Qinghai and Tibet, from Golmud to Lhasa, is paralleled by the Qinghai-Tibet Railway. The highway reaches its highest elevation of 5,231 meters (17,162 ft) at Tanggula Pass. Construction of this section started on 11 May 1954.

“Tasked with carrying upwards of 85 per cent of goods in and out of Tibet, the Qinghai-Tibet Highway has been dubbed the “Lifeline of Tibet.” … Since it was opened to traffic in 1954, the central government has spent nearly 3 billion yuan (US$362 million) on three major overhauls. It was asphalted in 1985.”

The route also holds importance as one of the main coal transport routes in southern Inner Mongolia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_National_Highway_109

That’s rather higher than any permanent settlement. Air pressure would be about half. I wonder if the truckers need to take any special precautions.

One of the most interesting and scenic way to go to Tibet is taking the Tibet train. You can take a train from Beijing, Shanghai, or Chengdu all the way to Lhasa, the capital of Tibet Autonomous region. But the real section of this train ride, which we can truly call Tibet train, starts at a city named Xining. Xining is the capital of Qinghai province and the largest city on the Tibetan Plateau. This section starts from the northern edge of the Tibet plateau and cross the central part, the highest and one of the most hostile part of the planet Earth to reach the magical Lhasa.

The true Tibet section is called Qinghai–Tibet railway and it connects Xining to Lhasa. This high-elevation railway (dubbed World’s highest railway) is 1,956 km and takes its passengers from 2,275 meter above sea level (in Xining) to 3,658 altitude (in Lhasa). But the line also passes through much higher elevations, most notably Tanggula Pass. This wide mountain passing over 5,072 meters’ elevation is the world’s highest point on a railway. Due to these high elevations experienced by the passengers, the carriages on Qinghai–Tibet Railway trains are specially built and have an oxygen supply for each passenger (and every passenger train also has a doctor).

Normally, there is a general oxygen supply system in Qinghai-Tibet trains which increases the oxygen content in the cabin when the train is in very high altitude region called Qinghai–Tibet Plateau (average elevation exceeding 4,500 metres here and the region is sometimes called “the Roof of the World”). This supply keeps the required oxygen level in the train and protects the passengers from high altitude sickness.But for emergency there are also oxygen supply tubes and outlets for the passenger. These private oxygen supplies are provided for all classes of passengers and it is important to know how to use them, where they are installed and when to use.

https://www.chinatibettrain.com/tibet-train-oxygen-supply.htm

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 21:50:49
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992885
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Ta, I’ll have a look later.

It would be better if the game told you something about the photo after you made your guess.

4028 here. I bungled the 1990s one and put it in 1980s.

nice.

Some of them are easier.

I got it right. I remembered the photo evenif I don’t remember what it was about.

I have had some nice early 1900s ones.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 21:56:02
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992886
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

It would be better if the game told you something about the photo after you made your guess.

4028 here. I bungled the 1990s one and put it in 1980s.

nice.

Some of them are easier.

I got it right. I remembered the photo evenif I don’t remember what it was about.

I have had some nice early 1900s ones.

A terrorist who got thrown in the Bin where he belongs.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 21:56:40
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992887
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

It would be better if the game told you something about the photo after you made your guess.

4028 here. I bungled the 1990s one and put it in 1980s.

nice.

Some of them are easier.

I got it right. I remembered the photo evenif I don’t remember what it was about.

I have had some nice early 1900s ones.

That was a photo opportunity when watching what was happening when the US killed Osama and his wife.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 21:58:26
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992888
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

4028 here. I bungled the 1990s one and put it in 1980s.

nice.

Some of them are easier.

I got it right. I remembered the photo evenif I don’t remember what it was about.

I have had some nice early 1900s ones.

A terrorist who got thrown in the Bin where he belongs.

That makes sense.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 22:02:52
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992889
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

4028 here. I bungled the 1990s one and put it in 1980s.

nice.

Some of them are easier.

I got it right. I remembered the photo evenif I don’t remember what it was about.

I have had some nice early 1900s ones.

That was a photo opportunity when watching what was happening when the US killed Osama and his wife.

One of bin Laden’s wives was wounded in the raid, none were killed. The woman killed was a wife of one of his goons.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 22:03:45
From: ms spock
ID: 1992890
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Back in Perf.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 22:04:56
From: ms spock
ID: 1992891
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

Peak Warming Man said:


Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

that’s good hmmm, right?

My daughter says ‘hmmmm’ to me lots and I take it badly.

It’s a really good hmmmmm! Absolutely.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 22:07:18
From: ms spock
ID: 1992892
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


This deer carefully maneuvers its antlers to walk under a gate.

https://twitter.com/fasc1nate/status/1623516137727164416?

Go hiontach! (Impressive!)

That deer would win at limbo

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 22:13:30
From: party_pants
ID: 1992894
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

It would be better if the game told you something about the photo after you made your guess.

4028 here. I bungled the 1990s one and put it in 1980s.

nice.

Some of them are easier.

I got it right. I remembered the photo evenif I don’t remember what it was about.

I have had some nice early 1900s ones.

The other news story about this photo was that some hard-right newspapers (in Israel I think) photoshopped the women out of the picture, including Hillary.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 22:14:59
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1992895
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

This deer carefully maneuvers its antlers to walk under a gate.

https://twitter.com/fasc1nate/status/1623516137727164416?

I wonder what it’s IQ is?

Well, it probably doesn’t use apostrophes inappropriately.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 22:41:50
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992896
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cup of coffee then it’s half an hour in the studio.

Then on with music composition and housework.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 23:28:29
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992897
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Old London Photographs
Ann Cator · 9 m ·

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 23:29:08
From: dv
ID: 1992898
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


China National Highway 109 connects Beijing with Lhasa. It runs westwards from Beijing via Datong, Yinchuan and Xining to Golmud before turning southwest to Lhasa. The portion of the highway from Xining to Lhasa is known as the Qinghai-Tibet Highway. The total length of the route is 3,901 km.

Fushi Road or Jinglan Road forms the stretch of G109 in Beijing, as it begins from Fuchengmen and traverses through Shijingshan. The majority of the Beijing section is in Mentougou District.

The section of the highway within western Qinghai and Tibet, from Golmud to Lhasa, is paralleled by the Qinghai-Tibet Railway. The highway reaches its highest elevation of 5,231 meters (17,162 ft) at Tanggula Pass. Construction of this section started on 11 May 1954.

“Tasked with carrying upwards of 85 per cent of goods in and out of Tibet, the Qinghai-Tibet Highway has been dubbed the “Lifeline of Tibet.” … Since it was opened to traffic in 1954, the central government has spent nearly 3 billion yuan (US$362 million) on three major overhauls. It was asphalted in 1985.”

The route also holds importance as one of the main coal transport routes in southern Inner Mongolia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_National_Highway_109

That’s rather higher than any permanent settlement. Air pressure would be about half. I wonder if the truckers need to take any special precautions.

Speaking of Tibet, the highest known stand of trees in the northern hemisphere is a little forest of Juniperus tibetica at 29°42’ N 96°45’ E, some 4900 metres a.s.l.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 23:31:25
From: furious
ID: 1992899
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


dv said:

China National Highway 109 connects Beijing with Lhasa. It runs westwards from Beijing via Datong, Yinchuan and Xining to Golmud before turning southwest to Lhasa. The portion of the highway from Xining to Lhasa is known as the Qinghai-Tibet Highway. The total length of the route is 3,901 km.

Fushi Road or Jinglan Road forms the stretch of G109 in Beijing, as it begins from Fuchengmen and traverses through Shijingshan. The majority of the Beijing section is in Mentougou District.

The section of the highway within western Qinghai and Tibet, from Golmud to Lhasa, is paralleled by the Qinghai-Tibet Railway. The highway reaches its highest elevation of 5,231 meters (17,162 ft) at Tanggula Pass. Construction of this section started on 11 May 1954.

“Tasked with carrying upwards of 85 per cent of goods in and out of Tibet, the Qinghai-Tibet Highway has been dubbed the “Lifeline of Tibet.” … Since it was opened to traffic in 1954, the central government has spent nearly 3 billion yuan (US$362 million) on three major overhauls. It was asphalted in 1985.”

The route also holds importance as one of the main coal transport routes in southern Inner Mongolia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_National_Highway_109

That’s rather higher than any permanent settlement. Air pressure would be about half. I wonder if the truckers need to take any special precautions.

Speaking of Tibet, the highest known stand of trees in the northern hemisphere is a little forest of Juniperus tibetica at 29°42’ N 96°45’ E, some 4900 metres a.s.l.

Do they bring forth juniper berries?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 23:41:27
From: dv
ID: 1992900
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

furious said:


dv said:

dv said:

China National Highway 109 connects Beijing with Lhasa. It runs westwards from Beijing via Datong, Yinchuan and Xining to Golmud before turning southwest to Lhasa. The portion of the highway from Xining to Lhasa is known as the Qinghai-Tibet Highway. The total length of the route is 3,901 km.

Fushi Road or Jinglan Road forms the stretch of G109 in Beijing, as it begins from Fuchengmen and traverses through Shijingshan. The majority of the Beijing section is in Mentougou District.

The section of the highway within western Qinghai and Tibet, from Golmud to Lhasa, is paralleled by the Qinghai-Tibet Railway. The highway reaches its highest elevation of 5,231 meters (17,162 ft) at Tanggula Pass. Construction of this section started on 11 May 1954.

“Tasked with carrying upwards of 85 per cent of goods in and out of Tibet, the Qinghai-Tibet Highway has been dubbed the “Lifeline of Tibet.” … Since it was opened to traffic in 1954, the central government has spent nearly 3 billion yuan (US$362 million) on three major overhauls. It was asphalted in 1985.”

The route also holds importance as one of the main coal transport routes in southern Inner Mongolia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_National_Highway_109

That’s rather higher than any permanent settlement. Air pressure would be about half. I wonder if the truckers need to take any special precautions.

Speaking of Tibet, the highest known stand of trees in the northern hemisphere is a little forest of Juniperus tibetica at 29°42’ N 96°45’ E, some 4900 metres a.s.l.

Do they bring forth juniper berries?

yes

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 23:44:42
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992901
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Looking up framing Ave Luna, and what didn’t I do that the sensible artists do?

That’s right, I didn’t stick the paper onto a backing board before I did the painting.

So it’s going to be trickier. Almost tempted to let a professional framer do it.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 23:45:55
From: furious
ID: 1992902
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


furious said:

dv said:

Speaking of Tibet, the highest known stand of trees in the northern hemisphere is a little forest of Juniperus tibetica at 29°42’ N 96°45’ E, some 4900 metres a.s.l.

Do they bring forth juniper berries?

yes

A miracle!

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 23:46:35
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992903
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Looking up framing Ave Luna, and what didn’t I do that the sensible artists do?

That’s right, I didn’t stick the paper onto a backing board before I did the painting.

So it’s going to be trickier. Almost tempted to let a professional framer do it.

Pro framing sounds like the thing for something you invested so much of your life into.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 23:47:08
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992904
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Old London Photographs
Ann Cator · 9 m ·

Ta, evocative selection there.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 23:47:38
From: party_pants
ID: 1992905
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

furious said:


dv said:

furious said:

Do they bring forth juniper berries?

yes

A miracle!

step on my foot!

Reply Quote

Date: 10/02/2023 23:49:27
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992906
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Looking up framing Ave Luna, and what didn’t I do that the sensible artists do?

That’s right, I didn’t stick the paper onto a backing board before I did the painting.

So it’s going to be trickier. Almost tempted to let a professional framer do it.

Pro framing sounds like the thing for something you invested so much of your life into.

Well it wasn’t actually much of my life :)

Took a long time to finish (still needs an hour or so of tonal adjustment) but only because I only worked on it for a few minutes here and there.

Probably no more than a couple weeks solid work if I was doing it full-time.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 00:15:07
From: dv
ID: 1992911
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Ref
Mountain Research and Development
Vol 27
No 2
May 2007: 169–173
doi:10.1659/mrd.0792
Georg Miehe, Sabine Miehe, Jonas Vogel, Sonam Co, and La Duo
Highest Treeline in the Northern Hemisphere Found in Southern Tibet

——-

Since you ask, the highest trees in the world are in the Andes up to around 5100 metres, Polylepis tarapacana.

Boza Espinoza TE, Kessler M (2022) A monograph of the genus Polylepis (Rosaceae). PhytoKeys 203: 1-274. https://doi.org/10.3897/phytokeys.203.83529

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 00:56:08
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992916
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 01:00:33
From: furious
ID: 1992917
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



Wasting good silver on dogs…

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 01:36:01
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992918
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Trying out frames online (at Frameshop) for Ave Luna, and the effect is spoilt every time by the weakest element of that painting – the tacky-looking “bathroom floor” of the foreground.

Seriously considering scraping all that back and replacing it with a wooden floor.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 01:39:49
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992919
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



Ta, some lovely stuff for my neglected folder Nostalgia/Pets :)

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 01:49:25
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992920
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Trying out frames online (at Frameshop) for Ave Luna, and the effect is spoilt every time by the weakest element of that painting – the tacky-looking “bathroom floor” of the foreground.

Seriously considering scraping all that back and replacing it with a wooden floor.

Case in point: (This frame is probably too huge, too light-coloured and over-the-top, but it shows what I mean by the cruddy “bathroom floor”, when everything else is more organic):

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 01:55:57
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992921
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Trying out frames online (at Frameshop) for Ave Luna, and the effect is spoilt every time by the weakest element of that painting – the tacky-looking “bathroom floor” of the foreground.

Seriously considering scraping all that back and replacing it with a wooden floor.

Case in point: (This frame is probably too huge, too light-coloured and over-the-top, but it shows what I mean by the cruddy “bathroom floor”, when everything else is more organic):


I agree, take the putty rubber to it. But first try some wooden floorboard versions on printed drafts.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 02:09:22
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992922
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Trying out frames online (at Frameshop) for Ave Luna, and the effect is spoilt every time by the weakest element of that painting – the tacky-looking “bathroom floor” of the foreground.

Seriously considering scraping all that back and replacing it with a wooden floor.

Case in point: (This frame is probably too huge, too light-coloured and over-the-top, but it shows what I mean by the cruddy “bathroom floor”, when everything else is more organic):


I agree, take the putty rubber to it. But first try some wooden floorboard versions on printed drafts.

Maybe a lighter stone colour like on the walls ?

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 02:10:08
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992923
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Astronomers uncover a one-in-ten-billion binary star system: Kilonova progenitor system

Astronomers using data from the SMARTS 1.5-meter Telescope at the Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory (CTIO), have made the first confirmed detection of a star system that will one day form a kilonova — the ultra-powerful, gold-producing explosion created by merging neutron stars. These systems are so phenomenally rare that only about 10 such systems are thought to exist in the entire Milky Way.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 02:10:11
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992924
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Every one I try, the bathroom floor screams “Get rid of me! You know you’ve always hated me!”

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 02:13:54
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992925
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Some of these heavy dark frames lend themselves well to the image (if you can ignore the “bathroom floor”).

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 02:17:15
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992926
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Some of these heavy dark frames lend themselves well to the image (if you can ignore the “bathroom floor”).


Final size using that frame would be 66.5cm x 82cm, quite imposing.

Cost would be just over $300 excluding shipping (includes assembled frame + glass and backing, for me to frame the painting myself).

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 02:21:33
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992927
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Also works well, if you ignore the tiles.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 02:23:36
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992928
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Too many to choose from.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 02:32:51
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992929
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Some more to consider. That’ll do for tonight :)

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 02:34:13
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992930
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Case in point: (This frame is probably too huge, too light-coloured and over-the-top, but it shows what I mean by the cruddy “bathroom floor”, when everything else is more organic):


I agree, take the putty rubber to it. But first try some wooden floorboard versions on printed drafts.

Maybe a lighter stone colour like on the walls ?

Possibly but I think floorboards would work better.

I’ll do some tryouts in the days ahead.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 03:36:49
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1992931
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

WEAVE spectrograph begins study of galaxy formation and evolution

More than 500 astronomers from all over Europe, including members of Catalan universities and research centers—the UPC and the ICCUB—have designed and planned a total of five years of operations for the WEAVE spectrograph, a powerful instrument recently installed at the Canary Islands observatory.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 04:46:46
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992935
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Trying out frames online (at Frameshop) for Ave Luna, and the effect is spoilt every time by the weakest element of that painting – the tacky-looking “bathroom floor” of the foreground.

Seriously considering scraping all that back and replacing it with a wooden floor.

Case in point: (This frame is probably too huge, too light-coloured and over-the-top, but it shows what I mean by the cruddy “bathroom floor”, when everything else is more organic):

I don’t know. that’s pretty good.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 04:47:42
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992936
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Trying out frames online (at Frameshop) for Ave Luna, and the effect is spoilt every time by the weakest element of that painting – the tacky-looking “bathroom floor” of the foreground.

Seriously considering scraping all that back and replacing it with a wooden floor.

Case in point: (This frame is probably too huge, too light-coloured and over-the-top, but it shows what I mean by the cruddy “bathroom floor”, when everything else is more organic):


I agree, take the putty rubber to it. But first try some wooden floorboard versions on printed drafts.

Could it use just a tad of shadowing?

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 04:49:35
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1992937
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Case in point: (This frame is probably too huge, too light-coloured and over-the-top, but it shows what I mean by the cruddy “bathroom floor”, when everything else is more organic):


I agree, take the putty rubber to it. But first try some wooden floorboard versions on printed drafts.

Could it use just a tad of shadowing?

more shadowing.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 05:38:15
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992939
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

I agree, take the putty rubber to it. But first try some wooden floorboard versions on printed drafts.

Could it use just a tad of shadowing?

more shadowing.

I’ve printed a couple of these shopped tryouts to rough in some floorboards and see what I think before doing anything to the original.

But I’m already far preferring this non-tiled look, with the step down from stone margins to the boards, and slightly deeper bottom edge to the lake.

Bear in mind this is a poor low-res image of the actual painting :)

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 06:52:02
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992943
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Mornning. The current temperature.

Updated at 06:30 EDT

26.0 °C

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 06:52:38
From: buffy
ID: 1992944
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 14 degrees, overcast. No fog this morning. We are forecast a partly cloudy 26 today and then back down to about 20 for a couple of days.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 07:10:53
From: buffy
ID: 1992946
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Some of these heavy dark frames lend themselves well to the image (if you can ignore the “bathroom floor”).


As the surround looks like carved stone, the tiles seem quite appropriate to me. Stop picking at it!!

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 07:12:51
From: buffy
ID: 1992947
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-11/pentagon-shoots-down-unknown-object-flying-in-us-airspace/101960982

Oh dear…there goes someones very expensive monster Christmas present drone…

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 07:23:35
From: buffy
ID: 1992948
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

This one is a pretty moth someone photographed in Gippsland (Won Wron) recently. It’s labelled as Iropoca rotundata awaiting confirmation ID.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 07:32:30
From: buffy
ID: 1992950
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

And I should go and feed the chooks and get some proper clothes on before we head off for a drive around the countryside to pick up a new trailer.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 07:56:49
From: Michael V
ID: 1992951
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning everybody.

My eyes tell me it’s partly cloudy and that there’s a light air. My instrument tells me that it’s a cool 19.3°C and 85% RH. The BoM tells me to expect a maximum of 29°C and no rain.

Agenda: go on a walk with Mrs V. I’m expecting to get to 1 km before turning around today or tomorrow. The Patient is recuperating very well so far. Continue sorting Mum’s stuff. She definitely did not have her affairs in order.

Food planned: Breakfast: heated left over fried rice on a slice of cheese on toast. Lunch: cold sausage sandwiches. Dinner: Eggplant (and possibly capsicum) with minced pork in fish fragrant sauce.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 09:02:52
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1992956
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:

I’m expecting to get to 1 km before turning around today or tomorrow.

I hope you take a packed lunch and a swag.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 09:15:02
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1992958
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

furious said:


dv said:

dv said:

China National Highway 109 connects Beijing with Lhasa. It runs westwards from Beijing via Datong, Yinchuan and Xining to Golmud before turning southwest to Lhasa. The portion of the highway from Xining to Lhasa is known as the Qinghai-Tibet Highway. The total length of the route is 3,901 km.

Fushi Road or Jinglan Road forms the stretch of G109 in Beijing, as it begins from Fuchengmen and traverses through Shijingshan. The majority of the Beijing section is in Mentougou District.

The section of the highway within western Qinghai and Tibet, from Golmud to Lhasa, is paralleled by the Qinghai-Tibet Railway. The highway reaches its highest elevation of 5,231 meters (17,162 ft) at Tanggula Pass. Construction of this section started on 11 May 1954.

“Tasked with carrying upwards of 85 per cent of goods in and out of Tibet, the Qinghai-Tibet Highway has been dubbed the “Lifeline of Tibet.” … Since it was opened to traffic in 1954, the central government has spent nearly 3 billion yuan (US$362 million) on three major overhauls. It was asphalted in 1985.”

The route also holds importance as one of the main coal transport routes in southern Inner Mongolia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_National_Highway_109

That’s rather higher than any permanent settlement. Air pressure would be about half. I wonder if the truckers need to take any special precautions.

Speaking of Tibet, the highest known stand of trees in the northern hemisphere is a little forest of Juniperus tibetica at 29°42’ N 96°45’ E, some 4900 metres a.s.l.

Do they bring forth juniper berries?

Of course …

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 09:38:12
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1992959
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Bubblecar said:

Some of these heavy dark frames lend themselves well to the image (if you can ignore the “bathroom floor”).


As the surround looks like carved stone, the tiles seem quite appropriate to me. Stop picking at it!!

Same here :)

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 09:43:51
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1992960
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning punters.
Beautiful day in the Pearl.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 10:00:20
From: ms spock
ID: 1992963
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dia daoibh Earthlings!

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 10:01:37
From: ms spock
ID: 1992964
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


This one is a pretty moth someone photographed in Gippsland (Won Wron) recently. It’s labelled as Iropoca rotundata awaiting confirmation ID.


Taibhseach! Gorgeous!

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 10:37:50
From: Michael V
ID: 1992969
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


furious said:

dv said:

Speaking of Tibet, the highest known stand of trees in the northern hemisphere is a little forest of Juniperus tibetica at 29°42’ N 96°45’ E, some 4900 metres a.s.l.

Do they bring forth juniper berries?

Of course …

And songs by Donovan Leitch?

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 10:42:30
From: Michael V
ID: 1992972
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Michael V said:

I’m expecting to get to 1 km before turning around today or tomorrow.

I hope you take a packed lunch and a swag.

Not necessary. We achieved the 1 km outward walk, so 2 km return. All before breakfast.

There are lots of people down town. The monthly markets are really pumping. Too many people. So we didn’t go.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 10:50:13
From: Michael V
ID: 1992974
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


JudgeMental said:

Michael V said:

I’m expecting to get to 1 km before turning around today or tomorrow.

I hope you take a packed lunch and a swag.

Not necessary. We achieved the 1 km outward walk, so 2 km return. All before breakfast.

There are lots of people down town. The monthly markets are really pumping. Too many people. So we didn’t go.

Oh, and the surf looks good. Around 2 m and breaking in both directions. Three board surfers taking advantage of the conditions. Despite the big swell, the ocean is glassy beyond the breakers, because there is virtually no breeze down there.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 10:53:19
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992975
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Razzy Dazzy Spasm Band was an early New Orleans band regarded by some as the first jazz band. The band was a group of young street urchins led by Emile “Stalebread Charlie” Lacoume. Other members of the group were Harry Gregson, Emile “Whiskey” Benrod, Willie “Cajun” Bussey, Frank “Monk” Bussey and a boy known only as “Warm Gravy.” They also had another member who was known as “Chinee” and a singer known as “Family Haircut.”

This band performed in the streets of Storyville in the 1890s and early 1900s. According to a 1936 book by the crime writer Herbert Asbury, when another band appropriated their name and musical style for a performance at the Haymarket Dancehall, the original band members pelted the stage with rocks, leading the venue’s owner to change the name of the second band on all advertising to the Razzy Dazzy Jazzy Band, which some claim is the first time the word jazz was used in connection with music.

The band is referred to in chapter seventeen of Anne Rice’s Novel “The Witching Hour”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razzy_Dazzy_Spasm_Band_(jazz)

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 11:11:27
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992982
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Folk violin shown with a case for a larger instrument, Swedish c.1800.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 11:12:32
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1992983
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


The Razzy Dazzy Spasm Band was an early New Orleans band regarded by some as the first jazz band. The band was a group of young street urchins led by Emile “Stalebread Charlie” Lacoume. Other members of the group were Harry Gregson, Emile “Whiskey” Benrod, Willie “Cajun” Bussey, Frank “Monk” Bussey and a boy known only as “Warm Gravy.” They also had another member who was known as “Chinee” and a singer known as “Family Haircut.”

This band performed in the streets of Storyville in the 1890s and early 1900s. According to a 1936 book by the crime writer Herbert Asbury, when another band appropriated their name and musical style for a performance at the Haymarket Dancehall, the original band members pelted the stage with rocks, leading the venue’s owner to change the name of the second band on all advertising to the Razzy Dazzy Jazzy Band, which some claim is the first time the word jazz was used in connection with music.

The band is referred to in chapter seventeen of Anne Rice’s Novel “The Witching Hour”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razzy_Dazzy_Spasm_Band_(jazz)


Hadn’t heard of them.

I couldn’t find any recordings of the original, but this lot probably sound pretty close:

Not the Razzy Dazzy Spasm Band

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 11:26:11
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992985
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Bubblecar said:

The Razzy Dazzy Spasm Band was an early New Orleans band regarded by some as the first jazz band. The band was a group of young street urchins led by Emile “Stalebread Charlie” Lacoume. Other members of the group were Harry Gregson, Emile “Whiskey” Benrod, Willie “Cajun” Bussey, Frank “Monk” Bussey and a boy known only as “Warm Gravy.” They also had another member who was known as “Chinee” and a singer known as “Family Haircut.”

This band performed in the streets of Storyville in the 1890s and early 1900s. According to a 1936 book by the crime writer Herbert Asbury, when another band appropriated their name and musical style for a performance at the Haymarket Dancehall, the original band members pelted the stage with rocks, leading the venue’s owner to change the name of the second band on all advertising to the Razzy Dazzy Jazzy Band, which some claim is the first time the word jazz was used in connection with music.

The band is referred to in chapter seventeen of Anne Rice’s Novel “The Witching Hour”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razzy_Dazzy_Spasm_Band_(jazz)


Hadn’t heard of them.

I couldn’t find any recordings of the original, but this lot probably sound pretty close:

Not the Razzy Dazzy Spasm Band

That original band would have had a more varied sound, what with all those instruments.

Mind you they might have sounded terrible :)

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 11:28:05
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1992986
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Folk fiddle made by A.B. Calhoun in New England in 1896.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 11:46:43
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1992987
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


The Razzy Dazzy Spasm Band was an early New Orleans band regarded by some as the first jazz band. The band was a group of young street urchins led by Emile “Stalebread Charlie” Lacoume. Other members of the group were Harry Gregson, Emile “Whiskey” Benrod, Willie “Cajun” Bussey, Frank “Monk” Bussey and a boy known only as “Warm Gravy.” They also had another member who was known as “Chinee” and a singer known as “Family Haircut.”

This band performed in the streets of Storyville in the 1890s and early 1900s. According to a 1936 book by the crime writer Herbert Asbury, when another band appropriated their name and musical style for a performance at the Haymarket Dancehall, the original band members pelted the stage with rocks, leading the venue’s owner to change the name of the second band on all advertising to the Razzy Dazzy Jazzy Band, which some claim is the first time the word jazz was used in connection with music.

The band is referred to in chapter seventeen of Anne Rice’s Novel “The Witching Hour”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razzy_Dazzy_Spasm_Band_(jazz)


Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band, the early days.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 11:47:57
From: roughbarked
ID: 1992988
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Bubblecar said:

The Razzy Dazzy Spasm Band was an early New Orleans band regarded by some as the first jazz band. The band was a group of young street urchins led by Emile “Stalebread Charlie” Lacoume. Other members of the group were Harry Gregson, Emile “Whiskey” Benrod, Willie “Cajun” Bussey, Frank “Monk” Bussey and a boy known only as “Warm Gravy.” They also had another member who was known as “Chinee” and a singer known as “Family Haircut.”

This band performed in the streets of Storyville in the 1890s and early 1900s. According to a 1936 book by the crime writer Herbert Asbury, when another band appropriated their name and musical style for a performance at the Haymarket Dancehall, the original band members pelted the stage with rocks, leading the venue’s owner to change the name of the second band on all advertising to the Razzy Dazzy Jazzy Band, which some claim is the first time the word jazz was used in connection with music.

The band is referred to in chapter seventeen of Anne Rice’s Novel “The Witching Hour”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razzy_Dazzy_Spasm_Band_(jazz)


Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band, the early days.

My canary has circles under his eyes.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 11:56:04
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1992989
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The size of a small car…

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 11:59:35
From: Tamb
ID: 1992990
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


The size of a small car…



40000 feet is quite low.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:00:57
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1992991
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


captain_spalding said:

The size of a small car…



40000 feet is quite low.

It’s a Reliant Robin.

They were never performance machines.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:06:21
From: transition
ID: 1992996
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’s up’n imbibed I embalmed
with caffeine did done
second time’s matter of fact
earlier crack of’t dawn
well before’t any evident sun
arisen not’t were hidin’
but ‘ere earth’t do turn some
I sees light once more
rotate turn another more one
tell ya’t be a revolution
Lord provides diurnal pattern
he clocks the rock for
embeds the order shining on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MbqzDm1uCo
Revolution (Remastered 2009)

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:07:41
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993000
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:12:52
From: Tamb
ID: 1993004
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:




It might help a bit but birds etc often eat the unripe fruit.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:15:54
From: party_pants
ID: 1993005
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


captain_spalding said:

The size of a small car…



40000 feet is quite low.

Yes, that could be a hazard to commercial aviation.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:15:54
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993006
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


roughbarked said:



It might help a bit but birds etc often eat the unripe fruit.

So, the painted stones might deter the dumb birds, but not the dumbest of the birds.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:17:12
From: buffy
ID: 1993007
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

And we are back. Been to Warrnambool, Grassmere, Ellerslie, Mortlake and back home. Got a new trailer:

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:17:56
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993008
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


roughbarked said:



It might help a bit but birds etc often eat the unripe fruit.

I don’t really have a bird probem with strawberries. Mine are slugs and slaters.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:18:43
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993009
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Tamb said:

roughbarked said:



It might help a bit but birds etc often eat the unripe fruit.

So, the painted stones might deter the dumb birds, but not the dumbest of the birds.

If you asked me, there would be birds that nicked the pretty stones anyway.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:24:59
From: Michael V
ID: 1993013
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:



Cool!

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:28:58
From: buffy
ID: 1993015
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

We were given a gift at the bakery this morning. Cam was cutting up the beestings and gave us a couple of the offcuts. I’ve not eaten beestings before – they are a yeasted honey and almond thing with custard and cream in the layers. The ones at the bakery here are very popular. I don’t mind it, but I won’t be buying them to eat. I like my vanilla slices and neenish tarts.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:35:46
From: party_pants
ID: 1993019
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


And we are back. Been to Warrnambool, Grassmere, Ellerslie, Mortlake and back home. Got a new trailer:


nods

just perfect for carting lots of firewood.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:36:37
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993020
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


And we are back. Been to Warrnambool, Grassmere, Ellerslie, Mortlake and back home. Got a new trailer:


Nice trailer.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:42:49
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993023
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


buffy said:

And we are back. Been to Warrnambool, Grassmere, Ellerslie, Mortlake and back home. Got a new trailer:


Nice trailer.

Two axels, only wealthy people can afford two axle trailers.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:44:42
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1993026
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

buffy said:

And we are back. Been to Warrnambool, Grassmere, Ellerslie, Mortlake and back home. Got a new trailer:


Nice trailer.

Two axels, only wealthy people can afford two axle trailers.

Buffy’s been living large off Medicare rebates for decades.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:45:39
From: Tamb
ID: 1993027
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

buffy said:

And we are back. Been to Warrnambool, Grassmere, Ellerslie, Mortlake and back home. Got a new trailer:


Nice trailer.

Two axels, only wealthy people can afford two axle trailers.

4 wheel brakes?

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:46:05
From: buffy
ID: 1993028
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

buffy said:

And we are back. Been to Warrnambool, Grassmere, Ellerslie, Mortlake and back home. Got a new trailer:


Nice trailer.

Two axels, only wealthy people can afford two axle trailers.

Mr buffy bought it.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:46:42
From: buffy
ID: 1993029
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Nice trailer.

Two axels, only wealthy people can afford two axle trailers.

4 wheel brakes?

Apparently it has electric brakes. It certainly doesn’t shudder when the brakes go on.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:46:47
From: party_pants
ID: 1993030
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Nice trailer.

Two axels, only wealthy people can afford two axle trailers.

Mr buffy bought it.

He’ll be needing a bigger chainsaw next/

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:48:39
From: buffy
ID: 1993031
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


buffy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Two axels, only wealthy people can afford two axle trailers.

Mr buffy bought it.

He’ll be needing a bigger chainsaw next/

Don’t laugh..he’s recently killed at least one of the chainsaws. I don’t know how many he’s got at the moment. I’ve got a Stihl battery chainsaw. I bought it some years ago. I’ve never used it.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:48:52
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993032
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Nice trailer.

Two axels, only wealthy people can afford two axle trailers.

4 wheel brakes?

Legally it has to have that.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:49:02
From: Tamb
ID: 1993033
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


buffy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Two axels, only wealthy people can afford two axle trailers.

Mr buffy bought it.

He’ll be needing a bigger chainsaw next/


And a bigger hat.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:49:46
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993034
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


party_pants said:

buffy said:

Mr buffy bought it.

He’ll be needing a bigger chainsaw next/

Don’t laugh..he’s recently killed at least one of the chainsaws. I don’t know how many he’s got at the moment. I’ve got a Stihl battery chainsaw. I bought it some years ago. I’ve never used it.

At least you’ve stihl got it.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 12:50:31
From: Tamb
ID: 1993035
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tamb said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Two axels, only wealthy people can afford two axle trailers.

4 wheel brakes?

Legally it has to have that.


They are really tricky to adjust.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 13:01:13
From: buffy
ID: 1993036
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


roughbarked said:

Tamb said:

4 wheel brakes?

Legally it has to have that.


They are really tricky to adjust.

We have had a dual axle trailer before. It had the ramps up underneath like a car trailer. I could set them up on my own. I won’t be trying to let this backend ramp down on my own. Mr buffy sold the other one to a friend some years ago. At the moment we have two trailers. This big one. And a little 6×4 to run around behind the Jimny at the bush. There was another one, but that was sold during the week. I don’t know how I keep up with this equipment dance.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 13:04:04
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993037
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Michael V said:

JudgeMental said:

I hope you take a packed lunch and a swag.

Not necessary. We achieved the 1 km outward walk, so 2 km return. All before breakfast.

There are lots of people down town. The monthly markets are really pumping. Too many people. So we didn’t go.

Oh, and the surf looks good. Around 2 m and breaking in both directions. Three board surfers taking advantage of the conditions. Despite the big swell, the ocean is glassy beyond the breakers, because there is virtually no breeze down there.

Good shark conditions.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 13:11:09
From: Michael V
ID: 1993040
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


And we are back. Been to Warrnambool, Grassmere, Ellerslie, Mortlake and back home. Got a new trailer:


Holy pump!

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 13:14:47
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993042
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

And we are back. Been to Warrnambool, Grassmere, Ellerslie, Mortlake and back home. Got a new trailer:


Holy pump!

Praise the holy pump.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 13:16:30
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993044
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Goffin’s cockatoos able to use toolset to complete tasks

Parrots can figure out how to use a tool, pick the most suitable one and even transport a set together.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 13:45:53
From: transition
ID: 1993048
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Goffin’s cockatoos able to use toolset to complete tasks

Parrots can figure out how to use a tool, pick the most suitable one and even transport a set together.

more…

i’d suggest sequential try and test is something human minds do regularly, apply mind tool that way, and composites of

just saying sequential application (selection, even happy accidents) still qualifies as a process of choosing from a set

happy accident, what is exploration, generalized?

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 15:11:08
From: buffy
ID: 1993058
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The wind is picking up here. Sitting in the 20s, gusting into the mid 30s. It’s not hot today though, so that’s good.

I’m going to read and nap for a bit.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 15:16:08
From: transition
ID: 1993059
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Goffin’s cockatoos able to use toolset to complete tasks

Parrots can figure out how to use a tool, pick the most suitable one and even transport a set together.

more…

lady and I just watched videos, really clever bird, that

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 15:51:47
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993067
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Goffin’s cockatoos able to use toolset to complete tasks

Parrots can figure out how to use a tool, pick the most suitable one and even transport a set together.

more…

i’d suggest sequential try and test is something human minds do regularly, apply mind tool that way, and composites of

just saying sequential application (selection, even happy accidents) still qualifies as a process of choosing from a set

happy accident, what is exploration, generalized?

Clever birds.

The parrots here like digging little holes.

I hope they don’t try using shovels, it could get messy.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 16:01:15
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993068
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Goffin’s cockatoos able to use toolset to complete tasks

Parrots can figure out how to use a tool, pick the most suitable one and even transport a set together.

more…

lady and I just watched videos, really clever bird, that

Honey bees have been found to use tools as well.

Honeybees found using tools, in a first—to repel giant hornet attacks

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 17:31:43
From: buffy
ID: 1993089
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

It seems you need a lot of fancy gear and a lot of processing know how for this comet.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-11/pictures-of-the-green-comet-from-around-the-world/101961458

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 17:35:39
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993091
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


It seems you need a lot of fancy gear and a lot of processing know how for this comet.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-11/pictures-of-the-green-comet-from-around-the-world/101961458

Yes.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 17:49:42
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993094
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


It seems you need a lot of fancy gear and a lot of processing know how for this comet.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-11/pictures-of-the-green-comet-from-around-the-world/101961458

Here is another article discussing where the comet came from and why its green.

The Story Behind a Once-in-a-Lifetime Green Comet That’s About to Fly Past Earth

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 18:01:59
From: Michael V
ID: 1993098
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


It seems you need a lot of fancy gear and a lot of processing know how for this comet.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-11/pictures-of-the-green-comet-from-around-the-world/101961458

I agree. Probably not a 5 minute sky-gaze, unlike the great comet a few years back.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 18:05:30
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993099
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

It seems you need a lot of fancy gear and a lot of processing know how for this comet.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-11/pictures-of-the-green-comet-from-around-the-world/101961458

I agree. Probably not a 5 minute sky-gaze, unlike the great comet a few years back.

The mossies will send me back in before I spot where it is.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 18:07:18
From: buffy
ID: 1993100
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Michael V said:

buffy said:

It seems you need a lot of fancy gear and a lot of processing know how for this comet.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-11/pictures-of-the-green-comet-from-around-the-world/101961458

I agree. Probably not a 5 minute sky-gaze, unlike the great comet a few years back.

The mossies will send me back in before I spot where it is.

According to the article it’s not really visible to the naked eye unless you really know where to look…and I suspect you need a good imagination too.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 18:18:28
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993101
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

I agree. Probably not a 5 minute sky-gaze, unlike the great comet a few years back.

The mossies will send me back in before I spot where it is.

According to the article it’s not really visible to the naked eye unless you really know where to look…and I suspect you need a good imagination too.

Well. I’ve got the latter but my eyes aren’t what they used to be. I wouldn’t expect to see more than a fuzzy blob.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 18:19:22
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993102
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Michael V said:

buffy said:

It seems you need a lot of fancy gear and a lot of processing know how for this comet.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-11/pictures-of-the-green-comet-from-around-the-world/101961458

I agree. Probably not a 5 minute sky-gaze, unlike the great comet a few years back.

The mossies will send me back in before I spot where it is.

https://aussieoutbacksupplies.com/product/aos-mosquito-head-net/

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 18:19:52
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1993103
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

It seems you need a lot of fancy gear and a lot of processing know how for this comet.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-11/pictures-of-the-green-comet-from-around-the-world/101961458

I agree. Probably not a 5 minute sky-gaze, unlike the great comet a few years back.

Martin Grasl · 2 h ·
Last night I had a Comet viewing session from the backyard in Rossmoyne with friends. We found the comet fairly easily and watched it for a couple of hours till after 10 pm. My setup was a Zwarovsky spotting scope mounted on an Ioptron Hem 27 ec mount. Later in the evening as it got a little darker I could see a faint green tinge around the diffuse comet head. Best not to look directly at the comet but to use peripheral vision. This gives better contrast. It was fun. Definitely not as bright as Comet Leonard last year but still a starry messenger that needs to be observed and acknowledged since it has come from the Oort Cloud.

The mount just makes it easier to find being a GOTO. swarovski spotting scope.

If you just want a look then a good pair of binocs would suffice. Taking pics does entail more dedicated gear.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 18:20:25
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993104
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

I agree. Probably not a 5 minute sky-gaze, unlike the great comet a few years back.

The mossies will send me back in before I spot where it is.

https://aussieoutbacksupplies.com/product/aos-mosquito-head-net/

I need to buy one before next trip to Gundaroo.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 18:21:24
From: Michael V
ID: 1993105
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

It seems you need a lot of fancy gear and a lot of processing know how for this comet.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-11/pictures-of-the-green-comet-from-around-the-world/101961458

I agree. Probably not a 5 minute sky-gaze, unlike the great comet a few years back.

Comet McNaught – the Great Comet of 2007.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 18:23:01
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993106
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Michael V said:

buffy said:

It seems you need a lot of fancy gear and a lot of processing know how for this comet.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-11/pictures-of-the-green-comet-from-around-the-world/101961458

I agree. Probably not a 5 minute sky-gaze, unlike the great comet a few years back.

Comet McNaught – the Great Comet of 2007.

At its closest approach it was huge in the sky.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 18:23:43
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993107
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

I agree. Probably not a 5 minute sky-gaze, unlike the great comet a few years back.

The mossies will send me back in before I spot where it is.

https://aussieoutbacksupplies.com/product/aos-mosquito-head-net/

You need it from head to ankles.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 18:25:00
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993108
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

roughbarked said:

The mossies will send me back in before I spot where it is.

https://aussieoutbacksupplies.com/product/aos-mosquito-head-net/

You need it from head to ankles.

Yes.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 18:25:03
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993109
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The premier’s brothers and two others were issued with the legal summons after they failed to respond to invitations to give evidence to the inquiry, in what the committee’s chair Sue Higginson describes as a coordinated attempt to avoid scrutiny.

NSW parliamentary inquiry takes ‘very serious’ step of requiring premier’s brothers to give evidence to Hills Shire Council inquiry

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 18:50:19
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993114
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

On just a 25 sqm block, antique restorer Sayman Ibraham’s “labour of love” behind a famous brothel is believed to be Sydney’s smallest house.

But it’s just achieved a record-breaking price.

Sold via BresicWhitney’s Brigitte Blackman and Darren Pearce, the one-bedroom terrace at 21 Little Riley St, Surry Hills fetched a whopping $1.5m — $300,000 above the price guide for the planned February 25 auction.

The stunning result sets a Surry Hills record for a one bedroom house with no parking on such a small block and equates to $60,000 per sqm.

more…

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/sydneys-smallest-house-sells-for-recordbreaking-price/

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 19:00:05
From: Michael V
ID: 1993117
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


On just a 25 sqm block, antique restorer Sayman Ibraham’s “labour of love” behind a famous brothel is believed to be Sydney’s smallest house.

But it’s just achieved a record-breaking price.

Sold via BresicWhitney’s Brigitte Blackman and Darren Pearce, the one-bedroom terrace at 21 Little Riley St, Surry Hills fetched a whopping $1.5m — $300,000 above the price guide for the planned February 25 auction.

The stunning result sets a Surry Hills record for a one bedroom house with no parking on such a small block and equates to $60,000 per sqm.

more…

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/sydneys-smallest-house-sells-for-recordbreaking-price/

Housing crisis? What housing crisis?

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 19:03:13
From: Michael V
ID: 1993118
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

On just a 25 sqm block, antique restorer Sayman Ibraham’s “labour of love” behind a famous brothel is believed to be Sydney’s smallest house.

But it’s just achieved a record-breaking price.

Sold via BresicWhitney’s Brigitte Blackman and Darren Pearce, the one-bedroom terrace at 21 Little Riley St, Surry Hills fetched a whopping $1.5m — $300,000 above the price guide for the planned February 25 auction.

The stunning result sets a Surry Hills record for a one bedroom house with no parking on such a small block and equates to $60,000 per sqm.

more…

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/sydneys-smallest-house-sells-for-recordbreaking-price/

Housing crisis? What housing crisis?

Looks to be a mirror image of the terrace next door.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 19:03:35
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993119
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


On just a 25 sqm block, antique restorer Sayman Ibraham’s “labour of love” behind a famous brothel is believed to be Sydney’s smallest house.

But it’s just achieved a record-breaking price.

Sold via BresicWhitney’s Brigitte Blackman and Darren Pearce, the one-bedroom terrace at 21 Little Riley St, Surry Hills fetched a whopping $1.5m — $300,000 above the price guide for the planned February 25 auction.

The stunning result sets a Surry Hills record for a one bedroom house with no parking on such a small block and equates to $60,000 per sqm.

more…

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/sydneys-smallest-house-sells-for-recordbreaking-price/

Yes, it is tiny, but liveable.

I like the little outside area next to the kitchen.

I sense nice cooking smells.

Kitchen is compact but very useable.

Bathroom is nice.

Looks like roof access of some kind.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 19:04:23
From: buffy
ID: 1993120
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

On just a 25 sqm block, antique restorer Sayman Ibraham’s “labour of love” behind a famous brothel is believed to be Sydney’s smallest house.

But it’s just achieved a record-breaking price.

Sold via BresicWhitney’s Brigitte Blackman and Darren Pearce, the one-bedroom terrace at 21 Little Riley St, Surry Hills fetched a whopping $1.5m — $300,000 above the price guide for the planned February 25 auction.

The stunning result sets a Surry Hills record for a one bedroom house with no parking on such a small block and equates to $60,000 per sqm.

more…

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/sydneys-smallest-house-sells-for-recordbreaking-price/

Housing crisis? What housing crisis?

Looks to be a mirror image of the terrace next door.

I see he is proud of the stairs. I think they are a horrible accident waiting to happen.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 19:05:49
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993122
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

On just a 25 sqm block, antique restorer Sayman Ibraham’s “labour of love” behind a famous brothel is believed to be Sydney’s smallest house.

But it’s just achieved a record-breaking price.

Sold via BresicWhitney’s Brigitte Blackman and Darren Pearce, the one-bedroom terrace at 21 Little Riley St, Surry Hills fetched a whopping $1.5m — $300,000 above the price guide for the planned February 25 auction.

The stunning result sets a Surry Hills record for a one bedroom house with no parking on such a small block and equates to $60,000 per sqm.

more…

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/sydneys-smallest-house-sells-for-recordbreaking-price/

Housing crisis? What housing crisis?

Looks to be a mirror image of the terrace next door.

perhaps next door wasn’t a brothel.they seem to be playing with the idea of a ‘house.’

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 19:07:35
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993124
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


sarahs mum said:

On just a 25 sqm block, antique restorer Sayman Ibraham’s “labour of love” behind a famous brothel is believed to be Sydney’s smallest house.

But it’s just achieved a record-breaking price.

Sold via BresicWhitney’s Brigitte Blackman and Darren Pearce, the one-bedroom terrace at 21 Little Riley St, Surry Hills fetched a whopping $1.5m — $300,000 above the price guide for the planned February 25 auction.

The stunning result sets a Surry Hills record for a one bedroom house with no parking on such a small block and equates to $60,000 per sqm.

more…

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/sydneys-smallest-house-sells-for-recordbreaking-price/

Yes, it is tiny, but liveable.

I like the little outside area next to the kitchen.

I sense nice cooking smells.

Kitchen is compact but very useable.

Bathroom is nice.

Looks like roof access of some kind.

very busy brothel over the back fence. But they do do everything for privacy. they once parked a semi in front of the entrance and paid motzas in parking fines.

one of my friends worked there as a handy man.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 19:16:08
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993125
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Michael V said:

Michael V said:

Housing crisis? What housing crisis?

Looks to be a mirror image of the terrace next door.

perhaps next door wasn’t a brothel.they seem to be playing with the idea of a ‘house.’

The property behind the house is the sex club.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 19:18:06
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993127
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

sarahs mum said:

On just a 25 sqm block, antique restorer Sayman Ibraham’s “labour of love” behind a famous brothel is believed to be Sydney’s smallest house.

But it’s just achieved a record-breaking price.

Sold via BresicWhitney’s Brigitte Blackman and Darren Pearce, the one-bedroom terrace at 21 Little Riley St, Surry Hills fetched a whopping $1.5m — $300,000 above the price guide for the planned February 25 auction.

The stunning result sets a Surry Hills record for a one bedroom house with no parking on such a small block and equates to $60,000 per sqm.

more…

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/sydneys-smallest-house-sells-for-recordbreaking-price/

Yes, it is tiny, but liveable.

I like the little outside area next to the kitchen.

I sense nice cooking smells.

Kitchen is compact but very useable.

Bathroom is nice.

Looks like roof access of some kind.

very busy brothel over the back fence. But they do do everything for privacy. they once parked a semi in front of the entrance and paid motzas in parking fines.

one of my friends worked there as a handy man.

I like the kitchen and outdoor area very much.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 19:29:44
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993128
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A piece of the sun broke off.

I think it fell down again.

A swirling vortex of matter.

Hopefully it fell down.

And its not drifting towards us.

That would not be good.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 19:39:31
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993132
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

One of those websites I visited, Time.com

Has ads that resize the page and all the text shifts with it.

What is it with page layout and desktop publishing these days?.

Readability takes a hit, you loose your concentration.

The whole page moves around. Their compositing is terrible.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 19:40:46
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993134
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


One of those websites I visited, Time.com

Has ads that resize the page and all the text shifts with it.

What is it with page layout and desktop publishing these days?.

Readability takes a hit, you loose your concentration.

The whole page moves around. Their compositing is terrible.

Give them money to stop it.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 19:53:01
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993139
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

One of those websites I visited, Time.com

Has ads that resize the page and all the text shifts with it.

What is it with page layout and desktop publishing these days?.

Readability takes a hit, you loose your concentration.

The whole page moves around. Their compositing is terrible.

Give them money to stop it.

I would end up spending millions of dollars just to read text that is still.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 19:59:59
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993140
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

One of those websites I visited, Time.com

Has ads that resize the page and all the text shifts with it.

What is it with page layout and desktop publishing these days?.

Readability takes a hit, you loose your concentration.

The whole page moves around. Their compositing is terrible.

Give them money to stop it.

I would end up spending millions of dollars just to read text that is still.

:)

I simply didtched the page and didn’t waste my time on it.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 20:01:56
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993141
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Give them money to stop it.

I would end up spending millions of dollars just to read text that is still.

:)

I simply didtched the page and didn’t waste my time on it.

I copied and pasted the text into notepad.

so the text wouldn’t jump up and down like a yo-yo.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 20:05:41
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1993143
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Give them money to stop it.

I would end up spending millions of dollars just to read text that is still.

:)

I simply didtched the page and didn’t waste my time on it.

No problems at all.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 20:26:18
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993145
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

MOSFET – The Most significant invention of the 20th Century

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 20:33:11
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993146
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Had one of these on my car just a few days ago.

The joys of living in Australia

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 20:37:01
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993147
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Had one of these on my car just a few days ago.

The joys of living in Australia

They are everywhere.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 20:37:48
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993148
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Saturn has 63 confirmed moons. So far.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 20:38:03
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993149
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Had one of these on my car just a few days ago.

The joys of living in Australia

They are everywhere.

Yes all over the place.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 20:38:27
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993150
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Saturn has 63 confirmed moons. So far.

It just moons about the place.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 20:40:26
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993151
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Russia donates 30 vehicles to Ukraine

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 20:40:48
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993152
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Saturn has 63 confirmed moons. So far.

It just moons about the place.

Yes they are all over the place.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 20:45:57
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993154
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Someone did a video diagram.

Saturn has 63 confirmed moons. So far.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 21:59:41
From: furious
ID: 1993172
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dramatic footage has captured the moment an unearthed WWII bomb exploded while experts worked to defuse it – with huge blast heard miles away.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 22:05:04
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993174
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

furious said:


Dramatic footage has captured the moment an unearthed WWII bomb exploded while experts worked to defuse it – with huge blast heard miles away.

Then to everyones horror it stopped ticking after all this time.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 22:06:23
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993175
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

this went past on my Facebook. Marianne had shared it.

💥BQQQQQQQMMM💥 You’ve been lied to about skin cancer as well. Skin cancer arose when they introduced toxic food and sunscreen.
Whoola you’ve got skin cancer. If you eat healthy food with all the nutrients that you need and you don’t lather yourself with toxic lotions loaded with aluminum (aka sunscreen). You don’t get skin cancer.
Natural sunscreens are the following:
- Cocoa butter unrefined and organic
- Sheabutter unrefined and organic
https://t.me/QExposedQ

To wit I replied…

Ros Meeker
Video flagged as false information. My mother had numerous skin cancers removed. Never used sunscreen. Made food from scratch.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 22:13:10
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993178
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


this went past on my Facebook. Marianne had shared it.

💥BQQQQQQQMMM💥 You’ve been lied to about skin cancer as well. Skin cancer arose when they introduced toxic food and sunscreen.
Whoola you’ve got skin cancer. If you eat healthy food with all the nutrients that you need and you don’t lather yourself with toxic lotions loaded with aluminum (aka sunscreen). You don’t get skin cancer.
Natural sunscreens are the following:
- Cocoa butter unrefined and organic
- Sheabutter unrefined and organic
https://t.me/QExposedQ

To wit I replied…

Ros Meeker
Video flagged as false information. My mother had numerous skin cancers removed. Never used sunscreen. Made food from scratch.

Poor grammar in that woo, it should start:

💥BQQQQQQQMMM💥 You’re about to be lied to about skin cancer.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 22:15:11
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993179
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

this went past on my Facebook. Marianne had shared it.

💥BQQQQQQQMMM💥 You’ve been lied to about skin cancer as well. Skin cancer arose when they introduced toxic food and sunscreen.
Whoola you’ve got skin cancer. If you eat healthy food with all the nutrients that you need and you don’t lather yourself with toxic lotions loaded with aluminum (aka sunscreen). You don’t get skin cancer.
Natural sunscreens are the following:
- Cocoa butter unrefined and organic
- Sheabutter unrefined and organic
https://t.me/QExposedQ

To wit I replied…

Ros Meeker
Video flagged as false information. My mother had numerous skin cancers removed. Never used sunscreen. Made food from scratch.

Poor grammar in that woo, it should start:

💥BQQQQQQQMMM💥 You’re about to be lied to about skin cancer.

It was nice to see that it had been flagged as false info before it got to me.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 22:17:20
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993181
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

this went past on my Facebook. Marianne had shared it.

💥BQQQQQQQMMM💥 You’ve been lied to about skin cancer as well. Skin cancer arose when they introduced toxic food and sunscreen.
Whoola you’ve got skin cancer. If you eat healthy food with all the nutrients that you need and you don’t lather yourself with toxic lotions loaded with aluminum (aka sunscreen). You don’t get skin cancer.
Natural sunscreens are the following:
- Cocoa butter unrefined and organic
- Sheabutter unrefined and organic
https://t.me/QExposedQ

To wit I replied…

Ros Meeker
Video flagged as false information. My mother had numerous skin cancers removed. Never used sunscreen. Made food from scratch.

Poor grammar in that woo, it should start:

💥BQQQQQQQMMM💥 You’re about to be lied to about skin cancer.

It was nice to see that it had been flagged as false info before it got to me.

Fact Check-Evidence shows sun exposure, not diet, causes skin cancers

By Reuters Fact Check

6 Min Read

Social media posts claiming that sun exposure does not cause skin cancer, but poor diet does, contradict the large body of evidence showing that ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun does have a direct carcinogenic effect on cells in the skin and is a leading cause of skin cancers.

Posts on multiple platforms by the same individual claim that poor diet, not the sun, causes melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers. On Instagram, that person writes, “The sun doesn’t give you skin cancer, the foods you consume & what you put on your skin does” (here).
instagram-image-CbU0swRurrk

On Facebook, in a post shared and quoted by others (here) and (here), the same person writes, “The uncomfortable truth for the medical industry is that sun does not cause cancer” (here). The post is headlined, “Don’t blame the sun for what seed oils, nutrient deficiencies and sunscreen have done.”

The Facebook post features an excerpt from an undated video featuring a person identified as a doctor making similar claims. In the video, she responds to a question from an interviewer about whether the sun causes skin cancer by describing an animal study at Baylor University as having shown that animals exposed to UV light but fed a healthy diet did not develop cancer while animals with the same UV exposure fed “a typical American diet” did develop skin cancers. “It’s the way we’re eating,” the doctor says, adding that “skin cancer is a relatively new phenomenon in the past 60 years or so.”

A Baylor University spokesperson told Reuters there is no record of such a study having been conducted at the institution.

The claims that sunlight does not cause cancer, that certain foods do, and that skin cancers are a modern phenomenon disagree with substantial evidence that UV radiation in sunlight directly causes skin cancers, that no foods have been shown to cause skin cancers, and that skin cancers were occurring well before the 20th century.

Cancer has been recognized for thousands of years, and understanding of skin cancers accelerated with the advent of the microscope, according to a history of skin cancer published in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology (here). Non-melanoma skin cancers have been studied since the 1820s and in 1804, a French physician was the first to describe melanoma in the medical literature (doi.org/10.3121%2Fcmr.4.3.230).

Skin cancer rates are rising, and the increase is associated with changes in lifestyles, such as increased UV exposure through tanning (here).

There is ample evidence that UV radiation in sunlight directly damages DNA in skin cells, initiating a cancer-causing process, and that certain toxins and even viruses can cause similar, direct DNA damage (doi.org/10.1039/C5PP00185D). Diseases that impair natural DNA repair can also make someone more vulnerable to developing cancers as a result of such damage.

Certain foods or nutrients are thought to potentially offset or even help to repair UV damage to cells by combatting so-called free radicals (here), lowering inflammation and supporting DNA repair mechanisms (here), (here) , (here), (here), as well as generally supporting the immune system.

There is no evidence to date that unhealthy diets or consumption of any specific nutrients alone are direct causes of skin cancers, according to a recent review of existing research on associations between food and multiple cancer types published in the journal Nature Communications (here).

Reuters has previously factchecked claims that toxins in sunscreens cause more deaths than sun exposure (here).
VERDICT

False. There is no evidence to support claims that sunlight does not cause skin cancer, that foods do, or that skin cancer is a modern phenomenon, and there’s no evidence that a cited animal study ever took place at Baylor University or that its results would have supported these claims.

This article was produced by the Reuters Fact Check team. Read more about our work to fact-check social media posts here .

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 22:17:49
From: transition
ID: 1993182
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

listening the original bluesy version of beatles revolution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmsXsIv2Ppw

not remember ever hearing it

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 22:20:56
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993183
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


listening the original bluesy version of beatles revolution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmsXsIv2Ppw

not remember ever hearing it

i remember.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 22:23:55
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993184
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Coles are convinced I want to buy shedloads of chocolates for Valentine’s Day.

They’re offering half price chocs PLUS $25 OFF if I spend more than $100.

But I won’t be buying any.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 22:26:47
From: transition
ID: 1993186
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


transition said:

listening the original bluesy version of beatles revolution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmsXsIv2Ppw

not remember ever hearing it

i remember.

quite few on the white album never heard

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 22:33:19
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993188
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


sarahs mum said:

transition said:

listening the original bluesy version of beatles revolution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmsXsIv2Ppw

not remember ever hearing it

i remember.

quite few on the white album never heard

quite a lot of the white album was non memorable on the first listen.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 22:43:24
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993191
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Coles are convinced I want to buy shedloads of chocolates for Valentine’s Day.

They’re offering half price chocs PLUS $25 OFF if I spend more than $100.

But I won’t be buying any.

….while the Early Music Shop is offering me a Valentine’s Day discount on this fine baroque guitar after Marianita by Matias Crom.

$632 off but I’d have to find the other $5,512.

I should tell all these merchants: You know what the initials of Valentine’s Day are? That’s right, VD.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 22:46:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993193
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 22:48:20
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993195
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:



or screw a civilian instead.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 23:34:45
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993198
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:


or screw a civilian instead.

Seems a bit apocalyptic and hopeless really.

OUR WARNINGS TO THE TROOPS TOTALLY FAILED. EVERY MAN IN UNIFORM NOW HAS VD.

YOUR ONLY HOPE NOW IS TO AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 23:40:07
From: transition
ID: 1993200
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

goes out has me a look for a waning gibbous shortly, the rising

finish this coffee

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2023 23:53:35
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993203
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


transition said:

listening the original bluesy version of beatles revolution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmsXsIv2Ppw

not remember ever hearing it

i remember.

I was there too.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 00:04:55
From: transition
ID: 1993208
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

finds’t, the rising waning gibbous

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 00:22:28
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993214
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Time for some work in the studio.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 01:59:01
From: dv
ID: 1993222
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 02:25:21
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993223
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:



I don’t know but if you spot any bear shit, that’ll be a clue.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 02:28:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993224
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Well the tiles are putty-rubbed as best can be done, and the floorboards are underway.

No turning back now.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 06:54:14
From: buffy
ID: 1993231
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 12 degrees, overcast and still. We are forecast 20 degrees with a possible morning shower. Thursday still has a forecast for 37, so I’ll be enjoying today and tomorrow for the coolth. I’m quite happy for Summer not to be hitting 40 for several days in a row periodically.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 08:17:23
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1993237
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Had to happen at some point.

Lawyer dies after he is shot by gun that was triggered by MRI scanner.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/lawyer-dies-after-he-is-shot-by-gun-that-was-triggered-by-mri-scanner/AVXLS5PGDZC7PL4HZUIT3EDURU/

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 08:22:22
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993238
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Had to happen at some point.

Lawyer dies after he is shot by gun that was triggered by MRI scanner.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/lawyer-dies-after-he-is-shot-by-gun-that-was-triggered-by-mri-scanner/AVXLS5PGDZC7PL4HZUIT3EDURU/

Why don’t people listen to sensible advice?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 09:14:26
From: Michael V
ID: 1993264
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Had to happen at some point.

Lawyer dies after he is shot by gun that was triggered by MRI scanner.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/lawyer-dies-after-he-is-shot-by-gun-that-was-triggered-by-mri-scanner/AVXLS5PGDZC7PL4HZUIT3EDURU/

Deer-o-deer.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 09:18:56
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993268
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’ve hardly got any hearing left so I was interested in reading about why people use subtitles even though they aren’t hard of hearing. It was satisfactory to find that my assumptions were close enough to correct about why I had trouble hearing the content of the plot.
Hpowever, if more and more people are using subtitles, perhaps it is time to actually make a standard where the subtitles can actually be read in their entireity. My eyes aren’t as good as they used to be either but the subtitles are as difficult to read fully as the voices are to distinguish from other sounds.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/subtitles-popular-among-general-population-change-tv-film/101956758

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 09:21:00
From: Tamb
ID: 1993271
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


I’ve hardly got any hearing left so I was interested in reading about why people use subtitles even though they aren’t hard of hearing. It was satisfactory to find that my assumptions were close enough to correct about why I had trouble hearing the content of the plot.
Hpowever, if more and more people are using subtitles, perhaps it is time to actually make a standard where the subtitles can actually be read in their entireity. My eyes aren’t as good as they used to be either but the subtitles are as difficult to read fully as the voices are to distinguish from other sounds.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/subtitles-popular-among-general-population-change-tv-film/101956758

SBS subtitles are very easy to read.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 09:23:13
From: transition
ID: 1993274
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I was awake too early, a perfect way to ruin what otherwise would have been an ideal sleepin

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 09:23:32
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993275
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


roughbarked said:

I’ve hardly got any hearing left so I was interested in reading about why people use subtitles even though they aren’t hard of hearing. It was satisfactory to find that my assumptions were close enough to correct about why I had trouble hearing the content of the plot.
Hpowever, if more and more people are using subtitles, perhaps it is time to actually make a standard where the subtitles can actually be read in their entireity. My eyes aren’t as good as they used to be either but the subtitles are as difficult to read fully as the voices are to distinguish from other sounds.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/subtitles-popular-among-general-population-change-tv-film/101956758

SBS subtitles are very easy to read.

Not all. There are yellow and there are white texts. The yellow is easier to read but against the background images, words just drop out and cannot be read before they disappear. The ABC use Yellow and it is sufficiently behind the sound to allow your perception to be ready for the text.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 09:25:41
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993277
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


I was awake too early, a perfect way to ruin what otherwise would have been an ideal sleepin

Heh. I managed both. Be up well before the sun and to snag a sleep in until there was some light.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 09:26:31
From: Tamb
ID: 1993278
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tamb said:

roughbarked said:

I’ve hardly got any hearing left so I was interested in reading about why people use subtitles even though they aren’t hard of hearing. It was satisfactory to find that my assumptions were close enough to correct about why I had trouble hearing the content of the plot.
Hpowever, if more and more people are using subtitles, perhaps it is time to actually make a standard where the subtitles can actually be read in their entireity. My eyes aren’t as good as they used to be either but the subtitles are as difficult to read fully as the voices are to distinguish from other sounds.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/subtitles-popular-among-general-population-change-tv-film/101956758

SBS subtitles are very easy to read.

Not all. There are yellow and there are white texts. The yellow is easier to read but against the background images, words just drop out and cannot be read before they disappear. The ABC use Yellow and it is sufficiently behind the sound to allow your perception to be ready for the text.


All SBS generated text is yellow. Some things they show have text already on them, these are generally white.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 09:26:59
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993279
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


roughbarked said:

Tamb said:

SBS subtitles are very easy to read.

Not all. There are yellow and there are white texts. The yellow is easier to read but against the background images, words just drop out and cannot be read before they disappear. The ABC use Yellow and it is sufficiently behind the sound to allow your perception to be ready for the text.


All SBS generated text is yellow. Some things they show have text already on them, these are generally white.

Yes.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 09:27:48
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993280
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tamb said:

roughbarked said:

I’ve hardly got any hearing left so I was interested in reading about why people use subtitles even though they aren’t hard of hearing. It was satisfactory to find that my assumptions were close enough to correct about why I had trouble hearing the content of the plot.
Hpowever, if more and more people are using subtitles, perhaps it is time to actually make a standard where the subtitles can actually be read in their entireity. My eyes aren’t as good as they used to be either but the subtitles are as difficult to read fully as the voices are to distinguish from other sounds.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/subtitles-popular-among-general-population-change-tv-film/101956758

SBS subtitles are very easy to read.

Not all. There are yellow and there are white texts. The yellow is easier to read but against the background images, words just drop out and cannot be read before they disappear. The ABC use Yellow and it is sufficiently behind the sound to allow your perception to be ready for the text.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 09:29:14
From: Tamb
ID: 1993282
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


transition said:

I was awake too early, a perfect way to ruin what otherwise would have been an ideal sleepin

Heh. I managed both. Be up well before the sun and to snag a sleep in until there was some light.


I woke at 4:15. Couldn’t get back to sleep so read for a while, went back to sleep until 7:00.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 09:29:18
From: transition
ID: 1993283
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tamb said:

roughbarked said:

I’ve hardly got any hearing left so I was interested in reading about why people use subtitles even though they aren’t hard of hearing. It was satisfactory to find that my assumptions were close enough to correct about why I had trouble hearing the content of the plot.
Hpowever, if more and more people are using subtitles, perhaps it is time to actually make a standard where the subtitles can actually be read in their entireity. My eyes aren’t as good as they used to be either but the subtitles are as difficult to read fully as the voices are to distinguish from other sounds.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/subtitles-popular-among-general-population-change-tv-film/101956758

SBS subtitles are very easy to read.

Not all. There are yellow and there are white texts. The yellow is easier to read but against the background images, words just drop out and cannot be read before they disappear. The ABC use Yellow and it is sufficiently behind the sound to allow your perception to be ready for the text.

good in a busy house with lots of chatter, I find if I turn the TV up louder people start talking louder, sort of runaway competition between, until the TV is at maximum loudness, pictures are falling off the walls, the occupants are screaming at each other, and police are at the door with multiple noise complaints from neighbors

well, not quite that bad, I made some of that up

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 09:31:58
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993285
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


roughbarked said:

transition said:

I was awake too early, a perfect way to ruin what otherwise would have been an ideal sleepin

Heh. I managed both. Be up well before the sun and to snag a sleep in until there was some light.


I woke at 4:15. Couldn’t get back to sleep so read for a while, went back to sleep until 7:00.

I cleaned up the mess from the evening before and went back to bed for an extra hour.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 10:33:51
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993306
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning Pilgrims.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 10:34:58
From: buffy
ID: 1993307
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

MV! MV! New Death in Paradise tonight on ABC.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 10:55:15
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993309
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Things that didn’t happen on this day.
Not on this day in 1959 rock ‘n’ roller Buddy Holly, along with Ritchie Valens and “The Big Bopper” J.P. Richardson, died in a plane crash in Iowa.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 10:57:18
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1993310
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Things that didn’t happen on this day.
Not on this day in 1959 rock ‘n’ roller Buddy Holly, along with Ritchie Valens and “The Big Bopper” J.P. Richardson, died in a plane crash in Iowa.

the day the music died…

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 11:21:28
From: Michael V
ID: 1993316
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


MV! MV! New Death in Paradise tonight on ABC.

Ooh-ah.

Ta.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 11:22:15
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1993317
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

In big font:

Introducing the new Bing. Your AI-powered copilot for the web

In little font:

Once you’ve cleared the waitlist, you’ll need to download the Microsoft Edge Dev preview build to experience the new Bing.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 11:26:05
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993318
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


In big font:

Introducing the new Bing. Your AI-powered copilot for the web

In little font:

Once you’ve cleared the waitlist, you’ll need to download the Microsoft Edge Dev preview build to experience the new Bing.

Will it be as good and successful as the old Bing?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 11:28:03
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1993320
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

In big font:

Introducing the new Bing. Your AI-powered copilot for the web

In little font:

Once you’ve cleared the waitlist, you’ll need to download the Microsoft Edge Dev preview build to experience the new Bing.

Will it be as good and successful as the old Bing?

Almost certainly not!

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 11:30:12
From: Tamb
ID: 1993321
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Peak Warming Man said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

In big font:

Introducing the new Bing. Your AI-powered copilot for the web

In little font:

Once you’ve cleared the waitlist, you’ll need to download the Microsoft Edge Dev preview build to experience the new Bing.

Will it be as good and successful as the old Bing?

Almost certainly not!

Bing. Go!

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 11:30:37
From: buffy
ID: 1993322
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/snowy-2-0-this-hole-is-above-a-stuck-tunnel-boring-machine/101957418

That’s quite a big machine they have got stuck there.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 11:31:46
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993324
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Danny’s not getting any thinner.

Danny Malin dubs Leeds Jamaican restaurant ‘heaven’ but can’t get past ‘devil food’

The Rate My Takeaway star tried Chef Shabbas Kitchen in Brudenell Road and said the food was ‘amazing’ and had a ‘wow’ factor

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/best-in-leeds/restaurants-bars/danny-malin-dubs-headingley-jamaican-26179378

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 11:37:15
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1993327
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/snowy-2-0-this-hole-is-above-a-stuck-tunnel-boring-machine/101957418

That’s quite a big machine they have got stuck there.

It seems the hole wasn’t the only thing to collapse

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 11:42:44
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993331
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/snowy-2-0-this-hole-is-above-a-stuck-tunnel-boring-machine/101957418

That’s quite a big machine they have got stuck there.

They are big machines alright.
The ones they used to bore the Chunnel were just left there.
When they finished drilling the tunnel they then drilled themselves off to the side and that was it.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 11:46:05
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993334
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


buffy said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/snowy-2-0-this-hole-is-above-a-stuck-tunnel-boring-machine/101957418

That’s quite a big machine they have got stuck there.

It seems the hole wasn’t the only thing to collapse

Did a lot of work for Clough over the years.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 11:47:43
From: dv
ID: 1993337
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/snowy-2-0-this-hole-is-above-a-stuck-tunnel-boring-machine/101957418

That’s quite a big machine they have got stuck there.

About 50% of my work since starting my company has been related to finding stable paths for boring machines: between the Scylla of too-hard metamorphosed granite and the Charybdis of slightly weathered that will collapse.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 11:49:51
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993341
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

MV! MV! New Death in Paradise tonight on ABC.

Ooh-ah.

Ta.

:)

Thankee.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 11:51:35
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993342
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

So what’s the forum’s opinion on these small objects? What are they?

US warplane shoots down unidentified object flying over northern Canada on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s orders

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/canada-airspace-unidentified-object-shot-down/101962786

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 11:52:02
From: Michael V
ID: 1993344
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Danny’s not getting any thinner.

Danny Malin dubs Leeds Jamaican restaurant ‘heaven’ but can’t get past ‘devil food’

The Rate My Takeaway star tried Chef Shabbas Kitchen in Brudenell Road and said the food was ‘amazing’ and had a ‘wow’ factor

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/best-in-leeds/restaurants-bars/danny-malin-dubs-headingley-jamaican-26179378


A couple of blocks from our house in Jamaica was a roadside stall that sold jerk pork to die for at night. Cooked on wire mesh over half forty-four gallon drums filled with smoky wood and hot coals. Gosh it was lovely. Sometimes we would buy some and have it eaten before we got home and have to go back for more.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 11:53:57
From: dv
ID: 1993347
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


So what’s the forum’s opinion on these small objects? What are they?

US warplane shoots down unidentified object flying over northern Canada on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s orders

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/canada-airspace-unidentified-object-shot-down/101962786

“Small cylindrical object”

Be very interested to learn what the heck it is.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 11:59:45
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993353
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Bubblecar said:

So what’s the forum’s opinion on these small objects? What are they?

US warplane shoots down unidentified object flying over northern Canada on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s orders

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/canada-airspace-unidentified-object-shot-down/101962786

“Small cylindrical object”

Be very interested to learn what the heck it is.

I’m assuming they’re high altitude drones of some kind. A similar one was shot down over the US.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:00:32
From: Michael V
ID: 1993355
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


buffy said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/snowy-2-0-this-hole-is-above-a-stuck-tunnel-boring-machine/101957418

That’s quite a big machine they have got stuck there.

They are big machines alright.
The ones they used to bore the Chunnel were just left there.
When they finished drilling the tunnel they then drilled themselves off to the side and that was it.

Same with the Clem7 tunnel in Brisbane. Two $90 M machines abandoned and concreted in underground.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:02:42
From: Michael V
ID: 1993357
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


buffy said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/snowy-2-0-this-hole-is-above-a-stuck-tunnel-boring-machine/101957418

That’s quite a big machine they have got stuck there.

About 50% of my work since starting my company has been related to finding stable paths for boring machines: between the Scylla of too-hard metamorphosed granite and the Charybdis of slightly weathered that will collapse.

Nice.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:04:24
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993359
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

Danny’s not getting any thinner.

Danny Malin dubs Leeds Jamaican restaurant ‘heaven’ but can’t get past ‘devil food’

The Rate My Takeaway star tried Chef Shabbas Kitchen in Brudenell Road and said the food was ‘amazing’ and had a ‘wow’ factor

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/best-in-leeds/restaurants-bars/danny-malin-dubs-headingley-jamaican-26179378


A couple of blocks from our house in Jamaica was a roadside stall that sold jerk pork to die for at night. Cooked on wire mesh over half forty-four gallon drums filled with smoky wood and hot coals. Gosh it was lovely. Sometimes we would buy some and have it eaten before we got home and have to go back for more.

I have not et jamaican.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:05:16
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1993361
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:

dv said:

Bubblecar said:

So what’s the forum’s opinion on these small objects? What are they?

US warplane shoots down unidentified object flying over northern Canada on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s orders

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/canada-airspace-unidentified-object-shot-down/101962786

“Small cylindrical object”

Be very interested to learn what the heck it is.

I’m assuming they’re high altitude drones of some kind. A similar one was shot down over the US.

chaff sticks

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:05:18
From: Michael V
ID: 1993362
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


So what’s the forum’s opinion on these small objects? What are they?

US warplane shoots down unidentified object flying over northern Canada on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s orders

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/canada-airspace-unidentified-object-shot-down/101962786

I could make a guess, as could anyone, but it would still be just a guess.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:06:15
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993363
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

So what’s the forum’s opinion on these small objects? What are they?

US warplane shoots down unidentified object flying over northern Canada on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s orders

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/canada-airspace-unidentified-object-shot-down/101962786

I could make a guess, as could anyone, but it would still be just a guess.

and that’s the start of our guessing game.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:06:33
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993364
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

‘Britain’s filthiest home’ sells for £115,000 more than its £60,000 guide price

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/britains-filthiest-home-sells-115000-26216677

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:09:55
From: dv
ID: 1993367
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


dv said:

Bubblecar said:

So what’s the forum’s opinion on these small objects? What are they?

US warplane shoots down unidentified object flying over northern Canada on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s orders

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/canada-airspace-unidentified-object-shot-down/101962786

“Small cylindrical object”

Be very interested to learn what the heck it is.

I’m assuming they’re high altitude drones of some kind. A similar one was shot down over the US.

Seems strange that they’d be cylindrical but what would I know

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:10:38
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993368
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Bubblecar said:

dv said:

“Small cylindrical object”

Be very interested to learn what the heck it is.

I’m assuming they’re high altitude drones of some kind. A similar one was shot down over the US.

Seems strange that they’d be cylindrical but what would I know

Enough to think it strange?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:15:59
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1993371
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Bubblecar said:

dv said:

“Small cylindrical object”

Be very interested to learn what the heck it is.

I’m assuming they’re high altitude drones of some kind. A similar one was shot down over the US.

Seems strange that they’d be cylindrical but what would I know

If it’s just an unpowered balloon it makes no sense, but if it’s got a solar-powered electric motor or some other device to move it deliberately in various directions a cylinder makes sense due to less aerodynamic drag.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:21:58
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993373
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


dv said:

Bubblecar said:

I’m assuming they’re high altitude drones of some kind. A similar one was shot down over the US.

Seems strange that they’d be cylindrical but what would I know

If it’s just an unpowered balloon it makes no sense, but if it’s got a solar-powered electric motor or some other device to move it deliberately in various directions a cylinder makes sense due to less aerodynamic drag.

This makes more sense, yes.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:22:06
From: Michael V
ID: 1993374
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

Danny’s not getting any thinner.

Danny Malin dubs Leeds Jamaican restaurant ‘heaven’ but can’t get past ‘devil food’

The Rate My Takeaway star tried Chef Shabbas Kitchen in Brudenell Road and said the food was ‘amazing’ and had a ‘wow’ factor

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/best-in-leeds/restaurants-bars/danny-malin-dubs-headingley-jamaican-26179378


A couple of blocks from our house in Jamaica was a roadside stall that sold jerk pork to die for at night. Cooked on wire mesh over half forty-four gallon drums filled with smoky wood and hot coals. Gosh it was lovely. Sometimes we would buy some and have it eaten before we got home and have to go back for more.

I have not et jamaican.

It’s interesting. European herbs meet South American spices and tropical fruits with maritime salted food like 400 years ago and Indian curries thrown into the mix. The national dish is Ackee and salt-fish. Breadfruit (roasted and warm) with saltfish and chilli sauce was being eaten at the mine around the clock. Lots of citrus, mangoes, avocadoes etc.

Shops sold curries (chicken or goat – called mutton – or pork, never beef), paddies (small pasties) and Bun-and-cheese.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:22:46
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993375
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:25:14
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993377
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

Michael V said:

A couple of blocks from our house in Jamaica was a roadside stall that sold jerk pork to die for at night. Cooked on wire mesh over half forty-four gallon drums filled with smoky wood and hot coals. Gosh it was lovely. Sometimes we would buy some and have it eaten before we got home and have to go back for more.

I have not et jamaican.

It’s interesting. European herbs meet South American spices and tropical fruits with maritime salted food like 400 years ago and Indian curries thrown into the mix. The national dish is Ackee and salt-fish. Breadfruit (roasted and warm) with saltfish and chilli sauce was being eaten at the mine around the clock. Lots of citrus, mangoes, avocadoes etc.

Shops sold curries (chicken or goat – called mutton – or pork, never beef), paddies (small pasties) and Bun-and-cheese.

what’s breadfruit like?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:26:14
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993378
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

So what’s the forum’s opinion on these small objects? What are they?

US warplane shoots down unidentified object flying over northern Canada on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s orders

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/canada-airspace-unidentified-object-shot-down/101962786

I could make a guess, as could anyone, but it would still be just a guess.

Most likely a Chinese spy drone testing Canadian and American response capability.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:26:30
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993379
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

I have not et jamaican.

It’s interesting. European herbs meet South American spices and tropical fruits with maritime salted food like 400 years ago and Indian curries thrown into the mix. The national dish is Ackee and salt-fish. Breadfruit (roasted and warm) with saltfish and chilli sauce was being eaten at the mine around the clock. Lots of citrus, mangoes, avocadoes etc.

Shops sold curries (chicken or goat – called mutton – or pork, never beef), paddies (small pasties) and Bun-and-cheese.

what’s breadfruit like?

Starchy.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:27:05
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993380
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


‘Britain’s filthiest home’ sells for £115,000 more than its £60,000 guide price

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/britains-filthiest-home-sells-115000-26216677


Burn it.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:31:17
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993383
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Bubblecar said:

‘Britain’s filthiest home’ sells for £115,000 more than its £60,000 guide price

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/britains-filthiest-home-sells-115000-26216677


Burn it.

Nuke it from space, just to be sure.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:33:57
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993386
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:

It’s interesting. European herbs meet South American spices and tropical fruits with maritime salted food like 400 years ago and Indian curries thrown into the mix. The national dish is Ackee and salt-fish. Breadfruit (roasted and warm) with saltfish and chilli sauce was being eaten at the mine around the clock. Lots of citrus, mangoes, avocadoes etc.

Shops sold curries (chicken or goat – called mutton – or pork, never beef), paddies (small pasties) and Bun-and-cheese.

You get something similar with food from Mauritius.

A blend of French, English, African, Middle Eastern and Indian cooking and influences, with some input from SE Asia.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:37:55
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993387
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

So what’s the forum’s opinion on these small objects? What are they?

US warplane shoots down unidentified object flying over northern Canada on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s orders

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/canada-airspace-unidentified-object-shot-down/101962786

I could make a guess, as could anyone, but it would still be just a guess.

Most likely a Chinese spy drone testing Canadian and American response capability.

Or Russian

but with the Chinese balloon also testing response capability I’m going with the Chinese drone.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:44:28
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1993390
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



Paul, Mick and David

But who are the other three?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:47:17
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993394
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


sarahs mum said:


Paul, Mick and David

But who are the other three?

i know. but I won’t say for a while.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:47:55
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993395
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


sarahs mum said:


Paul, Mick and David

But who are the other three?


Mark Knopfler is in the back or is it ?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:48:11
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993396
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Michael V said:

It’s interesting. European herbs meet South American spices and tropical fruits with maritime salted food like 400 years ago and Indian curries thrown into the mix. The national dish is Ackee and salt-fish. Breadfruit (roasted and warm) with saltfish and chilli sauce was being eaten at the mine around the clock. Lots of citrus, mangoes, avocadoes etc.

Shops sold curries (chicken or goat – called mutton – or pork, never beef), paddies (small pasties) and Bun-and-cheese.

You get something similar with food from Mauritius.

A blend of French, English, African, Middle Eastern and Indian cooking and influences, with some input from SE Asia.

Sounds awesome.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:49:05
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993398
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

sarahs mum said:


Paul, Mick and David

But who are the other three?


Mark Knopfler is in the back or is it ?

yep.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:51:49
From: Michael V
ID: 1993399
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

I have not et jamaican.

It’s interesting. European herbs meet South American spices and tropical fruits with maritime salted food like 400 years ago and Indian curries thrown into the mix. The national dish is Ackee and salt-fish. Breadfruit (roasted and warm) with saltfish and chilli sauce was being eaten at the mine around the clock. Lots of citrus, mangoes, avocadoes etc.

Shops sold curries (chicken or goat – called mutton – or pork, never beef), paddies (small pasties) and Bun-and-cheese.

what’s breadfruit like?

It has the colour, texture and taste of partly-cooked white bread dough. You don’t eat the thick and hard skin, which is usually covered in tropical black mould and further blackens when roasted in coals.

Of course I forgot to mention above: jerk pork and chicken.

And I forgot to mention my favourite fruit there – guinep. You crack the thin, hard skin with your teeth and spit the cracked-off cap out. You then suck the pulp and large seed into your mouth and spend the next fifteen minutes sucking the pulp off. Lovely flavour, similar to a lychee.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:52:45
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993401
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


roughbarked said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Paul, Mick and David

But who are the other three?


Mark Knopfler is in the back or is it ?

yep.

Could that be Sting next to him?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:52:46
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993402
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


sarahs mum said:


Paul, Mick and David

But who are the other three?

Dozy, Beaky & Tich

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:53:06
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1993403
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


roughbarked said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Paul, Mick and David

But who are the other three?


Mark Knopfler is in the back or is it ?

yep.

It says it’s 1986, and the two back right look pretty young, so I’ll excuse myself for not recognising them.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:54:53
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993404
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

sarahs mum said:


Paul, Mick and David

But who are the other three?

Dozy, Beaky & Tich

:) and they were a legend together.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:55:41
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993405
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


captain_spalding said:

Michael V said:

It’s interesting. European herbs meet South American spices and tropical fruits with maritime salted food like 400 years ago and Indian curries thrown into the mix. The national dish is Ackee and salt-fish. Breadfruit (roasted and warm) with saltfish and chilli sauce was being eaten at the mine around the clock. Lots of citrus, mangoes, avocadoes etc.

Shops sold curries (chicken or goat – called mutton – or pork, never beef), paddies (small pasties) and Bun-and-cheese.

You get something similar with food from Mauritius.

A blend of French, English, African, Middle Eastern and Indian cooking and influences, with some input from SE Asia.

Sounds awesome.

It’s never dull.

Have a look here:

https://mauritianfoodrecipes.com/all-recipes/

if you haven’t had lunch yet, you’ll be looking for it after you check out these recipes.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 12:57:09
From: Michael V
ID: 1993408
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Michael V said:

It’s interesting. European herbs meet South American spices and tropical fruits with maritime salted food like 400 years ago and Indian curries thrown into the mix. The national dish is Ackee and salt-fish. Breadfruit (roasted and warm) with saltfish and chilli sauce was being eaten at the mine around the clock. Lots of citrus, mangoes, avocadoes etc.

Shops sold curries (chicken or goat – called mutton – or pork, never beef), paddies (small pasties) and Bun-and-cheese.

You get something similar with food from Mauritius.

A blend of French, English, African, Middle Eastern and Indian cooking and influences, with some input from SE Asia.

Thanks for that info.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:01:14
From: Michael V
ID: 1993409
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

sarahs mum said:


Paul, Mick and David

But who are the other three?

Dozy, Beaky & Tich

LOLOLOL

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:06:31
From: buffy
ID: 1993410
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Bubblecar said:

So what’s the forum’s opinion on these small objects? What are they?

US warplane shoots down unidentified object flying over northern Canada on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s orders

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/canada-airspace-unidentified-object-shot-down/101962786

“Small cylindrical object”

Be very interested to learn what the heck it is.

Red herrings. Or Shiny Things.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:08:43
From: Michael V
ID: 1993411
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Peak Warming Man said:

captain_spalding said:

You get something similar with food from Mauritius.

A blend of French, English, African, Middle Eastern and Indian cooking and influences, with some input from SE Asia.

Sounds awesome.

It’s never dull.

Have a look here:

https://mauritianfoodrecipes.com/all-recipes/

if you haven’t had lunch yet, you’ll be looking for it after you check out these recipes.

Thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:13:06
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993412
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


dv said:

Bubblecar said:

So what’s the forum’s opinion on these small objects? What are they?

US warplane shoots down unidentified object flying over northern Canada on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s orders

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/canada-airspace-unidentified-object-shot-down/101962786

“Small cylindrical object”

Be very interested to learn what the heck it is.

Red herrings. Or Shiny Things.

Purportedly the object:

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:14:24
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993413
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


buffy said:

dv said:

“Small cylindrical object”

Be very interested to learn what the heck it is.

Red herrings. Or Shiny Things.

Purportedly the object:


God almighty, thank God it never went off.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:14:44
From: party_pants
ID: 1993414
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/abc-trailblazer-try-our-high-school-pop-quiz/101899234

8/8 – the rabbits one was a guess, but I got the rest.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:16:19
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993415
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

If these things are going to be appearing regularly, i wonder if the Americans and Canadians will try to develop some sort of in-flight capture method for them, like they used to do with the film capsules from the early Discoverer satellites.

Would be better to scoop them up intact than have them hit the ground from 12,000 metres.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:16:49
From: buffy
ID: 1993416
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


buffy said:

dv said:

“Small cylindrical object”

Be very interested to learn what the heck it is.

Red herrings. Or Shiny Things.

Purportedly the object:


So, Shiny Thing then…

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:18:19
From: party_pants
ID: 1993417
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


buffy said:

dv said:

“Small cylindrical object”

Be very interested to learn what the heck it is.

Red herrings. Or Shiny Things.

Purportedly the object:


It looks a bit 1970s.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:18:19
From: Tamb
ID: 1993418
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


captain_spalding said:

buffy said:

Red herrings. Or Shiny Things.

Purportedly the object:


So, Shiny Thing then…

:)


Possibly both as communists are referred to as Reds.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:20:44
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993419
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/abc-trailblazer-try-our-high-school-pop-quiz/101899234

8/8 – the rabbits one was a guess, but I got the rest.

Did that earlier and got 7.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:22:16
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993420
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/abc-trailblazer-try-our-high-school-pop-quiz/101899234

8/8 – the rabbits one was a guess, but I got the rest.

The rabbit question was a trick question because rabbits were here from 1788 and reintroduced several times. However it wasn’t until Thomas Austin asked his brother to send him some wild rabbits for hunting, that his brother substituted some domestic rabbits to make up for the shortfall of wld rabbits in the number of 24 requested. It was the resulting hybrid between wild and domestic, that thrived in Australian conditions.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:22:49
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993421
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


captain_spalding said:

buffy said:

Red herrings. Or Shiny Things.

Purportedly the object:


So, Shiny Thing then…

:)

Shiny phallic object.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:29:50
From: buffy
ID: 1993422
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


buffy said:

captain_spalding said:

Purportedly the object:


So, Shiny Thing then…

:)


Possibly both as communists are referred to as Reds.

There is an assumption being made about the Chineseness of these.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:30:01
From: party_pants
ID: 1993423
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


party_pants said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/abc-trailblazer-try-our-high-school-pop-quiz/101899234

8/8 – the rabbits one was a guess, but I got the rest.

The rabbit question was a trick question because rabbits were here from 1788 and reintroduced several times. However it wasn’t until Thomas Austin asked his brother to send him some wild rabbits for hunting, that his brother substituted some domestic rabbits to make up for the shortfall of wld rabbits in the number of 24 requested. It was the resulting hybrid between wild and domestic, that thrived in Australian conditions.

I’d like to commission a public lavatory in honour of Thomas Austin.
Bastard.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:31:54
From: Tamb
ID: 1993424
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Tamb said:

buffy said:

So, Shiny Thing then…

:)


Possibly both as communists are referred to as Reds.

There is an assumption being made about the Chineseness of these.


North Korea is also communist.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:32:09
From: party_pants
ID: 1993425
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Tamb said:

buffy said:

So, Shiny Thing then…

:)


Possibly both as communists are referred to as Reds.

There is an assumption being made about the Chineseness of these.

The options are pretty limited for an object flying over the arctic regions towards North America. Russia, China, North Korea … and ?? Can’t think of anyone else.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:32:23
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993426
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Perched on a banana flower, this bromeliad spider in La Maná, Ecuador, waits patiently for an unlucky pollinator to drop by.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:32:59
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993427
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:34:17
From: Tamb
ID: 1993428
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Perched on a banana flower, this bromeliad spider in La Maná, Ecuador, waits patiently for an unlucky pollinator to drop by.


I almost read that as politician.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:36:15
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993430
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Tamb said:

buffy said:

So, Shiny Thing then…

:)


Possibly both as communists are referred to as Reds.

There is an assumption being made about the Chineseness of these.

As yet, I’ve made no such assumptions nor assertions.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:37:27
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993431
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


roughbarked said:

party_pants said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/abc-trailblazer-try-our-high-school-pop-quiz/101899234

8/8 – the rabbits one was a guess, but I got the rest.

The rabbit question was a trick question because rabbits were here from 1788 and reintroduced several times. However it wasn’t until Thomas Austin asked his brother to send him some wild rabbits for hunting, that his brother substituted some domestic rabbits to make up for the shortfall of wld rabbits in the number of 24 requested. It was the resulting hybrid between wild and domestic, that thrived in Australian conditions.

I’d like to commission a public lavatory in honour of Thomas Austin.
Bastard.

Faeces be upon him.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:38:23
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993432
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


buffy said:

Tamb said:

Possibly both as communists are referred to as Reds.

There is an assumption being made about the Chineseness of these.


North Korea is also communist.

and having a higher likelyhood of having a missile reach the American continent.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:39:32
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993433
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Perched on a banana flower, this bromeliad spider in La Maná, Ecuador, waits patiently for an unlucky pollinator to drop by.

A photo to die for. Don’t know how many times I look for a photo op like that and not find it.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:39:53
From: Michael V
ID: 1993434
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


buffy said:

dv said:

“Small cylindrical object”

Be very interested to learn what the heck it is.

Red herrings. Or Shiny Things.

Purportedly the object:


The first or second Arctic object?

Whatever it is, it looks weird.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:39:53
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1993435
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


party_pants said:

roughbarked said:

The rabbit question was a trick question because rabbits were here from 1788 and reintroduced several times. However it wasn’t until Thomas Austin asked his brother to send him some wild rabbits for hunting, that his brother substituted some domestic rabbits to make up for the shortfall of wld rabbits in the number of 24 requested. It was the resulting hybrid between wild and domestic, that thrived in Australian conditions.

I’d like to commission a public lavatory in honour of Thomas Austin.
Bastard.

Faeces be upon him.

How about a rubbish tip instead?

Like Mt Cleese in NZ.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:40:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993436
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:



That’s a seriously good lens.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:40:44
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993437
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


PermeateFree said:

Perched on a banana flower, this bromeliad spider in La Maná, Ecuador, waits patiently for an unlucky pollinator to drop by.


I almost read that as politician.

Oh wouldn’t that be loverly, loverly..

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:41:27
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993438
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Think I’ve mentioned it before but the current batch of peaches at coles are sweet and juicy and very nom nom.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:42:12
From: Michael V
ID: 1993439
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Perched on a banana flower, this bromeliad spider in La Maná, Ecuador, waits patiently for an unlucky pollinator to drop by.

Like.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:42:31
From: party_pants
ID: 1993440
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


roughbarked said:

party_pants said:

I’d like to commission a public lavatory in honour of Thomas Austin.
Bastard.

Faeces be upon him.

How about a rubbish tip instead?

Like Mt Cleese in NZ.

Nah, a toilet is good. All the toilet bowls can be in the shape of his head.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:42:38
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993441
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


roughbarked said:

party_pants said:

I’d like to commission a public lavatory in honour of Thomas Austin.
Bastard.

Faeces be upon him.

How about a rubbish tip instead?

Like Mt Cleese in NZ.

Yeah but so much about Cleese is rubbish and everything abput Thomas Austin is pure shit.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:42:48
From: Michael V
ID: 1993442
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:



:)

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:42:57
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993443
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Think I’ve mentioned it before but the current batch of peaches at coles are sweet and juicy and very nom nom.

white or yellow flesh?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:43:16
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993444
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Think I’ve mentioned it before but the current batch of peaches at coles are sweet and juicy and very nom nom.

Lucky bastid.. most of the ones I purchase, I should not have bothered.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:43:17
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993445
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Think I’ve mentioned it before but the current batch of peaches at coles are sweet and juicy and very nom nom.

Yellow ones or white ones?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:44:47
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993446
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Think I’ve mentioned it before but the current batch of peaches at coles are sweet and juicy and very nom nom.

Yellow ones or white ones?

He was on about white peaches the last time he brought this up. and as buffy pointed out, look on the box for the farmer’s name. He must be closer to you than your supermart is.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:45:33
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993447
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Think I’ve mentioned it before but the current batch of peaches at coles are sweet and juicy and very nom nom.

Yellow ones or white ones?

White.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:45:41
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1993448
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Think I’ve mentioned it before but the current batch of peaches at coles are sweet and juicy and very nom nom.

Yellow ones or white ones?

There are white ones,
There are yellow ones,
And they’re all made out of ticky tacky,
And they all taste just the same.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:46:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993449
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Think I’ve mentioned it before but the current batch of peaches at coles are sweet and juicy and very nom nom.

Lucky bastid.. most of the ones I purchase, I should not have bothered.

It is not like the old days when I could jump over any farmer’s fence and get windfalls that were delicious.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:47:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993450
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Think I’ve mentioned it before but the current batch of peaches at coles are sweet and juicy and very nom nom.

Yellow ones or white ones?

White.

They’re both on special in Tas but probably won’t be by the time I do my Coles order next week.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:48:05
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993451
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Bubblecar said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Think I’ve mentioned it before but the current batch of peaches at coles are sweet and juicy and very nom nom.

Yellow ones or white ones?

There are white ones,
There are yellow ones,
And they’re all made out of ticky tacky,
And they all taste just the same.

As a person tasked with grafting all these ticky tacky chricket balls, I am guilty your honour of making money to feed and educate my kids in order for this shyte to end up on your supermart shelves.

But hey, I was only following orders.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:48:39
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1993452
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Bubblecar said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Think I’ve mentioned it before but the current batch of peaches at coles are sweet and juicy and very nom nom.

Yellow ones or white ones?

There are white ones,
There are yellow ones,
And they’re all made out of ticky tacky,
And they all taste just the same.

and I’ve just discovered that Little Boxes was written by Malvina Reynolds not Pete Seeger.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:48:53
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993453
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Think I’ve mentioned it before but the current batch of peaches at coles are sweet and juicy and very nom nom.

Yellow ones or white ones?

White.

Same in Woolies. Have stopped getting the yellow fleshed ones as they don’t seem to ripen these days, whilst the white fleshed ones do a treat. Think some batches of yellow fleshed ones are canning peaches.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:49:02
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993454
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Think I’ve mentioned it before but the current batch of peaches at coles are sweet and juicy and very nom nom.

Lucky bastid.. most of the ones I purchase, I should not have bothered.

It is not like the old days when I could jump over any farmer’s fence and get windfalls that were delicious.

A windfall to me always meant a windfall, I never thought about it’s derivation, ta.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:50:50
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993455
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Bubblecar said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Think I’ve mentioned it before but the current batch of peaches at coles are sweet and juicy and very nom nom.

Yellow ones or white ones?

There are white ones,
There are yellow ones,
And they’re all made out of ticky tacky,
And they all taste just the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUoXtddNPAM

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:52:44
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1993456
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I posted a link to an ABC video explaining how to pick and store stone fruit. I used to find that they were hard and not juicy. Then I followed the recommendations of this video. I found they turned out beautifully.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:53:45
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993457
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

Bubblecar said:

Yellow ones or white ones?

There are white ones,
There are yellow ones,
And they’re all made out of ticky tacky,
And they all taste just the same.

and I’ve just discovered that Little Boxes was written by Malvina Reynolds not Pete Seeger.

I knew that but I’m surprised you didn’t.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:54:37
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1993458
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

Bubblecar said:

Yellow ones or white ones?

There are white ones,
There are yellow ones,
And they’re all made out of ticky tacky,
And they all taste just the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUoXtddNPAM

That sounds familiar, now I listen to it, so I guess I heard her sing it before.

But Thanks for the link :)

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:54:39
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993459
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

Lucky bastid.. most of the ones I purchase, I should not have bothered.

It is not like the old days when I could jump over any farmer’s fence and get windfalls that were delicious.

A windfall to me always meant a windfall, I never thought about it’s derivation, ta.

:) there’s always lots to learn. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:55:47
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993460
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


I posted a link to an ABC video explaining how to pick and store stone fruit. I used to find that they were hard and not juicy. Then I followed the recommendations of this video. I found they turned out beautifully.

Now you should send your data to colesworth and the woolpullers.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:56:46
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1993461
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/choosing-the-best-stone-fruit-thanh-truong-fruit-nerd/101886772

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 13:57:31
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993462
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/choosing-the-best-stone-fruit-thanh-truong-fruit-nerd/101886772

It iis well worth the education indeed for those whom previously had no idea.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:02:58
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993463
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

O fwhite peaches, the best time to pick them is when you have to drink them off the tree. MY FiL would travel to Calorafield to his wife’s mother’s farm to pick her peaches and bring them back. He’d be very careful picking them and he would lay the first layer down on a few potato sacks with Syd morn heralds on top then each layer would have a syd morn H between it to stop or at least try and prevent bruising. This was a peach that an hour after you picked it, where your fingertips touched, would show up as bruises.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:03:07
From: party_pants
ID: 1993464
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

So in the space of a week, the F-22 Raptor has achieved 3 air-to-air kills. Up from 0.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:04:18
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993465
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/choosing-the-best-stone-fruit-thanh-truong-fruit-nerd/101886772

Not much good if the fruit won’t ripen. Maybe it was refrigerated when frighted to Esperance, don’t know.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:05:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993466
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


So in the space of a week, the F-22 Raptor has achieved 3 air-to-air kills. Up from 0.

It is like there’s a war on. However, each pilot has so far, only got one.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:05:56
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993467
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


JudgeMental said:

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/choosing-the-best-stone-fruit-thanh-truong-fruit-nerd/101886772

Not much good if the fruit won’t ripen. Maybe it was refrigerated when frighted to Esperance, don’t know.

No maybe’s about it. It is indeed about how far you are from the tree.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:06:38
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993468
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


So in the space of a week, the F-22 Raptor has achieved 3 air-to-air kills. Up from 0.

A Sopwith Pup could probably have the same strike rate.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:07:25
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1993469
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


JudgeMental said:

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/choosing-the-best-stone-fruit-thanh-truong-fruit-nerd/101886772

Not much good if the fruit won’t ripen. Maybe it was refrigerated when frighted to Esperance, don’t know.

leave it out of the fridge when you bring it home and it ripens nicely. Experiment done.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:07:29
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993470
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


party_pants said:

So in the space of a week, the F-22 Raptor has achieved 3 air-to-air kills. Up from 0.

A Sopwith Pup could probably have the same strike rate.

and it didn’t even have a gun synchronised to fire between the propellor blades?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:07:30
From: party_pants
ID: 1993471
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I tend to buy my fresh fruit and veg at Spudshed. Not really into Coles or Woolies for that stuff, it tends to make long trips from the east coast to end up on a shelf here. Local produce seems to last a bit longer.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:08:10
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993472
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


PermeateFree said:

JudgeMental said:

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/choosing-the-best-stone-fruit-thanh-truong-fruit-nerd/101886772

Not much good if the fruit won’t ripen. Maybe it was refrigerated when frighted to Esperance, don’t know.

leave it out of the fridge when you bring it home and it ripens nicely. Experiment done.

Again, it depends on how long the fruit was in a fridge before it got to you.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:08:33
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993473
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


I tend to buy my fresh fruit and veg at Spudshed. Not really into Coles or Woolies for that stuff, it tends to make long trips from the east coast to end up on a shelf here. Local produce seems to last a bit longer.

This.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:08:49
From: party_pants
ID: 1993475
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


party_pants said:

So in the space of a week, the F-22 Raptor has achieved 3 air-to-air kills. Up from 0.

A Sopwith Pup could probably have the same strike rate.

The human in the open cockpit might struggle a bit at 40,000+ feet.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:09:25
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993476
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


PermeateFree said:

JudgeMental said:

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/choosing-the-best-stone-fruit-thanh-truong-fruit-nerd/101886772

Not much good if the fruit won’t ripen. Maybe it was refrigerated when frighted to Esperance, don’t know.

leave it out of the fridge when you bring it home and it ripens nicely. Experiment done.

Don’t put them in the fridge at all. Possibly they had been in a refrigerated truck that was too cold.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:09:34
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993477
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


JudgeMental said:

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/choosing-the-best-stone-fruit-thanh-truong-fruit-nerd/101886772

Not much good if the fruit won’t ripen. Maybe it was refrigerated when frighted to Esperance, don’t know.

Just noticed your mention of ‘frighted’. Very apt typo.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:09:49
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1993478
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


JudgeMental said:

PermeateFree said:

Not much good if the fruit won’t ripen. Maybe it was refrigerated when frighted to Esperance, don’t know.

leave it out of the fridge when you bring it home and it ripens nicely. Experiment done.

Again, it depends on how long the fruit was in a fridge before it got to you.

I am just saying what is working for me. I used to stew them to get them soft. Now I leave them out for 3-4 days and they are very juicy and soft. they won’t ripen in the fridge.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:10:55
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993480
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Peak Warming Man said:

party_pants said:

So in the space of a week, the F-22 Raptor has achieved 3 air-to-air kills. Up from 0.

A Sopwith Pup could probably have the same strike rate.

The human in the open cockpit might struggle a bit at 40,000+ feet.

Too late. He’d have been dead after 10,000.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:11:23
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993481
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


JudgeMental said:

PermeateFree said:

Not much good if the fruit won’t ripen. Maybe it was refrigerated when frighted to Esperance, don’t know.

leave it out of the fridge when you bring it home and it ripens nicely. Experiment done.

Don’t put them in the fridge at all. Possibly they had been in a refrigerated truck that was too cold.

Add in, picked too green to ever ripen.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:12:11
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993483
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


roughbarked said:

JudgeMental said:

leave it out of the fridge when you bring it home and it ripens nicely. Experiment done.

Again, it depends on how long the fruit was in a fridge before it got to you.

I am just saying what is working for me. I used to stew them to get them soft. Now I leave them out for 3-4 days and they are very juicy and soft. they won’t ripen in the fridge.

They cannot continue the ripening process in the fridge.
Though I know I am repeating the obvious.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:12:29
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993484
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


PermeateFree said:

JudgeMental said:

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/choosing-the-best-stone-fruit-thanh-truong-fruit-nerd/101886772

Not much good if the fruit won’t ripen. Maybe it was refrigerated when frighted to Esperance, don’t know.

Just noticed your mention of ‘frighted’. Very apt typo.

Damn auto-correct. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:12:49
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1993486
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


PermeateFree said:

JudgeMental said:

leave it out of the fridge when you bring it home and it ripens nicely. Experiment done.

Don’t put them in the fridge at all. Possibly they had been in a refrigerated truck that was too cold.

Add in, picked too green to ever ripen.

the video tells you how to pick the right fruit at the store.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:13:39
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993487
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


roughbarked said:

PermeateFree said:

Not much good if the fruit won’t ripen. Maybe it was refrigerated when frighted to Esperance, don’t know.

Just noticed your mention of ‘frighted’. Very apt typo.

Damn auto-correct. :)

Maybe it has a sensauma?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:14:05
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993488
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


roughbarked said:

PermeateFree said:

Don’t put them in the fridge at all. Possibly they had been in a refrigerated truck that was too cold.

Add in, picked too green to ever ripen.

the video tells you how to pick the right fruit at the store.

I knew all of that before video was invented.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:14:23
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993489
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


roughbarked said:

JudgeMental said:

leave it out of the fridge when you bring it home and it ripens nicely. Experiment done.

Again, it depends on how long the fruit was in a fridge before it got to you.

I am just saying what is working for me. I used to stew them to get them soft. Now I leave them out for 3-4 days and they are very juicy and soft. they won’t ripen in the fridge.

Yep, I just buy about 4 at a time and put them in the fruit bowl, they are good to go in a fe days.
Cuppla days, beautful.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:14:46
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1993491
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


JudgeMental said:

roughbarked said:

Add in, picked too green to ever ripen.

the video tells you how to pick the right fruit at the store.

I knew all of that before video was invented.

yes, of course you did.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:15:19
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993492
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


PermeateFree said:

JudgeMental said:

leave it out of the fridge when you bring it home and it ripens nicely. Experiment done.

Don’t put them in the fridge at all. Possibly they had been in a refrigerated truck that was too cold.

Add in, picked too green to ever ripen.

That’s crossed my mind too as the yellow fleshed ones seem to be the bigger seller. They used to be good but in the last 2-3 years have gone down hill.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:16:06
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993493
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


JudgeMental said:

roughbarked said:

Again, it depends on how long the fruit was in a fridge before it got to you.

I am just saying what is working for me. I used to stew them to get them soft. Now I leave them out for 3-4 days and they are very juicy and soft. they won’t ripen in the fridge.

Yep, I just buy about 4 at a time and put them in the fruit bowl, they are good to go in a fe days.
Cuppla days, beautful.

If you pick up the fruit you want and have a good sense of smell, they will ripen in the line you set them down in the bowl.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:16:34
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993494
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


roughbarked said:

JudgeMental said:

the video tells you how to pick the right fruit at the store.

I knew all of that before video was invented.

yes, of course you did.

Well I was quite well grown by then.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:19:21
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993495
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

JudgeMental said:

I am just saying what is working for me. I used to stew them to get them soft. Now I leave them out for 3-4 days and they are very juicy and soft. they won’t ripen in the fridge.

Yep, I just buy about 4 at a time and put them in the fruit bowl, they are good to go in a fe days.
Cuppla days, beautful.

If you pick up the fruit you want and have a good sense of smell, they will ripen in the line you set them down in the bowl.

I think with the big stores the whole batch has been picked together with much the same stage of ripeness.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:20:58
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993497
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Yep, I just buy about 4 at a time and put them in the fruit bowl, they are good to go in a fe days.
Cuppla days, beautful.

If you pick up the fruit you want and have a good sense of smell, they will ripen in the line you set them down in the bowl.

I think with the big stores the whole batch has been picked together with much the same stage of ripeness.

Each bin is the same. However, the supermarts constanly have people checking and substituiing new fruit for the stuff they take out.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:22:00
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993498
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


PermeateFree said:

roughbarked said:

If you pick up the fruit you want and have a good sense of smell, they will ripen in the line you set them down in the bowl.

I think with the big stores the whole batch has been picked together with much the same stage of ripeness.

Each bin is the same. However, the supermarts constanly have people checking and substituiing new fruit for the stuff they take out.

A bin is between 5 and 7 hundred kilos.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:22:17
From: buffy
ID: 1993499
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


buffy said:

Tamb said:

Possibly both as communists are referred to as Reds.

There is an assumption being made about the Chineseness of these.

The options are pretty limited for an object flying over the arctic regions towards North America. Russia, China, North Korea … and ?? Can’t think of anyone else.

Could be themselves.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:24:19
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993501
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


party_pants said:

buffy said:

There is an assumption being made about the Chineseness of these.

The options are pretty limited for an object flying over the arctic regions towards North America. Russia, China, North Korea … and ?? Can’t think of anyone else.

Could be themselves.

A false flag? Maybe the Republicans did it?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:24:57
From: buffy
ID: 1993502
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Think I’ve mentioned it before but the current batch of peaches at coles are sweet and juicy and very nom nom.

This morning I found Quite A Few peach pips around the backyard. This indicates that the possums have decided the peaches are ripe. So there has been tree shaking and peach collecting. I’ll let them ripen a bit more inside. I want to eat at least some of them. I’ve stewed a couple of small serves to have cold peaches and cream for dessert tonight.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:26:01
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993504
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Think I’ve mentioned it before but the current batch of peaches at coles are sweet and juicy and very nom nom.

This morning I found Quite A Few peach pips around the backyard. This indicates that the possums have decided the peaches are ripe. So there has been tree shaking and peach collecting. I’ll let them ripen a bit more inside. I want to eat at least some of them. I’ve stewed a couple of small serves to have cold peaches and cream for dessert tonight.

Sharing is caring. ;)

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:26:45
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993506
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Think I’ve mentioned it before but the current batch of peaches at coles are sweet and juicy and very nom nom.

This morning I found Quite A Few peach pips around the backyard. This indicates that the possums have decided the peaches are ripe. So there has been tree shaking and peach collecting. I’ll let them ripen a bit more inside. I want to eat at least some of them. I’ve stewed a couple of small serves to have cold peaches and cream for dessert tonight.

Sharing is caring. ;)

Back on white peaches, the variety I was trying to recall is; Wickson.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:28:49
From: buffy
ID: 1993509
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


PermeateFree said:

JudgeMental said:

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/choosing-the-best-stone-fruit-thanh-truong-fruit-nerd/101886772

Not much good if the fruit won’t ripen. Maybe it was refrigerated when frighted to Esperance, don’t know.

leave it out of the fridge when you bring it home and it ripens nicely. Experiment done.

You can do this for pears too. Much more palatable yellow than green. (Williams pears)

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:30:18
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993511
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


PermeateFree said:

roughbarked said:

If you pick up the fruit you want and have a good sense of smell, they will ripen in the line you set them down in the bowl.

I think with the big stores the whole batch has been picked together with much the same stage of ripeness.

Each bin is the same. However, the supermarts constanly have people checking and substituiing new fruit for the stuff they take out.

No, they just put out the trayed boxes and change with a new box, probably from the same batch.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:31:28
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993514
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


JudgeMental said:

PermeateFree said:

Not much good if the fruit won’t ripen. Maybe it was refrigerated when frighted to Esperance, don’t know.

leave it out of the fridge when you bring it home and it ripens nicely. Experiment done.

You can do this for pears too. Much more palatable yellow than green. (Williams pears)

Apples and pears ripen better in the dark.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:32:14
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993515
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


roughbarked said:

PermeateFree said:

I think with the big stores the whole batch has been picked together with much the same stage of ripeness.

Each bin is the same. However, the supermarts constanly have people checking and substituiing new fruit for the stuff they take out.

A bin is between 5 and 7 hundred kilos.

They don’t transport peaches for retail sale like that. They are all in shallow boxes and individually placed in a plastic compartmented tray.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:34:55
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993518
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

Each bin is the same. However, the supermarts constanly have people checking and substituiing new fruit for the stuff they take out.

A bin is between 5 and 7 hundred kilos.

They don’t transport peaches for retail sale like that. They are all in shallow boxes and individually placed in a plastic compartmented tray.

How much have you worked around fruit orchards? They do eventually get into trays, yes. ;()

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:35:03
From: party_pants
ID: 1993519
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

party_pants said:

The options are pretty limited for an object flying over the arctic regions towards North America. Russia, China, North Korea … and ?? Can’t think of anyone else.

Could be themselves.

A false flag? Maybe the Republicans did it?

they wouldn’t be clever enough to build one.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:35:32
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993520
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

Could be themselves.

A false flag? Maybe the Republicans did it?

they wouldn’t be clever enough to build one.

I’ll happily pay that comment.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:38:04
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993521
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


PermeateFree said:

roughbarked said:

A bin is between 5 and 7 hundred kilos.

They don’t transport peaches for retail sale like that. They are all in shallow boxes and individually placed in a plastic compartmented tray.

How much have you worked around fruit orchards? They do eventually get into trays, yes. ;()

The pile of peaches that will never get to travel anywhere is usually three times as high as the ones they take out to travel.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:39:18
From: buffy
ID: 1993522
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

This morning I found Quite A Few peach pips around the backyard. This indicates that the possums have decided the peaches are ripe. So there has been tree shaking and peach collecting. I’ll let them ripen a bit more inside. I want to eat at least some of them. I’ve stewed a couple of small serves to have cold peaches and cream for dessert tonight.

Sharing is caring. ;)

Back on white peaches, the variety I was trying to recall is; Wickson.

I think mine are Fragar. I had to guess.I grew it from a cutting of an old straggly tree in the Casterton garden. The tree never did well there, but my cutting, which is planted on Bess’ grave here in Penshurst, is good. Seems to have on and off years though, but that probably depends on how vicious I was with the pruning. This year is an on year. Hard prune 2 years ago. It’s due to have some hard pruning over some of the canopy this coming pruning season.

Wickson is not mentioned in my fruit growing bible (Glowinski). Are you sure about that name? A search for Wickson comes up with a plum with that varietal name.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:41:27
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993523
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


roughbarked said:

PermeateFree said:

They don’t transport peaches for retail sale like that. They are all in shallow boxes and individually placed in a plastic compartmented tray.

How much have you worked around fruit orchards? They do eventually get into trays, yes. ;()

The pile of peaches that will never get to travel anywhere is usually three times as high as the ones they take out to travel.

In the cannery, the ladies are picking out the not so nice and rotty bits and tossing them onto another conveyor. At the end of that conveyor is a lone person changing every 10 litre can under the crushed outfall.
Because at one stage in my life, I did stand there doing that, I did ask, what do you do with this? The answer, “that goes for baby food”.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:41:40
From: buffy
ID: 1993524
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

Could be themselves.

A false flag? Maybe the Republicans did it?

they wouldn’t be clever enough to build one.

They aren’t all hicks.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:42:27
From: buffy
ID: 1993525
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

How much have you worked around fruit orchards? They do eventually get into trays, yes. ;()

The pile of peaches that will never get to travel anywhere is usually three times as high as the ones they take out to travel.

In the cannery, the ladies are picking out the not so nice and rotty bits and tossing them onto another conveyor. At the end of that conveyor is a lone person changing every 10 litre can under the crushed outfall.
Because at one stage in my life, I did stand there doing that, I did ask, what do you do with this? The answer, “that goes for baby food”.

I’m calling shenanigans on that.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:44:40
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993526
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

Sharing is caring. ;)

Back on white peaches, the variety I was trying to recall is; Wickson.

I think mine are Fragar. I had to guess.I grew it from a cutting of an old straggly tree in the Casterton garden. The tree never did well there, but my cutting, which is planted on Bess’ grave here in Penshurst, is good. Seems to have on and off years though, but that probably depends on how vicious I was with the pruning. This year is an on year. Hard prune 2 years ago. It’s due to have some hard pruning over some of the canopy this coming pruning season.

Wickson is not mentioned in my fruit growing bible (Glowinski). Are you sure about that name? A search for Wickson comes up with a plum with that varietal name.

No, I’m syill not absolutely sure. I did think it started with a D. The last person I can ask is my Sil. She does have the scientifically certificated brain space. Mrs RB cannot remember. The trouble with me is that Wickson Damson, all that stuff is replicated everywhere across numerous species in the prunus family because they are from the nursery that developed them.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:44:54
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993527
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


party_pants said:

roughbarked said:

A false flag? Maybe the Republicans did it?

they wouldn’t be clever enough to build one.

They aren’t all hicks.

This.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:46:15
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993528
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

The pile of peaches that will never get to travel anywhere is usually three times as high as the ones they take out to travel.

In the cannery, the ladies are picking out the not so nice and rotty bits and tossing them onto another conveyor. At the end of that conveyor is a lone person changing every 10 litre can under the crushed outfall.
Because at one stage in my life, I did stand there doing that, I did ask, what do you do with this? The answer, “that goes for baby food”.

I’m calling shenanigans on that.

you can. I wasn’t privy to what happened along that line of conveyor, there may have been other ladies cleaning between. I was only reporting that I saw the start of the line and was left at the end.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:46:31
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1993529
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

The pile of peaches that will never get to travel anywhere is usually three times as high as the ones they take out to travel.

In the cannery, the ladies are picking out the not so nice and rotty bits and tossing them onto another conveyor. At the end of that conveyor is a lone person changing every 10 litre can under the crushed outfall.
Because at one stage in my life, I did stand there doing that, I did ask, what do you do with this? The answer, “that goes for baby food”.

I’m calling shenanigans on that.

around here we have a company called Solar Fruit. They do fruit leather. They get bins of really soft mushy fruit and get the pulp via a separator. add sodium meta. then put it in shallow trays to dry out in the sun. worked there for a while. some of the fruit was disgusting.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:47:31
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993530
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


buffy said:

roughbarked said:

In the cannery, the ladies are picking out the not so nice and rotty bits and tossing them onto another conveyor. At the end of that conveyor is a lone person changing every 10 litre can under the crushed outfall.
Because at one stage in my life, I did stand there doing that, I did ask, what do you do with this? The answer, “that goes for baby food”.

I’m calling shenanigans on that.

around here we have a company called Solar Fruit. They do fruit leather. They get bins of really soft mushy fruit and get the pulp via a separator. add sodium meta. then put it in shallow trays to dry out in the sun. worked there for a while. some of the fruit was disgusting.

Sodium metabisulphate is horrible shit. Makes the fruit taste like the shit they put in it.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:47:33
From: party_pants
ID: 1993531
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


party_pants said:

roughbarked said:

A false flag? Maybe the Republicans did it?

they wouldn’t be clever enough to build one.

They aren’t all hicks.

The ones who would do something like that just for political points-scoring against a Dem POTUS probably all are.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:48:40
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993532
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


buffy said:

party_pants said:

they wouldn’t be clever enough to build one.

They aren’t all hicks.

The ones who would do something like that just for political points-scoring against a Dem POTUS probably all are.

You forget that they have clever friends and the money talks.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:50:56
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993533
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Should owners pay if they keep their houses empty? This group says yes By Loretta Lohberger

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:51:45
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993536
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


buffy said:

party_pants said:

they wouldn’t be clever enough to build one.

They aren’t all hicks.

The ones who would do something like that just for political points-scoring against a Dem POTUS probably all are.

I think that one is going to be a hit, only just been released but already is one to watch with a bullet on the Conspiracy Chart list.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:53:52
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993537
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m starting to believe that I should have been liviing in the burbs west of Parramatta.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 14:55:15
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993538
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


I’m starting to believe that I should have been liviing in the burbs west of Parramatta.

NSW Labor promises to cap weekly toll bill at $60 if elected in March

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 15:00:13
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993540
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


party_pants said:

roughbarked said:

A false flag? Maybe the Republicans did it?

they wouldn’t be clever enough to build one.

I’ll happily pay that comment.

hehe

and certainly not clever enough to fly one either.

.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 15:01:17
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993541
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


party_pants said:

roughbarked said:

A false flag? Maybe the Republicans did it?

they wouldn’t be clever enough to build one.

They aren’t all hicks.

True, but I get the general feeling that the majority of Republicans are hicks.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 15:04:47
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993543
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Should owners pay if they keep their houses empty? This group says yes By Loretta Lohberger

Yes, this activity reduces the numbers of shoppers in the area, so it would have a local effect.

Number of empty homes in suburbs vs average expenditure of local shoppers.

And with housing the way it is I agree with this.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 15:25:15
From: ms spock
ID: 1993546
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dia daioch folks!

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 15:34:38
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1993550
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:

Bubblecar said:

dv said:

“Small cylindrical object”

Be very interested to learn what the heck it is.

I’m assuming they’re high altitude drones of some kind. A similar one was shot down over the US.

Seems strange that they’d be cylindrical but what would I know

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 15:50:23
From: Michael V
ID: 1993553
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


dv said:

Bubblecar said:

I’m assuming they’re high altitude drones of some kind. A similar one was shot down over the US.

Seems strange that they’d be cylindrical but what would I know


Where’s the wheat?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 15:59:49
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1993554
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:

SCIENCE said:

dv said:

Seems strange that they’d be cylindrical but what would I know


Where’s the wheat?

seeing one of these small cylinders in high airspace would be quite something

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 16:11:56
From: buffy
ID: 1993556
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

When you get all excited about getting a new trailer and you just have to see how to let the ramp down, but neglect to memorize how the bits go together. And then you want to put the ramp back up again and it won’t push through. And then you just try to use brute force until buffy says…hang on…you need to move the red handled bits out of the way and then put them back. And then you get to the locking bit and again you neglected to note how they went together.

…..

And then buffy has a bit of a think and fiddles around and says…hey look! This is probably what it is supposed to do.

Thank you buffy, for using your thinking apparatus.

(there have been some “discussions” around here this afternoon…)…

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 16:23:07
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993557
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

roughbarked said:

Mark Knopfler is in the back or is it ?

yep.

Could that be Sting next to him?

Classic Rock in Pics
6 d ·
Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, David Bowie, Mark Knopfler, Mark King, and Bryan Adams performing in London, 1986

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 16:49:36
From: buffy
ID: 1993560
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Probably just my prejudices, but I don’t like the look of marbled steak. I’m not that keen on beef fat really. I prefer lean, grass fed meat.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/wagyu-beef-competition-shows-off-the-chart-marbling-in-steak/101948000

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 16:57:55
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1993561
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

quality journalism we mean entitlement

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 16:58:39
From: dv
ID: 1993562
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

1)

Masterfoods Hot English Mustard is hotter than you might expect. You really only need a little bit.

I say “hot” but it’s not really a hot spice reaction, more the nasoreceptor brainpain reaction that you get from wasabi etc. What’s the name for that?

2)

Some 30 years ago, Nigel Short said that chess involves a lot of luck and at the time I didn’t understand this: seemed self-evidently false since there’s no component of chance in the game.

I do understand now though. It’s not possible for a human being to prepare for or study all the chess lines, even those that have already been played at the top level. To be lucky is to face an opponent who uses a line that you are quite fresh on.

3)

The seven main islands of the South Sandwich group seem very well spaced.

That’s all for now.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 16:58:42
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1993563
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:

Probably just my prejudices, but I don’t like the look of marbled steak. I’m not that keen on beef fat really. I prefer lean, grass fed meat.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/wagyu-beef-competition-shows-off-the-chart-marbling-in-steak/101948000

the grease gives us nausea

even looking at that grease gives us nausea

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 17:01:40
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1993564
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


1)

Masterfoods Hot English Mustard is hotter than you might expect. You really only need a little bit.

I say “hot” but it’s not really a hot spice reaction, more the nasoreceptor brainpain reaction that you get from wasabi etc. What’s the name for that?

2)

Some 30 years ago, Nigel Short said that chess involves a lot of luck and at the time I didn’t understand this: seemed self-evidently false since there’s no component of chance in the game.

I do understand now though. It’s not possible for a human being to prepare for or study all the chess lines, even those that have already been played at the top level. To be lucky is to face an opponent who uses a line that you are quite fresh on.

3)

The seven main islands of the South Sandwich group seem very well spaced.

That’s all for now.

so the common thread through all of this is Wasabi-Go-Ioretto wegedit

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 17:01:55
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1993565
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


1)

Masterfoods Hot English Mustard is hotter than you might expect. You really only need a little bit.

I say “hot” but it’s not really a hot spice reaction, more the nasoreceptor brainpain reaction that you get from wasabi etc. What’s the name for that?

I like this. I can handle quite a bit as I use it quite often. Nice mixed with french or dijon.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 17:06:20
From: party_pants
ID: 1993566
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

buffy said:

Probably just my prejudices, but I don’t like the look of marbled steak. I’m not that keen on beef fat really. I prefer lean, grass fed meat.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/wagyu-beef-competition-shows-off-the-chart-marbling-in-steak/101948000

the grease gives us nausea

even looking at that grease gives us nausea

I have never had the privilege of trying Wagyu steak. I hear it is very good, and a completely different taste and experience to eating regular steak.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 17:06:58
From: dv
ID: 1993567
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Didn’t find a name for the sensation but WP says

“Allyl isothiocyanate and 4-hydroxybenzyl isothiocyanate are responsible for the sharp, hot, pungent sensation in mustards and in horseradish, wasabi, and garlic, because they stimulate the heat- and acidity-sensing TRPV ion channel TRPV1 on nociceptors (pain sensing nerve cell) in the mouth and nasal passages.”

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 17:09:12
From: party_pants
ID: 1993568
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Didn’t find a name for the sensation but WP says

“Allyl isothiocyanate and 4-hydroxybenzyl isothiocyanate are responsible for the sharp, hot, pungent sensation in mustards and in horseradish, wasabi, and garlic, because they stimulate the heat- and acidity-sensing TRPV ion channel TRPV1 on nociceptors (pain sensing nerve cell) in the mouth and nasal passages.”

I was just about to say that…

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 17:11:03
From: dv
ID: 1993569
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

quality journalism we mean entitlement


Fucking hell

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 17:19:40
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993571
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Probably just my prejudices, but I don’t like the look of marbled steak. I’m not that keen on beef fat really. I prefer lean, grass fed meat.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/wagyu-beef-competition-shows-off-the-chart-marbling-in-steak/101948000

The pic with that news story is appalling.

They call it ‘steak’. I thought that steak was meat.

What’s in the pic is a ball of lard with some streaks of meat.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 17:22:38
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993572
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


buffy said:

Probably just my prejudices, but I don’t like the look of marbled steak. I’m not that keen on beef fat really. I prefer lean, grass fed meat.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/wagyu-beef-competition-shows-off-the-chart-marbling-in-steak/101948000

The pic with that news story is appalling.

They call it ‘steak’. I thought that steak was meat.

What’s in the pic is a ball of lard with some streaks of meat.

Your arteries can look like this too.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 17:24:44
From: buffy
ID: 1993573
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


captain_spalding said:

buffy said:

Probably just my prejudices, but I don’t like the look of marbled steak. I’m not that keen on beef fat really. I prefer lean, grass fed meat.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/wagyu-beef-competition-shows-off-the-chart-marbling-in-steak/101948000

The pic with that news story is appalling.

They call it ‘steak’. I thought that steak was meat.

What’s in the pic is a ball of lard with some streaks of meat.

Your arteries can look like this too.

Apparently lard is rendered pig fat. Beef or sheep fat once rendered, is tallow. According to wikipedia.

But yes, it’s a lump of fat with a little bit of muscle tissue embedded. I wonder if these animals can stand up. You would think muscles like that wouldn’t be particularly strong.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 17:25:19
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993574
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

One mother actively reached out to DCJ for housing support, afraid she and her children would be made homeless, only for the department to come and undertake an “assessment” and decide the house she is living in with her aunty is overcrowded and therefore the removal of the children must occur.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/12/i-was-10-years-old-when-i-was-taken-from-my-home-the-stolen-generations-never-ended

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 17:25:34
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993575
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Didn’t find a name for the sensation but WP says

“Allyl isothiocyanate and 4-hydroxybenzyl isothiocyanate are responsible for the sharp, hot, pungent sensation in mustards and in horseradish, wasabi, and garlic, because they stimulate the heat- and acidity-sensing TRPV ion channel TRPV1 on nociceptors (pain sensing nerve cell) in the mouth and nasal passages.”

The joy of making life painful.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 17:26:01
From: buffy
ID: 1993576
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Food report: Not fatty beef. We are having tuna and veg casserole. Leftovers from a couple of days ago. I made far too much of it. And dessert is a few mouthfuls of lightly stewed peaches that came off the tree today. With some cream. If the cream is still OK. I haven’t sniffed it yet.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 17:26:47
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993578
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


One mother actively reached out to DCJ for housing support, afraid she and her children would be made homeless, only for the department to come and undertake an “assessment” and decide the house she is living in with her aunty is overcrowded and therefore the removal of the children must occur.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/12/i-was-10-years-old-when-i-was-taken-from-my-home-the-stolen-generations-never-ended

Such is life.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 17:57:48
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993584
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 17:58:13
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993585
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


sarahs mum said:

One mother actively reached out to DCJ for housing support, afraid she and her children would be made homeless, only for the department to come and undertake an “assessment” and decide the house she is living in with her aunty is overcrowded and therefore the removal of the children must occur.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/12/i-was-10-years-old-when-i-was-taken-from-my-home-the-stolen-generations-never-ended

Such is life.

Not for everybody.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 18:00:40
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1993586
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



I had one of those when I was primary school.

I never found out what the receptacle at the end was used for.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 18:02:04
From: Michael V
ID: 1993587
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



I remember them.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 18:02:18
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993588
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


sarahs mum said:


I had one of those when I was primary school.

I never found out what the receptacle at the end was used for.

rubber(Australia)
eraser(American)

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 18:02:48
From: Michael V
ID: 1993589
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


sarahs mum said:


I had one of those when I was primary school.

I never found out what the receptacle at the end was used for.

Sharpener or rubber.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 18:03:46
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993590
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


PermeateFree said:

sarahs mum said:

One mother actively reached out to DCJ for housing support, afraid she and her children would be made homeless, only for the department to come and undertake an “assessment” and decide the house she is living in with her aunty is overcrowded and therefore the removal of the children must occur.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/12/i-was-10-years-old-when-i-was-taken-from-my-home-the-stolen-generations-never-ended

Such is life.

Not for everybody.

Ned Kelly didn’t fair well from the remark either.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 18:16:25
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1993591
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


sarahs mum said:

PermeateFree said:

Such is life.

Not for everybody.

Ned Kelly didn’t fair well from the remark either.

or ben cousins.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 18:51:28
From: Neophyte
ID: 1993592
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


AussieDJ said:

sarahs mum said:


I had one of those when I was primary school.

I never found out what the receptacle at the end was used for.

Sharpener or rubber.

Nibs?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 19:18:29
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993596
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:


I remember them.

I still have one.

Has my calligraphy pens and nibs in it.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 19:20:59
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993597
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

playing https://www.chronophoto.app/game.html

Out by decades with this photo.

It was taken in 1943.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 19:23:18
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993598
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


playing https://www.chronophoto.app/game.html

Out by decades with this photo.

It was taken in 1943.

No point trying to paint that place.

The first 200 litres of paint would just soak right in.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 19:25:48
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993599
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 19:29:59
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1993600
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.facebook.com/mix94.5perth/videos/315985362449991/

Link

Bogans song.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 21:08:34
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993602
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A team of surfboat rowers has become the first all-female crew to cross the notorious Bass Strait stretch of water between Victoria and Tasmania.
Key points:

A surfboat crew has endured massive swells and strong winds during a 320km Bass Strait crossing The seven-day journey raised money for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome The women are claiming a record for their 89km leg on the second day

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-11/all-female-surfboat-crew-bass-strait-crossing-ends-in-tasmania/101961308

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 21:37:12
From: buffy
ID: 1993603
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Gosh, it’s been quiet in here for the last couple of hours.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 21:37:54
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993604
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Gosh, it’s been quiet in here for the last couple of hours.

I was thinking there’d been a gas leak or something.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 21:44:56
From: party_pants
ID: 1993605
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Gosh, it’s been quiet in here for the last couple of hours.

I had visitors.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 21:45:51
From: buffy
ID: 1993606
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


buffy said:

Gosh, it’s been quiet in here for the last couple of hours.

I was thinking there’d been a gas leak or something.

We watched Death in Paradise and then Insiders on iView. That’s my excuse.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 21:53:44
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993608
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


buffy said:

Gosh, it’s been quiet in here for the last couple of hours.

I had visitors.

I’m depressed.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 21:55:04
From: Kingy
ID: 1993610
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


buffy said:

Gosh, it’s been quiet in here for the last couple of hours.

I had visitors.

I only just got home.

Took nanna to Nannup, where nanna’s run wild, and visited family. Popped in to see the new LAT on the way home.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:00:39
From: Kingy
ID: 1993611
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


playing https://www.chronophoto.app/game.html

Out by decades with this photo.

It was taken in 1943.

I would have been out by decades too. That’s amazingly high quality for the time, especially of a “nothing” scene. No Presidents, Warships, or opening of huge public works projects to be seen. Just a house and a horse. I wonder what the story is with that.

After playing that game the last couple of days, I installed a “plugin” or whatever it is called to reverse image search the net for some of those pics with a right mouse click in the browser. Much interestings.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:06:15
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993612
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


sarahs mum said:

playing https://www.chronophoto.app/game.html

Out by decades with this photo.

It was taken in 1943.

I would have been out by decades too. That’s amazingly high quality for the time, especially of a “nothing” scene. No Presidents, Warships, or opening of huge public works projects to be seen. Just a house and a horse. I wonder what the story is with that.

After playing that game the last couple of days, I installed a “plugin” or whatever it is called to reverse image search the net for some of those pics with a right mouse click in the browser. Much interestings.

That seems worthy. Some of the photos are interesting. i do wish they had a one liner with them.

Today I have been pulled up a couple of times with colourised WW1 photos.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:09:22
From: Kingy
ID: 1993613
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Yesterday several of our brigade members helped install multiple apps and web links onto our new nav tabs. These are two tabs and the two main pages. The icons are big so that we can use them with gloves on. If anyone knows of any useful firefighting apps, I’m all ears.

Also, I’ve just realised that there is a big finger smudge on my phone camera lens. I’ll go get some windex…

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:10:25
From: transition
ID: 1993614
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

lady just sees a cricket in her room, she not likes crickets where she sleep, inside, not minds them outside

I could haves noodles, soothes my throat, it’s a bit hello how ya goin’

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:12:43
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993615
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


party_pants said:

buffy said:

Gosh, it’s been quiet in here for the last couple of hours.

I had visitors.

I only just got home.

Took nanna to Nannup, where nanna’s run wild, and visited family. Popped in to see the new LAT on the way home.


I had wondered what BAe 146s were doing these days.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:13:13
From: Kingy
ID: 1993616
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


lady just sees a cricket in her room, she not likes crickets where she sleep, inside, not minds them outside

I could haves noodles, soothes my throat, it’s a bit hello how ya goin’

Is it Covid19.0.5 this time?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:14:08
From: party_pants
ID: 1993617
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


party_pants said:

buffy said:

Gosh, it’s been quiet in here for the last couple of hours.

I had visitors.

I only just got home.

Took nanna to Nannup, where nanna’s run wild, and visited family. Popped in to see the new LAT on the way home.


Those 146s must be getting a bit old now. They were modern when I was in high school. But that was a long time ago.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:14:35
From: Kingy
ID: 1993618
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Kingy said:

party_pants said:

I had visitors.

I only just got home.

Took nanna to Nannup, where nanna’s run wild, and visited family. Popped in to see the new LAT on the way home.


I had wondered what BAe 146s were doing these days.

I’m not sure what it was doing in NSW, but it was pregnant when it got here.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:14:51
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993619
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


party_pants said:

buffy said:

Gosh, it’s been quiet in here for the last couple of hours.

I had visitors.

I’m depressed.

It’s odd how depression can seemingly spring on you suddenly, like a tiger from behind a shrub.

You can be bopping along quite ok, and then, unexpectedly, you find yourself on that familiar downward slide.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:17:07
From: Kingy
ID: 1993620
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Kingy said:

party_pants said:

I had visitors.

I only just got home.

Took nanna to Nannup, where nanna’s run wild, and visited family. Popped in to see the new LAT on the way home.


Those 146s must be getting a bit old now. They were modern when I was in high school. But that was a long time ago.

Right next to it is this old tank:

Built in 1968, and still hanging in there.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:17:24
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993621
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:

Those 146s must be getting a bit old now. They were modern when I was in high school. But that was a long time ago.

They were supposed to have been designed for good performance in ‘hot and high’ areas, but i had heard from one or two people in the business that they didn’t quite live up to the marketing.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:19:55
From: party_pants
ID: 1993622
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


party_pants said:

buffy said:

Gosh, it’s been quiet in here for the last couple of hours.

I had visitors.

I’m depressed.

It was a bit unexpected. Just my sister and BiL dropping off some metal posts that I had my eye on for a project. But they stayed for coffee and biscuits. My BiL can talk the leg off a dead donkey. I was going to do some housework, but none got done. My house is still a bit of a mess.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:19:59
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993623
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:

Those 146s must be getting a bit old now. They were modern when I was in high school. But that was a long time ago.

It seems that C-GVFT in the picture is now 28 years old.

Spent most of its life with Lufthansa, and became a tanker in 2016.

https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/british-aerospace-avro-rj85-c-gvft-conair-aerial-firefighting/edkd2v?refresh=1

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:20:54
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993624
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


sarahs mum said:

party_pants said:

I had visitors.

I’m depressed.

It’s odd how depression can seemingly spring on you suddenly, like a tiger from behind a shrub.

You can be bopping along quite ok, and then, unexpectedly, you find yourself on that familiar downward slide.

I am a depressive. So it isn’t like i don’t live with it. But I am feeling more lonely than usual. More ‘written off.’

Other nannas get field trips.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:22:43
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993625
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


sarahs mum said:

party_pants said:

I had visitors.

I’m depressed.

It was a bit unexpected. Just my sister and BiL dropping off some metal posts that I had my eye on for a project. But they stayed for coffee and biscuits. My BiL can talk the leg off a dead donkey. I was going to do some housework, but none got done. My house is still a bit of a mess.

I thought my house was looking clean until Mandi visited and took photographs and found and documented much dust.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:24:06
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993626
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


party_pants said:

sarahs mum said:

I’m depressed.

It was a bit unexpected. Just my sister and BiL dropping off some metal posts that I had my eye on for a project. But they stayed for coffee and biscuits. My BiL can talk the leg off a dead donkey. I was going to do some housework, but none got done. My house is still a bit of a mess.

I thought my house was looking clean until Mandi visited and took photographs and found and documented much dust.

Next time Mandi starts ‘documenting’ the dust, hand her the Mr. Sheen and tell her she can start anywhere she likes.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:24:31
From: transition
ID: 1993627
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


transition said:

lady just sees a cricket in her room, she not likes crickets where she sleep, inside, not minds them outside

I could haves noodles, soothes my throat, it’s a bit hello how ya goin’

Is it Covid19.0.5 this time?

who knows, it’s a noticeable throat, usually ya dun’t notices, doesn’t says hello, but it’s a bit hello how ya goin’, so I eats, soothes’t

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:30:02
From: Kingy
ID: 1993628
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


party_pants said:

buffy said:

Gosh, it’s been quiet in here for the last couple of hours.

I had visitors.

I’m depressed.

Go out and pick a flower from the garden, bring it inside and find a convenient book. Open the book, place the flower in it and close it again. The flower is now pressed.

Open the book again, and reassemble the flower. It is now de-pressed.

Sometimes our lives don’t go the way we had hoped, and I can’t help you much over the internet, but I can try to make you smile with stupid puns. Even if you don’t smile, just know that someone on the other side of the country cares enough about you to try to help.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:31:13
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993629
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


sarahs mum said:

party_pants said:

It was a bit unexpected. Just my sister and BiL dropping off some metal posts that I had my eye on for a project. But they stayed for coffee and biscuits. My BiL can talk the leg off a dead donkey. I was going to do some housework, but none got done. My house is still a bit of a mess.

I thought my house was looking clean until Mandi visited and took photographs and found and documented much dust.

Next time Mandi starts ‘documenting’ the dust, hand her the Mr. Sheen and tell her she can start anywhere she likes.

Hand painted majolica side plate from Turkey with dust. Also handpainted urn by slef with dust.

Inky mess that should have been cleaned up a couple of months ago. with dust.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:31:53
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993630
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


captain_spalding said:

sarahs mum said:

I’m depressed.

It’s odd how depression can seemingly spring on you suddenly, like a tiger from behind a shrub.

You can be bopping along quite ok, and then, unexpectedly, you find yourself on that familiar downward slide.

I am a depressive. So it isn’t like i don’t live with it. But I am feeling more lonely than usual. More ‘written off.’

Other nannas get field trips.

Count and record things over a period of time, like species of moths, ants, clouds, reptiles, anything that is of interest and different to what you are currently doing. Might be the start of a new hobby.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:32:26
From: party_pants
ID: 1993631
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


captain_spalding said:

sarahs mum said:

I thought my house was looking clean until Mandi visited and took photographs and found and documented much dust.

Next time Mandi starts ‘documenting’ the dust, hand her the Mr. Sheen and tell her she can start anywhere she likes.

Hand painted majolica side plate from Turkey with dust. Also handpainted urn by slef with dust.

Inky mess that should have been cleaned up a couple of months ago. with dust.

I shoved stuff into the spare room and shut the door.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:32:41
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993632
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


sarahs mum said:

party_pants said:

I had visitors.

I’m depressed.

Go out and pick a flower from the garden, bring it inside and find a convenient book. Open the book, place the flower in it and close it again. The flower is now pressed.

Open the book again, and reassemble the flower. It is now de-pressed.

Sometimes our lives don’t go the way we had hoped, and I can’t help you much over the internet, but I can try to make you smile with stupid puns. Even if you don’t smile, just know that someone on the other side of the country cares enough about you to try to help.

And i think today’s depression is more the life is shit type than the brain is fucked type.

thanks for being here. With puns.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:34:00
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993633
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I can’t help you much, either, SM, but i could make you groan.

Q: Why was the man nervous about going out with a vegan?

A: He’d never dated herbivore.

A man arrives at a costume party with a young lad on his back, piggy-back fashion

‘What are you supposed to be?’

I’m a turtle.’

‘Who’s the girl?’

‘That’s Michelle.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:34:51
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993634
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


I can’t help you much, either, SM, but i could make you groan.

Q: Why was the man nervous about going out with a vegan?

A: He’d never dated herbivore.

A man arrives at a costume party with a young lad on his back, piggy-back fashion

‘What are you supposed to be?’

I’m a turtle.’

‘Who’s the girl?’

‘That’s Michelle.

‘Lad’ should be ‘lady’‘.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:35:29
From: party_pants
ID: 1993635
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


captain_spalding said:

I can’t help you much, either, SM, but i could make you groan.

Q: Why was the man nervous about going out with a vegan?

A: He’d never dated herbivore.

A man arrives at a costume party with a young lad on his back, piggy-back fashion

‘What are you supposed to be?’

I’m a turtle.’

‘Who’s the girl?’

‘That’s Michelle.

‘Lad’ should be ‘lady’‘.

Yeah. I think you kinda ruined it, but.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:36:29
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993636
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


captain_spalding said:

captain_spalding said:

I can’t help you much, either, SM, but i could make you groan.

Q: Why was the man nervous about going out with a vegan?

A: He’d never dated herbivore.

A man arrives at a costume party with a young lad on his back, piggy-back fashion

‘What are you supposed to be?’

I’m a turtle.’

‘Who’s the girl?’

‘That’s Michelle.

‘Lad’ should be ‘lady’‘.

Yeah. I think you kinda ruined it, but.

Not yet ready for open-mic night?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:37:20
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993637
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


sarahs mum said:

captain_spalding said:

It’s odd how depression can seemingly spring on you suddenly, like a tiger from behind a shrub.

You can be bopping along quite ok, and then, unexpectedly, you find yourself on that familiar downward slide.

I am a depressive. So it isn’t like i don’t live with it. But I am feeling more lonely than usual. More ‘written off.’

Other nannas get field trips.

Count and record things over a period of time, like species of moths, ants, clouds, reptiles, anything that is of interest and different to what you are currently doing. Might be the start of a new hobby.

the stimulus of counting things for serotonin.

I probably need a dead line. Something to inspire me to make art on every day basis for a while. but I am feeling uninspired too.

Twas reading Jerry saltz, art critic, tother day about the importance of artists to hang around other artists. I do miss that banter.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:38:34
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993639
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


I can’t help you much, either, SM, but i could make you groan.

Q: Why was the man nervous about going out with a vegan?

A: He’d never dated herbivore.

A man arrives at a costume party with a young lad on his back, piggy-back fashion

‘What are you supposed to be?’

I’m a turtle.’

‘Who’s the girl?’

‘That’s Michelle.

ah michelle. ripper.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:43:19
From: Kingy
ID: 1993641
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I went to a car meet in Busselton last weekend, and one of the cars there was built by Bulgarian Umbrella in his workshop.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:45:52
From: party_pants
ID: 1993642
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


I went to a car meet in Busselton last weekend, and one of the cars there was built by Bulgarian Umbrella in his workshop.


Hey, that looks familiar :)

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 22:46:45
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1993643
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Kingy said:

I went to a car meet in Busselton last weekend, and one of the cars there was built by Bulgarian Umbrella in his workshop.


Hey, that looks familiar :)

The Frog.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 23:02:59
From: transition
ID: 1993644
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

has hot cup of tea
sweet biscuits too
‘n’t aspirin 1/3 of 3
did swallowed I do
make’t blood thinly
so not go all glued
blocks up I means
stroke’t saves few
not the sort bleedy
lack of’t blood flow
the oxygen maybe
help brian ya know

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 23:09:54
From: Kingy
ID: 1993646
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


party_pants said:

Kingy said:

I went to a car meet in Busselton last weekend, and one of the cars there was built by Bulgarian Umbrella in his workshop.


Hey, that looks familiar :)

The Frog.

The lady owner was there, but I didn’t get a chance to talk to her in all the commotion.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 23:12:28
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993647
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


I can’t help you much, either, SM, but i could make you groan.

Q: Why was the man nervous about going out with a vegan?

A: He’d never dated herbivore.

A man arrives at a costume party with a young lad on his back, piggy-back fashion

‘What are you supposed to be?’

I’m a turtle.’

‘Who’s the girl?’

‘That’s Michelle.

I think you buggered it.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 23:14:02
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993649
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


captain_spalding said:

I can’t help you much, either, SM, but i could make you groan.

Q: Why was the man nervous about going out with a vegan?

A: He’d never dated herbivore.

A man arrives at a costume party with a young lad on his back, piggy-back fashion

‘What are you supposed to be?’

I’m a turtle.’

‘Who’s the girl?’

‘That’s Michelle.

‘Lad’ should be ‘lady’‘.

And then fixed it but the moment was lost, never mind.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 23:18:25
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993651
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


PermeateFree said:

sarahs mum said:

I am a depressive. So it isn’t like i don’t live with it. But I am feeling more lonely than usual. More ‘written off.’

Other nannas get field trips.

Count and record things over a period of time, like species of moths, ants, clouds, reptiles, anything that is of interest and different to what you are currently doing. Might be the start of a new hobby.

the stimulus of counting things for serotonin.

I probably need a dead line. Something to inspire me to make art on every day basis for a while. but I am feeling uninspired too.

Twas reading Jerry saltz, art critic, tother day about the importance of artists to hang around other artists. I do miss that banter.

Too much art maybe, take a mental holiday.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 23:24:54
From: sibeen
ID: 1993652
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I am find it near unfathamble that Cody Longo has passed on.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 23:25:39
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993653
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


I am find it near unfathamble that Cody Longo has passed on.

fathom.

who’s cody longo?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 23:27:28
From: sibeen
ID: 1993654
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sibeen said:

I am find it near unfathamble that Cody Longo has passed on.

fathom.

who’s cody longo?

FIIK, big news on the ABC news site.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 23:29:33
From: sibeen
ID: 1993656
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sibeen said:

I am find it near unfathamble that Cody Longo has passed on.

fathom.

who’s cody longo?


Don’t tell Arts, I’m quite drunk. Actually, well fucking pissed.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 23:33:54
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1993658
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


sarahs mum said:

sibeen said:

I am find it near unfathamble that Cody Longo has passed on.

fathom.

who’s cody longo?


Don’t tell Arts, I’m quite drunk. Actually, well fucking pissed.

I’ve never heard of him, either.
I’m probably not in the demographic for his films or his music.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-12/cody-longo-actor-musician-dies-aged-34-tributes-flow/101963220

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 23:36:30
From: Arts
ID: 1993659
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


sarahs mum said:

sibeen said:

I am find it near unfathamble that Cody Longo has passed on.

fathom.

who’s cody longo?


Don’t tell Arts, I’m quite drunk. Actually, well fucking pissed.

Lucky I don’t read your posts.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 23:41:48
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993662
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

here’s a spooky one arts

48 years passed away and the case remains unsolved
On September 4, 1974, a group of teenagers, including Damien McKenzie, went on a hike to Steavenson Falls in Marysville, Victoria.. The hike was challenging, but the group was closely monitored and all members were within sight of each other. However, at some point during the hike, Damien moved ahead of the group and briefly went out of sight. When the group came around the bend, Damien was nowhere to be found. He had vanished without a trace. the boy was never found and his case remains unsolved to this day.
Read theories and more details here
https://bit.ly/3E0GIo3

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2023 23:52:44
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993663
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Historic Photographs
1 d ·
Testing cars on the roof of the Fiat factory in 1929. (Lingotto, Turin – Italy)

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 00:01:35
From: Arts
ID: 1993664
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


here’s a spooky one arts

48 years passed away and the case remains unsolved
On September 4, 1974, a group of teenagers, including Damien McKenzie, went on a hike to Steavenson Falls in Marysville, Victoria.. The hike was challenging, but the group was closely monitored and all members were within sight of each other. However, at some point during the hike, Damien moved ahead of the group and briefly went out of sight. When the group came around the bend, Damien was nowhere to be found. He had vanished without a trace. the boy was never found and his case remains unsolved to this day.
Read theories and more details here
https://bit.ly/3E0GIo3

There are other similar stories of people just disappearing like this. But most of them in the USA. Similar circumstances. Weird.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 00:04:29
From: party_pants
ID: 1993666
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


sarahs mum said:

sibeen said:

I am find it near unfathamble that Cody Longo has passed on.

fathom.

who’s cody longo?

FIIK, big news on the ABC news site.

I had to look him up. Daytime soap-opera actor Days of Our Lives. No wonder I never heard of him.

Only 34, which is quite young. I’m sure this will be a shock and great sadness for his family and friends.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 00:34:34
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993676
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The New York Times
8 m ·
In the U.S., the richest mothers and their newborns are the most likely to survive the year after childbirth — except when the family is Black, according to a groundbreaking new study. The richest Black mothers and their babies are twice as likely to die as the richest white mothers and their babies.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 00:50:43
From: party_pants
ID: 1993677
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


The New York Times
8 m ·
In the U.S., the richest mothers and their newborns are the most likely to survive the year after childbirth — except when the family is Black, according to a groundbreaking new study. The richest Black mothers and their babies are twice as likely to die as the richest white mothers and their babies.


Wow. That is very odd on a number of levels. It raises many questions, for both white and black mothers. Why the rate rises for the middle incomes, and keeps rising for the black mothers at the upper end. I’d like to see them superimposed, but it looks like the rate for black mothers drops below the rate for white mothers at one point, and then diverges again.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 01:31:38
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993678
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


sarahs mum said:

The New York Times
8 m ·
In the U.S., the richest mothers and their newborns are the most likely to survive the year after childbirth — except when the family is Black, according to a groundbreaking new study. The richest Black mothers and their babies are twice as likely to die as the richest white mothers and their babies.


Wow. That is very odd on a number of levels. It raises many questions, for both white and black mothers. Why the rate rises for the middle incomes, and keeps rising for the black mothers at the upper end. I’d like to see them superimposed, but it looks like the rate for black mothers drops below the rate for white mothers at one point, and then diverges again.

I wonder, aside from racism, if it has anything to do with hospitals? or health systems?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 02:58:41
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1993680
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


PermeateFree said:

sarahs mum said:

I am a depressive. So it isn’t like i don’t live with it. But I am feeling more lonely than usual. More ‘written off.’

Other nannas get field trips.

Count and record things over a period of time, like species of moths, ants, clouds, reptiles, anything that is of interest and different to what you are currently doing. Might be the start of a new hobby.

the stimulus of counting things for serotonin.

I probably need a dead line. Something to inspire me to make art on every day basis for a while. but I am feeling uninspired too.

Twas reading Jerry saltz, art critic, tother day about the importance of artists to hang around other artists. I do miss that banter.

Don’t think I expressed myself very clearly, what I meant was to pick something that appeals to you, then look for others and when you find one, photograph it and place on your computer. Keep looking and slowly add new species which when you find one will give you a lift and some satisfaction. After a while when you begin to notice differences or similarities, they too can stimulate you more, until you reach a stage when it becomes an absorbing interest and somewhere else to stimulate your mind.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 03:31:41
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993682
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


sarahs mum said:

PermeateFree said:

Count and record things over a period of time, like species of moths, ants, clouds, reptiles, anything that is of interest and different to what you are currently doing. Might be the start of a new hobby.

the stimulus of counting things for serotonin.

I probably need a dead line. Something to inspire me to make art on every day basis for a while. but I am feeling uninspired too.

Twas reading Jerry saltz, art critic, tother day about the importance of artists to hang around other artists. I do miss that banter.

Don’t think I expressed myself very clearly, what I meant was to pick something that appeals to you, then look for others and when you find one, photograph it and place on your computer. Keep looking and slowly add new species which when you find one will give you a lift and some satisfaction. After a while when you begin to notice differences or similarities, they too can stimulate you more, until you reach a stage when it becomes an absorbing interest and somewhere else to stimulate your mind.

I’ll keep it in mind. I’m not much of a photographer. The art stuff is good because I am satisfied with completions.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 05:30:46
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993686
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Turkey earthquake opened 190-mile-long fissure, satellite images show

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 05:57:00
From: mollwollfumble
ID: 1993687
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Turkey earthquake opened 190-mile-long fissure, satellite images show

Wow.

If I’m spending less time on this site lately it’s because I’ve found a highly addictive computer game.
Nonograms Katana
It’s like a 50-50 mix of sudoku and colour-by-numbers

The old nonograms puzzle used to be published in newspapers. This became the Nonograms game on android. But the first android implementation had a dozen or so serious annoyances. All of the annoyances have been fixed in the separate game Nonograms Katana..

And the way that this game accepts new puzzles from players lifts the whole game to a new level. It becomes worth playing for the resulting clipart archive alone. You have to solve the puzzle to get the clipart.

A double warning up front.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 06:44:59
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993691
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Monday monday.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 06:52:41
From: buffy
ID: 1993692
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 10 degrees, overcast and still. We are forecast a cloudy 20 degrees today.

We are going to take the tractor back to its bush shed home and I’m going to wander around looking for flowers and Interesting Plants for a bit. There won’t be much to see, but usually if I just wander without expectations, something pops up of interest. (I hope it’s not a snake)

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 07:19:11
From: ms spock
ID: 1993694
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dia daoich earthlings!

It was 37 degrees here yesterday the heat was overwhelming for a while.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 07:37:00
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993695
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

Dia daoich earthlings!

It was 37 degrees here yesterday the heat was overwhelming for a while.

Madness.

A mild 22 here today but we’ll be up to 31 by Friday.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 07:56:28
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993696
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

Dia daoich earthlings!

It was 37 degrees here yesterday the heat was overwhelming for a while.

We has a couple of days at 37 but yesterday didn’t get to 27 and here’s the rest of this week.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 08:19:06
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993697
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Stone Age discovery fuels mystery of who made early tools

Archaeologists in Kenya have dug up some of the oldest stone tools ever found, but who used them is a mystery.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 08:23:15
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993698
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Codebreakers find, decipher lost letters of Mary, Queen of Scots

An international team of codebreakers said Wednesday they have found and deciphered the long lost secret letters of 16th-century monarch Mary, Queen of Scots, one of the most argued-over figures in British history.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 08:23:38
From: ms spock
ID: 1993699
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


ms spock said:

Dia daoich earthlings!

It was 37 degrees here yesterday the heat was overwhelming for a while.

Madness.

A mild 22 here today but we’ll be up to 31 by Friday.

Is madness é Mr Car!

Even in the house it was overwhelming. I had to put an ice pack on the back of my neck.

I had been gardening earlier and it was really toasty. And I had been concerned about being out in that heat.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 08:24:53
From: ms spock
ID: 1993700
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

Dia daoich earthlings!

It was 37 degrees here yesterday the heat was overwhelming for a while.

We has a couple of days at 37 but yesterday didn’t get to 27 and here’s the rest of this week.


Naofa Moli! (Holy Moly)

Are you still planting in this weather roughbarked!

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 08:28:29
From: ms spock
ID: 1993701
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Stone Age discovery fuels mystery of who made early tools

Archaeologists in Kenya have dug up some of the oldest stone tools ever found, but who used them is a mystery.

more…

I appreciate the ending! (Is mór agam an deireadh!)

After all, we can’t say for sure whether Paranthropus was using these tools, or just happened to die in the same place, Schick said, “When we find hominin fossils with stone tools, you always have to ask, is this the dinner or the diner?”

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 08:32:14
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993702
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


roughbarked said:

ms spock said:

Dia daoich earthlings!

It was 37 degrees here yesterday the heat was overwhelming for a while.

We has a couple of days at 37 but yesterday didn’t get to 27 and here’s the rest of this week.


Naofa Moli! (Holy Moly)

Are you still planting in this weather roughbarked!

Yes, if I can keep the water up.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 08:32:40
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993703
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

New models shed light on life’s origin

The first signs of life emerged on Earth in the form of microbes about four billion years ago. While scientists are still determining exactly when and how these microbes appeared, it’s clear that the emergence of life is intricately intertwined with the chemical and physical characteristics of early Earth.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 08:34:33
From: ms spock
ID: 1993704
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Codebreakers find, decipher lost letters of Mary, Queen of Scots

An international team of codebreakers said Wednesday they have found and deciphered the long lost secret letters of 16th-century monarch Mary, Queen of Scots, one of the most argued-over figures in British history.

more…

This has had quite a few Gaeilge teachers being excited! It’s the talk of international zooms I have been attending!

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 08:36:12
From: ms spock
ID: 1993705
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

roughbarked said:

We has a couple of days at 37 but yesterday didn’t get to 27 and here’s the rest of this week.


Naofa Moli! (Holy Moly)

Are you still planting in this weather roughbarked!

Yes, if I can keep the water up.

Sin iontach!
That’s amazing!

Tá eagla orm faoi do shláinte ach is aoibheann liom do stamina!
I fear for your health but I admire your stamina!

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 08:42:37
From: ms spock
ID: 1993706
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Monday monday.

Cad éirí gréine!
What a sunrise!

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 08:53:23
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993708
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


roughbarked said:

ms spock said:

Naofa Moli! (Holy Moly)

Are you still planting in this weather roughbarked!

Yes, if I can keep the water up.

Sin iontach!
That’s amazing!

Tá eagla orm faoi do shláinte ach is aoibheann liom do stamina!
I fear for your health but I admire your stamina!

Many think I’m crazy. They could well be correct.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 09:07:56
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993713
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 09:13:36
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993714
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Beijing isn’t making any further mention of “weather balloons that went ‘off course’”, i notice.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 09:21:53
From: ms spock
ID: 1993715
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

roughbarked said:

Yes, if I can keep the water up.

Sin iontach!
That’s amazing!

Tá eagla orm faoi do shláinte ach is aoibheann liom do stamina!
I fear for your health but I admire your stamina!

Many think I’m crazy. They could well be correct.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 09:22:02
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993716
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


roughbarked said:

United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Beijing isn’t making any further mention of “weather balloons that went ‘off course’”, i notice.

Clearly they thought that the world wouldn’t notice. These objects though are obvously testing the US defence systems. This is all invaluable data to China if they are thinking of expanding their territorial claims.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 09:25:38
From: ms spock
ID: 1993717
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


captain_spalding said:

roughbarked said:

United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Beijing isn’t making any further mention of “weather balloons that went ‘off course’”, i notice.

Clearly they thought that the world wouldn’t notice. These objects though are obvously testing the US defence systems. This is all invaluable data to China if they are thinking of expanding their territorial claims.

I think that they have already done that though through their Silk Road initiative.

China’s Massive Belt and Road Initiative

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 09:25:57
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993718
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


roughbarked said:

ms spock said:

Sin iontach!
That’s amazing!

Tá eagla orm faoi do shláinte ach is aoibheann liom do stamina!
I fear for your health but I admire your stamina!

Many think I’m crazy. They could well be correct.

:)

Anyway I’m off for a walk out the back to have a look for more bearded dragon babes as there is evidence that more nests are hatching out. It is like a turtle beach out there. Quite a few nests all in the same area. Roughly 100 metres from my back door.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 09:27:04
From: ms spock
ID: 1993719
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

roughbarked said:

Many think I’m crazy. They could well be correct.

:)

Anyway I’m off for a walk out the back to have a look for more bearded dragon babes as there is evidence that more nests are hatching out. It is like a turtle beach out there. Quite a few nests all in the same area. Roughly 100 metres from my back door.

Exquisite experience!

I will go and water some newly planted trees.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 09:36:45
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1993721
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

roughbarked said:

United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Beijing isn’t making any further mention of “weather balloons that went ‘off course’”, i notice.

Clearly they thought that the world wouldn’t notice. These objects though are obvously testing the US defence systems. This is all invaluable data to China if they are thinking of expanding their territorial claims.

well hey it’s not like the other cuntries are banging on about weather balloons either

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 10:13:11
From: dv
ID: 1993723
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Once in a Lifetime
Jerusalem
Mrs Robinson

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 10:28:16
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1993728
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Life will find a way:

…

Japanese zookeepers believe they have solved the mystery of how a gibbon became pregnant despite living alone in her cage.

https://amp.9news.com.au/article/3700175a-047b-4daf-8044-2ac3a11535c2

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 10:51:31
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1993733
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Once in a Lifetime
Jerusalem
Mrs Robinson

Ummm.

What about them?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 10:53:28
From: dv
ID: 1993734
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Life will find a way:

…

Japanese zookeepers believe they have solved the mystery of how a gibbon became pregnant despite living alone in her cage.

https://amp.9news.com.au/article/3700175a-047b-4daf-8044-2ac3a11535c2

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/02/12/old-people-should-embrace-mass-suicide-says-yale-professor/

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 10:55:49
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1993735
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Life will find a way:

…

Japanese zookeepers believe they have solved the mystery of how a gibbon became pregnant despite living alone in her cage.

https://amp.9news.com.au/article/3700175a-047b-4daf-8044-2ac3a11535c2

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/02/12/old-people-should-embrace-mass-suicide-says-yale-professor/

Well only in Japan, apparently.

So that’s all right then.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 10:58:39
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993736
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


dv said:

Once in a Lifetime
Jerusalem
Mrs Robinson

Ummm.

What about them?

?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 11:01:07
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993737
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

Once in a Lifetime
Jerusalem
Mrs Robinson

Ummm.

What about them?

?

Well, Anne Bancroft, wasn’t Jewish, so i’m at a loss.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 11:01:32
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1993738
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Life will find a way:

…

Japanese zookeepers believe they have solved the mystery of how a gibbon became pregnant despite living alone in her cage.

https://amp.9news.com.au/article/3700175a-047b-4daf-8044-2ac3a11535c2

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/02/12/old-people-should-embrace-mass-suicide-says-yale-professor/

non-paywall. for me anyway.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/12/world/asia/japan-elderly-mass-suicide.html

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 11:02:01
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993739
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Apparently, this one was octagonal.
Perhaps the Chinese are playing a game of geometrical poportions?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 11:09:33
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1993740
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Apparently, this one was octagonal.
Perhaps the Chinese are playing a game of geometrical poportions?

wait until they blow up the pentagon wait

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 11:12:50
From: Tamb
ID: 1993741
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Apparently, this one was octagonal.
Perhaps the Chinese are playing a game of geometrical poportions?

wait until they blow up the pentagon wait

I’m waiting for a DoD spokesman to say it’s just a lot of hot air.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 11:13:09
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993742
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Apparently, this one was octagonal.
Perhaps the Chinese are playing a game of geometrical poportions?

wait until they blow up the pentagon wait

Chinese missile hits the Pentagon.

Conspiracy theorists claim it was an airliner.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 11:14:41
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993743
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Apparently, this one was octagonal.
Perhaps the Chinese are playing a game of geometrical poportions?

wait until they blow up the pentagon wait

Could say you’d have to be square not to think this could be what it all leads to

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 11:17:55
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1993744
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

Once in a Lifetime
Jerusalem
Mrs Robinson

Ummm.

What about them?

?

What is your question?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 11:21:11
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993745
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


roughbarked said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Ummm.

What about them?

?

What is your question?

of balance.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 11:22:06
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993746
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


roughbarked said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Ummm.

What about them?

?

What is your question?

“What vexes all men?”

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 11:24:32
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993747
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ASIO boss not aware of any Chinese spy balloons over Australia.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 11:25:02
From: Woodie
ID: 1993748
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


roughbarked said:

United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Apparently, this one was octagonal.
Perhaps the Chinese are playing a game of geometrical poportions?

They did not get “shot down”. They were “decommissioned”.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 11:26:59
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993749
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Apparently, this one was octagonal.
Perhaps the Chinese are playing a game of geometrical poportions?

They did not get “shot down”. They were “decommissioned”.

Sent them a note telling them they were decommissioned to the lowest rank.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 11:29:35
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993751
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Happy Galentines day.

My daughter smelling the roses.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 11:35:24
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993752
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Apparently, this one was octagonal.
Perhaps the Chinese are playing a game of geometrical poportions?

They did not get “shot down”. They were “decommissioned”.

Yes, more answers.

Like why Republican politicians keep claiming to be Jewish when they’re not.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 11:44:02
From: transition
ID: 1993753
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Apparently, this one was octagonal.
Perhaps the Chinese are playing a game of geometrical poportions?

They did not get “shot down”. They were “decommissioned”.

certainly a distractional message about intrusions into your part of the world, reciprocal or reciprocated inurement, probably intended to provoke paranoia also, a prelude to escalated conflict, an observer won’t know who started what eventually

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 12:22:58
From: dv
ID: 1993757
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://youtu.be/HyHNuVaZJ-k

R.I.P. Dave

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 12:27:31
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1993758
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


https://youtu.be/HyHNuVaZJ-k

R.I.P. Dave

Dave’s not here then.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 12:28:39
From: Michael V
ID: 1993759
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


https://youtu.be/HyHNuVaZJ-k

R.I.P. Dave

Dave? Dave’s not here, man.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 12:32:18
From: Michael V
ID: 1993760
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Too slow…

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 12:39:23
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1993761
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


https://youtu.be/HyHNuVaZJ-k

R.I.P. Dave

Dave? Who’s Dave?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 12:41:43
From: Michael V
ID: 1993762
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/peter-dutton-sorry-for-walking-out-of-stolen-generations-apology/101965798

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 12:45:44
From: dv
ID: 1993763
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/peter-dutton-sorry-for-walking-out-of-stolen-generations-apology/101965798

Well that’s good.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 12:47:00
From: dv
ID: 1993764
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


dv said:

https://youtu.be/HyHNuVaZJ-k

R.I.P. Dave

Dave? Who’s Dave?

Dave, David Jude Jolicoeur, Trugoy the Dove, vocalist from De La Soul.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 12:47:19
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993765
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/peter-dutton-sorry-for-walking-out-of-stolen-generations-apology/101965798

Blackfulla Revolution
1 h ·
What were you sorry about exactly? Because I thought that apologising should mean you don’t keep doing it. How do people heal when families keep getting torn apart at higher and higher rates?
Fifteen years after the National Apology to the stolen generations the number of Aboriginal kids in out of home care has almost doubled and the figure is growing.
In 2008-2009 There were 10,512 Aboriginal kids in out of home care, meaning kids were NINE times over represented in the figures compared to non Indigenous kids.
In 2020-21 that figure was 19,500 and growing meaning the disproportionate representation has grown to ELEVEN AND A HALF times.
Apologies don’t keep kids on country with their family. Empty words don’t mean shit. Dismantling systemic racism, listening to the current Indigenous Representative Body, embedding the Priority Reform Areas into Policy and addressing Aboriginal disadvantage will.
Priority Reform Areas are entirely voluntary in Government Departments, they are not embedded in policy or Employee codes of conduct anywhere and there is no accountability in Government for any of them. Systemic and direct racism is rife in every Government space while money is wasted talking about things that never happen.
CLOSE THE GAP NOW.
Why are people talking about a new shiny Voice to parliament when the current one – the Coalition of Peaks – is ignored time and time again?
The Bringing them home report was 26 years ago and there are still recommendations that have been ignored.

——
OPINION: How Kevin Rudd and Jenny Macklin created another stolen generation
In 2007, there were 265 Indigenous children in “out of home care” in the NT. In 2013, the year Labor left office, there were 623. Researcher, Padraic Gibson explores Labor’s responsibility for the forced removal of so many thousands of children.

Kevin Rudd has had a busy schedule of celebrations leading up to the tenth anniversary of his Apology to the Stolen Generations. It appears he is working hard to ensure the Apology is cemented at the centre of his political legacy.

Jenny Macklin, who served as Minister for Indigenous Affairs under Kevin Rudd, is making similar efforts.

In an extended essay
in Meanjin literary magazine, and in and subsequent media appearances
, Macklin gives us a blow by blow account of behind the scenes arguments and anxieties leading up to the big ‘Apology Day’ on 13 February 2008. Macklin reminds us that the Apology “was not inevitable”. She casts herself and Rudd as brave fighters for Aboriginal rights, pushing back against racism of the Liberal party and in the electorate, to ensure the Apology took place.

Advertisement
Both politicians have also used their publicity to grandstand against the Liberal government, contrasting Turnbull’s rejection of the Uluru statement with their own, supposedly enlightened approach to Aboriginal affairs.

Macklin claims that her government was able to “combine symbolism and substance”, by taking measures to “address the shocking disadvantage suffered by Indigenous Australians” and “foster relationships with Aboriginal people based on mutual respect”.

The ugly truth however, is that Macklin and Rudd were central to the implementation of the Northern Territory Intervention, the most destructive and explicitly racist initiative in Aboriginal affairs since the days of segregation under the Protection regime.

more
https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/opinion-how-kevin-rudd-and-jenny-macklin-created-another-stolen-generation/ywcww5oy1

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 12:47:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993766
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Octagonal objects now.

US shoots down octagonal object near Canadian border in fourth interception since Chinese balloon spotted

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/us-military-shoots-down-flying-object-near-canadian-border/101964386

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 12:49:34
From: dv
ID: 1993767
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Octagonal objects now.

US shoots down octagonal object near Canadian border in fourth interception since Chinese balloon spotted

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/us-military-shoots-down-flying-object-near-canadian-border/101964386

They say that war exists to teach Americans about geography: perhaps these balloons are to teach Americans about geometry.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 12:53:02
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993768
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/peter-dutton-sorry-for-walking-out-of-stolen-generations-apology/101965798

What, a two faced potato now?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 12:54:08
From: Woodie
ID: 1993769
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


JudgeMental said:

dv said:

https://youtu.be/HyHNuVaZJ-k

R.I.P. Dave

Dave? Who’s Dave?

Dave, David Jude Jolicoeur, Trugoy the Dove, vocalist from De La Soul.

Is he dead?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 12:56:55
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993770
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


dv said:

JudgeMental said:

Dave? Who’s Dave?

Dave, David Jude Jolicoeur, Trugoy the Dove, vocalist from De La Soul.

Is he dead?

I hope so.

They’re planning to bury him.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 12:57:43
From: JudgeMental
ID: 1993771
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


dv said:

JudgeMental said:

Dave? Who’s Dave?

Dave, David Jude Jolicoeur, Trugoy the Dove, vocalist from De La Soul.

