Date: 29/04/2017 05:29:54
ID: 1058527
Subject: Bad evolution diagrams

Anthropocentrism is in some ways understandable but in the context of zoology it should be eschewed where possible.

Historically, taxonomy was highly anthropocentric, but over the last 50 years this has changed. Humans, bonobos and chimps are now part of a clade called Hominini, emphasising the fact that humans and chimps are much more closely related to each other than they are to any other animals.

Diagrams concerning primate evolution have also evolved.

This diagram from a 1879 book by Ernst Haeckel, which is detailed and shows evolution as a literal tree with animals ranked, in effect, by how closely they are related to humans. Invertebrates at the bottom, non-mammal vertebrates next, various mammals with primates at the top and right at the top, like an angel on a Christmas tree, MAN.
Haeckel Tree of Life

Here is a 1929 cover for a book by zoologist William King Gregory, showing evolution as a kind of upward ride through monkeys and apes to humanity. The second last face is that of Trucanini, a Tasmanian aborigine.

Even today, though, diagrams on primate evolution tend to be anthropocentric. This example is typical. It is an improvement in that it shows all extant forms equally evolved (ie, on the same vertical level). But there are two anthropocentric characteristics here: groups are shown veering off from the path that led to humanity with no further detail within these groups, and humans are shown at the very rightmost. This enables reader to recreate, in their minds, the paraphyletic groups of the olden days (eg a group containing gorillas and chimps but not humans).

I prefer evolution diagrams that have the following properties:

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 06:03:13
ID: 1058533
Subject: re: Bad evolution diagrams

dv said:

Anthropocentrism is in some ways understandable but in the context of zoology it should be eschewed where possible.

Historically, taxonomy was highly anthropocentric, but over the last 50 years this has changed. Humans, bonobos and chimps are now part of a clade called Hominini, emphasising the fact that humans and chimps are much more closely related to each other than they are to any other animals.

Diagrams concerning primate evolution have also evolved.

This diagram from a 1879 book by Ernst Haeckel, which is detailed and shows evolution as a literal tree with animals ranked, in effect, by how closely they are related to humans. Invertebrates at the bottom, non-mammal vertebrates next, various mammals with primates at the top and right at the top, like an angel on a Christmas tree, MAN.
Haeckel Tree of Life

Here is a 1929 cover for a book by zoologist William King Gregory, showing evolution as a kind of upward ride through monkeys and apes to humanity. The second last face is that of Trucanini, a Tasmanian aborigine.

Even today, though, diagrams on primate evolution tend to be anthropocentric. This example is typical. It is an improvement in that it shows all extant forms equally evolved (ie, on the same vertical level). But there are two anthropocentric characteristics here: groups are shown veering off from the path that led to humanity with no further detail within these groups, and humans are shown at the very rightmost. This enables reader to recreate, in their minds, the paraphyletic groups of the olden days (eg a group containing gorillas and chimps but not humans).

I prefer evolution diagrams that have the following properties:

• Humans are shown in a position that does not highlight the distinction, ie not at either edge, nor in the centre.
  • Sorting is chosen that reinforces the relationships: do not put chimps adjacent to gorillas, do not put gibbons adjacent to Old World Monkeys.
  • Give large clades some kind of division. Don’t just have a single thread leading to “Old World Monkeys”, a group that contains two major clades that diverged 14 million years ago. I realise for the same of simplicity you might not show all splits but at least take it down to the level of families.
  • The vertical scale should be somewhat linear with time.
  • Ideally, include major extinct groups as well to give some sense of the process of speciation, divergence, extinction, survival.

You would need a very large piece of paper to include all that.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 06:14:30
ID: 1058539

and it would look like this

but sparser

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 06:18:59
ID: 1058546

SCIENCE said:

but sparser

Perhaps I should put my gimp where my mouth is or vice versa and show you what it should look like…

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 06:21:11
ID: 1058549

dv said:

SCIENCE said:

!https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2806/33472801654_d28a94021b_z.jpg

but sparser

Perhaps I should put my gimp where my mouth is or vice versa and show you what it should look like…

Do one called “OUR FISH from MAN to FACE

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 06:23:46
ID: 1058550

Fishface manour

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 06:25:07
ID: 1058551

Seriously though, I agree that giving humans the same status as the other branches gives us a clearer picture of life on Earth and our actual place in it.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 06:25:57
ID: 1058552

Bubblecar said:

dv said:

SCIENCE said:

!https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2806/33472801654_d28a94021b_z.jpg

but sparser

Do one called “OUR FISH from MAN to FACE

By the time he returns with the data, half of us will have died and the other half will not remember him.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 06:28:14
ID: 1058553

Bubblecar said:

Seriously though, I agree that giving humans the same status as the other branches gives us a clearer picture of life on Earth and our actual place in it.

Thank you

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 06:28:22
ID: 1058554

Bubblecar said:

We only occupy one branch, but if you wanted to detail say whales. Humans would not be in it, other than also being a mammal.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 06:28:27
ID: 1058555

Bubblecar said:

Shouldn’t we be at the top grounding everything else underfoot

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 06:31:50
ID: 1058558

Cymek said:

Bubblecar said:

Shouldn’t we be at the top grounding everything else underfoot

That, too, is a recent phenomenon.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 07:35:04
ID: 1058603

This link should work better.
dv said:

OK, so what do we call these groupings these days? Eg what do we now call “ovularia”?

