Date: 1/04/2024 00:01:44
ID: 2140921
Subject: Pros and Cons of going cashless

Government tracking your spending? Expense for shops to deal in cash? People aren’t using cash? No cash for garage sales?

Will it happen in the next 10 years?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 00:37:53
ID: 2140925
Subject: re: Pros and Cons of going cashless

ChrispenEvan said:

Government tracking your spending? Expense for shops to deal in cash? People aren’t using cash? No cash for garage sales?

I’ll still be keeping sixpence tied in the corner of my hanky. You know, just in case.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 00:41:44
ID: 2140926

Woodie said:

ChrispenEvan said:

I’ll still be keeping sixpence tied in the corner of my hanky. You know, just in case.

heart emoji.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 01:44:54
ID: 2140930

I suppose that it could be argues it is worthwhile keeping physical currency just in case there’s some widespread local communications outage or something. Cash hasn’t been part of my life for quite a while now and I haven’t missed it.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 01:51:02
ID: 2140931

Woodie said:

ChrispenEvan said:

+1

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 03:58:49
ID: 2140938

Cash is a good thing for payments to people who are low income workers. Like tips to wait staff. Cash payments to the local kid who does the lawn mowing.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 04:08:37
ID: 2140939

dv said:

I suppose that it could be argues it is worthwhile keeping physical currency just in case there’s some widespread local communications outage or something. Cash hasn’t been part of my life for quite a while now and I haven’t missed it.

I agree, that if the internet crashes , or a natural disaster in regions occur , where infrastructure and power goes out, then people cannot access their digital funds.. this issue needs to be addressed and not to mention worldwide cyber attacks , the monopoly of that roll on effect.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 04:51:17
ID: 2140941

dv said:

you might presume cash has in some way been part of your life by way of an exchange or exchanges where it was used by others, so it may be not so directly visibly part of your life but has been part of your life, in some way like the air you breathe perhaps, its invisibility and ubiquity doesn’t bring itself to your attention, if you might indulge my analogy for a moment, and you know it’s a composition of gasses, held down on the earth by gravity, you get no sense you’re experiencing gravity that way and breathing nitrogen

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 05:07:15
ID: 2140943

Also…WHAT ABOUT THE TOOTH FAIRY!?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 09:30:14
ID: 2140950

The total elimination of cash will never be seriously contemplated by ‘the authorities’.

A paper bag full of $50 and $100 notes is always going to be the most discreet way to obtain political and law enforcement influence, preferred by parties on both sides of the transactions.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 09:35:54
ID: 2140952

captain_spalding said:

The total elimination of cash will never be seriously contemplated by ‘the authorities’.

A paper bag full of $50 and $100 notes is always going to be the most discreet way to obtain political and law enforcement influence, preferred by parties on both sides of the transactions.

Cryptocurrency Is Untraceable ¡

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 09:40:42
ID: 2140955

SCIENCE said:

captain_spalding said:

But nowhere near as tangible, reliable, record-less (someone, somewhere is keeping tabs on at least some kinds of crypto, you can bet on it) and ready-to-hand as a sackful of folding money.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 10:20:48
ID: 2140957

captain_spalding said:

I think bribes via bitcoins etc has taken over. Just as discreet. Crims are usually the ones leading the pack as far as innovation goes.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 10:21:14
ID: 2140958

SCIENCE said:

captain_spalding said:

Just said that!

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 10:25:03
ID: 2140959

captain_spalding said:

SCIENCE said:

captain_spalding said:

But nowhere near as tangible, reliable, record-less (someone, somewhere is keeping tabs on at least some kinds of crypto, you can bet on it) and ready-to-hand as a sackful of folding money.

crypto isn’t like a bank account.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 10:34:31
ID: 2140960

ChrispenEvan said:

captain_spalding said:

SCIENCE said:

crypto isn’t like a bank account.

It’s Totally Nothing Like ΛNØM ¡

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 11:00:15
ID: 2140961

ChrispenEvan said:

SCIENCE said:

captain_spalding said:

Just said that!

It’s untraceable now.

But, will it always be so? There’s probably well-funded and well-resourced efforts going on in several quarters to ensure that it isn’t.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 11:00:53
ID: 2140962

I’d imagine the pros would only take cash.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 11:02:29
ID: 2140963

Peak Warming Man said:

and taxis.

As the song says.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 12:10:04
ID: 2140968

captain_spalding said:

ChrispenEvan said:

SCIENCE said:

Just said that!

It’s untraceable now.

But, will it always be so? There’s probably well-funded and well-resourced efforts going on in several quarters to ensure that it isn’t.

until quantum computers are ubiquitous the encryption on these funds is unbreakable.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 13:14:15
ID: 2140984

Peak Warming Man said:

The good thing about cash is, you can hold it in your hand, and count it.

There’s no element of trust involved (have they really put that money in that account/wallet, as they claim?), little chance for deception (are the funds really in that account/wallet, or am i seeing some bit of clever computer wizardry here?), and you have it right on hand to deal with any expenses or confederates or whatever in the deal.

