Date: 24/07/2024 08:12:51
ID: 2178521
Subject: Solar farms

I suppose we should have a thread on them.

AMA.

I will do my best to answer.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 08:20:50
ID: 2178523
Subject: re: Solar farms

Dark Orange said:

AMA.

And for a limited time only, I am on a solar farm that shares its real estate with livestock.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 08:28:14
ID: 2178528

Dark Orange said:

Dark Orange said:

AMA.

And for a limited time only, I am on a solar farm that shares its real estate with livestock.

Sheep?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 08:32:07
ID: 2178530

Dark Orange said:

Dark Orange said:

AMA.

How’s that working?

Just the other day I was reading something somewhere about how solar farms using agricultural land was a big problem.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 08:34:29
ID: 2178533

The Rev Dodgson said:

Dark Orange said:

Dark Orange said:

AMA.

How’s that working?

Just the other day I was reading something somewhere about how solar farms using agricultural land was a big problem.

Complaints complaints!

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 08:41:40
ID: 2178544

Actually , something that had not occurred to me was the insurance coverage a farmer needs to consider , for having a property next to a solar farm and that is fire damage insurance if the fire starts on the farmer’s property which is prohibitively expensive or having a solar farm on their property that burns out another farmer’s property if there is a fault that triggers a fire is also prohibitively expensive to insure against.

These conversations would brought up on a TV show a couple of months ago but I think if the property consultation happens then it is cool to have solar farms we do need them

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 08:42:41
ID: 2178545

edits*These conversations were brought up on a TV show a couple of months ago but I think if the property consultation happens then it is cool to have solar farms we do need them

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 08:52:13
ID: 2178548

The Rev Dodgson said:

Dark Orange said:

Dark Orange said:

AMA.

How’s that working?

This is my first experience with it as well.

My thoughts on the practice:

Apparently the only livestock that won’t jump on, push, or eat the infrastructure are mature, Merino sheep.
It’s difficult to chase up lambing ewes through the panels, so they just keep the docile (neutered) males on site.

While the solar panels do shade the grass, the shade also helps in summer to prevent everything from drying out. The dew also collects on, and drips off, the panels which keeps everything green all year round.

Swings and roundabouts, but ultimately they can run as many sheep on a solar farm as they would if there were not any solar panels, with the only limitation being the type of livestock.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 08:55:25
ID: 2178551

monkey skipper said:

Actually , something that had not occurred to me was the insurance coverage a farmer needs to consider , for having a property next to a solar farm and that is fire damage insurance if the fire starts on the farmer’s property which is prohibitively expensive or having a solar farm on their property that burns out another farmer’s property if there is a fault that triggers a fire is also prohibitively expensive to insure against.

These conversations would brought up on a TV show a couple of months ago but I think if the property consultation happens then it is cool to have solar farms we do need them

To be honest, solar farms are paranoid about fire and will have a fire break between the panels and the fence line, and a further fire break around the outside of the fence line. But this paranoia is about fires starting externally and damaging their equipment.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 09:14:32
ID: 2178557

The Rev Dodgson said:

Dark Orange said:

Dark Orange said:

AMA.

How’s that working?

I have heard a few reports of grazing sheep around/under solar farms being more productive.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 09:18:20
ID: 2178561

Ian said:

The Rev Dodgson said:
Dark Orange said:
How’s that working?

I have heard a few reports of grazing sheep around/under solar farms being more productive.
When I first mentioned it here a few weeks ago, I was pooh-poohed.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 09:19:34
ID: 2178563

OCDC said:

Ian said:
The Rev Dodgson said:
How’s that working?

I don’t recall such fecation. Seemed to make sense.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 09:20:27
ID: 2178564

Dark Orange said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Dark Orange said:

How’s that working?

This is my first experience with it as well.

My thoughts on the practice:

Apparently the only livestock that won’t jump on, push, or eat the infrastructure are mature, Merino sheep.
It’s difficult to chase up lambing ewes through the panels, so they just keep the docile (neutered) males on site.

While the solar panels do shade the grass, the shade also helps in summer to prevent everything from drying out. The dew also collects on, and drips off, the panels which keeps everything green all year round.

Swings and roundabouts, but ultimately they can run as many sheep on a solar farm as they would if there were not any solar panels, with the only limitation being the type of livestock.

Yes. That was my understanding as well.

There area number of solar farms popping up around here.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 09:23:07
ID: 2178566

OCDC said:

Ian said:
The Rev Dodgson said:
How’s that working?

Probably by me.

My experience thus-far has been on solar farms in the tropics who’s design prevents the inclusion of livestock.

These southern climes apparently require a less dense array of panels and higher supporting structures, allowing the consideration of alternate uses.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 09:23:24
ID: 2178567

dv said:

OCDC said:
Ian said:
IIRC you found a link supporting my claim.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 09:24:22
ID: 2178568

OCDC said:

dv said:
OCDC said:

…and it was a link to the farm I am currently working at :)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 09:25:00
ID: 2178569

OCDC said:

Ian said:
The Rev Dodgson said:
How’s that working?

Not by me.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 09:25:43
ID: 2178570

Dark Orange said:

OCDC said:

dv said:

Funny that.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 09:35:51
ID: 2178576

OCDC said:

Ian said:
The Rev Dodgson said:
How’s that working?

It wasn’t my poo or pooh for that matter.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 09:37:56
ID: 2178581

OCDC said:

Ian said:
The Rev Dodgson said:
How’s that working?

not by me as I mentioned it a while ago also.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 09:39:41
ID: 2178583

ChrispenEvan said:

OCDC said:

Ian said:

Yeah. It was on here quuite a while before but nobody reads my posts..