Is he dead?

well, they don’t cremate live people.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:07:47
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993772
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/peter-dutton-sorry-for-walking-out-of-stolen-generations-apology/101965798

He didn’t give it much thought then did he.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:08:19
From: transition
ID: 1993773
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/reserve-bank-australia-pushing-us-towards-a-recession-verrender/101963794

money supply and debt didn’t go mad did it, undermine the structure in the system, undermining currency

seems too obvious to be likely, I guess

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:10:14
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993774
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Michael V said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/peter-dutton-sorry-for-walking-out-of-stolen-generations-apology/101965798

He didn’t give it much thought then did he.

May not be so keen to listen to his ‘marketing’ people next time.

‘Do it, Peter, it’ll boost your image with your conservative base, show that you’re an independent, firm beliefs, all that.’‘

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:16:38
From: Tamb
ID: 1993775
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


dv said:

https://youtu.be/HyHNuVaZJ-k

R.I.P. Dave

Dave? Who’s Dave?


My sediments perzakly.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:18:52
From: Tamb
ID: 1993776
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


dv said:

JudgeMental said:

Dave? Who’s Dave?

Dave, David Jude Jolicoeur, Trugoy the Dove, vocalist from De La Soul.

Is he dead?

OK then, who is De La Soul?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:20:51
From: Tamb
ID: 1993777
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

JudgeMental said:


Woodie said:

dv said:

Dave, David Jude Jolicoeur, Trugoy the Dove, vocalist from De La Soul.

Is he dead?

well, they don’t cremate live people.


I think the Ukrainians would disagree.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:30:01
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993778
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Preparing sandwiches in a Kiwi prison. Looks like corned beef and salad on multigrain.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:35:09
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993779
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Woodie said:

dv said:

Dave, David Jude Jolicoeur, Trugoy the Dove, vocalist from De La Soul.

Is he dead?

OK then, who is De La Soul?

You may have heard these.

De La Soul – Me, Myself And I

De La Soul – Say No Go

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:37:55
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993780
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

British prison food.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:38:29
From: Tamb
ID: 1993781
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Tamb said:

Woodie said:

Is he dead?

OK then, who is De La Soul?

You may have heard these.

De La Soul – Me, Myself And I

De La Soul – Say No Go


Fortunately I have not.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:44:37
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993784
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Japanese prison lunch.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:44:53
From: ms spock
ID: 1993785
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Michael V said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/peter-dutton-sorry-for-walking-out-of-stolen-generations-apology/101965798

Blackfulla Revolution
1 h ·
What were you sorry about exactly? Because I thought that apologising should mean you don’t keep doing it. How do people heal when families keep getting torn apart at higher and higher rates?
Fifteen years after the National Apology to the stolen generations the number of Aboriginal kids in out of home care has almost doubled and the figure is growing.
In 2008-2009 There were 10,512 Aboriginal kids in out of home care, meaning kids were NINE times over represented in the figures compared to non Indigenous kids.
In 2020-21 that figure was 19,500 and growing meaning the disproportionate representation has grown to ELEVEN AND A HALF times.
Apologies don’t keep kids on country with their family. Empty words don’t mean shit. Dismantling systemic racism, listening to the current Indigenous Representative Body, embedding the Priority Reform Areas into Policy and addressing Aboriginal disadvantage will.
Priority Reform Areas are entirely voluntary in Government Departments, they are not embedded in policy or Employee codes of conduct anywhere and there is no accountability in Government for any of them. Systemic and direct racism is rife in every Government space while money is wasted talking about things that never happen.
CLOSE THE GAP NOW.
Why are people talking about a new shiny Voice to parliament when the current one – the Coalition of Peaks – is ignored time and time again?
The Bringing them home report was 26 years ago and there are still recommendations that have been ignored.

——
OPINION: How Kevin Rudd and Jenny Macklin created another stolen generation
In 2007, there were 265 Indigenous children in “out of home care” in the NT. In 2013, the year Labor left office, there were 623. Researcher, Padraic Gibson explores Labor’s responsibility for the forced removal of so many thousands of children.

Kevin Rudd has had a busy schedule of celebrations leading up to the tenth anniversary of his Apology to the Stolen Generations. It appears he is working hard to ensure the Apology is cemented at the centre of his political legacy.

Jenny Macklin, who served as Minister for Indigenous Affairs under Kevin Rudd, is making similar efforts.

In an extended essay
in Meanjin literary magazine, and in and subsequent media appearances
, Macklin gives us a blow by blow account of behind the scenes arguments and anxieties leading up to the big ‘Apology Day’ on 13 February 2008. Macklin reminds us that the Apology “was not inevitable”. She casts herself and Rudd as brave fighters for Aboriginal rights, pushing back against racism of the Liberal party and in the electorate, to ensure the Apology took place.

Advertisement
Both politicians have also used their publicity to grandstand against the Liberal government, contrasting Turnbull’s rejection of the Uluru statement with their own, supposedly enlightened approach to Aboriginal affairs.

Macklin claims that her government was able to “combine symbolism and substance”, by taking measures to “address the shocking disadvantage suffered by Indigenous Australians” and “foster relationships with Aboriginal people based on mutual respect”.

The ugly truth however, is that Macklin and Rudd were central to the implementation of the Northern Territory Intervention, the most destructive and explicitly racist initiative in Aboriginal affairs since the days of segregation under the Protection regime.

more
https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/opinion-how-kevin-rudd-and-jenny-macklin-created-another-stolen-generation/ywcww5oy1

There’s so much to it, isn’t there?

The incarceration rates of Indigenous children is the highest in the world I was told when I was at law school. I wonder if it is still the same.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:45:55
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993786
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Japanese prison lunch.


for one? all of that?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:46:15
From: ms spock
ID: 1993787
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Octagonal objects now.

US shoots down octagonal object near Canadian border in fourth interception since Chinese balloon spotted

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/us-military-shoots-down-flying-object-near-canadian-border/101964386

Obviously the person who is designing has an artistic bent? ***peeks at sarahs mum*** Is there something that you want to tell us? Are you a high flying artist doing some type of international performance art?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:46:26
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993788
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

Michael V said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/peter-dutton-sorry-for-walking-out-of-stolen-generations-apology/101965798

Blackfulla Revolution
1 h ·
What were you sorry about exactly? Because I thought that apologising should mean you don’t keep doing it. How do people heal when families keep getting torn apart at higher and higher rates?
Fifteen years after the National Apology to the stolen generations the number of Aboriginal kids in out of home care has almost doubled and the figure is growing.
In 2008-2009 There were 10,512 Aboriginal kids in out of home care, meaning kids were NINE times over represented in the figures compared to non Indigenous kids.
In 2020-21 that figure was 19,500 and growing meaning the disproportionate representation has grown to ELEVEN AND A HALF times.
Apologies don’t keep kids on country with their family. Empty words don’t mean shit. Dismantling systemic racism, listening to the current Indigenous Representative Body, embedding the Priority Reform Areas into Policy and addressing Aboriginal disadvantage will.
Priority Reform Areas are entirely voluntary in Government Departments, they are not embedded in policy or Employee codes of conduct anywhere and there is no accountability in Government for any of them. Systemic and direct racism is rife in every Government space while money is wasted talking about things that never happen.
CLOSE THE GAP NOW.
Why are people talking about a new shiny Voice to parliament when the current one – the Coalition of Peaks – is ignored time and time again?
The Bringing them home report was 26 years ago and there are still recommendations that have been ignored.

——
OPINION: How Kevin Rudd and Jenny Macklin created another stolen generation
In 2007, there were 265 Indigenous children in “out of home care” in the NT. In 2013, the year Labor left office, there were 623. Researcher, Padraic Gibson explores Labor’s responsibility for the forced removal of so many thousands of children.

Kevin Rudd has had a busy schedule of celebrations leading up to the tenth anniversary of his Apology to the Stolen Generations. It appears he is working hard to ensure the Apology is cemented at the centre of his political legacy.

Jenny Macklin, who served as Minister for Indigenous Affairs under Kevin Rudd, is making similar efforts.

In an extended essay
in Meanjin literary magazine, and in and subsequent media appearances
, Macklin gives us a blow by blow account of behind the scenes arguments and anxieties leading up to the big ‘Apology Day’ on 13 February 2008. Macklin reminds us that the Apology “was not inevitable”. She casts herself and Rudd as brave fighters for Aboriginal rights, pushing back against racism of the Liberal party and in the electorate, to ensure the Apology took place.

Advertisement
Both politicians have also used their publicity to grandstand against the Liberal government, contrasting Turnbull’s rejection of the Uluru statement with their own, supposedly enlightened approach to Aboriginal affairs.

Macklin claims that her government was able to “combine symbolism and substance”, by taking measures to “address the shocking disadvantage suffered by Indigenous Australians” and “foster relationships with Aboriginal people based on mutual respect”.

The ugly truth however, is that Macklin and Rudd were central to the implementation of the Northern Territory Intervention, the most destructive and explicitly racist initiative in Aboriginal affairs since the days of segregation under the Protection regime.

more
https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/opinion-how-kevin-rudd-and-jenny-macklin-created-another-stolen-generation/ywcww5oy1

There’s so much to it, isn’t there?

The incarceration rates of Indigenous children is the highest in the world I was told when I was at law school. I wonder if it is still the same.

It’s only increased.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:46:51
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993789
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Japanese prison lunch.


for one? all of that?

The plates and bowls might be quite small.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:47:09
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993790
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Bubblecar said:

Octagonal objects now.

US shoots down octagonal object near Canadian border in fourth interception since Chinese balloon spotted

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/us-military-shoots-down-flying-object-near-canadian-border/101964386

Obviously the person who is designing has an artistic bent? ***peeks at sarahs mum*** Is there something that you want to tell us? Are you a high flying artist doing some type of international performance art?

Not me. I make shit paper planes.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:47:12
From: ms spock
ID: 1993791
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Bubblecar said:

Octagonal objects now.

US shoots down octagonal object near Canadian border in fourth interception since Chinese balloon spotted

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/us-military-shoots-down-flying-object-near-canadian-border/101964386

They say that war exists to teach Americans about geography: perhaps these balloons are to teach Americans about geometry.

Tosaíonn ag gáire (Starts laughing)

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:48:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993792
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Anyway my lunch is just a vegemite & lettuce sandwich.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:49:32
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993793
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Anyway my lunch is just a vegemite & lettuce sandwich.

Now there’s an idea but I think I’ll put some garden fresh tomato on it too.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:50:09
From: Tamb
ID: 1993794
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Japanese prison lunch.



Queensland prison food:

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:51:04
From: ms spock
ID: 1993795
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dia daoich one and all!

The heat here got intense this morning. I was going to plant some trees but I held off. My skin was going to burn to a crisp.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:51:11
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993796
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

You can’t see me but if you come any closer I’ll leap off into the undergrowth and will be away.

Which is of course exactly what it did.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:51:11
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993797
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Bubblecar said:

Japanese prison lunch.



Queensland prison food:

That looks quite wholesome and appetising.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:51:22
From: ms spock
ID: 1993798
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Japanese prison lunch.


for one? all of that?

Only one meal per day?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:52:13
From: ms spock
ID: 1993799
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

Blackfulla Revolution
1 h ·
What were you sorry about exactly? Because I thought that apologising should mean you don’t keep doing it. How do people heal when families keep getting torn apart at higher and higher rates?
Fifteen years after the National Apology to the stolen generations the number of Aboriginal kids in out of home care has almost doubled and the figure is growing.
In 2008-2009 There were 10,512 Aboriginal kids in out of home care, meaning kids were NINE times over represented in the figures compared to non Indigenous kids.
In 2020-21 that figure was 19,500 and growing meaning the disproportionate representation has grown to ELEVEN AND A HALF times.
Apologies don’t keep kids on country with their family. Empty words don’t mean shit. Dismantling systemic racism, listening to the current Indigenous Representative Body, embedding the Priority Reform Areas into Policy and addressing Aboriginal disadvantage will.
Priority Reform Areas are entirely voluntary in Government Departments, they are not embedded in policy or Employee codes of conduct anywhere and there is no accountability in Government for any of them. Systemic and direct racism is rife in every Government space while money is wasted talking about things that never happen.
CLOSE THE GAP NOW.
Why are people talking about a new shiny Voice to parliament when the current one – the Coalition of Peaks – is ignored time and time again?
The Bringing them home report was 26 years ago and there are still recommendations that have been ignored.

——
OPINION: How Kevin Rudd and Jenny Macklin created another stolen generation
In 2007, there were 265 Indigenous children in “out of home care” in the NT. In 2013, the year Labor left office, there were 623. Researcher, Padraic Gibson explores Labor’s responsibility for the forced removal of so many thousands of children.

Kevin Rudd has had a busy schedule of celebrations leading up to the tenth anniversary of his Apology to the Stolen Generations. It appears he is working hard to ensure the Apology is cemented at the centre of his political legacy.

Jenny Macklin, who served as Minister for Indigenous Affairs under Kevin Rudd, is making similar efforts.

In an extended essay
in Meanjin literary magazine, and in and subsequent media appearances
, Macklin gives us a blow by blow account of behind the scenes arguments and anxieties leading up to the big ‘Apology Day’ on 13 February 2008. Macklin reminds us that the Apology “was not inevitable”. She casts herself and Rudd as brave fighters for Aboriginal rights, pushing back against racism of the Liberal party and in the electorate, to ensure the Apology took place.

Advertisement
Both politicians have also used their publicity to grandstand against the Liberal government, contrasting Turnbull’s rejection of the Uluru statement with their own, supposedly enlightened approach to Aboriginal affairs.

Macklin claims that her government was able to “combine symbolism and substance”, by taking measures to “address the shocking disadvantage suffered by Indigenous Australians” and “foster relationships with Aboriginal people based on mutual respect”.

The ugly truth however, is that Macklin and Rudd were central to the implementation of the Northern Territory Intervention, the most destructive and explicitly racist initiative in Aboriginal affairs since the days of segregation under the Protection regime.

more
https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/opinion-how-kevin-rudd-and-jenny-macklin-created-another-stolen-generation/ywcww5oy1

There’s so much to it, isn’t there?

The incarceration rates of Indigenous children is the highest in the world I was told when I was at law school. I wonder if it is still the same.

It’s only increased.

I feel so sad about that!
Mothaím chomh brónach faoi sin!

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:52:38
From: ms spock
ID: 1993800
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

Bubblecar said:

Octagonal objects now.

US shoots down octagonal object near Canadian border in fourth interception since Chinese balloon spotted

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/us-military-shoots-down-flying-object-near-canadian-border/101964386

Obviously the person who is designing has an artistic bent? ***peeks at sarahs mum*** Is there something that you want to tell us? Are you a high flying artist doing some type of international performance art?

Not me. I make shit paper planes.

Damn it!

I thought I might have some type of international scoop!

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:54:15
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993801
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Hmmm I thought I saved that photo so it stood up the right way.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:55:00
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993802
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

ms spock said:

Obviously the person who is designing has an artistic bent? ***peeks at sarahs mum*** Is there something that you want to tell us? Are you a high flying artist doing some type of international performance art?

Not me. I make shit paper planes.

Damn it!

I thought I might have some type of international scoop!

I wonder if the next one will be a dodecahedron?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:55:06
From: ms spock
ID: 1993803
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I am glad to see that Tamb and Mr Car have their lunch sorted! Vegemite and lettuce is this a new fandangled combination or has this been going on for awhile?

Roughbarked’s bearded dragons will shortly swam and take over the world. It means so much less stress for the rest of us! :)

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:55:14
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993804
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

ms spock said:

Obviously the person who is designing has an artistic bent? ***peeks at sarahs mum*** Is there something that you want to tell us? Are you a high flying artist doing some type of international performance art?

Not me. I make shit paper planes.

Damn it!

I thought I might have some type of international scoop!

‘Tas. Artist Gets Commission from ChiCom Party’.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:58:02
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993805
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Anyway my lunch is just a vegemite & lettuce sandwich.

I bought a new jar of veg. Had one sandwich. bumped jar off bench. jar shattered.

I am in need of vegemite now.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:59:01
From: ms spock
ID: 1993806
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

Not me. I make shit paper planes.

Damn it!

I thought I might have some type of international scoop!

I wonder if the next one will be a dodecahedron?

***sits on a chair, and pulls out some binos***

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:59:17
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993807
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Anyway my lunch is just a vegemite & lettuce sandwich.

I bought a new jar of veg. Had one sandwich. bumped jar off bench. jar shattered.

I am in need of vegemite now.

I’ve done that before as well. Don’t beat yourself up over it.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:59:33
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993808
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Anyway my lunch is just a vegemite & lettuce sandwich.

I bought a new jar of veg. Had one sandwich. bumped jar off bench. jar shattered.

I am in need of vegemite now.

That’s a rare mishap.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 13:59:36
From: ms spock
ID: 1993809
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

Not me. I make shit paper planes.

Damn it!

I thought I might have some type of international scoop!

‘Tas. Artist Gets Commission from ChiCom Party’.

Imagine how famous we will be in her reflected glory.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:01:58
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993810
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

Dia daoich one and all!

The heat here got intense this morning. I was going to plant some trees but I held off. My skin was going to burn to a crisp.

It is an amenable 24.0 °C with a 24kmh breeze or so the weather says but I didn’t notice a breeze much. just small gusts occasionally. R/H of 38%. Not too bad at all.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:02:31
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993811
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


captain_spalding said:

ms spock said:

Damn it!

I thought I might have some type of international scoop!

‘Tas. Artist Gets Commission from ChiCom Party’.

Imagine how famous we will be in her reflected glory.

Might get a suntan off it.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:02:36
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993812
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

I am glad to see that Tamb and Mr Car have their lunch sorted! Vegemite and lettuce is this a new fandangled combination or has this been going on for awhile?

Roughbarked’s bearded dragons will shortly swam and take over the world. It means so much less stress for the rest of us! :)

I usually have a salad item or two in my vegemite sandwiches.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:04:43
From: dv
ID: 1993813
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Anyway my lunch is just a vegemite & lettuce sandwich.

What kind of bread?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:06:21
From: ms spock
ID: 1993814
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


roughbarked said:

United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Apparently, this one was octagonal.
Perhaps the Chinese are playing a game of geometrical poportions?

It could be a really complex game of tetris?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:06:25
From: Tamb
ID: 1993815
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


ms spock said:

I am glad to see that Tamb and Mr Car have their lunch sorted! Vegemite and lettuce is this a new fandangled combination or has this been going on for awhile?

Roughbarked’s bearded dragons will shortly swam and take over the world. It means so much less stress for the rest of us! :)

I usually have a salad item or two in my vegemite sandwiches.


Finished off with coffee & raisin toast.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:07:24
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993816
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Bubblecar said:

Anyway my lunch is just a vegemite & lettuce sandwich.

What kind of bread?

Yes. Was it gluggy white bread or gravel rash grain?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:07:49
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993817
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Bubblecar said:

Anyway my lunch is just a vegemite & lettuce sandwich.

What kind of bread?

Cripps multigrain.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:08:01
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993818
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Apparently, this one was octagonal.
Perhaps the Chinese are playing a game of geometrical poportions?

It could be a really complex game of tetris?

It is a game of sorts. I expect more clues to be revealed.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:10:41
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1993819
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:

ms spock said:

roughbarked said:

Apparently, this one was octagonal.
Perhaps the Chinese are playing a game of geometrical poportions?

It could be a really complex game of tetris?

It is a game of sorts. I expect more clues to be revealed.

imagine the terror when they see one of Euclid’s arrows about to slam down

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:10:48
From: Tamb
ID: 1993820
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

roughbarked said:

Apparently, this one was octagonal.
Perhaps the Chinese are playing a game of geometrical poportions?

It could be a really complex game of tetris?

It is a game of sorts. I expect more clues to be revealed.


Possibly the Chinese are allowing the US access to failed tech to waste US resources on worthless efforts.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:11:32
From: ms spock
ID: 1993821
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Happy Galentines day.

My daughter smelling the roses.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Tá an cailín beag ag boladh na rósaí!
The little girl is smelling the roses!

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:13:52
From: ms spock
ID: 1993822
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Anyway my lunch is just a vegemite & lettuce sandwich.

I bought a new jar of veg. Had one sandwich. bumped jar off bench. jar shattered.

I am in need of vegemite now.

I’ve done that before as well. Don’t beat yourself up over it.

+1

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:15:14
From: ms spock
ID: 1993823
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


ms spock said:

I am glad to see that Tamb and Mr Car have their lunch sorted! Vegemite and lettuce is this a new fandangled combination or has this been going on for awhile?

Roughbarked’s bearded dragons will shortly swam and take over the world. It means so much less stress for the rest of us! :)

I usually have a salad item or two in my vegemite sandwiches.

I have been out of touch with you culinary world. I am glad to be appraised of your practices. Now I am wondering if I can serve a sandwich like that to another person, who needs more fibre in their diet!

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:15:49
From: Kingy
ID: 1993824
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Anyway my lunch is just a vegemite & lettuce sandwich.

I bought a new jar of veg. Had one sandwich. bumped jar off bench. jar shattered.

I am in need of vegemite now.

Vegemite and broken glass.

That’s about as Australian as a sandwich could get. The yanks would believe it too. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:16:22
From: ms spock
ID: 1993825
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


roughbarked said:

ms spock said:

It could be a really complex game of tetris?

It is a game of sorts. I expect more clues to be revealed.


Possibly the Chinese are allowing the US access to failed tech to waste US resources on worthless efforts.

That is a great bit of strategic thinking Tamb!

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:17:32
From: transition
ID: 1993826
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

roughbarked said:

Apparently, this one was octagonal.
Perhaps the Chinese are playing a game of geometrical poportions?

It could be a really complex game of tetris?

It is a game of sorts. I expect more clues to be revealed.

related possibly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspace

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:24:30
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1993832
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

Tamb said:

roughbarked said:

It is a game of sorts. I expect more clues to be revealed.

Possibly the Chinese are allowing the US access to failed tech to waste US resources on worthless efforts.

That is a great bit of strategic thinking Tamb!

worse is the possibility that now CHINA has put some feet in it, the USSA can get away with a few false flag craft that they can shoot down and stoke nationalistic warloving spirit with

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:26:26
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993833
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Bubblecar said:

ms spock said:

I am glad to see that Tamb and Mr Car have their lunch sorted! Vegemite and lettuce is this a new fandangled combination or has this been going on for awhile?

Roughbarked’s bearded dragons will shortly swam and take over the world. It means so much less stress for the rest of us! :)

I usually have a salad item or two in my vegemite sandwiches.

I have been out of touch with you culinary world. I am glad to be appraised of your practices. Now I am wondering if I can serve a sandwich like that to another person, who needs more fibre in their diet!

I like vegemite, cheese and tomato. This is said to be close to a ‘you can live on this’ type food.

I also like vegemite, onion and parsely. ..because for some reason it makes your brain lie to you and you taste walnuts.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:27:39
From: Tamb
ID: 1993834
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

roughbarked said:

It is a game of sorts. I expect more clues to be revealed.


Possibly the Chinese are allowing the US access to failed tech to waste US resources on worthless efforts.

That is a great bit of strategic thinking Tamb!


The CIA are infamous for their paranoia so the scenario would fit nicely.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:32:37
From: ms spock
ID: 1993837
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

ms spock said:

Tamb said:

Possibly the Chinese are allowing the US access to failed tech to waste US resources on worthless efforts.

That is a great bit of strategic thinking Tamb!

worse is the possibility that now CHINA has put some feet in it, the USSA can get away with a few false flag craft that they can shoot down and stoke nationalistic warloving spirit with

It does start to get to where certain actors can manipulate in unfortunate manners.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:38:02
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993838
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I mightn’t have any wombats or bandicoots but I do have a range of other things that dig holes in the ground. I can assure you, it is not easy soil to dig. I’ve dug a lot of holes to prove it. One needs to use a mattock or a crow bar to get anywhere at all. Of course there are the bearded dragons and the white winged choughs but there are also numerous wasps that dig. The old fave is the trapdoor spider

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:39:12
From: ms spock
ID: 1993839
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

Bubblecar said:

I usually have a salad item or two in my vegemite sandwiches.

I have been out of touch with you culinary world. I am glad to be appraised of your practices. Now I am wondering if I can serve a sandwich like that to another person, who needs more fibre in their diet!

I like vegemite, cheese and tomato. This is said to be close to a ‘you can live on this’ type food.

I also like vegemite, onion and parsely. ..because for some reason it makes your brain lie to you and you taste walnuts.

I have missed out on so much I can see!

I would never have thought of vegemite with onion or parsley and the tasting like walnuts sounds intriguing.

And now I am ready come the apocalypse I will go for the vegemite, cheese and tomato!

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:42:25
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993842
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

Bubblecar said:

I usually have a salad item or two in my vegemite sandwiches.

I have been out of touch with you culinary world. I am glad to be appraised of your practices. Now I am wondering if I can serve a sandwich like that to another person, who needs more fibre in their diet!

I like vegemite, cheese and tomato. This is said to be close to a ‘you can live on this’ type food.

I also like vegemite, onion and parsely. ..because for some reason it makes your brain lie to you and you taste walnuts.

I basically do live on tomato cheese and vegemite sangers. Toss in some lettuce or leek. Yeah. Leek is awesome.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:44:21
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993844
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

ms spock said:

I have been out of touch with you culinary world. I am glad to be appraised of your practices. Now I am wondering if I can serve a sandwich like that to another person, who needs more fibre in their diet!

I like vegemite, cheese and tomato. This is said to be close to a ‘you can live on this’ type food.

I also like vegemite, onion and parsely. ..because for some reason it makes your brain lie to you and you taste walnuts.

I have missed out on so much I can see!

I would never have thought of vegemite with onion or parsley and the tasting like walnuts sounds intriguing.

And now I am ready come the apocalypse I will go for the vegemite, cheese and tomato!

My son who was a bit fussy and didn’t like butter on his bread, would get vegemite and crushed fresh walnuts. Walnuts are plentiful here.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:44:34
From: ms spock
ID: 1993845
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

ms spock said:

I have been out of touch with you culinary world. I am glad to be appraised of your practices. Now I am wondering if I can serve a sandwich like that to another person, who needs more fibre in their diet!

I like vegemite, cheese and tomato. This is said to be close to a ‘you can live on this’ type food.

I also like vegemite, onion and parsely. ..because for some reason it makes your brain lie to you and you taste walnuts.

I basically do live on tomato cheese and vegemite sangers. Toss in some lettuce or leek. Yeah. Leek is awesome.

Quite the repertoire with the vegemite we have here! Do I feel a Woman’s Weekly Vegemite Special coming on?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:47:59
From: ms spock
ID: 1993849
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

Possibly the Chinese are allowing the US access to failed tech to waste US resources on worthless efforts.

That is a great bit of strategic thinking Tamb!


The CIA are infamous for their paranoia so the scenario would fit nicely.

And paranoia is so infectious!

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:51:34
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993850
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


roughbarked said:

Happy Galentines day.

My daughter smelling the roses.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Tá an cailín beag ag boladh na rósaí!
The little girl is smelling the roses!

This is her yesterday.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:51:44
From: Arts
ID: 1993851
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sm I was just looking around my home and realised that I have four of your wonderful pieces of art… and they bring me joy to look at.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:53:16
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993853
Subject: re: Chat February 2023





Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:55:01
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1993856
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:

I mightn’t have any wombats or bandicoots but I do have a range of other things that dig holes in the ground. I can assure you, it is not easy soil to dig. I’ve dug a lot of holes to prove it. One needs to use a mattock or a crow bar to get anywhere at all. Of course there are the bearded dragons and the white winged choughs but there are also numerous wasps that dig. The old fave is the trapdoor spider

meanwhile we just got chased by some jumping ants

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:55:03
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1993857
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sm I was just looking around my home and realised that I have four of your wonderful pieces of art… and they bring me joy to look at.

Thank you. Muchly. I could send you another if I get started again

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:56:22
From: ms spock
ID: 1993858
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

roughbarked said:

Happy Galentines day.

My daughter smelling the roses.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Tá an cailín beag ag boladh na rósaí!
The little girl is smelling the roses!

This is her yesterday.

Oh my goodness! Look at your daughter! Ó mo Dhia! Féach ar do iníon!

Tá mé chomh éad lena sicíní go léir! Cad iad a n-ainmneacha agus cad iad a gcuid pórtha?
I am so jealous of all her chickens! What are their names and what are their breeds?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:58:34
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993860
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

I mightn’t have any wombats or bandicoots but I do have a range of other things that dig holes in the ground. I can assure you, it is not easy soil to dig. I’ve dug a lot of holes to prove it. One needs to use a mattock or a crow bar to get anywhere at all. Of course there are the bearded dragons and the white winged choughs but there are also numerous wasps that dig. The old fave is the trapdoor spider

meanwhile we just got chased by some jumping ants

Chased is one thing. Jumped on and stung is yet another bowl of stinking fish.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:59:44
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993863
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


roughbarked said:

ms spock said:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Tá an cailín beag ag boladh na rósaí!
The little girl is smelling the roses!

This is her yesterday.

Oh my goodness! Look at your daughter! Ó mo Dhia! Féach ar do iníon!

Tá mé chomh éad lena sicíní go léir! Cad iad a n-ainmneacha agus cad iad a gcuid pórtha?
I am so jealous of all her chickens! What are their names and what are their breeds?

It looks to me as if it is in a friends garden. I don’t recall her telling me she has chooks.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 14:59:50
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1993864
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

I mightn’t have any wombats or bandicoots but I do have a range of other things that dig holes in the ground. I can assure you, it is not easy soil to dig. I’ve dug a lot of holes to prove it. One needs to use a mattock or a crow bar to get anywhere at all. Of course there are the bearded dragons and the white winged choughs but there are also numerous wasps that dig. The old fave is the trapdoor spider

meanwhile we just got chased by some jumping ants

Chased is one thing. Jumped on and stung is yet another bowl of stinking fish.

well we were just watching but once they started following our sway with their heads and presumably pheromoned out the army we figured it was time to leave

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 15:05:16
From: ms spock
ID: 1993872
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

roughbarked said:

This is her yesterday.

Oh my goodness! Look at your daughter! Ó mo Dhia! Féach ar do iníon!

Tá mé chomh éad lena sicíní go léir! Cad iad a n-ainmneacha agus cad iad a gcuid pórtha?
I am so jealous of all her chickens! What are their names and what are their breeds?

It looks to me as if it is in a friends garden. I don’t recall her telling me she has chooks.

She has connections with the chicken people. I am not surprised! :) I like the look of those chickens.

The contrast of the two photos are amazing. It must pull on your heart strings.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 15:06:54
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993876
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


roughbarked said:

ms spock said:

Oh my goodness! Look at your daughter! Ó mo Dhia! Féach ar do iníon!

Tá mé chomh éad lena sicíní go léir! Cad iad a n-ainmneacha agus cad iad a gcuid pórtha?
I am so jealous of all her chickens! What are their names and what are their breeds?

It looks to me as if it is in a friends garden. I don’t recall her telling me she has chooks.

She has connections with the chicken people. I am not surprised! :) I like the look of those chickens.

The contrast of the two photos are amazing. It must pull on your heart strings.

I only have one daughter but she complicated the flow of love by having two daughters herself.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 15:08:02
From: ms spock
ID: 1993879
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

roughbarked said:

It looks to me as if it is in a friends garden. I don’t recall her telling me she has chooks.

She has connections with the chicken people. I am not surprised! :) I like the look of those chickens.

The contrast of the two photos are amazing. It must pull on your heart strings.

I only have one daughter but she complicated the flow of love by having two daughters herself.

Aha!

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 15:24:38
From: ms spock
ID: 1993891
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


The premier’s brothers and two others were issued with the legal summons after they failed to respond to invitations to give evidence to the inquiry, in what the committee’s chair Sue Higginson describes as a coordinated attempt to avoid scrutiny.

NSW parliamentary inquiry takes ‘very serious’ step of requiring premier’s brothers to give evidence to Hills Shire Council inquiry

Premier Perrottet said he had not spoken to his brothers about being summonsed.

How stupid do they think people are? No one is going to believe that!

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 15:27:32
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993892
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


roughbarked said:

The premier’s brothers and two others were issued with the legal summons after they failed to respond to invitations to give evidence to the inquiry, in what the committee’s chair Sue Higginson describes as a coordinated attempt to avoid scrutiny.

NSW parliamentary inquiry takes ‘very serious’ step of requiring premier’s brothers to give evidence to Hills Shire Council inquiry

Premier Perrottet said he had not spoken to his brothers about being summonsed.

How stupid do they think people are? No one is going to believe that!

Does he speak to them at all?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 15:38:13
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1993894
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:

ms spock said:

roughbarked said:

The premier’s brothers and two others were issued with the legal summons after they failed to respond to invitations to give evidence to the inquiry, in what the committee’s chair Sue Higginson describes as a coordinated attempt to avoid scrutiny.

NSW parliamentary inquiry takes ‘very serious’ step of requiring premier’s brothers to give evidence to Hills Shire Council inquiry

Premier Perrottet said he had not spoken to his brothers about being summonsed.

How stupid do they think people are? No one is going to believe that!

Does he speak to them at all?

maybe they mean Brothers like the rest of the ring

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 15:42:44
From: Michael V
ID: 1993895
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Anyway my lunch is just a vegemite & lettuce sandwich.

I bought a new jar of veg. Had one sandwich. bumped jar off bench. jar shattered.

I am in need of vegemite now.

Bugger.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 15:44:49
From: Woodie
ID: 1993896
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Anyway my lunch is just a vegemite & lettuce sandwich.

I bought a new jar of veg. Had one sandwich. bumped jar off bench. jar shattered.

I am in need of vegemite now.

Not a happy little vegemite then are we?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 15:46:41
From: ms spock
ID: 1993897
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Russia donates 30 vehicles to Ukraine

Some of them are not even getting basic training, what can you expect?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 15:52:15
From: buffy
ID: 1993899
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

We are back, the tractor is resting in its bush shed, and I’ve sorted and organized the photos I took. I didn’t expect to see much, but I found two plants I can’t ID. I’ll iNaturalist them with a guess and see who tells me I’m wrong! Most things were pretty small today, it is mid Summer, after all. I’ll put some pictures into the Purdy Flaars thread. I also saw this beautiful Blue Ant. Not an ant, a wingless wasp. It’s a girl. The boys have wings ( I look at the Australian Museum website for details). Apparently they can sting. I just poked it with a stick to make it get out from under cover to get a couple of photos. We have them here in the garden sometimes too.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 16:02:01
From: Michael V
ID: 1993902
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


We are back, the tractor is resting in its bush shed, and I’ve sorted and organized the photos I took. I didn’t expect to see much, but I found two plants I can’t ID. I’ll iNaturalist them with a guess and see who tells me I’m wrong! Most things were pretty small today, it is mid Summer, after all. I’ll put some pictures into the Purdy Flaars thread. I also saw this beautiful Blue Ant. Not an ant, a wingless wasp. It’s a girl. The boys have wings ( I look at the Australian Museum website for details). Apparently they can sting. I just poked it with a stick to make it get out from under cover to get a couple of photos. We have them here in the garden sometimes too.


Nice one!

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 16:05:05
From: Arts
ID: 1993904
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

my brain is a bit scattered today, but I find myself being able to work if I flick from one task to another at regular intervals… once I find myself lagging on one thing, I go to a different task… I don’t usually work like this, I like to focus and power through.. but today this is working better..

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 16:05:15
From: dv
ID: 1993905
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Massive fire about 400 metres from our home, at Lido restaurant or thereabouts.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 16:06:39
From: buffy
ID: 1993906
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


roughbarked said:

United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Beijing isn’t making any further mention of “weather balloons that went ‘off course’”, i notice.

Ah, I see this was under discussion this morning. While we were driving to the bush this morning Mr buffy and I made up a story about these balloons. He says the Japanese launched balloons with explosives during WW2. I have confirmed that his knowledge is correct:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu-Go_balloon_bomb

So, we developed a story about timeslips in which what is happening now is that the FuGo balloons are coming through into our time, riding the high altitude winds and arriving in America.

It amused us to make up stories rather than listening to the radio.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 16:07:47
From: Michael V
ID: 1993908
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Massive fire about 400 metres from our home, at Lido restaurant or thereabouts.

Stay safe.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 16:08:07
From: dv
ID: 1993909
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


dv said:

Once in a Lifetime
Jerusalem
Mrs Robinson

Ummm.

What about them?

Answering that question is your task.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 16:15:56
From: Arts
ID: 1993910
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Massive fire about 400 metres from our home, at Lido restaurant or thereabouts.

can see the smoke over Kings Park

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 16:16:41
From: dv
ID: 1993911
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


dv said:

Massive fire about 400 metres from our home, at Lido restaurant or thereabouts.

Stay safe.

Cheers.
Looks like half the fire dept has been summoned so hopefully it’s under control

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 16:30:10
From: Michael V
ID: 1993919
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Michael V said:

dv said:

Massive fire about 400 metres from our home, at Lido restaurant or thereabouts.

Stay safe.

Cheers.
Looks like half the fire dept has been summoned so hopefully it’s under control

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/premises-evacuated-following-northbridge-warehouse-fire/101967232

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 16:31:12
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993920
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


We are back, the tractor is resting in its bush shed, and I’ve sorted and organized the photos I took. I didn’t expect to see much, but I found two plants I can’t ID. I’ll iNaturalist them with a guess and see who tells me I’m wrong! Most things were pretty small today, it is mid Summer, after all. I’ll put some pictures into the Purdy Flaars thread. I also saw this beautiful Blue Ant. Not an ant, a wingless wasp. It’s a girl. The boys have wings ( I look at the Australian Museum website for details). Apparently they can sting. I just poked it with a stick to make it get out from under cover to get a couple of photos. We have them here in the garden sometimes too.


That’s a pretty one.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 16:33:59
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993921
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


captain_spalding said:

roughbarked said:

United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Beijing isn’t making any further mention of “weather balloons that went ‘off course’”, i notice.

Ah, I see this was under discussion this morning. While we were driving to the bush this morning Mr buffy and I made up a story about these balloons. He says the Japanese launched balloons with explosives during WW2. I have confirmed that his knowledge is correct:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu-Go_balloon_bomb

So, we developed a story about timeslips in which what is happening now is that the FuGo balloons are coming through into our time, riding the high altitude winds and arriving in America.

It amused us to make up stories rather than listening to the radio.

So the ballons stepped out of the slide zone into modern times?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 16:36:57
From: Kingy
ID: 1993924
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


dv said:

Michael V said:

Stay safe.

Cheers.
Looks like half the fire dept has been summoned so hopefully it’s under control

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/premises-evacuated-following-northbridge-warehouse-fire/101967232

Looks busy.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 16:47:02
From: Woodie
ID: 1993929
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

captain_spalding said:

Beijing isn’t making any further mention of “weather balloons that went ‘off course’”, i notice.

Ah, I see this was under discussion this morning. While we were driving to the bush this morning Mr buffy and I made up a story about these balloons. He says the Japanese launched balloons with explosives during WW2. I have confirmed that his knowledge is correct:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu-Go_balloon_bomb

So, we developed a story about timeslips in which what is happening now is that the FuGo balloons are coming through into our time, riding the high altitude winds and arriving in America.

It amused us to make up stories rather than listening to the radio.

So the ballons stepped out of the slide zone into modern times?

They were decommissioned using kintec action according to media reports.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 16:49:19
From: dv
ID: 1993930
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

People used to make potassium nitrate (for gunpowder) out of urine and chicken shit.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 16:51:49
From: Tamb
ID: 1993933
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

Ah, I see this was under discussion this morning. While we were driving to the bush this morning Mr buffy and I made up a story about these balloons. He says the Japanese launched balloons with explosives during WW2. I have confirmed that his knowledge is correct:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu-Go_balloon_bomb

So, we developed a story about timeslips in which what is happening now is that the FuGo balloons are coming through into our time, riding the high altitude winds and arriving in America.

It amused us to make up stories rather than listening to the radio.

So the ballons stepped out of the slide zone into modern times?

They were decommissioned using kintec action according to media reports.

.
And they’ll keep coming until they get to 99 Luftballons.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 16:52:25
From: Arts
ID: 1993934
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


People used to make potassium nitrate (for gunpowder) out of urine and chicken shit.

it’s possible they still can, I suppose

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 16:55:03
From: Obviousman
ID: 1993935
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

captain_spalding said:

Beijing isn’t making any further mention of “weather balloons that went ‘off course’”, i notice.

Ah, I see this was under discussion this morning. While we were driving to the bush this morning Mr buffy and I made up a story about these balloons. He says the Japanese launched balloons with explosives during WW2. I have confirmed that his knowledge is correct:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu-Go_balloon_bomb

So, we developed a story about timeslips in which what is happening now is that the FuGo balloons are coming through into our time, riding the high altitude winds and arriving in America.

It amused us to make up stories rather than listening to the radio.

So the ballons stepped out of the slide zone into modern times?

Apart from making the original bombs look like the mass of electronic equipment the PRC tacked onto theirs, you got yourself a movie.

Tye in Unit 731 who fitted one of these balloons with a super-deadly virus, and now ‘Our Hero’ has to locate and destroy the balloon without killing the population of Cleatus Corners, USA….

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:05:17
From: ms spock
ID: 1993939
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


We are back, the tractor is resting in its bush shed, and I’ve sorted and organized the photos I took. I didn’t expect to see much, but I found two plants I can’t ID. I’ll iNaturalist them with a guess and see who tells me I’m wrong! Most things were pretty small today, it is mid Summer, after all. I’ll put some pictures into the Purdy Flaars thread. I also saw this beautiful Blue Ant. Not an ant, a wingless wasp. It’s a girl. The boys have wings ( I look at the Australian Museum website for details). Apparently they can sting. I just poked it with a stick to make it get out from under cover to get a couple of photos. We have them here in the garden sometimes too.


That’s gorgeous! I don’t like being stung though.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:07:35
From: ms spock
ID: 1993941
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


captain_spalding said:

roughbarked said:

United States military shoots down fourth flying object near Canadian border.
The US military has shot down another flying object over Lake Huron near the United States-Canadian border, in the fourth such interception by American fighters this month.

Beijing isn’t making any further mention of “weather balloons that went ‘off course’”, i notice.

Ah, I see this was under discussion this morning. While we were driving to the bush this morning Mr buffy and I made up a story about these balloons. He says the Japanese launched balloons with explosives during WW2. I have confirmed that his knowledge is correct:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu-Go_balloon_bomb

So, we developed a story about timeslips in which what is happening now is that the FuGo balloons are coming through into our time, riding the high altitude winds and arriving in America.

It amused us to make up stories rather than listening to the radio.

:)

Beidh scéal maith te do chroí agus a dhéanamh duit gáire bolg!

A a good story will warm your heart and make you belly laugh!

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:08:14
From: ms spock
ID: 1993942
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


dv said:

Massive fire about 400 metres from our home, at Lido restaurant or thereabouts.

Stay safe.

Are there explosive things? Would it be better to drive a few suburbs away?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:11:35
From: dv
ID: 1993943
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Michael V said:

dv said:

Massive fire about 400 metres from our home, at Lido restaurant or thereabouts.

Stay safe.

Are there explosive things? Would it be better to drive a few suburbs away?

I mean I doubt there is an ANFO dump. The news is reporting the centre is Kakulas Bros warehouse which has a commercial kitchen.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:14:18
From: ms spock
ID: 1993945
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


ms spock said:

Michael V said:

Stay safe.

Are there explosive things? Would it be better to drive a few suburbs away?

I mean I doubt there is an ANFO dump. The news is reporting the centre is Kakulas Bros warehouse which has a commercial kitchen.

Well that is a comfort then…

Bhuel sin compord ansin…

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:15:55
From: Arts
ID: 1993947
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


ms spock said:

Michael V said:

Stay safe.

Are there explosive things? Would it be better to drive a few suburbs away?

I mean I doubt there is an ANFO dump. The news is reporting the centre is Kakulas Bros warehouse which has a commercial kitchen.

advising people to turn their aircons off… oof

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:20:51
From: Kingy
ID: 1993949
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


ms spock said:

Michael V said:

Stay safe.

Are there explosive things? Would it be better to drive a few suburbs away?

I mean I doubt there is an ANFO dump. The news is reporting the centre is Kakulas Bros warehouse which has a commercial kitchen.

It’s not gonna buff out.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:22:34
From: buffy
ID: 1993950
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

And today one of my GangGang friends checked up on me while I was walking. I talk to them. It’s probably a good thing no-one else is around.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:22:41
From: dv
ID: 1993951
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


dv said:

ms spock said:

Are there explosive things? Would it be better to drive a few suburbs away?

I mean I doubt there is an ANFO dump. The news is reporting the centre is Kakulas Bros warehouse which has a commercial kitchen.

advising people to turn their aircons off… oof

Funnily enough we seem to be too close to be affected by the smoke… its going staight up and blowing way over our heads

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:24:12
From: Michael V
ID: 1993952
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy: any updates on the aircraft crash?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:27:22
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1993953
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

Once in a Lifetime
Jerusalem
Mrs Robinson

Ummm.

What about them?

Answering that question is your task.

Well they are all songs, I think from late 60’s, although somehow I had escaped noticing that ELP did a version of Jerusalem, which was banned by the BBC.

I don’t think the other 2 were banned though, so I suppose it must be something else linking them.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:28:05
From: Kingy
ID: 1993954
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Kingy: any updates on the aircraft crash?

No, just some rumours, which are backed up by the flightpath but no inside information.

They appear to have clipped a ridge and taken in enough fod to cripple the engines. An immediate pancake followed. Pure speculation though, we won’t know for a year or so.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:30:05
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1993955
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


dv said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Ummm.

What about them?

Answering that question is your task.

Well they are all songs, I think from late 60’s, although somehow I had escaped noticing that ELP did a version of Jerusalem, which was banned by the BBC.

I don’t think the other 2 were banned though, so I suppose it must be something else linking them.

and Once in a Lifetime was released in 1980.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:31:17
From: Kingy
ID: 1993956
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Michael V said:

Kingy: any updates on the aircraft crash?

No, just some rumours, which are backed up by the flightpath but no inside information.

They appear to have clipped a ridge and taken in enough fod to cripple the engines. An immediate pancake followed. Pure speculation though, we won’t know for a year or so.

Something like this…

https://youtu.be/O2KCYhULWZ8

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:31:32
From: ms spock
ID: 1993957
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/02/10/pro-gun-lawyer-shot-gun-mri-scanner-dies/

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:37:13
From: Michael V
ID: 1993958
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Michael V said:

Kingy: any updates on the aircraft crash?

No, just some rumours, which are backed up by the flightpath but no inside information.

They appear to have clipped a ridge and taken in enough fod to cripple the engines. An immediate pancake followed. Pure speculation though, we won’t know for a year or so.

Thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:40:31
From: Michael V
ID: 1993959
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Kingy said:

Michael V said:

Kingy: any updates on the aircraft crash?

No, just some rumours, which are backed up by the flightpath but no inside information.

They appear to have clipped a ridge and taken in enough fod to cripple the engines. An immediate pancake followed. Pure speculation though, we won’t know for a year or so.

Something like this…

https://youtu.be/O2KCYhULWZ8

Ah. Thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:40:33
From: dv
ID: 1993960
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


dv said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Ummm.

What about them?

Answering that question is your task.

Well they are all songs, I think from late 60’s, although somehow I had escaped noticing that ELP did a version of Jerusalem, which was banned by the BBC.

I don’t think the other 2 were banned though, so I suppose it must be something else linking them.

The Jerusalem I’m talking about is from 1916.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:42:01
From: dv
ID: 1993961
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

Answering that question is your task.

Well they are all songs, I think from late 60’s, although somehow I had escaped noticing that ELP did a version of Jerusalem, which was banned by the BBC.

I don’t think the other 2 were banned though, so I suppose it must be something else linking them.

and Once in a Lifetime was released in 1980.

So basically they are all from the late 1960s except for two of them. That’s probably not it.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 17:56:56
From: Michael V
ID: 1993963
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Anybody else having trouble reaching abc news stories?

This is on my error page:

This site can’t be reached

Check if there is a typo in www.abc.net.au.

If spelling is correct, try running windows network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:00:14
From: Michael V
ID: 1993964
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Anybody else having trouble reaching abc news stories?

This is on my error page:

This site can’t be reached

Check if there is a typo in www.abc.net.au.

If spelling is correct, try running windows network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Aunty is down.

https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/abc.net.au

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:00:37
From: Woodie
ID: 1993965
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Anybody else having trouble reaching abc news stories?

This is on my error page:

This site can’t be reached

Check if there is a typo in www.abc.net.au.

If spelling is correct, try running windows network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

ditto.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:00:58
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1993966
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Anybody else having trouble reaching abc news stories?

This is on my error page:

This site can’t be reached

Check if there is a typo in www.abc.net.au.

If spelling is correct, try running windows network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

ABC is down here.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:02:57
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993968
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Michael V said:

Anybody else having trouble reaching abc news stories?

This is on my error page:

This site can’t be reached

Check if there is a typo in www.abc.net.au.

If spelling is correct, try running windows network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

ABC is down here.

Working fine here.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:02:58
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1993969
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Michael V said:

Anybody else having trouble reaching abc news stories?

This is on my error page:

This site can’t be reached

Check if there is a typo in www.abc.net.au.

If spelling is correct, try running windows network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

ABC is down here.

Working fine here.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:03:15
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1993970
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Well they are all songs, I think from late 60’s, although somehow I had escaped noticing that ELP did a version of Jerusalem, which was banned by the BBC.

I don’t think the other 2 were banned though, so I suppose it must be something else linking them.

and Once in a Lifetime was released in 1980.

So basically they are all from the late 1960s except for two of them. That’s probably not it.

So do I have to go and look up the lyrics, or is it something else?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:09:09
From: Michael V
ID: 1993971
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Bubblecar said:

Michael V said:

Anybody else having trouble reaching abc news stories?

This is on my error page:

This site can’t be reached

Check if there is a typo in www.abc.net.au.

If spelling is correct, try running windows network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

ABC is down here.

Working fine here.

Could you check again, please? I have used a couple of checking sites. They both say abc.net.au is down.

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/abc.net.au.html

https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/abc.net.au

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:11:59
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1993972
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


captain_spalding said:

Bubblecar said:

ABC is down here.

Working fine here.

Could you check again, please? I have used a couple of checking sites. They both say abc.net.au is down.

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/abc.net.au.html

https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/abc.net.au

ABC down for me.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:17:03
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1993973
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Michael V said:

Kingy: any updates on the aircraft crash?

No, just some rumours, which are backed up by the flightpath but no inside information.

They appear to have clipped a ridge and taken in enough fod to cripple the engines. An immediate pancake followed. Pure speculation though, we won’t know for a year or so.

That was my guess as well. They are extremely luck to be able to walk away from that.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:18:35
From: transition
ID: 1993975
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Anybody else having trouble reaching abc news stories?

This is on my error page:

This site can’t be reached

Check if there is a typo in www.abc.net.au.

If spelling is correct, try running windows network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

bit bwoken momentarily I sees

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:19:54
From: Michael V
ID: 1993976
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Here’s a recipe for an odd ingredient:

https://misschinesefood.com/fried-silkworm-pupa/

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:20:27
From: transition
ID: 1993977
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Michael V said:

Anybody else having trouble reaching abc news stories?

This is on my error page:

This site can’t be reached

Check if there is a typo in www.abc.net.au.

If spelling is correct, try running windows network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

bit bwoken momentarily I sees

firefox said

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at www.abc.net.au.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:20:54
From: ms spock
ID: 1993978
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

New Psychological Training Op to Beat Putin’s Army Revealed

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:21:44
From: ms spock
ID: 1993979
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

How is The Patient going today Mr V?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:27:40
From: Michael V
ID: 1993980
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

How is The Patient going today Mr V?

OK. She walked too fast yesterday on her 2.2 km walk and suffered all day. Today she walked slower and only 1.8 km. She is feeling better now, so tomorrow I expect a longer, but slower walk than yesterday.

Both of us are suffering from this oppressive weather. I just can’t concentrate on anything.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:30:22
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993981
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


And today one of my GangGang friends checked up on me while I was walking. I talk to them. It’s probably a good thing no-one else is around.


I talk to the birds as well. So you are not alone.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:32:16
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993982
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Anybody else having trouble reaching abc news stories?

This is on my error page:

This site can’t be reached

Check if there is a typo in www.abc.net.au.

If spelling is correct, try running windows network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:33:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1993983
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Michael V said:

captain_spalding said:

Working fine here.

Could you check again, please? I have used a couple of checking sites. They both say abc.net.au is down.

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/abc.net.au.html

https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/abc.net.au

ABC down for me.

It is down all true.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:37:14
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1993984
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

And today one of my GangGang friends checked up on me while I was walking. I talk to them. It’s probably a good thing no-one else is around.


I talk to the birds as well. So you are not alone.

That will be of great comfort to Buffy… :-p

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:40:43
From: ms spock
ID: 1993985
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


ms spock said:

How is The Patient going today Mr V?

OK. She walked too fast yesterday on her 2.2 km walk and suffered all day. Today she walked slower and only 1.8 km. She is feeling better now, so tomorrow I expect a longer, but slower walk than yesterday.

Both of us are suffering from this oppressive weather. I just can’t concentrate on anything.

Oh the weather is a terrible shocker Mr V. It’s not suprising you can’t concentrate!

Walking too fast on the wild side! I have heard it can cause problems! ;)

It’s hard to have a bit of a set back and suffer the next day, but I am hoping that The Patient will have a better one tomorrow!

1.8 km at a slower pace sounds wise to me, who knows absolutely nothing about these things.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:41:27
From: ms spock
ID: 1993986
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

And today one of my GangGang friends checked up on me while I was walking. I talk to them. It’s probably a good thing no-one else is around.


I talk to the birds as well. So you are not alone.

That will be of great comfort to Buffy… :-p

And me three!

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:48:50
From: transition
ID: 1993987
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


transition said:

Michael V said:

Anybody else having trouble reaching abc news stories?

This is on my error page:

This site can’t be reached

Check if there is a typo in www.abc.net.au.

If spelling is correct, try running windows network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

bit bwoken momentarily I sees

firefox said

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at www.abc.net.au.

thinking maybe no vision on free to air too

but not that familiar with this TV

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:52:15
From: Michael V
ID: 1993988
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


transition said:

transition said:

bit bwoken momentarily I sees

firefox said

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at www.abc.net.au.

thinking maybe no vision on free to air too

but not that familiar with this TV

abc.net.au is working now.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:53:02
From: transition
ID: 1993989
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


transition said:

transition said:

bit bwoken momentarily I sees

firefox said

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at www.abc.net.au.

thinking maybe no vision on free to air too

but not that familiar with this TV

dunno weird stuff happening with (this) TV

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:54:36
From: transition
ID: 1993991
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


transition said:

transition said:

firefox said

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at www.abc.net.au.

thinking maybe no vision on free to air too

but not that familiar with this TV

abc.net.au is working now.

:)

sees that, here too

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 18:55:29
From: transition
ID: 1993992
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


transition said:

transition said:

firefox said

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at www.abc.net.au.

thinking maybe no vision on free to air too

but not that familiar with this TV

dunno weird stuff happening with (this) TV

rebooted TV fixed that

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 19:06:10
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1993993
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

12 new moons of Jupiter were discovered, bringing the total to 92 and beating Saturn

In 2019, Saturn pushed ahead of Jupiter as the planet with the most moons in our solar system. Now, however, Jupiter’s moon count has been revised thanks to the discovery of 12 new moons, bringing it back above Saturn’s total of 83 with a new grand total of 92 moons.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 19:12:48
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1993994
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Just looked up “critical race theory” on TATE, because although I hear the term all the time, I don’t actually know what it is.

Here’s what it says:

“Critical race theory (CRT) is a cross-disciplinary examination – by social and civil-rights scholars and activists – of how laws, social and political movements, and media shape, and are shaped by, social conceptions of race and ethnicity. Goals include challenging all mainstream and “alternative” views of racism and racial justice, including conservative, liberal, and progressive. The word critical in the name is an academic reference to critical thinking, critical theory, and scholarly criticism, rather than criticizing or blaming people.”

So that’s all right then.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 19:24:28
From: buffy
ID: 1993995
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Is dv still getting smoked?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 19:34:36
From: dv
ID: 1993996
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Is dv still getting smoked?

The fire seems to be out or at least much diminished.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 19:37:22
From: dv
ID: 1993997
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’ll put Rev out of his misery. They all start with the word “and”, which is unusual and unconventional.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 19:45:47
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1993998
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I’ll put Rev out of his misery. They all start with the word “and”, which is unusual and unconventional.

Only one of them is even in the top ten:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/the-top-ten-songs-that-begin-with-and-a6854746.html

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 19:52:17
From: dv
ID: 1994000
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


dv said:

I’ll put Rev out of his misery. They all start with the word “and”, which is unusual and unconventional.

Only one of them is even in the top ten:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/the-top-ten-songs-that-begin-with-and-a6854746.html

By what criteria?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 19:59:58
From: Michael V
ID: 1994001
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


buffy said:

Is dv still getting smoked?

The fire seems to be out or at least much diminished.

That’s good.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 20:05:08
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994003
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

Michael V said:

Could you check again, please? I have used a couple of checking sites. They both say abc.net.au is down.

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/abc.net.au.html

https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/abc.net.au

ABC down for me.

It is down all true.

I blame octagonal objects.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 20:09:30
From: ms spock
ID: 1994005
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


roughbarked said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

ABC down for me.

It is down all true.

I blame octagonal objects.

***nods***

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 20:16:57
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994006
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

I’ll put Rev out of his misery. They all start with the word “and”, which is unusual and unconventional.

Only one of them is even in the top ten:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/the-top-ten-songs-that-begin-with-and-a6854746.html

By what criteria?

Presumably the opinion of whoever wrote it.

FWIW I would have given Mrs Robinson a top 10 slot myself.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 20:30:44
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994007
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reporter: …Mr President, to your knowledge, are any of these objects from outer space?
Biden: I’m sorry boys, I have no comment to make on that for the time being…
Reporters (all rhubarbing at once): Hey but wait Mr Pres Oh Mr President! hey mutter shout now well whaddya wait a minute but you…
President’s Aide: Sorry boys, that’s all the president has to say at this juncture.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 20:31:27
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994008
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sister is back on the water colours today.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 20:31:54
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994009
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sister is back on the water colours today.


:)

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 20:37:10
From: poikilotherm
ID: 1994010
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Some of you nerds might like this shop;

https://www.the-odin.com/

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 20:40:49
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994011
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

poikilotherm said:


Some of you nerds might like this shop;

https://www.the-odin.com/

It’s all good clean fun until someone turns their kid into a jellyfish.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 20:41:26
From: buffy
ID: 1994012
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

sister is back on the water colours today.


:)

I’ve just done some more of the Southern Moon Moth. I always hate things when they are half done. I hope I like it when I finish him. I’m presently doing filling in around the bottom left side of the wing with 2 strand, the dark brown and a lighter brown. Very small stitches.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 20:45:25
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994013
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

sister is back on the water colours today.


:)

I’ve just done some more of the Southern Moon Moth. I always hate things when they are half done. I hope I like it when I finish him. I’m presently doing filling in around the bottom left side of the wing with 2 strand, the dark brown and a lighter brown. Very small stitches.

Good stuff Buffy.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 20:48:23
From: buffy
ID: 1994014
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


buffy said:

Bubblecar said:

:)

I’ve just done some more of the Southern Moon Moth. I always hate things when they are half done. I hope I like it when I finish him. I’m presently doing filling in around the bottom left side of the wing with 2 strand, the dark brown and a lighter brown. Very small stitches.

Good stuff Buffy.

:)

You did moths a couple of years ago, didn’t you? Did you base them on real ones, or did you make fantasy moths?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 20:50:11
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994016
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


sarahs mum said:

buffy said:

I’ve just done some more of the Southern Moon Moth. I always hate things when they are half done. I hope I like it when I finish him. I’m presently doing filling in around the bottom left side of the wing with 2 strand, the dark brown and a lighter brown. Very small stitches.

Good stuff Buffy.

:)

You did moths a couple of years ago, didn’t you? Did you base them on real ones, or did you make fantasy moths?

They started off being based on Tassie moths but I kept on playing with the plates….they became fantasy moths.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 20:50:45
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994017
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

sister is back on the water colours today.


:)

I’ve just done some more of the Southern Moon Moth. I always hate things when they are half done. I hope I like it when I finish him. I’m presently doing filling in around the bottom left side of the wing with 2 strand, the dark brown and a lighter brown. Very small stitches.


Goodo, keep ‘em coming.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 20:53:51
From: buffy
ID: 1994018
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


buffy said:

sarahs mum said:

Good stuff Buffy.

:)

You did moths a couple of years ago, didn’t you? Did you base them on real ones, or did you make fantasy moths?

They started off being based on Tassie moths but I kept on playing with the plates….they became fantasy moths.

I think that may be Destiny with these embroidered ones too.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 20:59:01
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994019
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


sarahs mum said:

buffy said:

You did moths a couple of years ago, didn’t you? Did you base them on real ones, or did you make fantasy moths?

They started off being based on Tassie moths but I kept on playing with the plates….they became fantasy moths.

I think that may be Destiny with these embroidered ones too.

:)

I was trying to make lots of different moths. I started with 6 plates.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 21:00:32
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994020
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


sarahs mum said:

buffy said:

You did moths a couple of years ago, didn’t you? Did you base them on real ones, or did you make fantasy moths?

They started off being based on Tassie moths but I kept on playing with the plates….they became fantasy moths.

I think that may be Destiny with these embroidered ones too.

:)

The Ross sister does fantasy beetles and butterflies, but also some portraits of real ones.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 21:02:41
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994021
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


buffy said:

sarahs mum said:

They started off being based on Tassie moths but I kept on playing with the plates….they became fantasy moths.

I think that may be Destiny with these embroidered ones too.

:)

The Ross sister does fantasy beetles and butterflies, but also some portraits of real ones.

Lovely. Fashioned critters.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 21:05:59
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1994022
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

sister is back on the water colours today.


:)

I’ve just done some more of the Southern Moon Moth. I always hate things when they are half done. I hope I like it when I finish him. I’m presently doing filling in around the bottom left side of the wing with 2 strand, the dark brown and a lighter brown. Very small stitches.

Seems to have many common names

Owlet Moth – Dasypodia selenophora

Dasypodia selenophora is a most attractive moth from the Noctuidae family and when it opens its broad wings to fly, it is easy to see its resemblance to the Owlet birds. However, for some reason that completely eludes me, this beautiful moth also has a common name of ‘Southern Old Lady Moth.’ I can only guess that some entomologists work too hard! The term Owlet Moths acually refer to all the moths in the family Noctuidae, which is an exceptionally large one with over 35,000 described species world wide, but the Owlet Moth name is no doubt more applicable to some species (like this one), as the top right photograph illustrates.

http://esperancewildlife.blogspot.com/2009/05/owlet-moth-dasypodia-selenophora.html

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 21:06:23
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994023
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

buffy said:

I think that may be Destiny with these embroidered ones too.

:)

The Ross sister does fantasy beetles and butterflies, but also some portraits of real ones.

Lovely. Fashioned critters.

More of the Ross sister’s stuff here. She sells some of it through the shop sister’s shop.

https://www.instagram.com/winter_moon_handwork/

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 21:08:08
From: dv
ID: 1994024
Subject: re: Chat February 2023
500 is a social card game and was highly popular in the United States until around 1920 when first auction bridge and then contract bridge drove it from favour. It continues to be popular in Ohio and Pennsylvania, where it has been taught through six generations community-wide, and in other countries: Australia, New Zealand, Canada (especially Ontario and Quebec) and Shetland. Despite its American origin, 500 is the national card game of Australia.
Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 21:11:00
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994025
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

The Ross sister does fantasy beetles and butterflies, but also some portraits of real ones.

Lovely. Fashioned critters.

More of the Ross sister’s stuff here. She sells some of it through the shop sister’s shop.

https://www.instagram.com/winter_moon_handwork/

From her Instagram page. As you can see she shares the family dresser fetish :)

Our dad made that red one on the left.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 21:16:53
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994026
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


500 is a social card game and was highly popular in the United States until around 1920 when first auction bridge and then contract bridge drove it from favour. It continues to be popular in Ohio and Pennsylvania, where it has been taught through six generations community-wide, and in other countries: Australia, New Zealand, Canada (especially Ontario and Quebec) and Shetland. Despite its American origin, 500 is the national card game of Australia.

Haven’t played since Darwin. Me, George and Pam used to sit around the kitchen table playing 3 handed 500.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 21:33:34
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994027
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


500 is a social card game and was highly popular in the United States until around 1920 when first auction bridge and then contract bridge drove it from favour. It continues to be popular in Ohio and Pennsylvania, where it has been taught through six generations community-wide, and in other countries: Australia, New Zealand, Canada (especially Ontario and Quebec) and Shetland. Despite its American origin, 500 is the national card game of Australia.

i grew up playing 500. i was the dummy hand before one day I bid no trumps and then 10 no trumps. and then won.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 21:35:21
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994028
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

The Ross sister does fantasy beetles and butterflies, but also some portraits of real ones.

Lovely. Fashioned critters.

More of the Ross sister’s stuff here. She sells some of it through the shop sister’s shop.

https://www.instagram.com/winter_moon_handwork/

that’s lovely work.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 21:50:23
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994029
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


500 is a social card game and was highly popular in the United States until around 1920 when first auction bridge and then contract bridge drove it from favour. It continues to be popular in Ohio and Pennsylvania, where it has been taught through six generations community-wide, and in other countries: Australia, New Zealand, Canada (especially Ontario and Quebec) and Shetland. Despite its American origin, 500 is the national card game of Australia.

sniffs

Bridge is the game for real card players.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 21:52:04
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994030
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


dv said:

500 is a social card game and was highly popular in the United States until around 1920 when first auction bridge and then contract bridge drove it from favour. It continues to be popular in Ohio and Pennsylvania, where it has been taught through six generations community-wide, and in other countries: Australia, New Zealand, Canada (especially Ontario and Quebec) and Shetland. Despite its American origin, 500 is the national card game of Australia.

sniffs

Bridge is the game for real card players.

and since when was Shetland a country?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 21:52:51
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994031
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

view from Heidi’s

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 21:53:40
From: dv
ID: 1994032
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

500 is a social card game and was highly popular in the United States until around 1920 when first auction bridge and then contract bridge drove it from favour. It continues to be popular in Ohio and Pennsylvania, where it has been taught through six generations community-wide, and in other countries: Australia, New Zealand, Canada (especially Ontario and Quebec) and Shetland. Despite its American origin, 500 is the national card game of Australia.

sniffs

Bridge is the game for real card players.

and since when was Shetland a country?

And why did 500 take off there?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 21:54:41
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994033
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

sniffs

Bridge is the game for real card players.

and since when was Shetland a country?

And why did 500 take off there?

You’ll have to ask the Shets.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 21:58:11
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994034
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:

view from Heidi’s

That’s a lovely view.

L’Astrolabe is a French icebreaker used for supplying their Dumont d’Urville Station in Antarctica.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 22:01:12
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994035
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

sniffs

Bridge is the game for real card players.

and since when was Shetland a country?

And why did 500 take off there?

Bower is an Anglicization of the German Bauer, a word meaning farmer, peasant, or pawn. This name is often used to refer to the Jack of German games.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 22:03:23
From: Kingy
ID: 1994036
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

It’s been a busy few days for the air force.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 22:05:08
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994037
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:

sniffs

Bridge is the game for real card players.

I was reading just the the other day about the sinking of u-boat U-99 (Otto Kretschmer in command).

Sunk by destroyer HMS Walker on 17 March 1941, Kretschmer and almost all of the u-boat crew were rescued by Walker.

The Walker’s first lieutenant was a mad keen bridge player, and was now able to put together a foursome for the first time since the war started.

While the first lieutenant said it was the best bridge game he’d ever played in, it was a strange one, with him, another officer, and Otto Kretschmer in three chairs, and the captain of the merchant ship Venetia being the fourth. Krestchmer’s U-99 had sunk the Venetia the day before.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 22:05:43
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994038
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

pork sausages. smashed pink eyes.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 22:07:01
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994039
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


pork sausages. smashed pink eyes.

That sounds fortifying.

Just another eggmess this end. Doing a Coles order this week.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 22:08:10
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994040
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

pork sausages. smashed pink eyes.

That sounds fortifying.

Just another eggmess this end. Doing a Coles order this week.

We had egg fried rice with prawns.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 22:10:48
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994041
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

pork sausages. smashed pink eyes.

That sounds fortifying.

Just another eggmess this end. Doing a Coles order this week.

We had egg fried rice with prawns.

I’ll be ordering some prawns.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 22:11:31
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994042
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

view from Heidi’s

That’s a lovely view.

L’Astrolabe is a French icebreaker used for supplying their Dumont d’Urville Station in Antarctica.


Presumably now back in action:

>L’Astrolabe was deployed in the Indian Ocean in 2017, and carried out her first resupply mission to the Dumont d’Urville Station in Adélie Land, Antarctica, in 2018.

In November 2019, a major defect in the ship’s propeller forced L’Astrolabe to cancel the resupply mission to France’s Antarctic research stations. French expeditioners, cargo and supplies will instead be carried on the Australian icebreaker Aurora Australis which was made available by the Australian Antarctic Division.

In spring 2021 the ship engaged in a surveillance and fisheries patrol mission around the Scattered Islands and Mayotte to monitor the French Exclusive Economic Zones (EEZs).

Most recently in September 2021 the ship docked at the BAE Systems Shipyard near Fremantle, Western Australia for some out of water repairs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Astrolabe_(2016_icebreaker)

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 22:14:30
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994043
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

view from Heidi’s

That’s a lovely view.

L’Astrolabe is a French icebreaker used for supplying their Dumont d’Urville Station in Antarctica.


Presumably now back in action:

>L’Astrolabe was deployed in the Indian Ocean in 2017, and carried out her first resupply mission to the Dumont d’Urville Station in Adélie Land, Antarctica, in 2018.

In November 2019, a major defect in the ship’s propeller forced L’Astrolabe to cancel the resupply mission to France’s Antarctic research stations. French expeditioners, cargo and supplies will instead be carried on the Australian icebreaker Aurora Australis which was made available by the Australian Antarctic Division.

In spring 2021 the ship engaged in a surveillance and fisheries patrol mission around the Scattered Islands and Mayotte to monitor the French Exclusive Economic Zones (EEZs).

Most recently in September 2021 the ship docked at the BAE Systems Shipyard near Fremantle, Western Australia for some out of water repairs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Astrolabe_(2016_icebreaker)

maybe can’t get close to docks due to all the wooden boats everywhere.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 22:17:54
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994044
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

That’s a lovely view.

L’Astrolabe is a French icebreaker used for supplying their Dumont d’Urville Station in Antarctica.


Presumably now back in action:

>L’Astrolabe was deployed in the Indian Ocean in 2017, and carried out her first resupply mission to the Dumont d’Urville Station in Adélie Land, Antarctica, in 2018.

In November 2019, a major defect in the ship’s propeller forced L’Astrolabe to cancel the resupply mission to France’s Antarctic research stations. French expeditioners, cargo and supplies will instead be carried on the Australian icebreaker Aurora Australis which was made available by the Australian Antarctic Division.

In spring 2021 the ship engaged in a surveillance and fisheries patrol mission around the Scattered Islands and Mayotte to monitor the French Exclusive Economic Zones (EEZs).

Most recently in September 2021 the ship docked at the BAE Systems Shipyard near Fremantle, Western Australia for some out of water repairs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Astrolabe_(2016_icebreaker)

maybe can’t get close to docks due to all the wooden boats everywhere.

Anna’s husband had a look around the boat festival the other day. Anna herself is not really mobile enough for that kind of gig these days.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 22:25:28
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994045
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Presumably now back in action:

>L’Astrolabe was deployed in the Indian Ocean in 2017, and carried out her first resupply mission to the Dumont d’Urville Station in Adélie Land, Antarctica, in 2018.

In November 2019, a major defect in the ship’s propeller forced L’Astrolabe to cancel the resupply mission to France’s Antarctic research stations. French expeditioners, cargo and supplies will instead be carried on the Australian icebreaker Aurora Australis which was made available by the Australian Antarctic Division.

In spring 2021 the ship engaged in a surveillance and fisheries patrol mission around the Scattered Islands and Mayotte to monitor the French Exclusive Economic Zones (EEZs).

Most recently in September 2021 the ship docked at the BAE Systems Shipyard near Fremantle, Western Australia for some out of water repairs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Astrolabe_(2016_icebreaker)

maybe can’t get close to docks due to all the wooden boats everywhere.

Anna’s husband had a look around the boat festival the other day. Anna herself is not really mobile enough for that kind of gig these days.

Dropbear went. He posted on facebook. Also did MONA which he didn’t like.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 22:31:05
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994046
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 22:56:27
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994048
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

sniffs

Bridge is the game for real card players.

and since when was Shetland a country?

And why did 500 take off there?

It wass very popular when I left school me and my mates used to have a 500 card night about once a week.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 23:09:15
From: party_pants
ID: 1994049
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


dv said:

500 is a social card game and was highly popular in the United States until around 1920 when first auction bridge and then contract bridge drove it from favour. It continues to be popular in Ohio and Pennsylvania, where it has been taught through six generations community-wide, and in other countries: Australia, New Zealand, Canada (especially Ontario and Quebec) and Shetland. Despite its American origin, 500 is the national card game of Australia.

sniffs

Bridge is the game for real card players.

Never played bridge, but many a social game of 500 on family occasions. Always preferable to Monopoly or Pictionary.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 23:17:30
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994050
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

500 is a social card game and was highly popular in the United States until around 1920 when first auction bridge and then contract bridge drove it from favour. It continues to be popular in Ohio and Pennsylvania, where it has been taught through six generations community-wide, and in other countries: Australia, New Zealand, Canada (especially Ontario and Quebec) and Shetland. Despite its American origin, 500 is the national card game of Australia.

sniffs

Bridge is the game for real card players.

Never played bridge, but many a social game of 500 on family occasions. Always preferable to Monopoly or Pictionary.

I really don’t like monopoly.

We used to mostly play 500. cribbage when it was a game for two. Occasionally canasta. Chess draughts and fox and hounds.

doing night shifts in the 70s and 80s was more 500 and canasta, and euchre too.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 23:20:43
From: party_pants
ID: 1994051
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


party_pants said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

sniffs

Bridge is the game for real card players.

Never played bridge, but many a social game of 500 on family occasions. Always preferable to Monopoly or Pictionary.

I really don’t like monopoly.

We used to mostly play 500. cribbage when it was a game for two. Occasionally canasta. Chess draughts and fox and hounds.

doing night shifts in the 70s and 80s was more 500 and canasta, and euchre too.

Oh yeah, Euchre, We used to play that endlessly in our share house. And Rummy.

Until we got a pool table.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 23:22:37
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994052
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


sarahs mum said:

party_pants said:

Never played bridge, but many a social game of 500 on family occasions. Always preferable to Monopoly or Pictionary.

I really don’t like monopoly.

We used to mostly play 500. cribbage when it was a game for two. Occasionally canasta. Chess draughts and fox and hounds.

doing night shifts in the 70s and 80s was more 500 and canasta, and euchre too.

Oh yeah, Euchre, We used to play that endlessly in our share house. And Rummy.

Until we got a pool table.

didn’t play rummy or old maid until grown up.

lots of scrabble.


1904.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 23:23:19
From: Michael V
ID: 1994053
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’ve played Bridge a couple of times; it was OK.

I much prefer 500.

I learnt it when I worked for the Registrar General’s Department (Birth, Deaths and Marriages), NSW by watching the bosses play it at lunch-time. One day, one of the players was on sick report, so I was asked to stand in. I said I didn’t know how to play. The Big Boss said “Nonsense Michael, you’ve been watching us play for months now. You should have picked up quite a bit. You’ll play.” So I partnered him and we won. And we did so for a week. After that I stood in for others. And then I got to play it elsewhere. I haven’t played for years though.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 23:26:18
From: Michael V
ID: 1994054
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


sarahs mum said:

party_pants said:

Never played bridge, but many a social game of 500 on family occasions. Always preferable to Monopoly or Pictionary.

I really don’t like monopoly.

We used to mostly play 500. cribbage when it was a game for two. Occasionally canasta. Chess draughts and fox and hounds.

doing night shifts in the 70s and 80s was more 500 and canasta, and euchre too.

Oh yeah, Euchre, We used to play that endlessly in our share house. And Rummy.

Until we got a pool table.

The same BDM mob played Euchre morning and afternoon tea-times too. That’s how I learnt that game.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 23:28:59
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994055
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


I’ve played Bridge a couple of times; it was OK.

I much prefer 500.

I learnt it when I worked for the Registrar General’s Department (Birth, Deaths and Marriages), NSW by watching the bosses play it at lunch-time. One day, one of the players was on sick report, so I was asked to stand in. I said I didn’t know how to play. The Big Boss said “Nonsense Michael, you’ve been watching us play for months now. You should have picked up quite a bit. You’ll play.” So I partnered him and we won. And we did so for a week. After that I stood in for others. And then I got to play it elsewhere. I haven’t played for years though.

I play some games online nowadays. but brett refused to play games. damn anti soccial marriage that was..

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 23:31:17
From: Michael V
ID: 1994056
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


sarahs mum said:

party_pants said:

Never played bridge, but many a social game of 500 on family occasions. Always preferable to Monopoly or Pictionary.

I really don’t like monopoly.

We used to mostly play 500. cribbage when it was a game for two. Occasionally canasta. Chess draughts and fox and hounds.

doing night shifts in the 70s and 80s was more 500 and canasta, and euchre too.

Oh yeah, Euchre, We used to play that endlessly in our share house. And Rummy.

Until we got a pool table.

I learnt how to play Pool at Uni, although I had had a few games before then. The best player at Uni was a Philosophy Senior Lecturer, who was a white wine alcoholic. I never saw him sober.

The bloke across the road has a pool table and we have a few doubles games a month. He’s far better than me. But I still enjoy the game.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 23:34:19
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994057
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The death toll from the catastrophic earthquake that hit Turkey and Syria has climbed over 35,000 as UN aid officials push for more aid access to rebel-controlled north-western Syria, where only one crossing from Turkey is open.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/13/turkey-and-syria-earthquake-death-toll-passes-35000

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 23:35:48
From: party_pants
ID: 1994058
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


party_pants said:

sarahs mum said:

I really don’t like monopoly.

We used to mostly play 500. cribbage when it was a game for two. Occasionally canasta. Chess draughts and fox and hounds.

doing night shifts in the 70s and 80s was more 500 and canasta, and euchre too.

Oh yeah, Euchre, We used to play that endlessly in our share house. And Rummy.

Until we got a pool table.

I learnt how to play Pool at Uni, although I had had a few games before then. The best player at Uni was a Philosophy Senior Lecturer, who was a white wine alcoholic. I never saw him sober.

The bloke across the road has a pool table and we have a few doubles games a month. He’s far better than me. But I still enjoy the game.

I got reasonably good at it in my early 20s, thanks to lots of practice. A friend of one of my housemates used to come around often to play, eventually he learned what days off I had from uni. I learned many tips from him. even bought my own 2-piece cue. I haven’t played in years, of course.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 23:54:20
From: Michael V
ID: 1994061
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


The death toll from the catastrophic earthquake that hit Turkey and Syria has climbed over 35,000 as UN aid officials push for more aid access to rebel-controlled north-western Syria, where only one crossing from Turkey is open.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/13/turkey-and-syria-earthquake-death-toll-passes-35000

Yeah.

:(

Death toll will be at least double that.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2023 23:57:07
From: party_pants
ID: 1994062
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

The death toll from the catastrophic earthquake that hit Turkey and Syria has climbed over 35,000 as UN aid officials push for more aid access to rebel-controlled north-western Syria, where only one crossing from Turkey is open.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/13/turkey-and-syria-earthquake-death-toll-passes-35000

Yeah.

:(

Death toll will be at least double that.

:(

I heard on the radio news today they have started arresting hundreds of builders and architects over poorly constructed apartment buildings.

Shutting the gate after the horse … etc.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 00:00:54
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994063
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Michael V said:

party_pants said:

Oh yeah, Euchre, We used to play that endlessly in our share house. And Rummy.

Until we got a pool table.

I learnt how to play Pool at Uni, although I had had a few games before then. The best player at Uni was a Philosophy Senior Lecturer, who was a white wine alcoholic. I never saw him sober.

The bloke across the road has a pool table and we have a few doubles games a month. He’s far better than me. But I still enjoy the game.

I got reasonably good at it in my early 20s, thanks to lots of practice. A friend of one of my housemates used to come around often to play, eventually he learned what days off I had from uni. I learned many tips from him. even bought my own 2-piece cue. I haven’t played in years, of course.

Dad, bro-in-law and I used to occasionally visit a pool hall on a Saturday night for a few games and a few drinks.

Seems such a long time ago now, probably ‘cos it was.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 00:01:47
From: Michael V
ID: 1994064
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

This hot humid weather is difficult and debilitating. (It’s a BoM heatwave.)

Currently 26.0°C and 85% RH in this room.

I’m dripping with sweat.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 00:06:07
From: Michael V
ID: 1994068
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

The death toll from the catastrophic earthquake that hit Turkey and Syria has climbed over 35,000 as UN aid officials push for more aid access to rebel-controlled north-western Syria, where only one crossing from Turkey is open.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/13/turkey-and-syria-earthquake-death-toll-passes-35000

Yeah.

:(

Death toll will be at least double that.

:(

I heard on the radio news today they have started arresting hundreds of builders and architects over poorly constructed apartment buildings.

Shutting the gate after the horse … etc.

Their President, Erdogan, gave then the the go-ahead for that. He’s pretending he didn’t. I hope the people remember, come the May elections.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 00:06:23
From: wookiemeister
ID: 1994069
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

The death toll from the catastrophic earthquake that hit Turkey and Syria has climbed over 35,000 as UN aid officials push for more aid access to rebel-controlled north-western Syria, where only one crossing from Turkey is open.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/13/turkey-and-syria-earthquake-death-toll-passes-35000

Yeah.

:(

Death toll will be at least double that.

:(

I heard on the radio news today they have started arresting hundreds of builders and architects over poorly constructed apartment buildings.

Shutting the gate after the horse … etc.


its been going on for years in these countries

zero building standards and inspection – when a quake comes along they all fall over. in egypt some building fell over because they used beach sand in the concrete.

earthquakes are prevalent in these areas, when you visit didyma you find a huge greek temple with huge fallen columns laying around.

until people are prepared to complain about building standards and simply refuse to buy and live in unsafe buildings…..

who’s to say there won’t be another massive earthquake along in another few days and a few more buildings won’t collapse ?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 00:06:31
From: Michael V
ID: 1994070
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


party_pants said:

Michael V said:

I learnt how to play Pool at Uni, although I had had a few games before then. The best player at Uni was a Philosophy Senior Lecturer, who was a white wine alcoholic. I never saw him sober.

The bloke across the road has a pool table and we have a few doubles games a month. He’s far better than me. But I still enjoy the game.

I got reasonably good at it in my early 20s, thanks to lots of practice. A friend of one of my housemates used to come around often to play, eventually he learned what days off I had from uni. I learned many tips from him. even bought my own 2-piece cue. I haven’t played in years, of course.

Dad, bro-in-law and I used to occasionally visit a pool hall on a Saturday night for a few games and a few drinks.

Seems such a long time ago now, probably ‘cos it was.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 00:07:31
From: wookiemeister
ID: 1994071
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

maybe for the moment just live in tents

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 00:40:27
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994078
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

1932

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 00:49:41
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994079
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Forty-year-old lawyer Leandro Mathias de Novaes allegedly took a gun with him when accompanying his mother to an appointment at Laboratorio Cura, concealed under his waistband.

“Both the patient and companion were properly instructed regarding the procedures for accessing the examination room and warned about the removal of any and all metallic objects,” Laboratorio Cura said in a statement, according to the Miami Herald.

“The firearm was not mentioned by the companion, who entered the examination room with the object by his decision.”

MRI machines work by creating powerful magnetic fields (as well as radio waves) targeting hydrogen nuclei (protons) in water. As protons are subjected to the magnetic field (about a thousand times stronger than that produced by a fridge magnet) their axes line up.

“This uniform alignment creates a magnetic vector oriented along the axis of the MRI scanner,” science editor Abi Berger explains in the BMJ.

“When additional energy (in the form of a radio wave) is added to the magnetic field, the magnetic vector is deflected. The radio wave frequency that causes the hydrogen nuclei to resonate is dependent on the element sought (hydrogen in this case) and the strength of the magnetic field.”

“When the radiofrequency source is switched off the magnetic vector returns to its resting state, and this causes a signal (also a radio wave) to be emitted. It is this signal which is used to create the MR images.”

While this is great for seeing inside the body – especially cartilage and muscles, which other scanning methods can’t image as effectively – it’s not so great if you happen to be carrying any loose metal or loaded firearms.

According to reports, the gun advocate’s weapon was pulled out of his waistband by the machine, before it discharged into his stomach. de Novaes had a license to carry the weapon, but it is not clear why he didn’t remove it prior to entering the machine. Before his death on February 6, the lawyer regularly posted pro-gun content to his TikTok channel, according to the New York Post.

People have been fatally sucked into MRI machines before, generally when metal oxygen tanks have been brought in with patients.

https://www.iflscience.com/man-dies-after-taking-loaded-concealed-gun-into-an-mri-scan-67496

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 00:55:01
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994080
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Forty-year-old lawyer Leandro Mathias de Novaes allegedly took a gun with him when accompanying his mother to an appointment at Laboratorio Cura, concealed under his waistband.

“Both the patient and companion were properly instructed regarding the procedures for accessing the examination room and warned about the removal of any and all metallic objects,” Laboratorio Cura said in a statement, according to the Miami Herald.

“The firearm was not mentioned by the companion, who entered the examination room with the object by his decision.”

MRI machines work by creating powerful magnetic fields (as well as radio waves) targeting hydrogen nuclei (protons) in water. As protons are subjected to the magnetic field (about a thousand times stronger than that produced by a fridge magnet) their axes line up.

“This uniform alignment creates a magnetic vector oriented along the axis of the MRI scanner,” science editor Abi Berger explains in the BMJ.

“When additional energy (in the form of a radio wave) is added to the magnetic field, the magnetic vector is deflected. The radio wave frequency that causes the hydrogen nuclei to resonate is dependent on the element sought (hydrogen in this case) and the strength of the magnetic field.”

“When the radiofrequency source is switched off the magnetic vector returns to its resting state, and this causes a signal (also a radio wave) to be emitted. It is this signal which is used to create the MR images.”

While this is great for seeing inside the body – especially cartilage and muscles, which other scanning methods can’t image as effectively – it’s not so great if you happen to be carrying any loose metal or loaded firearms.

According to reports, the gun advocate’s weapon was pulled out of his waistband by the machine, before it discharged into his stomach. de Novaes had a license to carry the weapon, but it is not clear why he didn’t remove it prior to entering the machine. Before his death on February 6, the lawyer regularly posted pro-gun content to his TikTok channel, according to the New York Post.

People have been fatally sucked into MRI machines before, generally when metal oxygen tanks have been brought in with patients.

https://www.iflscience.com/man-dies-after-taking-loaded-concealed-gun-into-an-mri-scan-67496

he’s not going to do that again.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 00:58:55
From: party_pants
ID: 1994081
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Forty-year-old lawyer Leandro Mathias de Novaes allegedly took a gun with him when accompanying his mother to an appointment at Laboratorio Cura, concealed under his waistband.

“Both the patient and companion were properly instructed regarding the procedures for accessing the examination room and warned about the removal of any and all metallic objects,” Laboratorio Cura said in a statement, according to the Miami Herald.

“The firearm was not mentioned by the companion, who entered the examination room with the object by his decision.”

MRI machines work by creating powerful magnetic fields (as well as radio waves) targeting hydrogen nuclei (protons) in water. As protons are subjected to the magnetic field (about a thousand times stronger than that produced by a fridge magnet) their axes line up.

“This uniform alignment creates a magnetic vector oriented along the axis of the MRI scanner,” science editor Abi Berger explains in the BMJ.

“When additional energy (in the form of a radio wave) is added to the magnetic field, the magnetic vector is deflected. The radio wave frequency that causes the hydrogen nuclei to resonate is dependent on the element sought (hydrogen in this case) and the strength of the magnetic field.”

“When the radiofrequency source is switched off the magnetic vector returns to its resting state, and this causes a signal (also a radio wave) to be emitted. It is this signal which is used to create the MR images.”

While this is great for seeing inside the body – especially cartilage and muscles, which other scanning methods can’t image as effectively – it’s not so great if you happen to be carrying any loose metal or loaded firearms.

According to reports, the gun advocate’s weapon was pulled out of his waistband by the machine, before it discharged into his stomach. de Novaes had a license to carry the weapon, but it is not clear why he didn’t remove it prior to entering the machine. Before his death on February 6, the lawyer regularly posted pro-gun content to his TikTok channel, according to the New York Post.

People have been fatally sucked into MRI machines before, generally when metal oxygen tanks have been brought in with patients.

https://www.iflscience.com/man-dies-after-taking-loaded-concealed-gun-into-an-mri-scan-67496

Ah well. Darwin wins again… etc

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 01:06:50
From: dv
ID: 1994082
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


dv said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

and since when was Shetland a country?

And why did 500 take off there?

Bower is an Anglicization of the German Bauer, a word meaning farmer, peasant, or pawn. This name is often used to refer to the Jack of German games.

You know, I’ve played some German board games but I honestly couldn’t even name a German card game.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 02:38:58
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1994095
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Best spot.. 😅

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 02:56:49
From: dv
ID: 1994096
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Starfish Prime was a high-altitude nuclear test conducted by the United States, a joint effort of the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) and the Defense Atomic Support Agency. It was launched from Johnston Atoll on July 9, 1962, and was the largest nuclear test conducted in outer space, and one of five conducted by the US in space.

A Thor rocket carrying a W49 thermonuclear warhead (designed at Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory) and a Mk. 2 reentry vehicle was launched from Johnston Atoll in the Pacific Ocean, about 900 miles (1,450 km) west-southwest of Hawaii. The explosion took place at an altitude of 250 miles (400 km), above a point 19 miles (31 km) southwest of Johnston Atoll. It had a yield of 1.4 Mt (5.9 PJ). The explosion was about 10° above the horizon as seen from Hawaii, at 11 pm Hawaii time.: 3 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 07:04:42
From: buffy
ID: 1994110
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 10 degrees at the back door, overcast and calm. We are forecast a mostly sunny 26. Thursday has still got a 37 forecast on it.

Today is Bakery Breakfast day. And archery this evening.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 07:11:36
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994111
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning. Currently 11.8 °C at 78% r/h.

Have to go see my GP today and also arrange that I do have transport to go out of town to have injections on my C section twice(four in each side) in the next two weeks. Each side needs to be done a week apart.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 07:13:27
From: transition
ID: 1994112
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

awake a while be coffeein’
a couple toast
butter proper’n promite on
finishes those
former pig-like I ‘re slurpin’
caffeine boost
few words while’s a poem
rhymely boast
yes am ya see multitaskin’

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 07:17:31
From: ms spock
ID: 1994113
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dia daoich to one and all!

Rachaidh mé agus cuirfidh mé roinnt crann sula n-éireoidh sé ró-the le bheith amuigh!

I will go and plant some trees before it gets too hot to be outside!

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 07:18:45
From: ms spock
ID: 1994114
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Good morning Holidayers. Presently 10 degrees at the back door, overcast and calm. We are forecast a mostly sunny 26. Thursday has still got a 37 forecast on it.

Today is Bakery Breakfast day. And archery this evening.

I see that Captain Spalding did extensive research and found the origins of archery!

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 07:19:50
From: ms spock
ID: 1994115
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Best spot.. 😅

:)

Cad a kitten cliste!

What a smart kitten!

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 07:22:31
From: transition
ID: 1994117
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


buffy said:

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 10 degrees at the back door, overcast and calm. We are forecast a mostly sunny 26. Thursday has still got a 37 forecast on it.

Today is Bakery Breakfast day. And archery this evening.

I see that Captain Spalding did extensive research and found the origins of archery!


chuckle

that funny

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 07:26:10
From: ms spock
ID: 1994121
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


ms spock said:

buffy said:

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 10 degrees at the back door, overcast and calm. We are forecast a mostly sunny 26. Thursday has still got a 37 forecast on it.

Today is Bakery Breakfast day. And archery this evening.

I see that Captain Spalding did extensive research and found the origins of archery!


chuckle

that funny

Captain Spalding may have won the a prize on the Internets yesterday! :)

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 08:13:37
From: Michael V
ID: 1994125
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Starfish Prime was a high-altitude nuclear test conducted by the United States, a joint effort of the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) and the Defense Atomic Support Agency. It was launched from Johnston Atoll on July 9, 1962, and was the largest nuclear test conducted in outer space, and one of five conducted by the US in space.

A Thor rocket carrying a W49 thermonuclear warhead (designed at Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory) and a Mk. 2 reentry vehicle was launched from Johnston Atoll in the Pacific Ocean, about 900 miles (1,450 km) west-southwest of Hawaii. The explosion took place at an altitude of 250 miles (400 km), above a point 19 miles (31 km) southwest of Johnston Atoll. It had a yield of 1.4 Mt (5.9 PJ). The explosion was about 10° above the horizon as seen from Hawaii, at 11 pm Hawaii time.: 3 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime

Gosh.

This one was part of a series of high altitude tests. Several test rockets failed, including one on the island where they were launched from , causing plutonium contamination problems. I had no idea that “atmospheric tests” were anything other than on a tower above the ground. I’m glad they stopped this nonsense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Fishbowl

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 08:17:38
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994126
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 08:20:06
From: Michael V
ID: 1994129
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Morning. Currently 11.8 °C at 78% r/h.

Have to go see my GP today and also arrange that I do have transport to go out of town to have injections on my C section twice(four in each side) in the next two weeks. Each side needs to be done a week apart.

What’s a C section?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 08:24:32
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994132
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


dv said:

Starfish Prime was a high-altitude nuclear test conducted by the United States, a joint effort of the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) and the Defense Atomic Support Agency. It was launched from Johnston Atoll on July 9, 1962, and was the largest nuclear test conducted in outer space, and one of five conducted by the US in space.

A Thor rocket carrying a W49 thermonuclear warhead (designed at Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory) and a Mk. 2 reentry vehicle was launched from Johnston Atoll in the Pacific Ocean, about 900 miles (1,450 km) west-southwest of Hawaii. The explosion took place at an altitude of 250 miles (400 km), above a point 19 miles (31 km) southwest of Johnston Atoll. It had a yield of 1.4 Mt (5.9 PJ). The explosion was about 10° above the horizon as seen from Hawaii, at 11 pm Hawaii time.: 3 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime

Gosh.

This one was part of a series of high altitude tests. Several test rockets failed, including one on the island where they were launched from , causing plutonium contamination problems. I had no idea that “atmospheric tests” were anything other than on a tower above the ground. I’m glad they stopped this nonsense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Fishbowl

The problem is that they did it at all.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 08:25:59
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994134
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


roughbarked said:

Morning. Currently 11.8 °C at 78% r/h.

Have to go see my GP today and also arrange that I do have transport to go out of town to have injections on my C section twice(four in each side) in the next two weeks. Each side needs to be done a week apart.

What’s a C section?

The neck.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 08:28:24
From: Michael V
ID: 1994135
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning everybody.

Overcast, thundery and just stopped raining. 22.6°C, 92% RH and nearly calm. BoM has forecast a top of 31°C and a good chance of rain all day.

We will have to find a different place to walk after this rain. Th path we are using is littered with leaves, and becomes very slippery when wet.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 08:30:23
From: Michael V
ID: 1994137
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

Morning. Currently 11.8 °C at 78% r/h.

Have to go see my GP today and also arrange that I do have transport to go out of town to have injections on my C section twice(four in each side) in the next two weeks. Each side needs to be done a week apart.

What’s a C section?

The neck.

Thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 08:41:44
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994140
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Mostly sunny, 25, 0% chance of rain.

So I’ll wash a load of bedding this morning and hang it out.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 08:49:03
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994141
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Morning. Currently 11.8 °C at 78% r/h.

Have to go see my GP today and also arrange that I do have transport to go out of town to have injections on my C section twice(four in each side) in the next two weeks. Each side needs to be done a week apart.

What are those shots for?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 08:49:33
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994143
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Secret Lives of Neutron Stars

Astrophysicists are using gravitational waves and light to trace the genealogies of dead stars and reveal the history of the universe.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:06:25
From: ms spock
ID: 1994146
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Michael V said:

dv said:

Starfish Prime was a high-altitude nuclear test conducted by the United States, a joint effort of the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) and the Defense Atomic Support Agency. It was launched from Johnston Atoll on July 9, 1962, and was the largest nuclear test conducted in outer space, and one of five conducted by the US in space.

A Thor rocket carrying a W49 thermonuclear warhead (designed at Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory) and a Mk. 2 reentry vehicle was launched from Johnston Atoll in the Pacific Ocean, about 900 miles (1,450 km) west-southwest of Hawaii. The explosion took place at an altitude of 250 miles (400 km), above a point 19 miles (31 km) southwest of Johnston Atoll. It had a yield of 1.4 Mt (5.9 PJ). The explosion was about 10° above the horizon as seen from Hawaii, at 11 pm Hawaii time.: 3 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime

Gosh.

This one was part of a series of high altitude tests. Several test rockets failed, including one on the island where they were launched from , causing plutonium contamination problems. I had no idea that “atmospheric tests” were anything other than on a tower above the ground. I’m glad they stopped this nonsense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Fishbowl

The problem is that they did it at all.

Can you say abit more about that? What are the impacts that you are referring too!

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:08:08
From: ms spock
ID: 1994148
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Good morning everybody.

Overcast, thundery and just stopped raining. 22.6°C, 92% RH and nearly calm. BoM has forecast a top of 31°C and a good chance of rain all day.

We will have to find a different place to walk after this rain. Th path we are using is littered with leaves, and becomes very slippery when wet.

I hope that The Patient does not walk to fast or far, but walks just right the distance at just the right pace.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:12:06
From: Michael V
ID: 1994150
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Michael V said:

Good morning everybody.

Overcast, thundery and just stopped raining. 22.6°C, 92% RH and nearly calm. BoM has forecast a top of 31°C and a good chance of rain all day.

We will have to find a different place to walk after this rain. Th path we are using is littered with leaves, and becomes very slippery when wet.

I hope that The Patient does not walk to fast or far, but walks just right the distance at just the right pace.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:16:41
From: ms spock
ID: 1994151
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://coinworks.com.au/Kookaburra-Square-Penny

I had no idea that Australia has square coins but yesterday found out we have both Kookaburra and platypus square coins!

I got to hold Abbie the platypus at Taronga Zoo whilst the tank was being cleaned. An arduous task but I acquited myself with honour I believe!

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:18:32
From: Woodie
ID: 1994153
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Michael V said:

Good morning everybody.

Overcast, thundery and just stopped raining. 22.6°C, 92% RH and nearly calm. BoM has forecast a top of 31°C and a good chance of rain all day.

We will have to find a different place to walk after this rain. Th path we are using is littered with leaves, and becomes very slippery when wet.

I hope that The Patient does not walk to fast or far, but walks just right the distance at just the right pace.

Mr V, You’ll have to get Mrs V really really really annoyed, so much so that she paces up and down the hallway all day. 😁

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:19:59
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994154
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

https://coinworks.com.au/Kookaburra-Square-Penny

I had no idea that Australia has square coins but yesterday found out we have both Kookaburra and platypus square coins!

I got to hold Abbie the platypus at Taronga Zoo whilst the tank was being cleaned. An arduous task but I acquited myself with honour I believe!

If you had let go of her we could all sing:

Abbie the platypus left her tank,
and said goodbye to Ta-rong-a.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:27:39
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994155
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


roughbarked said:

Morning. Currently 11.8 °C at 78% r/h.

Have to go see my GP today and also arrange that I do have transport to go out of town to have injections on my C section twice(four in each side) in the next two weeks. Each side needs to be done a week apart.

What are those shots for?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:32:07
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994158
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

Morning. Currently 11.8 °C at 78% r/h.

Have to go see my GP today and also arrange that I do have transport to go out of town to have injections on my C section twice(four in each side) in the next two weeks. Each side needs to be done a week apart.

What are those shots for?


I see. So what will the injections achieve?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:33:20
From: ms spock
ID: 1994160
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


ms spock said:

Michael V said:

Good morning everybody.

Overcast, thundery and just stopped raining. 22.6°C, 92% RH and nearly calm. BoM has forecast a top of 31°C and a good chance of rain all day.

We will have to find a different place to walk after this rain. Th path we are using is littered with leaves, and becomes very slippery when wet.

I hope that The Patient does not walk to fast or far, but walks just right the distance at just the right pace.

Mr V, You’ll have to get Mrs V really really really annoyed, so much so that she paces up and down the hallway all day. 😁

***giggles***

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:35:41
From: ms spock
ID: 1994161
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


ms spock said:

https://coinworks.com.au/Kookaburra-Square-Penny

I had no idea that Australia has square coins but yesterday found out we have both Kookaburra and platypus square coins!

I got to hold Abbie the platypus at Taronga Zoo whilst the tank was being cleaned. An arduous task but I acquited myself with honour I believe!

If you had let go of her we could all sing:

Abbie the platypus left her tank,
and said goodbye to Ta-rong-a.

:)

They did lose the platypi at Taronga and when the drained a pond somewhere on the premises. I vaguely remember it being one of the first times they procreated in captivity but I may be wrong about that!

The plural of platypus has been long-established in the English speaking world as platypuses. The plural form platypi is accepted by Latinists, scientists and fans of quirky words.

(I am a fan of quirky words occasionally!)

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:37:39
From: ms spock
ID: 1994162
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

Morning. Currently 11.8 °C at 78% r/h.

Have to go see my GP today and also arrange that I do have transport to go out of town to have injections on my C section twice(four in each side) in the next two weeks. Each side needs to be done a week apart.

What are those shots for?


Níl aon smaoineamh agam cad a chiallaíonn sé sin go léir ach tá mé ag samhlú má tá tú ag fáil ceithre shots i ngach taobh sin
tá go leor pian ort?

I have no idea what all that means but I am imagining if you are getting four shots in each side that
you have a lot of pain?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:39:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994163
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

What are those shots for?


I see. So what will the injections achieve?

Reduce the swelling of the nerves.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:40:00
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994164
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

What are those shots for?


Níl aon smaoineamh agam cad a chiallaíonn sé sin go léir ach tá mé ag samhlú má tá tú ag fáil ceithre shots i ngach taobh sin
tá go leor pian ort?

I have no idea what all that means but I am imagining if you are getting four shots in each side that
you have a lot of pain?

You are getting the drift.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:40:02
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994165
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

The death toll from the catastrophic earthquake that hit Turkey and Syria has climbed over 35,000 as UN aid officials push for more aid access to rebel-controlled north-western Syria, where only one crossing from Turkey is open.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/13/turkey-and-syria-earthquake-death-toll-passes-35000

Yeah.

:(

Death toll will be at least double that.

:(

I heard on the radio news today they have started arresting hundreds of builders and architects over poorly constructed apartment buildings.

Shutting the gate after the horse … etc.

I seem to remember the Rev talking about working in Turkey…

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:40:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994166
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

What do we know about the four flying objects shot down by the US?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/13/what-do-we-know-about-the-four-flying-objects-shot-down-by-the-us

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:40:48
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994167
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:


I see. So what will the injections achieve?

Reduce the swelling of the nerves.

Goodo, I hope it works.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:41:34
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994168
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Following yesterday’s discussion of songs that begin with “and”:

Just read on Quora (I know, I know):

“Why do English people sing “Jerusalem” so enthusiastically and want it as an English national anthem?

Try listening to it, the answer is there.

To save you the trouble, here are the lyrics. If you cannot deduce the reason from them then I cannot be arsed in explaining.

Ironically though, it is actually a socialist anthem, railing against the land owning elite who enclosed the land to keep the common people out and those who want it as our national anthem are typically those who it denigrates but they are too chinless to realise.”

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:46:56
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994169
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Following yesterday’s discussion of songs that begin with “and”:

Just read on Quora (I know, I know):

“Why do English people sing “Jerusalem” so enthusiastically and want it as an English national anthem?

Try listening to it, the answer is there.

To save you the trouble, here are the lyrics. If you cannot deduce the reason from them then I cannot be arsed in explaining.

Ironically though, it is actually a socialist anthem, railing against the land owning elite who enclosed the land to keep the common people out and those who want it as our national anthem are typically those who it denigrates but they are too chinless to realise.”

Actually it’s a load of superstitious crap penned by fundamentalist nutter William Blake.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:47:29
From: ms spock
ID: 1994170
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

roughbarked said:


Níl aon smaoineamh agam cad a chiallaíonn sé sin go léir ach tá mé ag samhlú má tá tú ag fáil ceithre shots i ngach taobh sin
tá go leor pian ort?

I have no idea what all that means but I am imagining if you are getting four shots in each side that
you have a lot of pain?

You are getting the drift.

Níl aon smaoineamh agam cad a chiallaíonn sé sin go léir ach tá mé ag samhlú má tá tú ag fáil ceithre shots i ngach taobh sin
tá go leor pian ort?

Chronic pain is quite the life journey! You are a brave soul! And you do so much!

Is aistear saoil é pian ainsealach! Is anam cróga thú! Agus a dhéanann tú an oiread sin!

I was wondering why jj expressed surprise at you still being alive! I am getting the drift!

Bhí mé ag smaoineamh cén fáth ar chuir jj iontas ort a bheith fós beo! Tá mé ag fáil an drift!

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:48:17
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994171
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


party_pants said:

Michael V said:

Yeah.

:(

Death toll will be at least double that.

:(

I heard on the radio news today they have started arresting hundreds of builders and architects over poorly constructed apartment buildings.

Shutting the gate after the horse … etc.

I seem to remember the Rev talking about working in Turkey…

Yes, worked in Ankara from 1988-1991.

The (US funded) highway project I worked on was designed and built to the best international earthquake design standards of the day.

Then on the way to and from work I observed many low to mid rise apartment blocks going up with reinforcement detailing that was no-where near the standards required for low seismic risk areas, let alone places close to an active fault.

I often wondered how they would perform in an earthquake, and now I know.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:49:18
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994172
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Following yesterday’s discussion of songs that begin with “and”:

Just read on Quora (I know, I know):

“Why do English people sing “Jerusalem” so enthusiastically and want it as an English national anthem?

Try listening to it, the answer is there.

To save you the trouble, here are the lyrics. If you cannot deduce the reason from them then I cannot be arsed in explaining.

Ironically though, it is actually a socialist anthem, railing against the land owning elite who enclosed the land to keep the common people out and those who want it as our national anthem are typically those who it denigrates but they are too chinless to realise.”

The poem he wrote which has become the famous ‘hymn’ is based on a mediaeval legend invented to fleece pilgrims out of cash in Glastonbury: the monks, to ‘prove’ how ancient their establishment was claimed that Jesus himself, as a child, came to Somerset and founded the abbey. The story takes the Lord’s name in vain in a most scandalous manner but it drew gullible pilgrims in droves. Blake took that blasphemous legend and made it into a poem, and that is what gets sung at the Proms.

Link.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:50:59
From: Michael V
ID: 1994174
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


ms spock said:

Michael V said:

Good morning everybody.

Overcast, thundery and just stopped raining. 22.6°C, 92% RH and nearly calm. BoM has forecast a top of 31°C and a good chance of rain all day.

We will have to find a different place to walk after this rain. Th path we are using is littered with leaves, and becomes very slippery when wet.

I hope that The Patient does not walk to fast or far, but walks just right the distance at just the right pace.

Mr V, You’ll have to get Mrs V really really really annoyed, so much so that she paces up and down the hallway all day. 😁

G’donya.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:52:43
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994176
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

Following yesterday’s discussion of songs that begin with “and”:

Just read on Quora (I know, I know):

“Why do English people sing “Jerusalem” so enthusiastically and want it as an English national anthem?

Try listening to it, the answer is there.

To save you the trouble, here are the lyrics. If you cannot deduce the reason from them then I cannot be arsed in explaining.

Ironically though, it is actually a socialist anthem, railing against the land owning elite who enclosed the land to keep the common people out and those who want it as our national anthem are typically those who it denigrates but they are too chinless to realise.”

The poem he wrote which has become the famous ‘hymn’ is based on a mediaeval legend invented to fleece pilgrims out of cash in Glastonbury: the monks, to ‘prove’ how ancient their establishment was claimed that Jesus himself, as a child, came to Somerset and founded the abbey. The story takes the Lord’s name in vain in a most scandalous manner but it drew gullible pilgrims in droves. Blake took that blasphemous legend and made it into a poem, and that is what gets sung at the Proms.

Link.

I read somewhere yesterday (TATE probably) that some say it refers to Joseph rather than Jesus, but not sure how that works when it mentions “the holy lamb of God”.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:52:48
From: ms spock
ID: 1994177
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


What do we know about the four flying objects shot down by the US?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/13/what-do-we-know-about-the-four-flying-objects-shot-down-by-the-us

Could it be aliens?

It would be so cool if they were ethical and kind aliens!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/13/mystery-balloons-what-are-they-aliens-probing-our-atmosphere-or-a-race-of-ancient-skywhales?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:54:10
From: Michael V
ID: 1994178
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


party_pants said:

Michael V said:

Yeah.

:(

Death toll will be at least double that.

:(

I heard on the radio news today they have started arresting hundreds of builders and architects over poorly constructed apartment buildings.

Shutting the gate after the horse … etc.

I seem to remember the Rev talking about working in Turkey…

Uh-oh.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:54:19
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994179
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Bubblecar said:

What do we know about the four flying objects shot down by the US?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/13/what-do-we-know-about-the-four-flying-objects-shot-down-by-the-us

Could it be aliens?

It would be so cool if they were ethical and kind aliens!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/13/mystery-balloons-what-are-they-aliens-probing-our-atmosphere-or-a-race-of-ancient-skywhales?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

You approve of shooting down ethical and kind aliens?

I’m shocked! ;)

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:54:20
From: ms spock
ID: 1994180
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


ChrispenEvan said:

party_pants said:

I heard on the radio news today they have started arresting hundreds of builders and architects over poorly constructed apartment buildings.

Shutting the gate after the horse … etc.

I seem to remember the Rev talking about working in Turkey…

Yes, worked in Ankara from 1988-1991.

The (US funded) highway project I worked on was designed and built to the best international earthquake design standards of the day.

Then on the way to and from work I observed many low to mid rise apartment blocks going up with reinforcement detailing that was no-where near the standards required for low seismic risk areas, let alone places close to an active fault.

I often wondered how they would perform in an earthquake, and now I know.

Gosh that must be heartbreaking for you to watch.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:54:52
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994181
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


ChrispenEvan said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Following yesterday’s discussion of songs that begin with “and”:

Just read on Quora (I know, I know):

“Why do English people sing “Jerusalem” so enthusiastically and want it as an English national anthem?

Try listening to it, the answer is there.

To save you the trouble, here are the lyrics. If you cannot deduce the reason from them then I cannot be arsed in explaining.

Ironically though, it is actually a socialist anthem, railing against the land owning elite who enclosed the land to keep the common people out and those who want it as our national anthem are typically those who it denigrates but they are too chinless to realise.”

The poem he wrote which has become the famous ‘hymn’ is based on a mediaeval legend invented to fleece pilgrims out of cash in Glastonbury: the monks, to ‘prove’ how ancient their establishment was claimed that Jesus himself, as a child, came to Somerset and founded the abbey. The story takes the Lord’s name in vain in a most scandalous manner but it drew gullible pilgrims in droves. Blake took that blasphemous legend and made it into a poem, and that is what gets sung at the Proms.

Link.

I read somewhere yesterday (TATE probably) that some say it refers to Joseph rather than Jesus, but not sure how that works when it mentions “the holy lamb of God”.

Mmmmmm lamb….mmmmm mint sauce.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:55:47
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994182
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Bubblecar said:

What do we know about the four flying objects shot down by the US?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/13/what-do-we-know-about-the-four-flying-objects-shot-down-by-the-us

Could it be aliens?

It would be so cool if they were ethical and kind aliens!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/13/mystery-balloons-what-are-they-aliens-probing-our-atmosphere-or-a-race-of-ancient-skywhales?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

where’s the fun in that interrobang.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:57:16
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994184
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


ChrispenEvan said:

party_pants said:

I heard on the radio news today they have started arresting hundreds of builders and architects over poorly constructed apartment buildings.

Shutting the gate after the horse … etc.

I seem to remember the Rev talking about working in Turkey…

Yes, worked in Ankara from 1988-1991.

The (US funded) highway project I worked on was designed and built to the best international earthquake design standards of the day.

Then on the way to and from work I observed many low to mid rise apartment blocks going up with reinforcement detailing that was no-where near the standards required for low seismic risk areas, let alone places close to an active fault.

I often wondered how they would perform in an earthquake, and now I know.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:57:24
From: Woodie
ID: 1994185
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

Morning. Currently 11.8 °C at 78% r/h.

Have to go see my GP today and also arrange that I do have transport to go out of town to have injections on my C section twice(four in each side) in the next two weeks. Each side needs to be done a week apart.

What are those shots for?


Dowager’s hump?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:57:29
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994186
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Blake is often regarded these days as some kind of warm humanist but he would have shuddered at that description.

He was a Biblical fundamentalist who considered himself a prophet in the supernatural sense and claimed to see actual angels.

Also a sworn enemy of science and of the more humanistic poets like Wordsworth.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 09:59:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994187
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

What are those shots for?


Dowager’s hump?

Heading that way if I’m not careful.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 10:00:19
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994188
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Blake is often regarded these days as some kind of warm humanist but he would have shuddered at that description.

He was a Biblical fundamentalist who considered himself a prophet in the supernatural sense and claimed to see actual angels.

Also a sworn enemy of science and of the more humanistic poets like Wordsworth.

and what’s worse, he started poems with the word “and”.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 10:02:43
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994190
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Bubblecar said:

Blake is often regarded these days as some kind of warm humanist but he would have shuddered at that description.

He was a Biblical fundamentalist who considered himself a prophet in the supernatural sense and claimed to see actual angels.

Also a sworn enemy of science and of the more humanistic poets like Wordsworth.

and what’s worse, he started poems with the word “and”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Blake#Religious_views

Link

Interesting views.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 10:04:16
From: Michael V
ID: 1994192
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


ms spock said:

Bubblecar said:

What do we know about the four flying objects shot down by the US?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/13/what-do-we-know-about-the-four-flying-objects-shot-down-by-the-us

Could it be aliens?

It would be so cool if they were ethical and kind aliens!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/13/mystery-balloons-what-are-they-aliens-probing-our-atmosphere-or-a-race-of-ancient-skywhales?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

where’s the fun in that interrobang.

‽‽‽

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 10:12:14
From: ms spock
ID: 1994195
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


ms spock said:

Bubblecar said:

What do we know about the four flying objects shot down by the US?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/13/what-do-we-know-about-the-four-flying-objects-shot-down-by-the-us

Could it be aliens?

It would be so cool if they were ethical and kind aliens!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/13/mystery-balloons-what-are-they-aliens-probing-our-atmosphere-or-a-race-of-ancient-skywhales?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

You approve of shooting down ethical and kind aliens?

I’m shocked! ;)

LOL

I didn’t express that well at all. I am getting a little bit of a Gaelic brain. I am forgetting to translate back parts of English that doesn’t exist in Gaelic. So I am understanding some things.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 10:19:53
From: ms spock
ID: 1994196
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Blake is often regarded these days as some kind of warm humanist but he would have shuddered at that description.

He was a Biblical fundamentalist who considered himself a prophet in the supernatural sense and claimed to see actual angels.

Also a sworn enemy of science and of the more humanistic poets like Wordsworth.

I had no idea of this Mr Car.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 10:20:11
From: ms spock
ID: 1994197
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Bubblecar said:

Blake is often regarded these days as some kind of warm humanist but he would have shuddered at that description.

He was a Biblical fundamentalist who considered himself a prophet in the supernatural sense and claimed to see actual angels.

Also a sworn enemy of science and of the more humanistic poets like Wordsworth.

and what’s worse, he started poems with the word “and”.

A hearty gaeilge chuckle from me. (You do it lower down in the throat)

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 10:47:28
From: transition
ID: 1994211
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

needs nice cup of tea, I does do

watches the news, not much cheer there

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 10:50:09
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994214
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


needs nice cup of tea, I does do

watches the news, not much cheer there

I’ve just had a nice cup of tea and am contemplating having another.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 10:59:14
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994216
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Seven-Year Photobomb: Astronomers Discover Source of Distant Star’s Unusual Dimming

By their own admission, Anastasios “Andy” Tzanidakis and James Davenport are interested in unusual stars. The University of Washington astronomers were searching for “stars behaving weirdly” when they were alerted by the Gaia survey about Gaia17bpp. The survey data showed that this star had gradually increased in brightness over a 2-and-a-half-year span.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 11:02:07
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994218
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


The Seven-Year Photobomb: Astronomers Discover Source of Distant Star’s Unusual Dimming

By their own admission, Anastasios “Andy” Tzanidakis and James Davenport are interested in unusual stars. The University of Washington astronomers were searching for “stars behaving weirdly” when they were alerted by the Gaia survey about Gaia17bpp. The survey data showed that this star had gradually increased in brightness over a 2-and-a-half-year span.

more…

They sound like typical Sagittarians.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 11:02:36
From: Cymek
ID: 1994219
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Greetings

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 11:04:53
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994221
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

The Seven-Year Photobomb: Astronomers Discover Source of Distant Star’s Unusual Dimming

By their own admission, Anastasios “Andy” Tzanidakis and James Davenport are interested in unusual stars. The University of Washington astronomers were searching for “stars behaving weirdly” when they were alerted by the Gaia survey about Gaia17bpp. The survey data showed that this star had gradually increased in brightness over a 2-and-a-half-year span.

more…

They sound like typical Sagittarians.

They should fly over and have a closer look then:

“The Typical Sagittarius Is Freedom-Loving, Independent, and Suited to Non-Traditional Employment and Travel”

(Source: The Internet)

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 11:04:58
From: transition
ID: 1994222
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


transition said:

needs nice cup of tea, I does do

watches the news, not much cheer there

I’ve just had a nice cup of tea and am contemplating having another.

landed

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 11:06:02
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994223
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Greetings

A voice from the past, a voice that is hours behind us, a voice crying in the wilderness.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 11:09:49
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994225
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Peak Warming Man said:

transition said:

needs nice cup of tea, I does do

watches the news, not much cheer there

I’ve just had a nice cup of tea and am contemplating having another.

landed

I just have a plain unadorned cup that has tannin stains from when it runnith over.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 11:26:34
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994233
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

ms spock said:

Could it be aliens?

It would be so cool if they were ethical and kind aliens!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/13/mystery-balloons-what-are-they-aliens-probing-our-atmosphere-or-a-race-of-ancient-skywhales?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

You approve of shooting down ethical and kind aliens?

I’m shocked! ;)

LOL

I didn’t express that well at all. I am getting a little bit of a Gaelic brain. I am forgetting to translate back parts of English that doesn’t exist in Gaelic. So I am understanding some things.

Be wary of the ‘translation trap’.

It happens to almost everyone learning a second language. You ask ‘how would i say it in (e.g.) English’, and then you go about translating that, word by word, in your head into (e.g.) Gaelic.

And then you do the reverse with any response, translating it bit-by-bit from (e.g. ) Gaelic back into (e.g.) English.

This slows you down terribly, and it’s a hurdle that has to be, and usually is, overcome.

The cliché is that you have to learn to think in your second language, without reference to your first language, and form, express, and understand things spontaneously in the second language.

That’s very difficult to do at the start, but increasing vocabulary, increased exposure to the second language, and above all, practice and more practice, causes it to gradually become areality.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 11:34:06
From: transition
ID: 1994238
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


transition said:

Peak Warming Man said:

I’ve just had a nice cup of tea and am contemplating having another.

landed

I just have a plain unadorned cup that has tannin stains from when it runnith over.

piggy slurper

if remembers right me grandpa use to pour his hot tea into his teacup saucer, cool’t, drinks’t from that

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 11:59:53
From: ms spock
ID: 1994256
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Peak Warming Man said:

transition said:

landed

I just have a plain unadorned cup that has tannin stains from when it runnith over.

piggy slurper

if remembers right me grandpa use to pour his hot tea into his teacup saucer, cool’t, drinks’t from that

Never heard the term piggy slurper before!

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 12:05:59
From: ms spock
ID: 1994264
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Greetings

Dia Duit Cymek!

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 12:07:42
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994267
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News:

‘Investigators probe flight after United Airlines plane dips to within 250m of ocean
Investigators are seeking more information about an incident in which a United Airlines plane dropped to within 250 meters of the ocean surface after taking off from Hawaii.’

I would NOT like to have been involved in cleaning that plane after it landed.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 12:11:48
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994268
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:

ABC News:

‘Investigators probe flight after United Airlines plane dips to within 250m of ocean
Investigators are seeking more information about an incident in which a United Airlines plane dropped to within 250 meters of the ocean surface after taking off from Hawaii.’

I would NOT like to have been involved in cleaning that plane after it landed.

any balloons nearby

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 12:12:40
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994269
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

captain_spalding said:

ABC News:

‘Investigators probe flight after United Airlines plane dips to within 250m of ocean
Investigators are seeking more information about an incident in which a United Airlines plane dropped to within 250 meters of the ocean surface after taking off from Hawaii.’

I would NOT like to have been involved in cleaning that plane after it landed.

any balloons nearby

Smiles.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 12:23:20
From: ms spock
ID: 1994275
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ABC News:

‘Investigators probe flight after United Airlines plane dips to within 250m of ocean
Investigators are seeking more information about an incident in which a United Airlines plane dropped to within 250 meters of the ocean surface after taking off from Hawaii.’

I would NOT like to have been involved in cleaning that plane after it landed.

Why is that?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 12:26:13
From: buffy
ID: 1994278
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Lunch report: I’ve got a plate of bits of ham, Mersey Valley cheese, pickled onion, gherkin and a cold boiled egg (soft in the middle). And a slice of buttered white bread. Large glass of cold Milo.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 12:27:32
From: ms spock
ID: 1994280
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Lunch report: I’ve got a plate of bits of ham, Mersey Valley cheese, pickled onion, gherkin and a cold boiled egg (soft in the middle). And a slice of buttered white bread. Large glass of cold Milo.

I see the equipment dance continues buffy.

When they start reproducing themselves then it is for the time for concern.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 12:31:58
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994281
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


captain_spalding said:

ABC News:

‘Investigators probe flight after United Airlines plane dips to within 250m of ocean
Investigators are seeking more information about an incident in which a United Airlines plane dropped to within 250 meters of the ocean surface after taking off from Hawaii.’

I would NOT like to have been involved in cleaning that plane after it landed.

Why is that?

A lot of stained seats.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 12:32:40
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994282
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Lunch report: I’ve got a plate of bits of ham, Mersey Valley cheese, pickled onion, gherkin and a cold boiled egg (soft in the middle). And a slice of buttered white bread. Large glass of cold Milo.

Nothing this end.

Might make a cup of tea.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 12:34:43
From: ms spock
ID: 1994285
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ms spock said:

captain_spalding said:

ABC News:

‘Investigators probe flight after United Airlines plane dips to within 250m of ocean
Investigators are seeking more information about an incident in which a United Airlines plane dropped to within 250 meters of the ocean surface after taking off from Hawaii.’

I would NOT like to have been involved in cleaning that plane after it landed.

Why is that?

A lot of stained seats.

OH! Okay

:))))

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 12:37:32
From: ms spock
ID: 1994288
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


buffy said:

Lunch report: I’ve got a plate of bits of ham, Mersey Valley cheese, pickled onion, gherkin and a cold boiled egg (soft in the middle). And a slice of buttered white bread. Large glass of cold Milo.

Nothing this end.

Might make a cup of tea.

I will join you Mr Car. I will have a cuppa of Australian Tea

This tastes like the tea of my childhood.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 12:40:37
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994289
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


buffy said:

Lunch report: I’ve got a plate of bits of ham, Mersey Valley cheese, pickled onion, gherkin and a cold boiled egg (soft in the middle). And a slice of buttered white bread. Large glass of cold Milo.

Nothing this end.

Might make a cup of tea.

When Yore a country girl working in the fields you get a good healthy appetite.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 12:47:02
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1994292
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2023/02/14/meteroid-lights-up-sky-europe/amp/

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 13:39:00
From: dv
ID: 1994304
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


People used to make potassium nitrate (for gunpowder) out of urine and chicken shit.

Turns out that anfo is pretty easy and cheap to make, but as a tertiary explosive you need a booster that’s not at all easy to make.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 13:40:29
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994306
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A new ring system discovered in our Solar System

A ring system recently discovered by astronomers calls into question the current theories of how ring systems are formed, as it orbits much further out than is typical for other ring systems. The planetary ring was observed on the edge of the Solar System, around the dwarf planet Quaoar, which is approximately half the size of Pluto and orbits the Sun beyond Neptune.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 13:43:22
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994307
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


dv said:

People used to make potassium nitrate (for gunpowder) out of urine and chicken shit.

Turns out that anfo is pretty easy and cheap to make, but as a tertiary explosive you need a booster that’s not at all easy to make.

Just a word in yore shell like, use someone else’s internet account to do ‘how to make explosives’ searches.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 13:45:08
From: dv
ID: 1994308
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


dv said:

dv said:

People used to make potassium nitrate (for gunpowder) out of urine and chicken shit.

Turns out that anfo is pretty easy and cheap to make, but as a tertiary explosive you need a booster that’s not at all easy to make.

Just a word in yore shell like, use someone else’s internet account to do ‘how to make explosives’ searches.

Yeah it’s okay, I’m using dv’s account

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 13:45:33
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994309
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

discount

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 13:46:14
From: Arts
ID: 1994310
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Peak Warming Man said:

dv said:

Turns out that anfo is pretty easy and cheap to make, but as a tertiary explosive you need a booster that’s not at all easy to make.

Just a word in yore shell like, use someone else’s internet account to do ‘how to make explosives’ searches.

Yeah it’s okay, I’m using dv’s account

just use a VPN..

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 13:48:59
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994312
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:

dv said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Just a word in yore shell like, use someone else’s internet account to do ‘how to make explosives’ searches.

Yeah it’s okay, I’m using dv’s account

just use a VPN..

is that completely untraceable just like bitcoin

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 13:50:31
From: Cymek
ID: 1994315
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


dv said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Just a word in yore shell like, use someone else’s internet account to do ‘how to make explosives’ searches.

Yeah it’s okay, I’m using dv’s account

just use a VPN..

Or get extremist pro and con for a belief and force them to hug, huge boom

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 13:50:31
From: Cymek
ID: 1994316
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


dv said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Just a word in yore shell like, use someone else’s internet account to do ‘how to make explosives’ searches.

Yeah it’s okay, I’m using dv’s account

just use a VPN..

Or get extremist pro and con for a belief and force them to hug, huge boom

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 13:50:57
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994317
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Peak Warming Man said:

dv said:

Turns out that anfo is pretty easy and cheap to make, but as a tertiary explosive you need a booster that’s not at all easy to make.

Just a word in yore shell like, use someone else’s internet account to do ‘how to make explosives’ searches.

Yeah it’s okay, I’m using dv’s account

Cunning, cunning as a fox.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 13:51:36
From: Arts
ID: 1994318
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

Arts said:

dv said:

Yeah it’s okay, I’m using dv’s account

just use a VPN..

is that completely untraceable just like bitcoin

it’s traceable.. but just not back to you… allegedly

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 13:56:04
From: Michael V
ID: 1994321
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ABC News:

‘Investigators probe flight after United Airlines plane dips to within 250m of ocean
Investigators are seeking more information about an incident in which a United Airlines plane dropped to within 250 meters of the ocean surface after taking off from Hawaii.’

I would NOT like to have been involved in cleaning that plane after it landed.

I reckon.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 14:05:35
From: buffy
ID: 1994326
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

And finally I caught up again. Admittedly there was a hiatus while I did paperwork so the lawyers could sort out Dad’s account (that my brother was supposed to have moved over to Mum’s account about 3 years ago) for which I had to fill in documentation for the Commonwealth bank and also proof of being me stuff including going to the Post Office for a colour copy of my passport certified by a person on the list of people who can certify. We’ve all got to do it. And Comm Bank don’t accept online signatures (or whatever they are called) so my sister in America is going to have to post her stuff back too. This will slow things up a little bit. But not too much, I would think. They can’t finalize Mum’s will until Dad’s money has been moved.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 14:07:09
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1994328
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The rare sighting of a giant phantom jellyfish in chilly Antarctic waters came about because of tourists using private submersibles.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 14:08:10
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994329
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


And finally I caught up again. Admittedly there was a hiatus while I did paperwork so the lawyers could sort out Dad’s account (that my brother was supposed to have moved over to Mum’s account about 3 years ago) for which I had to fill in documentation for the Commonwealth bank and also proof of being me stuff including going to the Post Office for a colour copy of my passport certified by a person on the list of people who can certify. We’ve all got to do it. And Comm Bank don’t accept online signatures (or whatever they are called) so my sister in America is going to have to post her stuff back too. This will slow things up a little bit. But not too much, I would think. They can’t finalize Mum’s will until Dad’s money has been moved.

shakes fist at brothers

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 14:10:53
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994330
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


And finally I caught up again. Admittedly there was a hiatus while I did paperwork so the lawyers could sort out Dad’s account (that my brother was supposed to have moved over to Mum’s account about 3 years ago) for which I had to fill in documentation for the Commonwealth bank and also proof of being me stuff including going to the Post Office for a colour copy of my passport certified by a person on the list of people who can certify. We’ve all got to do it. And Comm Bank don’t accept online signatures (or whatever they are called) so my sister in America is going to have to post her stuff back too. This will slow things up a little bit. But not too much, I would think. They can’t finalize Mum’s will until Dad’s money has been moved.

Sounds a bit tedious.

My 98-yo Uncle Andrei whose wife died recently has decided to sell his house and go into assisted accommodation, which is a sensible move.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 14:12:10
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994331
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


The rare sighting of a giant phantom jellyfish in chilly Antarctic waters came about because of tourists using private submersibles.

Reminds me of the days when you could buy coloured toilet rolls.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 14:14:34
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994332
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


PermeateFree said:

The rare sighting of a giant phantom jellyfish in chilly Antarctic waters came about because of tourists using private submersibles.

Reminds me of the days when you could buy coloured toilet rolls.

The good old days.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 14:18:50
From: Cymek
ID: 1994335
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


buffy said:

And finally I caught up again. Admittedly there was a hiatus while I did paperwork so the lawyers could sort out Dad’s account (that my brother was supposed to have moved over to Mum’s account about 3 years ago) for which I had to fill in documentation for the Commonwealth bank and also proof of being me stuff including going to the Post Office for a colour copy of my passport certified by a person on the list of people who can certify. We’ve all got to do it. And Comm Bank don’t accept online signatures (or whatever they are called) so my sister in America is going to have to post her stuff back too. This will slow things up a little bit. But not too much, I would think. They can’t finalize Mum’s will until Dad’s money has been moved.

Sounds a bit tedious.

My 98-yo Uncle Andrei whose wife died recently has decided to sell his house and go into assisted accommodation, which is a sensible move.

98 and still living at home is impressive

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 14:22:07
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994337
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Peak Warming Man said:

transition said:

needs nice cup of tea, I does do

watches the news, not much cheer there

I’ve just had a nice cup of tea and am contemplating having another.

landed

I like your cup.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 14:23:33
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994338
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

BREAKING

“Buckingham Palace announced that Queen Camilla is suffering from a ‘seasonal illness’ and has been forced to pull out of her engagements in the West Midlands.”

shakes fist at seasonal illness

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 14:25:33
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994340
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:

Bubblecar said:

PermeateFree said:

The rare sighting of a giant phantom jellyfish in chilly Antarctic waters came about because of tourists using private submersibles.

Reminds me of the days when you could buy coloured toilet rolls.

The good old days.

or buy toilet rolls at all

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 14:32:06
From: buffy
ID: 1994343
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


BREAKING

“Buckingham Palace announced that Queen Camilla is suffering from a ‘seasonal illness’ and has been forced to pull out of her engagements in the West Midlands.”

shakes fist at seasonal illness

She’s got a cold.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 14:34:00
From: buffy
ID: 1994344
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m going to read some more of “Galileo’s Daughter” and have a little nap. Going to Hamilton for archery late in the afternoon.

Auntie Annie has requested I take her to Hamilton tomorrow afternoon for a medical appointment. So it will be three days in a row I go up there. I won’t try to do my shopping while she is at the appointment, I’ll sit and wait for her. I’ll nip in Friday morning for the supermarkets and I need to go to the bank for some small notes/change.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 14:34:53
From: Cymek
ID: 1994345
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

BREAKING

“Buckingham Palace announced that Queen Camilla is suffering from a ‘seasonal illness’ and has been forced to pull out of her engagements in the West Midlands.”

shakes fist at seasonal illness

She’s got a cold.

Cross species illnesses are a worry

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 15:58:09
From: dv
ID: 1994366
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-14/asteroid-explodes-lighting-up-uk-night-sky/101970866

Asteroid explodes, lighting up UK night sky

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 16:03:38
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994367
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-14/asteroid-explodes-lighting-up-uk-night-sky/101970866

Asteroid explodes, lighting up UK night sky

Chinese asteroid?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 16:07:49
From: buffy
ID: 1994368
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-14/asteroid-explodes-lighting-up-uk-night-sky/101970866

Asteroid explodes, lighting up UK night sky

Thanks, I meant to look at that story and forgot to go back.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 16:26:26
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994369
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bit of a storm rumbling around, not much rain in it so far.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 16:31:21
From: Michael V
ID: 1994370
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


dv said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-14/asteroid-explodes-lighting-up-uk-night-sky/101970866

Asteroid explodes, lighting up UK night sky

Chinese asteroid?

Looks like a Chinese Lantern momentarily when it explodes.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 16:36:34
From: Michael V
ID: 1994371
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bit of a storm rumbling around, not much rain in it so far.

I see there are storms all about the place.

We got a millimetre out of a storm this morning. Much lightning and thunder though.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 16:54:39
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994372
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Bit of a storm rumbling around, not much rain in it so far.

I see there are storms all about the place.

We got a millimetre out of a storm this morning. Much lightning and thunder though.


Turned computer on again, yeah a lor of lightning activity some like next door, flash boom.
Got bugger all rain but across the river at Brisbane airport thay got 60mm.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:09:59
From: Elvis_Rieu
ID: 1994373
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

S
P
A
C
E

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:09:59
From: Elvis_Rieu
ID: 1994374
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

S
P
A
C
E

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:10:00
From: Elvis_Rieu
ID: 1994375
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

S
P
A
C
E

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:10:00
From: Elvis_Rieu
ID: 1994376
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

S
P
A
C
E

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:10:01
From: Elvis_Rieu
ID: 1994377
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

S
P
A
C
E

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:10:01
From: Elvis_Rieu
ID: 1994378
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

S
P
A
C
E

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:10:02
From: Elvis_Rieu
ID: 1994379
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

S
P
A
C
E

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:10:02
From: Elvis_Rieu
ID: 1994380
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

S
P
A
C
E

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:10:55
From: Elvis_Rieu
ID: 1994381
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Elvis_Rieu said:


S
P
A
C
E

Damn Fijian brand mouse

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:10:56
From: Elvis_Rieu
ID: 1994382
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Elvis_Rieu said:


S
P
A
C
E

Damn Fijian brand mouse

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:15:25
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994383
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Elvis_Rieu said:


S
P
A
C
E

Steady lad.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:17:21
From: furious
ID: 1994384
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Elvis_Rieu said:


S
P
A
C
E

chr(32)

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:22:09
From: Elvis_Rieu
ID: 1994386
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Hello it’s BC
I’m a Fijian resident now
semi retired do consultant work for NASA

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:32:45
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994387
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


dv said:

People used to make potassium nitrate (for gunpowder) out of urine and chicken shit.

Turns out that anfo is pretty easy and cheap to make, but as a tertiary explosive you need a booster that’s not at all easy to make.

need a det and a booster. getting prilled AN would be harder than fertilizer AN, I would imagine. Though not strictly necessary.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:34:16
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994388
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Elvis_Rieu said:


Hello it’s BC
I’m a Fijian resident now
semi retired do consultant work for NASA

Still spaced out I see.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:34:27
From: Cymek
ID: 1994389
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


dv said:

dv said:

People used to make potassium nitrate (for gunpowder) out of urine and chicken shit.

Turns out that anfo is pretty easy and cheap to make, but as a tertiary explosive you need a booster that’s not at all easy to make.

need a det and a booster. getting prilled AN would be harder than fertilizer AN, I would imagine. Though not strictly necessary.

What’s prilled AN ?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:35:44
From: Michael V
ID: 1994390
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Michael V said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Bit of a storm rumbling around, not much rain in it so far.

I see there are storms all about the place.

We got a millimetre out of a storm this morning. Much lightning and thunder though.


Turned computer on again, yeah a lor of lightning activity some like next door, flash boom.
Got bugger all rain but across the river at Brisbane airport thay got 60mm.

Very black here and lots of flash-bangs. No rain yet…

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:36:03
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994391
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


ChrispenEvan said:

dv said:

Turns out that anfo is pretty easy and cheap to make, but as a tertiary explosive you need a booster that’s not at all easy to make.

need a det and a booster. getting prilled AN would be harder than fertilizer AN, I would imagine. Though not strictly necessary.

What’s prilled AN ?

it is porous so the diesel fuel soaks in better.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:36:27
From: Michael V
ID: 1994392
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Elvis_Rieu said:


Elvis_Rieu said:

S
P
A
C
E

Damn Fijian brand mouse

LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:44:07
From: Michael V
ID: 1994395
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Cymek said:

ChrispenEvan said:

need a det and a booster. getting prilled AN would be harder than fertilizer AN, I would imagine. Though not strictly necessary.

What’s prilled AN ?

it is porous so the diesel fuel soaks in better.

Ammonium Nitrate. The AN in ANFO The FO is fuel oil.

At the gold mine the company mixed their own ANFO in a large truck concrete mixer. We used a heck of a lot of it.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:50:29
From: Michael V
ID: 1994396
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

There was a slight hint of this a few days back. The three blokes found clinging to an Esky had at least 365 kg of cocaine on their capsized boat. Naughty, naughty, naughty. They’ll be in trouble with their bosses as well as the Police.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-14/wa-cocaine-haul-manhunt-men-clinging-esky/101972286

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 17:52:01
From: Cymek
ID: 1994397
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


There was a slight hint of this a few days back. The three blokes found clinging to an Esky had at least 365 kg of cocaine on their capsized boat. Naughty, naughty, naughty. They’ll be in trouble with their bosses as well as the Police.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-14/wa-cocaine-haul-manhunt-men-clinging-esky/101972286

Yeah I was thinking that, long jail sentence and people disgruntled with the loss of such a large amount of cocaine

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:00:16
From: Elvis_Rieu
ID: 1994398
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Elvis_Rieu said:

Hello it’s BC
I’m a Fijian resident now
semi retired do consultant work for NASA

Still spaced out I see.

You wait
NASA agreed with my idea to turn the ISS into a space ship to go to Mars, it’s going to happen this decade.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:01:37
From: Cymek
ID: 1994399
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

When was DV’s Index added ?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:04:30
From: dv
ID: 1994400
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Making lamb with a butter and herb marinade. I think I went overboard with the cumin but I guess they’ll eat it if they’re hungry.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:09:05
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994401
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Making lamb with a butter and herb marinade. I think I went overboard with the cumin but I guess they’ll eat it if they’re hungry.

Exactly, if they don’t want their cumin or brussel sprouts they can go to bed hungry.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:09:39
From: Michael V
ID: 1994402
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Making lamb with a butter and herb marinade. I think I went overboard with the cumin but I guess they’ll eat it if they’re hungry.

Cumin will be mostly vaporised in the cooking.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:10:51
From: Michael V
ID: 1994403
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


When was DV’s Index added ?

Dunno. I saw it a couple of nights back when I said goodnight.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:14:07
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994405
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


When was DV’s Index added ?

Hadn’t noticed it before.
Thanks for the heads up.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:17:29
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994406
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Elvis_Rieu said:


roughbarked said:

Elvis_Rieu said:

Hello it’s BC
I’m a Fijian resident now
semi retired do consultant work for NASA

Still spaced out I see.

You wait
NASA agreed with my idea to turn the ISS into a space ship to go to Mars, it’s going to happen this decade.

It would need modification.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:17:38
From: sibeen
ID: 1994407
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

It was added a week or so ago. I think it was Kingy who emailed cb88 and asked for the feature.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:17:59
From: Michael V
ID: 1994408
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

It’s raining properly now. And the flash-bangs are really close, really loud and really bright.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:18:49
From: Elvis_Rieu
ID: 1994409
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Elvis_Rieu said:

roughbarked said:

Still spaced out I see.

You wait
NASA agreed with my idea to turn the ISS into a space ship to go to Mars, it’s going to happen this decade.

It would need modification.

Yes, I’m helping with that

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:19:15
From: Cymek
ID: 1994410
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


It was added a week or so ago. I think it was Kingy who emailed cb88 and asked for the feature.

Ok, thanks

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:21:14
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994411
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Elvis_Rieu said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Elvis_Rieu said:

You wait
NASA agreed with my idea to turn the ISS into a space ship to go to Mars, it’s going to happen this decade.

It would need modification.

Yes, I’m helping with that

If they can get it there, it would be great to see it become an orbiting station around Mars.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:30:48
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994413
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Elvis_Rieu said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

It would need modification.

Yes, I’m helping with that

If they can get it there, it would be great to see it become an orbiting station around Mars.

Some of the next exciting things to do would be how to work out the best way for an industry rollout on Mars and the Moon.

An industry rollout for making things needed on Mars and the Moon.

An industry rollout that could meet demands for making spaceships on Mars.

Mars has less gravity, launches might be a lot cheaper there.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:33:47
From: Arts
ID: 1994415
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


dv said:

Making lamb with a butter and herb marinade. I think I went overboard with the cumin but I guess they’ll eat it if they’re hungry.

Cumin will be mostly vaporised in the cooking.

my son was making some cinnamon rolls once,, and accidentally used cumin instead… form that experience I can tell you that cumin does not vaporise with cooking…

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:36:36
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994416
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Michael V said:

dv said:

Making lamb with a butter and herb marinade. I think I went overboard with the cumin but I guess they’ll eat it if they’re hungry.

Cumin will be mostly vaporised in the cooking.

my son was making some cinnamon rolls once,, and accidentally used cumin instead… form that experience I can tell you that cumin does not vaporise with cooking…

I remember that episode. And you lot didn’t have the good grace to eat them and tell him they were delicious. Probably dashed his aspirations of becoming a Michelin chef.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:41:27
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994419
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Arts said:

Michael V said:

Cumin will be mostly vaporised in the cooking.

my son was making some cinnamon rolls once,, and accidentally used cumin instead… form that experience I can tell you that cumin does not vaporise with cooking…

I remember that episode. And you lot didn’t have the good grace to eat them and tell him they were delicious. Probably dashed his aspirations of becoming a Michelin chef.

of course I would have done the same plus telling him they tasted like shit and is there something wrong with your eyes. I mean if you’re going to kill someone’s spirit do it properly.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:41:34
From: Arts
ID: 1994420
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Arts said:

Michael V said:

Cumin will be mostly vaporised in the cooking.

my son was making some cinnamon rolls once,, and accidentally used cumin instead… form that experience I can tell you that cumin does not vaporise with cooking…

I remember that episode. And you lot didn’t have the good grace to eat them and tell him they were delicious. Probably dashed his aspirations of becoming a Michelin chef.

we are terrible people.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:42:57
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994421
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Arts said:

my son was making some cinnamon rolls once,, and accidentally used cumin instead… form that experience I can tell you that cumin does not vaporise with cooking…

I remember that episode. And you lot didn’t have the good grace to eat them and tell him they were delicious. Probably dashed his aspirations of becoming a Michelin chef.

we are terrible people.

a family of ivan milats.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:44:10
From: Michael V
ID: 1994422
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Michael V said:

dv said:

Making lamb with a butter and herb marinade. I think I went overboard with the cumin but I guess they’ll eat it if they’re hungry.

Cumin will be mostly vaporised in the cooking.

my son was making some cinnamon rolls once,, and accidentally used cumin instead… form that experience I can tell you that cumin does not vaporise with cooking…

I did say mostly.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:44:37
From: Arts
ID: 1994423
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Arts said:

ChrispenEvan said:

I remember that episode. And you lot didn’t have the good grace to eat them and tell him they were delicious. Probably dashed his aspirations of becoming a Michelin chef.

we are terrible people.

a family of ivan milats.

on the upside, he made them correctly at a later time… and he still makes them occasionally, wo all the time in the chokie paid off.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:46:40
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994424
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Elvis_Rieu said:

Yes, I’m helping with that

If they can get it there, it would be great to see it become an orbiting station around Mars.

Some of the next exciting things to do would be how to work out the best way for an industry rollout on Mars and the Moon.

An industry rollout for making things needed on Mars and the Moon.

An industry rollout that could meet demands for making spaceships on Mars.

Mars has less gravity, launches might be a lot cheaper there.

Something like

1 Build bases using robots, 3D printing, and drones from which humans can work.
2 Build landing and launching capability.
3 Build greenhouses for plants
4 Build a facility for making fuel.
5 Create an industry rollout for making things need on Mars
6 Create an industry rollout for building spaceships.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:47:17
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994425
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Arts said:

we are terrible people.

a family of ivan milats.

on the upside, he made them correctly at a later time… and he still makes them occasionally, wo all the time in the chokie paid off.

It is a good skill to have, cooking treats and not just mains.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:50:37
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994428
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

what, cumin and cinnamon are pretty much interchangeable anyway

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:53:38
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994431
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


what, cumin and cinnamon are pretty much interchangeable anyway

cinnamon doesn’t have a u in it.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 18:56:12
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994432
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

If they can get it there, it would be great to see it become an orbiting station around Mars.

Some of the next exciting things to do would be how to work out the best way for an industry rollout on Mars and the Moon.

An industry rollout for making things needed on Mars and the Moon.

An industry rollout that could meet demands for making spaceships on Mars.

Mars has less gravity, launches might be a lot cheaper there.

Something like

1 Build bases using robots, 3D printing, and drones from which humans can work.
2 Build landing and launching capability.
3 Build greenhouses for plants
4 Build a facility for making fuel.
5 Create an industry rollout for making things need on Mars
6 Create an industry rollout for building spaceships.

Small nuclear generators would take up the initial energy requirements which would develop into

A power grid along with solar power farm, a wind generator farm and a battery farm.

Interesting speculating on what would be needed.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 19:02:10
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994433
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

shut up and live democracy, leave if you don’t like it

But pastoralists and firearms traders say they’ve been blindsided by the government’s lack of consultation.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 19:08:53
From: Arts
ID: 1994434
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


what, cumin and cinnamon are pretty much interchangeable anyway

cinnamon takes a backseat to no babka.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 19:13:36
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994436
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“Taking a shot over 300 metres with a .30 calibre takes an extremely skilled marksman, you run a lot of risks at that distance with a .30 cal with bullet drop and wind,” he said.

“You could misjudge the distance beyond 300 metres quite easily, which means you’re not always going to get a perfect head shot or heart shot.”

Hmmmm bullet drop doesn’t depend on calibre. As for range you can get range finders pretty easily. I watch a few aussie pest control shooters, fox, deer, pigs, cats etc. the shoot a lot at night and used range finders.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 19:20:30
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994437
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Still speculating on Going to to Mars

1 Build bases using robots, 3D printing, and drones from which humans can work.
2 Small nuclear generators would take up the initial energy requirements which would develop into
3 A power grid along with solar power farm, a wind generator farm, a battery farm, load balancing.
4 Build landing and launching capability.
5 Build roads between facilities.
6 Build greenhouses for plants.
7 Build a facility for making fuel.
8 Create an industry rollout for making things need on Mars.
9 Create an industry rollout for building spaceships for space mining, space tourism,

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 19:21:48
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994438
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Nice cleaning bedding on the bed, clean dry towels on the linen shelves.

You’re right, I deserve some kind of Good Housekeeping Award.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 19:22:15
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994439
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


what, cumin and cinnamon are pretty much interchangeable anyway

Cumin is nothing like cinnamon.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 19:29:37
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994440
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Space telescopes could be put on Mars, as there is no light pollution or radio pollution for deep space observation.

Plus they could be put to use for asteroid surveillance given clear skies.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 19:35:36
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1994441
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Space telescopes could be put on Mars, as there is no light pollution or radio pollution for deep space observation.

Plus they could be put to use for asteroid surveillance given clear skies.

Mars is a long way from Earth for near-Earth object detection.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 19:35:58
From: sibeen
ID: 1994442
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Nice cleaning bedding on the bed, clean dry towels on the linen shelves.

You’re right, I deserve some kind of Good Housekeeping Award.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 19:37:23
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994443
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


“Taking a shot over 300 metres with a .30 calibre takes an extremely skilled marksman, you run a lot of risks at that distance with a .30 cal with bullet drop and wind,” he said.

“You could misjudge the distance beyond 300 metres quite easily, which means you’re not always going to get a perfect head shot or heart shot.”

Hmmmm bullet drop doesn’t depend on calibre. As for range you can get range finders pretty easily. I watch a few aussie pest control shooters, fox, deer, pigs, cats etc. the shoot a lot at night and used range finders.

When ah wurr a lad…

…200 yards (as was the fashion then) was a standard shoot. A lot of people do fairly well at that range.

On a good day, i could, with ‘my’ rifle (7.62 mm/.308, a rifle in which the parts seemed to be somewhat better integrated and matched than most), i could ‘reliably’ obtain hits on a Fig. 11 target at 600 yds.

My best ever, on a particular day when everything just ‘felt right’, was 900 yds., but that was quite certainly the exception and not the rule.

In Vietnam, Sgt. Adelbert F. Waldron UA Army once shot a Viet Cong sniper out of a tree-top position at 900 yards.

Good shooting, made more remarkable when it’s understood that Sgt. Waldron was shooting from a standing position on the deck of a moving boat.

Another league altogether.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 19:39:22
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994444
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The dark side of the moon would be a good place for asteroid hunting.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 19:42:47
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994445
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

There is a good argument for going to Mars, which is if we want to colonise other planets then we need to start somewhere, so we will have some experience when that happens.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 19:44:47
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994446
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen said:


Bubblecar said:

Nice cleaning bedding on the bed, clean dry towels on the linen shelves.

You’re right, I deserve some kind of Good Housekeeping Award.


That character’s feet aren’t connected to its body.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 19:47:32
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994447
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sibeen said:

Bubblecar said:

Nice cleaning bedding on the bed, clean dry towels on the linen shelves.

You’re right, I deserve some kind of Good Housekeeping Award.


That character’s feet aren’t connected to its body.

Don’t worry, she’s ‘armless.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 19:47:48
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994448
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


There is a good argument for going to Mars, which is if we want to colonise other planets then we need to start somewhere, so we will have some experience when that happens.

Another good argument for going to Mars is mining. Lots of resources on Mars.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 19:56:54
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994449
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Exceptional new catalyst cheaply splits hydrogen from seawater

Green hydrogen can’t be viewed as environmentally friendly if it drinks huge amounts of fresh water, or results in the bulk output of toxic chlorine, according to RMIT researchers who say they’ve come up with a cheap technique that does neither.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:03:13
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994450
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Exceptional new catalyst cheaply splits hydrogen from seawater

Green hydrogen can’t be viewed as environmentally friendly if it drinks huge amounts of fresh water, or results in the bulk output of toxic chlorine, according to RMIT researchers who say they’ve come up with a cheap technique that does neither.

more…

Well, don’t expect to hear any more of that.

What energy company anywhere want’s a cheap process? How can you justify high prices for the product if the process is known to be cheap?

It’ll get bought up and buried.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:03:39
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994451
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Apologies for the spurious apostrophe.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:08:42
From: Michael V
ID: 1994452
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Exceptional new catalyst cheaply splits hydrogen from seawater

Green hydrogen can’t be viewed as environmentally friendly if it drinks huge amounts of fresh water, or results in the bulk output of toxic chlorine, according to RMIT researchers who say they’ve come up with a cheap technique that does neither.

more…

Interesting, ta.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:10:56
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994453
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Apologies for the spurious apostrophe.

I wasn’t going to say anything about it, however I did get yore file out and updated it.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:12:20
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994454
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Event Horizon Telescope captures images of NRAO 530 quasar

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:13:22
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994455
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Hundreds of new high-redshift quasars discovered

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:15:18
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994456
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


captain_spalding said:

Apologies for the spurious apostrophe.

I wasn’t going to say anything about it, however I did get yore file out and updated it.

yaw.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:17:28
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994457
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Peak Warming Man said:

captain_spalding said:

Apologies for the spurious apostrophe.

I wasn’t going to say anything about it, however I did get yore file out and updated it.

yaw.

I’m just following instructions from earlier today.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:18:03
From: poikilotherm
ID: 1994458
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Space telescopes could be put on Mars, as there is no light pollution or radio pollution for deep space observation.

Plus they could be put to use for asteroid surveillance given clear skies.

Mars is a long way from Earth for near-Earth object detection.

But you could just fly the ISS there and back…

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:24:04
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994460
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Can’t remember if I took my tablets today.

Ought to purchase a pill organiser.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:27:44
From: btm
ID: 1994461
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ChrispenEvan said:

“Taking a shot over 300 metres with a .30 calibre takes an extremely skilled marksman, you run a lot of risks at that distance with a .30 cal with bullet drop and wind,” he said.

“You could misjudge the distance beyond 300 metres quite easily, which means you’re not always going to get a perfect head shot or heart shot.”

Hmmmm bullet drop doesn’t depend on calibre. As for range you can get range finders pretty easily. I watch a few aussie pest control shooters, fox, deer, pigs, cats etc. the shoot a lot at night and used range finders.

When ah wurr a lad…

…200 yards (as was the fashion then) was a standard shoot. A lot of people do fairly well at that range.

On a good day, i could, with ‘my’ rifle (7.62 mm/.308, a rifle in which the parts seemed to be somewhat better integrated and matched than most), i could ‘reliably’ obtain hits on a Fig. 11 target at 600 yds.

My best ever, on a particular day when everything just ‘felt right’, was 900 yds., but that was quite certainly the exception and not the rule.

In Vietnam, Sgt. Adelbert F. Waldron UA Army once shot a Viet Cong sniper out of a tree-top position at 900 yards.

Good shooting, made more remarkable when it’s understood that Sgt. Waldron was shooting from a standing position on the deck of a moving boat.

Another league altogether.

I used to shoot with a Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk 3 rebored to .308/7.62 i inherited from my grandfather; my specialty range was 900 yd. I was always prone, though.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:28:19
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994462
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I will speculate about reasons to go to Mars, I am sure more could be found.

1 Mars could serve as a prototype for the colonisation of other worlds.
2 Mining.
3 Research.
4 Building spaceships for deep space mining.
5 Launches would be cheaper.
6 Space telescopes, thinner atmosphere, clear skies, no light pollution, no radio pollution.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:29:17
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994463
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Can’t remember if I took my tablets today.

Ought to purchase a pill organiser.

This one will never rebbed off for 5,000 times of use.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:31:01
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994464
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I have tablet organisers, good for staying sorted for 2 weeks.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:33:03
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994465
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Can’t remember if I took my tablets today.

Ought to purchase a pill organiser.

This one will never rebbed off for 5,000 times of use.


It allows you to greet the sun on a clifftop. But has no actual hinges so those lids might break off after a few openings and shuttings.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:33:24
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994466
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

For tea I had a bacon and egg sanger with cheese and tomato.
For dessert I’ll be having a large lice of carrot cake, buttered.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:34:36
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994467
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


I have tablet organisers, good for staying sorted for 2 weeks.

It’s a good idea.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:35:10
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994468
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


For tea I had a bacon and egg sanger with cheese and tomato.
For dessert I’ll be having a large lice of carrot cake, buttered.

Fair enough but I’m concerned about the lack of greens in your diet.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:39:07
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994469
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Can’t remember if I took my tablets today.

Ought to purchase a pill organiser.

This one will never rebbed off for 5,000 times of use.


It allows you to greet the sun on a clifftop. But has no actual hinges so those lids might break off after a few openings and shuttings.


OTOH you get two for $7.99 and a choice of colours. Free postage.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:39:52
From: furious
ID: 1994470
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:

For tea I had a bacon and egg sanger with cheese and tomato.
For dessert I’ll be having a large lice of carrot cake, buttered.

Fair enough but I’m concerned about the lack of greens in your diet.

Could have been a green tomato, or green eggs, or even a green lice…

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:40:17
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994471
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

And look how it compares with other brands of pill organisers.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:40:49
From: furious
ID: 1994472
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


And look how it compares with other brands of pill organisers.


That’s funny…

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:41:18
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994473
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Can’t remember if I took my tablets today.

Ought to purchase a pill organiser.

This one will never rebbed off for 5,000 times of use.


I’ll be getting some pillboxes for the Redoubt.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:43:00
From: sibeen
ID: 1994474
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Can’t remember if I took my tablets today.

Ought to purchase a pill organiser.

This one will never rebbed off for 5,000 times of use.


I’ll be getting some pillboxes for the Redoubt.

That will keep the GERMans away.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:43:42
From: poikilotherm
ID: 1994475
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Can’t remember if I took my tablets today.

Ought to purchase a pill organiser.

This one will never rebbed off for 5,000 times of use.


It allows you to greet the sun on a clifftop. But has no actual hinges so those lids might break off after a few openings and shuttings.

Looks like uni students and office workers need organising for their daily meth.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:50:28
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1994476
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


For tea I had a bacon and egg sanger with cheese and tomato.
For dessert I’ll be having a large lice of carrot cake, buttered.

You’re terrible at this grammar caper.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 20:58:34
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994477
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Peak Warming Man said:

For tea I had a bacon and egg sanger with cheese and tomato.
For dessert I’ll be having a large lice of carrot cake, buttered.

You’re terrible at this grammar caper.

And I don’t think it’s going to get any better.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 21:04:58
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994478
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:

I used to shoot with a Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk 3 rebored to .308/7.62 i inherited from my grandfather; my specialty range was 900 yd. I was always prone, though.

This must look familiar to you then:

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 21:07:14
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994481
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OK, ordering now. A new and more positive phase of my life will soon begin.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 21:08:24
From: furious
ID: 1994482
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


OK, ordering now. A new and more positive phase of my life will soon begin.


Once you have it, though, is it mandatory that you have to travel?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 21:09:38
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994483
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


OK, ordering now. A new and more positive phase of my life will soon begin.


Running over bridges?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 21:10:23
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994484
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

furious said:


Bubblecar said:

OK, ordering now. A new and more positive phase of my life will soon begin.


Once you have it, though, is it mandatory that you have to travel?

No but if you want or need to travel, you’ll be able to do so without having to take the drawer in which you normally store your tablet packets.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 21:18:51
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1994485
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


OK, ordering now. A new and more positive phase of my life will soon begin.

We’ve heard that before.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 21:19:59
From: Kingy
ID: 1994486
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


I will speculate about reasons to go to Mars, I am sure more could be found.

1 Mars could serve as a prototype for the colonisation of other worlds.
2 Mining.
3 Research.
4 Building spaceships for deep space mining.
5 Launches would be cheaper.
6 Space telescopes, thinner atmosphere, clear skies, no light pollution, no radio pollution.

Solar powered rocket fuel factories and fuel stations.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 21:27:44
From: Kingy
ID: 1994487
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


OK, ordering now. A new and more positive phase of my life will soon begin.


I’ve seen that before somewhere…

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 21:49:32
From: Kingy
ID: 1994489
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I had a look in clients house today, and the phone was an older model.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 21:54:59
From: Kingy
ID: 1994491
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


I had a look in clients house today, and the phone was an older model.


To be fair, it did have the new hand-ear dogbone, and didn’t just rely on the microphone on the front.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 22:02:44
From: transition
ID: 1994493
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

armarnarmarnar

coffee landed

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 22:07:44
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994495
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Space dust as Earth’s sun shield

Dust launched from the moon’s surface or from a space station positioned between Earth and the sun could reduce enough solar radiation to mitigate the impacts of climate change.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 22:08:49
From: transition
ID: 1994496
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Kingy said:

I had a look in clients house today, and the phone was an older model.


To be fair, it did have the new hand-ear dogbone, and didn’t just rely on the microphone on the front.

that’s a telephone

looks friendly too, got eyes, nose….

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 22:39:58
From: Woodie
ID: 1994502
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The mystery of moolies, hey what but.

Lismore 8 moolies.

20kms away in Ballina ……. 134 moolies.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 22:40:25
From: btm
ID: 1994503
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:

This must look familiar to you then:

!https://shooterscalculator.com/images/trajectory/ballistic_trajectory_chart_740b2d5c.png

Thanks, c_s; I haven’t seen one of them for years.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 22:41:30
From: buffy
ID: 1994504
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I watched this on SBS1. I neglected to note that it ran for an hour and a half. So I’m up later than I usually am. It was not fun viewing. But it was interesting. Cults…

Gloriavale: New Zealand’s Secret Cult

Tuesday, 14 Feb

8:30 PM – 10:05 PM

Gloriavale: New Zealand’s Secret Cult is an observational documentary examining the widespread abuse inside the infamous Gloriavale Christian Community cult and the institutional failures that have allowed it to continue. With unprecedented access to the notoriously secretive community, the filmmakers follow a lone family as they mount a ground-breaking legal case against the cult’s powerful leaders. Long associated with allegations of sexual and physical abuse, human rights violations and fraud, the true extent of Gloriavale’s crimes and the cruelty of its leaders is exposed as the Ready family risk losing their home, their community and those they love for a chance to bring positive change to Gloriavale.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 22:44:06
From: Woodie
ID: 1994505
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I watched this on SBS1. I neglected to note that it ran for an hour and a half. So I’m up later than I usually am. It was not fun viewing. But it was interesting. Cults…

Gloriavale: New Zealand’s Secret Cult

Tuesday, 14 Feb

8:30 PM – 10:05 PM

Gloriavale: New Zealand’s Secret Cult is an observational documentary examining the widespread abuse inside the infamous Gloriavale Christian Community cult and the institutional failures that have allowed it to continue. With unprecedented access to the notoriously secretive community, the filmmakers follow a lone family as they mount a ground-breaking legal case against the cult’s powerful leaders. Long associated with allegations of sexual and physical abuse, human rights violations and fraud, the true extent of Gloriavale’s crimes and the cruelty of its leaders is exposed as the Ready family risk losing their home, their community and those they love for a chance to bring positive change to Gloriavale.

I was a viewer too, Ms Buffy.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 22:46:01
From: transition
ID: 1994506
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

childers heading to bed

oldest home also from adelaide, heading back tomorrow, back to uni early next month, doing media studies

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 22:47:44
From: party_pants
ID: 1994507
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


The mystery of moolies, hey what but.

Lismore 8 moolies.

20kms away in Ballina ……. 134 moolies.

Hilly terrain out that way? Is Lismore in some kind of wind shadow behind the hills, if the rain is coming in off the coast?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 23:09:43
From: Woodie
ID: 1994509
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Woodie said:

The mystery of moolies, hey what but.

Lismore 8 moolies.

20kms away in Ballina ……. 134 moolies.

Hilly terrain out that way? Is Lismore in some kind of wind shadow behind the hills, if the rain is coming in off the coast?

Try this, Mr Party Pants.

http://www.oscilmet.com.au/?page=loops.main&radar=283&numberofImages=60&dateStart=1676347200&dateFinish=1676376000

You may have to “log in”.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2023 23:11:28
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994510
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Why are people so unkind.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 06:44:56
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994525
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


furious said:

Bubblecar said:

OK, ordering now. A new and more positive phase of my life will soon begin.


Once you have it, though, is it mandatory that you have to travel?

No but if you want or need to travel, you’ll be able to do so without having to take the drawer in which you normally store your tablet packets.

I keep mine in the fridge.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 07:29:32
From: buffy
ID: 1994526
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 10 degrees. The sky has a few wispy clouds. We are forecast a mostly sunny 33 degrees.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 07:32:57
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994527
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Good morning Holidayers. Presently 10 degrees. The sky has a few wispy clouds. We are forecast a mostly sunny 33 degrees.

G’day. 17.3 °C here. No clouds and heading for 34 °C

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:13:30
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994528
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

From my Outlook inbox this morning:

“This guy offered his white wife to the African tribesmen as a gift in exchange for their secret manhood elongation ritual. And it WORKED!”

I mean come on Outlook junk-scanning bots, if that isn’t obvious junk, I don’t know what is.

Or are you getting paid to let this stuff through?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:18:43
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994530
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


From my Outlook inbox this morning:

“This guy offered his white wife to the African tribesmen as a gift in exchange for their secret manhood elongation ritual. And it WORKED!”

I mean come on Outlook junk-scanning bots, if that isn’t obvious junk, I don’t know what is.

Or are you getting paid to let this stuff through?

Gosh.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:21:54
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994532
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Went for the morning ambulation and spotted this. So I was the voyuer for a bit.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:24:21
From: buffy
ID: 1994536
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I should walk the dogs. Later today I have to take Auntie Annie to Hamilton for an appointment at the specialists rooms at the hospital. I’ll have to find a surgical mask because I will have to take her in, as she needs to be in a wheelchair. She can’t breathe very well. I don’t think they like my cloth ones.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:24:42
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994537
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“Never touched her, never,” Peter says.

“She had told them that I was abusive because I raised my voice and like I said to child services, ‘Of course I’m gonna raise my voice. You’ve got drugs around my child. Bet your arse I’m going to yell at you.’

“They told me I couldn’t do that.”

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:26:43
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994538
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

From my Outlook inbox this morning:

“This guy offered his white wife to the African tribesmen as a gift in exchange for their secret manhood elongation ritual. And it WORKED!”

I mean come on Outlook junk-scanning bots, if that isn’t obvious junk, I don’t know what is.

Or are you getting paid to let this stuff through?

Gosh.

the ever given didn’t let any junk through

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:31:14
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994539
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

From my Outlook inbox this morning:

“This guy offered his white wife to the African tribesmen as a gift in exchange for their secret manhood elongation ritual. And it WORKED!”

I mean come on Outlook junk-scanning bots, if that isn’t obvious junk, I don’t know what is.

Or are you getting paid to let this stuff through?

Gosh.

the ever given didn’t let any junk through

What is “the ever given”?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:31:29
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994540
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


From my Outlook inbox this morning:

“This guy offered his white wife to the African tribesmen as a gift in exchange for their secret manhood elongation ritual. And it WORKED!”

I mean come on Outlook junk-scanning bots, if that isn’t obvious junk, I don’t know what is.

Or are you getting paid to let this stuff through?

They only let it through because it WORKED.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:36:19
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994541
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

Gosh.

the ever given didn’t let any junk through

What is “the ever given”?

The ship that got stuck in the canal?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:36:30
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994542
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Heading for 27 here before a merciless 30 tomorrow and vicious 32 on Friday.

I’ll be doing some housework (hoovering a few rooms, cleaning fridge interior, cleaning lavatory, cleaning bathroom sink) and a little ironing.

Apart from that it’s music and probably some art. Doing my Coles order at some stage and remembering to put the bins out.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:37:31
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994543
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

Gosh.

the ever given didn’t let any junk through

What is “the ever given”?

far canal, next they’ll be asking what’s a junk

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:39:33
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994544
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


From my Outlook inbox this morning:

“This guy offered his white wife to the African tribesmen as a gift in exchange for their secret manhood elongation ritual. And it WORKED!”

I mean come on Outlook junk-scanning bots, if that isn’t obvious junk, I don’t know what is.

Or are you getting paid to let this stuff through?

Of course it is a junk email.

The word “junk” is American English slang for a man’s genitals

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:39:43
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994545
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

SCIENCE said:

the ever given didn’t let any junk through

What is “the ever given”?

far canal, next they’ll be asking what’s a junk

OK, I suppose I could have binged that.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:40:14
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994546
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

SCIENCE said:

the ever given didn’t let any junk through

What is “the ever given”?

The ship that got stuck in the canal?

yes, a far canal, creating what is known as a big far queue

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:41:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994547
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Heading for 27 here before a merciless 30 tomorrow and vicious 32 on Friday.

I’ll be doing some housework (hoovering a few rooms, cleaning fridge interior, cleaning lavatory, cleaning bathroom sink) and a little ironing.

Apart from that it’s music and probably some art. Doing my Coles order at some stage and remembering to put the bins out.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:41:49
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994548
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

From my Outlook inbox this morning:

“This guy offered his white wife to the African tribesmen as a gift in exchange for their secret manhood elongation ritual. And it WORKED!”

I mean come on Outlook junk-scanning bots, if that isn’t obvious junk, I don’t know what is.

Or are you getting paid to let this stuff through?

Of course it is a junk email.

The word “junk” is American English slang for a man’s genitals

Didn’t know that.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:41:52
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994549
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:

SCIENCE said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

What is “the ever given”?

far canal, next they’ll be asking what’s a junk

OK, I suppose I could have binged that.

your wish is their command or file name

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:43:16
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994550
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

Heading for 27 here before a merciless 30 tomorrow and vicious 32 on Friday.

I’ll be doing some housework (hoovering a few rooms, cleaning fridge interior, cleaning lavatory, cleaning bathroom sink) and a little ironing.

Apart from that it’s music and probably some art. Doing my Coles order at some stage and remembering to put the bins out.


Not really fit for human habitation.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:43:28
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994551
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:

ChrispenEvan said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

From my Outlook inbox this morning:

“This guy offered his white wife to the African tribesmen as a gift in exchange for their secret manhood elongation ritual. And it WORKED!”

I mean come on Outlook junk-scanning bots, if that isn’t obvious junk, I don’t know what is.

Or are you getting paid to let this stuff through?

Of course it is a junk email.

The word “junk” is American English slang for a man’s genitals

Didn’t know that.

at first we considered taking ChrispenEvan’s angle on the hot take but decided it would be too obvious but there we go someone had to

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:43:29
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994552
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

What is “the ever given”?

The ship that got stuck in the canal?

yes, a far canal, creating what is known as a big far queue


I thought the “far canal” comment was quite amusing.

“Far queue” is going a bit too far though.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:44:31
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994553
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

The ship that got stuck in the canal?

yes, a far canal, creating what is known as a big far queue


I thought the “far canal” comment was quite amusing.

“Far queue” is going a bit too far though.

remember this canal queue stuff all happened back when COVID-19 was just a far cough though

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:44:48
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994554
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

ChrispenEvan said:

Of course it is a junk email.

The word “junk” is American English slang for a man’s genitals

Didn’t know that.

at first we considered taking ChrispenEvan’s angle on the hot take but decided it would be too obvious but there we go someone had to

I can be relied on to be that someone who has to.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:49:29
From: Michael V
ID: 1994555
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light cool breezes, 17.8°C and 99% RH. We had a good drop of rain late yesterday afternoon and into the night Maybe 40 mm or so. I haven’t measured the ORB yet. BoM forecasts a top of 28°C and a slight chance of rain throughout the day.

Agenda: walk with The Patient for a couple of kilometres or so. Possibly go do some shopping. Renew the equipment hire for The Patient. Do more of Mum’s stuff.

Meals? Unknown at this stage.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:50:23
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994556
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Meanwhile my spam today comes from The Age, Book Depository, Inkstation, Bruny Island Cheese Club, The Early Music Shop and Hornby.

#BetterClassofSpam

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:51:38
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994557
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light cool breezes, 17.8°C and 99% RH. We had a good drop of rain late yesterday afternoon and into the night Maybe 40 mm or so. I haven’t measured the ORB yet. BoM forecasts a top of 28°C and a slight chance of rain throughout the day.

Agenda: walk with The Patient for a couple of kilometres or so. Possibly go do some shopping. Renew the equipment hire for The Patient. Do more of Mum’s stuff.

Meals? Unknown at this stage.

She’s doing a decent amount of walking by the sound of it.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:53:29
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994558
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

Heading for 27 here before a merciless 30 tomorrow and vicious 32 on Friday.

I’ll be doing some housework (hoovering a few rooms, cleaning fridge interior, cleaning lavatory, cleaning bathroom sink) and a little ironing.

Apart from that it’s music and probably some art. Doing my Coles order at some stage and remembering to put the bins out.


Not really fit for human habitation.

That’s what John Oxley said when he first saw the place.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 08:56:17
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994559
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light cool breezes, 17.8°C and 99% RH. We had a good drop of rain late yesterday afternoon and into the night Maybe 40 mm or so. I haven’t measured the ORB yet. BoM forecasts a top of 28°C and a slight chance of rain throughout the day.

Agenda: walk with The Patient for a couple of kilometres or so. Possibly go do some shopping. Renew the equipment hire for The Patient. Do more of Mum’s stuff.

Meals? Unknown at this stage.

Sounds as if she is recobering well. :) meals? I think I know what I’ll be eating tonight.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 09:06:53
From: Michael V
ID: 1994560
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Michael V said:

Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light cool breezes, 17.8°C and 99% RH. We had a good drop of rain late yesterday afternoon and into the night Maybe 40 mm or so. I haven’t measured the ORB yet. BoM forecasts a top of 28°C and a slight chance of rain throughout the day.

Agenda: walk with The Patient for a couple of kilometres or so. Possibly go do some shopping. Renew the equipment hire for The Patient. Do more of Mum’s stuff.

Meals? Unknown at this stage.

She’s doing a decent amount of walking by the sound of it.

Not bad, considering she started about a week and a half ago and was very sore and tired after about 400 metres. The daily walk is part of the rehabilitation, along with specialist exercises to get the full range of movement in the new knee. Each day has to be a bit longer walk, if possible.

None yesterday unfortunately, due to the rain in the morning and late afternoon and a hot full sun in the day.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 09:07:58
From: Michael V
ID: 1994561
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Michael V said:

Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light cool breezes, 17.8°C and 99% RH. We had a good drop of rain late yesterday afternoon and into the night Maybe 40 mm or so. I haven’t measured the ORB yet. BoM forecasts a top of 28°C and a slight chance of rain throughout the day.

Agenda: walk with The Patient for a couple of kilometres or so. Possibly go do some shopping. Renew the equipment hire for The Patient. Do more of Mum’s stuff.

Meals? Unknown at this stage.

Sounds as if she is recobering well. :) meals? I think I know what I’ll be eating tonight.

