Date: 27/03/2024 14:16:28
ID: 2139429
Subject: Baltimore Bridge

Instead of using the meme thread…

Maybe someone wants to transfer the comments to this one.

As I posted earlier, I heard this mentioned on NPR this morning.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/baltimore-francis-scott-key-bridge-collapse-history/60307223

“After the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Maryland discussed installing pier guards but decided against it because it was too expensive.

“I think they would have been effective in all this. They would have reduced the impact, or at least prevented the ship impacting directly the piers because the way it went, it looked almost effortlessly the same. The vessel hit the pier and it just went and there was no hesitation. The bridge couldn’t handle it at all. So, I think the fenders, the bumpers would help,” said Abieyuwa Aghayere, a civil engineering professor at Drexel University.”

Reply Quote

Date: 27/03/2024 14:21:17
ID: 2139430
Subject: re: Baltimore Bridge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Scott_Key_Bridge_collapse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Dali

https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/1bo6e86/container_ship_loses_power_multiple_times_before/

https://www.facebook.com/BMoreUnique410/videos/759776602790664

Reply Quote

Date: 27/03/2024 14:36:49
ID: 2139439

kii said:

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/baltimore-francis-scott-key-bridge-collapse-history/60307223

“After the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Maryland discussed installing pier guards but decided against it because it was too expensive.

“I think they would have been effective in all this. They would have reduced the impact, or at least prevented the ship impacting directly the piers because the way it went, it looked almost effortlessly the same. The vessel hit the pier and it just went and there was no hesitation. The bridge couldn’t handle it at all. So, I think the fenders, the bumpers would help,” said Abieyuwa Aghayere, a civil engineering professor at Drexel University.”

Now we’ll be able to learn how expensive it is to not have the pier guards.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/03/2024 14:37:56
ID: 2139441

kii said:

this has long been the case:
it would have been pennies on the dollar
to prevent such an event then the same party that
voted it down whines about the catastrophe once it occurs
Sadly the same thing will happen with the coming climate catastrophe

so it goes

Reply Quote

Date: 27/03/2024 14:41:24
ID: 2139445

SCIENCE said:

captain_spalding said:

kii said:

Now we’ll be able to learn how expensive it is to not have the pier guards.

Try these cute balloon floaties that offer a bit of reactive armour style protection as well.

Reply Quote

Date: 27/03/2024 15:03:03
ID: 2139459

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwgOHpZlxvc

Link

0:28 / 7:31

NTSB B-Roll – Aerial Imagery of Francis Scott Key Bridge and Cargo Ship Dali

Reply Quote

Date: 27/03/2024 20:54:05
ID: 2139569

The Dali should have had a tugboat with it, when it experienced powerloss the tugboat could have saved it and the bridge.

But instead a container ship fully loaded with power loss, steering loss and out of control, bumped into a pylon.

Maybe more engineering checks?

The Pylons need extra protection for sure.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 12:48:11
ID: 2139764

Did the Dali blow its horn?

Do ships have collision horns?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 12:54:39
ID: 2139765

Tau.Neutrino said:

I doubt that the bridge would have been able to get out of the way in time.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 13:06:25
ID: 2139767

Tau.Neutrino said:

They have sound-making devices (loud horns. And i mean LOUD) for a variety of sound signals.

There’s no specific signal for ‘collision’, but an approved distress signal, meant to get attention, is a continuous sounding of a horn, bell, or gong.

If it looks likely that your vessel is going to collide with something, then that would qualify as ‘distress’, and you could use that signal.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 13:11:27
ID: 2139769

captain_spalding said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

They have sound-making devices (loud horns. And i mean LOUD) for a variety of sound signals.

There’s no specific signal for ‘collision’, but an approved distress signal, meant to get attention, is a continuous sounding of a horn, bell, or gong.

If it looks likely that your vessel is going to collide with something, then that would qualify as ‘distress’, and you could use that signal.

There was a power failure. Maybe the horn was disabled.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 13:14:13
ID: 2139773

Tamb said:

captain_spalding said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

There was a power failure. Maybe the horn was disabled.

Yeah, quite possibly. Adding another facet to the ship’s crew’s feelings of helplessness.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 13:28:01
ID: 2139778

captain_spalding said:

Yeah, quite possibly. Adding another facet to the ship’s crew’s feelings of helplessness.

If sound signals were not an option, they could have used a rocket parachute flare or a hand flare showing a red light, which might have at least got the attention of some people on the bridge, and given them some chance to react.

Either such things were not to hand, or there was insufficient time/presence of mind to use them.

There’s several flag signals that might have been employed there, but it was probably too dark to see them, and the chance of there being anyone on the bridge who’d recognise them would be exceedingly small, anyway.

At they might have tried using a hand-held loud hailer to yell at the people on the bridge, if they had one on hand.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 13:36:40
ID: 2139780

captain_spalding said:

captain_spalding said:

If sound signals were not an option, they could have used a rocket parachute flare or a hand flare showing a red light, which might have at least got the attention of some people on the bridge, and given them some chance to react.

Either such things were not to hand, or there was insufficient time/presence of mind to use them.

There’s several flag signals that might have been employed there, but it was probably too dark to see them, and the chance of there being anyone on the bridge who’d recognise them would be exceedingly small, anyway.

At they might have tried using a hand-held loud hailer to yell at the people on the bridge, if they had one on hand.

The last report I saw said the road was closed to traffic because the ship informed the bridge people that they were out of control. Has that changed?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 13:38:16
ID: 2139781

the captain did the right thing by notifying the bridge authorities of the impending Collison. the bridge was closed. only the maintenance crew remained. if they weren’t in radio contact then nobody was going to drive onto the bridge to warn them.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 13:38:48
ID: 2139783

The Rev Dodgson said:

captain_spalding said:

captain_spalding said:

The last report I saw said the road was closed to traffic because the ship informed the bridge people that they were out of control. Has that changed?

No.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 13:40:51
ID: 2139785

ChrispenEvan said:

The Rev Dodgson said:
captain_spalding said:

No.
They were able to stop traffic driving onto the bridge, but didn’t have enough time to evacuate road workers on foot.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 14:04:36
ID: 2139797

OCDC said:

ChrispenEvan said:
The Rev Dodgson said:
No.
They were able to stop traffic driving onto the bridge, but didn’t have enough time to evacuate road workers on foot.

I haven’t been aware of what communications were made from the ship.