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 09:46:18
ID: 2178586

OCDC said:

Ian said:

The Rev Dodgson said:
How’s that working?

we read it elsewhere more than a few weeks ago so as others seem to be claiming it doesn’t seem that the flinging of digestive by-product has been a dominant feature even if it was a demented feature

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 09:57:19
ID: 2178592

Ian said:

OCDC said:

Ian said:

It wasn’t my poo or pooh for that matter.

Wait isn’t CHINA building the most, doesn’t that mean that actually pooh is all over it¿

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 10:03:12
ID: 2178596

roughbarked said:

ChrispenEvan said:

OCDC said:

Yeah. It was on here quuite a while before but nobody reads my posts..

You sound troubled my son.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 11:17:31
ID: 2178616

Dark Orange said:

OCDC said:

dv said:

So it seems we are all in agreement…

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 14:38:09
ID: 2178680

Fk CHINA and their new age sodium ion batteries¡

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-07-24/core-lithium-hopes-for-price-revival-northern-territory-mine/104109556

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 16:20:39
ID: 2178702

SCIENCE said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-07-24/core-lithium-hopes-for-price-revival-northern-territory-mine/104109556

Actually, battery storage is an essential part of making solar useful. Instead of building a 100MW solar farm that only produces 500MWh of juice in the middle of the day when nobody wants it, they can build a 50MW farm with 250MWh of battery storage and supply that juice when people actually need it.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 16:27:11
ID: 2178703

Dark Orange said:

SCIENCE said:

Actually, battery storage is an essential part of making solar useful. Instead of building a 100MW solar farm that only produces 500MWh of juice in the middle of the day when nobody wants it, they can build a 50MW farm with 250MWh of battery storage and supply that juice when people actually need it.

How long before the batteries have to be replaced.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 16:27:50
ID: 2178704

Dark Orange said:

SCIENCE said:

May I add safe battery storage is essential for running households and businesses during no sun capture period or low sun capture periods otherwise the system has to pull energy from the power grid.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 16:32:40
ID: 2178706

Peak Warming Man said:

Dark Orange said:

SCIENCE said:

Domestic household with good quality batteries their self life is approximately 10 years ( to be running optimally). Which brings up back to the dual focus of Solar is the shelf life of the panels , the inverter and the battery storage for a household or a community street.

They have to factor in how to manage this , how to re-use the solar panel components and recycle the batteries

The inverter fails first though this immediately affects the capacity of the solar system there is another major issue where different suppliers have different ways for the parts to connect to the point sometime an entire solar system is replaced because they don’t have the parts to add to a system or partially repair a system

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 16:39:54
ID: 2178707

And domestic systems have to pass the shade check , a lot of urban shrubs , trees and more are being cutdown to install solar to pass the shade test

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 16:45:27
ID: 2178708

monkey skipper said:

And domestic systems have to pass the shade check , a lot of urban shrubs , trees and more are being cutdown to install solar to pass the shade test

They did say the future would be bright and to wear shades

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 16:59:41
ID: 2178709

Cymek said:

monkey skipper said:

They did say the future would be bright and to wear shades

Probably but managing co2 emissions with urban sprawl and maintaining urban habitats will become more difficult with less plants. On the other hand educating people to think about what type of energy sources they plan to have now and in their future , should be incorporated into their garden design so that plants aren’t above the roofline.

But then again designing houses with shades and light reduces reliance on heating and cooling ….. and so it goes on

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 17:52:19
ID: 2178724

Peak Warming Man said:

Dark Orange said:

SCIENCE said:

IDK about these sodium jobs but the Vandium Ion boys should be good for hundreds of years.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/07/2024 19:39:38
ID: 2178740

Peak Warming Man said:

Dark Orange said:

SCIENCE said:

The unpopular reality is that it doesn’t matter. The battery technology used will be the one that makes the most profit in a reasonable timeframe.

And that’s not as bad as it sounds.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/07/2024 06:47:43
ID: 2180416

DO how many households does a solar farm run or does this vary? Are solar farms currently similar in size or no?

Reply Quote

Date: 29/07/2024 08:19:01
ID: 2180432

monkey skipper said:

DO how many households does a solar farm run or does this vary? Are solar farms currently similar in size or no?

Houses use about 3.5KW and 1MW should power around 285714.28 houses

Reply Quote

Date: 29/07/2024 08:24:40
ID: 2180436

roughbarked said:

monkey skipper said:

Surely you mean about 285.714285714286 houses.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/07/2024 08:28:37
ID: 2180437

The Rev Dodgson said:

roughbarked said:

monkey skipper said:

I’m not the best at maths. ;)

Reply Quote

Date: 29/07/2024 08:39:48
ID: 2180438

roughbarked said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

roughbarked said:

First rule of checking calculations:

Whenever someone uses a number written with a ridiculous level of precision, do a quick check on that number, there’s a good chance it’s out by an order of magnitude or 3 :)

Reply Quote

Date: 29/07/2024 08:41:40
ID: 2180439

The Rev Dodgson said:

roughbarked said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Whenever someone uses a number written with a ridiculous level of precision, do a quick check on that number, there’s a good chance it’s out by an order of magnitude or 3 :)

I’ll remember that. ;)

Probably not.
Reply Quote

Date: 29/07/2024 09:18:17
ID: 2180452

roughbarked said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

roughbarked said:

I’ll remember that. ;)

Probably not.

an order of magnitude or pi yous mean

Reply Quote

Date: 29/07/2024 13:51:20
ID: 2180611

Average consumption for a household in Australia is about 1 kW, which is convenient.

Reply Quote