Oyster mushrooms. Nice.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 09:14:55
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994562
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light cool breezes, 17.8°C and 99% RH. We had a good drop of rain late yesterday afternoon and into the night Maybe 40 mm or so. I haven’t measured the ORB yet. BoM forecasts a top of 28°C and a slight chance of rain throughout the day.

Agenda: walk with The Patient for a couple of kilometres or so. Possibly go do some shopping. Renew the equipment hire for The Patient. Do more of Mum’s stuff.

Meals? Unknown at this stage.

Sounds as if she is recobering well. :) meals? I think I know what I’ll be eating tonight.

Oyster mushrooms. Nice.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 09:17:51
From: Woodie
ID: 1994563
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Michael V said:

Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light cool breezes, 17.8°C and 99% RH. We had a good drop of rain late yesterday afternoon and into the night Maybe 40 mm or so. I haven’t measured the ORB yet. BoM forecasts a top of 28°C and a slight chance of rain throughout the day.

Agenda: walk with The Patient for a couple of kilometres or so. Possibly go do some shopping. Renew the equipment hire for The Patient. Do more of Mum’s stuff.

Meals? Unknown at this stage.

She’s doing a decent amount of walking by the sound of it.

She’ll be marching up and down the square before we know it, hey what but.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 09:23:04
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994564
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

‘ere ‘avago at this then?
which music is human and which is AI quiz

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 09:39:40
From: ms spock
ID: 1994567
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Ní fhaca mé le fada thú (sg) (Long time no see! LOL JK)

Maidin mhaith (Good morning!)

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 09:43:13
From: Michael V
ID: 1994569
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

Sounds as if she is recobering well. :) meals? I think I know what I’ll be eating tonight.

Oyster mushrooms. Nice.


Are you growing them?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 09:43:37
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994570
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Gōdne morgen* ms spock.

*Old English

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 09:45:45
From: ms spock
ID: 1994571
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Gōdne morgen* ms spock.

*Old English

Loving the Old English Mr Car!

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 09:46:39
From: ms spock
ID: 1994572
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I am hoping that The Patient continues to improve and do sends lots of Covid free hugs and kisses to Mrs V.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 09:56:10
From: ms spock
ID: 1994573
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I started off the day with a 7am Standard Irish: Gaeilge class!

A great way to start the day. We reviewed Chapters 2 and 17 in Progress and I had done the homework but was still half asleep so couldn’t find it, but I translated on the fly and got it right anyway!

I have a long way to go for vocab and prounciation but so does everyone else so it’s a bit of fun! Bhí sé chomh spreagúil! (It was so exciting)

Some lively characters from around the world makes for a great learning environment!

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 10:02:47
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994574
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


I started off the day with a 7am Standard Irish: Gaeilge class!

A great way to start the day. We reviewed Chapters 2 and 17 in Progress and I had done the homework but was still half asleep so couldn’t find it, but I translated on the fly and got it right anyway!

I have a long way to go for vocab and prounciation but so does everyone else so it’s a bit of fun! Bhí sé chomh spreagúil! (It was so exciting)

Some lively characters from around the world makes for a great learning environment!

Good to have stimulating interests.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 10:03:28
From: ms spock
ID: 1994575
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


I started off the day with a 7am Standard Irish: Gaeilge class!

A great way to start the day. We reviewed Chapters 2 and 17 in Progress and I had done the homework but was still half asleep so couldn’t find it, but I translated on the fly and got it right anyway!

I have a long way to go for vocab and prounciation but so does everyone else so it’s a bit of fun! Bhí sé chomh spreagúil! (It was so exciting)

Some lively characters from around the world makes for a great learning environment!

menu you correction: pronunciation

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 10:09:15
From: ms spock
ID: 1994577
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


ms spock said:

I started off the day with a 7am Standard Irish: Gaeilge class!

A great way to start the day. We reviewed Chapters 2 and 17 in Progress and I had done the homework but was still half asleep so couldn’t find it, but I translated on the fly and got it right anyway!

I have a long way to go for vocab and prounciation but so does everyone else so it’s a bit of fun! Bhí sé chomh spreagúil! (It was so exciting)

Some lively characters from around the world makes for a great learning environment!

Good to have stimulating interests.

It is SO good to have stimulating interests Mr Car! I felt so happy to be learning with a wide variety of characters from around the world! Some of them are most eccentric and witty indeed. Just like the Holiday Day Forum but in Irish! I only understand part of what people are saying just like being in the Holiday Forum with so many knowledgeable people from so many different disciplines! :)))

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 10:12:50
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1994578
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


‘ere ‘avago at this then?
which music is human and which is AI quiz

7 correct out of 10

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 10:22:53
From: Tamb
ID: 1994579
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Gōdne morgen* ms spock.

*Old English


доброе утро (Russian)

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 10:25:31
From: Tamb
ID: 1994580
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Bubblecar said:

Gōdne morgen* ms spock.

*Old English


доброе утро (Russian)

Oops forgot the translation: Good morning. dobroye utro

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 10:37:38
From: Arts
ID: 1994581
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

My contract started on the 31st January and I have been working from home.. today I had to come into the office and nothing has changed since I left it in early December last year…

I expected the fairies to come clean it or do the last of the exam marking or something… but no… what sort of two bit organisation am I working for!?

(at least I had the sense to make sure my coffee mug was cleaned and my water bottle emptied… )

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 10:46:33
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994582
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


My contract started on the 31st January and I have been working from home.. today I had to come into the office and nothing has changed since I left it in early December last year…

I expected the fairies to come clean it or do the last of the exam marking or something… but no… what sort of two bit organisation am I working for!?

(at least I had the sense to make sure my coffee mug was cleaned and my water bottle emptied… )

perhaps the cleaners know what you do and there is no way they are going into your office. alone. in the evening.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 10:51:11
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1994584
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Tamb said:

Bubblecar said:

Gōdne morgen* ms spock.

*Old English


доброе утро (Russian)

Oops forgot the translation: Good morning. dobroye utro

גוט מארגן (Yiddish)
‘gut margn’ = Good morning.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 10:53:40
From: Tamb
ID: 1994586
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


Tamb said:

Tamb said:

доброе утро (Russian)

Oops forgot the translation: Good morning. dobroye utro

גוט מארגן (Yiddish)
‘gut margn’ = Good morning.


I speak a bit of Russian & one of the nurses does also so we practice on each other.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 10:55:05
From: sibeen
ID: 1994587
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


My contract started on the 31st January and I have been working from home.. today I had to come into the office and nothing has changed since I left it in early December last year…

I expected the fairies to come clean it or do the last of the exam marking or something… but no… what sort of two bit organisation am I working for!?

(at least I had the sense to make sure my coffee mug was cleaned and my water bottle emptied… )

If you don’t know what sort of two bit organisation you’re working for how the hell do you expect anyone here to know.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 10:56:00
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994588
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Offending girls : Sex, youth and justice

Carrington, Kerry (1993) Offending girls : Sex, youth and justice. Allen and Unwin, St Leonards, N.S.W.
Description

State wards comprise about a fifth of all girls processed by the Children’s Courts. Most girls recruited into the official delinquent population come from large materially impoverished families living in housing commission estates or Aboriginal communities. Many of them are before the courts for non-criminal behaviour (such as running away from home or being abused by their guardians) for which adults cannot be punished. Almost half their siblings have also been processed by the courts as delinquent youth. Those who are most severely punished by the courts are not girls apprehended for criminal offences, but those considered predelinquent’ andin need of care’. There is a steady flow of young bodies between state institutions set up to care for the abused child and juvenile detention centres set up to correct the abusive child. What I am describing here is a highly selective delinquency manufacturing process that is the product of a complex web of modern governmental technologies primarily designed to save children from bad’ families. This book is a study of these particular governmental technologies. Its central objective is to explore how female delinquency is manufactured by the juvenile justice system itself. Whilst this text is a criminological study of sorts it does not seek to answer aetiological questions nor to offer any correctionalsolutions’ aimed at `offending girls’. Nor does the book aim to represent the views of such girls, important though this might be. Rather it is a study of the administration of juvenile justice, its nexus with the provision of child welfare, the forms of knowledge and power that produce this delinquency manufacturing process and its highly selective penetration into the social body, making girls from Aboriginal communities and housing commission estates the most likely candidates for entry into the official delinquent population.
‘’

https://eprints.qut.edu.au/98028/

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 10:57:51
From: ms spock
ID: 1994589
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Bubblecar said:

Gōdne morgen* ms spock.

*Old English


доброе утро (Russian)

доброе утро Tamb! Приятно тебя видеть!

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 10:58:24
From: ms spock
ID: 1994591
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Tamb said:

Bubblecar said:

Gōdne morgen* ms spock.

*Old English


доброе утро (Russian)

Oops forgot the translation: Good morning. dobroye utro

Приятно тебя видеть! It is good to see you!

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 10:59:31
From: ms spock
ID: 1994592
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


My contract started on the 31st January and I have been working from home.. today I had to come into the office and nothing has changed since I left it in early December last year…

I expected the fairies to come clean it or do the last of the exam marking or something… but no… what sort of two bit organisation am I working for!?

(at least I had the sense to make sure my coffee mug was cleaned and my water bottle emptied… )

Shakes fist at sióga! (fairies)

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:01:12
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994593
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

Bubblecar said:

Gōdne morgen* ms spock.

*Old English


доброе утро (Russian)

доброе утро Tamb! Приятно тебя видеть!

No Russian before lunch, please.

My brain is not up to it before then.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:01:40
From: Cymek
ID: 1994594
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Greetings

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:02:02
From: Arts
ID: 1994595
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Arts said:

My contract started on the 31st January and I have been working from home.. today I had to come into the office and nothing has changed since I left it in early December last year…

I expected the fairies to come clean it or do the last of the exam marking or something… but no… what sort of two bit organisation am I working for!?

(at least I had the sense to make sure my coffee mug was cleaned and my water bottle emptied… )

perhaps the cleaners know what you do and there is no way they are going into your office. alone. in the evening.

they are subscribers most likely

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:02:19
From: Tamb
ID: 1994596
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

Bubblecar said:

Gōdne morgen* ms spock.

*Old English


доброе утро (Russian)

доброе утро Tamb! Приятно тебя видеть!


также (tazke) Likewise.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:02:26
From: ms spock
ID: 1994597
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


Tamb said:

Tamb said:

доброе утро (Russian)

Oops forgot the translation: Good morning. dobroye utro

גוט מארגן (Yiddish)
‘gut margn’ = Good morning.

ליב צו זען איר! Nice to see you AussieDJ!
lib tsu zen ir!

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:03:04
From: ms spock
ID: 1994598
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


AussieDJ said:

Tamb said:

Oops forgot the translation: Good morning. dobroye utro

גוט מארגן (Yiddish)
‘gut margn’ = Good morning.


I speak a bit of Russian & one of the nurses does also so we practice on each other.

It is so good to have an in language study buddy! I have one of those too!

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:03:54
From: Arts
ID: 1994599
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:

Offending girls : Sex, youth and justice

Carrington, Kerry (1993) Offending girls : Sex, youth and justice. Allen and Unwin, St Leonards, N.S.W.
Description

State wards comprise about a fifth of all girls processed by the Children’s Courts. Most girls recruited into the official delinquent population come from large materially impoverished families living in housing commission estates or Aboriginal communities. Many of them are before the courts for non-criminal behaviour (such as running away from home or being abused by their guardians) for which adults cannot be punished. Almost half their siblings have also been processed by the courts as delinquent youth. Those who are most severely punished by the courts are not girls apprehended for criminal offences, but those considered predelinquent’ andin need of care’. There is a steady flow of young bodies between state institutions set up to care for the abused child and juvenile detention centres set up to correct the abusive child. What I am describing here is a highly selective delinquency manufacturing process that is the product of a complex web of modern governmental technologies primarily designed to save children from bad’ families. This book is a study of these particular governmental technologies. Its central objective is to explore how female delinquency is manufactured by the juvenile justice system itself. Whilst this text is a criminological study of sorts it does not seek to answer aetiological questions nor to offer any correctionalsolutions’ aimed at `offending girls’. Nor does the book aim to represent the views of such girls, important though this might be. Rather it is a study of the administration of juvenile justice, its nexus with the provision of child welfare, the forms of knowledge and power that produce this delinquency manufacturing process and its highly selective penetration into the social body, making girls from Aboriginal communities and housing commission estates the most likely candidates for entry into the official delinquent population.
‘’

https://eprints.qut.edu.au/98028/

from 1993, but the worst part is that not much has changed.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:04:04
From: Tamb
ID: 1994600
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

Tamb said:

доброе утро (Russian)

Oops forgot the translation: Good morning. dobroye utro

Приятно тебя видеть! It is good to see you!


I’m hopeless with most Cyrillic characters.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:05:41
From: ms spock
ID: 1994601
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:

Offending girls : Sex, youth and justice

Carrington, Kerry (1993) Offending girls : Sex, youth and justice. Allen and Unwin, St Leonards, N.S.W.
Description

State wards comprise about a fifth of all girls processed by the Children’s Courts. Most girls recruited into the official delinquent population come from large materially impoverished families living in housing commission estates or Aboriginal communities. Many of them are before the courts for non-criminal behaviour (such as running away from home or being abused by their guardians) for which adults cannot be punished. Almost half their siblings have also been processed by the courts as delinquent youth. Those who are most severely punished by the courts are not girls apprehended for criminal offences, but those considered predelinquent’ andin need of care’. There is a steady flow of young bodies between state institutions set up to care for the abused child and juvenile detention centres set up to correct the abusive child. What I am describing here is a highly selective delinquency manufacturing process that is the product of a complex web of modern governmental technologies primarily designed to save children from bad’ families. This book is a study of these particular governmental technologies. Its central objective is to explore how female delinquency is manufactured by the juvenile justice system itself. Whilst this text is a criminological study of sorts it does not seek to answer aetiological questions nor to offer any correctionalsolutions’ aimed at `offending girls’. Nor does the book aim to represent the views of such girls, important though this might be. Rather it is a study of the administration of juvenile justice, its nexus with the provision of child welfare, the forms of knowledge and power that produce this delinquency manufacturing process and its highly selective penetration into the social body, making girls from Aboriginal communities and housing commission estates the most likely candidates for entry into the official delinquent population.
‘’

https://eprints.qut.edu.au/98028/

What I am describing here is a highly selective delinquency manufacturing process that is the product of a complex web of modern governmental technologies primarily designed to save children from bad’ families.

Fascinating sarahsmum

Wuh danik worthy subject!
A most worthy subject!

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:05:47
From: Tamb
ID: 1994602
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Greetings

G’day. (This is not Russian)

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:12:58
From: ms spock
ID: 1994603
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

доброе утро (Russian)

доброе утро Tamb! Приятно тебя видеть!

No Russian before lunch, please.

My brain is not up to it before then.

Absolutely Captain Spalding.

My bad I didn’t put in the translation as well!

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:13:43
From: ms spock
ID: 1994604
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Greetings

Cymek!

Croí folláin agus gob fliuch!
(A healthy heart and a wet mouth)

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:13:57
From: ms spock
ID: 1994605
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

доброе утро (Russian)

доброе утро Tamb! Приятно тебя видеть!


также (tazke) Likewise.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:16:47
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994606
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Greetings

Good morning stout yeoman.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:18:50
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994607
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sarahs mum said:
Offending girls : Sex, youth and justice

Carrington, Kerry (1993) Offending girls : Sex, youth and justice. Allen and Unwin, St Leonards, N.S.W.
Description

State wards comprise about a fifth of all girls processed by the Children’s Courts. Most girls recruited into the official delinquent population come from large materially impoverished families living in housing commission estates or Aboriginal communities. Many of them are before the courts for non-criminal behaviour (such as running away from home or being abused by their guardians) for which adults cannot be punished. Almost half their siblings have also been processed by the courts as delinquent youth. Those who are most severely punished by the courts are not girls apprehended for criminal offences, but those considered predelinquent’ andin need of care’. There is a steady flow of young bodies between state institutions set up to care for the abused child and juvenile detention centres set up to correct the abusive child. What I am describing here is a highly selective delinquency manufacturing process that is the product of a complex web of modern governmental technologies primarily designed to save children from bad’ families. This book is a study of these particular governmental technologies. Its central objective is to explore how female delinquency is manufactured by the juvenile justice system itself. Whilst this text is a criminological study of sorts it does not seek to answer aetiological questions nor to offer any correctionalsolutions’ aimed at `offending girls’. Nor does the book aim to represent the views of such girls, important though this might be. Rather it is a study of the administration of juvenile justice, its nexus with the provision of child welfare, the forms of knowledge and power that produce this delinquency manufacturing process and its highly selective penetration into the social body, making girls from Aboriginal communities and housing commission estates the most likely candidates for entry into the official delinquent population.
‘’

https://eprints.qut.edu.au/98028/

from 1993, but the worst part is that not much has changed.

the numbers seem to suggest it is worse. saddened to read that abstract because it suggests it all has purpose. damn.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:19:39
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994608
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

Oops forgot the translation: Good morning. dobroye utro

Приятно тебя видеть! It is good to see you!


I’m hopeless with most Cyrillic characters.

That’s OK.

No-one should take seriously an alphabet cooked up by two blokes called Cyril and Methodius.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:19:54
From: ms spock
ID: 1994609
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sarahs mum said:
Offending girls : Sex, youth and justice

Carrington, Kerry (1993) Offending girls : Sex, youth and justice. Allen and Unwin, St Leonards, N.S.W.
Description

State wards comprise about a fifth of all girls processed by the Children’s Courts. Most girls recruited into the official delinquent population come from large materially impoverished families living in housing commission estates or Aboriginal communities. Many of them are before the courts for non-criminal behaviour (such as running away from home or being abused by their guardians) for which adults cannot be punished. Almost half their siblings have also been processed by the courts as delinquent youth. Those who are most severely punished by the courts are not girls apprehended for criminal offences, but those considered predelinquent’ andin need of care’. There is a steady flow of young bodies between state institutions set up to care for the abused child and juvenile detention centres set up to correct the abusive child. What I am describing here is a highly selective delinquency manufacturing process that is the product of a complex web of modern governmental technologies primarily designed to save children from bad’ families. This book is a study of these particular governmental technologies. Its central objective is to explore how female delinquency is manufactured by the juvenile justice system itself. Whilst this text is a criminological study of sorts it does not seek to answer aetiological questions nor to offer any correctionalsolutions’ aimed at `offending girls’. Nor does the book aim to represent the views of such girls, important though this might be. Rather it is a study of the administration of juvenile justice, its nexus with the provision of child welfare, the forms of knowledge and power that produce this delinquency manufacturing process and its highly selective penetration into the social body, making girls from Aboriginal communities and housing commission estates the most likely candidates for entry into the official delinquent population.
‘’

https://eprints.qut.edu.au/98028/

from 1993, but the worst part is that not much has changed.

That is so tragically true!

It’s worse.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:20:56
From: ms spock
ID: 1994610
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

Oops forgot the translation: Good morning. dobroye utro

Приятно тебя видеть! It is good to see you!


I’m hopeless with most Cyrillic characters.

Absolutely me too! So I definitely need the translation right next to the Cyrillic characters!

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:21:12
From: ms spock
ID: 1994611
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Cymek said:

Greetings

G’day. (This is not Russian)

LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:24:01
From: ms spock
ID: 1994613
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Cymek said:

Greetings

Good morning stout yeoman.

I had no idea!

Link name

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:30:03
From: Tamb
ID: 1994615
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

Cymek said:

Greetings

G’day. (This is not Russian)

LOL


Would have been funnier if I’d written (This is not Russian) in Russian.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:31:37
From: ms spock
ID: 1994618
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

G’day. (This is not Russian)

LOL


Would have been funnier if I’d written (This is not Russian) in Russian.

:)

Bilingual joking does take extra time to perfect! LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:36:04
From: Tamb
ID: 1994621
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

LOL


Would have been funnier if I’d written (This is not Russian) in Russian.

:)

Bilingual joking does take extra time to perfect! LOL


Especially with non English language characters.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:39:47
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994625
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning all.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:41:32
From: ms spock
ID: 1994626
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

Would have been funnier if I’d written (This is not Russian) in Russian.

:)

Bilingual joking does take extra time to perfect! LOL


Especially with non English language characters.

Yes! :)

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:43:02
From: Tamb
ID: 1994628
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Morning all.


OK everyone. Reply in the language of your choice. I’ll start. Selamat pagi. (Indonesian)

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:43:50
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994629
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Sketches Hint Leonardo da Vinci Grasped Gravity a Century Ahead of Newton

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:44:14
From: Tamb
ID: 1994631
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

:)

Bilingual joking does take extra time to perfect! LOL


Especially with non English language characters.

Yes! :)


The hardest one for me is Arabic style cursive.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:54:11
From: ms spock
ID: 1994637
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Morning all.

Maiden mhaith! Good morning!

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:55:47
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994638
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Morning all.


OK everyone. Reply in the language of your choice. I’ll start. Selamat pagi. (Indonesian)

Guten Morgen Tau, aber bald ist Nachmittag.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:56:12
From: ms spock
ID: 1994639
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Morning all.


OK everyone. Reply in the language of your choice. I’ll start. Selamat pagi. (Indonesian)

Selamat pagi sayang!

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 11:57:11
From: ms spock
ID: 1994640
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

Especially with non English language characters.

Yes! :)


The hardest one for me is Arabic style cursive.

I started to learn that in Duolingo before I started to focus on Irish first! It was so hard but they have a section where you get to practice the writing!

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 12:04:29
From: ms spock
ID: 1994646
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Tamb said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Morning all.


OK everyone. Reply in the language of your choice. I’ll start. Selamat pagi. (Indonesian)

Guten Morgen Tau, aber bald ist Nachmittag.

Ich hoffe, dass Ihr Nachmittag angenehm ist!

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 12:07:39
From: ms spock
ID: 1994649
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

selamat tinggal

Auf Wiedersehen

Slan!

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 12:25:34
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994654
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

LOL


Would have been funnier if I’d written (This is not Russian) in Russian.

:)

Bilingual joking does take extra time to perfect! LOL

then it can be magnificent, even if it’s not the railway station.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 12:44:08
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994664
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Acoustic holograms quickly assemble objects from particles or cells

Scientists have created “acoustic holograms” that can assemble matter into 3D objects, using just sound. The technique works with various types of particles and even living cells, allowing for a new kind of 3D printing that’s fast and contact-free.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 12:47:04
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994665
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Size of proton measured for first time using neutrino beams

The proton radius has been measured to be 0.73 femtometres.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 12:47:44
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994666
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Size of proton measured for first time using neutrino beams

The proton radius has been measured to be 0.73 femtometres.

more…

What’s that in school buses, for our American readers?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 12:48:09
From: transition
ID: 1994667
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

coffee landed, few sneaky delta creams with, three actually

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 12:50:34
From: buffy
ID: 1994669
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Lunch report: a couple of slices of buttered white bread. And a blood plum. Because I went to the bakery around 10.30 and et a vanilla slice (large, I don’t think Cam knows how to make small or even medium ones) and drank an iced mocha. I had worked up to that with some weeding and digging though.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 12:56:06
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994673
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Lunch report: a couple of slices of buttered white bread. And a blood plum. Because I went to the bakery around 10.30 and et a vanilla slice (large, I don’t think Cam knows how to make small or even medium ones) and drank an iced mocha. I had worked up to that with some weeding and digging though.

I had thawed & heated celery soup from the freezer.

And I’ve just ironed two shirts. Chores remaining:

a) Clean some fridge shelves and interior of microwave.
b) Clean lavatory.
c) Clean bathroom sink unit.
d) Put out bins.
e) Do Coles order (but I can leave that for this evening).

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 12:56:46
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994674
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Acoustic holograms quickly assemble objects from particles or cells

Scientists have created “acoustic holograms” that can assemble matter into 3D objects, using just sound. The technique works with various types of particles and even living cells, allowing for a new kind of 3D printing that’s fast and contact-free.

more…

Probably worth a fred.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 12:58:59
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994676
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Size of proton measured for first time using neutrino beams

The proton radius has been measured to be 0.73 femtometres.

more…

What’s that in school buses, for our American readers?

a femtometre is a quadrillionth of one metre.

an average size American bus is 13.7 m (45 feet)

1.87671233 × 1016

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:00:31
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994677
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


coffee landed, few sneaky delta creams with, three actually

Have two more.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:01:53
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994679
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


captain_spalding said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Size of proton measured for first time using neutrino beams

The proton radius has been measured to be 0.73 femtometres.

more…

What’s that in school buses, for our American readers?

a femtometre is a quadrillionth of one metre.

an average size American bus is 13.7 m (45 feet)

1.87671233 × 1016

Don’t try to dazzle uswith your mathematics and your decimals, Poindexter, just tell it in 64ths of an inch.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:06:52
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994680
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


buffy said:

Lunch report: a couple of slices of buttered white bread. And a blood plum. Because I went to the bakery around 10.30 and et a vanilla slice (large, I don’t think Cam knows how to make small or even medium ones) and drank an iced mocha. I had worked up to that with some weeding and digging though.

I had thawed & heated celery soup from the freezer.

And I’ve just ironed two shirts. Chores remaining:

a) Clean some fridge shelves and interior of microwave.
b) Clean lavatory.
c) Clean bathroom sink unit.
d) Put out bins.
e) Do Coles order (but I can leave that for this evening).

Progressives don’t iron shirts anymore or wear singlets under their shirts anymore.
It’s a brave new world where yore average punter doesn’t even have to wear a tie at mass on sundays.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:15:26
From: Woodie
ID: 1994681
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


transition said:

coffee landed, few sneaky delta creams with, three actually

Have two more.


Ahhhh yes. Arnott’s Delta Goodrems. Nom noms.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:15:44
From: Michael V
ID: 1994682
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Size of proton measured for first time using neutrino beams

The proton radius has been measured to be 0.73 femtometres.

more…

What’s that in school buses, for our American readers?

We don’t need school buses.

0.73 femtometres = half a proton across.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:16:32
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994683
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

buffy said:

Lunch report: a couple of slices of buttered white bread. And a blood plum. Because I went to the bakery around 10.30 and et a vanilla slice (large, I don’t think Cam knows how to make small or even medium ones) and drank an iced mocha. I had worked up to that with some weeding and digging though.

I had thawed & heated celery soup from the freezer.

And I’ve just ironed two shirts. Chores remaining:

a) Clean some fridge shelves and interior of microwave.
b) Clean lavatory.
c) Clean bathroom sink unit.
d) Put out bins.
e) Do Coles order (but I can leave that for this evening).

Progressives don’t iron shirts anymore or wear singlets under their shirts anymore.
It’s a brave new world where yore average punter doesn’t even have to wear a tie at mass on sundays.

I bought some Howden Bakery white yesterday. A very 60s soft white loaf. A bit reminiscent of old fashioned dinner rolls. I had some mild salami, dill pickle, tomato and plentiful pepper sandwiches. Lovely they were.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:19:14
From: Woodie
ID: 1994684
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


captain_spalding said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Size of proton measured for first time using neutrino beams

The proton radius has been measured to be 0.73 femtometres.

more…

What’s that in school buses, for our American readers?

We don’t need school buses.

0.73 femtometres = half a proton across.

Millipoofteenths then. How many millipoofteenths is it? Or can it be measured in bees dicks?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:20:15
From: buffy
ID: 1994685
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m going to have a bit of a lie down and read and nap before I take Auntie Annie to Hamilton. Got to pick her up at 2.45 for her 3.30 appointment. It’s about a half hour drive, but I want a bit of leeway.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:27:49
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994691
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I’m going to have a bit of a lie down and read and nap before I take Auntie Annie to Hamilton. Got to pick her up at 2.45 for her 3.30 appointment. It’s about a half hour drive, but I want a bit of leeway.

I don’t get napping, I’m either fully awake or comma toes.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:29:06
From: dv
ID: 1994692
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I think “binged” will never take off the way “googled” did because people will always firstthink it is the past tense of binge.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:29:33
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994693
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Idle gossip.

Matt #1 says to me that he got ‘Janina’ed’.

Oo. Tell me.

She wanted a hand getting a chair out of the back of her Suburu and when I got there I found a big black electric thing stuck in the back that didn’t want to move. I was struggling with it and she tells me that I should be fitter and that I would be fitter if I had a job. Get a job.

After I had got it in the house she wanted me to stay for coffee but the house smelled of cabbage and I felt nauseous and I couldn’t get out of there fast enough.

Ah. Said I. The cabbage rolls. She told me she paid $10 for a cabbage.

—-
So there you go. Matt helps Janina and she works on his depression and anxiety. Mentions that Matt also had a triple by pass last year.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:29:36
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994694
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Bubblecar said:

I had thawed & heated celery soup from the freezer.

And I’ve just ironed two shirts. Chores remaining:

a) Clean some fridge shelves and interior of microwave.
b) Clean lavatory.
c) Clean bathroom sink unit.
d) Put out bins.
e) Do Coles order (but I can leave that for this evening).

Progressives don’t iron shirts anymore or wear singlets under their shirts anymore.
It’s a brave new world where yore average punter doesn’t even have to wear a tie at mass on sundays.

I bought some Howden Bakery white yesterday. A very 60s soft white loaf. A bit reminiscent of old fashioned dinner rolls. I had some mild salami, dill pickle, tomato and plentiful pepper sandwiches. Lovely they were.

Sounds tasty indeed.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:30:54
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994695
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:

I think “binged” will never take off the way “googled” did because people will always firstthink it is the past tense of binge.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:31:57
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994697
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Idle gossip.

Matt #1 says to me that he got ‘Janina’ed’.

Oo. Tell me.

She wanted a hand getting a chair out of the back of her Suburu and when I got there I found a big black electric thing stuck in the back that didn’t want to move. I was struggling with it and she tells me that I should be fitter and that I would be fitter if I had a job. Get a job.

After I had got it in the house she wanted me to stay for coffee but the house smelled of cabbage and I felt nauseous and I couldn’t get out of there fast enough.

Ah. Said I. The cabbage rolls. She told me she paid $10 for a cabbage.

—-
So there you go. Matt helps Janina and she works on his depression and anxiety. Mentions that Matt also had a triple by pass last year.

No-one could accuse her of being overly tactful.

And where is she finding these $10 cabbages?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:33:26
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994699
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I think “binged” will never take off the way “googled” did because people will always firstthink it is the past tense of binge.

Is firstthink a noun?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:37:40
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994702
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

Oyster mushrooms. Nice.


Are you growing them?

The answer is Yes.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:38:10
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994703
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Bubblecar said:

Gōdne morgen* ms spock.

*Old English

Loving the Old English Mr Car!


It is actually Germanic.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:39:03
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994705
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


roughbarked said:

‘ere ‘avago at this then?
which music is human and which is AI quiz

7 correct out of 10

ver good.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:39:41
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994706
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:

ms spock said:

Bubblecar said:

Gōdne morgen* ms spock.

*Old English

Loving the Old English Mr Car!

It is actually Germanic.

irish dentist

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:42:05
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994707
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

Bubblecar said:

Gōdne morgen* ms spock.

*Old English

Loving the Old English Mr Car!


It is actually Germanic.

Old English evolved from various Germanic dialects, yes. But it’s nonetheless Old English.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:42:36
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994708
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:

‘ere ‘avago

До́ктор Жива́го

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:45:23
From: dv
ID: 1994709
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Conchae are composed of pseudostratified columnar, ciliated respiratory epithelium with a thick, vascular, and erectile glandular tissue layer. The conchae are located laterally in the nasal cavities, curling medially and downward into the nasal airway. Each pair is composed of one concha in either side of the nasal cavity, divided by the septum.

The superior conchae are smaller structures, connected to the middle conchae by nerve-endings, and serve to protect the olfactory bulb. The openings to the posterior ethmoidal sinuses exist under the superior meatus.

The middle conchae are smaller. In humans, they are usually as long as the little finger. They project downwards over the openings of the maxillary and anterior and middle ethmoid sinuses, and act as buffers to protect the sinuses from coming in direct contact with pressurized nasal airflow. Most inhaled airflow travels between the inferior concha and the middle meatus.

The inferior conchae are the largest, and can be as long as the index finger in humans, and are responsible for the majority of airflow direction, humidification, heating, and filtering of air inhaled through the nose.

The inferior conchae are graded 1–4 based on the inferior concha classification system (known as the inferior turbinate classification system) in which the total amount of the airway space that the inferior concha takes up is estimated. Grade 1 is 0–25% of the airway, grade 2 is 26–50% of the airway, grade 3 is 51–75% of the airway and grade 4 is 76–100% of the airway.

There is sometimes a pair of supreme conchae superior to the superior conchae. When present, these usually take the form of a small crest.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_concha

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 13:56:01
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994710
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Cymek said:

Greetings

G’day. (This is not Russian)

A bit late but:

günaydın

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 14:06:25
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994711
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

This cabbage weighed nearly 32kgs.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 14:08:30
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994713
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


This cabbage weighed nearly 32kgs.


$10.00

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 14:11:39
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994716
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

This cabbage weighed nearly 32kgs.


$10.00

There’s half a savoy in my Coles order. I hope they don’t choose the biggest half a cabbage on the planet.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 14:11:52
From: Woodie
ID: 1994717
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


This cabbage weighed nearly 32kgs.


For 10 dorrah?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 14:14:36
From: Arts
ID: 1994719
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I think “binged” will never take off the way “googled” did because people will always firstthink it is the past tense of binge.

apparently the word google was first used was a verb in an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 14:15:31
From: Michael V
ID: 1994720
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


This cabbage weighed nearly 32kgs.


Make a lot of kimchi from that.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 14:16:16
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994721
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I think “binged” will never take off the way “googled” did because people will always firstthink it is the past tense of binge.

But that’s part of the charm of the word.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 14:16:56
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994722
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


This cabbage weighed nearly 32kgs.


it would make very big cabbage rolls.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 14:21:26
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994723
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


dv said:

I think “binged” will never take off the way “googled” did because people will always firstthink it is the past tense of binge.

But that’s part of the charm of the word.

If I google “binged alternative to googled” I just get a whole load of comparisons of Bing and Google, together with some streaming service called Binge, and if I binge it the results are even worse.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 14:26:22
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994724
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

I think “binged” will never take off the way “googled” did because people will always firstthink it is the past tense of binge.

But that’s part of the charm of the word.

If I google “binged alternative to googled” I just get a whole load of comparisons of Bing and Google, together with some streaming service called Binge, and if I binge it the results are even worse.

Whoever came up with the title Bing should be taken out and belted once a day and twice on Sunday.
And they were so close, it should have had of been Bingo.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 14:30:45
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994725
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 14:35:53
From: dv
ID: 1994728
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


dv said:

I think “binged” will never take off the way “googled” did because people will always firstthink it is the past tense of binge.

apparently the word google was first used was a verb in an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

That’s not quite correct as there are some earlier published that was the first use on television.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 14:37:48
From: dv
ID: 1994729
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

But that’s part of the charm of the word.

If I google “binged alternative to googled” I just get a whole load of comparisons of Bing and Google, together with some streaming service called Binge, and if I binge it the results are even worse.

Whoever came up with the title Bing should be taken out and belted once a day and twice on Sunday.
And they were so close, it should have had of been Bingo.

He’s right you know.

I’d have called it glonk.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 14:59:09
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994732
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Have to take a couple items out to the garage later.

While I’m there I think I’ll retrieve my Dalek which I haven’t seen for years. And a box of model railway stuff.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 15:07:09
From: Woodie
ID: 1994734
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Have to take a couple items out to the garage later.

While I’m there I think I’ll retrieve my Dalek which I haven’t seen for years. And a box of model railway stuff.

TOOT!

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 15:10:07
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1994735
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

This cabbage weighed nearly 32kgs.


it would make very big cabbage rolls.

TIL what a cabbage roll is.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 15:11:59
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994737
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

This cabbage weighed nearly 32kgs.


it would make very big cabbage rolls.

TIL what a cabbage roll is.

i make good cabbage rolls.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 15:14:42
From: Arts
ID: 1994739
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

This cabbage weighed nearly 32kgs.


it would make very big cabbage rolls.

TIL what a cabbage roll is.

my mum used to make them all the time when we were kids.. dad was a huge fan of them… we ate them because my parents were of the ‘get what you get’ ‘don’t waste food’ generation where you had to eat ALL of the meal that was put in front of you.. for some reason, despite my adult protests, my mum thinks that I also love them.. and while I don’t mind the very occasional fresh one… she makes them and freezes them and hands them to us almost every visit…
“mum stop”
“But you LOVE cabbage rolls” she always says…

luckily after I remove the cabbage the dog enjoys the meat portion…

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 15:20:47
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1994741
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Harry fans hit with ‘NO CAMPING’ ban ahead of Perth concert

Harry Styles: Perth fans banned from camping before sold-out HBF Park concert

Peta Rasdien

February 15, 2023 11:26AM

Hard-core Harry Styles fans have been warned not to camp out to secure prime spots at his sold-out Perth concert on Monday — and if they do they risk missing out.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/entertainment/music/harry-styles-perth-fans-banned-from-camping-before-sold-out-hbf-park-concert—c-9760646

…

Does this mean that Harry Styles will stop wearing dresses and kissing boys?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 15:23:31
From: Michael V
ID: 1994743
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

sarahs mum said:

it would make very big cabbage rolls.

TIL what a cabbage roll is.

i make good cabbage rolls.

I’ve never had a cabbage roll.

What makes yours good?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 15:27:17
From: transition
ID: 1994745
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I’m going to have a bit of a lie down and read and nap before I take Auntie Annie to Hamilton. Got to pick her up at 2.45 for her 3.30 appointment. It’s about a half hour drive, but I want a bit of leeway.

I just has me a long blink, dog either end

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 15:28:23
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994746
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

TIL what a cabbage roll is.

i make good cabbage rolls.

I’ve never had a cabbage roll.

What makes yours good?

What makes a good cabbage roll?

There must be a funny answer to that.

But I don’t know what it is.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 15:29:01
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994747
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

TIL what a cabbage roll is.

i make good cabbage rolls.

I’ve never had a cabbage roll.

What makes yours good?

I use pork and veal and dill. and I roast in stock.

I don’t like rice in mine.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 15:29:39
From: transition
ID: 1994748
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


transition said:

coffee landed, few sneaky delta creams with, three actually

Have two more.


lady just discovered I found her chocolate block under her puzzle magazines, while she away doing shopping

I suggested someone else found it, but wasn’t quite convincing enough

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 15:30:20
From: Arts
ID: 1994749
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

i make good cabbage rolls.

I’ve never had a cabbage roll.

What makes yours good?

What makes a good cabbage roll?

There must be a funny answer to that.

But I don’t know what it is.

they have to make sure they tuck in their elbows and head..

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 15:36:20
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994750
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Bubblecar said:

transition said:

coffee landed, few sneaky delta creams with, three actually

Have two more.


lady just discovered I found her chocolate block under her puzzle magazines, while she away doing shopping

I suggested someone else found it, but wasn’t quite convincing enough

Sounds like she’s having a bad day.
Comes home and all her puzzles are done and her chocolate is gone.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 15:40:39
From: Michael V
ID: 1994751
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

i make good cabbage rolls.

I’ve never had a cabbage roll.

What makes yours good?

I use pork and veal and dill. and I roast in stock.

I don’t like rice in mine.

Thanks.

:)

Sounds very yummy.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 15:43:17
From: Michael V
ID: 1994752
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

i make good cabbage rolls.

I’ve never had a cabbage roll.

What makes yours good?

What makes a good cabbage roll?

There must be a funny answer to that.

But I don’t know what it is.

A good underarm bowling action and a steep downhill road.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 15:45:05
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994753
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Have to take a couple items out to the garage later.

While I’m there I think I’ll retrieve my Dalek which I haven’t seen for years. And a box of model railway stuff.

Well the Dalek has been salvaged, after freeing the box from years of cobwebs, but the model railway gear will have to wait for another time.

It’s like an oven in that garage and I forgot how congested it is in there, with everything festooned with floor-to-ceiling webs.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 16:14:43
From: transition
ID: 1994754
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I reads and watched lots news etc

and now this, quite good..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgOEGKDVvsg
Mark Mills: The energy transition delusion: inescapable mineral realities

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 16:16:21
From: dv
ID: 1994755
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I too am unfamiliar with cabbage rolls.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 16:21:26
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1994756
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I too am unfamiliar with cabbage rolls.

They are the favorite food of Cabbage Whites.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 16:21:36
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994757
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I too am unfamiliar with cabbage rolls.

what about sauerbraten?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 16:26:23
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994758
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I too am unfamiliar with cabbage rolls.

they are like spring rolls but wrapped in a cabbage leaf.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 16:27:01
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994759
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I too am unfamiliar with cabbage rolls.

Much eaten in Ukraine, in various different versions. Mum used to do some tasty ones.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 16:29:01
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994760
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Krautwickel

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 16:35:35
From: dv
ID: 1994761
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Speaking of things I’ve never heard of…

Kuljak Island is an artificial island within the city of Ascot created as a wetlands sanctuary.

I should give a walk on the weekend, see what avians it holds

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 16:44:00
From: Michael V
ID: 1994764
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


dv said:

I too am unfamiliar with cabbage rolls.

what about sauerbraten?

I had not heard or read of that until just now.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 16:45:59
From: Michael V
ID: 1994765
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Krautwickel

Nor that.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 16:53:50
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994767
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

People also ask
Are cabbage rolls Polish or Ukrainian?
Image result for krautwickel
Poland. Stuffed cabbage rolls are a popular Polish dish. Pork and beef mixed with rice or barley are nestled in a cabbage leaf and cooked in the oven or on the stove until tender.

What is the history of German cabbage rolls?
Although the direct heritage of cabbage rolls cannot be certain, it’s lineage can be traced back to Jewish cooking some 2,000 years ago. Recipes vary among Jewish communities depending on region; Romanians and northern Poles prefer a savory sauce, while Jews from Galicia and Ukraine favor sweet-and-sour.13 Apr 2021

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 16:54:28
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994768
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Which country invented cabbage rolls?
Romanian cabbage rolls have one of the most interesting and rich histories among all dishes. In fact, this is a multicultural recipe, to which tens of countries from around the world have contributed. Initially, cabbage rolls were created by the Turkish, who claim to be the original cookers of the dish.29 Aug 2021

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 16:54:50
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994769
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


dv said:

I too am unfamiliar with cabbage rolls.

they are like spring rolls but wrapped in a cabbage leaf.

The envelope of spring rolls is the best part.
It’s a type of golden batter with crunchy ends.
PWM’s legal team will vigorously defend any legal action resulting from hospitalization and/or death.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 17:08:13
From: dv
ID: 1994770
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


dv said:

I too am unfamiliar with cabbage rolls.

They are the favorite food of Cabbage Whites.

Is that a slang term for Poles?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 17:25:10
From: Michael V
ID: 1994772
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


PermeateFree said:

dv said:

I too am unfamiliar with cabbage rolls.

They are the favorite food of Cabbage Whites.

Is that a slang term for Poles?

Lepidoptera.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 17:28:00
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994773
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


dv said:

PermeateFree said:

They are the favorite food of Cabbage Whites.

Is that a slang term for Poles?

Lepidoptera.

scaling the poles then

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 17:29:09
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1994775
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 17:30:21
From: Arts
ID: 1994776
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


People also ask
Are cabbage rolls Polish or Ukrainian?
Image result for krautwickel
Poland. Stuffed cabbage rolls are a popular Polish dish. Pork and beef mixed with rice or barley are nestled in a cabbage leaf and cooked in the oven or on the stove until tender.

What is the history of German cabbage rolls?
Although the direct heritage of cabbage rolls cannot be certain, it’s lineage can be traced back to Jewish cooking some 2,000 years ago. Recipes vary among Jewish communities depending on region; Romanians and northern Poles prefer a savory sauce, while Jews from Galicia and Ukraine favor sweet-and-sour.13 Apr 2021

mum made the German variety, since dad was German. .. she learned to cook a lot of German foods to varying degrees of success…

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 17:30:21
From: Arts
ID: 1994777
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


People also ask
Are cabbage rolls Polish or Ukrainian?
Image result for krautwickel
Poland. Stuffed cabbage rolls are a popular Polish dish. Pork and beef mixed with rice or barley are nestled in a cabbage leaf and cooked in the oven or on the stove until tender.

What is the history of German cabbage rolls?
Although the direct heritage of cabbage rolls cannot be certain, it’s lineage can be traced back to Jewish cooking some 2,000 years ago. Recipes vary among Jewish communities depending on region; Romanians and northern Poles prefer a savory sauce, while Jews from Galicia and Ukraine favor sweet-and-sour.13 Apr 2021

mum made the German variety, since dad was German. .. she learned to cook a lot of German foods to varying degrees of success…

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 17:44:14
From: Woodie
ID: 1994782
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


dv said:

PermeateFree said:

They are the favorite food of Cabbage Whites.

Is that a slang term for Poles?

Lepidoptera.

They’re moffs.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 17:47:42
From: transition
ID: 1994784
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

watching..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLehkWESDJ8
The Dark Side of AI: A Warning from Jordan Peterson (scary truth about ChatGPT)

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 17:58:30
From: dv
ID: 1994786
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


dv said:

PermeateFree said:

They are the favorite food of Cabbage Whites.

Is that a slang term for Poles?

Lepidoptera.

Probably this reaction would have been more appropriate

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 18:02:37
From: Michael V
ID: 1994788
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Michael V said:

dv said:

Is that a slang term for Poles?

Lepidoptera.

Probably this reaction would have been more appropriate


I did wonder whether you were having a lend.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 18:03:00
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994789
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


PermeateFree said:

dv said:

I too am unfamiliar with cabbage rolls.

They are the favorite food of Cabbage Whites.

Is that a slang term for Poles?

Gosh.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 18:04:37
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994791
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Michael V said:

dv said:

Is that a slang term for Poles?

Lepidoptera.

They’re moffs.

Butterflies.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 18:05:45
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994792
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Thank goodness it was off-field.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 18:07:08
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994794
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Thank goodness it was off-field.

Would otherwise have been quite a spectacle.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 18:17:01
From: dv
ID: 1994795
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Thank goodness it was off-field.

Would otherwise have been quite a spectacle.

Ask Hopoate

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 18:21:35
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994797
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Thank goodness it was off-field.

Would otherwise have been quite a spectacle.

Ask Hopoate

Heh.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 18:22:39
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994798
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:

roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Thank goodness it was off-field.

Would otherwise have been quite a spectacle.

Ask Hopoate

just need a good PR team is what we heard

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 18:28:00
From: Cymek
ID: 1994801
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

dv said:

roughbarked said:

Would otherwise have been quite a spectacle.

Ask Hopoate

just need a good PR team is what we heard

Not that long ago, it would just be written off as “boys being boys”

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 18:30:36
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994802
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rantoge-clock/rantogean-electromechanical-cam-clock-that-hears-the-time

Link

Interesting concept. Plus it is a kit.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 18:37:11
From: Michael V
ID: 1994803
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Thank goodness it was off-field.

Would otherwise have been quite a spectacle.

Ask Hopoate

Yeah.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 18:48:22
From: Michael V
ID: 1994804
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rantoge-clock/rantogean-electromechanical-cam-clock-that-hears-the-time

Link

Interesting concept. Plus it is a kit.

It’d need a clear dome cover over it here, because of the grit and mould that gets onto everything. That it doesn’t have that cover is a deal-breaker for me.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 18:49:31
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994805
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“Bird flu ‘may mutate to kill more than 50% of humans’
Bird flu could mutate to become even more harmful to humans due to the ongoing unprecedented outbreak, experts fear.
Cases of the killer H5N1 strain, which are at record levels, have already jumped from birds to foxes, otters and mink.
It has sparked huge concern among top virologists that the deadly pathogen is now one step closer to spreading in humans — a hurdle which has so far stopped it from triggering a pandemic.”

Whatever you do don’t let SCIENCE see this.
If you see him wandering around in the chat thread and think he might stumble on this post show him something shiny to lead him away.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 18:53:20
From: Michael V
ID: 1994806
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


“Bird flu ‘may mutate to kill more than 50% of humans’
Bird flu could mutate to become even more harmful to humans due to the ongoing unprecedented outbreak, experts fear.
Cases of the killer H5N1 strain, which are at record levels, have already jumped from birds to foxes, otters and mink.
It has sparked huge concern among top virologists that the deadly pathogen is now one step closer to spreading in humans — a hurdle which has so far stopped it from triggering a pandemic.”

Whatever you do don’t let SCIENCE see this.
If you see him wandering around in the chat thread and think he might stumble on this post show him something shiny to lead him away.

Dump it in the COVID thread, where it may amuse him and transition for days.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 19:12:40
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994807
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


ChrispenEvan said:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rantoge-clock/rantogean-electromechanical-cam-clock-that-hears-the-time

Link

Interesting concept. Plus it is a kit.

It’d need a clear dome cover over it here, because of the grit and mould that gets onto everything. That it doesn’t have that cover is a deal-breaker for me.

Yep. Dirt is the enemy in the clock world.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 19:13:55
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994808
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Peak Warming Man said:

“Bird flu ‘may mutate to kill more than 50% of humans’
Bird flu could mutate to become even more harmful to humans due to the ongoing unprecedented outbreak, experts fear.
Cases of the killer H5N1 strain, which are at record levels, have already jumped from birds to foxes, otters and mink.
It has sparked huge concern among top virologists that the deadly pathogen is now one step closer to spreading in humans — a hurdle which has so far stopped it from triggering a pandemic.”

Whatever you do don’t let SCIENCE see this.
If you see him wandering around in the chat thread and think he might stumble on this post show him something shiny to lead him away.

Dump it in the COVID thread, where it may amuse him and transition for days.

What was the link? Is there more to read?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 19:22:34
From: transition
ID: 1994809
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Michael V said:

Peak Warming Man said:

“Bird flu ‘may mutate to kill more than 50% of humans’
Bird flu could mutate to become even more harmful to humans due to the ongoing unprecedented outbreak, experts fear.
Cases of the killer H5N1 strain, which are at record levels, have already jumped from birds to foxes, otters and mink.
It has sparked huge concern among top virologists that the deadly pathogen is now one step closer to spreading in humans — a hurdle which has so far stopped it from triggering a pandemic.”

Whatever you do don’t let SCIENCE see this.
If you see him wandering around in the chat thread and think he might stumble on this post show him something shiny to lead him away.

Dump it in the COVID thread, where it may amuse him and transition for days.

What was the link? Is there more to read?

easy enough to find, try search, the daily fail maybe, or whatever

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 19:24:22
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994810
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

How an antivaxxer got a cop nabbed.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 19:25:23
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994811
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Michael V said:

Peak Warming Man said:

“Bird flu ‘may mutate to kill more than 50% of humans’
Bird flu could mutate to become even more harmful to humans due to the ongoing unprecedented outbreak, experts fear.
Cases of the killer H5N1 strain, which are at record levels, have already jumped from birds to foxes, otters and mink.
It has sparked huge concern among top virologists that the deadly pathogen is now one step closer to spreading in humans — a hurdle which has so far stopped it from triggering a pandemic.”

Whatever you do don’t let SCIENCE see this.
If you see him wandering around in the chat thread and think he might stumble on this post show him something shiny to lead him away.

Dump it in the COVID thread, where it may amuse him and transition for days.

What was the link? Is there more to read?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/other/bird-flu-may-mutate-to-kill-more-than-50-of-humans/ar-AA17sI02

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 19:31:46
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994812
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/02/14/health/bird-flu-threat/index.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2095018/

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 19:37:21
From: buffy
ID: 1994813
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m back. You lot have been chatty this afternoon. I’ll just see what you have been talking about.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 19:52:38
From: buffy
ID: 1994814
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


sarahs mum said:

People also ask
Are cabbage rolls Polish or Ukrainian?
Image result for krautwickel
Poland. Stuffed cabbage rolls are a popular Polish dish. Pork and beef mixed with rice or barley are nestled in a cabbage leaf and cooked in the oven or on the stove until tender.

What is the history of German cabbage rolls?
Although the direct heritage of cabbage rolls cannot be certain, it’s lineage can be traced back to Jewish cooking some 2,000 years ago. Recipes vary among Jewish communities depending on region; Romanians and northern Poles prefer a savory sauce, while Jews from Galicia and Ukraine favor sweet-and-sour.13 Apr 2021

mum made the German variety, since dad was German. .. she learned to cook a lot of German foods to varying degrees of success…

I thought immediately of dolmades. (I’m not of Greek extraction).

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 20:08:45
From: dv
ID: 1994815
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Michael V said:

ChrispenEvan said:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rantoge-clock/rantogean-electromechanical-cam-clock-that-hears-the-time

Link

Interesting concept. Plus it is a kit.

It’d need a clear dome cover over it here, because of the grit and mould that gets onto everything. That it doesn’t have that cover is a deal-breaker for me.

Yep. Dirt is the enemy in the clock world.

Rantoge—An electromechanical cam clock that hears the time

Okay I watched the video. In what way does it hear the time? What does that even mean?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 20:12:10
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994816
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Honest Government Ad | the Safeguard Mechanism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrkE_VaMD4k

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 20:13:13
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994817
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

It’d need a clear dome cover over it here, because of the grit and mould that gets onto everything. That it doesn’t have that cover is a deal-breaker for me.

Yep. Dirt is the enemy in the clock world.

Rantoge—An electromechanical cam clock that hears the time

Okay I watched the video. In what way does it hear the time? What does that even mean?

I don’t think english is their first language

“During the working of Rantoge, the mechanical sound formed by the gear and cam rotation, and the metal digital board flipping makes the time can be heard and seen.”

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 20:14:21
From: Kingy
ID: 1994818
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

It’d need a clear dome cover over it here, because of the grit and mould that gets onto everything. That it doesn’t have that cover is a deal-breaker for me.

Yep. Dirt is the enemy in the clock world.

Rantoge—An electromechanical cam clock that hears the time

Okay I watched the video. In what way does it hear the time? What does that even mean?

I was thinking about how the snooze function worked.

Once you blearily slam your hand down on it to shut it up and get a few more minutes of sleep, how does it start working again, and how do you get the broken bits out of the palm of your hand?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 20:17:44
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994819
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Mining magnate Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest has defended not signing a native title compensation agreement with Yindjibarndi traditional owners in the Pilbara, saying it could lead to an Alice Springs style “alcohol disaster”.
Key points:

Andrew Forrest has defended his company’s dealings with the Yindjibarndi people In a wide-ranging call, he claimed welfare and mining royalties create “alcohol disasters” Mr Forrest also said climate denying politicians should “f*** off”

The Yindjibarndi people were awarded native title with exclusive possession by the Federal Court in 2017, and then beat an appeal against the decision by Fortescue Metals Group, which was founded by Mr Forrest.

The iron ore miner tried to appeal to the High Court, but it refused to grant leave to FMG to appeal in 2020.

However, negotiations over an Indigenous Land Use agreement fell though last year, and the Yindjibarndi have launched a native title compensation case in the Federal Court to force FMG to pay royalties for mining on their country.
Royalties create ‘alcohol disasters’

Mr Forrest today defended the company’s failure to come to a compensation agreement with the Yindjibarndi, and said welfare payments as well as mining royalties had contributed to “alcohol disasters” in towns like Alice Springs.

more..
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-15/fmg-andrew-forrest-indigneous-yindjibarndi-sacred-sites-mining/101979836

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 20:19:17
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994820
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Janina went on and on today about how ugly this man is. I mean he isn’t a real looker but he seems far from ugly to me.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 20:29:36
From: dv
ID: 1994822
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Janina went on and on today about how ugly this man is. I mean he isn’t a real looker but he seems far from ugly to me.

Seems a bit mean spirited to go after an administrator for his mediocre looks. We can’t all be Bernie Fraser.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 20:34:37
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994823
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


sarahs mum said:

Janina went on and on today about how ugly this man is. I mean he isn’t a real looker but he seems far from ugly to me.

Seems a bit mean spirited to go after an administrator for his mediocre looks. We can’t all be Bernie Fraser.

Wonders whether i am missing something? Is he jewish or German?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 20:37:14
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1994824
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


dv said:

sarahs mum said:

Janina went on and on today about how ugly this man is. I mean he isn’t a real looker but he seems far from ugly to me.

Seems a bit mean spirited to go after an administrator for his mediocre looks. We can’t all be Bernie Fraser.

Wonders whether i am missing something? Is he jewish or German?

He’s Catholic so not Jewish. I’d guess Irish extraction.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 20:39:19
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994826
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


sarahs mum said:

dv said:

Seems a bit mean spirited to go after an administrator for his mediocre looks. We can’t all be Bernie Fraser.

Wonders whether i am missing something? Is he jewish or German?

He’s Catholic so not Jewish. I’d guess Irish extraction.

I got nothing.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 20:42:02
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994827
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Mining magnate Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest has defended not signing a native title compensation agreement with Yindjibarndi traditional owners in the Pilbara, saying it could lead to an Alice Springs style “alcohol disaster”.
Key points:

Andrew Forrest has defended his company’s dealings with the Yindjibarndi people In a wide-ranging call, he claimed welfare and mining royalties create “alcohol disasters” Mr Forrest also said climate denying politicians should “f*** off”

The Yindjibarndi people were awarded native title with exclusive possession by the Federal Court in 2017, and then beat an appeal against the decision by Fortescue Metals Group, which was founded by Mr Forrest.

The iron ore miner tried to appeal to the High Court, but it refused to grant leave to FMG to appeal in 2020.

However, negotiations over an Indigenous Land Use agreement fell though last year, and the Yindjibarndi have launched a native title compensation case in the Federal Court to force FMG to pay royalties for mining on their country.
Royalties create ‘alcohol disasters’

Mr Forrest today defended the company’s failure to come to a compensation agreement with the Yindjibarndi, and said welfare payments as well as mining royalties had contributed to “alcohol disasters” in towns like Alice Springs.

more..
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-15/fmg-andrew-forrest-indigneous-yindjibarndi-sacred-sites-mining/101979836

Let’s face it, Mr Forrest is a crook.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 20:44:44
From: Kingy
ID: 1994828
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rantoge-clock/rantogean-electromechanical-cam-clock-that-hears-the-time

Link

Interesting concept. Plus it is a kit.

When I was at Uni doing computer science in the late 80’s, one of our projects was to write a program to display multiple 7 piece number displays like the above by using logic gates, when the user entered a number at the console.

It was a very interesting and fun project for a beginner. I did eventually get it to work on the 80286 with 64k of ram.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 20:47:31
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994829
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Sad:

Thai cave rescue survivor dies aged 17 in England

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-15/thai-cave-rescue-survivor-dies-aged-17-england/101980078

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 20:58:46
From: Kingy
ID: 1994830
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Mining magnate Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest has defended not signing a native title compensation agreement with Yindjibarndi traditional owners in the Pilbara, saying it could lead to an Alice Springs style “alcohol disaster”.
Key points:

Andrew Forrest has defended his company’s dealings with the Yindjibarndi people In a wide-ranging call, he claimed welfare and mining royalties create “alcohol disasters” Mr Forrest also said climate denying politicians should “f*** off”

The Yindjibarndi people were awarded native title with exclusive possession by the Federal Court in 2017, and then beat an appeal against the decision by Fortescue Metals Group, which was founded by Mr Forrest.

The iron ore miner tried to appeal to the High Court, but it refused to grant leave to FMG to appeal in 2020.

However, negotiations over an Indigenous Land Use agreement fell though last year, and the Yindjibarndi have launched a native title compensation case in the Federal Court to force FMG to pay royalties for mining on their country.
Royalties create ‘alcohol disasters’

Mr Forrest today defended the company’s failure to come to a compensation agreement with the Yindjibarndi, and said welfare payments as well as mining royalties had contributed to “alcohol disasters” in towns like Alice Springs.

more..
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-15/fmg-andrew-forrest-indigneous-yindjibarndi-sacred-sites-mining/101979836

Let’s face it, Mr Forrest is a crook.

Mr Forrest is one of the good guys. Even Gina is “Not Evil”.

Twiggy is fine with putting money aside for the indigenous people, but when it is handed out like confetti, they don’t know what to do with it and party too hard. It needs to be used to develop their land and lifestyles, not just to buy alcohol and cars.

Clive Palmer is a crook. He tries to dig up everything and sell it, and when he isn’t allowed to, he sues whoever stops him. He is a mining troll.

Gina is a spoilt brat and has personality issues, but at least she uses Australian money, Australian employees, and the profits stay in Australia.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 20:59:42
From: furious
ID: 1994831
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Mining magnate Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest has defended not signing a native title compensation agreement with Yindjibarndi traditional owners in the Pilbara, saying it could lead to an Alice Springs style “alcohol disaster”.
Key points:

Andrew Forrest has defended his company’s dealings with the Yindjibarndi people In a wide-ranging call, he claimed welfare and mining royalties create “alcohol disasters” Mr Forrest also said climate denying politicians should “f*** off”

The Yindjibarndi people were awarded native title with exclusive possession by the Federal Court in 2017, and then beat an appeal against the decision by Fortescue Metals Group, which was founded by Mr Forrest.

The iron ore miner tried to appeal to the High Court, but it refused to grant leave to FMG to appeal in 2020.

However, negotiations over an Indigenous Land Use agreement fell though last year, and the Yindjibarndi have launched a native title compensation case in the Federal Court to force FMG to pay royalties for mining on their country.
Royalties create ‘alcohol disasters’

Mr Forrest today defended the company’s failure to come to a compensation agreement with the Yindjibarndi, and said welfare payments as well as mining royalties had contributed to “alcohol disasters” in towns like Alice Springs.

more..
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-15/fmg-andrew-forrest-indigneous-yindjibarndi-sacred-sites-mining/101979836

Let’s face it, Mr Forrest is a crook.

Yes, but he’s not completely wrong either…

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:01:28
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1994832
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:

Gina is a spoilt brat and has personality issues, but at least she uses Australian money, Australian employees, and the profits stay in Australia.

My fave video on her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gROSA4P2apc

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:01:59
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994833
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

furious said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

Mining magnate Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest has defended not signing a native title compensation agreement with Yindjibarndi traditional owners in the Pilbara, saying it could lead to an Alice Springs style “alcohol disaster”.
Key points:

Andrew Forrest has defended his company’s dealings with the Yindjibarndi people In a wide-ranging call, he claimed welfare and mining royalties create “alcohol disasters” Mr Forrest also said climate denying politicians should “f*** off”

The Yindjibarndi people were awarded native title with exclusive possession by the Federal Court in 2017, and then beat an appeal against the decision by Fortescue Metals Group, which was founded by Mr Forrest.

The iron ore miner tried to appeal to the High Court, but it refused to grant leave to FMG to appeal in 2020.

However, negotiations over an Indigenous Land Use agreement fell though last year, and the Yindjibarndi have launched a native title compensation case in the Federal Court to force FMG to pay royalties for mining on their country.
Royalties create ‘alcohol disasters’

Mr Forrest today defended the company’s failure to come to a compensation agreement with the Yindjibarndi, and said welfare payments as well as mining royalties had contributed to “alcohol disasters” in towns like Alice Springs.

more..
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-15/fmg-andrew-forrest-indigneous-yindjibarndi-sacred-sites-mining/101979836

Let’s face it, Mr Forrest is a crook.

Yes, but he’s not completely wrong either…

thing is how would white people react if told how they could spend their money?

I think one just has to look at recent history to answer that.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:03:21
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994834
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

Mining magnate Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest has defended not signing a native title compensation agreement with Yindjibarndi traditional owners in the Pilbara, saying it could lead to an Alice Springs style “alcohol disaster”.
Key points:

Andrew Forrest has defended his company’s dealings with the Yindjibarndi people In a wide-ranging call, he claimed welfare and mining royalties create “alcohol disasters” Mr Forrest also said climate denying politicians should “f*** off”

The Yindjibarndi people were awarded native title with exclusive possession by the Federal Court in 2017, and then beat an appeal against the decision by Fortescue Metals Group, which was founded by Mr Forrest.

The iron ore miner tried to appeal to the High Court, but it refused to grant leave to FMG to appeal in 2020.

However, negotiations over an Indigenous Land Use agreement fell though last year, and the Yindjibarndi have launched a native title compensation case in the Federal Court to force FMG to pay royalties for mining on their country.
Royalties create ‘alcohol disasters’

Mr Forrest today defended the company’s failure to come to a compensation agreement with the Yindjibarndi, and said welfare payments as well as mining royalties had contributed to “alcohol disasters” in towns like Alice Springs.

more..
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-15/fmg-andrew-forrest-indigneous-yindjibarndi-sacred-sites-mining/101979836

Let’s face it, Mr Forrest is a crook.

Mr Forrest is one of the good guys. Even Gina is “Not Evil”.

Twiggy is fine with putting money aside for the indigenous people, but when it is handed out like confetti, they don’t know what to do with it and party too hard. It needs to be used to develop their land and lifestyles, not just to buy alcohol and cars.

Clive Palmer is a crook. He tries to dig up everything and sell it, and when he isn’t allowed to, he sues whoever stops him. He is a mining troll.

Gina is a spoilt brat and has personality issues, but at least she uses Australian money, Australian employees, and the profits stay in Australia.

Twiggy has manufactured his image.

And it isn’t up to him how they spend their money.They should be able to afford private rehab.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:03:53
From: furious
ID: 1994835
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


furious said:

Bubblecar said:

Let’s face it, Mr Forrest is a crook.

Yes, but he’s not completely wrong either…

thing is how would white people react if told how they could spend their money?

I think one just has to look at recent history to answer that.

Yes, he shouldn’t be dictating how they spend their money, but he’s not completely wrong either…

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:04:25
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994836
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Wonder why drain cleaner is so expensive.

A bottle of this stuff (left) is more expensive than a decent South Australian shiraz (right).

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:05:32
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994837
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

furious said:


ChrispenEvan said:

furious said:

Yes, but he’s not completely wrong either…

thing is how would white people react if told how they could spend their money?

I think one just has to look at recent history to answer that.

Yes, he shouldn’t be dictating how they spend their money, but he’s not completely wrong either…

agreed. and mine workers wages has led to the abuse of drugs.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:05:37
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994838
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:

thing is how would white people react if told how they could spend their money?

I think one just has to look at recent history to answer that.

What reaction would i get if i said that i’d had a fabulous financial windfall, pissed it all up against the wall, and ruined my health and future in the process?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:06:28
From: furious
ID: 1994840
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


furious said:

ChrispenEvan said:

thing is how would white people react if told how they could spend their money?

I think one just has to look at recent history to answer that.

Yes, he shouldn’t be dictating how they spend their money, but he’s not completely wrong either…

agreed. and mine workers wages has led to the abuse of drugs.

Yes, and drug testing regimes pushed people onto harder drugs, don’t stay in the system as long as pot…

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:07:45
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994841
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ChrispenEvan said:

thing is how would white people react if told how they could spend their money?

I think one just has to look at recent history to answer that.

What reaction would i get if i said that i’d had a fabulous financial windfall, pissed it all up against the wall, and ruined my health and future in the process?

fool. like what we say to lotto winners who are broke again after a few years. no one is telling them, or controlling, how they spend their money though.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:08:05
From: Kingy
ID: 1994842
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ChrispenEvan said:

thing is how would white people react if told how they could spend their money?

I think one just has to look at recent history to answer that.

What reaction would i get if i said that i’d had a fabulous financial windfall, pissed it all up against the wall, and ruined my health and future in the process?

That’s your choice. But if you had a fabulous financial windfall and ruined other peoples lives and health, that’s a completely different thing.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:08:15
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994843
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

To me, someone who says “I’m entitled to steal your wealth, because you’d only spend it on stuff I disapprove of” is a crook.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:08:30
From: furious
ID: 1994844
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ChrispenEvan said:

thing is how would white people react if told how they could spend their money?

I think one just has to look at recent history to answer that.

What reaction would i get if i said that i’d had a fabulous financial windfall, pissed it all up against the wall, and ruined my health and future in the process?

Why? Is that something you think you’re likely to say?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:10:20
From: dv
ID: 1994845
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

sarahs mum said:

Wonders whether i am missing something? Is he jewish or German?

He’s Catholic so not Jewish. I’d guess Irish extraction.

I got nothing.

Got a nice Irish tan

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:10:23
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994846
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

furious said:


captain_spalding said:

ChrispenEvan said:

thing is how would white people react if told how they could spend their money?

I think one just has to look at recent history to answer that.

What reaction would i get if i said that i’d had a fabulous financial windfall, pissed it all up against the wall, and ruined my health and future in the process?

Why? Is that something you think you’re likely to say?

I can dream, can’t i?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:10:24
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994847
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

furious said:


captain_spalding said:

ChrispenEvan said:

thing is how would white people react if told how they could spend their money?

I think one just has to look at recent history to answer that.

What reaction would i get if i said that i’d had a fabulous financial windfall, pissed it all up against the wall, and ruined my health and future in the process?

Why? Is that something you think you’re likely to say?

I can dream, can’t i?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:14:10
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994848
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

the indue card was twiggy’s idea and look at the grief and hardship that caused people. maybe he should stick to mining and leave social programs to those that have the skills.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:15:37
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994849
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


the indue card was twiggy’s idea and look at the grief and hardship that caused people. maybe he should stick to mining and leave social programs to those that have the skills.

Yeah, people with social programmes skills. Let’s get some of them, the mob we’ve had until now are shit at it.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:17:17
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994850
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ChrispenEvan said:

the indue card was twiggy’s idea and look at the grief and hardship that caused people. maybe he should stick to mining and leave social programs to those that have the skills.

Yeah, people with social programmes skills. Let’s get some of them, the mob we’ve had until now are shit at it.

yes dear. you constant cynicism is boring. get a new parrot.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:17:46
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1994851
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


the indue card was twiggy’s idea and look at the grief and hardship that caused people. maybe he should stick to mining and leave social programs to those that have the skills.

The influx of cash should come with proven social programs in tandem. Sometimes this is not the case.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:20:12
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994852
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

They even sound like gangland bosses. “Twiggy” Forrest, “Fat Clive” Palmer, Gina “Big Mama” Rinehart who looks like Bea Smith from Prisoner.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:20:31
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994853
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


ChrispenEvan said:

the indue card was twiggy’s idea and look at the grief and hardship that caused people. maybe he should stick to mining and leave social programs to those that have the skills.

The influx of cash should come with proven social programs in tandem. Sometimes this is not the case.

yep. education systems that suit the people not what we think they should do. most communities are alcohol free but of course they aren’t always at these communities and there are bootleggers who prey on them.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:28:23
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994858
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


captain_spalding said:

ChrispenEvan said:

the indue card was twiggy’s idea and look at the grief and hardship that caused people. maybe he should stick to mining and leave social programs to those that have the skills.

Yeah, people with social programmes skills. Let’s get some of them, the mob we’ve had until now are shit at it.

yes dear. you constant cynicism is boring. get a new parrot.

Yes, dear.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:29:48
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994860
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Should have done my Coles order earlier, tomorrow’s slots are sold out :(

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:32:05
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994862
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Should have done my Coles order earlier, tomorrow’s slots are sold out :(

Can you hang on until Friday?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:34:04
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994863
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:

To me, someone who says “I’m entitled to steal your wealth, because you’d only spend it on stuff I disapprove of” is a crook.

so taxes are criminal activity

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:35:33
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994865
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Bubblecar said:

Should have done my Coles order earlier, tomorrow’s slots are sold out :(

Can you hang on until Friday?

Yes but it will mean buying stuff for dinner tomorrow from the IGA.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:35:45
From: Kingy
ID: 1994866
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ChrispenEvan said:

the indue card was twiggy’s idea and look at the grief and hardship that caused people. maybe he should stick to mining and leave social programs to those that have the skills.

Yeah, people with social programmes skills. Let’s get some of them, the mob we’ve had until now are shit at it.

There is a fine line between holding and spending the money for someone, and having them as a pet.

I grew up in a town of indigenous people. They were destroyed as a people before I was even born. They were angry and I don’t blame them.

They deserve more than they have, but the broken families and heritage are struggling to cope with the new situation. Giving them a pile of money is our way of fixing things, but it appears to just make it worse for them.

I don’t have any answers here, and I’m not claiming to. Their lives are broken and it’s our fault.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:36:10
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994867
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Freak Accident Kills Man After MRI Machine Triggers Loaded Handgun

A Brazilian man has passed away from injuries he received last month when a concealed handgun he was wearing discharged near an operating MRI machine, shooting him in the abdomen.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:38:54
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994868
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Should have done my Coles order earlier, tomorrow’s slots are sold out :(

See if you can get some slots from the IGA.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:40:51
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994870
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Freak Accident Kills Man After MRI Machine Triggers Loaded Handgun

A Brazilian man has passed away from injuries he received last month when a concealed handgun he was wearing discharged near an operating MRI machine, shooting him in the abdomen.

more…

How many people do they need to kill before they get banned.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:41:46
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994871
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Freak Accident Kills Man After MRI Machine Triggers Loaded Handgun

A Brazilian man has passed away from injuries he received last month when a concealed handgun he was wearing discharged near an operating MRI machine, shooting him in the abdomen.

more…

How many people do they need to kill before they get banned.

turns out you don’t need a good guy with a gun to stop the bad guys with guns after all, you just need a fucking huge electromagnet

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:42:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994872
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

Should have done my Coles order earlier, tomorrow’s slots are sold out :(

See if you can get some slots from the IGA.

IGA doesn’t deliver here.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:43:47
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1994873
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Bubblecar said:

Should have done my Coles order earlier, tomorrow’s slots are sold out :(

See if you can get some slots from the IGA.

IGA doesn’t deliver here.

What are you complaining about, you’ve got a wheelbarrow!

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:46:47
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994874
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

‘Giving them a pile of money is our way of fixing things, but it appears to just make it worse for them.’

That it does. The saying is that money doesn’t buy happiness, and it seems that it doesn’t even buy a better class of sadness.

‘I don’t have any answers here, and I’m not claiming to. Their lives are broken and it’s our fault.’

I don’t know whether the answer is yes or no, but has there ever been any proper planning for what’s to be done with the money? Have the questions been seriously put as to what do the people themselves want to see it do for them, what improvements and changes for the better would they want to see it produce?

No, don’t tell them how it’s to be spent. That’s for them to say. But if the money is spent, then the people whose money it is ought to be able to see some ongoing benefits from it. And that means accountability. Appears awfully patronising, i know, but without accountability as to what its spent on, why its spent on those things, and what benefits those things are meant to bring, then the potential for it to be misspent or for it to contribute to worsening the problems is going to be there.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:51:29
From: party_pants
ID: 1994876
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


captain_spalding said:

Bubblecar said:

Should have done my Coles order earlier, tomorrow’s slots are sold out :(

Can you hang on until Friday?

Yes but it will mean buying stuff for dinner tomorrow from the IGA.

You don’t have a few frozen microwave dinners in the freezer just in case??

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:53:20
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1994877
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Bubblecar said:

captain_spalding said:

Can you hang on until Friday?

Yes but it will mean buying stuff for dinner tomorrow from the IGA.

You don’t have a few frozen microwave dinners in the freezer just in case??

Naught ends up in the freezer: after dinner and supper a meal for four only feeds a Bubblecar of one.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:55:28
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1994879
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Bubblecar said:

captain_spalding said:

Can you hang on until Friday?

Yes but it will mean buying stuff for dinner tomorrow from the IGA.

You don’t have a few frozen microwave dinners in the freezer just in case??

(Tries to picture Bubblecar ‘preparing’ and consuming a frozen microwave dinner.

Passes out.)

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:56:02
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1994880
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:

accountability

LOL

you said you can dream right

carry on

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 21:58:23
From: party_pants
ID: 1994882
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


party_pants said:

Bubblecar said:

Yes but it will mean buying stuff for dinner tomorrow from the IGA.

You don’t have a few frozen microwave dinners in the freezer just in case??

Naught ends up in the freezer: after dinner and supper a meal for four only feeds a Bubblecar of one.

I’m still over 100 kg right now, and I eat them around twice a week. You ain’t gunna starve on them.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 22:04:00
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1994885
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


captain_spalding said:

ChrispenEvan said:

the indue card was twiggy’s idea and look at the grief and hardship that caused people. maybe he should stick to mining and leave social programs to those that have the skills.

Yeah, people with social programmes skills. Let’s get some of them, the mob we’ve had until now are shit at it.

There is a fine line between holding and spending the money for someone, and having them as a pet.

I grew up in a town of indigenous people. They were destroyed as a people before I was even born. They were angry and I don’t blame them.

They deserve more than they have, but the broken families and heritage are struggling to cope with the new situation. Giving them a pile of money is our way of fixing things, but it appears to just make it worse for them.

I don’t have any answers here, and I’m not claiming to. Their lives are broken and it’s our fault.

+1

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 22:25:05
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1994891
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Kingy said:

captain_spalding said:

Yeah, people with social programmes skills. Let’s get some of them, the mob we’ve had until now are shit at it.

There is a fine line between holding and spending the money for someone, and having them as a pet.

I grew up in a town of indigenous people. They were destroyed as a people before I was even born. They were angry and I don’t blame them.

They deserve more than they have, but the broken families and heritage are struggling to cope with the new situation. Giving them a pile of money is our way of fixing things, but it appears to just make it worse for them.

I don’t have any answers here, and I’m not claiming to. Their lives are broken and it’s our fault.

+1

Virtually everything we have done for Aborigines has made their situation worse. We treat them like children making them to come cap in hand to someone not of their culture to provide services and the means to live, and what do they do? They rebel! The kids go wild and cause endless trouble and their parents don’t care and seek immediate satisfaction in drink, drugs and anything else that comes to mind.

Our culture and their culture is completely different and we have different values, which means one culture dominated by another is fraught with problems and most likely will not work. Aboriginal culture is elder driven, they have the accumulated knowledge and administer their law. These people are respected by their communities, but we do not support and back them up. They need to be able to discipline individuals to make their law work, but if they do, they will be breaking our law. There desperately needs to be some transfer of power over their lives from us to them, otherwise this situation of crime, drink and despair will never end.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 22:42:29
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994893
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

10 years ago, we were turning nuclear bombs into nuclear energy. We can do it again.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 22:44:51
From: Kingy
ID: 1994894
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


PermeateFree said:

Kingy said:

There is a fine line between holding and spending the money for someone, and having them as a pet.

I grew up in a town of indigenous people. They were destroyed as a people before I was even born. They were angry and I don’t blame them.

They deserve more than they have, but the broken families and heritage are struggling to cope with the new situation. Giving them a pile of money is our way of fixing things, but it appears to just make it worse for them.

I don’t have any answers here, and I’m not claiming to. Their lives are broken and it’s our fault.

+1

Virtually everything we have done for Aborigines has made their situation worse. We treat them like children making them to come cap in hand to someone not of their culture to provide services and the means to live, and what do they do? They rebel! The kids go wild and cause endless trouble and their parents don’t care and seek immediate satisfaction in drink, drugs and anything else that comes to mind.

Our culture and their culture is completely different and we have different values, which means one culture dominated by another is fraught with problems and most likely will not work. Aboriginal culture is elder driven, they have the accumulated knowledge and administer their law. These people are respected by their communities, but we do not support and back them up. They need to be able to discipline individuals to make their law work, but if they do, they will be breaking our law. There desperately needs to be some transfer of power over their lives from us to them, otherwise this situation of crime, drink and despair will never end.

+1

Well, here we are, unexpectedly agreeing with each other.

Cheers.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 22:47:15
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994895
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

who firebombed friendlyjordies?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF1-1CNggQA

—
long winded recap of the barilaro episodes. suggestion that it might have been Barilaro’s underground Italian mob connections seem plausible.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 23:03:08
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994899
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 23:06:05
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994901
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



Ta. That harpist looks really cheesed off.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 23:12:09
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994902
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:


Ta. That harpist looks really cheesed off.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 23:27:42
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994904
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:


Ta. That harpist looks really cheesed off.


Still going today. “A pub with gloomy charm.”

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 23:30:41
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1994905
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Ta. That harpist looks really cheesed off.


Still going today. “A pub with gloomy charm.”

almost smell the beer and the roast of the day.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2023 23:57:30
From: transition
ID: 1994906
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


who firebombed friendlyjordies?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF1-1CNggQA

—
long winded recap of the barilaro episodes. suggestion that it might have been Barilaro’s underground Italian mob connections seem plausible.

watched most that, might get to rest in the morn

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 00:02:51
From: party_pants
ID: 1994907
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

standing by for spoilers….

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 01:55:20
From: dv
ID: 1994916
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Feb 14 didn’t work out for us as a date night so we went out to ight instead. Had the “chef’s recommendation “ menu honestly we were full af after the starters, pretty reasonable price. They brought out (and I’m copying and pasting from the menu)

ENTREE

charred broccoli, house satay, miso butter, peanut crunch, thai herb salad

steamed prawn dumpling, soy and black vinegar caramel

twice cooked octopus, pickled daikon, eggplant nahm prik

cauliflower spring roll, peanut chilli sauce

MAIN

charred green beans, cashew nut sambal

duck with a char siu glaze

wok tossed rice noodle roll, gai lan, mushroom medley, chilli oil

DESERT (as shown)

TBL had cocktails, I had beer and cointreau and a coffee with sambuca.

Rolled home

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 02:32:12
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994917
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

11,000-Year-Old Wall Carving in Turkey Could Be Some of the Oldest Narrative Art

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 02:41:12
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994918
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cave Painting of Pigs Might Be the Oldest Known Artwork of Animals

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 02:41:41
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994919
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

200,000-Year-Old Hand Art Found Near a Tibetan Hot Spring

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 05:21:57
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994921
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Black holes ‘contain dark energy that drive expansion of universe’

International scientists propose black holes as source for dark energy, created when stars collapse.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 05:23:47
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994922
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Colliding Neutron Stars Created a Sphere So Perfect It’s Shocked physicists

The colossal explosion resulting from a merger between two neutron stars has an unexpectedly perfect shape.

According to a new analysis of the aftermath of a historical neutron star collision observed in 2017, the kilonova explosion produced by the two stars was a completely symmetrical, almost perfect sphere. And astronomers just don’t know why. It contradicts all previous assumptions about and models of kilonovae.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 05:24:46
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994923
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Four classes of planetary systems

In our solar system, everything seems to be in order: The smaller rocky planets, such as Venus, Earth or Mars, orbit relatively close to our star. The large gas and ice giants, such as Jupiter, Saturn or Neptune, on the other hand, move in wide orbits around the sun.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 05:25:29
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994924
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The first network of robotic telescopes present across five continents is deployed

The Institute of Astrophysics of Andalucía (IAA) of the State Agency Spanish Research Council (CSIC) has finished the deployment of the BOOTES Network (Burst Observer and Optical Transient Exploring System), the first network of robotic telescopes with stations on five continents. With installations in Spain (two stations), New Zealand, China, Mexico, South Africa and Chile, it constitutes the most complete network of its kind and a unique and fully automated resource for combining data from instruments around the world, monitoring the sky and supporting observations from missions and satellites. A paper sharing the details of the network and its achievements has been accepted for publication in Frontiers in Astronomy and Space Sciences.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 06:10:39
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994925
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 06:22:22
From: buffy
ID: 1994926
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 16 degrees. It’s still dark. Our sunup isn’t until about 7.05 at this time of year. We are forecast a partly cloudy 37 degrees today, but then we drop to 33 tomorrow and stay in the twenties for a few days according to the forecasting.

I’m going to Hamilton (again) this morning to do my shopping. I need to remember to go to the hardware place and get some of those little doover clippy twisty things for holding wire flyscreens on windows. I used some the other day from “stores” but there aren’t enough there to do all the screens and they do really all need renewing. Some of the ones on the house at the moment are antiques and have been painted over several times.

I see they are called turn buttons

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 06:35:47
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994927
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Antique hearse, Dresden, Germany.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 06:36:21
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1994928
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 06:55:29
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994930
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Feb 14 didn’t work out for us as a date night so we went out to ight instead. Had the “chef’s recommendation “ menu honestly we were full af after the starters, pretty reasonable price. They brought out (and I’m copying and pasting from the menu)

ENTREE

charred broccoli, house satay, miso butter, peanut crunch, thai herb salad

steamed prawn dumpling, soy and black vinegar caramel

twice cooked octopus, pickled daikon, eggplant nahm prik

cauliflower spring roll, peanut chilli sauce

MAIN

charred green beans, cashew nut sambal

duck with a char siu glaze

wok tossed rice noodle roll, gai lan, mushroom medley, chilli oil

DESERT (as shown)

TBL had cocktails, I had beer and cointreau and a coffee with sambuca.

Rolled home

Sounds a tasty evening.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 06:57:24
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994931
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Good morning Holidayers. Presently 16 degrees. It’s still dark. Our sunup isn’t until about 7.05 at this time of year. We are forecast a partly cloudy 37 degrees today, but then we drop to 33 tomorrow and stay in the twenties for a few days according to the forecasting.

I’m going to Hamilton (again) this morning to do my shopping. I need to remember to go to the hardware place and get some of those little doover clippy twisty things for holding wire flyscreens on windows. I used some the other day from “stores” but there aren’t enough there to do all the screens and they do really all need renewing. Some of the ones on the house at the moment are antiques and have been painted over several times.

I see they are called turn buttons


Morning buffy.

I’m doing some shopping early too, just to get food supplies for today as Coles won’t be delivering until tomorrow.

We’re heading for 28 then 33 tomorrow.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 06:58:21
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994932
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Antique hearse, Dresden, Germany.


That’s an impressive vehicle. Probably worth a pretty penny.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 07:10:15
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994934
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Cave Painting of Pigs Might Be the Oldest Known Artwork of Animals

It’s a great pig, ta.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 07:51:14
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994939
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

It’d need a clear dome cover over it here, because of the grit and mould that gets onto everything. That it doesn’t have that cover is a deal-breaker for me.

Yep. Dirt is the enemy in the clock world.

Rantoge—An electromechanical cam clock that hears the time

Okay I watched the video. In what way does it hear the time? What does that even mean?

I had the same thoughts as you.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 07:52:01
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994940
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


dv said:

roughbarked said:

Yep. Dirt is the enemy in the clock world.

Rantoge—An electromechanical cam clock that hears the time

Okay I watched the video. In what way does it hear the time? What does that even mean?

I was thinking about how the snooze function worked.

Once you blearily slam your hand down on it to shut it up and get a few more minutes of sleep, how does it start working again, and how do you get the broken bits out of the palm of your hand?

WB&D

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 08:00:26
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994941
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


captain_spalding said:

ChrispenEvan said:

the indue card was twiggy’s idea and look at the grief and hardship that caused people. maybe he should stick to mining and leave social programs to those that have the skills.

Yeah, people with social programmes skills. Let’s get some of them, the mob we’ve had until now are shit at it.

There is a fine line between holding and spending the money for someone, and having them as a pet.

I grew up in a town of indigenous people. They were destroyed as a people before I was even born. They were angry and I don’t blame them.

They deserve more than they have, but the broken families and heritage are struggling to cope with the new situation. Giving them a pile of money is our way of fixing things, but it appears to just make it worse for them.

I don’t have any answers here, and I’m not claiming to. Their lives are broken and it’s our fault.

This is the nub.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 08:04:17
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994942
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


PermeateFree said:

Kingy said:

There is a fine line between holding and spending the money for someone, and having them as a pet.

I grew up in a town of indigenous people. They were destroyed as a people before I was even born. They were angry and I don’t blame them.

They deserve more than they have, but the broken families and heritage are struggling to cope with the new situation. Giving them a pile of money is our way of fixing things, but it appears to just make it worse for them.

I don’t have any answers here, and I’m not claiming to. Their lives are broken and it’s our fault.

+1

Virtually everything we have done for Aborigines has made their situation worse. We treat them like children making them to come cap in hand to someone not of their culture to provide services and the means to live, and what do they do? They rebel! The kids go wild and cause endless trouble and their parents don’t care and seek immediate satisfaction in drink, drugs and anything else that comes to mind.

Our culture and their culture is completely different and we have different values, which means one culture dominated by another is fraught with problems and most likely will not work. Aboriginal culture is elder driven, they have the accumulated knowledge and administer their law. These people are respected by their communities, but we do not support and back them up. They need to be able to discipline individuals to make their law work, but if they do, they will be breaking our law. There desperately needs to be some transfer of power over their lives from us to them, otherwise this situation of crime, drink and despair will never end.

Let us hope that the voice works?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 08:37:46
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1994949
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


200,000-Year-Old Hand Art Found Near a Tibetan Hot Spring

A 210,000-year-old skull has been identified as the earliest modern human remains found outside Africa, putting the clock back on mankind’s arrival in Europe by more than 150,000 years, researchers said Wednesday.

In a startling discovery that changes our understanding of how modern man populated Eurasia, the findings support the idea that Homo sapiens made several, sometimes unsuccessful migrations from Africa over tens of thousands of years.

Southeast Europe has long been considered a major transport corridor for modern humans from Africa. But until now the earliest evidence of Homo sapiens on the continent dated back only around 50,000 years.

Link.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 08:43:38
From: transition
ID: 1994953
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

my reading

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Flag

coffee mostly done

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 08:54:03
From: ms spock
ID: 1994960
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Céad míle fáilte (a hundred thousand welcomes) to one and all!

Sad news my favorite Irish teacher is returning to Ireland and will no longer be teaching us!

The heat is said to be 23 degrees today. We will see.

Slán go fóill (Goodbye!)

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 08:57:11
From: ms spock
ID: 1994961
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


PermeateFree said:

PermeateFree said:

+1

Virtually everything we have done for Aborigines has made their situation worse. We treat them like children making them to come cap in hand to someone not of their culture to provide services and the means to live, and what do they do? They rebel! The kids go wild and cause endless trouble and their parents don’t care and seek immediate satisfaction in drink, drugs and anything else that comes to mind.

Our culture and their culture is completely different and we have different values, which means one culture dominated by another is fraught with problems and most likely will not work. Aboriginal culture is elder driven, they have the accumulated knowledge and administer their law. These people are respected by their communities, but we do not support and back them up. They need to be able to discipline individuals to make their law work, but if they do, they will be breaking our law. There desperately needs to be some transfer of power over their lives from us to them, otherwise this situation of crime, drink and despair will never end.

Let us hope that the voice works?

Be great if we gave back the Stolen Wages rather than dragging it out so their children and descendants don’t get the money from the wages they worked to earn.

Inquiry into Stolen Wages

Stolen Wages Settlement

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 09:09:02
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994966
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


roughbarked said:

PermeateFree said:

Virtually everything we have done for Aborigines has made their situation worse. We treat them like children making them to come cap in hand to someone not of their culture to provide services and the means to live, and what do they do? They rebel! The kids go wild and cause endless trouble and their parents don’t care and seek immediate satisfaction in drink, drugs and anything else that comes to mind.

Our culture and their culture is completely different and we have different values, which means one culture dominated by another is fraught with problems and most likely will not work. Aboriginal culture is elder driven, they have the accumulated knowledge and administer their law. These people are respected by their communities, but we do not support and back them up. They need to be able to discipline individuals to make their law work, but if they do, they will be breaking our law. There desperately needs to be some transfer of power over their lives from us to them, otherwise this situation of crime, drink and despair will never end.

Let us hope that the voice works?

Be great if we gave back the Stolen Wages rather than dragging it out so their children and descendants don’t get the money from the wages they worked to earn.

Inquiry into Stolen Wages

Stolen Wages Settlement

Then there is the stolen land..

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 09:20:44
From: dv
ID: 1994970
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


dv said:

roughbarked said:

Yep. Dirt is the enemy in the clock world.

Rantoge—An electromechanical cam clock that hears the time

Okay I watched the video. In what way does it hear the time? What does that even mean?

I had the same thoughts as you.

GMTA

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 09:23:00
From: transition
ID: 1994971
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I walked, warming up to a proper february summers day out there

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 09:27:20
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994973
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


I walked, warming up to a proper february summers day out there

Heading for 37 here. Already 29.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 09:32:28
From: Michael V
ID: 1994974
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


roughbarked said:

dv said:

Rantoge—An electromechanical cam clock that hears the time

Okay I watched the video. In what way does it hear the time? What does that even mean?

I had the same thoughts as you.

GMTA

Greenwich Mean Time, I get. I’m at a loss about the A though.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 09:35:34
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1994975
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


dv said:

roughbarked said:

I had the same thoughts as you.

GMTA

Greenwich Mean Time, I get. I’m at a loss about the A though.

so you’re asking GMTA then?

(give me the answer)

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 09:35:56
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994976
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


dv said:

roughbarked said:

I had the same thoughts as you.

GMTA

Greenwich Mean Time, I get. I’m at a loss about the A though.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 09:38:22
From: Woodie
ID: 1994978
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


dv said:

roughbarked said:

I had the same thoughts as you.

GMTA

Greenwich Mean Time, I get. I’m at a loss about the A though.

Give Me The Answer????

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 09:43:01
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994979
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Michael V said:

dv said:

GMTA

Greenwich Mean Time, I get. I’m at a loss about the A though.

Give Me The Answer????

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind. How else can time be heard?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 09:43:42
From: dv
ID: 1994980
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Michael V said:

dv said:

GMTA

Greenwich Mean Time, I get. I’m at a loss about the A though.

Give Me The Answer????

Great minds think alike

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 09:44:34
From: ms spock
ID: 1994981
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Last Week in the Republican Party – February 14, 2023

(2.16 seconds)

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 09:50:30
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994982
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“Vladimir Putin’s top commander hospitalised after escaping mysterious assassination attempt”

It’s like the good old days of the glorious revolution.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 09:52:54
From: dv
ID: 1994983
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


“Vladimir Putin’s top commander hospitalised after escaping mysterious assassination attempt”

It’s like the good old days of the glorious revolution.

Must have been really heavy double glazing or something

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 09:53:55
From: ms spock
ID: 1994985
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

roughbarked said:

Let us hope that the voice works?

Be great if we gave back the Stolen Wages rather than dragging it out so their children and descendants don’t get the money from the wages they worked to earn.

Inquiry into Stolen Wages

Stolen Wages Settlement

Then there is the stolen land..

There is definitely the Stolen Land and the Stolen Water – companies are making a motza out of the Stolen Water or paying 77 cents each teralytre? (spelling?) (Learnt about that at National Law School Conference!)

And the Stolen Children…

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 09:53:59
From: dv
ID: 1994986
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Twitter CEO Elon Musk had Twitter engineers set up a “special system” to boost his tweets after his post about the Super Bowl got fewer views than a tweet from President Biden, according to a report by Platformer yesterday.

Biden’s tweet supporting the Philadelphia Eagles has 29.1 million views, while Musk’s now-deleted tweet also supporting the Eagles received a mere 9.1 million. Hours after the Eagles’ loss, Musk’s cousin James Musk posted a message in Twitter’s Slack asking anyone “who can make dashboards and write software” to help with “debugging an issue with engagement across the platform,” the report said. James Musk’s Slack message reportedly called the situation one of “high urgency.”

——

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/02/report-musk-had-twitter-engineers-boost-his-tweets-after-biden-got-more-views/

It’s kind of like the Cookie Monster bought Arnotts.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 09:55:04
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994987
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


roughbarked said:

ms spock said:

Be great if we gave back the Stolen Wages rather than dragging it out so their children and descendants don’t get the money from the wages they worked to earn.

Inquiry into Stolen Wages

Stolen Wages Settlement

Then there is the stolen land..

There is definitely the Stolen Land and the Stolen Water – companies are making a motza out of the Stolen Water or paying 77 cents each teralytre? (spelling?) (Learnt about that at National Law School Conference!)

And the Stolen Children…

GTA. Grand Theft Australia.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 09:55:28
From: roughbarked
ID: 1994989
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Twitter CEO Elon Musk had Twitter engineers set up a “special system” to boost his tweets after his post about the Super Bowl got fewer views than a tweet from President Biden, according to a report by Platformer yesterday.

Biden’s tweet supporting the Philadelphia Eagles has 29.1 million views, while Musk’s now-deleted tweet also supporting the Eagles received a mere 9.1 million. Hours after the Eagles’ loss, Musk’s cousin James Musk posted a message in Twitter’s Slack asking anyone “who can make dashboards and write software” to help with “debugging an issue with engagement across the platform,” the report said. James Musk’s Slack message reportedly called the situation one of “high urgency.”

——

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/02/report-musk-had-twitter-engineers-boost-his-tweets-after-biden-got-more-views/

It’s kind of like the Cookie Monster bought Arnotts.

:) good point.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 09:58:27
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1994992
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

BACK with some fresh shark for dinner.

But now, a ham & salad sandwich for brunch.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 10:00:38
From: ms spock
ID: 1994993
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Twitter CEO Elon Musk had Twitter engineers set up a “special system” to boost his tweets after his post about the Super Bowl got fewer views than a tweet from President Biden, according to a report by Platformer yesterday.

Biden’s tweet supporting the Philadelphia Eagles has 29.1 million views, while Musk’s now-deleted tweet also supporting the Eagles received a mere 9.1 million. Hours after the Eagles’ loss, Musk’s cousin James Musk posted a message in Twitter’s Slack asking anyone “who can make dashboards and write software” to help with “debugging an issue with engagement across the platform,” the report said. James Musk’s Slack message reportedly called the situation one of “high urgency.”

——

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/02/report-musk-had-twitter-engineers-boost-his-tweets-after-biden-got-more-views/

It’s kind of like the Cookie Monster bought Arnotts.

It is so totally bizarre and so totally hilarious and totally terrifying!

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 10:01:34
From: ms spock
ID: 1994994
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

roughbarked said:

Then there is the stolen land..

There is definitely the Stolen Land and the Stolen Water – companies are making a motza out of the Stolen Water or paying 77 cents each teralytre? (spelling?) (Learnt about that at National Law School Conference!)

And the Stolen Children…

GTA. Grand Theft Australia.

GTA Grand Theft Australia. I will be using that!

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 10:04:02
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1994995
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Twitter CEO Elon Musk had Twitter engineers set up a “special system” to boost his tweets after his post about the Super Bowl got fewer views than a tweet from President Biden, according to a report by Platformer yesterday.

Biden’s tweet supporting the Philadelphia Eagles has 29.1 million views, while Musk’s now-deleted tweet also supporting the Eagles received a mere 9.1 million. Hours after the Eagles’ loss, Musk’s cousin James Musk posted a message in Twitter’s Slack asking anyone “who can make dashboards and write software” to help with “debugging an issue with engagement across the platform,” the report said. James Musk’s Slack message reportedly called the situation one of “high urgency.”

——

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/02/report-musk-had-twitter-engineers-boost-his-tweets-after-biden-got-more-views/

It’s kind of like the Cookie Monster bought Arnotts.

The Cookie Monster and Platformer are really just Influencers.
Arnotts on the other hand is a well respected and much loved Australian company.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 10:04:51
From: ms spock
ID: 1994996
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


dv said:

Twitter CEO Elon Musk had Twitter engineers set up a “special system” to boost his tweets after his post about the Super Bowl got fewer views than a tweet from President Biden, according to a report by Platformer yesterday.

Biden’s tweet supporting the Philadelphia Eagles has 29.1 million views, while Musk’s now-deleted tweet also supporting the Eagles received a mere 9.1 million. Hours after the Eagles’ loss, Musk’s cousin James Musk posted a message in Twitter’s Slack asking anyone “who can make dashboards and write software” to help with “debugging an issue with engagement across the platform,” the report said. James Musk’s Slack message reportedly called the situation one of “high urgency.”

——

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/02/report-musk-had-twitter-engineers-boost-his-tweets-after-biden-got-more-views/

It’s kind of like the Cookie Monster bought Arnotts.

:) good point.

The Cookie Monster analogy just hit me and now I am laughing.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 10:13:08
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995000
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

An interesting clock. The hour hand makes two revolutions per hour, and the minute hand once every two hours.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 10:15:53
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995002
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


An interesting clock. The hour hand makes two revolutions per hour, and the minute hand once every two hours.


Sounds like it’s fucked.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 10:17:31
From: ms spock
ID: 1995003
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


dv said:

Twitter CEO Elon Musk had Twitter engineers set up a “special system” to boost his tweets after his post about the Super Bowl got fewer views than a tweet from President Biden, according to a report by Platformer yesterday.

Biden’s tweet supporting the Philadelphia Eagles has 29.1 million views, while Musk’s now-deleted tweet also supporting the Eagles received a mere 9.1 million. Hours after the Eagles’ loss, Musk’s cousin James Musk posted a message in Twitter’s Slack asking anyone “who can make dashboards and write software” to help with “debugging an issue with engagement across the platform,” the report said. James Musk’s Slack message reportedly called the situation one of “high urgency.”

——

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/02/report-musk-had-twitter-engineers-boost-his-tweets-after-biden-got-more-views/

It’s kind of like the Cookie Monster bought Arnotts.

The Cookie Monster and Platformer are really just Influencers.
Arnotts on the other hand is a well respected and much loved Australian company.

So true PWM, some of their biscuits are just delicious!

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 10:18:53
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995004
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


dv said:

Twitter CEO Elon Musk had Twitter engineers set up a “special system” to boost his tweets after his post about the Super Bowl got fewer views than a tweet from President Biden, according to a report by Platformer yesterday.

Biden’s tweet supporting the Philadelphia Eagles has 29.1 million views, while Musk’s now-deleted tweet also supporting the Eagles received a mere 9.1 million. Hours after the Eagles’ loss, Musk’s cousin James Musk posted a message in Twitter’s Slack asking anyone “who can make dashboards and write software” to help with “debugging an issue with engagement across the platform,” the report said. James Musk’s Slack message reportedly called the situation one of “high urgency.”

——

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/02/report-musk-had-twitter-engineers-boost-his-tweets-after-biden-got-more-views/

It’s kind of like the Cookie Monster bought Arnotts.

The Cookie Monster and Platformer are really just Influencers.
Arnotts on the other hand is a well respected and much loved Australian company.

subsidiary of KKR.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 10:28:20
From: Michael V
ID: 1995012
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Michael V said:

dv said:

GMTA

Greenwich Mean Time, I get. I’m at a loss about the A though.

so you’re asking GMTA then?

(give me the answer)

Probably.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 10:28:58
From: Michael V
ID: 1995015
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Michael V said:

dv said:

GMTA

Greenwich Mean Time, I get. I’m at a loss about the A though.

Give Me The Answer????

That’s what he said.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 10:30:06
From: Michael V
ID: 1995017
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Woodie said:

Michael V said:

Greenwich Mean Time, I get. I’m at a loss about the A though.

Give Me The Answer????

Great minds think alike

Ah, thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 10:31:01
From: Tamb
ID: 1995018
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


dv said:

Woodie said:

Give Me The Answer????

Great minds think alike

Ah, thanks.

42

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 10:34:20
From: Michael V
ID: 1995022
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Twitter CEO Elon Musk had Twitter engineers set up a “special system” to boost his tweets after his post about the Super Bowl got fewer views than a tweet from President Biden, according to a report by Platformer yesterday.

Biden’s tweet supporting the Philadelphia Eagles has 29.1 million views, while Musk’s now-deleted tweet also supporting the Eagles received a mere 9.1 million. Hours after the Eagles’ loss, Musk’s cousin James Musk posted a message in Twitter’s Slack asking anyone “who can make dashboards and write software” to help with “debugging an issue with engagement across the platform,” the report said. James Musk’s Slack message reportedly called the situation one of “high urgency.”

——

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/02/report-musk-had-twitter-engineers-boost-his-tweets-after-biden-got-more-views/

It’s kind of like the Cookie Monster bought Arnotts.

Heh!

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 10:39:43
From: Michael V
ID: 1995025
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


dv said:

Twitter CEO Elon Musk had Twitter engineers set up a “special system” to boost his tweets after his post about the Super Bowl got fewer views than a tweet from President Biden, according to a report by Platformer yesterday.

Biden’s tweet supporting the Philadelphia Eagles has 29.1 million views, while Musk’s now-deleted tweet also supporting the Eagles received a mere 9.1 million. Hours after the Eagles’ loss, Musk’s cousin James Musk posted a message in Twitter’s Slack asking anyone “who can make dashboards and write software” to help with “debugging an issue with engagement across the platform,” the report said. James Musk’s Slack message reportedly called the situation one of “high urgency.”

——

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/02/report-musk-had-twitter-engineers-boost-his-tweets-after-biden-got-more-views/

It’s kind of like the Cookie Monster bought Arnotts.

The Cookie Monster and Platformer are really just Influencers.
Arnotts on the other hand is a well respected and much loved Australian company.

It is American-owned.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 11:01:52
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995039
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Welch R has died.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 11:05:22
From: Cymek
ID: 1995040
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Greetings

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 11:07:17
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995041
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Welch R has died.

She had a good innings.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 11:07:40
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995042
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Greetings

Good morning sirrah.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 11:10:55
From: Tamb
ID: 1995045
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Cymek said:

Greetings

Good morning sirrah.


Arr G’day

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 11:18:59
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995049
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Councils push for state governments to overhaul state laws for containing cats

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 11:42:09
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995056
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Saturn going bespoke

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2023-02-16/hubble-space-telescope-spokes-saturn/101970274

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 11:52:22
From: Woodie
ID: 1995060
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

If nothing else, it’s consistent, hey what but.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 11:55:20
From: Cymek
ID: 1995061
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/livestock-thieves-steal-hundreds-of-sheep-rural-victoria/101982058

Police say they believe 700 sheep stolen from a farm at Logan, 219 kilometres north-west of Melbourne, have probably been taken to New Zealand and sold into prostitution.

Investigators say about $139,000 worth of sheep have disappeared in what appears to be a sophisticated operation involving several trucks and sheepdogs.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 11:58:11
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995063
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/livestock-thieves-steal-hundreds-of-sheep-rural-victoria/101982058

Police say they believe 700 sheep stolen from a farm at Logan, 219 kilometres north-west of Melbourne, have probably been taken to New Zealand and sold into prostitution.

Investigators say about $139,000 worth of sheep have disappeared in what appears to be a sophisticated operation involving several trucks and sheepdogs.

rofl

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:01:37
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1995065
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

flock immunity

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:01:38
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995066
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


If nothing else, it’s consistent, hey what but.


I trust you’re treating your flaars to regular waterings.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:02:09
From: Tamb
ID: 1995067
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


If nothing else, it’s consistent, hey what but.



Ravenshoe:

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:05:19
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995068
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


If nothing else, it’s consistent, hey what but.


Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:09:55
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995069
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Zac Crawley is looking very comfortable after 1 over, he’s 2 not out and has only been dropped once.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:10:34
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995070
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Cymek said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/livestock-thieves-steal-hundreds-of-sheep-rural-victoria/101982058

Police say they believe 700 sheep stolen from a farm at Logan, 219 kilometres north-west of Melbourne, have probably been taken to New Zealand and sold into prostitution.

Investigators say about $139,000 worth of sheep have disappeared in what appears to be a sophisticated operation involving several trucks and sheepdogs.

rofl

they’ll be sheepdogs trials resulting from this, mark my words.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:13:16
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995071
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/livestock-thieves-steal-hundreds-of-sheep-rural-victoria/101982058

Police say they believe 700 sheep stolen from a farm at Logan, 219 kilometres north-west of Melbourne, have probably been taken to New Zealand and sold into prostitution.

Investigators say about $139,000 worth of sheep have disappeared in what appears to be a sophisticated operation involving several trucks and sheepdogs.

:) but I’m sure that if they were taken to NZ, someone would have noticed.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:18:19
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995072
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


roughbarked said:

An interesting clock. The hour hand makes two revolutions per hour, and the minute hand once every two hours.


Sounds like it’s fucked.

Yeah. You got that right. Only it was the description. Not the clock.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:21:10
From: buffy
ID: 1995073
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m back. That took longer than intended. I didn’t know the bank branch (Westpac) has altered hours in Hamilton at the moment. I went for 9.30, but they are open 10.00 to 2.00 at present. Now I have to pack up the chicken drumsticks and wings into small packs for the dogs. Both were on special. Which was good. We are paying our annual health insurance today too. Mr buffy gets a bigger rebate now, because he will turn 70 in April. Didn’t know about that until the insurer informed us.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:21:27
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995074
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

roughbarked said:

An interesting clock. The hour hand makes two revolutions per hour, and the minute hand once every two hours.


Sounds like it’s fucked.

Yeah. You got that right. Only it was the description. Not the clock.

Franklin’s three wheel clock

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:25:35
From: buffy
ID: 1995075
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I’m back. That took longer than intended. I didn’t know the bank branch (Westpac) has altered hours in Hamilton at the moment. I went for 9.30, but they are open 10.00 to 2.00 at present. Now I have to pack up the chicken drumsticks and wings into small packs for the dogs. Both were on special. Which was good. We are paying our annual health insurance today too. Mr buffy gets a bigger rebate now, because he will turn 70 in April. Didn’t know about that until the insurer informed us.

I didn’t realize there are 3 tiers of health insurance rebate. We have been on the middle one until now apparently.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Medicare-and-private-health-insurance/Private-health-insurance-rebate/Income-thresholds-and-rates-for-the-private-health-insurance-rebate/?anchor=Rebaterates1#Rebaterates1

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:25:44
From: Woodie
ID: 1995076
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Woodie said:

If nothing else, it’s consistent, hey what but.


I trust you’re treating your flaars to regular waterings.


Got firtee ate moolies on Choosdee nite, hey what but.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:26:04
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995077
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Sounds like it’s fucked.

Yeah. You got that right. Only it was the description. Not the clock.

Franklin’s three wheel clock

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:27:00
From: Woodie
ID: 1995078
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Woodie said:

If nothing else, it’s consistent, hey what but.



Ravenshoe:

Consistebly consistent.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:27:33
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995079
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

Yeah. You got that right. Only it was the description. Not the clock.

Franklin’s three wheel clock


Fabulous furry freak brothers?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:27:48
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995080
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Interior of doctor’s house, 15th century.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:28:42
From: transition
ID: 1995081
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

home sweet home, car unloaded, sheep fed, some watering happening, vap cooler going

kettle on the flame

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:29:06
From: Woodie
ID: 1995082
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Woodie said:

If nothing else, it’s consistent, hey what but.



Fail. Not consistibly consistent. You’ve got a green bit in there.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:30:34
From: Michael V
ID: 1995083
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Interior of doctor’s house, 15th century.

Looks decidedly dangerous. Wooden backed bench up close to a raging fire.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:35:55
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995084
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


home sweet home, car unloaded, sheep fed, some watering happening, vap cooler going

kettle on the flame

Cup of tea would be nice.

I purchased a packet of these today.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:37:16
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995085
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


roughbarked said:

Woodie said:

If nothing else, it’s consistent, hey what but.



Fail. Not consistibly consistent. You’ve got a green bit in there.

That’s only because they cannot predict the fire danger that far ahead.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:37:56
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995086
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

Interior of doctor’s house, 15th century.

Looks decidedly dangerous. Wooden backed bench up close to a raging fire.

and while wearing long flowing robes

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:40:24
From: buffy
ID: 1995087
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


transition said:

home sweet home, car unloaded, sheep fed, some watering happening, vap cooler going

kettle on the flame

Cup of tea would be nice.

I purchased a packet of these today.


I bought chocolate teddy bears. Darker chocolate on them. And they were half price this week. I almost picked up a packet of mint slice biscuits as well, but decided we don’t need them. The teddies are in the fridge. They taste better cold.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:41:17
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995088
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Rang the Longford GP and a 5th covid booster shot has been added to my doings on Monday’s appointment.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:42:11
From: Cymek
ID: 1995089
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


transition said:

home sweet home, car unloaded, sheep fed, some watering happening, vap cooler going

kettle on the flame

Cup of tea would be nice.

I purchased a packet of these today.


They are nice biscuits

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:42:17
From: transition
ID: 1995090
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


transition said:

home sweet home, car unloaded, sheep fed, some watering happening, vap cooler going

kettle on the flame

Cup of tea would be nice.

I purchased a packet of these today.


not turning gay are ya, master car

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:42:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995091
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Bubblecar said:

transition said:

home sweet home, car unloaded, sheep fed, some watering happening, vap cooler going

kettle on the flame

Cup of tea would be nice.

I purchased a packet of these today.


I bought chocolate teddy bears. Darker chocolate on them. And they were half price this week. I almost picked up a packet of mint slice biscuits as well, but decided we don’t need them. The teddies are in the fridge. They taste better cold.

I was tempted by the Mint Slices too but settled for the Gaietys.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:43:01
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995092
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Bubblecar said:

transition said:

home sweet home, car unloaded, sheep fed, some watering happening, vap cooler going

kettle on the flame

Cup of tea would be nice.

I purchased a packet of these today.


not turning gay are ya, master car

That horse has long bolted.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:44:49
From: transition
ID: 1995093
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


transition said:

Bubblecar said:

Cup of tea would be nice.

I purchased a packet of these today.


not turning gay are ya, master car

That horse has long bolted.

coffee landed

me – we got chocolate have we

lady – yeah there is some

landed

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:46:52
From: transition
ID: 1995095
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Bubblecar said:

transition said:

not turning gay are ya, master car

That horse has long bolted.

coffee landed

me – we got chocolate have we

lady – yeah there is some

landed

old gold dark chocolate cherry ripe

explore ya envy

been confiscated now

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:49:27
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995096
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Start Time:
01:00
Toss:
New Zealand won the toss and decided to field
Venue:
Bay Oval, Tauranga
Officials:
Aleem Dar, Christopher Gaffaney, Rodney Tucker, Christopher Brown, David Boon

Two things.
1. it’s a day/night test and B Boonie must have fallen on hard times and needs a quid.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:52:03
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995097
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Start Time:
01:00
Toss:
New Zealand won the toss and decided to field
Venue:
Bay Oval, Tauranga
Officials:
Aleem Dar, Christopher Gaffaney, Rodney Tucker, Christopher Brown, David Boon

Two things.
1. it’s a day/night test and B Boonie must have fallen on hard times and needs a quid.

The price of beer went up.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:53:23
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995098
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Start Time:
01:00
Toss:
New Zealand won the toss and decided to field
Venue:
Bay Oval, Tauranga
Officials:
Aleem Dar, Christopher Gaffaney, Rodney Tucker, Christopher Brown, David Boon

Two things.
1. it’s a day/night test and B Boonie must have fallen on hard times and needs a quid.

The price of beer went up.

Well spotted.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 12:53:33
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1995099
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Interior of doctor’s house, 15th century.

Le médecin: I’ll need you to provide a specimen in this bottle

Le patient: well, hold it lower, i doubt that i can aim that high.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:00:58
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995101
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

19th century Indian sarod, sister instrument of the sitar.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:01:36
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1995102
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Russia (naturally):

Splash one bukhanka:

https://i.imgur.com/ll8Vc5m.mp4

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:02:03
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1995103
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


19th century Indian sarod, sister instrument of the sitar.

Damn, that’s right purty.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:03:33
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995104
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


19th century Indian sarod, sister instrument of the sitar.

Saw this super beaut African stringed instrument on Spicks and Specks but my hearing missed the name of it.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:05:41
From: dv
ID: 1995106
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Going to teach my daughter and her partner to play 500 so I bought a Queen’s Slipper 500 deck.

The little rules slip looks exactly the same as it did in decks I bought 30 years ago, no update in text or design.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:08:54
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1995107
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

19th century Indian sarod, sister instrument of the sitar.

Saw this super beaut African stringed instrument on Spicks and Specks but my hearing missed the name of it.

The kora?

Amadau Suso

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:09:04
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995108
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Going to teach my daughter and her partner to play 500 so I bought a Queen’s Slipper 500 deck.

The little rules slip looks exactly the same as it did in decks I bought 30 years ago, no update in text or design.


Back in the day when I was a whipper snapper and did have aunties and uncles and stuff. Whenever I was with my aunties or grandma, this is what we played. That and Euchre and Gin Rummy.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:10:00
From: buffy
ID: 1995109
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Lunch report: Morning tea was an iced mocha and a small jam tart, so not much lunch required. I’ve got a cold boiled egg. I might make some French onion dip later and eat some of that with rice crackers.

I’ve just started preparing this for tomorrow. I want the chicken to marinate well.

https://food52.com/recipes/40170-rachel-khoo-s-sticky-malaysian-chicken-with-pineapple-salad

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:10:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995110
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

19th century Indian sarod, sister instrument of the sitar.

Saw this super beaut African stringed instrument on Spicks and Specks but my hearing missed the name of it.

The kora?

Amadau Suso

Spot on. His great grandfather invented the instrument?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:10:18
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1995111
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Going to teach my daughter and her partner to play 500 so I bought a Queen’s Slipper 500 deck.

The little rules slip looks exactly the same as it did in decks I bought 30 years ago, no update in text or design.


The most tiresome people to play with / against are those who continually make misère bids.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:12:10
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995112
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Going to teach my daughter and her partner to play 500 so I bought a Queen’s Slipper 500 deck.

The little rules slip looks exactly the same as it did in decks I bought 30 years ago, no update in text or design.


I was under the impression that open mesere was worth more than 10 no trumps.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:14:57
From: Woodie
ID: 1995113
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

roughbarked said:

Saw this super beaut African stringed instrument on Spicks and Specks but my hearing missed the name of it.

The kora?

Amadau Suso

Spot on. His great grandfather invented the instrument?

Yeah. So they said on the tele.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:16:52
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995114
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


roughbarked said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

The kora?

Amadau Suso

Spot on. His great grandfather invented the instrument?

Yeah. So they said on the tele.

Amanda Suso~Kora is my life

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:19:49
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995115
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

roughbarked said:

Saw this super beaut African stringed instrument on Spicks and Specks but my hearing missed the name of it.

The kora?

Amadau Suso

Spot on. His great grandfather invented the instrument?

Fascinating used as a jazz instrument.
Amadou Suso & Friends

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:25:51
From: dv
ID: 1995116
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Lunch report: Morning tea was an iced mocha and a small jam tart, so not much lunch required. I’ve got a cold boiled egg. I might make some French onion dip later and eat some of that with rice crackers.

I’ve just started preparing this for tomorrow. I want the chicken to marinate well.

https://food52.com/recipes/40170-rachel-khoo-s-sticky-malaysian-chicken-with-pineapple-salad

I think I’m going to fast today to make up for the 6000 kJ dinner.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:26:47
From: dv
ID: 1995117
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


dv said:

Going to teach my daughter and her partner to play 500 so I bought a Queen’s Slipper 500 deck.

The little rules slip looks exactly the same as it did in decks I bought 30 years ago, no update in text or design.


I was under the impression that open mesere was worth more than 10 no trumps.

How much more?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:28:25
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1995118
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


buffy said:

Lunch report: Morning tea was an iced mocha and a small jam tart, so not much lunch required. I’ve got a cold boiled egg. I might make some French onion dip later and eat some of that with rice crackers.

I’ve just started preparing this for tomorrow. I want the chicken to marinate well.

https://food52.com/recipes/40170-rachel-khoo-s-sticky-malaysian-chicken-with-pineapple-salad

I think I’m going to fast today to make up for the 6000 kJ dinner.

Two tablespoons of sesame oil?

You can leave out all of the rest of the ingredients, all you’re going to taste is sesame oil.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:30:51
From: Cymek
ID: 1995119
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Peak Warming Man said:

dv said:

Going to teach my daughter and her partner to play 500 so I bought a Queen’s Slipper 500 deck.

The little rules slip looks exactly the same as it did in decks I bought 30 years ago, no update in text or design.


I was under the impression that open mesere was worth more than 10 no trumps.

How much more?

Surely even one no Trump is a great hand

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:36:17
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995120
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


dv said:

Peak Warming Man said:

I was under the impression that open mesere was worth more than 10 no trumps.

How much more?

Surely even one no Trump is a great hand

Think I made that joke when Trump was campaigning for pres, the first time.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:38:59
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995121
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Peak Warming Man said:

dv said:

Going to teach my daughter and her partner to play 500 so I bought a Queen’s Slipper 500 deck.

The little rules slip looks exactly the same as it did in decks I bought 30 years ago, no update in text or design.


I was under the impression that open mesere was worth more than 10 no trumps.

How much more?

I forget but it was the biggie followed by slam no trumps.
However it’s been a while since I played, over 50 years.
So either I remember wrongly or we played to a different scoring system.
Over.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:52:58
From: ms spock
ID: 1995136
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Did hilarious class with crazy and wild Irish language learners!

They were a hoot!

I met Muggs and Gregory. Real Characters.

There was a guy there whose mother was a nun. He joked that he was her fall from grace!

The very witty discussion of the brutality of the nuns, priests and brothers was totally hilarious! It is amazing the people stayed alive.

Following the way of the Irish may lead to becoming a stand up comedian or a writer of great depth. I will get back to you all on that!

I barely speak enough Irish to be in an advanced class, but doing the extra work will be worth it! But I had accidentally downloaded the answers book so it looked like I knew what I was doing. Then the teacher threw all this language to repeat so he could hear my voice because I didn’t have the right textbook! So I had to say six sentences without being able to see the words! LMAO ROFL I did it! Don’t aske me how! I am not that advanced!

Then I had to do a translation without being able to see the text. Impossible for me but I cheated and looked in the answers book. So I have a lot of vocab to learn before my next class.

Then the teacher gave me some sentences which weren’t in the book, winged and got it right. Still can’t stop laughing!

It was amazing! The Irish diaspora coming home.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:54:26
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995139
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Did hilarious class with crazy and wild Irish language learners!

They were a hoot!

I met Muggs and Gregory. Real Characters.

There was a guy there whose mother was a nun. He joked that he was her fall from grace!

The very witty discussion of the brutality of the nuns, priests and brothers was totally hilarious! It is amazing the people stayed alive.

Following the way of the Irish may lead to becoming a stand up comedian or a writer of great depth. I will get back to you all on that!

I barely speak enough Irish to be in an advanced class, but doing the extra work will be worth it! But I had accidentally downloaded the answers book so it looked like I knew what I was doing. Then the teacher threw all this language to repeat so he could hear my voice because I didn’t have the right textbook! So I had to say six sentences without being able to see the words! LMAO ROFL I did it! Don’t aske me how! I am not that advanced!

Then I had to do a translation without being able to see the text. Impossible for me but I cheated and looked in the answers book. So I have a lot of vocab to learn before my next class.

Then the teacher gave me some sentences which weren’t in the book, winged and got it right. Still can’t stop laughing!

It was amazing! The Irish diaspora coming home.

Were ye drinking loys of guinness?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:57:24
From: ms spock
ID: 1995141
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

Did hilarious class with crazy and wild Irish language learners!

They were a hoot!

I met Muggs and Gregory. Real Characters.

There was a guy there whose mother was a nun. He joked that he was her fall from grace!

The very witty discussion of the brutality of the nuns, priests and brothers was totally hilarious! It is amazing the people stayed alive.

Following the way of the Irish may lead to becoming a stand up comedian or a writer of great depth. I will get back to you all on that!

I barely speak enough Irish to be in an advanced class, but doing the extra work will be worth it! But I had accidentally downloaded the answers book so it looked like I knew what I was doing. Then the teacher threw all this language to repeat so he could hear my voice because I didn’t have the right textbook! So I had to say six sentences without being able to see the words! LMAO ROFL I did it! Don’t aske me how! I am not that advanced!

Then I had to do a translation without being able to see the text. Impossible for me but I cheated and looked in the answers book. So I have a lot of vocab to learn before my next class.

Then the teacher gave me some sentences which weren’t in the book, winged and got it right. Still can’t stop laughing!

It was amazing! The Irish diaspora coming home.

Were ye drinking loys of guinness?

:)

The scary thing is that everyone was cold stone sober!

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 13:59:05
From: buffy
ID: 1995143
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


dv said:

buffy said:

Lunch report: Morning tea was an iced mocha and a small jam tart, so not much lunch required. I’ve got a cold boiled egg. I might make some French onion dip later and eat some of that with rice crackers.

I’ve just started preparing this for tomorrow. I want the chicken to marinate well.

https://food52.com/recipes/40170-rachel-khoo-s-sticky-malaysian-chicken-with-pineapple-salad

I think I’m going to fast today to make up for the 6000 kJ dinner.

Two tablespoons of sesame oil?

You can leave out all of the rest of the ingredients, all you’re going to taste is sesame oil.

I don’t put in as much sesame oil (because I’m not over keen on it) and I cut back on the fish sauce. Because fish sauce + light soy = really salty.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 14:15:33
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995160
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Nearly time for an afternoon nap but first, finish this little bowl of Twisties.

People often wonder why no two Twisties are ever identical.

The answer is because each Twistie is lovingly hand-carved by a master artisan who has dedicated his life to the perfection of this noble tradition, in which each piece is created to be not just unique but “a multiple twist of unique perfection”. And yet each one incorporates the renowned Twelve Principles of Virtue handed down from father to son since long before records began.

A single Twistie can represent many hours of highly skilled work and each is critically assessed by a panel of expert judges before being allowed anywhere near a Twisties packet.

People ought to remember these facts while they’re shovelling them in and thinking “this shit is salt & calorie overload but I can’t stop now.”

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 14:16:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995161
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“Adelaide Writers’ Week defends scheduling author who is critical of Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskyy’:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/adelaide-writers-week-defends-scheduling-susan-abulhawa/101981806

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 14:16:59
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995162
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Nearly time for an afternoon nap but first, finish this little bowl of Twisties.

People often wonder why no two Twisties are ever identical.

The answer is because each Twistie is lovingly hand-carved by a master artisan who has dedicated his life to the perfection of this noble tradition, in which each piece is created to be not just unique but “a multiple twist of unique perfection”. And yet each one incorporates the renowned Twelve Principles of Virtue handed down from father to son since long before records began.

A single Twistie can represent many hours of highly skilled work and each is critically assessed by a panel of expert judges before being allowed anywhere near a Twisties packet.

People ought to remember these facts while they’re shovelling them in and thinking “this shit is salt & calorie overload but I can’t stop now.”

OK. So Guilt complex covered. What’s next?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 14:17:18
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1995163
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Nearly time for an afternoon nap but first, finish this little bowl of Twisties.

Henry
Eating all the Twisties
Henry
He loves them so
Henry
Eating all the Twisties
Henry
He’s right, you know.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 14:17:35
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995164
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Adelaide Writers’ Week defends scheduling author who is critical of Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskyy

Had to fix the link.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 14:18:32
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995166
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Bubblecar said:

Nearly time for an afternoon nap but first, finish this little bowl of Twisties.

Henry
Eating all the Twisties
Henry
He loves them so
Henry
Eating all the Twisties
Henry
He’s right, you know.

Have you ever..
ever felt like this..

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 14:18:37
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1995167
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


“Adelaide Writers’ Week defends scheduling author who is critical of Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskyy’:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/adelaide-writers-week-defends-scheduling-susan-abulhawa/101981806

Well, let’s hear what she has to say.

We can then judge for ourselves if she’s shrewdly pointing out things that we ought to be considering, or if she’s talking out of her arse.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 14:19:57
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995169
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


roughbarked said:

“Adelaide Writers’ Week defends scheduling author who is critical of Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskyy’:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/adelaide-writers-week-defends-scheduling-susan-abulhawa/101981806

Well, let’s hear what she has to say.

We can then judge for ourselves if she’s shrewdly pointing out things that we ought to be considering, or if she’s talking out of her arse.

That’s why I tried to give you the link.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 14:20:14
From: buffy
ID: 1995171
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/working-from-home-the-rules-on-how-you-can-claim-tax-deductions/101984030

Sounds just like I had to do running the business (keeping accurate records). And I know I live in a different world, but…wouldn’t/shouldn’t your hours of work from home be recorded in your employer’s records?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 14:21:35
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995174
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/working-from-home-the-rules-on-how-you-can-claim-tax-deductions/101984030

Sounds just like I had to do running the business (keeping accurate records). And I know I live in a different world, but…wouldn’t/shouldn’t your hours of work from home be recorded in your employer’s records?

Only if you gave them to the employer.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 14:22:53
From: buffy
ID: 1995176
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/working-from-home-the-rules-on-how-you-can-claim-tax-deductions/101984030

Sounds just like I had to do running the business (keeping accurate records). And I know I live in a different world, but…wouldn’t/shouldn’t your hours of work from home be recorded in your employer’s records?

Only if you gave them to the employer.

Well…the employer is paying you for them, if I was the employer I’d want a record of hours worked by my employees. Because the law says I have to have them.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 14:25:53
From: Arts
ID: 1995178
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/working-from-home-the-rules-on-how-you-can-claim-tax-deductions/101984030

Sounds just like I had to do running the business (keeping accurate records). And I know I live in a different world, but…wouldn’t/shouldn’t your hours of work from home be recorded in your employer’s records?

the hours are recorded, but it might be easier for someone to keep them themselves, that way their tax person can calculate use of electricity and water etc… you can claim a lot of that stuff on tax.. also things like home office equipment and resources…

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 14:27:49
From: buffy
ID: 1995181
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


buffy said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/working-from-home-the-rules-on-how-you-can-claim-tax-deductions/101984030

Sounds just like I had to do running the business (keeping accurate records). And I know I live in a different world, but…wouldn’t/shouldn’t your hours of work from home be recorded in your employer’s records?

the hours are recorded, but it might be easier for someone to keep them themselves, that way their tax person can calculate use of electricity and water etc… you can claim a lot of that stuff on tax.. also things like home office equipment and resources…

It would be easier just to record the lot really. Use the “actual cost” method. But if you haven’t done it yourself, you should be able to get a statement from your employer. Because they certainly have to record “Hours and Wages” or whatever it is called these days.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 14:36:12
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995187
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

3 jars of green tomato chutney made. one to eat now and two to chuck away in 2 years time.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 14:41:13
From: buffy
ID: 1995191
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m going off to read for a bit. I’m shredding the 2015-16 financial year papers for the company. I did mine a couple of months ago. I should have done the big lot first!

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 16:05:52
From: transition
ID: 1995201
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

fire down south, some evacuations

wind’s dropped off quite a bit offspring just saying

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 16:17:14
From: transition
ID: 1995204
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


fire down south, some evacuations

wind’s dropped off quite a bit offspring just saying

see the wind down there peaked 63km/h, way above forecast, see why they got so motivated

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 16:19:03
From: dv
ID: 1995205
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Peak Warming Man said:

dv said:

Going to teach my daughter and her partner to play 500 so I bought a Queen’s Slipper 500 deck.

The little rules slip looks exactly the same as it did in decks I bought 30 years ago, no update in text or design.


I was under the impression that open mesere was worth more than 10 no trumps.

How much more?

Well I’m be damned. I don’t think we ever used to award those points.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 16:47:51
From: buffy
ID: 1995208
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/dugald-river-cloncurry-mine-incident-missing-miners/101978262

Apparently they are still down there.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 17:14:07
From: Michael V
ID: 1995211
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Russia (naturally):

Splash one bukhanka:

https://i.imgur.com/ll8Vc5m.mp4

Whoops.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 17:20:26
From: Cymek
ID: 1995212
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/murder-tries-to-escape-maximum-security-prison-disguised-as-a-sheep-c-9776009

Must have very intelligent and keen eyed prisoners officers as I couldn’t tell the difference

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 17:22:49
From: Michael V
ID: 1995213
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/dugald-river-cloncurry-mine-incident-missing-miners/101978262

Apparently they are still down there.

I don’t understand what they were doing on a pillar above an open stope, let alone drilling and driving there.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 17:25:16
From: Michael V
ID: 1995214
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/murder-tries-to-escape-maximum-security-prison-disguised-as-a-sheep-c-9776009

Must have very intelligent and keen eyed prisoners officers as I couldn’t tell the difference

Well I’ll be!

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 17:25:54
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1995215
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Developers of PERC solar technology win 2023 Queen Elizabeth Prize for Engineering.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 17:53:00
From: buffy
ID: 1995217
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Food report: I a m cooking a variation on carbonara, with smokey beef sausages cut up into bits with scissors, instead of the bacon.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 17:56:51
From: Michael V
ID: 1995218
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Food report: I a m cooking a variation on carbonara, with smokey beef sausages cut up into bits with scissors, instead of the bacon.

Did I read incorrectly that you were doing this?

https://food52.com/recipes/40170-rachel-khoo-s-sticky-malaysian-chicken-with-pineapple-salad

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 18:05:15
From: buffy
ID: 1995221
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

Food report: I a m cooking a variation on carbonara, with smokey beef sausages cut up into bits with scissors, instead of the bacon.

Did I read incorrectly that you were doing this?

https://food52.com/recipes/40170-rachel-khoo-s-sticky-malaysian-chicken-with-pineapple-salad

That is for tomorrow. The chicken drumsticks are in the fridge marinating. I like to give them plenty of time when possible.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 18:18:33
From: Michael V
ID: 1995226
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Michael V said:

buffy said:

Food report: I a m cooking a variation on carbonara, with smokey beef sausages cut up into bits with scissors, instead of the bacon.

Did I read incorrectly that you were doing this?

https://food52.com/recipes/40170-rachel-khoo-s-sticky-malaysian-chicken-with-pineapple-salad

That is for tomorrow. The chicken drumsticks are in the fridge marinating. I like to give them plenty of time when possible.

Ah, marinating in the cooking glaze.

I liked the look of the recipe because it didn’t require that. Mind you, I’ll be marinating some pork in Char Siu sauce for Saturday night.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 18:55:06
From: dv
ID: 1995238
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m not advocating for this meme but I’ve seen it so you must too.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 18:56:50
From: buffy
ID: 1995239
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/australia-condemns-israel-over-occupied-west-bank-settlements/101986598

Good.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 18:57:52
From: dv
ID: 1995241
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Getting pretty late in December 2022 now but hey it’s not my job to start threads.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 18:59:33
From: dv
ID: 1995242
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/australia-condemns-israel-over-occupied-west-bank-settlements/101986598

Good.

It’s a damn shame the previous coalition couldn’t iron out their differences. BN is a one trick pony.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 19:08:30
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995244
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Getting pretty late in December 2022 now but hey it’s not my job to start threads.

What were you doing back there?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 19:09:37
From: dv
ID: 1995245
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


dv said:

Getting pretty late in December 2022 now but hey it’s not my job to start threads.

What were you doing back there?

Just sharing a Getup tweet

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 19:09:43
From: transition
ID: 1995246
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

few spots of rain on’t tin roof

don’t get too excited, I won’t

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 19:15:16
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1995249
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


buffy said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/australia-condemns-israel-over-occupied-west-bank-settlements/101986598

Good.

It’s a damn shame the previous coalition couldn’t iron out their differences. BN is a one trick pony.

what do the Israelis say about anglosphere settlement of traditional Aboriginal lands

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 19:41:12
From: buffy
ID: 1995251
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

Michael V said:

Did I read incorrectly that you were doing this?

https://food52.com/recipes/40170-rachel-khoo-s-sticky-malaysian-chicken-with-pineapple-salad

That is for tomorrow. The chicken drumsticks are in the fridge marinating. I like to give them plenty of time when possible.

Ah, marinating in the cooking glaze.

I liked the look of the recipe because it didn’t require that. Mind you, I’ll be marinating some pork in Char Siu sauce for Saturday night.

It’s some years since I made it, and I doubt I marinated it then. So I’m pretty sure it’s fine without the soaking time. Because I liked it enough to type it out and laminate it for my kitchen recipe file.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 19:42:44
From: buffy
ID: 1995252
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


dv said:

buffy said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/australia-condemns-israel-over-occupied-west-bank-settlements/101986598

Good.

It’s a damn shame the previous coalition couldn’t iron out their differences. BN is a one trick pony.

what do the Israelis say about anglosphere settlement of traditional Aboriginal lands

That is what they are doing, isn’t it?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 19:48:59
From: Michael V
ID: 1995254
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Michael V said:

buffy said:

That is for tomorrow. The chicken drumsticks are in the fridge marinating. I like to give them plenty of time when possible.

Ah, marinating in the cooking glaze.

I liked the look of the recipe because it didn’t require that. Mind you, I’ll be marinating some pork in Char Siu sauce for Saturday night.

It’s some years since I made it, and I doubt I marinated it then. So I’m pretty sure it’s fine without the soaking time. Because I liked it enough to type it out and laminate it for my kitchen recipe file.

Did you make any changes?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 19:52:45
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995257
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Guardian
1 h

Raquel Welch·
The American actor has died at the age of 82. In 1966, her appearances in Fantastic Voyage and One Million Years BC, wearing a fur bikini, shot her to stardom. Here we look back at her life and career.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 19:54:31
From: buffy
ID: 1995260
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

Michael V said:

Ah, marinating in the cooking glaze.

I liked the look of the recipe because it didn’t require that. Mind you, I’ll be marinating some pork in Char Siu sauce for Saturday night.

It’s some years since I made it, and I doubt I marinated it then. So I’m pretty sure it’s fine without the soaking time. Because I liked it enough to type it out and laminate it for my kitchen recipe file.

Did you make any changes?

Less sesame oil because I’m not keen on it (and I suspect it should really just be a tsp), and less fish sauce, because fish sauce and light soy makes it really salty. Other than that, I don’t remember changing anything. I do recall wondering how cucumber and fresh pineapple would go – and it was good. I may have upped the garlic a little :) Today I didn’t have a red chile, so I dumped a bit of sweet chilli sauce into the glaze – I figured it was chilli and as it’s got honey in the mix a bit more sweetness wouldn’t matter.

Another meal featuring MV’s ginger!

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 19:54:48
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995261
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


The Guardian
1 h

Raquel Welch·
The American actor has died at the age of 82. In 1966, her appearances in Fantastic Voyage and One Million Years BC, wearing a fur bikini, shot her to stardom. Here we look back at her life and career.

She was my fave at the time. Wasn’t so hot on Sophia Loren or Brigette Bardot.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 19:55:35
From: buffy
ID: 1995262
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

We have some pretendy “rain” trying to happen.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 19:59:34
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995265
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/qld/2023/02/16/wieambilla-shooting-domestic-terrorism/

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 20:01:06
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995266
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/qld/2023/02/16/wieambilla-shooting-domestic-terrorism/

Link

premillennialism?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 20:02:12
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995267
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

The Guardian
1 h

Raquel Welch·
The American actor has died at the age of 82. In 1966, her appearances in Fantastic Voyage and One Million Years BC, wearing a fur bikini, shot her to stardom. Here we look back at her life and career.

She was my fave at the time. Wasn’t so hot on Sophia Loren or Brigette Bardot.

it seems like 2023 isn’t being easy on the old and famous.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 20:36:01
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1995270
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

good evening

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 20:43:30
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1995271
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Farken ‘ell.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 20:46:55
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1995272
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Farken ‘ell.


They probably pre-date Nazi Germany although they might be based on older German imperial uniforms.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 20:58:53
From: ms spock
ID: 1995274
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

monkey skipper said:


good evening

Tráthnóna maith duit (Good Evening Monkey Skipper!)

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 21:01:16
From: ms spock
ID: 1995275
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


The Guardian
1 h

Raquel Welch·
The American actor has died at the age of 82. In 1966, her appearances in Fantastic Voyage and One Million Years BC, wearing a fur bikini, shot her to stardom. Here we look back at her life and career.

Never heard of her…

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 21:06:42
From: ms spock
ID: 1995276
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ChrispenEvan said:

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/qld/2023/02/16/wieambilla-shooting-domestic-terrorism/

Link

premillennialism?

ASIO has been warning about this for over a decade. LNP acted decisively and argued about terminology with ASIO. Sadly with no actual supports or programmes in place. There are no off ramps and processes in place to deradicalise young white nationalists, not like there is for young Muslim men.

Right-wing extremism in Australia

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 21:07:06
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1995277
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


monkey skipper said:

good evening

Tráthnóna maith duit (Good Evening Monkey Skipper!)

Hey Ms Spock!

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 21:13:49
From: ms spock
ID: 1995279
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

monkey skipper said:


ms spock said:

monkey skipper said:

good evening

Tráthnóna maith duit (Good Evening Monkey Skipper!)

Hey Ms Spock!

Dia duit monkey skipper!

How was your day?

How are your grandchildren who are growing up faster than the speed of light going?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 21:15:46
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1995280
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


monkey skipper said:

ms spock said:

Tráthnóna maith duit (Good Evening Monkey Skipper!)

Hey Ms Spock!

Dia duit monkey skipper!

How was your day?

How are your grandchildren who are growing up faster than the speed of light going?

The day was interesting and full of things to do. The grand children are doing well.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 21:16:08
From: ms spock
ID: 1995281
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

monkey skipper said:


ms spock said:

monkey skipper said:

Hey Ms Spock!

Dia duit monkey skipper!

How was your day?

How are your grandchildren who are growing up faster than the speed of light going?

The day was interesting and full of things to do. The grand children are doing well.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 21:34:40
From: furious
ID: 1995283
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

The Guardian
1 h

Raquel Welch·
The American actor has died at the age of 82. In 1966, her appearances in Fantastic Voyage and One Million Years BC, wearing a fur bikini, shot her to stardom. Here we look back at her life and career.

Never heard of her…

  • runs away ****

Those aren’t buoys…

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 23:49:01
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995300
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Hi Bubblecar,

We’re currently preparing your order a160461257 which is booked for the 6:00 AM – 12:00 PM, Friday 17 February, delivery window.

We’re planning to arrive between 9:25 AM and 10:25 AM. If you can’t be there at this time to sign for this order, please give us a call on 1800 455 400 to see if your order can be left unattended at your doorstep.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 23:53:57
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995301
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

i just ate potato gems and coke. totally unnutritious. but enjoyed anyway. shall try harder to nutrition.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2023 23:56:42
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995302
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


i just ate potato gems and coke. totally unnutritious. but enjoyed anyway. shall try harder to nutrition.

I had a lay-me-down at about 3:00pm which turned into over 8 hours sleep, so I’ll be thinking about breakfast soon (having missed dinner).

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 00:40:42
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995315
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Breakfast: going to sample one or two of Wayside Butchery’s beef, jalapeno, sour cream & cheddar sausages.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 00:42:06
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995316
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Breakfast: going to sample one or two of Wayside Butchery’s beef, jalapeno, sour cream & cheddar sausages.

sans waffle

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 00:42:50
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995317
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Breakfast: going to sample one or two of Wayside Butchery’s beef, jalapeno, sour cream & cheddar sausages.

sans waffle

I’m surprised they didn’t congratulate my misplaced post.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 00:59:50
From: Kingy
ID: 1995318
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Just got home from fire training. Most of it was instructions on the use of our new navigation tabs. They will be very useful on the fireground. We are still trying to work out where to fit one on our new light tanker, there is already so much stuff in the cab that there isn’t any room for a new screen.
It’s likely that whatever we decide, will become the new official location for all the new navtabs in the SouthWest.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 01:01:43
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995319
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Just got home from fire training. Most of it was instructions on the use of our new navigation tabs. They will be very useful on the fireground. We are still trying to work out where to fit one on our new light tanker, there is already so much stuff in the cab that there isn’t any room for a new screen.
It’s likely that whatever we decide, will become the new official location for all the new navtabs in the SouthWest.

You may have to take out the ashtray and cup-holder.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 01:06:40
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995320
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Heading for 34 today, which I’d gladly swap for this fellow’s weather.

1928.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 01:06:45
From: dv
ID: 1995321
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Further to my adventures in 500 nostalgia…

The way we used to play, there was an option for a player who successfully bid 6 or 7 to up the bid to 10 once they’ve seen the kitty: they would effectively get 100 extra points. Their opponent would not play but would donate one card (and the declarer would have to discard 4 in order to still have 10 cards). This was called going stag: a different concept of a slam, which involved getting 10 even though you only bid 6 or 7 but involved both partners staying in, and resulted in 250.

This going stag option is not mentioned in the Queen’s Slipper notes.

The WP article includes it as a variation but calls it Slam, as follows:

Slam: If, after picking up the kitty, a player who bid a seven-trick contract (but not over seven and not misère) feels that they could win all ten tricks, they may call for a slam hand. The partner of the player who calls for a slam passes a single card to their partner then folds their hand and does not play. The contractor who called for the slam hand must discard until they have only 10 cards remaining before starting play. The contractor must then win all ten tricks, or lose the point value of the bid, plus 100 points. Because the total value of the slam hand is the same as the value of a bid of eight in the same suit, it is not advantageous for a player to intentionally underbid a hand in order to make a slam bid. For a variation on the Slam rule, see the ‘Variations in score keeping’ section.

Interesting this implies this is not an option if you won a 6 bid.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 01:08:52
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995322
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Further to my adventures in 500 nostalgia…

The way we used to play, there was an option for a player who successfully bid 6 or 7 to up the bid to 10 once they’ve seen the kitty: they would effectively get 100 extra points. Their opponent would not play but would donate one card (and the declarer would have to discard 4 in order to still have 10 cards). This was called going stag: a different concept of a slam, which involved getting 10 even though you only bid 6 or 7 but involved both partners staying in, and resulted in 250.

This going stag option is not mentioned in the Queen’s Slipper notes.

The WP article includes it as a variation but calls it Slam, as follows:

Slam: If, after picking up the kitty, a player who bid a seven-trick contract (but not over seven and not misère) feels that they could win all ten tricks, they may call for a slam hand. The partner of the player who calls for a slam passes a single card to their partner then folds their hand and does not play. The contractor who called for the slam hand must discard until they have only 10 cards remaining before starting play. The contractor must then win all ten tricks, or lose the point value of the bid, plus 100 points. Because the total value of the slam hand is the same as the value of a bid of eight in the same suit, it is not advantageous for a player to intentionally underbid a hand in order to make a slam bid. For a variation on the Slam rule, see the ‘Variations in score keeping’ section.

Interesting this implies this is not an option if you won a 6 bid.

Don’t recall ever playing that game.

We were more a cribbage and canasta clan.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 01:15:36
From: furious
ID: 1995323
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Just got home from fire training. Most of it was instructions on the use of our new navigation tabs. They will be very useful on the fireground. We are still trying to work out where to fit one on our new light tanker, there is already so much stuff in the cab that there isn’t any room for a new screen.
It’s likely that whatever we decide, will become the new official location for all the new navtabs in the SouthWest.

Do they already have a HUD? Why not use a HUD?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 01:15:51
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995324
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


dv said:

Further to my adventures in 500 nostalgia…

The way we used to play, there was an option for a player who successfully bid 6 or 7 to up the bid to 10 once they’ve seen the kitty: they would effectively get 100 extra points. Their opponent would not play but would donate one card (and the declarer would have to discard 4 in order to still have 10 cards). This was called going stag: a different concept of a slam, which involved getting 10 even though you only bid 6 or 7 but involved both partners staying in, and resulted in 250.

This going stag option is not mentioned in the Queen’s Slipper notes.

The WP article includes it as a variation but calls it Slam, as follows:

Slam: If, after picking up the kitty, a player who bid a seven-trick contract (but not over seven and not misère) feels that they could win all ten tricks, they may call for a slam hand. The partner of the player who calls for a slam passes a single card to their partner then folds their hand and does not play. The contractor who called for the slam hand must discard until they have only 10 cards remaining before starting play. The contractor must then win all ten tricks, or lose the point value of the bid, plus 100 points. Because the total value of the slam hand is the same as the value of a bid of eight in the same suit, it is not advantageous for a player to intentionally underbid a hand in order to make a slam bid. For a variation on the Slam rule, see the ‘Variations in score keeping’ section.

Interesting this implies this is not an option if you won a 6 bid.

Don’t recall ever playing that game.

We were more a cribbage and canasta clan.

I think I would need another crash course to remember cribbage. although i do remember 15 2, 15 4, and a pair is 6 and one for his boot.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 01:18:05
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995325
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Breakfast: going to sample one or two of Wayside Butchery’s beef, jalapeno, sour cream & cheddar sausages.

Verdict: As with other Wayside efforts I’ve sampled, if they’d been a little more sparing with the salt they’d have a Silver Medal snorker.

As it is I can only award a Bronze.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 01:18:45
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995326
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

dv said:

Further to my adventures in 500 nostalgia…

The way we used to play, there was an option for a player who successfully bid 6 or 7 to up the bid to 10 once they’ve seen the kitty: they would effectively get 100 extra points. Their opponent would not play but would donate one card (and the declarer would have to discard 4 in order to still have 10 cards). This was called going stag: a different concept of a slam, which involved getting 10 even though you only bid 6 or 7 but involved both partners staying in, and resulted in 250.

This going stag option is not mentioned in the Queen’s Slipper notes.

The WP article includes it as a variation but calls it Slam, as follows:

Slam: If, after picking up the kitty, a player who bid a seven-trick contract (but not over seven and not misère) feels that they could win all ten tricks, they may call for a slam hand. The partner of the player who calls for a slam passes a single card to their partner then folds their hand and does not play. The contractor who called for the slam hand must discard until they have only 10 cards remaining before starting play. The contractor must then win all ten tricks, or lose the point value of the bid, plus 100 points. Because the total value of the slam hand is the same as the value of a bid of eight in the same suit, it is not advantageous for a player to intentionally underbid a hand in order to make a slam bid. For a variation on the Slam rule, see the ‘Variations in score keeping’ section.

Interesting this implies this is not an option if you won a 6 bid.

Don’t recall ever playing that game.

We were more a cribbage and canasta clan.

I think I would need another crash course to remember cribbage. although i do remember 15 2, 15 4, and a pair is 6 and one for his boot.

Yes I can only dimly recall the rules of these games.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 01:26:38
From: Kingy
ID: 1995327
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

furious said:


Kingy said:

Just got home from fire training. Most of it was instructions on the use of our new navigation tabs. They will be very useful on the fireground. We are still trying to work out where to fit one on our new light tanker, there is already so much stuff in the cab that there isn’t any room for a new screen.
It’s likely that whatever we decide, will become the new official location for all the new navtabs in the SouthWest.

Do they already have a HUD? Why not use a HUD?

Almost invisible in direct sunlight. It was one of my options, it is still on the table.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 01:43:52
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995330
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cover of Das Motorad, April 1954. Sidecar Special Issue, 88 pages.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 03:23:46
From: dv
ID: 1995333
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://nft.fnpw.org.au/

What?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 04:00:04
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995334
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


https://nft.fnpw.org.au/

What?

You need to Connect Wallet to get the details.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 05:59:03
From: buffy
ID: 1995335
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 20 degrees and still dark. We are forecast a mostly sunny 34 today.

One of the “advantages” of going early to bed is waking up early. Mr buffy is just heading in to Hamilton to do his therapy pool thing. I’ll do my stretches and weights in a minute. I think the unaccustomed pushing Auntie Annie in the wheelchair the other day has tightened my lower back muscles. Or it could be the digging in the veggie patch on the same day. Most likely the digging. I’ll do some weeding out of ivy seedlings (there are still millions of them here) and go with Mr buffy to the bakery when he goes for breakfast after the pool. I expect the rest of the day is going to be inside stuff. Plenty of paper shredding still to be done. Do some more plant identifying. Do some moth embroidery. Maybe even make up the tunic top I cut out a couple of weeks ago.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 05:59:50
From: buffy
ID: 1995336
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


https://nft.fnpw.org.au/

What?

That reads like a scam.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 06:12:42
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995337
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


https://nft.fnpw.org.au/

What?

Seems like a pile of codswallop.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 06:27:06
From: Michael V
ID: 1995338
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning everybody.

It’s partly cloudy. The lower clouds, illuminated by the rising sun are quite pretty. It’s almost calm, and a chilly 17.5°C at 95% RH. BoM forecasts a top of 28°C and no chance of rain. Now the upper clouds are colouring up. Lovely sky.

Agenda: As usual; cleaning, sorting through Mum’s stuff, doing stuff to help The Patient rehabilitate.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 06:30:49
From: Michael V
ID: 1995339
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Michael V said:

buffy said:

It’s some years since I made it, and I doubt I marinated it then. So I’m pretty sure it’s fine without the soaking time. Because I liked it enough to type it out and laminate it for my kitchen recipe file.

Did you make any changes?

Less sesame oil because I’m not keen on it (and I suspect it should really just be a tsp), and less fish sauce, because fish sauce and light soy makes it really salty. Other than that, I don’t remember changing anything. I do recall wondering how cucumber and fresh pineapple would go – and it was good. I may have upped the garlic a little :) Today I didn’t have a red chile, so I dumped a bit of sweet chilli sauce into the glaze – I figured it was chilli and as it’s got honey in the mix a bit more sweetness wouldn’t matter.

Another meal featuring MV’s ginger!

:)

Thanks for that insight.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 06:31:22
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995340
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning. 22.6 °C at present and will get hotter.
Plans for the day are keep hoses runniing.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 06:35:05
From: buffy
ID: 1995341
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Morning. 22.6 °C at present and will get hotter.
Plans for the day are keep hoses runniing.

When it gets light enough I’ll move the low use sprinklers to new spots. If I keep moving them around I can keep the grass green around the house. I won’t turn them on for a while. I prefer to only use them when the sun is on the solar panels so we use our own power for the bore pump.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 06:41:04
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995342
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Heading for 34 this end, our hottest day this summer. Luckily I don’t have to go anywhere.

Coles delivery will be between 9:25 and 10:25.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 06:47:38
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995343
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Couldn’t even guess half the answers in the quiz this week.
5/10

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 06:52:20
From: buffy
ID: 1995344
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Couldn’t even guess half the answers in the quiz this week.
5/10

4/10. One I thought I knew was wrong. A couple of my guesses were right. So basically, I didn’t know much except about fashion and esky clinging.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 07:00:22
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995345
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

Couldn’t even guess half the answers in the quiz this week.
5/10

4/10. One I thought I knew was wrong. A couple of my guesses were right. So basically, I didn’t know much except about fashion and esky clinging.

Surprised myself by getting the sport. Had nil concept of the fashion stuff.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 07:05:58
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995346
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

An Australian trial hopes to tackle the “staggering” amount of food waste generated by apartment dwellers by trialling the use of dehydrator machines that turn food scraps into fertiliser.
EcoGuardians chief executive Helen Steel said the machines aimed to create a circular solution for apartment dwellers.

“We’re collecting the output, refining it, and giving it back to the community , to use in their gardens,” she said.

“What we’d love to see is garden to fork and back to garden.

“What we want to create is a circular solution.”

link

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 07:07:57
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995347
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

US President Joe Biden says three unidentified objects recently shot down by US fighter jets don’t appear to have been used for spying, and likely belonged to private companies or researchers — not China.

“We don’t yet know exactly what these three objects were, but nothing right now suggests they were related to China’s spy balloon program, or that they were surveillance vehicles from any other country,” he told a press conference this morning. “The intelligence community’s current assessment is that these three objects were most likely balloons tied to private companies, recreation or research institutions studying weather, or conducting other scientific research.” ABC live
Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 07:10:15
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995348
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The CSIRO’s Jon Whittle says people shouldn’t believe everything AI chatbots tell them.

Well there you go.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 07:46:12
From: transition
ID: 1995353
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

hearing a plover over the dam
‘larms probably a fox getting ‘round
then’t honeyeater in inner yard
now’s a blackbird making its sound
distant hear truck or’s car can
over go galah squawking quite loud
butcherbird long way away far
Mr Tinnitus as usual do me hounds
a captive audience to ‘im I am
raven laughs hah hah hah profound
peewees few of ‘em blah blah

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 08:02:53
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995356
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A theory has emerged from the amateur radio community about what exactly a US jet shot down over Canada’s Yukon territory.

The unidentified object, one of three downed by American planes in recent days, may have been a “pico” balloon equipped with a GPS module and a solar panel that was launched from Illinois last October, and in the middle of circumnavigating the earth for the seventh time, according to this report on hobbyist website RTL-SDR.

As the article makes clear, the details of the K9YO-15 amateur radio balloon and US and Canadian authorities’ description of the object encountered on 11 February sure seem to line up:

The launch blog post indicates that the K9YO-15 balloon was flying a silver mylar 32” sphere SAG balloon which appears to be this one from balloons.online. Unlike latex or rubber weather balloons which inflate and stretch as they rise into lower atmospheric pressures, these mylar balloons can’t stretch, so their fully inflated ground size will be the same as their size at high altitudes, meaning the pico balloon won’t get much bigger than 32”. The payload was a GPS module, Arduino, SI5351 used as a WSPR and APRS transmitter and a solar panel, all together weighing 16.4 grams. A pentagon memo notes that the object shot down over Canada was a “small metallic balloon with a tethered payload” which fits the description of the pico balloon exactly.

The K9YO-15 balloon ceased all WSPR telemetry transmissions while flying just below Alaska since Feb 11 00:18 UTC (just before sunset in Alaska when the solar panels would stop working).

By using NOAA wind models and the last known location by Alaska, K9YO-15 was projected to have been over Yukon when the US Air Force shot down the unknown balloon object at Feb 11 20:41 UTC (3:41 PM EST / 1:41 PM Yukon time according to Canadian Defense Minister Anand). Reports put the altitude of the shot down object at approximately 40,000ft (~12000 meters), which matches the projected ~11500 meters of K9YO-15. Based on the previous days transmission times, it is suspected that if it were operational, the balloon would have begun transmitting again sometime later in the Yukon afternoon when the sun was stronger, but no transmissions have been seen.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 08:09:38
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995357
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


A theory has emerged from the amateur radio community about what exactly a US jet shot down over Canada’s Yukon territory.

The unidentified object, one of three downed by American planes in recent days, may have been a “pico” balloon equipped with a GPS module and a solar panel that was launched from Illinois last October, and in the middle of circumnavigating the earth for the seventh time, according to this report on hobbyist website RTL-SDR.

As the article makes clear, the details of the K9YO-15 amateur radio balloon and US and Canadian authorities’ description of the object encountered on 11 February sure seem to line up:

The launch blog post indicates that the K9YO-15 balloon was flying a silver mylar 32” sphere SAG balloon which appears to be this one from balloons.online. Unlike latex or rubber weather balloons which inflate and stretch as they rise into lower atmospheric pressures, these mylar balloons can’t stretch, so their fully inflated ground size will be the same as their size at high altitudes, meaning the pico balloon won’t get much bigger than 32”. The payload was a GPS module, Arduino, SI5351 used as a WSPR and APRS transmitter and a solar panel, all together weighing 16.4 grams. A pentagon memo notes that the object shot down over Canada was a “small metallic balloon with a tethered payload” which fits the description of the pico balloon exactly.

The K9YO-15 balloon ceased all WSPR telemetry transmissions while flying just below Alaska since Feb 11 00:18 UTC (just before sunset in Alaska when the solar panels would stop working).

By using NOAA wind models and the last known location by Alaska, K9YO-15 was projected to have been over Yukon when the US Air Force shot down the unknown balloon object at Feb 11 20:41 UTC (3:41 PM EST / 1:41 PM Yukon time according to Canadian Defense Minister Anand). Reports put the altitude of the shot down object at approximately 40,000ft (~12000 meters), which matches the projected ~11500 meters of K9YO-15. Based on the previous days transmission times, it is suspected that if it were operational, the balloon would have begun transmitting again sometime later in the Yukon afternoon when the sun was stronger, but no transmissions have been seen.

Own goal, lol

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 08:12:08
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995358
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


ChrispenEvan said:

A theory has emerged from the amateur radio community about what exactly a US jet shot down over Canada’s Yukon territory.

The unidentified object, one of three downed by American planes in recent days, may have been a “pico” balloon equipped with a GPS module and a solar panel that was launched from Illinois last October, and in the middle of circumnavigating the earth for the seventh time, according to this report on hobbyist website RTL-SDR.

As the article makes clear, the details of the K9YO-15 amateur radio balloon and US and Canadian authorities’ description of the object encountered on 11 February sure seem to line up:

The launch blog post indicates that the K9YO-15 balloon was flying a silver mylar 32” sphere SAG balloon which appears to be this one from balloons.online. Unlike latex or rubber weather balloons which inflate and stretch as they rise into lower atmospheric pressures, these mylar balloons can’t stretch, so their fully inflated ground size will be the same as their size at high altitudes, meaning the pico balloon won’t get much bigger than 32”. The payload was a GPS module, Arduino, SI5351 used as a WSPR and APRS transmitter and a solar panel, all together weighing 16.4 grams. A pentagon memo notes that the object shot down over Canada was a “small metallic balloon with a tethered payload” which fits the description of the pico balloon exactly.

The K9YO-15 balloon ceased all WSPR telemetry transmissions while flying just below Alaska since Feb 11 00:18 UTC (just before sunset in Alaska when the solar panels would stop working).

By using NOAA wind models and the last known location by Alaska, K9YO-15 was projected to have been over Yukon when the US Air Force shot down the unknown balloon object at Feb 11 20:41 UTC (3:41 PM EST / 1:41 PM Yukon time according to Canadian Defense Minister Anand). Reports put the altitude of the shot down object at approximately 40,000ft (~12000 meters), which matches the projected ~11500 meters of K9YO-15. Based on the previous days transmission times, it is suspected that if it were operational, the balloon would have begun transmitting again sometime later in the Yukon afternoon when the sun was stronger, but no transmissions have been seen.

Own goal, lol

You would think that the authorities in this day and age would know everything that’s up there instead of BANDIT BANDIT SCRAMBLE SCRAMBLE

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 08:16:00
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995360
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Peak Warming Man said:

ChrispenEvan said:

A theory has emerged from the amateur radio community about what exactly a US jet shot down over Canada’s Yukon territory.

The unidentified object, one of three downed by American planes in recent days, may have been a “pico” balloon equipped with a GPS module and a solar panel that was launched from Illinois last October, and in the middle of circumnavigating the earth for the seventh time, according to this report on hobbyist website RTL-SDR.

As the article makes clear, the details of the K9YO-15 amateur radio balloon and US and Canadian authorities’ description of the object encountered on 11 February sure seem to line up:

The launch blog post indicates that the K9YO-15 balloon was flying a silver mylar 32” sphere SAG balloon which appears to be this one from balloons.online. Unlike latex or rubber weather balloons which inflate and stretch as they rise into lower atmospheric pressures, these mylar balloons can’t stretch, so their fully inflated ground size will be the same as their size at high altitudes, meaning the pico balloon won’t get much bigger than 32”. The payload was a GPS module, Arduino, SI5351 used as a WSPR and APRS transmitter and a solar panel, all together weighing 16.4 grams. A pentagon memo notes that the object shot down over Canada was a “small metallic balloon with a tethered payload” which fits the description of the pico balloon exactly.

The K9YO-15 balloon ceased all WSPR telemetry transmissions while flying just below Alaska since Feb 11 00:18 UTC (just before sunset in Alaska when the solar panels would stop working).

By using NOAA wind models and the last known location by Alaska, K9YO-15 was projected to have been over Yukon when the US Air Force shot down the unknown balloon object at Feb 11 20:41 UTC (3:41 PM EST / 1:41 PM Yukon time according to Canadian Defense Minister Anand). Reports put the altitude of the shot down object at approximately 40,000ft (~12000 meters), which matches the projected ~11500 meters of K9YO-15. Based on the previous days transmission times, it is suspected that if it were operational, the balloon would have begun transmitting again sometime later in the Yukon afternoon when the sun was stronger, but no transmissions have been seen.

Own goal, lol

You would think that the authorities in this day and age would know everything that’s up there instead of BANDIT BANDIT SCRAMBLE SCRAMBLE

Only if they are informed of the object.
They only found these three smaller ones by tweaking up their equipment.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 08:17:51
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995361
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Small mammal camera trap image identification guide – Gippsland, Grampians, Otways

104.8Mb download

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 08:49:00
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995362
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Own goal, lol

You would think that the authorities in this day and age would know everything that’s up there instead of BANDIT BANDIT SCRAMBLE SCRAMBLE

Only if they are informed of the object.
They only found these three smaller ones by tweaking up their equipment.

K9YO is the callsign of an American ham.

Link

about PICO balloons

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 08:50:58
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995363
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

You would think that the authorities in this day and age would know everything that’s up there instead of BANDIT BANDIT SCRAMBLE SCRAMBLE

Only if they are informed of the object.
They only found these three smaller ones by tweaking up their equipment.

K9YO is the callsign of an American ham.

Link

about PICO balloons

Link

So they should have known then.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 09:01:36
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995369
Subject: re: Chat February 2023


Spotted it. Sitting there. Went back inside and got the camera, I walked all around it takig images and though it noticed me it didn’t move.
Took the camera back iinside and came out to finish whatever I had beein doing. It was gone. In a matter of twenty seconds. I’d thought it must have been ill but apparently it was probably just digesting a recent meal?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 09:30:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995374
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

No email from Coles yet headed We need to talk about your shopping, so I don’t know if anything has been substituted.

Little delivery truck will be here soon. I’d better put some trousers on.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 09:40:21
From: Michael V
ID: 1995376
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


A theory has emerged from the amateur radio community about what exactly a US jet shot down over Canada’s Yukon territory.

The unidentified object, one of three downed by American planes in recent days, may have been a “pico” balloon equipped with a GPS module and a solar panel that was launched from Illinois last October, and in the middle of circumnavigating the earth for the seventh time, according to this report on hobbyist website RTL-SDR.

As the article makes clear, the details of the K9YO-15 amateur radio balloon and US and Canadian authorities’ description of the object encountered on 11 February sure seem to line up:

The launch blog post indicates that the K9YO-15 balloon was flying a silver mylar 32” sphere SAG balloon which appears to be this one from balloons.online. Unlike latex or rubber weather balloons which inflate and stretch as they rise into lower atmospheric pressures, these mylar balloons can’t stretch, so their fully inflated ground size will be the same as their size at high altitudes, meaning the pico balloon won’t get much bigger than 32”. The payload was a GPS module, Arduino, SI5351 used as a WSPR and APRS transmitter and a solar panel, all together weighing 16.4 grams. A pentagon memo notes that the object shot down over Canada was a “small metallic balloon with a tethered payload” which fits the description of the pico balloon exactly.

The K9YO-15 balloon ceased all WSPR telemetry transmissions while flying just below Alaska since Feb 11 00:18 UTC (just before sunset in Alaska when the solar panels would stop working).

By using NOAA wind models and the last known location by Alaska, K9YO-15 was projected to have been over Yukon when the US Air Force shot down the unknown balloon object at Feb 11 20:41 UTC (3:41 PM EST / 1:41 PM Yukon time according to Canadian Defense Minister Anand). Reports put the altitude of the shot down object at approximately 40,000ft (~12000 meters), which matches the projected ~11500 meters of K9YO-15. Based on the previous days transmission times, it is suspected that if it were operational, the balloon would have begun transmitting again sometime later in the Yukon afternoon when the sun was stronger, but no transmissions have been seen.

Sounds plausible.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 09:41:27
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995378
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Sidecars in those early days were designed to hurl the passenger as far as possible in the event of a sudden stop, but the centre example allowed you to sacrifice a child first.

1910.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 09:44:20
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995379
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Rather badly retouched snap, but it’s an impressive hothouse sidecar. You could grow cucumbers in that.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 09:44:57
From: Michael V
ID: 1995380
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


No email from Coles yet headed We need to talk about your shopping, so I don’t know if anything has been substituted.

Little delivery truck will be here soon. I’d better put some trousers on.

TMI

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 09:46:46
From: Tamb
ID: 1995381
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Rather badly retouched snap, but it’s an impressive hothouse sidecar. You could grow cucumbers in that.


It’s British. The sidecar would be pleasantly snug.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 09:50:15
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995382
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Coles truck is here.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 09:50:26
From: Michael V
ID: 1995383
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Sidecars in those early days were designed to hurl the passenger as far as possible in the event of a sudden stop, but the centre example allowed you to sacrifice a child first.

1910.


You might notice that there is no front brake on any of those motorcycles. The only sudden stop would be a collision. Modern helmets would be a good thing though. Luckily in 1910, motorcycles had very little power, and with the addition of a sidecar with extra passenger, were quite slow.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:00:35
From: Woodie
ID: 1995384
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


No email from Coles yet headed We need to talk about your shopping, so I don’t know if anything has been substituted.

Little delivery truck will be here soon. I’d better put some trousers on.

…… and a hat. Can’t go greeting complete strangers that knock on the front door without an appropriate hat, Parpyone.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:02:07
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995385
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Bubblecar said:

No email from Coles yet headed We need to talk about your shopping, so I don’t know if anything has been substituted.

Little delivery truck will be here soon. I’d better put some trousers on.

…… and a hat. Can’t go greeting complete strangers that knock on the front door without an appropriate hat, Parpyone.

Don’t have to wear a hat in your own home. It’s the visitors who should wear hats.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:03:49
From: Tamb
ID: 1995386
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Woodie said:

Bubblecar said:

No email from Coles yet headed We need to talk about your shopping, so I don’t know if anything has been substituted.

Little delivery truck will be here soon. I’d better put some trousers on.

…… and a hat. Can’t go greeting complete strangers that knock on the front door without an appropriate hat, Parpyone.

Don’t have to wear a hat in your own home. It’s the visitors who should wear hats.

And, if male, remove them when you open the door.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:04:10
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995388
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Anyway the delivery fellow was a pleasant and slightly camp man.

“Nice and warm”, he said until I suggested it’ll be getting far too warm and he agreed.

“Used to love the hot weather as a child, but now I hate it,” he confessed.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:07:33
From: Woodie
ID: 1995389
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Bubblecar said:

Woodie said:

…… and a hat. Can’t go greeting complete strangers that knock on the front door without an appropriate hat, Parpyone.

Don’t have to wear a hat in your own home. It’s the visitors who should wear hats.

And, if male, remove them when you open the door.

…… and in the presence of ladies.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:08:33
From: Woodie
ID: 1995390
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Anyway the delivery fellow was a pleasant and slightly camp man.

“Nice and warm”, he said until I suggested it’ll be getting far too warm and he agreed.

“Used to love the hot weather as a child, but now I hate it,” he confessed.

Did he have a hat?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:10:08
From: Tamb
ID: 1995391
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Tamb said:

Bubblecar said:

Don’t have to wear a hat in your own home. It’s the visitors who should wear hats.

And, if male, remove them when you open the door.

…… and in the presence of ladies.

Especially nuns.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:12:02
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995393
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Only anomaly I’ve noticed so far is that the bottle of drain cleaner is smaller than the one I ordered.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:13:04
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995394
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Bubblecar said:

Anyway the delivery fellow was a pleasant and slightly camp man.

“Nice and warm”, he said until I suggested it’ll be getting far too warm and he agreed.

“Used to love the hot weather as a child, but now I hate it,” he confessed.

Did he have a hat?

No. Probably should have had an officer’s cap with COLES letters on the front.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:14:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995395
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Fact checking Pauline Hanson’s claim about a race-based rent tax

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:19:48
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995396
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bipartisan support pledged in NSW to ban gay conversion therapy

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:21:25
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995397
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Damn. Two items completely missing. Some minced turkey which doesn’t really matter.

But the huge load of mushrooms I was going to pickle :/

I’ll have to visit the IGA over the weekend and get them from there.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:23:52
From: Tamb
ID: 1995398
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Damn. Two items completely missing. Some minced turkey which doesn’t really matter.

But the huge load of mushrooms I was going to pickle :/

I’ll have to visit the IGA over the weekend and get them from there.


Any reason given?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:25:25
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1995400
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Bubblecar said:

Damn. Two items completely missing. Some minced turkey which doesn’t really matter.

But the huge load of mushrooms I was going to pickle :/

I’ll have to visit the IGA over the weekend and get them from there.


Any reason given?

Not mush room inside probably.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:28:27
From: Tamb
ID: 1995401
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Tamb said:

Bubblecar said:

Damn. Two items completely missing. Some minced turkey which doesn’t really matter.

But the huge load of mushrooms I was going to pickle :/

I’ll have to visit the IGA over the weekend and get them from there.


Any reason given?

Not mush room inside probably.


Bubbles must be wearing gorblimey trousers.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:30:18
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995402
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Bubblecar said:

Damn. Two items completely missing. Some minced turkey which doesn’t really matter.

But the huge load of mushrooms I was going to pickle :/

I’ll have to visit the IGA over the weekend and get them from there.


Any reason given?

They usually send an email about these things but I haven’t received one yet.

Sometimes they don’t bother.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:31:37
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995403
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Tamb said:

Bubblecar said:

Damn. Two items completely missing. Some minced turkey which doesn’t really matter.

But the huge load of mushrooms I was going to pickle :/

I’ll have to visit the IGA over the weekend and get them from there.


Any reason given?

They usually send an email about these things but I haven’t received one yet.

Sometimes they don’t bother.

it’s been packed in someone else’s order. you might have to email mr car.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:39:13
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995405
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Tamb said:

Any reason given?

They usually send an email about these things but I haven’t received one yet.

Sometimes they don’t bother.

it’s been packed in someone else’s order. you might have to email mr car.

You might be right. The difference between their initial quoted price for my order and how much I was billed is $7.48.

The mushrooms and turkey should have accounted for about $14.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:43:41
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995406
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’ll give them another couple hours to send me an email.

They never include an invoice with the delivery, which seems a bit remiss.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:53:35
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995409
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

They usually send an email about these things but I haven’t received one yet.

Sometimes they don’t bother.

it’s been packed in someone else’s order. you might have to email mr car.

You might be right. The difference between their initial quoted price for my order and how much I was billed is $7.48.

The mushrooms and turkey should have accounted for about $14.

The other week the immediately younger sister opened the front door of her Pontville place to find somebody else’s huge Coles order outside.

She never does supermarket shopping online. Anyway she called Coles and they said never mind, you can keep that stuff, we’ll refund the original shopper.

She was thinking of the person waiting for their groceries so insisted they come and collect it, which they eventually did.

Some of the cold items might have gone off though (she did manage to cram them in her already loaded fridge while waiting, but she doesn’t know how long they were outside).

Anyway when a Coles truck did turn up to collect it, the driver said he had no idea who made that blunder, it certainly wasn’t him.

But later they reviewed their security camera footage and saw it was indeed that same fellow who’d delivered it.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 10:58:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995410
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

it’s been packed in someone else’s order. you might have to email mr car.

You might be right. The difference between their initial quoted price for my order and how much I was billed is $7.48.

The mushrooms and turkey should have accounted for about $14.

The other week the immediately younger sister opened the front door of her Pontville place to find somebody else’s huge Coles order outside.

She never does supermarket shopping online. Anyway she called Coles and they said never mind, you can keep that stuff, we’ll refund the original shopper.

She was thinking of the person waiting for their groceries so insisted they come and collect it, which they eventually did.

Some of the cold items might have gone off though (she did manage to cram them in her already loaded fridge while waiting, but she doesn’t know how long they were outside).

Anyway when a Coles truck did turn up to collect it, the driver said he had no idea who made that blunder, it certainly wasn’t him.

But later they reviewed their security camera footage and saw it was indeed that same fellow who’d delivered it.

Pants on fire.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:01:58
From: Woodie
ID: 1995411
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Damn. Two items completely missing. Some minced turkey which doesn’t really matter.

But the huge load of mushrooms I was going to pickle :/

I’ll have to visit the IGA over the weekend and get them from there.

