Date: 16/07/2024 11:30:12
ID: 2175287
Subject: Curled up dimensions

Further to:

JudgeMental said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

JudgeMental said:

Quora has a good, in my mind, description of what curled up dimensions are.

Got a link?

Or should I switch on my sarcasm detector?

https://www.quora.com/In-string-theory-what-does-it-mean-that-spatial-dimensions-are-curled-up-How-can-a-dimension-be-confined-in-a-space-when-it-is-itself-describing-a-space#:~:text=If%20you%20think%20about%20a,wraps%20back%20around%20on%20itself.

Link.

There was a little bit of sarc there.

:-)

The link says:
What it means is that the dimensions, which are like length, width, and height, don’t have much distance. If you think about a pencil drawing on a piece of paper, you might think it’s two-dimensional, but it isn’t, the third dimension is just so tiny that you don’t notice it. When scientists say a dimension is curled up, what they mean is that it wraps back around on itself. The idea is that, of something was small enough to traverse the dimension it wouldn’t be able to travel very far in that direction before it ended up back where it started, but also, that distance is so small that even electrons won’t fit (their wavelength is too big), but maybe some extremely short wavelength light can (though what that would mean to how the light behaves, I don’t know).

To which I say, if a dimension is curled up to a tiny point within 3D space, how is that a new dimension, rather than a point within 3D space?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 11:35:11
ID: 2175292
Subject: re: Curled up dimensions

The Rev Dodgson said:

Further to:

JudgeMental said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Got a link?

https://www.quora.com/In-string-theory-what-does-it-mean-that-spatial-dimensions-are-curled-up-How-can-a-dimension-be-confined-in-a-space-when-it-is-itself-describing-a-space#:~:text=If%20you%20think%20about%20a,wraps%20back%20around%20on%20itself.

Link.

The link says:
What it means is that the dimensions, which are like length, width, and height, don’t have much distance. If you think about a pencil drawing on a piece of paper, you might think it’s two-dimensional, but it isn’t, the third dimension is just so tiny that you don’t notice it. When scientists say a dimension is curled up, what they mean is that it wraps back around on itself. The idea is that, of something was small enough to traverse the dimension it wouldn’t be able to travel very far in that direction before it ended up back where it started, but also, that distance is so small that even electrons won’t fit (their wavelength is too big), but maybe some extremely short wavelength light can (though what that would mean to how the light behaves, I don’t know).

To which I say, if a dimension is curled up to a tiny point within 3D space, how is that a new dimension, rather than a point within 3D space?

Most analogies don’t bear close analysis

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 11:36:51
ID: 2175293

The Rev Dodgson said:

Further to:

JudgeMental said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Got a link?

Link.

The link says:

It influences the larger macroscopic universe ?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 11:39:39
ID: 2175298

Don’t know about all that but in the fields that we work in we do computations with vectors of many dimensions so there could be 2000 dimensions in some of these models, curled up or otherwise.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 11:41:13
ID: 2175301

dv said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Further to:

JudgeMental said:

Link.

The link says:

But surely an analogy must have some similarities to the thing they are analogous to, or they wouldn’t be an analogy?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 11:42:55
ID: 2175306

The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Further to:

The link says:

But surely an analogy must have some similarities to the thing they are analogous to, or they wouldn’t be an analogy?

They can both be described in natural language¡

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 11:45:28
ID: 2175308

SCIENCE said:

Don’t know about all that but in the fields that we work in we do computations with vectors of many dimensions so there could be 2000 dimensions in some of these models, curled up or otherwise.

Well yes, I spend my days observing my computer calculating 1000+ dimensional spaces, but I still don’t get the curled up concept.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 11:48:17
ID: 2175313

The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Further to:

The link says:

Imagine an analogy is a a rollmop

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 11:51:08
ID: 2175317

The Rev Dodgson said:

SCIENCE said:

SCIENCE said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

They can both be described in natural language¡

Well yes, I spend my days observing my computer calculating 1000+ dimensional spaces, but I still don’t get the curled up concept.

Good point, we retract our earlier and issue the following correction.

They can both be misleadingly or inaccurately or simplistically or otherwise unhelpfully described in natural language¡

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 11:51:30
ID: 2175318

dv said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

You mean an analogy is an analogy of a rollmop, or a rollmop is an analogy of an analogy?

Either way, I’m not sure how it helps.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 11:53:25
ID: 2175324

The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

You mean an analogy is an analogy of a rollmop, or a rollmop is an analogy of an analogy?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 11:57:17
ID: 2175327

SCIENCE said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

I made a swiss roll, he was not happy being pushed down that hill

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 12:43:09
ID: 2175355

The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

String theory is probably shit anyway so alas I can’t bother to uncurl this is greater detail.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 13:01:36
ID: 2175374

dv said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

String theory is probably shit anyway so alas I can’t bother to uncurl this is greater detail.

Takes back the “Good” :)

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 13:03:04
ID: 2175377

Maybe we’re all overthinking it and all they meant was that the spatial dimensions were all subject to a ∇ × operation.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 13:04:37
ID: 2175379

The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

But where does stringy shit belong on the Bristol chart anyway¿

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 13:06:48
ID: 2175382

SCIENCE said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

But where does stringy shit belong on the Bristol chart anyway¿

Proctologists have fought wars over this decision

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 13:07:18
ID: 2175383

SCIENCE said:

Maybe we’re all overthinking it and all they meant was that the spatial dimensions were all subject to a ∇ × operation.

You will no doubt be horrified to learn that I had to look up ∇ × operation.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 13:13:50
ID: 2175391

The Rev Dodgson said:

SCIENCE said:

You will no doubt be horrified to learn that I had to look up ∇ × operation.

The nabla is used in vector calculus as part of three distinct differential operators: the gradient (∇), the divergence (∇⋅), and the curl (∇×). The last of these uses the cross product and thus makes sense only in three dimensions; the first two are fully general. They were all originally studied in the context of the classical theory of electromagnetism, and contemporary university physics curricula typically treat the material using approximately the concepts and notation found in Gibbs and Wilson’s Vector Analysis.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 16:23:03
ID: 2175453

Can you 3d print it out ?

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2024 17:19:48
ID: 2175466

String theorists aren’t very good with words, so when they talk to you about “curled up dimensions” just watch what they do with their hands, that’ll give you an idea.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/07/2024 14:04:33
ID: 2175808

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/23197/how-can-one-imagine-curled-up-dimensions

Reply Quote