All very handy when you’re receiving money for something you shouldn’t be receiving money for. And when your confederates/backers aren’t willing to wait until you can convert the electronic money into cash.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 13:43:19
ID: 2140993

captain_spalding said:

Peak Warming Man said:

There’s no element of trust involved (have they really put that money in that account/wallet, as they claim?), little chance for deception (are the funds really in that account/wallet, or am i seeing some bit of clever computer wizardry here?), and you have it right on hand to deal with any expenses or confederates or whatever in the deal.

All very handy when you’re receiving money for something you shouldn’t be receiving money for. And when your confederates/backers aren’t willing to wait until you can convert the electronic money into cash.

all well and good until the arse drops out of you economy and you need 10 million marks to buy a loaf of bread.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 13:46:11
ID: 2140997

ChrispenEvan said:

captain_spalding said:

Peak Warming Man said:

all well and good until the arse drops out of you economy and you need 10 million marks to buy a loaf of bread.

looks like the arse has dropped off my “your”.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 13:54:12
ID: 2140998

ChrispenEvan said:

captain_spalding said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Would it make any difference what sort of currency you had if the arse dropped out of your economy and you needed 10 million marks to buy a loaf of bread? If you don’t have the money, it’s not going to matter what form it takes.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 14:05:56
ID: 2140999

buffy said:

ChrispenEvan said:

captain_spalding said:

Would it make any difference what sort of currency you had if the arse dropped out of your economy and you needed 10 million marks to buy a loaf of bread? If you don’t have the money, it’s not going to matter what form it takes.

I wonder why people hoard gold for hard times.
Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 14:07:59
ID: 2141001

the other day I saw guy on the side of the road who offered to ‘clean’ my windscreen, I said “sorry mate, I don’t carry cash on me”. and he pulled out a square reader.. I liked that so much I tapped him five bucks…

the lack of cash isn’t going to prevent social support for long… it may prevent some thefts, some drug use, and maybe some exchange of funds for body parts, but a way will be found to compensate…

I quite like not carrying cash and not having to be given change that has been tucked into the sweaty bra of another human.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 14:11:41
ID: 2141003

Arts said:

the other day I saw guy on the side of the road who offered to ‘clean’ my windscreen, I said “sorry mate, I don’t carry cash on me”. and he pulled out a square reader.. I liked that so much I tapped him five bucks…

the lack of cash isn’t going to prevent social support for long… it may prevent some thefts, some drug use, and maybe some exchange of funds for body parts, but a way will be found to compensate…

I quite like not carrying cash and not having to be given change that has been tucked into the sweaty bra of another human.

yep. I have some change in the car for parking but that is just because I don’t use my phone for banking. My card suffices and bills are paid online at home.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 14:14:14
ID: 2141005

ChrispenEvan said:

Arts said:

yep. I have some change in the car for parking but that is just because I don’t use my phone for banking. My card suffices and bills are paid online at home.

I have even downloaded a number of parking station eps, so I can pay for parking… the advantage of this is that if you are sitting in the restaurant and running out of parking, you can just adjust it on the ap and away you go… (I actually started doing this while Mr Arts was still in hospital and I stayed longer than I expected, so being able to adjust and not have to run down to pay for extra parking was super convenient).

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 14:17:14
ID: 2141006

Arts said:

ChrispenEvan said:

Arts said:

I have even downloaded a number of parking station eps, so I can pay for parking… the advantage of this is that if you are sitting in the restaurant and running out of parking, you can just adjust it on the ap and away you go… (I actually started doing this while Mr Arts was still in hospital and I stayed longer than I expected, so being able to adjust and not have to run down to pay for extra parking was super convenient).

I do miss my cheque book and stash of envelopes and stamps.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 14:26:43
ID: 2141008

ChrispenEvan said:

Arts said:

ChrispenEvan said:

My kids found our old cheque book the other week, they did actually know what it was but the boy child said “It’s a note from your bank to say you are good for the coin”. and that’s not too wrong.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 14:29:57
ID: 2141009

Arts said:

ChrispenEvan said:

Arts said:

My kids found our old cheque book the other week, they did actually know what it was but the boy child said “It’s a note from your bank to say you are good for the coin”. and that’s not too wrong.

I’ve never had a cheque book.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 14:31:55
ID: 2141010

Arts said:

ChrispenEvan said:

Arts said:

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 14:37:38
ID: 2141011

party_pants said:

Arts said:

ChrispenEvan said:

Blimey.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 14:38:59
ID: 2141012

Peak Warming Man said:

party_pants said:

Arts said:

Blimey.