It’s outrageous. I’m absolutely appalled. The Reserve Bank Governor must resign, and a report will be prepared for the coroner.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:05:03
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995412
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Bubblecar said:

Damn. Two items completely missing. Some minced turkey which doesn’t really matter.

But the huge load of mushrooms I was going to pickle :/

I’ll have to visit the IGA over the weekend and get them from there.

It’s outrageous. I’m absolutely appalled. The Reserve Bank Governor must resign, and a report will be prepared for the coroner.

I paid for four peaches at Aldi but when I got home, I only had three. Who should resign over this?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:06:24
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995413
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

US safety regulators pressure Tesla into recalling nearly 363,000 vehicles with its Full Self-Driving system because it misbehaves around intersections and doesn’t always follow speed limits.

Unpredictable

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:06:35
From: Cymek
ID: 1995414
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Greetings

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:07:08
From: Tamb
ID: 1995415
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Woodie said:

Bubblecar said:

Damn. Two items completely missing. Some minced turkey which doesn’t really matter.

But the huge load of mushrooms I was going to pickle :/

I’ll have to visit the IGA over the weekend and get them from there.

It’s outrageous. I’m absolutely appalled. The Reserve Bank Governor must resign, and a report will be prepared for the coroner.

I paid for four peaches at Aldi but when I got home, I only had three. Who should resign over this?

You of course. It was a self inflicted wound.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:08:20
From: Tamb
ID: 1995416
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Greetings

G’day

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:08:57
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995417
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


roughbarked said:

Woodie said:

It’s outrageous. I’m absolutely appalled. The Reserve Bank Governor must resign, and a report will be prepared for the coroner.

I paid for four peaches at Aldi but when I got home, I only had three. Who should resign over this?

You of course. It was a self inflicted wound.

There was no loose peach in the trolley. It had to have stayed on the Aldi counter.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:10:43
From: Tamb
ID: 1995418
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tamb said:

roughbarked said:

I paid for four peaches at Aldi but when I got home, I only had three. Who should resign over this?

You of course. It was a self inflicted wound.

There was no loose peach in the trolley. It had to have stayed on the Aldi counter.


A likely story.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:13:45
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995419
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Miserable looking motorcycle touring family. Maybe they’d just had enough of it after 150,000 miles.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:13:51
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995420
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


roughbarked said:

Tamb said:

You of course. It was a self inflicted wound.

There was no loose peach in the trolley. It had to have stayed on the Aldi counter.


A likely story.

Too late now. I’ve eaten all three.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:16:29
From: Cymek
ID: 1995421
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Miserable looking motorcycle touring family. Maybe they’d just had enough of it after 150,000 miles.


Can’t imagine it would be comfortable combined with what passed for roads and suspension back then

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:16:47
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995422
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Miserable looking motorcycle touring family. Maybe they’d just had enough of it after 150,000 miles.


Those things had lousy shockies.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:18:09
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995423
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Bubblecar said:

Miserable looking motorcycle touring family. Maybe they’d just had enough of it after 150,000 miles.


Can’t imagine it would be comfortable combined with what passed for roads and suspension back then

Can imagine they would have liked to have got out and stretched their legs.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:18:18
From: esselte
ID: 1995424
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tamb said:

roughbarked said:

I paid for four peaches at Aldi but when I got home, I only had three. Who should resign over this?

You of course. It was a self inflicted wound.

There was no loose peach in the trolley. It had to have stayed on the Aldi counter.

Peaches naturally prefer to group together in odd numbers, otherwise people confuse them for pears.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:18:46
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995425
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Miserable looking motorcycle touring family. Maybe they’d just had enough of it after 150,000 miles.


Here they are at camp, not looking any more cheerful. Dad took his typewriter on the epic journey.

Mom is holding a box of Post Toasties breakfast cereal.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:19:02
From: Woodie
ID: 1995426
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Woodie said:

Bubblecar said:

Damn. Two items completely missing. Some minced turkey which doesn’t really matter.

But the huge load of mushrooms I was going to pickle :/

I’ll have to visit the IGA over the weekend and get them from there.

It’s outrageous. I’m absolutely appalled. The Reserve Bank Governor must resign, and a report will be prepared for the coroner.

I paid for four peaches at Aldi but when I got home, I only had three. Who should resign over this?

Whoever ate the missing one.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:19:14
From: Tamb
ID: 1995427
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tamb said:

roughbarked said:

There was no loose peach in the trolley. It had to have stayed on the Aldi counter.


A likely story.

Too late now. I’ve eaten all three.

Destruction of evidence. An indictable offence.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:20:31
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995428
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

esselte said:


roughbarked said:

Tamb said:

You of course. It was a self inflicted wound.

There was no loose peach in the trolley. It had to have stayed on the Aldi counter.

Peaches naturally prefer to group together in odd numbers, otherwise people confuse them for pears.

I got peaches, pears and prunes in my Coles order. I’ll have some in a fruit salad later with ice cream.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:21:15
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995429
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

esselte said:


roughbarked said:

Tamb said:

You of course. It was a self inflicted wound.

There was no loose peach in the trolley. It had to have stayed on the Aldi counter.

Peaches naturally prefer to group together in odd numbers, otherwise people confuse them for pears.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:22:16
From: buffy
ID: 1995430
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

some here will find this interesting.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-17/tesla-recalls-full-self-driving-to-fix-unsafe-actions/101988590

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:22:24
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995431
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

esselte said:


roughbarked said:

Tamb said:

You of course. It was a self inflicted wound.

There was no loose peach in the trolley. It had to have stayed on the Aldi counter.

Peaches naturally prefer to group together in odd numbers, otherwise people confuse them for pears.


The four pears did remain together.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:23:20
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995432
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


some here will find this interesting.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-17/tesla-recalls-full-self-driving-to-fix-unsafe-actions/101988590

I did. https://tokyo3.org/forums/holiday/posts/1995413/

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:24:22
From: Tamb
ID: 1995433
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


esselte said:

roughbarked said:

There was no loose peach in the trolley. It had to have stayed on the Aldi counter.

Peaches naturally prefer to group together in odd numbers, otherwise people confuse them for pears.


The four pears did remain together.

4 x pear = ate

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:26:43
From: Michael V
ID: 1995434
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Tamb said:

Bubblecar said:

Damn. Two items completely missing. Some minced turkey which doesn’t really matter.

But the huge load of mushrooms I was going to pickle :/

I’ll have to visit the IGA over the weekend and get them from there.


Any reason given?

Not mush room inside probably.

Groan.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:33:49
From: Michael V
ID: 1995442
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Miserable looking motorcycle touring family. Maybe they’d just had enough of it after 150,000 miles.


Ha!

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:34:26
From: Michael V
ID: 1995443
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

esselte said:


roughbarked said:

Tamb said:

You of course. It was a self inflicted wound.

There was no loose peach in the trolley. It had to have stayed on the Aldi counter.

Peaches naturally prefer to group together in odd numbers, otherwise people confuse them for pears.

Groan.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:35:25
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995445
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Motorcycles fitted with skis in lieu of front and sidecar wheels. Wonder what the steering was like.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:36:51
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995446
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Probably some amateuer deer shooter mistook his moving image as a deer

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:37:51
From: Michael V
ID: 1995447
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


roughbarked said:

esselte said:

Peaches naturally prefer to group together in odd numbers, otherwise people confuse them for pears.


The four pears did remain together.

4 x pear = ate

Groan, again.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:40:56
From: Michael V
ID: 1995448
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Motorcycles fitted with skis in lieu of front and sidecar wheels. Wonder what the steering was like.


Probably OK. Modern snowmobiles use similar twin-ski steering.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:42:17
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995449
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

James Wilson and Francis Flood crossed Africa on this Triumph combination in the late 1920s, only the second vehicle to traverse the continent (first was a car).

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:43:46
From: ms spock
ID: 1995450
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Fáilte romhat isteach! Welcome to one and all!

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:44:43
From: Michael V
ID: 1995451
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

Motorcycles fitted with skis in lieu of front and sidecar wheels. Wonder what the steering was like.


Probably OK. Modern snowmobiles use similar twin-ski steering.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:47:29
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995453
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

Fáilte romhat isteach! Welcome to one and all!

Habari ms spock.

(Habari = Swahili hello)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:48:44
From: Michael V
ID: 1995454
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

Motorcycles fitted with skis in lieu of front and sidecar wheels. Wonder what the steering was like.


Probably OK. Modern snowmobiles use similar twin-ski steering.


Includes photos of vintage snowmobiles and a movie of racing in 1979:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowmobile

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:54:39
From: buffy
ID: 1995460
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I wasn’t expecting to see mushrooms at this time of year. I went to get some bricks off the Big Stack of Bricks and found these. It’s very protected and doesn’t get any sun, but it’s not exactly sopping wet up there. I think they are Chlorophyllum of some sort. I’ll put it into Fungimap and see if anyone IDs it.

They smell of mushroom, but I won’t be eating them.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 11:58:30
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995461
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Thinking I’ll do a cooked lunch of tagliatelle with garlic prawns, tomatoes, basil, chilli, white wine etc.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 12:01:53
From: buffy
ID: 1995463
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Thinking I’ll do a cooked lunch of tagliatelle with garlic prawns, tomatoes, basil, chilli, white wine etc.

I’ve still got some well marinated tomato and onion salad in the fridge. And a chunk of Devon. So a sammich of those, I think.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 12:02:42
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995464
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I wasn’t expecting to see mushrooms at this time of year. I went to get some bricks off the Big Stack of Bricks and found these. It’s very protected and doesn’t get any sun, but it’s not exactly sopping wet up there. I think they are Chlorophyllum of some sort. I’ll put it into Fungimap and see if anyone IDs it.

They smell of mushroom, but I won’t be eating them.

Probably shaggy parasols.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 12:05:30
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995465
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I wasn’t expecting to see mushrooms at this time of year. I went to get some bricks off the Big Stack of Bricks and found these. It’s very protected and doesn’t get any sun, but it’s not exactly sopping wet up there. I think they are Chlorophyllum of some sort. I’ll put it into Fungimap and see if anyone IDs it.

They smell of mushroom, but I won’t be eating them.

Chlorophyllum brunneum

From my Flickr:
The shaggy parasol is popularly praised as a choice edible mushroom. However it contains toxins which can cause gastric upsets when eaten raw or undercooked, and some individuals show a strong allergic response even after cooking.

Furthermore, young shaggy parasols look identical to the poisonous (the mushroom that causes the most poisonings in North America yearly). Checking the spore print is essential as C. molybdites’ print is green (older specimens have slightly green gills). As a result, this mushroom is not recommended for inexperienced hunters.

from Wiki/Shaggy_parasol

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 12:07:12
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995466
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

I wasn’t expecting to see mushrooms at this time of year. I went to get some bricks off the Big Stack of Bricks and found these. It’s very protected and doesn’t get any sun, but it’s not exactly sopping wet up there. I think they are Chlorophyllum of some sort. I’ll put it into Fungimap and see if anyone IDs it.

They smell of mushroom, but I won’t be eating them.

Chlorophyllum brunneum

From my Flickr:
The shaggy parasol is popularly praised as a choice edible mushroom. However it contains toxins which can cause gastric upsets when eaten raw or undercooked, and some individuals show a strong allergic response even after cooking.

Furthermore, young shaggy parasols look identical to the poisonous (the mushroom that causes the most poisonings in North America yearly). Checking the spore print is essential as C. molybdites’ print is green (older specimens have slightly green gills). As a result, this mushroom is not recommended for inexperienced hunters.

from Wiki/Shaggy_parasol

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roughbarked/4691773127/in/album-72157624106289007/

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 12:10:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995467
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

1970s, UK, judging by the Reliant Regal 3-wheeled van in the background.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 12:13:58
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995468
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


1970s, UK, judging by the Reliant Regal 3-wheeled van in the background.

It could even be John Entwhistle?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Entwistle
Rigor Mortis Sets In

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 12:33:22
From: buffy
ID: 1995471
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I picked white flesh nectarines from Auntie Annie’s tree a couple of days ago. Just et one. And then another one. They are truly delish. Better than my white fleshed peaches this year, and generally I looove them. I will have to go and get some more nectarines this evening because I know a couple of other acquaintances of Auntie Annie’s now know they are ripe!

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 12:41:06
From: buffy
ID: 1995472
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

It is presently 30 degrees in the shade at the back door. (86 in American). Considerably hotter as you move out into the sun.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 12:45:29
From: dv
ID: 1995473
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

With regard to monsters under the bed…

or most of history, people slept on the ground, perhaps on some straw or skins. Even after they invented a proper floor, they almost all slept on the floor or on a very slim layer on the floor. In the 1st millennium BC some elite folks began to have elevated wooden or metal framed beds but even up to a few hundred years ago, the commonest thing was to be sleeping very close to the ground.
Now, most modern beds are designed so there’s not really room underneath for a substantial monster.

So I think there was just a narrow window in history where kids had worries about monsters under the bed. Thanks for attending my TED talk.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 12:46:29
From: buffy
ID: 1995474
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Oh, and we have a fire North of us, but it’s just an advice. And the wind, which was coming from the North this morning has moved around to the West. So no big deal. I did fill the fire buckets around the verandah again this morning.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 12:50:14
From: Cymek
ID: 1995477
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:

With regard to monsters under the bed…

or most of history, people slept on the ground, perhaps on some straw or skins. Even after they invented a proper floor, they almost all slept on the floor or on a very slim layer on the floor. In the 1st millennium BC some elite folks began to have elevated wooden or metal framed beds but even up to a few hundred years ago, the commonest thing was to be sleeping very close to the ground.
Now, most modern beds are designed so there’s not really room underneath for a substantial monster.

So I think there was just a narrow window in history where kids had worries about monsters under the bed. Thanks for attending my TED talk.

Wardrobes and roof space are still a problem though, aren’t they ?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 12:58:27
From: Arts
ID: 1995478
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:

With regard to monsters under the bed…

or most of history, people slept on the ground, perhaps on some straw or skins. Even after they invented a proper floor, they almost all slept on the floor or on a very slim layer on the floor. In the 1st millennium BC some elite folks began to have elevated wooden or metal framed beds but even up to a few hundred years ago, the commonest thing was to be sleeping very close to the ground.
Now, most modern beds are designed so there’s not really room underneath for a substantial monster.

So I think there was just a narrow window in history where kids had worries about monsters under the bed. Thanks for attending my TED talk.

assuming monsters to be big is your first error…

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 12:59:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995480
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


dv said:

With regard to monsters under the bed…

or most of history, people slept on the ground, perhaps on some straw or skins. Even after they invented a proper floor, they almost all slept on the floor or on a very slim layer on the floor. In the 1st millennium BC some elite folks began to have elevated wooden or metal framed beds but even up to a few hundred years ago, the commonest thing was to be sleeping very close to the ground.
Now, most modern beds are designed so there’s not really room underneath for a substantial monster.

So I think there was just a narrow window in history where kids had worries about monsters under the bed. Thanks for attending my TED talk.

assuming monsters to be big is your first error…

This.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 13:02:41
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995483
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Thinking I’ll do a cooked lunch of tagliatelle with garlic prawns, tomatoes, basil, chilli, white wine etc.

Verdict: nommy. I added smoked mussels, sliced olives, tomato paste, and fresh parsley along with the fresh basil.

Another big serve left for this evening.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 13:05:31
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995487
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:

With regard to monsters under the bed…

or most of history, people slept on the ground, perhaps on some straw or skins. Even after they invented a proper floor, they almost all slept on the floor or on a very slim layer on the floor. In the 1st millennium BC some elite folks began to have elevated wooden or metal framed beds but even up to a few hundred years ago, the commonest thing was to be sleeping very close to the ground.
Now, most modern beds are designed so there’s not really room underneath for a substantial monster.

So I think there was just a narrow window in history where kids had worries about monsters under the bed. Thanks for attending my TED talk.

Plenty of room under my 19th century bed.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 13:10:05
From: Tamb
ID: 1995489
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


ms spock said:

Fáilte romhat isteach! Welcome to one and all!

Habari ms spock.

(Habari = Swahili hello)

Hoe gaan dit met jou ms?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 13:14:51
From: Tamb
ID: 1995491
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:

With regard to monsters under the bed…

or most of history, people slept on the ground, perhaps on some straw or skins. Even after they invented a proper floor, they almost all slept on the floor or on a very slim layer on the floor. In the 1st millennium BC some elite folks began to have elevated wooden or metal framed beds but even up to a few hundred years ago, the commonest thing was to be sleeping very close to the ground.
Now, most modern beds are designed so there’s not really room underneath for a substantial monster.

So I think there was just a narrow window in history where kids had worries about monsters under the bed. Thanks for attending my TED talk.

A Rough Scaled snake can fit under most beds.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 13:52:15
From: dv
ID: 1995500
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Funny name, Blennerhassett. Kind of sounds German but it seems to be only common in Ireland and northern England.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 13:55:14
From: Tamb
ID: 1995502
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Funny name, Blennerhassett. Kind of sounds German but it seems to be only common in Ireland and northern England.

The Blennerhassett family is an English and Anglo-Irish noble family which has been involved in the politics of the Britain and Ireland since the fourteenth century. The male line of the family is extinct in Britain.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 14:10:51
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995506
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

She later appeared in a number of films:

Gertrude W. Hoffmann’s first Hollywood role was playing Mattie in Before Dawn that premiered on August 4, 1933. She would go on to have a thirty-year career as a character actor appearing in a number of movies and television shows. Among her credits are such films as Alfred Hitchcock’s Foreign Correspondent, which was nominated for Best Picture Oscar in 1941, as well as The File on Thelma Jordon (1950), Caged (1950), and The War of the Worlds (1953). She played Mrs. Odetts in the 1950s sitcom My Little Margie and made her final performance in an episode of the sitcom Car 54, Where Are You? that aired in 1963.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_Hoffmann_(actress)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 14:11:23
From: Michael V
ID: 1995507
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Thinking I’ll do a cooked lunch of tagliatelle with garlic prawns, tomatoes, basil, chilli, white wine etc.

Verdict: nommy. I added smoked mussels, sliced olives, tomato paste, and fresh parsley along with the fresh basil.

Another big serve left for this evening.

Sounds nice.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 14:12:27
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995508
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Thinking I’ll do a cooked lunch of tagliatelle with garlic prawns, tomatoes, basil, chilli, white wine etc.

Verdict: nommy. I added smoked mussels, sliced olives, tomato paste, and fresh parsley along with the fresh basil.

Another big serve left for this evening.

Sounds nice.

:)

Sounds delicious.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 14:15:32
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995509
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

Verdict: nommy. I added smoked mussels, sliced olives, tomato paste, and fresh parsley along with the fresh basil.

Another big serve left for this evening.

Sounds nice.

:)

Sounds delicious.

Was indeed. Should be just as nice cold.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 14:17:17
From: Michael V
ID: 1995510
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


dv said:

With regard to monsters under the bed…

or most of history, people slept on the ground, perhaps on some straw or skins. Even after they invented a proper floor, they almost all slept on the floor or on a very slim layer on the floor. In the 1st millennium BC some elite folks began to have elevated wooden or metal framed beds but even up to a few hundred years ago, the commonest thing was to be sleeping very close to the ground.
Now, most modern beds are designed so there’s not really room underneath for a substantial monster.

So I think there was just a narrow window in history where kids had worries about monsters under the bed. Thanks for attending my TED talk.

A Rough Scaled snake can fit under most beds.

And they are nasty, vicious, highly venomous bastards. They will attack if a person just happens to be nearby.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 14:19:12
From: Tamb
ID: 1995511
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Tamb said:

dv said:

With regard to monsters under the bed…

or most of history, people slept on the ground, perhaps on some straw or skins. Even after they invented a proper floor, they almost all slept on the floor or on a very slim layer on the floor. In the 1st millennium BC some elite folks began to have elevated wooden or metal framed beds but even up to a few hundred years ago, the commonest thing was to be sleeping very close to the ground.
Now, most modern beds are designed so there’s not really room underneath for a substantial monster.

So I think there was just a narrow window in history where kids had worries about monsters under the bed. Thanks for attending my TED talk.

A Rough Scaled snake can fit under most beds.

And they are nasty, vicious, highly venomous bastards. They will attack if a person just happens to be nearby.


Yes indeed. One of the few snakes who’d rather attack than retreat.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 14:19:25
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995512
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Strong hot winds blowing here today. Luckily only a few fires here and there which all seem to be contained so far.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 14:30:54
From: Michael V
ID: 1995514
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


She later appeared in a number of films:

Gertrude W. Hoffmann’s first Hollywood role was playing Mattie in Before Dawn that premiered on August 4, 1933. She would go on to have a thirty-year career as a character actor appearing in a number of movies and television shows. Among her credits are such films as Alfred Hitchcock’s Foreign Correspondent, which was nominated for Best Picture Oscar in 1941, as well as The File on Thelma Jordon (1950), Caged (1950), and The War of the Worlds (1953). She played Mrs. Odetts in the 1950s sitcom My Little Margie and made her final performance in an episode of the sitcom Car 54, Where Are You? that aired in 1963.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_Hoffmann_(actress)


My earliest memory is looking out of Dad’s sidecar window at a small mountain near Wagga, called “The Rock”.

https://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/the-rock-nsw

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 14:35:36
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995515
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Michael V said:

Tamb said:

A Rough Scaled snake can fit under most beds.

And they are nasty, vicious, highly venomous bastards. They will attack if a person just happens to be nearby.


Yes indeed. One of the few snakes who’d rather attack than retreat.

They had a show on the BBC wireless last night about snakes.
They are doing research using camels instead of horses to produce antivenin, apparently it is much better

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 14:39:38
From: Tamb
ID: 1995516
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tamb said:

Michael V said:

And they are nasty, vicious, highly venomous bastards. They will attack if a person just happens to be nearby.


Yes indeed. One of the few snakes who’d rather attack than retreat.

They had a show on the BBC wireless last night about snakes.
They are doing research using camels instead of horses to produce antivenin, apparently it is much better


Bigger animal. More bang for your buck.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 14:44:38
From: buffy
ID: 1995517
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tamb said:

Yes indeed. One of the few snakes who’d rather attack than retreat.

They had a show on the BBC wireless last night about snakes.
They are doing research using camels instead of horses to produce antivenin, apparently it is much better


Bigger animal. More bang for your buck.

Antivenom.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 14:45:57
From: Tamb
ID: 1995518
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Tamb said:

Peak Warming Man said:

They had a show on the BBC wireless last night about snakes.
They are doing research using camels instead of horses to produce antivenin, apparently it is much better


Bigger animal. More bang for your buck.

Antivenom.


That’s what I meant. More antivenom per cycle.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 14:55:58
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1995520
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

She later appeared in a number of films:

Gertrude W. Hoffmann’s first Hollywood role was playing Mattie in Before Dawn that premiered on August 4, 1933. She would go on to have a thirty-year career as a character actor appearing in a number of movies and television shows. Among her credits are such films as Alfred Hitchcock’s Foreign Correspondent, which was nominated for Best Picture Oscar in 1941, as well as The File on Thelma Jordon (1950), Caged (1950), and The War of the Worlds (1953). She played Mrs. Odetts in the 1950s sitcom My Little Margie and made her final performance in an episode of the sitcom Car 54, Where Are You? that aired in 1963.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_Hoffmann_(actress)


My earliest memory is looking out of Dad’s sidecar window at a small mountain near Wagga, called “The Rock”.

https://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/the-rock-nsw

and you’ve been looking at rocks ever since.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 15:03:04
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995521
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Mercury
The son of infamous criminal Chopper Read has made a bid for freedom in court after being hit with multiple firearms, drugs and driving charges.

Charles Vincent Read, 23, was denied bail in Hobart Magistrates Court on Friday morning.

In a previous statement, Tasmania Police said officers charged Read with counts of aggravated evade police, dangerous driving, stealing, possession of a loaded firearm, other firearms and drugs charges.

At about 10.55pm on Wednesday, police responded to several reports of a white Toyota Corolla driving dangerously on Sixth Ave in New Norfolk.

The white Corolla was spiked on Boyer Rd, Bridgewater and a short time later officers found the vehicle abandoned in the Pontville Cemetery.

Police found ammunition and a “relatively large quantity of drugs”, which officers say are “believed to be ice”.

When police searched the area they found a man who they allege was the driver of the Toyota. A further investigation led police to find “a number” of firearms and a further quantity of drugs.

Read was remanded in custody and his matter will next be mentioned in March.
https://www.themercury.com.au/…/8667f17572f580abdbf2c81…

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 15:06:46
From: Cymek
ID: 1995523
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

She later appeared in a number of films:

Gertrude W. Hoffmann’s first Hollywood role was playing Mattie in Before Dawn that premiered on August 4, 1933. She would go on to have a thirty-year career as a character actor appearing in a number of movies and television shows. Among her credits are such films as Alfred Hitchcock’s Foreign Correspondent, which was nominated for Best Picture Oscar in 1941, as well as The File on Thelma Jordon (1950), Caged (1950), and The War of the Worlds (1953). She played Mrs. Odetts in the 1950s sitcom My Little Margie and made her final performance in an episode of the sitcom Car 54, Where Are You? that aired in 1963.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_Hoffmann_(actress)


My earliest memory is looking out of Dad’s sidecar window at a small mountain near Wagga, called “The Rock”.

https://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/the-rock-nsw

and you’ve been looking at rocks ever since.

I always think of the motorbike and sidecar ridden on George and Mildred with a very unimpressed Mildred

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 15:15:40
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1995525
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:

Arts said:

dv said:

With regard to monsters under the bed…

or most of history, people slept on the ground, perhaps on some straw or skins. Even after they invented a proper floor, they almost all slept on the floor or on a very slim layer on the floor. In the 1st millennium BC some elite folks began to have elevated wooden or metal framed beds but even up to a few hundred years ago, the commonest thing was to be sleeping very close to the ground.
Now, most modern beds are designed so there’s not really room underneath for a substantial monster.

So I think there was just a narrow window in history where kids had worries about monsters under the bed. Thanks for attending my TED talk.

assuming monsters to be big is your first error…

This.

nobody ever used hammocks

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 15:18:17
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995526
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

She later appeared in a number of films:

Gertrude W. Hoffmann’s first Hollywood role was playing Mattie in Before Dawn that premiered on August 4, 1933. She would go on to have a thirty-year career as a character actor appearing in a number of movies and television shows. Among her credits are such films as Alfred Hitchcock’s Foreign Correspondent, which was nominated for Best Picture Oscar in 1941, as well as The File on Thelma Jordon (1950), Caged (1950), and The War of the Worlds (1953). She played Mrs. Odetts in the 1950s sitcom My Little Margie and made her final performance in an episode of the sitcom Car 54, Where Are You? that aired in 1963.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_Hoffmann_(actress)


My earliest memory is looking out of Dad’s sidecar window at a small mountain near Wagga, called “The Rock”.

https://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/the-rock-nsw

I’ve climed that rock.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 15:18:40
From: Cymek
ID: 1995527
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

Arts said:

assuming monsters to be big is your first error…

This.

nobody ever used hammocks

Under the bed could also be a portal exit and not the actual hiding place of the monsters

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 15:19:44
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1995528
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

This.

nobody ever used hammocks

Under the bed could also be a portal exit and not the actual hiding place of the monsters

good point the basement andor caves could be under the floorbed

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 15:21:56
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995530
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

Cymek said:

SCIENCE said:

nobody ever used hammocks

Under the bed could also be a portal exit and not the actual hiding place of the monsters

good point the basement andor caves could be under the floorbed

Anyone heard of screw worms?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 15:27:07
From: Cymek
ID: 1995531
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


SCIENCE said:

Cymek said:

Under the bed could also be a portal exit and not the actual hiding place of the monsters

good point the basement andor caves could be under the floorbed

Anyone heard of screw worms?

Ripley and Newt hid under a bed and it didn’t even slow the facehuggers down

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 15:39:00
From: Michael V
ID: 1995536
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Michael V said:

Tamb said:

A Rough Scaled snake can fit under most beds.

And they are nasty, vicious, highly venomous bastards. They will attack if a person just happens to be nearby.


Yes indeed. One of the few snakes who’d rather attack than retreat.

Yes.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 15:45:57
From: Michael V
ID: 1995541
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tamb said:

Michael V said:

And they are nasty, vicious, highly venomous bastards. They will attack if a person just happens to be nearby.


Yes indeed. One of the few snakes who’d rather attack than retreat.

They had a show on the BBC wireless last night about snakes.
They are doing research using camels instead of horses to produce antivenin, apparently it is much better

https://icinfo.vet.ohio-state.edu/content/antivenin-camels-be-tested-africa

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5396233/

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 15:47:01
From: Michael V
ID: 1995542
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

She later appeared in a number of films:

Gertrude W. Hoffmann’s first Hollywood role was playing Mattie in Before Dawn that premiered on August 4, 1933. She would go on to have a thirty-year career as a character actor appearing in a number of movies and television shows. Among her credits are such films as Alfred Hitchcock’s Foreign Correspondent, which was nominated for Best Picture Oscar in 1941, as well as The File on Thelma Jordon (1950), Caged (1950), and The War of the Worlds (1953). She played Mrs. Odetts in the 1950s sitcom My Little Margie and made her final performance in an episode of the sitcom Car 54, Where Are You? that aired in 1963.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_Hoffmann_(actress)


My earliest memory is looking out of Dad’s sidecar window at a small mountain near Wagga, called “The Rock”.

https://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/the-rock-nsw

and you’ve been looking at rocks ever since.

That’s for sure!

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 15:52:17
From: Michael V
ID: 1995547
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

She later appeared in a number of films:

Gertrude W. Hoffmann’s first Hollywood role was playing Mattie in Before Dawn that premiered on August 4, 1933. She would go on to have a thirty-year career as a character actor appearing in a number of movies and television shows. Among her credits are such films as Alfred Hitchcock’s Foreign Correspondent, which was nominated for Best Picture Oscar in 1941, as well as The File on Thelma Jordon (1950), Caged (1950), and The War of the Worlds (1953). She played Mrs. Odetts in the 1950s sitcom My Little Margie and made her final performance in an episode of the sitcom Car 54, Where Are You? that aired in 1963.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_Hoffmann_(actress)


My earliest memory is looking out of Dad’s sidecar window at a small mountain near Wagga, called “The Rock”.

https://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/the-rock-nsw

I’ve climed that rock.

Me too, as a young kid. Quite a walk.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:00:47
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995548
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

My earliest memory is looking out of Dad’s sidecar window at a small mountain near Wagga, called “The Rock”.

https://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/the-rock-nsw

I’ve climed that rock.

Me too, as a young kid. Quite a walk.

Wouldn’t do it today. It is 40 degrees with a hot wind from the north west.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:10:56
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995550
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

FNDC unfolding here, feel free to partake.

Wish I could sing like Geoffrey:

Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu – Wiyathul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8-YMpYbRqY

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:12:56
From: Cymek
ID: 1995551
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


FNDC unfolding here, feel free to partake.

Wish I could sing like Geoffrey:

Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu – Wiyathul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8-YMpYbRqY

Your style is more death metal isn’t it

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:13:47
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995552
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Bubblecar said:

FNDC unfolding here, feel free to partake.

Wish I could sing like Geoffrey:

Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu – Wiyathul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8-YMpYbRqY

Your style is more death metal isn’t it

As it happens, no.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:16:07
From: Kingy
ID: 1995554
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

Cymek said:

SCIENCE said:

nobody ever used hammocks

Under the bed could also be a portal exit and not the actual hiding place of the monsters

good point the basement andor caves could be under the floorbed

When I was in agricultural college, the trapdoor to access the basement was literally under my bed.
We stole a few mattresses, pillows and blankets etc and set up a speakeasy down there. The teachers had no idea why we would turn up for class at 7am all bleary eyed and nod off during class.

It wasn’t unusual for someone to climb out from under my bed at midnight. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:17:22
From: Cymek
ID: 1995555
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Cymek said:

Bubblecar said:

FNDC unfolding here, feel free to partake.

Wish I could sing like Geoffrey:

Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu – Wiyathul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8-YMpYbRqY

Your style is more death metal isn’t it

As it happens, no.

Bubblecar ?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:20:44
From: dv
ID: 1995557
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:24:58
From: btm
ID: 1995560
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Was feeling a bit “off” last week, with dizzy spells and balance issues, so my GP did some blood tests (he thought it was an inner ear inflammation, but wanted to rule out anything more serious. Almost everything was normal, but vit. D was down, and BGL was up (9.4 mmol/L; reference maximum is 5.4 mmol/L), but no sugar was in my urine (sample was taken at the same time the blood was taken.) He says that doesn’t make sense, but has taken more blood for a HbA1c test.The balance and dizziness issues have gone away.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:26:38
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995561
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


Was feeling a bit “off” last week, with dizzy spells and balance issues, so my GP did some blood tests (he thought it was an inner ear inflammation, but wanted to rule out anything more serious. Almost everything was normal, but vit. D was down, and BGL was up (9.4 mmol/L; reference maximum is 5.4 mmol/L), but no sugar was in my urine (sample was taken at the same time the blood was taken.) He says that doesn’t make sense, but has taken more blood for a HbA1c test.The balance and dizziness issues have gone away.

Odd indeed.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:29:18
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995564
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


Was feeling a bit “off” last week, with dizzy spells and balance issues, so my GP did some blood tests (he thought it was an inner ear inflammation, but wanted to rule out anything more serious. Almost everything was normal, but vit. D was down, and BGL was up (9.4 mmol/L; reference maximum is 5.4 mmol/L), but no sugar was in my urine (sample was taken at the same time the blood was taken.) He says that doesn’t make sense, but has taken more blood for a HbA1c test.The balance and dizziness issues have gone away.

BPPV?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:31:17
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1995565
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


A theory has emerged from the amateur radio community about what exactly a US jet shot down over Canada’s Yukon territory.

The unidentified object, one of three downed by American planes in recent days, may have been a “pico” balloon equipped with a GPS module and a solar panel that was launched from Illinois last October, and in the middle of circumnavigating the earth for the seventh time, according to this report on hobbyist website RTL-SDR.

As the article makes clear, the details of the K9YO-15 amateur radio balloon and US and Canadian authorities’ description of the object encountered on 11 February sure seem to line up:

The launch blog post indicates that the K9YO-15 balloon was flying a silver mylar 32” sphere SAG balloon which appears to be this one from balloons.online. Unlike latex or rubber weather balloons which inflate and stretch as they rise into lower atmospheric pressures, these mylar balloons can’t stretch, so their fully inflated ground size will be the same as their size at high altitudes, meaning the pico balloon won’t get much bigger than 32”. The payload was a GPS module, Arduino, SI5351 used as a WSPR and APRS transmitter and a solar panel, all together weighing 16.4 grams. A pentagon memo notes that the object shot down over Canada was a “small metallic balloon with a tethered payload” which fits the description of the pico balloon exactly.

The K9YO-15 balloon ceased all WSPR telemetry transmissions while flying just below Alaska since Feb 11 00:18 UTC (just before sunset in Alaska when the solar panels would stop working).

By using NOAA wind models and the last known location by Alaska, K9YO-15 was projected to have been over Yukon when the US Air Force shot down the unknown balloon object at Feb 11 20:41 UTC (3:41 PM EST / 1:41 PM Yukon time according to Canadian Defense Minister Anand). Reports put the altitude of the shot down object at approximately 40,000ft (~12000 meters), which matches the projected ~11500 meters of K9YO-15. Based on the previous days transmission times, it is suspected that if it were operational, the balloon would have begun transmitting again sometime later in the Yukon afternoon when the sun was stronger, but no transmissions have been seen.

You can be over-enthusiastic. :))

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:31:19
From: Kingy
ID: 1995566
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


btm said:

Was feeling a bit “off” last week, with dizzy spells and balance issues, so my GP did some blood tests (he thought it was an inner ear inflammation, but wanted to rule out anything more serious. Almost everything was normal, but vit. D was down, and BGL was up (9.4 mmol/L; reference maximum is 5.4 mmol/L), but no sugar was in my urine (sample was taken at the same time the blood was taken.) He says that doesn’t make sense, but has taken more blood for a HbA1c test.The balance and dizziness issues have gone away.

BPPV?

WB&D?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:33:29
From: btm
ID: 1995568
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


btm said:

Was feeling a bit “off” last week, with dizzy spells and balance issues, so my GP did some blood tests (he thought it was an inner ear inflammation, but wanted to rule out anything more serious. Almost everything was normal, but vit. D was down, and BGL was up (9.4 mmol/L; reference maximum is 5.4 mmol/L), but no sugar was in my urine (sample was taken at the same time the blood was taken.) He says that doesn’t make sense, but has taken more blood for a HbA1c test.The balance and dizziness issues have gone away.

BPPV?

Yes, that’s what he thought.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:34:17
From: btm
ID: 1995569
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


ChrispenEvan said:

btm said:

Was feeling a bit “off” last week, with dizzy spells and balance issues, so my GP did some blood tests (he thought it was an inner ear inflammation, but wanted to rule out anything more serious. Almost everything was normal, but vit. D was down, and BGL was up (9.4 mmol/L; reference maximum is 5.4 mmol/L), but no sugar was in my urine (sample was taken at the same time the blood was taken.) He says that doesn’t make sense, but has taken more blood for a HbA1c test.The balance and dizziness issues have gone away.

BPPV?

WB&D?

That’s what he suggested. I’ve run out of Dettol, though, so I haven’t done it yet.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:35:32
From: Cymek
ID: 1995570
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


ChrispenEvan said:

A theory has emerged from the amateur radio community about what exactly a US jet shot down over Canada’s Yukon territory.

The unidentified object, one of three downed by American planes in recent days, may have been a “pico” balloon equipped with a GPS module and a solar panel that was launched from Illinois last October, and in the middle of circumnavigating the earth for the seventh time, according to this report on hobbyist website RTL-SDR.

As the article makes clear, the details of the K9YO-15 amateur radio balloon and US and Canadian authorities’ description of the object encountered on 11 February sure seem to line up:

The launch blog post indicates that the K9YO-15 balloon was flying a silver mylar 32” sphere SAG balloon which appears to be this one from balloons.online. Unlike latex or rubber weather balloons which inflate and stretch as they rise into lower atmospheric pressures, these mylar balloons can’t stretch, so their fully inflated ground size will be the same as their size at high altitudes, meaning the pico balloon won’t get much bigger than 32”. The payload was a GPS module, Arduino, SI5351 used as a WSPR and APRS transmitter and a solar panel, all together weighing 16.4 grams. A pentagon memo notes that the object shot down over Canada was a “small metallic balloon with a tethered payload” which fits the description of the pico balloon exactly.

The K9YO-15 balloon ceased all WSPR telemetry transmissions while flying just below Alaska since Feb 11 00:18 UTC (just before sunset in Alaska when the solar panels would stop working).

By using NOAA wind models and the last known location by Alaska, K9YO-15 was projected to have been over Yukon when the US Air Force shot down the unknown balloon object at Feb 11 20:41 UTC (3:41 PM EST / 1:41 PM Yukon time according to Canadian Defense Minister Anand). Reports put the altitude of the shot down object at approximately 40,000ft (~12000 meters), which matches the projected ~11500 meters of K9YO-15. Based on the previous days transmission times, it is suspected that if it were operational, the balloon would have begun transmitting again sometime later in the Yukon afternoon when the sun was stronger, but no transmissions have been seen.

You can be over-enthusiastic. :))

No Roswell 2 – electric boogaloo then

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:35:49
From: Tamb
ID: 1995571
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


btm said:

Was feeling a bit “off” last week, with dizzy spells and balance issues, so my GP did some blood tests (he thought it was an inner ear inflammation, but wanted to rule out anything more serious. Almost everything was normal, but vit. D was down, and BGL was up (9.4 mmol/L; reference maximum is 5.4 mmol/L), but no sugar was in my urine (sample was taken at the same time the blood was taken.) He says that doesn’t make sense, but has taken more blood for a HbA1c test.The balance and dizziness issues have gone away.

BPPV?


Vestibular neuronitis?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:43:05
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1995572
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Small mammal camera trap image identification guide – Gippsland, Grampians, Otways

104.8Mb download

Good one, thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:43:18
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995573
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ChrispenEvan said:

btm said:

Was feeling a bit “off” last week, with dizzy spells and balance issues, so my GP did some blood tests (he thought it was an inner ear inflammation, but wanted to rule out anything more serious. Almost everything was normal, but vit. D was down, and BGL was up (9.4 mmol/L; reference maximum is 5.4 mmol/L), but no sugar was in my urine (sample was taken at the same time the blood was taken.) He says that doesn’t make sense, but has taken more blood for a HbA1c test.The balance and dizziness issues have gone away.

BPPV?


Vestibular neuronitis?

Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo

Inside your ear is a tiny organ called the vestibular labyrinth. It includes three loop-shaped structures (semicircular canals) that contain fluid and fine, hairlike sensors that monitor your head’s rotation.

Other structures (otolith organs) in your ear monitor your head’s movements — up and down, right and left, back and forth — and your head’s position related to gravity. These otolith organs contain crystals that make you sensitive to gravity.

For many reasons, these crystals can become dislodged. When they become dislodged, they can move into one of the semicircular canals — especially while you’re lying down. This causes the semicircular canal to become sensitive to head position changes it would normally not respond to, which is what makes you feel dizzy.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:46:16
From: Tamb
ID: 1995574
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Tamb said:

ChrispenEvan said:

BPPV?


Vestibular neuronitis?

Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo

Inside your ear is a tiny organ called the vestibular labyrinth. It includes three loop-shaped structures (semicircular canals) that contain fluid and fine, hairlike sensors that monitor your head’s rotation.

Other structures (otolith organs) in your ear monitor your head’s movements — up and down, right and left, back and forth — and your head’s position related to gravity. These otolith organs contain crystals that make you sensitive to gravity.

For many reasons, these crystals can become dislodged. When they become dislodged, they can move into one of the semicircular canals — especially while you’re lying down. This causes the semicircular canal to become sensitive to head position changes it would normally not respond to, which is what makes you feel dizzy.


A bad attack also brings on nausea.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:47:36
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1995575
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:



Spotted it. Sitting there. Went back inside and got the camera, I walked all around it takig images and though it noticed me it didn’t move.
Took the camera back iinside and came out to finish whatever I had beein doing. It was gone. In a matter of twenty seconds. I’d thought it must have been ill but apparently it was probably just digesting a recent meal?

Ate rat poison I would guess.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:49:10
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995576
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


roughbarked said:


Spotted it. Sitting there. Went back inside and got the camera, I walked all around it takig images and though it noticed me it didn’t move.
Took the camera back iinside and came out to finish whatever I had beein doing. It was gone. In a matter of twenty seconds. I’d thought it must have been ill but apparently it was probably just digesting a recent meal?

Ate rat poison I would guess.

Wasn’t mine, the rat poison.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:56:25
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995578
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


Was feeling a bit “off” last week, with dizzy spells and balance issues, so my GP did some blood tests (he thought it was an inner ear inflammation, but wanted to rule out anything more serious. Almost everything was normal, but vit. D was down, and BGL was up (9.4 mmol/L; reference maximum is 5.4 mmol/L), but no sugar was in my urine (sample was taken at the same time the blood was taken.) He says that doesn’t make sense, but has taken more blood for a HbA1c test.The balance and dizziness issues have gone away.

The letting of blood fixed that.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 16:58:23
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1995580
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Miserable looking motorcycle touring family. Maybe they’d just had enough of it after 150,000 miles.


Definitely had enough.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:00:03
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995582
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Sibeen must have a contract to design a new Australian grid or something.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:03:46
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995588
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Sibeen must have a contract to design a new Australian grid or something.

he’s up a mallabloodycoota drinking abbottsbloodybeer.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:05:13
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1995589
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Sibeen must have a contract to design a new Australian grid or something.

Probably gone off to fix the new Snowy Mountains project.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:05:49
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995591
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Sibeen must have a contract to design a new Australian grid or something.

he’s up a mallabloodycoota drinking abbottsbloodybeer.

Well it’s getting late in the day so he probably can’t type.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:06:52
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995592
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Sibeen must have a contract to design a new Australian grid or something.

he’s up a mallabloodycoota drinking abbottsbloodybeer.

Well it’s getting late in the day so he probably can’t type.

I hope he hasn’t had another heart episode.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:12:11
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1995593
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


1970s, UK, judging by the Reliant Regal 3-wheeled van in the background.

A Coffin Cheater.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:16:10
From: Michael V
ID: 1995594
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


Was feeling a bit “off” last week, with dizzy spells and balance issues, so my GP did some blood tests (he thought it was an inner ear inflammation, but wanted to rule out anything more serious. Almost everything was normal, but vit. D was down, and BGL was up (9.4 mmol/L; reference maximum is 5.4 mmol/L), but no sugar was in my urine (sample was taken at the same time the blood was taken.) He says that doesn’t make sense, but has taken more blood for a HbA1c test.The balance and dizziness issues have gone away.

Hmmm. I hope you get to the bottom of that.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:19:17
From: Michael V
ID: 1995595
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Sibeen must have a contract to design a new Australian grid or something.

LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:26:07
From: Michael V
ID: 1995596
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Sibeen must have a contract to design a new Australian grid or something.

he’s up a mallabloodycoota drinking abbottsbloodybeer.

Can somebody do an email or phone welfare check?

A husband and wife drowned at Mallacoota yesterday.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:27:10
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1995597
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Sibeen must have a contract to design a new Australian grid or something.

he’s up a mallabloodycoota drinking abbottsbloodybeer.

Can somebody do an email or phone welfare check?

A husband and wife drowned at Mallacoota yesterday.

:(

I imagine Sibeen being very buoyant.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:31:35
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995598
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

How old is sibeen? The fellow who drowned was 60.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:32:03
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995599
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Michael V said:

ChrispenEvan said:

he’s up a mallabloodycoota drinking abbottsbloodybeer.

Can somebody do an email or phone welfare check?

A husband and wife drowned at Mallacoota yesterday.

:(

I imagine Sibeen being very buoyant.

probably get a fish kill report from alcohol poisoning.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:35:58
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995603
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


How old is sibeen? The fellow who drowned was 60.

He said he was 61 I think.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:36:33
From: ms spock
ID: 1995605
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I had two Irish classes today, one ran over an hour! LOL Gave the brain a bit of a work out!

I did an hour one on one practice with a woman who just lost her brother to Covid. Sheesh folks are doing it tough. Gosh she’s good with the language.

I had to do a lot of translating in my head. I think I am forming new neural pathways.

There was someone who was a retired professor of medical anthropology, a person who did research on epidemiology (glad that they retired prior to Covid) and someone who researches bioterrorism. Then general scallywags and much skulduggery. I was the dumbest kid in the class Irish wise but not a bad place to be dumb in. The more I fail fast, fabulously and with flair the sooner I will learn and move towards fluencey or even just a basic conversation would be just fine and dandy now.

It’s hard when the teacher makes you laugh so much you find it hard to concentrate, but other than it was a real hoot!

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:38:01
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995608
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

How old is sibeen? The fellow who drowned was 60.

He said he was 61 I think.

Too close for comfort.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:40:07
From: ms spock
ID: 1995609
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Bubblecar said:

How old is sibeen? The fellow who drowned was 60.

He said he was 61 I think.

Too close for comfort.

Tá mé ag súil go mór go bhfuil sibeen ceart go leor!

I am really hoping that sibeen is okay!

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:41:57
From: ms spock
ID: 1995610
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


PermeateFree said:

ChrispenEvan said:

A theory has emerged from the amateur radio community about what exactly a US jet shot down over Canada’s Yukon territory.

The unidentified object, one of three downed by American planes in recent days, may have been a “pico” balloon equipped with a GPS module and a solar panel that was launched from Illinois last October, and in the middle of circumnavigating the earth for the seventh time, according to this report on hobbyist website RTL-SDR.

As the article makes clear, the details of the K9YO-15 amateur radio balloon and US and Canadian authorities’ description of the object encountered on 11 February sure seem to line up:

The launch blog post indicates that the K9YO-15 balloon was flying a silver mylar 32” sphere SAG balloon which appears to be this one from balloons.online. Unlike latex or rubber weather balloons which inflate and stretch as they rise into lower atmospheric pressures, these mylar balloons can’t stretch, so their fully inflated ground size will be the same as their size at high altitudes, meaning the pico balloon won’t get much bigger than 32”. The payload was a GPS module, Arduino, SI5351 used as a WSPR and APRS transmitter and a solar panel, all together weighing 16.4 grams. A pentagon memo notes that the object shot down over Canada was a “small metallic balloon with a tethered payload” which fits the description of the pico balloon exactly.

The K9YO-15 balloon ceased all WSPR telemetry transmissions while flying just below Alaska since Feb 11 00:18 UTC (just before sunset in Alaska when the solar panels would stop working).

By using NOAA wind models and the last known location by Alaska, K9YO-15 was projected to have been over Yukon when the US Air Force shot down the unknown balloon object at Feb 11 20:41 UTC (3:41 PM EST / 1:41 PM Yukon time according to Canadian Defense Minister Anand). Reports put the altitude of the shot down object at approximately 40,000ft (~12000 meters), which matches the projected ~11500 meters of K9YO-15. Based on the previous days transmission times, it is suspected that if it were operational, the balloon would have begun transmitting again sometime later in the Yukon afternoon when the sun was stronger, but no transmissions have been seen.

You can be over-enthusiastic. :))

No Roswell 2 – electric boogaloo then

Q: So you can’t hand in the results from your PhD project?

A: Well the pentagon shot it down…

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:42:57
From: Michael V
ID: 1995611
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


How old is sibeen? The fellow who drowned was 60.

I don’t know.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:43:41
From: Michael V
ID: 1995612
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Michael V said:

ChrispenEvan said:

he’s up a mallabloodycoota drinking abbottsbloodybeer.

Can somebody do an email or phone welfare check?

A husband and wife drowned at Mallacoota yesterday.

:(

I imagine Sibeen being very buoyant.

More than me?

I nearly drowned a few years ago. Caught in a rip.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:45:11
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1995613
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Tamb said:

Michael V said:

And they are nasty, vicious, highly venomous bastards. They will attack if a person just happens to be nearby.


Yes indeed. One of the few snakes who’d rather attack than retreat.

Yes.

Well it must be conditioned to regard people as a dangerous predator. Although more likely commonly persecuted when encountered by humans.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:47:02
From: Michael V
ID: 1995614
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Cymek said:

PermeateFree said:

You can be over-enthusiastic. :))

No Roswell 2 – electric boogaloo then

Q: So you can’t hand in the results from your PhD project?

A: Well the pentagon shot it down…

LOL

Better than “The dog ate my homework.”.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:47:20
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995615
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Pleasant music from Dreamer’s Circus, a few years ago.

DREAMERS’ CIRCUS : City Gardens : Møn Sessions : October

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQiTsAMd4sc&list=RDMMXQTcP_4Q1lk&index=2

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:47:38
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995616
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Michael V said:

Can somebody do an email or phone welfare check?

A husband and wife drowned at Mallacoota yesterday.

:(

I imagine Sibeen being very buoyant.

More than me?

I nearly drowned a few years ago. Caught in a rip.

I’ve been caught in a rip. That’s one of the reasons I don’t go in the sea anymore. I do recommend being with two lifesavers if you are planning to get caught in a rip. they saved my father and sister first. I had almost given up.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:49:32
From: ms spock
ID: 1995617
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


ms spock said:

Cymek said:

No Roswell 2 – electric boogaloo then

Q: So you can’t hand in the results from your PhD project?

A: Well the pentagon shot it down…

LOL

Better than “The dog ate my homework.”.

You totally get my train of thought! :)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:50:29
From: Michael V
ID: 1995618
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Michael V said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

I imagine Sibeen being very buoyant.

More than me?

I nearly drowned a few years ago. Caught in a rip.

I’ve been caught in a rip. That’s one of the reasons I don’t go in the sea anymore. I do recommend being with two lifesavers if you are planning to get caught in a rip. they saved my father and sister first. I had almost given up.

That’s what happened to me. I got so tired, I almost gave up. I didn’t have the strength to raise my hand or yell out.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:51:09
From: Cymek
ID: 1995619
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Michael V said:

Tamb said:

Yes indeed. One of the few snakes who’d rather attack than retreat.

Yes.

Well it must be conditioned to regard people as a dangerous predator. Although more likely commonly persecuted when encountered by humans.

We have set a precedence

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:52:13
From: ms spock
ID: 1995620
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Michael V said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

I imagine Sibeen being very buoyant.

More than me?

I nearly drowned a few years ago. Caught in a rip.

I’ve been caught in a rip. That’s one of the reasons I don’t go in the sea anymore. I do recommend being with two lifesavers if you are planning to get caught in a rip. they saved my father and sister first. I had almost given up.

That sounds scary sarahsmum. I almost drowned in a pool when I was little and it was quite frightening.

I saved a drowning kid from the sea once, brought him in, returned him to his freaking out parents and went further down to catch the next boogie boarding wave. I did it with panache and I did it with style. And I only knew a few words of Irish Gaelic.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:52:39
From: ms spock
ID: 1995621
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

Michael V said:

More than me?

I nearly drowned a few years ago. Caught in a rip.

I’ve been caught in a rip. That’s one of the reasons I don’t go in the sea anymore. I do recommend being with two lifesavers if you are planning to get caught in a rip. they saved my father and sister first. I had almost given up.

That’s what happened to me. I got so tired, I almost gave up. I didn’t have the strength to raise my hand or yell out.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:55:28
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995622
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

Michael V said:

More than me?

I nearly drowned a few years ago. Caught in a rip.

I’ve been caught in a rip. That’s one of the reasons I don’t go in the sea anymore. I do recommend being with two lifesavers if you are planning to get caught in a rip. they saved my father and sister first. I had almost given up.

That’s what happened to me. I got so tired, I almost gave up. I didn’t have the strength to raise my hand or yell out.

I was just treading water for the longest time. I really am a shithouse swimmer.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:56:40
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995623
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

I’ve been caught in a rip. That’s one of the reasons I don’t go in the sea anymore. I do recommend being with two lifesavers if you are planning to get caught in a rip. they saved my father and sister first. I had almost given up.

That’s what happened to me. I got so tired, I almost gave up. I didn’t have the strength to raise my hand or yell out.

I was just treading water for the longest time. I really am a shithouse swimmer.

I can dog-paddle in safe shallows.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:58:52
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1995624
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Michael V said:

That’s what happened to me. I got so tired, I almost gave up. I didn’t have the strength to raise my hand or yell out.

I was just treading water for the longest time. I really am a shithouse swimmer.

I can dog-paddle in safe shallows.

But when the shoreline is disappearing from view and you thought you saw a large fin slicing through the water.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:59:13
From: Cymek
ID: 1995625
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

I’ve been caught in a rip. That’s one of the reasons I don’t go in the sea anymore. I do recommend being with two lifesavers if you are planning to get caught in a rip. they saved my father and sister first. I had almost given up.

That’s what happened to me. I got so tired, I almost gave up. I didn’t have the strength to raise my hand or yell out.

I was just treading water for the longest time. I really am a shithouse swimmer.

Swimming is tiring regardless of ones ability, could easily happen.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 17:59:54
From: Cymek
ID: 1995626
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

I was just treading water for the longest time. I really am a shithouse swimmer.

I can dog-paddle in safe shallows.

But when the shoreline is disappearing from view and you thought you saw a large fin slicing through the water.

We are outclassed in water

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:00:41
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995627
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Michael V said:

That’s what happened to me. I got so tired, I almost gave up. I didn’t have the strength to raise my hand or yell out.

I was just treading water for the longest time. I really am a shithouse swimmer.

I can dog-paddle in safe shallows.

your siblings don’t seem the types to pick the most challenging surf all the time.I got dumped so often when I was a kid. But there was a time I could do a few pool laps of breaststroke

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:03:16
From: ms spock
ID: 1995628
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


PermeateFree said:

Bubblecar said:

I can dog-paddle in safe shallows.

But when the shoreline is disappearing from view and you thought you saw a large fin slicing through the water.

We are outclassed in water

Táimid go deimhin Cymek!
We are indeed Cymek!

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:05:59
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995630
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

my doctor is on hard quiz on the first of march. please remind me.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:06:28
From: Michael V
ID: 1995631
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

Michael V said:

More than me?

I nearly drowned a few years ago. Caught in a rip.

I’ve been caught in a rip. That’s one of the reasons I don’t go in the sea anymore. I do recommend being with two lifesavers if you are planning to get caught in a rip. they saved my father and sister first. I had almost given up.

That sounds scary sarahsmum. I almost drowned in a pool when I was little and it was quite frightening.

I saved a drowning kid from the sea once, brought him in, returned him to his freaking out parents and went further down to catch the next boogie boarding wave. I did it with panache and I did it with style. And I only knew a few words of Irish Gaelic.

As a teenager and a strong swimmer, I saved a kid from a very large surf with a strong undertow at North Curl Curl. I grabbed the kid, who immediately climbed on top of my head. I did what I had taught and punched him to get him off as he would have drowned me. I caught him around the neck and side-stroked him in. His parents abused me for hitting him.

If some teenager had saved my drowning kid from a dangerous, unpatrolled part of the beach, I’d have thanked that person profusely and bought endless ice-creams for the whole of the summer.

I told this story to someone who pointed out that they were probably in shock and had no idea what they were saying.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:09:12
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995632
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

I’ve been caught in a rip. That’s one of the reasons I don’t go in the sea anymore. I do recommend being with two lifesavers if you are planning to get caught in a rip. they saved my father and sister first. I had almost given up.

That sounds scary sarahsmum. I almost drowned in a pool when I was little and it was quite frightening.

I saved a drowning kid from the sea once, brought him in, returned him to his freaking out parents and went further down to catch the next boogie boarding wave. I did it with panache and I did it with style. And I only knew a few words of Irish Gaelic.

As a teenager and a strong swimmer, I saved a kid from a very large surf with a strong undertow at North Curl Curl. I grabbed the kid, who immediately climbed on top of my head. I did what I had taught and punched him to get him off as he would have drowned me. I caught him around the neck and side-stroked him in. His parents abused me for hitting him.

If some teenager had saved my drowning kid from a dangerous, unpatrolled part of the beach, I’d have thanked that person profusely and bought endless ice-creams for the whole of the summer.

I told this story to someone who pointed out that they were probably in shock and had no idea what they were saying.

three cheers for you from me.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:09:14
From: ms spock
ID: 1995633
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


FNDC unfolding here, feel free to partake.

Wish I could sing like Geoffrey:

Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu – Wiyathul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8-YMpYbRqY

Iontach! (Amazing!)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:10:12
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995635
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Michael V said:

ms spock said:

That sounds scary sarahsmum. I almost drowned in a pool when I was little and it was quite frightening.

I saved a drowning kid from the sea once, brought him in, returned him to his freaking out parents and went further down to catch the next boogie boarding wave. I did it with panache and I did it with style. And I only knew a few words of Irish Gaelic.

As a teenager and a strong swimmer, I saved a kid from a very large surf with a strong undertow at North Curl Curl. I grabbed the kid, who immediately climbed on top of my head. I did what I had taught and punched him to get him off as he would have drowned me. I caught him around the neck and side-stroked him in. His parents abused me for hitting him.

If some teenager had saved my drowning kid from a dangerous, unpatrolled part of the beach, I’d have thanked that person profusely and bought endless ice-creams for the whole of the summer.

I told this story to someone who pointed out that they were probably in shock and had no idea what they were saying.

three cheers for you from me.

+1

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:10:32
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995636
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Aurora taken by Di on Maatsuyker Island last night.

wooden boat goes past today.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:11:29
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1995637
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:

Michael V said:

ms spock said:

That sounds scary sarahsmum. I almost drowned in a pool when I was little and it was quite frightening.

I saved a drowning kid from the sea once, brought him in, returned him to his freaking out parents and went further down to catch the next boogie boarding wave. I did it with panache and I did it with style. And I only knew a few words of Irish Gaelic.

As a teenager and a strong swimmer, I saved a kid from a very large surf with a strong undertow at North Curl Curl. I grabbed the kid, who immediately climbed on top of my head. I did what I had taught and punched him to get him off as he would have drowned me. I caught him around the neck and side-stroked him in. His parents abused me for hitting him.

If some teenager had saved my drowning kid from a dangerous, unpatrolled part of the beach, I’d have thanked that person profusely and bought endless ice-creams for the whole of the summer.

I told this story to someone who pointed out that they were probably in shock and had no idea what they were saying.

three cheers for you from me.

we’ren’t surf lifesavers but can’t you just pre-emptively but subtly drown them first and then drag them back

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:12:05
From: Michael V
ID: 1995638
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


my doctor is on hard quiz on the first of march. please remind me.

sm: Your doctor is on hard quiz on the first of march. There. I’ve reminded you.

;)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:13:24
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995639
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

my doctor is on hard quiz on the first of march. please remind me.

sm: Your doctor is on hard quiz on the first of march. There. I’ve reminded you.

;)

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:13:44
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995640
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dessert time. Peaches and pears aren’t soft enough yet.

But I bought a tin of mixed berries so I’ll have some of them with vanilla ice cream.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:14:48
From: Cymek
ID: 1995641
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

my doctor is on hard quiz on the first of march. please remind me.

sm: Your doctor is on hard quiz on the first of march. There. I’ve reminded you.

;)

:)

Do you know his/her/their subject ?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:17:52
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995642
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


sarahs mum said:

Michael V said:

sm: Your doctor is on hard quiz on the first of march. There. I’ve reminded you.

;)

:)

Do you know his/her/their subject ?

No. She’s not telling.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:23:32
From: ms spock
ID: 1995643
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

I’ve been caught in a rip. That’s one of the reasons I don’t go in the sea anymore. I do recommend being with two lifesavers if you are planning to get caught in a rip. they saved my father and sister first. I had almost given up.

That sounds scary sarahsmum. I almost drowned in a pool when I was little and it was quite frightening.

I saved a drowning kid from the sea once, brought him in, returned him to his freaking out parents and went further down to catch the next boogie boarding wave. I did it with panache and I did it with style. And I only knew a few words of Irish Gaelic.

As a teenager and a strong swimmer, I saved a kid from a very large surf with a strong undertow at North Curl Curl. I grabbed the kid, who immediately climbed on top of my head. I did what I had taught and punched him to get him off as he would have drowned me. I caught him around the neck and side-stroked him in. His parents abused me for hitting him.

If some teenager had saved my drowning kid from a dangerous, unpatrolled part of the beach, I’d have thanked that person profusely and bought endless ice-creams for the whole of the summer.

I told this story to someone who pointed out that they were probably in shock and had no idea what they were saying.

My rescue was not as tough going as yours, he just got out too deep, and couldn’t breathe so well so I just told him it’s going to be alright and grabbed him and held him to my side and dragged him along. If you had to punch the kid you had to punch the kid. Saving the life of someone’s kid! Why was there no ice cream it makes no sense. The parents of the kid I saved were kind of crying and all upset. I said “No worries!” and just headed back out to boogie board. I found it amusing I could save a life and not miss a wave. I am not sure that the parents would have understood that.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:24:09
From: ms spock
ID: 1995644
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Michael V said:

As a teenager and a strong swimmer, I saved a kid from a very large surf with a strong undertow at North Curl Curl. I grabbed the kid, who immediately climbed on top of my head. I did what I had taught and punched him to get him off as he would have drowned me. I caught him around the neck and side-stroked him in. His parents abused me for hitting him.

If some teenager had saved my drowning kid from a dangerous, unpatrolled part of the beach, I’d have thanked that person profusely and bought endless ice-creams for the whole of the summer.

I told this story to someone who pointed out that they were probably in shock and had no idea what they were saying.

three cheers for you from me.

+1

+1 Summer full of ice creams from me!

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:25:06
From: ms spock
ID: 1995645
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

my doctor is on hard quiz on the first of march. please remind me.

sm: Your doctor is on hard quiz on the first of march. There. I’ve reminded you.

;)

:)

What time is Hard Quiz?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:25:34
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995646
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

Michael V said:

sm: Your doctor is on hard quiz on the first of march. There. I’ve reminded you.

;)

:)

What time is Hard Quiz?

8

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:26:04
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995647
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

:)

What time is Hard Quiz?

8

I seldom turn on the tv these days.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:26:19
From: ms spock
ID: 1995648
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


dv said:

Further to my adventures in 500 nostalgia…

The way we used to play, there was an option for a player who successfully bid 6 or 7 to up the bid to 10 once they’ve seen the kitty: they would effectively get 100 extra points. Their opponent would not play but would donate one card (and the declarer would have to discard 4 in order to still have 10 cards). This was called going stag: a different concept of a slam, which involved getting 10 even though you only bid 6 or 7 but involved both partners staying in, and resulted in 250.

This going stag option is not mentioned in the Queen’s Slipper notes.

The WP article includes it as a variation but calls it Slam, as follows:

Slam: If, after picking up the kitty, a player who bid a seven-trick contract (but not over seven and not misère) feels that they could win all ten tricks, they may call for a slam hand. The partner of the player who calls for a slam passes a single card to their partner then folds their hand and does not play. The contractor who called for the slam hand must discard until they have only 10 cards remaining before starting play. The contractor must then win all ten tricks, or lose the point value of the bid, plus 100 points. Because the total value of the slam hand is the same as the value of a bid of eight in the same suit, it is not advantageous for a player to intentionally underbid a hand in order to make a slam bid. For a variation on the Slam rule, see the ‘Variations in score keeping’ section.

Interesting this implies this is not an option if you won a 6 bid.

Don’t recall ever playing that game.

We were more a cribbage and canasta clan.

We played up and down the river!

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:27:51
From: ms spock
ID: 1995649
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

ms spock said:

What time is Hard Quiz?

8

I seldom turn on the tv these days.

You are not missing much sarahsmum! I don’t turn it on much either!

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:50:29
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995650
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

I’ve been caught in a rip. That’s one of the reasons I don’t go in the sea anymore. I do recommend being with two lifesavers if you are planning to get caught in a rip. they saved my father and sister first. I had almost given up.

That sounds scary sarahsmum. I almost drowned in a pool when I was little and it was quite frightening.

I saved a drowning kid from the sea once, brought him in, returned him to his freaking out parents and went further down to catch the next boogie boarding wave. I did it with panache and I did it with style. And I only knew a few words of Irish Gaelic.

As a teenager and a strong swimmer, I saved a kid from a very large surf with a strong undertow at North Curl Curl. I grabbed the kid, who immediately climbed on top of my head. I did what I had taught and punched him to get him off as he would have drowned me. I caught him around the neck and side-stroked him in. His parents abused me for hitting him.

If some teenager had saved my drowning kid from a dangerous, unpatrolled part of the beach, I’d have thanked that person profusely and bought endless ice-creams for the whole of the summer.

I told this story to someone who pointed out that they were probably in shock and had no idea what they were saying.

You did well. It is true that they will try to drown you in their panic.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:55:04
From: dv
ID: 1995651
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Still my favourite Australian beer

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 18:59:44
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995653
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Still my favourite Australian beer

Have never tried it. Haven’t seen it in my shops.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 19:15:13
From: dv
ID: 1995658
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


dv said:

Still my favourite Australian beer

Have never tried it. Haven’t seen it in my shops.

Where do you live?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 19:31:12
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995662
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Michael V said:

Can somebody do an email or phone welfare check?

A husband and wife drowned at Mallacoota yesterday.

:(

I imagine Sibeen being very buoyant.

More than me?

I nearly drowned a few years ago. Caught in a rip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riptide_(American_TV_series)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 19:31:12
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995663
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Michael V said:

Can somebody do an email or phone welfare check?

A husband and wife drowned at Mallacoota yesterday.

:(

I imagine Sibeen being very buoyant.

More than me?

I nearly drowned a few years ago. Caught in a rip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riptide_(American_TV_series)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 19:32:33
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995664
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

humble apologies for the double post. went click happy there for an instant.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 19:37:39
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1995666
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


humble apologies for the double post. went click happy there for an instant.

Being happy is good but you could possibly dial down the meth use.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 19:48:22
From: buffy
ID: 1995669
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Oh, and the mushroom I put up before has been confirmed by two others as Chlorophyllum brunneum (shaggy parasol).

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 20:07:26
From: btm
ID: 1995670
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Oh, and the mushroom I put up before has been confirmed by two others as Chlorophyllum brunneum (shaggy parasol).

FWIW, I suggest you don’t eat it, although it’s classified as edible. C. brunneum is almost identical to C. molybdites, a much more toxic mushroom; they can be distinguished by spoor print (C. brunneum is white; C. molybdites is green)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 20:11:51
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1995671
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

From David Attenborough Fans on Facebook:

· This famous picture by Matt Dave shows a shark just before it emerges from water, breaking its surface tension.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 20:12:57
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1995672
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


buffy said:

Oh, and the mushroom I put up before has been confirmed by two others as Chlorophyllum brunneum (shaggy parasol).

FWIW, I suggest you don’t eat it, although it’s classified as edible. C. brunneum is almost identical to C. molybdites, a much more toxic mushroom; they can be distinguished by spoor print (C. brunneum is white; C. molybdites is green)

Who are you to question eating a deadly fungus of dubious culinary merit?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 20:16:10
From: transition
ID: 1995673
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

4 days over ~40+C starts monday, lady reckons, peaks 44C just has me a look in my weatherology page, gets a third opinion now from lady’s favorite weatherology page

looks worserer

42, 42, 44, 44C

garden be groaning sounds everywhere

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 20:37:07
From: poikilotherm
ID: 1995674
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


btm said:

buffy said:

Oh, and the mushroom I put up before has been confirmed by two others as Chlorophyllum brunneum (shaggy parasol).

FWIW, I suggest you don’t eat it, although it’s classified as edible. C. brunneum is almost identical to C. molybdites, a much more toxic mushroom; they can be distinguished by spoor print (C. brunneum is white; C. molybdites is green)

Who are you to question eating a deadly fungus of dubious culinary merit?

Only one of them is deadly.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 20:40:15
From: buffy
ID: 1995675
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


buffy said:

Oh, and the mushroom I put up before has been confirmed by two others as Chlorophyllum brunneum (shaggy parasol).

FWIW, I suggest you don’t eat it, although it’s classified as edible. C. brunneum is almost identical to C. molybdites, a much more toxic mushroom; they can be distinguished by spoor print (C. brunneum is white; C. molybdites is green)

I have no intention of eating them. It’s not in good enough nick anyway, but I only eat supermarket mushrooms. So if I die, they can get the blame…

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 20:49:33
From: buffy
ID: 1995677
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


btm said:

buffy said:

Oh, and the mushroom I put up before has been confirmed by two others as Chlorophyllum brunneum (shaggy parasol).

FWIW, I suggest you don’t eat it, although it’s classified as edible. C. brunneum is almost identical to C. molybdites, a much more toxic mushroom; they can be distinguished by spoor print (C. brunneum is white; C. molybdites is green)

I have no intention of eating them. It’s not in good enough nick anyway, but I only eat supermarket mushrooms. So if I die, they can get the blame…

Oh, and there are no records on iNaturalist for C. molybdites in Victoria. There are 303 for C. brunneum.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=7830&taxon_id=58693

And 37 for C. rhacodes.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=7830&taxon_id=56535

I’m not entirely sure about the difference between those two.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 20:51:24
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1995679
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

poikilotherm said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

btm said:

FWIW, I suggest you don’t eat it, although it’s classified as edible. C. brunneum is almost identical to C. molybdites, a much more toxic mushroom; they can be distinguished by spoor print (C. brunneum is white; C. molybdites is green)

Who are you to question eating a deadly fungus of dubious culinary merit?

Only one of them is deadly.

I note you’re not questioning the ‘dubious culinary merit’ assertion… :-)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 20:54:23
From: Kingy
ID: 1995681
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Firefox is just now deciding to outline highlighted posts in the “By Time” list with a blue and white outline. It wasn’t doing that half an hour ago.

Is that universal, or just me?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:03:49
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995682
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Firefox is just now deciding to outline highlighted posts in the “By Time” list with a blue and white outline. It wasn’t doing that half an hour ago.

Is that universal, or just me?

started doing that to me a few days ago.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:04:31
From: buffy
ID: 1995683
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Kingy said:

Firefox is just now deciding to outline highlighted posts in the “By Time” list with a blue and white outline. It wasn’t doing that half an hour ago.

Is that universal, or just me?

started doing that to me a few days ago.

Not happening here.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:10:58
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1995684
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Xylaria polymorpha, commonly known as dead man’s fingers, is a saprobic fungus growing from the bases of rotting tree stumps and decaying wood. It has elongated upright stromata poking up through the ground, much like fingers.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:12:30
From: btm
ID: 1995685
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


sarahs mum said:

Kingy said:

Firefox is just now deciding to outline highlighted posts in the “By Time” list with a blue and white outline. It wasn’t doing that half an hour ago.

Is that universal, or just me?

started doing that to me a few days ago.

Not happening here.

Or here.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:13:52
From: dv
ID: 1995686
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

It was bad enough finding out Pikachu isn’t a pika, but now I know Squidward’s not a squid. Who knows what’s even real any more?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:18:12
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1995687
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


It was bad enough finding out Pikachu isn’t a pika, but now I know Squidward’s not a squid. Who knows what’s even real any more?

Psst ….I’m uncertain about Santa being real … just sayin’

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:23:59
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995689
Subject: re: Chat February 2023


Nick Monk Photography
1 h ·
The Cartela and Aurora Australis
Franklin
Tasmania
(taken last night, 16/2)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:25:54
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1995691
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

check

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:32:37
From: buffy
ID: 1995692
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

monkey skipper said:


Xylaria polymorpha, commonly known as dead man’s fingers, is a saprobic fungus growing from the bases of rotting tree stumps and decaying wood. It has elongated upright stromata poking up through the ground, much like fingers.


Ooh, ooh…I’ve got a picture that looks like fingers coming up out of the ground. Vegetable caterpillars. Drechmeria (was Cordyceps) gunnii.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:35:33
From: dv
ID: 1995694
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://youtu.be/pfG8EhdHFTE

Stray cat POVcam

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:35:58
From: tauto
ID: 1995695
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


It was bad enough finding out Pikachu isn’t a pika, but now I know Squidward’s not a squid. Who knows what’s even real any more?

__

Now you know how the maga fans feel…

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:38:59
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1995696
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


monkey skipper said:

Xylaria polymorpha, commonly known as dead man’s fingers, is a saprobic fungus growing from the bases of rotting tree stumps and decaying wood. It has elongated upright stromata poking up through the ground, much like fingers.


Ooh, ooh…I’ve got a picture that looks like fingers coming up out of the ground. Vegetable caterpillars. Drechmeria (was Cordyceps) gunnii.


zombie apocalypse!!!

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:41:08
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1995697
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

is it easier to excavate to the earth core by digging in a spiral , or bore drill style straight down or zig zag back and forth do ya reckon?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:42:21
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1995698
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

a zig zag seems like people could go back and forth from the area (provided no cave ins happened)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:47:05
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995701
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


https://youtu.be/pfG8EhdHFTE

Stray cat POVcam

there are quite a few of them wherever that is.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:50:15
From: dv
ID: 1995702
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

monkey skipper said:


is it easier to excavate to the earth core by digging in a spiral , or bore drill style straight down or zig zag back and forth do ya reckon?

I think it’s not remotely possible by any of the methods you describe.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:52:16
From: Kingy
ID: 1995703
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

If a person was about to buy a company/business, and has the profit and loss statements for the last 7 years, and the list of assets…

Apart from the list of debts, what would that person need to be aware of in order to not unexpectedly find himself in a pile of shit?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:52:24
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1995704
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

palla cat kitten

Palla cat all growed up

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:53:25
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1995705
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


monkey skipper said:

is it easier to excavate to the earth core by digging in a spiral , or bore drill style straight down or zig zag back and forth do ya reckon?

I think it’s not remotely possible by any of the methods you describe.

well the US tried to (the funding was cut) and the Russians tried to and I don’t remember why they abandoned ship.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:54:17
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1995706
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


If a person was about to buy a company/business, and has the profit and loss statements for the last 7 years, and the list of assets…

Apart from the list of debts, what would that person need to be aware of in order to not unexpectedly find himself in a pile of shit?

What directions are the sales figures going?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 21:56:26
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1995707
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

side eye sorta

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 22:00:10
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995708
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


If a person was about to buy a company/business, and has the profit and loss statements for the last 7 years, and the list of assets…

Apart from the list of debts, what would that person need to be aware of in order to not unexpectedly find himself in a pile of shit?

part of the price is the goodwill.

>Goodwill is the intangible value of a business such as its reputation, branding, customer loyalty, and other value that makes the business. It is what makes the purchase price of a business higher than just the fair market value of all its assets less liabilities.

That’s a rubbery figure. It’s hard to estimate for the buyer…

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 22:03:27
From: party_pants
ID: 1995709
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


If a person was about to buy a company/business, and has the profit and loss statements for the last 7 years, and the list of assets…

Apart from the list of debts, what would that person need to be aware of in order to not unexpectedly find himself in a pile of shit?

A list of customers/clients who deal on an account basis. The trading terms and their payment on time history.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 22:05:17
From: tauto
ID: 1995710
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


If a person was about to buy a company/business, and has the profit and loss statements for the last 7 years, and the list of assets…

Apart from the list of debts, what would that person need to be aware of in order to not unexpectedly find himself in a pile of shit?

___

The biggest trap would be a new large competitor has or will enter the local market.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 22:15:05
From: tauto
ID: 1995711
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

tauto said:


Kingy said:

If a person was about to buy a company/business, and has the profit and loss statements for the last 7 years, and the list of assets…

Apart from the list of debts, what would that person need to be aware of in order to not unexpectedly find himself in a pile of shit?

___

The biggest trap would be a new large competitor has or will enter the local market.

—-

Also you need independant valuations of the assets.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 22:24:59
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1995712
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Vape addict who fell asleep cradling her e-cig has ‘popcorn lung’

A woman’s addiction to vaping left her hospitalised with a rare lung condition which doctors warned could have left her reliant on an oxygen machine before she turned 30.

Abby Flynn, from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, had never smoked a cigarette before but took up e-cigarettes in summer 2021 because they were ‘trendy’.

Quickly hooked on the devices, she found herself demolishing an entire cartridge of vape fluid each day — the equivalent of 140 cigarettes a week.

But she was left gasping for breath one morning, after a cough she developed when she first began vaping became uncontrollable.

Tests taken in hospital revealed the 20-year-old had developed ‘popcorn lung’ — an irreversible lung injury that can be fatal without treatment.

Miss Flynn has vowed to never vape again after doctors told her of the life-changing consequences she’d suffer if she didn’t quit.

Miss Flynn had never smoked a cigarette before but took up e-cigarettes just 18 months ago as they were ‘trendy’. Quickly hooked on the device, she found herself demolishing an entire cartridge of vape fluid each day- the equivalent of 140 cigarettes a week

Miss Flynn used to buy two disposable vapes for £9 every time she was at a corner shop, setting her back £135 a month. She would smoke a range of sweet flavours — including bubble gum.

‘When I started it was a trend that was going around — everyone had a disposable vape,’ she said.

‘I’ve had asthma since I was around nine or ten. I started vaping about a year and a half ago. I didn’t smoke before, so I literally went straight to vaping.

‘I had it in my hand when I was driving. I’d be asleep and wake up and it would be in my hand. It was just constantly attached to me.’

But the former supermarket worker suddenly developed a persistent cough after taking up e-cigarettes.

What is popcorn lung?
‘Popcorn lung’ is the nickname for bronchiolitis obliterans, a condition which damages the smallest airways in the lungs.

It is a rare disease which can develop after an injury to the lung caused by a chemical or infection – known possible causes include chlorine, ammonia, welding fumes or food flavourings.

It got its nickname from the buttery food flavouring chemical, diacetyl, which used to be in microwaved popcorn may cause it.

Cancer Research UK says that although there are concerns e-cigarettes may cause the condition there is ‘no good evidence’ of a link so far.

People who have had lung transplants may also get the condition if their body tries to reject the organs.

Symptoms include a dry cough, difficulty breathing, wheezing or exhaustion.

The illness damages the lungs by causing swelling and scarring which block up the small airways in the organs, known as the bronchioles.

Obstruction in the bronchioles means the lungs have a smaller surface area through which they can absorb oxygen, so people may struggle to breathe efficiently.

Sources: Cancer Research UK and National Institutes of Health

At first it niggled but over the course of 18 months, the cough progressively took hold.

And in January, Miss Flynn woke to find she couldn’t breathe properly and took herself to Milton Keynes Hospital Walk-in Centre.

She said: ‘I was laying there in the walk-in centre panicking and was crying because I couldn’t catch my breath. I couldn’t walk and my cough was just awful.

‘It was really scary. Initially I didn’t know what was wrong, I knew I had asthma but it wasn’t a feeling of an asthma attack.’

Swiftly taken to resus by medics, she was given oxygen and had an X-ray.

Doctors then diagnosed her with bronchiolitis obliterans — or ‘popcorn lung’.

Ask the professionals

She added: ‘They asked if I used disposable vapes. They said I had loads of air pockets in my lungs, which is what they call “popcorn lung”.’

The condition is a rare type of lung disease, triggered by inflammation in bronchioles — the smallest airways in the lungs — which become scarred.

Scientists have suggested there may be a possible link between the disease and a chemical called diacetyl. However, further research is required.

Some liquids in e-cigarettes used to contain diacetyl, but in the UK the chemical was banned in e-cigarette liquids under the EU Tobacco Products Directive in 2016.

Cancer Research UK says there have been no confirmed cases of popcorn lung reported in people who use e-cigarette.

As well toxic chemicals, infections and autoimmune diseases can also cause popcorn lung. It is unclear how many people suffer from the rare condition affects.

Tell-tale signs include coughing, shortness of breath, wheezing, tiredness, fever, night sweats and a rash.

It was named after a group of popcorn factory workers in Missouri developed the condition after breathing in vapour from the butter flavouring added to the popcorn, which contained diacetyl.

Medics may prescribe steroids and an inhaler to reduce inflammation and help with breathing. In severe cases, a lung transplant may be required.

Sufferers require life-long care to manage their symptoms and are advised to avoid air pollution, cigarette smoke and people who are unwell.

Miss Flynn has vowed never to touch a vape again and hopes that her experience will be the wake-up call someone else needs

In recent years, e-cigarettes have become a popular tool to help people quit smoking.

But dozens of studies have warned that vaping can cause severe damage to the lungs and heart, similar to smoking standard cigarettes.

In 2021, the Government controversially set out plans to prescribe vaping in a bid to wean people off regular smoking.

Miss Flynn claimed doctors told her if she didn’t kick the habit ‘within the next year or two’, she would be forced to rely on an oxygen machine by the time she hit 30.

‘It was a bit of a wakeup call’, she said.

‘The doctor said that it’s really common for young people that use disposable vapes.’

She added: ‘I was quite shocked because all my friends vape, everyone from 18 to 25, a lot of people always carry a disposable vape around.

‘So for it to happen to me and not anyone else I know, I was a bit like “what?”’

After several hours in hospital, she was discharged and told to take steroids every morning until a follow-up appointment to review her chest health a month later.

Miss Flynn has vowed never to touch a vape again and hopes that her experience will be the wake-up call someone else needs.

She said: ‘I think it shocked a lot of people, my best friend threw her vape away as soon as I went into hospital.

‘I think a lot of people think that it’s not going to happen to them.

‘Vaping is really not worth it. I struggle with my chest every single day now and I know a lot of other people do as well and they’re still vaping.’

She added: ‘I’d urge people to throw their vapes in the bin. I know a lot of people use them as stress relief because you get a nicotine rush from it, and that’s all fine but just reduce how much you use it.

‘I think because it’s always in your hand, it’s not like a cigarette where you go out and light it, that’s why people use them so much.’

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 22:28:24
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1995713
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

tauto said:


tauto said:

Kingy said:

If a person was about to buy a company/business, and has the profit and loss statements for the last 7 years, and the list of assets…

Apart from the list of debts, what would that person need to be aware of in order to not unexpectedly find himself in a pile of shit?

___

The biggest trap would be a new large competitor has or will enter the local market.

—-

Also you need independant valuations of the assets.

have a chat with a chartered accountant familiar with the industry the business is in

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 22:41:11
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1995714
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Everything You Need to Know About Popcorn Lung

What is popcorn lung?

Symptoms

Causes

E-cigarette use

Diagnosis

Treatment

Prevention

Outlook

Popcorn lung refers to a rare lung disease that causes scarring and inflammation in the bronchioles. This can cause a persistent dry cough and shortness of breath.

What is popcorn lung?

Bronchiolitis obliterans is a rare form of lung disease. It’s commonly called popcorn lung.

Popcorn lung results in scarring and inflammation to the bronchioles. These are the lung’s smallest airways. When they’re inflamed, symptoms like coughing, shortness of breath, and difficulty breathing can occur.

A CT scan of someone with popcorn lung. Image courtesy of Xie, B-Q, et al./PLOS
“Popcorn lung” may sound strange, but there’s a reason behind the name. Workers in a popcorn factory became sick after breathing in harmful chemicals.

One of those chemicals is diacetyl. It’s an artificial butter-flavored ingredient found in:

popcorn

flavored coffee

fruit drinks

caramel

some dairy products

While the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) considers diacetyl generally safe to eat, it’s dangerous when inhaled.

Many food companies have removed diacetyl from their products, but it’s still found in many electronic cigarette (e-cig) flavors, leading to cases of popcorn lung in people who vape.

Here’s a closer look at common popcorn lung symptoms, other chemicals and medical conditions that can cause it, and how it’s treated.

What are the symptoms?

Symptoms of popcorn lung are similar to those of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Popcorn lung symptoms often occur 2 to 8 weeks after illness or exposure to harmful chemicals, particles, or toxic fumes.

Common symptoms include difficulty breathing and a persistent, progressive, and dry cough.

Once symptoms show up, they often occur regularly. They’re not episodic like asthma symptoms, for example.

Other symptoms may include:

flu-like illness with fever

unexplained fatigue

weight loss

wheezing

eye, skin, mouth, or nose irritation, if caused by chemical exposure

Get care now

Seek immediate medical attention if your symptoms worsen, or if you experience:

difficulty breathing

shortness of breath

chest pain

dizziness

What causes it?

Popcorn lung can result from inhalation of certain harmful chemicals, particles, and toxic fumes found in microwave popcorn factories and e-cigarettes.

However, the toxic fumes and chemicals associated with popcorn lung aren’t limited to just these factories or e-cigarettes.

Other chemicals that may contribute to popcorn lung when inhaled include:

chlorine

ammonia

sulfur dioxide

nitrogen dioxide

fumes from welding

acetaldehyde

formaldehyde

hydrochloric acid

phosgene

mustard gas

Certain health conditions are linked to popcorn lung as well. Some of these include:

respiratory illnesses, such as pneumonia or bronchitis

viral infections, such as respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)

collagen vascular diseases

drug reactions

Inflammation and scarring resulting from a lung transplant can also cause popcorn lung.

Typically, it takes 2 to 8 weeks after illness or chemical exposure for symptoms to begin. In other cases, like a lung transplant, it may take several months or years before symptoms appear.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 23:03:41
From: Kingy
ID: 1995715
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

tauto said:


tauto said:

Kingy said:

If a person was about to buy a company/business, and has the profit and loss statements for the last 7 years, and the list of assets…

Apart from the list of debts, what would that person need to be aware of in order to not unexpectedly find himself in a pile of shit?

___

The biggest trap would be a new large competitor has or will enter the local market.

—-

Also you need independant valuations of the assets.

I know exactly what the assets are worth.

And there were only two/three earthworking companies in the area when I started, but now there are 20+ competitors.

They can undercut each other as much as they want, but the original company is still here.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 23:06:37
From: party_pants
ID: 1995716
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


tauto said:

tauto said:

___

The biggest trap would be a new large competitor has or will enter the local market.

—-

Also you need independant valuations of the assets.

I know exactly what the assets are worth.

And there were only two/three earthworking companies in the area when I started, but now there are 20+ competitors.

They can undercut each other as much as they want, but the original company is still here.

are you looking at buying out the company you work for?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 23:13:47
From: tauto
ID: 1995718
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


tauto said:

tauto said:

___

The biggest trap would be a new large competitor has or will enter the local market.

—-

Also you need independant valuations of the assets.

I know exactly what the assets are worth.

And there were only two/three earthworking companies in the area when I started, but now there are 20+ competitors.

They can undercut each other as much as they want, but the original company is still here.

—

Sounds good.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 23:14:41
From: Kingy
ID: 1995719
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Kingy said:

tauto said:

—-

Also you need independant valuations of the assets.

I know exactly what the assets are worth.

And there were only two/three earthworking companies in the area when I started, but now there are 20+ competitors.

They can undercut each other as much as they want, but the original company is still here.

are you looking at buying out the company you work for?

Yes. I’m going to give it a go.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 23:21:32
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995720
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


party_pants said:

Kingy said:

I know exactly what the assets are worth.

And there were only two/three earthworking companies in the area when I started, but now there are 20+ competitors.

They can undercut each other as much as they want, but the original company is still here.

are you looking at buying out the company you work for?

Yes. I’m going to give it a go.

“Earthworks? I always go with Global Amalgamated, they do a fine job.”

“Sure, they used to. But I hear old Garbanzo has retired, and the firm has been taken over by some nobody.”

“Oh, Kingy ain’t exactly a nobody. He runs the fire service round these ways, and he’s been moving earth since Adam was a boy.”

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 23:37:48
From: Woodie
ID: 1995721
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


If a person was about to buy a company/business, and has the profit and loss statements for the last 7 years, and the list of assets…

Apart from the list of debts, what would that person need to be aware of in order to not unexpectedly find himself in a pile of shit?

Cashflow. Balance sheet and customer database.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 23:41:45
From: Woodie
ID: 1995722
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

monkey skipper said:


Vape addict who fell asleep cradling her e-cig has ‘popcorn lung’

A woman’s addiction to vaping left her hospitalised with a rare lung condition which doctors warned could have left her reliant on an oxygen machine before she turned 30.

Abby Flynn, from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, had never smoked a cigarette before but took up e-cigarettes in summer 2021 because they were ‘trendy’.

Quickly hooked on the devices, she found herself demolishing an entire cartridge of vape fluid each day — the equivalent of 140 cigarettes a week.

But she was left gasping for breath one morning, after a cough she developed when she first began vaping became uncontrollable.

Tests taken in hospital revealed the 20-year-old had developed ‘popcorn lung’ — an irreversible lung injury that can be fatal without treatment.

Miss Flynn has vowed to never vape again after doctors told her of the life-changing consequences she’d suffer if she didn’t quit.

Miss Flynn had never smoked a cigarette before but took up e-cigarettes just 18 months ago as they were ‘trendy’. Quickly hooked on the device, she found herself demolishing an entire cartridge of vape fluid each day- the equivalent of 140 cigarettes a week

Miss Flynn used to buy two disposable vapes for £9 every time she was at a corner shop, setting her back £135 a month. She would smoke a range of sweet flavours — including bubble gum.

‘When I started it was a trend that was going around — everyone had a disposable vape,’ she said.

‘I’ve had asthma since I was around nine or ten. I started vaping about a year and a half ago. I didn’t smoke before, so I literally went straight to vaping.

‘I had it in my hand when I was driving. I’d be asleep and wake up and it would be in my hand. It was just constantly attached to me.’

But the former supermarket worker suddenly developed a persistent cough after taking up e-cigarettes.

What is popcorn lung?
‘Popcorn lung’ is the nickname for bronchiolitis obliterans, a condition which damages the smallest airways in the lungs.

It is a rare disease which can develop after an injury to the lung caused by a chemical or infection – known possible causes include chlorine, ammonia, welding fumes or food flavourings.

It got its nickname from the buttery food flavouring chemical, diacetyl, which used to be in microwaved popcorn may cause it.

Cancer Research UK says that although there are concerns e-cigarettes may cause the condition there is ‘no good evidence’ of a link so far.

People who have had lung transplants may also get the condition if their body tries to reject the organs.

Symptoms include a dry cough, difficulty breathing, wheezing or exhaustion.

The illness damages the lungs by causing swelling and scarring which block up the small airways in the organs, known as the bronchioles.

Obstruction in the bronchioles means the lungs have a smaller surface area through which they can absorb oxygen, so people may struggle to breathe efficiently.

Sources: Cancer Research UK and National Institutes of Health

At first it niggled but over the course of 18 months, the cough progressively took hold.

And in January, Miss Flynn woke to find she couldn’t breathe properly and took herself to Milton Keynes Hospital Walk-in Centre.

She said: ‘I was laying there in the walk-in centre panicking and was crying because I couldn’t catch my breath. I couldn’t walk and my cough was just awful.

‘It was really scary. Initially I didn’t know what was wrong, I knew I had asthma but it wasn’t a feeling of an asthma attack.’

Swiftly taken to resus by medics, she was given oxygen and had an X-ray.

Doctors then diagnosed her with bronchiolitis obliterans — or ‘popcorn lung’.

Ask the professionals

She added: ‘They asked if I used disposable vapes. They said I had loads of air pockets in my lungs, which is what they call “popcorn lung”.’

The condition is a rare type of lung disease, triggered by inflammation in bronchioles — the smallest airways in the lungs — which become scarred.

Scientists have suggested there may be a possible link between the disease and a chemical called diacetyl. However, further research is required.

Some liquids in e-cigarettes used to contain diacetyl, but in the UK the chemical was banned in e-cigarette liquids under the EU Tobacco Products Directive in 2016.

Cancer Research UK says there have been no confirmed cases of popcorn lung reported in people who use e-cigarette.

As well toxic chemicals, infections and autoimmune diseases can also cause popcorn lung. It is unclear how many people suffer from the rare condition affects.

Tell-tale signs include coughing, shortness of breath, wheezing, tiredness, fever, night sweats and a rash.

It was named after a group of popcorn factory workers in Missouri developed the condition after breathing in vapour from the butter flavouring added to the popcorn, which contained diacetyl.

Medics may prescribe steroids and an inhaler to reduce inflammation and help with breathing. In severe cases, a lung transplant may be required.

Sufferers require life-long care to manage their symptoms and are advised to avoid air pollution, cigarette smoke and people who are unwell.

Miss Flynn has vowed never to touch a vape again and hopes that her experience will be the wake-up call someone else needs

In recent years, e-cigarettes have become a popular tool to help people quit smoking.

But dozens of studies have warned that vaping can cause severe damage to the lungs and heart, similar to smoking standard cigarettes.

In 2021, the Government controversially set out plans to prescribe vaping in a bid to wean people off regular smoking.

Miss Flynn claimed doctors told her if she didn’t kick the habit ‘within the next year or two’, she would be forced to rely on an oxygen machine by the time she hit 30.

‘It was a bit of a wakeup call’, she said.

‘The doctor said that it’s really common for young people that use disposable vapes.’

She added: ‘I was quite shocked because all my friends vape, everyone from 18 to 25, a lot of people always carry a disposable vape around.

‘So for it to happen to me and not anyone else I know, I was a bit like “what?”’

After several hours in hospital, she was discharged and told to take steroids every morning until a follow-up appointment to review her chest health a month later.

Miss Flynn has vowed never to touch a vape again and hopes that her experience will be the wake-up call someone else needs.

She said: ‘I think it shocked a lot of people, my best friend threw her vape away as soon as I went into hospital.

‘I think a lot of people think that it’s not going to happen to them.

‘Vaping is really not worth it. I struggle with my chest every single day now and I know a lot of other people do as well and they’re still vaping.’

She added: ‘I’d urge people to throw their vapes in the bin. I know a lot of people use them as stress relief because you get a nicotine rush from it, and that’s all fine but just reduce how much you use it.

‘I think because it’s always in your hand, it’s not like a cigarette where you go out and light it, that’s why people use them so much.’

You cannot legislate against stupidity.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 23:44:10
From: party_pants
ID: 1995723
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


monkey skipper said:

Vape addict who fell asleep cradling her e-cig has ‘popcorn lung’

A woman’s addiction to vaping left her hospitalised with a rare lung condition which doctors warned could have left her reliant on an oxygen machine before she turned 30.

Abby Flynn, from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, had never smoked a cigarette before but took up e-cigarettes in summer 2021 because they were ‘trendy’.

Quickly hooked on the devices, she found herself demolishing an entire cartridge of vape fluid each day — the equivalent of 140 cigarettes a week.

But she was left gasping for breath one morning, after a cough she developed when she first began vaping became uncontrollable.

Tests taken in hospital revealed the 20-year-old had developed ‘popcorn lung’ — an irreversible lung injury that can be fatal without treatment.

Miss Flynn has vowed to never vape again after doctors told her of the life-changing consequences she’d suffer if she didn’t quit.

Miss Flynn had never smoked a cigarette before but took up e-cigarettes just 18 months ago as they were ‘trendy’. Quickly hooked on the device, she found herself demolishing an entire cartridge of vape fluid each day- the equivalent of 140 cigarettes a week

Miss Flynn used to buy two disposable vapes for £9 every time she was at a corner shop, setting her back £135 a month. She would smoke a range of sweet flavours — including bubble gum.

‘When I started it was a trend that was going around — everyone had a disposable vape,’ she said.

‘I’ve had asthma since I was around nine or ten. I started vaping about a year and a half ago. I didn’t smoke before, so I literally went straight to vaping.

‘I had it in my hand when I was driving. I’d be asleep and wake up and it would be in my hand. It was just constantly attached to me.’

But the former supermarket worker suddenly developed a persistent cough after taking up e-cigarettes.

What is popcorn lung?
‘Popcorn lung’ is the nickname for bronchiolitis obliterans, a condition which damages the smallest airways in the lungs.

It is a rare disease which can develop after an injury to the lung caused by a chemical or infection – known possible causes include chlorine, ammonia, welding fumes or food flavourings.

It got its nickname from the buttery food flavouring chemical, diacetyl, which used to be in microwaved popcorn may cause it.

Cancer Research UK says that although there are concerns e-cigarettes may cause the condition there is ‘no good evidence’ of a link so far.

People who have had lung transplants may also get the condition if their body tries to reject the organs.

Symptoms include a dry cough, difficulty breathing, wheezing or exhaustion.

The illness damages the lungs by causing swelling and scarring which block up the small airways in the organs, known as the bronchioles.

Obstruction in the bronchioles means the lungs have a smaller surface area through which they can absorb oxygen, so people may struggle to breathe efficiently.

Sources: Cancer Research UK and National Institutes of Health

At first it niggled but over the course of 18 months, the cough progressively took hold.

And in January, Miss Flynn woke to find she couldn’t breathe properly and took herself to Milton Keynes Hospital Walk-in Centre.

She said: ‘I was laying there in the walk-in centre panicking and was crying because I couldn’t catch my breath. I couldn’t walk and my cough was just awful.

‘It was really scary. Initially I didn’t know what was wrong, I knew I had asthma but it wasn’t a feeling of an asthma attack.’

Swiftly taken to resus by medics, she was given oxygen and had an X-ray.

Doctors then diagnosed her with bronchiolitis obliterans — or ‘popcorn lung’.

Ask the professionals

She added: ‘They asked if I used disposable vapes. They said I had loads of air pockets in my lungs, which is what they call “popcorn lung”.’

The condition is a rare type of lung disease, triggered by inflammation in bronchioles — the smallest airways in the lungs — which become scarred.

Scientists have suggested there may be a possible link between the disease and a chemical called diacetyl. However, further research is required.

Some liquids in e-cigarettes used to contain diacetyl, but in the UK the chemical was banned in e-cigarette liquids under the EU Tobacco Products Directive in 2016.

Cancer Research UK says there have been no confirmed cases of popcorn lung reported in people who use e-cigarette.

As well toxic chemicals, infections and autoimmune diseases can also cause popcorn lung. It is unclear how many people suffer from the rare condition affects.

Tell-tale signs include coughing, shortness of breath, wheezing, tiredness, fever, night sweats and a rash.

It was named after a group of popcorn factory workers in Missouri developed the condition after breathing in vapour from the butter flavouring added to the popcorn, which contained diacetyl.

Medics may prescribe steroids and an inhaler to reduce inflammation and help with breathing. In severe cases, a lung transplant may be required.

Sufferers require life-long care to manage their symptoms and are advised to avoid air pollution, cigarette smoke and people who are unwell.

Miss Flynn has vowed never to touch a vape again and hopes that her experience will be the wake-up call someone else needs

In recent years, e-cigarettes have become a popular tool to help people quit smoking.

But dozens of studies have warned that vaping can cause severe damage to the lungs and heart, similar to smoking standard cigarettes.

In 2021, the Government controversially set out plans to prescribe vaping in a bid to wean people off regular smoking.

Miss Flynn claimed doctors told her if she didn’t kick the habit ‘within the next year or two’, she would be forced to rely on an oxygen machine by the time she hit 30.

‘It was a bit of a wakeup call’, she said.

‘The doctor said that it’s really common for young people that use disposable vapes.’

She added: ‘I was quite shocked because all my friends vape, everyone from 18 to 25, a lot of people always carry a disposable vape around.

‘So for it to happen to me and not anyone else I know, I was a bit like “what?”’

After several hours in hospital, she was discharged and told to take steroids every morning until a follow-up appointment to review her chest health a month later.

Miss Flynn has vowed never to touch a vape again and hopes that her experience will be the wake-up call someone else needs.

She said: ‘I think it shocked a lot of people, my best friend threw her vape away as soon as I went into hospital.

‘I think a lot of people think that it’s not going to happen to them.

‘Vaping is really not worth it. I struggle with my chest every single day now and I know a lot of other people do as well and they’re still vaping.’

She added: ‘I’d urge people to throw their vapes in the bin. I know a lot of people use them as stress relief because you get a nicotine rush from it, and that’s all fine but just reduce how much you use it.

‘I think because it’s always in your hand, it’s not like a cigarette where you go out and light it, that’s why people use them so much.’

You cannot legislate against stupidity.

You can. But you’d just create a whole new bunch of criminals….

Reply Quote

Date: 17/02/2023 23:44:16
From: Woodie
ID: 1995724
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


party_pants said:

Kingy said:

I know exactly what the assets are worth.

And there were only two/three earthworking companies in the area when I started, but now there are 20+ competitors.

They can undercut each other as much as they want, but the original company is still here.

are you looking at buying out the company you work for?

Yes. I’m going to give it a go.

Do you intend to pay cash, or use borrowings/debt to fund it?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 00:05:52
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995726
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’ll do tonight’s Phrazle tomorrow, I have a stuffy nose.

I’m off in search of a relaxing train ride.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 00:09:13
From: tauto
ID: 1995729
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Kingy said:

party_pants said:

are you looking at buying out the company you work for?

Yes. I’m going to give it a go.

Do you intend to pay cash, or use borrowings/debt to fund it?

___

And, you will have to retire from the fire service, you can’t invigorate a new business without full focus.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 00:28:22
From: btm
ID: 1995732
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar, you might know, as might Woodie or party_pants; I sometimes take a train to Melbourne, and in some parts of the line a second track runs along the track the train I’m on is running on. Often there are two tracks between the main tracks that sometimes finish by just stopping and other times by coming to a point. They divide the space between the main tracks into three approximately equal regions.

You can see what I mean at 2:38 to 2:45 in this train driver’s view video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=facDr2lTAUM on a line in Norway.

What’s the purpose of that inner track?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 00:42:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995733
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


Bubblecar, you might know, as might Woodie or party_pants; I sometimes take a train to Melbourne, and in some parts of the line a second track runs along the track the train I’m on is running on. Often there are two tracks between the main tracks that sometimes finish by just stopping and other times by coming to a point. They divide the space between the main tracks into three approximately equal regions.

You can see what I mean at 2:38 to 2:45 in this train driver’s view video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=facDr2lTAUM on a line in Norway.

What’s the purpose of that inner track?

You’ll notice that’s running over a bridge. Those inner rails are check rails or guard rails rails which help keep the train from derailing at this vulnerable point.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 00:43:09
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995734
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


btm said:

Bubblecar, you might know, as might Woodie or party_pants; I sometimes take a train to Melbourne, and in some parts of the line a second track runs along the track the train I’m on is running on. Often there are two tracks between the main tracks that sometimes finish by just stopping and other times by coming to a point. They divide the space between the main tracks into three approximately equal regions.

You can see what I mean at 2:38 to 2:45 in this train driver’s view video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=facDr2lTAUM on a line in Norway.

What’s the purpose of that inner track?

You’ll notice that’s running over a bridge. Those inner rails are check rails or guard rails rails which help keep the train from derailing at this vulnerable point.

guard rails rails = guard rails :)

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 01:12:33
From: Kingy
ID: 1995735
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

tauto said:


Woodie said:

Kingy said:

Yes. I’m going to give it a go.

Do you intend to pay cash, or use borrowings/debt to fund it?

___

And, you will have to retire from the fire service, you can’t invigorate a new business without full focus.

Ah dammit.

I’m trying to make my brigade the best one in WA.

Just because it takes up all my spare time to do so, doesn’t necessarily mean that I don’t also have a lot of “spare” time to run a business.

…

Does anyone have any spare time that I could borrow for a while?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 06:31:39
From: buffy
ID: 1995739
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. It is presently a lovely 10 degrees and still dark. Sunup today is about 7.05 and it looks like Saturn rises with the sun today. We are forecast a partly cloudy 26.

No particular plans for today. Gardening, I think. I should probably run the mower over Auntie Annie’s grass while it is cool enough to do it reasonably comfortably.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 06:34:52
From: buffy
ID: 1995740
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

monkey skipper said:


tauto said:

tauto said:

___

The biggest trap would be a new large competitor has or will enter the local market.

—-

Also you need independant valuations of the assets.

have a chat with a chartered accountant familiar with the industry the business is in

This. It’s worth paying an expert.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 07:15:16
From: poikilotherm
ID: 1995741
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The balance sheet as well as the P&L, if you don’t know how to read it learn or pay an accountant.

Are there any employees?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 07:16:04
From: poikilotherm
ID: 1995742
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Oops.

Good morning, earlier post was a response to Kingy.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 07:31:18
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995743
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Sleeping Lady, a 5,000 year old figure found in the Hypogeum, an underground Neolithic tomb complex in Malta.

This peaceful lady may represent the eternal sleep of death.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 07:48:15
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995744
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


roughbarked said:

dv said:

Still my favourite Australian beer

Have never tried it. Haven’t seen it in my shops.

Where do you live?

Iin Australia.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 07:49:32
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995745
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Oh, and the mushroom I put up before has been confirmed by two others as Chlorophyllum brunneum (shaggy parasol).

As I thought.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 07:51:25
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995746
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


buffy said:

btm said:

FWIW, I suggest you don’t eat it, although it’s classified as edible. C. brunneum is almost identical to C. molybdites, a much more toxic mushroom; they can be distinguished by spoor print (C. brunneum is white; C. molybdites is green)

I have no intention of eating them. It’s not in good enough nick anyway, but I only eat supermarket mushrooms. So if I die, they can get the blame…

Oh, and there are no records on iNaturalist for C. molybdites in Victoria. There are 303 for C. brunneum.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=7830&taxon_id=58693

And 37 for C. rhacodes.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=7830&taxon_id=56535

I’m not entirely sure about the difference between those two.

There may not be any C. molybdites in Victoria but it is in Australia NSW. I have seen it here.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 07:52:26
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995747
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Kingy said:

Firefox is just now deciding to outline highlighted posts in the “By Time” list with a blue and white outline. It wasn’t doing that half an hour ago.

Is that universal, or just me?

started doing that to me a few days ago.


Might depend on your platform.
Not happening here.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 08:17:24
From: transition
ID: 1995748
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

hears few bird
peewees goin’ off
sparrow a few
also’s crow laugh
reversin’ ‘larm
I am hears trucks
now wattlebird

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 08:31:20
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995750
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.pupperish.com/deer-bones-exchange

Link

Funny.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 09:37:05
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995757
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

‘Digitally enhanced’ real estate listing for $4m Launceston property completely reworks exterior of property, garden

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/photo-enhancement-real-estate-ad-for-4m-launceston-property/101982084

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 09:56:40
From: transition
ID: 1995760
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


‘Digitally enhanced’ real estate listing for $4m Launceston property completely reworks exterior of property, garden

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/photo-enhancement-real-estate-ad-for-4m-launceston-property/101982084

just this, just that, our magical friend just greases the bullshit

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 09:59:22
From: transition
ID: 1995761
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

hear kettle’t boilin’
rumblin’t steamin’
askin’ ya coffeein’?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 10:00:00
From: Michael V
ID: 1995763
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


‘Digitally enhanced’ real estate listing for $4m Launceston property completely reworks exterior of property, garden

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/photo-enhancement-real-estate-ad-for-4m-launceston-property/101982084

Is there any harm in that?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 10:06:00
From: Tamb
ID: 1995766
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

‘Digitally enhanced’ real estate listing for $4m Launceston property completely reworks exterior of property, garden

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/photo-enhancement-real-estate-ad-for-4m-launceston-property/101982084

Is there any harm in that?

Artists impression.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 10:13:47
From: transition
ID: 1995767
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

‘Digitally enhanced’ real estate listing for $4m Launceston property completely reworks exterior of property, garden

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/photo-enhancement-real-estate-ad-for-4m-launceston-property/101982084

Is there any harm in that?

Artists impression.

potentially alienating though of people with less money that want a rundown derelict property, i’m sensing hints of financial discrimination in the price

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 10:20:07
From: dv
ID: 1995768
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Tamb said:

Michael V said:

Is there any harm in that?

Artists impression.

potentially alienating though of people with less money that want a rundown derelict property, i’m sensing hints of financial discrimination in the price

REAs have always used a bit of artistic licence but if I see what I think is a photograph of a nice new roof and I get there and it’s a rusted out piece of shit that needs to be replaced, I’ll be less than fully gruntled.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 10:30:08
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995770
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

‘Digitally enhanced’ real estate listing for $4m Launceston property completely reworks exterior of property, garden

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/photo-enhancement-real-estate-ad-for-4m-launceston-property/101982084

Is there any harm in that?

No. And I note that it does say artist’s impression on pics. But you aren’t actually buying another’s vision. As long as there is a goodly number of actual shots…

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 10:44:06
From: buffy
ID: 1995772
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Goodness, Viceland is covering cross country running.

World Cross Country Championships 2023

Saturday, 18 Feb

3:30 PM – 8:00 PM

ctc

The World Athletics Cross Country Championships, Bathurst 2023 will feature a range of public events which will see everyday runners competing over the actual World Cross Country Championship Course. From School Challenges and Clubs races through to the Golden Ticket races which will see placegetters make it through to the actual World Championships.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 10:44:14
From: dv
ID: 1995773
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bulgarian police find 18 people dead in abandoned truck

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64680538

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 10:44:18
From: Tamb
ID: 1995774
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

‘Digitally enhanced’ real estate listing for $4m Launceston property completely reworks exterior of property, garden

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/photo-enhancement-real-estate-ad-for-4m-launceston-property/101982084

Is there any harm in that?

No. And I note that it does say artist’s impression on pics. But you aren’t actually buying another’s vision. As long as there is a goodly number of actual shots…


So they are saying “Give us 4mill then spend another very large sum to make the place look like the photo”

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 10:51:10
From: buffy
ID: 1995776
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Happy story.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-18/tas-risdon-prison-pups-on-parole-program-benefit-inmates/101991476

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 10:57:15
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995777
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


sarahs mum said:

Michael V said:

Is there any harm in that?

No. And I note that it does say artist’s impression on pics. But you aren’t actually buying another’s vision. As long as there is a goodly number of actual shots…


So they are saying “Give us 4mill then spend another very large sum to make the place look like the photo”

Pay us twice as much as we paid for it coz we had a vision.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:10:44
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995779
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning punters.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:12:00
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1995780
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Morning punters.

What’s the good word on the 3rd race at Benalla?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:12:22
From: party_pants
ID: 1995781
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Tamb said:

Michael V said:

Is there any harm in that?

Artists impression.

potentially alienating though of people with less money that want a rundown derelict property, i’m sensing hints of financial discrimination in the price

It’s more an idea of what it could look like if you hired a gardener and a painter.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:17:47
From: Tamb
ID: 1995782
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


transition said:

Tamb said:

Artists impression.

potentially alienating though of people with less money that want a rundown derelict property, i’m sensing hints of financial discrimination in the price

It’s more an idea of what it could look like if you hired a gardener and a painter.


In the 80s a friend of mine who lived in Vaucluse sold her house for 3mill. The developer had the place bulldozed. It was bought for the harbour views.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:19:25
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1995783
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


party_pants said:

transition said:

potentially alienating though of people with less money that want a rundown derelict property, i’m sensing hints of financial discrimination in the price

It’s more an idea of what it could look like if you hired a gardener and a painter.


In the 80s a friend of mine who lived in Vaucluse sold her house for 3mill. The developer had the place bulldozed. It was bought for the harbour views.

3 million was a lot of money back in those days!

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:21:42
From: ms spock
ID: 1995784
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Lá te a bheidh ann inniu!

It is going to be a warm day here today!

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:21:44
From: Tamb
ID: 1995785
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Tamb said:

party_pants said:

It’s more an idea of what it could look like if you hired a gardener and a painter.


In the 80s a friend of mine who lived in Vaucluse sold her house for 3mill. The developer had the place bulldozed. It was bought for the harbour views.

3 million was a lot of money back in those days!


It was enormous but the yuppies thought a Vaucluse property with harbour views was well worth it.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:25:51
From: Tamb
ID: 1995787
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

Lá te a bheidh ann inniu!

It is going to be a warm day here today!


Good morning ms Anseo a bheidh sé 24°

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:26:09
From: kii
ID: 1995788
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Gracie died on Wednesday.
Over the past week she deteriorated quickly. Wednesday morning she appeared to lose her vision and kept walking in circles to the right. The vet’s diagnosis was probably a tumour, the prognosis wasn’t good.
I had her euthanised.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:27:50
From: party_pants
ID: 1995789
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


party_pants said:

transition said:

potentially alienating though of people with less money that want a rundown derelict property, i’m sensing hints of financial discrimination in the price

It’s more an idea of what it could look like if you hired a gardener and a painter.


In the 80s a friend of mine who lived in Vaucluse sold her house for 3mill. The developer had the place bulldozed. It was bought for the harbour views.

Good job too, most likely. Old houses should get demolished and replaced with more modern structures.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:28:34
From: ms spock
ID: 1995790
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Gracie died on Wednesday.
Over the past week she deteriorated quickly. Wednesday morning she appeared to lose her vision and kept walking in circles to the right. The vet’s diagnosis was probably a tumour, the prognosis wasn’t good.
I had her euthanised.

I am so sorry to read that kii!

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:29:28
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995791
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Gracie died on Wednesday.
Over the past week she deteriorated quickly. Wednesday morning she appeared to lose her vision and kept walking in circles to the right. The vet’s diagnosis was probably a tumour, the prognosis wasn’t good.
I had her euthanised.

Oh kii, that is sad.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:31:37
From: ms spock
ID: 1995792
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Lá te a bheidh ann inniu!

It is going to be a warm day here today!


Good morning ms Anseo a bheidh sé 24°

Dia duit Tamb! (Hello)

Anseo a bheidh sé 27°

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:33:50
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995793
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

Tamb said:

In the 80s a friend of mine who lived in Vaucluse sold her house for 3mill. The developer had the place bulldozed. It was bought for the harbour views.

3 million was a lot of money back in those days!


It was enormous but the yuppies thought a Vaucluse property with harbour views was well worth it.

A while back some locals inherited a block at Vaucluse. they thought they might build something on it and then flog it. turns out they couldn’t even afford the fees and just sold it as is.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:35:03
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995794
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Gracie died on Wednesday.
Over the past week she deteriorated quickly. Wednesday morning she appeared to lose her vision and kept walking in circles to the right. The vet’s diagnosis was probably a tumour, the prognosis wasn’t good.
I had her euthanised.

Oh. Kii. Damn. I am sorry and I do feel. Damn.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:35:46
From: Tamb
ID: 1995795
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Gracie died on Wednesday.
Over the past week she deteriorated quickly. Wednesday morning she appeared to lose her vision and kept walking in circles to the right. The vet’s diagnosis was probably a tumour, the prognosis wasn’t good.
I had her euthanised.

How sad. Dis Grace brought much happiness to all of us.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:39:33
From: buffy
ID: 1995797
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Gracie died on Wednesday.
Over the past week she deteriorated quickly. Wednesday morning she appeared to lose her vision and kept walking in circles to the right. The vet’s diagnosis was probably a tumour, the prognosis wasn’t good.
I had her euthanised.

This is sad. Remember her well.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:43:15
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995799
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tasmanian History
David Cooper · 24 m ·
Here is an old photo of my Cooper ancestors from Moonah (except for the two eldest boys who are missing due to WW1). I’m guessing it was taken around 1916. Boys are Ernest b: 1898, John b: 1903, Frank b: 1907. Girls are Janet b: 1900 & Doris b: 1912

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:45:23
From: ms spock
ID: 1995801
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Tasmanian History
David Cooper · 24 m ·
Here is an old photo of my Cooper ancestors from Moonah (except for the two eldest boys who are missing due to WW1). I’m guessing it was taken around 1916. Boys are Ernest b: 1898, John b: 1903, Frank b: 1907. Girls are Janet b: 1900 & Doris b: 1912

Wow a generation was lost that is so sad.

It’s amazing to have such photos of your family!

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:50:15
From: ms spock
ID: 1995802
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


monkey skipper said:

tauto said:

—-

Also you need independant valuations of the assets.

have a chat with a chartered accountant familiar with the industry the business is in

This. It’s worth paying an expert.

How would you know which one can be trusted though buffy? If you are not part of that industry?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:50:47
From: ms spock
ID: 1995803
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


The Sleeping Lady, a 5,000 year old figure found in the Hypogeum, an underground Neolithic tomb complex in Malta.

This peaceful lady may represent the eternal sleep of death.


Iontach! (Amazing!)

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 11:57:12
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995804
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

Tasmanian History
David Cooper · 24 m ·
Here is an old photo of my Cooper ancestors from Moonah (except for the two eldest boys who are missing due to WW1). I’m guessing it was taken around 1916. Boys are Ernest b: 1898, John b: 1903, Frank b: 1907. Girls are Janet b: 1900 & Doris b: 1912

Wow a generation was lost that is so sad.

It’s amazing to have such photos of your family!

not my family. I posted for Mr car who last night was posting overloaded side car photos.

This is my WW1 family. It is a tragic story.

https://www.johngraycentre.org/about/museums-service/exhibitions/war-east-lothian-1914-18/war-east-lothian-1914-18-online/cranston-family/

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 12:01:19
From: Tamb
ID: 1995805
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

Tasmanian History
David Cooper · 24 m ·
Here is an old photo of my Cooper ancestors from Moonah (except for the two eldest boys who are missing due to WW1). I’m guessing it was taken around 1916. Boys are Ernest b: 1898, John b: 1903, Frank b: 1907. Girls are Janet b: 1900 & Doris b: 1912

Wow a generation was lost that is so sad.

It’s amazing to have such photos of your family!

not my family. I posted for Mr car who last night was posting overloaded side car photos.

This is my WW1 family. It is a tragic story.

https://www.johngraycentre.org/about/museums-service/exhibitions/war-east-lothian-1914-18/war-east-lothian-1914-18-online/cranston-family/


Our extended family have been extremely fortunate. Fought in all the wars since the Boer war & every one of them came home physically undamaged.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 12:02:03
From: Michael V
ID: 1995806
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

Lá te a bheidh ann inniu!

It is going to be a warm day here today!

It’s getting that way here.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 12:02:50
From: Michael V
ID: 1995807
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Gracie died on Wednesday.
Over the past week she deteriorated quickly. Wednesday morning she appeared to lose her vision and kept walking in circles to the right. The vet’s diagnosis was probably a tumour, the prognosis wasn’t good.
I had her euthanised.

Oh. I feel for you.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 12:03:27
From: Michael V
ID: 1995808
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Tamb said:

party_pants said:

It’s more an idea of what it could look like if you hired a gardener and a painter.


In the 80s a friend of mine who lived in Vaucluse sold her house for 3mill. The developer had the place bulldozed. It was bought for the harbour views.

Good job too, most likely. Old houses should get demolished and replaced with more modern structures.

Certainly the Australian way.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 12:05:29
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995809
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


kii said:

Gracie died on Wednesday.
Over the past week she deteriorated quickly. Wednesday morning she appeared to lose her vision and kept walking in circles to the right. The vet’s diagnosis was probably a tumour, the prognosis wasn’t good.
I had her euthanised.

Oh. I feel for you.

:(

me too.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 12:10:14
From: Michael V
ID: 1995811
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

Tasmanian History
David Cooper · 24 m ·
Here is an old photo of my Cooper ancestors from Moonah (except for the two eldest boys who are missing due to WW1). I’m guessing it was taken around 1916. Boys are Ernest b: 1898, John b: 1903, Frank b: 1907. Girls are Janet b: 1900 & Doris b: 1912

Wow a generation was lost that is so sad.

It’s amazing to have such photos of your family!

not my family. I posted for Mr car who last night was posting overloaded side car photos.

This is my WW1 family. It is a tragic story.

https://www.johngraycentre.org/about/museums-service/exhibitions/war-east-lothian-1914-18/war-east-lothian-1914-18-online/cranston-family/

War is awful.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 12:10:33
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995812
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“Charlie Read, son of ‘Chopper’, remanded on drugs, driving, firearms charges in Tasmania”

Old Chas, a chip off the old block.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 12:20:37
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1995817
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


kii said:

Gracie died on Wednesday.
Over the past week she deteriorated quickly. Wednesday morning she appeared to lose her vision and kept walking in circles to the right. The vet’s diagnosis was probably a tumour, the prognosis wasn’t good.
I had her euthanised.

This is sad. Remember her well.


+1

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 12:21:40
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995819
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


buffy said:

kii said:

Gracie died on Wednesday.
Over the past week she deteriorated quickly. Wednesday morning she appeared to lose her vision and kept walking in circles to the right. The vet’s diagnosis was probably a tumour, the prognosis wasn’t good.
I had her euthanised.

This is sad. Remember her well.


+1

RIP Gracie.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 12:33:38
From: buffy
ID: 1995821
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


buffy said:

monkey skipper said:

have a chat with a chartered accountant familiar with the industry the business is in

This. It’s worth paying an expert.

How would you know which one can be trusted though buffy? If you are not part of that industry?

kingy is part of the industry he is buying into. There will be accountants who know the industry, especially in WA. Kingy knows people to ask for recommendations.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 12:38:40
From: buffy
ID: 1995822
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I got a photo of the grey shrikethrush this morning. I heard an odd pipping noise and wandered around trying to locate it in the tree canopy. Then is went into the full shrikethrush melody. So I knew what it was. Then this one came down to check me out. I had my camera in my hand because I’d just wandered down to the park to photograph the jewel spiders I saw there the other day and record them for our Botanic Gardens on iNaturalist.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 12:39:36
From: Woodie
ID: 1995824
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


AussieDJ said:

buffy said:

This is sad. Remember her well.


+1

RIP Gracie.

Ditto.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 12:41:43
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995825
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


ms spock said:

buffy said:

This. It’s worth paying an expert.

How would you know which one can be trusted though buffy? If you are not part of that industry?

kingy is part of the industry he is buying into. There will be accountants who know the industry, especially in WA. Kingy knows people to ask for recommendations.

There is the economy. interest rates. All that. I am thinking that there will probably be months of bookings for the company if it is anything like Tassie. but who knows what the future holds? although it does look like the jobs kingy has been working on are multi millin dollar ones.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 12:42:17
From: transition
ID: 1995826
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


AussieDJ said:

buffy said:

This is sad. Remember her well.


+1

RIP Gracie.

offspring lost both her husky-lab Xs back a way, first the healthiest had a life-depriving experience with a large dorito packet over its head one night, frantic efforts to resuscitate when found but was too late

other with health problems eventually got a home visit from the vet for a perpetual sleep

they were offspring’s babies, loved them that way

now she has bizzi is all, went from three to one

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 12:43:27
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995827
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Auspol Bulletin
1 m ·
NEWS CORP STILL INFRINGING BRITTANY HIGGINS’S PRIVACY
Brittany Higgins speaks out.
“I took a photo of an old page in my diary on the 7th of July 2021.
It is now being referenced in an article in the Australian.
This is the third time private images, texts and WhatsApps from my phone have been published by this particular news outlet.
I voluntarily provided this material to the police to help them form the brief of evidence and none of it was tabled in court.
Therefore, no journalist should have seen the photo of my diary
Stop publishing the private contents of my phone.
I entrusted police with my private information for the sole purpose that it could aid their investigation into my sexual assault, nothing else”.
After all she has been through , the verminous parasites at News Corp still see fit to publish Brittany’s private details .
RW/AB #NeverTrustNewsCorp #MurdochRoyalCommission

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 13:50:27
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995833
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

John West wild caught tuna in olive oil with bread and salad washed down with a cup of tea (black and one)
Over.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 14:26:20
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995847
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Did sibeen and his wife drown yesterday?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 14:31:31
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995849
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Did sibeen and his wife drown yesterday?

I don’t know what’s become of sibeen.

That Melbourne couple drowned some days ago.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 14:34:19
From: Tamb
ID: 1995851
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Did sibeen and his wife drown yesterday?

I don’t know what’s become of sibeen.

That Melbourne couple drowned some days ago.


Slack bugger. There’s a Test on. Being dead is no excuse.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 14:34:20
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1995852
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


sarahs mum said:

Michael V said:

Is there any harm in that?

No. And I note that it does say artist’s impression on pics. But you aren’t actually buying another’s vision. As long as there is a goodly number of actual shots…


So they are saying “Give us 4mill then spend another very large sum to make the place look like the photo”

They are selling the sizzle not the steak.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 14:35:46
From: Michael V
ID: 1995853
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Did sibeen and his wife drown yesterday?

I don’t know. I hope not.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 14:35:59
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995854
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


Tamb said:

sarahs mum said:

No. And I note that it does say artist’s impression on pics. But you aren’t actually buying another’s vision. As long as there is a goodly number of actual shots…


So they are saying “Give us 4mill then spend another very large sum to make the place look like the photo”

They are selling the sizzle not the steak.

I’m going to use that one and pretend I made it up and there’s nothing you can do about it.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 14:36:39
From: Michael V
ID: 1995855
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Bubblecar said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Did sibeen and his wife drown yesterday?

I don’t know what’s become of sibeen.

That Melbourne couple drowned some days ago.


Slack bugger. There’s a Test on. Being dead is no excuse.

LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 14:37:13
From: Michael V
ID: 1995856
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


PermeateFree said:

Tamb said:

So they are saying “Give us 4mill then spend another very large sum to make the place look like the photo”

They are selling the sizzle not the steak.

I’m going to use that one and pretend I made it up and there’s nothing you can do about it.

You’ve not heard it before?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 14:38:47
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995859
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Peak Warming Man said:

PermeateFree said:

They are selling the sizzle not the steak.

I’m going to use that one and pretend I made it up and there’s nothing you can do about it.

You’ve not heard it before?

I have but not for a long time.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 14:41:03
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995860
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


kii said:

Gracie died on Wednesday.
Over the past week she deteriorated quickly. Wednesday morning she appeared to lose her vision and kept walking in circles to the right. The vet’s diagnosis was probably a tumour, the prognosis wasn’t good.
I had her euthanised.

This is sad. Remember her well.

+1

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 14:41:54
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995861
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Tasmanian History
David Cooper · 24 m ·
Here is an old photo of my Cooper ancestors from Moonah (except for the two eldest boys who are missing due to WW1). I’m guessing it was taken around 1916. Boys are Ernest b: 1898, John b: 1903, Frank b: 1907. Girls are Janet b: 1900 & Doris b: 1912

Ta.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 14:51:09
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995862
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Did sibeen and his wife drown yesterday?

I don’t know what’s become of sibeen.

That Melbourne couple drowned some days ago.

OK, I thought they drowned yesterday.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 14:52:58
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995863
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Did sibeen and his wife drown yesterday?

I don’t know what’s become of sibeen.

That Melbourne couple drowned some days ago.

OK, I thought they drowned yesterday.

Sibeen’s last post here was on Wednesday morning. That couple drowned on Wednesday afternoon.

But I have no evidence that sibeen and his wife were at that or any other beach on that day.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 14:54:47
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995864
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Did sibeen and his wife drown yesterday?

I don’t know what’s become of sibeen.

That Melbourne couple drowned some days ago.

OK, I thought they drowned yesterday.

sibeen is on holiday in Mallacoota.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 14:57:10
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995865
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

If sibeen was on holiday in Malacoota and hasn’t communicated to anyone here since Wednesday morning, he could be one of the drowning victims.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:01:05
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995866
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Anyone know what suburb sibeen lives in?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:02:08
From: party_pants
ID: 1995867
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Anyone know what suburb sibeen lives in?

Essendon, I think.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:02:38
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1995868
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


PermeateFree said:

Tamb said:

So they are saying “Give us 4mill then spend another very large sum to make the place look like the photo”

They are selling the sizzle not the steak.

I’m going to use that one and pretend I made it up and there’s nothing you can do about it.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:03:46
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995869
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Bubblecar said:

I don’t know what’s become of sibeen.

That Melbourne couple drowned some days ago.

OK, I thought they drowned yesterday.

sibeen is on holiday in Mallacoota.

Sibeen probably decided to go for a swim after a big lunch and some invalid ale, had a heart attack and his wife swam out to help him and he grabbed hold of her and wouldn’t let go. It’s only speculation but yeah.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:04:32
From: dv
ID: 1995870
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:04:33
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995871
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Bubblecar said:

Anyone know what suburb sibeen lives in?

Essendon, I think.

This couple were from Pascoe Vale, nearby.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:05:53
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995872
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


party_pants said:

Bubblecar said:

Anyone know what suburb sibeen lives in?

Essendon, I think.

This couple were from Pascoe Vale, nearby.

…they were visiting their mother/mother-in-law at Mallacoota.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:07:50
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995874
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

party_pants said:

Essendon, I think.

This couple were from Pascoe Vale, nearby.

…they were visiting their mother/mother-in-law at Mallacoota.

i refuse to believe Sibeen would do anything wrong. But gee…

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:10:32
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995875
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

This couple were from Pascoe Vale, nearby.

…they were visiting their mother/mother-in-law at Mallacoota.

i refuse to believe Sibeen would do anything wrong. But gee…

I think he was a bit of a lad before the first time he died.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:10:54
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995876
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

This couple were from Pascoe Vale, nearby.

…they were visiting their mother/mother-in-law at Mallacoota.

i refuse to believe Sibeen would do anything wrong. But gee…

Well there’s not much we can do but wait. Their names haven’t been released.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:15:42
From: Tamb
ID: 1995877
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Anyone know what suburb sibeen lives in?

Sorry. I don’t even know the State.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:22:24
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995878
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

…they were visiting their mother/mother-in-law at Mallacoota.

i refuse to believe Sibeen would do anything wrong. But gee…

I think he was a bit of a lad before the first time he died.

The couple were from Melbourne, visiting their mother and mother-in-law in Mallacoota.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/couple-drowns-bastion-point-mallacoota-beach/101981368

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:41:06
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995880
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

This couple were from Pascoe Vale, nearby.

…they were visiting their mother/mother-in-law at Mallacoota.

i refuse to believe Sibeen would do anything wrong. But gee…

I’m actually worried now.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:43:58
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995882
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

…they were visiting their mother/mother-in-law at Mallacoota.

i refuse to believe Sibeen would do anything wrong. But gee…

I’m actually worried now.

Certainly not like him to ignore a test match thread, no matter where he is.

I was thinking of calling Victoria Police for more information, then I realised I don’t know sibeen’s real name.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:46:03
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995883
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:

i refuse to believe Sibeen would do anything wrong. But gee…

I’m actually worried now.

Certainly not like him to ignore a test match thread, no matter where he is.

I was thinking of calling Victoria Police for more information, then I realised I don’t know sibeen’s real name.

It’s Joe, Joe Sibeen.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:49:06
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995884
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

I’m actually worried now.

Certainly not like him to ignore a test match thread, no matter where he is.

I was thinking of calling Victoria Police for more information, then I realised I don’t know sibeen’s real name.

It’s Joe, Joe Sibeen.

Maybe he is enjoying a holiday?
It doesn’t have to be him. Ay least I hope it isn’t.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:56:34
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995886
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

sarahs mum said:

i refuse to believe Sibeen would do anything wrong. But gee…

I think he was a bit of a lad before the first time he died.

The couple were from Melbourne, visiting their mother and mother-in-law in Mallacoota.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/couple-drowns-bastion-point-mallacoota-beach/101981368

sibeens mum lives in Mallacoota.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:57:59
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995888
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Pretty sure now that couple were sibeen and his wife :(

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:58:57
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995889
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Pretty sure now that couple were sibeen and his wife :(

I seriously hope you are wrong.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 15:59:02
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995890
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Peak Warming Man said:

OK, I thought they drowned yesterday.

sibeen is on holiday in Mallacoota.

Sibeen probably decided to go for a swim after a big lunch and some invalid ale, had a heart attack and his wife swam out to help him and he grabbed hold of her and wouldn’t let go. It’s only speculation but yeah.

as long as the kids are OK.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:00:19
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995891
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

Pretty sure now that couple were sibeen and his wife :(

I seriously hope you are wrong.

Until we know for sure, maybe best not to jump at shadows.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:01:21
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995892
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Peak Warming Man said:

OK, I thought they drowned yesterday.

sibeen is on holiday in Mallacoota.

Sibeen probably decided to go for a swim after a big lunch and some invalid ale, had a heart attack and his wife swam out to help him and he grabbed hold of her and wouldn’t let go. It’s only speculation but yeah.

The article said they were separated.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:01:34
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995893
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Bubblecar said:

Pretty sure now that couple were sibeen and his wife :(

I seriously hope you are wrong.

Until we know for sure, maybe best not to jump at shadows.

so don’t start a collection for the kids just yet then?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:02:21
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995894
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

ChrispenEvan said:

sibeen is on holiday in Mallacoota.

Sibeen probably decided to go for a swim after a big lunch and some invalid ale, had a heart attack and his wife swam out to help him and he grabbed hold of her and wouldn’t let go. It’s only speculation but yeah.

The article said they were separated.

Oh well, sibeen and his missus are happily married. with a new house and all.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:02:39
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995895
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

I seriously hope you are wrong.

Until we know for sure, maybe best not to jump at shadows.

so don’t start a collection for the kids just yet then?

I’m sure his family knew he visited here.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:03:04
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995896
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Sibeen probably decided to go for a swim after a big lunch and some invalid ale, had a heart attack and his wife swam out to help him and he grabbed hold of her and wouldn’t let go. It’s only speculation but yeah.

The article said they were separated.

Oh well, sibeen and his missus are happily married. with a new house and all.

Separated in the water.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:03:51
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995897
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ChrispenEvan said:

roughbarked said:

The article said they were separated.

Oh well, sibeen and his missus are happily married. with a new house and all.

Separated in the water.

yes, i know you meant that.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:04:24
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995898
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Sibeen’s last post here, Wednesday morning. Date: 15/02/2023 10:55:05

sibeen said:


Arts said:

My contract started on the 31st January and I have been working from home.. today I had to come into the office and nothing has changed since I left it in early December last year…

I expected the fairies to come clean it or do the last of the exam marking or something… but no… what sort of two bit organisation am I working for!?

(at least I had the sense to make sure my coffee mug was cleaned and my water bottle emptied… )

If you don’t know what sort of two bit organisation you’re working for how the hell do you expect anyone here to know.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:04:26
From: Arts
ID: 1995899
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I just sent him a text. will let you know the outcome.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:05:20
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995900
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


I just sent him a text. will let you know the outcome.

me too. I asked him if he was dead.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:07:21
From: Arts
ID: 1995901
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Arts said:

I just sent him a text. will let you know the outcome.

me too. I asked him if he was dead.

at least he’ll know it’s you

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:07:36
From: Woodie
ID: 1995902
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

ChrispenEvan said:

sibeen is on holiday in Mallacoota.

Sibeen probably decided to go for a swim after a big lunch and some invalid ale, had a heart attack and his wife swam out to help him and he grabbed hold of her and wouldn’t let go. It’s only speculation but yeah.

The article said they were separated.

……. by 200 metres.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:08:01
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995903
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Was going to have a dry night tonight but it looks like I’ll have to be raising a glass to the recently departed.

Otherwise sibeen would say “You’re dead to me!”

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:08:59
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995904
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Poor sprogs :(

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:09:23
From: Woodie
ID: 1995905
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


I just sent him a text. will let you know the outcome.

Did you try and ring first?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:09:46
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995906
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Arts said:

I just sent him a text. will let you know the outcome.

me too. I asked him if he was dead.

at least he’ll know it’s you

just imagining sibeen in budgie smugglers.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:10:20
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995907
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Arts said:

I just sent him a text. will let you know the outcome.

Did you try and ring first?

LOL, don’t want to talk to him.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:11:48
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995908
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Arts said:

I just sent him a text. will let you know the outcome.

me too. I asked him if he was dead.

at least he’ll know it’s you

probably won’t answer, then just reappear here like the prodigal son.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:14:12
From: Michael V
ID: 1995909
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

…they were visiting their mother/mother-in-law at Mallacoota.

i refuse to believe Sibeen would do anything wrong. But gee…

I’m actually worried now.

Me too, from when I read about the drownings. Very concerned from Yesterday.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:16:04
From: Michael V
ID: 1995910
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


I just sent him a text. will let you know the outcome.

Thanks Arts. You also were given his email recently. IIRC

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:19:34
From: Arts
ID: 1995911
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Arts said:

I just sent him a text. will let you know the outcome.

Thanks Arts. You also were given his email recently. IIRC

I always had his email, but I have emailed too

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:22:01
From: Michael V
ID: 1995912
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Michael V said:

Arts said:

I just sent him a text. will let you know the outcome.

Thanks Arts. You also were given his email recently. IIRC

I always had his email, but I have emailed too

Thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:40:21
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995917
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Arts said:

I just sent him a text. will let you know the outcome.

me too. I asked him if he was dead.

at least he’ll know it’s you

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 16:50:47
From: Arts
ID: 1995918
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I phoned and left a message too

Let’s hope he’s just enjoying his holiday.

And not stress until we have confirmation

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:03:42
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995919
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


I phoned and left a message too

Let’s hope he’s just enjoying his holiday.

And not stress until we have confirmation

Ta Arts. But it’s not really a matter of stressing, just being sad :(

It would be a very strange coincidence if that couple were not sibeen and his wife.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:06:56
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995920
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Arts said:

I phoned and left a message too

Let’s hope he’s just enjoying his holiday.

And not stress until we have confirmation

Ta Arts. But it’s not really a matter of stressing, just being sad :(

It would be a very strange coincidence if that couple were not sibeen and his wife.

They say the lady was 65 which would make her around mid-forties for having the sprogs, unlikely but not impossible.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:11:25
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995921
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

Arts said:

I phoned and left a message too

Let’s hope he’s just enjoying his holiday.

And not stress until we have confirmation

Ta Arts. But it’s not really a matter of stressing, just being sad :(

It would be a very strange coincidence if that couple were not sibeen and his wife.

They say the lady was 65 which would make her around mid-forties for having the sprogs, unlikely but not impossible.

sibeen and his missus aren’t that old.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:15:00
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995922
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Bubblecar said:

Ta Arts. But it’s not really a matter of stressing, just being sad :(

It would be a very strange coincidence if that couple were not sibeen and his wife.

They say the lady was 65 which would make her around mid-forties for having the sprogs, unlikely but not impossible.

sibeen and his missus aren’t that old.

just got a message from sibeen, reckons it is really hot where he is.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:16:10
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995923
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Peak Warming Man said:

They say the lady was 65 which would make her around mid-forties for having the sprogs, unlikely but not impossible.

sibeen and his missus aren’t that old.

just got a message from sibeen, reckons it is really hot where he is.

excellent!

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:16:44
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995924
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Peak Warming Man said:

They say the lady was 65 which would make her around mid-forties for having the sprogs, unlikely but not impossible.

sibeen and his missus aren’t that old.

just got a message from sibeen, reckons it is really hot where he is.

Praise the Lord.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:17:56
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995925
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


ChrispenEvan said:

ChrispenEvan said:

sibeen and his missus aren’t that old.

just got a message from sibeen, reckons it is really hot where he is.

Praise the Lord.

yeah, hell can be hot this time of year.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:20:26
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995926
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Peak Warming Man said:

They say the lady was 65 which would make her around mid-forties for having the sprogs, unlikely but not impossible.

sibeen and his missus aren’t that old.

just got a message from sibeen, reckons it is really hot where he is.

Ha. Well, it is the same everywhere in the south east.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:20:55
From: Arts
ID: 1995927
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Peak Warming Man said:

They say the lady was 65 which would make her around mid-forties for having the sprogs, unlikely but not impossible.

sibeen and his missus aren’t that old.

just got a message from sibeen, reckons it is really hot where he is.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:21:19
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995928
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ChrispenEvan said:

ChrispenEvan said:

sibeen and his missus aren’t that old.

just got a message from sibeen, reckons it is really hot where he is.

Ha. Well, it is the same everywhere in the south east.

Cooled of to 37, it has.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:21:44
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995929
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


ChrispenEvan said:

ChrispenEvan said:

sibeen and his missus aren’t that old.

just got a message from sibeen, reckons it is really hot where he is.

:)

thanks.

:-)

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:21:56
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995930
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Anyway, at least he knows we care.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:23:15
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995931
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Anyway, at least he knows we care.

Boris was joking.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:23:29
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995932
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Anyway, at least he knows we care.

he’s probably lurking and LHAO.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:25:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995933
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


roughbarked said:

Anyway, at least he knows we care.

Boris was joking.

He’s always joking. Most of us would prefer that he didn’t know that we know.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:27:31
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995935
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

Anyway, at least he knows we care.

Boris was joking.

He’s always joking. Most of us would prefer that he didn’t know that we know.

I don’t actually care one way or another. i do it to amuse myself. if others are also amused, that’s nice. if they are offended, that’s tough.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:27:34
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995936
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Chance of a storm here, but I’d better bravely nip out to the BWS.

Be a triple tragedy if I get struck by lightning on my journey.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:30:25
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995937
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

Boris was joking.

He’s always joking. Most of us would prefer that he didn’t know that we know.

I don’t actually care one way or another. i do it to amuse myself. if others are also amused, that’s nice. if they are offended, that’s tough.

Stress makes us stronger?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:31:51
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995938
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

One of the posters who knows sibeen’s name and other details could contact Victoria Police and say we’re concerned about this friend who’s been missing since Wednesday and are wondering if they have any information.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:32:14
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995939
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

Boris was joking.

He’s always joking. Most of us would prefer that he didn’t know that we know.

I don’t actually care one way or another. i do it to amuse myself. if others are also amused, that’s nice. if they are offended, that’s tough.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:35:31
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995940
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


One of the posters who knows sibeen’s name and other details could contact Victoria Police and say we’re concerned about this friend who’s been missing since Wednesday and are wondering if they have any information.

Like I said. Barking at shadows isn’t going to help you sleep tonight.
The police usually have other things to do.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:36:36
From: Michael V
ID: 1995941
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Peak Warming Man said:

They say the lady was 65 which would make her around mid-forties for having the sprogs, unlikely but not impossible.

sibeen and his missus aren’t that old.

just got a message from sibeen, reckons it is really hot where he is.

LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:40:03
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995942
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

One of the posters who knows sibeen’s name and other details could contact Victoria Police and say we’re concerned about this friend who’s been missing since Wednesday and are wondering if they have any information.

Like I said. Barking at shadows isn’t going to help you sleep tonight.
The police usually have other things to do.

also everybody here atm should know his full name as he has posted it here several times.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:40:40
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995943
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Stella Stevens dies at 84. Stella Stevens, a prominent leading lady in 1960s and 70s comedies who is perhaps best known for playing the object of Jerry Lewis’s affection in The Nutty Professor, has died.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:41:38
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995944
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

One of the posters who knows sibeen’s name and other details could contact Victoria Police and say we’re concerned about this friend who’s been missing since Wednesday and are wondering if they have any information.

Like I said. Barking at shadows isn’t going to help you sleep tonight.
The police usually have other things to do.

also everybody here atm should know his full name as he has posted it here several times.

According to buffy, I’m always to drunk to remember anything.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:42:07
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995945
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

One of the posters who knows sibeen’s name and other details could contact Victoria Police and say we’re concerned about this friend who’s been missing since Wednesday and are wondering if they have any information.

Like I said. Barking at shadows isn’t going to help you sleep tonight.
The police usually have other things to do.

?

It’s normal to contact the police in these circumstances.

I only know his first name is Joe.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:44:23
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995946
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

One of the posters who knows sibeen’s name and other details could contact Victoria Police and say we’re concerned about this friend who’s been missing since Wednesday and are wondering if they have any information.

Like I said. Barking at shadows isn’t going to help you sleep tonight.
The police usually have other things to do.

?

It’s normal to contact the police in these circumstances.

I only know his first name is Joe.

What I meant is that you may be barking up the wrong tree anyway but unless the police release the name, it usually means that somebody doesn’t want it released or that family members haben’t been contacted yet.. etc.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:45:06
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995947
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

One of the posters who knows sibeen’s name and other details could contact Victoria Police and say we’re concerned about this friend who’s been missing since Wednesday and are wondering if they have any information.

Like I said. Barking at shadows isn’t going to help you sleep tonight.
The police usually have other things to do.

also everybody here atm should know his full name as he has posted it here several times.

Many of us may not have actually read those posts?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:46:02
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995948
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Stella Stevens dies at 84. Stella Stevens, a prominent leading lady in 1960s and 70s comedies who is perhaps best known for playing the object of Jerry Lewis’s affection in The Nutty Professor, has died.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:46:07
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995949
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

Like I said. Barking at shadows isn’t going to help you sleep tonight.
The police usually have other things to do.

?

It’s normal to contact the police in these circumstances.

I only know his first name is Joe.

What I meant is that you may be barking up the wrong tree anyway but unless the police release the name, it usually means that somebody doesn’t want it released or that family members haben’t been contacted yet.. etc.

There’s no harm in asking if they have any information. Police expect friends and relatives to contact them in these circumstances.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:47:30
From: Michael V
ID: 1995950
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

One of the posters who knows sibeen’s name and other details could contact Victoria Police and say we’re concerned about this friend who’s been missing since Wednesday and are wondering if they have any information.

Like I said. Barking at shadows isn’t going to help you sleep tonight.
The police usually have other things to do.

also everybody here atm should know his full name as he has posted it here several times.

I know sibeen’s personal name is Joe.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:52:56
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995951
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


ChrispenEvan said:

roughbarked said:

Like I said. Barking at shadows isn’t going to help you sleep tonight.
The police usually have other things to do.

also everybody here atm should know his full name as he has posted it here several times.

I know sibeen’s personal name is Joe.

Yours is Michael and mine is Peter.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 17:56:06
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995953
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

joe at sidco dot com dot au

ask him yourself.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 18:02:45
From: buffy
ID: 1995955
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ChrispenEvan said:

roughbarked said:

Like I said. Barking at shadows isn’t going to help you sleep tonight.
The police usually have other things to do.

also everybody here atm should know his full name as he has posted it here several times.

According to buffy, I’m always to drunk to remember anything.

Drunk is not my usual implication.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 18:12:37
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995956
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

ChrispenEvan said:

also everybody here atm should know his full name as he has posted it here several times.

According to buffy, I’m always to drunk to remember anything.

Drunk is not my usual implication.


Which means?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 18:30:36
From: Arts
ID: 1995959
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Bubblecar said:

Ta Arts. But it’s not really a matter of stressing, just being sad :(

It would be a very strange coincidence if that couple were not sibeen and his wife.

They say the lady was 65 which would make her around mid-forties for having the sprogs, unlikely but not impossible.

sibeen and his missus aren’t that old.

can confirm that shebs is 61 this year… I don’t know how old his wife is

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 18:31:16
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995960
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


roughbarked said:

Stella Stevens dies at 84. Stella Stevens, a prominent leading lady in 1960s and 70s comedies who is perhaps best known for playing the object of Jerry Lewis’s affection in The Nutty Professor, has died.


STELLAAAA………..STELLAAAA

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 18:44:25
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1995962
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

1933. I guessed it right for 1000 points.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 18:48:52
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995964
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


1933. I guessed it right for 1000 points.

Ta. Gone in the Prohibition folder.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 18:48:56
From: buffy
ID: 1995965
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Do any of you read Becky Chambers books? My sister is reading “A Psalm for the Wild-Built”. I looked at reviews and I’m not sure if it’s the sort of thing I’d bother with. But I have just been reading Dava Sobel, so I might be in non fiction mode at the moment really.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 18:50:44
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995967
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Do any of you read Becky Chambers books? My sister is reading “A Psalm for the Wild-Built”. I looked at reviews and I’m not sure if it’s the sort of thing I’d bother with. But I have just been reading Dava Sobel, so I might be in non fiction mode at the moment really.

NHOH. Apparently she’s noted for solarpunk and hopepunk, whatever they are.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 18:52:18
From: buffy
ID: 1995968
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


buffy said:

Do any of you read Becky Chambers books? My sister is reading “A Psalm for the Wild-Built”. I looked at reviews and I’m not sure if it’s the sort of thing I’d bother with. But I have just been reading Dava Sobel, so I might be in non fiction mode at the moment really.

NHOH. Apparently she’s noted for solarpunk and hopepunk, whatever they are.

It sounds a bit contrived to me. Like those “profound” sayings for hanging on your wall.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 18:59:18
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1995970
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Pasta again tonight but not until it’s cool enough to be cooking.

Decided I’ll do the pickled mushrooms some other time so the mushrooms that did turn up (some portobellos) will go in this dinner with some sliced sausage, herbs, tomato etc.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 19:18:41
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995973
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Look it isn’t like I don’t want paper wasps in the garden. It is simply that I wish they wouldn’t trap me into no way out. I walked into the back corner woth a hose because the lemon and grapefruit/lime were really dry like. I moved something and noted that I’d stirred up some paper wasps on the fig tree. They weren’t stinging me but I wasn’t going to walk back that way. I decided to walk around the other side of the plastic house and did look for other paper wasp nests but I must have not seen this one for they did gang up on me something serious befeore I got out of there.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:16:45
From: Arts
ID: 1995978
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

holy fuck…

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:18:04
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995979
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


holy fuck…

Jesus.

:-(

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:19:32
From: Arts
ID: 1995981
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Arts said:

holy fuck…

Jesus.

:-(

I… can’t even…

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:19:44
From: dv
ID: 1995982
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


holy fuck…

What?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:20:10
From: Arts
ID: 1995983
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I have sent our condolences .. I’m finally shook.

Our deepest condolences to the Devlin family for the loss of both Joe and Roslyn on the afternoon of 15th February 2023.
Please contact…

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:20:26
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1995984
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Arts said:

holy fuck…

What?

It is Joe and his wife who drowned.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:21:36
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995985
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


I have sent our condolences .. I’m finally shook.

Our deepest condolences to the Devlin family for the loss of both Joe and Roslyn on the afternoon of 15th February 2023.
Please contact…

Damn, it’s hard to believe.
Top bloke, top family.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:21:43
From: Michael V
ID: 1995986
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


dv said:

Arts said:

holy fuck…

What?

It is Joe and his wife who drowned.

Shit.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:25:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995987
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


I have sent our condolences .. I’m finally shook.

Our deepest condolences to the Devlin family for the loss of both Joe and Roslyn on the afternoon of 15th February 2023.
Please contact…

It is true.
Jeez.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:26:05
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995988
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Arts said:

I have sent our condolences .. I’m finally shook.

Our deepest condolences to the Devlin family for the loss of both Joe and Roslyn on the afternoon of 15th February 2023.
Please contact…

Damn, it’s hard to believe.
Top bloke, top family.

+1. So short can life be.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:26:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995989
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


ChrispenEvan said:

dv said:

What?

It is Joe and his wife who drowned.

Shit.

:(

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:26:38
From: Arts
ID: 1995990
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


I have sent our condolences .. I’m finally shook.

Our deepest condolences to the Devlin family for the loss of both Joe and Roslyn on the afternoon of 15th February 2023.
Please contact…

sorry this is. the email that I received from one of his work colleagues with their contact details… so I asked that person to pass on our deepest condolences to the girls from us… and added a note about how much a part of our lives he was…

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:27:44
From: dv
ID: 1995991
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


ChrispenEvan said:

dv said:

What?

It is Joe and his wife who drowned.

Shit.

:(

Oh my fucking God. That’s truly dreadful.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:27:53
From: Michael V
ID: 1995992
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Arts said:

I have sent our condolences .. I’m finally shook.

Our deepest condolences to the Devlin family for the loss of both Joe and Roslyn on the afternoon of 15th February 2023.
Please contact…

sorry this is. the email that I received from one of his work colleagues with their contact details… so I asked that person to pass on our deepest condolences to the girls from us… and added a note about how much a part of our lives he was…

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:29:00
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995993
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Arts said:

Arts said:

I have sent our condolences .. I’m finally shook.

Our deepest condolences to the Devlin family for the loss of both Joe and Roslyn on the afternoon of 15th February 2023.
Please contact…

sorry this is. the email that I received from one of his work colleagues with their contact details… so I asked that person to pass on our deepest condolences to the girls from us… and added a note about how much a part of our lives he was…

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Yeah thanks Arts.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:29:41
From: roughbarked
ID: 1995994
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Arts said:

I have sent our condolences .. I’m finally shook.

Our deepest condolences to the Devlin family for the loss of both Joe and Roslyn on the afternoon of 15th February 2023.
Please contact…

sorry this is. the email that I received from one of his work colleagues with their contact details… so I asked that person to pass on our deepest condolences to the girls from us… and added a note about how much a part of our lives he was…

Thank you. ((hug)) yeah I know you don’t like touching but this is virtual.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:30:51
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1995995
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The sprogs must be devastated.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:31:02
From: ms spock
ID: 1995997
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


I have sent our condolences .. I’m finally shook.

Our deepest condolences to the Devlin family for the loss of both Joe and Roslyn on the afternoon of 15th February 2023.
Please contact…

But he is ex military. I didn’t think it would be him.

Oh God!

Tá brón orm! I am so sorry.

Who will do the cricket?

Oh feic

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:32:45
From: dv
ID: 1995999
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I haven’t been tracking Chat so this is out of the blue for me, terrible blow for the kids I’m sure. Shocking.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:35:04
From: ms spock
ID: 1996002
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Arts said:

I have sent our condolences .. I’m finally shook.

Our deepest condolences to the Devlin family for the loss of both Joe and Roslyn on the afternoon of 15th February 2023.
Please contact…

sorry this is. the email that I received from one of his work colleagues with their contact details… so I asked that person to pass on our deepest condolences to the girls from us… and added a note about how much a part of our lives he was…

Can someone go to the funeral? DA, Spiny Norman and I went to GeoffD’s funeral and we got up for two minutes and expressed the forum’s love of him.

I can’t believe it’s him.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:36:21
From: ms spock
ID: 1996003
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Arts said:

Arts said:

I have sent our condolences .. I’m finally shook.

Our deepest condolences to the Devlin family for the loss of both Joe and Roslyn on the afternoon of 15th February 2023.
Please contact…

sorry this is. the email that I received from one of his work colleagues with their contact details… so I asked that person to pass on our deepest condolences to the girls from us… and added a note about how much a part of our lives he was…

Thank you. Thank you very much.

+1

Top job Arts

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:37:15
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996004
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


The sprogs must be devastated.

Without any doubt. He would have been a much loved man in any household.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:37:53
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996005
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Arts said:

I have sent our condolences .. I’m finally shook.

Our deepest condolences to the Devlin family for the loss of both Joe and Roslyn on the afternoon of 15th February 2023.
Please contact…

But he is ex military. I didn’t think it would be him.

Oh God!

Tá brón orm! I am so sorry.

Who will do the cricket?

Oh feic

Oh Feic., be his epitaph.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:42:25
From: ms spock
ID: 1996015
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

Arts said:

I have sent our condolences .. I’m finally shook.

Our deepest condolences to the Devlin family for the loss of both Joe and Roslyn on the afternoon of 15th February 2023.
Please contact…

But he is ex military. I didn’t think it would be him.

Oh God!

Tá brón orm! I am so sorry.

Who will do the cricket?

Oh feic

Oh Feic., be his epitaph.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:46:00
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996016
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I haven’t been tracking Chat so this is out of the blue for me, terrible blow for the kids I’m sure. Shocking.

I knew it must be him some hours ago, everything fitted the reports. But I was still holding out for it all just being a stunning coincidence.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:51:46
From: furious
ID: 1996021
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


dv said:

I haven’t been tracking Chat so this is out of the blue for me, terrible blow for the kids I’m sure. Shocking.

I knew it must be him some hours ago, everything fitted the reports. But I was still holding out for it all just being a stunning coincidence.

May is ask, what happened?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:52:31
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996023
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


dv said:

I haven’t been tracking Chat so this is out of the blue for me, terrible blow for the kids I’m sure. Shocking.

I knew it must be him some hours ago, everything fitted the reports. But I was still holding out for it all just being a stunning coincidence.

OK. I believe you now. :(

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:53:19
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996026
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

furious said:


Bubblecar said:

dv said:

I haven’t been tracking Chat so this is out of the blue for me, terrible blow for the kids I’m sure. Shocking.

I knew it must be him some hours ago, everything fitted the reports. But I was still holding out for it all just being a stunning coincidence.

May is ask, what happened?

He and his wife were visiting his mother at Mallacoota beach. They went swimming on Wednesday afternoon and both drowned :(

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:54:35
From: furious
ID: 1996027
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

furious said:


Bubblecar said:

dv said:

I haven’t been tracking Chat so this is out of the blue for me, terrible blow for the kids I’m sure. Shocking.

I knew it must be him some hours ago, everything fitted the reports. But I was still holding out for it all just being a stunning coincidence.

May is ask, what happened?

Nevermind…

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:55:00
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996028
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

furious said:


Bubblecar said:

dv said:

I haven’t been tracking Chat so this is out of the blue for me, terrible blow for the kids I’m sure. Shocking.

I knew it must be him some hours ago, everything fitted the reports. But I was still holding out for it all just being a stunning coincidence.

May is ask, what happened?

The couple were from Melbourne, visiting their mother and mother-in-law in Mallacoota.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/couple-drowns-bastion-point-mallacoota-beach/101981368

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 20:55:15
From: furious
ID: 1996029
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


furious said:

Bubblecar said:

I knew it must be him some hours ago, everything fitted the reports. But I was still holding out for it all just being a stunning coincidence.

May is ask, what happened?

He and his wife were visiting his mother at Mallacoota beach. They went swimming on Wednesday afternoon and both drowned :(

Yeah, I just saw the link :(

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 21:29:40
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996048
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

i’d love to say how nice it is to see ruby and Dropbear and kothos and misscarol here. Love yous. Shithouse times but thanks for being here.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 21:30:56
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1996049
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I don’t feel like playing anymore.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 21:31:31
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996050
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


i’d love to say how nice it is to see ruby and Dropbear and kothos and misscarol here. Love yous. Shithouse times but thanks for being here.

+1

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 21:49:13
From: Dropbear
ID: 1996058
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


i’d love to say how nice it is to see ruby and Dropbear and kothos and misscarol here. Love yous. Shithouse times but thanks for being here.

Yeh be nicer under better circumstances. Always lovely to talk, SM

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 21:54:36
From: dv
ID: 1996060
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


I don’t feel like playing anymore.

Yep…

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 23:03:11
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996068
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

‘I left the dog at home. He barks at the evil sheep’: Mariko Klug’s best phone picture
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/feb/18/evil-sheep-mariko-klugs-best-phone-picture

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 23:20:41
From: Michael V
ID: 1996069
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m so sad I can’t comprehend anything

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 23:22:02
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996070
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


I’m so sad I can’t comprehend anything

yeah.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2023 23:24:18
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996073
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Lost Wollongong

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 04:11:01
From: kii
ID: 1996107
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Thank you for the responses about Gracie Blue. I miss my little shadow with the violet blue eyes.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 06:48:16
From: buffy
ID: 1996111
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers.

I was lost for words last night. I’m still lost.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 07:20:19
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996114
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Good morning Holidayers.

I was lost for words last night. I’m still lost.

We all are.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 07:36:14
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996116
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dropbear said:


sarahs mum said:

i’d love to say how nice it is to see ruby and Dropbear and kothos and misscarol here. Love yous. Shithouse times but thanks for being here.

Yeh be nicer under better circumstances. Always lovely to talk, SM

A number of people dropped back in. So sad.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 08:57:01
From: Michael V
ID: 1996121
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Mourning.

:(

Overcast, calm, 22.6°C and 79% RH. BoM say to expect no rain and a top of 29°C.

Usual agenda, if I can be bothered. I have a hangover for some reason or other.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 09:12:05
From: Michael V
ID: 1996123
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

More MIA peoples.

I miss you all and wish you’d return much more frequently.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 09:23:29
From: OCDC
ID: 1996124
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Yes, I should. Surprisingly I miss you lot.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 09:26:27
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996125
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


Yes, I should. Surprisingly I miss you lot.

And we missed you too.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 09:30:51
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996127
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


More MIA peoples.

I miss you all and wish you’d return much more frequently.

Aye, good to see so many old friends.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 09:31:17
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996128
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

To take people’s mind off things, a little article about peanut paste.

How ‘peanut butter’ branding was banned in some states after historical dairy industry protest

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-19/how-an-historical-dairy-industry-protest-saw-name-peanut-butter-/101957188

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 09:40:02
From: Michael V
ID: 1996130
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


Yes, I should. Surprisingly I miss you lot.

Why not then!

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 11:11:33
From: Michael V
ID: 1996135
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Today’s walk with The Patient: 2196 steps. A bit under 1.5 km. It’s quit a nice path to walk. Trees both sides and the occasional berry-laden plant.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 11:17:46
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996136
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Today’s walk with The Patient: 2196 steps. A bit under 1.5 km. It’s quit a nice path to walk. Trees both sides and the occasional berry-laden plant.

Goodo. Does she take a walking stick?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 11:24:15
From: Michael V
ID: 1996137
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Michael V said:

Today’s walk with The Patient: 2196 steps. A bit under 1.5 km. It’s quit a nice path to walk. Trees both sides and the occasional berry-laden plant.

Goodo. Does she take a walking stick?

No. No crutches, no walking stick. Walking reasonably well, too. Has learnt not to push the pace, as that causes much pain after the walk, and into the next day.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 11:36:57
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996140
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

Michael V said:

Today’s walk with The Patient: 2196 steps. A bit under 1.5 km. It’s quit a nice path to walk. Trees both sides and the occasional berry-laden plant.

Goodo. Does she take a walking stick?

No. No crutches, no walking stick. Walking reasonably well, too. Has learnt not to push the pace, as that causes much pain after the walk, and into the next day.

Personal mobility, how we take it for granted for so many years and then have to work for it.

I should start the daily walks again when the weather gets cooler, if the plantar fasciitis permits me.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 11:36:57
From: Kingy
ID: 1996141
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

That looks deliberate.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 11:39:37
From: OCDC
ID: 1996142
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


That looks deliberate.


That’s IBS for you.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 11:41:20
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996143
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


Kingy said:

That looks deliberate.


That’s IBS for you.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 12:16:20
From: Michael V
ID: 1996148
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


Kingy said:

That looks deliberate.


That’s IBS for you.

LOLOL

Streaky…

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 13:04:58
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1996155
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


Kingy said:

That looks deliberate.


That’s IBS for you.

wait you haven’t covidied yet, skilled move

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 13:10:17
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1996156
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

In southwest England, a kingfisher attempts to feed her chicks at their riverbank nest. Kingfishers, despite being exquisitely handsome, are born blind, bald, and ugly—recalling the ugly duckling story. Mum and dad feed the chicks all day long for nearly a month, catching small fish along the river and bringing them back to the nest—a tunnel dug into the bank, with a small chamber at the end. Inside, it’s almost completely dark, so the parents work by touch to find an open beak.
Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 13:12:20
From: dv
ID: 1996157
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


In southwest England, a kingfisher attempts to feed her chicks at their riverbank nest. Kingfishers, despite being exquisitely handsome, are born blind, bald, and ugly—recalling the ugly duckling story. Mum and dad feed the chicks all day long for nearly a month, catching small fish along the river and bringing them back to the nest—a tunnel dug into the bank, with a small chamber at the end. Inside, it’s almost completely dark, so the parents work by touch to find an open beak.

nice

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 13:17:30
From: transition
ID: 1996158
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


In southwest England, a kingfisher attempts to feed her chicks at their riverbank nest. Kingfishers, despite being exquisitely handsome, are born blind, bald, and ugly—recalling the ugly duckling story. Mum and dad feed the chicks all day long for nearly a month, catching small fish along the river and bringing them back to the nest—a tunnel dug into the bank, with a small chamber at the end. Inside, it’s almost completely dark, so the parents work by touch to find an open beak.

what a beaut picture, capture, quite a few youngsters there to look after

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 13:17:39
From: Michael V
ID: 1996159
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


In southwest England, a kingfisher attempts to feed her chicks at their riverbank nest. Kingfishers, despite being exquisitely handsome, are born blind, bald, and ugly—recalling the ugly duckling story. Mum and dad feed the chicks all day long for nearly a month, catching small fish along the river and bringing them back to the nest—a tunnel dug into the bank, with a small chamber at the end. Inside, it’s almost completely dark, so the parents work by touch to find an open beak.

Lovely photo.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 13:25:44
From: transition
ID: 1996161
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

a warmness outside, only 37 or 38C max meant to be depending what weatherology service, get a lot warmer yet this week, won’t see any pleasant daytime temperatures again until saturday

I sees warm nights wednesday, thursday, friday, can’t see any enjoyment in that, not likes warm nights

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 13:28:10
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996162
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


In southwest England, a kingfisher attempts to feed her chicks at their riverbank nest. Kingfishers, despite being exquisitely handsome, are born blind, bald, and ugly—recalling the ugly duckling story. Mum and dad feed the chicks all day long for nearly a month, catching small fish along the river and bringing them back to the nest—a tunnel dug into the bank, with a small chamber at the end. Inside, it’s almost completely dark, so the parents work by touch to find an open beak.

Awesome photo.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 13:29:42
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996163
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


a warmness outside, only 37 or 38C max meant to be depending what weatherology service, get a lot warmer yet this week, won’t see any pleasant daytime temperatures again until saturday

I sees warm nights wednesday, thursday, friday, can’t see any enjoyment in that, not likes warm nights

27 max today, 10 min tonight. Then several days of lower 20s until we lurch back up into the 30s by Friday.

Finishing the last glass of wine here, with some Irish cheddar that sibeen would have liked.

Then I’d better stay off the booze ‘cos there’s the Longford GP tomorrow for a punch biopsy and fifth Covid shot.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 13:29:55
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996164
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


a warmness outside, only 37 or 38C max meant to be depending what weatherology service, get a lot warmer yet this week, won’t see any pleasant daytime temperatures again until saturday

I sees warm nights wednesday, thursday, friday, can’t see any enjoyment in that, not likes warm nights

It is difficult to sleep on warm nights.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 13:41:35
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1996168
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


In southwest England, a kingfisher attempts to feed her chicks at their riverbank nest. Kingfishers, despite being exquisitely handsome, are born blind, bald, and ugly—recalling the ugly duckling story. Mum and dad feed the chicks all day long for nearly a month, catching small fish along the river and bringing them back to the nest—a tunnel dug into the bank, with a small chamber at the end. Inside, it’s almost completely dark, so the parents work by touch to find an open beak.

Beautiful plumage.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 13:43:25
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996169
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


PermeateFree said:

In southwest England, a kingfisher attempts to feed her chicks at their riverbank nest. Kingfishers, despite being exquisitely handsome, are born blind, bald, and ugly—recalling the ugly duckling story. Mum and dad feed the chicks all day long for nearly a month, catching small fish along the river and bringing them back to the nest—a tunnel dug into the bank, with a small chamber at the end. Inside, it’s almost completely dark, so the parents work by touch to find an open beak.

Beautiful plumage.

Kingfishers are often beautifully coloured.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 13:47:56
From: Tamb
ID: 1996170
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

PermeateFree said:

In southwest England, a kingfisher attempts to feed her chicks at their riverbank nest. Kingfishers, despite being exquisitely handsome, are born blind, bald, and ugly—recalling the ugly duckling story. Mum and dad feed the chicks all day long for nearly a month, catching small fish along the river and bringing them back to the nest—a tunnel dug into the bank, with a small chamber at the end. Inside, it’s almost completely dark, so the parents work by touch to find an open beak.

Beautiful plumage.

Kingfishers are often beautifully coloured.


Even the Blue-winged Kooka

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 13:54:38
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996172
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Beautiful plumage.

Kingfishers are often beautifully coloured.


Even the Blue-winged Kooka

Exactly.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 13:56:53
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996174
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I really do hope these injections in my spine are going to help me. Otherwise I might be looking for some youth in asia.
I’m off for the first four injections tomorrow.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 13:57:46
From: party_pants
ID: 1996177
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


I really do hope these injections in my spine are going to help me. Otherwise I might be looking for some youth in asia.
I’m off for the first four injections tomorrow.

All the best with that. What ailment is this intended to solve?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 14:07:47
From: ms spock
ID: 1996184
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tráthnóna maith daoibh (Good afternoon earthlings!)

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 14:11:45
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996187
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


roughbarked said:

I really do hope these injections in my spine are going to help me. Otherwise I might be looking for some youth in asia.
I’m off for the first four injections tomorrow.

All the best with that. What ailment is this intended to solve?

I’m getting CT guided cortisicosteroid injections to bilateral C6, C7 nerve root (perinural).

For: Bilateral cervical radiculopathyin C6, C7 dermatone and moderate to severe bilateral neural foraminal stenoses at C5/C6 and C6/C7.

In other words it is simillar to carpal tunnel issues only it is directly inside the vertebra.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 14:12:44
From: Tamb
ID: 1996189
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

Tráthnóna maith daoibh (Good afternoon earthlings!)


Tráthnóna ms

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 14:13:58
From: ms spock
ID: 1996190
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

PermeateFree said:

In southwest England, a kingfisher attempts to feed her chicks at their riverbank nest. Kingfishers, despite being exquisitely handsome, are born blind, bald, and ugly—recalling the ugly duckling story. Mum and dad feed the chicks all day long for nearly a month, catching small fish along the river and bringing them back to the nest—a tunnel dug into the bank, with a small chamber at the end. Inside, it’s almost completely dark, so the parents work by touch to find an open beak.

Beautiful plumage.

Kingfishers are often beautifully coloured.

Tá sí ar fheabhas an domhain. (She is a stunner!)

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 14:15:33
From: ms spock
ID: 1996192
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Beautiful plumage.

Kingfishers are often beautifully coloured.


Even the Blue-winged Kooka

An togha. (stunner)

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 14:23:54
From: ms spock
ID: 1996197
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tráthnóna maith daoibh (Good afternoon earthlings!)


Tráthnóna ms

It is good to see you Tamb and so many others!

Is maith Tamb agus an oiread sin daoine eile a fheiceáil!

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 14:41:02
From: ms spock
ID: 1996207
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

Tasmanian History
David Cooper · 24 m ·
Here is an old photo of my Cooper ancestors from Moonah (except for the two eldest boys who are missing due to WW1). I’m guessing it was taken around 1916. Boys are Ernest b: 1898, John b: 1903, Frank b: 1907. Girls are Janet b: 1900 & Doris b: 1912

Wow a generation was lost that is so sad.

It’s amazing to have such photos of your family!

not my family. I posted for Mr car who last night was posting overloaded side car photos.

This is my WW1 family. It is a tragic story.

https://www.johngraycentre.org/about/museums-service/exhibitions/war-east-lothian-1914-18/war-east-lothian-1914-18-online/cranston-family/

Sarahsmum it really shows the nature of intergenerational trauma, and how it flows down the generations. It’s a really tragic story.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 14:42:54
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1996209
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Scientists Find a Mysterious ‘Ghost Lineage’ In the DNA of West Africans

Researchers find evidence that a group of still-unknown humans interbred with our ancestors.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/genetic-traces-of-mysterious-human-lineage-detected-in-people-living-in?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 14:46:55
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996210
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

ms spock said:

Wow a generation was lost that is so sad.

It’s amazing to have such photos of your family!

not my family. I posted for Mr car who last night was posting overloaded side car photos.

This is my WW1 family. It is a tragic story.

https://www.johngraycentre.org/about/museums-service/exhibitions/war-east-lothian-1914-18/war-east-lothian-1914-18-online/cranston-family/

Sarahsmum it really shows the nature of intergenerational trauma, and how it flows down the generations. It’s a really tragic story.

yep. The intergenerational truma is still keen.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 14:51:07
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996211
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Scientists Find a Mysterious ‘Ghost Lineage’ In the DNA of West Africans

Researchers find evidence that a group of still-unknown humans interbred with our ancestors.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/genetic-traces-of-mysterious-human-lineage-detected-in-people-living-in?

So aliens did visit once?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 15:02:24
From: ms spock
ID: 1996214
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

not my family. I posted for Mr car who last night was posting overloaded side car photos.

This is my WW1 family. It is a tragic story.

https://www.johngraycentre.org/about/museums-service/exhibitions/war-east-lothian-1914-18/war-east-lothian-1914-18-online/cranston-family/

Sarahsmum it really shows the nature of intergenerational trauma, and how it flows down the generations. It’s a really tragic story.

yep. The intergenerational truma is still keen.

It is indeed.

There is some fascinating research coming through.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 15:03:26
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996215
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

ms spock said:

Wow a generation was lost that is so sad.

It’s amazing to have such photos of your family!

not my family. I posted for Mr car who last night was posting overloaded side car photos.

This is my WW1 family. It is a tragic story.

https://www.johngraycentre.org/about/museums-service/exhibitions/war-east-lothian-1914-18/war-east-lothian-1914-18-online/cranston-family/

Sarahsmum it really shows the nature of intergenerational trauma, and how it flows down the generations. It’s a really tragic story.

yep. The intergenerational trauma stuff is still keen. everybody blames my great grandmother’s madness on the loss of all those children (she also lost a toddler daughter from burns. that child is often left off the list) but the medical reports suggest her madness was typical dementia stuff.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 15:07:47
From: ms spock
ID: 1996217
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


ms spock said:

buffy said:

This. It’s worth paying an expert.

How would you know which one can be trusted though buffy? If you are not part of that industry?

kingy is part of the industry he is buying into. There will be accountants who know the industry, especially in WA. Kingy knows people to ask for recommendations.

I am sure that you are right buffy that Kingy is very well appraised of the whole situation.