I was really only listing means, other than sound signals, by which the ship’s ‘distress’ situation might have been communicated to the surrounding area. Good to know that they found some way to give whatever warning they could.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 14:08:08
ID: 2139798

It fell down.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 14:15:12
ID: 2139800

captain_spalding said:

OCDC said:

ChrispenEvan said:
No.

I was really only listing means, other than sound signals, by which the ship’s ‘distress’ situation might have been communicated to the surrounding area. Good to know that they found some way to give whatever warning they could.

Need a morse code flare for: have lost control about to crash.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 14:29:06
ID: 2139802

Woodie said:

It fell down.
takes notes

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 14:40:53
ID: 2139807

roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

OCDC said:

There’s a number of signals which might be used, which can be made a variety of means. Signal flags (using the International Code flags) is one way, but also by semaphore, flashing light, or wireless telegraphy (Morse code key).

If you have a means of conveying them, probably by ‘Morse code’, then there’s:

NC – I am in distress and require immediate assistance

DV 1 – I am adrift.

F – I am disabled; communicate with me

CB 5 – I require immediate assistance; I am drifting.

CB 2 – I require immediate assistance; I have damaged steering gear

RN – My engines are out of action.

D – Keep clear of me; I am manoeuvering with difficulty.

There’s no signal specifically for ‘shit, i think there’s going to be a collision!’. There’s a whole range of signals that deal with ‘collision’, but they all have to do with what the situation is after a collision has occurred.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 14:47:15
ID: 2139810

captain_spalding said:

roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

There’s a number of signals which might be used, which can be made a variety of means. Signal flags (using the International Code flags) is one way, but also by semaphore, flashing light, or wireless telegraphy (Morse code key).

DV 1 – I am adrift.

There’s no signal specifically for ‘shit, i think there’s going to be a collision!’. There’s a whole range of signals that deal with ‘collision’, but they all have to do with what the situation is after a collision has occurred.

I can see a couple there that could have been used.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 14:49:32
ID: 2139812

roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

roughbarked said:

DV 1 – I am adrift.

They might also have a telephone and ring someone up.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 14:53:02
ID: 2139814

PermeateFree said:

roughbarked said:
captain_spalding said:

DV 1 – I am adrift.

I had a similar thought. Presumably there was at least one working mobile phone on board.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 14:53:14
ID: 2139815

PermeateFree said:

roughbarked said:

captain_spalding said:

DV 1 – I am adrift.

Optus might be down.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 14:53:57
ID: 2139816

Peak Warming Man said:

PermeateFree said:

roughbarked said:

Optus might be down.

That’d be their luck.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 14:54:47
ID: 2139819

OCDC said:

PermeateFree said:
roughbarked said:
I had a similar thought. Presumably there was at least one working mobile phone on board.

who were they going to ring?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 14:56:09
ID: 2139822

ChrispenEvan said:

OCDC said:

PermeateFree said:

Doesn’t downtown Baltimore have some Ghostbusters™ to call?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 14:57:03
ID: 2139824

OCDC said:

PermeateFree said:
roughbarked said:

Yes, they used it to call police and get traffic stopped.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 14:58:20
ID: 2139829

Michael V said:

OCDC said:

PermeateFree said:

Nods.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 14:59:49
ID: 2139833

Michael V said:

OCDC said:

PermeateFree said:

exactly, they DID call someone and told them shit was going down, and they probably saved many lives by doing so.. in a situation that is unusual, and out of their control, on water that is flowing, in a vessel they have little control over (not even enough time to drop anchor) I think they did remarkably well under the circumstances.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 15:01:14
ID: 2139834

Arts said:

Michael V said:

OCDC said:

exactly, they DID call someone and told them shit was going down, and they probably saved many lives by doing so.. in a situation that is unusual, and out of their control, on water that is flowing, in a vessel they have little control over (not even enough time to drop anchor) I think they did remarkably well under the circumstances.

Yes.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 15:01:31
ID: 2139835

ChrispenEvan said:

OCDC said:

PermeateFree said:

More like that’s so 2000s, in this 2020s age everyone would be filming and not calling help.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 15:01:51
ID: 2139836

Arts said:

Michael V said:

OCDC said:

They did manage to get an anchor out.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 15:02:10
ID: 2139838

ChrispenEvan said:

OCDC said:
PermeateFree said:
911. Get someone to stop traffic onto the bridge. Maybe polis could do such a thing.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 15:03:48
ID: 2139841

Peak Warming Man said:

Arts said:

Michael V said:

oh true? an article I read this morning said they didn’t have enough time…

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 15:04:53
ID: 2139843

SCIENCE said:

ChrispenEvan said:

OCDC said:

More like that’s so 2000s, in this 2020s age everyone would be filming and not calling help.

I’d be straight on to it, telling the forum there’s a big boat about to hit the bridge.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 15:06:50
ID: 2139846

Arts said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Arts said:

oh true? an article I read this morning said they didn’t have enough time…

Heard it on the wireless.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 15:11:44
ID: 2139853

Arts said:

Michael V said:

OCDC said:

I understand they did weigh anchor, but 110,000 tons going at 8 knots really, really wants to keep going.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 15:18:03
ID: 2139859

Bridges can be protected from ship collisions – an expert on structures in disasters explains how
https://theconversation.com/bridges-can-be-protected-from-ship-collisions-an-expert-on-structures-in-disasters-explains-how-226781

A list of major US bridge collapses caused by ships and barges
https://apnews.com/article/bridge-collapses-barges-list-1f2d6261d523ddc625aaaf3b32c626bc

Category:Bridge disasters caused by collision
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Bridge_disasters_caused_by_collision

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 15:20:17
ID: 2139864

Maybe a signal for collision is needed with a backup power supply for the horn?

