Date: 6/06/2023 02:01:47
ID: 2040280
Subject: boomerang trivia

It occurred to me that every boomerang I’ve seen (mostly tourist souvenirs) are way too light to act as a serious weapon of war or even for killing big game.

Looking it up on the web:

A maximum time of flight boomerang weighs about 25 grams.

A sport boomerang weighs less than 100 grams.

A native aboriginal boomerang for hunting or war weighs up to 1000 grams. That is a lot heavier.

I’ve never heard of a person being killed by a boomerang, but I have heard of a boomerang being used as a weapon against white police indoors, in a jailbreak incident.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/06/2023 02:20:32
ID: 2040282
Subject: re: boomerang trivia

Throwing sticks were used by many early hunting cultures, including ancient Egyptians.

The Hopi of America used sticks very similar to the Australian kylie or hunting boomerang, as seen in this snap of a Hopi with a hare killed by “rabbit stick”.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/06/2023 04:46:05
ID: 2040283

Bubblecar said:

Throwing sticks were used by many early hunting cultures, including ancient Egyptians.

The Hopi of America used sticks very similar to the Australian kylie or hunting boomerang, as seen in this snap of a Hopi with a hare killed by “rabbit stick”.

He was definitely using a throwing stick 40,000 years ago. Can tell by his footwear.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/06/2023 04:58:29
ID: 2040285

roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

He was definitely using a throwing stick 40,000 years ago. Can tell by his footwear.

Not sure what your point is here.

The Hopi people, like the indigenous Australians, were one of the few peoples still using such primitive tools in an age when they could be photographed doing so.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/06/2023 05:10:13
ID: 2040288

Bubblecar said:

roughbarked said:

Bubblecar said:

Not sure what your point is here.

The Hopi people, like the indigenous Australians, were one of the few peoples still using such primitive tools in an age when they could be photographed doing so.

Sensauma isn’t real good there. Is it mate.

Besides, they may be old but the Hopi are not as old a culture as the first nations people of Australia.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/06/2023 13:04:34
ID: 2040383

A police baton weight is about 30 grams, which is intended to be always non-lethal.

I have heard a slightly amusing incident involving the use of a boomerang. An aborigine had crossed an un-swimmable river to escape his pursuer. The pursuer knocked him down with a well thrown boomerang from across the river. He survived.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/06/2023 13:37:56
ID: 2040396

mollwollfumble said:

A police baton weight is about 30 grams, which is intended to be always non-lethal.

I have heard a slightly amusing incident involving the use of a boomerang. An aborigine had crossed an un-swimmable river to escape his pursuer. The pursuer knocked him down with a well thrown boomerang from across the river. He survived.

I can assure you that when I worked in the NSW Police Department batons were much heavier than that. My guess is around 400 grams.

I have two traditional hunting boomerangs mad in central Australia around 1962. They weigh 378 and 277 grams.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/06/2023 11:52:45
ID: 2040747

Would a steel boomerang like the one used in Max Max 2 work

Reply Quote

Date: 7/06/2023 12:14:27
ID: 2040760

Cymek said:

Would a steel boomerang like the one used in Mad Max 2 work

I don’t remember the boomerang but if it were the same aerodynamically as conventional ones it should work.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/06/2023 12:15:56
ID: 2040762

Tamb said:

Cymek said:

I don’t remember the boomerang but if it were the same aerodynamically as conventional ones it should work.

The kid had it threw it and one of the bad guys tried to catch it and it cut off the tips of many of his fingers

Reply Quote

Date: 7/06/2023 12:20:42
ID: 2040765

Cymek said:

Tamb said:

Cymek said:

The kid had it threw it and one of the bad guys tried to catch it and it cut off the tips of many of his fingers

The correct way to catch a boomerang is with a clapping motion, one hand either side.
I was taught how to throw & catch one at Tjapukai Aboriginal Park in Cairns.

Reply Quote