What I was interested if you are not as well versed and knowledgeable as Kingy. How would you ascertain who was trustworthy?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 15:13:30
From: Michael V
ID: 1996220
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Scientists Find a Mysterious ‘Ghost Lineage’ In the DNA of West Africans

Researchers find evidence that a group of still-unknown humans interbred with our ancestors.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/genetic-traces-of-mysterious-human-lineage-detected-in-people-living-in?

Ta. Interesting.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 15:23:34
From: buffy
ID: 1996223
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

MV…when we et the Rachel Khoo chicken the other night, I wondered why it was a bit chili hot. I didn’t think sweet chili sauce was particularly hot. Then I recalled that I pulled back on the sesame oil, but I did add a dash of chili oil. That would explain it! (It worked quite well, actually)

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 15:26:32
From: ms spock
ID: 1996225
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

not my family. I posted for Mr car who last night was posting overloaded side car photos.

This is my WW1 family. It is a tragic story.

https://www.johngraycentre.org/about/museums-service/exhibitions/war-east-lothian-1914-18/war-east-lothian-1914-18-online/cranston-family/

Sarahsmum it really shows the nature of intergenerational trauma, and how it flows down the generations. It’s a really tragic story.

yep. The intergenerational trauma stuff is still keen. everybody blames my great grandmother’s madness on the loss of all those children (she also lost a toddler daughter from burns. that child is often left off the list) but the medical reports suggest her madness was typical dementia stuff.

That’s so sad.

Dementia is heart breaking. It is one of the toughest marathons you can run as a carer/community/family member.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 15:26:54
From: Michael V
ID: 1996226
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


MV…when we et the Rachel Khoo chicken the other night, I wondered why it was a bit chili hot. I didn’t think sweet chili sauce was particularly hot. Then I recalled that I pulled back on the sesame oil, but I did add a dash of chili oil. That would explain it! (It worked quite well, actually)

Thanks for that.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 15:36:20
From: dv
ID: 1996231
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

James Wells, Moderator of the United Free Church of Scotland, tells the story of a little girl carrying a big baby boy in his 1884 book The Parables of Jesus. Seeing her struggling, someone asked if she wasn’t tired. With surprise she replied: “No, he’s not heavy; he’s my brother.”

In a 1918 publication by Ralph Waldo Trine titled The Higher Powers of Mind and Spirit, Trine relates the following anecdote: “Do you know that incident in connection with the little Scottish girl? She was trudging along, carrying as best she could a boy younger, but it seemed almost as big as she herself, when one remarked to her how heavy he must be for her to carry, when instantly came the reply: ‘He’s na heavy. He’s mi brither.’”

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 15:38:05
From: ms spock
ID: 1996232
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

****puts out trestle tables filled with cups and saucers, urns filled with tea and coffee, 40 different types of milk, and tasty morsels including some jams, scones and tea, mixed sandwishes, freshly baked biscuits, cookies, bread rolls, and a wide range of Australian cuisines****

Help yourselves folks!

In honour of Sibeen

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 15:46:25
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1996234
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


James Wells, Moderator of the United Free Church of Scotland, tells the story of a little girl carrying a big baby boy in his 1884 book The Parables of Jesus. Seeing her struggling, someone asked if she wasn’t tired. With surprise she replied: “No, he’s not heavy; he’s my brother.”

In a 1918 publication by Ralph Waldo Trine titled The Higher Powers of Mind and Spirit, Trine relates the following anecdote: “Do you know that incident in connection with the little Scottish girl? She was trudging along, carrying as best she could a boy younger, but it seemed almost as big as she herself, when one remarked to her how heavy he must be for her to carry, when instantly came the reply: ‘He’s na heavy. He’s mi brither.’”

Well there you go.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 16:15:54
From: dv
ID: 1996245
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I was caramelising some onions and it made me wonder whether anyone has ever tried to make alcohol from onions. It turns out the answer is yes, a lot, in several different ways. You just can’t keep people from their booze.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 16:56:34
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1996258
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

we mean fermentation of glucose is fermentation of glucose

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 19:15:25
From: buffy
ID: 1996282
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

MV…it’s Death in Paradise night. And mr buffy has pointed out that the episode of Vera after it is a new one.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 19:17:00
From: Michael V
ID: 1996285
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


MV…it’s Death in Paradise night. And mr buffy has pointed out that the episode of Vera after it is a new one.

Ta.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 20:16:15
From: Kingy
ID: 1996290
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Test

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 20:17:24
From: Kingy
ID: 1996291
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Test

Sorry, a weird forum software error was losing my posts.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 20:18:09
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1996292
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Haven’t seen Kingy for a while, guess he’ll turn up.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 20:19:02
From: dv
ID: 1996293
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Haven’t seen Kingy for a while, guess he’ll turn up.

Sometimes they say his posts can still be seen on a moonlit night

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 20:27:14
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1996295
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Haven’t seen Kingy for a while, guess he’ll turn up.

Sometimes they say his posts can still be seen on a moonlit night

Yeah so they say.
He might be trying to post and they are just not coming through for some reason.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 20:29:14
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996296
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I have been fighting an irresistable urge to say FUCK in the cricket thread.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 20:31:41
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1996297
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


I have been fighting an irresistable urge to say FUCK in the cricket thread.

I’m pretty sure an absent friend would approve.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 20:32:05
From: dv
ID: 1996298
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Hey poindexter, any of you know what this symbol means? It is on a drink lid.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 20:37:13
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1996299
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Hey poindexter, any of you know what this symbol means? It is on a drink lid.

recycle

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 20:37:56
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1996300
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

at a guess

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 20:38:40
From: Kingy
ID: 1996301
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Hey poindexter, any of you know what this symbol means? It is on a drink lid.

Was it on Hitlers last latte?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 20:39:39
From: Kingy
ID: 1996302
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Haven’t seen Kingy for a while, guess he’ll turn up.

Sometimes they say his posts can still be seen on a moonlit night

Bastards!

But thanks for the laugh. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 20:39:43
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1996303
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Hey poindexter, any of you know what this symbol means? It is on a drink lid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recycling_symbol#Other_variants

Link

Taiwan.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 20:42:59
From: Kingy
ID: 1996304
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


dv said:

Hey poindexter, any of you know what this symbol means? It is on a drink lid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recycling_symbol#Other_variants

Link

Taiwan.

“Taiwan’s recycling symbol features the use of negative space to also create arrows pointing outward”

DV’s version looks munted. Didn’t they read the negative space instructions?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 21:00:06
From: Kingy
ID: 1996306
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

In case you were curious, the Tardis noise is a door key being dragged down a bass string of a broken framed piano. With the addition of a few oscillator blips, some white noise and plenty of feedback, the first incarnation of the famed TARDIS dematerialization sound was born.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 21:05:44
From: party_pants
ID: 1996307
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


In case you were curious, the Tardis noise is a door key being dragged down a bass string of a broken framed piano. With the addition of a few oscillator blips, some white noise and plenty of feedback, the first incarnation of the famed TARDIS dematerialization sound was born.

I am generally a curious person, but that level of detail on such an obscure subject is a bit beyond what I’m looking for.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 21:15:46
From: transition
ID: 1996308
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

should be doing some watering, thirsty bamboo and more out back I notice, heat tomorrow near kill it if don’t

watching harry brown, sort of a british answer to gran torino as recall, maybe

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 21:38:42
From: ms spock
ID: 1996310
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


I have been fighting an irresistable urge to say FUCK in the cricket thread.

Go for it!

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 21:46:19
From: ms spock
ID: 1996313
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


i’d love to say how nice it is to see ruby and Dropbear and kothos and misscarol here. Love yous. Shithouse times but thanks for being here.

+1

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 21:47:57
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1996314
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar are you around?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 21:51:00
From: dv
ID: 1996315
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


dv said:

Hey poindexter, any of you know what this symbol means? It is on a drink lid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recycling_symbol#Other_variants

Link

Taiwan.

Cheers

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 21:53:38
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996316
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

North West Snake Catchers
1 d ·
We attended this job at the wynyard wharf to remove this thumper from a private boat. The Tiger snake was initially seen climbing the buoy’s to gain access onto the vessel.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 21:55:24
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1996317
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


ChrispenEvan said:

dv said:

Hey poindexter, any of you know what this symbol means? It is on a drink lid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recycling_symbol#Other_variants

Link

Taiwan.

Cheers

No worries.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 21:56:56
From: party_pants
ID: 1996318
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


North West Snake Catchers
1 d ·
We attended this job at the wynyard wharf to remove this thumper from a private boat. The Tiger snake was initially seen climbing the buoy’s to gain access onto the vessel.

that’s a big one!

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 21:59:22
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1996319
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Guess not. Ok does anyone know if Bubbles has moved recently?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 22:00:49
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1996320
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Guess not. Ok does anyone know if Bubbles has moved recently?

I think he probably had a big movement this morning.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 22:02:00
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1996322
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highgate_Cemetery
Here’s a time waster if ever there was one, once you start going through the names and clicking on some interesting ones you can end up in an ever increasing rabbit’s hole.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 22:06:54
From: Kingy
ID: 1996323
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Guess not. Ok does anyone know if Bubbles has moved recently?

No recently as such, but he’s not in the house with “acreage” any more. Just a street away but I don’t know the address.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 22:10:03
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996326
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Guess not. Ok does anyone know if Bubbles has moved recently?

He’s probably napping. He hasn’t moved that recently. Does your street name start with an M?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 22:12:38
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1996327
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Divine Angel said:

Guess not. Ok does anyone know if Bubbles has moved recently?

He’s probably napping. He hasn’t moved that recently. Does your street name start with an M?

C.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 22:13:22
From: buffy
ID: 1996328
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Divine Angel said:

Guess not. Ok does anyone know if Bubbles has moved recently?

He’s probably napping. He hasn’t moved that recently. Does your street name start with an M?

I can confirm streetname starting with M. I last sent something that arrived successfully at Christmas. And there has been no intimation of the stress of a move since then.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 22:13:33
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1996329
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


sarahs mum said:

Divine Angel said:

Guess not. Ok does anyone know if Bubbles has moved recently?

He’s probably napping. He hasn’t moved that recently. Does your street name start with an M?

C.

No wait, yes M. Was looking at town

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 22:15:14
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996331
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Divine Angel said:

sarahs mum said:

He’s probably napping. He hasn’t moved that recently. Does your street name start with an M?

C.

No wait, yes M. Was looking at town

righto. all good.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 23:17:06
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996335
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Art fair visitor breaks $42,000 Jeff Koons balloon dog sculpture

Shiny blue sculpture shattered into thousands of pieces, with some collectors believing it was a stunt

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2023/feb/19/art-fair-visitor-breaks-42000-dollar-jeff-koons-balloon-dog-sculpture

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 23:44:10
From: transition
ID: 1996336
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I has me a coffee before bed, unless anyone has legitimate objections to me doing so

and don’t let me forget to turn the hose off

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 23:48:24
From: party_pants
ID: 1996337
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


I has me a coffee before bed, unless anyone has legitimate objections to me doing so

and don’t let me forget to turn the hose off

How do you sleep at night after drinking so much coffee?

If I have coffee after 7 or 8 pm I find I have trouble sleeping.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 23:54:27
From: Kingy
ID: 1996338
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


transition said:

I has me a coffee before bed, unless anyone has legitimate objections to me doing so

and don’t let me forget to turn the hose off

How do you sleep at night after drinking so much coffee?

If I have coffee after 7 or 8 pm I find I have trouble sleeping.

It’s mostly placebo these days. If it had more caffeine in it, it would cost more.

Coffee flavoured milk is mostly just milk.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2023 23:58:08
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996339
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


transition said:

I has me a coffee before bed, unless anyone has legitimate objections to me doing so

and don’t let me forget to turn the hose off

How do you sleep at night after drinking so much coffee?

If I have coffee after 7 or 8 pm I find I have trouble sleeping.

I can fall asleep with a coffee. a strong coffee. a lot of coffee doesn’t make me alert. It makes me sick.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 00:01:36
From: transition
ID: 1996341
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


party_pants said:

transition said:

I has me a coffee before bed, unless anyone has legitimate objections to me doing so

and don’t let me forget to turn the hose off

How do you sleep at night after drinking so much coffee?

If I have coffee after 7 or 8 pm I find I have trouble sleeping.

I can fall asleep with a coffee. a strong coffee. a lot of coffee doesn’t make me alert. It makes me sick.

ya need a lot of coffee to stay awake from the exhaustion of being kept awake by it

but not had that much today, not enough

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 00:15:56
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996346
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

hey aussie dj..Can I have your link to phrazle please? Mine no longer works…

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 00:18:26
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1996348
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


hey aussie dj..Can I have your link to phrazle please? Mine no longer works…

Mine’s not working, either.

This is the one I normally use – https://phrazle.org/

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 00:20:21
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1996349
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


sarahs mum said:

hey aussie dj..Can I have your link to phrazle please? Mine no longer works…

Mine’s not working, either.

This is the one I normally use – https://phrazle.org/

It’s down for everyone!

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/phrazle.org.html

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 00:22:33
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996350
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


AussieDJ said:

sarahs mum said:

hey aussie dj..Can I have your link to phrazle please? Mine no longer works…

Mine’s not working, either.

This is the one I normally use – https://phrazle.org/

It’s down for everyone!

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/phrazle.org.html

Well. that’s good i suppose. At least it isn’t just me.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 00:27:39
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1996352
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


AussieDJ said:

AussieDJ said:

Mine’s not working, either.

This is the one I normally use – https://phrazle.org/

It’s down for everyone!

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/phrazle.org.html

Well. that’s good i suppose. At least it isn’t just me.

+1

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 01:57:01
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996353
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/feb/19/could-alzheimers-be-caused-by-an-infection

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 01:59:34
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1996354
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


In case you were curious, the Tardis noise is a door key being dragged down a bass string of a broken framed piano. With the addition of a few oscillator blips, some white noise and plenty of feedback, the first incarnation of the famed TARDIS dematerialization sound was born.

Also in case you were curious, this is what the inside of a broadcast Tardis booth looks like.
This particular model is just a little bit cosy.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 02:26:15
From: Kingy
ID: 1996355
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Unbelievable destruction from Cyclone Gabrielle in New Zealand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r4NUI9oOWM

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 03:41:54
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996359
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Guess not. Ok does anyone know if Bubbles has moved recently?

Sorry DA, I was having a mammoth 12 hour sleep :)

I haven’t moved since 2019.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 05:52:35
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996361
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Food literacy in the classroom

Food literacy in the classroom

Picture the scene: a teacher brings fresh fruit and vegetables into a school classroom, and the children talk and write about what they see, smell, touch, even hear, as it is peeled and sliced open. They are not forced to taste but, invariably, after discussing and drawing the produce, they decide to try. This is Taste Ed: a countrywide “food literacy” initiative.

“Food literacy is knowing what a carrot is, and recognising it with all five senses,” says Bee Wilson, the journalist and author who cofounded Taste Ed with headmaster Jason O’Rourke.

Wilson and O’Rourke were inspired by the European model of sapere, a sensory education method which “isn’t theoretical, isn’t ‘five a day’; it is food in children’s hands. They play with it and learn the joy of it,” says Wilson. In the UK, Taste Ed takes the form of five lessons any teacher can deliver. “Lesson one is always sight, and lesson five is always taste, but no one has to try it, and no one has to like it. What we’re trying to get past is the fear.” It is surprisingly effective, as acknowledged by the BBC Food and Farming award they won this year for food innovation. “We get the feedback, and again and again children are trying blueberries, cabbages and lettuce, and wanting more.”

——

Picture the scene: a teacher brings fresh fruit and vegetables into a school classroom, and the children talk and write about what they see, smell, touch, even hear, as it is peeled and sliced open. They are not forced to taste but, invariably, after discussing and drawing the produce, they decide to try. This is Taste Ed: a countrywide “food literacy” initiative.

“Food literacy is knowing what a carrot is, and recognising it with all five senses,” says Bee Wilson, the journalist and author who cofounded Taste Ed with headmaster Jason O’Rourke.

Wilson and O’Rourke were inspired by the European model of sapere, a sensory education method which “isn’t theoretical, isn’t ‘five a day’; it is food in children’s hands. They play with it and learn the joy of it,” says Wilson. In the UK, Taste Ed takes the form of five lessons any teacher can deliver. “Lesson one is always sight, and lesson five is always taste, but no one has to try it, and no one has to like it. What we’re trying to get past is the fear.” It is surprisingly effective, as acknowledged by the BBC Food and Farming award they won this year for food innovation. “We get the feedback, and again and again children are trying blueberries, cabbages and lettuce, and wanting more.”

more

https://www.theguardian.com/food/ng-interactive/2023/feb/19/30-things-we-love-in-the-world-of-food-right-now

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 06:36:14
From: buffy
ID: 1996364
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 10 degrees and there is a gentle pink glow in the East. Sunrise today is around 7.10, still accompanied by Saturn. We are forecast a partly cloudy 28

I have to stew some peaches, the last of the “crop” so I can make a peachy slice later in the day. I also have to fill our FOGO bin because tomorrow is emptying day. No shortage of weeds for that. I’ve got feverfew to cut back, so that will make the bin smell nice anyway.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 07:06:20
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996366
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning. 13.6 °C at the mo. Heading northwards to 39. This be the week ahead.

Big day out in Wagga Wagga. Hope this needles in the neck thing works.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 07:31:44
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996367
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Why not simply eat the whole fruit?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 07:38:03
From: transition
ID: 1996368
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

i’ll move the hose, stay seated

armarnarmarnar

ancient indian chant announcing an imminent hot day

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 07:45:56
From: ms spock
ID: 1996369
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


Kingy said:

In case you were curious, the Tardis noise is a door key being dragged down a bass string of a broken framed piano. With the addition of a few oscillator blips, some white noise and plenty of feedback, the first incarnation of the famed TARDIS dematerialization sound was born.

Also in case you were curious, this is what the inside of a broadcast Tardis booth looks like.
This particular model is just a little bit cosy.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 07:46:36
From: ms spock
ID: 1996370
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Unbelievable destruction from Cyclone Gabrielle in New Zealand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r4NUI9oOWM

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 07:47:57
From: ms spock
ID: 1996371
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Fáilte romhat isteach! Welcome one and all!

Many trees to water, and some to plant!

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 07:59:04
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996374
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I have the Longford GP at 2pm this afternoon for a punch biopsy and 5th Covid booster.

Ross people will be driving me there. Be nice to have some flesh-&-blood company for a while.

Seem to have been surrounded by death and grieving lately – Uncle Andrei’s wife gone, Mr Tunks’ wife gone, now the crazy death of sibeen & wife.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 08:12:00
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996375
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


I have the Longford GP at 2pm this afternoon for a punch biopsy and 5th Covid booster.

Ross people will be driving me there. Be nice to have some flesh-&-blood company for a while.

Seem to have been surrounded by death and grieving lately – Uncle Andrei’s wife gone, Mr Tunks’ wife gone, now the crazy death of sibeen & wife.

Lots of famous people dead so far this year too. 2023 is being deadly.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 08:47:20
From: Michael V
ID: 1996378
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Morning. 13.6 °C at the mo. Heading northwards to 39. This be the week ahead.

Big day out in Wagga Wagga. Hope this needles in the neck thing works.

Good luck.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 08:56:52
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996379
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Morning. 13.6 °C at the mo. Heading northwards to 39. This be the week ahead.

Big day out in Wagga Wagga. Hope this needles in the neck thing works.

Wishing you an effective needling.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 08:58:02
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996380
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Brown food brunch: 8 x mini dim sims, steamed.

That may seem a lot but they’re tiny so it’s only about 130gms.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 09:00:57
From: Michael V
ID: 1996381
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Mourning.

There’s a dark grey veil over the skies. It’s overcast with occasional light rain and more about, according to the radar. Gusty light breezes are happening to fill the otherwise calm air. It’s 24.6°C and 71% RH. BoM tells me to dress for 28°C and that there’s likely to be rain about all day.

Agenda: the usual, stained with a large spot of mourning.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 09:10:43
From: Michael V
ID: 1996385
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Brown food brunch: 8 x mini dim sims, steamed.

That may seem a lot but they’re tiny so it’s only about 130gms.

Have you thought this through fully? You’ll only have seven left for your next mini dim sim meal!

Are you using a dipping sauce? When we have dim sims, we use yoghurt and our home-made (very hot) sweet chilli sauce together as a dipping sauce. It’s yummy.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 09:15:33
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996387
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

Brown food brunch: 8 x mini dim sims, steamed.

That may seem a lot but they’re tiny so it’s only about 130gms.

Have you thought this through fully? You’ll only have seven left for your next mini dim sim meal!

Are you using a dipping sauce? When we have dim sims, we use yoghurt and our home-made (very hot) sweet chilli sauce together as a dipping sauce. It’s yummy.

Sounds good but I didn’t really have anything appropriate so just used mayo.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 09:59:09
From: buffy
ID: 1996394
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

Brown food brunch: 8 x mini dim sims, steamed.

That may seem a lot but they’re tiny so it’s only about 130gms.

Have you thought this through fully? You’ll only have seven left for your next mini dim sim meal!

Are you using a dipping sauce? When we have dim sims, we use yoghurt and our home-made (very hot) sweet chilli sauce together as a dipping sauce. It’s yummy.

Sounds good but I didn’t really have anything appropriate so just used mayo.

Oh! Light soy for flavour with steamed dim sims if you are not using chili oil or sweet chilli sauce! Mayo!!

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 10:12:02
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1996395
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Mourning.

There’s a dark grey veil over the skies. It’s overcast with occasional light rain and more about, according to the radar. Gusty light breezes are happening to fill the otherwise calm air. It’s 24.6°C and 71% RH. BoM tells me to dress for 28°C and that there’s likely to be rain about all day.

Agenda: the usual, stained with a large spot of mourning.


I was just popping in to see how everyone is going. It’s a sad time for everyone, I’m wanting to make sure everyone has support should they need it.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 10:20:59
From: buffy
ID: 1996396
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I had company this morning when I picked the lettuce. This little fellow hopped onto my hand. Initially I went to flick him off, not knowing what had landed on me. Then he turned into quite a camera tart. I had to carry him inside to get my camera. He just clung onto my hand. Then we went outside for the good light and he posed.

….

It’s a Ewing’s tree frog I think.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 10:23:44
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1996397
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

What are 15-minute cities and how did they ignite a conspiracy theory?

Designing shops, schools and public transport near homes sounds like a good idea. So how did urban planning become a new battleground for conspiracy theorists?

ByCara Waters
FEBRUARY 19, 2023

Conspiracy theorists have moved on from rumours about microchips in COVID-19 vaccines and the potential dangers of 5G mobile phone towers to a previously uncontroversial urban planning principle.

The 15-minute city has caught on around the world – including in many Australian municipalities – but opposition to the idea has also caught hold among fringe groups. People suspicious of the planning concept are battling against it in forums from Britain’s House of Commons to a council meeting in Melbourne.

So, why the concern? And what is a 15-minute city?

What’s a 15-minute city?
A 15-minute city is a principle that everything you need should be within 15 minutes’ walk or public transport of your home – schools, shops, libraries, parks, transport, job opportunities, healthcare and so on. The idea is that a network of 15-minute cities provides inhabitants with easy access to everything they need.

If you live in a city, how long does it take you to get to a supermarket? What about a pharmacy or a school? For adherents of the 15-minute-city concept, the answer to all those questions should be “less than 15 minutes”.

The actual timeframe is slightly fluid: 15-minute cities are also referred to, in urban planning speak, as 20-minute cities or neighbourhoods and Copenhagen trumped everyone with a “Five Minutes to Everything” model.

Spanish urban planner Professor Carlos Moreno is credited with coining the term in 2016, but elements of the philosophy have been around since the 1960s. It has been adopted around the world, most famously by Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo, who made it the cornerstone of her 2020 re-election campaign and has overseen the installation of hundreds of kilometres of new bike lanes and a new metro line, and the conversion of some streets into parks.

“I am convinced we need to transform the city so Parisians can learn, do sports, have healthcare, shop, within 15 minutes of their home.”

Anne Hidalgo, mayor of Paris
“In Paris we all feel we have no time; we are always rushing to one place or another, always trying to gain time,” Hidalgo says. “That is why I am convinced we need to transform the city so Parisians can learn, do sports, have healthcare, shop, within 15 minutes of their home.”

Rory Hyde, associate professor of architecture at the University of Melbourne, says the concept of 15-minute cities is “just the best idea”.

“It’s a principle that requires planners to spread infrastructure around and stop building mono neighbourhoods like sprawling residential compounds without schools, parks or health
In Victoria, the 15-minute city philosophy was adopted in the Plan Melbourne Blueprint championed by former premier Dennis Napthine and former planning minister Matthew Guy in 2014, albeit with a 20-minute metric. The blueprint states that 20-minute neighbourhoods “tend to be safer and more inclusive communities and to have vibrant local economies” and “help improve health and wellbeing, reduce travel costs and traffic congestion, and reduce vehicle emissions”.

Deputy lord mayor and chair of planning at the City of Melbourne, Nicholas Reece, says the idea of 15- or 20-minute cities is “very popular” among urban planners in Australia. “There is nothing to fear and a lot to love about the 15-minute city,” he says. “It promotes healthy and sustainable living and improves the quality of life and connection to local community for city dwellers.”

“There is nothing to fear and a lot to love about the 15-minute city.”

Nicholas Reece, City of Melbourne
In NSW, the Future Transport Strategy is planning both 30-minute transport hubs around six regions, including Parramatta, Chatswood, Wollongong and Coffs Harbour, that provide commuters with hubs of “one-stop shops” (supermarkets, post offices and so on) and 15-minute neighbourhoods which prioritise walking, cycling and micromobility (getting about on electric scooters and bikes).

“Our vision for 15-minute neighbourhoods will also improve health and wellbeing outcomes and ensure local communities thrive,” the NSW Minister for Cities and Active Transport, Rob Stokes, has said. (Active transport includes walking and cycling.)

Experts cite Brisbane’s West End and the inner Melbourne suburb of Carlton as examples of areas that would qualify as 15-minute cities.

What’s the conspiracy theory then?

Conspiracy theorists are concerned that 15-minute cities are really designed to restrict people’s movements, so they can be better surveilled by the government. Some claim 15-minute cities represent the first step to open-air jails where residents will not be allowed to leave their prescribed area.

As one British TikToker, blaming Britain’s Conservative government, wrongly warned: “You’re going to have to apply for a f—-ing permit, a permit right, to leave your zone.”

Concerns about 15-minute cities have reached the British parliament where, in February, Nick Fletcher – a Conservative MP – called for a “debate on the international socialist concept of so-called 15-minute cities and 20-minute neighbourhoods”.

Fletcher warned that low-emission zones in Britain, where traffic is limited in some neighbourhoods, were causing “untold economic damage”. He did not elaborate on what this damage was. “The second step after these zones will take away personal freedoms as well,” he said. “That cannot be right.”

My Place Australia network, which holds local meetups around the country and has 2700 Facebook members, has espoused the conspiracy theories around 15-minute cities at “meet ‘n’ greets” advertised from Byron Bay in NSW to Ocean Grove on Victoria’s Surf Coast this week.

“It is Crunch time 2023, really time we go after our councils as they are the ones bringing in the 5G, the Smart Cities, etc.”

The Frankston My Place website states that the goal of the network is to “implement a project that allows us to step away from the current systems that are not serving our best interests”. Minutes from the most recent meeting include discussions of homeschooling, gardening, health and a “community action group” that targets local councils. “It is Crunch time 2023, really time we go after our councils as they are the ones bringing in the 5G, the Smart Cities, etc,” the minutes state.

Some My Place members have started going to council meetings to voice their views. The mayor of Melbourne’s Yarra Ranges, Jim Child, closed a meeting to the public this week after “a number of outbursts” from attendees, at least some of whom were believed to be from the local My Place group, during talk of 20-minute neighbourhoods. “Police were called to assist with the crowd of 100-plus agitators, who didn’t follow the rules we set down for council meetings,” Child said. The group has told the council they will attend meetings until council elections next year.

How has the conspiracy theory caught on?
Jonn Elledge, author of Conspiracy: A History of B*llocks Theories, and How Not to Fall for Them, says that in a sane world the theory behind 15-minute cities would not be even remotely controversial.

“The theory has caught hold because people have had direct recent experience of ‘faceless’ government officials locking them in their homes or neighbourhoods during the pandemic,” he says. “When someone says that 15-minute cities aren’t just a benign theory about how lovely it would be if you had everything you needed in walking distance, they’re the next stage of a sinister plot by the new world order to lock you in your homes … there are some people who are primed to believe it.”

Local councils are increasingly fielding correspondence from people who claim to be “frightened” by 15-minute cities.

Elledge says part of the issue is that urbanism is a global movement that groups such as the World Economic Forum engage with and which, for example, hold international conferences. “That’s obviously prime conspiracist territory, as it fits into the whole Illuminati/New World Order/sinister international conspiracy view of things,” he says.

Urban planners have been left baffled by opposition to 15-minute cities, with Moreno copping racist abuse online, while in Australia local councils such as the City of Melbourne are increasingly fielding correspondence from people who claim to be “frightened” by 15-minute cities.

“Wild conspiracy theories that the 15-minute city will require people to obtain a pass to leave their zone or stop them leaving their local area are ludicrous,” Reece says. “In fact, the 15-minute city will give people more freedom and opportunity to enjoy the best things in life close to their home.”

https://www.theage.com.au/national/what-are-15-minute-cities-and-how-did-they-ignite-a-conspiracy-theory-20230214-p5ckj7.html

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 10:24:35
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1996398
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I had company this morning when I picked the lettuce. This little fellow hopped onto my hand. Initially I went to flick him off, not knowing what had landed on me. Then he turned into quite a camera tart. I had to carry him inside to get my camera. He just clung onto my hand. Then we went outside for the good light and he posed.

….

It’s a Ewing’s tree frog I think.

Very handsome.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 10:24:58
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1996399
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Aww what a cutie! I found a dead marsh frog on the road not long ago. Haven’t seen those before. I mainly see green tree froggies and those blasted cane toads. Because no one in my house knows how to close a frickin door, we get cane toads chillin’ in the kitchen at night. The last one I saw, I tried to shoo out the back door but it hid behind the TV cabinet. No idea where it went after that, it wasn’t there in the morning.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 10:25:44
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996400
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I had company this morning when I picked the lettuce. This little fellow hopped onto my hand. Initially I went to flick him off, not knowing what had landed on me. Then he turned into quite a camera tart. I had to carry him inside to get my camera. He just clung onto my hand. Then we went outside for the good light and he posed.

….

It’s a Ewing’s tree frog I think.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 10:26:16
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1996401
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“What are 15-minute cities and how did they ignite a conspiracy theory?”

FMD. I hate people.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 10:26:51
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996403
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Bubblecar said:

Michael V said:

Have you thought this through fully? You’ll only have seven left for your next mini dim sim meal!

Are you using a dipping sauce? When we have dim sims, we use yoghurt and our home-made (very hot) sweet chilli sauce together as a dipping sauce. It’s yummy.

Sounds good but I didn’t really have anything appropriate so just used mayo.

Oh! Light soy for flavour with steamed dim sims if you are not using chili oil or sweet chilli sauce! Mayo!!

I have some very salty soy sauce but didn’t use that ‘cos the sims were already quite salty.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 10:27:47
From: transition
ID: 1996404
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

been for walk, couple, between moving the hose

warming up it is

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 10:30:15
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996405
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


“What are 15-minute cities and how did they ignite a conspiracy theory?”

FMD. I hate people.

Mad people everywhere these days but unfortunately it seems there’s no cure.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 10:34:41
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1996406
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


“What are 15-minute cities and how did they ignite a conspiracy theory?”

FMD. I hate people.

Thanks!

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 10:37:01
From: buffy
ID: 1996407
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


What are 15-minute cities and how did they ignite a conspiracy theory?

Designing shops, schools and public transport near homes sounds like a good idea. So how did urban planning become a new battleground for conspiracy theorists?

ByCara Waters
FEBRUARY 19, 2023

Conspiracy theorists have moved on from rumours about microchips in COVID-19 vaccines and the potential dangers of 5G mobile phone towers to a previously uncontroversial urban planning principle.

The 15-minute city has caught on around the world – including in many Australian municipalities – but opposition to the idea has also caught hold among fringe groups. People suspicious of the planning concept are battling against it in forums from Britain’s House of Commons to a council meeting in Melbourne.

So, why the concern? And what is a 15-minute city?

What’s a 15-minute city?
A 15-minute city is a principle that everything you need should be within 15 minutes’ walk or public transport of your home – schools, shops, libraries, parks, transport, job opportunities, healthcare and so on. The idea is that a network of 15-minute cities provides inhabitants with easy access to everything they need.

If you live in a city, how long does it take you to get to a supermarket? What about a pharmacy or a school? For adherents of the 15-minute-city concept, the answer to all those questions should be “less than 15 minutes”.

The actual timeframe is slightly fluid: 15-minute cities are also referred to, in urban planning speak, as 20-minute cities or neighbourhoods and Copenhagen trumped everyone with a “Five Minutes to Everything” model.

Spanish urban planner Professor Carlos Moreno is credited with coining the term in 2016, but elements of the philosophy have been around since the 1960s. It has been adopted around the world, most famously by Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo, who made it the cornerstone of her 2020 re-election campaign and has overseen the installation of hundreds of kilometres of new bike lanes and a new metro line, and the conversion of some streets into parks.

“I am convinced we need to transform the city so Parisians can learn, do sports, have healthcare, shop, within 15 minutes of their home.”

Anne Hidalgo, mayor of Paris
“In Paris we all feel we have no time; we are always rushing to one place or another, always trying to gain time,” Hidalgo says. “That is why I am convinced we need to transform the city so Parisians can learn, do sports, have healthcare, shop, within 15 minutes of their home.”

Rory Hyde, associate professor of architecture at the University of Melbourne, says the concept of 15-minute cities is “just the best idea”.

“It’s a principle that requires planners to spread infrastructure around and stop building mono neighbourhoods like sprawling residential compounds without schools, parks or health
In Victoria, the 15-minute city philosophy was adopted in the Plan Melbourne Blueprint championed by former premier Dennis Napthine and former planning minister Matthew Guy in 2014, albeit with a 20-minute metric. The blueprint states that 20-minute neighbourhoods “tend to be safer and more inclusive communities and to have vibrant local economies” and “help improve health and wellbeing, reduce travel costs and traffic congestion, and reduce vehicle emissions”.

Deputy lord mayor and chair of planning at the City of Melbourne, Nicholas Reece, says the idea of 15- or 20-minute cities is “very popular” among urban planners in Australia. “There is nothing to fear and a lot to love about the 15-minute city,” he says. “It promotes healthy and sustainable living and improves the quality of life and connection to local community for city dwellers.”

“There is nothing to fear and a lot to love about the 15-minute city.”

Nicholas Reece, City of Melbourne
In NSW, the Future Transport Strategy is planning both 30-minute transport hubs around six regions, including Parramatta, Chatswood, Wollongong and Coffs Harbour, that provide commuters with hubs of “one-stop shops” (supermarkets, post offices and so on) and 15-minute neighbourhoods which prioritise walking, cycling and micromobility (getting about on electric scooters and bikes).

“Our vision for 15-minute neighbourhoods will also improve health and wellbeing outcomes and ensure local communities thrive,” the NSW Minister for Cities and Active Transport, Rob Stokes, has said. (Active transport includes walking and cycling.)

Experts cite Brisbane’s West End and the inner Melbourne suburb of Carlton as examples of areas that would qualify as 15-minute cities.

What’s the conspiracy theory then?

Conspiracy theorists are concerned that 15-minute cities are really designed to restrict people’s movements, so they can be better surveilled by the government. Some claim 15-minute cities represent the first step to open-air jails where residents will not be allowed to leave their prescribed area.

As one British TikToker, blaming Britain’s Conservative government, wrongly warned: “You’re going to have to apply for a f—-ing permit, a permit right, to leave your zone.”

Concerns about 15-minute cities have reached the British parliament where, in February, Nick Fletcher – a Conservative MP – called for a “debate on the international socialist concept of so-called 15-minute cities and 20-minute neighbourhoods”.

Fletcher warned that low-emission zones in Britain, where traffic is limited in some neighbourhoods, were causing “untold economic damage”. He did not elaborate on what this damage was. “The second step after these zones will take away personal freedoms as well,” he said. “That cannot be right.”

My Place Australia network, which holds local meetups around the country and has 2700 Facebook members, has espoused the conspiracy theories around 15-minute cities at “meet ‘n’ greets” advertised from Byron Bay in NSW to Ocean Grove on Victoria’s Surf Coast this week.

“It is Crunch time 2023, really time we go after our councils as they are the ones bringing in the 5G, the Smart Cities, etc.”

The Frankston My Place website states that the goal of the network is to “implement a project that allows us to step away from the current systems that are not serving our best interests”. Minutes from the most recent meeting include discussions of homeschooling, gardening, health and a “community action group” that targets local councils. “It is Crunch time 2023, really time we go after our councils as they are the ones bringing in the 5G, the Smart Cities, etc,” the minutes state.

Some My Place members have started going to council meetings to voice their views. The mayor of Melbourne’s Yarra Ranges, Jim Child, closed a meeting to the public this week after “a number of outbursts” from attendees, at least some of whom were believed to be from the local My Place group, during talk of 20-minute neighbourhoods. “Police were called to assist with the crowd of 100-plus agitators, who didn’t follow the rules we set down for council meetings,” Child said. The group has told the council they will attend meetings until council elections next year.

How has the conspiracy theory caught on?
Jonn Elledge, author of Conspiracy: A History of B*llocks Theories, and How Not to Fall for Them, says that in a sane world the theory behind 15-minute cities would not be even remotely controversial.

“The theory has caught hold because people have had direct recent experience of ‘faceless’ government officials locking them in their homes or neighbourhoods during the pandemic,” he says. “When someone says that 15-minute cities aren’t just a benign theory about how lovely it would be if you had everything you needed in walking distance, they’re the next stage of a sinister plot by the new world order to lock you in your homes … there are some people who are primed to believe it.”

Local councils are increasingly fielding correspondence from people who claim to be “frightened” by 15-minute cities.

Elledge says part of the issue is that urbanism is a global movement that groups such as the World Economic Forum engage with and which, for example, hold international conferences. “That’s obviously prime conspiracist territory, as it fits into the whole Illuminati/New World Order/sinister international conspiracy view of things,” he says.

Urban planners have been left baffled by opposition to 15-minute cities, with Moreno copping racist abuse online, while in Australia local councils such as the City of Melbourne are increasingly fielding correspondence from people who claim to be “frightened” by 15-minute cities.

“Wild conspiracy theories that the 15-minute city will require people to obtain a pass to leave their zone or stop them leaving their local area are ludicrous,” Reece says. “In fact, the 15-minute city will give people more freedom and opportunity to enjoy the best things in life close to their home.”

https://www.theage.com.au/national/what-are-15-minute-cities-and-how-did-they-ignite-a-conspiracy-theory-20230214-p5ckj7.html

Can’t possibly be a conspiracy thing if Dennis Napthine and Matthew Guy think it’s good.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 10:39:47
From: buffy
ID: 1996408
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Oh my goodness…this is strangely tempting to watch tonight on SBS One.

Monster: The Mystery Of Loch Ness

Monday, 20 Feb

8:30 PM – 9:30 PM

pg

Enthused by the first convincing moving film footage of the monster, TV presenter and conservationist Peter Scott joins the hunt, by trying to engage the scientific world. The Loch Ness Phenomena Investigation Bureau is formed and expeditions are mounted securing yet more compelling film footage. Yet, while the scientific establishment remain firmly unconvinced, American Robert Rines captures what appears to be the ‘flipper’, ‘whole body’ and ‘head’ of the beast underwater. This time it’s evidence science cannot ignore.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 10:41:18
From: transition
ID: 1996409
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

cactus attacks me reaching past’t to other stuff with hose, seven places that hand, I immerses in metho gets the stingies into the infection monstas

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 10:41:36
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1996410
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:

Divine Angel said:

“What are 15-minute cities and how did they ignite a conspiracy theory?”

FMD. I hate people.

Mad people everywhere these days but unfortunately it seems there’s no cure.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 10:58:53
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996411
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Just chatting with the older sister and it seems that Chopper Reid’s son was arrested last week in the middle of the night just outside my immediately younger sister’s Pontville place.

Said sister and her partner were woken that night by shouts and lights etc, to fond their lovely property crawling with police.

They were calling out “Come on Charlie we know you’re here somewhere, come on out!”

Seems they’d been chasing him and he dumped his car (full of drugs and guns etc) in the cemetery next door to the sister’s place.

Eventually they found him hiding in some blackberry bushes on the other side of her bottom fence.

They they heard the police saying “OK Charlie, where’s your gun?” blah blah blah. They took him away not long after and the sister tried to get some more sleep.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 10:59:01
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1996412
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I had company this morning when I picked the lettuce. This little fellow hopped onto my hand. Initially I went to flick him off, not knowing what had landed on me. Then he turned into quite a camera tart. I had to carry him inside to get my camera. He just clung onto my hand. Then we went outside for the good light and he posed.

….

It’s a Ewing’s tree frog I think.

Ewing’s finger frog I think.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 10:59:20
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1996413
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Oh my goodness…this is strangely tempting to watch tonight on SBS One.

Monster: The Mystery Of Loch Ness

Monday, 20 Feb

8:30 PM – 9:30 PM

pg

Enthused by the first convincing moving film footage of the monster, TV presenter and conservationist Peter Scott joins the hunt, by trying to engage the scientific world. The Loch Ness Phenomena Investigation Bureau is formed and expeditions are mounted securing yet more compelling film footage. Yet, while the scientific establishment remain firmly unconvinced, American Robert Rines captures what appears to be the ‘flipper’, ‘whole body’ and ‘head’ of the beast underwater. This time it’s evidence science cannot ignore.

There is a monster in Loch Ness
A fact ye cannie hide
It`s got mair curves than a click box star
An a wiggle three miles wide.
An a wiggle three miles wide.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:00:04
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996414
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Just chatting with the older sister and it seems that Chopper Reid’s son was arrested last week in the middle of the night just outside my immediately younger sister’s Pontville place.

Said sister and her partner were woken that night by shouts and lights etc, to fond their lovely property crawling with police.

They were calling out “Come on Charlie we know you’re here somewhere, come on out!”

Seems they’d been chasing him and he dumped his car (full of drugs and guns etc) in the cemetery next door to the sister’s place.

Eventually they found him hiding in some blackberry bushes on the other side of her bottom fence.

They they heard the police saying “OK Charlie, where’s your gun?” blah blah blah. They took him away not long after and the sister tried to get some more sleep.

fond = find

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:05:09
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1996415
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Just chatting with the older sister and it seems that Chopper Reid’s son was arrested last week in the middle of the night just outside my immediately younger sister’s Pontville place.

Said sister and her partner were woken that night by shouts and lights etc, to fond their lovely property crawling with police.

They were calling out “Come on Charlie we know you’re here somewhere, come on out!”

Seems they’d been chasing him and he dumped his car (full of drugs and guns etc) in the cemetery next door to the sister’s place.

Eventually they found him hiding in some blackberry bushes on the other side of her bottom fence.

They they heard the police saying “OK Charlie, where’s your gun?” blah blah blah. They took him away not long after and the sister tried to get some more sleep.

Choppers in the air?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:06:21
From: Michael V
ID: 1996416
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Michael V said:

Mourning.

There’s a dark grey veil over the skies. It’s overcast with occasional light rain and more about, according to the radar. Gusty light breezes are happening to fill the otherwise calm air. It’s 24.6°C and 71% RH. BoM tells me to dress for 28°C and that there’s likely to be rain about all day.

Agenda: the usual, stained with a large spot of mourning.


I was just popping in to see how everyone is going. It’s a sad time for everyone, I’m wanting to make sure everyone has support should they need it.

Mrs V is supporting me.

Thanks. That’s a very generous offer.

:)

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:07:04
From: Cymek
ID: 1996417
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Greetings

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:07:14
From: Michael V
ID: 1996418
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I had company this morning when I picked the lettuce. This little fellow hopped onto my hand. Initially I went to flick him off, not knowing what had landed on me. Then he turned into quite a camera tart. I had to carry him inside to get my camera. He just clung onto my hand. Then we went outside for the good light and he posed.

….

It’s a Ewing’s tree frog I think.

How lovely.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:09:02
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996419
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

Just chatting with the older sister and it seems that Chopper Reid’s son was arrested last week in the middle of the night just outside my immediately younger sister’s Pontville place.

Said sister and her partner were woken that night by shouts and lights etc, to fond their lovely property crawling with police.

They were calling out “Come on Charlie we know you’re here somewhere, come on out!”

Seems they’d been chasing him and he dumped his car (full of drugs and guns etc) in the cemetery next door to the sister’s place.

Eventually they found him hiding in some blackberry bushes on the other side of her bottom fence.

They they heard the police saying “OK Charlie, where’s your gun?” blah blah blah. They took him away not long after and the sister tried to get some more sleep.

Choppers in the air?

Don’t think so. They knew he must be very nearby as they arrived almost immediately after he abandoned his car.

Article about it here. BTW I misspelt Read :)

Charlie Read, son of ‘Chopper’, remanded on drugs, driving, firearms charges in Tasmania

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:09:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996420
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Bubblecar said:

Just chatting with the older sister and it seems that Chopper Reid’s son was arrested last week in the middle of the night just outside my immediately younger sister’s Pontville place.

Said sister and her partner were woken that night by shouts and lights etc, to fond their lovely property crawling with police.

They were calling out “Come on Charlie we know you’re here somewhere, come on out!”

Seems they’d been chasing him and he dumped his car (full of drugs and guns etc) in the cemetery next door to the sister’s place.

Eventually they found him hiding in some blackberry bushes on the other side of her bottom fence.

They they heard the police saying “OK Charlie, where’s your gun?” blah blah blah. They took him away not long after and the sister tried to get some more sleep.

Choppers in the air?

Don’t think so. They knew he must be very nearby as they arrived almost immediately after he abandoned his car.

Article about it here. BTW I misspelt Read :)

Charlie Read, son of ‘Chopper’, remanded on drugs, driving, firearms charges in Tasmania

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-17/mark-chopper-read-son-charlie-drug-driving-firearm-charges/101988690

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:12:12
From: Cymek
ID: 1996421
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

I had company this morning when I picked the lettuce. This little fellow hopped onto my hand. Initially I went to flick him off, not knowing what had landed on me. Then he turned into quite a camera tart. I had to carry him inside to get my camera. He just clung onto my hand. Then we went outside for the good light and he posed.

….

It’s a Ewing’s tree frog I think.

How lovely.

:)

Frogs are cool little animals

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:13:57
From: Michael V
ID: 1996422
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


What are 15-minute cities and how did they ignite a conspiracy theory?

Designing shops, schools and public transport near homes sounds like a good idea. So how did urban planning become a new battleground for conspiracy theorists?

………….snip…………..

“Wild conspiracy theories that the 15-minute city will require people to obtain a pass to leave their zone or stop them leaving their local area are ludicrous,” Reece says. “In fact, the 15-minute city will give people more freedom and opportunity to enjoy the best things in life close to their home.”

https://www.theage.com.au/national/what-are-15-minute-cities-and-how-did-they-ignite-a-conspiracy-theory-20230214-p5ckj7.html

Well, that’s weird. Some people are really odd.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:16:47
From: dv
ID: 1996423
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

BTW how did he get the nickname Shebs?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:17:55
From: Michael V
ID: 1996425
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Just chatting with the older sister and it seems that Chopper Reid’s son was arrested last week in the middle of the night just outside my immediately younger sister’s Pontville place.

Said sister and her partner were woken that night by shouts and lights etc, to fond their lovely property crawling with police.

They were calling out “Come on Charlie we know you’re here somewhere, come on out!”

Seems they’d been chasing him and he dumped his car (full of drugs and guns etc) in the cemetery next door to the sister’s place.

Eventually they found him hiding in some blackberry bushes on the other side of her bottom fence.

They they heard the police saying “OK Charlie, where’s your gun?” blah blah blah. They took him away not long after and the sister tried to get some more sleep.

A bit of action. Would’ve got their attention.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:19:02
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1996426
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


BTW how did he get the nickname Shebs?

sibeen…shebeen

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:19:50
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1996427
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


dv said:

BTW how did he get the nickname Shebs?

sibeen…shebeen

variant spelling

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:21:08
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1996428
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


BTW how did he get the nickname Shebs?

I’ve wondered that. I guessed it was the correct Gaelic pronunciation of the word ‘Sibeen’ meaning Irish pub.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:21:36
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996429
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


BTW how did he get the nickname Shebs?

From “Shebeen” I’d think. Irish word for an illegal pub, from whence came sibeen’s handle, I’ve assumed.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:22:25
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1996430
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


dv said:

BTW how did he get the nickname Shebs?

I’ve wondered that. I guessed it was the correct Gaelic pronunciation of the word ‘Sibeen’ meaning Irish pub.

illicit irish drinking house.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:22:32
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1996431
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

luckily

He says families that move to suburbs like Marsden Park could feel cost-of-living pressures more than most, “because they’re now having to make choices about driving longer distances and the financial stress of living disconnected”. “Residents understandably get frustrated when they see the McDonald’s go up a lot faster than a school in these areas, so it is critical that the rollout of infrastructure is planned appropriately.” “Too early and you have empty classrooms or vacant train carriages, too late and you have areas like Marsden Park and Camden where people are left waiting.”

private enterprise builds faster and better than state-funded activity

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-20/why-nsw-election-could-hinge-on-sydneys-outer-electorates/101970560

abolish government, let business run the place

wait

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:23:35
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996432
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

Just chatting with the older sister and it seems that Chopper Reid’s son was arrested last week in the middle of the night just outside my immediately younger sister’s Pontville place.

Said sister and her partner were woken that night by shouts and lights etc, to fond their lovely property crawling with police.

They were calling out “Come on Charlie we know you’re here somewhere, come on out!”

Seems they’d been chasing him and he dumped his car (full of drugs and guns etc) in the cemetery next door to the sister’s place.

Eventually they found him hiding in some blackberry bushes on the other side of her bottom fence.

They they heard the police saying “OK Charlie, where’s your gun?” blah blah blah. They took him away not long after and the sister tried to get some more sleep.

A bit of action. Would’ve got their attention.

They were out on their lawn watching it all. They were surprised the police didn’t tell them to get inside and keep away from windows etc.

But a policewoman just called out to them, “If you see anyone get back inside and lock the door.”

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:24:34
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1996433
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

too much whipping and cream apparently

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-20/man-drowned-at-surfers-paradise-spa-after-inhaling-nangs/101997266

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:25:31
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996434
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Time for a shower.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:28:16
From: Cymek
ID: 1996435
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

too much whipping and cream apparently

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-20/man-drowned-at-surfers-paradise-spa-after-inhaling-nangs/101997266

They seem to have made a resurgence, see them on the streets all the time now

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:28:43
From: dv
ID: 1996436
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


dv said:

BTW how did he get the nickname Shebs?

sibeen…shebeen

I guess

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:31:38
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996437
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The word “Síbín” originated in Ireland between 1780–90. It referred to home brewed whiskey which was then sold illegally and soon came to refer to unlicensed premises that sold alcohol.

With the mass emigration from Ireland in the 1800’s the term soon spread to the UK, the US, Canada, Australia and to Namibia, Zimbabwe and South Africa where the term remains in use to this day.

The Sibin was essentially the forerunner to the now ubiquitous Irish pub. Originally operated illegally they sold home brewed and home distilled alcohol and providing Irish emigrants and their descendants with a place to meet, reminisce of “the old sod” and enjoy a bit of music and “craic” while discussing their new lives abroad and what they had let behind.

There were frequent crackdowns by the police which lead to closures but Sibins were frequently reopened or a new one would pop up in place of a recently closed establishment.

During the prohibition era in America many “Speakeasys” were referred to a Sibin’s by the Irish American community.

In Africa the term “shebeen” was still in use during the apartheid era with a “sheen” referring to an alternative to pubs and bars as under apartheid law black Africans were prohibited from entering a “whites only” establishment.

During the apartheid era shebeens became a crucial meeting place for activists, some attracting working class activists and community members, while others attracted lawyers, doctors and musicians.

http://sibin.ie/index.php/about/

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:33:01
From: badchap
ID: 1996438
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Si usually denotes a ‘sh’ sound in the Irish language.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:35:49
From: Michael V
ID: 1996439
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


ChrispenEvan said:

dv said:

BTW how did he get the nickname Shebs?

sibeen…shebeen

I guess

Ask Arts. She coined and used the nickname quite a bit.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:37:31
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1996441
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

badchap said:

The Si usually denotes a ‘sh’ sound in the Irish language.

and what’s that in SI then

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:37:54
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1996442
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:

SCIENCE said:

too much whipping and cream apparently

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-20/man-drowned-at-surfers-paradise-spa-after-inhaling-nangs/101997266

They seem to have made a resurgence, see them on the streets all the time now

better than cluster bombs or other unexploded munitions we guess

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:42:15
From: badchap
ID: 1996444
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

badchap said:

The Si usually denotes a ‘sh’ sound in the Irish language.

and what’s that in SI then

A pint, of course;)
Sláinte !

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:43:06
From: Cymek
ID: 1996445
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


dv said:

ChrispenEvan said:

sibeen…shebeen

I guess

Ask Arts. She coined and used the nickname quite a bit.

A good natured insult usually

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:43:25
From: Cymek
ID: 1996446
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

Cymek said:

SCIENCE said:

too much whipping and cream apparently

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-20/man-drowned-at-surfers-paradise-spa-after-inhaling-nangs/101997266

They seem to have made a resurgence, see them on the streets all the time now

better than cluster bombs or other unexploded munitions we guess

True

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 11:59:01
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1996450
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


BTW how did he get the nickname Shebs?

I thought it was a work of Arts.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 12:02:50
From: transition
ID: 1996451
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


What are 15-minute cities and how did they ignite a conspiracy theory?

Designing shops, schools and public transport near homes sounds like a good idea. So how did urban planning become a new battleground for conspiracy theorists?

ByCara Waters
FEBRUARY 19, 2023

…/…cut by me master transition…/…

https://www.theage.com.au/national/what-are-15-minute-cities-and-how-did-they-ignite-a-conspiracy-theory-20230214-p5ckj7.html

more to it you might ask what exists of it already, the tendencies of services etc to localize, and you might further ask why it hasn’t naturally evolved to be more of it, surely if it was highly functional it would naturally evolve, so if more of it hasn’t naturally evolved you could ask why, and the answer could be that tendencies toward it already exist and are already being served

then you might ask why deny it already exists, something like it, though I guess if you wanted to distort the picture, wash away what of it that already exists, conceptually dissolve it(further), deny it, that could serve that purpose of distortion

i’d expect some of the reaction to promoting more of it, is in not so much the benefits of anyone living in a fifteen minute city (or whatever want call’t), i’m sure there are plenty benefits, and societal benefits, a better question might be of what does this mean for the people outside a fifteen minute city

will the fifteen minute city compete (if you will) with the evolved localization of services outside it

I mean what if I live in a two-hour country community, most of everything is within two hours

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 12:03:54
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1996452
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


dv said:

BTW how did he get the nickname Shebs?

I thought it was a work of Arts.

Yes.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 12:10:27
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996453
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

BTW how did he get the nickname Shebs?

I thought it was a work of Arts.

Yes.

Aye but “sibeen” is pronounced “shebeen”, she’s just shortening it.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 12:12:52
From: transition
ID: 1996454
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I dones jobsies, maybe coffee and nibbles now

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 12:20:42
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996455
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m waiting for the Ross people, should be here on half an hour or so.

Thinking I’ll do a kedgeree tonight.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 12:21:38
From: Cymek
ID: 1996456
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The cessation of existence is quite a let-down for a human life.
No backup or alternate form of existence we are aware of, even if so its not like you can interact with it.
All the things they miss out on, fragile as well, we die far too easily

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 12:21:58
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996457
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


I’m waiting for the Ross people, should be here on half an hour or so.

Thinking I’ll do a kedgeree tonight.

Need a new keybiard. I’m continually moxing up the i’s and o’s now that their symbols have vanished from their keys.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 12:23:00
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996458
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


The cessation of existence is quite a let-down for a human life.
No backup or alternate form of existence we are aware of, even if so its not like you can interact with it.
All the things they miss out on, fragile as well, we die far too easily

I’ve been saying that for years but does anyone do anything about it?

NO

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 12:24:18
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996459
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Just chatting with the older sister and it seems that Chopper Reid’s son was arrested last week in the middle of the night just outside my immediately younger sister’s Pontville place.

Said sister and her partner were woken that night by shouts and lights etc, to fond their lovely property crawling with police.

They were calling out “Come on Charlie we know you’re here somewhere, come on out!”

Seems they’d been chasing him and he dumped his car (full of drugs and guns etc) in the cemetery next door to the sister’s place.

Eventually they found him hiding in some blackberry bushes on the other side of her bottom fence.

They they heard the police saying “OK Charlie, where’s your gun?” blah blah blah. They took him away not long after and the sister tried to get some more sleep.

fond = find

oh. I thought they got him in norfick. Maybe they chased him from norfick.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 12:27:57
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996460
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Just chatting with the older sister and it seems that Chopper Reid’s son was arrested last week in the middle of the night just outside my immediately younger sister’s Pontville place.

Said sister and her partner were woken that night by shouts and lights etc, to fond their lovely property crawling with police.

They were calling out “Come on Charlie we know you’re here somewhere, come on out!”

Seems they’d been chasing him and he dumped his car (full of drugs and guns etc) in the cemetery next door to the sister’s place.

Eventually they found him hiding in some blackberry bushes on the other side of her bottom fence.

They they heard the police saying “OK Charlie, where’s your gun?” blah blah blah. They took him away not long after and the sister tried to get some more sleep.

fond = find

oh. I thought they got him in norfick. Maybe they chased him from norfick.

Yes, they were chasing him and laid a tyre trap for him at Bridgewater, so by the time he got to Pontville he abandoned the car in the cemetery.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 12:35:32
From: buffy
ID: 1996461
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Lunch report: Beetroot sammich and large cold Milo. Chocolate coated teddy bear. I’ve been weeding and digging and pulling out stones again. Had enough of that for the day. Earlier I stewed the last of the white peaches and after I’ve had a read, a nap and a shower I’ll make up a peach shortbread slice to use them up. I’m reading “Is History Fiction?” at the moment. It’s not light reading, but it is interesting.

https://www.amazon.com.au/History-Fiction-Ann-Curthoys/dp/0472036505

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 13:14:57
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1996465
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:

Cymek said:

The cessation of existence is quite a let-down for a human life.
No backup or alternate form of existence we are aware of, even if so its not like you can interact with it.
All the things they miss out on, fragile as well, we die far too easily

I’ve been saying that for years but does anyone do anything about it?

NO

yes they do they breed

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 13:20:11
From: dv
ID: 1996466
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 13:25:32
From: Cymek
ID: 1996467
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

Bubblecar said:

Cymek said:

The cessation of existence is quite a let-down for a human life.
No backup or alternate form of existence we are aware of, even if so its not like you can interact with it.
All the things they miss out on, fragile as well, we die far too easily

I’ve been saying that for years but does anyone do anything about it?

NO

yes they do they breed

We do have that, but the original person is no more

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 13:34:47
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1996470
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Matildas star Hayley Raso says she and her teammates have sent out a “statement” to the rest of the football world ahead of the FIFA World Cup after defeating Spain in a pulsating clash.
Despite missing 15 first team players, Spain still fielded a team full of quality including veteran forward Jenni Hermoso and Atletico Madrid midfielder Irene Guerrero, but went down 3-2 to the Australians.
———————————————-

Second string Spanis side narrowly loses to Australia.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 13:37:27
From: transition
ID: 1996471
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I reads some news, then watches a lot of stuff on the tube, just listen to john ralston saul, read few of his books long time back

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ralston_Saul

“..John Ralston Saul CC OOnt (born June 19, 1947) is a Canadian writer, political philosopher, and public intellectual. Saul is most widely known for his writings on the nature of individualism, citizenship and the public good; the failures of manager-led societies; the confusion between leadership and managerialism; military strategy, in particular irregular warfare; the role of freedom of speech and culture; and critiques of the prevailing economic paradigm. He is a champion of freedom of expression and was the International President of PEN International, an association of writers. Saul is the co-founder and co-chair of the Institute for Canadian Citizenship, a national charity promoting the inclusion of new citizens. He is also the co-founder and co-chair of 6 Degrees, the global forum for inclusion. Saul is also the husband to the former governor general Adrienne Clarkson, making him the Viceregal consort of Canada during most of her service (1999–2005)..”

and how wonderful is the tube and wiki for a country boy living under a rock

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 13:50:21
From: Michael V
ID: 1996472
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

TIL that Earth’s axial tilt varies with a 41,000 year period. Thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 13:54:38
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996473
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

i get a little further north each year.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 13:54:39
From: dv
ID: 1996474
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

I’ve indicated this change on a map of Rockhampton.

Note that the Tropic of Capricorn Spire in the middle of Rockhampton is several kilometres north of the TOC. It will be something like 300 years before the TOC reaches the Spire.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 13:55:04
From: dv
ID: 1996475
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


dv said:

The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

TIL that Earth’s axial tilt varies with a 41,000 year period. Thanks.

You’re quite welcome.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 13:55:31
From: Tamb
ID: 1996476
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


dv said:

The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

TIL that Earth’s axial tilt varies with a 41,000 year period. Thanks.


Either that or the Council moved the sign.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 13:58:02
From: Cymek
ID: 1996477
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


dv said:

The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

i get a little further north each year.

Gravity probably makes all of us go South each year

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 13:58:15
From: Kingy
ID: 1996478
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

The maps on my fire brigades new navtabs have to be updated because Australia has moved 1.2m since the hydrants were GPS logged 10 years ago.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 13:59:49
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1996479
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


dv said:

The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

I’ve indicated this change on a map of Rockhampton.

Note that the Tropic of Capricorn Spire in the middle of Rockhampton is several kilometres north of the TOC. It will be something like 300 years before the TOC reaches the Spire.

Looks likethey pulled off the A1 on the way to the hospital.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:01:41
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1996481
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


dv said:

dv said:

The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

I’ve indicated this change on a map of Rockhampton.

Note that the Tropic of Capricorn Spire in the middle of Rockhampton is several kilometres north of the TOC. It will be something like 300 years before the TOC reaches the Spire.

Looks likethey pulled off the A1 on the way to the hospital.

The A3, my eyes aren’t what they used to be.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:01:57
From: dv
ID: 1996482
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


dv said:

The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

The maps on my fire brigades new navtabs have to be updated because Australia has moved 1.2m since the hydrants were GPS logged 10 years ago.

That’s a separate issue due to the movement of the Australian tectonic plate.

The Tropic of Cancer, Tropic of Capricorn, Arctic Circle and Antarctic Circle move around 15 metres a year due to a regular long period “wobble” in the earth’s axis.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:02:48
From: dv
ID: 1996483
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


dv said:

dv said:

The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

I’ve indicated this change on a map of Rockhampton.

Note that the Tropic of Capricorn Spire in the middle of Rockhampton is several kilometres north of the TOC. It will be something like 300 years before the TOC reaches the Spire.

Looks likethey pulled off the A1 on the way to the hospital.

heh

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:05:37
From: transition
ID: 1996484
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

see what avians this week the heat brings to the water hole, always plenty, had heap of rainbow bee-eaters come in one year

big raptors come by, stand in the water while drink

might get to see a kingfisher

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:06:47
From: Woodie
ID: 1996485
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

But have they moved the sign accordingly?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:09:02
From: Woodie
ID: 1996486
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Peak Warming Man said:

dv said:

I’ve indicated this change on a map of Rockhampton.

Note that the Tropic of Capricorn Spire in the middle of Rockhampton is several kilometres north of the TOC. It will be something like 300 years before the TOC reaches the Spire.

Looks likethey pulled off the A1 on the way to the hospital.

The A3, my eyes aren’t what they used to be.

Yeah…… you old grey mare.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:11:21
From: kii
ID: 1996487
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


dv said:

The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

I’ve indicated this change on a map of Rockhampton.

Note that the Tropic of Capricorn Spire in the middle of Rockhampton is several kilometres north of the TOC. It will be something like 300 years before the TOC reaches the Spire.

Growing up we had a lovely framed photo of mum and her twin brother at the spire thing, they were teenagers.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:13:16
From: Tamb
ID: 1996488
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


dv said:

The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

But have they moved the sign accordingly?


More puzzling is the highest road in Qld. It went from 1143m to 1162m

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:17:35
From: Michael V
ID: 1996489
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Michael V said:

dv said:

The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

TIL that Earth’s axial tilt varies with a 41,000 year period. Thanks.

You’re quite welcome.

Axial obliquity specifically. One of the Milankovitch cycles.

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2948/milankovitch-orbital-cycles-and-their-role-in-earths-climate/

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:17:42
From: Cymek
ID: 1996490
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Woodie said:

dv said:

The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

But have they moved the sign accordingly?


More puzzling is the highest road in Qld. It went from 1143m to 1162m


Remeasured it perhaps ?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:18:56
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1996491
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:

One of the Milankovitch cycles.

didn’t they make a movie about this guy?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:19:22
From: Tamb
ID: 1996492
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Tamb said:

Woodie said:

But have they moved the sign accordingly?


More puzzling is the highest road in Qld. It went from 1143m to 1162m


Remeasured it perhaps ?


Probably.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:20:43
From: Michael V
ID: 1996493
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Michael V said:
One of the Milankovitch cycles.

didn’t they make a movie about this guy?

I have no idea.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:25:22
From: transition
ID: 1996494
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


see what avians this week the heat brings to the water hole, always plenty, had heap of rainbow bee-eaters come in one year

big raptors come by, stand in the water while drink

might get to see a kingfisher

tern over there yesterday and today, not unusual to get a single tern, or gull
look-sees for picture

here’s better one

18 banded-plovers yesterday

three gordons

few grumpy spurwings

and others

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:30:28
From: Ian
ID: 1996496
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Michael V said:
One of the Milankovitch cycles.

didn’t they make a movie about this guy?

Being John Milankovitch

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:30:43
From: dv
ID: 1996497
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Woodie said:

dv said:

The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

But have they moved the sign accordingly?


More puzzling is the highest road in Qld. It went from 1143m to 1162m


So is it because they built a new road?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:31:14
From: dv
ID: 1996498
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Michael V said:
One of the Milankovitch cycles.

didn’t they make a movie about this guy?

Top flick

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:31:50
From: Woodie
ID: 1996499
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Michael V said:
One of the Milankovitch cycles.

didn’t they make a movie about this guy?

Yes they did. But it was a “her”. Her name was Erin.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:34:40
From: Tamb
ID: 1996500
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Tamb said:

Woodie said:

But have they moved the sign accordingly?


More puzzling is the highest road in Qld. It went from 1143m to 1162m


So is it because they built a new road?


Same corner, slightly reshaped bit not 19m worth.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:35:44
From: Tamb
ID: 1996501
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Michael V said:
One of the Milankovitch cycles.

didn’t they make a movie about this guy?

Yes they did. But it was a “her”. Her name was Erin.


Ooh. Sneaky Mr Woodlike.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:41:17
From: Kingy
ID: 1996502
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


dv said:

The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

But have they moved the sign accordingly?

No, they just changed the wording from “DV was born here” to “DV was born over there”.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:41:34
From: buffy
ID: 1996503
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Pretty lively red bellied black. Watch the video of him catching it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-20/sa-highly-venomous-snake-found-in-busy-adelaide-shopping-centre/101997050

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:44:40
From: buffy
ID: 1996504
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

And this is the first time I’ve seen Cannabis put up on iNaturalist for ID.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/149202097

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:47:09
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1996505
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Tamb said:

Woodie said:

But have they moved the sign accordingly?


More puzzling is the highest road in Qld. It went from 1143m to 1162m


So is it because they built a new road?

hey look the oldest modern style house in Australia became like 50 years older one year

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:47:30
From: Woodie
ID: 1996506
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


And this is the first time I’ve seen Cannabis put up on iNaturalist for ID.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/149202097

hehe giggle

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:49:16
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996507
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 14:49:36
From: dv
ID: 1996508
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Woodie said:

dv said:

The Tropic of Capricorn has moved about 800 metres northward during my life.

But have they moved the sign accordingly?

No, they just changed the wording from “DV was born here” to “DV was born over there”.

Ha

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 15:09:48
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1996509
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

An interesting and informative read. Should really make us stop and think.

What would war with China look like for Australia? Part 1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-20/what-would-war-with-china-look-like-for-australia-part-1/101328632

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 15:23:26
From: Cymek
ID: 1996510
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


An interesting and informative read. Should really make us stop and think.

What would war with China look like for Australia? Part 1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-20/what-would-war-with-china-look-like-for-australia-part-1/101328632

I read that, worrying outcomes no matter how its goes.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 15:55:51
From: buffy
ID: 1996514
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

My sister has found GIGadgets. And now I may be a while. Here is a series of building demolitions.

https://www.facebook.com/GIGadgets.Fans/videos/1929973697176140

And the front page. All sorts of interesting stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/GIGadgets.Fans

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 15:59:06
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996515
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

well, I’ve survived that ordeal, have togo back and do the oter side next week. They said that it can take from a few days to a month to have any effect, if it works.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 15:59:07
From: buffy
ID: 1996516
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

This one is the one that caught my sister’s eye.

https://www.facebook.com/GIGadgets.Fans/videos/506411848313011

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:00:04
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996517
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


well, I’ve survived that ordeal, have togo back and do the oter side next week. They said that it can take from a few days to a month to have any effect, if it works.

*fingers crossed.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:13:16
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996518
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I had company this morning when I picked the lettuce. This little fellow hopped onto my hand. Initially I went to flick him off, not knowing what had landed on me. Then he turned into quite a camera tart. I had to carry him inside to get my camera. He just clung onto my hand. Then we went outside for the good light and he posed.

….

It’s a Ewing’s tree frog I think.

It’s a cutie,

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:18:21
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996519
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

c1920 Vintage Antique Oscar Schmidt Autoharp/Zither (Fretless Mandolin) Dark Wood – beautiful sound
A$250 Condition Used – good

This is a vintage Oscar Schmidt Fretless Mandolin (Autoharp/Zither) with 5 chords, 25 melody strings, and 45 strings in all. The serial number (5012) dates this instrument to circa 1920.

It has a beautiful sound and is very playable. It comes with a tuning key.

Collect Lindisfarne

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:20:06
From: Woodie
ID: 1996520
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


An interesting and informative read. Should really make us stop and think.

What would war with China look like for Australia? Part 1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-20/what-would-war-with-china-look-like-for-australia-part-1/101328632

Probably nothing like anyone says it would.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:20:31
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996521
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


dv said:

Tamb said:

More puzzling is the highest road in Qld. It went from 1143m to 1162m


So is it because they built a new road?


Same corner, slightly reshaped bit not 19m worth.

maybe the original measurement was out?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:27:46
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996522
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

BACK and punch-biopsied, stitched and vaccinated.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:28:05
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996523
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


c1920 Vintage Antique Oscar Schmidt Autoharp/Zither (Fretless Mandolin) Dark Wood – beautiful sound
A$250 Condition Used – good

This is a vintage Oscar Schmidt Fretless Mandolin (Autoharp/Zither) with 5 chords, 25 melody strings, and 45 strings in all. The serial number (5012) dates this instrument to circa 1920.

It has a beautiful sound and is very playable. It comes with a tuning key.

Collect Lindisfarne

That’s a nice example.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:28:44
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996524
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


well, I’ve survived that ordeal, have togo back and do the oter side next week. They said that it can take from a few days to a month to have any effect, if it works.

Goodo, keep us posted.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:29:12
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996525
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Ross sister brought me some more lovely blooms from her garden, I’ll take a snap.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:29:26
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1996526
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Togo, a West African nation on the Gulf of Guinea, is known for its palm-lined beaches and hilltop villages. Koutammakou, inhabited by the Batammariba people, is a traditional settlement of fortresslike clay huts dating to the 17th century. In the capital, Lomé, are the multistory Grand Marché bazaar and the Fetish Market, offering traditional talismans and remedies relating to the vodun (voodoo) religion.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:31:36
From: Woodie
ID: 1996527
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


BACK and punch-biopsied, stitched and vaccinated.

Sounds like something a vivisectionist would do.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:32:08
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996528
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

c1920 Vintage Antique Oscar Schmidt Autoharp/Zither (Fretless Mandolin) Dark Wood – beautiful sound
A$250 Condition Used – good

This is a vintage Oscar Schmidt Fretless Mandolin (Autoharp/Zither) with 5 chords, 25 melody strings, and 45 strings in all. The serial number (5012) dates this instrument to circa 1920.

It has a beautiful sound and is very playable. It comes with a tuning key.

Collect Lindisfarne

That’s a nice example.

Looks nice.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:32:31
From: Woodie
ID: 1996529
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


well, I’ve survived that ordeal, have togo back and do the oter side next week. They said that it can take from a few days to a month to have any effect, if it works.

What was the diagnosis again??

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:33:10
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996530
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Bubblecar said:

BACK and punch-biopsied, stitched and vaccinated.

Sounds like something a vivisectionist would do.

:)
Stuck with needles.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:33:58
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996531
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


roughbarked said:

well, I’ve survived that ordeal, have togo back and do the oter side next week. They said that it can take from a few days to a month to have any effect, if it works.

What was the diagnosis again??

Swollen neuroaminal stenoses.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:34:07
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1996532
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


roughbarked said:

well, I’ve survived that ordeal, have togo back and do the oter side next week. They said that it can take from a few days to a month to have any effect, if it works.

What was the diagnosis again??

PITA.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:34:29
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1996533
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


Togo, a West African nation on the Gulf of Guinea, is known for its palm-lined beaches and hilltop villages. Koutammakou, inhabited by the Batammariba people, is a traditional settlement of fortresslike clay huts dating to the 17th century. In the capital, Lomé, are the multistory Grand Marché bazaar and the Fetish Market, offering traditional talismans and remedies relating to the vodun (voodoo) religion.

Going on a holiday SCIENCE?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:37:04
From: Woodie
ID: 1996534
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Woodie said:

roughbarked said:

well, I’ve survived that ordeal, have togo back and do the oter side next week. They said that it can take from a few days to a month to have any effect, if it works.

What was the diagnosis again??

Swollen neuroaminal stenoses.

Ah yes…… now I remember. Dowager’s Hump. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:47:57
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996536
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Woodie said:

roughbarked said:

well, I’ve survived that ordeal, have togo back and do the oter side next week. They said that it can take from a few days to a month to have any effect, if it works.

What was the diagnosis again??

PITA.

PITN. Do keep up. ;)

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 16:49:58
From: Cymek
ID: 1996537
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


PermeateFree said:

An interesting and informative read. Should really make us stop and think.

What would war with China look like for Australia? Part 1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-20/what-would-war-with-china-look-like-for-australia-part-1/101328632

Probably nothing like anyone says it would.

The USA are likely worried as perhaps they aren’t up to the task of taking on an equally equipped (if not better) enemy on its own territory.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 17:00:38
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996538
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Sister also brought me some more fresh-picked beans and zucchinis. One of the latter will go in tonight’s kedgeree.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 17:00:45
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996539
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Woodie said:

PermeateFree said:

An interesting and informative read. Should really make us stop and think.

What would war with China look like for Australia? Part 1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-20/what-would-war-with-china-look-like-for-australia-part-1/101328632

Probably nothing like anyone says it would.

The USA are likely worried as perhaps they aren’t up to the task of taking on an equally equipped (if not better) enemy on its own territory.

Particularly after they have sent quite a large amount of their weapons stock to Ukraine.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 17:18:02
From: transition
ID: 1996541
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dinner will be macaroni, tomato sauce and plenty cheese

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 17:22:42
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996542
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


dinner will be macaroni, tomato sauce and plenty cheese

I’ve got a small piece of corned beef on.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 17:27:30
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996543
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News
1 h ·
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy gives an update on the areas of heaviest fighting, while Russia warns France that Moscow still remembers the fate of Napoleon Bonaparte as it accuses French President Emmanuel Macron of duplicitous diplomacy.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 17:33:37
From: Cymek
ID: 1996545
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Cymek said:

Woodie said:

Probably nothing like anyone says it would.

The USA are likely worried as perhaps they aren’t up to the task of taking on an equally equipped (if not better) enemy on its own territory.

Particularly after they have sent quite a large amount of their weapons stock to Ukraine.

You wonder with wars why no one breaks out the alien based tech weapons to get a huge advantage

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 17:35:31
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1996547
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

well, I’ve survived that ordeal, have togo back and do the oter side next week. They said that it can take from a few days to a month to have any effect, if it works.

Togo, a West African nation on the Gulf of Guinea, is known for its palm-lined beaches and hilltop villages. Koutammakou, inhabited by the Batammariba people, is a traditional settlement of fortresslike clay huts dating to the 17th century. In the capital, Lomé, are the multistory Grand Marché bazaar and the Fetish Market, offering traditional talismans and remedies relating to the vodun (voodoo) religion.

Going on a holiday SCIENCE?

we’re right here on the pedantry forum

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 17:37:17
From: buffy
ID: 1996550
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Food report. Mr buffy is cook. He is going to grill us a couple of small pork chops each. I have supplied a fresh iceberg lettuce from the garden this morning, and I just found 5 brown berry tomatoes ripe. I don’t know what else he will use. I opened a tin of beetroot for lunch for a sammich, so I guess some of that will go on the plate too.

timer’s just gone off…move the sprinklers.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 17:39:57
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996553
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Food report. Mr buffy is cook. He is going to grill us a couple of small pork chops each. I have supplied a fresh iceberg lettuce from the garden this morning, and I just found 5 brown berry tomatoes ripe. I don’t know what else he will use. I opened a tin of beetroot for lunch for a sammich, so I guess some of that will go on the plate too.

timer’s just gone off…move the sprinklers.

My kedgeree is nearly ready. Smoked cod baked in milk, flaked into the saucepan in which the onion, zucchini, peas and chopped buk choy for variety have been cooking in butter, olive oil, white wine, curry powder etc. To be served with basmati rice.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 17:41:23
From: ms spock
ID: 1996554
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy’s frog was a super star! You could have made a motza using that frog as talent.

Hope both roughbarked and Mr Car get good results.

Tá an oiread sin leithscéal agam do gach duine anseo le cailliúint Sibeen!
I am so sorry for everyone here with the loss of Sibeen!

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 17:45:11
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996557
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


buffy said:

Food report. Mr buffy is cook. He is going to grill us a couple of small pork chops each. I have supplied a fresh iceberg lettuce from the garden this morning, and I just found 5 brown berry tomatoes ripe. I don’t know what else he will use. I opened a tin of beetroot for lunch for a sammich, so I guess some of that will go on the plate too.

timer’s just gone off…move the sprinklers.

My kedgeree is nearly ready. Smoked cod baked in milk, flaked into the saucepan in which the onion, zucchini, peas and chopped buk choy for variety have been cooking in butter, olive oil, white wine, curry powder etc. To be served with basmati rice.

Damn, forgot the boiled eggs :/

Never mind, it’ll be a huge batch, I can boil some eggs for the second serving later.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 17:46:04
From: ms spock
ID: 1996558
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


roughbarked said:

Cymek said:

The USA are likely worried as perhaps they aren’t up to the task of taking on an equally equipped (if not better) enemy on its own territory.

Particularly after they have sent quite a large amount of their weapons stock to Ukraine.

You wonder with wars why no one breaks out the alien based tech weapons to get a huge advantage

I think they haven’t watched enough Science Fiction movies so they don’t have the right script to read from.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 17:49:31
From: Langy
ID: 1996561
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Personally, I like my palmiers to taste of butterflies.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 17:50:04
From: ms spock
ID: 1996562
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


buffy said:

Food report. Mr buffy is cook. He is going to grill us a couple of small pork chops each. I have supplied a fresh iceberg lettuce from the garden this morning, and I just found 5 brown berry tomatoes ripe. I don’t know what else he will use. I opened a tin of beetroot for lunch for a sammich, so I guess some of that will go on the plate too.

timer’s just gone off…move the sprinklers.

My kedgeree is nearly ready. Smoked cod baked in milk, flaked into the saucepan in which the onion, zucchini, peas and chopped buk choy for variety have been cooking in butter, olive oil, white wine, curry powder etc. To be served with basmati rice.

Sounds delicious!

I see that badchap was here speaking some Irish Gaelic!

Loved the etymology and history of his handle and nick name.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 17:52:01
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996565
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Langy said:


Personally, I like my palmiers to taste of butterflies.


Actual butterfly flavour, that’s a rare treat.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 17:55:13
From: Langy
ID: 1996568
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Actual butterfly flavour, that’s a rare treat.

Indeed, classic butterfly flavour. As it should be.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 18:09:43
From: Michael V
ID: 1996585
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Cymek said:

roughbarked said:

Particularly after they have sent quite a large amount of their weapons stock to Ukraine.

You wonder with wars why no one breaks out the alien based tech weapons to get a huge advantage

I think they haven’t watched enough Science Fiction movies so they don’t have the right script to read from.

Remember Roswell‽‽‽‽‽

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 18:10:34
From: Michael V
ID: 1996589
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Langy said:


Personally, I like my palmiers to taste of butterflies.


Ha!

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 19:10:58
From: Michael V
ID: 1996631
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-20/nt-police-officers-injured-axe-thrown-at-car-daly-river/102000030

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 19:24:54
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1996632
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 19:35:41
From: Michael V
ID: 1996633
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


Jennifer, Jupiter, la la la la la.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 19:48:07
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996636
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

wayne might be losing it.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 19:48:54
From: wookiemeister
ID: 1996637
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


wayne might be losing it.



nice boobs

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 19:49:26
From: wookiemeister
ID: 1996638
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

wookiemeister said:


sarahs mum said:

wayne might be losing it.



nice boobs


did i just assume they are boobs ?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 19:52:33
From: wookiemeister
ID: 1996640
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.9news.com.au/national/highrisk-period-ahead-after-spate-of-drownings-across-australia/225958fe-957d-40e9-83ef-6607b1ec32c5

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 19:54:24
From: wookiemeister
ID: 1996641
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

it makes me wonder if these kinds warnings need to go out as SMS when the mobile system detects you in near water

i wonder if bush fire SMSs go out ?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 19:59:11
From: wookiemeister
ID: 1996642
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

But in the last two years, the country has experienced a spike in the number of drownings. Nationwide, 145 people drowned in the summer of 2021-2022, according to the Royal Life Saving Society of Australia, representing a 44 percent increase on the 10-year-average.3 days ago

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 20:06:51
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996643
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

wookiemeister said:


But in the last two years, the country has experienced a spike in the number of drownings. Nationwide, 145 people drowned in the summer of 2021-2022, according to the Royal Life Saving Society of Australia, representing a 44 percent increase on the 10-year-average.3 days ago

fucking statistics/

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 20:24:54
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1996644
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.royallifesaving.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/67687/RLS_NationalDrowningReport2022_SPG_LR.pdf

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 20:39:06
From: Kingy
ID: 1996645
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

We’re on standby for a bushfire nearby. It’s hot but there’s little wind so it’s not dangerous, but it will be hot and uncomfortable work for those on the fireground. I drove up the hill to get a look at the smoke plume, and it seems relatively tame. I checked on flightradar to see what air support is working it and spotted this one going round and round, and round, and round… and round… and round…

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 20:40:59
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996646
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


We’re on standby for a bushfire nearby. It’s hot but there’s little wind so it’s not dangerous, but it will be hot and uncomfortable work for those on the fireground. I drove up the hill to get a look at the smoke plume, and it seems relatively tame. I checked on flightradar to see what air support is working it and spotted this one going round and round, and round, and round… and round… and round…


dizzy.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 20:42:16
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996647
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

POV: You’re a ‘Star Wars’ Fan 🤓
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpPEZnsYAK4

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 20:53:11
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996648
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Steve Symonds
12 h ·
Today is the 21st anniversary of Australia’s first gold medal at the winter Olympics

Steven Bradbury – Gold Medal Race
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II9AHztlhPU

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 21:20:41
From: Kingy
ID: 1996650
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


We’re on standby for a bushfire nearby. It’s hot but there’s little wind so it’s not dangerous, but it will be hot and uncomfortable work for those on the fireground. I drove up the hill to get a look at the smoke plume, and it seems relatively tame. I checked on flightradar to see what air support is working it and spotted this one going round and round, and round, and round… and round… and round…


Why would someone decide on a 36 degree day to get on their ride-on mower at 1:30pm and try to mow a dry paddock in the middle of summer.

Fkn imbeciles like that should be fined. It’s not the first time. It’s not the second time. It’s about the tenth time that we have had bushfires started here by mowers.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 21:29:09
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1996651
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Kingy said:

We’re on standby for a bushfire nearby. It’s hot but there’s little wind so it’s not dangerous, but it will be hot and uncomfortable work for those on the fireground. I drove up the hill to get a look at the smoke plume, and it seems relatively tame. I checked on flightradar to see what air support is working it and spotted this one going round and round, and round, and round… and round… and round…


Why would someone decide on a 36 degree day to get on their ride-on mower at 1:30pm and try to mow a dry paddock in the middle of summer.

Fkn imbeciles like that should be fined. It’s not the first time. It’s not the second time. It’s about the tenth time that we have had bushfires started here by mowers.

Was he going round and round and round…………………and round on the mower?

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 21:31:55
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1996652
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Kingy said:

We’re on standby for a bushfire nearby. It’s hot but there’s little wind so it’s not dangerous, but it will be hot and uncomfortable work for those on the fireground. I drove up the hill to get a look at the smoke plume, and it seems relatively tame. I checked on flightradar to see what air support is working it and spotted this one going round and round, and round, and round… and round… and round…


Why would someone decide on a 36 degree day to get on their ride-on mower at 1:30pm and try to mow a dry paddock in the middle of summer.

Fkn imbeciles like that should be fined. It’s not the first time. It’s not the second time. It’s about the tenth time that we have had bushfires started here by mowers.

maybe they saw the long dry grass and thought, that could be a fire hazard I better mow that.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 21:32:11
From: transition
ID: 1996653
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Kingy said:

Kingy said:

We’re on standby for a bushfire nearby. It’s hot but there’s little wind so it’s not dangerous, but it will be hot and uncomfortable work for those on the fireground. I drove up the hill to get a look at the smoke plume, and it seems relatively tame. I checked on flightradar to see what air support is working it and spotted this one going round and round, and round, and round… and round… and round…


Why would someone decide on a 36 degree day to get on their ride-on mower at 1:30pm and try to mow a dry paddock in the middle of summer.

Fkn imbeciles like that should be fined. It’s not the first time. It’s not the second time. It’s about the tenth time that we have had bushfires started here by mowers.

Was he going round and round and round…………………and round on the mower?

funny

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 21:38:51
From: buffy
ID: 1996654
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Kingy said:

We’re on standby for a bushfire nearby. It’s hot but there’s little wind so it’s not dangerous, but it will be hot and uncomfortable work for those on the fireground. I drove up the hill to get a look at the smoke plume, and it seems relatively tame. I checked on flightradar to see what air support is working it and spotted this one going round and round, and round, and round… and round… and round…


Why would someone decide on a 36 degree day to get on their ride-on mower at 1:30pm and try to mow a dry paddock in the middle of summer.

Fkn imbeciles like that should be fined. It’s not the first time. It’s not the second time. It’s about the tenth time that we have had bushfires started here by mowers.

This is why our bush mowers are currently residing here at home. For the Summer. Can’t use them until the Autumn break. And we won’t lose them if there is a fire (they are insured to be there though). The tractor is in the shed at the block though.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 21:57:27
From: Kingy
ID: 1996660
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

It looks like they have got a firebreak around the head fire. The green crosses are DPaW trucks, the red&white ones are vollies. The blue one is a BWT, officially called a Bulk Water Tanker, unofficially called a Big White Truck.

It shows the classic teardrop shape with the origin on the right, and the Easterly wind blowing towards the left. If the BWT is near the head, then the fire is safe enough for it to be there. A few trucks have already left, so now Incident Control will be working out whose area it is so that the local crews have to nurse it overnight, and it will be downgraded shortly.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 22:50:46
From: party_pants
ID: 1996674
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Kingy said:

We’re on standby for a bushfire nearby. It’s hot but there’s little wind so it’s not dangerous, but it will be hot and uncomfortable work for those on the fireground. I drove up the hill to get a look at the smoke plume, and it seems relatively tame. I checked on flightradar to see what air support is working it and spotted this one going round and round, and round, and round… and round… and round…


Why would someone decide on a 36 degree day to get on their ride-on mower at 1:30pm and try to mow a dry paddock in the middle of summer.

Fkn imbeciles like that should be fined. It’s not the first time. It’s not the second time. It’s about the tenth time that we have had bushfires started here by mowers.

Good thing there isn’t a strong wind tonight, either westerly or easterly.

Still 30C and calm here. Quite uncomfortable. No respite outside because of no breeze. So I am inside with the fan cranked full bore.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/02/2023 23:04:30
From: transition
ID: 1996675
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

watering, up every ten minutes moving the hose, be a few more hours yet

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 06:01:26
From: buffy
ID: 1996703
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 13 degrees and dark. There is a fine misty “rain” happening. Just enough to slightly wet the leaves and grass, I suspect. We are forecast a partly cloudy 26 and then tomorrow we head back into the thirties for a few days.

It’s Bakery Breakfast day.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 06:15:48
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996704
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning. Currently 21.5 °C, heading for 37.
The predawn glow is growing bigger.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 06:38:07
From: buffy
ID: 1996705
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I like our cooler nights for sleeping, but it’s not doing a lot to make the tomatoes ripen. We et the first 5 Brown Berry ones for the season last night. I’ve got other varieties paling, but not reddening yet. And not an abundance. But I have learnt to consider them an Autumn fruit around here, so another 3 months to go for them yet.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 06:39:33
From: buffy
ID: 1996706
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Still rumbling on.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-21/magnitude-6-3-earthquake-strikes-tuerkiye-syria-border-region/102001510

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 06:41:20
From: roughbarked
ID: 1996707
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I like our cooler nights for sleeping, but it’s not doing a lot to make the tomatoes ripen. We et the first 5 Brown Berry ones for the season last night. I’ve got other varieties paling, but not reddening yet. And not an abundance. But I have learnt to consider them an Autumn fruit around here, so another 3 months to go for them yet.

Yes. If you do use cool growing varieties, they do go longer.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 07:07:57
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1996714
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

so

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-19/electric-vehicles-evs-technology-cars-taxes-victoria/101985392

why not just apply the same tax to petroleum consumers as well

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 07:10:18
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996715
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

so

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-19/electric-vehicles-evs-technology-cars-taxes-victoria/101985392

why not just apply the same tax to petroleum consumers as well

already taxes on petrol.

read an article tother day about a Victorian man who was paying taxes to Victoria for touring in his EV in Tasmania.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 07:10:43
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996716
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

‘Incredibly intelligent, highly elusive’: US faces new threat from Canadian ‘super pig’

Northern states on alert for invasion of cross-bred pig that threatens flora and fauna – and is difficult to stop

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/feb/20/us-threat-canada-super-pig-boar

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 07:14:39
From: ms spock
ID: 1996717
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning earthlings…

Off for a walk.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 07:15:23
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1996718
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


SCIENCE said:

so

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-19/electric-vehicles-evs-technology-cars-taxes-victoria/101985392

why not just apply the same tax to petroleum consumers as well

already taxes on petrol.

read an article tother day about a Victorian man who was paying taxes to Victoria for touring in his EV in Tasmania.

yes this is the article but we’re just suggesting that if environmental risk is growing then increasing tax on a cause alongside tax on electric vehicles would be reasonable

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 07:17:33
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996720
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


sarahs mum said:

SCIENCE said:

so

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-19/electric-vehicles-evs-technology-cars-taxes-victoria/101985392

why not just apply the same tax to petroleum consumers as well

already taxes on petrol.

read an article tother day about a Victorian man who was paying taxes to Victoria for touring in his EV in Tasmania.

yes this is the article but we’re just suggesting that if environmental risk is growing then increasing tax on a cause alongside tax on electric vehicles would be reasonable

but what about lindsay fox?

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 07:19:30
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1996723
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


sarahs mum said:

SCIENCE said:

so

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-19/electric-vehicles-evs-technology-cars-taxes-victoria/101985392

why not just apply the same tax to petroleum consumers as well

already taxes on petrol.

read an article tother day about a Victorian man who was paying taxes to Victoria for touring in his EV in Tasmania.

yes this is the article but we’re just suggesting that if environmental risk is growing then increasing tax on a cause alongside tax on electric vehicles would be reasonable

Indeed, it would be even more reasonable to remove the tax on electric vehicles and replace that income (and more) with a tax on all things that emit GHG’s.

I wonder why no-one ever thought of that.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 07:19:30
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1996724
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


sarahs mum said:

SCIENCE said:

so

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-19/electric-vehicles-evs-technology-cars-taxes-victoria/101985392

why not just apply the same tax to petroleum consumers as well

already taxes on petrol.

read an article tother day about a Victorian man who was paying taxes to Victoria for touring in his EV in Tasmania.

yes this is the article but we’re just suggesting that if environmental risk is growing then increasing tax on a cause alongside tax on electric vehicles would be reasonable

Indeed, it would be even more reasonable to remove the tax on electric vehicles and replace that income (and more) with a tax on all things that emit GHG’s.

I wonder why no-one ever thought of that.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 07:20:21
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1996726
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:

SCIENCE said:

sarahs mum said:

already taxes on petrol.

read an article tother day about a Victorian man who was paying taxes to Victoria for touring in his EV in Tasmania.

yes this is the article but we’re just suggesting that if environmental risk is growing then increasing tax on a cause alongside tax on electric vehicles would be reasonable

but what about lindsay fox?

just pass the cost on, as customers we’re more than happy to be charged for the costs we’re responsible for rather than smashed with crude interest rate demand controls over a supply problem

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 07:23:32
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1996727
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:

SCIENCE said:

sarahs mum said:

already taxes on petrol.

read an article tother day about a Victorian man who was paying taxes to Victoria for touring in his EV in Tasmania.

yes this is the article but we’re just suggesting that if environmental risk is growing then increasing tax on a cause alongside tax on electric vehicles would be reasonable

Indeed, it would be even more reasonable to remove the tax on electric vehicles and replace that income (and more) with a tax on all things that emit GHG’s.

I wonder why no-one ever thought of that.

maybe but their argument was that

Marion Terrill is the head of transport and cities at the Grattan Institute. She said whatever the High Court decided in this case, it was clear new road taxes would be needed to manage the future of electric cars. “Even though EVs don’t cause carbon emissions, they still cause accidents, as well as congestion, and still contribute to the kind of hogging of public space associated with cars,” she said.

which simply justified our point, apply the tax to distance or time on roads for all vehicles

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 07:29:55
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1996729
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

! well, why not, we

“Why on earth would you compromise a potable water source in Australia, the world’s driest habitable continent?” Flynn MP Colin Boyce asked.

mean you could just get a new prize for being the wettest uninhabitable continent ¡

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 08:12:01
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996733
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Day after my fifth vaccine (third Pfizer), feeling just a little sub par.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 08:38:05
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1996734
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

SCIENCE said:

yes this is the article but we’re just suggesting that if environmental risk is growing then increasing tax on a cause alongside tax on electric vehicles would be reasonable

Indeed, it would be even more reasonable to remove the tax on electric vehicles and replace that income (and more) with a tax on all things that emit GHG’s.

I wonder why no-one ever thought of that.

maybe but their argument was that

Marion Terrill is the head of transport and cities at the Grattan Institute. She said whatever the High Court decided in this case, it was clear new road taxes would be needed to manage the future of electric cars. “Even though EVs don’t cause carbon emissions, they still cause accidents, as well as congestion, and still contribute to the kind of hogging of public space associated with cars,” she said.

which simply justified our point, apply the tax to distance or time on roads for all vehicles

OK, as long as fossil fueled cars have an additional carbon tax on top of that.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 08:45:33
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996735
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Breakfast: kedgeree on toast with a fried egg on top.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 09:36:47
From: buffy
ID: 1996739
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Question from Breakfast Friend. He is reading some of the Boney books (written 1929 to 1964). They keep sitting down to drink tea and eat brownies. We have been trying to sort out brownies in Australia, as we thought they were an American thing (which wikipedia confirms) and none of us knew of them in our childhoods in the 1960s. And we thought cocoa was pretty much a luxury product and unlikely to be widely used. I’ve had a look at my antique cookbooks and can’t find any mention of brownies. A 1970s Jean Browning book does have brownie slice.

Any comments? Were brownies a common outback snack in the 1930s/40s?

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 10:02:41
From: Michael V
ID: 1996740
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Question from Breakfast Friend. He is reading some of the Boney books (written 1929 to 1964). They keep sitting down to drink tea and eat brownies. We have been trying to sort out brownies in Australia, as we thought they were an American thing (which wikipedia confirms) and none of us knew of them in our childhoods in the 1960s. And we thought cocoa was pretty much a luxury product and unlikely to be widely used. I’ve had a look at my antique cookbooks and can’t find any mention of brownies. A 1970s Jean Browning book does have brownie slice.

Any comments? Were brownies a common outback snack in the 1930s/40s?

No idea, sorry.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 10:06:19
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996741
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Question from Breakfast Friend. He is reading some of the Boney books (written 1929 to 1964). They keep sitting down to drink tea and eat brownies. We have been trying to sort out brownies in Australia, as we thought they were an American thing (which wikipedia confirms) and none of us knew of them in our childhoods in the 1960s. And we thought cocoa was pretty much a luxury product and unlikely to be widely used. I’ve had a look at my antique cookbooks and can’t find any mention of brownies. A 1970s Jean Browning book does have brownie slice.

Any comments? Were brownies a common outback snack in the 1930s/40s?

Brownies are indeed a traditional “CWA cookbook” type of Aussie fare, but they weren’t necessarily a chocolatey thing in the past.

>My grandmother recently gave me her mother’s recipe for brownie. Now this is brownie not as most of the world today knows brownie, (a chocolatey, decadent dense slab.) This is brownie that was born out of two world wars and one great depression. A time when making do and frugality skipped hand in hand and landed with a plop on your kitchen table top.

During this period, sugar was readily available, locally grown sultanas were in abundance and a simple slab of this would easily fill up hungry bellies. My grandmother in the 1960’s did the same thing with her children, reducing the sugar somewhat (it’s achingly sweet) and filling my dad’s childhood bottomless belly along with that of his siblings. I remember eating great squares of it when I would go and visit. The ting of the metallic cake tin as eager hands would cut just a little more.

https://cityhippyfarmgirl.com/2012/09/06/old-fashioned-brownie/

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 10:08:26
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1996742
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Question from Breakfast Friend. He is reading some of the Boney books (written 1929 to 1964). They keep sitting down to drink tea and eat brownies. We have been trying to sort out brownies in Australia, as we thought they were an American thing (which wikipedia confirms) and none of us knew of them in our childhoods in the 1960s. And we thought cocoa was pretty much a luxury product and unlikely to be widely used. I’ve had a look at my antique cookbooks and can’t find any mention of brownies. A 1970s Jean Browning book does have brownie slice.

Any comments? Were brownies a common outback snack in the 1930s/40s?

Never an Aus thing as far as I know.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 10:09:30
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1996743
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Question from Breakfast Friend. He is reading some of the Boney books (written 1929 to 1964). They keep sitting down to drink tea and eat brownies. We have been trying to sort out brownies in Australia, as we thought they were an American thing (which wikipedia confirms) and none of us knew of them in our childhoods in the 1960s. And we thought cocoa was pretty much a luxury product and unlikely to be widely used. I’ve had a look at my antique cookbooks and can’t find any mention of brownies. A 1970s Jean Browning book does have brownie slice.

Any comments? Were brownies a common outback snack in the 1930s/40s?

I don’t know anything about Australian brownies, but growing up in England in the 50’s/60’s I don’t recall a cup of cocoa at night as being regarded as anything luxurious.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 10:13:21
From: ms spock
ID: 1996746
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Day after my fifth vaccine (third Pfizer), feeling just a little sub par.

Glad to read it Mr Car.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 10:14:00
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1996747
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


buffy said:

Question from Breakfast Friend. He is reading some of the Boney books (written 1929 to 1964). They keep sitting down to drink tea and eat brownies. We have been trying to sort out brownies in Australia, as we thought they were an American thing (which wikipedia confirms) and none of us knew of them in our childhoods in the 1960s. And we thought cocoa was pretty much a luxury product and unlikely to be widely used. I’ve had a look at my antique cookbooks and can’t find any mention of brownies. A 1970s Jean Browning book does have brownie slice.

Any comments? Were brownies a common outback snack in the 1930s/40s?

I don’t know anything about Australian brownies, but growing up in England in the 50’s/60’s I don’t recall a cup of cocoa at night as being regarded as anything luxurious.

clears throat and looks at The Four Yorkshiremen script…

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 10:16:11
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996748
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


buffy said:

Question from Breakfast Friend. He is reading some of the Boney books (written 1929 to 1964). They keep sitting down to drink tea and eat brownies. We have been trying to sort out brownies in Australia, as we thought they were an American thing (which wikipedia confirms) and none of us knew of them in our childhoods in the 1960s. And we thought cocoa was pretty much a luxury product and unlikely to be widely used. I’ve had a look at my antique cookbooks and can’t find any mention of brownies. A 1970s Jean Browning book does have brownie slice.

Any comments? Were brownies a common outback snack in the 1930s/40s?

I don’t know anything about Australian brownies, but growing up in England in the 50’s/60’s I don’t recall a cup of cocoa at night as being regarded as anything luxurious.

Cocoa was almost as common a drink as tea and coffee, sold in every corner shop.

Australian Women’s Weekly ad, 1948.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 10:17:38
From: ms spock
ID: 1996749
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Question from Breakfast Friend. He is reading some of the Boney books (written 1929 to 1964). They keep sitting down to drink tea and eat brownies. We have been trying to sort out brownies in Australia, as we thought they were an American thing (which wikipedia confirms) and none of us knew of them in our childhoods in the 1960s. And we thought cocoa was pretty much a luxury product and unlikely to be widely used. I’ve had a look at my antique cookbooks and can’t find any mention of brownies. A 1970s Jean Browning book does have brownie slice.

Any comments? Were brownies a common outback snack in the 1930s/40s?

I don’t know but this might be of interest?

1930s Australian Brownies Recipe – Old Cookbook Show

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 10:20:10
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996751
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

buffy said:

Question from Breakfast Friend. He is reading some of the Boney books (written 1929 to 1964). They keep sitting down to drink tea and eat brownies. We have been trying to sort out brownies in Australia, as we thought they were an American thing (which wikipedia confirms) and none of us knew of them in our childhoods in the 1960s. And we thought cocoa was pretty much a luxury product and unlikely to be widely used. I’ve had a look at my antique cookbooks and can’t find any mention of brownies. A 1970s Jean Browning book does have brownie slice.

Any comments? Were brownies a common outback snack in the 1930s/40s?

I don’t know anything about Australian brownies, but growing up in England in the 50’s/60’s I don’t recall a cup of cocoa at night as being regarded as anything luxurious.

Cocoa was almost as common a drink as tea and coffee, sold in every corner shop.

Australian Women’s Weekly ad, 1948.


In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if cocoa was much more commonplace in those days than it is today.

Can’t remember the last time I had a cup of cocoa.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 10:22:43
From: ms spock
ID: 1996753
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


buffy said:

Question from Breakfast Friend. He is reading some of the Boney books (written 1929 to 1964). They keep sitting down to drink tea and eat brownies. We have been trying to sort out brownies in Australia, as we thought they were an American thing (which wikipedia confirms) and none of us knew of them in our childhoods in the 1960s. And we thought cocoa was pretty much a luxury product and unlikely to be widely used. I’ve had a look at my antique cookbooks and can’t find any mention of brownies. A 1970s Jean Browning book does have brownie slice.

Any comments? Were brownies a common outback snack in the 1930s/40s?

I don’t know but this might be of interest?

1930s Australian Brownies Recipe – Old Cookbook Show

No chocolate in the original brownie. These were called brownies and then there were chocolate brownies and then became just brownies with chocolate with the original recipe being lost to time.

42,997 views 31 Jul 2022 #GlenAndFriendsCooking #LeGourmetTV 1930s Australian Brownies – Glen And Friends Old Cookbook Show Today we’ll watch Glen Cook a bit of culinary history from Australia – this isn’t a community cookbook recipe, but rather a recipe from a cooking school. This is an early no-chocolate brownie recipe.

Brownies
Ingredients:
Two level cups self raising flour
½ cup sugar
¼ pound butter
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ pound dates
½ teaspoon carb soda
½ cup boiling water
1 egg

Method
Beat butter and sugar to a cream, add beaten egg, then flour, dates and nuts. Lastly, add the soda, dissolved in the hot water. Cook in cake containers in a moderately hot oven.

Way back in 2014 we did the Fannie Farmer’s 1896 Brownies: “ Fannie Farmer’s 1896 Brownies

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 10:25:02
From: Tamb
ID: 1996754
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


buffy said:

Question from Breakfast Friend. He is reading some of the Boney books (written 1929 to 1964). They keep sitting down to drink tea and eat brownies. We have been trying to sort out brownies in Australia, as we thought they were an American thing (which wikipedia confirms) and none of us knew of them in our childhoods in the 1960s. And we thought cocoa was pretty much a luxury product and unlikely to be widely used. I’ve had a look at my antique cookbooks and can’t find any mention of brownies. A 1970s Jean Browning book does have brownie slice.

Any comments? Were brownies a common outback snack in the 1930s/40s?

I don’t know but this might be of interest?

1930s Australian Brownies Recipe – Old Cookbook Show


One rank of Girl Guides was the Brownie.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 10:51:43
From: buffy
ID: 1996758
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


buffy said:

Question from Breakfast Friend. He is reading some of the Boney books (written 1929 to 1964). They keep sitting down to drink tea and eat brownies. We have been trying to sort out brownies in Australia, as we thought they were an American thing (which wikipedia confirms) and none of us knew of them in our childhoods in the 1960s. And we thought cocoa was pretty much a luxury product and unlikely to be widely used. I’ve had a look at my antique cookbooks and can’t find any mention of brownies. A 1970s Jean Browning book does have brownie slice.

Any comments? Were brownies a common outback snack in the 1930s/40s?

I don’t know anything about Australian brownies, but growing up in England in the 50’s/60’s I don’t recall a cup of cocoa at night as being regarded as anything luxurious.

You don’t use much cocoa for a cup of cocoa. You use a lot for cooking the sort of brownies we know about today.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 10:52:40
From: buffy
ID: 1996759
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

buffy said:

Question from Breakfast Friend. He is reading some of the Boney books (written 1929 to 1964). They keep sitting down to drink tea and eat brownies. We have been trying to sort out brownies in Australia, as we thought they were an American thing (which wikipedia confirms) and none of us knew of them in our childhoods in the 1960s. And we thought cocoa was pretty much a luxury product and unlikely to be widely used. I’ve had a look at my antique cookbooks and can’t find any mention of brownies. A 1970s Jean Browning book does have brownie slice.

Any comments? Were brownies a common outback snack in the 1930s/40s?

I don’t know anything about Australian brownies, but growing up in England in the 50’s/60’s I don’t recall a cup of cocoa at night as being regarded as anything luxurious.

Cocoa was almost as common a drink as tea and coffee, sold in every corner shop.

Australian Women’s Weekly ad, 1948.

We bought our cocoa from the delicatessen run by a European couple. Always Dutch cocoa. Never had Bournevilles.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 10:56:59
From: buffy
ID: 1996760
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Thank you everyone.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 10:58:48
From: Cymek
ID: 1996761
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 10:59:31
From: transition
ID: 1996762
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’s keeps movin’ the hose
water comes out it
for them plants ya knows
soil stays hydrated
or plants die ‘em no grow

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 11:02:52
From: Michael V
ID: 1996763
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Hot chocolate, Drinking Chocolate.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 11:08:23
From: transition
ID: 1996764
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

lots honeyeaters out there, just comes through the yard for drinkies

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 11:09:42
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996765
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


lots honeyeaters out there, just comes through the yard for drinkies

Handsome livery.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 11:37:09
From: Michael V
ID: 1996771
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Happy birthday, kii.

:)

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 11:37:58
From: Tamb
ID: 1996772
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Happy birthday, kii.

:)

:)

:}

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 11:48:45
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996774
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Michael V said:

Happy birthday, kii.

:)

:)

:}

+1

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 11:58:36
From: transition
ID: 1996775
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kettle on the flame

I finished watering until later, late, evaporation monsters starting stalking me just now, conspiring are the sun, the dry air and wind, not encouraging them

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 12:09:55
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1996779
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Tamb said:

Michael V said:

Happy birthday, kii.

:)

:)

:}

+1

And one more.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 12:14:49
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1996781
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Bubblecar said:

Tamb said:

:}

+1

And one more.


Add another happy birthday wish.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 12:28:54
From: kii
ID: 1996786
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

Bubblecar said:

+1

And one more.


Add another happy birthday wish.

thanks dudes

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 12:31:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996788
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Lunch: freshly tossed green salad + lemon vinaigrette, served with some dead brisling sardines + olive pane di casa.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 12:56:06
From: buffy
ID: 1996795
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Hot chocolate, Drinking Chocolate.

Ooh, no. Cocoa and your own amount of sugar. The made up drinking chocolate powder tends to be waaaay too sweet.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 12:59:30
From: buffy
ID: 1996797
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Lunch report: Ham and cheese sammich. Large glass of cold Milo. I et a lamb with garlic and potato pie for breakfast. Might have fish and chips for tea in Hamilton after archery. Or I might just nip into the IGA for some pasta salad. I’ll think about that later.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 13:11:07
From: buffy
ID: 1996798
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-21/hospitality-staffing-shortages-in-port-fairy-businesses-sell-up/101999042

I have a couple of observations to add to this story. Port Fairy has always been a holiday town. I know of a lot of older folk who have retired to Port Fairy over the last 20 or 30 years (remember, I worked with the older folk in the district). So I suspect saying up to 50% of houses are holiday houses may well be a lower percentage than it was in the 50s and 60s. There are a lot more hospitality venues there than when we came here 40 years ago. So more staff are needed than before. I’m not sure, but I think in Earlier Times, quite a few of the teenagers who went there had holiday jobs there. I don’t know if that is still the case.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 13:44:39
From: Michael V
ID: 1996801
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Michael V said:

Hot chocolate, Drinking Chocolate.

Ooh, no. Cocoa and your own amount of sugar. The made up drinking chocolate powder tends to be waaaay too sweet.

I was quoting the old advertisement, not advocating…

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 13:46:15
From: Michael V
ID: 1996802
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-21/hospitality-staffing-shortages-in-port-fairy-businesses-sell-up/101999042

I have a couple of observations to add to this story. Port Fairy has always been a holiday town. I know of a lot of older folk who have retired to Port Fairy over the last 20 or 30 years (remember, I worked with the older folk in the district). So I suspect saying up to 50% of houses are holiday houses may well be a lower percentage than it was in the 50s and 60s. There are a lot more hospitality venues there than when we came here 40 years ago. So more staff are needed than before. I’m not sure, but I think in Earlier Times, quite a few of the teenagers who went there had holiday jobs there. I don’t know if that is still the case.

We suffer similar problems here, being a holiday hamlet.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 13:56:47
From: Michael V
ID: 1996804
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Huh.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-21/outback-community-fish-rain-sky-weather-event/102002588

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-05/raining-fish-in-outback-queensland-weather-phenomenon/12028868

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-11/wintons-mysterious-fishy-tale-amidst-soaking-rain-in-queensland/7239714

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 13:57:12
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996805
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Rare treat: a Weiss lute sonata played on baroque chromatic harp by Sylvain Blassel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmuraRjmmPw

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 14:33:56
From: transition
ID: 1996819
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Rare treat: a Weiss lute sonata played on baroque chromatic harp by Sylvain Blassel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmuraRjmmPw

listening that, quite different, long open strings, sort of plucked soft

sort of relies on the room acoustics to give it some life, ambience whatever

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 14:44:19
From: Michael V
ID: 1996825
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-21/blue-whale-sighting-near-esperance-a-possible-first-cetrec-says/101999080

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 14:58:13
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996832
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Bubblecar said:

Rare treat: a Weiss lute sonata played on baroque chromatic harp by Sylvain Blassel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmuraRjmmPw

listening that, quite different, long open strings, sort of plucked soft

sort of relies on the room acoustics to give it some life, ambience whatever

Nice bit of reverb provided by the room or possibly added in the recording.

Very tricky to play on that early chromatic sans pedals. So many strings arranged in two streams and you have to pluck exactly the right ones at the right time.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 15:05:23
From: ms spock
ID: 1996839
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

buffy said:

Question from Breakfast Friend. He is reading some of the Boney books (written 1929 to 1964). They keep sitting down to drink tea and eat brownies. We have been trying to sort out brownies in Australia, as we thought they were an American thing (which wikipedia confirms) and none of us knew of them in our childhoods in the 1960s. And we thought cocoa was pretty much a luxury product and unlikely to be widely used. I’ve had a look at my antique cookbooks and can’t find any mention of brownies. A 1970s Jean Browning book does have brownie slice.

Any comments? Were brownies a common outback snack in the 1930s/40s?

I don’t know but this might be of interest?

1930s Australian Brownies Recipe – Old Cookbook Show


One rank of Girl Guides was the Brownie.

I was unaware of this important information Tamb! :)

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 15:08:53
From: Tamb
ID: 1996841
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

I don’t know but this might be of interest?

1930s Australian Brownies Recipe – Old Cookbook Show


One rank of Girl Guides was the Brownie.

I was unaware of this important information Tamb! :)

I am a fountain of useless information.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 15:10:06
From: Michael V
ID: 1996844
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

I don’t know but this might be of interest?

1930s Australian Brownies Recipe – Old Cookbook Show


One rank of Girl Guides was the Brownie.

I was unaware of this important information Tamb! :)

Similar to Cubs in the Scouts movement. For youngsters.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 15:27:28
From: ms spock
ID: 1996857
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


lots honeyeaters out there, just comes through the yard for drinkies

:)

I saw buffy’s set up and it reminded me of my venomous snaking handling days where I got folks to put multiple bowls of water along their fences and it stopped the snakes going in to drink from their cat and dog bowls of water.

I really want to do a good set up like yours and buffys!

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 15:38:51
From: btm
ID: 1996864
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Huh.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-21/outback-community-fish-rain-sky-weather-event/102002588

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-05/raining-fish-in-outback-queensland-weather-phenomenon/12028868

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-11/wintons-mysterious-fishy-tale-amidst-soaking-rain-in-queensland/7239714

I went to Italy a few years ago (I arrived at about 8.30 on midsummer night 1999); after a series of adventures I found myself disembarking from a train somewhere outside Rome (about two hours away by train, but I don’t know which direction, or where I was.) The train station was just a platform in the middle of nowhere, with tracks on either side, and a shack off to the side with a man operating points. He didn’t speak English, and I didn’t speak Italian, but he managed to tell me that the next train back to Rome wasn’t until 5 the next morning. There were no buildings around the “station”, just fields of corn and sunflowers, but there was an unsealed road on one side. I had to be in Rome by 7 the next morning, so went for a wander through the Italian countryside looking for a place to stay or some form of transport to take me to Rome, but without success; ultimately I decided to sleep on the platform (I had a soft leather suitcase that could double as a mattress in an emergency.)

As I was settling down to sleep, a major thunderstorm (the most violent they’d had in the area for some time, I was told later) broke: first lightning and thunder, then the rain started. As I was looking for shelter the first frogs started falling. Somehow, it was raining frogs, ranging in size from about the size of the nail on my little finger to about the size of the palm of my hand, with multiple different species. They were alive — they hopped away after they’d fallen. There were no buildings or trees they could have fallen from; they were falling from the sky.

I did some research after I got back to Australia; the most popular theory is that thunderstorms — which can have 100kt updraughts right beside 100kt downdraughts — can suck whole ponds up into the cloud, and the contents of the pond (or other water body) is sucked up with it. The frogs (or fish, in the case the ABC reported above) hang around in the sky until they’re dumped on the ground. Reports of raining fish are much more common that frogs, but there are reliable records of both from at least the middle ages.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 15:50:22
From: ms spock
ID: 1996866
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


Michael V said:

Huh.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-21/outback-community-fish-rain-sky-weather-event/102002588

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-05/raining-fish-in-outback-queensland-weather-phenomenon/12028868

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-11/wintons-mysterious-fishy-tale-amidst-soaking-rain-in-queensland/7239714

I went to Italy a few years ago (I arrived at about 8.30 on midsummer night 1999); after a series of adventures I found myself disembarking from a train somewhere outside Rome (about two hours away by train, but I don’t know which direction, or where I was.) The train station was just a platform in the middle of nowhere, with tracks on either side, and a shack off to the side with a man operating points. He didn’t speak English, and I didn’t speak Italian, but he managed to tell me that the next train back to Rome wasn’t until 5 the next morning. There were no buildings around the “station”, just fields of corn and sunflowers, but there was an unsealed road on one side. I had to be in Rome by 7 the next morning, so went for a wander through the Italian countryside looking for a place to stay or some form of transport to take me to Rome, but without success; ultimately I decided to sleep on the platform (I had a soft leather suitcase that could double as a mattress in an emergency.)

As I was settling down to sleep, a major thunderstorm (the most violent they’d had in the area for some time, I was told later) broke: first lightning and thunder, then the rain started. As I was looking for shelter the first frogs started falling. Somehow, it was raining frogs, ranging in size from about the size of the nail on my little finger to about the size of the palm of my hand, with multiple different species. They were alive — they hopped away after they’d fallen. There were no buildings or trees they could have fallen from; they were falling from the sky.

I did some research after I got back to Australia; the most popular theory is that thunderstorms — which can have 100kt updraughts right beside 100kt downdraughts — can suck whole ponds up into the cloud, and the contents of the pond (or other water body) is sucked up with it. The frogs (or fish, in the case the ABC reported above) hang around in the sky until they’re dumped on the ground. Reports of raining fish are much more common that frogs, but there are reliable records of both from at least the middle ages.

Go raibh maith agat! That is fascinating! Whole ponds being sucked up!

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 15:51:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996867
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


Michael V said:

Huh.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-21/outback-community-fish-rain-sky-weather-event/102002588

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-05/raining-fish-in-outback-queensland-weather-phenomenon/12028868

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-11/wintons-mysterious-fishy-tale-amidst-soaking-rain-in-queensland/7239714

I went to Italy a few years ago (I arrived at about 8.30 on midsummer night 1999); after a series of adventures I found myself disembarking from a train somewhere outside Rome (about two hours away by train, but I don’t know which direction, or where I was.) The train station was just a platform in the middle of nowhere, with tracks on either side, and a shack off to the side with a man operating points. He didn’t speak English, and I didn’t speak Italian, but he managed to tell me that the next train back to Rome wasn’t until 5 the next morning. There were no buildings around the “station”, just fields of corn and sunflowers, but there was an unsealed road on one side. I had to be in Rome by 7 the next morning, so went for a wander through the Italian countryside looking for a place to stay or some form of transport to take me to Rome, but without success; ultimately I decided to sleep on the platform (I had a soft leather suitcase that could double as a mattress in an emergency.)

As I was settling down to sleep, a major thunderstorm (the most violent they’d had in the area for some time, I was told later) broke: first lightning and thunder, then the rain started. As I was looking for shelter the first frogs started falling. Somehow, it was raining frogs, ranging in size from about the size of the nail on my little finger to about the size of the palm of my hand, with multiple different species. They were alive — they hopped away after they’d fallen. There were no buildings or trees they could have fallen from; they were falling from the sky.

I did some research after I got back to Australia; the most popular theory is that thunderstorms — which can have 100kt updraughts right beside 100kt downdraughts — can suck whole ponds up into the cloud, and the contents of the pond (or other water body) is sucked up with it. The frogs (or fish, in the case the ABC reported above) hang around in the sky until they’re dumped on the ground. Reports of raining fish are much more common that frogs, but there are reliable records of both from at least the middle ages.

Weird. Good to hear they lived to tell the tale.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 15:52:02
From: Michael V
ID: 1996868
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


Michael V said:

Huh.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-21/outback-community-fish-rain-sky-weather-event/102002588

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-05/raining-fish-in-outback-queensland-weather-phenomenon/12028868

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-11/wintons-mysterious-fishy-tale-amidst-soaking-rain-in-queensland/7239714

I went to Italy a few years ago (I arrived at about 8.30 on midsummer night 1999); after a series of adventures I found myself disembarking from a train somewhere outside Rome (about two hours away by train, but I don’t know which direction, or where I was.) The train station was just a platform in the middle of nowhere, with tracks on either side, and a shack off to the side with a man operating points. He didn’t speak English, and I didn’t speak Italian, but he managed to tell me that the next train back to Rome wasn’t until 5 the next morning. There were no buildings around the “station”, just fields of corn and sunflowers, but there was an unsealed road on one side. I had to be in Rome by 7 the next morning, so went for a wander through the Italian countryside looking for a place to stay or some form of transport to take me to Rome, but without success; ultimately I decided to sleep on the platform (I had a soft leather suitcase that could double as a mattress in an emergency.)

As I was settling down to sleep, a major thunderstorm (the most violent they’d had in the area for some time, I was told later) broke: first lightning and thunder, then the rain started. As I was looking for shelter the first frogs started falling. Somehow, it was raining frogs, ranging in size from about the size of the nail on my little finger to about the size of the palm of my hand, with multiple different species. They were alive — they hopped away after they’d fallen. There were no buildings or trees they could have fallen from; they were falling from the sky.

I did some research after I got back to Australia; the most popular theory is that thunderstorms — which can have 100kt updraughts right beside 100kt downdraughts — can suck whole ponds up into the cloud, and the contents of the pond (or other water body) is sucked up with it. The frogs (or fish, in the case the ABC reported above) hang around in the sky until they’re dumped on the ground. Reports of raining fish are much more common that frogs, but there are reliable records of both from at least the middle ages.

Interesting anecdote.

I’ve not ever seen it raining fish or frogs, nor cats and dogs.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 16:03:25
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1996872
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


btm said:

Michael V said:

Huh.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-21/outback-community-fish-rain-sky-weather-event/102002588

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-05/raining-fish-in-outback-queensland-weather-phenomenon/12028868

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-11/wintons-mysterious-fishy-tale-amidst-soaking-rain-in-queensland/7239714

I went to Italy a few years ago (I arrived at about 8.30 on midsummer night 1999); after a series of adventures I found myself disembarking from a train somewhere outside Rome (about two hours away by train, but I don’t know which direction, or where I was.) The train station was just a platform in the middle of nowhere, with tracks on either side, and a shack off to the side with a man operating points. He didn’t speak English, and I didn’t speak Italian, but he managed to tell me that the next train back to Rome wasn’t until 5 the next morning. There were no buildings around the “station”, just fields of corn and sunflowers, but there was an unsealed road on one side. I had to be in Rome by 7 the next morning, so went for a wander through the Italian countryside looking for a place to stay or some form of transport to take me to Rome, but without success; ultimately I decided to sleep on the platform (I had a soft leather suitcase that could double as a mattress in an emergency.)

As I was settling down to sleep, a major thunderstorm (the most violent they’d had in the area for some time, I was told later) broke: first lightning and thunder, then the rain started. As I was looking for shelter the first frogs started falling. Somehow, it was raining frogs, ranging in size from about the size of the nail on my little finger to about the size of the palm of my hand, with multiple different species. They were alive — they hopped away after they’d fallen. There were no buildings or trees they could have fallen from; they were falling from the sky.

I did some research after I got back to Australia; the most popular theory is that thunderstorms — which can have 100kt updraughts right beside 100kt downdraughts — can suck whole ponds up into the cloud, and the contents of the pond (or other water body) is sucked up with it. The frogs (or fish, in the case the ABC reported above) hang around in the sky until they’re dumped on the ground. Reports of raining fish are much more common that frogs, but there are reliable records of both from at least the middle ages.

Interesting anecdote.

I’ve not ever seen it raining fish or frogs, nor cats and dogs.

I’ve heard of hailing buses and trams.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 16:05:01
From: ms spock
ID: 1996875
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

One rank of Girl Guides was the Brownie.

I was unaware of this important information Tamb! :)

I am a fountain of useless information.

So am I! I think it is what brings together the forum family! We could win ALL the pub quizzes! ;)

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 16:12:41
From: Michael V
ID: 1996881
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Michael V said:

btm said:

I went to Italy a few years ago (I arrived at about 8.30 on midsummer night 1999); after a series of adventures I found myself disembarking from a train somewhere outside Rome (about two hours away by train, but I don’t know which direction, or where I was.) The train station was just a platform in the middle of nowhere, with tracks on either side, and a shack off to the side with a man operating points. He didn’t speak English, and I didn’t speak Italian, but he managed to tell me that the next train back to Rome wasn’t until 5 the next morning. There were no buildings around the “station”, just fields of corn and sunflowers, but there was an unsealed road on one side. I had to be in Rome by 7 the next morning, so went for a wander through the Italian countryside looking for a place to stay or some form of transport to take me to Rome, but without success; ultimately I decided to sleep on the platform (I had a soft leather suitcase that could double as a mattress in an emergency.)

As I was settling down to sleep, a major thunderstorm (the most violent they’d had in the area for some time, I was told later) broke: first lightning and thunder, then the rain started. As I was looking for shelter the first frogs started falling. Somehow, it was raining frogs, ranging in size from about the size of the nail on my little finger to about the size of the palm of my hand, with multiple different species. They were alive — they hopped away after they’d fallen. There were no buildings or trees they could have fallen from; they were falling from the sky.

I did some research after I got back to Australia; the most popular theory is that thunderstorms — which can have 100kt updraughts right beside 100kt downdraughts — can suck whole ponds up into the cloud, and the contents of the pond (or other water body) is sucked up with it. The frogs (or fish, in the case the ABC reported above) hang around in the sky until they’re dumped on the ground. Reports of raining fish are much more common that frogs, but there are reliable records of both from at least the middle ages.

Interesting anecdote.

I’ve not ever seen it raining fish or frogs, nor cats and dogs.

I’ve heard of hailing buses and trams.

And taxis too.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 16:16:24
From: Michael V
ID: 1996883
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Michael V said:

Interesting anecdote.

I’ve not ever seen it raining fish or frogs, nor cats and dogs.

I’ve heard of hailing buses and trams.

And taxis too.

:)

Oh, and Marys too.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 16:29:30
From: transition
ID: 1996884
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


transition said:

lots honeyeaters out there, just comes through the yard for drinkies

:)

I saw buffy’s set up and it reminded me of my venomous snaking handling days where I got folks to put multiple bowls of water along their fences and it stopped the snakes going in to drink from their cat and dog bowls of water.

I really want to do a good set up like yours and buffys!

that’s canine larry’s bath, but is a shallow bird bath next to it

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 16:31:33
From: transition
ID: 1996886
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2RIvJ1U7RE
EctoLife: The World’s First Artificial Womb Facility

for those that like the idea of factory babies^

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 16:44:47
From: Michael V
ID: 1996890
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

TIL about an organism I have neither seen nor read about before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostoc

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 16:50:08
From: transition
ID: 1996891
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


TIL about an organism I have neither seen nor read about before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostoc

reading that, cheers

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 16:53:20
From: Cymek
ID: 1996894
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


TIL about an organism I have neither seen nor read about before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostoc

Interesting organism it seems

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 16:59:58
From: Tamb
ID: 1996895
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Back from chemo. Wed, Thu, Fri to go.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 17:11:10
From: dv
ID: 1996900
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Michael V said:

TIL about an organism I have neither seen nor read about before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostoc

Interesting organism it seems

Tasty

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 17:15:08
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996902
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Cymek said:

Michael V said:

TIL about an organism I have neither seen nor read about before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostoc

Interesting organism it seems

Tasty

Very large nostoc pruniforme sphere (“mare’s egg”)

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 17:40:54
From: Michael V
ID: 1996906
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Cymek said:

Michael V said:

TIL about an organism I have neither seen nor read about before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostoc

Interesting organism it seems

Tasty

I wonder what they actually taste like.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 17:41:20
From: Michael V
ID: 1996907
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


dv said:

Cymek said:

Interesting organism it seems

Tasty

Very large nostoc pruniforme sphere (“mare’s egg”)

Gosh!

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 17:44:24
From: Cymek
ID: 1996908
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


dv said:

Cymek said:

Interesting organism it seems

Tasty

I wonder what they actually taste like.

Seaweed perhaps but with a squish

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 18:23:37
From: ms spock
ID: 1996920
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


ms spock said:

transition said:

lots honeyeaters out there, just comes through the yard for drinkies

:)

I saw buffy’s set up and it reminded me of my venomous snaking handling days where I got folks to put multiple bowls of water along their fences and it stopped the snakes going in to drink from their cat and dog bowls of water.

I really want to do a good set up like yours and buffys!

that’s canine larry’s bath, but is a shallow bird bath next to it

It’s good for everyone to have choices.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 18:28:54
From: wookiemeister
ID: 1996922
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-21/labor-stop-people-raiding-their-superannuation-tackle-tax-breaks/102000680

just use it to buy government bonds and use some of those trillions to completely pay off government debt

the government writes a law that no further borrowing can happen for the next 10 years

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 18:34:16
From: wookiemeister
ID: 1996923
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AEMO warns of NSW power gaps within three years, calls for ‘urgent’ investment in grid

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-21/nsw-facing-power-gaps-within-three-years-energy-grid/102002862

this was another reason i installed solar and battery system. i added another battery last year.

you can’t take 200-300,000 extra people every year without blackouts – unless you hit people with such high interest rates, taxes, rents, rates, power prices they just can’t afford using electrical power. maybe people will go back to simply using BBQs to cook their food. electrical power will be too expensive – well if you are centrelink you’ll be fine, it will only hurt people that work.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 18:35:35
From: ms spock
ID: 1996924
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2RIvJ1U7RE
EctoLife: The World’s First Artificial Womb Facility

for those that like the idea of factory babies^

That is really intense. It is a real thing? What about the connection the baby makes with the surrounding family/community? Would it change the range of emotions and attachment children would have with parents?

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 18:36:42
From: wookiemeister
ID: 1996925
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


transition said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2RIvJ1U7RE
EctoLife: The World’s First Artificial Womb Facility

for those that like the idea of factory babies^

That is really intense. It is a real thing? What about the connection the baby makes with the surrounding family/community? Would it change the range of emotions and attachment children would have with parents?


this sounds like a factory for making soldiers

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 18:38:30
From: wookiemeister
ID: 1996927
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

my god

imagine if you had a few thousand of me running around

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 18:42:33
From: ms spock
ID: 1996928
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

wookiemeister said:


ms spock said:

transition said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2RIvJ1U7RE
EctoLife: The World’s First Artificial Womb Facility

for those that like the idea of factory babies^

That is really intense. It is a real thing? What about the connection the baby makes with the surrounding family/community? Would it change the range of emotions and attachment children would have with parents?


this sounds like a factory for making soldiers

I am watching it and it is disturbing.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 18:46:34
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1996931
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


wookiemeister said:

ms spock said:

That is really intense. It is a real thing? What about the connection the baby makes with the surrounding family/community? Would it change the range of emotions and attachment children would have with parents?


this sounds like a factory for making soldiers

I am watching it and it is disturbing.

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-concept-artificial-womb-idUSL1N33C1L5

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 18:46:37
From: ms spock
ID: 1996932
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Back from chemo. Wed, Thu, Fri to go.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 18:48:32
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1996934
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Jellybean on her bestest behaviour at the vet. Note the blue bandage. Silly little Bean managed to get her dew claw at a right angle. Plus she had a vaccination too.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 18:51:12
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996935
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Jellybean on her bestest behaviour at the vet. Note the blue bandage. Silly little Bean managed to get her dew claw at a right angle. Plus she had a vaccination too.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 18:51:59
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996937
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Jellybean on her bestest behaviour at the vet. Note the blue bandage. Silly little Bean managed to get her dew claw at a right angle. Plus she had a vaccination too.

she’s a cutie.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 18:52:59
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996938
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Another fine snap of the day: Lajamanu child offering a fish that fell from the sky.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-21/outback-community-fish-rain-sky-weather-event/102002588

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 18:54:08
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1996941
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Another fine snap of the day: Lajamanu child offering a fish that fell from the sky.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-21/outback-community-fish-rain-sky-weather-event/102002588


LOL I look forward to reading about it in a future issue of Fortean Times. They just love raining fish stories.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 18:54:53
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1996942
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

one of sibeen’s daughters just posted on the SSSF page.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 19:02:33
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1996948
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I have the song Unholy by Sam Smith stuck in my head. I’ve been wondering what would replace the Hamilton songs…

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 19:11:20
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1996954
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


ms spock said:

wookiemeister said:

this sounds like a factory for making soldiers

I am watching it and it is disturbing.

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-concept-artificial-womb-idUSL1N33C1L5

Link

Facepalm showed me that as well, so I deleted the post.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 19:14:30
From: ms spock
ID: 1996957
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


dv said:

Cymek said:

Interesting organism it seems

Tasty

Very large nostoc pruniforme sphere (“mare’s egg”)

Iontach! (Amazing – the one Irish word that I do know!)

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 19:16:43
From: Michael V
ID: 1996959
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

We couldn’t go for a walk this morning because it was raining. It rained very heavily early afternoon, precluding that time. We got 1400 steps in this arvo above the beach. We had to walk there because the normal walking track would have become slippery, as it does with rain. It has many leaves on it, you see. Mrs V tackled a few stairs too. Three, then five, then five, then four. She did well.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 19:18:11
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996961
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


We couldn’t go for a walk this morning because it was raining. It rained very heavily early afternoon, precluding that time. We got 1400 steps in this arvo above the beach. We had to walk there because the normal walking track would have become slippery, as it does with rain. It has many leaves on it, you see. Mrs V tackled a few stairs too. Three, then five, then five, then four. She did well.

Goodo.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 19:19:29
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1996963
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Scoffed a ham and cheese omelette and now it’s time for a lay-me-down, which may well morph into my actual night’s sleep.

So I’ll brush my teeth first.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 19:24:43
From: Michael V
ID: 1996965
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Michael V said:

We couldn’t go for a walk this morning because it was raining. It rained very heavily early afternoon, precluding that time. We got 1400 steps in this arvo above the beach. We had to walk there because the normal walking track would have become slippery, as it does with rain. It has many leaves on it, you see. Mrs V tackled a few stairs too. Three, then five, then five, then four. She did well.

Goodo.

The top few of these stairs that go from town down to the beach.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 19:26:33
From: Michael V
ID: 1996967
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

Michael V said:

We couldn’t go for a walk this morning because it was raining. It rained very heavily early afternoon, precluding that time. We got 1400 steps in this arvo above the beach. We had to walk there because the normal walking track would have become slippery, as it does with rain. It has many leaves on it, you see. Mrs V tackled a few stairs too. Three, then five, then five, then four. She did well.

Goodo.

The top few of these stairs that go from town down to the beach.

(Forgot the photo.)

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 19:28:51
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1996968
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

Goodo.

The top few of these stairs that go from town down to the beach.

(Forgot the photo.)


Looks like a lovely place, and I’m glad that Mrs V is rapidly improving.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 19:46:53
From: ms spock
ID: 1996976
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Jellybean on her bestest behaviour at the vet. Note the blue bandage. Silly little Bean managed to get her dew claw at a right angle. Plus she had a vaccination too.

Cad madra gleoite! What a cute dog!

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 19:50:30
From: transition
ID: 1996979
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


wookiemeister said:

ms spock said:

That is really intense. It is a real thing? What about the connection the baby makes with the surrounding family/community? Would it change the range of emotions and attachment children would have with parents?


this sounds like a factory for making soldiers

I am watching it and it is disturbing.

I did suggest it for those that like the idea (italics added now) of factory babies

will biotech go there…

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 19:51:27
From: OCDC
ID: 1996981
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

On a happier note, since June I have gone from BMI 31 to 24 thanks to migraine keto.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 19:52:25
From: monkey skipper
ID: 1996982
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


On a happier note, since June I have gone from BMI 31 to 24 thanks to migraine keto.

Hey Alex, still enjoying being doctor?

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 19:55:38
From: OCDC
ID: 1996985
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

monkey skipper said:


OCDC said:

On a happier note, since June I have gone from BMI 31 to 24 thanks to migraine keto.

Hey Alex, still enjoying being doctor?

Still love doctoring but many times in the last few years have doubted whether my body can handle it. This year is probably my last test of whether I can cope with clinical medicine.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:01:13
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1996986
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


On a happier note, since June I have gone from BMI 31 to 24 thanks to migraine keto.

I’m impressed. Well done.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:02:16
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1996987
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


On a happier note, since June I have gone from BMI 31 to 24 thanks to migraine keto.

I’ve lost 3 kgs since the last time I weighed myself, dunno when that was. I’m trying IF. Mum having T2D puts me at a very high risk.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:03:31
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1996991
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


On a happier note, since June I have gone from BMI 31 to 24 thanks to migraine keto.

Well done!

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:04:22
From: ms spock
ID: 1996993
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Bubblecar said:

Another fine snap of the day: Lajamanu child offering a fish that fell from the sky.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-21/outback-community-fish-rain-sky-weather-event/102002588


LOL I look forward to reading about it in a future issue of Fortean Times. They just love raining fish stories.

***waves to DA***

Did you see buffy’s supermodel frog of this morning – vaguely related to raining fish and frogs.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:05:08
From: Brindabellas
ID: 1996995
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


On a happier note, since June I have gone from BMI 31 to 24 thanks to migraine keto.

Has it helped with the migraines?

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:05:26
From: OCDC
ID: 1996996
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


OCDC said:

On a happier note, since June I have gone from BMI 31 to 24 thanks to migraine keto.

I’ve lost 3 kgs since the last time I weighed myself, dunno when that was. I’m trying IF. Mum having T2D puts me at a very high risk.


Dad’s diabeetus was diagnosed when he had his stroke a few years ago, so with ply a lot of diabeetus on mum’s side and my TIA in 2020 I was not happy being the size I was. But nothing kept it off til this, and that’s only bc I still see a dietician to keep me accountable. But my normal HbA1c improved and my cholesterol and liver function improved too so I’m super happy.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:08:38
From: OCDC
ID: 1997003
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Brindabellas said:


OCDC said:

On a happier note, since June I have gone from BMI 31 to 24 thanks to migraine keto.

Has it helped with the migraines?

Something has. Is it A) keto or B) $2000 regular infusion or C) $200 tablets? Nobody knows. Still 24/7 headache, still frequent flares. But I’ve done 2.5 weeks of full time without sick leave and I don’t think I’ve done that for more than two years.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:11:02
From: buffy
ID: 1997007
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


transition said:

lots honeyeaters out there, just comes through the yard for drinkies

:)

I saw buffy’s set up and it reminded me of my venomous snaking handling days where I got folks to put multiple bowls of water along their fences and it stopped the snakes going in to drink from their cat and dog bowls of water.

I really want to do a good set up like yours and buffys!

I bought three stoneware dishes from KMart the other day (from the kitchenware section) and am setting up another threesome. I stood there deciding…all the same colour? Different colours? I bought different colours so I can grade them down from blue at the top, to grey to earthy. When it’s finished I’ll put up a picture. (Bargain! Quite decent sized bowls/dishes for $3.50 each. Mind you, if you go to the op shop you can often get fancy plattery things to use in the garden too)

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:15:27
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997008
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


Divine Angel said:

OCDC said:

On a happier note, since June I have gone from BMI 31 to 24 thanks to migraine keto.

I’ve lost 3 kgs since the last time I weighed myself, dunno when that was. I’m trying IF. Mum having T2D puts me at a very high risk.


Dad’s diabeetus was diagnosed when he had his stroke a few years ago, so with ply a lot of diabeetus on mum’s side and my TIA in 2020 I was not happy being the size I was. But nothing kept it off til this, and that’s only bc I still see a dietician to keep me accountable. But my normal HbA1c improved and my cholesterol and liver function improved too so I’m super happy.

Nice! My bloods look fine so I’ve not been worried. Couple of my friends have had gastric surgery so I thought about that. If IF doesn’t get me anywhere I’ll think about that again.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:17:29
From: OCDC
ID: 1997010
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


OCDC said:

Divine Angel said:

I’ve lost 3 kgs since the last time I weighed myself, dunno when that was. I’m trying IF. Mum having T2D puts me at a very high risk.


Dad’s diabeetus was diagnosed when he had his stroke a few years ago, so with ply a lot of diabeetus on mum’s side and my TIA in 2020 I was not happy being the size I was. But nothing kept it off til this, and that’s only bc I still see a dietician to keep me accountable. But my normal HbA1c improved and my cholesterol and liver function improved too so I’m super happy.

Nice! My bloods look fine so I’ve not been worried. Couple of my friends have had gastric surgery so I thought about that. If IF doesn’t get me anywhere I’ll think about that again.

Keto has not felt like a diet. I haven’t gone hungry. I stick to 30 grams of carbs and ignore calories. I am a huge fan. I’d recommend it over surgery even though we’ve seen how well surgery can go.

gone

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:17:46
From: buffy
ID: 1997011
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


btm said:

Michael V said:

Huh.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-21/outback-community-fish-rain-sky-weather-event/102002588

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-05/raining-fish-in-outback-queensland-weather-phenomenon/12028868

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-11/wintons-mysterious-fishy-tale-amidst-soaking-rain-in-queensland/7239714

I went to Italy a few years ago (I arrived at about 8.30 on midsummer night 1999); after a series of adventures I found myself disembarking from a train somewhere outside Rome (about two hours away by train, but I don’t know which direction, or where I was.) The train station was just a platform in the middle of nowhere, with tracks on either side, and a shack off to the side with a man operating points. He didn’t speak English, and I didn’t speak Italian, but he managed to tell me that the next train back to Rome wasn’t until 5 the next morning. There were no buildings around the “station”, just fields of corn and sunflowers, but there was an unsealed road on one side. I had to be in Rome by 7 the next morning, so went for a wander through the Italian countryside looking for a place to stay or some form of transport to take me to Rome, but without success; ultimately I decided to sleep on the platform (I had a soft leather suitcase that could double as a mattress in an emergency.)

As I was settling down to sleep, a major thunderstorm (the most violent they’d had in the area for some time, I was told later) broke: first lightning and thunder, then the rain started. As I was looking for shelter the first frogs started falling. Somehow, it was raining frogs, ranging in size from about the size of the nail on my little finger to about the size of the palm of my hand, with multiple different species. They were alive — they hopped away after they’d fallen. There were no buildings or trees they could have fallen from; they were falling from the sky.

I did some research after I got back to Australia; the most popular theory is that thunderstorms — which can have 100kt updraughts right beside 100kt downdraughts — can suck whole ponds up into the cloud, and the contents of the pond (or other water body) is sucked up with it. The frogs (or fish, in the case the ABC reported above) hang around in the sky until they’re dumped on the ground. Reports of raining fish are much more common that frogs, but there are reliable records of both from at least the middle ages.

Interesting anecdote.

I’ve not ever seen it raining fish or frogs, nor cats and dogs.

You need to watch The Last Wave…

(yes, yes, I know it’s a movie and therefore fiction…)

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:21:17
From: buffy
ID: 1997014
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

It’s really noisy outside at the moment…yellow tailed black cockies are trying to decide where they want to roost tonight. I don’t mind their noise, it’s a lot more lyrical than the long billed corellas.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:24:24
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997015
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

My council has partnered with USC to track ibises and their breeding spots. They asked people to download an app and take pics to log locations of ibises, particularly tagged ones.

Not long ago I saw a family of tawny frogmouths; it was the same day a koala was spotted on a neighbour’s driveway. Andrea the koala isn’t even a local, she lives about 5kms away. I don’t know what the local koala’s name is. He lives down the back of the new housing development.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:33:47
From: ms spock
ID: 1997019
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


We couldn’t go for a walk this morning because it was raining. It rained very heavily early afternoon, precluding that time. We got 1400 steps in this arvo above the beach. We had to walk there because the normal walking track would have become slippery, as it does with rain. It has many leaves on it, you see. Mrs V tackled a few stairs too. Three, then five, then five, then four. She did well.

23 MINS 80s DANCE WORKOUT • 3300 Steps • Patreon Fan Favorites #6 • Walking Workout #107

23 MINS 80s DANCE WORKOUT

It’s more steps than The Patient can manage now, but it is funny that the guy danced noticing where the cat was sitting and changed his movement.

It’s not worth the 23 minutes though. Though I did it today because it was the first time I had seen it. So I watched it for you all so you didn’t have to ever watch it.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:35:43
From: ms spock
ID: 1997022
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

Goodo.

The top few of these stairs that go from town down to the beach.

(Forgot the photo.)


:)

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:37:54
From: buffy
ID: 1997023
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

And..I’ve caught up with you lot. Now I have to catch up with the iNaturalists.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:41:04
From: ms spock
ID: 1997025
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


ms spock said:

wookiemeister said:

this sounds like a factory for making soldiers

I am watching it and it is disturbing.

I did suggest it for those that like the idea (italics added now) of factory babies

will biotech go there…

It will, it’s just not something my brain can compute.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:43:39
From: ms spock
ID: 1997027
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


Divine Angel said:

OCDC said:

On a happier note, since June I have gone from BMI 31 to 24 thanks to migraine keto.

I’ve lost 3 kgs since the last time I weighed myself, dunno when that was. I’m trying IF. Mum having T2D puts me at a very high risk.


Dad’s diabeetus was diagnosed when he had his stroke a few years ago, so with ply a lot of diabeetus on mum’s side and my TIA in 2020 I was not happy being the size I was. But nothing kept it off til this, and that’s only bc I still see a dietician to keep me accountable. But my normal HbA1c improved and my cholesterol and liver function improved too so I’m super happy.

Improved and my cholesterol and liver function improvement is Congrats!

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:46:20
From: ms spock
ID: 1997029
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


ms spock said:

transition said:

lots honeyeaters out there, just comes through the yard for drinkies

:)

I saw buffy’s set up and it reminded me of my venomous snaking handling days where I got folks to put multiple bowls of water along their fences and it stopped the snakes going in to drink from their cat and dog bowls of water.

I really want to do a good set up like yours and buffys!

I bought three stoneware dishes from KMart the other day (from the kitchenware section) and am setting up another threesome. I stood there deciding…all the same colour? Different colours? I bought different colours so I can grade them down from blue at the top, to grey to earthy. When it’s finished I’ll put up a picture. (Bargain! Quite decent sized bowls/dishes for $3.50 each. Mind you, if you go to the op shop you can often get fancy plattery things to use in the garden too)

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:46:42
From: dv
ID: 1997030
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:52:44
From: buffy
ID: 1997031
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Mr buffy got his first lot of Ozempic today. He’s just reading the instructions. He’s been on the waiting list for about 6 months.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/semaglutide-supplies-return-to-australia-ahead-of

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 20:54:05
From: poikilotherm
ID: 1997032
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Mr buffy got his first lot of Ozempic today. He’s just reading the instructions. He’s been on the waiting list for about 6 months.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/semaglutide-supplies-return-to-australia-ahead-of

Have a large fridge full of it at work. Sooo many back orders.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 21:04:08
From: ms spock
ID: 1997033
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


It’s really noisy outside at the moment…yellow tailed black cockies are trying to decide where they want to roost tonight. I don’t mind their noise, it’s a lot more lyrical than the long billed corellas.

I love the black cockatoos. They have different temperaments than the sulphurs.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 21:14:24
From: Woodie
ID: 1997036
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Mr buffy got his first lot of Ozempic today. He’s just reading the instructions. He’s been on the waiting list for about 6 months.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/semaglutide-supplies-return-to-australia-ahead-of

Kewl. What weekly dose is he on? 25mg or 50mg? It will take a couple of weeks to kick in properly.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 21:15:57
From: buffy
ID: 1997037
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

poikilotherm said:


buffy said:

Mr buffy got his first lot of Ozempic today. He’s just reading the instructions. He’s been on the waiting list for about 6 months.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/semaglutide-supplies-return-to-australia-ahead-of

Have a large fridge full of it at work. Sooo many back orders.

Yes, he got a text from the pharmacy today and as we were going into town for archery, he picked it up. Do I have to watch him for hypo? He said the doctor told him to continue his Janumet and Glizambi.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 21:18:08
From: buffy
ID: 1997040
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


buffy said:

Mr buffy got his first lot of Ozempic today. He’s just reading the instructions. He’s been on the waiting list for about 6 months.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/semaglutide-supplies-return-to-australia-ahead-of

Kewl. What weekly dose is he on? 25mg or 50mg? It will take a couple of weeks to kick in properly.

It says 1mg/dose on the sticker.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 21:18:52
From: buffy
ID: 1997041
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


poikilotherm said:

buffy said:

Mr buffy got his first lot of Ozempic today. He’s just reading the instructions. He’s been on the waiting list for about 6 months.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/semaglutide-supplies-return-to-australia-ahead-of

Have a large fridge full of it at work. Sooo many back orders.

Yes, he got a text from the pharmacy today and as we were going into town for archery, he picked it up. Do I have to watch him for hypo? He said the doctor told him to continue his Janumet and Glizambi.

Ignore my spelling mistake there.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 21:33:33
From: poikilotherm
ID: 1997042
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Woodie said:

buffy said:

Mr buffy got his first lot of Ozempic today. He’s just reading the instructions. He’s been on the waiting list for about 6 months.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/semaglutide-supplies-return-to-australia-ahead-of

Kewl. What weekly dose is he on? 25mg or 50mg? It will take a couple of weeks to kick in properly.

It says 1mg/dose on the sticker.

Hmmm

If the box has a green colour on it, tell him to only use 9 clicks for the first two weeks, then 18 for another two weeks or so – causes nausea and straight to the full dose may make him ill.

Usually start on a box with a red bar on it – had doses of 0.25 and 0.5 before going to 1

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 21:35:44
From: poikilotherm
ID: 1997043
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Top box is starting dose bottom is maintenance

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 21:37:01
From: buffy
ID: 1997044
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

poikilotherm said:


Top box is starting dose bottom is maintenance


It’s the bottom one. And he’s just dosed himself.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 21:38:22
From: Woodie
ID: 1997045
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


poikilotherm said:

buffy said:

Mr buffy got his first lot of Ozempic today. He’s just reading the instructions. He’s been on the waiting list for about 6 months.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/semaglutide-supplies-return-to-australia-ahead-of

Have a large fridge full of it at work. Sooo many back orders.

Yes, he got a text from the pharmacy today and as we were going into town for archery, he picked it up. Do I have to watch him for hypo? He said the doctor told him to continue his Janumet and Glizambi.

IMO………. Whatch for hypo? No more than you currently would. Ozempic does not affect insulin production or uitilisation. Those other meds do affect insulin production and/or improve it’s utilisation. All Ozempic does is slow the process of food flowing through the stomach, impacting the “rush” of quick digestion on BSL. Makes you feel full before eating your usual amount of food. May also get greater acid reflux because it’ll take a lot longer to digest his tucker. Be prepared, on the odd occasion, to spontaneously throw up if he eats to much.

All that is my experience of Ozempic. Consult your physician or pharmacist of course.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 21:41:21
From: poikilotherm
ID: 1997046
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


poikilotherm said:

Top box is starting dose bottom is maintenance


It’s the bottom one. And he’s just dosed himself.

Well, if he gets nauseous through the week, use the lower dose 9 ‘clicks’ for next week. Hypos are rare.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 21:42:33
From: Woodie
ID: 1997047
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Woodie said:

buffy said:

Mr buffy got his first lot of Ozempic today. He’s just reading the instructions. He’s been on the waiting list for about 6 months.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/semaglutide-supplies-return-to-australia-ahead-of

Kewl. What weekly dose is he on? 25mg or 50mg? It will take a couple of weeks to kick in properly.

It says 1mg/dose on the sticker.

ooooopppps. My bad. I left off the decimal point. I wind my stabber around to .25mg. So 1mg is four times the does I am on. I do not know what the winder on the stabby thing will wind around to. I wind it to .25 once a week.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 21:43:06
From: poikilotherm
ID: 1997048
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


buffy said:

Woodie said:

Kewl. What weekly dose is he on? 25mg or 50mg? It will take a couple of weeks to kick in properly.

It says 1mg/dose on the sticker.

ooooopppps. My bad. I left off the decimal point. I wind my stabber around to .25mg. So 1mg is four times the does I am on. I do not know what the winder on the stabby thing will wind around to. I wind it to .25 once a week.

It’ll go to 0.5.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 21:43:50
From: buffy
ID: 1997049
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I don’t know what you mean by “clicks”. According to the instructions (I didn’t watch him doing it), you turn the dose selector to 1mg and that is all you can select. It actually says “Do not count the pen clicks”.

?

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 21:48:20
From: poikilotherm
ID: 1997054
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I don’t know what you mean by “clicks”. According to the instructions (I didn’t watch him doing it), you turn the dose selector to 1mg and that is all you can select. It actually says “Do not count the pen clicks”.

?

It’s not meant to be counted but that’s what we’ve been using while there’s been stock issues, the lower starter dose pen was near impossible to get. Also used the lower dose to extend the life of the pen while in shortage – 1/4 or 1/2 dose extended how long it lasts

Roughly 9 18 an 36 clicks will be 0.25 0.5 and 1 mg doses. It makes a little noise each time it’s dialled around. It’s not exact but it’s close enough.

If he doesn’t get sick all good but IME it makes people spew going to the full 1mg dose from nothing .

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 21:51:46
From: buffy
ID: 1997057
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

poikilotherm said:


buffy said:

I don’t know what you mean by “clicks”. According to the instructions (I didn’t watch him doing it), you turn the dose selector to 1mg and that is all you can select. It actually says “Do not count the pen clicks”.

?

It’s not meant to be counted but that’s what we’ve been using while there’s been stock issues, the lower starter dose pen was near impossible to get. Also used the lower dose to extend the life of the pen while in shortage – 1/4 or 1/2 dose extended how long it lasts

Roughly 9 18 an 36 clicks will be 0.25 0.5 and 1 mg doses. It makes a little noise each time it’s dialled around. It’s not exact but it’s close enough.

If he doesn’t get sick all good but IME it makes people spew going to the full 1mg dose from nothing .

Oh well, too late. I’ll put a bucket by the bed…and suggest he doesn’t go to the therapy pool in the morning.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 21:54:46
From: buffy
ID: 1997058
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

And now he says…oh yes, it did click!

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 21:55:59
From: buffy
ID: 1997059
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Anyway, thanks poik. We shall see what happens.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 21:57:15
From: Woodie
ID: 1997061
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

poikilotherm said:


buffy said:

I don’t know what you mean by “clicks”. According to the instructions (I didn’t watch him doing it), you turn the dose selector to 1mg and that is all you can select. It actually says “Do not count the pen clicks”.

?

It’s not meant to be counted but that’s what we’ve been using while there’s been stock issues, the lower starter dose pen was near impossible to get. Also used the lower dose to extend the life of the pen while in shortage – 1/4 or 1/2 dose extended how long it lasts

Roughly 9 18 an 36 clicks will be 0.25 0.5 and 1 mg doses. It makes a little noise each time it’s dialled around. It’s not exact but it’s close enough.

If he doesn’t get sick all good but IME it makes people spew going to the full 1mg dose from nothing .

……. or be prepared to leave food on the plate and more particularly, take a lot longer to eat what you do. too much, to quick, and it will just come straight back up again, or 3 or so hours later, massive acid reflux coz you ate too much too quick.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 22:02:28
From: Woodie
ID: 1997062
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


poikilotherm said:

buffy said:

I don’t know what you mean by “clicks”. According to the instructions (I didn’t watch him doing it), you turn the dose selector to 1mg and that is all you can select. It actually says “Do not count the pen clicks”.

?

It’s not meant to be counted but that’s what we’ve been using while there’s been stock issues, the lower starter dose pen was near impossible to get. Also used the lower dose to extend the life of the pen while in shortage – 1/4 or 1/2 dose extended how long it lasts

Roughly 9 18 an 36 clicks will be 0.25 0.5 and 1 mg doses. It makes a little noise each time it’s dialled around. It’s not exact but it’s close enough.

If he doesn’t get sick all good but IME it makes people spew going to the full 1mg dose from nothing .

Oh well, too late. I’ll put a bucket by the bed…and suggest he doesn’t go to the therapy pool in the morning.

Mr Buffy will find his own balance of how much to eat and how long to take to eat it. No real need too change what gets eaten, just the amount, and timeframe.

Again, this is my experience.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 22:03:11
From: poikilotherm
ID: 1997063
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Anyway, thanks poik. We shall see what happens.

Good luck and god speed … he’ll be fine , maybe just uncomfortable a few days.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 23:18:53
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997092
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

my facebook is going off with aurora pics from the back of cameras.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 23:24:46
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997096
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


my facebook is going off with aurora pics from the back of cameras.


this one from Ballarat.
Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 23:24:49
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1997097
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

(From the vale Shebs thread)

ChrispenEvan said:


Arts said:

ChrispenEvan said:

ahhhh so Arts was The Lab. The cat is out of the bag.

Worth it

Def. I don’t think any of mine would have worked.

:-)

Hmm. Must remember what my alternate one is/was to see if it still works.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 23:25:27
From: tauto
ID: 1997099
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


my facebook is going off with aurora pics from the back of cameras.

___

Ah, that would be sibeen peering over his glasses.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 23:28:54
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997101
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

my facebook is going off with aurora pics from the back of cameras.


this one from Ballarat.

I’ve got some greenish sky above the ridge.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 23:38:27
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1997111
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:

my facebook is going off with aurora pics from the back of cameras.


this one from Ballarat.

I’ve got some greenish sky above the ridge.

Wow.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 23:41:41
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997114
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:


this one from Ballarat.

I’ve got some greenish sky above the ridge.

Wow.

:)


now some flickering light on ridge.

there’s going to be some great photos around tomorrow.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 23:41:51
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1997115
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

We will never reach type 2 civilisation with people like Trump, Putin, Xi Jinping, just saying.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 23:43:03
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1997116
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

sarahs mum said:

I’ve got some greenish sky above the ridge.

Wow.

:)


now some flickering light on ridge.

there’s going to be some great photos around tomorrow.

Must have been a solar storm pass by.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 23:44:15
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997117
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Aurora going off southern Tasmania Franklin naked eye colour arc and beams. 11:13 21/2/23

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 23:53:10
From: Kingy
ID: 1997120
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

There has been hundreds of lightning strikes in the WA Eastern wheatbelt, starting dozens of bushfires.
Just organising a crew for a 5 day deployment but I don’t have a heavy tanker driver available.

Oh,

waves to junior sprog

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 23:53:31
From: tauto
ID: 1997121
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

tauto said:


sarahs mum said:

my facebook is going off with aurora pics from the back of cameras.

___

Ah, that would be sibeen peering over his glasses.

Because he is so incredibly proud of his girl.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/02/2023 23:55:02
From: kii
ID: 1997122
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Awake since 3am, nearly 6 now.

Brain won’t shut up about Kalamata olives, so I had to add them to my shopping order.

There has been some light rain.

The cat insists on lying on my feet, it’s getting annoying.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 00:36:20
From: Kingy
ID: 1997131
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Aurora going off southern Tasmania Franklin naked eye colour arc and beams. 11:13 21/2/23

I just drove out to Yallingup to see if it was visible here, but there’s a big cloud bank to the South so no luck. :(

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 00:41:23
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997136
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


sarahs mum said:

Aurora going off southern Tasmania Franklin naked eye colour arc and beams. 11:13 21/2/23

I just drove out to Yallingup to see if it was visible here, but there’s a big cloud bank to the South so no luck. :(

I need someone to move the ridge to my southeast.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 07:01:18
From: buffy
ID: 1997146
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 10 degrees and lightly overcast. We are forecast a sunny 33 degrees.

I’ll nip in to Hamilton for the supermarket stuff this morning.

I see Ailish found her way here last night. This is a Good Thing. For everyone. Thank you Arts for facilitating that.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 07:10:55
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997150
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Just scoffed a particularly tasty eggmess breakfast.

Peas, chopped onion and chopped cabbage nuked for 4 minutes with some garlic butter.

Then added a handful of fresh parsley, a handful of shredded ham, mixed that in with two eggs and bit more butter.

Nuked for two more minutes, served on toast.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 07:20:26
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997151
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Just scoffed a particularly tasty eggmess breakfast.

Peas, chopped onion and chopped cabbage nuked for 4 minutes with some garlic butter.

Then added a handful of fresh parsley, a handful of shredded ham, mixed that in with two eggs and bit more butter.

Nuked for two more minutes, served on toast.

Everything I cook at the moment, has to have oyster mushrooms in it. Bloody things fruit like crazy and go from hardly anything into a big plate full within a few days. Seems like I’m flat out eating them fast enough. We’ve had them with noodles had them with rice. Stir fried and even on toast with cheese under the griller.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 07:21:03
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997152
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Good morning Holidayers. Presently 10 degrees and lightly overcast. We are forecast a sunny 33 degrees.

I’ll nip in to Hamilton for the supermarket stuff this morning.

I see Ailish found her way here last night. This is a Good Thing. For everyone. Thank you Arts for facilitating that.

+1 indeed.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 07:38:27
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997153
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

Just scoffed a particularly tasty eggmess breakfast.

Peas, chopped onion and chopped cabbage nuked for 4 minutes with some garlic butter.

Then added a handful of fresh parsley, a handful of shredded ham, mixed that in with two eggs and bit more butter.

Nuked for two more minutes, served on toast.

Everything I cook at the moment, has to have oyster mushrooms in it. Bloody things fruit like crazy and go from hardly anything into a big plate full within a few days. Seems like I’m flat out eating them fast enough. We’ve had them with noodles had them with rice. Stir fried and even on toast with cheese under the griller.

Goodo.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 07:38:59
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997154
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Has that injection had a positive effect so far roughbarked?

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 07:39:00
From: buffy
ID: 1997155
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OK, I’m heading to the supermarket. I’ll check back on you lot later.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 07:40:23
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997157
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


OK, I’m heading to the supermarket. I’ll check back on you lot later.

Remember shampoo and toilet rolls.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 07:41:47
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997158
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Has that injection had a positive effect so far roughbarked?

I have noted that it feels better on the side I got the shots. Have to get the other side done next Monday. They told me that it could take from two days to a month to feel the effects or it might not work at all.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 07:42:00
From: ms spock
ID: 1997159
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dia daioch Earthlings!

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 07:43:27
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997160
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

Has that injection had a positive effect so far roughbarked?

I have noted that it feels better on the side I got the shots. Have to get the other side done next Monday. They told me that it could take from two days to a month to feel the effects or it might not work at all.

Well that sounds encouraging.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 07:43:40
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997161
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Dia daioch Earthlings!

Morning ms spock.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 07:46:09
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997163
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’d be charging a stupidity tax.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/1182zve/still_happens_even_in_2023/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf


Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 07:48:04
From: ms spock
ID: 1997164
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


ms spock said:

Dia daioch Earthlings!

Morning ms spock.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 07:50:24
From: ms spock
ID: 1997166
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dia duit DA! (Hello!)

Off for a class now!

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 07:53:03
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997167
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m getting child ready for school, and of course extra pats for Jellybean, who has not touched her bandage at all

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 07:58:23
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997168
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


I’m getting child ready for school, and of course extra pats for Jellybean, who has not touched her bandage at all

Good dog.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 08:03:51
From: transition
ID: 1997169
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I wets the inner yard down, washes all off, damp the dust while no wind

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 08:33:29
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997173
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

If anyone’s into ebooks, Amazon currently have a sale on a book about Alan Turing.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Reflections-Alan-Turing-Relative-Story-ebook/dp/B08R9BM4YB?_bbid=119714674&tag=dealsreminder1-22

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 10:07:28
From: transition
ID: 1997185
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

i’ll make my own coffee, don’t get up

fence sprinklers going, I’s at war with the dust monsters, delaying obstructivepulmonarysoundsunpleasant

yeah’s a fucken long word

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 10:19:39
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997192
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I have two Gripes of the Day, and they both relate the to rich boomers next door.

Their bloody boat parked on the street that I can’t see past, and oncoming traffic can’t see me. They have space to park it somewhere else, but nooooo. Council regulations allow boats to be parked on the street. They’ve had the boat four months and have taken it out twice. When parking their boat, they park across my driveway for hours while they wash it out and let it dry.

Mr Rich Boomer is a heavy smoker. I wonder if I should tell him that the previous owner died in that house from lung cancer? Anyway, my gripe is that I can smell his smoke when I hang out the washing although I can’t smell it on the clothes, which is A Very Good Thing.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 10:31:09
From: Tamb
ID: 1997193
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


I have two Gripes of the Day, and they both relate the to rich boomers next door.

Their bloody boat parked on the street that I can’t see past, and oncoming traffic can’t see me. They have space to park it somewhere else, but nooooo. Council regulations allow boats to be parked on the street. They’ve had the boat four months and have taken it out twice. When parking their boat, they park across my driveway for hours while they wash it out and let it dry.

Mr Rich Boomer is a heavy smoker. I wonder if I should tell him that the previous owner died in that house from lung cancer? Anyway, my gripe is that I can smell his smoke when I hang out the washing although I can’t smell it on the clothes, which is A Very Good Thing.
[/quote

Politely ask them to move their boat so you can get your car out.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 10:32:06
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1997194
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


I have two Gripes of the Day, and they both relate the to rich boomers next door.

Their bloody boat parked on the street that I can’t see past, and oncoming traffic can’t see me. They have space to park it somewhere else, but nooooo. Council regulations allow boats to be parked on the street. They’ve had the boat four months and have taken it out twice. When parking their boat, they park across my driveway for hours while they wash it out and let it dry.

Mr Rich Boomer is a heavy smoker. I wonder if I should tell him that the previous owner died in that house from lung cancer? Anyway, my gripe is that I can smell his smoke when I hang out the washing although I can’t smell it on the clothes, which is A Very Good Thing.

I think you should know that “boomer” is considered an offensive term these days.

Please use “person of age”.

Thanks for your consideration.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 10:35:11
From: Tamb
ID: 1997195
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Divine Angel said:

I have two Gripes of the Day, and they both relate the to rich boomers next door.

Their bloody boat parked on the street that I can’t see past, and oncoming traffic can’t see me. They have space to park it somewhere else, but nooooo. Council regulations allow boats to be parked on the street. They’ve had the boat four months and have taken it out twice. When parking their boat, they park across my driveway for hours while they wash it out and let it dry.

Mr Rich Boomer is a heavy smoker. I wonder if I should tell him that the previous owner died in that house from lung cancer? Anyway, my gripe is that I can smell his smoke when I hang out the washing although I can’t smell it on the clothes, which is A Very Good Thing.

I think you should know that “boomer” is considered an offensive term these days.

Please use “person of age”.

Thanks for your consideration.

Beep, beep, beep. Sarcasm detector activated.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 10:37:03
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997196
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning punters and correctors, I’m just up and it looks like there’s been some overnight rain in The Pearl.
Today I might wash the car.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 10:38:29
From: Ian
ID: 1997197
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Divine Angel said:

I have two Gripes of the Day, and they both relate the to rich boomers next door.

Their bloody boat parked on the street that I can’t see past, and oncoming traffic can’t see me. They have space to park it somewhere else, but nooooo. Council regulations allow boats to be parked on the street. They’ve had the boat four months and have taken it out twice. When parking their boat, they park across my driveway for hours while they wash it out and let it dry.

Mr Rich Boomer is a heavy smoker. I wonder if I should tell him that the previous owner died in that house from lung cancer? Anyway, my gripe is that I can smell his smoke when I hang out the washing although I can’t smell it on the clothes, which is A Very Good Thing.

I think you should know that “boomer” is considered an offensive term these days.

Please use “person of age”.

Thanks for your consideration.

The term has been weaponized but I don’t mind. I’ve come to realise that they’re all jealous :)

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 10:40:26
From: Tamb
ID: 1997199
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Ian said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

Divine Angel said:

I have two Gripes of the Day, and they both relate the to rich boomers next door.

Their bloody boat parked on the street that I can’t see past, and oncoming traffic can’t see me. They have space to park it somewhere else, but nooooo. Council regulations allow boats to be parked on the street. They’ve had the boat four months and have taken it out twice. When parking their boat, they park across my driveway for hours while they wash it out and let it dry.

Mr Rich Boomer is a heavy smoker. I wonder if I should tell him that the previous owner died in that house from lung cancer? Anyway, my gripe is that I can smell his smoke when I hang out the washing although I can’t smell it on the clothes, which is A Very Good Thing.

I think you should know that “boomer” is considered an offensive term these days.

Please use “person of age”.

Thanks for your consideration.

The term has been weaponized but I don’t mind. I’ve come to realise that they’re all jealous :)


person of age is too inaccurate. I am a person of age but not a boomer. Possibly a war baby.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 10:40:58
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997201
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The rich persons of age hogging the road with the boat.

If only I knew someone who would be interested in a boat…

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 10:46:04
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997202
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The only reason I’m interested in NAPLAN is because Mini Me sits them next month. Am pleased to see none of the local private schools are in the top 10. Am also pleased to see some state schools made the list.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/school-life/best-schools-in-australia-revealed-as-2022-naplan-results-are-published/news-story/79bd44d404cd18ac02542031185ade5b

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:00:52
From: ms spock
ID: 1997206
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


The only reason I’m interested in NAPLAN is because Mini Me sits them next month. Am pleased to see none of the local private schools are in the top 10. Am also pleased to see some state schools made the list.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/school-life/best-schools-in-australia-revealed-as-2022-naplan-results-are-published/news-story/79bd44d404cd18ac02542031185ade5b

It is a bit of a waste of time and energy. You have to cut out quite a bit of content to teach to the test in the months prior to the NAPLAN exam, well the teachers in the schools that I was in had to anyway.

We will be unlikely to get rid of it now as it is a million dollar industry of books, extra resources and tutors.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:05:41
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997208
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

We did some practice questions. They’re ridiculous.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:12:45
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1997210
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


We did some practice questions. They’re ridiculous.

1/6.

Then there will be 3/6 left in the bag, and they can all have another equal share, and they will all be happy.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:12:51
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997211
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Divine Angel said:

The only reason I’m interested in NAPLAN is because Mini Me sits them next month. Am pleased to see none of the local private schools are in the top 10. Am also pleased to see some state schools made the list.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/school-life/best-schools-in-australia-revealed-as-2022-naplan-results-are-published/news-story/79bd44d404cd18ac02542031185ade5b

It is a bit of a waste of time and energy. You have to cut out quite a bit of content to teach to the test in the months prior to the NAPLAN exam, well the teachers in the schools that I was in had to anyway.

We will be unlikely to get rid of it now as it is a million dollar industry of books, extra resources and tutors.

They’ve moved NAPLAN from August to March, which reminds me of the scene in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory where the teacher says the quiz has moved so they have the test on what they’ve learned before they learn it.

Last week we got an email to say not to get tutors or anything before NAPLAN. They are doing practice tests but only because it has moved from a paper test to online so they’re using iPads to practice clicking the right things.

We never hear about the kids who are in year 3/5 and are still reading at a kindergarten level. There’s a couple of those kids in C’s class. I’m sure one is dyslexic, which requires a psychologist to diagnose, but her family can’t afford a psych so no diagnosis and no extra support. The other one I suspect vision issues, but again her family is extremely poor and can’t afford glasses if necessary. And no $$ for extra support.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:15:42
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1997213
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Divine Angel said:

We did some practice questions. They’re ridiculous.

1/6.

Then there will be 3/6 left in the bag, and they can all have another equal share, and they will all be happy.

maybe bill and sue aren’t all that keen on apples so don’t mind mark having more.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:15:59
From: Cymek
ID: 1997214
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


The rich persons of age hogging the road with the boat.

If only I knew someone who would be interested in a boat…

Stepbrothers ?

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:16:11
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997215
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Divine Angel said:

We did some practice questions. They’re ridiculous.

1/6.

Then there will be 3/6 left in the bag, and they can all have another equal share, and they will all be happy.


There was a question I got wrong, and Mini Me explained why I was wrong! How am I failing year 3 maths??

Also another question I confused myself because of the wording. Q27

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:18:18
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1997217
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

so we still don’t understand, if the purpose of basic skills testing like NAPLAN is to determine areas of need and correlates of performance such that better education can be delivered

why is it seen as a competition

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:19:41
From: Cymek
ID: 1997219
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

so we still don’t understand, if the purpose of basic skills testing like NAPLAN is to determine areas of need and correlates of performance such that better education can be delivered

why is it seen as a competition

Better Naplan gets more funding I think, plus bragging rights for the school

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:20:47
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997221
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


SCIENCE said:

so we still don’t understand, if the purpose of basic skills testing like NAPLAN is to determine areas of need and correlates of performance such that better education can be delivered

why is it seen as a competition

Better Naplan gets more funding I think, plus bragging rights for the school

Surely shitty results should result in more funding.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:42:41
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1997229
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

Divine Angel said:

We did some practice questions. They’re ridiculous.

1/6.

Then there will be 3/6 left in the bag, and they can all have another equal share, and they will all be happy.

maybe bill and sue aren’t all that keen on apples so don’t mind mark having more.

Yeah, that’s possible.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:47:05
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1997232
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


ChrispenEvan said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

1/6.

Then there will be 3/6 left in the bag, and they can all have another equal share, and they will all be happy.

maybe bill and sue aren’t all that keen on apples so don’t mind mark having more.

Yeah, that’s possible.

But in that case the answer is 4/4 = 1, isn’t it?

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:47:18
From: Arts
ID: 1997233
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


The only reason I’m interested in NAPLAN is because Mini Me sits them next month. Am pleased to see none of the local private schools are in the top 10. Am also pleased to see some state schools made the list.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/school-life/best-schools-in-australia-revealed-as-2022-naplan-results-are-published/news-story/79bd44d404cd18ac02542031185ade5b

you are allowed to opt out

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:51:03
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997237
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

so we still don’t understand, if the purpose of basic skills testing like NAPLAN is to determine areas of need and correlates of performance such that better education can be delivered

why is it seen as a competition

Because government organisations like education and health like to shoot the messenger.

If your school produces dud results, they don’t sit down with you over a nice cup of coffee and ask in a friendly tone about why you think the results are like that, and ask what they can do to help improve things.