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 15:21:16
ID: 2139867

Michael V said:

Arts said:

Michael V said:

I understand they did weigh anchor, but 110,000 tons going at 8 knots really, really wants to keep going.

so PWM wasn’t just being ‘difficult’

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 15:22:15
ID: 2139868

Tau.Neutrino said:

And flares as Captain Spalding pointed out.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 15:24:04
ID: 2139873

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Piers and wharfs get hit a lot as well.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 15:24:37
ID: 2139874

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Imagine if they replaced fossil fuelling with lithium batter or small modular nuclears, wouldn’t knock down any bridges when you had a surprise outage, you’d just have fireworks¡

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 15:28:51
ID: 2139879

Arts said:

Michael V said:

Arts said:

so PWM wasn’t just being ‘difficult’

LOL

No, I don’t believe so.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 16:37:34
ID: 2139905

Justin

In short: Investigators have found the pilot of the cargo ship that crashed into a Baltimore bridge had radioed for tugboat help minutes earlier, citing new data from the recovered voyage recorder.
They also said the Key Bridge built in the 1970s was more vulnerable to total collapse because it lacked structural engineering redundancies that are common to newer spans.
What’s next? The investigation could take up to two years, with a preliminary report to be completed next month.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 17:44:49
ID: 2139941

OCDC said:

Justin

In short: Investigators have found the pilot of the cargo ship that crashed into a Baltimore bridge had radioed for tugboat help minutes earlier, citing new data from the recovered voyage recorder.
They also said the Key Bridge built in the 1970s was more vulnerable to total collapse because it lacked structural engineering redundancies that are common to newer spans.
What’s next? The investigation could take up to two years, with a preliminary report to be completed next month.

Prelim report will probably take the long route around to say, as Woodie put it so succinctly earlier, ‘it fell down’.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 17:54:55
ID: 2139962

captain_spalding said:

OCDC said:

Justin

Prelim report will probably take the long route around to say, as Woodie put it so succinctly earlier, ‘it fell down’.

I could say a goon show line but I won’t.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 17:57:01
ID: 2139967

Tau.Neutrino said:

captain_spalding said:

OCDC said:

Justin

I could say a goon show line but I won’t.

Little Jim!

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 21:41:40
ID: 2140053

You could fit small sensors to each pylon looking for approaching collision objects, when one is found, collision sirens go off, to get off the bridge.

Building robust bridge segments giving a chance for vehicles to get to the next segment safely.

Reply Quote

Date: 28/03/2024 21:51:05
ID: 2140055

Tau.Neutrino said:

You could fit small sensors to each pylon looking for approaching collision objects, when one is found, collision sirens go off, to get off the bridge.

Building robust bridge segments giving a chance for vehicles to get to the next segment safely.

Correction
Building robust bridge segments giving a chance for vehicles on the next segment to continue safely.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 00:59:45
ID: 2140109

You could have underwater sensors further up and down the river arranged like an under water airport landing strip, like a channel, any deviation of large ships sets off alarms.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 01:02:03
ID: 2140110

Tau.Neutrino said:

You could have underwater sensors further up and down the river arranged like an under water airport landing strip, like a channel, any deviation of large ships sets off alarms.

Or a grid.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 01:12:30
ID: 2140112

Or large underwater concrete shapes fitted with lots of wheels embedded in the sides of the channel that guide drifting ships.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 01:34:05
ID: 2140113

Or tractor beams when they become available in the future.

Or a line of underwater powerful magnets 🧲 that can guide million tonne ships.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 01:36:13
ID: 2140114

Tau.Neutrino said:

Or tractor beams when they become available in the future.

Or a line of underwater powerful magnets 🧲 that can guide million tonne ships.

With a inverted v shape at each end.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 01:39:36
ID: 2140115

I imagine there would be many other ways to guide big ships under bridges safely.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 13:56:54
ID: 2140251

Tau.Neutrino said:

In this case it would have been one long blast followed by two short blasts; this indicates the ship is ‘restricted in ability to manoeuvre’ or ‘not under command’ (no ability to steer).

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 14:01:22
ID: 2140253

Obviousman said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

In this case it would have been one long blast followed by two short blasts; this indicates the ship is ‘restricted in ability to manoeuvre’ or ‘not under command’ (no ability to steer).

What good would it do? It’s not like the bridge can move out of the way.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 14:15:10
ID: 2140259

party_pants said:

Obviousman said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

It’s a standard procedure. Certain action happen, specific procedures have to be followed.
A lot of those procedures have been learnt at the cost of blood.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 14:20:39
ID: 2140262

Spiny Norman said:

party_pants said:

Obviousman said:

It’s a standard procedure. Certain action happen, specific procedures have to be followed.
A lot of those procedures have been learnt at the cost of blood.

TV this morning was saying the ship lost power due to faulty fuel.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 14:21:55
ID: 2140264

Obviousman said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

You are correct. For some reason, i had completely forgotten Rule 35, although the substance (if not the numbers) Rules 34, 36, and 37 came to mind with out too much trouble. I thought there ought to be a NUC signal, but couldn’t remember what it was, if there was one.

The grey cells are not what they once were.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 14:30:07
ID: 2140267

So, how are they going to remove the bridge and ship and re-open the harbour to normal traffic?

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 14:39:24
ID: 2140270

party_pants said:

So, how are they going to remove the bridge and ship and re-open the harbour to normal traffic?

Well, AFAIK, the ship is still afloat, so they cut the bridge wreckage away from the ship, and it can be towed away.

As for the rest of the bridge wreckage, most likely salvage crews will cut it up into chunks which can be removed by floating cranes. The Yanks has some really big floating cranes.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 14:40:32
ID: 2140271

captain_spalding said:

party_pants said:

Well, AFAIK, the ship is still afloat, so they cut the bridge wreckage away from the ship, and it can be towed away.

As for the rest of the bridge wreckage, most likely salvage crews will cut it up into chunks which can be removed by floating cranes. The Yanks has some really big floating cranes.

After that, I guess it is time to start work on a new tunnel.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 14:46:27
ID: 2140273

party_pants said:

captain_spalding said:

party_pants said:

That or build a new bridge with proper protection to the piers.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 14:47:33
ID: 2140275

The Rev Dodgson said:

party_pants said:

captain_spalding said:

That or build a new bridge with proper protection to the piers.

Yeah, I guess that would be the more sensible option.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 14:52:28
ID: 2140277

captain_spalding said:

party_pants said:

I agree that this is the most likely scenario.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 14:53:28
ID: 2140279

party_pants said:

captain_spalding said:

party_pants said:

Do they have any tunnels nearby?

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 14:56:46
ID: 2140280

Michael V said:

party_pants said:

captain_spalding said:

Dunno, I have never been to Baltimore.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 15:02:50
ID: 2140284

Michael V said:

party_pants said:

captain_spalding said:

Are you thinking of moving one to the harbour?