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 07:37:21
ID: 1058605

paraphyletic

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 07:40:06
ID: 1058609

Here’s an evolution of the human skull. From Java man to Piltdown to Neanderthal to Cro Magnon.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 07:40:44
ID: 1058610

mollwollfumble said:

That pic was a bit big so I was just meaning to link it!

mollwollfumble said:

OK, so what do we call these groupings these days? Eg what do we now call “ovularia”?

That one stumped me. The only ovularia I know of is a fungus.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 07:43:21
ID: 1058617

mollwollfumble said:

Here’s an evolution of the human skull. From Java man to Piltdown to Neanderthal to Cro Magnon.

I wonder if we could create a full proof fake skull with modern technology, I probably say no but whose knows

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 07:46:04
ID: 1058620

Cymek said:

mollwollfumble said:

I wonder if we could create a full proof fake skull with modern technology, I probably say no but whose knows

Piltdown man was like the moon landing.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 07:52:10
ID: 1058624

There are so many send-ups of this. don’t post them here.

This is the silhouette version, the original came with a bar chart and with each pre-human greyscale etched with fur. Why is this bad? Because we now realise that most of these are side-branches. Particularly “advanced Australopithecus”.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 07:53:25
ID: 1058626

mollwollfumble said:

There are so many send-ups of this. don’t post them here.

Awwww

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 07:56:02
ID: 1058627

¿ don’t they qualify as bad evolution diagrams

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 08:12:50
ID: 1058633

I was trying to find a bad evolutionary chart that lumped dinosaurs with other reptiles and had birds separately. I haven’t found one yet, but this one is pretty awful as well.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 08:13:52
ID: 1058634

mollwollfumble said:

I was trying to find a bad evolutionary chart that lumped dinosaurs with other reptiles and had birds separately. I haven’t found one yet, but this one is pretty awful as well.

Reptilia is a completely bullshit group

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 08:39:56
ID: 1058641

I would appreciate your feedback on this evolutionary tree.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 08:42:15
ID: 1058643

mollwollfumble said:

It’s amazing

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 08:45:50
ID: 1058648

dv said:

mollwollfumble said:

http://pre12.deviantart.net/6e3f/th/pre/f/2015/359/5/4/the_cartoon_guide_to_vertebrate_evolution_by_albertonykus-d94erxy.png

It’s amazing

Is there a high res version?

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 08:48:56
ID: 1058655

dv said:

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

You worry me sometimes.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 08:50:39
ID: 1058658

roughbarked said:

dv said:

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

You worry me sometimes.

That’s quite flattering.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 08:52:30
ID: 1058661

dv said:

roughbarked said:

dv said:

You worry me sometimes.

That’s quite flattering.

That’s even more of a worry.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 08:55:09
ID: 1058665

roughbarked said:

dv said:

roughbarked said:

You worry me sometimes.

That’s quite flattering.

You really shouldn’t worry so much. Go down to Nature’s Way and get some worrywort.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 08:57:02
ID: 1058667

dv said:

roughbarked said:

dv said:

That’s quite flattering.

You really shouldn’t worry so much. Go down to Nature’s Way and get some worrywort.

demeaning doesn’t become you.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 08:57:34
ID: 1058668

roughbarked said:

dv said:

roughbarked said:

demeaning doesn’t become you.

I wasn’t intending to demean you.

Reply Quote

Date: 29/04/2017 10:41:26
ID: 1058752

The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

mollwollfumble said:

http://pre12.deviantart.net/6e3f/th/pre/f/2015/359/5/4/the_cartoon_guide_to_vertebrate_evolution_by_albertonykus-d94erxy.png

It’s amazing

Is there a high res version?

Resolution 4000*2667 at
http://albertonykus.deviantart.com/art/The-Cartoon-Guide-to-Vertebrate-Evolution-551603446

The tortoise is saying “have you guys figured out where we go yet?” to which the answer I think is “yes”.

I think the group name “vertebrates” is in the wrong place, isn’t it? Shouldn’t it say “chordates”? I don’t think that the lancelet is considered a vertebrate.

But I could be wrong, wikipedia says “The vertebrates traditionally include the hagfish, which do not have proper vertebrae due to their loss in evolution”. No, I’m right, “The cephalochordates, or lancelets, comprise one of the three subphyla in the phylum Chordata, the other two being the vertebrates and tunicates.” So the hagfish evolved from the lancelet not the other way around. ?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/05/2017 08:33:40
ID: 1061852

First draft.

I haven’t put in the extinct groups yet.

It is possible that it is better not to spread it like this: after all, each of these divergences is a simple speciation, when it happens.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/05/2017 08:39:15
ID: 1061853

That’s certainly an improvement.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/05/2017 08:56:42
ID: 1061876

Thanks.

In preparing this, I was surprised to learn how out on its own the Aye-aye is. It has no common ancestors with any other living animal more recent than 48 million years. It’s really the last of its kind.

Also surprised to learn how many critically endangered primates there are, some of them with fewer than 100 individuals left.
Reply Quote

Date: 6/05/2017 08:59:31
ID: 1061878

dv said:

Thanks.

In preparing this, I was surprised to learn how out on its own the Aye-aye is. It has no common ancestors with any other living animal more recent than 48 million years. It’s really the last of its kind.

Also surprised to learn how many critically endangered primates there are, some of them with fewer than 100 individuals left.

Yes, it’s depressing.

Reply Quote