They get you under the hot spotlight and grill you about why it is that you’re doing such a shit job of teaching these kids, and assure you that things can be, and probably will be, made a lot worse for you if you don’t do better next time and cease embarrassing the department in this way.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:51:52
From: ms spock
ID: 1997239
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

Divine Angel said:

We did some practice questions. They’re ridiculous.

1/6.

Then there will be 3/6 left in the bag, and they can all have another equal share, and they will all be happy.


There was a question I got wrong, and Mini Me explained why I was wrong! How am I failing year 3 maths??

Also another question I confused myself because of the wording. Q27

Maths tests are writting by Maths teachers. They may or may not have good writing skills.

When I was on my Practicum one of them told me he couldn’t spell that well. Thus there is a problem with the way he wrote his classwork and exams. They need to hire English teachers to go through what a Maths teacher create. The kids loved him and he got the lowest level of students learning how to do maths through all these creative maths games.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:51:54
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997240
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


ChrispenEvan said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

1/6.

Then there will be 3/6 left in the bag, and they can all have another equal share, and they will all be happy.

maybe bill and sue aren’t all that keen on apples so don’t mind mark having more.

Yeah, that’s possible.

I say that if Mark isn’t smart enough to be there when the divvy takes places, screw him, he gets whatever the others don’t want.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:52:54
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997243
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

ChrispenEvan said:

maybe bill and sue aren’t all that keen on apples so don’t mind mark having more.

Yeah, that’s possible.

I say that if Mark isn’t smart enough to be there when the divvy takes places, screw him, he gets whatever the others don’t want.

Please can I have the core?
Nup. There ain’t going to be no core.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:55:57
From: ms spock
ID: 1997248
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


ms spock said:

Divine Angel said:

The only reason I’m interested in NAPLAN is because Mini Me sits them next month. Am pleased to see none of the local private schools are in the top 10. Am also pleased to see some state schools made the list.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/school-life/best-schools-in-australia-revealed-as-2022-naplan-results-are-published/news-story/79bd44d404cd18ac02542031185ade5b

It is a bit of a waste of time and energy. You have to cut out quite a bit of content to teach to the test in the months prior to the NAPLAN exam, well the teachers in the schools that I was in had to anyway.

We will be unlikely to get rid of it now as it is a million dollar industry of books, extra resources and tutors.

They’ve moved NAPLAN from August to March, which reminds me of the scene in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory where the teacher says the quiz has moved so they have the test on what they’ve learned before they learn it.

Last week we got an email to say not to get tutors or anything before NAPLAN. They are doing practice tests but only because it has moved from a paper test to online so they’re using iPads to practice clicking the right things.

We never hear about the kids who are in year 3/5 and are still reading at a kindergarten level. There’s a couple of those kids in C’s class. I’m sure one is dyslexic, which requires a psychologist to diagnose, but her family can’t afford a psych so no diagnosis and no extra support. The other one I suspect vision issues, but again her family is extremely poor and can’t afford glasses if necessary. And no $$ for extra support.

In Finland if a teacher alerts that there is that potential problem their student can be assessed that week. Extra support immediately is put in place for the student. It is illegal to run a private school in Finland. The thought being that every parent will be invested in having the best for their schools because their children will be attending it

In Canada, they have supports put in place so quickly it is like a fantasy story.

A family wouldn’t have to pay for a psychologist to diagnose Autism in Finland. It is done via the school quite promptly.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 11:56:32
From: ms spock
ID: 1997249
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

so we still don’t understand, if the purpose of basic skills testing like NAPLAN is to determine areas of need and correlates of performance such that better education can be delivered

why is it seen as a competition

because of neoliberalist marketisation.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 12:00:40
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997253
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

A family wouldn’t have to pay for a psychologist to diagnose Autism in Finland. It is done via the school quite promptly.

When i worked with a Child & Youth Mental Health Service, i saw a number of kids diagnosed as autistic, after consultation with and between psychologists, speech therapists, social workers, and a child psychiatrist.

That cost the families nothing at all.

I also saw a a few parents resist the idea that their child was/is autistic, because they saw that as a long-term ‘sentence’ for both their child and the rest of the family. They would rather have had a diagnosis of some mental health problem/disorder, which they saw as being treatable and remediable.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 12:01:08
From: Arts
ID: 1997254
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

so we still don’t understand, if the purpose of basic skills testing like NAPLAN is to determine areas of need and correlates of performance such that better education can be delivered

why is it seen as a competition

those with high NAPLAN scores get money, those with low ones get a review by the education department which makes the school form committees to form and implement curriculum to bring up the score in whatever area, thus encroaching on teachers time even more and pulling the out of the classroom for the meetings.

This is not cynicism. I was School board president when this happened at my kids primary school. it was a delicious waste of time and resources.. but what would I know?

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 12:04:00
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997257
Subject: re: Chat February 2023


Museum of Artifacts
3 d ·
The Plus Four Wristlet Route Indicator, a British product from the 1920s, is a scroll-map navigator in the shape of a watch. It came with tiny interchangeable instructions that you scrolled manually to see which roads to take when driving.
Support: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/artifactsmuseum

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 12:04:19
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997258
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


SCIENCE said:

so we still don’t understand, if the purpose of basic skills testing like NAPLAN is to determine areas of need and correlates of performance such that better education can be delivered

why is it seen as a competition

those with high NAPLAN scores get money, those with low ones get a review by the education department which makes the school form committees to form and implement curriculum to bring up the score in whatever area, thus encroaching on teachers time even more and pulling the out of the classroom for the meetings.

This is not cynicism. I was School board president when this happened at my kids primary school. it was a delicious waste of time and resources.. but what would I know?

My comments about ‘shooting the messenger’ were not entirely cynical, either. I may have been hyperbolic in my choice of metaphors, but it can be like that, in that quietly menacing bureaucratic way that large departments can employ.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 12:08:47
From: ms spock
ID: 1997261
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


SCIENCE said:

so we still don’t understand, if the purpose of basic skills testing like NAPLAN is to determine areas of need and correlates of performance such that better education can be delivered

why is it seen as a competition

Because government organisations like education and health like to shoot the messenger.

If your school produces dud results, they don’t sit down with you over a nice cup of coffee and ask in a friendly tone about why you think the results are like that, and ask what they can do to help improve things.

They get you under the hot spotlight and grill you about why it is that you’re doing such a shit job of teaching these kids, and assure you that things can be, and probably will be, made a lot worse for you if you don’t do better next time and cease embarrassing the department in this way.

It’s teaching people to cheat. There was a research paper that came out about that when I was doing my teacher training. No one wants to teach the lower classes and if they do they teach pretty to the test so their kids don’t get lower on their tests.

The problem is when I have two kids in Year 8 who are at a Grade 2 level – it makes it really hard to cater for having 5-6 levels in one class.

In America or Canda if you fail you do Summer school. There are no consequences in Australia for failing. A lot of the kids don’t care because the curriculum isn’t relevant for them and they know they are going up a grade whether they do the work or not.

If a teacher notices a challenge for a young person, and they report it. They have to document for 90 days, then fill out more paperwork and then more paperwork. And if it doesn’t get submitted properly before the end of the year – which happens offten because of the paperwork, you have to start again documenting and reporting that student again. It can take three years to get a proper assessment. If you can get your student assessed, and in the mean time they have lost their confidence and hate school.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 12:09:54
From: ms spock
ID: 1997262
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Divine Angel said:

The only reason I’m interested in NAPLAN is because Mini Me sits them next month. Am pleased to see none of the local private schools are in the top 10. Am also pleased to see some state schools made the list.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/school-life/best-schools-in-australia-revealed-as-2022-naplan-results-are-published/news-story/79bd44d404cd18ac02542031185ade5b

you are allowed to opt out

1+

If all the parents opted out teachers could actually teach what the students actually need to know, and do the one on one to get kids up to speed rather than teaching to the test so they get their contract renewed.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 12:11:27
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997264
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



Museum of Artifacts
3 d ·
The Plus Four Wristlet Route Indicator, a British product from the 1920s, is a scroll-map navigator in the shape of a watch. It came with tiny interchangeable instructions that you scrolled manually to see which roads to take when driving.
Support: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/artifactsmuseum

Would have been cutting edge in its day.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 12:15:38
From: ms spock
ID: 1997266
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ms spock said:

A family wouldn’t have to pay for a psychologist to diagnose Autism in Finland. It is done via the school quite promptly.

When i worked with a Child & Youth Mental Health Service, i saw a number of kids diagnosed as autistic, after consultation with and between psychologists, speech therapists, social workers, and a child psychiatrist.

That cost the families nothing at all.

I also saw a a few parents resist the idea that their child was/is autistic, because they saw that as a long-term ‘sentence’ for both their child and the rest of the family. They would rather have had a diagnosis of some mental health problem/disorder, which they saw as being treatable and remediable.

It is hard when the parents think it is a sentence. That’s really tough. So everyone knows but because the parents won’t accept it there are no supports put in place. Heartbreaking stuff.

How did the children access your services? What state are you in? Because if you know how to work the system to get these young people assessed that would be an awesome boon. Teachers don’t always know or have the time to find out how to get their young people linked up to people like you. How would they get in contact with you? How did these young people come to your attention?

Don’t answer if it could breach your confidentiality or anything like that. Teachers kind of trade this type of information like it’s gold, which it is. If you can get your students access to some proper professionals it can be life changing for that student and their family.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 12:19:30
From: ms spock
ID: 1997269
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


SCIENCE said:

so we still don’t understand, if the purpose of basic skills testing like NAPLAN is to determine areas of need and correlates of performance such that better education can be delivered

why is it seen as a competition

those with high NAPLAN scores get money, those with low ones get a review by the education department which makes the school form committees to form and implement curriculum to bring up the score in whatever area, thus encroaching on teachers time even more and pulling the out of the classroom for the meetings.

This is not cynicism. I was School board president when this happened at my kids primary school. it was a delicious waste of time and resources.. but what would I know?

You are totally right and on the money with this one Arts.

Great teachers with awesome skills working with lower ability students, kept spending less and less time in the classroom and in preparation because of all the NAPLAN meetings, paperwork, training about training, training to teach the basics about ridiculous things but it was making someone money to waste teacher’s time like that.

The most underserved got less access to the actual teachers that could assist them to catch up or even begin to gain some confidence again.

It’s a tremendous waste of time, money, energy, and a waste of a generation of young people’s education. The most brilliant teachers with 25-30-35-40 years are just walking out the door. So it is killing of expertise of the best and the brightest because they are not wasting their time on this rubbish.

You need mentors, really good mentors when you are a beginning teacher, and they are being driven away in droves.

The workload is just ridiculous.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 12:35:16
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997276
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

How did the children access your services? What state are you in? Because if you know how to work the system to get these young people assessed that would be an awesome boon. Teachers don’t always know or have the time to find out how to get their young people linked up to people like you. How would they get in contact with you? How did these young people come to your attention?

Don’t answer if it could breach your confidentiality or anything like that. Teachers kind of trade this type of information like it’s gold, which it is. If you can get your students access to some proper professionals it can be life changing for that student and their family.

What i say refers to how it was more than 10 years back, but i doubt that it’s much changed. In Queensland, parents/guardians only needed to phone the C&YMHS nearest to them, via the Hospital if necessary, and they’d be put in touch with the ‘intake’ person for that day, no doctor referral or anything like that needed.

Where i was, there was no waiting list. An initial appointment would be made for the earliest opportunity, and things would proceed from there. Nothing could be done without parent/guardian involvement, of course, but the local schools all knew we were there, and would encourage p’s/g’s to contact us if they thought it would help.

I often wished i’d stayed with C&YMHS where i did the admin stuff for them. It was where i could see close-up that good was being done.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 12:39:10
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997278
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Seems Roald Dahl’s books have been rewritten by Puffin to reflect today’s prejudices, presumably in the interests of squeezing more profits out of them.

Opinion: Roald Dahl: Don’t gobblefunk around with words!

Sarah Morgan Jones

https://nation.cymru/opinion/roald-dahl-dont-gobblefunk-around-with-words/

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 12:52:29
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997283
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

For information:

Bruce Lehrmann does NOT appear on today’s Law List for Toowoomba Courts.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 12:55:10
From: ms spock
ID: 1997285
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ms spock said:

How did the children access your services? What state are you in? Because if you know how to work the system to get these young people assessed that would be an awesome boon. Teachers don’t always know or have the time to find out how to get their young people linked up to people like you. How would they get in contact with you? How did these young people come to your attention?

Don’t answer if it could breach your confidentiality or anything like that. Teachers kind of trade this type of information like it’s gold, which it is. If you can get your students access to some proper professionals it can be life changing for that student and their family.

What i say refers to how it was more than 10 years back, but i doubt that it’s much changed. In Queensland, parents/guardians only needed to phone the C&YMHS nearest to them, via the Hospital if necessary, and they’d be put in touch with the ‘intake’ person for that day, no doctor referral or anything like that needed.

Where i was, there was no waiting list. An initial appointment would be made for the earliest opportunity, and things would proceed from there. Nothing could be done without parent/guardian involvement, of course, but the local schools all knew we were there, and would encourage p’s/g’s to contact us if they thought it would help.

I often wished i’d stayed with C&YMHS where i did the admin stuff for them. It was where i could see close-up that good was being done.

Thank you so much! This was information I had no idea about.

That sounds like such a satisfying job to be doing!

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 12:59:30
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997287
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

Thank you so much! This was information I had no idea about.

That sounds like such a satisfying job to be doing!

It was a good job, a bit harrying and even hair-raising at times, and you had to be versatile, ready to help out however was needed.

I recall keeping a lass 8 years old amused while her parent had a long discussion with the therapist. We played cards (blackjack) and if we’d been playing for money, she would have taken me to the cleaners.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 13:10:05
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997289
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Seems Roald Dahl’s books have been rewritten by Puffin to reflect today’s prejudices, presumably in the interests of squeezing more profits out of them.

Opinion: Roald Dahl: Don’t gobblefunk around with words!

Sarah Morgan Jones

https://nation.cymru/opinion/roald-dahl-dont-gobblefunk-around-with-words/

A bit of trivia, he was married to Patricia Neal (US actress) for 30 years.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 13:18:33
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997292
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 13:23:57
From: Cymek
ID: 1997293
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

Seems Roald Dahl’s books have been rewritten by Puffin to reflect today’s prejudices, presumably in the interests of squeezing more profits out of them.

Opinion: Roald Dahl: Don’t gobblefunk around with words!

Sarah Morgan Jones

https://nation.cymru/opinion/roald-dahl-dont-gobblefunk-around-with-words/

A bit of trivia, he was married to Patricia Neal (US actress) for 30 years.

Charlie and the UN approved non slave labour sustainable farming chocolate factory

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 13:25:02
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997294
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



That’s unusual.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 13:28:19
From: Cymek
ID: 1997295
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Old lifts in the courts are always breaking down, I imagine a huge effort to replace them though so not much can be done

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 13:34:51
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997296
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:


That’s unusual.

it’s certainly trivia.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 13:35:52
From: Cymek
ID: 1997297
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:


That’s unusual.

it’s certainly trivia.

What does Tom Jones think

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 13:51:11
From: transition
ID: 1997300
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

put this in chat

>They normalise interest rates rises that stress millions of people to protect the economy and give banks record profits.

just reading in 2015 banks paid 14Billion in tax to governments

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 13:54:08
From: transition
ID: 1997301
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


put this in chat

>They normalise interest rates rises that stress millions of people to protect the economy and give banks record profits.

just reading in 2015 banks paid 14Billion in tax to governments

should have a look for more recent numbers

anyway just considering increased interest rates as a tax I was

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 13:54:51
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997302
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Is it hot Trans?

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 13:57:27
From: transition
ID: 1997303
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Is it hot Trans?

it’s hell out there, seen a lot worse but not real comfortable

get relief on saturday

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 14:00:59
From: transition
ID: 1997305
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Is it hot Trans?

it’s hell out there, seen a lot worse but not real comfortable

get relief on saturday

more the dry, wind and dust, and pissing money out of the hose keeping garden alive

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 14:06:13
From: Michael V
ID: 1997309
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:


That’s unusual.

I’ll say.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 14:08:45
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1997310
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

That’s unusual.

I’ll say.

well the world* isn’t that big and people do cross paths with many many others

*: especially in a country that calls itself the world

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 14:15:59
From: buffy
ID: 1997316
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-22/superannuation-changes-proposed-tax-concessions-cap/102007066

I just read that piece. I thought there already was an upper limit, that after you had a certain amount in your super you could no longer contribute. I’m a bit vague on why I thought that was so, except I seem to remember scanning the information some years ago and thinking…well, I’ll never have that much, don’t need to know that. And dumping it from my need to know box in my memory.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 14:21:06
From: buffy
ID: 1997318
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Progress report on Mr buffy’s digestion under the new diabetes drug regime…breakfast, morning tea and lunch achieved without any signs of nausea or vomiting. I’m going to do satay chicken and stirfry veggies for tea. We will see how that goes. I suspect we don’t eat large enough amounts for it to be a problem. When we went to the bakery for morning tea, he only had a thickshake, rather than a thickshake + slice/cake. Just to be prudent and wary.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 14:34:16
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997319
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


sarahs mum said:


Museum of Artifacts
3 d ·
The Plus Four Wristlet Route Indicator, a British product from the 1920s, is a scroll-map navigator in the shape of a watch. It came with tiny interchangeable instructions that you scrolled manually to see which roads to take when driving.
Support: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/artifactsmuseum

Would have been cutting edge in its day.


Watchmakers were doing that for a few hundred years.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 14:38:31
From: Woodie
ID: 1997323
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Progress report on Mr buffy’s digestion under the new diabetes drug regime…breakfast, morning tea and lunch achieved without any signs of nausea or vomiting. I’m going to do satay chicken and stirfry veggies for tea. We will see how that goes. I suspect we don’t eat large enough amounts for it to be a problem. When we went to the bakery for morning tea, he only had a thickshake, rather than a thickshake + slice/cake. Just to be prudent and wary.

As mentioned, Ms Buffy, is does take a few days/week to kick in properly.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 14:43:16
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997328
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Is it hot Trans?

it’s hell out there, seen a lot worse but not real comfortable

get relief on saturday

Bit of the same here. Hot windy shit. Not the worst but ratshit anyway.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 14:43:31
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997329
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


transition said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Is it hot Trans?

it’s hell out there, seen a lot worse but not real comfortable

get relief on saturday

more the dry, wind and dust, and pissing money out of the hose keeping garden alive

This.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 14:47:47
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997331
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ms spock said:

A family wouldn’t have to pay for a psychologist to diagnose Autism in Finland. It is done via the school quite promptly.

When i worked with a Child & Youth Mental Health Service, i saw a number of kids diagnosed as autistic, after consultation with and between psychologists, speech therapists, social workers, and a child psychiatrist.

That cost the families nothing at all.

I also saw a a few parents resist the idea that their child was/is autistic, because they saw that as a long-term ‘sentence’ for both their child and the rest of the family. They would rather have had a diagnosis of some mental health problem/disorder, which they saw as being treatable and remediable.

Schools actively push for a diagnosis cos they get more funding.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 14:49:31
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997332
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I was asked to run for P&C President, I laughed.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 14:54:18
From: Cymek
ID: 1997333
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


I was asked to run for P&C President, I laughed.

The power and the cooperation from the other parents isn’t your thing

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 14:57:47
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997335
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Divine Angel said:

I was asked to run for P&C President, I laughed.

The power and the cooperation from the other parents isn’t your thing

Too hard basket.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 15:00:42
From: Arts
ID: 1997339
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


I was asked to run for P&C President, I laughed.

yeah P&C president I wouldn’t do because I had to deal with other parents, but the school board was different and it could implement actual change at the school for the students – rather than fundraising and such.. (or so I thought, because the principal was very risk adverse and she wouldn’t do anything without the departments say so, so any process took a super long time)

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 15:03:58
From: Michael V
ID: 1997341
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


I was asked to run for P&C President, I laughed.

Why?

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 15:18:14
From: dv
ID: 1997343
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

Seems Roald Dahl’s books have been rewritten by Puffin to reflect today’s prejudices, presumably in the interests of squeezing more profits out of them.

Opinion: Roald Dahl: Don’t gobblefunk around with words!

Sarah Morgan Jones

https://nation.cymru/opinion/roald-dahl-dont-gobblefunk-around-with-words/

A bit of trivia, he was married to Patricia Neal (US actress) for 30 years.

It was decided by his estate, rather than publishers, to reflect their values, not those of the audience.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 15:29:20
From: dv
ID: 1997349
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Disney went through a similar process some years back when deciding what to put on streaming. A lot of the stuff from the early part of the 20th century got a little warning at the front about “outdated cultural depictions”, but Song of the South didn’t make the cut and was considered to racist to be salvageable. The origin still exists, no doubt people have copies, but the company decided not to show that part of their own product any more. That’s the evolving world of art I guess.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 15:40:50
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997351
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News
13 m ·
Vladimir Putin has delivered his first state of the union address since the start of the Ukrainian invasion, withdrawing from a nuclear treaty with the United States.
Analyst Alexey Muraviev says it was effectively the beginning of Putin’s election campaign, as well as preparing the Russian population for a long war in Ukraine.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 15:47:40
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997352
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Bubblecar said:

Seems Roald Dahl’s books have been rewritten by Puffin to reflect today’s prejudices, presumably in the interests of squeezing more profits out of them.

Opinion: Roald Dahl: Don’t gobblefunk around with words!

Sarah Morgan Jones

https://nation.cymru/opinion/roald-dahl-dont-gobblefunk-around-with-words/

A bit of trivia, he was married to Patricia Neal (US actress) for 30 years.

It was decided by his estate, rather than publishers, to reflect their values, not those of the audience.

I think we can take it for granted that both his estate and Puffin are concerned about keeping the money coming in.

The Dahl collection has been a hugely profitable property and they want it to stay that way, so the rewriting serves two purposes: to help “cancel-proof” the product and to score shedloads of free publicity for a somewhat tired swag of titles, reminding everyone that they’re still in print.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 15:49:10
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997354
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“Jungle Jim is the fictional hero of a series of jungle adventures in various media”

Fictional, lol.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 15:50:12
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997355
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ABC News
13 m ·
Vladimir Putin has delivered his first state of the union address since the start of the Ukrainian invasion, withdrawing from a nuclear treaty with the United States.
Analyst Alexey Muraviev says it was effectively the beginning of Putin’s election campaign, as well as preparing the Russian population for a long war in Ukraine.

If you looked at his audience, there was no support. Nil admiration respose. It looked more like, If they could get out of prison, they would.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 15:52:44
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997357
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ABC News
13 m ·
Vladimir Putin has delivered his first state of the union address since the start of the Ukrainian invasion, withdrawing from a nuclear treaty with the United States.
Analyst Alexey Muraviev says it was effectively the beginning of Putin’s election campaign, as well as preparing the Russian population for a long war in Ukraine.

Pretty short and to the point.
Only when for 2 hours compared to his usual 4.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 15:55:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997359
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


sarahs mum said:

ABC News
13 m ·
Vladimir Putin has delivered his first state of the union address since the start of the Ukrainian invasion, withdrawing from a nuclear treaty with the United States.
Analyst Alexey Muraviev says it was effectively the beginning of Putin’s election campaign, as well as preparing the Russian population for a long war in Ukraine.

Pretty short and to the point.
Only when for 2 hours compared to his usual 4.

There has to be something wrong with the people who have to sit there listening. Most of ys would have revolted much earlier.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:01:57
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997363
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.openculture.com/2023/02/leonardos-lost-sketches-suggest-that-he-theorized-gravity-before-galileo-newton.html

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:04:15
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997365
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The last surviving member of a band that did well up and down the south coast for a bit, called the flying zucchini brothers.
Died on the same day as sibeen. He was my next door neighbour from about 1966.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:10:55
From: dv
ID: 1997367
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

ABC News
13 m ·
Vladimir Putin has delivered his first state of the union address since the start of the Ukrainian invasion, withdrawing from a nuclear treaty with the United States.
Analyst Alexey Muraviev says it was effectively the beginning of Putin’s election campaign, as well as preparing the Russian population for a long war in Ukraine.

If you looked at his audience, there was no support. Nil admiration respose. It looked more like, If they could get out of prison, they would.

Damn, I missed it

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:16:22
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997368
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Roald Dahl was racist, misogynistic, anti-Semitic. By all means, take all that shit out of his books.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:18:46
From: Cymek
ID: 1997369
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

sarahs mum said:

ABC News
13 m ·
Vladimir Putin has delivered his first state of the union address since the start of the Ukrainian invasion, withdrawing from a nuclear treaty with the United States.
Analyst Alexey Muraviev says it was effectively the beginning of Putin’s election campaign, as well as preparing the Russian population for a long war in Ukraine.

Pretty short and to the point.
Only when for 2 hours compared to his usual 4.

There has to be something wrong with the people who have to sit there listening. Most of ys would have revolted much earlier.

It was mentioned in a news article those most against the war have left Russia or been locked up.
Lots of recruits as the pay is significantly higher that the average Russia wage

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:19:41
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997370
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


roughbarked said:

sarahs mum said:

ABC News
13 m ·
Vladimir Putin has delivered his first state of the union address since the start of the Ukrainian invasion, withdrawing from a nuclear treaty with the United States.
Analyst Alexey Muraviev says it was effectively the beginning of Putin’s election campaign, as well as preparing the Russian population for a long war in Ukraine.

If you looked at his audience, there was no support. Nil admiration respose. It looked more like, If they could get out of prison, they would.

Damn, I missed it

https://fb.watch/iRnT35gd4g/

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:19:48
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997371
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Speaking of books, I’ve been reading House of Leaves, which is the weirdest book I’ve ever read. Here are some example pages.


Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:20:53
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997372
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Divine Angel said:

I was asked to run for P&C President, I laughed.

Why?

I left the P&C last year when I discovered how much money they give the Chaplain.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:21:03
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997373
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Roald Dahl was racist, misogynistic, anti-Semitic. By all means, take all that shit out of his books.

I said i didn’t want sarah having roald dahl but her paternal grandmother bought the whole set. and then sarah loved them.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:21:52
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997374
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Roald Dahl was racist, misogynistic, anti-Semitic. By all means, take all that shit out of his books.

Sure but there wasn’t much of that stuff in his children’s books. Apparently they’re removing any use of the words “fat” and “ugly”, adding sentences here and there, changing the Oompa-Loompas into “small people” instead of “small men”, and hundreds of other seemingly pointless alterations.

https://nation.cymru/opinion/roald-dahl-dont-gobblefunk-around-with-words/

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/18/roald-dahl-books-rewritten-to-remove-language-deemed-offensive

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:22:27
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997375
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Michael V said:

Divine Angel said:

I was asked to run for P&C President, I laughed.

Why?

I left the P&C last year when I discovered how much money they give the Chaplain.

nnnn. grrr. chaplains.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:22:43
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997376
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Speaking of books, I’ve been reading House of Leaves, which is the weirdest book I’ve ever read. Here are some example pages.



Nails could do with a clipping.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:24:21
From: Michael V
ID: 1997377
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Michael V said:

Divine Angel said:

I was asked to run for P&C President, I laughed.

Why?

I left the P&C last year when I discovered how much money they give the Chaplain.

It may have given you a chance to Stop That Nonsense.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:26:15
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997378
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Disney went through a similar process some years back when deciding what to put on streaming. A lot of the stuff from the early part of the 20th century got a little warning at the front about “outdated cultural depictions”, but Song of the South didn’t make the cut and was considered to racist to be salvageable. The origin still exists, no doubt people have copies, but the company decided not to show that part of their own product any more. That’s the evolving world of art I guess.

Song of the South is out of copyright in Japan, and will be out of US copyright in 2041. Bob Iger has stated the film will never be available on Disney+, saying it’s not appropriate for today’s world. Whoopi Goldberg disagrees, saying we can look at the film critically and have open discussions about the cultural depictions therein.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:27:09
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997379
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Divine Angel said:

Roald Dahl was racist, misogynistic, anti-Semitic. By all means, take all that shit out of his books.

Sure but there wasn’t much of that stuff in his children’s books. Apparently they’re removing any use of the words “fat” and “ugly”, adding sentences here and there, changing the Oompa-Loompas into “small people” instead of “small men”, and hundreds of other seemingly pointless alterations.

https://nation.cymru/opinion/roald-dahl-dont-gobblefunk-around-with-words/

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/18/roald-dahl-books-rewritten-to-remove-language-deemed-offensive

There’s plenty of racist stuff in Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:28:11
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997380
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Divine Angel said:

Roald Dahl was racist, misogynistic, anti-Semitic. By all means, take all that shit out of his books.

Sure but there wasn’t much of that stuff in his children’s books. Apparently they’re removing any use of the words “fat” and “ugly”, adding sentences here and there, changing the Oompa-Loompas into “small people” instead of “small men”, and hundreds of other seemingly pointless alterations.

https://nation.cymru/opinion/roald-dahl-dont-gobblefunk-around-with-words/

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/18/roald-dahl-books-rewritten-to-remove-language-deemed-offensive

…Speaking as a fat man I’d much rather be referred to as “a fat man” than “an enormous person” :)

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:29:05
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997381
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m going to have a nice cup of tea and a slice of buttered carrot cake if that’s alright.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:30:06
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997382
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Divine Angel said:

Michael V said:

Why?

I left the P&C last year when I discovered how much money they give the Chaplain.

It may have given you a chance to Stop That Nonsense.

Nup. At a vote to run a pie drive to raise funds exclusively for the chaplain, I voted no. In the minutes, it was recorded as a unanimous yes. When I questioned it, the president said my hand was up, I said you specifically glared at me and asked why I didn’t put my hand up, before hearing me say I do not support this.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:30:31
From: buffy
ID: 1997383
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


I’m going to have a nice cup of tea and a slice of buttered carrot cake if that’s alright.

That should be OK. I’ve got peach slice in the fridge. But I et a large vanilla slice this morning, so just eating fruit for afternoon tea.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:31:09
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997384
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Bubblecar said:

Divine Angel said:

Roald Dahl was racist, misogynistic, anti-Semitic. By all means, take all that shit out of his books.

Sure but there wasn’t much of that stuff in his children’s books. Apparently they’re removing any use of the words “fat” and “ugly”, adding sentences here and there, changing the Oompa-Loompas into “small people” instead of “small men”, and hundreds of other seemingly pointless alterations.

https://nation.cymru/opinion/roald-dahl-dont-gobblefunk-around-with-words/

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/18/roald-dahl-books-rewritten-to-remove-language-deemed-offensive

There’s plenty of racist stuff in Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.

I daresay it’s now been removed, but again, really just in the interest of continuing to make money out of Roald Dahl, a bit like the endless reprints of Enid Blyton.

Some writers are suggesting that if his books are really considered to be that bad, it would be better to just stop publishing them, and give living writers a chance.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:32:05
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997385
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I think the first or second atomic bomb was called Fat Person.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:32:53
From: buffy
ID: 1997386
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I should probably go and check the chooks and give them their “chook muesli” – Red Hen chook food with extra wheat and corn mixed into it to make it go further. It’s an expensive chook food. They have ordinary layers pellets in the morning. Yesterday they had lettuce as well. They looove lettuce and other greens.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:33:24
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997387
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I haven’t forgiven the changes of Dick and Fanny to Rick and Frannie in the Magic Faraway Tree. I also haven’t forgiven Dahl for his rape-as-a-punchline short story collection.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:34:11
From: Cymek
ID: 1997388
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


dv said:

Disney went through a similar process some years back when deciding what to put on streaming. A lot of the stuff from the early part of the 20th century got a little warning at the front about “outdated cultural depictions”, but Song of the South didn’t make the cut and was considered to racist to be salvageable. The origin still exists, no doubt people have copies, but the company decided not to show that part of their own product any more. That’s the evolving world of art I guess.

Song of the South is out of copyright in Japan, and will be out of US copyright in 2041. Bob Iger has stated the film will never be available on Disney+, saying it’s not appropriate for today’s world. Whoopi Goldberg disagrees, saying we can look at the film critically and have open discussions about the cultural depictions therein.

See I was wondering about context today, could you use the N word or anti-Semite, etc slurs in a movie/tv show if the context is the characters are racists/fascists/etc

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:34:54
From: Cymek
ID: 1997389
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


I think the first or second atomic bomb was called Fat Person.

Fat boy

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:36:47
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997390
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Michael V said:

Divine Angel said:

I left the P&C last year when I discovered how much money they give the Chaplain.

It may have given you a chance to Stop That Nonsense.

Nup. At a vote to run a pie drive to raise funds exclusively for the chaplain, I voted no. In the minutes, it was recorded as a unanimous yes. When I questioned it, the president said my hand was up, I said you specifically glared at me and asked why I didn’t put my hand up, before hearing me say I do not support this.

oooo. i’d be pissed.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:37:49
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997391
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Divine Angel said:

dv said:

Disney went through a similar process some years back when deciding what to put on streaming. A lot of the stuff from the early part of the 20th century got a little warning at the front about “outdated cultural depictions”, but Song of the South didn’t make the cut and was considered to racist to be salvageable. The origin still exists, no doubt people have copies, but the company decided not to show that part of their own product any more. That’s the evolving world of art I guess.

Song of the South is out of copyright in Japan, and will be out of US copyright in 2041. Bob Iger has stated the film will never be available on Disney+, saying it’s not appropriate for today’s world. Whoopi Goldberg disagrees, saying we can look at the film critically and have open discussions about the cultural depictions therein.

See I was wondering about context today, could you use the N word or anti-Semite, etc slurs in a movie/tv show if the context is the characters are racists/fascists/etc

Yes. Your characters can say pretty much whatever they like.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:38:01
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997392
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


I haven’t forgiven the changes of Dick and Fanny to Rick and Frannie in the Magic Faraway Tree. I also haven’t forgiven Dahl for his rape-as-a-punchline short story collection.

I haven’t actually read much Dahl, never really warmed to him.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:38:57
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997393
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Peak Warming Man said:

I think the first or second atomic bomb was called Fat Person.

Fat boy

I think you’ll find that the intellectuals have been working their way through history with a red pen and it’s now gender neutral non binary Fat Person.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:39:21
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997394
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Divine Angel said:

Michael V said:

It may have given you a chance to Stop That Nonsense.

Nup. At a vote to run a pie drive to raise funds exclusively for the chaplain, I voted no. In the minutes, it was recorded as a unanimous yes. When I questioned it, the president said my hand was up, I said you specifically glared at me and asked why I didn’t put my hand up, before hearing me say I do not support this.

oooo. i’d be pissed.


The guy who is going for the position is also anti-chaplaincy, and even better, has the fight to do it. I don’t have the energy. As it is I have to stop myself from leaving full doggy poo bags on his doorstep (he lives down the road from me).

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:39:40
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997395
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Divine Angel said:

I haven’t forgiven the changes of Dick and Fanny to Rick and Frannie in the Magic Faraway Tree. I also haven’t forgiven Dahl for his rape-as-a-punchline short story collection.

I haven’t actually read much Dahl, never really warmed to him.


I’ve oft eaten dahl. Scrumptious stuff.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:40:12
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1997396
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Anyway I’m getting off my high horse. I should really get off the whole forum.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:40:24
From: Michael V
ID: 1997397
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Michael V said:

Divine Angel said:

I left the P&C last year when I discovered how much money they give the Chaplain.

It may have given you a chance to Stop That Nonsense.

Nup. At a vote to run a pie drive to raise funds exclusively for the chaplain, I voted no. In the minutes, it was recorded as a unanimous yes. When I questioned it, the president said my hand was up, I said you specifically glared at me and asked why I didn’t put my hand up, before hearing me say I do not support this.

Ah so lots of chaplin supporters. Bummer.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:40:54
From: Michael V
ID: 1997398
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


I’m going to have a nice cup of tea and a slice of buttered carrot cake if that’s alright.

Approved.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:42:04
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997399
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Michael V said:

Divine Angel said:

I left the P&C last year when I discovered how much money they give the Chaplain.

It may have given you a chance to Stop That Nonsense.

Nup. At a vote to run a pie drive to raise funds exclusively for the chaplain, I voted no. In the minutes, it was recorded as a unanimous yes. When I questioned it, the president said my hand was up, I said you specifically glared at me and asked why I didn’t put my hand up, before hearing me say I do not support this.

Why did they want to raise funds for somebody who already receives a generous wage?

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:42:20
From: Michael V
ID: 1997400
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


I think the first or second atomic bomb was called Fat Person.

LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:54:03
From: kii
ID: 1997401
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Received a message that Gracie Blue’s cremains and paw print are ready to be picked up from the vet’s.
I am really missing my little friend.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 16:56:17
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997402
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC EARTH 🌎 ·
Oana Bogdan · 22 h ·
He slept after 56 hours of non-stop search and found 40 people alive under the rubble. This is the Tunisian hero Husky ❤🙏

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:01:54
From: kii
ID: 1997403
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Peak Warming Man said:

I think the first or second atomic bomb was called Fat Person.

Fat boy

Over the mountains to the east of me is a museum at White Sands Missile Range. They have a Fat Man casing on display in the outdoor display.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:02:59
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997404
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC EARTH 🌎 ·
Oana Bogdan · 22 h ·
He slept after 56 hours of non-stop search and found 40 people alive under the rubble. This is the Tunisian hero Husky ❤🙏

Good dog.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:03:22
From: kii
ID: 1997405
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC EARTH 🌎 ·
Oana Bogdan · 22 h ·
He slept after 56 hours of non-stop search and found 40 people alive under the rubble. This is the Tunisian hero Husky ❤🙏

Good dog ❤

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:03:29
From: Cymek
ID: 1997406
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Cymek said:

Peak Warming Man said:

I think the first or second atomic bomb was called Fat Person.

Fat boy

Over the mountains to the east of me is a museum at White Sands Missile Range. They have a Fat Man casing on display in the outdoor display.

You’ve seen it ?

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:03:58
From: Cymek
ID: 1997407
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC EARTH 🌎 ·
Oana Bogdan · 22 h ·
He slept after 56 hours of non-stop search and found 40 people alive under the rubble. This is the Tunisian hero Husky ❤🙏

Good doggy

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:04:12
From: Michael V
ID: 1997408
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC EARTH 🌎 ·
Oana Bogdan · 22 h ·
He slept after 56 hours of non-stop search and found 40 people alive under the rubble. This is the Tunisian hero Husky ❤🙏

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:04:22
From: kii
ID: 1997409
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


kii said:

Cymek said:

Fat boy

Over the mountains to the east of me is a museum at White Sands Missile Range. They have a Fat Man casing on display in the outdoor display.

You’ve seen it ?

Many times, taken photos of it and all the other bombs and rockets etc.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:04:46
From: Michael V
ID: 1997410
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Received a message that Gracie Blue’s cremains and paw print are ready to be picked up from the vet’s.
I am really missing my little friend.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:08:18
From: Arts
ID: 1997411
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Received a message that Gracie Blue’s cremains and paw print are ready to be picked up from the vet’s.
I am really missing my little friend.

I am really sorry to hear this news, kii. I hope you are finding peaceful moments.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:09:12
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997412
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Received a message that Gracie Blue’s cremains and paw print are ready to be picked up from the vet’s.
I am really missing my little friend.

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:10:28
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997413
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Cymek said:

Divine Angel said:

Song of the South is out of copyright in Japan, and will be out of US copyright in 2041. Bob Iger has stated the film will never be available on Disney+, saying it’s not appropriate for today’s world. Whoopi Goldberg disagrees, saying we can look at the film critically and have open discussions about the cultural depictions therein.

See I was wondering about context today, could you use the N word or anti-Semite, etc slurs in a movie/tv show if the context is the characters are racists/fascists/etc

Yes. Your characters can say pretty much whatever they like.


Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:14:01
From: Arts
ID: 1997414
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Divine Angel said:

Cymek said:

See I was wondering about context today, could you use the N word or anti-Semite, etc slurs in a movie/tv show if the context is the characters are racists/fascists/etc

Yes. Your characters can say pretty much whatever they like.


I have always allowed my kid to use swear words as long as it’s in context and not gratuitous… and now as almost adults they are both terrible people as they have both received citizenship awards, and one is school council and coach of small children and the other is basketball mentor and all round good guy…

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:22:30
From: Woodie
ID: 1997415
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Divine Angel said:

Roald Dahl was racist, misogynistic, anti-Semitic. By all means, take all that shit out of his books.

Sure but there wasn’t much of that stuff in his children’s books. Apparently they’re removing any use of the words “fat” and “ugly”, adding sentences here and there, changing the Oompa-Loompas into “small people” instead of “small men”, and hundreds of other seemingly pointless alterations.

https://nation.cymru/opinion/roald-dahl-dont-gobblefunk-around-with-words/

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/18/roald-dahl-books-rewritten-to-remove-language-deemed-offensive

…Speaking as a fat man I’d much rather be referred to as “a fat man” than “an enormous person” :)

How about “rather rotund” or “with a fuller figure”.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:24:08
From: kii
ID: 1997416
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


kii said:

Received a message that Gracie Blue’s cremains and paw print are ready to be picked up from the vet’s.
I am really missing my little friend.

I am really sorry to hear this news, kii. I hope you are finding peaceful moments.

It’s truly the absolute shitiest thing to have happened. The cat is keeping me company and enjoying the extra space, Grace would often stick her nose in Sally’s börthølę. So that’s a nice change for her I suppose.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:31:38
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1997417
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Divine Angel said:

Roald Dahl was racist, misogynistic, anti-Semitic. By all means, take all that shit out of his books.

Sure but there wasn’t much of that stuff in his children’s books. Apparently they’re removing any use of the words “fat” and “ugly”, adding sentences here and there, changing the Oompa-Loompas into “small people” instead of “small men”, and hundreds of other seemingly pointless alterations.

https://nation.cymru/opinion/roald-dahl-dont-gobblefunk-around-with-words/

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/18/roald-dahl-books-rewritten-to-remove-language-deemed-offensive

…Speaking as a fat man I’d much rather be referred to as “a fat man” than “an enormous person” :)

Me too!

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:36:04
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1997418
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Sure but there wasn’t much of that stuff in his children’s books. Apparently they’re removing any use of the words “fat” and “ugly”, adding sentences here and there, changing the Oompa-Loompas into “small people” instead of “small men”, and hundreds of other seemingly pointless alterations.

https://nation.cymru/opinion/roald-dahl-dont-gobblefunk-around-with-words/

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/18/roald-dahl-books-rewritten-to-remove-language-deemed-offensive

…Speaking as a fat man I’d much rather be referred to as “a fat man” than “an enormous person” :)

How about “rather rotund” or “with a fuller figure”.

I could wear those descriptors, too.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:46:39
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997419
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Thinking tonight I’ll just do a plate of fresh green beans and brocolli, served with a little garlic butter.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:52:12
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1997420
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

LOL

Morrisons: “Availability across our tomato range has been significantly impacted by adverse weather conditions across Spain and Morocco. The current shortage is likely to improve within a couple of weeks.”

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:53:40
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997421
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Thinking tonight I’ll just do a plate of fresh green beans and brocolli, served with a little garlic butter.

That’s hardly enough for a growing enormous person.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 17:54:52
From: buffy
ID: 1997422
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Thinking tonight I’ll just do a plate of fresh green beans and brocolli, served with a little garlic butter.

I’ve just prepared some chicken thigh fillets (tossed in a little corn flour) in preparation for wokking them with some onion and then serving them with a commercial satay sauce. Trying a different brand – wasn’t impressed with Ayam. Giving Yeo’s a go tonight.

I usually make my own, but I’m seeing if the people who should know can make a better one. I suspect I’m going back to making my own.

There will also be a plate of mixed wokked veggies, dressed with a little dark soy sauce.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 18:02:19
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997423
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Bubblecar said:

Thinking tonight I’ll just do a plate of fresh green beans and brocolli, served with a little garlic butter.

I’ve just prepared some chicken thigh fillets (tossed in a little corn flour) in preparation for wokking them with some onion and then serving them with a commercial satay sauce. Trying a different brand – wasn’t impressed with Ayam. Giving Yeo’s a go tonight.

I usually make my own, but I’m seeing if the people who should know can make a better one. I suspect I’m going back to making my own.

There will also be a plate of mixed wokked veggies, dressed with a little dark soy sauce.

Fish and chips tonight, a serving of whiting fillets in batter, washed down with a popular cola.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 18:05:11
From: buffy
ID: 1997424
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


buffy said:

Bubblecar said:

Thinking tonight I’ll just do a plate of fresh green beans and brocolli, served with a little garlic butter.

I’ve just prepared some chicken thigh fillets (tossed in a little corn flour) in preparation for wokking them with some onion and then serving them with a commercial satay sauce. Trying a different brand – wasn’t impressed with Ayam. Giving Yeo’s a go tonight.

I usually make my own, but I’m seeing if the people who should know can make a better one. I suspect I’m going back to making my own.

There will also be a plate of mixed wokked veggies, dressed with a little dark soy sauce.

Fish and chips tonight, a serving of whiting fillets in batter, washed down with a popular cola.

I had butterfish from the fish and chippery last night. But I didn’t feel like chips so I nipped into the IGA and got a serve of pasta salad. I only et half of it. Might finish it for breakfast tomorrow.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 18:08:45
From: OCDC
ID: 1997426
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Youse are all talking about food I cannot eat and it’s making me sad. I could really go proper F&C from my local with a very large popular cola.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 18:11:01
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1997427
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:

Youse are all talking about food I cannot eat

well yes that’s because nobody else can eat it either

… at least not in the UK apparently

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 18:11:08
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997428
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


Youse are all talking about food I cannot eat and it’s making me sad. I could really go proper F&C from my local with a very large popular cola.

You used to be able to eat.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 18:11:40
From: OCDC
ID: 1997429
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I rarely crave carbs but my minion has taken to eating two minute noodles for brekky at work and the cravings are bad.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 18:12:14
From: OCDC
ID: 1997430
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


OCDC said:

Youse are all talking about food I cannot eat and it’s making me sad. I could really go proper F&C from my local with a very large popular cola.

You used to be able to eat.


IKR

But now I am old and desperate.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 18:12:53
From: Michael V
ID: 1997431
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


Youse are all talking about food I cannot eat and it’s making me sad. I could really go proper F&C from my local with a very large popular cola.

What can’t you eat?

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 18:18:55
From: OCDC
ID: 1997433
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


OCDC said:

Youse are all talking about food I cannot eat and it’s making me sad. I could really go proper F&C from my local with a very large popular cola.

What can’t you eat?


Carbs (keto is helping migraines), FODMAPs (IBS that leads to days off work), salicylates (pash rash without having pashed), nickel (v itchy rash). So I can eat meat and lettuce. Consequently I have lost a lot of weight.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 18:48:16
From: Michael V
ID: 1997436
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


Michael V said:

OCDC said:

Youse are all talking about food I cannot eat and it’s making me sad. I could really go proper F&C from my local with a very large popular cola.

What can’t you eat?


Carbs (keto is helping migraines), FODMAPs (IBS that leads to days off work), salicylates (pash rash without having pashed), nickel (v itchy rash). So I can eat meat and lettuce. Consequently I have lost a lot of weight.

Bugger.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 18:52:46
From: buffy
ID: 1997438
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Bubblecar said:

Thinking tonight I’ll just do a plate of fresh green beans and brocolli, served with a little garlic butter.

I’ve just prepared some chicken thigh fillets (tossed in a little corn flour) in preparation for wokking them with some onion and then serving them with a commercial satay sauce. Trying a different brand – wasn’t impressed with Ayam. Giving Yeo’s a go tonight.

I usually make my own, but I’m seeing if the people who should know can make a better one. I suspect I’m going back to making my own.

There will also be a plate of mixed wokked veggies, dressed with a little dark soy sauce.

Yep, that stuff is nice. Just the right amount of chili hot. Will buy again.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 19:18:07
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1997441
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

TPN

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 19:22:37
From: OCDC
ID: 1997443
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


TPN

I’ve considered it.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 19:26:00
From: transition
ID: 1997445
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

lots thirsty birds out there, butcherbird just in the yard now, turned fence sprinklers on for, cheered it talks to me in butcherbirdese

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 19:31:12
From: buffy
ID: 1997450
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


lots thirsty birds out there, butcherbird just in the yard now, turned fence sprinklers on for, cheered it talks to me in butcherbirdese

It didn’t feel too hot here today, it got to 30ish, I think. I had a couple of low use sprinklers on for the birds. The fire siren went off this afternoon, for a bit of waste ground in town. Don’t know what it was. Might have been some “person” setting fire to a pile of garden prunings. People do silly things like that.

I’ve filled the bird water dishes for tomorrow and the dog paddling pool. We’ve got to go into Hamilton again first thing to pick up the rideon mower, which has had a service. The place opens at 8.30 I think, so we’ll get there and get back.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 19:34:13
From: transition
ID: 1997452
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


lots thirsty birds out there, butcherbird just in the yard now, turned fence sprinklers on for, cheered it talks to me in butcherbirdese

tern is thirsty

at least ten herons over there, feeling heat also

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 19:41:23
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1997453
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

men, typical

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-22/spainish-rail-head-resigns-over-trains-too-wide-for-tunnels/102010680

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 19:53:24
From: OCDC
ID: 1997455
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

men, typical

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-22/spainish-rail-head-resigns-over-trains-too-wide-for-tunnels/102010680


“Spainish”

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 19:54:43
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997456
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


SCIENCE said:

men, typical

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-22/spainish-rail-head-resigns-over-trains-too-wide-for-tunnels/102010680


“Spainish”

Spain-like.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 19:58:09
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997458
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Thinking tonight I’ll just do a plate of fresh green beans and brocolli, served with a little garlic butter.

Greens were delicious but as PWM opined, not quite enough. So I followed that course with a small bowl of prunes and yoghurt.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 20:43:43
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997461
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

i was talking to my sister on the phone and she said that everyone knew that was a bad beach for rips.
i replied ‘do you remember when we were all caught in that rip at one mile beach? we all knew that was a dangerous beach. yeah I get that peter and phil were experienced lifesavers. but I wasn’t. everyone knew I was shithouse swimmer. and yet i was the last one pulled out.’

I’m glad I got whatever swimming badge it was that said i could tread water for 15 minutes.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 20:44:46
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997462
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


i was talking to my sister on the phone and she said that everyone knew that was a bad beach for rips.
i replied ‘do you remember when we were all caught in that rip at one mile beach? we all knew that was a dangerous beach. yeah I get that peter and phil were experienced lifesavers. but I wasn’t. everyone knew I was shithouse swimmer. and yet i was the last one pulled out.’

I’m glad I got whatever swimming badge it was that said i could tread water for 15 minutes.

alison and dad got pulled out first. Dad was a strong man and good swimmer. alison had a bronze medallion.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 20:48:23
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997463
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


OCDC said:

SCIENCE said:

men, typical

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-22/spainish-rail-head-resigns-over-trains-too-wide-for-tunnels/102010680


“Spainish”

Spain-like.

Without necessarily being Spanish. Just sort of like it.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 21:12:36
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997468
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 21:15:50
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997469
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Parliament of NSW
Sponsored · Paid for by NSW Parliament ·
Fit for a princess, but worn by a lucky member of the public.
Part of the Parliament’s collection of historical treasures, this Waratah Princess crown was once worn by a ‘princess’ selected annually from the lunch-hour crowds in Sydney’s Hyde Park.
The annual festival celebrated Sydney in springtime and ran for 18 years from 1956 to 1973.
The waratah just missed out on being named the floral emblem of Australia soon after Federation. Instead, it was declared New South Wales’ floral emblem by the Governor in 1962 and is even enshrined in an act of NSW Parliament passed in 2004 – the Arms, Symbols and Emblems Act 2004 (NSW).
NSW Parliament holds the Waratah Princess crown in its collection, celebrating NSW cultural heritage. Jewellery designer Elizabeth Reimer designed this crown in 1963.

—-

interesting. but i wonder why it is being paid to be on facebook and why the algorithms decided why it should be on my page.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 21:17:19
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997471
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Here’s your prints I gave Anna framed and hung, sarahs mum :)

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 21:18:52
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997472
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



Ta.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 21:22:04
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997473
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Here’s your prints I gave Anna framed and hung, sarahs mum :)


Nice. they do look like they are at home there.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 21:28:28
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997475
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



Cow’s milk, yeah; goat’s milk, okay; even camel’s milk and perhaps even horse’s milk.

But Viking milk?

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 21:30:03
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997476
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The chap with the top hat and lantern would be a hotel doorman or porter, i expect?

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 21:33:41
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997477
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


The chap with the top hat and lantern would be a hotel doorman or porter, i expect?

i thought he might go in the same folder as the other tradies i posted for mr car tother night.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 21:35:35
From: furious
ID: 1997479
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


sarahs mum said:


Cow’s milk, yeah; goat’s milk, okay; even camel’s milk and perhaps even horse’s milk.

But Viking milk?

Well, Nestles milk appears to come from a cat…

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 21:40:29
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997480
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


The chap with the top hat and lantern would be a hotel doorman or porter, i expect?

A bloke I knew who landed a job as a doorman when he went to London told me it was a goldmine.
He worked at The Ritz or the Dorchester or some such, the base pay was pretty ordinary but the clientele were captains of industry or Arab oil sheiks who had no knowledge of the value of money and would tip with a 100 pound notes. and all tax free.
It was a very nice little earner indeed.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 21:43:16
From: ms spock
ID: 1997481
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ms spock said:

Thank you so much! This was information I had no idea about.

That sounds like such a satisfying job to be doing!

It was a good job, a bit harrying and even hair-raising at times, and you had to be versatile, ready to help out however was needed.

I recall keeping a lass 8 years old amused while her parent had a long discussion with the therapist. We played cards (blackjack) and if we’d been playing for money, she would have taken me to the cleaners.

:) That sounds like a wonderful experience!

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 21:55:21
From: ms spock
ID: 1997483
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Michael V said:

Divine Angel said:

I was asked to run for P&C President, I laughed.

Why?

I left the P&C last year when I discovered how much money they give the Chaplain.

That money should be spent on having a psychologist for every school!

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 21:57:18
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997484
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Divine Angel said:

Michael V said:

Why?

I left the P&C last year when I discovered how much money they give the Chaplain.

That money should be spent on having a psychologist for every school!

Teacher shortage and we are paying chaplains.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 21:58:39
From: ms spock
ID: 1997485
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Received a message that Gracie Blue’s cremains and paw print are ready to be picked up from the vet’s.
I am really missing my little friend.

:(

Ta bron orm! I am sorry!

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 22:02:31
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997486
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Putting our food and farmers at risk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5×9EKY64Ss

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 22:03:18
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1997487
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:

ms spock said:

Divine Angel said:

I left the P&C last year when I discovered how much money they give the Chaplain.

That money should be spent on having a psychologist for every school!

Teacher shortage and we are paying chaplains.

Religion Is Not A Racket

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 22:06:23
From: transition
ID: 1997490
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

fence sprinklers going, cool inner yard down

it’s unusual for me to need light entertainment of TV for distraction, but tonight I do

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 22:12:16
From: transition
ID: 1997491
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Putting our food and farmers at risk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5×9EKY64Ss

says that video isn’t available anymore, for me anyway

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 22:12:49
From: transition
ID: 1997492
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


sarahs mum said:

Putting our food and farmers at risk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5×9EKY64Ss

says that video isn’t available anymore, for me anyway

definitely the entire address…

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 22:13:41
From: transition
ID: 1997493
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


transition said:

sarahs mum said:

Putting our food and farmers at risk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5×9EKY64Ss

says that video isn’t available anymore, for me anyway

definitely the entire address…

tried again, works now

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 22:14:26
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997494
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


sarahs mum said:

Putting our food and farmers at risk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5×9EKY64Ss

says that video isn’t available anymore, for me anyway

its got an x in it.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 22:17:27
From: transition
ID: 1997495
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


transition said:

sarahs mum said:

Putting our food and farmers at risk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5×9EKY64Ss

says that video isn’t available anymore, for me anyway

its got an x in it.

yeah sees that, my browser or whatever worked something out the last time, some magic

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 22:32:24
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997496
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


transition said:

transition said:

says that video isn’t available anymore, for me anyway

definitely the entire address…

tried again, works now

it sucks when 97% of people can be against something and it still happens. makes the whole democracy thing farcical.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 22:35:49
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1997497
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


sarahs mum said:

transition said:

says that video isn’t available anymore, for me anyway

its got an x in it.

yeah sees that, my browser or whatever worked something out the last time, some magic

forum software

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 22:37:04
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1997498
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:

transition said:

sarahs mum said:

Putting our food and farmers at risk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5×9EKY64Ss

says that video isn’t available anymore, for me anyway

definitely the entire address…

remember to use the

"label":link

motif

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 22:38:36
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1997499
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:

transition said:

transition said:

definitely the entire address…

tried again, works now

it sucks when 97% of people can be against something and it still happens. makes the whole democracy thing farcical.

we thought it was always just a way to blame shift

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 22:41:54
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997500
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


transition said:

transition said:

definitely the entire address…

tried again, works now

it sucks when 97% of people can be against something and it still happens. makes the whole democracy thing farcical.

Tasmania is being told the only way they can have a football team in the national comp is to build an oversized eyesore in the city proper. Almost all the submissions are against it. including those who like football.

Why can’t we have a football team? why do we have to keep exporting players to Victoria? I don’t like football but i really don’t like this demanding exclusive shittery.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 22:48:06
From: party_pants
ID: 1997501
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

transition said:

tried again, works now

it sucks when 97% of people can be against something and it still happens. makes the whole democracy thing farcical.

Tasmania is being told the only way they can have a football team in the national comp is to build an oversized eyesore in the city proper. Almost all the submissions are against it. including those who like football.

Why can’t we have a football team? why do we have to keep exporting players to Victoria? I don’t like football but i really don’t like this demanding exclusive shittery.

I haven’t been following it closely, but I think they want a stadium of a certain minimum seating capacity to get a decent crowd to turn up to the matches. Apparently the cricket stadium is too small and can’t/won’t be redeveloped into footy stadium. Therefore the plan is to build a new stadium.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 22:50:20
From: ms spock
ID: 1997502
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m always torn whether views like this should ignored to avoid giving a tiny minority publicity, or seen more widely as a warning. This man is running for the NSW upper house.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 23:01:29
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997504
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:

it sucks when 97% of people can be against something and it still happens. makes the whole democracy thing farcical.

Tasmania is being told the only way they can have a football team in the national comp is to build an oversized eyesore in the city proper. Almost all the submissions are against it. including those who like football.

Why can’t we have a football team? why do we have to keep exporting players to Victoria? I don’t like football but i really don’t like this demanding exclusive shittery.

I haven’t been following it closely, but I think they want a stadium of a certain minimum seating capacity to get a decent crowd to turn up to the matches. Apparently the cricket stadium is too small and can’t/won’t be redeveloped into footy stadium. Therefore the plan is to build a new stadium.

A stadium of a minimum seating capacity doesn’t actually have to be built in the centre of the city. but that is the demand.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/02/2023 23:04:19
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997505
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

I’m always torn whether views like this should ignored to avoid giving a tiny minority publicity, or seen more widely as a warning. This man is running for the NSW upper house.

I think DV posted this.

it’s shit. i hope he gets no votes.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 00:06:06
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1997512
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

TYL

“The ascending colon … turns sinistrad.”
D.R. Khanna & P.R. Yadav; Biology of Mammals; Discovery; 2005.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 00:20:15
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1997516
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Around 600,000 bolts of lightning sizzled across WA skies yesterday, many of which sparked bushfires across the State.

Crews were battling intense conditions as severe thunderstorms bore down, bringing damaging gusty winds to the firegrounds for several hours. Hopetoun recorded the highest temp in the State, hitting 44.9 degrees and Southern Cross Airfield clocked a wind gust of 111 km/hour yesterday afternoon, as both towns had multiple fires ignited around them.

We currently have 58 active incidents across the State, including 3 Bushfire Watch and Acts and 6 Bushfire Advices. While milder conditions today are giving firefighters an opportunity to get the upper hand, thunderstorm activity is still zapping across Goldfields Midlands and Great Southern.

Thank you to the hundreds of personnel, career and volunteer firefighters, SES volunteers and support crews from DFES, local governments, Parks and Wildlife Service, local farmers and Western Australia Police Force who are all pitching in to protect their fellow West Aussies.

Not a lot of rain is expected to reach the ground until tomorrow, so if you’re in the area make sure your bushfire plan is ready to go.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 00:21:43
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1997517
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Around 600,000 bolts of lightning sizzled across WA skies yesterday, many of which sparked bushfires across the State.

Crews were battling intense conditions as severe thunderstorms bore down, bringing damaging gusty winds to the firegrounds for several hours. Hopetoun recorded the highest temp in the State, hitting 44.9 degrees and Southern Cross Airfield clocked a wind gust of 111 km/hour yesterday afternoon, as both towns had multiple fires ignited around them.

We currently have 58 active incidents across the State, including 3 Bushfire Watch and Acts and 6 Bushfire Advices. While milder conditions today are giving firefighters an opportunity to get the upper hand, thunderstorm activity is still zapping across Goldfields Midlands and Great Southern.

Thank you to the hundreds of personnel, career and volunteer firefighters, SES volunteers and support crews from DFES, local governments, Parks and Wildlife Service, local farmers and Western Australia Police Force who are all pitching in to protect their fellow West Aussies.

Not a lot of rain is expected to reach the ground until tomorrow, so if you’re in the area make sure your bushfire plan is ready to go.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 00:26:29
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997520
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Around 600,000 bolts of lightning sizzled across WA skies yesterday, many of which sparked bushfires across the State.

Crews were battling intense conditions as severe thunderstorms bore down, bringing damaging gusty winds to the firegrounds for several hours. Hopetoun recorded the highest temp in the State, hitting 44.9 degrees and Southern Cross Airfield clocked a wind gust of 111 km/hour yesterday afternoon, as both towns had multiple fires ignited around them.

We currently have 58 active incidents across the State, including 3 Bushfire Watch and Acts and 6 Bushfire Advices. While milder conditions today are giving firefighters an opportunity to get the upper hand, thunderstorm activity is still zapping across Goldfields Midlands and Great Southern.

Thank you to the hundreds of personnel, career and volunteer firefighters, SES volunteers and support crews from DFES, local governments, Parks and Wildlife Service, local farmers and Western Australia Police Force who are all pitching in to protect their fellow West Aussies.

Not a lot of rain is expected to reach the ground until tomorrow, so if you’re in the area make sure your bushfire plan is ready to go.

wow!

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 00:59:12
From: Kingy
ID: 1997526
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Around 600,000 bolts of lightning sizzled across WA skies yesterday, many of which sparked bushfires across the State.

Crews were battling intense conditions as severe thunderstorms bore down, bringing damaging gusty winds to the firegrounds for several hours. Hopetoun recorded the highest temp in the State, hitting 44.9 degrees and Southern Cross Airfield clocked a wind gust of 111 km/hour yesterday afternoon, as both towns had multiple fires ignited around them.

We currently have 58 active incidents across the State, including 3 Bushfire Watch and Acts and 6 Bushfire Advices. While milder conditions today are giving firefighters an opportunity to get the upper hand, thunderstorm activity is still zapping across Goldfields Midlands and Great Southern.

Thank you to the hundreds of personnel, career and volunteer firefighters, SES volunteers and support crews from DFES, local governments, Parks and Wildlife Service, local farmers and Western Australia Police Force who are all pitching in to protect their fellow West Aussies.

Not a lot of rain is expected to reach the ground until tomorrow, so if you’re in the area make sure your bushfire plan is ready to go.

We got stood down at 10am this morning. Based on the last few times we went to Esperance, it was a full days driving(800km), and a nights sleep before we could even drive to the fireground. These fires are “only” around 600km away, and there is a cool change currently making it’s way there.

I also notice that there are a couple of LAT’s just landed in Kalgoorlie from over East.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 03:02:31
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1997537
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Around 600,000 bolts of lightning sizzled across WA skies yesterday, many of which sparked bushfires across the State.

Crews were battling intense conditions as severe thunderstorms bore down, bringing damaging gusty winds to the firegrounds for several hours. Hopetoun recorded the highest temp in the State, hitting 44.9 degrees and Southern Cross Airfield clocked a wind gust of 111 km/hour yesterday afternoon, as both towns had multiple fires ignited around them.

We currently have 58 active incidents across the State, including 3 Bushfire Watch and Acts and 6 Bushfire Advices. While milder conditions today are giving firefighters an opportunity to get the upper hand, thunderstorm activity is still zapping across Goldfields Midlands and Great Southern.

Thank you to the hundreds of personnel, career and volunteer firefighters, SES volunteers and support crews from DFES, local governments, Parks and Wildlife Service, local farmers and Western Australia Police Force who are all pitching in to protect their fellow West Aussies.

Not a lot of rain is expected to reach the ground until tomorrow, so if you’re in the area make sure your bushfire plan is ready to go.

It was 44 degrees C in Esperance yesterday and to make it worse, the lightning turned off the power everywhere for a considerable period, which in my case was over 30 hours and right through the 44 degree day and overnight. Fortunately, we had a number of heavy rainfalls that wet the ground before most of the lightning came through to reduce the risk of bushfire which was a relief. However, a rotten day with no relief from the heat.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 05:01:08
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997542
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Sidewalks in New York City are absolutely covered in bacteria from dog poop. That’s the not-altogether-surprising finding of a new study, which also makes one very clear recommendation to residents.

“Taking your shoes off is a no-brainer,” first author Alessandra Leri told Gothamist. “Shoe soles are disgusting.”

Leri, along with colleague Marjan Khan at Marymount Manhattan College, set out to perform what they describe as “the first comprehensive study of how bacteria from widespread faecal contamination enters the indoor environment in New York City.”

They used a technique normally employed for testing water quality, measuring the concentration of bacteria in the genus Enterococcus as well as fecal coliforms. Samples were taken from the floor surfaces inside a school building, the shoe soles of the building’s occupants, and the sidewalks outside.

In Leri’s words, the outdoor sample collection involved “a lot of crouching on the sidewalk with sterile pipettes.” Indoors, they used sticky tape to sample various carpeted and uncarpeted floors, and rinsed bacteria from the soles of willing volunteers using sterile liquid. The collected bacteria were cultured in the lab, feasting on fluorescent compounds that would allow them to be visualized under the microscope.

The average Enterococcus count in samples of rainwater from the city sidewalks was 31,000 per 100 milliliters – that was despite the fact that the researchers were careful to choose areas that didn’t look visibly contaminated. “The has a benchmark that cities use to close beaches and that benchmark is 110 cells for 100 milliliters of water,” noted Leri, speaking to CBS. Clearly, no one is going swimming in puddles, but it’s still an indicator of just how much bacterial contamination is out there.

Indoors, the concentrations of fecal bacteria were positively correlated with the level of foot traffic in each area. Carpets also harbored more bacteria in general than hard floors. The researchers also found evidence of fecal bacteria on shoe soles, noting that this was consistent with previous studies that have reported microbial contamination of shoes in hospitals and other settings.

Dog ownership has skyrocketed in New York City since the start of the pandemic. Despite fines of $250 for those found guilty of failing to clean up after their pups, one resident told the New York Post that dog poop “just seems like it’s everywhere. It’s not great seeing piles of it. You’re always kind of dodging on the sidewalk.”

For Leri and Khan, there’s one obvious way to stop unwanted microbial hangers-on at the door. “Removing shoes inside the home is likely the simplest strategy to prevent dispersion of faecal bacteria within the residential environment,” they write.

https://www.iflscience.com/there-s-something-rampant-on-new-york-sidewalks-scientists-warn-67650

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 06:18:54
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1997544
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 06:49:19
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1997545
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Archery Found in Europe Thousands of Years Earlier Than Expected

A new study published in Science Advances contextualizes the traditions and technological knowledge of early, pioneering Homo sapiens. The study demonstrates the mastery of archery by modern populations and extends the evidence of archery in Europe back by about 40,000 years.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 06:55:08
From: buffy
ID: 1997546
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 17 degrees and the sky in the East is orangey. We are forecast a mostly sunny 35 today.

A quick run into Hamilton early with the trailer to pick up the rideon after servicing and I’ve got a couple of patient reports to do in the hot bit of the day this afternoon. Not much outside stuff will get done today.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 07:05:48
From: ms spock
ID: 1997547
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dia daoich (Hello Earthlings)

Overcast might be able to get somethingds done in the garden today.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 07:19:55
From: buffy
ID: 1997549
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Photo put onto iNaturalist taken yesterday at Seaford beach (Melbourne). The comment from the contributor is that there were hundreds and hundreds of them. Conical moon snail. These are the egg bundles.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 07:23:24
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997550
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Photo put onto iNaturalist taken yesterday at Seaford beach (Melbourne). The comment from the contributor is that there were hundreds and hundreds of them. Conical moon snail. These are the egg bundles.


Used to chuck those at each other during seaside visits in my naughty childhood.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 07:26:00
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997551
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

We have 26 followed by two awful days of 31.

Art, music and an exercise session are scheduled for today.

This morning’s eggmess will consist of: onion, garlic butter (it has to be used up), corn kernels, spinach, parsley, egg.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 07:40:55
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1997552
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Archery Found in Europe Thousands of Years Earlier Than Expected

A new study published in Science Advances contextualizes the traditions and technological knowledge of early, pioneering Homo sapiens. The study demonstrates the mastery of archery by modern populations and extends the evidence of archery in Europe back by about 40,000 years.

more…

Interesting article.

I wonder if it was spear throwing that inspired the bow and arrow ?

The only remnants of such early archery were the flints, everything else was perishable.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 07:41:35
From: Michael V
ID: 1997553
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Photo put onto iNaturalist taken yesterday at Seaford beach (Melbourne). The comment from the contributor is that there were hundreds and hundreds of them. Conical moon snail. These are the egg bundles.


Thanks. When I go crabbing with the bloke down the street, we often see these in the crab pots.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 07:46:06
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997554
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

I’m always torn whether views like this should ignored to avoid giving a tiny minority publicity, or seen more widely as a warning. This man is running for the NSW upper house.

I think DV posted this.

it’s shit. i hope he gets no votes.

This is definitely a case of don’t vote by putting every number in. Because if you number everyone, he is going to get a vote.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 08:02:48
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1997557
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Around 600,000 bolts of lightning sizzled across WA skies yesterday, many of which sparked bushfires across the State.

Crews were battling intense conditions as severe thunderstorms bore down, bringing damaging gusty winds to the firegrounds for several hours. Hopetoun recorded the highest temp in the State, hitting 44.9 degrees and Southern Cross Airfield clocked a wind gust of 111 km/hour yesterday afternoon, as both towns had multiple fires ignited around them.

We currently have 58 active incidents across the State, including 3 Bushfire Watch and Acts and 6 Bushfire Advices. While milder conditions today are giving firefighters an opportunity to get the upper hand, thunderstorm activity is still zapping across Goldfields Midlands and Great Southern.

Thank you to the hundreds of personnel, career and volunteer firefighters, SES volunteers and support crews from DFES, local governments, Parks and Wildlife Service, local farmers and Western Australia Police Force who are all pitching in to protect their fellow West Aussies.

Not a lot of rain is expected to reach the ground until tomorrow, so if you’re in the area make sure your bushfire plan is ready to go.

We got stood down at 10am this morning. Based on the last few times we went to Esperance, it was a full days driving(800km), and a nights sleep before we could even drive to the fireground. These fires are “only” around 600km away, and there is a cool change currently making it’s way there.

I also notice that there are a couple of LAT’s just landed in Kalgoorlie from over East.

got up this morning to a very light rain falling.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 08:50:02
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1997559
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

ms spock said:

I’m always torn whether views like this should ignored to avoid giving a tiny minority publicity, or seen more widely as a warning. This man is running for the NSW upper house.

I think DV posted this.

it’s shit. i hope he gets no votes.

This is definitely a case of don’t vote by putting every number in. Because if you number everyone, he is going to get a vote.

I’m pretty sure that’s wrong.

If you place someone last, they will never get that vote.

If you rely on someone else’s distribution, they may get your vote.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 09:20:06
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1997560
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:

roughbarked said:

sarahs mum said:

I think DV posted this.

it’s shit. i hope he gets no votes.

This is definitely a case of don’t vote by putting every number in. Because if you number everyone, he is going to get a vote.

I’m pretty sure that’s wrong.

If you place someone last, they will never get that vote.

If you rely on someone else’s distribution, they may get your vote.

so what y’al’r’ sayin’ is informal

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 09:20:26
From: transition
ID: 1997561
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

coffeein’ hears noisy galahs
wind just kicking up
northerly hot one forecasted
I tilts my coffee cup
maybe 16% did just glanced
84% full empty nah
now a walk water few plants

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 09:32:42
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997564
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


coffeein’ hears noisy galahs
wind just kicking up
northerly hot one forecasted
I tilts my coffee cup
maybe 16% did just glanced
84% full empty nah
now a walk water few plants

Having a cup of coffee this end too, fairly weak ‘cos there wasn’t much left in the coffee canister.

Then I’m having a productive session in the art studio, or as they say in Swahili: Kisha nitakuwa na kikao chenye tija katika studio ya sanaa.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 10:09:56
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1997565
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

roughbarked said:

This is definitely a case of don’t vote by putting every number in. Because if you number everyone, he is going to get a vote.

I’m pretty sure that’s wrong.

If you place someone last, they will never get that vote.

If you rely on someone else’s distribution, they may get your vote.

so what y’al’r’ sayin’ is informal

?

I’m saying if you don’t want someone to get your vote, then number all candidates and place them last.

I suppose you can vote informal if you think everyone is equally bad and you don’t want to vote for any of them, but that increases the chance of the person you would otherwise have voted last.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 10:14:19
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1997566
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:

SCIENCE said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

I’m pretty sure that’s wrong.

If you place someone last, they will never get that vote.

If you rely on someone else’s distribution, they may get your vote.

so what y’al’r’ sayin’ is informal

?

I’m saying if you don’t want someone to get your vote, then number all candidates and place them last.

I suppose you can vote informal if you think everyone is equally bad and you don’t want to vote for any of them, but that increases the chance of the person you would otherwise have voted last.

all we’re sayin’ is, depends on whether one thinks getting votes is more important or getting elected is

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 10:18:20
From: Ian
ID: 1997567
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


buffy said:

Photo put onto iNaturalist taken yesterday at Seaford beach (Melbourne). The comment from the contributor is that there were hundreds and hundreds of them. Conical moon snail. These are the egg bundles.


Used to chuck those at each other during seaside visits in my naughty childhood.

Yeah. My brothers and I used to fling the things at each other.. find heaps of them on the tidal flats of the Broadwater.

Always wondered what they were.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 10:39:30
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997569
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 10:39:37
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1997570
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Physicists give the first law of thermodynamics a makeover

Paul Cassak, professor and associate director of the Center for KINETIC Plasma Physics, and graduate research assistant Hasan Barbhuiya, both in the Department of Physics and Astronomy, are studying how energy gets converted in superheated plasmas in space.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 11:11:59
From: Michael V
ID: 1997575
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



Yes. Agree.

We really do need to encourage the eating of horse meat (and camel, too). Many cultures have no problems with that.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 11:13:34
From: Cymek
ID: 1997577
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Greetings

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 11:14:55
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997578
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning pilgrims, it’s cool and overcast in the pearl of the south specific today.
Over.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 11:25:52
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997592
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Longford GP called. They booked me a phone appointment with Dr Walker for next Wednesday to discuss the histology results, so presumably it’s nothing urgent.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 11:27:15
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997594
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Longford GP called. They booked me a phone appointment with Dr Walker for next Wednesday to discuss the histology results, so presumably it’s nothing urgent.

good. and thank you for reminding me to book an appointment.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 11:30:06
From: Cymek
ID: 1997599
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Longford GP called. They booked me a phone appointment with Dr Walker for next Wednesday to discuss the histology results, so presumably it’s nothing urgent.

I imagine if it was urgent it would have been with Dr Runner

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 11:31:27
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997600
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Bubblecar said:

Longford GP called. They booked me a phone appointment with Dr Walker for next Wednesday to discuss the histology results, so presumably it’s nothing urgent.

I imagine if it was urgent it would have been with Dr Runner

Dear oh dear.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 11:32:34
From: Tamb
ID: 1997601
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Bubblecar said:

Longford GP called. They booked me a phone appointment with Dr Walker for next Wednesday to discuss the histology results, so presumably it’s nothing urgent.

I imagine if it was urgent it would have been with Dr Runner


Either that or there’s no point in hurrying.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 11:35:09
From: Cymek
ID: 1997602
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Cymek said:

Bubblecar said:

Longford GP called. They booked me a phone appointment with Dr Walker for next Wednesday to discuss the histology results, so presumably it’s nothing urgent.

I imagine if it was urgent it would have been with Dr Runner

Dear oh dear.

Yeah it was bad wasn’t it

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 11:35:47
From: Cymek
ID: 1997603
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Cymek said:

Bubblecar said:

Longford GP called. They booked me a phone appointment with Dr Walker for next Wednesday to discuss the histology results, so presumably it’s nothing urgent.

I imagine if it was urgent it would have been with Dr Runner


Either that or there’s no point in hurrying.

True then it would have been with Doctor Getyouraffairsintoorder

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 11:35:49
From: Michael V
ID: 1997604
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

Longford GP called. They booked me a phone appointment with Dr Walker for next Wednesday to discuss the histology results, so presumably it’s nothing urgent.

good. and thank you for reminding me to book an appointment.

No worries.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 11:40:22
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997607
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Tamb said:

Cymek said:

I imagine if it was urgent it would have been with Dr Runner


Either that or there’s no point in hurrying.

True then it would have been with Doctor Getyouraffairsintoorder

Could have been with Dr. Wills ( as in ‘have you made one?’).

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 11:55:09
From: kii
ID: 1997610
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A difficult night for sleeping last night, brain was galloping around.
A dreadfully windy day. Something is loose on the roof.
Gracie Blue’s ashes and memorial paw print arrived. With a pamphlet on grief when your companion animal dies.
Blah…

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 11:55:19
From: dv
ID: 1997611
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Cymek said:

Bubblecar said:

Longford GP called. They booked me a phone appointment with Dr Walker for next Wednesday to discuss the histology results, so presumably it’s nothing urgent.

I imagine if it was urgent it would have been with Dr Runner

Dear oh dear.

Seeing the phrase Dr Walker reminded me of this thing from the 1980s…
It was a different time.
https://youtu.be/jRzYunzPkDY

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:04:38
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1997614
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Squirrel having fun.. 😅

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden/status/1627360524643041280?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:05:56
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997615
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


A difficult night for sleeping last night, brain was galloping around.
A dreadfully windy day. Something is loose on the roof.
Gracie Blue’s ashes and memorial paw print arrived. With a pamphlet on grief when your companion animal dies.
Blah…

I dreamt I was in the old cabin we demolished 20 years ago. It was the 1985 layout. The open fire was lit. The vertical board rough hewn walls looked so good. The place was clean. I walked into the bedroom and the built in fourposter bed was made with drapes and extra cushions. I was just in amazement to how lovely it all looked. Obviously a dream.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:24:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997618
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Making a batch of tuna curry with rice, of which half will be for lunch and half for dinner.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:29:09
From: buffy
ID: 1997622
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


roughbarked said:

sarahs mum said:

I think DV posted this.

it’s shit. i hope he gets no votes.

This is definitely a case of don’t vote by putting every number in. Because if you number everyone, he is going to get a vote.

I’m pretty sure that’s wrong.

If you place someone last, they will never get that vote.

If you rely on someone else’s distribution, they may get your vote.

And if you don’t put avnumber in every square your vote is invalid. Except for upper house voting federally. Not sure about different State rules.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:30:51
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1997623
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/tributes/notice/death-notices/devlin-joseph-anthony-and-roslyn-maree-nee-mcnamara/6031921/

No notice in The Age

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:31:45
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997624
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

roughbarked said:

This is definitely a case of don’t vote by putting every number in. Because if you number everyone, he is going to get a vote.

I’m pretty sure that’s wrong.

If you place someone last, they will never get that vote.

If you rely on someone else’s distribution, they may get your vote.

And if you don’t put avnumber in every square your vote is invalid. Except for upper house voting federally. Not sure about different State rules.

Fred nile and eric abetz got last on my ballot so many times. It brought me some joy.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:32:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997625
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


kii said:

A difficult night for sleeping last night, brain was galloping around.
A dreadfully windy day. Something is loose on the roof.
Gracie Blue’s ashes and memorial paw print arrived. With a pamphlet on grief when your companion animal dies.
Blah…

I dreamt I was in the old cabin we demolished 20 years ago. It was the 1985 layout. The open fire was lit. The vertical board rough hewn walls looked so good. The place was clean. I walked into the bedroom and the built in fourposter bed was made with drapes and extra cushions. I was just in amazement to how lovely it all looked. Obviously a dream.

There was a wooden object in my dream too, which I was turning around while dusting each side of it and thinking “that’ll come up really nicely with a spray of wood polish”.

But I can’t for the life of me remember what the object was. Quite large but easily manipulated by hand, made of pine or some other lightish timber, with multiple sides. Don’t think it was a musical instrument.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:32:31
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997626
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


buffy said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

I’m pretty sure that’s wrong.

If you place someone last, they will never get that vote.

If you rely on someone else’s distribution, they may get your vote.

And if you don’t put avnumber in every square your vote is invalid. Except for upper house voting federally. Not sure about different State rules.

Fred nile and eric abetz got last on my ballot so many times. It brought me some joy.

Even when you don’t have to number every square. It’s the right thing to do.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:33:08
From: Woodie
ID: 1997627
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Making a batch of tuna curry with rice, of which half will be for lunch and half for dinner.

Simples!!!!

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:34:23
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997628
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

kii said:

A difficult night for sleeping last night, brain was galloping around.
A dreadfully windy day. Something is loose on the roof.
Gracie Blue’s ashes and memorial paw print arrived. With a pamphlet on grief when your companion animal dies.
Blah…

I dreamt I was in the old cabin we demolished 20 years ago. It was the 1985 layout. The open fire was lit. The vertical board rough hewn walls looked so good. The place was clean. I walked into the bedroom and the built in fourposter bed was made with drapes and extra cushions. I was just in amazement to how lovely it all looked. Obviously a dream.

There was a wooden object in my dream too, which I was turning around while dusting each side of it and thinking “that’ll come up really nicely with a spray of wood polish”.

But I can’t for the life of me remember what the object was. Quite large but easily manipulated by hand, made of pine or some other lightish timber, with multiple sides. Don’t think it was a musical instrument.

It’s a sculpture. You just need to give it some tactile form.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:34:27
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997629
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Bubblecar said:

Making a batch of tuna curry with rice, of which half will be for lunch and half for dinner.

Simples!!!!


Not quite that basic.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:35:00
From: buffy
ID: 1997630
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


https://www.heraldsun.com.au/tributes/notice/death-notices/devlin-joseph-anthony-and-roslyn-maree-nee-mcnamara/6031921/

No notice in The Age

That must have gone up since I checked this morning. I’ve been checking every day both Herald Sun and The Age for days now.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:36:48
From: buffy
ID: 1997631
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


AussieDJ said:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/tributes/notice/death-notices/devlin-joseph-anthony-and-roslyn-maree-nee-mcnamara/6031921/

No notice in The Age

That must have gone up since I checked this morning. I’ve been checking every day both Herald Sun and The Age for days now.

Ah, it’s in funeral notices. I have been looking at death notices.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:39:52
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997632
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

For information:

Bruce Lehrmann is NOT on today’s Toowoomba Law List.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:41:43
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997633
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


AussieDJ said:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/tributes/notice/death-notices/devlin-joseph-anthony-and-roslyn-maree-nee-mcnamara/6031921/

No notice in The Age

That must have gone up since I checked this morning. I’ve been checking every day both Herald Sun and The Age for days now.

Should put that link in the vale Shebs thread.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:42:59
From: Woodie
ID: 1997634
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


For information:

Bruce Lehrmann is NOT on today’s Toowoomba Law List.

“Oh……. Mr Lehrmann. I though you were talking about the linen”.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:47:37
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1997635
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


For information:

Bruce Lehrmann is NOT on today’s Toowoomba Law List.

Would he be there every day if we’re still in the preliminary stage of proceedings?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:47:41
From: Woodie
ID: 1997636
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Woodie said:

Bubblecar said:

Making a batch of tuna curry with rice, of which half will be for lunch and half for dinner.

Simples!!!!


Not quite that basic.

Even simplers!! ….. and it’s FAD free, hey what but.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:52:32
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1997637
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


buffy said:

AussieDJ said:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/tributes/notice/death-notices/devlin-joseph-anthony-and-roslyn-maree-nee-mcnamara/6031921/

No notice in The Age

That must have gone up since I checked this morning. I’ve been checking every day both Herald Sun and The Age for days now.

Ah, it’s in funeral notices. I have been looking at death notices.

Both listings appeared early yesterday.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:54:28
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997638
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Bubblecar said:

Woodie said:

Simples!!!!


Not quite that basic.

Even simplers!! ….. and it’s FAD free, hey what but.


So they are responsible for catching it.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 12:56:50
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997639
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I got socks for christmas and just opened them to put on.
On the tag it says ‘For Best Results Wear on Feet’

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:04:28
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997642
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


captain_spalding said:

For information:

Bruce Lehrmann is NOT on today’s Toowoomba Law List.

Would he be there every day if we’re still in the preliminary stage of proceedings?

I just want people to know when when he does front the beak.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:05:40
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997643
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Making a batch of tuna curry with rice, of which half will be for lunch and half for dinner.

Verdict: delicious but I slightly overdid the spices, which is why I’m now dabbing my face with a tea-towel while sitting in front of the fan on Speed 2.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:07:43
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1997644
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

captain_spalding said:

For information:

Bruce Lehrmann is NOT on today’s Toowoomba Law List.

Would he be there every day if we’re still in the preliminary stage of proceedings?

I just want people to know when when he does front the beak.

Right you are.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:14:35
From: buffy
ID: 1997646
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


buffy said:

buffy said:

That must have gone up since I checked this morning. I’ve been checking every day both Herald Sun and The Age for days now.

Ah, it’s in funeral notices. I have been looking at death notices.

Both listings appeared early yesterday.

Hmm…I didn’t specifically look for death notices, I just went to the mytributes all categories. I think I must have looked too early yesterday and then didn’t go down to yesterday’s ones again today. Doesn’t matter.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:18:49
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997647
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


captain_spalding said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

Would he be there every day if we’re still in the preliminary stage of proceedings?

I just want people to know when when he does front the beak.

Right you are.

I sent an e-mail to Andrew Bolt, suggesting that he might score a ‘scoop’ on Bruce’s other rape charges by ‘lifting the veil’ on those matterswhen the time is right, and i promised that i’d let him know when Bruce’s name comes up.

He replied with a polite ‘thank you’.

He may be a dill, but he’s a dill with manners.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:20:15
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997649
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News:

‘Glenn Maxwell back in Australian ODI squad after recovering from horror leg injury’

I didn’t even know that Glenn had hurt his horror leg.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:23:02
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997651
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Cymek said:

Bubblecar said:

Longford GP called. They booked me a phone appointment with Dr Walker for next Wednesday to discuss the histology results, so presumably it’s nothing urgent.

I imagine if it was urgent it would have been with Dr Runner

Dear oh dear.

We get all sorts in here.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:24:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997652
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Cymek said:

Tamb said:

Either that or there’s no point in hurrying.

True then it would have been with Doctor Getyouraffairsintoorder

Could have been with Dr. Wills ( as in ‘have you made one?’).

I once had a doctor introduce himself as Dr. Butcher.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:24:47
From: Woodie
ID: 1997653
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Making a batch of tuna curry with rice, of which half will be for lunch and half for dinner.

Verdict: delicious but I slightly overdid the spices, which is why I’m now dabbing my face with a tea-towel while sitting in front of the fan on Speed 2.

Wouldn’t have happened if you’d listened to ya Uncle Woodie and taken my suggestion for tasty lunch morsels, but Ohhhhhh no….. off ya went all cookie and cockie and made ya own muck. And now look what’s happened…….. Culinary disaster, instead of culinary delights, hey what but.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:25:15
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997654
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Gardening in Tasmania

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:26:01
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997655
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


captain_spalding said:

Cymek said:

True then it would have been with Doctor Getyouraffairsintoorder

Could have been with Dr. Wills ( as in ‘have you made one?’).

I once had a doctor introduce himself as Dr. Butcher.

I went to a dr Death. He was a gyno.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:27:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997656
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ABC News:

‘Glenn Maxwell back in Australian ODI squad after recovering from horror leg injury’

I didn’t even know that Glenn had hurt his horror leg.

He got drunk at a barbie and fell over.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:28:32
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997657
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Gardening in Tasmania

Your garden?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:30:41
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997658
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

Gardening in Tasmania

Your garden?

no. just a post I saw in gardening in tas on facebook. they were wanting it typed. Looks like a tiger to me. and one I wouldn’t deal with.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:32:06
From: Cymek
ID: 1997659
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


captain_spalding said:

ABC News:

‘Glenn Maxwell back in Australian ODI squad after recovering from horror leg injury’

I didn’t even know that Glenn had hurt his horror leg.

He got drunk at a barbie and fell over.

That’s quite Australian

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:32:14
From: btm
ID: 1997660
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

Could have been with Dr. Wills ( as in ‘have you made one?’).

I once had a doctor introduce himself as Dr. Butcher.

I went to a dr Death. He was a gyno.

I once saw a Dr Kwak.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:33:20
From: btm
ID: 1997661
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

captain_spalding said:

I just want people to know when when he does front the beak.

Right you are.

I sent an e-mail to Andrew Bolt, suggesting that he might score a ‘scoop’ on Bruce’s other rape charges by ‘lifting the veil’ on those matterswhen the time is right, and i promised that i’d let him know when Bruce’s name comes up.

He replied with a polite ‘thank you’.

He may be a dill, but he’s a dill with manners.

Either that or he got a minion to set up an autoreply. I know what I think is more likely.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:38:04
From: Kingy
ID: 1997662
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Kingy said:

ChrispenEvan said:

Around 600,000 bolts of lightning sizzled across WA skies yesterday, many of which sparked bushfires across the State.

Crews were battling intense conditions as severe thunderstorms bore down, bringing damaging gusty winds to the firegrounds for several hours. Hopetoun recorded the highest temp in the State, hitting 44.9 degrees and Southern Cross Airfield clocked a wind gust of 111 km/hour yesterday afternoon, as both towns had multiple fires ignited around them.

We currently have 58 active incidents across the State, including 3 Bushfire Watch and Acts and 6 Bushfire Advices. While milder conditions today are giving firefighters an opportunity to get the upper hand, thunderstorm activity is still zapping across Goldfields Midlands and Great Southern.

Thank you to the hundreds of personnel, career and volunteer firefighters, SES volunteers and support crews from DFES, local governments, Parks and Wildlife Service, local farmers and Western Australia Police Force who are all pitching in to protect their fellow West Aussies.

Not a lot of rain is expected to reach the ground until tomorrow, so if you’re in the area make sure your bushfire plan is ready to go.

We got stood down at 10am this morning. Based on the last few times we went to Esperance, it was a full days driving(800km), and a nights sleep before we could even drive to the fireground. These fires are “only” around 600km away, and there is a cool change currently making it’s way there.

I also notice that there are a couple of LAT’s just landed in Kalgoorlie from over East.

got up this morning to a very light rain falling.

Got woken up before sunup this morning by a 000 call for a poletop fire caused by light rainfall onto the wooden crossbar of an old power pole. When it hasn’t rained for months, dust and salt spray from the ocean settle across the top, and a light rain or a heavy dew is enough to make it conductive. A current runs across it and starts a fire.

Luckily it wasn’t in my area so I didn’t have to go deal with it.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:39:17
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997663
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


captain_spalding said:

ABC News:

‘Glenn Maxwell back in Australian ODI squad after recovering from horror leg injury’

I didn’t even know that Glenn had hurt his horror leg.

He got drunk at a barbie and fell over.

‘He cried in a whisper at some image, at some vision—he cried out twice, a cry that was no more than a breath:

“The horror leg! The horror leg!’’‘

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:42:05
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997664
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


roughbarked said:

sarahs mum said:

Gardening in Tasmania

Your garden?

no. just a post I saw in gardening in tas on facebook. they were wanting it typed. Looks like a tiger to me. and one I wouldn’t deal with.

Haven’t seen a serpent in my garden for a very long time.

Plenty of lizards and frogs but no snakes.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:42:12
From: kii
ID: 1997665
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


captain_spalding said:

Cymek said:

True then it would have been with Doctor Getyouraffairsintoorder

Could have been with Dr. Wills ( as in ‘have you made one?’).

I once had a doctor introduce himself as Dr. Butcher.

mr kii had a doctor called Dr Doctor. Seriously.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:42:42
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997666
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

Could have been with Dr. Wills ( as in ‘have you made one?’).

I once had a doctor introduce himself as Dr. Butcher.

mr kii had a doctor called Dr Doctor. Seriously.

Did he give him the news?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:43:59
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997667
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


kii said:

roughbarked said:

I once had a doctor introduce himself as Dr. Butcher.

mr kii had a doctor called Dr Doctor. Seriously.

Did he give him the news?

I said doctor.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:45:26
From: kii
ID: 1997669
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


kii said:

roughbarked said:

I once had a doctor introduce himself as Dr. Butcher.

mr kii had a doctor called Dr Doctor. Seriously.

Did he give him the news?

Yep, the news that the knee surgery went well.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:46:07
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997670
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

If you don’t have any problems and have no room to run a goat, perhaps you could consider Clover.

Dogs’ Homes of Tasmania added a new photo to the album Hobart Dogs.
1 h ·
They say finding a four-leaf clover is good luck, and whoever welcomes Clover into their home is bound to be lucky. Plus, her name includes the word “lover”!
This sweet Beagle-Spaniel x, three years old and weighing 17.6kg, has come back to us because she likes leaves, but in a different way – when given the chance, she has been known to leave the safety of home.
We’re not leaving her out in the cold, though, and are looking for a new family who are familiar with the Beagle urge to seek greener pastures (perhaps to roll in the clover?). She’s a playful girl who loves people and likes to keep busy, especially with enrichment toys and anything that squeaks. She enjoys a play with the hose. Clover is very affectionate and loving. She will happily sit on your lap for cuddles and listen to you whisper in her ear what a good girl she is.
Clover will need good fences and gates to keep her from adventuring, and preferably humans who are home most of the time to provide her with the stimulation her Spaniel side needs so she’ll conclude things are more fun on the right side of the fence. Her mix means she’s bound to be brainy and should respond well to treat-based training. We’ve been told “she’ll do anything” for a hotdog, so there’s a hot tip!
Clover thinks that pulling down washing and chasing chickens are great fun, so we suggest no chickens and perhaps some creative clothesline techniques.
Clover likes other dogs and would be happy to share her new home with a dog friend.
To meet and adopt Clover, click on the link below to make an appointment – but please remember as dogs are adopted throughout the day, we can’t guarantee any particular dog will be there when you visit.
dhot.com.au/adopt-a-dog/hobart-dogs/

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:46:20
From: dv
ID: 1997671
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


captain_spalding said:

kii said:

mr kii had a doctor called Dr Doctor. Seriously.

Did he give him the news?

I said doctor.

Once a lifetime twice a day

There used to be a Dr Death operating in Brisbane

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:47:16
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997672
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


sarahs mum said:

captain_spalding said:

Did he give him the news?

I said doctor.

Once a lifetime twice a day

There used to be a Dr Death operating in Brisbane

I once knew someone with that name. Pronounce dee-ath

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:49:00
From: kii
ID: 1997673
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


sarahs mum said:

captain_spalding said:

Did he give him the news?

I said doctor.

Once a lifetime twice a day

There used to be a Dr Death operating in Brisbane

There was a Reverend Death in the Chatswood area back in the 1980s.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:51:51
From: kii
ID: 1997674
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I know a graphic designer named Mark Hand…lololol, always cracks me up.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:52:29
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1997675
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


dv said:

sarahs mum said:

I said doctor.

Once a lifetime twice a day

There used to be a Dr Death operating in Brisbane

I once knew someone with that name. Pronounce dee-ath

I think there was a CASA spokesman with that surname, too. I believe he ended up changing his name to Deeth by deed poll.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:52:38
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997676
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


dv said:

sarahs mum said:

I said doctor.

Once a lifetime twice a day

There used to be a Dr Death operating in Brisbane

There was a Reverend Death in the Chatswood area back in the 1980s.

I was close to there then. Early 80s. Working in Nth Syney and Artarmon.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 13:59:41
From: kii
ID: 1997677
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


kii said:

dv said:

Once a lifetime twice a day

There used to be a Dr Death operating in Brisbane

There was a Reverend Death in the Chatswood area back in the 1980s.

I was close to there then. Early 80s. Working in Nth Syney and Artarmon.

I remember you telling me that. I worked in Artarmon and Lane Cove.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:04:01
From: Michael V
ID: 1997678
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

Could have been with Dr. Wills ( as in ‘have you made one?’).

I once had a doctor introduce himself as Dr. Butcher.

mr kii had a doctor called Dr Doctor. Seriously.

I did too, out at Walgett. Nice thoughtful bloke. Indian, I think.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:05:44
From: buffy
ID: 1997679
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-23/four-day-working-week-trial-study-flexible-hours/102012464

I tried doing a 4 day week back in the 1990s. I did 4 days of 10 hours, because as a by appointment job, I had to keep up the same number of appointments to maintain service to patients and income. (I normally worked a 38 hour week + all the stuff for running the company done on the side) I couldn’t do it. Full on concentration like that was beyond me.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:06:34
From: Cymek
ID: 1997680
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


I know a graphic designer named Mark Hand…lololol, always cracks me up.

Imagine getting someone else to do his work, this is mark hands job

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:06:56
From: buffy
ID: 1997681
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Gardening in Tasmania

Tiger in the grass!!

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:08:51
From: buffy
ID: 1997682
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Kingy said:

We got stood down at 10am this morning. Based on the last few times we went to Esperance, it was a full days driving(800km), and a nights sleep before we could even drive to the fireground. These fires are “only” around 600km away, and there is a cool change currently making it’s way there.

I also notice that there are a couple of LAT’s just landed in Kalgoorlie from over East.

got up this morning to a very light rain falling.

Got woken up before sunup this morning by a 000 call for a poletop fire caused by light rainfall onto the wooden crossbar of an old power pole. When it hasn’t rained for months, dust and salt spray from the ocean settle across the top, and a light rain or a heavy dew is enough to make it conductive. A current runs across it and starts a fire.

Luckily it wasn’t in my area so I didn’t have to go deal with it.

That started happening in this district after electricity got privatised and the trucks that used to go around washing down the tops of the poles were deemed unnecessary. Doesn’t seem to happen as much now. Probably not as much wood around.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:13:20
From: Michael V
ID: 1997683
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


If you don’t have any problems and have no room to run a goat, perhaps you could consider Clover.

Dogs’ Homes of Tasmania added a new photo to the album Hobart Dogs.
1 h ·
They say finding a four-leaf clover is good luck, and whoever welcomes Clover into their home is bound to be lucky. Plus, her name includes the word “lover”!
This sweet Beagle-Spaniel x, three years old and weighing 17.6kg, has come back to us because she likes leaves, but in a different way – when given the chance, she has been known to leave the safety of home.
We’re not leaving her out in the cold, though, and are looking for a new family who are familiar with the Beagle urge to seek greener pastures (perhaps to roll in the clover?). She’s a playful girl who loves people and likes to keep busy, especially with enrichment toys and anything that squeaks. She enjoys a play with the hose. Clover is very affectionate and loving. She will happily sit on your lap for cuddles and listen to you whisper in her ear what a good girl she is.
Clover will need good fences and gates to keep her from adventuring, and preferably humans who are home most of the time to provide her with the stimulation her Spaniel side needs so she’ll conclude things are more fun on the right side of the fence. Her mix means she’s bound to be brainy and should respond well to treat-based training. We’ve been told “she’ll do anything” for a hotdog, so there’s a hot tip!
Clover thinks that pulling down washing and chasing chickens are great fun, so we suggest no chickens and perhaps some creative clothesline techniques.
Clover likes other dogs and would be happy to share her new home with a dog friend.
To meet and adopt Clover, click on the link below to make an appointment – but please remember as dogs are adopted throughout the day, we can’t guarantee any particular dog will be there when you visit.
dhot.com.au/adopt-a-dog/hobart-dogs/

A lot of money for a dog that wants to ruin your clothes and steal the food from your hand.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:15:47
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997684
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

If you don’t have any problems and have no room to run a goat, perhaps you could consider Clover.

Dogs’ Homes of Tasmania added a new photo to the album Hobart Dogs.
1 h ·
They say finding a four-leaf clover is good luck, and whoever welcomes Clover into their home is bound to be lucky. Plus, her name includes the word “lover”!
This sweet Beagle-Spaniel x, three years old and weighing 17.6kg, has come back to us because she likes leaves, but in a different way – when given the chance, she has been known to leave the safety of home.
We’re not leaving her out in the cold, though, and are looking for a new family who are familiar with the Beagle urge to seek greener pastures (perhaps to roll in the clover?). She’s a playful girl who loves people and likes to keep busy, especially with enrichment toys and anything that squeaks. She enjoys a play with the hose. Clover is very affectionate and loving. She will happily sit on your lap for cuddles and listen to you whisper in her ear what a good girl she is.
Clover will need good fences and gates to keep her from adventuring, and preferably humans who are home most of the time to provide her with the stimulation her Spaniel side needs so she’ll conclude things are more fun on the right side of the fence. Her mix means she’s bound to be brainy and should respond well to treat-based training. We’ve been told “she’ll do anything” for a hotdog, so there’s a hot tip!
Clover thinks that pulling down washing and chasing chickens are great fun, so we suggest no chickens and perhaps some creative clothesline techniques.
Clover likes other dogs and would be happy to share her new home with a dog friend.
To meet and adopt Clover, click on the link below to make an appointment – but please remember as dogs are adopted throughout the day, we can’t guarantee any particular dog will be there when you visit.
dhot.com.au/adopt-a-dog/hobart-dogs/

A lot of money for a dog that wants to ruin your clothes and steal the food from your hand.

and then pack up and go to Bothwell.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:21:14
From: Michael V
ID: 1997685
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Making a batch of tuna curry with rice, of which half will be for lunch and half for dinner.

Verdict: delicious but I slightly overdid the spices, which is why I’m now dabbing my face with a tea-towel while sitting in front of the fan on Speed 2.

Wouldn’t have happened if you’d listened to ya Uncle Woodie and taken my suggestion for tasty lunch morsels, but Ohhhhhh no….. off ya went all cookie and cockie and made ya own muck. And now look what’s happened…….. Culinary disaster, instead of culinary delights, hey what but.


Is it nice?

And they say it is fad-free, as well.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:21:45
From: Michael V
ID: 1997686
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Gardening in Tasmania

Is that a Tiger snake?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:28:09
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997687
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

Gardening in Tasmania

Is that a Tiger snake?

yep.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:28:14
From: buffy
ID: 1997688
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

Gardening in Tasmania

Is that a Tiger snake?

Large head (Tasmanian tigers have larger heads), yellow underneath. Here is a link to observations of them recently on iNaturalist.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=6829&taxon_id=35178

The stripes aren’t always visible and sometimes they are sleek and black. I’ve learnt this by clicking on the snake identifications over the past few months. I’m gradually getting an idea of the different ones.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:29:06
From: Michael V
ID: 1997689
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

If you don’t have any problems and have no room to run a goat, perhaps you could consider Clover.

Dogs’ Homes of Tasmania added a new photo to the album Hobart Dogs.
1 h ·
They say finding a four-leaf clover is good luck, and whoever welcomes Clover into their home is bound to be lucky. Plus, her name includes the word “lover”!
This sweet Beagle-Spaniel x, three years old and weighing 17.6kg, has come back to us because she likes leaves, but in a different way – when given the chance, she has been known to leave the safety of home.
We’re not leaving her out in the cold, though, and are looking for a new family who are familiar with the Beagle urge to seek greener pastures (perhaps to roll in the clover?). She’s a playful girl who loves people and likes to keep busy, especially with enrichment toys and anything that squeaks. She enjoys a play with the hose. Clover is very affectionate and loving. She will happily sit on your lap for cuddles and listen to you whisper in her ear what a good girl she is.
Clover will need good fences and gates to keep her from adventuring, and preferably humans who are home most of the time to provide her with the stimulation her Spaniel side needs so she’ll conclude things are more fun on the right side of the fence. Her mix means she’s bound to be brainy and should respond well to treat-based training. We’ve been told “she’ll do anything” for a hotdog, so there’s a hot tip!
Clover thinks that pulling down washing and chasing chickens are great fun, so we suggest no chickens and perhaps some creative clothesline techniques.
Clover likes other dogs and would be happy to share her new home with a dog friend.
To meet and adopt Clover, click on the link below to make an appointment – but please remember as dogs are adopted throughout the day, we can’t guarantee any particular dog will be there when you visit.
dhot.com.au/adopt-a-dog/hobart-dogs/

A lot of money for a dog that wants to ruin your clothes and steal the food from your hand.

and then pack up and go to Bothwell.

Why Bothwell?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:30:47
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997690
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

Gardening in Tasmania

Is that a Tiger snake?

Large head (Tasmanian tigers have larger heads), yellow underneath. Here is a link to observations of them recently on iNaturalist.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=6829&taxon_id=35178

The stripes aren’t always visible and sometimes they are sleek and black. I’ve learnt this by clicking on the snake identifications over the past few months. I’m gradually getting an idea of the different ones.

I think there are some bass strait islands with only black form tigers.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:31:19
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997691
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

Michael V said:

A lot of money for a dog that wants to ruin your clothes and steal the food from your hand.

and then pack up and go to Bothwell.

Why Bothwell?

It’s so far away that you wouldn’t look for them there.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:31:44
From: Michael V
ID: 1997692
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

Gardening in Tasmania

Is that a Tiger snake?

Large head (Tasmanian tigers have larger heads), yellow underneath. Here is a link to observations of them recently on iNaturalist.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=6829&taxon_id=35178

The stripes aren’t always visible and sometimes they are sleek and black. I’ve learnt this by clicking on the snake identifications over the past few months. I’m gradually getting an idea of the different ones.

Field geologists tell each other stories. Those who worked in Tasmania talked about Tiger Snakes and their colouration and size, as well as the weather.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:32:46
From: dv
ID: 1997693
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:33:18
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997694
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

DailyTurismo
1 d ·
Today’s next feature is a Plymouth Belvedere with a flathead inline-6 that still runs like a dream after 68 years on the road, but what really sets this car apart is the transmission – a rare Hy-Drive transmission that was only put in a few 1954 Plymouth Belvederes. #Murica #Belvedere #Plymouth

—

I think the plymouth from my childhood is an earlier model/

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:34:07
From: buffy
ID: 1997695
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


buffy said:

Michael V said:

Is that a Tiger snake?

Large head (Tasmanian tigers have larger heads), yellow underneath. Here is a link to observations of them recently on iNaturalist.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=6829&taxon_id=35178

The stripes aren’t always visible and sometimes they are sleek and black. I’ve learnt this by clicking on the snake identifications over the past few months. I’m gradually getting an idea of the different ones.

I think there are some bass strait islands with only black form tigers.

Yes, I think you are right on that. Here are Victorian ones seen recently and put onto iNaturalist. Much more stripey as a general rule. I’ve even been brave enough to second some of these observations.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=7830&taxon_id=35178

Mind you, if you get the cobra head, you really don’t want to be close. That’s a threat, ready to strike pose.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:35:58
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997696
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:



Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:38:11
From: kii
ID: 1997697
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


dv said:



Sob 😭

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 14:54:06
From: Woodie
ID: 1997704
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


If you don’t have any problems and have no room to run a goat, perhaps you could consider Clover.

Dogs’ Homes of Tasmania added a new photo to the album Hobart Dogs.
1 h ·
They say finding a four-leaf clover is good luck, and whoever welcomes Clover into their home is bound to be lucky. Plus, her name includes the word “lover”!
This sweet Beagle-Spaniel x, three years old and weighing 17.6kg, has come back to us because she likes leaves, but in a different way – when given the chance, she has been known to leave the safety of home.
We’re not leaving her out in the cold, though, and are looking for a new family who are familiar with the Beagle urge to seek greener pastures (perhaps to roll in the clover?). She’s a playful girl who loves people and likes to keep busy, especially with enrichment toys and anything that squeaks. She enjoys a play with the hose. Clover is very affectionate and loving. She will happily sit on your lap for cuddles and listen to you whisper in her ear what a good girl she is.
Clover will need good fences and gates to keep her from adventuring, and preferably humans who are home most of the time to provide her with the stimulation her Spaniel side needs so she’ll conclude things are more fun on the right side of the fence. Her mix means she’s bound to be brainy and should respond well to treat-based training. We’ve been told “she’ll do anything” for a hotdog, so there’s a hot tip!
Clover thinks that pulling down washing and chasing chickens are great fun, so we suggest no chickens and perhaps some creative clothesline techniques.
Clover likes other dogs and would be happy to share her new home with a dog friend.
To meet and adopt Clover, click on the link below to make an appointment – but please remember as dogs are adopted throughout the day, we can’t guarantee any particular dog will be there when you visit.
dhot.com.au/adopt-a-dog/hobart-dogs/

aaaawwwwwww…….. Cyoote goochie goochie goo!!

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:00:12
From: Arts
ID: 1997706
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


sarahs mum said:

If you don’t have any problems and have no room to run a goat, perhaps you could consider Clover.

Dogs’ Homes of Tasmania added a new photo to the album Hobart Dogs.
1 h ·
They say finding a four-leaf clover is good luck, and whoever welcomes Clover into their home is bound to be lucky. Plus, her name includes the word “lover”!
This sweet Beagle-Spaniel x, three years old and weighing 17.6kg, has come back to us because she likes leaves, but in a different way – when given the chance, she has been known to leave the safety of home.
We’re not leaving her out in the cold, though, and are looking for a new family who are familiar with the Beagle urge to seek greener pastures (perhaps to roll in the clover?). She’s a playful girl who loves people and likes to keep busy, especially with enrichment toys and anything that squeaks. She enjoys a play with the hose. Clover is very affectionate and loving. She will happily sit on your lap for cuddles and listen to you whisper in her ear what a good girl she is.
Clover will need good fences and gates to keep her from adventuring, and preferably humans who are home most of the time to provide her with the stimulation her Spaniel side needs so she’ll conclude things are more fun on the right side of the fence. Her mix means she’s bound to be brainy and should respond well to treat-based training. We’ve been told “she’ll do anything” for a hotdog, so there’s a hot tip!
Clover thinks that pulling down washing and chasing chickens are great fun, so we suggest no chickens and perhaps some creative clothesline techniques.
Clover likes other dogs and would be happy to share her new home with a dog friend.
To meet and adopt Clover, click on the link below to make an appointment – but please remember as dogs are adopted throughout the day, we can’t guarantee any particular dog will be there when you visit.
dhot.com.au/adopt-a-dog/hobart-dogs/

aaaawwwwwww…….. Cyoote goochie goochie goo!!

really. it’s a cute dog.. and I’m sure a good companion, but that reads like you are paying $400 for some hard work…

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:03:28
From: dv
ID: 1997708
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Another mass shooting in Orlando Florida including a journalist who was there to cover the shooting.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:04:38
From: buffy
ID: 1997709
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Woodie said:

sarahs mum said:

If you don’t have any problems and have no room to run a goat, perhaps you could consider Clover.

Dogs’ Homes of Tasmania added a new photo to the album Hobart Dogs.
1 h ·
They say finding a four-leaf clover is good luck, and whoever welcomes Clover into their home is bound to be lucky. Plus, her name includes the word “lover”!
This sweet Beagle-Spaniel x, three years old and weighing 17.6kg, has come back to us because she likes leaves, but in a different way – when given the chance, she has been known to leave the safety of home.
We’re not leaving her out in the cold, though, and are looking for a new family who are familiar with the Beagle urge to seek greener pastures (perhaps to roll in the clover?). She’s a playful girl who loves people and likes to keep busy, especially with enrichment toys and anything that squeaks. She enjoys a play with the hose. Clover is very affectionate and loving. She will happily sit on your lap for cuddles and listen to you whisper in her ear what a good girl she is.
Clover will need good fences and gates to keep her from adventuring, and preferably humans who are home most of the time to provide her with the stimulation her Spaniel side needs so she’ll conclude things are more fun on the right side of the fence. Her mix means she’s bound to be brainy and should respond well to treat-based training. We’ve been told “she’ll do anything” for a hotdog, so there’s a hot tip!
Clover thinks that pulling down washing and chasing chickens are great fun, so we suggest no chickens and perhaps some creative clothesline techniques.
Clover likes other dogs and would be happy to share her new home with a dog friend.
To meet and adopt Clover, click on the link below to make an appointment – but please remember as dogs are adopted throughout the day, we can’t guarantee any particular dog will be there when you visit.
dhot.com.au/adopt-a-dog/hobart-dogs/

aaaawwwwwww…….. Cyoote goochie goochie goo!!

really. it’s a cute dog.. and I’m sure a good companion, but that reads like you are paying $400 for some hard work…

It’s got beagle in it. Beagles are perhaps the best escapologists in the dog world. You need to know what you are getting.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:11:18
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997710
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Arts said:

Woodie said:

aaaawwwwwww…….. Cyoote goochie goochie goo!!

really. it’s a cute dog.. and I’m sure a good companion, but that reads like you are paying $400 for some hard work…

It’s got beagle in it. Beagles are perhaps the best escapologists in the dog world. You need to know what you are getting.

And they get lost easily.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:14:35
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1997711
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


buffy said:

Arts said:

really. it’s a cute dog.. and I’m sure a good companion, but that reads like you are paying $400 for some hard work…

It’s got beagle in it. Beagles are perhaps the best escapologists in the dog world. You need to know what you are getting.

And they get lost easily.

speaking of beagles, how did Snoopy do so much on the top of his kennel? I presume it was a gable roof and thus pointy at the top. must have been uncomfortable.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:18:56
From: dv
ID: 1997712
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

It’s got beagle in it. Beagles are perhaps the best escapologists in the dog world. You need to know what you are getting.

And they get lost easily.

speaking of beagles, how did Snoopy do so much on the top of his kennel? I presume it was a gable roof and thus pointy at the top. must have been uncomfortable.

I suppose it’s not clear because of the front projection but he had a form-fitted carbon fibre perch.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:19:28
From: Arts
ID: 1997713
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

It’s got beagle in it. Beagles are perhaps the best escapologists in the dog world. You need to know what you are getting.

And they get lost easily.

speaking of beagles, how did Snoopy do so much on the top of his kennel? I presume it was a gable roof and thus pointy at the top. must have been uncomfortable.

I had a leg set.. the top bit had a ledge.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:19:50
From: Arts
ID: 1997714
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Peak Warming Man said:

And they get lost easily.

speaking of beagles, how did Snoopy do so much on the top of his kennel? I presume it was a gable roof and thus pointy at the top. must have been uncomfortable.

I had a leg set.. the top bit had a ledge.

*lego

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:23:11
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1997715
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Peak Warming Man said:

And they get lost easily.

speaking of beagles, how did Snoopy do so much on the top of his kennel? I presume it was a gable roof and thus pointy at the top. must have been uncomfortable.

I suppose it’s not clear because of the front projection but he had a form-fitted carbon fibre perch.

Things you learn.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:28:01
From: Cymek
ID: 1997716
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Arts said:

Woodie said:

aaaawwwwwww…….. Cyoote goochie goochie goo!!

really. it’s a cute dog.. and I’m sure a good companion, but that reads like you are paying $400 for some hard work…

It’s got beagle in it. Beagles are perhaps the best escapologists in the dog world. You need to know what you are getting.

They can fly as well

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:30:27
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997717
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


buffy said:

Arts said:

really. it’s a cute dog.. and I’m sure a good companion, but that reads like you are paying $400 for some hard work…

It’s got beagle in it. Beagles are perhaps the best escapologists in the dog world. You need to know what you are getting.

They can fly as well

Ah. That’s how they get to Bothwell.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:30:40
From: dv
ID: 1997718
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Could the NZPM look more like Archie Andrews? You decide.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:30:59
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997719
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Arts said:

ChrispenEvan said:

speaking of beagles, how did Snoopy do so much on the top of his kennel? I presume it was a gable roof and thus pointy at the top. must have been uncomfortable.

I had a leg set.. the top bit had a ledge.

*lego

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:32:50
From: Kingy
ID: 1997720
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


dv said:

ChrispenEvan said:

speaking of beagles, how did Snoopy do so much on the top of his kennel? I presume it was a gable roof and thus pointy at the top. must have been uncomfortable.

I suppose it’s not clear because of the front projection but he had a form-fitted carbon fibre perch.

Things you learn.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:40:30
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1997721
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



Any information on the “Aboriginal hand saw” I have never heard of one.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:43:15
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997723
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


sarahs mum said:


Any information on the “Aboriginal hand saw” I have never heard of one.

There’s a lot to learn, things like bunnings being an aboriginal word meaning ‘trading place’

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:44:20
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997724
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Could the NZPM look more like Archie Andrews? You decide.

Well the teeth are quite different for a start, prominent upper vs lower.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:45:14
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997725
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


sarahs mum said:


Any information on the “Aboriginal hand saw” I have never heard of one.

Nup. No info. just a meme.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:47:21
From: transition
ID: 1997726
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

min temperature tonight 31C 6:00am in morn, so warm night

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:47:49
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1997728
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


dv said:

Could the NZPM look more like Archie Andrews? You decide.

Well the teeth are quite different for a start, prominent upper vs lower.



Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:47:53
From: Michael V
ID: 1997729
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


ChrispenEvan said:

dv said:

I suppose it’s not clear because of the front projection but he had a form-fitted carbon fibre perch.

Things you learn.


Ha!

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:48:02
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997730
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


min temperature tonight 31C 6:00am in morn, so warm night

Crazy.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:50:19
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997732
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


min temperature tonight 31C 6:00am in morn, so warm night

And before you know it you’ll be out looking for stumps to burn.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:50:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997733
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Bubblecar said:

dv said:

Could the NZPM look more like Archie Andrews? You decide.

Well the teeth are quite different for a start, prominent upper vs lower.




Dv might mean Archie from the Archie comics, but I assumed he meant Archie Andrews the British ventriloquist puppet.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:52:50
From: transition
ID: 1997734
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


min temperature tonight 31C 6:00am in morn, so warm night

well that above is lady’s weather service, mine says 29.5C min overnight in morn

so yeah, some joy in tomorrow day temperatures not too bad max 33.8C, and saturday max daytime 25C, so saturday’s bliss, from there on what I see is good

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:53:46
From: transition
ID: 1997735
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


transition said:

min temperature tonight 31C 6:00am in morn, so warm night

And before you know it you’ll be out looking for stumps to burn.

yeah obliquity of ecliptic and all that, stuck on this spinning, orbiting rock

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 15:58:49
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997737
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m having a cup of tea and a buttered slice of carrot cake and there’s nothing you can do about it.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 16:22:02
From: dv
ID: 1997741
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Bubblecar said:

Well the teeth are quite different for a start, prominent upper vs lower.




Dv might mean Archie from the Archie comics, but I assumed he meant Archie Andrews the British ventriloquist puppet.

I’ve not heard of that puppet. I was indeed referring to the comic book character.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 16:23:19
From: Woodie
ID: 1997742
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


I’m having a cup of tea and a buttered slice of carrot cake and there’s nothing you can do about it.

That same slice of carrot cake seems to have lasted all week.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 16:23:58
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1997743
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Bubblecar said:

dv said:

Could the NZPM look more like Archie Andrews? You decide.

Well the teeth are quite different for a start, prominent upper vs lower.



Still looks better than Dutton:

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 16:24:50
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997744
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Colonial clothes & shoes found under floor:

Haul of early colonial artefacts discovered beneath Hobart barracks building

“We found lots of boots and shoes, and parts of boots and shoes, lots of material from red coats — so very early colonial military uniforms — and lots of convict material as well, which is really interesting,” Dr Hibbert said.

She said the site was likely a cobbler’s and tailor’s workshop before the barracks building was built in 1827.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-23/early-colonial-artefacts-found-under-hobart-barracks-building/102014160

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 16:29:21
From: Ian
ID: 1997747
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Bubblecar said:

Well the teeth are quite different for a start, prominent upper vs lower.




Dv might mean Archie from the Archie comics, but I assumed he meant Archie Andrews the British ventriloquist puppet.

I

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 16:29:39
From: Cymek
ID: 1997748
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Bubblecar said:

Witty Rejoinder said:


Dv might mean Archie from the Archie comics, but I assumed he meant Archie Andrews the British ventriloquist puppet.

I’ve not heard of that puppet. I was indeed referring to the comic book character.

That picture is the Mad Magazine mascot

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 16:31:33
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1997750
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


dv said:

Bubblecar said:

Dv might mean Archie from the Archie comics, but I assumed he meant Archie Andrews the British ventriloquist puppet.

I’ve not heard of that puppet. I was indeed referring to the comic book character.

That picture is the Mad Magazine mascot

Nah it’s Pete Buttigieg.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 16:36:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997752
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Peak Warming Man said:

buffy said:

It’s got beagle in it. Beagles are perhaps the best escapologists in the dog world. You need to know what you are getting.

And they get lost easily.

speaking of beagles, how did Snoopy do so much on the top of his kennel? I presume it was a gable roof and thus pointy at the top. must have been uncomfortable.

Being two dimensional it was only half the pain.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 16:39:16
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997753
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Colonial clothes & shoes found under floor:

Haul of early colonial artefacts discovered beneath Hobart barracks building

“We found lots of boots and shoes, and parts of boots and shoes, lots of material from red coats — so very early colonial military uniforms — and lots of convict material as well, which is really interesting,” Dr Hibbert said.

She said the site was likely a cobbler’s and tailor’s workshop before the barracks building was built in 1827.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-23/early-colonial-artefacts-found-under-hobart-barracks-building/102014160


The soldiers would have looked something like this at that time, in full kit.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 16:42:46
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997754
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


sarahs mum said:


Any information on the “Aboriginal hand saw” I have never heard of one.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 16:47:21
From: buffy
ID: 1997755
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


min temperature tonight 31C 6:00am in morn, so warm night

Yuck. We are forecast 21 overnight. Then mid thirties again tomorrow, maybe a little rain on Saturday and then a few days in the twenties.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 16:47:23
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997756
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Colonial clothes & shoes found under floor:

Haul of early colonial artefacts discovered beneath Hobart barracks building

“We found lots of boots and shoes, and parts of boots and shoes, lots of material from red coats — so very early colonial military uniforms — and lots of convict material as well, which is really interesting,” Dr Hibbert said.

She said the site was likely a cobbler’s and tailor’s workshop before the barracks building was built in 1827.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-23/early-colonial-artefacts-found-under-hobart-barracks-building/102014160


The soldiers would have looked something like this at that time, in full kit.

And you wouldn’t want to mess with one of those killers.
They’d have their rifle ready with the powder in, the ball loaded and the wadding rammed home before you could count to a thousand.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 16:49:27
From: buffy
ID: 1997758
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


I’m having a cup of tea and a buttered slice of carrot cake and there’s nothing you can do about it.

There is an element of deja vu in that post.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 16:59:12
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997759
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

This is what I got for reporting spam.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 17:18:55
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997760
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

One in twelve Australians over 65 has dementia:

Dementia overtakes coronary heart disease as leading cause of premature death in older Australians

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-23/dementia-becomes-leading-cause-of-premature-death-in-australia/102015028

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 17:19:19
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997761
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


This is what I got for reporting spam.

I hope you didn’t lose a load of good photographs.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 17:24:33
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997762
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


roughbarked said:

This is what I got for reporting spam.

I hope you didn’t lose a load of good photographs.

Everything. It is weird because I’m now listed as having only 3 posts as a new member but I have 113 trophy points. So I lost all the content including photos. I can go through all the alerts that show where peopole either answered or liked my posts but when I click on the link, they are talking to a person that isn’t in the thread any more.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 17:29:00
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997763
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

This is what I got for reporting spam.

I hope you didn’t lose a load of good photographs.

Everything. It is weird because I’m now listed as having only 3 posts as a new member but I have 113 trophy points. So I lost all the content including photos. I can go through all the alerts that show where peopole either answered or liked my posts but when I click on the link, they are talking to a person that isn’t in the thread any more.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 17:30:54
From: dv
ID: 1997764
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


dv said:

Could the NZPM look more like Archie Andrews? You decide.

Well the teeth are quite different for a start, prominent upper vs lower.


Witty Rejoinder said:


Cymek said:

Bubblecar said:


Dv might mean Archie from the Archie comics, but I assumed he meant Archie Andrews the British ventriloquist puppet.
dv said:

I’ve not heard of that puppet. I was indeed referring to the comic book character.


That picture is the Mad Magazine mascot

Nah it’s Pete Buttigieg.

Yeah I can see the resemblance to PB.

WRT Hipkins on 2nd thought perhaps Richie Cunningham or Mickey Rooney is closer

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 17:31:57
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997765
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

I hope you didn’t lose a load of good photographs.

Everything. It is weird because I’m now listed as having only 3 posts as a new member but I have 113 trophy points. So I lost all the content including photos. I can go through all the alerts that show where peopole either answered or liked my posts but when I click on the link, they are talking to a person that isn’t in the thread any more.


Damn.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 17:33:24
From: dv
ID: 1997766
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

This is what I got for reporting spam.

I hope you didn’t lose a load of good photographs.

Everything. It is weird because I’m now listed as having only 3 posts as a new member but I have 113 trophy points. So I lost all the content including photos. I can go through all the alerts that show where peopole either answered or liked my posts but when I click on the link, they are talking to a person that isn’t in the thread any more.

Shit

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 17:34:44
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997767
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

Everything. It is weird because I’m now listed as having only 3 posts as a new member but I have 113 trophy points. So I lost all the content including photos. I can go through all the alerts that show where peopole either answered or liked my posts but when I click on the link, they are talking to a person that isn’t in the thread any more.


Damn.

Tom the smartest admin said:

Today at 11:07 AM

Add bookmark #33

There are full backups available. Those who do not acutally work with computers may think that means you may just “put it back.”

It actually requires that the backup before the error be restored to an independent database and a group of queries be written to update the account on the live system. Since this is the first time we have experienced this in 20 years of operation those queries do not exist. This is true for all forum systems using XenForo and almost certainly all other forums as well.

Other types of systems such as transaction processing banking systems do maintain more elaborate backup systems that would allow you to roll back before the error, correct the error and then roll forward to the current state. I do not think there is any software for forum applications that has been built on that model.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 17:36:14
From: Tamb
ID: 1997768
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Bubblecar said:

dv said:

Could the NZPM look more like Archie Andrews? You decide.

Well the teeth are quite different for a start, prominent upper vs lower.


Witty Rejoinder said:


Cymek said:

Bubblecar said:


Dv might mean Archie from the Archie comics, but I assumed he meant Archie Andrews the British ventriloquist puppet.
dv said:

I’ve not heard of that puppet. I was indeed referring to the comic book character.


That picture is the Mad Magazine mascot

Nah it’s Pete Buttigieg.

Yeah I can see the resemblance to PB.

WRT Hipkins on 2nd thought perhaps Richie Cunningham or Mickey Rooney is closer


Alfred E Neuman.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 17:37:56
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997769
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


dv said:

Bubblecar said:

dv said:

Could the NZPM look more like Archie Andrews? You decide.

Well the teeth are quite different for a start, prominent upper vs lower.


Witty Rejoinder said:


Cymek said:

Bubblecar said:


Dv might mean Archie from the Archie comics, but I assumed he meant Archie Andrews the British ventriloquist puppet.
dv said:

I’ve not heard of that puppet. I was indeed referring to the comic book character.


That picture is the Mad Magazine mascot

Nah it’s Pete Buttigieg.

Yeah I can see the resemblance to PB.

WRT Hipkins on 2nd thought perhaps Richie Cunningham or Mickey Rooney is closer


Alfred E Neuman.

Somewhere on an old harddrive I animated Alfred to spin around and around and change the smile on his face as he went.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 17:38:19
From: Cymek
ID: 1997770
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


dv said:

Bubblecar said:

dv said:

Could the NZPM look more like Archie Andrews? You decide.

Well the teeth are quite different for a start, prominent upper vs lower.


Witty Rejoinder said:


Cymek said:

Bubblecar said:


Dv might mean Archie from the Archie comics, but I assumed he meant Archie Andrews the British ventriloquist puppet.
dv said:

I’ve not heard of that puppet. I was indeed referring to the comic book character.


That picture is the Mad Magazine mascot

Nah it’s Pete Buttigieg.

Yeah I can see the resemblance to PB.

WRT Hipkins on 2nd thought perhaps Richie Cunningham or Mickey Rooney is closer


Alfred E Neuman.

If they reproduced they could be Alfred E Von Neuman machines

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 17:40:22
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997771
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Bubblecar said:

dv said:

Could the NZPM look more like Archie Andrews? You decide.

Well the teeth are quite different for a start, prominent upper vs lower.


Witty Rejoinder said:


Cymek said:

Bubblecar said:


Dv might mean Archie from the Archie comics, but I assumed he meant Archie Andrews the British ventriloquist puppet.
dv said:

I’ve not heard of that puppet. I was indeed referring to the comic book character.


That picture is the Mad Magazine mascot

Nah it’s Pete Buttigieg.

Yeah I can see the resemblance to PB.

WRT Hipkins on 2nd thought perhaps Richie Cunningham or Mickey Rooney is closer

Shaun Pollock is closer.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 17:42:11
From: Tamb
ID: 1997772
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Tamb said:

dv said:

Bubblecar said:

Yeah I can see the resemblance to PB.

WRT Hipkins on 2nd thought perhaps Richie Cunningham or Mickey Rooney is closer


Alfred E Neuman.

Somewhere on an old harddrive I animated Alfred to spin around and around and change the smile on his face as he went.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 17:49:29
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1997773
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:

roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

I hope you didn’t lose a load of good photographs.

Everything. It is weird because I’m now listed as having only 3 posts as a new member but I have 113 trophy points. So I lost all the content including photos. I can go through all the alerts that show where peopole either answered or liked my posts but when I click on the link, they are talking to a person that isn’t in the thread any more.

Shit

dang, what about local off line storage though

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 17:53:03
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997774
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

dv said:

roughbarked said:

Everything. It is weird because I’m now listed as having only 3 posts as a new member but I have 113 trophy points. So I lost all the content including photos. I can go through all the alerts that show where peopole either answered or liked my posts but when I click on the link, they are talking to a person that isn’t in the thread any more.

Shit

dang, what about local off line storage though

They are working on trying to restore stuff but according to their IT whiz, it doesn’t look likely.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 17:54:19
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997775
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Utter bastards.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 17:56:42
From: Tamb
ID: 1997776
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Utter bastards.

Logical.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 17:59:14
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997777
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Utter bastards.

Logical.

Kangaroos toss their joey out too.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 18:05:05
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997779
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Utter bastards.

Logical.

To me they were always the apotheosis of charm.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 18:18:16
From: dv
ID: 1997781
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


SCIENCE said:

dv said:

Shit

dang, what about local off line storage though

They are working on trying to restore stuff but according to their IT whiz, it doesn’t look likely.

But surely it still exists somewhere. Hard disk, thumb drive, ssd card in the cameras.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 18:19:23
From: ms spock
ID: 1997782
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


ms spock said:

I’m always torn whether views like this should ignored to avoid giving a tiny minority publicity, or seen more widely as a warning. This man is running for the NSW upper house.

I think DV posted this.

it’s shit. i hope he gets no votes.

I missed DVs post. I, too, hope he gets no votes. If they feel comfortable saying this outloud it is a real worry.

We have no off ramps for young white men who are radicalised online. ASIO has been warning of that radicalisation for over a decade.

It is not happy making at all, and does my head in.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 18:27:39
From: ms spock
ID: 1997787
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Around 600,000 bolts of lightning sizzled across WA skies yesterday, many of which sparked bushfires across the State.

Crews were battling intense conditions as severe thunderstorms bore down, bringing damaging gusty winds to the firegrounds for several hours. Hopetoun recorded the highest temp in the State, hitting 44.9 degrees and Southern Cross Airfield clocked a wind gust of 111 km/hour yesterday afternoon, as both towns had multiple fires ignited around them.

We currently have 58 active incidents across the State, including 3 Bushfire Watch and Acts and 6 Bushfire Advices. While milder conditions today are giving firefighters an opportunity to get the upper hand, thunderstorm activity is still zapping across Goldfields Midlands and Great Southern.

Thank you to the hundreds of personnel, career and volunteer firefighters, SES volunteers and support crews from DFES, local governments, Parks and Wildlife Service, local farmers and Western Australia Police Force who are all pitching in to protect their fellow West Aussies.

Not a lot of rain is expected to reach the ground until tomorrow, so if you’re in the area make sure your bushfire plan is ready to go.

Those people are just amazing!

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 18:27:47
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997788
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Utter bastards.

What predators eat quokkas?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 18:29:10
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997790
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Utter bastards.

What predators eat quokkas?

Anyway, it might be the other way around – she throws her baby out to save it. The lion or bear continues to chase the mother while the baby sneaks off to safety.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 18:31:28
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997792
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


roughbarked said:

SCIENCE said:

dang, what about local off line storage though

They are working on trying to restore stuff but according to their IT whiz, it doesn’t look likely.

But surely it still exists somewhere. Hard disk, thumb drive, ssd card in the cameras.

Today at 11:07 AM

Add bookmark #33

There are full backups available. Those who do not acutally work with computers may think that means you may just “put it back.”

It actually requires that the backup before the error be restored to an independent database and a group of queries be written to update the account on the live system. Since this is the first time we have experienced this in 20 years of operation those queries do not exist. This is true for all forum systems using XenForo and almost certainly all other forums as well.

Other types of systems such as transaction processing banking systems do maintain more elaborate backup systems that would allow you to roll back before the error, correct the error and then roll forward to the current state. I do not think there is any software for forum applications that has been built on that model.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 18:35:51
From: ms spock
ID: 1997794
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Hamilton high school gets title of 1st ‘language friendly’ secondary in North America

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 18:49:32
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997797
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

Hamilton high school gets title of 1st ‘language friendly’ secondary in North America

Link

Still using blackboards. Or maybe blackboards are back, I’m out of touch :)

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 19:07:34
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997800
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Colonial clothes & shoes found under floor:

Haul of early colonial artefacts discovered beneath Hobart barracks building

“We found lots of boots and shoes, and parts of boots and shoes, lots of material from red coats — so very early colonial military uniforms — and lots of convict material as well, which is really interesting,” Dr Hibbert said.

She said the site was likely a cobbler’s and tailor’s workshop before the barracks building was built in 1827.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-23/early-colonial-artefacts-found-under-hobart-barracks-building/102014160


Lovely. Perhaps it is good that it has remained in federal hands and ignored on the most part.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 19:09:33
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997802
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Could someone who knows how to email CB88 please email and ask if we can approve registrations for next week or so. Some old forummers have requested entry since the Sibeen thread started in the facebook group.

Bec Barton
1 h ·
Calling holiday forum admins.
I just tried to register, and it says “registration is currently closed.” Is this a temporary state of play, or does the forum just hate me?
I’ve never managed to login to the holiday forum, and haven’t quite got around to figuring out why. But I really want to – the threads in honour of Sibeen remind me that I miss you guys. I don’t want any more horrible accidents to show me that I’ve missed my chance to ever hang with you again. Facebook isn’t the same.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 19:10:26
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997803
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Could someone who knows how to email CB88 please email and ask if we can approve registrations for next week or so. Some old forummers have requested entry since the Sibeen thread started in the facebook group.

Bec Barton
1 h ·
Calling holiday forum admins.
I just tried to register, and it says “registration is currently closed.” Is this a temporary state of play, or does the forum just hate me?
I’ve never managed to login to the holiday forum, and haven’t quite got around to figuring out why. But I really want to – the threads in honour of Sibeen remind me that I miss you guys. I don’t want any more horrible accidents to show me that I’ve missed my chance to ever hang with you again. Facebook isn’t the same.

Sarah Hoogwater
I know exactly what you mean about FB not being the same, and Sibeen’s passing making you feel you’ve lost opportunities/time with all of the ‘lovely science people’ … I’ve been feeling the same way!
I can’t remember my old password, and don’t really want to go by my old username anymore (for a lot of reasons), so have been wanting to register a new username too, but haven’t been able to…
Thanks for asking here… I hadn’t even thought to! I really hope that this gets addressed soon.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 19:10:33
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1997804
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


dv said:

roughbarked said:

They are working on trying to restore stuff but according to their IT whiz, it doesn’t look likely.

But surely it still exists somewhere. Hard disk, thumb drive, ssd card in the cameras.

Today at 11:07 AM

Add bookmark #33

There are full backups available. Those who do not acutally work with computers may think that means you may just “put it back.”

It actually requires that the backup before the error be restored to an independent database and a group of queries be written to update the account on the live system. Since this is the first time we have experienced this in 20 years of operation those queries do not exist. This is true for all forum systems using XenForo and almost certainly all other forums as well.

Other types of systems such as transaction processing banking systems do maintain more elaborate backup systems that would allow you to roll back before the error, correct the error and then roll forward to the current state. I do not think there is any software for forum applications that has been built on that model.

Did anything get saved to the Wayback Machine (aka Internet Archive)?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 19:28:56
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997812
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

Could someone who knows how to email CB88 please email and ask if we can approve registrations for next week or so. Some old forummers have requested entry since the Sibeen thread started in the facebook group.

Bec Barton
1 h ·
Calling holiday forum admins.
I just tried to register, and it says “registration is currently closed.” Is this a temporary state of play, or does the forum just hate me?
I’ve never managed to login to the holiday forum, and haven’t quite got around to figuring out why. But I really want to – the threads in honour of Sibeen remind me that I miss you guys. I don’t want any more horrible accidents to show me that I’ve missed my chance to ever hang with you again. Facebook isn’t the same.

Sarah Hoogwater
I know exactly what you mean about FB not being the same, and Sibeen’s passing making you feel you’ve lost opportunities/time with all of the ‘lovely science people’ … I’ve been feeling the same way!
I can’t remember my old password, and don’t really want to go by my old username anymore (for a lot of reasons), so have been wanting to register a new username too, but haven’t been able to…
Thanks for asking here… I hadn’t even thought to! I really hope that this gets addressed soon.

cb88’s email address: forumadmin@tokyo3.org

I won’t email him ‘cos I think he’s sick of me bothering him and may not open it :)

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 19:31:53
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997814
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

Could someone who knows how to email CB88 please email and ask if we can approve registrations for next week or so. Some old forummers have requested entry since the Sibeen thread started in the facebook group.

Bec Barton
1 h ·
Calling holiday forum admins.
I just tried to register, and it says “registration is currently closed.” Is this a temporary state of play, or does the forum just hate me?
I’ve never managed to login to the holiday forum, and haven’t quite got around to figuring out why. But I really want to – the threads in honour of Sibeen remind me that I miss you guys. I don’t want any more horrible accidents to show me that I’ve missed my chance to ever hang with you again. Facebook isn’t the same.

Sarah Hoogwater
I know exactly what you mean about FB not being the same, and Sibeen’s passing making you feel you’ve lost opportunities/time with all of the ‘lovely science people’ … I’ve been feeling the same way!
I can’t remember my old password, and don’t really want to go by my old username anymore (for a lot of reasons), so have been wanting to register a new username too, but haven’t been able to…
Thanks for asking here… I hadn’t even thought to! I really hope that this gets addressed soon.

to: forumadmin@tokyo3.org

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 19:36:32
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997815
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:

Could someone who knows how to email CB88 please email and ask if we can approve registrations for next week or so. Some old forummers have requested entry since the Sibeen thread started in the facebook group.

Bec Barton
1 h ·
Calling holiday forum admins.
I just tried to register, and it says “registration is currently closed.” Is this a temporary state of play, or does the forum just hate me?
I’ve never managed to login to the holiday forum, and haven’t quite got around to figuring out why. But I really want to – the threads in honour of Sibeen remind me that I miss you guys. I don’t want any more horrible accidents to show me that I’ve missed my chance to ever hang with you again. Facebook isn’t the same.

Sarah Hoogwater
I know exactly what you mean about FB not being the same, and Sibeen’s passing making you feel you’ve lost opportunities/time with all of the ‘lovely science people’ … I’ve been feeling the same way!
I can’t remember my old password, and don’t really want to go by my old username anymore (for a lot of reasons), so have been wanting to register a new username too, but haven’t been able to…
Thanks for asking here… I hadn’t even thought to! I really hope that this gets addressed soon.

cb88’s email address: forumadmin@tokyo3.org

I won’t email him ‘cos I think he’s sick of me bothering him and may not open it :)

ta. done.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 19:36:57
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997817
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:

Could someone who knows how to email CB88 please email and ask if we can approve registrations for next week or so. Some old forummers have requested entry since the Sibeen thread started in the facebook group.

Bec Barton
1 h ·
Calling holiday forum admins.
I just tried to register, and it says “registration is currently closed.” Is this a temporary state of play, or does the forum just hate me?
I’ve never managed to login to the holiday forum, and haven’t quite got around to figuring out why. But I really want to – the threads in honour of Sibeen remind me that I miss you guys. I don’t want any more horrible accidents to show me that I’ve missed my chance to ever hang with you again. Facebook isn’t the same.

Sarah Hoogwater
I know exactly what you mean about FB not being the same, and Sibeen’s passing making you feel you’ve lost opportunities/time with all of the ‘lovely science people’ … I’ve been feeling the same way!
I can’t remember my old password, and don’t really want to go by my old username anymore (for a lot of reasons), so have been wanting to register a new username too, but haven’t been able to…
Thanks for asking here… I hadn’t even thought to! I really hope that this gets addressed soon.

to: forumadmin@tokyo3.org

:) ta.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 19:42:55
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997822
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Impact of single-axis agrivoltaics systems on non-irrigated grassland

US researchers are studying how agrivoltaic systems mounted on single-axis trackers affect rainfall and light redistribution at a 1.2 MW installation on grassland in Boulder, Colorado.

Scientists at Colorado State University are investigating how the redistribution of rainfall and light caused by agrivoltaic systems mounted on single-axis trackers can affect the growth of non-irrigated grassland. The study is part of the Sustainably Colocating Agricultural and Photovoltaic Electricity System (SCAPES) project, funded by the US Department of Agriculture.

“What we found is that on the drip edges of modules, depending on whether you’re tilting to the east or the west when there is a rainfall, you can get somewhere between two to five times the amount of precipitation dumped in one spot,” PhD student Matthew Sturchio told pv magazine. “If you want to quantify that for Colorado, it’s about changing the annual precipitation from 350 mm to 1,200 mm of rain. When you do that, you can really improve the amount of soil moisture that stays throughout the season, instead of letting it evaporate.”

More in the link.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 19:44:17
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997824
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Damn, mice are moving in early this year. Just spotted one scuttling across the linen room floor and it’s not even autumn yet.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 19:44:25
From: dv
ID: 1997825
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked my point is that you, personally, must have the photographs stored somewhere else, right?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 19:45:53
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997826
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


roughbarked my point is that you, personally, must have the photographs stored somewhere else, right?

Yeah.

All the very good advice I gave is still in my head as well.
It is just that history won’t remember me.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 19:46:35
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997827
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


dv said:

roughbarked my point is that you, personally, must have the photographs stored somewhere else, right?

Yeah.

All the very good advice I gave is still in my head as well.
It is just that history won’t remember me.

and they are sorry.

Yesterday at 11:14 PM
Yesterday when we were being attacked by Chinese Spam bots
Instead of killing the spammer I killed your account. Hopefully Tom
has fixed it, or is working on it.

I AM SO SORRY

Rob

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 19:49:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997829
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

Sarah Hoogwater
I know exactly what you mean about FB not being the same, and Sibeen’s passing making you feel you’ve lost opportunities/time with all of the ‘lovely science people’ … I’ve been feeling the same way!
I can’t remember my old password, and don’t really want to go by my old username anymore (for a lot of reasons), so have been wanting to register a new username too, but haven’t been able to…
Thanks for asking here… I hadn’t even thought to! I really hope that this gets addressed soon.

cb88’s email address: forumadmin@tokyo3.org

I won’t email him ‘cos I think he’s sick of me bothering him and may not open it :)

ta. done.

Goodo.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 19:56:49
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997831
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

cb88’s email address: forumadmin@tokyo3.org

I won’t email him ‘cos I think he’s sick of me bothering him and may not open it :)

ta. done.

Goodo.

Hi Ros,

Sorry to hear about Sibeen :(

Registration is open. Feel free to let the Facebook page know.

Cheers,
cb88

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 19:58:51
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997832
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

ta. done.

Goodo.

Hi Ros,

Sorry to hear about Sibeen :(

Registration is open. Feel free to let the Facebook page know.

Cheers,
cb88

That was quick :)

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 20:00:11
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997834
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Goodo.

Hi Ros,

Sorry to hear about Sibeen :(

Registration is open. Feel free to let the Facebook page know.

Cheers,
cb88

That was quick :)

its almost sylph surface.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 20:10:24
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997839
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

ta. done.

Goodo.

Hi Ros,

Sorry to hear about Sibeen :(

Registration is open. Feel free to let the Facebook page know.

Cheers,
cb88

Great, I’ve got a shed load of handles to register.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 20:17:46
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997845
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“Angus Crichton has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and will be given as much time as he needs to deal with the condition before returning to rugby league.”

Sounds like he’s done something bad.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 20:29:12
From: ms spock
ID: 1997847
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


ms spock said:

Hamilton high school gets title of 1st ‘language friendly’ secondary in North America

Link

Still using blackboards. Or maybe blackboards are back, I’m out of touch :)

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 20:40:39
From: ms spock
ID: 1997853
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

ta. done.

Goodo.

Hi Ros,

Sorry to hear about Sibeen :(

Registration is open. Feel free to let the Facebook page know.

Cheers,
cb88

How do they do it?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 20:42:59
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997854
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Goodo.

Hi Ros,

Sorry to hear about Sibeen :(

Registration is open. Feel free to let the Facebook page know.

Cheers,
cb88

How do they do it?

CB88 had registrations turned off because we occasionally get trolled or botted when the registrations are open.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 20:45:41
From: ms spock
ID: 1997856
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Goodo.

Hi Ros,

Sorry to hear about Sibeen :(

Registration is open. Feel free to let the Facebook page know.

Cheers,
cb88

Great, I’ve got a shed load of handles to register.

laughing here

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 20:48:25
From: Kingy
ID: 1997857
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Goodo.

Hi Ros,

Sorry to hear about Sibeen :(

Registration is open. Feel free to let the Facebook page know.

Cheers,
cb88

How do they do it?

If they have the link to here, this is what they should see. They might have to click on a post to reply.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 20:52:16
From: ScarlettaPimpernella
ID: 1997858
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


ms spock said:

sarahs mum said:

Hi Ros,

Sorry to hear about Sibeen :(

Registration is open. Feel free to let the Facebook page know.

Cheers,
cb88

How do they do it?

If they have the link to here, this is what they should see. They might have to click on a post to reply.


Go raibh maith agat Kingy! Thank you!

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 20:53:52
From: buffy
ID: 1997859
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

ta. done.

Goodo.

Hi Ros,

Sorry to hear about Sibeen :(

Registration is open. Feel free to let the Facebook page know.

Cheers,
cb88

Thanks for doing that sm.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 20:56:25
From: party_pants
ID: 1997862
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Goodo.

Hi Ros,

Sorry to hear about Sibeen :(

Registration is open. Feel free to let the Facebook page know.

Cheers,
cb88

Thanks for doing that sm.

are we getting some newbies in here?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 20:57:07
From: buffy
ID: 1997864
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


buffy said:

sarahs mum said:

Hi Ros,

Sorry to hear about Sibeen :(

Registration is open. Feel free to let the Facebook page know.

Cheers,
cb88

Thanks for doing that sm.

are we getting some newbies in here?

Old newbies who forgot about us but want to come back.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:00:18
From: marksierra
ID: 1997867
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


party_pants said:

buffy said:

Thanks for doing that sm.

are we getting some newbies in here?

Old newbies who forgot about us but want to come back.

I’m not an old newbie. I just remembered I had a second login.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:01:04
From: buffy
ID: 1997869
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Yesterday I noticed a crowd of cabbage whites flying around my garlic chives, which are in flower. I would never have thought to use garlic chives as a trap crop to spare my cabbagy plants. Perhaps I need to plant more of them. Although they don’t flower at the right time for when I am growing broccoli in Winter. I usually wait until the cabbage white population drops off before planting broccoli. Right now quite a few paddocks have turnips for a Summer crop, so there are a lot of cabbage whites.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:02:30
From: buffy
ID: 1997871
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

marksierra said:


buffy said:

party_pants said:

are we getting some newbies in here?

Old newbies who forgot about us but want to come back.

I’m not an old newbie. I just remembered I had a second login.

:)

I’ve got two also. I think I had a third one, but I don’t know if I registered it here or only at SSSF all those years ago. I should see if it will let me in.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:02:52
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1997872
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Goodo.

Hi Ros,

Sorry to hear about Sibeen :(

Registration is open. Feel free to let the Facebook page know.

Cheers,
cb88

Great, I’ve got a shed load of handles to register.

Me too!

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:03:14
From: Lord_Lucan
ID: 1997873
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m going to have to make a list.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:03:45
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1997875
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


marksierra said:

buffy said:

Old newbies who forgot about us but want to come back.

I’m not an old newbie. I just remembered I had a second login.

:)

I’ve got two also. I think I had a third one, but I don’t know if I registered it here or only at SSSF all those years ago. I should see if it will let me in.

Go on!

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:04:09
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1997876
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

you should all know all my handles I use here. I have no secret ones.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:04:37
From: OCDC
ID: 1997877
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


you should all know all my handles I use here. I have no secret ones.

+127

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:04:41
From: buffy
ID: 1997878
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


marksierra said:

buffy said:

Old newbies who forgot about us but want to come back.

I’m not an old newbie. I just remembered I had a second login.

:)

I’ve got two also. I think I had a third one, but I don’t know if I registered it here or only at SSSF all those years ago. I should see if it will let me in.

Nup, doesn’t work here. Although it is possible I’ve forgotten how I spelt it at the time.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:07:39
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1997880
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sigh

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:08:54
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1997881
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


sigh

And it’s all sibeen’s fault.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:10:56
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1997883
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I just checked one of my email accounts and this popped up

Somehow, I don’t think I’ll be opening it – not with that return address!

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:11:15
From: ScarlettaPimpernella
ID: 1997885
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

So many sentiments expressed which are touching my heart, and eyes getting a bit of sand it in too, from time to time!

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:12:22
From: DoublePostingResumeWriter
ID: 1997887
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good to see so many folks coming back!

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:14:10
From: badchap
ID: 1997888
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


party_pants said:

buffy said:

Thanks for doing that sm.

are we getting some newbies in here?

Old newbies who forgot about us but want to come back.

Old newbies didn’t forget about anyone. Maybe just not very well known or interacted with?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:14:36
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1997890
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

DoublePostingResumeWriter said:

Good to see so many folks coming back!

But you’re only just down the hallway!

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:15:22
From: buffy
ID: 1997892
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


SCIENCE said:

sigh

And it’s all sibeen’s fault.

As always…and if it’s not his fault, it is Arts’ fault.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:15:54
From: funsparkle_cleenydust
ID: 1997893
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

DoublePostingResumeWriter said:

Good to see so many folks coming back!

I never left. I was just lurking under the bathroom sink.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:17:01
From: buffy
ID: 1997895
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

badchap said:


buffy said:

party_pants said:

are we getting some newbies in here?

Old newbies who forgot about us but want to come back.

Old newbies didn’t forget about anyone. Maybe just not very well known or interacted with?

Not you, you didn’t go away. But there were some comments from people who have forgotten their login so can’t resume transmission.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:17:07
From: Arts
ID: 1997896
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


you should all know all my handles I use here. I have no secret ones.

me either.. .

now

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:17:49
From: dv
ID: 1997898
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Naplan year, lord help us

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:17:58
From: DoublePostingResumeWriter
ID: 1997899
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


DoublePostingResumeWriter said:

Good to see so many folks coming back!

But you’re only just down the hallway!

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:18:01
From: buffy
ID: 1997900
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


ChrispenEvan said:

you should all know all my handles I use here. I have no secret ones.

me either.. .

now

But of course, with registration open again, you can fix that. I expect you may already have done so.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:20:01
From: ms spock
ID: 1997903
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

SCIENCE said:

sigh

And it’s all sibeen’s fault.

As always…and if it’s not his fault, it is Arts’ fault.

And thus there is balance in the universe…

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:21:29
From: Arts
ID: 1997905
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Arts said:

ChrispenEvan said:

you should all know all my handles I use here. I have no secret ones.

me either.. .

now

But of course, with registration open again, you can fix that. I expect you may already have done so.

nah… without Shebs this forum is losing it’s appeal

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:22:34
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1997906
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


buffy said:

Arts said:

me either.. .

now

But of course, with registration open again, you can fix that. I expect you may already have done so.

nah… without Shebs this forum is losing it’s appeal

you could start reading my posts!

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:24:07
From: Arts
ID: 1997907
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Arts said:

buffy said:

But of course, with registration open again, you can fix that. I expect you may already have done so.

nah… without Shebs this forum is losing it’s appeal

you could start reading my posts!

no one reads your posts

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:25:38
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 1997909
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

In stark contrast to my proliferation of handles on the SSSF, I have only the one here.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:30:10
From: buffy
ID: 1997911
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Just tried a couple of different ways of spelling the other SSSF handle I used to use (until I managed to out myself one night) but I must never have registered it here.

It’s still 25 degrees outside here, so we are going to bed with the aircon and ceiling fans going. If it cools down later I’ll open up the house if I wake up.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:30:12
From: dv
ID: 1997912
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


In stark contrast to my proliferation of handles on the SSSF, I have only the one here.

Same

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:32:54
From: OCDC
ID: 1997915
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Spiny Norman said:

In stark contrast to my proliferation of handles on the SSSF, I have only the one here.

Same

Ditto.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:33:29
From: buffy
ID: 1997916
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


dv said:

Spiny Norman said:

In stark contrast to my proliferation of handles on the SSSF, I have only the one here.

Same

Ditto.

Perhaps there is no need to hide here.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:36:11
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1997917
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Arts said:

nah… without Shebs this forum is losing it’s appeal

you could start reading my posts!

no one reads your posts

I do get that feeling sometimes.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:40:01
From: tauto
ID: 1997918
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Arts said:

ChrispenEvan said:

you could start reading my posts!

no one reads your posts

I do get that feeling sometimes.

__

Gets out very tiny violin..

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 21:47:01
From: Arts
ID: 1997921
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Arts said:

ChrispenEvan said:

you could start reading my posts!

no one reads your posts

I do get that feeling sometimes.

it’s pretty difficult to answer your posts when people are rolling their eyes so much…

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 22:03:27
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997922
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Maatsuyker Island today by Di. She spottoed 14 yachts and 2 fishing boats.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 22:20:46
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1997923
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Maatsuyker Island today by Di. She spottoed 14 yachts and 2 fishing boats.


Stunning view!

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 22:35:56
From: party_pants
ID: 1997924
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Arts said:

no one reads your posts

I do get that feeling sometimes.

it’s pretty difficult to answer your posts when people are rolling their eyes so much…

I generally read everybody’s posts, but most of the time I have nothing much to say. That is when I’m around. These days I am way to busy at work to even pop in on my lunch break. So it is only in the evenings WA time, and by then some of you have already headed off to bed.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 22:37:36
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997925
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


sarahs mum said:

Maatsuyker Island today by Di. She spottoed 14 yachts and 2 fishing boats.


Stunning view!

She is there with her hubby. They are on their second stint being resident lighthousekeepers.
The job isn’t for everyone.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 22:47:24
From: transition
ID: 1997926
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

coffee and toast between wetting yard down

it is a warm night, plenty fine dust in the air, see’f I can fix that

in other news, my best blird pictures today..

flies too quick and too far away, brief too maybe five wasn’t there long

imagine my disappointment

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 22:55:06
From: btm
ID: 1997928
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


AussieDJ said:

sarahs mum said:

Maatsuyker Island today by Di. She spottoed 14 yachts and 2 fishing boats.


Stunning view!

She is there with her hubby. They are on their second stint being resident lighthousekeepers.
The job isn’t for everyone.

Do you think you’d be suitable, sm?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 23:04:41
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997930
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


sarahs mum said:

AussieDJ said:

Stunning view!

She is there with her hubby. They are on their second stint being resident lighthousekeepers.
The job isn’t for everyone.

Do you think you’d be suitable, sm?

Wouldn’t pass the psych testing. But I could organise a helicopter drop of supplies that would make me happy for months. I could bake and garden. they spend quite a lot of time doing that.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 23:16:03
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1997931
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


btm said:

sarahs mum said:

She is there with her hubby. They are on their second stint being resident lighthousekeepers.
The job isn’t for everyone.

Do you think you’d be suitable, sm?

Wouldn’t pass the psych testing. But I could organise a helicopter drop of supplies that would make me happy for months. I could bake and garden. they spend quite a lot of time doing that.

It’s about a three-month stint, I think.
Don’t prospective light-keepers have to guesstimate how much stuff (food, consumables and other products) they’re likely to need for the duration of their stint before they depart for the Island? Or can they call the local supermarket and have their supplies dropped off by helicopter? It’s a bit far for the grocer to row out in his runabout.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 23:19:19
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1997932
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


sarahs mum said:

btm said:

Do you think you’d be suitable, sm?

Wouldn’t pass the psych testing. But I could organise a helicopter drop of supplies that would make me happy for months. I could bake and garden. they spend quite a lot of time doing that.

It’s about a three-month stint, I think.
Don’t prospective light-keepers have to guesstimate how much stuff (food, consumables and other products) they’re likely to need for the duration of their stint before they depart for the Island? Or can they call the local supermarket and have their supplies dropped off by helicopter? It’s a bit far for the grocer to row out in his runabout.

Correction: Volunteers stay on the island for six months at a time.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 23:28:02
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997933
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


sarahs mum said:

btm said:

Do you think you’d be suitable, sm?

Wouldn’t pass the psych testing. But I could organise a helicopter drop of supplies that would make me happy for months. I could bake and garden. they spend quite a lot of time doing that.

It’s about a three-month stint, I think.
Don’t prospective light-keepers have to guesstimate how much stuff (food, consumables and other products) they’re likely to need for the duration of their stint before they depart for the Island? Or can they call the local supermarket and have their supplies dropped off by helicopter? It’s a bit far for the grocer to row out in his runabout.

they get dropped off with supplies and then there is one more helicopter drop off in the season. There has been visitors now and then.

She is a printmaker. she took a bunch of lino and pre cut papers and ink and a little hand barron. And she made some lovely work and quickly ran out of materials. But she has half a show ready to print.

There is a weight limit in the helicopter drops.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 23:29:23
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997934
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

There has been visitors now and then.
——

Last week a yachtie dropped by and gave them lobsters.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 23:30:39
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997935
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

There is a lot of mowing. a stupid amount.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/02/2023 23:52:51
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1997936
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


There is a lot of mowing. a stupid amount.

Being a wildlife refuge/sanctuary, it would be unwise to introduce, say, a flock of same-sexed(?) sheep or goats to help with keeping the grass down for fear of having seabird nesting sites damaged. So, mowing it is.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 00:41:08
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1997950
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

This really puts humpback whales’ true size into perspective. Video by Cassie Jensen.

https://twitter.com/fasc1nate/status/1627986344604495874?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 01:16:11
From: transition
ID: 1997952
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

lady’s up, says there’s something big getting around in the yard,
and there couple stray sheep, pushed them into outer yard,
get to them in the morn

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 02:08:16
From: Kothos
ID: 1997956
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Naplan year, lord help us

For your kids?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 02:15:24
From: Kothos
ID: 1997957
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


There is a lot of mowing. a stupid amount.

Sounds like my house.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 02:59:23
From: kii
ID: 1997959
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


This really puts humpback whales’ true size into perspective. Video by Cassie Jensen.

https://twitter.com/fasc1nate/status/1627986344604495874?

The boat and people are not that close to the breaching whale.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 03:01:07
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997960
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Yesterday I noticed a crowd of cabbage whites flying around my garlic chives, which are in flower. I would never have thought to use garlic chives as a trap crop to spare my cabbagy plants. Perhaps I need to plant more of them. Although they don’t flower at the right time for when I am growing broccoli in Winter. I usually wait until the cabbage white population drops off before planting broccoli. Right now quite a few paddocks have turnips for a Summer crop, so there are a lot of cabbage whites.


Pieris rapae are good pollinating insects.
So too are garlic chives a good trap for many insects.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 03:07:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997962
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


I just checked one of my email accounts and this popped up

Somehow, I don’t think I’ll be opening it – not with that return address!


Should alert those who need to know.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 04:10:12
From: Eagle_Fangs
ID: 1997965
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


dv said:

Spiny Norman said:

In stark contrast to my proliferation of handles on the SSSF, I have only the one here.

Same

Ditto.

Cool, I have 2!

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 04:13:30
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997966
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Eagle_Fangs said:


OCDC said:

dv said:

Same

Ditto.

Cool, I have 2!

Maybe I should register a few.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 04:17:09
From: Eagle_Fangs
ID: 1997967
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Over the border in Juárez, MX

Sphynx cat tattooed in jail.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 04:17:52
From: Eagle_Fangs
ID: 1997968
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Eagle_Fangs said:

OCDC said:

Ditto.

Cool, I have 2!

Maybe I should register a few.

This is a really, really old one.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 04:24:31
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997969
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Eagle_Fangs said:


roughbarked said:

Eagle_Fangs said:

Cool, I have 2!

Maybe I should register a few.

This is a really, really old one.

Most of us are becoming that.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 04:28:02
From: roughbarked
ID: 1997970
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Anyway, good morning.
for Friday
Sunny. Winds E 15 to 25 km/h turning NE 25 to 35 km/h before dawn. Overnight temperatures falling to between 14 and 20 with daytime temperatures reaching 30 to 35.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 06:27:15
From: buffy
ID: 1997974
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 18 degrees, no wind and still dark. I’ve got the house open to catch the coolth. We are forecast windy 36 degrees, we’ve got an extreme fire weather warning and our first Total Fire Ban of the season. It’s late for a TFB, but the Western plains are now well cured and ready to burn.

I was going to quickly mow in the backyard this morning, but I’ll not do that now. I’ll rake up the gum leaves instead of using the catcher on them. I guess later as it heats up I’ll be back inside. I found a memory stick with some photos on it on Mr buffy’s desk the other day. I should go through it and see if it’s got ones I’d forgotten about on it.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 07:20:15
From: ms spock
ID: 1997977
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dia daoich one and all!

I hope you, mr buffy and all the folks your way will be safe.

Cool here and over cast.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 07:40:40
From: neddles
ID: 1997980
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Is this thing on?

waves at people

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 07:41:59
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997981
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

neddles said:


Is this thing on?

waves at people

hello stranger.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 07:43:13
From: neddles
ID: 1997982
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Hey SM, saw the Facebook post from Bec, decided to jump on the bandwagon :)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 07:45:14
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1997983
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

neddles said:


Hey SM, saw the Facebook post from Bec, decided to jump on the bandwagon :)

Well done. Welcome to the bandwagon.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 09:06:40
From: ms spock
ID: 1997989
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

neddles said:


Is this thing on?

waves at people

****waves back!****

Dia duit neddles! (hello!)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 09:07:40
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1997990
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning all, gave the car a wash, now having coffee.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 09:12:47
From: DoublePostingResumeWriter
ID: 1997991
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Morning all, gave the car a wash, now having coffee.

Well deserved I am sure…

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 09:15:40
From: LPlaterfoghlaimeoirGaeilge
ID: 1997992
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

L Plater foghlaimeoir Gaeilge = L Plater Irish learner

That’s my last one! I promise!

LOLOLOL

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 09:19:01
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1997993
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Upward lightning sprouting from broadcast towers near Robertson captured on camera by storm chaser

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 09:26:03
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1997994
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

DoublePostingResumeWriter said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Morning all, gave the car a wash, now having coffee.

Well deserved I am sure…

Keeping busy keeps the blues away.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 09:27:43
From: LPlaterfoghlaimeoirGaeilge
ID: 1997995
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


DoublePostingResumeWriter said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Morning all, gave the car a wash, now having coffee.

Well deserved I am sure…

Keeping busy keeps the blues away.

Tá tú chomh ceart Tau.Neutrino! You are so right Tau.Neutrino!

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 09:28:59
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1997996
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Good morning Holidayers. Presently 18 degrees, no wind and still dark. I’ve got the house open to catch the coolth. We are forecast windy 36 degrees, we’ve got an extreme fire weather warning and our first Total Fire Ban of the season. It’s late for a TFB, but the Western plains are now well cured and ready to burn.

I was going to quickly mow in the backyard this morning, but I’ll not do that now. I’ll rake up the gum leaves instead of using the catcher on them. I guess later as it heats up I’ll be back inside. I found a memory stick with some photos on it on Mr buffy’s desk the other day. I should go through it and see if it’s got ones I’d forgotten about on it.

Heading for 29 here (downgraded from 31) but I certainly don’t envy your extra 7 degrees.

Found mouse poo on the kitchen counters today so I have to be organising traps. You’d think they’d wait for the cooler weather before staging the seasonal home invasions.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 09:50:32
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998004
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

neddles said:


Is this thing on?

waves at people

Who left the door open? :)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 09:59:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998007
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

neddles said:


Is this thing on?

waves at people

Welcome back Neddles :)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 10:02:39
From: transition
ID: 1998009
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Upward lightning sprouting from broadcast towers near Robertson captured on camera by storm chaser

watched that, nice one, big zappies

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 11:01:45
From: buffy
ID: 1998031
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-24/friday-news-quiz/102015000

5/10 five guesses, one of them turned out to be right. So one of the ones I thought I knew I got wrong (the alligator one).

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 11:16:40
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998040
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-24/friday-news-quiz/102015000

5/10 five guesses, one of them turned out to be right. So one of the ones I thought I knew I got wrong (the alligator one).

Same here.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 11:39:46
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998051
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Looks like a lot of posters are coming back now that sibeen’s gone, gee he must have been a bastard.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 12:36:57
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998066
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Lunch: two pieces of shark cooked in garlic butter and lemon juice with parsley and zucchini from the Ross sister’s garden. Served with savoury rice.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 12:38:41
From: transition
ID: 1998068
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

plovers quite territorial will chase off hawks

anyway quite a few there near where friend tern landed, they came toward tern, tern sounds and looks all go away

and coffee landed

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:00:41
From: Ian
ID: 1998091
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


plovers quite territorial will chase off hawks

anyway quite a few there near where friend tern landed, they came toward tern, tern sounds and looks all go away

and coffee landed

Masked Lapwing/Plover.. sometimes aggressive and mind-numbingly stupid bird. I was visiting some friends who pointed out the bowling club adjacent to the beach where the plovers had nested smack in the middle of the green. It was quite a battle to relocate them I was told.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:07:27
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1998097
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter for death of Halyna Hutchins on set of Rust film

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:09:59
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998101
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter for death of Halyna Hutchins on set of Rust film

I wonder if this film will be released?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:12:15
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998102
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter for death of Halyna Hutchins on set of Rust film

I wonder if this film will be released?

I thought they’d ceased shooting it due to the incident?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:12:55
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1998104
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter for death of Halyna Hutchins on set of Rust film

I wonder if this film will be released?

They should leave it to rust.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:13:45
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1998105
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter for death of Halyna Hutchins on set of Rust film

I wonder if this film will be released?

I thought they’d ceased shooting it due to the incident?

ceased shooting, what, you communists and your human rights violating gun restrictions

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:16:02
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998106
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

I wonder if this film will be released?

I thought they’d ceased shooting it due to the incident?

ceased shooting, what, you communists and your human rights violating gun restrictions

The pun was intended. ;)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:16:36
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1998108
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

I wonder if this film will be released?

I thought they’d ceased shooting it due to the incident?

ceased shooting, what, you communists and your human rights violating gun restrictions

Its almost like fries over there, do want guns with that.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:17:55
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1998109
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

I thought they’d ceased shooting it due to the incident?

ceased shooting, what, you communists and your human rights violating gun restrictions

Its almost like fries over there, do want guns with that.

geez

Its almost like fries over there, do you want guns with that.

fixed

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:18:32
From: ms spock
ID: 1998110
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter for death of Halyna Hutchins on set of Rust film

What a nightmare of a situation!

But it’s not much for a life.

Under New Mexico law, the involuntary manslaughter charges against Mr Baldwin — a lead actor and co-producer on Rust — and Ms Gutierrez-Reed are punishable by up to 18 months in jail and a $US5,000 ($A7,340) fine.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:19:29
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1998112
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter for death of Halyna Hutchins on set of Rust film

What a nightmare of a situation!

But it’s not much for a life.

Under New Mexico law, the involuntary manslaughter charges against Mr Baldwin — a lead actor and co-producer on Rust — and Ms Gutierrez-Reed are punishable by up to 18 months in jail and a $US5,000 ($A7,340) fine.

Agree.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:19:36
From: fsm
ID: 1998113
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

SCIENCE said:

ceased shooting, what, you communists and your human rights violating gun restrictions

Its almost like fries over there, do want guns with that.

geez

Its almost like fries over there, do you want guns with that.

fixed

It’s almost like fries over there, do you want guns with that?

Fixed.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:21:22
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1998114
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

fsm said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Its almost like fries over there, do want guns with that.

geez

Its almost like fries over there, do you want guns with that.

fixed

It’s almost like fries over there, do you want guns with that?

Fixed.

It got fixed twice.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:22:14
From: Michael V
ID: 1998116
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter for death of Halyna Hutchins on set of Rust film

I wonder if this film will be released?

I thought they’d ceased shooting it due to the incident?

I see what you did there.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:23:09
From: ms spock
ID: 1998117
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Michael V said:

sarahs mum said:

Gardening in Tasmania

Is that a Tiger snake?

Large head (Tasmanian tigers have larger heads), yellow underneath. Here is a link to observations of them recently on iNaturalist.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=6829&taxon_id=35178

The stripes aren’t always visible and sometimes they are sleek and black. I’ve learnt this by clicking on the snake identifications over the past few months. I’m gradually getting an idea of the different ones.

Iontach! (Amazing!)

You are like doing your own Phd around all this new information buffy!

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:25:18
From: ms spock
ID: 1998118
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

Michael V said:

A lot of money for a dog that wants to ruin your clothes and steal the food from your hand.

and then pack up and go to Bothwell.

Why Bothwell?

But the real question is, does Clover speak Irish (Gaeilge)?

Maybe Clover needs instructions in another language?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:25:52
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998119
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Lunch: two pieces of shark cooked in garlic butter and lemon juice with parsley and zucchini from the Ross sister’s garden. Served with savoury rice.

Actually I’ll leave the fish-baking until the cool of the evening, and just have some of the savoury rice for lunch.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:26:32
From: ms spock
ID: 1998120
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:



I know the Irish for this one!

Tá mé ag gáire (I am laughing!)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:29:35
From: buffy
ID: 1998123
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


buffy said:

Michael V said:

Is that a Tiger snake?

Large head (Tasmanian tigers have larger heads), yellow underneath. Here is a link to observations of them recently on iNaturalist.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=6829&taxon_id=35178

The stripes aren’t always visible and sometimes they are sleek and black. I’ve learnt this by clicking on the snake identifications over the past few months. I’m gradually getting an idea of the different ones.

Iontach! (Amazing!)

You are like doing your own Phd around all this new information buffy!

It’s surprising how much you pick up just by repetition. I just looked at a picture of an Eastern brown snake this morning. I wasn’t confident to confirm the ID, but I’m pretty sure that’s what it was. They have small heads. And are mostly long and skinny.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:30:47
From: buffy
ID: 1998126
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Lunch: two pieces of shark cooked in garlic butter and lemon juice with parsley and zucchini from the Ross sister’s garden. Served with savoury rice.

Actually I’ll leave the fish-baking until the cool of the evening, and just have some of the savoury rice for lunch.

I had fairy bread for lunch. White bread, butter and sprinkles. Because I could. And a medium glass of ice + home made lemonade + commercial orange juice drink. The lemonade damps down the sweetness of the commercial juice quite effectively.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:31:52
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998128
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


ms spock said:

buffy said:

Large head (Tasmanian tigers have larger heads), yellow underneath. Here is a link to observations of them recently on iNaturalist.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=6829&taxon_id=35178

The stripes aren’t always visible and sometimes they are sleek and black. I’ve learnt this by clicking on the snake identifications over the past few months. I’m gradually getting an idea of the different ones.

Iontach! (Amazing!)

You are like doing your own Phd around all this new information buffy!

It’s surprising how much you pick up just by repetition. I just looked at a picture of an Eastern brown snake this morning. I wasn’t confident to confirm the ID, but I’m pretty sure that’s what it was. They have small heads. And are mostly long and skinny.

Yes.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:33:42
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1998131
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter for death of Halyna Hutchins on set of Rust film

I wonder if this film will be released?

I thought they’d ceased shooting it due to the incident?

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:34:34
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998132
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Lunch: two pieces of shark cooked in garlic butter and lemon juice with parsley and zucchini from the Ross sister’s garden. Served with savoury rice.

Actually I’ll leave the fish-baking until the cool of the evening, and just have some of the savoury rice for lunch.

I put some leftover mashed potato and pumpkin in the fridge last night.
I’ll be having that spread on bread for lunch.
There will also be some dried camelia leaves involved in the libation.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:42:23
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1998137
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

bad for society perhaps but still well played

Marrogi, a convicted murderer and self-styled gang leader, began using a prison phone to regularly call his law firm in July 2021. However the calls automatically diverted to Mannella, who answered her phone pretending to be the firm’s receptionist.

November 2021, federal police launched Operation Fuji and tuned in to Marrogi and Mannella’s daily phone calls, which were laced with codewords

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:43:45
From: buffy
ID: 1998138
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

ms spock said:

Iontach! (Amazing!)

You are like doing your own Phd around all this new information buffy!

It’s surprising how much you pick up just by repetition. I just looked at a picture of an Eastern brown snake this morning. I wasn’t confident to confirm the ID, but I’m pretty sure that’s what it was. They have small heads. And are mostly long and skinny.

Yes.