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 15:05:36
ID: 2140286

party_pants said:

Michael V said:

party_pants said:

I’ve checked. Baltimore has two harbour tunnels, but neither is a dug tunnel. They are made from submerged tubes. It may indicate that the rock there is not right for a bored tunnel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Harbor_Tunnel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_McHenry_Tunnel

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 15:08:05
ID: 2140288

party_pants said:

cut it up and load it onto barges with floating cranes.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 15:10:05
ID: 2140291

Michael V said:

party_pants said:

Michael V said:

I’ve checked. Baltimore has two harbour tunnels, but neither is a dug tunnel. They are made from submerged tubes. It may indicate that the rock there is not right for a bored tunnel.

Like Rev said, I guess building a new bridge with all the necessary protections would be the sensible option.

I mean really, every bridge that crosses over a ship route to/from a major port should be built with the potential for ship collisions in mind.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 15:14:05
ID: 2140292

party_pants said:

Michael V said:

party_pants said:

Like Rev said, I guess building a new bridge with all the necessary protections would be the sensible option.

I mean really, every bridge that crosses over a ship route to/from a major port should be built with the potential for ship collisions in mind.

The Hobart bridge taught us that.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 15:16:34
ID: 2140293

party_pants said:

Well, you’d think that people would have learnt that by now.

But, even after the 1975 Tasman Bridge incident, the bridge apparently still cannot risk an impact from a vessel of any size, which is why the icebreaker Nuyina is not allowed to pass under the bridge to go to the refuelling facility in Hobart.

Having had the bridge knocked down by a ship once, you’d expect that it would be rebuilt with an enhanced capacity to resist such things, but, no, it seems that such measures would have been a bit too much bother, so Hobart still has a rather fragile bridge.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 15:19:42
ID: 2140296

Tamb said:

party_pants said:

Michael V said:

The Hobart bridge taught us that.

This is not the first it has happened. I recall watching a doco a while ago about another bridge/ship collision and collapse. Happened during bad weather with limited visibility.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 16:04:21
ID: 2140306

There has been an awful lot of bridge failures:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bridge_failures

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 16:18:49
ID: 2140309

Michael V said:

There has been an awful lot of bridge failures:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bridge_failures

Interesting list.

The main causes seem to be: collisions with trucks or ships passing underneath, train derailments, flooding, overloading, poor construction, and bad design.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 22:09:07
ID: 2140410

https://interestingengineering.com/culture/baltimore-bridge-struck-by-ships-twice

Link

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 22:28:43
ID: 2140416

ChrispenEvan said:

https://interestingengineering.com/culture/baltimore-bridge-struck-by-ships-twice

Link

People seem to want to overcomplicate this.

If a massive ship traveling at a few m/s hits a non-massive bridge pier with very limited ductility, the bridge pier will collapse, and the supported spans will come down with it. If the bridge deck is continuous, without any provisions to stop transmission of collapse mechanisms, then the adjacent spans will collapse, and so on.

The only mystery is why the risk of this happening was considered acceptable before the event, but not acceptable after the event, when the probability of the impact happening could have been (and presumably was) calculated before the event.

But unfortunately failure to give adequate consideration of low probability high consequence events continues in every field of human endeavour.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 22:32:01
ID: 2140417

The Rev Dodgson said:

ChrispenEvan said:

Link

If a massive ship traveling at a few m/s hits a non-massive bridge pier with very limited ductility, the bridge pier will collapse, and the supported spans will come down with it. If the bridge deck is continuous, without any provisions to stop transmission of collapse mechanisms, then the adjacent spans will collapse, and so on.

The only mystery is why the risk of this happening was considered acceptable before the event, but not acceptable after the event, when the probability of the impact happening could have been (and presumably was) calculated before the event.

But unfortunately failure to give adequate consideration of low probability high consequence events continues in every field of human endeavour.

not over complicating it. mentions it was hit before and nothing was done. even though ships had got larger.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 22:34:41
ID: 2140419

ChrispenEvan said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

ChrispenEvan said:

Link

not over complicating it. mentions it was hit before and nothing was done. even though ships had got larger.

I beg to differ.

It was written as though the collapse was some sort of mystery, needing the extraordinary insight of the author to explain.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 22:36:12
ID: 2140421

The Rev Dodgson said:

ChrispenEvan said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

I beg to differ.

It was written as though the collapse was some sort of mystery, needing the extraordinary insight of the author to explain.

do you not think that some readers might find the information useful?

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 22:45:00
ID: 2140424

This ship had the momentum of 30 max weight Boeing 737s travelling at cruising speed.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 22:46:54
ID: 2140426

dv said:

This ship had the momentum of 30 max weight Boeing 737s travelling at cruising speed.

how many african swallows though?

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 22:50:51
ID: 2140427

ChrispenEvan said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

ChrispenEvan said:

I beg to differ.

do you not think that some readers might find the information useful?

I found it annoying, so I’m probably not the best person to judge its usefulness.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 22:51:08
ID: 2140428

ChrispenEvan said:

dv said:

how many african swallows though?

What’s that in bananas?

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 23:16:38
ID: 2140431

The 5G page isn’t a conspiracy site.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 23:39:38
ID: 2140433

ChrispenEvan said:

I blame the Russians.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/03/2024 23:51:43
ID: 2140435

party_pants said:

ChrispenEvan said:

I blame the Russians.

They’ll just blame the Ukrainians.

Reply Quote

Date: 30/03/2024 00:07:24
ID: 2140438

Kingy said:

party_pants said:

ChrispenEvan said:

I blame the Russians.

They’ll just blame the Ukrainians.

I’ll pay that :)

Reply Quote

Date: 30/03/2024 00:16:25
ID: 2140441

ChrispenEvan said:

So, unless I’m mistaken, one bridge had a mulch fire near it, the other one was in India.

I’m not sure how far you can stretch a long bow, but I’m sure that it won’t stretch between continents.

Reply Quote

Date: 30/03/2024 00:18:27
ID: 2140443

Kingy said:

ChrispenEvan said:

So, unless I’m mistaken, one bridge had a mulch fire near it, the other one was in India.

I’m not sure how far you can stretch a long bow, but I’m sure that it won’t stretch between continents.

yeah, I looked at news for those two other bridges. long bow indeed.

Reply Quote

Date: 30/03/2024 07:29:37
ID: 2140464

ChrispenEvan said:

Kingy said:

ChrispenEvan said:

yeah, I looked at news for those two other bridges. long bow indeed.