I know right. I’m over 50.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 14:47:57
ID: 2141013

I’ve got a question. I’ve noticed some of the young tradies using cash at our local bakery. I found it surprising. Is there some fashion thing I don’t know about? Or do they do it for budgeting?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 14:48:41
ID: 2141014

ChrispenEvan said:

Arts said:

ChrispenEvan said:

You won’t be surprised to know I’ve still got an active cheque book. Rarely used. But sometimes I use it.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 14:49:28
ID: 2141015

buffy said:

I’ve got a question. I’ve noticed some of the young tradies using cash at our local bakery. I found it surprising. Is there some fashion thing I don’t know about? Or do they do it for budgeting?

might be getting some pay off the books.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 14:50:09
ID: 2141016

party_pants said:

Peak Warming Man said:

party_pants said:

Blimey.

And I believe you were a bank johnny at some stage.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 14:53:40
ID: 2141018

Peak Warming Man said:

party_pants said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Blimey.

Yes. Whenever I did nee a cheque, which was not very often, I was able to get a bank cheque for free. So I never needed a personal cheque book. Property settlements were all done in Bank Cheques, so we had hundreds of them in the office.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 15:08:04
ID: 2141023

party_pants said:

Peak Warming Man said:

party_pants said:

Yes. Whenever I did nee a cheque, which was not very often, I was able to get a bank cheque for free. So I never needed a personal cheque book. Property settlements were all done in Bank Cheques, so we had hundreds of them in the office.

I haven’t read your file for some time.
Oh dear,………dear oh dear.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 15:10:19
ID: 2141025

ChrispenEvan said:

buffy said:

“might”?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 15:16:43
ID: 2141028

The Rev Dodgson said:

ChrispenEvan said:

buffy said:

“might”?

presume innocent until proven guilty. benefit of the doubt.

:-)

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 15:33:40
ID: 2141046

buffy said:

ChrispenEvan said:

Arts said:

You won’t be surprised to know I’ve still got an active cheque book. Rarely used. But sometimes I use it.

+1

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 15:37:42
ID: 2141051

I pay Mr Tunks in cash because it’s not really a business transaction with all the attendant hoo-ha, just thanks for a favour.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 15:52:36
ID: 2141065

captain_spalding said:

I’m more concerned about the banks removing ATMs.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 15:57:59
ID: 2141067

KJW said:

captain_spalding said:

my goodness, how the hell do you expect them to return a profit with actual bricks and mortar stores sucking the life out of them!!!???? won’t somebody think of the board of directors children?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 16:22:45
ID: 2141084

KJW said:

captain_spalding said:

Absolutely!
And then pushing the cash-handling aspect onto the Post Office.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 16:37:12
ID: 2141090

AussieDJ said:

KJW said:

captain_spalding said:

Absolutely!

My bank stopped using the Post Office, so I have to use the supermarket if I need cash.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 17:01:56
ID: 2141102

Michael V said:

AussieDJ said:

KJW said:

Absolutely!

My bank stopped using the Post Office, so I have to use the supermarket if I need cash.

Aren’t Post Offices becoming obsolete also?

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 17:28:50
ID: 2141109

KJW said:

Michael V said:

AussieDJ said:

Absolutely!

Aye, they are diversifying in all types of ways to make a quid.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 18:17:44
ID: 2141130

kii said:

Also…WHAT ABOUT THE TOOTH FAIRY!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=BTVPLus5Ol0

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 18:19:28
ID: 2141132

captain_spalding said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 19:21:37
ID: 2141149

Peak Warming Man said:

party_pants said:

Arts said:

Blimey.

I was given a chequebook when I opened an account in the late 1980s, even used it a few times, but it was well obsolete by the 1990s.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 19:22:45
ID: 2141153

buffy said:

I’m not going to imply that the trades rely on the flow of spice but it is easy to imagine that a lot of tradies end up requiring cash anyway.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 19:51:17
ID: 2141169

Peak Warming Man said:

KJW said:

Michael V said:

Aye, they are diversifying in all types of ways to make a quid.

I’m old fashioned enough to use AP when shipping parcels domestically.

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 21:38:57
ID: 2141200

you need to consider what you’re referring to as CASH (a mutually agreed upon currency) is an intangible
concept when you think back to the good olde days of trading/bartering goods and services
you replace the roof on my shed for me mucking out your well etc.

I remember discussing the concept of currency in grade school
when the teacher explained trade as “eggs for scones”
and me (always the wise arse even then) said,
“it’s when you’re buying something only
worth say half a goat that
things got messy”

Reply Quote

Date: 1/04/2024 21:44:07
ID: 2141204

Ogmog said:

you need to consider what you’re referring to as CASH (a mutually agreed upon currency) is an intangible
concept when you think back to the good olde days of trading/bartering goods and services

things got messy”

You replace my roof otherwise your house might burn down, now we wouldn’t want that would we sunshine.

Reply Quote

Date: 2/04/2024 01:29:15
ID: 2141258

Peak Warming Man said:

Ogmog said:

things got messy”

You replace my roof otherwise your house might burn down, now we wouldn’t want that would we sunshine.

yar, that’s a bit sticky

Reply Quote

Date: 2/04/2024 13:36:55
ID: 2141337

Peak Warming Man said:

Ogmog said:

things got messy”

eh,,…..,do you take checks? /-8

Reply Quote