You know that thing about if you’ve got bluetongue lizards you won’t have snakes…have a look at this observation. And read the conversation underneath. You can click across the series of photos. If you click on one of the photos, you can then enlarge it by clicking on it again. If you want to see details.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/144535421

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:44:17
From: LPlaterfoghlaimeoirGaeilge
ID: 1998140
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


ms spock said:

buffy said:

Large head (Tasmanian tigers have larger heads), yellow underneath. Here is a link to observations of them recently on iNaturalist.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=6829&taxon_id=35178

The stripes aren’t always visible and sometimes they are sleek and black. I’ve learnt this by clicking on the snake identifications over the past few months. I’m gradually getting an idea of the different ones.

Iontach! (Amazing!)

You are like doing your own Phd around all this new information buffy!

It’s surprising how much you pick up just by repetition. I just looked at a picture of an Eastern brown snake this morning. I wasn’t confident to confirm the ID, but I’m pretty sure that’s what it was. They have small heads. And are mostly long and skinny.

I laughed with recognition when I read your comment that it is surprising how much you pick up with repetition buffy! I have a new hobby learning Gaeilge and I am finding the same thing.

Also the snakes don’t read the ID books, (how outrageous) and in NSW we can have red bellied black snakes that have regional variation with colour, just to make it a little bit trickier.

I was volunteering at one of the local bat rescue up here pre Covid and I saw all the hatchlings of red bellied black snakes just near where everyone parked. They are more dangerous younger (apparently from what I read and have been told in my training) as they don’t have as much control over wet bites and dry bites. But I did that a long time ago and more research may have been done.

It’s exciting to make an identification!

I hope you have a snake bandage with you at all times just in case of a bite? The one with the squares is good. I know you have mr buffy the Ciallmhar agus Eolasach (Wise and Knowledgeable)! But if you are on your own…

I am so enjoying seeing your purdie flowers and your enthusiasm and learning. It’s made me think of just walking around and doing the same thing.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:44:45
From: LPlaterfoghlaimeoirGaeilge
ID: 1998141
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Lunch: two pieces of shark cooked in garlic butter and lemon juice with parsley and zucchini from the Ross sister’s garden. Served with savoury rice.

Actually I’ll leave the fish-baking until the cool of the evening, and just have some of the savoury rice for lunch.

I had fairy bread for lunch. White bread, butter and sprinkles. Because I could. And a medium glass of ice + home made lemonade + commercial orange juice drink. The lemonade damps down the sweetness of the commercial juice quite effectively.

fixed in my heart and mind forever

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:50:25
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998145
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

It’s surprising how much you pick up just by repetition. I just looked at a picture of an Eastern brown snake this morning. I wasn’t confident to confirm the ID, but I’m pretty sure that’s what it was. They have small heads. And are mostly long and skinny.

Yes.

You know that thing about if you’ve got bluetongue lizards you won’t have snakes…have a look at this observation. And read the conversation underneath. You can click across the series of photos. If you click on one of the photos, you can then enlarge it by clicking on it again. If you want to see details.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/144535421

Yes. That one is an old wives tale or somesuch.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:51:40
From: Arts
ID: 1998146
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter for death of Halyna Hutchins on set of Rust film

What a nightmare of a situation!

But it’s not much for a life.

Under New Mexico law, the involuntary manslaughter charges against Mr Baldwin — a lead actor and co-producer on Rust — and Ms Gutierrez-Reed are punishable by up to 18 months in jail and a $US5,000 ($A7,340) fine.

the law does not quantify victimisation… only the acts of the offender and the circumstances of those acts

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:52:58
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1998147
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:

ms spock said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter for death of Halyna Hutchins on set of Rust film

What a nightmare of a situation!

But it’s not much for a life.

Under New Mexico law, the involuntary manslaughter charges against Mr Baldwin — a lead actor and co-producer on Rust — and Ms Gutierrez-Reed are punishable by up to 18 months in jail and a $US5,000 ($A7,340) fine.

the law does not quantify victimisation… only the acts of the offender and the circumstances of those acts

we thought their law was adversarial and punitive though, win as much as you can

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:54:03
From: Arts
ID: 1998148
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Lunch: two pieces of shark cooked in garlic butter and lemon juice with parsley and zucchini from the Ross sister’s garden. Served with savoury rice.

Actually I’ll leave the fish-baking until the cool of the evening, and just have some of the savoury rice for lunch.

I had fairy bread for lunch. White bread, butter and sprinkles. Because I could. And a medium glass of ice + home made lemonade + commercial orange juice drink. The lemonade damps down the sweetness of the commercial juice quite effectively.

I do not like fairy bread… so you can also have my share… but you sparked a memory in me and so I just ate some celery with peanut butter on them.. and I forgot how delicious it is.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:56:44
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998149
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


buffy said:

Bubblecar said:

Actually I’ll leave the fish-baking until the cool of the evening, and just have some of the savoury rice for lunch.

I had fairy bread for lunch. White bread, butter and sprinkles. Because I could. And a medium glass of ice + home made lemonade + commercial orange juice drink. The lemonade damps down the sweetness of the commercial juice quite effectively.

I do not like fairy bread… so you can also have my share… but you sparked a memory in me and so I just ate some celery with peanut butter on them.. and I forgot how delicious it is.

Now I’m going to have to go try that.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 13:57:07
From: Arts
ID: 1998150
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

Arts said:

ms spock said:

What a nightmare of a situation!

But it’s not much for a life.

Under New Mexico law, the involuntary manslaughter charges against Mr Baldwin — a lead actor and co-producer on Rust — and Ms Gutierrez-Reed are punishable by up to 18 months in jail and a $US5,000 ($A7,340) fine.

the law does not quantify victimisation… only the acts of the offender and the circumstances of those acts

we thought their law was adversarial and punitive though, win as much as you can

our laws are also adversarial and punitive… they just have more lawyers

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 14:00:32
From: Cymek
ID: 1998152
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter for death of Halyna Hutchins on set of Rust film

Probably find he will be found not guilty on criminal charges (he’s famous and that) and lose a civil case.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 14:01:01
From: Arts
ID: 1998153
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter for death of Halyna Hutchins on set of Rust film

Probably find he will be found not guilty on criminal charges (he’s famous and that) and lose a civil case.

your cynicism is showing :)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 14:01:22
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998154
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter for death of Halyna Hutchins on set of Rust film

Probably find he will be found not guilty on criminal charges (he’s famous and that) and lose a civil case.

The family are suing him and the armourer anyway.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 14:03:39
From: Arts
ID: 1998155
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Cymek said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter for death of Halyna Hutchins on set of Rust film

Probably find he will be found not guilty on criminal charges (he’s famous and that) and lose a civil case.

The family are suing him and the armourer anyway.

that’s the civicl case that Cymek predicts he will lose

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 14:05:38
From: buffy
ID: 1998157
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I just went on a little tour through the iNaturalist observations of Eastern brown snakes, filtered for Victoria. I learned that sometimes they have a black head and collar. I also learned that this one must be full (not hungry), dead (I don’t think so) or trying to decide which frog to snaffle. I mean really! There is a frog underneath it and two of them are crawling all over it.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 14:05:52
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1998158
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

My phone is not working again. All the phones on this street are not working again. I presume the people next to Matt#1 have been too enthusiastic with their dozer again.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 14:07:00
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1998159
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter for death of Halyna Hutchins on set of Rust film

Probably find he will be found not guilty on criminal charges (he’s famous and that) and lose a civil case.

It’s fairly reasonable that sometimes people are found not guilty beyond reasonable doubt, but guilty on the balance of probabilities.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 14:08:10
From: Woodie
ID: 1998160
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


Cymek said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter for death of Halyna Hutchins on set of Rust film

Probably find he will be found not guilty on criminal charges (he’s famous and that) and lose a civil case.

your cynicism is showing :)

What I’m yet to see answered in all that bizzo, is “what was live ammo doing on a movie set in the first place?”

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 14:10:47
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1998161
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:

Cymek said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter for death of Halyna Hutchins on set of Rust film

Probably find he will be found not guilty on criminal charges (he’s famous and that) and lose a civil case.

It’s fairly reasonable that sometimes people are found not guilty beyond reasonable doubt, but guilty on the balance of probabilities.

and entirely plausible in this case we gather

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 14:11:49
From: buffy
ID: 1998162
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

It’s getting quite hot here now. Thermometer at the back door is reading 33. It’s getting gustier and it’s from the North. I think I will read and nap for a bit.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 14:16:32
From: Arts
ID: 1998165
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“As part of a settlement that was announced in October, Ms. Hutchins’s husband will become an executive producer on the film.”

so it looks like it will be set to release at some point.. otherwise this isn’t much of a deal

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 14:28:55
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1998178
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Lab said:

Arts said:

I’m sorry the media are being so media like and invasive… if it were up to me I’d totally block them all… I might even suggest that the links to this forum on Facebook be removed…

you deserve a safe place to vent without intrusion.

yes I was thinking maybe the guy who posted the link in the comments for me should maybe delete it now that I have it- because the media came across that post.

wasn’t us but ah fuck

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 14:43:12
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1998188
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Of 4 types of planetary systems, ours is rarest
Posted by
Paul Scott Anderson

February 17, 2023

Before 1992, when astronomers found the first exoplanets, they assumed other solar systems – if they existed – would be similar to ours. Now, we’ve found more than 5,000 exoplanets. These known worlds orbit fewer than 4,000 distant stars (of the hundreds of billions of stars in our Milky Way galaxy). And only about 850 of these stars have at least two confirmed planets. So … about 850 known multi-planet systems so far. Most don’t resemble ours. That’s the conclusion of a new study, announced on February 14, 2023, which categorized exoplanet systems into four basic classes. Our local solar system – our sun and its planets – fall into what these scientists are calling the Ordered class. Our class if the rarest of the four, they said.

Read more:

https://earthsky.org/space/types-of-planetary-systems-exoplanets/

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 14:45:29
From: Lord_Lucan
ID: 1998192
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’d prefer the media not be allowed in here.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 14:46:24
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1998193
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Lord_Lucan said:

SCIENCE said:

The Lab said:

Arts said:

I’m sorry the media are being so media like and invasive… if it were up to me I’d totally block them all… I might even suggest that the links to this forum on Facebook be removed…

you deserve a safe place to vent without intrusion.

yes I was thinking maybe the guy who posted the link in the comments for me should maybe delete it now that I have it- because the media came across that post.

wasn’t us but ah fuck

I’d prefer the media not be allowed in here.

^

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 14:49:11
From: Michael V
ID: 1998194
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Lord_Lucan said:


I’d prefer the media not be allowed in here.

Yes from me, too.

(They gave you a hard time last time around, IIRC.)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 14:53:23
From: Arts
ID: 1998195
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

it would be quite a story since LL has been officially declared dead for quite some time…

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 14:59:18
From: kii
ID: 1998196
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Too many people named Grace on the teevee.
I want my baby cakes princess dog back.
Fuck this.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 15:08:22
From: Arts
ID: 1998197
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Too many people named Grace on the teevee.
I want my baby cakes princess dog back.
Fuck this.

it’s all fucked, kii… grief is a shitty but necessary thing.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 15:26:56
From: Cymek
ID: 1998200
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Lord_Lucan said:


I’d prefer the media not be allowed in here.

Unless its Murdoch owned or the highly reputable Fox news

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 15:29:17
From: kii
ID: 1998202
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


kii said:

Too many people named Grace on the teevee.
I want my baby cakes princess dog back.
Fuck this.

it’s all fucked, kii… grief is a shitty but necessary thing.

Yep, I’m just tired of dealing with grief. Gracie was helping me as my emotional support animal, then she carked it. I’ve worn out another one. Hmph…

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 15:29:19
From: dv
ID: 1998203
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


it would be quite a story since LL has been officially declared dead for quite some time…

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 15:34:03
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998205
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


roughbarked said:

Cymek said:

Probably find he will be found not guilty on criminal charges (he’s famous and that) and lose a civil case.

The family are suing him and the armourer anyway.

that’s the civicl case that Cymek predicts he will lose

yep.
Liked the peanut butter and celery too.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 15:37:44
From: Cymek
ID: 1998206
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Arts said:

roughbarked said:

The family are suing him and the armourer anyway.

that’s the civicl case that Cymek predicts he will lose

yep.
Liked the peanut butter and celery too.

It does seem if you are rich you can often get out of criminal charges or minimise the penalty if you have money to compensate the victim.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 15:40:36
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998210
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

Lord_Lucan said:

SCIENCE said:

wasn’t us but ah fuck

I’d prefer the media not be allowed in here.

^

I am sure that’s part of the specialness of this place.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 15:41:08
From: dv
ID: 1998211
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’ll be honest with you, I didn’t even know such northern Victorian canals as the Cattanach Canal or the Stuart Murray Canal existed until just now.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 15:41:10
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998212
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


it would be quite a story since LL has been officially declared dead for quite some time…

Yes. indeed.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 15:42:26
From: Cymek
ID: 1998214
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


SCIENCE said:

Lord_Lucan said:

I’d prefer the media not be allowed in here.

^

I am sure that’s part of the specialness of this place.

Have a questionnaire before you can join on ethics, morality and acceptable behaviour and the media won’t be able to pass it.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 15:43:10
From: Cymek
ID: 1998216
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I’ll be honest with you, I didn’t even know such northern Victorian canals as the Cattanach Canal or the Stuart Murray Canal existed until just now.

Were you aware of the Fargen Canal

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 15:44:21
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998217
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I’ll be honest with you, I didn’t even know such northern Victorian canals as the Cattanach Canal or the Stuart Murray Canal existed until just now.

Hmmm. How many kilometres of irrigation canals are there in northern Vic?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 15:56:16
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998224
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Lord_Lucan said:

I’d prefer the media not be allowed in here.

Unless its Murdoch owned or the highly reputable Fox news

Well that’s true of course but the trouble is if you let the good guys in as sure as there’s shit in a cat next thing you know the ABC Investigative Unit will be in here sniffing around.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 15:57:30
From: kii
ID: 1998225
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“See, again a reason to like this place. Always someone will be able to answer your question or do something for you. Always.”

Oh?

Lololol 🤣

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 15:59:23
From: buffy
ID: 1998228
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


“See, again a reason to like this place. Always someone will be able to answer your question or do something for you. Always.”

Oh?

Lololol 🤣

Well, yes, information on Elon will now be a bit light on, I’ll admit.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:04:28
From: Arts
ID: 1998230
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I admit that I forget that this forum can be accessed by anyone… I feel sometimes it’s a private space to vent and have no repercussions… but I might have to reframe my brain on that

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:08:46
From: Lord_Lucan
ID: 1998231
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


I admit that I forget that this forum can be accessed by anyone… I feel sometimes it’s a private space to vent and have no repercussions… but I might have to reframe my brain on that

What?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:19:04
From: Michael V
ID: 1998233
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


I admit that I forget that this forum can be accessed by anyone… I feel sometimes it’s a private space to vent and have no repercussions… but I might have to reframe my brain on that

It can be accessed by anyone, but how would one find this tiny backwater on the internet?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:22:29
From: buffy
ID: 1998234
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Arts said:

I admit that I forget that this forum can be accessed by anyone… I feel sometimes it’s a private space to vent and have no repercussions… but I might have to reframe my brain on that

It can be accessed by anyone, but how would one find this tiny backwater on the internet?

Have a look at the vale Shebs thread…the Herald Sun apparently found the SSSF Facebook and there was (now removed apparently) a link there to here, put in for Junior Sprog to find us.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:27:01
From: Cymek
ID: 1998236
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Arts said:

I admit that I forget that this forum can be accessed by anyone… I feel sometimes it’s a private space to vent and have no repercussions… but I might have to reframe my brain on that

It can be accessed by anyone, but how would one find this tiny backwater on the internet?

That’s how I tend to think of it, some minor planetoid in the universe

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:28:17
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1998237
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Michael V said:

Arts said:

I admit that I forget that this forum can be accessed by anyone… I feel sometimes it’s a private space to vent and have no repercussions… but I might have to reframe my brain on that

It can be accessed by anyone, but how would one find this tiny backwater on the internet?

Have a look at the vale Shebs thread…the Herald Sun apparently found the SSSF Facebook and there was (now removed apparently) a link there to here, put in for Junior Sprog to find us.

Yes. That’s how the Hun found us.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:29:39
From: Cymek
ID: 1998238
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Michael V said:

Arts said:

I admit that I forget that this forum can be accessed by anyone… I feel sometimes it’s a private space to vent and have no repercussions… but I might have to reframe my brain on that

It can be accessed by anyone, but how would one find this tiny backwater on the internet?

That’s how I tend to think of it, some minor planetoid in the universe

I mean I’d assume any media that came across this place would think it was a genius thinktank

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:30:09
From: Michael V
ID: 1998239
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Michael V said:

Arts said:

I admit that I forget that this forum can be accessed by anyone… I feel sometimes it’s a private space to vent and have no repercussions… but I might have to reframe my brain on that

It can be accessed by anyone, but how would one find this tiny backwater on the internet?

Have a look at the vale Shebs thread…the Herald Sun apparently found the SSSF Facebook and there was (now removed apparently) a link there to here, put in for Junior Sprog to find us.

You’d have to be quick enough to realise, otherwise it would be up to a search. I have tried a number or search terms, based on what a journo might be able to glean from elsewhere, and haven’t come been able to find us.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:30:19
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998240
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


I admit that I forget that this forum can be accessed by anyone… I feel sometimes it’s a private space to vent and have no repercussions… but I might have to reframe my brain on that

It is a famous forum. It’s the selfie forum.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:32:48
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998241
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

Michael V said:

It can be accessed by anyone, but how would one find this tiny backwater on the internet?

Have a look at the vale Shebs thread…the Herald Sun apparently found the SSSF Facebook and there was (now removed apparently) a link there to here, put in for Junior Sprog to find us.

You’d have to be quick enough to realise, otherwise it would be up to a search. I have tried a number or search terms, based on what a journo might be able to glean from elsewhere, and haven’t come been able to find us.

We can google it because we know terms we can use such as ‘sibeen’.
However, I’ve occasionally come across this forum when searching for certain things.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:33:05
From: Michael V
ID: 1998242
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Arts said:

I admit that I forget that this forum can be accessed by anyone… I feel sometimes it’s a private space to vent and have no repercussions… but I might have to reframe my brain on that

It is a famous forum. It’s the selfie forum.

Um, no it’s not. That was SSSF.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:33:33
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998243
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Some people reading the forum and have something really really profane to say but can’t get in.
Bugger.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:33:59
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1998244
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Michael V said:

Arts said:

I admit that I forget that this forum can be accessed by anyone… I feel sometimes it’s a private space to vent and have no repercussions… but I might have to reframe my brain on that

It can be accessed by anyone, but how would one find this tiny backwater on the internet?

That’s how I tend to think of it, some minor planetoid in the universe

Something like this, but with a variable and transient population?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:34:29
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998246
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Some people reading the forum and have something really really profane to say but can’t get in.
Bugger.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:35:14
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998247
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Cymek said:

Michael V said:

It can be accessed by anyone, but how would one find this tiny backwater on the internet?

That’s how I tend to think of it, some minor planetoid in the universe

Something like this, but with a variable and transient population?


We even have a desert island music thread.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:35:40
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1998248
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:

However, I’ve occasionally come across this forum when searching for certain things.


But you recognise it for what it is.
Whereas, hopefully, Joe (or Josephine) Public will ignore it and move on.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:41:35
From: Cymek
ID: 1998253
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Some people reading the forum and have something really really profane to say but can’t get in.
Bugger.


As of January 2023, there are 202,900,724 active websites, so we’d barely register

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:42:26
From: btm
ID: 1998254
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

Michael V said:

It can be accessed by anyone, but how would one find this tiny backwater on the internet?

Have a look at the vale Shebs thread…the Herald Sun apparently found the SSSF Facebook and there was (now removed apparently) a link there to here, put in for Junior Sprog to find us.

You’d have to be quick enough to realise, otherwise it would be up to a search. I have tried a number or search terms, based on what a journo might be able to glean from elsewhere, and haven’t come been able to find us.

This place isn’t indexed by google or duckduckgo, and hasn’t been for a few years, so unless you somehow find the link somewhere, we’re invisible.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:43:48
From: Arts
ID: 1998256
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Arts said:

I admit that I forget that this forum can be accessed by anyone… I feel sometimes it’s a private space to vent and have no repercussions… but I might have to reframe my brain on that

It can be accessed by anyone, but how would one find this tiny backwater on the internet?

they found it… so ….

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:44:15
From: Cymek
ID: 1998257
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


Michael V said:

buffy said:

Have a look at the vale Shebs thread…the Herald Sun apparently found the SSSF Facebook and there was (now removed apparently) a link there to here, put in for Junior Sprog to find us.

You’d have to be quick enough to realise, otherwise it would be up to a search. I have tried a number or search terms, based on what a journo might be able to glean from elsewhere, and haven’t come been able to find us.

This place isn’t indexed by google or duckduckgo, and hasn’t been for a few years, so unless you somehow find the link somewhere, we’re invisible.

Searching holiday forum does find us but that could also be because we use the website and its remembered

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:45:04
From: Arts
ID: 1998258
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Arts said:

I admit that I forget that this forum can be accessed by anyone… I feel sometimes it’s a private space to vent and have no repercussions… but I might have to reframe my brain on that

It is a famous forum. It’s the selfie forum.

nah. sssf. was that one…

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:46:03
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998260
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


btm said:

Michael V said:

You’d have to be quick enough to realise, otherwise it would be up to a search. I have tried a number or search terms, based on what a journo might be able to glean from elsewhere, and haven’t come been able to find us.

This place isn’t indexed by google or duckduckgo, and hasn’t been for a few years, so unless you somehow find the link somewhere, we’re invisible.

Searching holiday forum does find us but that could also be because we use the website and its remembered

of course.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:47:23
From: Arts
ID: 1998261
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


Michael V said:

buffy said:

Have a look at the vale Shebs thread…the Herald Sun apparently found the SSSF Facebook and there was (now removed apparently) a link there to here, put in for Junior Sprog to find us.

You’d have to be quick enough to realise, otherwise it would be up to a search. I have tried a number or search terms, based on what a journo might be able to glean from elsewhere, and haven’t come been able to find us.

This place isn’t indexed by google or duckduckgo, and hasn’t been for a few years, so unless you somehow find the link somewhere, we’re invisible.

that’s exactly what a journalist trying to dig up dirt would say… nice try, but I’m on to you

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:47:28
From: fsm
ID: 1998262
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Arts said:

I admit that I forget that this forum can be accessed by anyone… I feel sometimes it’s a private space to vent and have no repercussions… but I might have to reframe my brain on that

It is a famous forum. It’s the selfie forum.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:48:01
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998263
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Jazus, it was only a matter of time.
orders more razor wire for the redoubt.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:49:27
From: Cymek
ID: 1998265
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-24/victoria-duck-hunting-season-to-go-ahead-despite-calls-for-ban/102020382

Victorian duck rabbit hunting season to go ahead despite growing opposition

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:50:32
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998267
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-24/victoria-duck-hunting-season-to-go-ahead-despite-calls-for-ban/102020382

Victorian duck rabbit hunting season to go ahead despite growing opposition

LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:51:03
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998268
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-24/victoria-duck-hunting-season-to-go-ahead-despite-calls-for-ban/102020382

Victorian duck rabbit hunting season to go ahead despite growing opposition

We stopped them Mexicans from coming to shoot our ducks.
So they cut fences and go shoot stuff on farms and in Natiional Parks.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 16:55:54
From: btm
ID: 1998272
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


btm said:

Michael V said:

You’d have to be quick enough to realise, otherwise it would be up to a search. I have tried a number or search terms, based on what a journo might be able to glean from elsewhere, and haven’t come been able to find us.

This place isn’t indexed by google or duckduckgo, and hasn’t been for a few years, so unless you somehow find the link somewhere, we’re invisible.

that’s exactly what a journalist trying to dig up dirt would say… nice try, but I’m on to you

Well, yeah, but you can tell I’m not a journalist: I can spell.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 17:11:01
From: Kothos
ID: 1998285
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Found mouse poo on the kitchen counters today so I have to be organising traps. You’d think they’d wait for the cooler weather before staging the seasonal home invasions.

I can’t believe you get a home invasion every year. I would die.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 17:14:13
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998287
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kothos said:


Bubblecar said:

Found mouse poo on the kitchen counters today so I have to be organising traps. You’d think they’d wait for the cooler weather before staging the seasonal home invasions.

I can’t believe you get a home invasion every year. I would die.

It’s only a few mice each autumn but not for long. I ensure there’s nothing accessible for them to eat except what’s in the mousetraps.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 17:38:02
From: Kothos
ID: 1998300
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Kothos said:

Bubblecar said:

Found mouse poo on the kitchen counters today so I have to be organising traps. You’d think they’d wait for the cooler weather before staging the seasonal home invasions.

I can’t believe you get a home invasion every year. I would die.

It’s only a few mice each autumn but not for long. I ensure there’s nothing accessible for them to eat except what’s in the mousetraps.

You’d have to be strict. With my kids in the house that’s practically impossible. I can’t even begin to keep up with the amount of food the drop on the floor.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 17:38:25
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998302
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kothos said:


Bubblecar said:

Found mouse poo on the kitchen counters today so I have to be organising traps. You’d think they’d wait for the cooler weather before staging the seasonal home invasions.

I can’t believe you get a home invasion every year. I would die.

It does depend on how well the house is secure. Mice are always there. Looking for a way in.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 17:39:19
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1998303
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

What the Higgs boson tells us about the universe
02/21/23

By R.M. Davis

The Higgs boson is the only fundamental particle known to be scalar, meaning it has no quantum spin. This fact answers questions about our universe, but it also raises new ones.

https://www.symmetrymagazine.org/article/what-the-higgs-boson-tells-us-about-the-universe

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 17:39:36
From: Kothos
ID: 1998304
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Kothos said:

Bubblecar said:

Found mouse poo on the kitchen counters today so I have to be organising traps. You’d think they’d wait for the cooler weather before staging the seasonal home invasions.

I can’t believe you get a home invasion every year. I would die.

It does depend on how well the house is secure. Mice are always there. Looking for a way in.

We got 4 during last years plague (or the year before, can’t remember). It didn’t get that far south but we still got those. I’m not used to them so it took me ages to get rid of them.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 17:43:05
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998311
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kothos said:


roughbarked said:

Kothos said:

I can’t believe you get a home invasion every year. I would die.

It does depend on how well the house is secure. Mice are always there. Looking for a way in.

We got 4 during last years plague (or the year before, can’t remember). It didn’t get that far south but we still got those. I’m not used to them so it took me ages to get rid of them.

Often a simple neoprene strip under the door edge. Fitted properly, they can’t get past them.
Brick veneer house? bang wooden wedges into the weep holes. It also stops bees getting into your walls.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 17:43:19
From: dv
ID: 1998312
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


dv said:

I’ll be honest with you, I didn’t even know such northern Victorian canals as the Cattanach Canal or the Stuart Murray Canal existed until just now.

Hmmm. How many kilometres of irrigation canals are there in northern Vic?

I really wish I knew

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 17:43:58
From: buffy
ID: 1998314
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Food report: I’m going to wok some chicken strips (cut from thigh cutlets). I’ll probably put some garlic salt on my serve. Mr buffy might have sweet chili sauce on his. There will also be a lettuce and other stuff salad. And I’ll open some chips and we’ll have a few of those as well. Still very hot here.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 17:45:23
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998317
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


roughbarked said:

dv said:

I’ll be honest with you, I didn’t even know such northern Victorian canals as the Cattanach Canal or the Stuart Murray Canal existed until just now.

Hmmm. How many kilometres of irrigation canals are there in northern Vic?

I really wish I knew

I actually used to know it in miles for the MIA. However, that’s all changed now.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 17:47:46
From: Kothos
ID: 1998320
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Kothos said:

roughbarked said:

It does depend on how well the house is secure. Mice are always there. Looking for a way in.

We got 4 during last years plague (or the year before, can’t remember). It didn’t get that far south but we still got those. I’m not used to them so it took me ages to get rid of them.

Often a simple neoprene strip under the door edge. Fitted properly, they can’t get past them.
Brick veneer house? bang wooden wedges into the weep holes. It also stops bees getting into your walls.

One got in through the garage when I was mowing the lawn. I need to be more careful.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 18:00:59
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1998335
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


roughbarked said:

dv said:

I’ll be honest with you, I didn’t even know such northern Victorian canals as the Cattanach Canal or the Stuart Murray Canal existed until just now.

Hmmm. How many kilometres of irrigation canals are there in northern Vic?

I really wish I knew

Quite a lot, it seems.
https://www.water.vic.gov.au/water-grid-and-markets/victorias-water-grids

Scroll down to ‘How does the grid work? and then poke around the image below the heading.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 18:34:43
From: buffy
ID: 1998349
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-24/australian-animals-no-longer-meet-criteria-as-threatened-species/102020276

At lest two of those belong here..growling grass frog and Eastern barred bandicoot.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 18:39:47
From: Cymek
ID: 1998352
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m off have a physio appointment

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 18:41:45
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1998353
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-24/australian-animals-no-longer-meet-criteria-as-threatened-species/102020276

At lest two of those belong here..growling grass frog and Eastern barred bandicoot.

That’s good, just hope they safeguard their habitats so they continue to prosper.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 18:42:17
From: Michael V
ID: 1998354
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-24/australian-animals-no-longer-meet-criteria-as-threatened-species/102020276

At lest two of those belong here..growling grass frog and Eastern barred bandicoot.

None are here, it seems.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 18:45:15
From: buffy
ID: 1998355
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


buffy said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-24/australian-animals-no-longer-meet-criteria-as-threatened-species/102020276

At lest two of those belong here..growling grass frog and Eastern barred bandicoot.

That’s good, just hope they safeguard their habitats so they continue to prosper.

I’ve never heard a growling grass frog. I want to hear a growling grass frog! My Ewings tree frog turned up in a lettuce again today. I choose to think it’s the same one I found last week. Today I pulled out a lettuce, laid it on the ground to pull the heart out to take inside and the little frog peeped out. We looked at each other and went “You!! Again!!” So I put it back into a sheltered bit of garden. (I have no idea if it’s really the same one I photographed last week, but I don’t mind making up a story)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 18:45:20
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1998356
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


I’m off have a physio appointment

Catch you later.

Maybe we need a generic “I’ll be right back” thread.
There’s one available in the Gardening Forum.
Oooh! It’s been there since 2008!

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 18:48:15
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1998357
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


PermeateFree said:

buffy said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-24/australian-animals-no-longer-meet-criteria-as-threatened-species/102020276

At lest two of those belong here..growling grass frog and Eastern barred bandicoot.

That’s good, just hope they safeguard their habitats so they continue to prosper.

I’ve never heard a growling grass frog. I want to hear a growling grass frog! My Ewings tree frog turned up in a lettuce again today. I choose to think it’s the same one I found last week. Today I pulled out a lettuce, laid it on the ground to pull the heart out to take inside and the little frog peeped out. We looked at each other and went “You!! Again!!” So I put it back into a sheltered bit of garden. (I have no idea if it’s really the same one I photographed last week, but I don’t mind making up a story)

Do you think your frog plays the tuba?
I grew up with that story.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 18:51:49
From: Michael V
ID: 1998359
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


PermeateFree said:

buffy said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-24/australian-animals-no-longer-meet-criteria-as-threatened-species/102020276

At lest two of those belong here..growling grass frog and Eastern barred bandicoot.

That’s good, just hope they safeguard their habitats so they continue to prosper.

I’ve never heard a growling grass frog. I want to hear a growling grass frog! My Ewings tree frog turned up in a lettuce again today. I choose to think it’s the same one I found last week. Today I pulled out a lettuce, laid it on the ground to pull the heart out to take inside and the little frog peeped out. We looked at each other and went “You!! Again!!” So I put it back into a sheltered bit of garden. (I have no idea if it’s really the same one I photographed last week, but I don’t mind making up a story)

https://www.ari.vic.gov.au/research/people-and-nature/gone-growling-listening-out-for-the-local-vocal-celebrity

It sounds like other frogs I have heard calling in various places well out of its range.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 18:52:40
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1998360
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


PermeateFree said:

buffy said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-24/australian-animals-no-longer-meet-criteria-as-threatened-species/102020276

At lest two of those belong here..growling grass frog and Eastern barred bandicoot.

That’s good, just hope they safeguard their habitats so they continue to prosper.

I’ve never heard a growling grass frog. I want to hear a growling grass frog! My Ewings tree frog turned up in a lettuce again today. I choose to think it’s the same one I found last week. Today I pulled out a lettuce, laid it on the ground to pull the heart out to take inside and the little frog peeped out. We looked at each other and went “You!! Again!!” So I put it back into a sheltered bit of garden. (I have no idea if it’s really the same one I photographed last week, but I don’t mind making up a story)

It is a good chance it is the same frog, as the species around me have special places where they live. There are a couple of tree-frogs that live 50 metres or so away, but in warm weather will hop along the drive to reach water, then return home once satisfied. Small frogs might only live within a 10 metre square location. It all depends on what they call home.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 18:56:10
From: buffy
ID: 1998362
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


buffy said:

PermeateFree said:

That’s good, just hope they safeguard their habitats so they continue to prosper.

I’ve never heard a growling grass frog. I want to hear a growling grass frog! My Ewings tree frog turned up in a lettuce again today. I choose to think it’s the same one I found last week. Today I pulled out a lettuce, laid it on the ground to pull the heart out to take inside and the little frog peeped out. We looked at each other and went “You!! Again!!” So I put it back into a sheltered bit of garden. (I have no idea if it’s really the same one I photographed last week, but I don’t mind making up a story)

It is a good chance it is the same frog, as the species around me have special places where they live. There are a couple of tree-frogs that live 50 metres or so away, but in warm weather will hop along the drive to reach water, then return home once satisfied. Small frogs might only live within a 10 metre square location. It all depends on what they call home.

It’s out of luck now…I’ve now taken all of those lettuces. It is a bed that is watered every night unless it rains, so perhaps it can set up house in the tomatoes now. If I find it wandering around again I’ll take it up to the passionfruit vine in the cool corner near the ferns. That should be a nice place to live.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 18:59:28
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998363
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


Cymek said:

I’m off have a physio appointment

Catch you later.

Maybe we need a generic “I’ll be right back” thread.
There’s one available in the Gardening Forum.
Oooh! It’s been there since 2008!

Nobody goes there but.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 19:04:46
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1998365
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


AussieDJ said:

Cymek said:

I’m off have a physio appointment

Catch you later.

Maybe we need a generic “I’ll be right back” thread.
There’s one available in the Gardening Forum.
Oooh! It’s been there since 2008!

Nobody goes there but.

Except for the two of us, doing test posts, methinks.

:)

(I was thinking maybe it could be added to the row of options above ^ ^ ^ ^ . Then again, maybe not)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 19:07:01
From: buffy
ID: 1998366
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


roughbarked said:

AussieDJ said:

Catch you later.

Maybe we need a generic “I’ll be right back” thread.
There’s one available in the Gardening Forum.
Oooh! It’s been there since 2008!

Nobody goes there but.

Except for the two of us, doing test posts, methinks.

:)

(I was thinking maybe it could be added to the row of options above ^ ^ ^ ^ . Then again, maybe not)

Every now and then I have a look. But I don’t post.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 19:08:31
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1998367
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


PermeateFree said:

buffy said:

I’ve never heard a growling grass frog. I want to hear a growling grass frog! My Ewings tree frog turned up in a lettuce again today. I choose to think it’s the same one I found last week. Today I pulled out a lettuce, laid it on the ground to pull the heart out to take inside and the little frog peeped out. We looked at each other and went “You!! Again!!” So I put it back into a sheltered bit of garden. (I have no idea if it’s really the same one I photographed last week, but I don’t mind making up a story)

It is a good chance it is the same frog, as the species around me have special places where they live. There are a couple of tree-frogs that live 50 metres or so away, but in warm weather will hop along the drive to reach water, then return home once satisfied. Small frogs might only live within a 10 metre square location. It all depends on what they call home.

It’s out of luck now…I’ve now taken all of those lettuces. It is a bed that is watered every night unless it rains, so perhaps it can set up house in the tomatoes now. If I find it wandering around again I’ll take it up to the passionfruit vine in the cool corner near the ferns. That should be a nice place to live.

Despite being Amphibians and needing water to reproduce, they are surprisingly tough little blighters.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 19:15:04
From: dv
ID: 1998370
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Decks of cards get grubby pretty quickly in my experience andnif you’re a household that plays 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 handed 500 then you’ll find that there are 5 shades of grey.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 19:51:43
From: transition
ID: 1998374
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


I admit that I forget that this forum can be accessed by anyone… I feel sometimes it’s a private space to vent and have no repercussions… but I might have to reframe my brain on that

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 19:54:42
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1998376
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Arts said:

I admit that I forget that this forum can be accessed by anyone… I feel sometimes it’s a private space to vent and have no repercussions… but I might have to reframe my brain on that


yeah.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 19:56:28
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1998377
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

pink took some good pics of the aurora.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 19:58:12
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998378
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


pink took some good pics of the aurora.


Good pics indeed.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 20:00:11
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1998379
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


sarahs mum said:

pink took some good pics of the aurora.


Good pics indeed.

Very good, indeed.
When was this?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 20:02:22
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1998380
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


Peak Warming Man said:

sarahs mum said:

pink took some good pics of the aurora.


Good pics indeed.

Very good, indeed.
When was this?

two nights ago. my view to the south is interrupted by a ridge. But there was still a good bit of glow and a few shafts. I reckon I could have had some okay photos with a tripod and leaving the lens open awhile.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 20:04:37
From: Arts
ID: 1998381
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


transition said:

Arts said:

I admit that I forget that this forum can be accessed by anyone… I feel sometimes it’s a private space to vent and have no repercussions… but I might have to reframe my brain on that


yeah.

wait.. what?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 20:05:57
From: Arts
ID: 1998382
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I really have to organise a trip to see this thing of beauty

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 20:07:57
From: OCDC
ID: 1998383
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


I really have to organise a trip to see this thing of beauty

I’m not in Melbourne at the mo but I’m still near an airport. When’s good for you?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 20:10:54
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998384
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


pink took some good pics of the aurora.


Superb snaps. I didn’t know there was one happening.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 20:13:00
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998385
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Decks of cards get grubby pretty quickly in my experience andnif you’re a household that plays 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 handed 500 then you’ll find that there are 5 shades of grey.

Next time don’t allow them to play unless they wash their hands first.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 20:17:34
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998386
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


dv said:

Decks of cards get grubby pretty quickly in my experience andnif you’re a household that plays 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 handed 500 then you’ll find that there are 5 shades of grey.

Next time don’t allow them to play unless they wash their hands first.

…and no finger foods while a game is in session.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 20:19:23
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998387
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Speaking of filth and germs, I’d better go and have a shower after this hot sticky day.

It’ll also give me a chance to see if the drain cleaner has worked.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 20:21:36
From: poikilotherm
ID: 1998388
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Evening.

How’d Mr buffy fare this week?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 20:23:42
From: Arts
ID: 1998389
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


Arts said:

I really have to organise a trip to see this thing of beauty

I’m not in Melbourne at the mo but I’m still near an airport. When’s good for you?

ha.. I meant the Aurora… but I’ll drop by and compare

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 20:24:03
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1998390
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Wagner Framemakers is in Hobart/nipaluna.
45 m ·
Haughton Forrest large original painting, from a private collection. We assembled to the original and restored frame with protective museum glass glazing. An amazing artwork to view in person

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 20:25:43
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1998391
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Arts said:


OCDC said:

Arts said:

I really have to organise a trip to see this thing of beauty

I’m not in Melbourne at the mo but I’m still near an airport. When’s good for you?

ha.. I meant the Aurora… but I’ll drop by and compare

it’s such a random thing to try and plan around. Although it has been going off lots of late.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 20:36:52
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1998393
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:

Arts said:

OCDC said:

I’m not in Melbourne at the mo but I’m still near an airport. When’s good for you?

ha.. I meant the Aurora… but I’ll drop by and compare

it’s such a random thing to try and plan around. Although it has been going off lots of late.

well

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/solar-cycle-progression

seems like now’s as good a time as any

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 20:40:10
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998394
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Wagner Framemakers is in Hobart/nipaluna.
45 m ·
Haughton Forrest large original painting, from a private collection. We assembled to the original and restored frame with protective museum glass glazing. An amazing artwork to view in person

Well done. Wonder if he painted that while living in Anna’s place.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 20:54:07
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1998395
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

Wagner Framemakers is in Hobart/nipaluna.
45 m ·
Haughton Forrest large original painting, from a private collection. We assembled to the original and restored frame with protective museum glass glazing. An amazing artwork to view in person

Well done. Wonder if he painted that while living in Anna’s place.

I think he is terribly underrated.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 20:57:14
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1998396
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

For those complaining about the weather, the death of a fit 41-year-old woman near Esperance in the Cape Le Grand National Park when hiking in 44 degrees C, shows how dangerous it can be.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-23/hiker-found-dead-cape-le-grand-esperance-search/102011006

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 20:58:24
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1998397
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

sarahs mum said:

Arts said:

ha.. I meant the Aurora… but I’ll drop by and compare

it’s such a random thing to try and plan around. Although it has been going off lots of late.

well

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/solar-cycle-progression

seems like now’s as good a time as any


So we should be in for more?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:05:00
From: btm
ID: 1998398
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Arts said:

OCDC said:

I’m not in Melbourne at the mo but I’m still near an airport. When’s good for you?

ha.. I meant the Aurora… but I’ll drop by and compare

it’s such a random thing to try and plan around. Although it has been going off lots of late.

It’s tied to the sunspot cycle; sunspots are regions of high magnetic anomaly on the solar surface that eject solar matter (electrons and protons). These particles spiral down into the Earth’s poles (because the charged particles are in motion, they have an associated magnetic field; the Earth’s magnetic field guides the particles into the poles.) The spiralling particles interact with the Earth’s ionosphere (synchrotrons work in a similar way,) causing the auroral displays. The next sunspot peak (and so expected highest probability of seeing an aurora) is expected to be around 2025-2026.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:17:24
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1998399
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


SCIENCE said:

sarahs mum said:

it’s such a random thing to try and plan around. Although it has been going off lots of late.

well

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/solar-cycle-progression

seems like now’s as good a time as any


So we should be in for more?

It seems like it, going from the prediction shown on the graph.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:18:50
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998400
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Speaking of filth and germs, I’d better go and have a shower after this hot sticky day.

It’ll also give me a chance to see if the drain cleaner has worked.

Drain cleaner has indeed done its job. Drains should be OK for the next few months.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:20:38
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1998402
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


sarahs mum said:

SCIENCE said:

well

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/solar-cycle-progression

seems like now’s as good a time as any


So we should be in for more?

It seems like it, going from the prediction shown on the graph.

i’m also noticing it more because Facebook keeps telling me it is on. Even when it can only be seen by leaving a camera open.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:20:49
From: Arts
ID: 1998403
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Arts said:

OCDC said:

I’m not in Melbourne at the mo but I’m still near an airport. When’s good for you?

ha.. I meant the Aurora… but I’ll drop by and compare

it’s such a random thing to try and plan around. Although it has been going off lots of late.

There’s not a calendar of events?!.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:22:36
From: Arts
ID: 1998404
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

sarahs mum said:

Arts said:

ha.. I meant the Aurora… but I’ll drop by and compare

it’s such a random thing to try and plan around. Although it has been going off lots of late.

well

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/solar-cycle-progression

seems like now’s as good a time as any


Can you help out for next year?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:22:54
From: Arts
ID: 1998405
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

btm said:


sarahs mum said:

Arts said:

ha.. I meant the Aurora… but I’ll drop by and compare

it’s such a random thing to try and plan around. Although it has been going off lots of late.

It’s tied to the sunspot cycle; sunspots are regions of high magnetic anomaly on the solar surface that eject solar matter (electrons and protons). These particles spiral down into the Earth’s poles (because the charged particles are in motion, they have an associated magnetic field; the Earth’s magnetic field guides the particles into the poles.) The spiralling particles interact with the Earth’s ionosphere (synchrotrons work in a similar way,) causing the auroral displays. The next sunspot peak (and so expected highest probability of seeing an aurora) is expected to be around 2025-2026.

Oh. Never mind. I’ll put my leave in.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:23:11
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1998406
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Speaking of filth and germs, I’d better go and have a shower after this hot sticky day.

It’ll also give me a chance to see if the drain cleaner has worked.

Drain cleaner has indeed done its job. Drains should be OK for the next few months.

Losing your hair?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:25:03
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1998407
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Wagner Framemakers is in Hobart/nipaluna.
45 m ·
Haughton Forrest large original painting, from a private collection. We assembled to the original and restored frame with protective museum glass glazing. An amazing artwork to view in person

Haughton Forrest was a prolific marine painter, and few of his works didn’t feature the sea or some other body of water, with ships represented in a majority of them. I’d say that he’s the greatest marine artist of Australia. IIRC, he lived to be 99 years old.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:29:00
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1998408
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


sarahs mum said:

Wagner Framemakers is in Hobart/nipaluna.
45 m ·
Haughton Forrest large original painting, from a private collection. We assembled to the original and restored frame with protective museum glass glazing. An amazing artwork to view in person

Haughton Forrest was a prolific marine painter, and few of his works didn’t feature the sea or some other body of water, with ships represented in a majority of them. I’d say that he’s the greatest marine artist of Australia. IIRC, he lived to be 99 years old.

He probably dreamed of being a sailor.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:29:31
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1998409
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


sarahs mum said:

Wagner Framemakers is in Hobart/nipaluna.
45 m ·
Haughton Forrest large original painting, from a private collection. We assembled to the original and restored frame with protective museum glass glazing. An amazing artwork to view in person

Haughton Forrest was a prolific marine painter, and few of his works didn’t feature the sea or some other body of water, with ships represented in a majority of them. I’d say that he’s the greatest marine artist of Australia. IIRC, he lived to be 99 years old.

I have a print of his Snug falls work.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:32:10
From: buffy
ID: 1998410
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

poikilotherm said:


Evening.

How’d Mr buffy fare this week?

Absolutely nothing to report. No nausea. No vomiting. Nothing out of the ordinary. We’ve eaten normally. Although on Wednesday (the day after first dose) I did suggest he only have a thickshake, not a thickshake and a cake when we went to the bakery, until we made sure things were OK. But we don’t eat large meals either. We tend to spread our food out over the day in bits and pieces.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:32:33
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998411
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


sarahs mum said:

Wagner Framemakers is in Hobart/nipaluna.
45 m ·
Haughton Forrest large original painting, from a private collection. We assembled to the original and restored frame with protective museum glass glazing. An amazing artwork to view in person

Haughton Forrest was a prolific marine painter, and few of his works didn’t feature the sea or some other body of water, with ships represented in a majority of them. I’d say that he’s the greatest marine artist of Australia. IIRC, he lived to be 99 years old.

He lived for some years in my older sister’s house.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:33:30
From: buffy
ID: 1998412
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


For those complaining about the weather, the death of a fit 41-year-old woman near Esperance in the Cape Le Grand National Park when hiking in 44 degrees C, shows how dangerous it can be.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-23/hiker-found-dead-cape-le-grand-esperance-search/102011006

I saw that yesterday.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:35:06
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998413
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Speaking of filth and germs, I’d better go and have a shower after this hot sticky day.

It’ll also give me a chance to see if the drain cleaner has worked.

Drain cleaner has indeed done its job. Drains should be OK for the next few months.

Losing your hair?

Like many domestic animals I continually shed hair but it grows back.

But yes it doubtless helps clog up the bathroom drain pipes.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:35:47
From: Kingy
ID: 1998414
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Arts said:

OCDC said:

I’m not in Melbourne at the mo but I’m still near an airport. When’s good for you?

ha.. I meant the Aurora… but I’ll drop by and compare

it’s such a random thing to try and plan around. Although it has been going off lots of late.

https://spaceweather.com/

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:38:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998415
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


captain_spalding said:

sarahs mum said:

Wagner Framemakers is in Hobart/nipaluna.
45 m ·
Haughton Forrest large original painting, from a private collection. We assembled to the original and restored frame with protective museum glass glazing. An amazing artwork to view in person

Haughton Forrest was a prolific marine painter, and few of his works didn’t feature the sea or some other body of water, with ships represented in a majority of them. I’d say that he’s the greatest marine artist of Australia. IIRC, he lived to be 99 years old.

He lived for some years in my older sister’s house.

…although it wasn’t her house then, obviously. In fact it was his house.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:51:18
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1998417
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


PermeateFree said:

For those complaining about the weather, the death of a fit 41-year-old woman near Esperance in the Cape Le Grand National Park when hiking in 44 degrees C, shows how dangerous it can be.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-23/hiker-found-dead-cape-le-grand-esperance-search/102011006

I saw that yesterday.

She was Irish and lived in Perth, so probably not used to those temperatures.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 21:51:37
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1998418
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A member of the Achilles Ladies Fire Brigade, London, 1926.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 22:02:22
From: Kingy
ID: 1998421
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


A member of the Achilles Ladies Fire Brigade, London, 1926.

We have several ladies in our brigade, and most of them on average are better firefighters than the guys.

Our newest vollie is an aboriginal lady, I’m helping her so that she can get through the training ok. If she does, she’s likely to be the poster child, the media will love it.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 22:07:33
From: party_pants
ID: 1998423
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


buffy said:

PermeateFree said:

For those complaining about the weather, the death of a fit 41-year-old woman near Esperance in the Cape Le Grand National Park when hiking in 44 degrees C, shows how dangerous it can be.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-23/hiker-found-dead-cape-le-grand-esperance-search/102011006

I saw that yesterday.

She was Irish and lived in Perth, so probably not used to those temperatures.

Wonder how long she’d been here for.

We have had a remarkably mild summer. So far not a single day over 40C, although we have had a couple of 39C days. But still, in a normal summer a few days of 40 and over are to be expected.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 22:10:40
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1998424
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


sarahs mum said:

A member of the Achilles Ladies Fire Brigade, London, 1926.

We have several ladies in our brigade, and most of them on average are better firefighters than the guys.

Our newest vollie is an aboriginal lady, I’m helping her so that she can get through the training ok. If she does, she’s likely to be the poster child, the media will love it.

i wish her well. And i hope she gets to feel at home in your team.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 22:13:18
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1998425
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


PermeateFree said:

buffy said:

I saw that yesterday.

She was Irish and lived in Perth, so probably not used to those temperatures.

Wonder how long she’d been here for.

We have had a remarkably mild summer. So far not a single day over 40C, although we have had a couple of 39C days. But still, in a normal summer a few days of 40 and over are to be expected.

I was talking to a friend this morning on this very topic. We agree with you.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 22:16:04
From: party_pants
ID: 1998427
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


party_pants said:

PermeateFree said:

She was Irish and lived in Perth, so probably not used to those temperatures.

Wonder how long she’d been here for.

We have had a remarkably mild summer. So far not a single day over 40C, although we have had a couple of 39C days. But still, in a normal summer a few days of 40 and over are to be expected.

I was talking to a friend this morning on this very topic. We agree with you.

My boss and I had this discussion with the coffee truck lady this morning.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 22:24:12
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1998433
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


ChrispenEvan said:

party_pants said:

Wonder how long she’d been here for.

We have had a remarkably mild summer. So far not a single day over 40C, although we have had a couple of 39C days. But still, in a normal summer a few days of 40 and over are to be expected.

I was talking to a friend this morning on this very topic. We agree with you.

My boss and I had this discussion with the coffee truck lady this morning.

She was relieving (John’s Ambulance) in Norseman where it commonly gets over 40 degrees, but you are not likely to go for a hike when it is. Temperatures except for that 44C day in Esperance have been mild and mostly in the low 20 degrees, so she probably came to Esperance for a cool break.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 22:26:19
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998436
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I hadn’t heard of Simon Seabag Montefiore until tonight.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 22:35:06
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1998437
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


I hadn’t heard of Simon Seabag Montefiore until tonight.

Same here.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 22:40:46
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998438
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Peak Warming Man said:

I hadn’t heard of Simon Seabag Montefiore until tonight.

Same here.

Well there you go, Roughbarked will probably know him but still 2 out of 3 people on a popular forum have never heard of him.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 22:41:59
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1998439
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Peak Warming Man said:

I hadn’t heard of Simon Seabag Montefiore until tonight.

Same here.

but I have now.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 22:56:52
From: party_pants
ID: 1998443
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Peak Warming Man said:

I hadn’t heard of Simon Seabag Montefiore until tonight.

Same here.

but I have now.

Should I have?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 22:58:07
From: Woodie
ID: 1998444
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


I hadn’t heard of Simon Seabag Montefiore until tonight.

….. and probably never hear of him again.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 23:02:09
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1998446
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


sarahs mum said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Same here.

but I have now.

Should I have?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Sebag_Montefiore

Simon Jonathan Sebag Montefiore is a British historian, television presenter and author of popular history books and novels, including Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar, Monsters: History’s Most Evil Men and Women, Jerusalem: The Biography, The Romanovs 1613–1918, among others

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 23:19:45
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1998449
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.crikey.com.au/2023/02/24/your-say-roald-dahl-voice-to-parliament/?fbclid=IwAR0lPG5bPsg0VIZhTc-FTsGop41EDvsgN3uw6Jiyr9j6-8DZjjC7tfvvjRg

Link

No happily-ever-after for children of all ages — not to mention Roald Dahl
Dahl may well have been ‘an unpleasant man with unpleasant ideas’, but his works should reflect that, not pretend otherwise, readers say.

CRIKEYFEB 24, 2023

Terence Mills writes: James Ley’s article “Sanitising Roald Dahl’s words treats readers like fools” made me think of Winston Smith who in Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four was employed to sanitise history as instructed by the government.

We should never interfere with an author’s work. As with The Merchant of Venice, an explanatory note at the beginning can explain how different things were viewed at different times. Or go right ahead and publish two versions — the original and an abridged one — but don’t interfere with the original.

Jenny Darling writes: At last someone has pointed out the commercial imperatives behind this move, the real story that mainstream media has for the most part ignored.

It is very unusual for a dead author’s work to be rewritten. But 70 years of copyright ownership after the author’s death is probably highly motivating for those in charge of said copyrights. In the future, we may see more of this sort of maximising of commercial options.

Whatever happened to imagination? Soon we shall all be drowning in this profit-driven, shallow culture.

Kent Wood writes: James Ley has an interesting take on the social/moral editorial adjustments being made to Roald Dahl’s work. The Brothers Grimm fairy tales were written during a time when public executions were common and popular. Sudden and violent death is integral to their work. What was once considered stock-standard children’s literature has faded into obscurity. Let the lesson be learnt.

One of the main benefits of literature is that it can reflect the time the author is/was living in. Most importantly, the written word is meant to provide a thoughtful and considered exposé of any or all of the author’s life experience, personality, psychological state and way of living.

Modifying, editing, changing someone else’s written word is nothing new. Academics use the term “revisionist” to describe historical records that have been adjusted, as it were, to make them easier to understand or accept in today’s world. Universities place a higher value on “primary” research — that which relies on “original” sources alone. Language is also constantly changing, and understanding is valuable only to the point of clarity. The King James version of the Christian Bible has purportedly been completely rewritten at least 14 times — to the point of creating some doubt as to what the original text actually contained.

The changes being made to Dahl’s works are driven by the human ego — and our ever-present perception of superiority over both those who live beside us and those who came before us.

Mark Hills writes: Dahl’s texts should be preserved as written. Living authors are free to update their books for whatever reasons. Dahl would probably have fun ridiculing inclusive changes to his works. As James Ley says, you do not have to like or approve of a work to read and criticise it appreciatively.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 23:21:27
From: dv
ID: 1998451
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’ve never heard of “a Dikshant” in this sense. I’m familiar with Dikshant as a given name.

Seems like the internet has also never heard of a Dikshant.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 23:22:36
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1998453
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2023/02/24/your-say-roald-dahl-voice-to-parliament/?fbclid=IwAR0lPG5bPsg0VIZhTc-FTsGop41EDvsgN3uw6Jiyr9j6-8DZjjC7tfvvjRg

Link

No happily-ever-after for children of all ages — not to mention Roald Dahl
Dahl may well have been ‘an unpleasant man with unpleasant ideas’, but his works should reflect that, not pretend otherwise, readers say.

CRIKEYFEB 24, 2023

Terence Mills writes: James Ley’s article “Sanitising Roald Dahl’s words treats readers like fools” made me think of Winston Smith who in Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four was employed to sanitise history as instructed by the government.

We should never interfere with an author’s work. As with The Merchant of Venice, an explanatory note at the beginning can explain how different things were viewed at different times. Or go right ahead and publish two versions — the original and an abridged one — but don’t interfere with the original.

Jenny Darling writes: At last someone has pointed out the commercial imperatives behind this move, the real story that mainstream media has for the most part ignored.

It is very unusual for a dead author’s work to be rewritten. But 70 years of copyright ownership after the author’s death is probably highly motivating for those in charge of said copyrights. In the future, we may see more of this sort of maximising of commercial options.

Whatever happened to imagination? Soon we shall all be drowning in this profit-driven, shallow culture.

Kent Wood writes: James Ley has an interesting take on the social/moral editorial adjustments being made to Roald Dahl’s work. The Brothers Grimm fairy tales were written during a time when public executions were common and popular. Sudden and violent death is integral to their work. What was once considered stock-standard children’s literature has faded into obscurity. Let the lesson be learnt.

One of the main benefits of literature is that it can reflect the time the author is/was living in. Most importantly, the written word is meant to provide a thoughtful and considered exposé of any or all of the author’s life experience, personality, psychological state and way of living.

Modifying, editing, changing someone else’s written word is nothing new. Academics use the term “revisionist” to describe historical records that have been adjusted, as it were, to make them easier to understand or accept in today’s world. Universities place a higher value on “primary” research — that which relies on “original” sources alone. Language is also constantly changing, and understanding is valuable only to the point of clarity. The King James version of the Christian Bible has purportedly been completely rewritten at least 14 times — to the point of creating some doubt as to what the original text actually contained.

The changes being made to Dahl’s works are driven by the human ego — and our ever-present perception of superiority over both those who live beside us and those who came before us.

Mark Hills writes: Dahl’s texts should be preserved as written. Living authors are free to update their books for whatever reasons. Dahl would probably have fun ridiculing inclusive changes to his works. As James Ley says, you do not have to like or approve of a work to read and criticise it appreciatively.

hmm

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 23:25:49
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1998454
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:

I’ve never heard of “a Dikshant” in this sense. I’m familiar with Dikshant as a given name.

Seems like the internet has also never heard of a Dikshant.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 23:28:55
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998455
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


https://www.crikey.com.au/2023/02/24/your-say-roald-dahl-voice-to-parliament/?fbclid=IwAR0lPG5bPsg0VIZhTc-FTsGop41EDvsgN3uw6Jiyr9j6-8DZjjC7tfvvjRg

Link

No happily-ever-after for children of all ages — not to mention Roald Dahl
Dahl may well have been ‘an unpleasant man with unpleasant ideas’, but his works should reflect that, not pretend otherwise, readers say.

CRIKEYFEB 24, 2023

Terence Mills writes: James Ley’s article “Sanitising Roald Dahl’s words treats readers like fools” made me think of Winston Smith who in Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four was employed to sanitise history as instructed by the government.

We should never interfere with an author’s work. As with The Merchant of Venice, an explanatory note at the beginning can explain how different things were viewed at different times. Or go right ahead and publish two versions — the original and an abridged one — but don’t interfere with the original.

Jenny Darling writes: At last someone has pointed out the commercial imperatives behind this move, the real story that mainstream media has for the most part ignored.

It is very unusual for a dead author’s work to be rewritten. But 70 years of copyright ownership after the author’s death is probably highly motivating for those in charge of said copyrights. In the future, we may see more of this sort of maximising of commercial options.

Whatever happened to imagination? Soon we shall all be drowning in this profit-driven, shallow culture.

Kent Wood writes: James Ley has an interesting take on the social/moral editorial adjustments being made to Roald Dahl’s work. The Brothers Grimm fairy tales were written during a time when public executions were common and popular. Sudden and violent death is integral to their work. What was once considered stock-standard children’s literature has faded into obscurity. Let the lesson be learnt.

One of the main benefits of literature is that it can reflect the time the author is/was living in. Most importantly, the written word is meant to provide a thoughtful and considered exposé of any or all of the author’s life experience, personality, psychological state and way of living.

Modifying, editing, changing someone else’s written word is nothing new. Academics use the term “revisionist” to describe historical records that have been adjusted, as it were, to make them easier to understand or accept in today’s world. Universities place a higher value on “primary” research — that which relies on “original” sources alone. Language is also constantly changing, and understanding is valuable only to the point of clarity. The King James version of the Christian Bible has purportedly been completely rewritten at least 14 times — to the point of creating some doubt as to what the original text actually contained.

The changes being made to Dahl’s works are driven by the human ego — and our ever-present perception of superiority over both those who live beside us and those who came before us.

Mark Hills writes: Dahl’s texts should be preserved as written. Living authors are free to update their books for whatever reasons. Dahl would probably have fun ridiculing inclusive changes to his works. As James Ley says, you do not have to like or approve of a work to read and criticise it appreciatively.

It won’t be long before some woke left wing progressive with a red pen starts working their way through Mein Kampf.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 23:35:27
From: wookiemeister
ID: 1998457
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Peak Warming Man said:

I hadn’t heard of Simon Seabag Montefiore until tonight.

Same here.

Well there you go, Roughbarked will probably know him but still 2 out of 3 people on a popular forum have never heard of him.


Seabag

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 23:39:24
From: wookiemeister
ID: 1998459
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


ChrispenEvan said:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2023/02/24/your-say-roald-dahl-voice-to-parliament/?fbclid=IwAR0lPG5bPsg0VIZhTc-FTsGop41EDvsgN3uw6Jiyr9j6-8DZjjC7tfvvjRg

Link

No happily-ever-after for children of all ages — not to mention Roald Dahl
Dahl may well have been ‘an unpleasant man with unpleasant ideas’, but his works should reflect that, not pretend otherwise, readers say.

CRIKEYFEB 24, 2023

Terence Mills writes: James Ley’s article “Sanitising Roald Dahl’s words treats readers like fools” made me think of Winston Smith who in Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four was employed to sanitise history as instructed by the government.

We should never interfere with an author’s work. As with The Merchant of Venice, an explanatory note at the beginning can explain how different things were viewed at different times. Or go right ahead and publish two versions — the original and an abridged one — but don’t interfere with the original.

Jenny Darling writes: At last someone has pointed out the commercial imperatives behind this move, the real story that mainstream media has for the most part ignored.

It is very unusual for a dead author’s work to be rewritten. But 70 years of copyright ownership after the author’s death is probably highly motivating for those in charge of said copyrights. In the future, we may see more of this sort of maximising of commercial options.

Whatever happened to imagination? Soon we shall all be drowning in this profit-driven, shallow culture.

Kent Wood writes: James Ley has an interesting take on the social/moral editorial adjustments being made to Roald Dahl’s work. The Brothers Grimm fairy tales were written during a time when public executions were common and popular. Sudden and violent death is integral to their work. What was once considered stock-standard children’s literature has faded into obscurity. Let the lesson be learnt.

One of the main benefits of literature is that it can reflect the time the author is/was living in. Most importantly, the written word is meant to provide a thoughtful and considered exposé of any or all of the author’s life experience, personality, psychological state and way of living.

Modifying, editing, changing someone else’s written word is nothing new. Academics use the term “revisionist” to describe historical records that have been adjusted, as it were, to make them easier to understand or accept in today’s world. Universities place a higher value on “primary” research — that which relies on “original” sources alone. Language is also constantly changing, and understanding is valuable only to the point of clarity. The King James version of the Christian Bible has purportedly been completely rewritten at least 14 times — to the point of creating some doubt as to what the original text actually contained.

The changes being made to Dahl’s works are driven by the human ego — and our ever-present perception of superiority over both those who live beside us and those who came before us.

Mark Hills writes: Dahl’s texts should be preserved as written. Living authors are free to update their books for whatever reasons. Dahl would probably have fun ridiculing inclusive changes to his works. As James Ley says, you do not have to like or approve of a work to read and criticise it appreciatively.

It won’t be long before some woke left wing progressive with a red pen starts working their way through Mein Kampf.


In the future mein Kampf will be a primary school book – that many good ideas shouldn’t be left in a dusty corner

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 23:44:14
From: dv
ID: 1998461
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

dv said:

I’ve never heard of “a Dikshant” in this sense. I’m familiar with Dikshant as a given name.

Seems like the internet has also never heard of a Dikshant.


That’s some serious bignoting

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 23:49:21
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1998463
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Peak Warming Man said:

I hadn’t heard of Simon Seabag Montefiore until tonight.

Same here.

Well there you go, Roughbarked will probably know him but still 2 out of 3 people on a popular forum have never heard of him.


Typo. Should be Sebag.

I know of him. My wife and her family were mad keen historians, so I was exposed to his work as well.
He also featured in a number of documentaries which, I think, went to air on SBS-TV some years ago.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/02/2023 23:59:19
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1998465
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Standing (or, in this case, sitting) by for the next editions of the -dle games to appear.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 00:36:12
From: Woodie
ID: 1998479
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


Standing (or, in this case, sitting) by for the next editions of the -dle games to appear.

Yeah. Alphadoodle.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 00:37:14
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1998480
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


AussieDJ said:

Standing (or, in this case, sitting) by for the next editions of the -dle games to appear.

Yeah. Alphadoodle.


For when you want to eat your own words.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 00:46:04
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1998482
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Woodie said:

AussieDJ said:

Standing (or, in this case, sitting) by for the next editions of the -dle games to appear.

Yeah. Alphadoodle.


For when you want to eat your own words.

With a can of that, you can end up playing with your food!

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 01:00:43
From: furious
ID: 1998487
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Woodie said:

Yeah. Alphadoodle.


For when you want to eat your own words.

With a can of that, you can end up playing with your food!

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 01:14:29
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1998490
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bark painting mystery gives artist important place in family tree

A fascinating quest to discover the identity of a prolific early-20th-century Indigenous painter has led a Griffith directed research team to the top and bottom of Australia—and to Paris—and has finally given the artist recognition and new meaning to his modern-day family.

more…

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 01:42:35
From: dv
ID: 1998492
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 02:05:38
From: Kingy
ID: 1998493
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Video of the inside of a rocket fuel tank during launch.

https://v.redd.it/lwo9vrbw30ka1

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 02:14:13
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1998494
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Video of the inside of a rocket fuel tank during launch.

https://v.redd.it/lwo9vrbw30ka1


Interesting. Thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 03:31:59
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1998499
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


https://www.crikey.com.au/2023/02/24/your-say-roald-dahl-voice-to-parliament/?fbclid=IwAR0lPG5bPsg0VIZhTc-FTsGop41EDvsgN3uw6Jiyr9j6-8DZjjC7tfvvjRg

Link

No happily-ever-after for children of all ages — not to mention Roald Dahl
Dahl may well have been ‘an unpleasant man with unpleasant ideas’, but his works should reflect that, not pretend otherwise, readers say.

CRIKEYFEB 24, 2023

Terence Mills writes: James Ley’s article “Sanitising Roald Dahl’s words treats readers like fools” made me think of Winston Smith who in Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four was employed to sanitise history as instructed by the government.

We should never interfere with an author’s work. As with The Merchant of Venice, an explanatory note at the beginning can explain how different things were viewed at different times. Or go right ahead and publish two versions — the original and an abridged one — but don’t interfere with the original.

Jenny Darling writes: At last someone has pointed out the commercial imperatives behind this move, the real story that mainstream media has for the most part ignored.

It is very unusual for a dead author’s work to be rewritten. But 70 years of copyright ownership after the author’s death is probably highly motivating for those in charge of said copyrights. In the future, we may see more of this sort of maximising of commercial options.

Whatever happened to imagination? Soon we shall all be drowning in this profit-driven, shallow culture.

Kent Wood writes: James Ley has an interesting take on the social/moral editorial adjustments being made to Roald Dahl’s work. The Brothers Grimm fairy tales were written during a time when public executions were common and popular. Sudden and violent death is integral to their work. What was once considered stock-standard children’s literature has faded into obscurity. Let the lesson be learnt.

One of the main benefits of literature is that it can reflect the time the author is/was living in. Most importantly, the written word is meant to provide a thoughtful and considered exposé of any or all of the author’s life experience, personality, psychological state and way of living.

Modifying, editing, changing someone else’s written word is nothing new. Academics use the term “revisionist” to describe historical records that have been adjusted, as it were, to make them easier to understand or accept in today’s world. Universities place a higher value on “primary” research — that which relies on “original” sources alone. Language is also constantly changing, and understanding is valuable only to the point of clarity. The King James version of the Christian Bible has purportedly been completely rewritten at least 14 times — to the point of creating some doubt as to what the original text actually contained.

The changes being made to Dahl’s works are driven by the human ego — and our ever-present perception of superiority over both those who live beside us and those who came before us.

Mark Hills writes: Dahl’s texts should be preserved as written. Living authors are free to update their books for whatever reasons. Dahl would probably have fun ridiculing inclusive changes to his works. As James Ley says, you do not have to like or approve of a work to read and criticise it appreciatively.

I would agree with the above. Not having been comprehensively versed with Dahl’s works, the limited number I have been introduced were IMO very well written with much wit and imagination of which I was most impressed. In other words I liked them.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 06:29:07
From: buffy
ID: 1998505
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 19 degrees, dark and still. There are crickets chirruping, maggie carolling and a dog barking a couple of houses away (that’s Max, the German Shepherd). We are forecast 23 degrees, showers and maybe a thunderstorm.

No particular plans except to go to the bakery early for the pick of the loaves. Some ivy weeding perhaps. Depends if the rain eventuates.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 06:45:08
From: buffy
ID: 1998506
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

And now the yellow tail black cockatoos are calling too.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 07:17:48
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998507
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


roughbarked said:

AussieDJ said:

Catch you later.

Maybe we need a generic “I’ll be right back” thread.
There’s one available in the Gardening Forum.
Oooh! It’s been there since 2008!

Nobody goes there but.

Except for the two of us, doing test posts, methinks.

:)

(I was thinking maybe it could be added to the row of options above ^ ^ ^ ^ . Then again, maybe not)

Maybe if cb88 is interested in doing so.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 07:28:28
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998510
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Peak Warming Man said:

I hadn’t heard of Simon Seabag Montefiore until tonight.

Same here.

Well there you go, Roughbarked will probably know him but still 2 out of 3 people on a popular forum have never heard of him.

I do know Montefiore’s but no Simon Seabag.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 07:32:52
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998511
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Good morning Holidayers. Presently 19 degrees, dark and still. There are crickets chirruping, maggie carolling and a dog barking a couple of houses away (that’s Max, the German Shepherd). We are forecast 23 degrees, showers and maybe a thunderstorm.

No particular plans except to go to the bakery early for the pick of the loaves. Some ivy weeding perhaps. Depends if the rain eventuates.

I’ve got ringnecks galahs crows white rumped miners grass parrots making the most noise.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 08:07:25
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998515
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:



Looks a bit like a young Elvis.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 08:11:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998516
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Good morning Holidayers. Presently 19 degrees, dark and still. There are crickets chirruping, maggie carolling and a dog barking a couple of houses away (that’s Max, the German Shepherd). We are forecast 23 degrees, showers and maybe a thunderstorm.

No particular plans except to go to the bakery early for the pick of the loaves. Some ivy weeding perhaps. Depends if the rain eventuates.

Strangely enough we’ll be much hotter than you today, heading for 31.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 08:11:34
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998517
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


dv said:


Looks a bit like a young Elvis.

Does have a similarity.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 08:12:07
From: transition
ID: 1998518
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I am hears starlings
too a honeyeater
or a fantail maybe is
former be likelier
magpie also’s raven
wattlebird farther
now cricket chirping

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 08:18:40
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998519
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


I am hears starlings
too a honeyeater
or a fantail maybe is
former be likelier
magpie also’s raven
wattlebird farther
now cricket chirping

Very quiet here. I’m wondering why this room smells of varnish or suchlike. Noticed it yesterday but it’s stronger today, quite strange.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 08:32:57
From: wookiemeister
ID: 1998523
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Same here.

Well there you go, Roughbarked will probably know him but still 2 out of 3 people on a popular forum have never heard of him.

I do know Montefiore’s but no Simon Seabag.


Montefiore sounds like a brilliant name for a biscuit.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 08:35:05
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998525
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

wookiemeister said:


roughbarked said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Well there you go, Roughbarked will probably know him but still 2 out of 3 people on a popular forum have never heard of him.

I do know Montefiore’s but no Simon Seabag.


Montefiore sounds like a brilliant name for a biscuit.

Sounds like a flowery mountain to me. Eidelweiss, sweet and bright.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 08:37:26
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998526
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

THE GOLD FILLED STORY 1955 JEWELRY INDUSTRY PROMOTIONAL FILM

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 08:44:00
From: wookiemeister
ID: 1998528
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


wookiemeister said:

roughbarked said:

I do know Montefiore’s but no Simon Seabag.


Montefiore sounds like a brilliant name for a biscuit.

Sounds like a flowery mountain to me. Eidelweiss, sweet and bright.


Maybe we could have the packaging of the biscuits with those flowery mountains ? Drawings of happy wholesome children being sung to by a young woman.

Then we will force people to eat this biscuit. At first they will be flavoursome and elegant but with each successive biscuit they will become, dry, brittle and splinter into inedible shards shunned by all but the hungriest dog.

It will be glorious

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 08:45:37
From: wookiemeister
ID: 1998529
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Project edelweiss montefiore

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 09:10:44
From: Michael V
ID: 1998531
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Video of the inside of a rocket fuel tank during launch.

https://v.redd.it/lwo9vrbw30ka1

Gosh. Some of the statistics in the discussion are mind-boggling.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 09:36:51
From: buffy
ID: 1998534
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Rain has arrived.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR142.loop.shtml#skip

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 10:17:08
From: Michael V
ID: 1998554
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light breezes, 22.5°C and 79% RH. ORB collected 97 mm rainfall in the 48 hours to 9 am. The rain was mostly in short heavy to very heavy showers. A good chance of rain right throughout the day and maximum of 27°C is forecast by the BoM.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 10:19:19
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1998558
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, light breezes, 22.5°C and 79% RH. ORB collected 97 mm rainfall in the 48 hours to 9 am. The rain was mostly in short heavy to very heavy showers. A good chance of rain right throughout the day and maximum of 27°C is forecast by the BoM.

Summary Max 31 Showers developing. Possible rainfall: 6 to 25 mm Chance of any rain: 90%

Hobart area

Mostly sunny morning. Very high (90%) chance of showers developing in the late afternoon and possibly tending to a period of rain at night. The chance of a thunderstorm during the late afternoon and evening, with possible heavy falls. Winds northerly 25 to 35 km/h shifting southerly 15 to 25 km/h in the early afternoon then becoming light in the late evening.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 10:27:45
From: Michael V
ID: 1998564
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Rain has arrived.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR142.loop.shtml#skip

And here too.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 10:30:11
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1998566
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

Rain has arrived.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR142.loop.shtml#skip

And here too.

dry as a dead dingoes donga here for the foreseeable future.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 10:40:36
From: Michael V
ID: 1998571
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

Rain has arrived.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR142.loop.shtml#skip

And here too.

It is now persisting down.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 10:49:38
From: Tamb
ID: 1998573
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Michael V said:

buffy said:

Rain has arrived.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR142.loop.shtml#skip

And here too.

It is now persisting down.

Weather seems to be returning to the old 8 weeks of drizzle regime.
Temps are between 19 & 17° Rain for the last few days.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 11:25:02
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998578
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning punters.
It’s fine with the track a Good(4) and the rail in.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 11:28:23
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998580
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Morning punters.
It’s fine with the track a Good(4) and the rail in.

Will chewing gum be sticking to the rail?

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 11:42:10
From: dv
ID: 1998586
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Roald Dahl original versions will be released alongside amended versions.

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/roald-dahl-classic-text-release-cec/index.html

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 11:42:51
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998589
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:

Roald Dahl original versions will be released alongside amended versions.

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/roald-dahl-classic-text-release-cec/index.html

Have got all the first editions.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 11:46:30
From: Tamb
ID: 1998593
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Morning punters.
It’s fine with the track a Good(4) and the rail in.

Will chewing gum be sticking to the rail?

Where will Beedle Bomb come?

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 12:37:12
From: buffy
ID: 1998604
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:

Roald Dahl original versions will be released alongside amended versions.

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/roald-dahl-classic-text-release-cec/index.html

Nice bit of marketing there…

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 13:01:22
From: dv
ID: 1998607
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Creag an tuire!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=9-uAN2BoLkM

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 13:27:54
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998609
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Creag an tuire!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=9-uAN2BoLkM

I think Dr Who is one step up from International Rescue.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 13:38:50
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998610
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


dv said:

Creag an tuire!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=9-uAN2BoLkM

I think Dr Who is one step up from International Rescue.

It has real people in it for a start.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 13:41:31
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998611
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

dv said:

Creag an tuire!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=9-uAN2BoLkM

I think Dr Who is one step up from International Rescue.

It has real people in it for a start.

Well spotted.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 13:52:20
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998612
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

England are towling up NZ at the moment and NZ are not a bad side.
Love to see England play India in India, would be a cracker.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 13:52:51
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1998615
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


dv said:

Creag an tuire!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=9-uAN2BoLkM

I think Dr Who is one step up from International Rescue.

F.A.B.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 13:53:48
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998616
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Peak Warming Man said:

dv said:

Creag an tuire!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=9-uAN2BoLkM

I think Dr Who is one step up from International Rescue.

F.A.B.

Absolutely

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 13:58:54
From: Michael V
ID: 1998618
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Brunch: Toast, fried egg, fried tomato and Clonakilty Blackpudding.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 14:03:49
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998619
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Brunch: Toast, fried egg, fried tomato and Clonakilty Blackpudding.

Looks a nice grainy one.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 14:07:23
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998620
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I had spicy rice (basmati, finely chopped onion, garlic, zucchini cooked in olive oil and butter with lemon juice, corn kernels, peas, tarragon, hot paprika, hen stock, pink rock salt etc) with a couple sliced hard boiled eggs mixed in.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 14:17:56
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998621
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Michael V said:

Brunch: Toast, fried egg, fried tomato and Clonakilty Blackpudding.

Looks a nice grainy one.


Another 5 minutes in the oven and they would be right on the money.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 14:19:16
From: transition
ID: 1998622
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

this last lot apples very ordinary

in other news 1mm rain lastnight

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 14:22:04
From: Michael V
ID: 1998624
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Michael V said:

Brunch: Toast, fried egg, fried tomato and Clonakilty Blackpudding.

Looks a nice grainy one.


It is very grainy, but falls apart during cooking.

I much prefer Gotzinger Black Pudding for both flavour and texture.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 14:25:02
From: becklefreckle
ID: 1998625
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

‘ning everyone, it’s been a while.

My brunch is a smoothie my housemate just made for me. Frozen blueberries, yoghurt, coconut milk and hemp protein powder. It tastes weird…

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 14:25:07
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1998626
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

Michael V said:

Brunch: Toast, fried egg, fried tomato and Clonakilty Blackpudding.

Looks a nice grainy one.


Another 5 minutes in the oven and they would be right on the money.

by ecky thump, even the white bits are black.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 14:25:23
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998627
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

Michael V said:

Brunch: Toast, fried egg, fried tomato and Clonakilty Blackpudding.

Looks a nice grainy one.


It is very grainy, but falls apart during cooking.

I much prefer Gotzinger Black Pudding for both flavour and texture.


I prefer the grainier ones (especially those with barley), which are more in the eastern European tradition.

And I rarely cook black pudding, it’s already cooked :)

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 14:26:44
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998628
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

becklefreckle said:


‘ning everyone, it’s been a while.

My brunch is a smoothie my housemate just made for me. Frozen blueberries, yoghurt, coconut milk and hemp protein powder. It tastes weird…

Welcome aboard, becklefreckle :)

Hemp protein powder sounds a bit industrial.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 14:32:34
From: kii
ID: 1998630
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

becklefreckle said:


‘ning everyone, it’s been a while.

My brunch is a smoothie my housemate just made for me. Frozen blueberries, yoghurt, coconut milk and hemp protein powder. It tastes weird…

I just had hemp hearts on my salad, and about to take CBD hemp gummies as a sleep aid.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 14:35:10
From: Michael V
ID: 1998632
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

becklefreckle said:


‘ning everyone, it’s been a while.

My brunch is a smoothie my housemate just made for me. Frozen blueberries, yoghurt, coconut milk and hemp protein powder. It tastes weird…

Now there’s a name I haven’t seen in a very long time!

Welcome back.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 14:47:01
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1998633
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

hi bec.
I was just thinking about the Roald Dahl consorship shit and i think I am more offended at the autotuning of the soundtrack of my life.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 14:51:31
From: becklefreckle
ID: 1998634
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Nice to see you SM :-)

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 15:01:49
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1998639
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Environment

“Our proposal is that the waters around Macquarie Island – the whole exclusive economic zone – will become marine park.”

Tanya PlibersekThe Environment minister announces a plan to expand the Macquarie Island Marine Park. The park will be about the size of Germany but significantly less full of German

saturday paper.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 15:13:10
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1998644
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:

becklefreckle said:

‘ning everyone, it’s been a while.

My brunch is a smoothie my housemate just made for me. Frozen blueberries, yoghurt, coconut milk and hemp protein powder. It tastes weird…

Now there’s a name I haven’t seen in a very long time!

Welcome back.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 15:47:55
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1998653
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Just discovered The Bilderberg Meeting which is QI.

(if I had heard of it before, I had totally forgotten about it.)

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 15:53:16
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1998655
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:

Just discovered The Bilderberg Meeting which is QI.

(if I had heard of it before, I had totally forgotten about it.)

nice

The group’s agenda … is now defined as bolstering a consensus around free market Western capitalism and its interests around the globe … fed conspiracy theories from both the left and right.

“theories”

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 15:57:21
From: buffy
ID: 1998656
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


this last lot apples very ordinary

in other news 1mm rain lastnight

My Red Delicious and Snow Apples have just started ripening and they are delish. The Jonathans are small and the Granny Smiths will be a while yet. Haven’t had a reasonable apple season for a while. The white peaches and blood plums are finished and the nectarines almost so. I’ve eaten so many stone fruit this year. With no ill effects that I’ve noticed. Very few quinces have set. I guess that is what happens when you have less than mean rainfall for a few years and then get reasonable if late rain.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 16:00:28
From: buffy
ID: 1998658
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

becklefreckle said:


Nice to see you SM :-)

You will have to be very weird to be weird in here these days. We are the leftovers/refugees and we relish our individuality.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 16:06:00
From: buffy
ID: 1998663
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

As you can tell, I’m catching up. I had a read and a nap. Mr buffy has declared he wants a pizza for tea, so we will drive in to Hamilton and probably sit by the lake to eat.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 16:13:27
From: Michael V
ID: 1998667
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


Just discovered The Bilderberg Meeting which is QI.

(if I had heard of it before, I had totally forgotten about it.)

Thanks. Never heard of it before, either.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 16:32:46
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998673
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


becklefreckle said:

‘ning everyone, it’s been a while.

My brunch is a smoothie my housemate just made for me. Frozen blueberries, yoghurt, coconut milk and hemp protein powder. It tastes weird…

Welcome aboard, becklefreckle :)

Hemp protein powder sounds a bit industrial.

Hemp is an acquired taste.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 16:33:22
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998674
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


becklefreckle said:

‘ning everyone, it’s been a while.

My brunch is a smoothie my housemate just made for me. Frozen blueberries, yoghurt, coconut milk and hemp protein powder. It tastes weird…

I just had hemp hearts on my salad, and about to take CBD hemp gummies as a sleep aid.

We need to change the laws here.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 16:43:55
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998681
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


transition said:

this last lot apples very ordinary

in other news 1mm rain lastnight

My Red Delicious and Snow Apples have just started ripening and they are delish. The Jonathans are small and the Granny Smiths will be a while yet. Haven’t had a reasonable apple season for a while. The white peaches and blood plums are finished and the nectarines almost so. I’ve eaten so many stone fruit this year. With no ill effects that I’ve noticed. Very few quinces have set. I guess that is what happens when you have less than mean rainfall for a few years and then get reasonable if late rain.

I’m starting to look at my pink lady with thoughts of munching on.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 17:00:24
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998685
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

It appears tthat I am now a happenstance no one wants to get to have.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 17:33:25
From: Trevtaowillgetyounowhere
ID: 1998704
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Going to make Philly Cheesesteaks on the BBQ tonight, think I might set up the fire pit, put on some music, turn on the backyard party lights and have a few beers !!!!!!

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 17:37:27
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998706
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:


Going to make Philly Cheesesteaks on the BBQ tonight, think I might set up the fire pit, put on some music, turn on the backyard party lights and have a few beers !!!!!!

Yeah that should be ok.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 17:37:32
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1998707
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:


Going to make Philly Cheesesteaks on the BBQ tonight, think I might set up the fire pit, put on some music, turn on the backyard party lights and have a few beers !!!!!!

sounds alright. I made a camembert and fillet toasted bun once. it was very nice.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 17:43:38
From: Trevtaowillgetyounowhere
ID: 1998710
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:

Going to make Philly Cheesesteaks on the BBQ tonight, think I might set up the fire pit, put on some music, turn on the backyard party lights and have a few beers !!!!!!

Yeah that should be ok.

then its settled!

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 17:44:19
From: Trevtaowillgetyounowhere
ID: 1998711
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:

Going to make Philly Cheesesteaks on the BBQ tonight, think I might set up the fire pit, put on some music, turn on the backyard party lights and have a few beers !!!!!!

sounds alright. I made a camembert and fillet toasted bun once. it was very nice.

was there party lights?

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 17:48:48
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1998712
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:

Going to make Philly Cheesesteaks on the BBQ tonight, think I might set up the fire pit, put on some music, turn on the backyard party lights and have a few beers !!!!!!

sounds alright. I made a camembert and fillet toasted bun once. it was very nice.

was there party lights?

no lights. no music. no fire pit. I had beer. It was basically me and the bun.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 17:50:55
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998713
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:

ChrispenEvan said:

sounds alright. I made a camembert and fillet toasted bun once. it was very nice.

was there party lights?

no lights. no music. no fire pit. I had beer. It was basically me and the bun.

and the beer.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 17:51:30
From: Trevtaowillgetyounowhere
ID: 1998714
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:

ChrispenEvan said:

sounds alright. I made a camembert and fillet toasted bun once. it was very nice.

was there party lights?

no lights. no music. no fire pit. I had beer. It was basically me and the bun.

As I always say who needs friends when you can drink beer, at home, alone, in your room, in the dark? I guess you could try to modify it and work a bun in there somehow

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 17:53:43
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1998715
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:

was there party lights?

no lights. no music. no fire pit. I had beer. It was basically me and the bun.

As I always say who needs friends when you can drink beer, at home, alone, in your room, in the dark? I guess you could try to modify it and work a bun in there somehow

one positive was the tears of my loneliness allowed me to save salt on my steak.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 17:54:48
From: Michael V
ID: 1998716
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:


Going to make Philly Cheesesteaks on the BBQ tonight, think I might set up the fire pit, put on some music, turn on the backyard party lights and have a few beers !!!!!!

Approved.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 18:00:40
From: Trevtaowillgetyounowhere
ID: 1998717
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:

ChrispenEvan said:

no lights. no music. no fire pit. I had beer. It was basically me and the bun.

As I always say who needs friends when you can drink beer, at home, alone, in your room, in the dark? I guess you could try to modify it and work a bun in there somehow

one positive was the tears of my loneliness allowed me to save salt on my steak.

That’s the spirit!

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 18:03:04
From: OCDC
ID: 1998718
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:

ChrispenEvan said:

sounds alright. I made a camembert and fillet toasted bun once. it was very nice.

was there party lights?

no lights. no music. no fire pit. I had beer. It was basically me and the bun.

And a pink bendy straw I’m sure.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 18:04:31
From: Trevtaowillgetyounowhere
ID: 1998720
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:

was there party lights?

no lights. no music. no fire pit. I had beer. It was basically me and the bun.

And a pink bendy straw I’m sure.

Now there’s a phrase ive not heard in a very long time

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 18:06:05
From: OCDC
ID: 1998721
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:


OCDC said:

ChrispenEvan said:

no lights. no music. no fire pit. I had beer. It was basically me and the bun.

And a pink bendy straw I’m sure.

Now there’s a phrase ive not heard in a very long time


I thought you’d remember.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 18:21:36
From: Trevtaowillgetyounowhere
ID: 1998722
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:

OCDC said:

And a pink bendy straw I’m sure.

Now there’s a phrase ive not heard in a very long time


I thought you’d remember.

I think I had repressed it …..

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 18:38:03
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998724
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:


OCDC said:

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:

Now there’s a phrase ive not heard in a very long time


I thought you’d remember.

I think I had repressed it …..

No Secrets

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 18:40:21
From: OCDC
ID: 1998725
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:


OCDC said:

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:

Now there’s a phrase ive not heard in a very long time


I thought you’d remember.

I think I had repressed it …..

Very valid point.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 18:51:16
From: wookiemeister
ID: 1998731
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:

As I always say who needs friends when you can drink beer, at home, alone, in your room, in the dark? I guess you could try to modify it and work a bun in there somehow

one positive was the tears of my loneliness allowed me to save salt on my steak.

That’s the spirit!


One is the loneliest number

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 18:53:05
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998733
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

wookiemeister said:


Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:

ChrispenEvan said:

one positive was the tears of my loneliness allowed me to save salt on my steak.

That’s the spirit!


One is the loneliest number

It can be far lonlier without one.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 18:54:47
From: Trevtaowillgetyounowhere
ID: 1998737
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Nom

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 18:56:09
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1998739
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:


Nom

scrummylums.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 19:04:57
From: buffy
ID: 1998756
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:

Nom

scrummylums.

That’s a lot of food. By the time I’d eaten the salad bits, I wouldn’t be able to fit in the meat and bread. Or vice versa. (She says, having just eaten a whole small ham and pineapple pizza to herself)

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 19:07:01
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998760
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

To change the subject. A little more USA flag waving.
The Depoilier watch.

A great article titled “New Book Upends Watch History” was published in The Gentleman Racer this morning about Charles Depollier and his 1918 Waltham Depollier “Field & Marine” Waterproof Watch.

The watch that completely crushes Hans Wilsdorf’s and Rolex’s narrative that they created the “world’s first waterproof watch” with the 1926 Oyster.

A few more articles like this are scheduled for the near future by well known publications so stay tuned!

Click on the link below to read the article.

New Book Upends Watch History

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 19:07:41
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998761
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:

Nom

scrummylums.

That’s a lot of food. By the time I’d eaten the salad bits, I wouldn’t be able to fit in the meat and bread.

Same.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 19:08:22
From: Trevtaowillgetyounowhere
ID: 1998763
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

ChrispenEvan said:

scrummylums.

That’s a lot of food. By the time I’d eaten the salad bits, I wouldn’t be able to fit in the meat and bread.

Same.


welp i scoffed the lot!

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 19:09:18
From: buffy
ID: 1998766
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I have suggested we watch “Stage Mother” on SBS on demand tonight. Yes, I know Mardi Gras is on, but we’ve watched sooo many of them for sooo many years now…

Anyway, does anyone have an opinion on “Stage Mother”? I am notorious for picking bad movies. Mr buffy is not quite trusting me on this one.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 19:12:11
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998772
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

That’s a lot of food. By the time I’d eaten the salad bits, I wouldn’t be able to fit in the meat and bread.

Same.


welp i scoffed the lot!

Prolly got a bigger stomach than myself.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 19:12:40
From: Trevtaowillgetyounowhere
ID: 1998773
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:

roughbarked said:

Same.


welp i scoffed the lot!

Prolly got a bigger stomach than myself.

yes ima fatty

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 19:12:49
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998774
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I have suggested we watch “Stage Mother” on SBS on demand tonight. Yes, I know Mardi Gras is on, but we’ve watched sooo many of them for sooo many years now…

Anyway, does anyone have an opinion on “Stage Mother”? I am notorious for picking bad movies. Mr buffy is not quite trusting me on this one.

Never heard of it. sorry.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 19:15:02
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998776
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

To lighten the air.
The Dectectorists theme tune

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 19:31:27
From: Michael V
ID: 1998793
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Trevtaowillgetyounowhere said:


Nom

Looking great.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 21:13:57
From: buffy
ID: 1998855
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Well, finally I chose a good movie for us to watch. “Stage Mother” I enjoyed. Jacki Weaver and Lucy Liu. And a gay bar. What’s not to like?

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 22:19:01
From: Kingy
ID: 1998872
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I got a bit more engine rebuilding done this arvo. Last Wednesday I was able to re-drill and helicoil the stripped head bolt thread, and bolt the new cylinder head on. Today I moved the exhaust manifold from the old head to the new engine assembly, then unbolted the intake manifold and the thermostat housing off the old head(I’ll bolt them on after the engine is back in the Hilux).

The next task was to remove the injectors and glow plugs from the old head, along with the glowplug power rail, and the injector bleed lines, then get the injectors and glow plugs into the new head along with the associated plumbing. It all sounds easy, but the bastard thing fights back every inch of the way. No wonder mechanics hate these fkn things.
Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 22:27:29
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1998873
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


I got a bit more engine rebuilding done this arvo. Last Wednesday I was able to re-drill and helicoil the stripped head bolt thread, and bolt the new cylinder head on. Today I moved the exhaust manifold from the old head to the new engine assembly, then unbolted the intake manifold and the thermostat housing off the old head(I’ll bolt them on after the engine is back in the Hilux).

The next task was to remove the injectors and glow plugs from the old head, along with the glowplug power rail, and the injector bleed lines, then get the injectors and glow plugs into the new head along with the associated plumbing. It all sounds easy, but the bastard thing fights back every inch of the way. No wonder mechanics hate these fkn things.

Be careful.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 22:28:08
From: Kingy
ID: 1998874
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

This particular brand of cylinder head comes with a bar of soap and a packet of jelly beans in just two colours. The same colours that are on their packaging.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 22:36:16
From: Kingy
ID: 1998876
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Engine, trans, and cylinder head stripped ready for replacement.

The new cylinder head is transported inside a wooden box inside a cardboard box.

I should have made an “unboxing” video for YouTube :)

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 22:41:24
From: Ian
ID: 1998877
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


This particular brand of cylinder head comes with a bar of soap and a packet of jelly beans in just two colours. The same colours that are on their packaging.


So when you can’t make your gasket fit, swear, hurl the tools and walk away at least you can clean up and have something sweet to chew on :)

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 22:54:24
From: party_pants
ID: 1998878
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


I got a bit more engine rebuilding done this arvo. Last Wednesday I was able to re-drill and helicoil the stripped head bolt thread, and bolt the new cylinder head on. Today I moved the exhaust manifold from the old head to the new engine assembly, then unbolted the intake manifold and the thermostat housing off the old head(I’ll bolt them on after the engine is back in the Hilux).

The next task was to remove the injectors and glow plugs from the old head, along with the glowplug power rail, and the injector bleed lines, then get the injectors and glow plugs into the new head along with the associated plumbing. It all sounds easy, but the bastard thing fights back every inch of the way. No wonder mechanics hate these fkn things.

So why do you do it?

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 23:12:53
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998879
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


I got a bit more engine rebuilding done this arvo. Last Wednesday I was able to re-drill and helicoil the stripped head bolt thread, and bolt the new cylinder head on. Today I moved the exhaust manifold from the old head to the new engine assembly, then unbolted the intake manifold and the thermostat housing off the old head(I’ll bolt them on after the engine is back in the Hilux).

The next task was to remove the injectors and glow plugs from the old head, along with the glowplug power rail, and the injector bleed lines, then get the injectors and glow plugs into the new head along with the associated plumbing. It all sounds easy, but the bastard thing fights back every inch of the way. No wonder mechanics hate these fkn things.

That’s a lot of work, what’s the end game?

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 23:19:11
From: Woodie
ID: 1998880
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


I got a bit more engine rebuilding done this arvo. Last Wednesday I was able to re-drill and helicoil the stripped head bolt thread, and bolt the new cylinder head on. Today I moved the exhaust manifold from the old head to the new engine assembly, then unbolted the intake manifold and the thermostat housing off the old head(I’ll bolt them on after the engine is back in the Hilux).

The next task was to remove the injectors and glow plugs from the old head, along with the glowplug power rail, and the injector bleed lines, then get the injectors and glow plugs into the new head along with the associated plumbing. It all sounds easy, but the bastard thing fights back every inch of the way. No wonder mechanics hate these fkn things.

I have no idea what it means but I’m just forced to believe it.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 23:37:15
From: Kingy
ID: 1998881
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Kingy said:

I got a bit more engine rebuilding done this arvo. Last Wednesday I was able to re-drill and helicoil the stripped head bolt thread, and bolt the new cylinder head on. Today I moved the exhaust manifold from the old head to the new engine assembly, then unbolted the intake manifold and the thermostat housing off the old head(I’ll bolt them on after the engine is back in the Hilux).

The next task was to remove the injectors and glow plugs from the old head, along with the glowplug power rail, and the injector bleed lines, then get the injectors and glow plugs into the new head along with the associated plumbing. It all sounds easy, but the bastard thing fights back every inch of the way. No wonder mechanics hate these fkn things.

So why do you do it?

Buy for $400, sell for $8000. Tax free. I’ve checked, if you sell a car for more than you paid for it, the taxman doesn’t care about the asset gain.

You can only do it 4 times a year, or you have to get a car sales dealers license.

Unfortunately, this one is becoming a barely break-even. I just want it gone.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 23:40:23
From: Kingy
ID: 1998882
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Ian said:


Kingy said:

This particular brand of cylinder head comes with a bar of soap and a packet of jelly beans in just two colours. The same colours that are on their packaging.


So when you can’t make your gasket fit, swear, hurl the tools and walk away at least you can clean up and have something sweet to chew on :)

Yes, exactly that.

Except Ms Kingy ate all the yellow ones while I was was scrubbing my hands.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 23:51:49
From: Kingy
ID: 1998884
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Kingy said:

I got a bit more engine rebuilding done this arvo. Last Wednesday I was able to re-drill and helicoil the stripped head bolt thread, and bolt the new cylinder head on. Today I moved the exhaust manifold from the old head to the new engine assembly, then unbolted the intake manifold and the thermostat housing off the old head(I’ll bolt them on after the engine is back in the Hilux).

The next task was to remove the injectors and glow plugs from the old head, along with the glowplug power rail, and the injector bleed lines, then get the injectors and glow plugs into the new head along with the associated plumbing. It all sounds easy, but the bastard thing fights back every inch of the way. No wonder mechanics hate these fkn things.

I have no idea what it means but I’m just forced to believe it.

That’s why the mechanic that fixes your car costs so much. Especially these days as the cars get ever more complicated.

Back in the day, you could fix them with a couple of spanners and a screwdriver.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 23:57:10
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1998886
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Woodie said:

Kingy said:

I got a bit more engine rebuilding done this arvo. Last Wednesday I was able to re-drill and helicoil the stripped head bolt thread, and bolt the new cylinder head on. Today I moved the exhaust manifold from the old head to the new engine assembly, then unbolted the intake manifold and the thermostat housing off the old head(I’ll bolt them on after the engine is back in the Hilux).

The next task was to remove the injectors and glow plugs from the old head, along with the glowplug power rail, and the injector bleed lines, then get the injectors and glow plugs into the new head along with the associated plumbing. It all sounds easy, but the bastard thing fights back every inch of the way. No wonder mechanics hate these fkn things.

I have no idea what it means but I’m just forced to believe it.

That’s why the mechanic that fixes your car costs so much. Especially these days as the cars get ever more complicated.

Back in the day, you could fix them with a couple of spanners and a screwdriver.

… and a hammer.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 23:57:36
From: Woodie
ID: 1998887
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Woodie said:

Kingy said:

I got a bit more engine rebuilding done this arvo. Last Wednesday I was able to re-drill and helicoil the stripped head bolt thread, and bolt the new cylinder head on. Today I moved the exhaust manifold from the old head to the new engine assembly, then unbolted the intake manifold and the thermostat housing off the old head(I’ll bolt them on after the engine is back in the Hilux).

The next task was to remove the injectors and glow plugs from the old head, along with the glowplug power rail, and the injector bleed lines, then get the injectors and glow plugs into the new head along with the associated plumbing. It all sounds easy, but the bastard thing fights back every inch of the way. No wonder mechanics hate these fkn things.

I have no idea what it means but I’m just forced to believe it.

That’s why the mechanic that fixes your car costs so much. Especially these days as the cars get ever more complicated.

Back in the day, you could fix them with a couple of spanners and a screwdriver.

Says my Mr Car Fixer that cost me $1,056 last Thursday for a service and new front brakes (pads and rotors).

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 23:57:56
From: Kingy
ID: 1998889
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Kingy said:

I got a bit more engine rebuilding done this arvo. Last Wednesday I was able to re-drill and helicoil the stripped head bolt thread, and bolt the new cylinder head on. Today I moved the exhaust manifold from the old head to the new engine assembly, then unbolted the intake manifold and the thermostat housing off the old head(I’ll bolt them on after the engine is back in the Hilux).

The next task was to remove the injectors and glow plugs from the old head, along with the glowplug power rail, and the injector bleed lines, then get the injectors and glow plugs into the new head along with the associated plumbing. It all sounds easy, but the bastard thing fights back every inch of the way. No wonder mechanics hate these fkn things.

That’s a lot of work, what’s the end game?

My day job doesn’t pay enough to retire on, this is my second third job in order to pay off my mortgage.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2023 23:59:26
From: Kingy
ID: 1998890
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


Kingy said:

Woodie said:

I have no idea what it means but I’m just forced to believe it.

That’s why the mechanic that fixes your car costs so much. Especially these days as the cars get ever more complicated.

Back in the day, you could fix them with a couple of spanners and a screwdriver.

… and a hammer.

That got some use today too. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 00:08:19
From: Kingy
ID: 1998895
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I wasn’t expecting to take over the chat thread tonight, I’m just cooking dinner and posting some pics of today’s fun.

I’ll check out the previous posts soon. Ms Kingy has retired to the lounge room and is watching tsunami vids while I cook sketty and some Mexican spiced mince beef.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 06:58:26
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1998939
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 07:45:23
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1998942
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning pilgrims, it’s cool but set fine at the redoubt.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 08:20:45
From: buffy
ID: 1998945
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 12 degrees, overcast and still. We are forecast a showery 20 degrees. I can cope with that.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 08:49:24
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1998950
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News:

‘Iran says it has developed long-range cruise missile, repeats threats against Donald Trump’

See? There’s a little good in everyone, if you just look hardenough.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 09:38:22
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1998959
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

46 ml of rain. handy.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 09:40:35
From: roughbarked
ID: 1998960
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


46 ml of rain. handy.

No handy things here.
still watering.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 09:56:12
From: Tamb
ID: 1998963
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

46 ml of rain. handy.

No handy things here.
still watering.


The drizzle continues. 2.2mm in the last 24 hrs. 35mm below the monthly average & with only 2 days to go it will be a slightly drier than average month.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 10:05:05
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1998964
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

just think we probably wouldn’t have habeas corpus if it weren’t for a fat man and a dozy lord.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 10:05:53
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1998965
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News:

‘Farmers first and foremost, these gay graziers are breaking stereotypes’

An interesting and timely story, what withthe Sydney festival and all.

But some quirk of mine eyes keeps presentingthe words ‘gay graziers’ to me as ‘gray gaziers’. Whatever they might be!

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 10:07:09
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1998966
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:

…fat man and a dozy lord.

Are they the heroes in the next DC Comics ‘movie blockbuster’?

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 10:18:44
From: Tamb
ID: 1998967
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ABC News:

‘Farmers first and foremost, these gay graziers are breaking stereotypes’

An interesting and timely story, what withthe Sydney festival and all.

But some quirk of mine eyes keeps presentingthe words ‘gay graziers’ to me as ‘gray gaziers’. Whatever they might be!


They run Murray Grey cattle.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 10:44:30
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998969
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


captain_spalding said:

ABC News:

‘Farmers first and foremost, these gay graziers are breaking stereotypes’

An interesting and timely story, what withthe Sydney festival and all.

But some quirk of mine eyes keeps presentingthe words ‘gay graziers’ to me as ‘gray gaziers’. Whatever they might be!


They run Murray Grey cattle.

That one only has three legs.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 10:49:06
From: Tamb
ID: 1998971
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Tamb said:

captain_spalding said:

ABC News:

‘Farmers first and foremost, these gay graziers are breaking stereotypes’

An interesting and timely story, what withthe Sydney festival and all.

But some quirk of mine eyes keeps presentingthe words ‘gay graziers’ to me as ‘gray gaziers’. Whatever they might be!


They run Murray Grey cattle.

That one only has three legs.


Well you don’t want to eat a cow as good as that all at once.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 10:49:52
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998972
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


46 ml of rain. handy.

Had a dampening this end. I’m sure my shrubs are grateful.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 10:50:07
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998973
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Bubblecar said:

Tamb said:

They run Murray Grey cattle.

That one only has three legs.


Well you don’t want to eat a cow as good as that all at once.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 10:51:56
From: Woodie
ID: 1998976
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


46 ml of rain. handy.

Thems is good moolies. ☂☂

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 10:53:47
From: Michael V
ID: 1998981
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Bubblecar said:

Tamb said:

They run Murray Grey cattle.

That one only has three legs.


Well you don’t want to eat a cow as good as that all at once.

LOL

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 10:55:29
From: Michael V
ID: 1998984
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

bbl

Mrs V’s walk time.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 10:56:09
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998985
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Animal near here keeps meowing in an annoying voice.

But I think it’s actually a chook.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 10:57:10
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1998987
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Animal near here keeps meowing in an annoying voice.

But I think it’s actually a chook.

Whatever you do don’t adopt it.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 10:57:33
From: Tamb
ID: 1998988
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Animal near here keeps meowing in an annoying voice.

But I think it’s actually a chook.


That’s good. Chooks are edible.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 11:00:16
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998990
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I blame its parents for not making it write a hundred times:

I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow
I should cluck and not meow

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 11:04:07
From: dv
ID: 1998993
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Unit 731 was responsible for some of the most notorious war crimes committed by the Japanese armed forces. It routinely conducted tests on people who were dehumanized and internally referred to as “logs”. Experiments included disease injections, controlled dehydration, hypobaric chamber experiments, biological weapons testing, vivisection, amputation, and standard weapons testing. Victims included not only kidnapped men, women (including pregnant women) and children, but also babies born from the systemic rape perpetrated by the staff inside the compound. The victims came from different nationalities, with the majority being Chinese and a significant minority being Russian. Additionally, Unit 731 produced biological weapons that were used in areas of China not occupied by Japanese forces, which included Chinese cities and towns, water sources, and fields. Estimates of those killed by Unit 731 and its related programs range up to half a million people, and none of the inmates survived.

It was officially known as the Epidemic Prevention and Water Purification Department of the Kwantung Army (関東軍防疫給水部本部, Kantōgun Bōeki Kyūsuibu Honbu). Originally set up by the Kenpeitai military police of the Empire of Japan, Unit 731 was taken over and commanded until the end of the war by General Shirō Ishii, a combat medic officer in the Kwantung Army. The facility itself was built in 1935 as a replacement for the Zhongma Fortress, and Ishii and his team used it to expand their capabilities. The program received generous support from the Japanese government until the end of the war in 1945. Unit 731 and the other units of the Epidemic Prevention and Water Purification Department operated biological weapon production, testing, deployment, and storage facilities.

While Unit 731 researchers arrested by Soviet forces were tried at the December 1949 Khabarovsk war crime trials, those captured by the United States were secretly given immunity in exchange for the data gathered during their human experiments. The United States covered up the human experimentations and handed stipends to the perpetrators. The Americans co-opted the researchers’ bioweapons information and experience for use in their own biological warfare program, much like what had been done with Nazi German researchers in Operation Paperclip. On 28 August 2002, Tokyo District Court ruled that Japan had commited biological warfare in China and consequently had slaughtered many residents.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 11:13:06
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1998996
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

…actually if you listen carefully there are a few quiet clucks in there as well:

cluck, MEOW…cluck-cluck, MEOW…cluck, MEOW…cluck-cluck, MEOW

It’s the sort of sound some hens make when they’ve laid an egg, but in this case I think she’s having kittens.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 11:24:54
From: dv
ID: 1998999
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


…actually if you listen carefully there are a few quiet clucks in there as well:

cluck, MEOW…cluck-cluck, MEOW…cluck, MEOW…cluck-cluck, MEOW

It’s the sort of sound some hens make when they’ve laid an egg, but in this case I think she’s having kittens.

What kind of experiments have you been doing down on the farm?

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 11:30:53
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1999000
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Bubblecar said:

…actually if you listen carefully there are a few quiet clucks in there as well:

cluck, MEOW…cluck-cluck, MEOW…cluck, MEOW…cluck-cluck, MEOW

It’s the sort of sound some hens make when they’ve laid an egg, but in this case I think she’s having kittens.

What kind of experiments have you been doing down on the farm?

The Cottage of Doctor Moreau

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 11:33:26
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999001
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Tamb said:

captain_spalding said:

ABC News:

‘Farmers first and foremost, these gay graziers are breaking stereotypes’

An interesting and timely story, what withthe Sydney festival and all.

But some quirk of mine eyes keeps presentingthe words ‘gay graziers’ to me as ‘gray gaziers’. Whatever they might be!


They run Murray Grey cattle.

That one only has three legs.

Tres Crura Taurus

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 11:35:26
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999004
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Bubblecar said:

Animal near here keeps meowing in an annoying voice.

But I think it’s actually a chook.


That’s good. Chooks are edible.

Cats are edible, too. It’s just not so widely accepted.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 11:38:06
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1999005
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Tamb said:

Bubblecar said:

Animal near here keeps meowing in an annoying voice.

But I think it’s actually a chook.


That’s good. Chooks are edible.

Cats are edible, too. It’s just not so widely accepted.

MV has a few great recipes.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 11:40:45
From: Tamb
ID: 1999007
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Bubblecar said:

Tamb said:

They run Murray Grey cattle.

That one only has three legs.

Tres Crura Taurus


Curieux en effet

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 11:41:56
From: Tamb
ID: 1999008
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Tamb said:

Bubblecar said:

Animal near here keeps meowing in an annoying voice.

But I think it’s actually a chook.


That’s good. Chooks are edible.

Cats are edible, too. It’s just not so widely accepted.

Too astringent for my taste.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 11:44:14
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999009
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


captain_spalding said:

Bubblecar said:

That one only has three legs.

Tres Crura Taurus


Curieux en effet

Mais, non, pas ‘le taureau de trois jambes’, mais ‘Tres Crura Taurus’ (vous savez, latin).

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 11:47:10
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999010
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


captain_spalding said:

Tamb said:

That’s good. Chooks are edible.

Cats are edible, too. It’s just not so widely accepted.

Too astringent for my taste.

You should try adding pinches of bi-carb soda, and taste-test until the level is acceptable.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 11:47:57
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999012
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Do you think we need to start a separate ‘How to Cook Your Cat’ thread?

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 11:48:36
From: Tamb
ID: 1999013
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Tamb said:

captain_spalding said:

Tres Crura Taurus


Curieux en effet

Mais, non, pas ‘le taureau de trois jambes’, mais ‘Tres Crura Taurus’ (vous savez, latin).

Perhilum

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 11:49:27
From: party_pants
ID: 1999014
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Tamb said:

Bubblecar said:

Animal near here keeps meowing in an annoying voice.

But I think it’s actually a chook.


That’s good. Chooks are edible.

Cats are edible, too. It’s just not so widely accepted.

There’s a rule against eating carnivores (for land animals anyway). Accumulation of heavy metals and toxins and blah.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 11:49:51
From: Tamb
ID: 1999015
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Tamb said:

captain_spalding said:

Cats are edible, too. It’s just not so widely accepted.

Too astringent for my taste.

You should try adding pinches of bi-carb soda, and taste-test until the level is acceptable.

No thanks. I’ll leave it for the Lace monitors.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:02:19
From: dv
ID: 1999022
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Russian spacecraft on the way to rescue space crew stranded on ISS due to coolant leak

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-24/rocket-launched-to-rescue-stranded-space-crew/102020726

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:03:47
From: Michael V
ID: 1999023
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Bubblecar said:

Animal near here keeps meowing in an annoying voice.

But I think it’s actually a chook.


That’s good. Chooks are edible.

Cats are too, I understand.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:07:37
From: Michael V
ID: 1999026
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Unit 731 was responsible for some of the most notorious war crimes committed by the Japanese armed forces. It routinely conducted tests on people who were dehumanized and internally referred to as “logs”. Experiments included disease injections, controlled dehydration, hypobaric chamber experiments, biological weapons testing, vivisection, amputation, and standard weapons testing. Victims included not only kidnapped men, women (including pregnant women) and children, but also babies born from the systemic rape perpetrated by the staff inside the compound. The victims came from different nationalities, with the majority being Chinese and a significant minority being Russian. Additionally, Unit 731 produced biological weapons that were used in areas of China not occupied by Japanese forces, which included Chinese cities and towns, water sources, and fields. Estimates of those killed by Unit 731 and its related programs range up to half a million people, and none of the inmates survived.

It was officially known as the Epidemic Prevention and Water Purification Department of the Kwantung Army (関東軍防疫給水部本部, Kantōgun Bōeki Kyūsuibu Honbu). Originally set up by the Kenpeitai military police of the Empire of Japan, Unit 731 was taken over and commanded until the end of the war by General Shirō Ishii, a combat medic officer in the Kwantung Army. The facility itself was built in 1935 as a replacement for the Zhongma Fortress, and Ishii and his team used it to expand their capabilities. The program received generous support from the Japanese government until the end of the war in 1945. Unit 731 and the other units of the Epidemic Prevention and Water Purification Department operated biological weapon production, testing, deployment, and storage facilities.

While Unit 731 researchers arrested by Soviet forces were tried at the December 1949 Khabarovsk war crime trials, those captured by the United States were secretly given immunity in exchange for the data gathered during their human experiments. The United States covered up the human experimentations and handed stipends to the perpetrators. The Americans co-opted the researchers’ bioweapons information and experience for use in their own biological warfare program, much like what had been done with Nazi German researchers in Operation Paperclip. On 28 August 2002, Tokyo District Court ruled that Japan had commited biological warfare in China and consequently had slaughtered many residents.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

I didn’t know that. Ta.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:09:29
From: buffy
ID: 1999027
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’ve never seen a maggie that looked like this one photographed near Lilydale (Melbourne)

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:13:29
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999029
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I’ve never seen a maggie that looked like this one photographed near Lilydale (Melbourne)


That’s been mag-PIED.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:17:03
From: ms spock
ID: 1999032
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dia is Muire dhaoibh one and all!

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:19:16
From: transition
ID: 1999034
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I’ve never seen a maggie that looked like this one photographed near Lilydale (Melbourne)


Leucism

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-22/what-is-a-leucistic-magpie/10019352

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:20:01
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999035
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:

Russian spacecraft on the way to rescue space crew stranded on ISS due to coolant leak

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-24/rocket-launched-to-rescue-stranded-space-crew/102020726

can’t we just

Both NASA and Roscosmos believe last year’s leak on the MS-22 spacecraft was caused by a micro-meteoroid — a tiny particle of space rock — hitting the capsule at high velocity. A similar impact is also believed to have caused a separate leak this month on the cooling system of the Progress MS-21 cargo ship, taken out of orbit last week.

blame CHINA goddamnit

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:22:55
From: party_pants
ID: 1999036
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

Dia is Muire dhaoibh one and all!

You do realise that not everyone is keeping up with your level of progress on learning a new language, right?

Some of us didn’t even start :)

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:24:07
From: Michael V
ID: 1999039
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


captain_spalding said:

Tamb said:

That’s good. Chooks are edible.

Cats are edible, too. It’s just not so widely accepted.

MV has a few great recipes.

Feigns horror.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:26:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999040
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I’ve never seen a maggie that looked like this one photographed near Lilydale (Melbourne)


I wonder if the other magpies accept it as one of their own.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:27:17
From: Michael V
ID: 1999041
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


captain_spalding said:

Tamb said:

That’s good. Chooks are edible.

Cats are edible, too. It’s just not so widely accepted.

There’s a rule against eating carnivores (for land animals anyway). Accumulation of heavy metals and toxins and blah.

We should eat horse and camel meat. Help clear these feral pests.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:29:47
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1999044
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


buffy said:

I’ve never seen a maggie that looked like this one photographed near Lilydale (Melbourne)


I wonder if the other magpies accept it as one of their own.

Rudolph the Piebald Magpie.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:30:22
From: Michael V
ID: 1999045
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Tamb said:

Bubblecar said:

Animal near here keeps meowing in an annoying voice.

But I think it’s actually a chook.


That’s good. Chooks are edible.

Cats are too, I understand.

I see you’ve already dealt with this. Ignore me.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:31:58
From: Michael V
ID: 1999046
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I’ve never seen a maggie that looked like this one photographed near Lilydale (Melbourne)


There’s a special word for that condition. I forget what it is though.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:33:22
From: ms spock
ID: 1999047
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


ms spock said:

Dia is Muire dhaoibh one and all!

You do realise that not everyone is keeping up with your level of progress on learning a new language, right?

Some of us didn’t even start :)

:)

LOL

Oh Party_Pants Ta orm bron! (I am sorry!) I forgot to put the translation!

It means Hello!

It’s a really hard thing to learn. I am so lucky I met another woman who wants to study as much as I do so we do half an hour to an hour each day of the week studying. Except Friday I was sick.

I practiced my pronunciation for an hour before one class. I thought I had made great progress and my teacher said “I want to work on your pronunciation!” I couldn’t stop LOLing when my class finished!) He’s a hilarious gay guy from the states. I am meeting some most eccentric and entertaining characters!

They say the classes are to last an hour, but that is a guideline. Classes can go from 1 hour to 1 45 minutes. They are all free! Volunteers from around the world trying to share language and culture.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:33:24
From: Michael V
ID: 1999048
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


buffy said:

I’ve never seen a maggie that looked like this one photographed near Lilydale (Melbourne)


Leucism

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-22/what-is-a-leucistic-magpie/10019352

Thanks for that.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:43:32
From: Michael V
ID: 1999054
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


party_pants said:

captain_spalding said:

Cats are edible, too. It’s just not so widely accepted.

There’s a rule against eating carnivores (for land animals anyway). Accumulation of heavy metals and toxins and blah.

We should eat horse and camel meat. Help clear these feral pests.

And anyway p_p, it didn’t stop Koreans eating dogs.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:45:37
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999057
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:

Michael V said:

party_pants said:

There’s a rule against eating carnivores (for land animals anyway). Accumulation of heavy metals and toxins and blah.

We should eat horse and camel meat. Help clear these feral pests.

And anyway p_p, it didn’t stop Koreans eating dogs.

https://mawsonshuts.antarctica.gov.au/cape-denison/mawsons-fatal-journey/the-death-of-mertz/

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:50:17
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999059
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Museum of Artifacts
2 d ·
2,300-Year-Old Plush Bird from the Altai Mountains of Siberia (c.400-300 BCE): this artifact was crafted with a felt body and reindeer-fur stuffing, all of which remains intact

More: https://bio.link/museumofartifacts

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:52:17
From: Michael V
ID: 1999061
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

Michael V said:

Michael V said:

We should eat horse and camel meat. Help clear these feral pests.

And anyway p_p, it didn’t stop Koreans eating dogs.

https://mawsonshuts.antarctica.gov.au/cape-denison/mawsons-fatal-journey/the-death-of-mertz/

I’m not sure Korean recipes for dog include eating large amounts of liver.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:52:41
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999062
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Museum of Artifacts
2 d ·
2,300-Year-Old Plush Bird from the Altai Mountains of Siberia (c.400-300 BCE): this artifact was crafted with a felt body and reindeer-fur stuffing, all of which remains intact

More: https://bio.link/museumofartifacts

Remarkably fine condition.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 12:53:03
From: Michael V
ID: 1999063
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Museum of Artifacts
2 d ·
2,300-Year-Old Plush Bird from the Altai Mountains of Siberia (c.400-300 BCE): this artifact was crafted with a felt body and reindeer-fur stuffing, all of which remains intact

More: https://bio.link/museumofartifacts

Wow.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 13:05:02
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1999067
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


…actually if you listen carefully there are a few quiet clucks in there as well:

cluck, MEOW…cluck-cluck, MEOW…cluck, MEOW…cluck-cluck, MEOW

It’s the sort of sound some hens make when they’ve laid an egg, but in this case I think she’s having kittens.

Can you record it and put it up somewhere so we can hear it?

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 13:07:58
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999069
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


Bubblecar said:

…actually if you listen carefully there are a few quiet clucks in there as well:

cluck, MEOW…cluck-cluck, MEOW…cluck, MEOW…cluck-cluck, MEOW

It’s the sort of sound some hens make when they’ve laid an egg, but in this case I think she’s having kittens.

Can you record it and put it up somewhere so we can hear it?

:)

I could try but I don’t hear it often and it’s not very loud.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 13:09:37
From: party_pants
ID: 1999070
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Michael V said:

party_pants said:

There’s a rule against eating carnivores (for land animals anyway). Accumulation of heavy metals and toxins and blah.

We should eat horse and camel meat. Help clear these feral pests.

And anyway p_p, it didn’t stop Koreans eating dogs.

I am aware of that. But traditional customs don’t always align with current modern scientific thinking.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 13:13:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999073
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Michael V said:

Michael V said:

We should eat horse and camel meat. Help clear these feral pests.

And anyway p_p, it didn’t stop Koreans eating dogs.

I am aware of that. But traditional customs don’t always align with current modern scientific thinking.

Aussies eat these carnivores.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 13:17:39
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999075
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Just searched Coles online for it but:

Sorry no results have been found for ‘crocodile’

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 13:20:25
From: party_pants
ID: 1999076
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


party_pants said:

Michael V said:

And anyway p_p, it didn’t stop Koreans eating dogs.

I am aware of that. But traditional customs don’t always align with current modern scientific thinking.

Aussies eat these carnivores.

I don’t. I’d rather just eat the chicken.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 13:23:12
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999078
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Bubblecar said:

party_pants said:

I am aware of that. But traditional customs don’t always align with current modern scientific thinking.

Aussies eat these carnivores.

I don’t. I’d rather just eat the chicken.

Chickens eat worms and beetles etc.

And they’ll even eat chicken if you feed it to them.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 13:26:52
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999079
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


party_pants said:

Bubblecar said:

Aussies eat these carnivores.

I don’t. I’d rather just eat the chicken.

Chickens eat worms and beetles etc.

And they’ll even eat chicken if you feed it to them.

I’m sure they’d also eat dog, cat, horse, camel and crocodile if you fed it to them.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 13:28:49
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1999080
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A couple of days … 900-odd posts (some of them very odd, very much in keeping with this forum) and we’ll crack the two millionth post!

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 13:29:17
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999081
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:

party_pants said:

Bubblecar said:

Aussies eat these carnivores.

I don’t. I’d rather just eat the chicken.

Chickens eat worms and beetles etc.

And they’ll even eat chicken if you feed it to them.

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/animal-health-literacy/all-about-bse-mad-cow-disease

The parts of a cow that are not eaten by people are cooked, dried, and ground into a powder. The powder is then used for a variety of purposes, including as an ingredient in animal feed. A cow gets BSE by eating feed contaminated with parts that came from another cow that was sick with BSE.

mmmm

oooooo

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 13:29:52
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999082
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:

A couple of days … 900-odd posts (some of them very odd, very much in keeping with this forum) and we’ll crack the two millionth post!

well hurry up, could even be today when everyone catches the wind

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 13:30:44
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999083
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

AussieDJ said:

A couple of days … 900-odd posts (some of them very odd, very much in keeping with this forum) and we’ll crack the two millionth post!

well hurry up, could even be today when everyone catches the wind

anyway, we already know what it’s going to be

https://tokyo3.org/forums/holiday/posts/2000000/

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 13:36:13
From: party_pants
ID: 1999084
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

party_pants said:

I don’t. I’d rather just eat the chicken.

Chickens eat worms and beetles etc.

And they’ll even eat chicken if you feed it to them.

I’m sure they’d also eat dog, cat, horse, camel and crocodile if you fed it to them.

They are omnivores. They don’t hunt and eat prey as their primary survival strategy. Also they are not mammals. The rule applies mostly to land animals that are exclusively carnivores, with the prey being predominantly mammals (or marsupials). I’d stick crocodiles int here, with maybe an exception for those that eat only fish.

I would also apply it to large fish and sharks that are long lived and at the top of the food chain, like large sharks and game fish like marlins etc. Nothing larger than a tuna.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 13:43:06
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1999085
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


A couple of days … 900-odd posts (some of them very odd, very much in keeping with this forum) and we’ll crack the two millionth post!

How dare you preempt my joyous invocations!

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 13:44:28
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999086
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Chickens eat worms and beetles etc.

And they’ll even eat chicken if you feed it to them.

I’m sure they’d also eat dog, cat, horse, camel and crocodile if you fed it to them.

They are omnivores. They don’t hunt and eat prey as their primary survival strategy. Also they are not mammals. The rule applies mostly to land animals that are exclusively carnivores, with the prey being predominantly mammals (or marsupials). I’d stick crocodiles int here, with maybe an exception for those that eat only fish.

I would also apply it to large fish and sharks that are long lived and at the top of the food chain, like large sharks and game fish like marlins etc. Nothing larger than a tuna.

…and bears, even though they’re omnivores. Apparently the flavour of bear meat is very fickle:

>Flavor Russian roulette. Bears are omnivores, so their meat tends to taste like their last meal. That’s fine if they last dined on berries. But if they’ve been eating, say, salmon, their fat will become infused with fishy flavor. “When you cook it,” Shaw says, “it’s going to be like low tide on a hot day.” Ick.

Also:

>Bear meat can make you very sick. As omnivores, bears often carry the larvae of a nasty parasite, Trichina spiralis. Eating undercooked bear meat can cause trichinosis, which can cause severe sickness or even death in humans. That’s why bear is most often cooked in stews, chilis, braises, or in well-cooked sausage. Skip the medium-rare bear steak.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/11/13/363793521/why-the-invasivores-havent-pounced-on-bear-meat

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 13:51:04
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1999088
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


AussieDJ said:

A couple of days … 900-odd posts (some of them very odd, very much in keeping with this forum) and we’ll crack the two millionth post!

How dare you preempt my joyous invocations!

My abject apologies! I shall prostrate myself before my computer screen as the joyous moment approaches.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 14:03:32
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1999090
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

1949 Delahaye Type 175 Roadster

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 14:14:47
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999094
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


1949 Delahaye Type 175 Roadster


The Brewster Ford. A 1934 Brewster Towne car and a 1935 roadster. Brewster was a luxury coach builder founded in Connecticut in 1810 as a high end luxury carriage builder. They later produced luxury automobiles including Rolls Royce. In the 30’s depression, they tried making affordable luxury coaches using Ford chassis. With a price of approximately $3,500, the Brewsters were more affordable than any Rolls-Royce but still too expensive for most people and the company ended at public auction in 1937.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 14:35:40
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1999097
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

2 million.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 14:35:59
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1999098
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

who will crack it?

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 14:36:19
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1999099
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

LOL. race is on.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 14:37:16
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1999100
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

900 to go. can i do it?

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 14:37:25
From: kii
ID: 1999101
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Life is weird without my little shadow.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 14:37:52
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999102
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News:

‘‘I’ve never seen anything like that’: Tasmania celebrates after South Australia implodes in WNCL final
Needing only four runs to win with five wickets in hand at the beginning of the final over, South Australia falls apart as Tasmania clinches a second consecutive WNCL title.’

Did anyone see this?

Was it a genuine collapse of stout party, or did they throw the game?

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 14:39:59
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999103
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Life is weird without my little shadow.

i’m sorry that there is bonus grief in your life. when you get home please find the right doggo to bring you some smiles.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 14:42:21
From: transition
ID: 1999105
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

more spring rolls than I can eat

help yaself

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 14:43:29
From: kii
ID: 1999106
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


kii said:

Life is weird without my little shadow.

i’m sorry that there is bonus grief in your life. when you get home please find the right doggo to bring you some smiles.

I don’t think I can do this again, lose my heart to a dog.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 14:53:21
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999108
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


sarahs mum said:

kii said:

Life is weird without my little shadow.

i’m sorry that there is bonus grief in your life. when you get home please find the right doggo to bring you some smiles.

I don’t think I can do this again, lose my heart to a dog.

it’s the right thing to do. it will lose it’s heart to you too.

Or you could take paisley. :) (not really serious)

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 14:56:31
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999111
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:

I don’t think I can do this again, lose my heart to a dog.

kii, you’ve been through more grief than possibly i can imagine, and i’m not trying for one second to minimise that.

But, the thing about grief is that it’s survivable. We can accommodate it in our lives.

It can be deep, shattering grief, and it may never go away altogether, but we make a space for it in our lives, and we go on.

We go into so many things in life, aware that there may well be, or even definitely will be, grief at the end of them.

But if we didn’t do that, then we’d forego all of the joy that precedes it.

Will you say ‘no’ to the joy, and let the grief win even before the adventure has started?

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 15:03:45
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999113
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

facebook tells me that Cobbett is 12 years ago today. He’s looking pretty good. his eyes are a bit hazy but there isn’t much grey.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 15:05:12
From: kii
ID: 1999114
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


kii said:

I don’t think I can do this again, lose my heart to a dog.

kii, you’ve been through more grief than possibly i can imagine, and i’m not trying for one second to minimise that.

But, the thing about grief is that it’s survivable. We can accommodate it in our lives.

It can be deep, shattering grief, and it may never go away altogether, but we make a space for it in our lives, and we go on.

We go into so many things in life, aware that there may well be, or even definitely will be, grief at the end of them.

But if we didn’t do that, then we’d forego all of the joy that precedes it.

Will you say ‘no’ to the joy, and let the grief win even before the adventure has started?

Thanks, captain. You’re right. It’s just so exhausting
Right now the cat known as Sally is reminding me it’s time for her to go to bed. Such a stickler for routine.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 15:08:08
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999116
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


captain_spalding said:

kii said:

I don’t think I can do this again, lose my heart to a dog.

kii, you’ve been through more grief than possibly i can imagine, and i’m not trying for one second to minimise that.

But, the thing about grief is that it’s survivable. We can accommodate it in our lives.

It can be deep, shattering grief, and it may never go away altogether, but we make a space for it in our lives, and we go on.

We go into so many things in life, aware that there may well be, or even definitely will be, grief at the end of them.

But if we didn’t do that, then we’d forego all of the joy that precedes it.

Will you say ‘no’ to the joy, and let the grief win even before the adventure has started?

Thanks, captain. You’re right. It’s just so exhausting
Right now the cat known as Sally is reminding me it’s time for her to go to bed. Such a stickler for routine.

Get some sleep, kii. I hope that it’s a good, restful sleep. No matter where you are in the world, whether you like it there or not, every new day brings a chance that it will be better than yesterday.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 15:46:29
From: buffy
ID: 1999120
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Life is weird without my little shadow.

Have you dreamt about her yet? I recall doing that with Duke. In the dream (and I don’t remember dreams well, but this one is over 30 years old and I can still picture one scene), I opened the side door of the house (it was the one we were living in at the time) and Duke was standing there wanting to come in. I suppose you could read things into that.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 15:48:42
From: buffy
ID: 1999121
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


facebook tells me that Cobbett is 12 years ago today. He’s looking pretty good. his eyes are a bit hazy but there isn’t much grey.

Hei Long has all the grey for him. I think we may have a white Pug before the end. He’s still pretty sprightly for a 10 year old Pug.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 16:16:14
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999125
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


sarahs mum said:

facebook tells me that Cobbett is 12 years ago today. He’s looking pretty good. his eyes are a bit hazy but there isn’t much grey.

Hei Long has all the grey for him. I think we may have a white Pug before the end. He’s still pretty sprightly for a 10 year old Pug.

what’s the expectancy of a pug? I think it’s 12.5 for a springer but poppy lived till she was 16 and barklee was 13 when he had the run in with the tiger snake.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 16:26:52
From: buffy
ID: 1999127
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


buffy said:

sarahs mum said:

facebook tells me that Cobbett is 12 years ago today. He’s looking pretty good. his eyes are a bit hazy but there isn’t much grey.

Hei Long has all the grey for him. I think we may have a white Pug before the end. He’s still pretty sprightly for a 10 year old Pug.

what’s the expectancy of a pug? I think it’s 12.5 for a springer but poppy lived till she was 16 and barklee was 13 when he had the run in with the tiger snake.

Pugs do about 10 years. It’s the brachycephalic thing apparently because usually small dogs live longer. But also people tend to let Pugs get fat. I know PWM thinks Hei Long is fat. But really, he’s just one of those really squat, square bricklike personages. Having to run around with a Boxer/personal trainer keeps him fit and muscled. I know what a fat Pug looks like, because Mum’s Pugs used to come to stay with us. And we trimmed them down while they were at the “Health Farm”.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 16:29:35
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999128
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


sarahs mum said:

buffy said:

Hei Long has all the grey for him. I think we may have a white Pug before the end. He’s still pretty sprightly for a 10 year old Pug.

what’s the expectancy of a pug? I think it’s 12.5 for a springer but poppy lived till she was 16 and barklee was 13 when he had the run in with the tiger snake.

Pugs do about 10 years. It’s the brachycephalic thing apparently because usually small dogs live longer. But also people tend to let Pugs get fat. I know PWM thinks Hei Long is fat. But really, he’s just one of those really squat, square bricklike personages. Having to run around with a Boxer/personal trainer keeps him fit and muscled. I know what a fat Pug looks like, because Mum’s Pugs used to come to stay with us. And we trimmed them down while they were at the “Health Farm”.

here’s to a healthy hei long.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 16:31:04
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999129
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


sarahs mum said:

facebook tells me that Cobbett is 12 years ago today. He’s looking pretty good. his eyes are a bit hazy but there isn’t much grey.

Hei Long has all the grey for him. I think we may have a white Pug before the end. He’s still pretty sprightly for a 10 year old Pug.

WHAT?

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 16:55:42
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999132
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m going try out cloves as a mice repellent. Put a little saucer of ground cloves here and there.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 17:00:21
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999133
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“South Australia appeared on the verge of claiming victory when it needed just four runs to win – with five wickets in hand – at the beginning of the final over at Bellerive Oval.”

They were bowled out in the final over.
Dear oh dear.
Sibeen would have been all over this.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 17:02:08
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999134
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


“South Australia appeared on the verge of claiming victory when it needed just four runs to win – with five wickets in hand – at the beginning of the final over at Bellerive Oval.”

They were bowled out in the final over.
Dear oh dear.
Sibeen would have been all over this.

This was the final of the womans one day cup.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 17:03:17
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999135
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


I’m going try out cloves as a mice repellent. Put a little saucer of ground cloves here and there.

I’ve put one in an empty kitchen cupboard they seem to frequent, one on a counter near the toaster and one on the pooter desk in here, since I’ve found a couple of poos on it in recent days.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 17:04:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999136
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

I’m going try out cloves as a mice repellent. Put a little saucer of ground cloves here and there.

I’ve put one in an empty kitchen cupboard they seem to frequent, one on a counter near the toaster and one on the pooter desk in here, since I’ve found a couple of poos on it in recent days.

Just keep it out of the way of the fan or the powdered cloves will be blown everywhere.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 17:23:32
From: buffy
ID: 1999137
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m making sausage rolls for tea. To eat with roast potato (roadside stall) + parsnip (my garden) + steamed carrots (my garden) + beans (supermarket) + corn (my garden). I could have used my own potatoes, but the roadside ones are sprouting, so need to be eaten to “save their lives”.

Note for MV…It’s Death in Paradise night.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 17:45:05
From: Michael V
ID: 1999139
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I’m making sausage rolls for tea. To eat with roast potato (roadside stall) + parsnip (my garden) + steamed carrots (my garden) + beans (supermarket) + corn (my garden). I could have used my own potatoes, but the roadside ones are sprouting, so need to be eaten to “save their lives”.

Note for MV…It’s Death in Paradise night.

Ta. I’ll most probably miss it. We are going to small birthday dinner for one of Mrs V’s friends at the Surf Club starting at 6pm.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 17:51:07
From: buffy
ID: 1999140
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


buffy said:

I’m making sausage rolls for tea. To eat with roast potato (roadside stall) + parsnip (my garden) + steamed carrots (my garden) + beans (supermarket) + corn (my garden). I could have used my own potatoes, but the roadside ones are sprouting, so need to be eaten to “save their lives”.

Note for MV…It’s Death in Paradise night.

Ta. I’ll most probably miss it. We are going to small birthday dinner for one of Mrs V’s friends at the Surf Club starting at 6pm.

iView is a wonderful invention.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 17:51:57
From: Michael V
ID: 1999141
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Ouch!

I just had a large March Fly bite me on my foot near my excision wound. It’s dead now, but has left me bleeding.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 17:53:11
From: Michael V
ID: 1999142
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Michael V said:

buffy said:

I’m making sausage rolls for tea. To eat with roast potato (roadside stall) + parsnip (my garden) + steamed carrots (my garden) + beans (supermarket) + corn (my garden). I could have used my own potatoes, but the roadside ones are sprouting, so need to be eaten to “save their lives”.

Note for MV…It’s Death in Paradise night.

Ta. I’ll most probably miss it. We are going to small birthday dinner for one of Mrs V’s friends at the Surf Club starting at 6pm.

iView is a wonderful invention.

:)

Yes it is.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 18:06:48
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999144
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Crickets in fine voice out there after some more afternoon rain.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 18:11:42
From: buffy
ID: 1999146
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Crickets in fine voice out there after some more afternoon rain.

They are pretty noisy here too. They were yesterday also. We’ve also got a couple of raucous sulphur crested cockies screeching about the place the last hour or so.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 18:15:02
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1999147
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Michael V said:

buffy said:

I’m making sausage rolls for tea. To eat with roast potato (roadside stall) + parsnip (my garden) + steamed carrots (my garden) + beans (supermarket) + corn (my garden). I could have used my own potatoes, but the roadside ones are sprouting, so need to be eaten to “save their lives”.

Note for MV…It’s Death in Paradise night.

Ta. I’ll most probably miss it. We are going to small birthday dinner for one of Mrs V’s friends at the Surf Club starting at 6pm.

iView is a wonderful invention.

:)

That it is. I’ll be using it later this evening for the same program, too.

Thanks for the reminder.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 19:48:02
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999155
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News:

Vladimir Putin tells state television the US-led military alliance in Ukraine seeks defeat, liquidation of Russia

‘The West, he said, wanted to liquidate Russia.

“They have one goal: to disband the former Soviet Union and its fundamental part — the Russian Federation,” Mr Putin said, according to TASS.’

Hey, i thought that that Gorbachev, Yeltsin, and a bunch of other ‘Sovietniks’ did that some thirty years ago?!

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 19:56:03
From: Kingy
ID: 1999158
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Oooooh, there was a house fire here in Dunsborough earlier this arvo, I was just contacted by a local whose car was hit by a FRS truck on the way out of the station. He has offered to return the part of the truck that is stuck in his car in exchange for some insurance details.

Lol, that’s a carton.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:06:43
From: becklefreckle
ID: 1999163
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


buffy said:

Michael V said:

Ta. I’ll most probably miss it. We are going to small birthday dinner for one of Mrs V’s friends at the Surf Club starting at 6pm.

iView is a wonderful invention.

:)

That it is. I’ll be using it later this evening for the same program, too.

Thanks for the reminder.

When I’m travelling for work (like I am right now) Death in Paradise is my go-to comfort viewing. Light hearted murder ;-). That and QI.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:09:40
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999165
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Museum of Artifacts
16 February at 16:58 ·
Elaborate Ottoman-era birdhouses resembling miniature palaces and mosques, Turkey.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:10:38
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999166
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Museum of Artifacts
16 February at 16:58 ·
Elaborate Ottoman-era birdhouses resembling miniature palaces and mosques, Turkey.

Do the birds have to wash in the birdbath before entering the mosques?

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:12:15
From: becklefreckle
ID: 1999167
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Museum of Artifacts
16 February at 16:58 ·
Elaborate Ottoman-era birdhouses resembling miniature palaces and mosques, Turkey.

So cool! I’ll be building some bat and possum nests soon. I’m gonna have to take some inspiration from this, instead of just making plain boxes.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:17:18
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999168
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


sarahs mum said:

Museum of Artifacts
16 February at 16:58 ·
Elaborate Ottoman-era birdhouses resembling miniature palaces and mosques, Turkey.

Do the birds have to wash in the birdbath before entering the mosques?

Writing that made me think of when me and Mrs S visited the Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque in Brunei:

I was fortunate to have had Muslim work colleagues who had explained the pre-visit cleansing ritual of wudu to me. We washed our hands, arms, faces, and feet before presenting ourselves at the door. They made us wear smock-like ‘covers, because we were both in shorts and t-shirts, and Mrs S had to cover the top of her head, but we were most welcome.

And one of the attendants said to me that he’d seen us wash, and that it was really appeciated.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:18:02
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999169
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

oops, screwed up there, here’s a pic of the mosque:

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:19:14
From: LPlaterfoghlaimeoirGaeilge
ID: 1999172
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Irish classes were attended successfully today. Lots of mistakes and mispronunciations took place as is right for a beginner!

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:24:00
From: LPlaterfoghlaimeoirGaeilge
ID: 1999176
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

LPlaterfoghlaimeoirGaeilge said:

Irish classes were attended successfully today. Lots of mistakes and mispronunciations took place as is right for a beginner!

All the classes are free world wide. It is so generous of folks to share their time and skills.

Also great music with lyrics in both languages.

Ócum an Phríosúin – LYRICS + Translation

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:24:54
From: ms spock
ID: 1999177
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

becklefreckle said:


sarahs mum said:

Museum of Artifacts
16 February at 16:58 ·
Elaborate Ottoman-era birdhouses resembling miniature palaces and mosques, Turkey.

So cool! I’ll be building some bat and possum nests soon. I’m gonna have to take some inspiration from this, instead of just making plain boxes.

***waves to bec***

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:31:28
From: becklefreckle
ID: 1999180
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Hi Spocky!

I’m in “the Fitz” – fitzgerald river national park:

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:34:16
From: LPlaterfoghlaimeoirGaeilge
ID: 1999182
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

becklefreckle said:


Hi Spocky!

I’m in “the Fitz” – fitzgerald river national park:

Go hiontach! (Impressive!)

Wow! What are you doing there? Some type of field study?

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:34:52
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999183
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

becklefreckle said:


Hi Spocky!

I’m in “the Fitz” – fitzgerald river national park:

that top plant is a bit weird.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:37:36
From: Kingy
ID: 1999185
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

becklefreckle said:


Hi Spocky!

I’m in “the Fitz” – fitzgerald river national park:

Watch out for falling aeroplanes.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:37:43
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1999186
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

becklefreckle said:


Hi Spocky!

I’m in “the Fitz” – fitzgerald river national park:

You lucky barstool!

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:37:53
From: becklefreckle
ID: 1999187
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


that top plant is a bit weird.

It’s a royal victoria hakea. Very cool – used to be widespread along the whole south coast here but now fairly limited. I shall grow plenty on my new block :-)

To the gaelic fella (do I know you by another name?) I’m doing condition inspections of the facitilies here; lookout platforms, bridges etc.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:39:10
From: LPlaterfoghlaimeoirGaeilge
ID: 1999189
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

becklefreckle said:


sarahs mum said:

that top plant is a bit weird.

It’s a royal victoria hakea. Very cool – used to be widespread along the whole south coast here but now fairly limited. I shall grow plenty on my new block :-)

To the gaelic fella (do I know you by another name?) I’m doing condition inspections of the facitilies here; lookout platforms, bridges etc.

Gaelic fella is ms spock…

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:45:03
From: becklefreckle
ID: 1999192
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


Watch out for falling aeroplanes.

Luckily the fires are all under control now, just some blacking out happening. The plane is being salvaged from the other end of the park as we speak.
The only thing in the sky today were birds and hangliders.

“Gaelic fella is ms spock…”
Cool! Congratulations on your new skill. Ich habe ein bisschen of Deutsch gelernt. Aber nicht sehr gut.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:51:27
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1999193
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

My learnin for today:

The second biggest seller of popular music albums is:

Garth Brooks

of whom I had not heard before today.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 20:59:55
From: ms spock
ID: 1999196
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

becklefreckle said:


Kingy said:

Watch out for falling aeroplanes.

Luckily the fires are all under control now, just some blacking out happening. The plane is being salvaged from the other end of the park as we speak.
The only thing in the sky today were birds and hangliders.

“Gaelic fella is ms spock…”
Cool! Congratulations on your new skill. Ich habe ein bisschen of Deutsch gelernt. Aber nicht sehr gut.

Ich habe auch ein bisschen Deutsch gelernt!

Ich auch! (Me too!)

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 21:00:54
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999198
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Rev Dodgson said:


My learnin for today:

The second biggest seller of popular music albums is:

Garth Brooks

of whom I had not heard before today.

you ain’t been missing much imo.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 21:01:37
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999199
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

My learnin for today:

The second biggest seller of popular music albums is:

Garth Brooks

of whom I had not heard before today.

you ain’t been missing much imo.

and I like country music.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 21:21:40
From: becklefreckle
ID: 1999205
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


The Rev Dodgson said:

My learnin for today:

The second biggest seller of popular music albums is:

Garth Brooks

of whom I had not heard before today.

you ain’t been missing much imo.

He seems like a top bloke. For a country singer.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 22:07:15
From: buffy
ID: 1999208
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

becklefreckle said:


sarahs mum said:

Museum of Artifacts
16 February at 16:58 ·
Elaborate Ottoman-era birdhouses resembling miniature palaces and mosques, Turkey.

So cool! I’ll be building some bat and possum nests soon. I’m gonna have to take some inspiration from this, instead of just making plain boxes.

Well, at least some elaborate ladder construction on the bat nests, anyway…

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 22:52:25
From: transition
ID: 1999214
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I made my own coffee

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 23:03:47
From: party_pants
ID: 1999215
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I was just thinking about having a decaf.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 23:10:33
From: transition
ID: 1999216
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


I was just thinking about having a decaf.

do’t, then you can come back and tell me the highlights of your day

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 23:22:00
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999218
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


party_pants said:

I was just thinking about having a decaf.

do’t, then you can come back and tell me the highlights of your day

Highlight of my day was vacuuming up a few mouse poos and distributing some saucers of cloves to deter them.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 23:28:10
From: party_pants
ID: 1999220
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


party_pants said:

I was just thinking about having a decaf.

do’t, then you can come back and tell me the highlights of your day

It was my sister’s birthday. We had a gathering at her place. I brought cake and biscuits. I et too many, and drank coffee.

I got stuck in a traffic jam on the way there because of roadworks (they weren’t even working, just lanes blocked off choking traffic). I went a different way home without incident.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 23:31:59
From: transition
ID: 1999221
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


transition said:

party_pants said:

I was just thinking about having a decaf.

do’t, then you can come back and tell me the highlights of your day

Highlight of my day was vacuuming up a few mouse poos and distributing some saucers of cloves to deter them.

that work does’t, cloves

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 23:36:17
From: transition
ID: 1999223
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


transition said:

party_pants said:

I was just thinking about having a decaf.

do’t, then you can come back and tell me the highlights of your day

It was my sister’s birthday. We had a gathering at her place. I brought cake and biscuits. I et too many, and drank coffee.

I got stuck in a traffic jam on the way there because of roadworks (they weren’t even working, just lanes blocked off choking traffic). I went a different way home without incident.

do that into town here too, takes a special effort to stay to the speed limit not a workman in sight, but I do, i’m a good citizen

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 23:36:48
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999224
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


Bubblecar said:

transition said:

do’t, then you can come back and tell me the highlights of your day

Highlight of my day was vacuuming up a few mouse poos and distributing some saucers of cloves to deter them.

that work does’t, cloves

Lots of people on the internets say so, but I’ll soon find out.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 23:44:47
From: transition
ID: 1999225
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


transition said:

Bubblecar said:

Highlight of my day was vacuuming up a few mouse poos and distributing some saucers of cloves to deter them.

that work does’t, cloves

Lots of people on the internets say so, but I’ll soon find out.

bet the ones with toothache get into it

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 23:52:19
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999226
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


transition said:

Bubblecar said:

Highlight of my day was vacuuming up a few mouse poos and distributing some saucers of cloves to deter them.

that work does’t, cloves

Lots of people on the internets say so, but I’ll soon find out.

Lots of people believe a lot of rubbish.

Nothing deters rodents. Some things kill them but nothing deters them.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/02/2023 23:54:01
From: transition
ID: 1999227
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

transition said:

that work does’t, cloves

Lots of people on the internets say so, but I’ll soon find out.

Lots of people believe a lot of rubbish.

Nothing deters rodents. Some things kill them but nothing deters them.

how’s master rb today, quiet one or what..

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 00:08:09
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999239
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

becklefreckle said:


Kingy said:

Watch out for falling aeroplanes.

Luckily the fires are all under control now, just some blacking out happening. The plane is being salvaged from the other end of the park as we speak.
The only thing in the sky today were birds and hangliders.

“Gaelic fella is ms spock…”
Cool! Congratulations on your new skill. Ich habe ein bisschen of Deutsch gelernt. Aber nicht sehr gut.

daughter in the Barrens NP.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 00:10:57
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999241
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

Lots of people on the internets say so, but I’ll soon find out.

Lots of people believe a lot of rubbish.

Nothing deters rodents. Some things kill them but nothing deters them.

how’s master rb today, quiet one or what..

Very quiet one. I do a lot of lying down to take the gravity of the situation out of play.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 00:23:07
From: transition
ID: 1999253
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


transition said:

roughbarked said:

Lots of people believe a lot of rubbish.

Nothing deters rodents. Some things kill them but nothing deters them.

how’s master rb today, quiet one or what..

Very quiet one. I do a lot of lying down to take the gravity of the situation out of play.

that’s the way, me too

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 00:24:56
From: dv
ID: 1999257
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Creag an tuire! was a battle cry used by Jamie McCrimmon, particularly when facing adversaries in his native Scotland. However, he sometimes yelled it out when coming up against a particularly difficult opponent, regardless of the location.
The phrase is often misunderstood by viewers and professional closed captioners alike. In the captions to The Enemy of the World, the phrase is rendered “Brigadoon!” Some fans have believed the phrase to be “Creag an tuirc!” — but that’s the battle cry of another clan (The Cry means “The Boars Rock” of Clan MacLaren.) The McCrimmon Clan are pipers to the chiefs of Clan MacLeod.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 00:26:17
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999259
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


roughbarked said:

transition said:

how’s master rb today, quiet one or what..

Very quiet one. I do a lot of lying down to take the gravity of the situation out of play.

that’s the way, me too

Off again in the morning to have them stick more needles in my neck.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 00:28:20
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999261
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Creag an tuire! was a battle cry used by Jamie McCrimmon, particularly when facing adversaries in his native Scotland. However, he sometimes yelled it out when coming up against a particularly difficult opponent, regardless of the location.
The phrase is often misunderstood by viewers and professional closed captioners alike. In the captions to The Enemy of the World, the phrase is rendered “Brigadoon!” Some fans have believed the phrase to be “Creag an tuirc!” — but that’s the battle cry of another clan (The Cry means “The Boars Rock” of Clan MacLaren.) The McCrimmon Clan are pipers to the chiefs of Clan MacLeod.

Have you ever listened to: Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In a Cave With a Pict?

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 00:38:23
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999266
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Creag an tuire! was a battle cry used by Jamie McCrimmon, particularly when facing adversaries in his native Scotland. However, he sometimes yelled it out when coming up against a particularly difficult opponent, regardless of the location.
The phrase is often misunderstood by viewers and professional closed captioners alike. In the captions to The Enemy of the World, the phrase is rendered “Brigadoon!” Some fans have believed the phrase to be “Creag an tuirc!” — but that’s the battle cry of another clan (The Cry means “The Boars Rock” of Clan MacLaren.) The McCrimmon Clan are pipers to the chiefs of Clan MacLeod.

Still haven’t ordered the reassembled Enemy of the World. I’ll do it shortly.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 00:47:58
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999276
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

How are the cloves going? Any been eaten by the mice yet?

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 00:48:58
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999277
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

phoodle won’t load for me tonight.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 00:52:10
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999279
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The creator of the Dilbert comic strip faces a backlash of cancellations, while defending remarks describing people who are black as members of “a hate group” from which white people should “get away.”

Not sure why but I never did grok Dilbert.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 00:54:44
From: dv
ID: 1999280
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


The creator of the Dilbert comic strip faces a backlash of cancellations, while defending remarks describing people who are black as members of “a hate group” from which white people should “get away.”

Not sure why but I never did grok Dilbert.

Adams went full Qanon a few years ago. At first I thought it was just a piece of meta-humour, like performance art. But no.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 00:55:54
From: dv
ID: 1999281
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Pedro Pascal’s cousin was the great-nephew of Salvador Allende.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:00:55
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999282
Subject: re: Chat February 2023


London Female telephone operators gargling with desinfactant. Protective action of the public authorities to defend influenza. 1933

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:01:03
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1999283
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


phoodle won’t load for me tonight.

The Car noted it in the Phoodle thread a few posts ago.

Is Phoodle a NY Times game? Since I deleted the cookies in this computer earlier today, I can’t log back into any of the NY Times games I usually play.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:02:23
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999284
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


roughbarked said:

The creator of the Dilbert comic strip faces a backlash of cancellations, while defending remarks describing people who are black as members of “a hate group” from which white people should “get away.”

Not sure why but I never did grok Dilbert.

Adams went full Qanon a few years ago. At first I thought it was just a piece of meta-humour, like performance art. But no.

Another nutcase.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:04:08
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999285
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


sarahs mum said:

phoodle won’t load for me tonight.

The Car noted it in the Phoodle thread a few posts ago.

Is Phoodle a NY Times game? Since I deleted the cookies in this computer earlier today, I can’t log back into any of the NY Times games I usually play.

So are all these things from overseas newspapers?

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:04:31
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1999286
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



London Female telephone operators gargling with desinfactant. Protective action of the public authorities to defend influenza. 1933

At the third gargle, it will be three oh five, precisely. (A bit hard to read the clock on the far wall.)

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:05:01
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1999287
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


AussieDJ said:

sarahs mum said:

phoodle won’t load for me tonight.

The Car noted it in the Phoodle thread a few posts ago.

Is Phoodle a NY Times game? Since I deleted the cookies in this computer earlier today, I can’t log back into any of the NY Times games I usually play.

So are all these things from overseas newspapers?

Sadly, yes.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:06:46
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999288
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


roughbarked said:

AussieDJ said:

The Car noted it in the Phoodle thread a few posts ago.

Is Phoodle a NY Times game? Since I deleted the cookies in this computer earlier today, I can’t log back into any of the NY Times games I usually play.

So are all these things from overseas newspapers?

Sadly, yes.

I prefer my David Astle crosswords.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:17:29
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999291
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


AussieDJ said:

sarahs mum said:

phoodle won’t load for me tonight.

The Car noted it in the Phoodle thread a few posts ago.

Is Phoodle a NY Times game? Since I deleted the cookies in this computer earlier today, I can’t log back into any of the NY Times games I usually play.

So are all these things from overseas newspapers?

invented by the common people and sold to larger concerns.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:18:26
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999292
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


sarahs mum said:

phoodle won’t load for me tonight.

The Car noted it in the Phoodle thread a few posts ago.

Is Phoodle a NY Times game? Since I deleted the cookies in this computer earlier today, I can’t log back into any of the NY Times games I usually play.

not loading in edge either.

I’m going to just pretend that the answer was leeks and be happy.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:19:18
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999293
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


AussieDJ said:

sarahs mum said:

phoodle won’t load for me tonight.

The Car noted it in the Phoodle thread a few posts ago.

Is Phoodle a NY Times game? Since I deleted the cookies in this computer earlier today, I can’t log back into any of the NY Times games I usually play.

not loading in edge either.

I’m going to just pretend that the answer was leeks and be happy.

It looked good to me.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:29:45
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999294
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

i remember in the 2004 trip Scotland there was a field (later I found out that it was the site of the battle of Prestopans) that was full of leeks about hip height and the size of a forearm in girth. and i remember thinking how Grandmother would have felt going from that soil to the hawkesbury sandstone rock shelf they purchased in Aus. They did make a lot of compost and it was a good veg garden, but what they left was pretty magic The myth of the highlands doesn’t allow for how fertile parts of the lowlands are.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:33:54
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999295
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


i remember in the 2004 trip Scotland there was a field (later I found out that it was the site of the battle of Prestopans) that was full of leeks about hip height and the size of a forearm in girth. and i remember thinking how Grandmother would have felt going from that soil to the hawkesbury sandstone rock shelf they purchased in Aus. They did make a lot of compost and it was a good veg garden, but what they left was pretty magic The myth of the highlands doesn’t allow for how fertile parts of the lowlands are.

The highlands are often stripped bare of a humus layer.

Why humans do this to the lowlands has always been a sore point with me.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:37:54
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999296
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

the lowlands are a food basket. even if it is mostly potatoes, leeks and turnips. (these days canola as far as the eye can see.)

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:38:28
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999297
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


becklefreckle said:

Kingy said:

Watch out for falling aeroplanes.

Luckily the fires are all under control now, just some blacking out happening. The plane is being salvaged from the other end of the park as we speak.
The only thing in the sky today were birds and hangliders.

“Gaelic fella is ms spock…”
Cool! Congratulations on your new skill. Ich habe ein bisschen of Deutsch gelernt. Aber nicht sehr gut.

daughter in the Barrens NP.


After having just come from the Stirlings where we spent a week photographing orchids and such, we did benture through the Barrens down to Esperance.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:39:12
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999298
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


the lowlands are a food basket. even if it is mostly potatoes, leeks and turnips. (these days canola as far as the eye can see.)

I do my bit by refusing to purchase anything with Canola in it.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:43:51
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999299
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

the lowlands are a food basket. even if it is mostly potatoes, leeks and turnips. (these days canola as far as the eye can see.)

I do my bit by refusing to purchase anything with Canola in it.

:)

let them eat canola doesn’t really work. they would be better off if they were Cobbettting and had potatoes and leeks and and cabbages. Tomatoes are out of season in the uk/

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:46:49
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999300
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

This bloke died on the same day as Shebs. His funeral was yesterday.
My old next door neighbour.
Probably the funniest person I’d ever met. A talented musician who made anyone feel comfortable in his presence.
He was eight years younger.

Here he is with one of my cameras. Peering in the windows of planes flying overhead.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:47:51
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999301
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


roughbarked said:

sarahs mum said:

the lowlands are a food basket. even if it is mostly potatoes, leeks and turnips. (these days canola as far as the eye can see.)

I do my bit by refusing to purchase anything with Canola in it.

:)

let them eat canola doesn’t really work. they would be better off if they were Cobbettting and had potatoes and leeks and and cabbages. Tomatoes are out of season in the uk/

Surely they have greenhouse tomatoes. They are everywhere.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:51:38
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1999302
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


This bloke died on the same day as Shebs. His funeral was yesterday.
My old next door neighbour.
Probably the funniest person I’d ever met. A talented musician who made anyone feel comfortable in his presence.
He was eight years younger.

Here he is with one of my cameras. Peering in the windows of planes flying overhead.


It also looks like he’s peering up at the sun.

May his memory be a blessing.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:51:43
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999303
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

roughbarked said:

I do my bit by refusing to purchase anything with Canola in it.

:)

let them eat canola doesn’t really work. they would be better off if they were Cobbettting and had potatoes and leeks and and cabbages. Tomatoes are out of season in the uk/

Surely they have greenhouse tomatoes. They are everywhere.

apparently lots of the greenhouses lie empty due to energy prices to heat them and not being able to compete with the ones from Spain that did not turn up.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 01:53:43
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999304
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


roughbarked said:

sarahs mum said:

:)

let them eat canola doesn’t really work. they would be better off if they were Cobbettting and had potatoes and leeks and and cabbages. Tomatoes are out of season in the uk/

Surely they have greenhouse tomatoes. They are everywhere.

apparently lots of the greenhouses lie empty due to energy prices to heat them and not being able to compete with the ones from Spain that did not turn up.

Solar heated greenhouse sounds more like the smartest plan.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 03:54:12
From: kii
ID: 1999312
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


kii said:

captain_spalding said:

kii, you’ve been through more grief than possibly i can imagine, and i’m not trying for one second to minimise that.

But, the thing about grief is that it’s survivable. We can accommodate it in our lives.

It can be deep, shattering grief, and it may never go away altogether, but we make a space for it in our lives, and we go on.

We go into so many things in life, aware that there may well be, or even definitely will be, grief at the end of them.

But if we didn’t do that, then we’d forego all of the joy that precedes it.

Will you say ‘no’ to the joy, and let the grief win even before the adventure has started?

Thanks, captain. You’re right. It’s just so exhausting
Right now the cat known as Sally is reminding me it’s time for her to go to bed. Such a stickler for routine.

Get some sleep, kii. I hope that it’s a good, restful sleep. No matter where you are in the world, whether you like it there or not, every new day brings a chance that it will be better than yesterday.

Slept mostly okay, thank you to the hemp CBD gummies and some Benadryl.
Each morning I feel the usual mixture of being overwhelmed and useless, then my own routines kick in – without the mandatory Gracie walkies.
Spring is appearing, from inside the house I think I can see some blossoms on the apricot tree.

Many thanks for your words, captain. Like my local friend Kate’s lovely story about her daughter making friends with a girl in her class, it helps me refocus and occupy my thoughts to replace the whirlpool of grieving I get caught in.. The girl’s family are refugees from Afghanistan. They meet up for picnics and games in the park.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 03:55:45
From: kii
ID: 1999313
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


kii said:

Life is weird without my little shadow.

Have you dreamt about her yet? I recall doing that with Duke. In the dream (and I don’t remember dreams well, but this one is over 30 years old and I can still picture one scene), I opened the side door of the house (it was the one we were living in at the time) and Duke was standing there wanting to come in. I suppose you could read things into that.

Not yet. Lately I dream of being with groups of people.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 04:07:12
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999315
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


captain_spalding said:

kii said:

Thanks, captain. You’re right. It’s just so exhausting
Right now the cat known as Sally is reminding me it’s time for her to go to bed. Such a stickler for routine.

Get some sleep, kii. I hope that it’s a good, restful sleep. No matter where you are in the world, whether you like it there or not, every new day brings a chance that it will be better than yesterday.

Slept mostly okay, thank you to the hemp CBD gummies and some Benadryl.
Each morning I feel the usual mixture of being overwhelmed and useless, then my own routines kick in – without the mandatory Gracie walkies.
Spring is appearing, from inside the house I think I can see some blossoms on the apricot tree.

Many thanks for your words, captain. Like my local friend Kate’s lovely story about her daughter making friends with a girl in her class, it helps me refocus and occupy my thoughts to replace the whirlpool of grieving I get caught in.. The girl’s family are refugees from Afghanistan. They meet up for picnics and games in the park.

People need people.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 04:22:40
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999317
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

For dv: He was interested in Northern Victorian irrigation canals. I can give this info on Murrumbidgee irrigation Area.

The MIA covers an area of 378,911 hectares of which over 141,000 ha was irrigated in 2017.
MI operates over 1,740km of supply channels, and 1,616km of drainage channels. Of the supply channels, around 250km are cement lined, 100km are piped and the remainder are earthen channels.

On the Goulburn-Murray

The Goulburn-Murray Irrigation District (GMID) system is the largest irrigation system in Victoria. It covers 9,950 square kilometres and accounts for more than 70 per cent of water stored in Victoria and almost 90 per cent of water used in irrigation across the State.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 04:59:14
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999318
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

For those interested in my account deleted saga. Where I reported a persistent SPAMMER and instead of deleting said spammer, the moderator hard deleted my account and all the posts and threads PM’s etc that went with it.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 05:12:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999319
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

There’s a movie too. Well there are two but Mrs rb forbade me to upload the first one because she can be heard in the background saying, “I was just going to vacuum that so I can wash it”.

Mud Dauber

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 07:03:14
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999325
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


For those interested in my account deleted saga. Where I reported a persistent SPAMMER and instead of deleting said spammer, the moderator hard deleted my account and all the posts and threads PM’s etc that went with it.


seriously though do you not have an offline store of the images at least, we acknowledge archiving chat is less readily done

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 07:10:03
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999326
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


roughbarked said:

For those interested in my account deleted saga. Where I reported a persistent SPAMMER and instead of deleting said spammer, the moderator hard deleted my account and all the posts and threads PM’s etc that went with it.


seriously though do you not have an offline store of the images at least, we acknowledge archiving chat is less readily done

No worries about my images. Of course I still have the originals. It is the context that once gone is gone.
I have great faith that they will get the important bits back.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 07:12:22
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999327
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:

SCIENCE said:

roughbarked said:

For those interested in my account deleted saga. Where I reported a persistent SPAMMER and instead of deleting said spammer, the moderator hard deleted my account and all the posts and threads PM’s etc that went with it.


seriously though do you not have an offline store of the images at least, we acknowledge archiving chat is less readily done

No worries about my images. Of course I still have the originals. It is the context that once gone is gone.
I have great faith that they will get the important bits back.

makes sense it was one of the reasons we went fucking nuts loading SSSF after the announcement before the shutdown ah well good luck

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 07:28:01
From: buffy
ID: 1999330
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 12 degrees, overcast and still. We are forecast 20 degrees with a possible shower. A few days barely reaching 20 is a Good Thing from my perspective. Back to mid twenties at the far end of the forecast (Sunday), but I really only accept the veracity of about two days ahead. The rest is dart throwing.

Mr buffy wants to do firewood splitting today. We have been thwarted by welcome rain for the past couple of days. I’ve still got plenty of ivy seedlings to evict from garden beds, under trees, all over the place. Probably should do something about another lot of carrot seed to get germinated soon too. And parsnips. And prick out the broccoli into individual little pots but still keep them in the cabbage white proof cage for a bit longer yet.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 08:32:56
From: ms spock
ID: 1999333
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dia dhaoibh Folks! (Hello in Irish in the plural!)

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 08:40:10
From: Tamb
ID: 1999334
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:

Dia dhaoibh Folks! (Hello in Irish in the plural!)


Dia dhuit ms.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 09:14:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999336
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Well this morning I found four mouse poos in the kitchen, so the cloves haven’t exactly scared them off the premises. No poos on the pooter desk this time though.

They’ve failed to heed the warning shots so I’ll be setting traps today.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 09:22:13
From: Woodie
ID: 1999337
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Well this morning I found four mouse poos in the kitchen, so the cloves haven’t exactly scared them off the premises. No poos on the pooter desk this time though.

They’ve failed to heed the warning shots so I’ll be setting traps today.

…. and sharks with friggin’ laser beams.😁 🦈🦈🦈 🐁🐭

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 09:40:51
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999339
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Harrowing article. Anorexia is back with a vengeance.

>Some public hospitals have recorded between an 80 per cent to 104 per cent increase in children with anorexia in the past three years.

Mothers fight to save their daughters from eating disorders amid a health system in ‘crisis’

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-27/eating-disorders-anorexia-mums-fight-for-daughters-four-corners/102012728

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 09:45:30
From: dv
ID: 1999343
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Not sure how top G is still tweeting but this is his real account

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 09:48:28
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999344
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


Not sure how top G is still tweeting but this is his real account

Presumably the prison staff are on his payroll.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 09:54:39
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999345
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Bubblecar said:

Well this morning I found four mouse poos in the kitchen, so the cloves haven’t exactly scared them off the premises. No poos on the pooter desk this time though.

They’ve failed to heed the warning shots so I’ll be setting traps today.

…. and sharks with friggin’ laser beams.😁 🦈🦈🦈 🐁🐭

Two traps loaded with cheese or soap should do the trick.

People say “Mice don’t really like cheese” and advise bread etc in traps, but I’ve had more luck with cheese and soap.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 09:56:12
From: Tamb
ID: 1999346
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Woodie said:

Bubblecar said:

Well this morning I found four mouse poos in the kitchen, so the cloves haven’t exactly scared them off the premises. No poos on the pooter desk this time though.

They’ve failed to heed the warning shots so I’ll be setting traps today.

…. and sharks with friggin’ laser beams.😁 🦈🦈🦈 🐁🐭

Two traps loaded with cheese or soap should do the trick.

People say “Mice don’t really like cheese” and advise bread etc in traps, but I’ve had more luck with cheese and soap.


Peanut butter works really well

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 09:57:36
From: ms spock
ID: 1999347
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Dia dhaoibh Folks! (Hello in Irish in the plural!)


Dia dhuit ms.

:) Dia is Muire dhuit Tamb! (The typical Irish reply for your reply!)

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 09:57:52
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999348
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Bubblecar said:

Woodie said:

…. and sharks with friggin’ laser beams.😁 🦈🦈🦈 🐁🐭

Two traps loaded with cheese or soap should do the trick.

People say “Mice don’t really like cheese” and advise bread etc in traps, but I’ve had more luck with cheese and soap.


Peanut butter works really well

That would mean buying a jar just for the mice, ‘cos I don’t much like it.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 10:00:08
From: Tamb
ID: 1999350
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Tamb said:

ms spock said:

Dia dhaoibh Folks! (Hello in Irish in the plural!)


Dia dhuit ms.

:) Dia is Muire dhuit Tamb! (The typical Irish reply for your reply!)


Very non-gender inclusive of me to omit Mary.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 10:01:44
From: Tamb
ID: 1999351
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Tamb said:

Bubblecar said:

Two traps loaded with cheese or soap should do the trick.

People say “Mice don’t really like cheese” and advise bread etc in traps, but I’ve had more luck with cheese and soap.


Peanut butter works really well

That would mean buying a jar just for the mice, ‘cos I don’t much like it.


Toast, butter, peanut butter & creamed honey. Breakfast of champions.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 10:03:37
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999355
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bit of exercise today, toddling to the health centre to have two tiny stitches removed.

I’d do it myself but I don’t know how they do it and they’re on my right forearm, so I’d have to work left-handed.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 10:04:20
From: ms spock
ID: 1999356
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


ms spock said:

Tamb said:

Dia dhuit ms.

:) Dia is Muire dhuit Tamb! (The typical Irish reply for your reply!)


Very non-gender inclusive of me to omit Mary.

:) it harks back to the Catholics with Mary, who stole it from the people before them.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 10:14:45
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999358
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:

dv said:

Not sure how top G is still tweeting but this is his real account

Presumably the prison staff are on his payroll.

we mean it’sn’t that hard to modify the apparent content of something that someone wrote and then post pictures of it

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 10:28:42
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1999365
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bit of exercise today, toddling to the health centre to have two tiny stitches removed.

I’d do it myself but I don’t know how they do it and they’re on my right forearm, so I’d have to work left-handed.

There will be something on YouTube to help out.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 10:30:27
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1999367
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Bubblecar said:

Bit of exercise today, toddling to the health centre to have two tiny stitches removed.

I’d do it myself but I don’t know how they do it and they’re on my right forearm, so I’d have to work left-handed.

There will be something on YouTube to help out.

Pair of nail clippers will do the trick.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 10:31:14
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1999368
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Last week was a total shit show and so far, this week seems to be getting off to the same start. No wonder I’m so crabby.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 10:50:42
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1999370
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Last week was a total shit show and so far, this week seems to be getting off to the same start. No wonder I’m so crabby.

I haven’t noticed…

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 10:52:36
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999371
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Bubblecar said:

Bit of exercise today, toddling to the health centre to have two tiny stitches removed.

I’d do it myself but I don’t know how they do it and they’re on my right forearm, so I’d have to work left-handed.

There will be something on YouTube to help out.

Pair of nail clippers will do the trick.

I need the walk anyway so I’ll let the nurse do it. And I’ll do some shopping on the way back.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 10:53:29
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999372
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

Bubblecar said:

Bit of exercise today, toddling to the health centre to have two tiny stitches removed.

I’d do it myself but I don’t know how they do it and they’re on my right forearm, so I’d have to work left-handed.

There will be something on YouTube to help out.

Pair of nail clippers will do the trick.

or teeth, GOD gave us teeth for something

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 10:54:13
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999373
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Bubblecar said:

Bit of exercise today, toddling to the health centre to have two tiny stitches removed.

I’d do it myself but I don’t know how they do it and they’re on my right forearm, so I’d have to work left-handed.

There will be something on YouTube to help out.

You can get stitch-cutters from pharmacies.

They’re a bit like safety razor-blades, but the only sharp bit is the inside edge of a little curved/hooked blade, which you hook under the stitch and it cuts it.

Any ends that remain in the skin can be extracted with a good and clean pair of tweezers.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 10:55:23
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1999374
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Divine Angel said:

Last week was a total shit show and so far, this week seems to be getting off to the same start. No wonder I’m so crabby.

I haven’t noticed…

Better be careful or I’ll turn into Alex. With a suntan.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:04:19
From: Cymek
ID: 1999380
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ghIlab

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:09:23
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999383
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Betoota Advocate:

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/sports/wests-tigers-praised-by-other-clubs-for-starting-players-strike-ten-years-early/

‘“Thank you Tigers, not only have you stood up for player welfare but we can always count on you for two points,” stated the Rugby League Fans Association (RLFA) during a ‘fans of the top 15 meeting’.

“Your refusal to play not just finals games but any footy at all over the past ten years has not gone unnoticed, not just by your long suffering fans who should all receive some sort of government funded therapy, but by the fans of every other team who can treat a game against youse as a more exciting bye round.”

While Tigers fans reading this may want to take solace in the fact that finishing 2022 with the spoon means 2023 can’t be worse, we at The Advocate would like to remind you that with Redcliffe joining this year it actually could be as 17th place is now an option.’

They haven’t won a Premiership for over 50 years now.

I do remember that in the 1970s and 80s, you could count on Balmain/The Tigers to do reasonably well in the first few rounds, but they would then seemingly be struck by the realisation that they might be expected to maintain that standard all season, and so then devoted a good deal of time to training at holding up the bar at the Tigers Club, and performance would decline significantly.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:10:06
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1999384
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Funny story, because we all need a giggle.

So there’s a dumbarse school mum who parks in the bus stop right outside the school at drop off and pick up. It’s not a shove-the-kid-out-the-door situation, she gets out of the car and walks her precious angel to class, so she’s gone for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Right in the bus stop. Parents have told her off. Bus drivers have told her off. School staff have told her off. She ignores everyone. I know people have reported her, several times. She’s taken to dropping off and picking up 10 minutes late to avoid the rush where she’s more likely to be told off.