If it was a conspiracy to attack multiple bridges in the US, then the conspirators ought to be having some serious words with their operatives regarding subtlety, methods and allocation of resources, and their ability to locate targets.

Reply Quote

Date: 30/03/2024 11:33:21
ID: 2140514

You could have a parallel set of lights on floating buoys like an airstrip. Running down the middle of the river, once hit they trigger sirens and flares.

Reply Quote

Date: 31/03/2024 02:25:58
ID: 2140711

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/30/1241836267/army-corps-continues-efforts-to-remove-wreckage-of-baltimores-key-bridge

Worth a listen if you can. No transcript yet.

Reply Quote

Date: 31/03/2024 14:54:12
ID: 2140806

kii said:

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/30/1241836267/army-corps-continues-efforts-to-remove-wreckage-of-baltimores-key-bridge

Worth a listen if you can. No transcript yet.

Thanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 31/03/2024 21:16:49
ID: 2140903

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=431219712902839

Link

Before you watch the video describe two ways for the ship to pass beneath the bridge. Be nice also not to give the answer for a while.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 05:05:48
ID: 2140942

Pete Buttigieg interview on Face the Nation.

Some interesting footage of the beams being cut and the situation on the ship’s deck.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 12:07:36
ID: 2140967

ChrispenEvan said:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=431219712902839

Link

Before you watch the video describe two ways for the ship to pass beneath the bridge. Be nice also not to give the answer for a while.

Well there you go, unexpected.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 16:53:42
ID: 2141095

You could have an underwater network of trigger lines both sides of the bridge allowing a clear channel for ships.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 16:57:11
ID: 2141099

A new bridge could cost a pretty penny if they are going to make it ram proof.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 16:59:18
ID: 2141100

Peak Warming Man said:

they will need a troll underneath…

wait that was goats

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 16:59:55
ID: 2141101

You could have a network of criss crossing infra red signals and lasers looking for ships that could trigger alarms on the bridge.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 17:02:29
ID: 2141103

Peak Warming Man said:

Sloped terrain both sides under the bridge, sloping away on a angle.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 17:06:38
ID: 2141104

we should just dig traffic tunnels under water and do away with bridges altogether

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 17:12:43
ID: 2141105

Arts said:

we should just dig traffic tunnels under water and do away with bridges altogether

No doubt they have looked at that or are looking.
However you don’t win prizes and accolades for aesthetically looking tunnels.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 17:13:20
ID: 2141106

Arts said:

or make ships from foam rubber.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 17:17:48
ID: 2141107

ChrispenEvan said:

Arts said:

or make ships from foam rubber.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 17:18:15
ID: 2141108

Arts said:

It seem that the geology is unsuitable. There are two tunnels crossing the river in Baltimore, but they are made of pre-formed steel tube and just rest on the floor of the river.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 17:45:39
ID: 2141111

Arts said:

Peak Warming Man said:

wait that was goats

Or worse

(ref Birmingham Piss Troll)

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 17:53:47
ID: 2141115

Tau.Neutrino said:

Peak Warming Man said:

2 Drag anchors at the back of the ship.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 17:56:15
ID: 2141116

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Rubber Ducks, what about rubber ducks?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 17:56:17
ID: 2141117

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Or more… 4 maybe?

Dunno.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 18:00:34
ID: 2141119

PermeateFree said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

One could put rubber around the pylons and on the bow of the ship.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 18:01:31
ID: 2141120

Tau.Neutrino said:

PermeateFree said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

But would that give the warning quack?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 18:04:38
ID: 2141121

PermeateFree said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

PermeateFree said:

Floating Surface sensors

But located back far enough back so workers can jet pack off the bridge.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 18:07:47
ID: 2141122

Tau.Neutrino said:

PermeateFree said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Floating Surface sensors

Nah! I prefer a quacking rubber duck.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 18:09:48
ID: 2141123

Tau.Neutrino said:

PermeateFree said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Floating Surface sensors

Onya Gyro Gearloose.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 18:10:10
ID: 2141124

PermeateFree said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

PermeateFree said:

Floating Surface sensors

Good idea workers can grab and duck and jump off the bridge. Duck inflates on the way down.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 18:11:50
ID: 2141125

Tau.Neutrino said:

PermeateFree said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Floating Surface sensors

Good idea workers can grab and duck and jump off the bridge. Duck inflates on the way down.

So many great ideas.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 18:12:32
ID: 2141126

Correction

Good idea workers can grab a duck and jump off the bridge. Duck inflates on the way down.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 18:15:02
ID: 2141127

PermeateFree said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

PermeateFree said:

So many great ideas.

The ship could have made duck noises but nothing was heard.

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 18:16:43
ID: 2141129

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 18:19:17
ID: 2141131

Kingy said:

I think they mean Five Dollars.

Wholesale.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 18:20:57
ID: 2141133

Tau.Neutrino said:

Kingy said:

I think they mean Five Dollars.

Wholesale.

They then bump it up to $37 retail.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 18:28:54
ID: 2141134

I don’t think it matters how loud the duck ship will quack, the bridge is not getting out of the way – they are stubborn like that.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 18:38:50
ID: 2141137

A fast response tugboat might have done it.

Fast like a speed boat, then switches to normal torque

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 19:37:43
ID: 2141160

Arts said:

Peak Warming Man said:

wait that was goats

Rams … goats … ISWYDT

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 19:39:57
ID: 2141162

dv said:

Arts said:

Peak Warming Man said:

wait that was goats

Rams … goats … ISWYDT

Straight through to the keeper.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 19:50:30
ID: 2141167

Y’all are talking about what needs to be done for the bridges but the bridge was entirely suitable for purpose.

What went wrong was a very rare power failure in a hundred million dollar cargo ship. Maritime collisions that destroy bridges are rare and the cost to upgrade every bridge in the world that is near Port facilities so that they could withstand such a collision would have to run into trillions of dollars. Two more reasonable courses of action would be

a) do nothing. Accept that something like this will happen every decade or so. Maersk will be footing the bill to replace the bridge, I should think, and in honesty the cost will be chump change for them.

b) shipping operators can spend a bit of money improving the reliability of their propulsion.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 19:55:19
ID: 2141170

Tau.Neutrino said:

Just a reminder … this ship weighed something like 100000 tonnes. Give me the specs for a tugboat that is going to bring such a beast from 10 knots to stationary in time to avoid this collision.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 20:03:43
ID: 2141172

dv said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Just a reminder … this ship weighed something like 100000 tonnes. Give me the specs for a tugboat that is going to bring such a beast from 10 knots to stationary in time to avoid this collision.

we passed logic about 100 posts back

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 20:06:29
ID: 2141173

dv said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Its deadweight tonnage is 116,000 tonnes. If it was moving at 5 knots (just under 10 kmh), it would have had a momentum of about322222248 kg·m/s.

