Date: 15/07/2024 15:45:38
ID: 2175066
Subject: Adelaide University

Today marks the global launch of Adelaide University – the new institution created by the merger of the University of Adelaide and the University of South Australia. This is a pretty special moment for a lot of people and something that has been in the making for almost two years. The doors of the new uni open in 2026.

Take some time to check out the website

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2024 15:47:41
ID: 2175067
Subject: re: Adelaide University

diddly-squat said:

Today marks the global launch of Adelaide University – the new institution created by the merger of the University of Adelaide and the University of South Australia. This is a pretty special moment for a lot of people and something that has been in the making for almost two years. The doors of the new uni open in 2026.

Thanks and congrats/.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2024 15:48:09
ID: 2175068

Since this is the opening day, you’d think the website would have swirling confetti and balloons.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2024 16:23:53
ID: 2175078

diddly-squat said:

So were/are you involved with this reduction in the number of universities in SA?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2024 16:26:41
ID: 2175079

The Rev Dodgson said:

diddly-squat said:

So were/are you involved with this reduction in the number of universities in SA?

OK, I suppose I should be used to this sort of stuff by now, but:

“Adelaide University’s brand personality”

really?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2024 18:05:42
ID: 2175108

They made me redundant 27 years ago – can go jump for all I care

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2024 18:09:20
ID: 2175110

diddly-squat said:

that’ll save some dollars.. I’m sure there are a lot of people congratulating themselves for their work.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2024 18:09:52
ID: 2175111

Neophyte said:

if you look on the records it’ll be because of COVID

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2024 18:14:16
ID: 2175113

Arts said:

Neophyte said:

And UniSA dumped me 13 years ago…Perhaps I should try doing like that bloke years ago who figured, since he’d worked there for 7 years, was owed a degree. Even took them to court (and lost, to no-one’s surprise).

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2024 18:15:59
ID: 2175114

Arts said:

diddly-squat said:

that’ll save some dollars.. I’m sure there are a lot of people congratulating themselves for their work.

The Marketing Offices of both institutions were always most self-congratulatory. Now watch them spend six months creating a “style guide” – and then ignoring it completely.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2024 18:18:06
ID: 2175115

Neophyte said:

Arts said:

Neophyte said:

And UniSA dumped me 13 years ago…Perhaps I should try doing like that bloke years ago who figured, since he’d worked there for 7 years, was owed a degree. Even took them to court (and lost, to no-one’s surprise).

when i landed the contract here I asked the manager how long it was for and she aid “Oh gosh no, you’ll be a skeleton in your office before you leave”… one of the last permanent contracts this place ever gave.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2024 18:19:32
ID: 2175117

Neophyte said:

Arts said:

diddly-squat said:

The Marketing Offices of both institutions were always most self-congratulatory. Now watch them spend six months creating a “style guide” – and then ignoring it completely.

lol.. true true… I could tell some marketing stories as well, but I still work here and some people know where ‘here’ is, so I’ll play nice.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2024 18:51:42
ID: 2175144

Arts said:

Neophyte said:

Was COVID around 27 years ago?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2024 19:35:06
ID: 2175154

Neophyte said:

They needed the cash to pay the vice-chancellor.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2024 19:38:23
ID: 2175156

poikilotherm said:

Neophyte said:

They disposed of me just as they were beginning to smell the dollars to be made rom international student – now they depend on them.

You knew it was the beginning of the end when they began referring to students as clients.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2024 20:36:03
ID: 2175182

Okay

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 09:04:03
ID: 2175224

Neophyte said:

poikilotherm said:

Neophyte said:

They disposed of me just as they were beginning to smell the dollars to be made rom international student – now they depend on them.

You knew it was the beginning of the end when they began referring to students as clients.

To be fair, that is all universities. International students keep them all afloat. They all took hits in 2020 and still trying to recover. The new visa laws are creating a smaller impact, but an impact post COVID recovery so it feels bigger.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 09:26:15
ID: 2175231

The Rev Dodgson said:

diddly-squat said:

no, my wife is.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 09:33:21
ID: 2175236

Arts said:

Neophyte said:

Arts said:

lol.. true true… I could tell some marketing stories as well, but I still work here and some people know where ‘here’ is, so I’ll play nice.

I get a bit of glimpse into executive level the fish bowl and while it seems to me a lot of the teaching and learning and research staff don’t really get the need for functions like marketing and the like, it’s easy to forget that universities are also very large businesses.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 09:42:19
ID: 2175240

diddly-squat said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

diddly-squat said:

no, my wife is.

and what does she think about it all?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 09:56:16
ID: 2175252

The Rev Dodgson said:

diddly-squat said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

no, my wife is.

and what does she think about it all?

It may surprise you to learn that a lot of people from Adelaide are incredibly parochial so it’s been a hard sell to a lot of the local business and academic elite (especially the alumni about how it dilutes their degree or whatever) but she’s excited about it. It’s good thing for the current students of the two institutions and a good thing for the future students of AU.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 13:46:50
ID: 2175417

diddly-squat said:

Arts said:

Neophyte said:

I get a bit of glimpse into executive level the fish bowl and while it seems to me a lot of the teaching and learning and research staff don’t really get the need for functions like marketing and the like, it’s easy to forget that universities are also very large businesses.

that’s funny.. and also incorrect that academics ‘forget’ the business side. From a perspective of ‘in business’ it’s very clear that a marketing department is needed… what’s laughable are their methods and complete disregard for the nuts and bolts of what the university focus should be – education. Money is needed – sure.. but at what cost? the marketing department sees only the beginning.. the part where the numbers look good and the payments are made – but they do this at the cost to the educational output. Not everyone should go to university – there I said it.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 14:54:18
ID: 2175427

Arts said:

diddly-squat said:

Arts said:

that’s funny.. and also incorrect that academics ‘forget’ the business side. From a perspective of ‘in business’ it’s very clear that a marketing department is needed… what’s laughable are their methods and complete disregard for the nuts and bolts of what the university focus should be – education. Money is needed – sure.. but at what cost? the marketing department sees only the beginning.. the part where the numbers look good and the payments are made – but they do this at the cost to the educational output. Not everyone should go to university – there I said it.

As you know, marketing is not (just) student recruitment, in fact most Go8 universities have separate marketing and recruitment (both domestic and international) functions.

The frustration I sense (either correctly or incorrectly) from your post is that there could be an argument that too much money is allocated to functions that are not purely focused on teaching and learning outcomes, and look maybe that’s true, but from what I’ve seen a lot marketing effort also goes into things like supporting promotion of research outcomes, promotion and support of high performing or otherwise noteworthy individuals within the organisation, promotion and support of programs to assist disadvantaged students, and general brand recognition/promotion in what is a very competitive domestic and international market. They also provide a means for universities to invest back into the student body through employment of roles like student ambassadors.

Not sure which uni you are at, but I’d be interested to understand what “disregard of the nuts and bolts” means to you and what you’d do different if you were VC.

I also completely agree with you that not everyone should, or even needs to, go to university, but I do also believe that no one should be denied that opportunity if it’s something they want to try and if they can meet the minimum entry requirements.

Reply Quote