This morning I thought it was two security guards but they were council law enforcers (that’s a thing?) and I asked them if they were there for this dumbarse. “We can’t confirm… yes, we are. Do you know when she usually arrives?” I told them all I know, including the number plate, make and colour of the car, what she looks like.

Dunno if they got her, I walked around the block and couldn’t see them when I drove out.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:17:43
From: Woodie
ID: 1999392
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Funny story, because we all need a giggle.

So there’s a dumbarse school mum who parks in the bus stop right outside the school at drop off and pick up. It’s not a shove-the-kid-out-the-door situation, she gets out of the car and walks her precious angel to class, so she’s gone for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Right in the bus stop. Parents have told her off. Bus drivers have told her off. School staff have told her off. She ignores everyone. I know people have reported her, several times. She’s taken to dropping off and picking up 10 minutes late to avoid the rush where she’s more likely to be told off.

This morning I thought it was two security guards but they were council law enforcers (that’s a thing?) and I asked them if they were there for this dumbarse. “We can’t confirm… yes, we are. Do you know when she usually arrives?” I told them all I know, including the number plate, make and colour of the car, what she looks like.

Dunno if they got her, I walked around the block and couldn’t see them when I drove out.

Ring “A Current Affair” . They’ll sort he out quick smart. That sorta thing is right up their alley.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:18:48
From: Cymek
ID: 1999393
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


Divine Angel said:

Funny story, because we all need a giggle.

So there’s a dumbarse school mum who parks in the bus stop right outside the school at drop off and pick up. It’s not a shove-the-kid-out-the-door situation, she gets out of the car and walks her precious angel to class, so she’s gone for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Right in the bus stop. Parents have told her off. Bus drivers have told her off. School staff have told her off. She ignores everyone. I know people have reported her, several times. She’s taken to dropping off and picking up 10 minutes late to avoid the rush where she’s more likely to be told off.

This morning I thought it was two security guards but they were council law enforcers (that’s a thing?) and I asked them if they were there for this dumbarse. “We can’t confirm… yes, we are. Do you know when she usually arrives?” I told them all I know, including the number plate, make and colour of the car, what she looks like.

Dunno if they got her, I walked around the block and couldn’t see them when I drove out.

Ring “A Current Affair” . They’ll sort he out quick smart. That sorta thing is right up their alley.

Enough strong people could pick up her car and put it between two objects that don’t move

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:21:12
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1999395
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Woodie said:

Divine Angel said:

Funny story, because we all need a giggle.

So there’s a dumbarse school mum who parks in the bus stop right outside the school at drop off and pick up. It’s not a shove-the-kid-out-the-door situation, she gets out of the car and walks her precious angel to class, so she’s gone for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Right in the bus stop. Parents have told her off. Bus drivers have told her off. School staff have told her off. She ignores everyone. I know people have reported her, several times. She’s taken to dropping off and picking up 10 minutes late to avoid the rush where she’s more likely to be told off.

This morning I thought it was two security guards but they were council law enforcers (that’s a thing?) and I asked them if they were there for this dumbarse. “We can’t confirm… yes, we are. Do you know when she usually arrives?” I told them all I know, including the number plate, make and colour of the car, what she looks like.

Dunno if they got her, I walked around the block and couldn’t see them when I drove out.

Ring “A Current Affair” . They’ll sort he out quick smart. That sorta thing is right up their alley.

Enough strong people could pick up her car and put it between two objects that don’t move

She’s been locked between buses before. But you know buses, they gotta eventually pick people up.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:24:41
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999398
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Woodie said:

Divine Angel said:

Funny story, because we all need a giggle.

So there’s a dumbarse school mum who parks in the bus stop right outside the school at drop off and pick up. It’s not a shove-the-kid-out-the-door situation, she gets out of the car and walks her precious angel to class, so she’s gone for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Right in the bus stop. Parents have told her off. Bus drivers have told her off. School staff have told her off. She ignores everyone. I know people have reported her, several times. She’s taken to dropping off and picking up 10 minutes late to avoid the rush where she’s more likely to be told off.

This morning I thought it was two security guards but they were council law enforcers (that’s a thing?) and I asked them if they were there for this dumbarse. “We can’t confirm… yes, we are. Do you know when she usually arrives?” I told them all I know, including the number plate, make and colour of the car, what she looks like.

Dunno if they got her, I walked around the block and couldn’t see them when I drove out.

Ring “A Current Affair” . They’ll sort he out quick smart. That sorta thing is right up their alley.

Enough strong people could pick up her car and put it between two objects that don’t move

Two bus drivers could take a few minutes out of their schedule, and park bumper-to-bumper with her car, front and back.

Then when she returns, they could discuss what vehicles should and should not be parked in the bus zone. And then the bus drivers could e.g. go into the school for maybe 15 mins of ‘consultation with the school’.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:27:10
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1999400
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Woodie said:

Divine Angel said:

Funny story, because we all need a giggle.

So there’s a dumbarse school mum who parks in the bus stop right outside the school at drop off and pick up. It’s not a shove-the-kid-out-the-door situation, she gets out of the car and walks her precious angel to class, so she’s gone for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Right in the bus stop. Parents have told her off. Bus drivers have told her off. School staff have told her off. She ignores everyone. I know people have reported her, several times. She’s taken to dropping off and picking up 10 minutes late to avoid the rush where she’s more likely to be told off.

This morning I thought it was two security guards but they were council law enforcers (that’s a thing?) and I asked them if they were there for this dumbarse. “We can’t confirm… yes, we are. Do you know when she usually arrives?” I told them all I know, including the number plate, make and colour of the car, what she looks like.

Dunno if they got her, I walked around the block and couldn’t see them when I drove out.

Ring “A Current Affair” . They’ll sort he out quick smart. That sorta thing is right up their alley.

Enough strong people could pick up her car and put it between two objects that don’t move

get a code duplicator gizmo. read her car code. keep locking the doors when she unlocks them.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:27:35
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1999401
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The main carpark, for teachers and staff, is controlled by DoE, everywhere else is the council’s problem. Although I thought, being a bus stop, it would be TMR, but apparently it comes under council as well. Who knew??? Anyway I’ll hang around this afternoon and see if Little Miss Entitled parks there.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:47:45
From: diddly-squat
ID: 1999412
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Funny story, because we all need a giggle.

So there’s a dumbarse school mum who parks in the bus stop right outside the school at drop off and pick up. It’s not a shove-the-kid-out-the-door situation, she gets out of the car and walks her precious angel to class, so she’s gone for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Right in the bus stop. Parents have told her off. Bus drivers have told her off. School staff have told her off. She ignores everyone. I know people have reported her, several times. She’s taken to dropping off and picking up 10 minutes late to avoid the rush where she’s more likely to be told off.

This morning I thought it was two security guards but they were council law enforcers (that’s a thing?) and I asked them if they were there for this dumbarse. “We can’t confirm… yes, we are. Do you know when she usually arrives?” I told them all I know, including the number plate, make and colour of the car, what she looks like.

Dunno if they got her, I walked around the block and couldn’t see them when I drove out.

why on earth would people take the time out of their day to report something like this?

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:50:16
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999413
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:

Woodie said:

Divine Angel said:

Funny story, because we all need a giggle.

So there’s a dumbarse school mum who parks in the bus stop right outside the school at drop off and pick up. It’s not a shove-the-kid-out-the-door situation, she gets out of the car and walks her precious angel to class, so she’s gone for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Right in the bus stop. Parents have told her off. Bus drivers have told her off. School staff have told her off. She ignores everyone. I know people have reported her, several times. She’s taken to dropping off and picking up 10 minutes late to avoid the rush where she’s more likely to be told off.

This morning I thought it was two security guards but they were council law enforcers (that’s a thing?) and I asked them if they were there for this dumbarse. “We can’t confirm… yes, we are. Do you know when she usually arrives?” I told them all I know, including the number plate, make and colour of the car, what she looks like.

Dunno if they got her, I walked around the block and couldn’t see them when I drove out.

Ring “A Current Affair” . They’ll sort he out quick smart. That sorta thing is right up their alley.

Enough strong people could pick up her car and put it between two objects that don’t move

you only need to tip it on its side right (or left), easier if it’s a Toorak Tractor with high cog too

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:51:32
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999414
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:

Divine Angel said:

Funny story, because we all need a giggle.

So there’s a dumbarse school mum who parks in the bus stop right outside the school at drop off and pick up. It’s not a shove-the-kid-out-the-door situation, she gets out of the car and walks her precious angel to class, so she’s gone for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Right in the bus stop. Parents have told her off. Bus drivers have told her off. School staff have told her off. She ignores everyone. I know people have reported her, several times. She’s taken to dropping off and picking up 10 minutes late to avoid the rush where she’s more likely to be told off.

This morning I thought it was two security guards but they were council law enforcers (that’s a thing?) and I asked them if they were there for this dumbarse. “We can’t confirm… yes, we are. Do you know when she usually arrives?” I told them all I know, including the number plate, make and colour of the car, what she looks like.

Dunno if they got her, I walked around the block and couldn’t see them when I drove out.

why on earth would people take the time out of their day to report something like this?

we mean you’re right, people illegally parking in bus stops don’t cause delays and waste people’s important daytime

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:53:05
From: Cymek
ID: 1999416
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:


Divine Angel said:

Funny story, because we all need a giggle.

So there’s a dumbarse school mum who parks in the bus stop right outside the school at drop off and pick up. It’s not a shove-the-kid-out-the-door situation, she gets out of the car and walks her precious angel to class, so she’s gone for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Right in the bus stop. Parents have told her off. Bus drivers have told her off. School staff have told her off. She ignores everyone. I know people have reported her, several times. She’s taken to dropping off and picking up 10 minutes late to avoid the rush where she’s more likely to be told off.

This morning I thought it was two security guards but they were council law enforcers (that’s a thing?) and I asked them if they were there for this dumbarse. “We can’t confirm… yes, we are. Do you know when she usually arrives?” I told them all I know, including the number plate, make and colour of the car, what she looks like.

Dunno if they got her, I walked around the block and couldn’t see them when I drove out.

why on earth would people take the time out of their day to report something like this?

Sounds like its blocking the buses from letting people on and off

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:54:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999419
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:


Divine Angel said:

Funny story, because we all need a giggle.

So there’s a dumbarse school mum who parks in the bus stop right outside the school at drop off and pick up. It’s not a shove-the-kid-out-the-door situation, she gets out of the car and walks her precious angel to class, so she’s gone for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Right in the bus stop. Parents have told her off. Bus drivers have told her off. School staff have told her off. She ignores everyone. I know people have reported her, several times. She’s taken to dropping off and picking up 10 minutes late to avoid the rush where she’s more likely to be told off.

This morning I thought it was two security guards but they were council law enforcers (that’s a thing?) and I asked them if they were there for this dumbarse. “We can’t confirm… yes, we are. Do you know when she usually arrives?” I told them all I know, including the number plate, make and colour of the car, what she looks like.

Dunno if they got her, I walked around the block and couldn’t see them when I drove out.

why on earth would people take the time out of their day to report something like this?

Because continually leaving your car in a bus bay presents a serious traffic hazard.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:54:55
From: diddly-squat
ID: 1999420
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

diddly-squat said:

Divine Angel said:

Funny story, because we all need a giggle.

So there’s a dumbarse school mum who parks in the bus stop right outside the school at drop off and pick up. It’s not a shove-the-kid-out-the-door situation, she gets out of the car and walks her precious angel to class, so she’s gone for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Right in the bus stop. Parents have told her off. Bus drivers have told her off. School staff have told her off. She ignores everyone. I know people have reported her, several times. She’s taken to dropping off and picking up 10 minutes late to avoid the rush where she’s more likely to be told off.

This morning I thought it was two security guards but they were council law enforcers (that’s a thing?) and I asked them if they were there for this dumbarse. “We can’t confirm… yes, we are. Do you know when she usually arrives?” I told them all I know, including the number plate, make and colour of the car, what she looks like.

Dunno if they got her, I walked around the block and couldn’t see them when I drove out.

why on earth would people take the time out of their day to report something like this?

we mean you’re right, people illegally parking in bus stops don’t cause delays and waste people’s important daytime

I agree it would suck for the bus drivers, they are just trying to do their job… I would imagine there are protocols for them reporting issues like this…

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:55:51
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999421
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


diddly-squat said:

Divine Angel said:

Funny story, because we all need a giggle.

So there’s a dumbarse school mum who parks in the bus stop right outside the school at drop off and pick up. It’s not a shove-the-kid-out-the-door situation, she gets out of the car and walks her precious angel to class, so she’s gone for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Right in the bus stop. Parents have told her off. Bus drivers have told her off. School staff have told her off. She ignores everyone. I know people have reported her, several times. She’s taken to dropping off and picking up 10 minutes late to avoid the rush where she’s more likely to be told off.

This morning I thought it was two security guards but they were council law enforcers (that’s a thing?) and I asked them if they were there for this dumbarse. “We can’t confirm… yes, we are. Do you know when she usually arrives?” I told them all I know, including the number plate, make and colour of the car, what she looks like.

Dunno if they got her, I walked around the block and couldn’t see them when I drove out.

why on earth would people take the time out of their day to report something like this?

Because continually leaving your car in a bus bay presents a serious traffic hazard.

…especially when it involves loads of kids getting on and off the bus, who expect to be able to do so in the designated safe spot for that purpose.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:55:57
From: diddly-squat
ID: 1999422
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


diddly-squat said:

Divine Angel said:

Funny story, because we all need a giggle.

So there’s a dumbarse school mum who parks in the bus stop right outside the school at drop off and pick up. It’s not a shove-the-kid-out-the-door situation, she gets out of the car and walks her precious angel to class, so she’s gone for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Right in the bus stop. Parents have told her off. Bus drivers have told her off. School staff have told her off. She ignores everyone. I know people have reported her, several times. She’s taken to dropping off and picking up 10 minutes late to avoid the rush where she’s more likely to be told off.

This morning I thought it was two security guards but they were council law enforcers (that’s a thing?) and I asked them if they were there for this dumbarse. “We can’t confirm… yes, we are. Do you know when she usually arrives?” I told them all I know, including the number plate, make and colour of the car, what she looks like.

Dunno if they got her, I walked around the block and couldn’t see them when I drove out.

why on earth would people take the time out of their day to report something like this?

Sounds like its blocking the buses from letting people on and off

yep.. so just let the bus drivers deal with it…

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:58:13
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999423
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:


SCIENCE said:

diddly-squat said:

why on earth would people take the time out of their day to report something like this?

we mean you’re right, people illegally parking in bus stops don’t cause delays and waste people’s important daytime

I agree it would suck for the bus drivers, they are just trying to do their job… I would imagine there are protocols for them reporting issues like this…

yes, though we acknowledge that never having driven a public bus we wouldn’t know for sure, but we have driven behind slash alongside them and it caused delays for us too

also like maybe people didn’t report them for breaking rules, maybe people were reporting an inappropriately signed bus zone that really should just have been public roadside parking and they wanted to stop their cars there too to save time

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:58:44
From: diddly-squat
ID: 1999424
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

diddly-squat said:

why on earth would people take the time out of their day to report something like this?

Because continually leaving your car in a bus bay presents a serious traffic hazard.

…especially when it involves loads of kids getting on and off the bus, who expect to be able to do so in the designated safe spot for that purpose.

and of course the person best equipped to make this determination is the bus driver.. just let them deal with it…

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 11:59:05
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999425
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:


Cymek said:

diddly-squat said:

why on earth would people take the time out of their day to report something like this?

Sounds like its blocking the buses from letting people on and off

yep.. so just let the bus drivers deal with it…

Clearly it hadn’t been dealt with, as DA tells us many people had complained and reported the problem over a long time to no effect.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:00:38
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999426
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:

diddly-squat said:

Cymek said:

Sounds like its blocking the buses from letting people on and off

yep.. so just let the bus drivers deal with it…

Clearly it hadn’t been dealt with, as DA tells us many people had complained and reported the problem over a long time to no effect.

what if children who aren’t bus drivers but were in the buses waiting to get somewhere, were largely inconvenienced by bus delays would it be acceptable for children to report it or should they sit down and shut up and let the driver know best

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:00:45
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1999427
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good afternoon everyone.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:01:40
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999428
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning punters and correctors.
Not much to report except that the truck just emptied the yellow bin.
Over.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:01:44
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999429
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:

Good afternoon everyone.

sorry everyone’s busy

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:03:49
From: diddly-squat
ID: 1999431
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


diddly-squat said:

Cymek said:

Sounds like its blocking the buses from letting people on and off

yep.. so just let the bus drivers deal with it…

Clearly it hadn’t been dealt with, as DA tells us many people had complained and reported the problem over a long time to no effect.

so maybe it wasn’t “a problem” for them.. IDK..

If my two decades of school drop off experience has taught me anything it’s that parking officers frequent schools all the time and poor parking practice rarely goes unpunished for long.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:03:50
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999432
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Morning punters and correctors.
Not much to report except that the truck just emptied the yellow bin.
Over.

Correction, the bin is not yellow, just the top is yellow.
I should have said yellow-topped bin.
Sorry to anyone who may have been offended.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:05:39
From: Tamb
ID: 1999434
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Good afternoon everyone.

sorry everyone’s busy


G’day.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:06:13
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1999435
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Good afternoon everyone.

sorry everyone’s busy

Better than everyone doing nothing.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:06:37
From: Cymek
ID: 1999436
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:


Bubblecar said:

diddly-squat said:

yep.. so just let the bus drivers deal with it…

Clearly it hadn’t been dealt with, as DA tells us many people had complained and reported the problem over a long time to no effect.

so maybe it wasn’t “a problem” for them.. IDK..

If my two decades of school drop off experience has taught me anything it’s that parking officers frequent schools all the time and poor parking practice rarely goes unpunished for long.

So you’re thinking some sort of conspiracy or kickback scheme, you could be right, a story in this for DA

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:06:56
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999437
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:

SCIENCE said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Good afternoon everyone.

sorry everyone’s busy

G’day.

you’re right we suppose some could be training

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:08:43
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999439
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Morning punters and correctors.
Not much to report except that the truck just emptied the yellow bin.
Over.

Correction, the bin is not yellow, just the top is yellow.
I should have said yellow-topped bin.
Sorry to anyone who may have been offended.

It’s not really the done thing to continually draw attention to its colour in that manner. But I’ll let you off with a warning this time.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:10:28
From: diddly-squat
ID: 1999441
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


diddly-squat said:

Bubblecar said:

Clearly it hadn’t been dealt with, as DA tells us many people had complained and reported the problem over a long time to no effect.

so maybe it wasn’t “a problem” for them.. IDK..

If my two decades of school drop off experience has taught me anything it’s that parking officers frequent schools all the time and poor parking practice rarely goes unpunished for long.

So you’re thinking some sort of conspiracy or kickback scheme, you could be right, a story in this for DA

lol..

my point was more.. if you don’t want to get fined, then don’t park illegally… maybe this person has been fined multiple time before and just doesn’t care…

who knows? and to my original point.. why would you care?

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:10:34
From: Tamb
ID: 1999442
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Morning punters and correctors.
Not much to report except that the truck just emptied the yellow bin.
Over.

Correction, the bin is not yellow, just the top is yellow.
I should have said yellow-topped bin.
Sorry to anyone who may have been offended.

It’s not really the done thing to continually draw attention to its colour in that manner. But I’ll let you off with a warning this time.


I suppose you could say the recycling bin.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:12:35
From: Cymek
ID: 1999444
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:


Cymek said:

diddly-squat said:

so maybe it wasn’t “a problem” for them.. IDK..

If my two decades of school drop off experience has taught me anything it’s that parking officers frequent schools all the time and poor parking practice rarely goes unpunished for long.

So you’re thinking some sort of conspiracy or kickback scheme, you could be right, a story in this for DA

lol..

my point was more.. if you don’t want to get fined, then don’t park illegally… maybe this person has been fined multiple time before and just doesn’t care…

who knows? and to my original point.. why would you care?

I don’t personally

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:13:30
From: LPlaterfoghlaimeoirGaeilge
ID: 1999445
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


ghIlab

What does this mean Cymek?

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:14:38
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999446
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


diddly-squat said:

Cymek said:

So you’re thinking some sort of conspiracy or kickback scheme, you could be right, a story in this for DA

lol..

my point was more.. if you don’t want to get fined, then don’t park illegally… maybe this person has been fined multiple time before and just doesn’t care…

who knows? and to my original point.. why would you care?

I don’t personally

if you see something, don’t say anything

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:14:46
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999447
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Life is a shit sandwich.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:17:57
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999449
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

RIGHT I’d better put some trousers on and get out there.

What’s the betting all the nurses will be on their lunch break when I arrive…

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:18:33
From: Tamb
ID: 1999450
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Life is a shit sandwich.


I wouldn’t go that far but it could certainly do with some improvement.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:19:15
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1999451
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Life is a shit sandwich.

One can throw away the shit and just eat the bread.

It will be a lot healthier.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:19:25
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1999452
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:


Cymek said:

diddly-squat said:

so maybe it wasn’t “a problem” for them.. IDK..

If my two decades of school drop off experience has taught me anything it’s that parking officers frequent schools all the time and poor parking practice rarely goes unpunished for long.

So you’re thinking some sort of conspiracy or kickback scheme, you could be right, a story in this for DA

lol..

my point was more.. if you don’t want to get fined, then don’t park illegally… maybe this person has been fined multiple time before and just doesn’t care…

who knows? and to my original point.. why would you care?


Because entitled pricks deserve their comeuppance.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:19:59
From: Cymek
ID: 1999454
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

LPlaterfoghlaimeoirGaeilge said:


Cymek said:

ghIlab

What does this mean Cymek?

Klingon for greetings

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:20:38
From: diddly-squat
ID: 1999455
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


diddly-squat said:

Cymek said:

So you’re thinking some sort of conspiracy or kickback scheme, you could be right, a story in this for DA

lol..

my point was more.. if you don’t want to get fined, then don’t park illegally… maybe this person has been fined multiple time before and just doesn’t care…

who knows? and to my original point.. why would you care?


Because entitled pricks deserve their comeuppance.

I think you may be right Witty…

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:22:55
From: LPlaterfoghlaimeoirGaeilge
ID: 1999456
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Good afternoon everyone.

Tráthnóna maith duit Tau.Neutrino! (Good afternoon Tau.Neutrino!)

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:24:14
From: buffy
ID: 1999457
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


RIGHT I’d better put some trousers on and get out there.

What’s the betting all the nurses will be on their lunch break when I arrive…

If you go at lunchtime, that’s a fair bet.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:25:51
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999459
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

diddly-squat said:

lol..

my point was more.. if you don’t want to get fined, then don’t park illegally… maybe this person has been fined multiple time before and just doesn’t care…

who knows? and to my original point.. why would you care?

Because entitled pricks deserve their comeuppance.

I think you may be right Witty…

exactly, rules should only apply to people without privilege

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:27:33
From: LPlaterfoghlaimeoirGaeilge
ID: 1999460
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


LPlaterfoghlaimeoirGaeilge said:

Cymek said:

ghIlab

What does this mean Cymek?

Klingon for greetings

Jih legh! You can actually learn Klingon on Duolingo!

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:28:35
From: LPlaterfoghlaimeoirGaeilge
ID: 1999461
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Life is a shit sandwich.

:(

Sorry to read you are having a tough one!

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:40:15
From: Woodie
ID: 1999464
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Morning punters and correctors.
Not much to report except that the truck just emptied the yellow bin.
Over.

Correction, the bin is not yellow, just the top is yellow.
I should have said yellow-topped bin.
Sorry to anyone who may have been offended.

It’s outrageous. I’m absolutely appalled. The Minister should resign and the Ambassador must be charged with Crimes Against Humanity.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:40:52
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999465
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:

why on earth would people take the time out of their day to report something like this?

Why do people report other people for parking in handicapped spaces when they’re not handicapped? Or for parking where they block other people’s driveways/access? Or where they obscure the view of oncoming traffic? Or in loading zones when they’re not driving commercial vehicles?

Why bother with any of it?

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:41:19
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999467
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

…just about to go when I checked the letterbox and there was a lovely letter from DA in there.

Ta, I’ll send you one in return :)

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:43:07
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999469
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Morning punters and correctors.
Not much to report except that the truck just emptied the yellow bin.
Over.

Correction, the bin is not yellow, just the top is yellow.
I should have said yellow-topped bin.
Sorry to anyone who may have been offended.

Of course you know, this means war?

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:44:01
From: buffy
ID: 1999471
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Hey Woodie. I discovered the movie “Stage Mother” the other night. I liked it. A lot. Tired old story, but enjoyable.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:45:18
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999472
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


diddly-squat said:

why on earth would people take the time out of their day to report something like this?

Why do people report other people for parking in handicapped spaces when they’re not handicapped? Or for parking where they block other people’s driveways/access? Or where they obscure the view of oncoming traffic? Or in loading zones when they’re not driving commercial vehicles?

Why bother with any of it?

freedom

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:47:32
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999473
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


captain_spalding said:

diddly-squat said:

why on earth would people take the time out of their day to report something like this?

Why do people report other people for parking in handicapped spaces when they’re not handicapped? Or for parking where they block other people’s driveways/access? Or where they obscure the view of oncoming traffic? Or in loading zones when they’re not driving commercial vehicles?

Why bother with any of it?

freedom

Maybe the lady is a ‘sovereign citizen’, so our laws don’t apply to her.

Case/matter/business closed. Move along, nothing to see here.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:48:01
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999474
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


captain_spalding said:

diddly-squat said:

why on earth would people take the time out of their day to report something like this?

Why do people report other people for parking in handicapped spaces when they’re not handicapped? Or for parking where they block other people’s driveways/access? Or where they obscure the view of oncoming traffic? Or in loading zones when they’re not driving commercial vehicles?

Why bother with any of it?

freedom

I think that is supposed to be capitalised.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:50:30
From: Woodie
ID: 1999475
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Hey Woodie. I discovered the movie “Stage Mother” the other night. I liked it. A lot. Tired old story, but enjoyable.

I looked it up when you mentioned it. I noted it had Lucy Liu in it. Saved it for an “OnDemand” night this week.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:53:41
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1999476
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Have a tow truck standing by.

Take the car away for 30 minutes or so.

Then bring it back and put it in a proper car parking spot.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:54:30
From: dv
ID: 1999478
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.tiktok.com/@fallontonight/video/7172027988119162154?lang=en

Dolly Parton’s animal cruelty diatribe

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 12:56:03
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999480
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


https://www.tiktok.com/@fallontonight/video/7172027988119162154?lang=en

Dolly Parton’s animal cruelty diatribe

For or against?

(Joking: how could a living American saint propound animal cruelty?)

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 13:00:40
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999481
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I don’t believe anything a person with fake tits says.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 13:02:44
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999482
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


https://www.tiktok.com/@fallontonight/video/7172027988119162154?lang=en

Dolly Parton’s animal cruelty diatribe

entertaining.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 13:04:57
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999483
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


I don’t believe anything a person with fake tits says.

Not all people with ‘fake tits’ are liars, just as not all liars have fake tits e.g. many prominent Australian politicians, male and female.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 13:09:25
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999484
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Peak Warming Man said:

I don’t believe anything a person with fake tits says.

Not all people with ‘fake tits’ are liars, just as not all liars have fake tits e.g. many prominent Australian politicians, male and female.

YOU’RE JUST A SHRILL FOR THE FAKE TIT INDUSTRY

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 13:13:06
From: dv
ID: 1999485
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:


Divine Angel said:

Funny story, because we all need a giggle.

So there’s a dumbarse school mum who parks in the bus stop right outside the school at drop off and pick up. It’s not a shove-the-kid-out-the-door situation, she gets out of the car and walks her precious angel to class, so she’s gone for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Right in the bus stop. Parents have told her off. Bus drivers have told her off. School staff have told her off. She ignores everyone. I know people have reported her, several times. She’s taken to dropping off and picking up 10 minutes late to avoid the rush where she’s more likely to be told off.

This morning I thought it was two security guards but they were council law enforcers (that’s a thing?) and I asked them if they were there for this dumbarse. “We can’t confirm… yes, we are. Do you know when she usually arrives?” I told them all I know, including the number plate, make and colour of the car, what she looks like.

Dunno if they got her, I walked around the block and couldn’t see them when I drove out.

why on earth would people take the time out of their day to report something like this?

Maybe the bus drivers reported it because it was making them late and inconveniencing their clientele.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 13:17:24
From: kii
ID: 1999486
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


diddly-squat said:

Divine Angel said:

Funny story, because we all need a giggle.

So there’s a dumbarse school mum who parks in the bus stop right outside the school at drop off and pick up. It’s not a shove-the-kid-out-the-door situation, she gets out of the car and walks her precious angel to class, so she’s gone for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Right in the bus stop. Parents have told her off. Bus drivers have told her off. School staff have told her off. She ignores everyone. I know people have reported her, several times. She’s taken to dropping off and picking up 10 minutes late to avoid the rush where she’s more likely to be told off.

This morning I thought it was two security guards but they were council law enforcers (that’s a thing?) and I asked them if they were there for this dumbarse. “We can’t confirm… yes, we are. Do you know when she usually arrives?” I told them all I know, including the number plate, make and colour of the car, what she looks like.

Dunno if they got her, I walked around the block and couldn’t see them when I drove out.

why on earth would people take the time out of their day to report something like this?

Maybe the bus drivers reported it because it was making them late and inconveniencing their clientele.

Depending on the layout etc, it may put passengers at risk.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 13:27:51
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999488
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


SCIENCE said:

captain_spalding said:

Why do people report other people for parking in handicapped spaces when they’re not handicapped? Or for parking where they block other people’s driveways/access? Or where they obscure the view of oncoming traffic? Or in loading zones when they’re not driving commercial vehicles?

Why bother with any of it?

freedom

I think that is supposed to be capitalised.

Pay For Your Freedom, Free Market On Liberties¡

wait

why not communised

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 13:29:11
From: Michael V
ID: 1999489
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Morning punters and correctors.
Not much to report except that the truck just emptied the yellow bin.
Over.

Correction, the bin is not yellow, just the top is yellow.
I should have said yellow-topped bin.
Sorry to anyone who may have been offended.

You’re forgiven, both by me, and the butcher bird sitting on the clothesline singing away beautifully.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 13:30:21
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999490
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


I don’t believe anything a person with fake tits says.

well hung or well hanged

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 13:33:43
From: Kothos
ID: 1999493
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

diddly-squat said:


Divine Angel said:

Funny story, because we all need a giggle.

So there’s a dumbarse school mum who parks in the bus stop right outside the school at drop off and pick up. It’s not a shove-the-kid-out-the-door situation, she gets out of the car and walks her precious angel to class, so she’s gone for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Right in the bus stop. Parents have told her off. Bus drivers have told her off. School staff have told her off. She ignores everyone. I know people have reported her, several times. She’s taken to dropping off and picking up 10 minutes late to avoid the rush where she’s more likely to be told off.

This morning I thought it was two security guards but they were council law enforcers (that’s a thing?) and I asked them if they were there for this dumbarse. “We can’t confirm… yes, we are. Do you know when she usually arrives?” I told them all I know, including the number plate, make and colour of the car, what she looks like.

Dunno if they got her, I walked around the block and couldn’t see them when I drove out.

why on earth would people take the time out of their day to report something like this?

Because the law actually makes sense and is useful? If two buses have to block traffic because they can’t park that’s a hundred people potentially affected on their commutes, and is dangerous for the kids getting off the bus. And if there is no accountability and there are no consequences such that the behaviour spreads, that could be thousands affected.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 13:37:16
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999499
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Still waiting for a nurse.

And then I’ll have to do a RAT test before the stitches are removed :/

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 13:37:47
From: OCDC
ID: 1999500
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Pls excuse my rambling – woke with a migraine so I’m not Peak Thinking Dok today.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 13:40:33
From: OCDC
ID: 1999503
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Is there a nerdle thread? 2/6, streak 349.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 13:40:59
From: Michael V
ID: 1999505
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Morning punters and correctors.
Not much to report except that the truck just emptied the yellow bin.
Over.

Correction, the bin is not yellow, just the top is yellow.
I should have said yellow-topped bin.
Sorry to anyone who may have been offended.

You’re forgiven, both by me, and the butcher bird sitting on the clothesline singing away beautifully.

The butcher bird has moved to the verandah rail now. It is still singing beautifully.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 13:43:10
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999506
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


Is there a nerdle thread? 2/6, streak 349.

I don’t think the forum found enough enthusiasm for Nerdle to start a thread.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 13:43:37
From: Tamb
ID: 1999507
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Michael V said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Correction, the bin is not yellow, just the top is yellow.
I should have said yellow-topped bin.
Sorry to anyone who may have been offended.

You’re forgiven, both by me, and the butcher bird sitting on the clothesline singing away beautifully.

The butcher bird has moved to the verandah rail now. It is still singing beautifully.


A paean of praise for the beautiful yellow topped bin.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 13:53:44
From: buffy
ID: 1999518
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Woodie said:


buffy said:

Hey Woodie. I discovered the movie “Stage Mother” the other night. I liked it. A lot. Tired old story, but enjoyable.

I looked it up when you mentioned it. I noted it had Lucy Liu in it. Saved it for an “OnDemand” night this week.

She’s good.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 13:56:58
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1999523
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

When did the original ABC version of the Science Forum start up?

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 14:01:35
From: buffy
ID: 1999529
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’d forgotten this was underway.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-27/malka-leifer-trial-sexual-abuse-psychologist-elly-sapper/102027882

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 14:11:58
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999540
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I started posting pretty much at the beginning.
The first pud I went to was at fsm’s place on the Gold Coast, can’t remember the year.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 14:25:06
From: buffy
ID: 1999548
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

A few photos of these critters have been offered on iNaturalist lately. Very stunning insect. IDd so far as possibly Amorbus alternatus.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 14:34:03
From: Cymek
ID: 1999555
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


A few photos of these critters have been offered on iNaturalist lately. Very stunning insect. IDd so far as possibly Amorbus alternatus.


Cool markings
We have an orb spider underneath our patio, its been making webs right in front of the sliding door, even connecting the web to the guinea pigs hutch.
I feel bad walking into and destroying it but its can’t be helped, all that effort for nothing

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 14:42:10
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1999556
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


buffy said:

A few photos of these critters have been offered on iNaturalist lately. Very stunning insect. IDd so far as possibly Amorbus alternatus.


Cool markings
We have an orb spider underneath our patio, its been making webs right in front of the sliding door, even connecting the web to the guinea pigs hutch.
I feel bad walking into and destroying it but its can’t be helped, all that effort for nothing

It’s got big plans to snare a human one day. Years of blood sucking right there.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 14:49:37
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999565
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

BACK , unstitched and luckily didn’t need a RAT after all.

On the way home I stopped at the Tasmania Shop to get some gourmet cheeses* for a special sibeen cheese board. Also got some nice grapes and crackers from the IGA to go with them.

And for tonight’s dinner, some Wayside Butchery venison sausages. Also purchased a bottle of scotch, red wine and some German beer, a pint of which I’m about to pour.

*another wedge of Grandvewe’s excellent Gin Herbalist sheep cheese, flavoured with native Australian botanicals used in their gin distillery. And a wedge of Bay of Fires semi-hard cheese from St Helens, always a favourite.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 15:00:27
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999569
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“Before we got married, I said to Arwen, half as a joke, you know if by 2020 the world hasn’t made sufficient progress on climate change, can I become an eco-terrorist? And she said, ‘No’,” Saul says

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-27/saul-griffith-plan-to-rewire-australia/101762960

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 15:02:16
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999570
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


“Before we got married, I said to Arwen, half as a joke, you know if by 2020 the world hasn’t made sufficient progress on climate change, can I become an eco-terrorist? And she said, ‘No’,” Saul says

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-27/saul-griffith-plan-to-rewire-australia/101762960

Sibeen isn’t here to put shit on this story.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 15:04:12
From: buffy
ID: 1999571
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

This is apparently another of those leaf footed bugs. They must all go in for the tribal decoration.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 15:04:32
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999572
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

“Before we got married, I said to Arwen, half as a joke, you know if by 2020 the world hasn’t made sufficient progress on climate change, can I become an eco-terrorist? And she said, ‘No’,” Saul says

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-27/saul-griffith-plan-to-rewire-australia/101762960

Sibeen isn’t here to put shit on this story.

Well, provide critical input, at least :)

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 15:06:31
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999574
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

“Before we got married, I said to Arwen, half as a joke, you know if by 2020 the world hasn’t made sufficient progress on climate change, can I become an eco-terrorist? And she said, ‘No’,” Saul says

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-27/saul-griffith-plan-to-rewire-australia/101762960

Sibeen isn’t here to put shit on this story.

Yes, we’ve lost a knowledgeable and valuable voice of opinion on the practicality of the ideas of various wunderkind.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 15:10:44
From: Michael V
ID: 1999576
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


A few photos of these critters have been offered on iNaturalist lately. Very stunning insect. IDd so far as possibly Amorbus alternatus.


That’s a brightly coloured assassin bug.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 15:20:43
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1999585
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


This is apparently another of those leaf footed bugs. They must all go in for the tribal decoration.


Might be the same species.

http://esperancewildlife.blogspot.com/2009/03/clown-bug-amorbus-rubiginosus.html

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 15:23:06
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999588
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The head of Tasmania’s Environment Protection Authority has confirmed the state’s largest fish farmer tried to prevent a report on antibiotic use in its fish pens being released because it was ‘commercial in confidence’.
Key points:

The EPA says it did not have the power to release the report at the time but it does now The Tasmanian Greens have called for real-time reporting of antibiotic use in animal feed EPA Director Wes Ford described the risk to public health as “very low”

Right to Information documents obtained by the Tasmanian Inquirer suggest Tassal used over 600kgs of antibiotics to combat an outbreak of the bacterial vibrio disease at a lease near Coningham in January last year.

The documents show in the course of that inquiry, it was revealed Tassal earlier tried to block the release of information about the use of 1.3 tonnes of antibiotics at its Okehampton Bay leases, on the state’s east coast.

more

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-27/epa-tassal-salmon-farmer-antibiotic-report-release/102026738

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 15:27:21
From: buffy
ID: 1999591
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


buffy said:

This is apparently another of those leaf footed bugs. They must all go in for the tribal decoration.


Might be the same species.

http://esperancewildlife.blogspot.com/2009/03/clown-bug-amorbus-rubiginosus.html

Ah..stop it now! I’m not getting into insects. Until last night I thought I only had two species of Gahnia to recognize, but now I have to sit down and sort out 5 possibles at our block. I hadn’t worried about looking closely at them, thinking we only had G. radula and G. sieberiana – black seeds or red seeds! Now I have to go photographing the inflorescences more closely and the front and the back of the leaves and noting if the leaves are longer than the flower stems etc. I think insects might have to be my retirement thing in my next life.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 15:52:11
From: dv
ID: 1999610
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Client: You don’t need to keep really close minutes for this meeti g, haha.

Me: Okay, haha. (Presses record)

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 15:58:44
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999617
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

so

“Let me tell all the criminals: Police firepower is always higher than criminal firepower,” he said.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 16:09:45
From: dv
ID: 1999618
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:

so

“Let me tell all the criminals: Police firepower is always higher than criminal firepower,” he said.

(Laughs in Colombia)

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 16:23:43
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999621
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Wealthy orange couple, 1955. The Ronald Balcoms at “Windsong,” their home in Palm Beach, with their shiny new Thunderbird.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 16:34:04
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999627
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Receptionist at the health centre asked what had become of my “beautiful bike” – “You haven’t wrecked it have you??”

I explained that it’s still in one piece, just needs some repairs. And that I’m too heavy to ride it these days, need to lose a bit of weight before my cycling days begin anew.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 16:38:27
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999630
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Speaking of cars I’d better wash the Challenger before it goes in for a service on Thursday.
Confuses say “If vehicle not neat and tidy service may not be neat and tidy”

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 16:53:46
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999642
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 16:55:18
From: Woodie
ID: 1999643
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



Your pantry is much neater than mine, Ms Mum.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 16:56:39
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999644
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



Ta. The days when Rosella did such unexpected products as Lemon Pie Filling.

Going to be hard to choose an appropriate subfolder for that in Nostalgia/Printed Material/Foods.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 16:56:50
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999645
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



Deb, I were lad when Deb came out, can you still get Deb?

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 16:58:57
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999647
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:


Ta. The days when Rosella did such unexpected products as Lemon Pie Filling.

Going to be hard to choose an appropriate subfolder for that in Nostalgia/Printed Material/Foods.

Luckily there’s already a Nostalgia/Printed Material/Foods/Cake Mixes Etc :)

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:00:47
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999649
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


sarahs mum said:


Deb, I were lad when Deb came out, can you still get Deb?

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:03:39
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999651
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


sarahs mum said:


Deb, I were lad when Deb came out, can you still get Deb?

i did like triple treat ice creams.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:04:37
From: buffy
ID: 1999653
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


sarahs mum said:


Deb, I were lad when Deb came out, can you still get Deb?

Yes. And there is another brand too – Continental. Deb seems very, very salty to me these days. Sometimes I’d make up some for lunch when I was working. It was quick and easy.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:05:30
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1999654
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



What was the surprise with the peas?

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:07:12
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999657
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

>>Was I always Tamb?

You were initially Tam but when you decided to become an intellectual you added the silent b.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:09:40
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999659
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


sarahs mum said:


What was the surprise with the peas?

They were/are dried peas which surprisingly turn into fresh-looking peas when boiling water is added.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:10:29
From: buffy
ID: 1999660
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


sarahs mum said:


What was the surprise with the peas?

That dehydrated peas could actually taste like peas? I like rehydrated surprise peas. The peas and carrot and the peas and corn aren’t bad either.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:10:39
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999661
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


AussieDJ said:

sarahs mum said:


What was the surprise with the peas?

They were/are dried peas which surprisingly turn into fresh-looking peas when boiling water is added.

Golly!

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:12:11
From: Tamb
ID: 1999663
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


>>Was I always Tamb?

You were initially Tam but when you decided to become an intellectual you added the silent b.


Thanks
They are both abbreviations of Tamburlaine, that well known 12th century philanthropist.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:13:09
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999664
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

AussieDJ said:

What was the surprise with the peas?

They were/are dried peas which surprisingly turn into fresh-looking peas when boiling water is added.

Golly!

Wonders of the modern world.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:13:34
From: btm
ID: 1999665
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I asked the maid, in dulcet tone, to order me a buttered scone.
The wretched girl has been and gone and ordered me a buttered scone.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:13:41
From: dv
ID: 1999666
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m adjusting to Türkiye but the ABC announcers pronounce it Tokia.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:16:18
From: buffy
ID: 1999667
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The second part of the Loch Ness monster doco is on SBS one tonight. It was better than I expected it to be last week.

Monster: The Mystery Of Loch Ness

Monday, 27 Feb

8:30 PM – 9:30 PM

pg

Recent eyewitness footage of the Loch Ness Monster shows that we are still as obsessed today as ever with the existence of the beast. Yet, over the past few decades two of the most iconic photos of the monster – the ‘Flipper Photo’ and the ‘Surgeon’s Photo’ – are proven to be fake. Despite this, the world still craves more evidence, and millions make the pilgrimage each year to the loch’s shores to catch a glimpse of the beast. Recent DNA analysis taken in 2019 has suggested the monster could be a giant eel – which ties in with sightings as far back as the 1930s. Today the ‘Loch Ness Monster’ is ingrained into the culture of the Highlands and the world. It’s a mystery that we can never let go.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:17:01
From: Tamb
ID: 1999668
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I’m adjusting to Türkiye but the ABC announcers pronounce it Tokia.

Prolly one of their ESL work experience people.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:17:02
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999669
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I’m adjusting to Türkiye but the ABC announcers pronounce it Tokia.

I’ll continue calling it Toorrrrrrk-kye.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:19:30
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999670
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


The second part of the Loch Ness monster doco is on SBS one tonight. It was better than I expected it to be last week.

Monster: The Mystery Of Loch Ness

Monday, 27 Feb

8:30 PM – 9:30 PM

pg

Recent eyewitness footage of the Loch Ness Monster shows that we are still as obsessed today as ever with the existence of the beast. Yet, over the past few decades two of the most iconic photos of the monster – the ‘Flipper Photo’ and the ‘Surgeon’s Photo’ – are proven to be fake. Despite this, the world still craves more evidence, and millions make the pilgrimage each year to the loch’s shores to catch a glimpse of the beast. Recent DNA analysis taken in 2019 has suggested the monster could be a giant eel – which ties in with sightings as far back as the 1930s. Today the ‘Loch Ness Monster’ is ingrained into the culture of the Highlands and the world. It’s a mystery that we can never let go.

The Scots who have seen it, those who have witnessed it, they believe.
But how great are those who have not seen it and yet believe.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:19:56
From: Tamb
ID: 1999672
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


The second part of the Loch Ness monster doco is on SBS one tonight. It was better than I expected it to be last week.

Monster: The Mystery Of Loch Ness

Monday, 27 Feb

8:30 PM – 9:30 PM

pg

Recent eyewitness footage of the Loch Ness Monster shows that we are still as obsessed today as ever with the existence of the beast. Yet, over the past few decades two of the most iconic photos of the monster – the ‘Flipper Photo’ and the ‘Surgeon’s Photo’ – are proven to be fake. Despite this, the world still craves more evidence, and millions make the pilgrimage each year to the loch’s shores to catch a glimpse of the beast. Recent DNA analysis taken in 2019 has suggested the monster could be a giant eel – which ties in with sightings as far back as the 1930s. Today the ‘Loch Ness Monster’ is ingrained into the culture of the Highlands and the world. It’s a mystery that we can never let go.


The best thing I saw on Loch Ness was a full size trebuchet. It enabled me to build a working scale model when I returned home.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:22:38
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1999673
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I’m adjusting to Türkiye but the ABC announcers pronounce it Tokia.

https://www2b.c0.abc.net.au/abcpronunciation-external/Search.aspx#?S=T%C3%BCrkiye

From that site:

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:22:38
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1999674
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

My cousin went to Turkey a few months ago, to get a hair transplant. He’s so vain he thinks this post is about him.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:22:59
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999675
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


buffy said:

The second part of the Loch Ness monster doco is on SBS one tonight. It was better than I expected it to be last week.

Monster: The Mystery Of Loch Ness

Monday, 27 Feb

8:30 PM – 9:30 PM

pg

Recent eyewitness footage of the Loch Ness Monster shows that we are still as obsessed today as ever with the existence of the beast. Yet, over the past few decades two of the most iconic photos of the monster – the ‘Flipper Photo’ and the ‘Surgeon’s Photo’ – are proven to be fake. Despite this, the world still craves more evidence, and millions make the pilgrimage each year to the loch’s shores to catch a glimpse of the beast. Recent DNA analysis taken in 2019 has suggested the monster could be a giant eel – which ties in with sightings as far back as the 1930s. Today the ‘Loch Ness Monster’ is ingrained into the culture of the Highlands and the world. It’s a mystery that we can never let go.

The Scots who have seen it, those who have witnessed it, they believe.
But how great are those who have not seen it and yet believe.

John 20:29

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:25:00
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999678
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


My cousin went to Turkey a few months ago, to get a hair transplant. He’s so vain he thinks this post is about him.

yeah yeah

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:27:10
From: buffy
ID: 1999680
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


My cousin went to Turkey a few months ago, to get a hair transplant. He’s so vain he thinks this post is about him.

You know, you almost deserve me going and finding a pretty spider photo to put up here…

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:29:27
From: Tamb
ID: 1999683
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Divine Angel said:

My cousin went to Turkey a few months ago, to get a hair transplant. He’s so vain he thinks this post is about him.

yeah yeah

A hairy post

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:31:26
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999684
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Divine Angel said:

My cousin went to Turkey a few months ago, to get a hair transplant. He’s so vain he thinks this post is about him.

yeah yeah

A hairy post

Well it isn’t a rolling stone because it has some moss on it.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:34:56
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999686
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Well that’s more than nine hours for ten minutes getting needles stuck in my neck. Living in the bush can be a lot of fun.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:35:57
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999687
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Divine Angel said:

My cousin went to Turkey a few months ago, to get a hair transplant. He’s so vain he thinks this post is about him.

You know, you almost deserve me going and finding a pretty spider photo to put up here…

Now now. Don’t scare her away yet. She’s only been back five minutes.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:37:31
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999688
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


The second part of the Loch Ness monster doco is on SBS one tonight. It was better than I expected it to be last week.

Monster: The Mystery Of Loch Ness

Monday, 27 Feb

8:30 PM – 9:30 PM

pg

Recent eyewitness footage of the Loch Ness Monster shows that we are still as obsessed today as ever with the existence of the beast. Yet, over the past few decades two of the most iconic photos of the monster – the ‘Flipper Photo’ and the ‘Surgeon’s Photo’ – are proven to be fake. Despite this, the world still craves more evidence, and millions make the pilgrimage each year to the loch’s shores to catch a glimpse of the beast. Recent DNA analysis taken in 2019 has suggested the monster could be a giant eel – which ties in with sightings as far back as the 1930s. Today the ‘Loch Ness Monster’ is ingrained into the culture of the Highlands and the world. It’s a mystery that we can never let go.

Well, I always reckoned it was a crock.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:38:14
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999689
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


AussieDJ said:

sarahs mum said:


What was the surprise with the peas?

They were/are dried peas which surprisingly turn into fresh-looking peas when boiling water is added.

The image somewhat dissipated when you put them in your mouth.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:39:22
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999693
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


I’m adjusting to Türkiye but the ABC announcers pronounce it Tokia.

It’s prolly that plum in the mouth.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:40:51
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999695
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Peak Warming Man said:

sarahs mum said:


Deb, I were lad when Deb came out, can you still get Deb?

Yes. And there is another brand too – Continental. Deb seems very, very salty to me these days. Sometimes I’d make up some for lunch when I was working. It was quick and easy.

I used to live on deb and surprise peas with my polystyrene wrapped steak. Until I became ill and had to change my diet.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:42:54
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1999699
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11920-022-01382-9

Link

Published: 17 November 2022
Involuntary Celibacy: A Review of Incel Ideology and Experiences with Dating, Rejection, and Associated Mental Health and Emotional Sequelae
Brandon Sparks, Alexandra M. Zidenberg & Mark E. Olver

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:56:28
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999706
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Well this morning I found four mouse poos in the kitchen, so the cloves haven’t exactly scared them off the premises. No poos on the pooter desk this time though.

They’ve failed to heed the warning shots so I’ll be setting traps today.

Nah get yoursef a four ten shotty.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:58:45
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1999707
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

Well this morning I found four mouse poos in the kitchen, so the cloves haven’t exactly scared them off the premises. No poos on the pooter desk this time though.

They’ve failed to heed the warning shots so I’ll be setting traps today.

Nah get yoursef a four ten shotty.

full auto sawn off .22 with a 20 round mag.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 17:59:12
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1999708
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

Well this morning I found four mouse poos in the kitchen, so the cloves haven’t exactly scared them off the premises. No poos on the pooter desk this time though.

They’ve failed to heed the warning shots so I’ll be setting traps today.

Nah get yoursef a four ten shotty.

full auto sawn off .22 with a 20 round mag.

with rat shot.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 18:03:45
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999709
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Woodie said:

Divine Angel said:

Funny story, because we all need a giggle.

So there’s a dumbarse school mum who parks in the bus stop right outside the school at drop off and pick up. It’s not a shove-the-kid-out-the-door situation, she gets out of the car and walks her precious angel to class, so she’s gone for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Right in the bus stop. Parents have told her off. Bus drivers have told her off. School staff have told her off. She ignores everyone. I know people have reported her, several times. She’s taken to dropping off and picking up 10 minutes late to avoid the rush where she’s more likely to be told off.

This morning I thought it was two security guards but they were council law enforcers (that’s a thing?) and I asked them if they were there for this dumbarse. “We can’t confirm… yes, we are. Do you know when she usually arrives?” I told them all I know, including the number plate, make and colour of the car, what she looks like.

Dunno if they got her, I walked around the block and couldn’t see them when I drove out.

Ring “A Current Affair” . They’ll sort he out quick smart. That sorta thing is right up their alley.

Enough strong people could pick up her car and put it between two objects that don’t move

Buses parked bumper to bumper both ends.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 18:06:44
From: Cymek
ID: 1999710
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

Well this morning I found four mouse poos in the kitchen, so the cloves haven’t exactly scared them off the premises. No poos on the pooter desk this time though.

They’ve failed to heed the warning shots so I’ll be setting traps today.

Nah get yoursef a four ten shotty.

full auto sawn off .22 with a 20 round mag.

Drink first it improves aim

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 18:06:55
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1999711
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Cymek said:

Woodie said:

Ring “A Current Affair” . They’ll sort he out quick smart. That sorta thing is right up their alley.

Enough strong people could pick up her car and put it between two objects that don’t move

Buses parked bumper to bumper both ends.

I suggested a tow truck, take it away for an hour or so

then bring it back after she has had a good talking to.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 18:20:06
From: transition
ID: 1999718
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

armarnarmarnar

ancient chant announcing dinner preparation

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 18:23:48
From: transition
ID: 1999719
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

maybe a poem’s in order
feels an urge
yeah a rhymely motivator
wordly surge
from here alphabet puker

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 18:25:59
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999720
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


ChrispenEvan said:

roughbarked said:

Nah get yoursef a four ten shotty.

full auto sawn off .22 with a 20 round mag.

Drink first it improves aim

Creates that shothole effect.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 18:26:54
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999721
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Interviewer-: I’m with the Rev. Two Post Dodgson the famous structural engineer.
Interviewer- So Two Post when did you first get the nickname Two Posts?
The Rev Dodgson-: Well it’s really not important, I’m here to talk about my book ‘Modular Concrete Construction’
Interviewer-: Of course Two Posts, were right up against the News so we’ll be back after that to talk about how you got that epithet.
Interviewer: Thanks Roger in the Newsroom, unfortunatly we seem to have lost Two Posts.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 18:28:00
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999722
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


maybe a poem’s in order
feels an urge
yeah a rhymely motivator
wordly surge
from here alphabet puker

That didn’t quite harmonise harmonize er … cause any harm.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 19:08:21
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999726
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

So what does ‘commercial in confidence’ actually mean?
Salmon farm

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 19:16:37
From: buffy
ID: 1999727
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

It looks like some of the mantises do tribal markings too.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 19:30:03
From: Michael V
ID: 1999728
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


So what does ‘commercial in confidence’ actually mean?
Salmon farm

Business-sensitive information. Typically to give a commercial edge, and usually shared with another party who is not permitted to use or disclose that information without authority. It is a standard business practice.

For instance, I might give the geological data of my company to a specialist geological modeller so I can use his expertise to model the ore body. I would tell him that the data is commercial in confidence, but authorise him to use it only for the modelling and no other purpose.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 19:35:19
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999730
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 19:36:06
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999731
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


roughbarked said:

So what does ‘commercial in confidence’ actually mean?
Salmon farm

Business-sensitive information. Typically to give a commercial edge, and usually shared with another party who is not permitted to use or disclose that information without authority. It is a standard business practice.

For instance, I might give the geological data of my company to a specialist geological modeller so I can use his expertise to model the ore body. I would tell him that the data is commercial in confidence, but authorise him to use it only for the modelling and no other purpose.

OK. Thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 19:37:51
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999732
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

So what does ‘commercial in confidence’ actually mean?
Salmon farm

Business-sensitive information. Typically to give a commercial edge, and usually shared with another party who is not permitted to use or disclose that information without authority. It is a standard business practice.

For instance, I might give the geological data of my company to a specialist geological modeller so I can use his expertise to model the ore body. I would tell him that the data is commercial in confidence, but authorise him to use it only for the modelling and no other purpose.

OK. Thanks.

In Tasmania it means a cover up.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 19:39:18
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999734
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



FMD.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 19:40:22
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999735
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


sarahs mum said:


FMD.

kill me now.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 19:41:26
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1999736
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

stumpy will be rolling in his grave.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 19:43:45
From: dv
ID: 1999738
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


captain_spalding said:

sarahs mum said:


FMD.

kill me now.

Are Federal redevelopment funds aiding this museum…

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 19:45:44
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999739
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


sarahs mum said:

captain_spalding said:

FMD.

kill me now.

Are Federal redevelopment funds aiding this museum…

Probably worth looking into.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 19:48:37
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999742
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



Hey, ‘Creation Discovery Centre’:

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 19:52:34
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999743
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



Fact or Fantasy, be worth reading to see what they came up with.
To see whether they have approached it with an open mind and not only looked at the science but the cultural truth telling from unwritten events passed down over thousands of years.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 19:55:54
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999744
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


sarahs mum said:


Fact or Fantasy, be worth reading to see what they came up with.
To see whether they have approached it with an open mind and not only looked at the science but the cultural truth telling from unwritten events passed down over thousands of years.

From the front page of their website (https://creationdiscoverycentre.com/):

‘The Creation Discovery Centre Tasmania has been established to present scientific and Biblical evidence that the history of the world is as described in the most amazing book ever written, the Bible.

Our beautifully laid out museum challenges the current widely held notion that life on earth is the result of millions of years of random chance evolution. Open-minded enquirers will learn the solid case for God’s purposeful design in nature, as was understood by some of the greatest scientific minds that have ever lived.

It is time that some balance was brought back into the discussion on origins, as scientific advances continue to discover the intricate complexity of life that confounds outdated theories, such as Darwinian evolution.

We are here to do that, and our intention is to continue to grow the attraction to help people discover the truth of why life exists on earth.’

Sorry, PWM, looks like it’s a ‘no’ on that one.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 19:59:23
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999746
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Peak Warming Man said:

sarahs mum said:


Fact or Fantasy, be worth reading to see what they came up with.
To see whether they have approached it with an open mind and not only looked at the science but the cultural truth telling from unwritten events passed down over thousands of years.

From the front page of their website (https://creationdiscoverycentre.com/):

‘The Creation Discovery Centre Tasmania has been established to present scientific and Biblical evidence that the history of the world is as described in the most amazing book ever written, the Bible.

Our beautifully laid out museum challenges the current widely held notion that life on earth is the result of millions of years of random chance evolution. Open-minded enquirers will learn the solid case for God’s purposeful design in nature, as was understood by some of the greatest scientific minds that have ever lived.

It is time that some balance was brought back into the discussion on origins, as scientific advances continue to discover the intricate complexity of life that confounds outdated theories, such as Darwinian evolution.

We are here to do that, and our intention is to continue to grow the attraction to help people discover the truth of why life exists on earth.’

Sorry, PWM, looks like it’s a ‘no’ on that one.

Bugger.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:09:21
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999748
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News:

‘Sydney mayor’s luxury expenses ‘out of step with community expectations’, inquiry finds
By Heath Parkes-Hupton
A NSW upper house inquiry recommends a review of expenditure guidelines after the Canterbury-Bankstown mayor was reimbursed for a massage, clothes and alcohol bought overseas.’

It’s Canterbury-Bankstown. Local government of crooks, by crooks, for crooks, to borrow from Mr. Lincoln.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:15:57
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999749
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


ABC News:

‘Sydney mayor’s luxury expenses ‘out of step with community expectations’, inquiry finds
By Heath Parkes-Hupton
A NSW upper house inquiry recommends a review of expenditure guidelines after the Canterbury-Bankstown mayor was reimbursed for a massage, clothes and alcohol bought overseas.’

It’s Canterbury-Bankstown. Local government of crooks, by crooks, for crooks, to borrow from Mr. Lincoln.

hey didn’t they have something like that in Lidcombe before

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:23:59
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999750
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Peak Warming Man said:

sarahs mum said:


Fact or Fantasy, be worth reading to see what they came up with.
To see whether they have approached it with an open mind and not only looked at the science but the cultural truth telling from unwritten events passed down over thousands of years.

From the front page of their website (https://creationdiscoverycentre.com/):

‘The Creation Discovery Centre Tasmania has been established to present scientific and Biblical evidence that the history of the world is as described in the most amazing book ever written, the Bible.

Our beautifully laid out museum challenges the current widely held notion that life on earth is the result of millions of years of random chance evolution. Open-minded enquirers will learn the solid case for God’s purposeful design in nature, as was understood by some of the greatest scientific minds that have ever lived.

It is time that some balance was brought back into the discussion on origins, as scientific advances continue to discover the intricate complexity of life that confounds outdated theories, such as Darwinian evolution.

We are here to do that, and our intention is to continue to grow the attraction to help people discover the truth of why life exists on earth.’

Sorry, PWM, looks like it’s a ‘no’ on that one.

Probably a brethren thing.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:29:15
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999751
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


captain_spalding said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Fact or Fantasy, be worth reading to see what they came up with.
To see whether they have approached it with an open mind and not only looked at the science but the cultural truth telling from unwritten events passed down over thousands of years.

From the front page of their website (https://creationdiscoverycentre.com/):

‘The Creation Discovery Centre Tasmania has been established to present scientific and Biblical evidence that the history of the world is as described in the most amazing book ever written, the Bible.

Our beautifully laid out museum challenges the current widely held notion that life on earth is the result of millions of years of random chance evolution. Open-minded enquirers will learn the solid case for God’s purposeful design in nature, as was understood by some of the greatest scientific minds that have ever lived.

It is time that some balance was brought back into the discussion on origins, as scientific advances continue to discover the intricate complexity of life that confounds outdated theories, such as Darwinian evolution.

We are here to do that, and our intention is to continue to grow the attraction to help people discover the truth of why life exists on earth.’

Sorry, PWM, looks like it’s a ‘no’ on that one.

Probably a brethren thing.

I’m still rolling this phrase around in my tiny brainspace.. Nup it is a jigsaw component that just doesn’t match any gap.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:29:39
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999752
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

captain_spalding said:

From the front page of their website (https://creationdiscoverycentre.com/):

‘The Creation Discovery Centre Tasmania has been established to present scientific and Biblical evidence that the history of the world is as described in the most amazing book ever written, the Bible.

Our beautifully laid out museum challenges the current widely held notion that life on earth is the result of millions of years of random chance evolution. Open-minded enquirers will learn the solid case for God’s purposeful design in nature, as was understood by some of the greatest scientific minds that have ever lived.

It is time that some balance was brought back into the discussion on origins, as scientific advances continue to discover the intricate complexity of life that confounds outdated theories, such as Darwinian evolution.

We are here to do that, and our intention is to continue to grow the attraction to help people discover the truth of why life exists on earth.’

Sorry, PWM, looks like it’s a ‘no’ on that one.

Probably a brethren thing.

I’m still rolling this phrase around in my tiny brainspace.. Nup it is a jigsaw component that just doesn’t match any gap.

The phrase?
“Open-minded enquirers will learn the solid case for God’s purposeful design in nature, as was understood by some of the greatest scientific minds that have ever lived.”.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:33:09
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999753
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


roughbarked said:

sarahs mum said:

Probably a brethren thing.

I’m still rolling this phrase around in my tiny brainspace.. Nup it is a jigsaw component that just doesn’t match any gap.

The phrase?
“Open-minded enquirers will learn the solid case for God’s purposeful design in nature, as was understood by some of the greatest scientific minds that have ever lived.”.

salad.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:35:32
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999754
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

I’m still rolling this phrase around in my tiny brainspace.. Nup it is a jigsaw component that just doesn’t match any gap.

The phrase?
“Open-minded enquirers will learn the solid case for God’s purposeful design in nature, as was understood by some of the greatest scientific minds that have ever lived.”.

salad.

By that are you implying that the argument lacks meat?

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:37:41
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999756
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:38:00
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999757
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

roughbarked said:

The phrase?
“Open-minded enquirers will learn the solid case for God’s purposeful design in nature, as was understood by some of the greatest scientific minds that have ever lived.”.

salad.

By that are you implying that the argument lacks meat?

What Would Caesar Do

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:42:05
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999758
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


roughbarked said:

sarahs mum said:

salad.

By that are you implying that the argument lacks meat?

What Would Caesar Do

Add croutons.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:42:26
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999759
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


roughbarked said:

sarahs mum said:

salad.

By that are you implying that the argument lacks meat?

What Would Caesar Do

Et tu brute?

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:47:44
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999760
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

well we all laughed at fruit vegetable shortages in UK but then

Scott’s Refrigerated Logistics, which counts Coles among its grocery and food and beverage clients, has entered voluntary administration.

lol

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:49:24
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999761
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

SCIENCE said:


well we all laughed at fruit vegetable shortages in UK but then

Scott’s Refrigerated Logistics, which counts Coles among its grocery and food and beverage clients, has entered voluntary administration.

lol

Apparently they weren’t their biggest suppplier?

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:53:09
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999762
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



In the end the Queen saved the day, on an elephant.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:54:10
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999763
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Been playing some loud minor key banjo. Now it’s time for some quiet reading in the living room.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:56:30
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999764
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

My day.

I woke up to a Facebook message from Margaret the mad.

‘OMG. Have you heard the news!’

No I have heard no news. What is the news?

Brett’s daughter Sarah has had a stroke and she is paralysed on one side of her body. did anyone tell you?

No one tells me anything. I am shit.

So I tried to digest that news. Brett’s sarah rows and kayaks and walks and is a mostly vegetarian. Two kids under 12. I have not seen her for years but I did devote a lot of years into her and bought her stuff and took her on holidays and piad for her piano lessons. so I cried for a few hours and resolved that I would wait a while and then contact her hubby tonight.

Later in the afternoon Margaret got back to me. She’d made a mistake. It wasn’t Sarah. It was Emma.

So i tried to reset my grief.

I feeling fucked now.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:57:49
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999765
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


My day.

I woke up to a Facebook message from Margaret the mad.

‘OMG. Have you heard the news!’

No I have heard no news. What is the news?

Brett’s daughter Sarah has had a stroke and she is paralysed on one side of her body. did anyone tell you?

No one tells me anything. I am shit.

So I tried to digest that news. Brett’s sarah rows and kayaks and walks and is a mostly vegetarian. Two kids under 12. I have not seen her for years but I did devote a lot of years into her and bought her stuff and took her on holidays and piad for her piano lessons. so I cried for a few hours and resolved that I would wait a while and then contact her hubby tonight.

Later in the afternoon Margaret got back to me. She’d made a mistake. It wasn’t Sarah. It was Emma.

So i tried to reset my grief.

I feeling fucked now.

emma does not have a life partner. Her kids are a bit older. I suppose at least Sue is there now to help out.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:58:07
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999766
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:

My day.

I woke up to a Facebook message from Margaret the mad.

‘OMG. Have you heard the news!’

No I have heard no news. What is the news?

Brett’s daughter Sarah has had a stroke and she is paralysed on one side of her body. did anyone tell you?

No one tells me anything. I am shit.

So I tried to digest that news. Brett’s sarah rows and kayaks and walks and is a mostly vegetarian. Two kids under 12. I have not seen her for years but I did devote a lot of years into her and bought her stuff and took her on holidays and piad for her piano lessons. so I cried for a few hours and resolved that I would wait a while and then contact her hubby tonight.

Later in the afternoon Margaret got back to me. She’d made a mistake. It wasn’t Sarah. It was Emma.

So i tried to reset my grief.

I feeling fucked now.

we’re sorry

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 20:58:46
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999767
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

My day.

I woke up to a Facebook message from Margaret the mad.

‘OMG. Have you heard the news!’

No I have heard no news. What is the news?

Brett’s daughter Sarah has had a stroke and she is paralysed on one side of her body. did anyone tell you?

No one tells me anything. I am shit.

So I tried to digest that news. Brett’s sarah rows and kayaks and walks and is a mostly vegetarian. Two kids under 12. I have not seen her for years but I did devote a lot of years into her and bought her stuff and took her on holidays and piad for her piano lessons. so I cried for a few hours and resolved that I would wait a while and then contact her hubby tonight.

Later in the afternoon Margaret got back to me. She’d made a mistake. It wasn’t Sarah. It was Emma.

So i tried to reset my grief.

I feeling fucked now.

emma does not have a life partner. Her kids are a bit older. I suppose at least Sue is there now to help out.

Good that someone can help out. Margaret seems to be no help to anyone at all.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 21:02:02
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999768
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


sarahs mum said:

My day.

I woke up to a Facebook message from Margaret the mad.

‘OMG. Have you heard the news!’

No I have heard no news. What is the news?

Brett’s daughter Sarah has had a stroke and she is paralysed on one side of her body. did anyone tell you?

No one tells me anything. I am shit.

So I tried to digest that news. Brett’s sarah rows and kayaks and walks and is a mostly vegetarian. Two kids under 12. I have not seen her for years but I did devote a lot of years into her and bought her stuff and took her on holidays and piad for her piano lessons. so I cried for a few hours and resolved that I would wait a while and then contact her hubby tonight.

Later in the afternoon Margaret got back to me. She’d made a mistake. It wasn’t Sarah. It was Emma.

So i tried to reset my grief.

I feeling fucked now.

emma does not have a life partner. Her kids are a bit older. I suppose at least Sue is there now to help out.

Sympathies. That’s bad news but Margaret might be exaggerating, whoever the victim is.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 21:07:01
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999769
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


sarahs mum said:

sarahs mum said:

My day.

I woke up to a Facebook message from Margaret the mad.

‘OMG. Have you heard the news!’

No I have heard no news. What is the news?

Brett’s daughter Sarah has had a stroke and she is paralysed on one side of her body. did anyone tell you?

No one tells me anything. I am shit.

So I tried to digest that news. Brett’s sarah rows and kayaks and walks and is a mostly vegetarian. Two kids under 12. I have not seen her for years but I did devote a lot of years into her and bought her stuff and took her on holidays and piad for her piano lessons. so I cried for a few hours and resolved that I would wait a while and then contact her hubby tonight.

Later in the afternoon Margaret got back to me. She’d made a mistake. It wasn’t Sarah. It was Emma.

So i tried to reset my grief.

I feeling fucked now.

emma does not have a life partner. Her kids are a bit older. I suppose at least Sue is there now to help out.

Good that someone can help out. Margaret seems to be no help to anyone at all.

including herself.

My sarah contacted me about half an hour ago to tell me. I gave her a lecture at christmas about how I needed more from her. She has not visited. I know she has travelled past here to visit Tim’s parents. When Tim’s mum posts pics of the kids on facebook I feel sad. The only in depth conversation we have had this year has been me explaining how to order a side of beef cut up. i am useful for something.

so I told her about Sibeen. I chucked an Audrey and told her that it could be that one day she wakes up to find me gone.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 21:08:00
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999770
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


My day.

I woke up to a Facebook message from Margaret the mad.

‘OMG. Have you heard the news!’

No I have heard no news. What is the news?

Brett’s daughter Sarah has had a stroke and she is paralysed on one side of her body. did anyone tell you?

No one tells me anything. I am shit.

So I tried to digest that news. Brett’s sarah rows and kayaks and walks and is a mostly vegetarian. Two kids under 12. I have not seen her for years but I did devote a lot of years into her and bought her stuff and took her on holidays and piad for her piano lessons. so I cried for a few hours and resolved that I would wait a while and then contact her hubby tonight.

Later in the afternoon Margaret got back to me. She’d made a mistake. It wasn’t Sarah. It was Emma.

So i tried to reset my grief.

I feeling fucked now.

You need to divest yourself of this Margaret.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 21:13:36
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999773
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


sarahs mum said:

My day.

I woke up to a Facebook message from Margaret the mad.

‘OMG. Have you heard the news!’

No I have heard no news. What is the news?

Brett’s daughter Sarah has had a stroke and she is paralysed on one side of her body. did anyone tell you?

No one tells me anything. I am shit.

So I tried to digest that news. Brett’s sarah rows and kayaks and walks and is a mostly vegetarian. Two kids under 12. I have not seen her for years but I did devote a lot of years into her and bought her stuff and took her on holidays and piad for her piano lessons. so I cried for a few hours and resolved that I would wait a while and then contact her hubby tonight.

Later in the afternoon Margaret got back to me. She’d made a mistake. It wasn’t Sarah. It was Emma.

So i tried to reset my grief.

I feeling fucked now.

You need to divest yourself of this Margaret.

she’s a difficult project to work on.

Aside from that. thank you again forum for being there for me. You’re all the best. I appreciate you all.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 21:32:06
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999775
Subject: re: Chat February 2023


Hoe Street, Walthomstow, mid 1970s

that’s gotta be an odd.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 21:34:35
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999776
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



Hoe Street, Walthomstow, mid 1970s

that’s gotta be an odd.

Ha :)

In Odd it goes. Wonder what the story behind that was.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 21:38:00
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1999777
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:


Hoe Street, Walthomstow, mid 1970s

that’s gotta be an odd.

Ha :)

In Odd it goes. Wonder what the story behind that was.

They were the Box Tops. The inspiration for The Beatles Abbey Road cover art.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 21:46:28
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999778
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:


Hoe Street, Walthomstow, mid 1970s

that’s gotta be an odd.

Ha :)

In Odd it goes. Wonder what the story behind that was.

They were the Box Tops. The inspiration for The Beatles Abbey Road cover art.

that would make it earlier than mid 1970s.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 21:47:38
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999779
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Architects have taken to Twitter to insist that bands “protest” against venues that have a policy of gaining merch cuts from artists’ sales.

Drummer Dan Searle wrote, “Hey @bands when are we gonna go on strike and get rid of these insane venue merch cuts? Or maybe we don’t play until we get a cut of the bar? Can we just get this done asap please?”

The band’s vocalist, Sam Carter, shared the post and claimed, “Venue in Melbourne took 15% and it took four hours for them to get our merch girl a light,” accompanied by a thumbs-up emoji.

https://themusic.com.au/news/band-blasts-aus-venues-taking-merch-sales-cut/nlK6sLOytbQ/21-02-23

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 22:01:13
From: transition
ID: 1999782
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Cab_to_Darwin_(film)

watching^, not seen

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 22:03:29
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999784
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Cab_to_Darwin_(film)

watching^, not seen

good flick/

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 22:28:50
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1999785
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


AussieDJ said:

Bubblecar said:

Ha :)

In Odd it goes. Wonder what the story behind that was.

They were the Box Tops. The inspiration for The Beatles Abbey Road cover art.

that would make it earlier than mid 1970s.

P’raps I should have added a :) to my comment.

What’s more, I’ll add another!

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 22:30:51
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999786
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


sarahs mum said:

AussieDJ said:

They were the Box Tops. The inspiration for The Beatles Abbey Road cover art.

that would make it earlier than mid 1970s.

P’raps I should have added a :) to my comment.

What’s more, I’ll add another!

:)

i’m gullible.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 22:40:10
From: transition
ID: 1999788
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


transition said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Cab_to_Darwin_(film)

watching^, not seen

good flick/

it’s good, a gem

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 22:42:12
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1999789
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


AussieDJ said:

sarahs mum said:

that would make it earlier than mid 1970s.

P’raps I should have added a :) to my comment.

What’s more, I’ll add another!

:)

i’m gullible.


Not really.

You’re a bit distracted by the goings-on around you earlier today.

Otherwise, you would have picked it immediately!

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 22:43:27
From: sarahs mum
ID: 1999790
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


sarahs mum said:

AussieDJ said:

P’raps I should have added a :) to my comment.

What’s more, I’ll add another!

:)

i’m gullible.


Not really.

You’re a bit distracted by the goings-on around you earlier today.

Otherwise, you would have picked it immediately!

no. I’m gullible.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 22:58:19
From: PermeateFree
ID: 1999791
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


PermeateFree said:

buffy said:

This is apparently another of those leaf footed bugs. They must all go in for the tribal decoration.


Might be the same species.

http://esperancewildlife.blogspot.com/2009/03/clown-bug-amorbus-rubiginosus.html

Ah..stop it now! I’m not getting into insects. Until last night I thought I only had two species of Gahnia to recognize, but now I have to sit down and sort out 5 possibles at our block. I hadn’t worried about looking closely at them, thinking we only had G. radula and G. sieberiana – black seeds or red seeds! Now I have to go photographing the inflorescences more closely and the front and the back of the leaves and noting if the leaves are longer than the flower stems etc. I think insects might have to be my retirement thing in my next life.

:)
Casual observation is rarely enough when identifying nature. Fun though once you get into it as long as you appreciate that you will only ever be scratching the surface.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 23:05:21
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999794
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

PermeateFree said:


buffy said:

PermeateFree said:

Might be the same species.

http://esperancewildlife.blogspot.com/2009/03/clown-bug-amorbus-rubiginosus.html

Ah..stop it now! I’m not getting into insects. Until last night I thought I only had two species of Gahnia to recognize, but now I have to sit down and sort out 5 possibles at our block. I hadn’t worried about looking closely at them, thinking we only had G. radula and G. sieberiana – black seeds or red seeds! Now I have to go photographing the inflorescences more closely and the front and the back of the leaves and noting if the leaves are longer than the flower stems etc. I think insects might have to be my retirement thing in my next life.

:)
Casual observation is rarely enough when identifying nature. Fun though once you get into it as long as you appreciate that you will only ever be scratching the surface.

:)
This is life as we know it.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 23:26:20
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1999801
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Ordered one of these to go with my surf rod.

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C Baitcast Reel 7000

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 23:27:11
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999803
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Ordered one of these to go with my surf rod.

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C Baitcast Reel 7000


Looks shmick.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/02/2023 23:32:20
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999805
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Ordered one of these to go with my surf rod.

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C Baitcast Reel 7000


Don’t wade in too far to get that pilchard out there and watch out for rips.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 00:19:31
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999843
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

No ‘dles for me tonight, I’m too pleasantly mellow to shift the brian into that space.

I’ve been reading Shirley Jackson short stories while listening to Robert Barto playing Weiss, sipping wine and whisky and sampling fine cheese and grapes.

And also exploring a very detailed vista of a lonely lake on Titan, viewed through drifting clouds, on the side of the adjacent armchair.

I took some snaps that will serve as the basis for a very evocative painting.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 00:23:57
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999848
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m having a couple of best extra stouts in memory of another stout yoeman.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 00:28:04
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999853
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


No ‘dles for me tonight, I’m too pleasantly mellow to shift the brian into that space.

I’ve been reading Shirley Jackson short stories while listening to Robert Barto playing Weiss, sipping wine and whisky and sampling fine cheese and grapes.

And also exploring a very detailed vista of a lonely lake on Titan, viewed through drifting clouds, on the side of the adjacent armchair.

I took some snaps that will serve as the basis for a very evocative painting.

>on the side of the adjacent armchair.

…i.e., velour-type upholstery that accumulates detailed differences in light reflection from being rubbed against hither and yon, creating all kinds of vistas for the imaginatively minded.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 00:28:52
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999854
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

No ‘dles for me tonight, I’m too pleasantly mellow to shift the brian into that space.

I’ve been reading Shirley Jackson short stories while listening to Robert Barto playing Weiss, sipping wine and whisky and sampling fine cheese and grapes.

And also exploring a very detailed vista of a lonely lake on Titan, viewed through drifting clouds, on the side of the adjacent armchair.

I took some snaps that will serve as the basis for a very evocative painting.

>on the side of the adjacent armchair.

…i.e., velour-type upholstery that accumulates detailed differences in light reflection from being rubbed against hither and yon, creating all kinds of vistas for the imaginatively minded.

You are the sparky chappie.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 05:05:53
From: Michael V
ID: 1999871
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:



!!!

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 05:12:55
From: Michael V
ID: 1999872
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


My day.

I woke up to a Facebook message from Margaret the mad.

‘OMG. Have you heard the news!’

No I have heard no news. What is the news?

Brett’s daughter Sarah has had a stroke and she is paralysed on one side of her body. did anyone tell you?

No one tells me anything. I am shit.

So I tried to digest that news. Brett’s sarah rows and kayaks and walks and is a mostly vegetarian. Two kids under 12. I have not seen her for years but I did devote a lot of years into her and bought her stuff and took her on holidays and piad for her piano lessons. so I cried for a few hours and resolved that I would wait a while and then contact her hubby tonight.

Later in the afternoon Margaret got back to me. She’d made a mistake. It wasn’t Sarah. It was Emma.

So i tried to reset my grief.

I feeling fucked now.

Oh, shit.

Margaret is definitely not good for you.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 05:15:37
From: Michael V
ID: 1999873
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:


Hoe Street, Walthomstow, mid 1970s

that’s gotta be an odd.

Ha :)

In Odd it goes. Wonder what the story behind that was.

They were the Box Tops. The inspiration for The Beatles Abbey Road cover art.

LOLOLOLOL

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 05:18:56
From: kii
ID: 1999874
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


sarahs mum said:

My day.

I woke up to a Facebook message from Margaret the mad.

‘OMG. Have you heard the news!’

No I have heard no news. What is the news?

Brett’s daughter Sarah has had a stroke and she is paralysed on one side of her body. did anyone tell you?

No one tells me anything. I am shit.

So I tried to digest that news. Brett’s sarah rows and kayaks and walks and is a mostly vegetarian. Two kids under 12. I have not seen her for years but I did devote a lot of years into her and bought her stuff and took her on holidays and piad for her piano lessons. so I cried for a few hours and resolved that I would wait a while and then contact her hubby tonight.

Later in the afternoon Margaret got back to me. She’d made a mistake. It wasn’t Sarah. It was Emma.

So i tried to reset my grief.

I feeling fucked now.

Oh, shit.

Margaret is definitely not good for you.

+1 Margaret comes across as pretty toxic.
Resetting grief is a horrible thing, especially when you are already fragile about so many things.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 05:22:54
From: kii
ID: 1999875
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Another day.

No wind forecast for today – yesterday was really bad. I think one of the metal flues for the gas heater in the one room has gotten loose. I don’t use that room’s heater, it’s where the main computer is and a staging area for packing boxes etc.

Dentist.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 05:34:02
From: Michael V
ID: 1999876
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Ordered one of these to go with my surf rod.

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C Baitcast Reel 7000


Fancy.

I use side-cast Alvey.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 05:42:27
From: Michael V
ID: 1999878
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Another day.

No wind forecast for today – yesterday was really bad. I think one of the metal flues for the gas heater in the one room has gotten loose. I don’t use that room’s heater, it’s where the main computer is and a staging area for packing boxes etc.

Dentist.

Good luck with that. I wish you no pain.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 06:42:49
From: buffy
ID: 1999879
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning Holidayers. Presently 11 degrees, overcast (I can’t see any stars) and still. Sunup today is not until about 7.20am. We are forecast a cloudy 19 degrees.

Bakery breakfast this morning and archery this evening.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 06:57:17
From: Michael V
ID: 1999880
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning everybody.

Partly cloudy, calm, 22.5°C and 73% RH. BoM forecasts 28°C and no rain.

Agenda: Probably a little more sleep. Mrs V’s walk, some work on selling Mum’s unit. Sibeen’s funeral. Preparing for tomorrow’s trip to Gympie to see the orthopedic surgeon and getting medical aids returned, including working out where to purchase some important bits and pieces.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 07:39:02
From: ms spock
ID: 1999882
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dia dhaoich good folks of the forum. (Good Morning)

Is lá mór an bhróin é. (It is a day of great sorrow).

Sibeen’s funeral today. I have the link from his daughter and password. I have sent it to Bubblecar, AussieDJ, Divine Angel and Kothos.

Mr Car has known sibeen for 21 years, he thinks that some people have know sibeen longer than that. Kothos has known sibeen since 1999, sibeen helped him with his digital electronics course in 2004. DA has known sibeen for 20 years. AussieDJ is not sure of dates – maybe a decade if not two? (I haven’t had time to catch up on the vale Shebs thread yet). Definitely not journalists trolling or stalking to get in.

It is true that GeoffD is gone but never forgotten. I attended his funeral with Divine Angel and Spiny Norman. It was most moving. DA and I spoke of the forum’s gratitude for having GeoffD as a member! His wife gave me the biggest hug.

Cool now, so time to get a couple trees planted. Appointments at 8.20am and 9.30am with Sibeen’s funeral at 1pm.

***tips hat to Micheal V, buffy, kii, AussieDJ, Ian, Permeate Free, SCIENCE, Bubblecar and anyone lurking***

(Tabhair aire daoibh féin inniu, is ceann mór é!)
Take care of yourselves today folks! It’s a big one!

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 08:24:30
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999887
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Ordered one of these to go with my surf rod.

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C Baitcast Reel 7000


Fancy.

I use side-cast Alvey.

I like the inference that it took 6,999 previous models to arrive at this state of perfection. Dedication to the craft right there.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 08:34:30
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999888
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News:

‘Russian invasion unleashed ‘widespread death and destruction’, says UN Human Rights’

Wait until they find out about Wade vs. Roe being reversed!

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 08:35:39
From: Michael V
ID: 1999889
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Michael V said:

ChrispenEvan said:

Ordered one of these to go with my surf rod.

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C Baitcast Reel 7000


Fancy.

I use side-cast Alvey.

I like the inference that it took 6,999 previous models to arrive at this state of perfection. Dedication to the craft right there.

Whereas Alvey got it pretty much right the first time. Materials have changed (plastic now instead of cedar) as have the winding handles.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 08:35:42
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999890
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


Michael V said:

ChrispenEvan said:

Ordered one of these to go with my surf rod.

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C Baitcast Reel 7000


Fancy.

I use side-cast Alvey.

I like the inference that it took 6,999 previous models to arrive at this state of perfection. Dedication to the craft right there.

Numbers schmumbers. ;)
It is probanly series 7 That has been polished a bit better?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 08:38:42
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999891
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:

Numbers schmumbers. ;)
It is probably series 7 That has been polished a bit better?

Ah.

Series 7 – unpolished dross.

Series 70 – gave it a rub with some metal polish.

Series 700 – put some effort into it. Shiny.

Series 7000 – Polished to brilliance. Mirror-like, practically glows.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 08:40:16
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999892
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ABC News:

‘Air force chiefs from across the world are in Melbourne for the Avalon International Airshow, but Russia and China are not invited. ‘

So there. Yar boo.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 08:41:06
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999893
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:

ABC News:

‘Russian invasion unleashed ‘widespread death and destruction’, says UN Human Rights’

Wait until they find out about Wade vs. Roe being reversed!

or mild ‘flu’ bat virus

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 08:42:09
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999894
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

captain_spalding said:


roughbarked said:

Numbers schmumbers. ;)
It is probably series 7 That has been polished a bit better?

Ah.

Series 7 – unpolished dross.

Series 70 – gave it a rub with some metal polish.

Series 700 – put some effort into it. Shiny.

Series 7000 – Polished to brilliance. Mirror-like, practically glows.

:) lookiing at watches taught me a lot about numbers. Here is just one model tha got a few embellishments. This maker did the same with all of its models. made illions of them.

family/generations:
18000 A/h, 1st balance, plate and bridges plane, :
970, 980, 987, 999, 1014, 1036, 1047, 1056, 1090, 1210, 1217, 1251, 1254, 1276, 1375, 1386: sub second
1003, 1018, 1126: sweep second
1359: sub second, date
18000 A/h, 2nd balance, edges bevelled:
970 III, 1354, 1376, 1556: sub second
1156: sub second, no mounting flange
1159: sweep second
21600 A/h, 2nd balance:
1726: sub second, plate and bridges plane
1727, 1828: sub second, edges bevelled

Example, year: signature; shock device
ca. 1940: M, Swiss Made, 17 Jewels – AS 970

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 08:46:39
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1999895
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

1921 – AB Urfabriken is founded as a watch factory in Svängsta, Sweden

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 08:49:41
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1999896
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Nice casting reels. had one a long time ago when I did surf fishing at 90 mile beach in gippsland. Not everyone can get the hang of baitcasters.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 08:52:45
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1999897
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Nice casting reels. had one a long time ago when I did surf fishing at 90 mile beach in gippsland. Not everyone can get the hang of baitcasters.

I am utterly hopeless at casting lines from rods. Or handreels.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 08:55:32
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999900
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


1921 – AB Urfabriken is founded as a watch factory in Svängsta, Sweden

The first Abu Garcia fishing reel, the ABU Record® is introduced · 1952

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 08:58:48
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 1999902
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ChrispenEvan said:

1921 – AB Urfabriken is founded as a watch factory in Svängsta, Sweden

The first Abu Garcia fishing reel, the ABU Record® is introduced · 1952

https://abugarcia-fishing.com.au/abu-garcia-history/

Link

1921 – AB Urfabriken is founded as a watch factory in Svängsta, Sweden
1941 – The first Abu Garcia fishing reel, the ABU Record® is introduced
1952 – The world famous Ambassadeur® reel is introduced
1954 – Abu Garcia® unveils the Ambassadeur® 5000 at the New York World’s Fair
1955 – The ABU 444, the company’s first spinning reel is produced
1956 – The ABUMatic® is introduced
1965 – The Cardinal® spinning reel makes its debut
1977 – The ABU museum is opened in Svangsta, Sweden
1984 – The company name is changed from ABU to Abu Garcia when a company distributor in the US called Garcia was combined with ABU
2006 – The Revo® low profile baitcast reel takes the angling community by storm
2009 – Abu Garcia releases the V-Series of rods with the Vendetta® and Vengeance®
2010 – The first Revo spinning reel is introduced with Revo Premier
2013 – The Revo Low Profile Family is completely redesigned to be lighter, more compact and more powerful

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 09:16:49
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999910
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


roughbarked said:

ChrispenEvan said:

1921 – AB Urfabriken is founded as a watch factory in Svängsta, Sweden

The first Abu Garcia fishing reel, the ABU Record® is introduced · 1952

https://abugarcia-fishing.com.au/abu-garcia-history/

Link

1921 – AB Urfabriken is founded as a watch factory in Svängsta, Sweden
1941 – The first Abu Garcia fishing reel, the ABU Record® is introduced
1952 – The world famous Ambassadeur® reel is introduced
1954 – Abu Garcia® unveils the Ambassadeur® 5000 at the New York World’s Fair
1955 – The ABU 444, the company’s first spinning reel is produced
1956 – The ABUMatic® is introduced
1965 – The Cardinal® spinning reel makes its debut
1977 – The ABU museum is opened in Svangsta, Sweden
1984 – The company name is changed from ABU to Abu Garcia when a company distributor in the US called Garcia was combined with ABU
2006 – The Revo® low profile baitcast reel takes the angling community by storm
2009 – Abu Garcia releases the V-Series of rods with the Vendetta® and Vengeance®
2010 – The first Revo spinning reel is introduced with Revo Premier
2013 – The Revo Low Profile Family is completely redesigned to be lighter, more compact and more powerful

Yeah thanks. I didn’t read the link before.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 10:13:13
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1999928
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I watched The Whale a couple nights ago. Brendan Fraser is outstanding in it. I’m not much of a Sadie Sink fan. The film itself is interesting enough, but I found the blocking off-putting. About halfway through I guessed it was based on a play, purely by the blocking. You’d think a film director would compensate for that. The dialogue, at times, was also a dead giveaway that it’s based on a play.

Also watched another Oscar nominated film, The Fabelmans, last week. I thought Michelle Williams’ performance was uneven, unless the mother was supposed to be manic in which case she nailed it. Cute story though.

Started watching The Banshees of Insherin without subtitles and couldn’t keep up with the accent when they talked fast, and the sound is always up-and-down on movies. It’s on Disney+ next week so I’ll watch it with subtitles then. I recently introduced Mini Me to the Harry Potter films, so I have a bit of a soft spot for Brendan Gleason at the moment.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 10:40:06
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999941
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Found no further mouse poos this morning, so maybe the cloves have worked after all.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 10:40:26
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1999942
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Nearly there!

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 10:41:49
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999943
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Nearly there!

Will there be a meat tray for the winner?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 10:44:59
From: Woodie
ID: 1999946
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Found no further mouse poos this morning, so maybe the cloves have worked after all.

They’re mice, Parpyone. Not vampires. :) Unless you have vampire mice, hey what but. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 10:54:59
From: Cymek
ID: 1999957
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Greetings

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 10:55:35
From: Cymek
ID: 1999958
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Found no further mouse poos this morning, so maybe the cloves have worked after all.

That’s what they want you to think, plotting revenge

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 10:56:48
From: Tamb
ID: 1999961
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Greetings

G’day.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 10:57:46
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1999962
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I haven’t seen any rodents since I started mopping with eucalyptus oil. Also rubbed eucalyptus oil along the door frames, pantry doors and shelves, kitchen benches.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 10:58:44
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999966
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


I haven’t seen any rodents since I started mopping with eucalyptus oil. Also rubbed eucalyptus oil along the door frames, pantry doors and shelves, kitchen benches.

Bet it smells nice too, :)

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 10:59:40
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999968
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


I haven’t seen any rodents since I started mopping with eucalyptus oil. Also rubbed eucalyptus oil along the door frames, pantry doors and shelves, kitchen benches.

That would also discourage those 8legged animals you are afeared of.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:00:02
From: SCIENCE
ID: 1999969
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Divine Angel said:

I haven’t seen any rodents since I started mopping with eucalyptus oil. Also rubbed eucalyptus oil along the door frames, pantry doors and shelves, kitchen benches.

Bet it smells nice too, :)

does it affect vision

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:01:14
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1999971
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Divine Angel said:

I haven’t seen any rodents since I started mopping with eucalyptus oil. Also rubbed eucalyptus oil along the door frames, pantry doors and shelves, kitchen benches.

Bet it smells nice too, :)

I don’t even notice it anymore. I read a study which concluded that rodents didn’t care whether the concentration was 10%, 20% or 100%, they didn’t like the smell at all.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:01:39
From: Tamb
ID: 1999972
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Divine Angel said:

I haven’t seen any rodents since I started mopping with eucalyptus oil. Also rubbed eucalyptus oil along the door frames, pantry doors and shelves, kitchen benches.

Bet it smells nice too, :)


I put some eucalyptus oil in the evaporative cooler or sometimes lavender oil.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:03:47
From: Tamb
ID: 1999974
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


roughbarked said:

Divine Angel said:

I haven’t seen any rodents since I started mopping with eucalyptus oil. Also rubbed eucalyptus oil along the door frames, pantry doors and shelves, kitchen benches.

Bet it smells nice too, :)

I don’t even notice it anymore. I read a study which concluded that rodents didn’t care whether the concentration was 10%, 20% or 100%, they didn’t like the smell at all.


That’s only fair. People don’t like the smell of rodents.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:04:19
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1999975
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Apparently rodents aren’t a fan of lavender either, but I cannot stand it. We were given a bunch of lavender scented baby stuff for Mini Me; every last bit of it ended up in the bin. Even now people recommend lavender oil to repel head lice, and that goes in the bin too. (I just use a bit comb twice a week and if there’s lice, coconut oil.)

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:04:21
From: AussieDJ
ID: 1999976
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Nearly there!

It’d be fitting if it came in the vale Shebs thread.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:05:20
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999977
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


roughbarked said:

Divine Angel said:

I haven’t seen any rodents since I started mopping with eucalyptus oil. Also rubbed eucalyptus oil along the door frames, pantry doors and shelves, kitchen benches.

Bet it smells nice too, :)

I don’t even notice it anymore. I read a study which concluded that rodents didn’t care whether the concentration was 10%, 20% or 100%, they didn’t like the smell at all.

I’ll have a go with that if they come back. I won’t rub it on the fittings though since this is a rented house :)

They generally leave eventually anyway ‘cos there’s just nothing here for them to eat. All the food is in the fridge and high-up cupboards that they can’t get into.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:05:42
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1999978
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


Divine Angel said:

roughbarked said:

Bet it smells nice too, :)

I don’t even notice it anymore. I read a study which concluded that rodents didn’t care whether the concentration was 10%, 20% or 100%, they didn’t like the smell at all.


That’s only fair. People don’t like the smell of rodents.

I did some work for someone who used to have capybaras as pets when she was a kid. She grew up in Columbia.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:05:56
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 1999979
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

Nearly there!

It’d be fitting if it came in the vale Shebs thread.

Yeah a tribute to lost forumites would be nice.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:06:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999980
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


roughbarked said:

Divine Angel said:

I haven’t seen any rodents since I started mopping with eucalyptus oil. Also rubbed eucalyptus oil along the door frames, pantry doors and shelves, kitchen benches.

Bet it smells nice too, :)

I don’t even notice it anymore. I read a study which concluded that rodents didn’t care whether the concentration was 10%, 20% or 100%, they didn’t like the smell at all.

correct.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:06:44
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999981
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tamb said:


roughbarked said:

Divine Angel said:

I haven’t seen any rodents since I started mopping with eucalyptus oil. Also rubbed eucalyptus oil along the door frames, pantry doors and shelves, kitchen benches.

Bet it smells nice too, :)


I put some eucalyptus oil in the evaporative cooler or sometimes lavender oil.

It is also good occasionally in the washing machine.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:09:27
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999982
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Divine Angel said:

roughbarked said:

Bet it smells nice too, :)

I don’t even notice it anymore. I read a study which concluded that rodents didn’t care whether the concentration was 10%, 20% or 100%, they didn’t like the smell at all.

I’ll have a go with that if they come back. I won’t rub it on the fittings though since this is a rented house :)

They generally leave eventually anyway ‘cos there’s just nothing here for them to eat. All the food is in the fridge and high-up cupboards that they can’t get into.

Don’t bet they can’t get up high.
In the aviary thei’d absail down the long wire that carried the seed feeder. Eat their fill and jump off everywhere when I came near.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:18:46
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999984
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

Divine Angel said:

I don’t even notice it anymore. I read a study which concluded that rodents didn’t care whether the concentration was 10%, 20% or 100%, they didn’t like the smell at all.

I’ll have a go with that if they come back. I won’t rub it on the fittings though since this is a rented house :)

They generally leave eventually anyway ‘cos there’s just nothing here for them to eat. All the food is in the fridge and high-up cupboards that they can’t get into.

Don’t bet they can’t get up high.
In the aviary thei’d absail down the long wire that carried the seed feeder. Eat their fill and jump off everywhere when I came near.

These are the only cupboards I keep food in, well out of their reach. The high corner cupboards on each side of the kitchen window.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:21:38
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999985
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

I’ll have a go with that if they come back. I won’t rub it on the fittings though since this is a rented house :)

They generally leave eventually anyway ‘cos there’s just nothing here for them to eat. All the food is in the fridge and high-up cupboards that they can’t get into.

Don’t bet they can’t get up high.
In the aviary thei’d absail down the long wire that carried the seed feeder. Eat their fill and jump off everywhere when I came near.

These are the only cupboards I keep food in, well out of their reach. The high corner cupboards on each side of the kitchen window.

Those bench tops could do with a good dusting and wipe down.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:22:17
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999986
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

I’ll have a go with that if they come back. I won’t rub it on the fittings though since this is a rented house :)

They generally leave eventually anyway ‘cos there’s just nothing here for them to eat. All the food is in the fridge and high-up cupboards that they can’t get into.

Don’t bet they can’t get up high.
In the aviary thei’d absail down the long wire that carried the seed feeder. Eat their fill and jump off everywhere when I came near.

These are the only cupboards I keep food in, well out of their reach. The high corner cupboards on each side of the kitchen window.

What is behind the plaster?
The little buggers will drill a hole to get what they can smell.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:22:29
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1999987
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I also got some insect barrier spray to keep the creepy crawlies away. You shoulda seen all the dead cockroaches after I sprayed behind the dishwasher!

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:23:27
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999988
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


I also got some insect barrier spray to keep the creepy crawlies away. You shoulda seen all the dead cockroaches after I sprayed behind the dishwasher!

Yes. That stuff kills a lot of other things too. However, slaters walk across it.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:24:34
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1999989
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

Don’t bet they can’t get up high.
In the aviary thei’d absail down the long wire that carried the seed feeder. Eat their fill and jump off everywhere when I came near.

These are the only cupboards I keep food in, well out of their reach. The high corner cupboards on each side of the kitchen window.

What is behind the plaster?
The little buggers will drill a hole to get what they can smell.

The plaster covers solid concrete block walls.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:34:39
From: Cymek
ID: 1999991
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

We have a women in the office who reads through scanned documents that aren’t her business.
She was doing it this morning and when I walked past she quickly clicked off the screen
Some people use it for personal paperwork and forget to delete it, so she having a sticky beak

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:36:15
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1999992
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


We have a women in the office who reads through scanned documents that aren’t her business.
She was doing it this morning and when I walked past she quickly clicked off the screen
Some people use it for personal paperwork and forget to delete it, so she having a sticky beak

And I’ll bet she weighs more than a duck.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:36:28
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999993
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

These are the only cupboards I keep food in, well out of their reach. The high corner cupboards on each side of the kitchen window.

What is behind the plaster?
The little buggers will drill a hole to get what they can smell.

The plaster covers solid concrete block walls.

I had a room with double brick. Yje mice got in the cavity between the bricks via the dhed roof and ate the phone cable off to gain access. They fucked everything iin the room.Ate all the bative seed that was still not sealed away in tins or hards. The the rats bored a hole in the ceiling to get down and eat the mice, after which, they died and left their stinkiing carcasses. This happened while I was away at White Cliffs. I’ve been years trying to clean it all up.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:38:25
From: Cymek
ID: 1999994
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Cymek said:

We have a women in the office who reads through scanned documents that aren’t her business.
She was doing it this morning and when I walked past she quickly clicked off the screen
Some people use it for personal paperwork and forget to delete it, so she having a sticky beak

And I’ll bet she weighs more than a duck.

She does
I just scanned in a document, saying hello her name how’s it going

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:39:18
From: Divine Angel
ID: 1999995
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Rodents have stopped me from engaging in illegal activity though, which Mr Mutant is grateful for. For a while there I was seriously considering it. Some days, I still do. But… rodents.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:39:35
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999996
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Cymek said:

We have a women in the office who reads through scanned documents that aren’t her business.
She was doing it this morning and when I walked past she quickly clicked off the screen
Some people use it for personal paperwork and forget to delete it, so she having a sticky beak

And I’ll bet she weighs more than a duck.

She does
I just scanned in a document, saying hello her name how’s it going

I would have quietly installed a camera. Watching what she reads.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:40:15
From: roughbarked
ID: 1999998
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Rodents have stopped me from engaging in illegal activity though, which Mr Mutant is grateful for. For a while there I was seriously considering it. Some days, I still do. But… rodents.

I’m too polite to ask.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:42:16
From: Cymek
ID: 2000002
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Cymek said:

Peak Warming Man said:

And I’ll bet she weighs more than a duck.

She does
I just scanned in a document, saying hello her name how’s it going

I would have quietly installed a camera. Watching what she reads.

Some of it is really personal medical information others in the office have scanned to send to doctors,etc
They should delete it but people do forget

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:47:50
From: ms spock
ID: 2000006
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Tamb said:

Divine Angel said:

I don’t even notice it anymore. I read a study which concluded that rodents didn’t care whether the concentration was 10%, 20% or 100%, they didn’t like the smell at all.


That’s only fair. People don’t like the smell of rodents.

I did some work for someone who used to have capybaras as pets when she was a kid. She grew up in Columbia.

They are most amusing! I cleaned a enclosure for some of them once.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:49:10
From: ms spock
ID: 2000007
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Bubblecar said:

Divine Angel said:

I don’t even notice it anymore. I read a study which concluded that rodents didn’t care whether the concentration was 10%, 20% or 100%, they didn’t like the smell at all.

I’ll have a go with that if they come back. I won’t rub it on the fittings though since this is a rented house :)

They generally leave eventually anyway ‘cos there’s just nothing here for them to eat. All the food is in the fridge and high-up cupboards that they can’t get into.

Don’t bet they can’t get up high.
In the aviary thei’d absail down the long wire that carried the seed feeder. Eat their fill and jump off everywhere when I came near.

And rats will eat through concrete to get into an enclosure. So fine mesh steel is recommended if building an enclosure.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:50:44
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000009
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Fine mesh steel hey. I could definitely use that if I choose to do this illegal activity…

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:54:04
From: AussieDJ
ID: 2000010
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I used to jam steel wool into openings in the brickwork to stop rodents from getting in.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:55:15
From: sarahs mum
ID: 2000011
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Just had a long phone call with sister. To try and calm my brain. Ended up discussing my niece’s visits to centrelink. The woman who said to her ‘don’t expect me to help you in any way.’ I recommended next time she take the severely autistic 15 year old with her.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:55:27
From: ms spock
ID: 2000012
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Fine mesh steel hey. I could definitely use that if I choose to do this illegal activity…

Oh dear! I have said too much and have lead DA into a life of crime! Mr D and Mini Me will follow me through a wild online Internet world with way too big a budget and extract vengeance. Damn it! It’s all over for me now!

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:58:09
From: AussieDJ
ID: 2000015
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


AussieDJ said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

Nearly there!

It’d be fitting if it came in the vale Shebs thread.

Yeah a tribute to lost forumites would be nice.

And it did!

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 11:58:27
From: roughbarked
ID: 2000016
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


roughbarked said:

Cymek said:

She does
I just scanned in a document, saying hello her name how’s it going

I would have quietly installed a camera. Watching what she reads.

Some of it is really personal medical information others in the office have scanned to send to doctors,etc
They should delete it but people do forget

Maybe have a word with the rest of the staff.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:00:34
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000017
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Divine Angel said:

Fine mesh steel hey. I could definitely use that if I choose to do this illegal activity…

Oh dear! I have said too much and have lead DA into a life of crime! Mr D and Mini Me will follow me through a wild online Internet world with way too big a budget and extract vengeance. Damn it! It’s all over for me now!


Mini Me is onboard with my plan. Mr Mutant is not.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:00:56
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000018
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


Witty Rejoinder said:

AussieDJ said:

It’d be fitting if it came in the vale Shebs thread.

Yeah a tribute to lost forumites would be nice.

And it did!


Well done fsm.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:02:44
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000019
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


ms spock said:

Divine Angel said:

Fine mesh steel hey. I could definitely use that if I choose to do this illegal activity…

Oh dear! I have said too much and have lead DA into a life of crime! Mr D and Mini Me will follow me through a wild online Internet world with way too big a budget and extract vengeance. Damn it! It’s all over for me now!


Mini Me is onboard with my plan. Mr Mutant is not.

Does it involve growing something?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:02:46
From: ms spock
ID: 2000020
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


ms spock said:

Divine Angel said:

Fine mesh steel hey. I could definitely use that if I choose to do this illegal activity…

Oh dear! I have said too much and have lead DA into a life of crime! Mr D and Mini Me will follow me through a wild online Internet world with way too big a budget and extract vengeance. Damn it! It’s all over for me now!


Mini Me is onboard with my plan. Mr Mutant is not.

Well that evens up the odds again for me. Only Mr Mutant will come to for revenge! A 50% improvement in such a short time.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:03:21
From: roughbarked
ID: 2000021
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


ms spock said:

Divine Angel said:

Fine mesh steel hey. I could definitely use that if I choose to do this illegal activity…

Oh dear! I have said too much and have lead DA into a life of crime! Mr D and Mini Me will follow me through a wild online Internet world with way too big a budget and extract vengeance. Damn it! It’s all over for me now!


Mini Me is onboard with my plan. Mr Mutant is not.

So you are dragging the kid into it?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:03:52
From: AussieDJ
ID: 2000022
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


AussieDJ said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

Yeah a tribute to lost forumites would be nice.

And it did!


Well done fsm.

Onwards and upwards!

There are fewer than a million posts left to get to the next one.

We can do it!

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:04:05
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000023
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Divine Angel said:

ms spock said:

Oh dear! I have said too much and have lead DA into a life of crime! Mr D and Mini Me will follow me through a wild online Internet world with way too big a budget and extract vengeance. Damn it! It’s all over for me now!


Mini Me is onboard with my plan. Mr Mutant is not.

Does it involve growing something?

No, I’m not into “herbs”. And neither is Mini Me!

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:04:43
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000024
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Divine Angel said:

ms spock said:

Oh dear! I have said too much and have lead DA into a life of crime! Mr D and Mini Me will follow me through a wild online Internet world with way too big a budget and extract vengeance. Damn it! It’s all over for me now!


Mini Me is onboard with my plan. Mr Mutant is not.

So you are dragging the kid into it?

Well, yeah.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:04:44
From: Cymek
ID: 2000025
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Divine Angel said:

ms spock said:

Oh dear! I have said too much and have lead DA into a life of crime! Mr D and Mini Me will follow me through a wild online Internet world with way too big a budget and extract vengeance. Damn it! It’s all over for me now!


Mini Me is onboard with my plan. Mr Mutant is not.

Does it involve growing something?

She’s going to run an unregister deli, doughnut shop and chiropractor out of her house.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:05:15
From: ms spock
ID: 2000026
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


Bubblecar said:

AussieDJ said:

And it did!


Well done fsm.

Onwards and upwards!

There are fewer than a million posts left to get to the next one.

We can do it!

:)

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:05:25
From: Cymek
ID: 2000027
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Bubblecar said:

Divine Angel said:

Mini Me is onboard with my plan. Mr Mutant is not.

Does it involve growing something?

No, I’m not into “herbs”. And neither is Mini Me!

Is Mini Me still mini compared to you or catching up

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:06:46
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000028
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Divine Angel said:

Bubblecar said:

Does it involve growing something?

No, I’m not into “herbs”. And neither is Mini Me!

Is Mini Me still mini compared to you or catching up

She’s the tallest in her class this year. In some ways she’s exactly like me, in other ways I’m wondering if she was switched at birth.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:10:10
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 2000029
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Hey DA, you aren’t thinking of getting into this, are you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtD1-CJHq4Q

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:11:16
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000030
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Hey DA, you aren’t thinking of getting into this, are you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtD1-CJHq4Q

*whistles

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:12:49
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000032
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Spiny Norman said:

Hey DA, you aren’t thinking of getting into this, are you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtD1-CJHq4Q

*whistles

So mini-me will be drawing fake $100 notes and you’ll be cutting them out.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:16:18
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000033
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m going to have a couple of whiskies to brace myself for the funeral.

I’m sure sibeen wouldn’t mind, even though he wasn’t a whisky man.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:20:01
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000034
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

No drinkies here, no one likes a tipsy school parent at pick up time.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:21:10
From: AussieDJ
ID: 2000035
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


I’m going to have a couple of whiskies to brace myself for the funeral.

I’m sure sibeen wouldn’t mind, even though he wasn’t a whisky man.

I’m at work today – first day back after a week off, otherwise I would have taken the day off. I’ll save the schnapps for after work.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:25:54
From: SCIENCE
ID: 2000036
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:

No drinkies here, no one likes a tipsy school parent at pick up time.

drink it with a hearty meal and then you have an hour before it gets good

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:26:05
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000037
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Postman has just delivered this fine ornamental crest, which I’m going to use atop the antique cupboard in here, when I paint and slightly remodel it. The crest will also be painted to match.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:32:14
From: buffy
ID: 2000038
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Letter arrived DA. Thanks. I was wondering which grade C was in now. I have rather lost track of time over the last few years.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:32:32
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000039
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Postman has just delivered this fine ornamental crest, which I’m going to use atop the antique cupboard in here, when I paint and slightly remodel it. The crest will also be painted to match.

That would make a great tattoo.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:32:53
From: buffy
ID: 2000040
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Oh, and every time they ask me in the supermarket if I am “collecting the bricks” I remember when I used to send letters to her.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:33:52
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000041
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Letter arrived DA. Thanks. I was wondering which grade C was in now. I have rather lost track of time over the last few years.

If it wasn’t for school, I’d have no idea either.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:36:15
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000042
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

She looooooooooves Lego. We got her a big set (1500+ pieces) a couple of Christmases ago. She’s always making a house, or bed for a toy, or a playground or something. When Woolies had the sets last year (?) mum got her a bunch of them and she loved having her toys go to the supermarket. She did not appreciate me making the deli section realistic.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:39:10
From: ms spock
ID: 2000044
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


She looooooooooves Lego. We got her a big set (1500+ pieces) a couple of Christmases ago. She’s always making a house, or bed for a toy, or a playground or something. When Woolies had the sets last year (?) mum got her a bunch of them and she loved having her toys go to the supermarket. She did not appreciate me making the deli section realistic.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:42:56
From: buffy
ID: 2000047
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


She looooooooooves Lego. We got her a big set (1500+ pieces) a couple of Christmases ago. She’s always making a house, or bed for a toy, or a playground or something. When Woolies had the sets last year (?) mum got her a bunch of them and she loved having her toys go to the supermarket. She did not appreciate me making the deli section realistic.

So, am I collecting them again?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:43:37
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000048
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Divine Angel said:

She looooooooooves Lego. We got her a big set (1500+ pieces) a couple of Christmases ago. She’s always making a house, or bed for a toy, or a playground or something. When Woolies had the sets last year (?) mum got her a bunch of them and she loved having her toys go to the supermarket. She did not appreciate me making the deli section realistic.

So, am I collecting them again?

If you want to. My mum keeps up the supply.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:44:15
From: buffy
ID: 2000049
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


buffy said:

Divine Angel said:

She looooooooooves Lego. We got her a big set (1500+ pieces) a couple of Christmases ago. She’s always making a house, or bed for a toy, or a playground or something. When Woolies had the sets last year (?) mum got her a bunch of them and she loved having her toys go to the supermarket. She did not appreciate me making the deli section realistic.

So, am I collecting them again?

If you want to. My mum keeps up the supply.

If they are offered, I’ll take them then.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:45:10
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000050
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Thank you, always appreciated.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:47:15
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 2000051
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Postman has just delivered this fine ornamental crest, which I’m going to use atop the antique cupboard in here, when I paint and slightly remodel it. The crest will also be painted to match.

Looks to be 3D printed.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:48:56
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000052
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Bubblecar said:

Postman has just delivered this fine ornamental crest, which I’m going to use atop the antique cupboard in here, when I paint and slightly remodel it. The crest will also be painted to match.

Looks to be 3D printed.

Might be the case, it’s some kind of hard plastic. But can easily be painted to look like carved wood.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:48:56
From: Cymek
ID: 2000053
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


She looooooooooves Lego. We got her a big set (1500+ pieces) a couple of Christmases ago. She’s always making a house, or bed for a toy, or a playground or something. When Woolies had the sets last year (?) mum got her a bunch of them and she loved having her toys go to the supermarket. She did not appreciate me making the deli section realistic.

So many cool sets now, lots of non Lego lego created by fans as well, can get thousands of them now

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:49:57
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000054
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The funeral home website is very thorough. Lots of information and even holds remembrance days for mums, dads, babies.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:50:11
From: Cymek
ID: 2000055
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Bubblecar said:

Postman has just delivered this fine ornamental crest, which I’m going to use atop the antique cupboard in here, when I paint and slightly remodel it. The crest will also be painted to match.

Looks to be 3D printed.

Would look could on the front of a new Dutch bicycle, show then you mean business and aren’t to be messed with

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:50:46
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 2000056
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Spiny Norman said:

Bubblecar said:

Postman has just delivered this fine ornamental crest, which I’m going to use atop the antique cupboard in here, when I paint and slightly remodel it. The crest will also be painted to match.

Looks to be 3D printed.

Might be the case, it’s some kind of hard plastic. But can easily be painted to look like carved wood.

Yeah it’ll be printed. How large is it on the long axis?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:56:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000060
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Bubblecar said:

Spiny Norman said:

Looks to be 3D printed.

Might be the case, it’s some kind of hard plastic. But can easily be painted to look like carved wood.

Yeah it’ll be printed. How large is it on the long axis?

Just over 26cm.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:58:15
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 2000062
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Spiny Norman said:

Bubblecar said:

Might be the case, it’s some kind of hard plastic. But can easily be painted to look like carved wood.

Yeah it’ll be printed. How large is it on the long axis?

Just over 26cm.

I could nearly print that on my printer, by aligning the long axis with the corners. If you can get the file for it, I’m be happy to print a much larger one on my big printer, when it’s running.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 12:59:14
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000065
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

How long would something like that take to print on your printer?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 13:02:29
From: Spiny Norman
ID: 2000066
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


How long would something like that take to print on your printer?

Difficult to say without looking at the file itself. Probably 3 – 5 hours I’d guess. But I’d use a smaller layer height so it’d come out a bit nicer.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 13:05:09
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000067
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Spiny Norman said:


Bubblecar said:

Spiny Norman said:

Yeah it’ll be printed. How large is it on the long axis?

Just over 26cm.

I could nearly print that on my printer, by aligning the long axis with the corners. If you can get the file for it, I’m be happy to print a much larger one on my big printer, when it’s running.

Ta but it’s exactly the right size for my purposes :)

It’ll go beautifully with this rather eccentric old cabinet.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 13:05:51
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000069
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Lot of talk about God etc in the funeral, as I expected. Sibeen wasn’t a believer but his wife was, and he respected that.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 15:10:57
From: roughbarked
ID: 2000186
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 15:24:15
From: sarahs mum
ID: 2000187
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:



:)

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 15:39:39
From: buffy
ID: 2000191
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I’m off to archery. I’ve always used it for release. It should work. Then some comfort food for tea.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 15:43:03
From: ruby
ID: 2000194
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I’m off to archery. I’ve always used it for release. It should work. Then some comfort food for tea.

Yep.
I’m glad I’m seeing MissCarol tonight. Comfort food is a good idea.
I might go whack some weeds around.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 15:44:42
From: sarahs mum
ID: 2000196
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ruby said:


buffy said:

I’m off to archery. I’ve always used it for release. It should work. Then some comfort food for tea.

Yep.
I’m glad I’m seeing MissCarol tonight. Comfort food is a good idea.
I might go whack some weeds around.

i’m going back to bed.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 15:49:59
From: ms spock
ID: 2000203
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:



Iontach! (Amazing!)

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 15:52:31
From: ms spock
ID: 2000205
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


I’m off to archery. I’ve always used it for release. It should work. Then some comfort food for tea.

Archery and comfort food sounds really good buffy!

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 16:35:02
From: transition
ID: 2000220
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

hears kestrel overhead, has look, there’t is

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 16:38:50
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000222
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


hears kestrel overhead, has look, there’t is

Hope she found a decent dinner.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 16:38:55
From: ruby
ID: 2000223
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


hears kestrel overhead, has look, there’t is

Nice.
I have sulphur crested cockatoos eating the olives from my tree, and a family of bower birds eating my cherry tomatoes.
You’ll just have to imagine the beautiful photos I should have taken

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 16:56:50
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000229
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

At my funeral, this is gonna be played

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:03:04
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 2000231
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

“UK choreographer, 46 caught speeding four times in a week avoids ban”

Shakes fist at choreographers

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:03:44
From: Cymek
ID: 2000234
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


At my funeral, this is gonna be played

Yeah I’m going to have a couple of modern songs as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K8gF5Qe-9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D1HE25I2AQ

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:04:36
From: Cymek
ID: 2000235
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


“UK choreographer, 46 caught speeding four times in a week avoids ban”

Shakes fist at choreographers

Probably did some dance move to get out it, moon walked away they were so impressed they forgot he was in trouble

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:09:36
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 2000236
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Peak Warming Man said:

“UK choreographer, 46 caught speeding four times in a week avoids ban”

Shakes fist at choreographers

Probably did some dance move to get out it, moon walked away they were so impressed they forgot he was in trouble

Bastards they are.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:13:16
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 2000240
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Ripper of a test in NZ.
NZ won by one run on day 5.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:15:30
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 2000241
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I just got called a moron magnet because I was stirring up the cookers and it just went off.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:17:06
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 2000242
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


I just got called a moron magnet because I was stirring up the cookers and it just went off.

Wow, I have never seen so many cookers doubling down on the stupid before, Stephen Boris.
You are a moron magnet. lmao

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:19:27
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 2000244
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


ChrispenEvan said:

I just got called a moron magnet because I was stirring up the cookers and it just went off.

Wow, I have never seen so many cookers doubling down on the stupid before, Stephen Boris.
You are a moron magnet. lmao

I’ll say.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:19:58
From: dv
ID: 2000245
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

36 deg C in Perth.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:21:44
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000246
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


36 deg C in Perth.

Madness. About 20 degrees cooler here.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:26:30
From: Michael V
ID: 2000248
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Ripper of a test in NZ.
NZ won by one run on day 5.

Would’ve been one to watch. Buggrit.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:26:36
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 2000249
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

dv said:


36 deg C in Perth.

It was 45° in the shade so we stood in the sun.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:27:05
From: Michael V
ID: 2000250
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


ChrispenEvan said:

I just got called a moron magnet because I was stirring up the cookers and it just went off.

Wow, I have never seen so many cookers doubling down on the stupid before, Stephen Boris.
You are a moron magnet. lmao

IDGI

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:29:42
From: Cymek
ID: 2000252
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


ChrispenEvan said:

ChrispenEvan said:

I just got called a moron magnet because I was stirring up the cookers and it just went off.

Wow, I have never seen so many cookers doubling down on the stupid before, Stephen Boris.
You are a moron magnet. lmao

IDGI

I couldn’t decipher it either

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:30:27
From: fsm
ID: 2000253
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


dv said:

36 deg C in Perth.

Madness. About 20 degrees cooler here.

16c here in Melbs atm.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:32:04
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000256
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Sadly our local decent restaurant, Zeps, which was going for 23 years, is now closed forever.

https://www.zeps.com.au/

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:32:17
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 2000257
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


ChrispenEvan said:

ChrispenEvan said:

I just got called a moron magnet because I was stirring up the cookers and it just went off.

Wow, I have never seen so many cookers doubling down on the stupid before, Stephen Boris.
You are a moron magnet. lmao

IDGI

I posted

LOL, I love reading the cookers posts that show a complete lack of understanding the science.

The cookers argued with me. Then others joined in. then it was on for young and old. a good time was had by all. well me at least.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:35:16
From: Cymek
ID: 2000259
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Michael V said:

ChrispenEvan said:

Wow, I have never seen so many cookers doubling down on the stupid before, Stephen Boris.
You are a moron magnet. lmao

IDGI

I posted

LOL, I love reading the cookers posts that show a complete lack of understanding the science.

The cookers argued with me. Then others joined in. then it was on for young and old. a good time was had by all. well me at least.

Like drug addicted drug munted meth cookers who can cook the meth but don’t know how it works

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:39:33
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 2000261
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Sadly our local decent restaurant, Zeps, which was going for 23 years, is now closed forever.

https://www.zeps.com.au/

At least you didn’t burn it down.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:42:10
From: Trevtaowillgetyounowhere
ID: 2000262
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

Sadly our local decent restaurant, Zeps, which was going for 23 years, is now closed forever.

https://www.zeps.com.au/

At least you didn’t burn it down.

I was there when Cumberland burned down in ’81. What a glorious time!

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:43:05
From: Cymek
ID: 2000263
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

Sadly our local decent restaurant, Zeps, which was going for 23 years, is now closed forever.

https://www.zeps.com.au/

At least you didn’t burn it down.

He may have broken their window

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:45:15
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000264
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Bubblecar said:

Sadly our local decent restaurant, Zeps, which was going for 23 years, is now closed forever.

https://www.zeps.com.au/

At least you didn’t burn it down.

I had some fine meals there and loads of nice take-away pizzas when I was living just around the corner in that Bridge St place.

I would have eaten there more often (even though it would mean walking back here with a full stomach) if I’d known the difficulties they were in, but I’m just not privy to much local goss, being the type described in new reports as “a bit of a loner”.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:47:17
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000265
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Bubblecar said:

Sadly our local decent restaurant, Zeps, which was going for 23 years, is now closed forever.

https://www.zeps.com.au/

At least you didn’t burn it down.

I had some fine meals there and loads of nice take-away pizzas when I was living just around the corner in that Bridge St place.

I would have eaten there more often (even though it would mean walking back here with a full stomach) if I’d known the difficulties they were in, but I’m just not privy to much local goss, being the type described in new reports as “a bit of a loner”.

new reports = news reports

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:55:08
From: Michael V
ID: 2000272
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Michael V said:

ChrispenEvan said:

Wow, I have never seen so many cookers doubling down on the stupid before, Stephen Boris.
You are a moron magnet. lmao

IDGI

I posted

LOL, I love reading the cookers posts that show a complete lack of understanding the science.

The cookers argued with me. Then others joined in. then it was on for young and old. a good time was had by all. well me at least.

What’s a cooker? I mean I know that’s what a stove is when you go to the UK or Ireland.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:55:24
From: ms spock
ID: 2000273
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


hears kestrel overhead, has look, there’t is

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Iontach! (meaning wonderful, excellent, extremely impressive)

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:56:09
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000275
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Michael V said:

IDGI

I posted

LOL, I love reading the cookers posts that show a complete lack of understanding the science.

The cookers argued with me. Then others joined in. then it was on for young and old. a good time was had by all. well me at least.

What’s a cooker? I mean I know that’s what a stove is when you go to the UK or Ireland.

Anti-vaxxer.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:57:08
From: ms spock
ID: 2000277
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ruby said:


transition said:

hears kestrel overhead, has look, there’t is

Nice.
I have sulphur crested cockatoos eating the olives from my tree, and a family of bower birds eating my cherry tomatoes.
You’ll just have to imagine the beautiful photos I should have taken

Tá mé eg gáire Ruby! (Irish for I am laughing!)

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 17:59:19
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000279
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Time for a lay-me-down.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:00:01
From: ms spock
ID: 2000280
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


“UK choreographer, 46 caught speeding four times in a week avoids ban”

Shakes fist at choreographers

***joins in shaking her fist at the choreographers***

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:00:25
From: Michael V
ID: 2000281
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Michael V said:

ChrispenEvan said:

I posted

LOL, I love reading the cookers posts that show a complete lack of understanding the science.

The cookers argued with me. Then others joined in. then it was on for young and old. a good time was had by all. well me at least.

What’s a cooker? I mean I know that’s what a stove is when you go to the UK or Ireland.

Anti-vaxxer.

How on earth do they get that name?

(Or are you pulling my gullible leg?)

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:08:16
From: sarahs mum
ID: 2000283
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Marble Arch 1964

A 23-year-old John Wayne 🤠

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:10:08
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000284
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

Michael V said:

What’s a cooker? I mean I know that’s what a stove is when you go to the UK or Ireland.

Anti-vaxxer.

How on earth do they get that name?

(Or are you pulling my gullible leg?)

Cooked in the head, brains are fried etc.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:11:17
From: SCIENCE
ID: 2000285
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Peak Warming Man said:

“UK choreographer, 46 caught speeding four times in a week avoids ban”

Shakes fist at choreographers

***joins in shaking her fist at the choreographers***

but the other day they were telling us that we should happily leave alone the people who break the rules

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:11:27
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 2000286
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Bubblecar said:

Sadly our local decent restaurant, Zeps, which was going for 23 years, is now closed forever.

https://www.zeps.com.au/

At least you didn’t burn it down.

I had some fine meals there and loads of nice take-away pizzas when I was living just around the corner in that Bridge St place.

I would have eaten there more often (even though it would mean walking back here with a full stomach) if I’d known the difficulties they were in, but I’m just not privy to much local goss, being the type described in new reports as “a bit of a loner”.

You’re eating too much if you struggle to walk a short distance on a full stomach.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:14:59
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000288
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


A 23-year-old John Wayne 🤠


Those hands are yuge

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:24:03
From: ms spock
ID: 2000292
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Bubblecar said:

Michael V said:

What’s a cooker? I mean I know that’s what a stove is when you go to the UK or Ireland.

Anti-vaxxer.

How on earth do they get that name?

(Or are you pulling my gullible leg?)

Most importantly Michael V it is recommended that, upon encountering a cooker, that one simply ignore them. This will not only deflate their Main Character Syndrome, but will also protect your brain from becoming cooked.

What is a cooker Urban Dictionary Australia?
“Cooker” is Australian slang for “a crazy person”, according to Wiktionary, an online dictionary run by the Wikimedia Foundation, which also runs Wikipedia.

cooker – Wiktionary
https://en.wiktionary.org › wiki › cooker
(slang, Australia) A person who makes or uses illicit drugs, especially methamphetamine or cannabis. (slang, derogatory, Australia) A person who is cooked;

Cookers consist of people who believe a wide range of conspiracy theories, whether mainstream or fringe.

Multiple definitions of the term Cooker can be found on Urban Dictionary, though none really capture the true nature of the Cooker as demonstrated during the Conn-voy to Kambra 2022.

In the Qanon community cult, the “gifted” people who takes Q’s cryptic pronouncements (known to the cultists as breadcrumbs) then extrapolate and stretch them into semi-coherant ideas and conspiracies are lovingly known as Bakers. The cooker is a little lower on the social scale of far right nut jobs. The cooker doesn’t really create any new conspiracies, the cooker contributes to the cause by merely believing every conspiracy they ever hear, no matter how far fetched or moronic the conspiracy might be. Link name

Most cookers appear to have been formerly employed in low- to middle-income careers, and of at least below-average intelligence and of limited education. There are several outliers, of people who are of average intelligence…

Dunning-Kreuger Effect

The Dunning–Kruger effect is the cognitive bias whereby people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability. Some researchers also include in their definition the opposite effect for high performers: their tendency to underestimate their skills . This phenomenon is universally shared with these cookers, especially those who have worked in health fields. Those who work in quack-associated “health” fields are even more susceptible to this, and it is suspected that this may be a universal feature in this demographic.

However, even “everyday mums and dads” these days are experts in virology, epidemiology, vaccine development, and developmental psychology, thanks to their use of Facebook. Most of their information has been distributed using the “share” function, and at least 30% of their misinformation comes in the forms of Minions memes.

Livestreaming

The February 12 “insurrection” has demonstrated that most cookers will live-stream their presence throughout the various social media networks which many cookers are protesting against. So much so that the larger live-streamers have had difficulty streaming the events themselves, which has in turn made laughing at the cookers from online quite difficult.

This use of the technology (which tracks their every movement and their online habits) is deeply entwined with their catch-cry “If it’s not live-streamed, it didn’t happen”.
Interacting with the Cookers

Interestingly, unlike the the remainder of the population, who generally can conduct a civil debate, the vast majority of cookers have fixed thinking about all issues they feel strongly about. Even in the face of clear, concise and un-refutable evidence, they find the mere possibility of changing their mind about something abhorrent, and will quickly turn any discussion or debate into petty name-calling, or as recently demonstrated by the cooker 1andonlyree (who is currently in hospital, presumably from buthurt?), rhetoric and other nonsense.

It is recommended that, upon encountering a cooker, that one simply ignore them. This will not only deflate their Main Character Syndrome, but will also protect your brain from becoming cooked.

Treatment

Unfortunately, it appears that becoming a cooker is a terminal condition. No research has been conducted to support any therapy or medications, though it is believed that getting vaccinated may help prevent worsening of the condition.

Complementary or alternative therapies have been shown to worsen the cooker.

I thought it was a certain age group but I was wrong.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:26:47
From: sarahs mum
ID: 2000295
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

talking about cookers…Margaret contacted me this morning. I told her I was pissed about her messages yesterday. she told me not to shoot the messenger.

It was at the point that she said that Emma had been vaxxed and that is the reason for her stroke that I told her that she should just go get fd. i am fragile. i don’t need the shit. But one of Emma’s best friends also had a stroke after a vax! Brett told me!

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:29:11
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000296
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

How come I can do this on laptop but not ipad? Stoopid ipad. (I’m talking about linking. It will not work on the ipad. I just get “ this “ : with the URL.)

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:30:16
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000297
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


talking about cookers…Margaret contacted me this morning. I told her I was pissed about her messages yesterday. she told me not to shoot the messenger.

It was at the point that she said that Emma had been vaxxed and that is the reason for her stroke that I told her that she should just go get fd. i am fragile. i don’t need the shit. But one of Emma’s best friends also had a stroke after a vax! Brett told me!

Perhaps the Minion of Chaos requires a whole salt shaker, not just a grain.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:30:40
From: Cymek
ID: 2000298
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


talking about cookers…Margaret contacted me this morning. I told her I was pissed about her messages yesterday. she told me not to shoot the messenger.

It was at the point that she said that Emma had been vaxxed and that is the reason for her stroke that I told her that she should just go get fd. i am fragile. i don’t need the shit. But one of Emma’s best friends also had a stroke after a vax! Brett told me!

By sheer numbers of humans it could happen I suppose but not common

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:31:09
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 2000299
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


sarahs mum said:


A 23-year-old John Wayne 🤠


Those hands are yuge

Yet it’s all Milton Berle this, Milton Berle that.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:31:34
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000300
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


sarahs mum said:

talking about cookers…Margaret contacted me this morning. I told her I was pissed about her messages yesterday. she told me not to shoot the messenger.

It was at the point that she said that Emma had been vaxxed and that is the reason for her stroke that I told her that she should just go get fd. i am fragile. i don’t need the shit. But one of Emma’s best friends also had a stroke after a vax! Brett told me!

By sheer numbers of humans it could happen I suppose but not common

Strokes happen for all sorts of reasons. It’s like saying Emma had a stroke because she drank dihydrogen monoxide.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:31:39
From: Cymek
ID: 2000301
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


How come I can do this on laptop but not ipad? Stoopid ipad. (I’m talking about linking. It will not work on the ipad. I just get “ this “ : with the URL.)

Have no idea about Apple tech, security feature to prevent links taking you to something nasty ?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:32:23
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000302
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Divine Angel said:

How come I can do this on laptop but not ipad? Stoopid ipad. (I’m talking about linking. It will not work on the ipad. I just get “ this “ : with the URL.)

Have no idea about Apple tech, security feature to prevent links taking you to something nasty ?

Can’t be Apple, I’m coming to you via Mac.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:33:21
From: Cymek
ID: 2000303
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Cymek said:

sarahs mum said:

talking about cookers…Margaret contacted me this morning. I told her I was pissed about her messages yesterday. she told me not to shoot the messenger.

It was at the point that she said that Emma had been vaxxed and that is the reason for her stroke that I told her that she should just go get fd. i am fragile. i don’t need the shit. But one of Emma’s best friends also had a stroke after a vax! Brett told me!

By sheer numbers of humans it could happen I suppose but not common

Strokes happen for all sorts of reasons. It’s like saying Emma had a stroke because she drank dihydrogen monoxide.

Yes correlation isn’t causation

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:34:17
From: Cymek
ID: 2000304
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Cymek said:

Divine Angel said:

How come I can do this on laptop but not ipad? Stoopid ipad. (I’m talking about linking. It will not work on the ipad. I just get “ this “ : with the URL.)

Have no idea about Apple tech, security feature to prevent links taking you to something nasty ?

Can’t be Apple, I’m coming to you via Mac.

Computers doing frustrating things for no apparent reason perhaps

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:35:18
From: ms spock
ID: 2000306
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Divine Angel said:

Cymek said:

Have no idea about Apple tech, security feature to prevent links taking you to something nasty ?

Can’t be Apple, I’m coming to you via Mac.

Computers doing frustrating things for no apparent reason perhaps

Have you been to Safari for iPad to ask a question?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:36:39
From: sarahs mum
ID: 2000307
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Cymek said:

sarahs mum said:

talking about cookers…Margaret contacted me this morning. I told her I was pissed about her messages yesterday. she told me not to shoot the messenger.

It was at the point that she said that Emma had been vaxxed and that is the reason for her stroke that I told her that she should just go get fd. i am fragile. i don’t need the shit. But one of Emma’s best friends also had a stroke after a vax! Brett told me!

By sheer numbers of humans it could happen I suppose but not common

Strokes happen for all sorts of reasons. It’s like saying Emma had a stroke because she drank dihydrogen monoxide.

i think there is some data on strokes and young people and covid vax. yet four generations of heart problems and being a smoker…

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:37:20
From: ms spock
ID: 2000309
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

The Australian Irish Group have most of their website in Irish. It may take some time to translate it enough to work out where the homework is!

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:38:30
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000310
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:

Yes correlation isn’t causation

One of my friends has gone a bit cooker. She was always anti-vax but unless you brought it up she wouldn’t mention it, so it didn’t bother me much. A few months ago she started a tirade that vegetable oil (all kinds, not just palm or canola) was like drinking petrol. At her son’s birthday party, one of the gifts was a neoprene ice-block holder personalised with her son’s name and a caricature. Friend says, “I’ve been looking for something like this! I’ve been giving him ice-blocks wrapped in paper towel but it gets wet and with all the chemicals you just don’t know what he’s ingesting…” I’m thinking, you’re worried about wet paper towel but not neoprene and whatever chemicals they used in the ink?????

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:38:54
From: Divine Angel
ID: 2000311
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Cymek said:

Divine Angel said:

Can’t be Apple, I’m coming to you via Mac.

Computers doing frustrating things for no apparent reason perhaps

Have you been to Safari for iPad to ask a question?

Why the f would I use Safari for anything?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:39:22
From: SCIENCE
ID: 2000312
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Divine Angel said:

Cymek said:

By sheer numbers of humans it could happen I suppose but not common

Strokes happen for all sorts of reasons. It’s like saying Emma had a stroke because she drank dihydrogen monoxide.

Yes correlation isn’t causation

we mean with supposedly 103.565% of Australians having had some vaccination you can be pretty sure all strokes happened after getting one

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:40:40
From: SCIENCE
ID: 2000314
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


ms spock said:

Cymek said:

Computers doing frustrating things for no apparent reason perhaps

Have you been to Safari for iPad to ask a question?

Why the f would I use Safari for anything?

we thought it was just the automatic formatting and insertion of spaces

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:40:54
From: Michael V
ID: 2000316
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

Anti-vaxxer.

How on earth do they get that name?

(Or are you pulling my gullible leg?)

Most importantly Michael V it is recommended that, upon encountering a cooker, that one simply ignore them. This will not only deflate their Main Character Syndrome, but will also protect your brain from becoming cooked.

What is a cooker Urban Dictionary Australia?
“Cooker” is Australian slang for “a crazy person”, according to Wiktionary, an online dictionary run by the Wikimedia Foundation, which also runs Wikipedia.

cooker – Wiktionary
https://en.wiktionary.org › wiki › cooker
(slang, Australia) A person who makes or uses illicit drugs, especially methamphetamine or cannabis. (slang, derogatory, Australia) A person who is cooked;

Cookers consist of people who believe a wide range of conspiracy theories, whether mainstream or fringe.

Multiple definitions of the term Cooker can be found on Urban Dictionary, though none really capture the true nature of the Cooker as demonstrated during the Conn-voy to Kambra 2022.

In the Qanon community cult, the “gifted” people who takes Q’s cryptic pronouncements (known to the cultists as breadcrumbs) then extrapolate and stretch them into semi-coherant ideas and conspiracies are lovingly known as Bakers. The cooker is a little lower on the social scale of far right nut jobs. The cooker doesn’t really create any new conspiracies, the cooker contributes to the cause by merely believing every conspiracy they ever hear, no matter how far fetched or moronic the conspiracy might be. Link name

Most cookers appear to have been formerly employed in low- to middle-income careers, and of at least below-average intelligence and of limited education. There are several outliers, of people who are of average intelligence…

Dunning-Kreuger Effect

The Dunning–Kruger effect is the cognitive bias whereby people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability. Some researchers also include in their definition the opposite effect for high performers: their tendency to underestimate their skills . This phenomenon is universally shared with these cookers, especially those who have worked in health fields. Those who work in quack-associated “health” fields are even more susceptible to this, and it is suspected that this may be a universal feature in this demographic.

However, even “everyday mums and dads” these days are experts in virology, epidemiology, vaccine development, and developmental psychology, thanks to their use of Facebook. Most of their information has been distributed using the “share” function, and at least 30% of their misinformation comes in the forms of Minions memes.

Livestreaming

The February 12 “insurrection” has demonstrated that most cookers will live-stream their presence throughout the various social media networks which many cookers are protesting against. So much so that the larger live-streamers have had difficulty streaming the events themselves, which has in turn made laughing at the cookers from online quite difficult.

This use of the technology (which tracks their every movement and their online habits) is deeply entwined with their catch-cry “If it’s not live-streamed, it didn’t happen”.
Interacting with the Cookers

Interestingly, unlike the the remainder of the population, who generally can conduct a civil debate, the vast majority of cookers have fixed thinking about all issues they feel strongly about. Even in the face of clear, concise and un-refutable evidence, they find the mere possibility of changing their mind about something abhorrent, and will quickly turn any discussion or debate into petty name-calling, or as recently demonstrated by the cooker 1andonlyree (who is currently in hospital, presumably from buthurt?), rhetoric and other nonsense.

It is recommended that, upon encountering a cooker, that one simply ignore them. This will not only deflate their Main Character Syndrome, but will also protect your brain from becoming cooked.

Treatment

Unfortunately, it appears that becoming a cooker is a terminal condition. No research has been conducted to support any therapy or medications, though it is believed that getting vaccinated may help prevent worsening of the condition.

Complementary or alternative therapies have been shown to worsen the cooker.

I thought it was a certain age group but I was wrong.

Ta.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:43:45
From: ms spock
ID: 2000318
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


ms spock said:

Cymek said:

Computers doing frustrating things for no apparent reason perhaps

Have you been to Safari for iPad to ask a question?

Why the f would I use Safari for anything?

Is it not good? Because someone told me to go there. But I didn’t stay long enough to find out if I could work it out.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:44:13
From: Michael V
ID: 2000319
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Marble Arch 1964

A 23-year-old John Wayne 🤠

I could’ve been in the Marble Arch photo. I was there in 1964. A couple of times, IIRC.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:45:16
From: Michael V
ID: 2000320
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


Michael V said:

Bubblecar said:

Anti-vaxxer.

How on earth do they get that name?

(Or are you pulling my gullible leg?)

Cooked in the head, brains are fried etc.

Ta.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:48:36
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 2000322
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Power went off about an hour ago. then the rescue helicopter went over and circles. started genny. a road crash just down the road. must have taken a pole out.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:50:51
From: Michael V
ID: 2000323
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Well, I’d better go back to shelling the crab. It doesn’t seem to want to do itself…

Crab-potato-corn chowder to be prepared for dinner. Need to make stock from the shell first.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 18:58:56
From: AussieDJ
ID: 2000327
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Michael V said:

ChrispenEvan said:

Wow, I have never seen so many cookers doubling down on the stupid before, Stephen Boris.
You are a moron magnet. lmao

IDGI

I posted

LOL, I love reading the cookers posts that show a complete lack of understanding the science.

The cookers argued with me. Then others joined in. then it was on for young and old. a good time was had by all. well me at least.

I wanna see! Which website?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 19:15:07
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 2000330
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Well, I’d better go back to shelling the crab. It doesn’t seem to want to do itself…

Crab-potato-corn chowder to be prepared for dinner. Need to make stock from the shell first.

Remember there’s no asian spices in crab chowder.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 19:32:01
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 2000334
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

AussieDJ said:


ChrispenEvan said:

Michael V said:

IDGI

I posted

LOL, I love reading the cookers posts that show a complete lack of understanding the science.

The cookers argued with me. Then others joined in. then it was on for young and old. a good time was had by all. well me at least.

I wanna see! Which website?

https://www.facebook.com/news.com.au/posts/pfbid02qhic2GR1LZDHG41devVrxrfh1LZ2uChsJC9u6yUXtR1jsBo2XiWsFWZx5UyMQZnYl

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 19:32:22
From: Michael V
ID: 2000335
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Michael V said:


Well, I’d better go back to shelling the crab. It doesn’t seem to want to do itself…

Crab-potato-corn chowder to be prepared for dinner. Need to make stock from the shell first.

Crab shelled, meat extracted, shell fragments simmering to make stock.

Peel and cut up potatoes next.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 19:34:22
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 2000336
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


Power went off about an hour ago. then the rescue helicopter went over and circles. started genny. a road crash just down the road. must have taken a pole out.

Looks like a two car incident. just western power there coming back from town.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 19:34:48
From: Michael V
ID: 2000337
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Michael V said:

Well, I’d better go back to shelling the crab. It doesn’t seem to want to do itself…

Crab-potato-corn chowder to be prepared for dinner. Need to make stock from the shell first.

Remember there’s no asian spices in crab chowder.

Yes. I want the delicate flavour of the crab to shine through.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 19:46:42
From: AussieDJ
ID: 2000348
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


AussieDJ said:

ChrispenEvan said:

I posted

LOL, I love reading the cookers posts that show a complete lack of understanding the science.

The cookers argued with me. Then others joined in. then it was on for young and old. a good time was had by all. well me at least.

I wanna see! Which website?

https://www.facebook.com/news.com.au/posts/pfbid02qhic2GR1LZDHG41devVrxrfh1LZ2uChsJC9u6yUXtR1jsBo2XiWsFWZx5UyMQZnYl

Link

Thank you.

Settling in for a read.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 19:48:12
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 2000352
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sibeen has worked his magic and the power has been restored.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 19:58:22
From: buffy
ID: 2000368
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Divine Angel said:


At my funeral, this is gonna be played

Mr buffy wants “Life is a lemon and I want my money back”. Dunno what else.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 20:27:01
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 2000379
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Last night I put a fishing reel boris posted into google and today I’ve been flooded by fishing tackle ads and it doesn’t look like stopping.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 20:30:19
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 2000381
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Last night I put a fishing reel boris posted into google and today I’ve been flooded by fishing tackle ads and it doesn’t look like stopping.

you’ve been hooked.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 20:40:44
From: OCDC
ID: 2000384
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

I get IVF and female self-catheterisation ads.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 20:43:23
From: OCDC
ID: 2000385
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Pls note that I personally do not require either of these. Yet.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 20:44:44
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 2000386
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

OCDC said:


I get IVF and female self-catheterisation ads.

What the hell were you searching for?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 20:45:58
From: SCIENCE
ID: 2000387
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:

OCDC said:

I get IVF and female self-catheterisation ads.

What the hell were you searching for?

Türkiye.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 20:48:17
From: sarahs mum
ID: 2000388
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

contacted Brett’s Sarah. She described Emma’s stroke as serious but says she is out of ICU.

I told her she was an amazing resilient woman and she never fails to impress me and to pass on my bests and to get back to me sometime and tell me how things are going.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 20:50:17
From: OCDC
ID: 2000390
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


OCDC said:

I get IVF and female self-catheterisation ads.

What the hell were you searching for?

Not IVF but I did look up catheterisation.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 20:50:36
From: OCDC
ID: 2000391
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


OCDC said:

I get IVF and female self-catheterisation ads.

What the hell were you searching for?

Not IVF but I did look up catheterisation.

Pacifically after spinal cord injuries.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 20:51:15
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000392
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


contacted Brett’s Sarah. She described Emma’s stroke as serious but says she is out of ICU.

I told her she was an amazing resilient woman and she never fails to impress me and to pass on my bests and to get back to me sometime and tell me how things are going.

Hoe old are those sisters now?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 20:53:00
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 2000394
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 20:53:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000395
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

contacted Brett’s Sarah. She described Emma’s stroke as serious but says she is out of ICU.

I told her she was an amazing resilient woman and she never fails to impress me and to pass on my bests and to get back to me sometime and tell me how things are going.

Hoe old are those sisters now?

Hoe -= how

And I’m glad she’s out ICU.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 20:54:02
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000397
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:



The earth is healing .

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 20:55:53
From: sarahs mum
ID: 2000398
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Bubblecar said:


sarahs mum said:

contacted Brett’s Sarah. She described Emma’s stroke as serious but says she is out of ICU.

I told her she was an amazing resilient woman and she never fails to impress me and to pass on my bests and to get back to me sometime and tell me how things are going.

Hoe old are those sisters now?

38 and 40?

How did that happen?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 20:59:45
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000400
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


Bubblecar said:

sarahs mum said:

contacted Brett’s Sarah. She described Emma’s stroke as serious but says she is out of ICU.

I told her she was an amazing resilient woman and she never fails to impress me and to pass on my bests and to get back to me sometime and tell me how things are going.

Hoe old are those sisters now?

38 and 40?

How did that happen?

Yeah it’s crazy. My oldest nephew (the one who does the wilderness walks) is 46 this year.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 21:05:45
From: buffy
ID: 2000401
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:



Or suction cupping it right way up because it fell on its head?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 21:43:07
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 2000412
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

how did you go aussiedj?

:-)

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 21:57:20
From: AussieDJ
ID: 2000416
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ChrispenEvan said:


how did you go aussiedj?

:-)

Hmmm. You set ‘em off nicely!

Good fun.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 22:24:15
From: party_pants
ID: 2000418
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Last night I put a fishing reel boris posted into google and today I’ve been flooded by fishing tackle ads and it doesn’t look like stopping.

haha… sucks to be you.

Right now I getting YouTube suggesting all sorts of weird and wonderful new farm machinery.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 22:27:31
From: sarahs mum
ID: 2000419
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Last night I put a fishing reel boris posted into google and today I’ve been flooded by fishing tackle ads and it doesn’t look like stopping.

haha… sucks to be you.

Right now I getting YouTube suggesting all sorts of weird and wonderful new farm machinery.

that would be useful with my selective herbicide ads.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 22:32:22
From: party_pants
ID: 2000420
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


party_pants said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Last night I put a fishing reel boris posted into google and today I’ve been flooded by fishing tackle ads and it doesn’t look like stopping.

haha… sucks to be you.

Right now I getting YouTube suggesting all sorts of weird and wonderful new farm machinery.

that would be useful with my selective herbicide ads.

I live on a 250 m 2 cottage block in suburbia. I have nowhere to park, let alone sue such devices.

But i clicked on some random YouTube link of “10 amazing invention you must sse” type thing, and it all went down the rabbit hole from there.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 22:37:00
From: party_pants
ID: 2000421
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


sarahs mum said:

party_pants said:

haha… sucks to be you.

Right now I getting YouTube suggesting all sorts of weird and wonderful new farm machinery.

that would be useful with my selective herbicide ads.

I live on a 250 m 2 cottage block in suburbia. I have nowhere to park, let alone sue such devices.

But i clicked on some random YouTube link of “10 amazing invention you must sse” type thing, and it all went down the rabbit hole from there.

use
see

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 22:46:30
From: Kingy
ID: 2000422
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


sarahs mum said:

party_pants said:

haha… sucks to be you.

Right now I getting YouTube suggesting all sorts of weird and wonderful new farm machinery.

that would be useful with my selective herbicide ads.

I live on a 250 m 2 cottage block in suburbia. I have nowhere to park, let alone sue such devices.

But i clicked on some random YouTube link of “10 amazing invention you must sse” type thing, and it all went down the rabbit hole from there.

Some years ago I watched a youtube on Krakatoa. Every time I open youtube or play a vid, this same Krakatoa vid is in the top 5 suggestions. Nearly every time. It’s been suggested to me around 500 times. It won’t give up.

I’ve adopted it now, if it’s going to live on my screen, I might as well get it to pay rent.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 22:51:50
From: Neophyte
ID: 2000423
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


party_pants said:

sarahs mum said:

that would be useful with my selective herbicide ads.

I live on a 250 m 2 cottage block in suburbia. I have nowhere to park, let alone sue such devices.

But i clicked on some random YouTube link of “10 amazing invention you must sse” type thing, and it all went down the rabbit hole from there.

Some years ago I watched a youtube on Krakatoa. Every time I open youtube or play a vid, this same Krakatoa vid is in the top 5 suggestions. Nearly every time. It’s been suggested to me around 500 times. It won’t give up.

I’ve adopted it now, if it’s going to live on my screen, I might as well get it to pay rent.

Do you live east or west of Java…?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 22:52:52
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 2000424
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


party_pants said:

sarahs mum said:

that would be useful with my selective herbicide ads.

I live on a 250 m 2 cottage block in suburbia. I have nowhere to park, let alone sue such devices.

But i clicked on some random YouTube link of “10 amazing invention you must sse” type thing, and it all went down the rabbit hole from there.

Some years ago I watched a youtube on Krakatoa. Every time I open youtube or play a vid, this same Krakatoa vid is in the top 5 suggestions. Nearly every time. It’s been suggested to me around 500 times. It won’t give up.

I’ve adopted it now, if it’s going to live on my screen, I might as well get it to pay rent.

every so often i go through my homepage on youtube and tell it “not interested” then when it asks why I tell it because i’ve seen it. or i tell it not to recommend this channel.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 22:53:57
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 2000425
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Neophyte said:


Kingy said:

party_pants said:

I live on a 250 m 2 cottage block in suburbia. I have nowhere to park, let alone sue such devices.

But i clicked on some random YouTube link of “10 amazing invention you must sse” type thing, and it all went down the rabbit hole from there.

Some years ago I watched a youtube on Krakatoa. Every time I open youtube or play a vid, this same Krakatoa vid is in the top 5 suggestions. Nearly every time. It’s been suggested to me around 500 times. It won’t give up.

I’ve adopted it now, if it’s going to live on my screen, I might as well get it to pay rent.

Do you live east or west of Java…?

east

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 23:02:43
From: party_pants
ID: 2000428
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Anyone interested in doing a Holiday Forum AFL tipping comp for the upcoming season.

Via the AFL website. Mo Money. Just bragging rights only.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 23:09:16
From: sarahs mum
ID: 2000429
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Anyone interested in doing a Holiday Forum AFL tipping comp for the upcoming season.

Via the AFL website. Mo Money. Just bragging rights only.

i think Car and i should do it so you have a control group.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 23:11:11
From: ChrispenEvan
ID: 2000430
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed_s3xysbR4

Link

Scott Manley on rocket fuels. Chemistry lesson. He is always good.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 23:23:01
From: Kingy
ID: 2000431
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Anyone interested in doing a Holiday Forum AFL tipping comp for the upcoming season.

Via the AFL website. Mo Money. Just bragging rights only.

Sounds threadworthy.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 23:28:23
From: party_pants
ID: 2000432
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


party_pants said:

Anyone interested in doing a Holiday Forum AFL tipping comp for the upcoming season.

Via the AFL website. Mo Money. Just bragging rights only.

Sounds threadworthy.

OK.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 23:28:29
From: sarahs mum
ID: 2000433
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


party_pants said:

Anyone interested in doing a Holiday Forum AFL tipping comp for the upcoming season.

Via the AFL website. Mo Money. Just bragging rights only.

Sounds threadworthy.

i’d prefer to just type in a thread than have to go to the AFL site.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 23:41:03
From: Kingy
ID: 2000436
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

party_pants said:


Kingy said:

party_pants said:

Anyone interested in doing a Holiday Forum AFL tipping comp for the upcoming season.

Via the AFL website. Mo Money. Just bragging rights only.

Sounds threadworthy.

OK.

I’ll join up tomorrow, I’ve got nanna here tonight.

TTFN.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/02/2023 23:44:21
From: party_pants
ID: 2000437
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Kingy said:


party_pants said:

Kingy said:

Sounds threadworthy.

OK.

I’ll join up tomorrow, I’ve got nanna here tonight.

TTFN.

Me too. 6.30am start today and bloody 38C. I’m stuffed.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 01:23:43
From: sarahs mum
ID: 2000461
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

THE RIVER THAMES MUDLARKING FINDS
Chris Gledhill · 18 m ·
Just a couple of cannons I spotted laying about on the Thames path.
Many London road bollards are actually recycled cannons captured from the French navy during the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.
Later street bollards were designed in the style of upended cannons to match this trend. Until they dig them up, it’s hard to tell which are actual cannons and which are cannon style bollards.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 01:27:38
From: Bubblecar
ID: 2000463
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


THE RIVER THAMES MUDLARKING FINDS
Chris Gledhill · 18 m ·
Just a couple of cannons I spotted laying about on the Thames path.
Many London road bollards are actually recycled cannons captured from the French navy during the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.
Later street bollards were designed in the style of upended cannons to match this trend. Until they dig them up, it’s hard to tell which are actual cannons and which are cannon style bollards.

Heh.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 03:21:18
From: kii
ID: 2000466
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Another awful piece of news. A friend died last week. I’ve known her since primary school. We shared a flat in Tamarama for a few years. I encouraged her to get her ears pierced when we were 19, and I had an extra one done in solidarity.
Her son announced her death in a fb group for our high school group – SGHS 1969 to 1974 and I can’t find the group. I’ve also been tagged by another friend in the group, but no notification has arrived. Why do I get the feeling that I’ve be banned from it?

Cool morning, shopping arriving soon, more windy weather later on today.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 04:29:56
From: roughbarked
ID: 2000472
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cymek said:


Divine Angel said:

Cymek said:

Have no idea about Apple tech, security feature to prevent links taking you to something nasty ?

Can’t be Apple, I’m coming to you via Mac.

Computers doing frustrating things for no apparent reason perhaps

My son informed me long ago that an iPad isn’t the same as a computer or a phone.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 06:06:16
From: roughbarked
ID: 2000480
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

‘My wife is dead’:https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2023-03-01/replika-users-fell-in-love-with-their-ai-chatbot-companion/102028196 How a software update ‘lobotomised’ these online lovers

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 06:07:27
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 2000481
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Plants call for help with a chemical employed by people as a drug
They talk through their roots, asking others to summon wasps, using L-DOPA

Feb 15th 2023

Botanists have known for years that some plants send distress calls when under attack from herbivorous insects such as aphids, and that these calls lead neighbours to release volatile chemicals which draw other insects into the area, to attack the attackers. This response brings mutual benefits. It helps the plant already under attack. And it also stops the infestation spreading.

That at least some of these calls for help travel underground is also clear, but the details were murky. Now, a study published in Ecology Letters by Emilio Guerrieri of the Institute for Sustainable Plant Protection, in Turin, has shown that these subterranean cries for help are made using a molecule, l-dopa, which achieved fame in the 1990s as the star of a film called “Awakenings”.

“Awakenings” is based on cases described in his own, non-fiction, book of that name by Oliver Sacks, a psychiatrist who lived in New York. Sacks used l-dopa, a precursor of several so-called neurotransmitters, including dopamine and epinephrine, which carry signals between neurons in animals, to treat victims of encephalitis lethargica, a mysterious illness that spread around the world in the second and third decades of the 20th century. Encephalitis lethargica caused catatonia. l-dopa permitted victims to awaken, though only for a while.

Dr Guerrieri worked with broad-bean plants, pea aphids and wasps called Aphidius ervi, which lay their eggs in aphids (see picture). Past studies had shown that broad beans can recruit neighbours as allies even when covered with plastic bags—hence the belief that the signals involved were subterranean. But no one knew the chemical doing the recruiting. By growing the beans hydroponically, rather than in soil, he and his colleagues were able to find out.

They raised 80 bean plants, infested 40 of them with aphids two weeks after germination, and then, three days later, tested samples of the hydroponic solution of each using a process called bioassay-guided fractionation. The principal difference they found turned out to be levels of l-dopa. And when, having discovered that, they raised further batches of beans and fed synthetic l-dopa to half of each batch, they discovered, first, that those receiving the molecule, but not the others, were indeed attractive to A. ervi, and, second, that these plants produced more than the others of three particular chemicals which previous work has suggested are the wasp-attracting substances.

That l-dopa plays a role (albeit a different one) in communication in species as diverse as human beings and bean plants is intriguing. But it is also useful information. What works for broad beans probably works for a range of other crops. And l-dopa is easy and cheap to manufacture. So it might make sense to add it to irrigation systems, thereby discouraging aphids by recruiting wasps to the cause.

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2023/02/15/plants-call-for-help-with-a-chemical-employed-by-people-as-a-drug?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 06:13:17
From: roughbarked
ID: 2000482
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Plants call for help with a chemical employed by people as a drug
They talk through their roots, asking others to summon wasps, using L-DOPA

Feb 15th 2023

Botanists have known for years that some plants send distress calls when under attack from herbivorous insects such as aphids, and that these calls lead neighbours to release volatile chemicals which draw other insects into the area, to attack the attackers. This response brings mutual benefits. It helps the plant already under attack. And it also stops the infestation spreading.

That at least some of these calls for help travel underground is also clear, but the details were murky. Now, a study published in Ecology Letters by Emilio Guerrieri of the Institute for Sustainable Plant Protection, in Turin, has shown that these subterranean cries for help are made using a molecule, l-dopa, which achieved fame in the 1990s as the star of a film called “Awakenings”.

“Awakenings” is based on cases described in his own, non-fiction, book of that name by Oliver Sacks, a psychiatrist who lived in New York. Sacks used l-dopa, a precursor of several so-called neurotransmitters, including dopamine and epinephrine, which carry signals between neurons in animals, to treat victims of encephalitis lethargica, a mysterious illness that spread around the world in the second and third decades of the 20th century. Encephalitis lethargica caused catatonia. l-dopa permitted victims to awaken, though only for a while.

Dr Guerrieri worked with broad-bean plants, pea aphids and wasps called Aphidius ervi, which lay their eggs in aphids (see picture). Past studies had shown that broad beans can recruit neighbours as allies even when covered with plastic bags—hence the belief that the signals involved were subterranean. But no one knew the chemical doing the recruiting. By growing the beans hydroponically, rather than in soil, he and his colleagues were able to find out.

They raised 80 bean plants, infested 40 of them with aphids two weeks after germination, and then, three days later, tested samples of the hydroponic solution of each using a process called bioassay-guided fractionation. The principal difference they found turned out to be levels of l-dopa. And when, having discovered that, they raised further batches of beans and fed synthetic l-dopa to half of each batch, they discovered, first, that those receiving the molecule, but not the others, were indeed attractive to A. ervi, and, second, that these plants produced more than the others of three particular chemicals which previous work has suggested are the wasp-attracting substances.

That l-dopa plays a role (albeit a different one) in communication in species as diverse as human beings and bean plants is intriguing. But it is also useful information. What works for broad beans probably works for a range of other crops. And l-dopa is easy and cheap to manufacture. So it might make sense to add it to irrigation systems, thereby discouraging aphids by recruiting wasps to the cause.

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2023/02/15/plants-call-for-help-with-a-chemical-employed-by-people-as-a-drug?


I fucking love science because there is even more to learn from what we’ve just learned.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 06:26:59
From: Witty Rejoinder
ID: 2000483
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Flexible tool set transport in Goffin’s cockatoos

Highlights
• Captive Goffin’s cockatoos are able to innovate the flexible use of a tool set
• Goffin’s can switch flexibly between transporting a tool set or individual tools
• Results suggest the ability to recognize the need for a tool set
• Results suggest a convergence of associative tool use between birds and primates

https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(23)00057-X?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 06:28:13
From: roughbarked
ID: 2000484
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Witty Rejoinder said:


Flexible tool set transport in Goffin’s cockatoos

Highlights
• Captive Goffin’s cockatoos are able to innovate the flexible use of a tool set
• Goffin’s can switch flexibly between transporting a tool set or individual tools
• Results suggest the ability to recognize the need for a tool set
• Results suggest a convergence of associative tool use between birds and primates

https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(23)00057-X?

Clever blighters aren’t they.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 06:34:02
From: roughbarked
ID: 2000485
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning to all.
It is 15.7 degrees and heading for 29.
No stars which means it is currently overcast. Though nil chance of rain.
Our summer has been mild but it looks like the autimn is going to be way warmer than usual.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 06:49:43
From: roughbarked
ID: 2000487
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Australia’s most intact Cooyoo australis fossil discovered in Richmond with specimen in its belly

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 06:51:08
From: ms spock
ID: 2000488
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Dia dhaoibh folks!

Big day lots to do!

Off out of the starting gate. Will catch up with the forum later on.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 06:51:51
From: roughbarked
ID: 2000489
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

ms spock said:


Dia dhaoibh folks!

Big day lots to do!

Off out of the starting gate. Will catch up with the forum later on.

Enjoy your day.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 06:53:56
From: ms spock
ID: 2000490
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


ms spock said:

Dia dhaoibh folks!

Big day lots to do!

Off out of the starting gate. Will catch up with the forum later on.

Enjoy your day.

Sláinte roughbarked! (Cheers and good health to you!)

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 06:56:08
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 2000491
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 06:58:28
From: ms spock
ID: 2000492
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Tau.Neutrino said:


Morning

Dia dhuit ar maidin (Good morning!)

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 10:19:30
From: sarahs mum
ID: 2000528
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


Another awful piece of news. A friend died last week. I’ve known her since primary school. We shared a flat in Tamarama for a few years. I encouraged her to get her ears pierced when we were 19, and I had an extra one done in solidarity.
Her son announced her death in a fb group for our high school group – SGHS 1969 to 1974 and I can’t find the group. I’ve also been tagged by another friend in the group, but no notification has arrived. Why do I get the feeling that I’ve be banned from it?

Cool morning, shopping arriving soon, more windy weather later on today.

:( sorry.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 10:34:49
From: kii
ID: 2000531
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


kii said:

Another awful piece of news. A friend died last week. I’ve known her since primary school. We shared a flat in Tamarama for a few years. I encouraged her to get her ears pierced when we were 19, and I had an extra one done in solidarity.
Her son announced her death in a fb group for our high school group – SGHS 1969 to 1974 and I can’t find the group. I’ve also been tagged by another friend in the group, but no notification has arrived. Why do I get the feeling that I’ve be banned from it?

Cool morning, shopping arriving soon, more windy weather later on today.

:( sorry.

Thanks. I’ve managed to talk to another friend from that era. Still blocked from fb group.
Fuck cancer.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 10:41:06
From: sarahs mum
ID: 2000534
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

kii said:


sarahs mum said:

kii said:

Another awful piece of news. A friend died last week. I’ve known her since primary school. We shared a flat in Tamarama for a few years. I encouraged her to get her ears pierced when we were 19, and I had an extra one done in solidarity.
Her son announced her death in a fb group for our high school group – SGHS 1969 to 1974 and I can’t find the group. I’ve also been tagged by another friend in the group, but no notification has arrived. Why do I get the feeling that I’ve be banned from it?

Cool morning, shopping arriving soon, more windy weather later on today.

:( sorry.

Thanks. I’ve managed to talk to another friend from that era. Still blocked from fb group.
Fuck cancer.

also getting to the age when everyone is dropping. I remember my Mum going through this. it was better when we were all robust and impenetrable.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/03/2023 10:59:56
From: kii
ID: 2000547
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

sarahs mum said:


kii said:

sarahs mum said:

:( sorry.

Thanks. I’ve managed to talk to another friend from that era. Still blocked from fb group.
Fuck cancer.

also getting to the age when everyone is dropping. I remember my Mum going through this. it was better when we were all robust and impenetrable.

Yep, though my peer group from high school had a number of drug overdoses, murders and accidents after we left school.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/04/2023 05:54:41
From: monkey skipper
ID: 2019363
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good Morning People.

https://youtu.be/3CkLMG5NwUg

Reply Quote

Date: 15/04/2023 06:17:32
From: roughbarked
ID: 2019364
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Good morning.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/04/2023 06:28:26
From: monkey skipper
ID: 2019365
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Good morning.

Hey RB.

Autumn weather in SEQ is pleasant.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/04/2023 06:30:58
From: roughbarked
ID: 2019366
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

monkey skipper said:


roughbarked said:

Good morning.

Hey RB.

Autumn weather in SEQ is pleasant.

Generally, autumn is amenable, :)

Reply Quote

Date: 15/04/2023 06:36:22
From: roughbarked
ID: 2019367
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Cloudy. High chance of showers, most likely late this afternoon and evening. Winds NE 15 to 20 km/h turning N 20 to 30 km/h during the morning. Daytime maximum temperatures in the low to mid 20s. 90% chance of 5 to 10mm. They say.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/04/2023 06:42:45
From: monkey skipper
ID: 2019368
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


monkey skipper said:

roughbarked said:

Good morning.

Hey RB.

Autumn weather in SEQ is pleasant.

Generally, autumn is amenable, :)

What do you think happens to the human developing brain in generations where arithmetic is done more and more by calculators and less children grow up doing mental arithmetic as previous generations did?

Quantum computing is important and the peace of mind that calculators reduce the human error component. I cannot imagine how previous generations coped with all of the manual calculations occurred with teams of people working on the calculations to solve complex equations, for example.

However, the brain does a major restructure around the age of 14 years , where is retain the neural pathways that have connected remain and those least used or not used pathways are culled.

I do wonder what this means across the population over the next few generations. The reliance on AI , whether that be our phones , AI robots or a calculator are we breeding a less independently intelligent human race?

Should the education process value maintaining some skills will always remain important as well as growing future generations of tech savvy populations?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/04/2023 06:46:36
From: roughbarked
ID: 2019369
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

monkey skipper said:


roughbarked said:

monkey skipper said:

Hey RB.

Autumn weather in SEQ is pleasant.

Generally, autumn is amenable, :)

What do you think happens to the human developing brain in generations where arithmetic is done more and more by calculators and less children grow up doing mental arithmetic as previous generations did?

Quantum computing is important and the peace of mind that calculators reduce the human error component. I cannot imagine how previous generations coped with all of the manual calculations occurred with teams of people working on the calculations to solve complex equations, for example.

However, the brain does a major restructure around the age of 14 years , where is retain the neural pathways that have connected remain and those least used or not used pathways are culled.

I do wonder what this means across the population over the next few generations. The reliance on AI , whether that be our phones , AI robots or a calculator are we breeding a less independently intelligent human race?

Should the education process value maintaining some skills will always remain important as well as growing future generations of tech savvy populations?

I suppose we will have to wait and see, though there are already what seem to be alarming changes,

Reply Quote

Date: 15/04/2023 06:51:28
From: monkey skipper
ID: 2019370
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


monkey skipper said:

roughbarked said:

Generally, autumn is amenable, :)

What do you think happens to the human developing brain in generations where arithmetic is done more and more by calculators and less children grow up doing mental arithmetic as previous generations did?

Quantum computing is important and the peace of mind that calculators reduce the human error component. I cannot imagine how previous generations coped with all of the manual calculations occurred with teams of people working on the calculations to solve complex equations, for example.

However, the brain does a major restructure around the age of 14 years , where is retain the neural pathways that have connected remain and those least used or not used pathways are culled.

I do wonder what this means across the population over the next few generations. The reliance on AI , whether that be our phones , AI robots or a calculator are we breeding a less independently intelligent human race?

Should the education process value maintaining some skills will always remain important as well as growing future generations of tech savvy populations?

I suppose we will have to wait and see, though there are already what seem to be alarming changes,

I sometimes think about this scenario, that the world’s power power systems collapse , meaning there is now electricity grids that power cities due to some global event. I then consider how well equipped are most humans to be self sufficient in such an event. I always come back to the same conclusion that analog will continue to have a purpose in the world and so will cash.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/04/2023 06:53:27
From: monkey skipper
ID: 2019372
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

edits:

I sometimes think about this scenario of …. the world’s power systems collapse… meaning there is no electricity grids that power cities due to some global event.

I then consider…… how well equipped are most humans to be self sufficient in such an event.

I always come back to the same conclusion that analog will continue to have a purpose in the world and so will cash.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/04/2023 06:58:21
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 2019374
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Morning punters, the birds are singing, the butchers and Maggie’s are sounding like an orchestra, the white winged coughs and friar birds are sounding like a heavy metal band.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/04/2023 07:02:39
From: roughbarked
ID: 2019376
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Peak Warming Man said:


Morning punters, the birds are singing, the butchers and Maggie’s are sounding like an orchestra, the white winged coughs and friar birds are sounding like a heavy metal band.

A voice from the past.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/04/2023 07:16:02
From: JudgeMental
ID: 2019377
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


Peak Warming Man said:

Morning punters, the birds are singing, the butchers and Maggie’s are sounding like an orchestra, the white winged coughs and friar birds are sounding like a heavy metal band.

A voice from the past.

Queenslander…

Reply Quote

Date: 15/04/2023 07:27:21
From: buffy
ID: 2019378
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

Hmm…the wind has dropped for a bit.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/04/2023 07:46:00
From: roughbarked
ID: 2019380
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


Hmm…the wind has dropped for a bit.

Surely it isn’t still blowing since February?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/04/2023 08:46:49
From: transition
ID: 2019395
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

monkey skipper said:


roughbarked said:

monkey skipper said:

What do you think happens to the human developing brain in generations where arithmetic is done more and more by calculators and less children grow up doing mental arithmetic as previous generations did?

Quantum computing is important and the peace of mind that calculators reduce the human error component. I cannot imagine how previous generations coped with all of the manual calculations occurred with teams of people working on the calculations to solve complex equations, for example.

However, the brain does a major restructure around the age of 14 years , where is retain the neural pathways that have connected remain and those least used or not used pathways are culled.

I do wonder what this means across the population over the next few generations. The reliance on AI , whether that be our phones , AI robots or a calculator are we breeding a less independently intelligent human race?

Should the education process value maintaining some skills will always remain important as well as growing future generations of tech savvy populations?

I suppose we will have to wait and see, though there are already what seem to be alarming changes,

I sometimes think about this scenario, that the world’s power power systems collapse , meaning there is now electricity grids that power cities due to some global event. I then consider how well equipped are most humans to be self sufficient in such an event. I always come back to the same conclusion that analog will continue to have a purpose in the world and so will cash.

>….the human error component….”

in fact human brains do computation of all sorts, even the apparently most routine things require it, and consider with that human minds do error correction all the time, in fact the error correction systems are necessary part of the computation systems, the thing actually looks for errors in the system, process errors, which includes (of scope, potentials) applications of varied processing, exploration of and discovery of processes – different ways

…but of what people defer to, for error correction…

you’ll note you can’t ride a bike in a straightish line without wobbles, in fact a straight line is corrections from a bunch of wobbles

Reply Quote

Date: 15/04/2023 08:51:45
From: roughbarked
ID: 2019397
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

transition said:


monkey skipper said:

roughbarked said:

I suppose we will have to wait and see, though there are already what seem to be alarming changes,

I sometimes think about this scenario, that the world’s power power systems collapse , meaning there is now electricity grids that power cities due to some global event. I then consider how well equipped are most humans to be self sufficient in such an event. I always come back to the same conclusion that analog will continue to have a purpose in the world and so will cash.

>….the human error component….”

in fact human brains do computation of all sorts, even the apparently most routine things require it, and consider with that human minds do error correction all the time, in fact the error correction systems are necessary part of the computation systems, the thing actually looks for errors in the system, process errors, which includes (of scope, potentials) applications of varied processing, exploration of and discovery of processes – different ways

…but of what people defer to, for error correction…

you’ll note you can’t ride a bike in a straightish line without wobbles, in fact a straight line is corrections from a bunch of wobbles

Did you ever read a small SF book called Earth Abides?

Earth Abides is a 1949 American post-apocalyptic science fiction novel by George R. Stewart. The novel tells the story of the fall of civilization from … https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Abides

Reply Quote

Date: 15/04/2023 09:29:29
From: buffy
ID: 2019402
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

roughbarked said:


buffy said:

Hmm…the wind has dropped for a bit.

Surely it isn’t still blowing since February?

Ooh, didn’t notice that, I just used one of your earlier posts to reply to.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/04/2023 10:53:31
From: roughbarked
ID: 2019412
Subject: re: Chat February 2023

buffy said:


roughbarked said:

buffy said:

Hmm…the wind has dropped for a bit.

Surely it isn’t still blowing since February?

Ooh, didn’t notice that, I just used one of your earlier posts to reply to.

Seems like monkey skipper came in off a Feb. bookmark. Similar to when Bubblecar used December of saeveral years before.

Reply Quote