It’s going to be one beefy tug that can whiz up alongside, get in to position to push, and negate that momentum in a very short period of time. And forget about ‘towing’ it from astern – there’s no rope made (or even conceivable) that’s going to stand that strain.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 20:15:11
ID: 2141174

The tug is mainly used for steering when underway.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 20:17:15
ID: 2141175

Arts said:

dv said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

But he’s so enthusiastic!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 20:17:41
ID: 2141176

Peak Warming Man said:

The big ship has a bow thruster for that.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 20:26:06
ID: 2141178

The bridge itself could have an AI camera system looking for threats, if a threat is found it closes the bridge, alerts port authorities, and sounds a siren to any bridge workers.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 20:27:02
ID: 2141179

Peak Warming Man said:

Yes, especially in hazardous and/or very confined waters. As i mentioned some days ago, a lot of merchant ships coming off the slipways these days are vastly more manoeuvrable than those of decades past.

With bow- and stern-thruster propellors, and propulsion units that can rotate 360 deg like this one:

and variable-pitch and contra-rotating propellors, the services of tugs can often be dispensed with entirely, which is good news for shipping lines, as the services of tugs are not cheap, nor are they readily available in some ports.

Ship-handling that would have been impossible for even the most skilled merchant ship captain only a few years back is now a matter of routine.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 20:27:42
ID: 2141180

Tau.Neutrino said:

The bridge itself could have an AI camera system looking for threats, if a threat is found it closes the bridge, alerts port authorities, and sounds a siren to any bridge workers.

At least the siren would give the bridge workers a chance to say their prayers.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 20:31:18
ID: 2141181

captain_spalding said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Well they could grab a jet pack from their vehicle or a inflatable duck.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 20:33:28
ID: 2141182

Tau.Neutrino said:

captain_spalding said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Ooh, ooh, how about this…ejection seats. Installed at multiple locations along the bridge and its supporting structure.

Siren sounds, run to the nearest seat, strap yourself in, pull the handle, and ride the rocket out of there.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 20:37:33
ID: 2141183

Tau.Neutrino said:

captain_spalding said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

I think it’s silly having large segments on bridges.

Makes SPLASHING Noise.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 20:38:52
ID: 2141184

captain_spalding said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

captain_spalding said:

Ooh, ooh, how about this…ejection seats. Installed at multiple locations along the bridge and its supporting structure.

Siren sounds, run to the nearest seat, strap yourself in, pull the handle, and ride the rocket out of there.

Or bridge workers already have their jet packs on.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 20:40:49
ID: 2141185

Tau.Neutrino said:

captain_spalding said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

They could have nuked the Dali from space if they were fast enough.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 20:46:19
ID: 2141186

Baltimore needs to think fast.

Fast response times.

Fast is good.

Faster is better

Fastest is what’s needed.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 20:50:42
ID: 2141187

Tau.Neutrino said:

Fast response times.

Fast is good.

Faster is better

And with long bridges have multiple closing booms with U turns.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 21:00:45
ID: 2141188

Oh dear…

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 21:03:52
ID: 2141189

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

captain_spalding said:

They could have nuked the Dali from space if they were fast enough.

Steady lad, steady.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 21:16:02
ID: 2141193

Arts said:

dv said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

This is all a crock and yous know it, yous lot talking about rocket parachutes and rocket ejection but obviously the correct solution is to pack a stack of SHLLV engines on board to fire in any emergency, that’ll do it, you’re not fighting gravity you’re just pushing the speed up or down by a few m/s it’s no big deal a handful of NK-15 should be plenty.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 21:24:39
ID: 2141198

dolphins

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 21:45:30
ID: 2141205

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Fast response times.

Fast is good.

Faster is better

And with long bridges have multiple closing booms with U turns.

Or if it’s double lane both ways close one lane each side and allow the other lane to go back.

3 point turns for everyone

Hmm

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 21:49:25
ID: 2141206

Bridge workers could have rescue drones in their vehicles.

Drones the size of a bucket but able to get someone down safely

They come to the worker when signalled ftom a radio.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 21:57:23
ID: 2141209

AntiMaterielLASERs

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 21:58:36
ID: 2141210

Tau.Neutrino said:

Bridge workers could have rescue drones in their vehicles.

Drones the size of a bucket but able to get someone down safely

They come to the worker when signalled ftom a radio.

The bridge AI System would start up the drones and send them to the workers.

Fixed.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 22:02:48
ID: 2141211

Tau N, I love you man but not everything has, or needs, a solution.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 22:03:14
ID: 2141212

No seriously, dolphins (structure).

Massive fuck-off big lumps/piles of concrete to deflect any ship collision away from the piers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin_(structure)
blah

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 22:06:44
ID: 2141213

dv said:

I think their stream of consciousness is interesting, and sometimes weird, but so are the dreamers of the dreams

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 22:10:05
ID: 2141214

dv said:

The people falling into the water.

They might need a solution.

Number X asteroid might hit us…

Bigger than a ship.

Just saying..

I HAVE A FEAR OF BRIDGE COLLAPSES.

Runs away…

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 22:12:11
ID: 2141215

I HAVE A FEAR OF ASTEROIDS HITTING US…

RUNS AWAY

FAR AWAY.. .

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 22:13:27
ID: 2141216

I have a fear of black holes larger than galaxies…

Runs away really fast…

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 22:24:43
ID: 2141219

Tau.Neutrino said:

dv said:

The people falling into the water.

They might need a solution.

Number X asteroid might hit us…

Bigger than a ship.

Just saying..

I HAVE A FEAR OF BRIDGE COLLAPSES.

Runs away…

The chances of you dying in a bridge collision are about 1 in 20 million.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 22:27:26
ID: 2141221

party_pants said:

Massive fuck-off big lumps/piles of concrete to deflect any ship collision away from the piers.

blah

or:

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 22:28:54
ID: 2141222

Tau.Neutrino said:

I have a fear of black holes larger than galaxies…

Runs away really fast…

I have a fear of the universe

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 22:31:03
ID: 2141223

The Rev Dodgson said:

party_pants said:

blah

or:

Take that Dali.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 22:37:55
ID: 2141224

Tau.Neutrino said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

party_pants said:

blah

or:

Take that Dali.

Quite.

It seems to be a standard design feature in more modern bridges. Just rebuild the bridge with something like this.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 22:40:15
ID: 2141225

Only a few months ago…

In short: Computer-based simulations show Australia’s Antarctic icebreaker “hit” Hobart’s Tasman Bridge four times, and would have done so a further 10 times if the virtual trial wasn’t aborted.

The details have been revealed after the ABC obtained a report outlining why the harbour master refused to allow the $528 million vessel to travel under the critical piece of infrastructure.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-03/icebreaker-nuyina-hit-hobart-tasman-bridge-in-modelling/103158228

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 22:42:37
ID: 2141226

The Rev Dodgson said:

party_pants said:

blah

or:

More bridges should be like that.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 22:44:01
ID: 2141228

party_pants said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

or:

Take that Dali.

Quite.

It seems to be a standard design feature in more modern bridges. Just rebuild the bridge with something like this.

Ironically they look like ships.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 22:47:12
ID: 2141229

Kingy said:

Only a few months ago…

In short: Computer-based simulations show Australia’s Antarctic icebreaker “hit” Hobart’s Tasman Bridge four times, and would have done so a further 10 times if the virtual trial wasn’t aborted.

The details have been revealed after the ABC obtained a report outlining why the harbour master refused to allow the $528 million vessel to travel under the critical piece of infrastructure.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-03/icebreaker-nuyina-hit-hobart-tasman-bridge-in-modelling/103158228

While I must admit I am enjoying the current weather, I think we need winter to come along early this year.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 22:50:08
ID: 2141230

party_pants said:

Kingy said:

Only a few months ago…

While I must admit I am enjoying the current weather, I think we need winter to come along early this year.

Oops wrong quote. That was supposed to be in response the the dams question in chat

Reply Quote

Date: 2/04/2024 13:45:47
ID: 2141342

The Rev Dodgson said:

party_pants said:

blah

or:

Useless, look at all the solid land protecting this bridge

and it still couldn’t stop

this from happening.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 02:53:15
ID: 2141480

Do they have black boxes for cargo ships?

Black boxes seem to be needed to take note of cargo ships problems just like airplanes.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 02:56:17
ID: 2141481

A last resort backup power system that has enough power to bring the ship to a stop.

Complete with drag anchors at the back of the ship.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 03:06:15
ID: 2141483

Tau.Neutrino said:

A last resort backup power system that has enough power to bring the ship to a stop.

With those drag anchors could be a spring system built into the structure of the ship that allows the ship to gradually come to a stop. This would help to keep containers on the ships deck from falling off.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 03:09:39
ID: 2141487

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

With those drag anchors could be a spring system built into the structure of the ship that allows the ship to gradually come to a stop. This would help to keep containers on the ships deck from falling off.

Big ships need an upgraded maintenance system that port authorities can check over WiFi to see the overall engineering system of the ship.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 03:24:41
ID: 2141494

I think the shipping industry is found wanting, those that do nothing should be smitted.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 04:03:54
ID: 2141496

Tau.Neutrino said:

I think the shipping industry is found wanting, those that do nothing should be smitted.

Another area of improvement could be in designing engines and other systems to be more generic, relying on other tested systems that work, this way could be expanded to cover everything from wiring to hull design.

The environment suffers from poor ship design and poor maintenance, how many ships lie at the bottom of the sea because of poor maintenance.

A much more upgraded system is needed to keep shipping above water and not underneath it.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 04:25:23
ID: 2141498

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Another area of improvement could be in designing engines and other systems to be more generic, relying on other tested systems that work, this way could be expanded to cover everything from wiring to hull design.

The environment suffers from poor ship design and poor maintenance, how many ships lie at the bottom of the sea because of poor maintenance.

A much more upgraded system is needed to keep shipping above water and not underneath it.

Bridges could have tie points along the river banks located each side of the bridge.

A computer controlled tie line is fired at the tie point.

Strong enough to stop the ship.

A spring system could be used to avoid a sudden stop.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 04:34:06
ID: 2141499

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Bridges could have tie points along the river banks located each side of the bridge.

Fit all older ships with jet powered brakes at the front of the ship.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 05:19:22
ID: 2141500

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Gps location and ship condition radio signalling could have alerted port authorities using a
Front line early warning system. It would have sent power going off and on and the ship drifting off its course.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 05:24:10
ID: 2141501

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Gps location and ship condition radio signalling could have alerted port authorities using a
Front line early warning system. It would have sent power going off and on and the ship drifting off its course.

Port authorities should be able to have limited access to ships systems while in the river or harbour areas, then the port logs out once the ship is out of harbour.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 05:35:36
ID: 2141502

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Port authorities should be able to have limited access to ships systems while in the river or harbour areas, then the port logs out once the ship is out of harbour.

I wonder if there was enough time for a fast response tugboat to get to the ship.

This would be a dual engine tugboat with a fast engine to get there and then switch over to the tug engine or a new design that does both.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 05:46:30
ID: 2141503

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

I wonder if there was enough time for a fast response tugboat to get to the ship.

This would be a dual engine tugboat with a fast engine to get there and then switch over to the tug engine or a new design that does both.

An early warning system sends ship power failure information to port authority computers, they then validate and send a fast response tugboat. This could be a drone tugboat piloted by remote.
That would speed up the response time.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 07:05:28
ID: 2141505

Designed to stop ships in short distances like air brakes stop planes, the Lacoste “ship-brake” here is
installed on USS Indiana (BB 1) at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, #OTD 1910. It would be removed by
November of the same year as Board members found the brake provided neither the promised short
stopping distances nor the reduced turning radius, and its weight had to be offset by reduced coal or
ammunition. Further, the board noted that without frequent use it would become clogged with marine
growth.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 07:10:40
ID: 2141507

ChrispenEvan said:

Designed to stop ships in short distances like air brakes stop planes, the Lacoste “ship-brake” here is
installed on USS Indiana (BB 1) at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, #OTD 1910. It would be removed by
November of the same year as Board members found the brake provided neither the promised short
stopping distances nor the reduced turning radius, and its weight had to be offset by reduced coal or
ammunition. Further, the board noted that without frequent use it would become clogged with marine
growth.

It was a nice idea at the time.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 08:40:59
ID: 2141517

I thought I’d bring in that reliability testing as it seems relevant here.

It’s already going on across different industries now including shipping.

But seeing ships lights going on and off repeatedly doesn’t look very reliable.

If shipping companies are neglecting maintenance then maybe port authorities should have a WIFi remote diagnostic system whereby they can log in over WIFi upon harbour entry so see the ships gps position and its overall engine and electrical systems, then they log out when the ship leaves harbour. Such systems need to be generic across the world to help bring costs down.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 08:48:36
ID: 2141518

Tau.Neutrino said:

If shipping companies are neglecting maintenance then maybe port authorities should have a WIFi remote diagnostic system whereby they can log in over WIFi upon harbour entry so see the ships gps position and its overall engine and electrical systems, then they log out when the ship leaves harbour. Such systems need to be generic across the world to help bring costs down.

What is needed is a fail safe system. Something that doesn’t always function as planned.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 09:07:00
ID: 2141520

roughbarked said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

What is needed is a fail safe system. Something that doesn’t always function as planned.

wifi range is about 100m.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 09:35:29
ID: 2141524

Tau.Neutrino said:

The ship had, if the report i read was correct, TWO pilots aboard.

Pilots are master mariners who have very extensive experience in handling large ships in harbour or restricted navigation environments, and who are most intimately acquainted with the characteristics of the harbours or sea areas (e.g. the Great Barrier Reef) to which they’re appointed. They are no mere amateurs at what they’re doing. They’re appointed by the marine authority which has jurisdiction over that harbour or sea area.

They know all about the channels, leading marks, underwater hazards, likely and extraordinary weather to be expected, islands, bridges, currents, swells, winds, available spaces for turns, best and safest speeds for vessels of various sizes, in short, they know EVERYTHING about their appointed area, they know it inside out.

While they’re aboard the vessel, and its navigating their area of operations, they have command of the vessel. It’s their ship, they, not the captain, are the ultimate authority for navigating that vessel. You could say that, in their person, the ‘port authorities’ do already have access to all of the ship’s systems. They have as much control over the ship, and its reactions to any situation, as it’s possible to make available to anyone.

Calls for some sort of control over the ship by some agency or office or site outside of the ship, from somewhere ashore, are entirely superfluous.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 09:38:53
ID: 2141526

ChrispenEvan said:

roughbarked said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

wifi range is about 100m.

Yes your right.

There are other wifi technologies such as Long range WIFI that has a range of 1.6km, compared with cell phone data at a much longer 35km.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi

So 35km – 40km on cellular appears a better option.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi

https://dgtlinfra.com/cell-tower-range-how-far-reach/

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 09:41:20
ID: 2141527

captain_spalding said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

The ship had, if the report i read was correct, TWO pilots aboard.

Pilots are master mariners who have very extensive experience in handling large ships in harbour or restricted navigation environments, and who are most intimately acquainted with the characteristics of the harbours or sea areas (e.g. the Great Barrier Reef) to which they’re appointed. They are no mere amateurs at what they’re doing. They’re appointed by the marine authority which has jurisdiction over that harbour or sea area.

They know all about the channels, leading marks, underwater hazards, likely and extraordinary weather to be expected, islands, bridges, currents, swells, winds, available spaces for turns, best and safest speeds for vessels of various sizes, in short, they know EVERYTHING about their appointed area, they know it inside out.

While they’re aboard the vessel, and its navigating their area of operations, they have command of the vessel. It’s their ship, they, not the captain, are the ultimate authority for navigating that vessel. You could say that, in their person, the ‘port authorities’ do already have access to all of the ship’s systems. They have as much control over the ship, and its reactions to any situation, as it’s possible to make available to anyone.

Calls for some sort of control over the ship by some agency or office or site outside of the ship, from somewhere ashore, are entirely superfluous.

Nods.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 09:45:20
ID: 2141530

if contaminated fuel is found to be the cause of the engine failure then the simplest remedy is to fix that problem. going on about all the tech solutions isn’t fixing the problem.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 09:56:44
ID: 2141532

Nuclear power on ships for the win¡

Wait.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 10:12:19
ID: 2141536

ChrispenEvan said:

if contaminated fuel is found to be the cause of the engine failure then the simplest remedy is to fix that problem. going on about all the tech solutions isn’t fixing the problem.

Maybe mobile tankers and fuelling stations need more contamination detection and controls.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 10:13:50
ID: 2141537

Tau.Neutrino said:

ChrispenEvan said:

Maybe mobile tankers and fuelling stations need more contamination detection and controls.

Including ships fuel tanks.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 10:15:50
ID: 2141540

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

ChrispenEvan said:

Including ships fuel tanks.

Just Melt Down Or Supercritical Compress That Nuclear Power¡

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 10:17:38
ID: 2141542

but the wings!! where are the wings?!!!?1

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 10:21:49
ID: 2141545

Arts said:

Seriously though, battery power for ships makes the most sense even despite all the doubters here, after all what is a ship but just a MetalFloating huge electrochemical reaction vessel¿

Reply Quote

Date: 3/04/2024 10:38:36
ID: 2141553

Arts said:

It did have wings but they fell off.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/04/2024 15:51:28
ID: 2142647

https://youtu.be/lSHsZbt0VjY?si=R6DND2omXweVVa_M

Legal Eagle breaks down the liability

Reply Quote

Date: 7/04/2024 14:08:46
ID: 2142863

For avoiding bridges in river systems and approaching piers for docking, an underwater rail system can guide big ships to stay in place with more precision, the ship pick up a line, batteries power a pully system on an underwater rail car.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/04/2024 16:38:27
ID: 2142895

Tau.Neutrino said:

For avoiding bridges in river systems and approaching piers for docking, an underwater rail system can guide big ships to stay in place with more precision, the ship pick up a line, batteries power a pully system on an underwater rail car.

Maybe the ship itself could have its own hauling system attached to an underground rail system,a line runs from under the bow of the ship down to the rail and up again to the stern of the ship,

Or something like that, maybe not as complicated.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/04/2024 12:27:48
ID: 2144535

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxeKXjDVqMA

Link

16:30 / 23:46

What caused the Power Failure : The Dali Incident

Chief MAKOi

he is a ships engineer.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/04/2024 12:53:50